Speaker 1: First of all, you don't know me.
Speaker 2: We all about that high school drama, girl drama, girl, all about them.
Speaker 3: High school queens.
Speaker 2: We'll take you for a ride, and our comic girl sharing for the right drama Queens of girl fashion, but your tough girl, you could sit with us.
Speaker 1: Girl Drama, Queens, Drama, Quise drama, Queens Drama Drama, Queens Drama Queens.
Speaker 4: Well, hello everyone, welcome back.
Speaker 5: You have me and Sophia today. Hi lays out of pocket.
Speaker 4: I think that's what that means, right out of pocket, I'm on my phone, out of the house.
Speaker 5: Is that what it used to mean?
Speaker 4: And now it just means I'm unavailable?
Speaker 3: Yeah, like you're Yeah, you're out out of pocket. It became I think, the sort of colloquialism for like out of ranger, out.
Speaker 4: Of office, right, But it didn't. It used to be like I'll be on my cell phone out of my pocket. My phone is in my pocket the office, I'll be out, But now it's something different, so I always get a little confused.
Speaker 3: But anyway, yeah, because now it's like you're actually unreachable. But no one's unreachable because we carry computers in our pockets, which is deeply stressful for all of us.
Speaker 4: Yes, yeah, let's talk about that. Okay, well, thanks, thanks everybody for joining us.
Speaker 5: So for do we have?
Speaker 4: What do we have today?
Speaker 5: Well, let me tell you joy.
Speaker 3: Today we have season six, Episode ten. Even fairy Tale characters would be jealous. This originally aired November tenth, two thousand and eight. Would you like me to tell you what the episode is about? Would you please tell me what the episode is about? Don Yes, yes, darlinge, I can, I can read the synops this foril. On the day of Peyton's USO concert, Haley battles stage fright, and Nathan is visited by an old friend, which makes him question a decision that could change his career. Brooke gets a call that threatens her relationship with Sam. Millicent confronts Marvin about his relationship with Gigi. Lucas tries to pull out of working with Julian after learning the news of Peyton and Julian's past. Angels and Airwaves makes a guest appearance, and this episode was directed by Sweetheart Janice.
Speaker 4: Cook Yes and written by Nikki Scheffelbain. We love both of them, Oh my gosh.
Speaker 5: Okay.
Speaker 4: First of all, Angels and airwaves was so great, and so it was really fun to see your face at the table when you're talking to Okay, So here's the thing. My daughter, who's thirteen, has a constant loop running in her mind that she never fails to remind me of, which is, Mom, you are not cool.
Speaker 5: Oh that's nice.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's great, great for the ego.
Speaker 4: So when you were sitting at that breakfast table looking at Sam and you said, are you so excited about angels and air rails, I don't know, that's it. You put your hands up, you made that face, and the way she looked at you was the way my daughter looks at me, reminding me that I'm not cool. Nevertheless, Angels and airwaves was really great.
Speaker 3: They were so great. It was also I just remember, I have such a sense memory. This is one of those episodes that I feel like in my bones, you know, I remember the way everything smelled, and like how windy it was. It was one of those nights when we were on the base where it was so warm but the wind was crazy, those like perfect nights you get in the South. But you know, I grew up in California, Like I was a hardcore blank one eighty two fan that was my era, and so Tom DeLong coming with his new band on our show.
Speaker 5: I was just like, oh my god.
Speaker 3: And he was the sweetest, just like such a genuinely kind man to all of us, to everyone on the base. I was really so impressed because he was like a larger than life, you know, famous figure to me when he showed up and he was just like great to everybody.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that was cool.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the whole band was. Everybody was just super professional. And it's always I think it was always a little strange for bands coming in because it's a TV show and they did music videos and they did a lot of concerts, but they didn't do TV shows, and so this might have been a little easier for them than a trick kind of situation because it really was a full I mean, we really did a full concert for the entire base.
Speaker 5: It was Le June.
Speaker 3: Right in my head it was Jacksonville Air Force Base. But I'm like, oh, maybe we were just in Jacksonville on a different base. Like it all starts to mash together.
Speaker 4: They were like, did we go to a did we say it was the Marines, but we went somewhere else.
Speaker 3: I think so I'm not sure if it was an air Force base or an army base. But Derek, you know, the character Derek, Real Derek, was established as a marine, but I'm pretty sure I felt like it was a different base. Guys, I'm sorry this None of none of our muddy memories are like interesting to listen to us try to figure.
Speaker 5: Out at all. We're just like, what was it? Hold on?
Speaker 4: It was so long ago, quick read the phone book.
Speaker 3: But it was such a cool experience, and I remember how special it felt to go up there because Jacksonville's only forty five minutes from Wilmington, and it was the reason that you know, like on weekends if we went to shows at Level five or you know, out to the bars or whatever, there were always you know, people from the bases on their weekends off like partying in Wilmington, and so it was really cool to be able to go and do something personal for them. It was really really special, you know. I know Hillary mentioned last week, and obviously she's not here this week to talk about it, but her friend Scott had passed away and it really meant a lot to her to be able to do something with the USO. And so it was this thing where it felt like a way for us to give back to part of our local community, and it was so personal to her that I just remember even then knowing like this is really special.
Speaker 4: I had never been on a base before at all. Had you on a military base?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 3: No, my granddad was a Navy man, but you know that was obviously so long before I was born, So there's there's such like a deep respect for service.
Speaker 5: In my family. Yeah, me too.
Speaker 3: It really was getting to know folks at the USO thanks to Hill, that led me to eventually go on a USO tour and I visited a bunch of Air Force bases in Germany and Turkey Great which, Yeah, it's like always really fun when I when I'm around Air Force guys. Now we like trade stories and it's it's such a you know, it's such an incredible thing, I think, to devote your life to something like that. But it was neat that we got to do this like basically in.
Speaker 4: Our own backyard. Yeah, it was so close.
Speaker 3: And then the interesting thing of putting on a concert for everyone there, all the families on the base. It was also kind of a trip because to your point earlier, we had a TV show to shoot, so like we would do a take and then we'd have to do another one, and we were like, guys, bear with us. There's going to be like a bunch of weird repeated things. But then when the bands play, they will actually just play.
Speaker 5: That's right. They organized it very well that day.
Speaker 4: And I remember this because when we got there, we were filming all day long. We filmed all the scenes, all the backstage scenes, all all of this stuff that was happening, even that was supposed to be happening during the concert backstage. We shot all that ahead of time because we were only going to have the crowd for you know, certain a certain number of hours, and we didn't want to tell the crowd. The crowd wasn't part of our show.
Speaker 5: The crowd was. We were putting on a show for that, right, right.
Speaker 3: They weren't like normal extras who are used, who are like, yeah, we signed up for a sixteen hour day to day.
Speaker 4: It wasn't that yeah, yeah, especially since a lot of them, I mean most of them were military families and yeah, you know, we're not going to show up and go, you know, hey, please serve us more.
Speaker 5: Now we're here for you. So we did.
Speaker 4: We did get to shoot a lot of this stuff ahead of time, and then once the night started setting in and we really shot that concert, they had hurt. They been rehearsing with the cameras all day long. This is before drones were in action, so there were three or four giant, giant cranes with cameras attached to them. We brought in extra crew from Atlanta and possibly some guys down from New.
Speaker 5: York too, who were really.
Speaker 4: Adept at filming these big concert things that our directors just didn't have the experience with. And then Janis had the pleasure of practice, you know, rehearsing for that all week long, all prepping for that all month, and I was surprised it went really smoothly.
Speaker 5: I really I was.
Speaker 3: Really blown away. Yeah, it was a really cool thing to watch. And I think that was part of the luxury of being six years into our show. We had such a good rhythm and we functioned so well that they were able to take on this really big project and do this weird hybrid thing where it was a storyline for a show, but it was an actual event for the troops happening at the same time, and it was pretty wild.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was. It was nerve wracking. And also watching this was kind of cringey for me because it was I anytime I'm performing live is always a little cringey for me to watch back way. Why I just don't I'm too I just judgement. I'm too hard on myself. I'm too hard on myself in life anyway. So then to also have to watch my performances. I know there's some artists who really enjoy it, like they they they learned so much because they can glean what went wrong and what didn't. I haven't evolved to that state yet. I would like to working on it, but yeah, and it was weird. Is it's such a weird time in my life. And it just felt like, I mean a lot of the a lot of the band members were people that I was, you know, that I knew really well that I was like, you know, had relationships with outside of the show, but that weren't I wasn't in an actual band with. And it was just so strange.
Speaker 5: So it was hard.
Speaker 4: And that God, that red dress, I like it.
Speaker 3: It reminds me of the promo dress, the what that like red and white promo dress from earlier seasons when your hair was really blonde and curly and long like it gave me like flashbacks to earlier days of the show.
Speaker 4: I liked it, Thank you.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Well yeah, anyway, the concert was fun. We had a good time. Also hilarious. Did you notice the scene where Peyton and Sam and Derek are yelling at each other. They're backstage and clearly somebody told them there's gonna be really loud music. Yeah, so you guys have to do all your things, yell over.
Speaker 3: The music, shout at each other, and no one is shouting in any other scene.
Speaker 5: No, but there also wasn't loud music.
Speaker 4: They walked off the stage to a section where there was no loud music, so it was just.
Speaker 5: People yelling at each other like community theater.
Speaker 3: It was so funny, it was so insane. That's one of those things that happens where you're really just trying your best to guess how things that you're filming on completely different days are gonna cut together. You have no idea what it's going to be, and in the in the sound mix, you're like, oh, it was really a shame. They didn't do any takes where they weren't all screaming over a concert that we've decided doesn't exist, is basically going to dim down to like background elevator music behind every scene.
Speaker 5: What are you going to do with that matting?
Speaker 3: That call from the adoption agency so bad?
Speaker 4: It is so bad?
Speaker 3: Okay, where do we go? Because obviously shooting the concert was wild. We've got a lot of technicalities, you know, that were first for us. Despite the fact that we'd shot so much music and trick, this was you know, a big undertaking and a big episode for all of these characters emotionally in their relationship. I loved when Lucas comes to tell Haley and Nathan about the Peyton and Julian history and you're like, oh, I just love when the drama's not about us, Like it was actually so funny. I felt it as an audience member. I was like, oh, yeah, they're having such a nice time encouraging each other to like pursue their dreams, and everyone else is having a nightmare of a situation.
Speaker 4: Yeah, low, low drama, Low drama, Haley, this is the season of low drama, Haley.
Speaker 5: It's so nice.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that was funny. I really enjoyed the Lucas Let's start there. I'm like, I really enjoyed the lucas of it all because that was, first of all, I so deeply relate to Peyton saying stop saying okay okay. It was a fun gag, but it was so funny. That is one of my biggest pet peeves in a relationship when I communicate something and then the other person goes okay.
Speaker 5: I'm like, okay, okay, what okay? Okay? You have thoughts?
Speaker 4: Okay, I want to fight, so you're just saying okay to make it go away. Okay, you can't stand me and you don't want to listen to me anymore. Okay, you're gonna do it and you have no problem? Like what does that mean?
Speaker 5: Oh my god.
Speaker 3: The way I feel about it is, I'm like, I just poured my whole heart and soul out to you and gave you minutes of details of my innermost vulnerabilities, and the feedback is okay, hello. Like, if I've learned anything that is funny on camera in real life, probably very indicative that you're not actually a match.
Speaker 4: Hard to swallow in real life, although that is such an adhd thing to pour out every possible detail that you could ever give oh yeah, And then also on the other end, if someone is pouring all that out at me, often I get overwhelmed and so my response might be okay. But anyway, it was a fun gag, and I liked Lucas punching him at the door and then say okay, that's good, nice follow through.
Speaker 3: I really liked the turn as well, that he was just so even keel with Peyton that it freaked her out. And then he punches Julian. It's like, oh, there it is. There's the response that she's looking for, and I actually love that. As their storyline ran through the episode, in the end, she admits that she likes that he got jealous.
Speaker 4: Yes, you know, Julian is more dastardly than I expected him to be. I don't remember a lot of his storyline because we were in season six by now. We were at the point where a lot of us Aka and me were reading scripts and kind of going my line, my line, next page, next page, next page, my line. You know, you just glean what's yours. I was pulling the Antoine move because I wanted to be surprised by what was going to happen in the episode.
Speaker 5: Surprise. I didn't watch the episode, so I.
Speaker 4: Never knew a lot of what was going on, and I had no idea Julian was so dastardly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well that was I thought so funny last week when we had As on him saying that he didn't remember Julian being such a bad guy.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know, I it's funny. I do.
Speaker 3: I remembered it really clearly because we'd known each other for so long, and I was like, why are they making this like sweet human be a bad dude on our show? This is so weird and it was really interesting, you know, to see the way that they had his character turn over the years.
Speaker 5: But I think that the.
Speaker 3: That dastardly energy, as you put it, works because it you just don't know what you're going to get from this guy. And remembering what it was like to watch these episodes before we knew where Julian was going to go, it's nice to be suspicious of someone in the Peyton and Lucas world. And it does give me something to do as Brook, like when I really sit down with him, to lay down a bound. And I love that both Brooke and Milica were just like throwing the gods down with these people. But I like that Brooke was able to Yeah. I like that I was able to use my own experience as a character to be like, yeah, you've read the book, so you know, being in this love triangles not a vibe enough, Like enough.
Speaker 4: Brooke was really handling this episode. She's not fire left and right, giving advice at every turn, every corner, with Lucas explaining to him why he was being irrational.
Speaker 3: Oh, I mean, what a thing for him to be so jealous, and it's like, bro you almost married someone else. And I love when she's like, you tried to hook up with me when Peyton broke up with you. I'm ever gonna tell her, but you're an idiot, you know. And I do love the way that she is in this era, like Haley's in her no drama era, and Brooke is really in her sassy mom era. Mom Like she's momming everyone. She's momming Lucas, and she's momming Julian and she's momming Sam And it's just like I love that energy for her of being like you all are being ridiculous, even with Millicent.
Speaker 4: Oh that I was crying, cry, ying at that scene. We're only eighteen minutes into this podcast. I can't even okay.
Speaker 5: This, there's been drama of it.
Speaker 3: And she's like, but wait, so she was in your bed. He was on the couch, Sophia, I rewound it three times. You're doing it so funny.
Speaker 4: And at one point I was like, should I type this out so we can just read these lines to each other in this podcast, because.
Speaker 5: Oh my god, we should be so brilliant that she comes in.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry, guys, we're bouncing all over the place, but this is really funny. Millie comes into the apartment and she's like, there was a girl in my bed, and Brook says, are you coming out?
Speaker 5: Are you coming out? I'm happy, Okay, great.
Speaker 3: Millie's like, no, no, no, you know something about Gigi and Marvin had to sleep over and she and then my response is only you guys?
Speaker 5: That the three way? Like how amazing?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 5: And then and then no, it was just the two of that. It was just her.
Speaker 4: Okay, so she was with mouth. No, mouth is on the couch, so what's the problem.
Speaker 5: So he was a normous, good guy.
Speaker 3: I mean, I don't know why she was there, but clearly he was being like a good dude.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and then to.
Speaker 3: Learn the thing that made me do a spit take was when it hits you know, when when what Milicent is saying to Brook like hits me and we go into like, wait a second, you're saying you're a virgin? What is that? Okay, but there's other you guys have, like other relationships things, and she goes to Jay's h or b no and just every single thing to come out of Lisa. She was so stone cold. No no, not that no, no, I was sobbing. Yeah, Like I want to go back and just do more of these scenes. Hilarious for the giggle.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we needed a lot, We needed a lot more of that. I hope we get more of that to come. Yeah, but it was super satisfying your even your face, the way that you were processing. Okay, it's like finding a unicorn, finding a virgin who's living with her boyfriend and sleeping in the same bed and you're not having sex. What But the look on your face was so fascinate. You were so fascinated.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well so.
Speaker 3: And something that I remember being really important and Lisa and I had so much fun building the comedy between Brooke and Millicent in our scenes, and it felt really important to us, particularly because a lot of the women on the show got poked.
Speaker 5: About yeah sex, Yeah.
Speaker 3: In weird ways. With what we had to do with our characters. It felt really important to have it be funny and not shameful.
Speaker 5: Yeah. No, there was no judgment at all.
Speaker 3: Yeah, to not have her be embarrassed and to not have me judge her, to have it be genuine fascination of like, I don't know anyone in this position.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Brooks on the opposite end of the spectrum, She's been so just free, you know, free with what she wanted to do with herself, with her body, with her partners since she was in high school. So to encounter a grown woman who was not doing those things doing she actually was doing what she wanted with her body and her partners, but in a different way. It's just so so opposite. It's really fun.
Speaker 5: I loved it.
Speaker 3: I really really loved it.
Speaker 4: Oh I'm still crying from it.
Speaker 3: I I also there was something about the sort of revolving door in this episode at brooks house, and then in the way that she had to sort of do the same thing and run around in a circle backstage at the concert, like everyone was just spinning through the advice chair with her, and I loved it.
Speaker 4: I wish you would have just sat down with a little a little poster next to you free advice.
Speaker 5: Yea, yeah, Brooks, really she is.
Speaker 4: She's momming everyone and she said to mom herself for so long. It feels like a really good well And I don't know if this is actually well thought out or if it just happened this way, probably because you were shepherding her character so well. But to see Brooke go through that arc of starting out as just a reckless teenager and then going through all the process of trying to reunite and connect with her mother and then realizing that was never going to happen, and now she's going to have to mother herself, and now she's figured out how to do that and she's ready to mother other people. I mean, it's a really brilliant slow burn arc.
Speaker 5: Yeah yeah.
Speaker 3: And it is interesting because it leaned into something that I very naturally do, Like I am often the person who my friends come to for the advice for the thing I want to I am very solutions oriented. I like to help, Like acts of service are my big love language, and it's funny to watch that get put into this character that I loved playing so much, with so much comedy.
Speaker 5: I just really enjoy it.
Speaker 3: And even to go from you know, her figuring all of this stuff out with Millicent, to then Lucas coming to her to be like, you know and finding out like you knew about Julian and she's like, I was the practice dummy, you know, like we're not doing this, And I love that while she sort of sasses him to like get him back on track and make him realize that this double standard is utterly ridiculous, that she also, like in her sassy way, gives him some really good advice and hopefully a way to feel less threatened with that whole story about what it means to rebound and to say, like, you always fall in love with your rebound, but it isn't real.
Speaker 5: Your brain's playing a trick on you. Yeah, how does he not know that?
Speaker 1: Though?
Speaker 3: And I was like, ooh, that it feels like something we should talk about on the podcast.
Speaker 4: Yes, falling in love with the rebound. It really is such a cliche, but it's true.
Speaker 3: Aren't cliches cliches because they're so universally true.
Speaker 4: Of course they are, and that's why there's nothing wrong with them, because it's just a pattern of human behavior. It means you're not alone. It means you're normal. You're just trying to figure out life like everybody else, and we all make mistakes, and there's no way to not make a mistake.
Speaker 5: There's just no way.
Speaker 3: But it makes me giggle thinking back. I mean, on all of our last two decades, I'm like, wow, we've really all looked at each other and been like no, but it's not a rebound. I really I'm so happy and you're like, okay, I'll be here either way.
Speaker 5: Man. I know.
Speaker 4: I think back on my first relationship after my divorce and the just the things that I said to people that how sure I was, you know, the manifesto, what it was written about, how this is just like the real thing forever and ever, and oh my gosh. Now looking back, it's the cliche after cliche, and you can see all the glaring problems and you can also see all the lovely, patient people around me who were just like.
Speaker 3: We okay, okay.
Speaker 5: Exactly okay.
Speaker 3: I also think, though, it's like, come on, we we had such a wild time. Not dissimilarly to our characters, we got catapulted into very grown up life very young, the normal sort of early twenties like growing pains and stumbling things that all of our friends got to do. We had to sort of leap frog over. Yeah, And I think in a lot of ways, I mean, I know we've talked about this, but I think in a lot of ways, we all sort of went through the normal early twenties stuff in our early thirties, like once we finally got out of our set because we were sort of Groundhog's Day. And it's not lost on me that I'm like, oh man, well of course you were so there at that age, because like in a way you were also like mentally twenty five. Yes, and no shade to twenty five year olds, You're wonderful. We were fun then too, but you know, learn, you learn a lot, and now, like from this vantage point us being in our forties, I look back and I'm just like, oh man, you know what I respect about us? We really when we say something, we commit.
Speaker 4: One hundred percent. Yep, also admitted go for it. I think that's so true that we just evolve, like every stage of life has to be had. It just doesn't always happen in the traditional order. I definitely lived out my twenties and my thirties, and I definitely have even found and maybe this is something that happens to a lot of women in their forties, but I found that I'm going back to my middle schoolish, elementary, middle schoolish years and sort of hashing out some of those things and re rehaving moments. You know, you know, you're raised with ideas about who you are, and we receive messages from whoever, parents, siblings, friends, the environment, and we just take it in. We don't necessarily tell anybody that we've decided this is information that is true about us, and then we just carry it, and we carry that for the next twenty thirty years until suddenly we go, wait a second, why do I believe this about myself?
Speaker 5: We're just saying it. Why do I believe this about other people?
Speaker 4: We have to go back and start unpacking all those things. And it's funny to go back and go through a stage that wasn't had properly because of whatever circumstances were in life. And I think we just do that. We were constantly cycling through all the phases, but not necessarily in order.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, I think it's also why you hear so many people talk about how free they feel when they turn forty, because you start to realize what you're carrying that you didn't decide to pick up.
Speaker 5: Like, the biggest shift.
Speaker 3: For me in the last year is to realize I've been walking around with my arms full of stuff people have handed to me and said this is who you are, and this is what you should be doing, and this is what you owe people, and this is what and it's like, okay, okay, okay, yeah, I got it, I got it. I can handle all of this.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And then you look around one day and you go, but what do I want to carry? What do I want to do? How do I want to serve? What do I want to choose? Instead of accepting what's chosen for me, what do I want to choose for myself?
Speaker 5: Yeah? Why am I holding all this stuff? It's not mine?
Speaker 3: Yeah, It's like it's a wild and beautiful part of evolving. And all of the women in my life are like, oh, yeah, you're hitting that moment, And like all my friends in their fifties are like, ooh, this is when it gets good, and then they have all this advice about the next ten years and I'm like, I don't know, I love it. I love it.
Speaker 4: There is a not giving a shit in a really good way that feels it feels freeing. It's not callous or hard. I think that's what actually feels freeing about it is the freedom to you know, we've talked about lovingly detached frequently, but the feeling of like I don't have to close my heart off, which is kind of what I always thought I had to do in twenties and thirties, like if I'm gonna, if I'm gonna, I don't know, set a boundary, set something down, like not hold something it doesn't I used to just the only way I knew how to do it was to just put up a wall. And now it's like, I feel like I've got the freedom to be able to still have a soft heart and not have a wall, but also be okay with not holding the thing that's not mine. I mean, I'm not perfect at it, but I'm learning. And I think that's a thing in your forties that yeah, oh thank god.
Speaker 3: I think I think a softening is part of growing up for sure, and I think it's also it's part of why I appreciate some of what feels like ridiculous and funny on our show, because these characters are so young, so very often they're really like serious about things. I'm like, Brooke especially is you know, she's so intense, like you know, in the way that Austin was talking about watching some of these scenes and being like, what was I doing? Why did I seem like such a creep? As Julian I'm watching myself in this episode and I'm loving so.
Speaker 5: Much of it.
Speaker 3: I love the dialogue, I love the energy. And then I'm telling Sam she's going to be safe with me and I'm never going to kick her out of the house. And I was like, what was I doing? Why was I communicating with her? Like it was so serious? I was like, that is not how I would have said that now. None of those words would I have chosen to do in that way as the actor I am today?
Speaker 5: What would you have done differently? I don't know.
Speaker 3: I think at like twenty five, I was like, I don't know how to talk to a teenager about how they get to live with me, Like, I, what does that mean? And you know, I was so like no, And I don't know, I was like grimacing at her, maybe because it felt so serious, but I was like, oh man, I would now I would be like, come with me to a quiet spot and like look at me and tell me what you're afraid of, and let me tell you I'm here like I It would.
Speaker 5: Just be so different.
Speaker 3: And I was like, oh, man, look at me as a little kid trying to pretend like I knew what grown ups.
Speaker 5: Did, right, isn't this how we do it? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Like like silly relationship advice among all of us tracked for me. Oh yeah, but like you are my child and you will live with me and you will never be kicked out on the street.
Speaker 4: I'm like, because Victoria never did that for her. Victoria was always so ambiguous and so noncommittal that, of course she went, we always do the opposite of whatever our mothers do, and then we turn out to be our mothers of course somehow, But of course she's doing exactly the opposite of what she received from Victoria. I actually think that scene really worked because I think Sam's character needed that she needed somebody.
Speaker 5: To fight for her.
Speaker 4: She sat across the table from so many social workers and therapists and probably a lot of foster parents who were you know, gentle and soft, and it didn't match her. She has a bubbling swamp of complication and anger and frustration and all of these things inside of her that to be met with someone that sees that and can combat it, and not just combat it, but hold space for it and even overpower it. That felt. Really.
Speaker 5: I think that's why she was crying. The look on her face.
Speaker 4: My god, she's such a good actress, and I know she's such a CUTEI Okay, fine, maybe I don't dislike it as much as I thought I did, but I would we would handle it differently now, for Yeah, for sure, that's why she needed the Brook though.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's interesting to me that in the way that Brooke is being so firm with so many people I love, you know, especially like she's really firm with Sam lovingly, and then she lays down the law with Lucas and lays down the law with Julian, and like, is really doing all these things. I loved seeing Millie mirror that, because Milly and Brooke have been there for each other so much in this you know, business evolution of our of our show and close over Rose being what it is, and to see her go and then lay down the law with Gig, I.
Speaker 5: Was like, yes, Millie go, Yes, Yes, I loved it.
Speaker 4: That was a really interesting storyline.
Speaker 5: I have to say.
Speaker 4: I was looking forward to them coming back to see what was going to happen. I man, the Gigi thing is it bothers me a lot?
Speaker 5: Me too.
Speaker 4: As I said before, it doesn't read like a young woman in charge of her sexuality and who knows who she is and knows what she wants. It reads trauma to me, and.
Speaker 3: Well, and what it is is a grown man writing his fantasies for how women would approach him. Yeah, and essentially breadcrumbing that, like, well, what's a guy to do in these hot girls in short skirts? Just keep hitting on him. It's the same thing that they did with Uncle Cooper with the Rachel storyline years ago. Oh that's right, but she's she's in her cheerleading uniform and she's taking off her clothes and yeah, she's only seventeen, But what's he to do? It's like, it's so.
Speaker 4: For me, this is so the like it still reeks of that nineties purity culture that I particularly grew up in in the evandelical church of like, but you know, men are just like, Well, we get two messages. The first is the men are the most important and most powerful, but the second is men are weak and they just can't handle.
Speaker 3: What are they to do if you're wearing a tank top around them?
Speaker 5: Oh? No, God, the bit spaghetti straps.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the amount of times I got dress coded.
Speaker 5: But like, it's just so, it's so.
Speaker 4: Wrong. Offensive, all of the above, oppressive, all of the above, And so I felt like that's what I was watching, more of of that. Oh yeah, we're all just sirens. Wait, got god forbid? A shoulder happens to be seen or an ankle.
Speaker 5: And what it.
Speaker 3: Also does is like Gigi's entire job here is to be inappropriate and throw herself at this man. She has no input on work, no thoughts about.
Speaker 4: I wrote this in my notes. I wish we knew she was amazing at her job. Yeah, you know, just because it felt like that would give me some context for why she's still around. Yeah, because otherwise it really makes mouth look like genuinely weak, because why is he not just being like, go go home, I don't want you working for me. I don't want you in my life. I don't want you in my relationship. This is inappropriate. I'm calling hr go. But if she was exceptional at her job, now we have some complication and some drama, like I can't fire her, she's you know, she's the best out there, or she's like, I don't know, I ran out of things to say.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if she had the same sort of sports knowledge that Mouth does. Remember when he has his save the Day scene episodes ago, where you know, the announcer fails and so he's like, this is what happened, and you know, he becomes this incredible sports guy. If if Gigi knew more about sports than Mouth and was like a badass camera woman and together, it's like, let's pull the footage from the you know, nineteen ninety nine state championship and that you would love their working dynamic. And then if she said something inappropriate to him or whatever, it would it would slide in between their greater relationship in their work and it would actually be human and interesting. Yes exactly, But you know, I mean, what a credit to Kelsey because she's she's been given essentially one thing to say over and over and over again for months and she is so bubbly and dynamic and funny that she's still so enjoyable to watch. She is like, I hate this character now, yeah, I hate what they made her do, but I love watching her and I love her presence. And it was so nice to see her have a more human moment at the end of the episode and apologize and say I'm really not I don't want to get in the middle of your relationship. I'll try to be better. I was like, oh, I just want to see more of Kelsey growing and acting, like I want to just watch her.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we got to get her on the show. Yeah, guys, we have talked with her a little bit back and forth. She's always flying off to this and that.
Speaker 3: Well she's so busy shooting.
Speaker 4: I know she's so busy, but we're going to get her on because I do have a lot of questions for her about she was so young when she joined the show, and then even coming on a few years later, it was still I mean, was she probably nineteen or twenty there in today's episode, Yeah, I mean if that, yeah, yeah, I wonder what her thoughts were on that and her parents and if she had these discussions with her parents, or does she just like show up and say all these lines and wake up in boys' beds and be like.
Speaker 5: Okay, mom, be like sure.
Speaker 4: You know she was just so sweet and probably and you know who else we had back was Quentin.
Speaker 3: I was so happy to see Robbie.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Also, I really appreciate the way he and James played those scenes because they could have felt so weird, and and the way when Quentin pops up in front of Nathan, James does the startle thing. Yeah, and like they just they put just enough humor in it that it made it work instead of having it be the weirdest thing that could happen, you know, but they didn't take themselves too seriously to just the perfect, like little dial up of humor.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I wasn't quite sure where they landed with all of the with their conversation though, were you, Because it seemed like he was saying, no, it's good, I don't need to play slamball. I'm good. I like my family. Then Quenton was like, yeah, no, but you have more to offer them if you're following your dream And then Nathan says, hey to Haley, let's always follow our dreams. Yeah, but maybe he's still staying home.
Speaker 5: I don't know. I was confused. It felt to me.
Speaker 3: Like Quentin was pushing him to be his biggest self, you know, as you said, I thought it was really sweet that with Derek you spoke about your family being so central, and then with Quentin, Nathan spoke about his family being so central.
Speaker 5: But when he says, then you.
Speaker 3: Owe it to them to be the best version of yourself, and then you come home, and I felt like Nathan was beginning to travel down the road of you should be doing your music and I should be I should be chasing my dreams too. And we know it's not going to be Slamball because they just won the championship. But what will that mean? Will he try to play basketball? Will he try to be a coach? I mean, obviously we know where the show goes.
Speaker 4: Well, he couldn't go back and play Slamball in the next season.
Speaker 3: I don't actually know what happens immediately, but I just know where we'd wind up. And I'm like, well, he'll.
Speaker 5: Chase his dream too.
Speaker 3: But it is interesting to me that it feels like he's beginning to bread crum a conversation based on this, you know, experience he's had, you know, with this imagined or whatever conversation he's had to.
Speaker 4: Love the Quinton walking through the wall, the good old Highway to Heaven and walking on that was really funny. Great, Yeah, that is it's a he's starting the conversation. That's a very real thing. I don't know how well I can relate to it because I raised my daughter on my own, and I was working and raising her at the same time, and that was you know, really my only option was to work and also have help and be home with her. But there are a lot of people who who let go of dreams for the sake of, yeah, staying home with her family, because that becomes a bigger dream, or maybe it always has been, or maybe it's out of necessity. You know, not everybody gets the privilege of following their dreams the way that they want to.
Speaker 3: Well, and I think there is a practical reality that there is always a trade.
Speaker 4: Off, right, like, yeah, to everything you say yes to, you're saying no to something else.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: And you know, obviously it didn't land where I thought it would, but like I took a year off in pursuit of the family dream. Yeah, and it's a it's a very weird thing when you cross the bridge and you realize it's not the bridge you thought it was going to be and yeah, and you you don't get that time back. Yeah, And you know, no matter what it is, there's no way to hold everything you want to do at the same time. You can, It's like that adage, right, you can have it all, just not at the same time.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: The sort of.
Speaker 3: Seesaw of it, you know, as a single mom. You know, so many of our friends know as you know, either single parents or one half of like very of c who have to travel for work, Like in whatever way we experience it. The trade offs are big and it's a hard thing to do. And so it is very interesting to watch both Haley and Nathan in this drama free time in their relationship ponder their joy but also what more they might want for themselves.
Speaker 4: Yeah, what is this going to look like for us? How do we do we want more kids? Do we want to go off and pursue music and sports and yeah, all of these things that we want, you know, how how and also the idea of it is it all about just us and our dreams and my individual dream and your dream and is there is service involved, is community involved? It's it's such a Western ideal to think it's all about me and me accomplishing my dream and me fulfilling what I want. There's so many culture in the world where the community is the most important thing. Your family is the most centric thing, and you do what you can to sacrifice for them, and and fulfillment comes in so many different ways that yeah, it's funny. It's funny to go through the motions of chasing the thing that you think you want then getting it and being like this is not being like, uh oh what I wanted?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Like, whose life is this?
Speaker 4: Right? Right?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 3: Well, it's really interesting. You know, my best friend and I have this conversation a lot that one of the things we really love about each other and our friendship is that we are we said it earlier, you and I like we are all in kind of people. Yeah, and we've both learned to not be afraid to be like, I gave it my all and you know what, it's not for me? Yeah, okay, next, like, yeah, And I think there's something really interesting about that. And I think the tesselations of that experience.
Speaker 4: Ooh, what's that word mean like like remember.
Speaker 3: When we would do did you ever study esher tesselations in math? Like the shapes that repeat in every direction and so like no matter which way you look at them, they go on sort of forever. So this sort of like like there would be a chair and then it would rotate around and around and around. I'll send you a thing about it. But this is essentially the idea when you think about like you could have this experience where you get something and then you go, I thought I wanted this and I don't, or I thought this was really good for me, and I realized this is a toxic dynamic however you define it, not for me moving on or like one one tesselation over. It's the same life. But let's take Haley and Nathan for example. You're in this moment where your family life feels really good, your romance feels really good, your kid is doing great. You're both really happy, but maybe you're happier in the we than in the individual me and you go, I did like being on stage tonight. I did really miss it. I love that thing that I do. And he's like, yeah, I do want to be here for my family, and I also love basketball, and you have to sort of figure out how you have what you love and also might want more. And like you were saying about community and sacrifice, and we were saying earlier about the sort of seesaw you can have it, but maybe not all at the same time. How do you start to figure out what side goes up and what side goes down, and how you can achieve your goals but also be in your family or you know whatever. And I like getting to see you guys do that. Yeah, because more often than not on our show, we just have these characters with these illogically phenomenal successful lives. Yes, And I just like seeing a family trying to figure out like what they want. Yeah it feels nice.
Speaker 4: It does nice and normal and no drama.
Speaker 5: Yeah it's good. That's what my not.
Speaker 4: It's a glimpse of two people fighting for each other and themselves.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Just we're just on the same page. We're gonna figure it out and just stay with me.
Speaker 3: Well, and what I like too, is that that idea, this nugget of don't give up on your dreams. If you're lucky enough to be alive and to have a chance, don't you throw it away and I like that. You see that breadcrumbing with Nathan and Hayley, and then it cuts to Peyton and she does the same thing for Lucas, and she's like, you cannot give up on this movie because you don't.
Speaker 5: Like this guy.
Speaker 3: No way. You have to go after your dream like you're lucky enough to be getting it. It's gonna come true. You have to be a part of it. And I really I like that.
Speaker 4: Yes, I'm excited this felt. I liked this episode because it felt like a good bridge there there was aside from just enjoying watching us and seeing Kate vogelback Mia. By the way, Mia and Sam, I loved that dynamic.
Speaker 3: That was so great.
Speaker 4: I don't know if we get more of that, but I hope we do.
Speaker 3: I'm just so bummed that the term boomer, like in the way we use it now, wasn't in the lexicon then, because I would have given anything for me to be like, yeah, I mean Brooke and Payton and Haley are cool, but like their boomers call me.
Speaker 5: You know, that would have been great. It would have been so great.
Speaker 4: I was a little like she said that, I know, but then but then I was like, no, she's right. She's right. Saman's a very cool girl to hang out with, good influence.
Speaker 5: But as much as it was, you know, we got to the.
Speaker 4: Fun of seeing Mia and then angels and airwaves and I loved that. But amidst all of it, just starting to piece together the things that are leading to whatever's coming next. I thought Nikki did a really nice job of weaving all that together in an interesting way. There was never a moment that I was bored, which sometimes these episodes can for me. If it's a bridge episode that's setting up new things, Yeah, it can start to feel a little expositional and boring.
Speaker 5: YE didn't feel that way.
Speaker 3: I didn't either. I really thought they did a good job. I actually even I had a note that earlier in the episode, in an early scene with you and James, when Nathan's encouraging you and you're talking about, you know, having had the nightmare, he brings you back to that, remember the first time you sang for me in the cafe. Yeah, and it's it is exposition. But it was so well done. It really just felt like a great story in a romance. And I literally was like, the cafe story is exposition done right.
Speaker 5: Exactly.
Speaker 4: Oh good, remember this?
Speaker 3: Remember? But yeah, it was a lovely It was just a lovely throwback. Nikki did such a great job making this all feel real.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Well, do we have fan questions?
Speaker 3: We sure do. And actually this is a good one for you. It's from Riley and it says, back in two thousand and eight, I remember hearing rumors in the media that Nathan and Haley were going to adopt a child. Was there ever going to be a storyline that Haley and Nathan adopted Sam? Or was it always meant to be Brooke who adopted Sam?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 3: Did you ever think Haley and Nathan were going to adopt?
Speaker 4: Okay, it sounds familiar, but I don't know if that's because I wanted to, Like I've always wanted to adopt at some point in my life, So I don't know if that was just a discussion that maybe I.
Speaker 5: Had with that. I don't know.
Speaker 4: Did you ever hear anything about this?
Speaker 3: Here's the thing this I do not ever remember hearing this, But I also earlier today on a call, was reminded of it speaking engagement that I did years ago where I interviewed like a very famous author. And when I tell you until I was reminded of it. I literally had no recollection. Like if you'd ask me if i'd met this man, I'd be like no, but he's.
Speaker 5: In like ever, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: Like, I'd be like no, and then I was.
Speaker 4: Like, oh, yeah, I interviewed. I've got people I got in my life.
Speaker 3: But it was like such an out of context random thing to do that my brain forgot about it. Yeah, So as I'm reading Riley's question, I'm like, I don't ever remember hearing that rumor. But that doesn't mean that it didn't exist.
Speaker 4: Totally possible.
Speaker 3: I know that the Sam storyline was always in Brooks sort of vertical because Sam shoplifted from her and then we get where we get with Xavier later with the Sam overlap. It was always really wrapped up with her for me. Yeah, I think the you know, the thing that was a bummer for me was not being able to keep Ashley on the show with us, Like, I don't know, I think it would have been kind of cool if she'd always stuck around.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it definitely would, but she.
Speaker 3: Needed to go star on her own TV show, so good.
Speaker 4: For her, that's right. Yeah, that would have been really cool. No, I think Sam was always meant for Brooke. She had to have been. But it would have been cool if Nathan and Haley had adopted that, that would have been great.
Speaker 5: That would have been neat.
Speaker 4: Yeah, set a really great example. Actually an honorable mention? Oh gosh, what do you got?
Speaker 3: What was your honorable mention?
Speaker 4: I didn't think about that this episode. I mean, can I make the scene between you and Millie my honor moment?
Speaker 5: Honestly, it's fine.
Speaker 3: Yes, I want us to do a dramatic reading next week, so bad.
Speaker 4: I wish we had the script one hundred percent would read that with you right now. I was, I'm not kidding her, everywounded three times, crying, laughing.
Speaker 5: Oh my god, so good. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I thank god was wearing a black sweatsuit because I did a full, actual spit take with coffee and was like, here we go.
Speaker 4: Cut to sophiatur Anthony's cleaning coffee off the carpet in the hotel room.
Speaker 3: The fascination on my face and the absolute blank on Lisa's. I'll never forget it, I'll never feel wheel. Yeah, let's see what a're most likely to is this week? Is it going to be most likely to move in with their boyfriend and never sleep with them.
Speaker 4: Oh, speaking of Sam, most.
Speaker 3: Likely to get arrested for shoplifting, I mean, well, yeah, on the show, it would absolutely be Sam Roope just didn't call the cops.
Speaker 5: That's right, that's right.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, we enjoyed we got arrested for shoplifting. And really, you guys are the clothes over bros clothes?
Speaker 5: That's right.
Speaker 3: Like there's a famous photo of you and me and Hillary in jail on the show for that.
Speaker 4: Oh, that's right, that was funny. I forgot only time I've ever worn an orange jumpsuit. Yeah, I don't know who in real life, I don't know who. Well, who would shoplift and then also get arrested for it.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I'm too much of a chicken, no way. I can't even steal a pack of gum. I'd go home and not be able to fall asleep.
Speaker 3: I was like helping work at a fair at my school in the fourth grade, and I like picked up an eraser from one of the tables, and I don't know if I meant to or I just forgot her. I was walking around whatever two hours later, Like I realize I have an eraser in my pocket and I'm sobbing, and I'm like, I took this, I stole it. I hadn't even gone home. I was like sobbing hysterically, and I don't know like it. I think it scarred me.
Speaker 4: For like sobbing because you thought you were going to be in trouble or.
Speaker 3: You, I mean maybe or I felt bad because I had put something in my pocket that didn't belong to me.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I don't know what my plan was, like, I don't remember obviously, the more my brain was thinking in the fourth fourth grade, just like the hysterical weeping at like the shame that I felt absolutely not I couldn't.
Speaker 4: It's not yeah me, no, no, I'm not a not a stealer. I don't know anyone on our show who is. I mean, the only thing I could think of is someone who was like maybe trying to do something sneaky for fun and then it was bad at it. I don't know even who that would be though, either who would be bad at shoplifting if they had to do it.
Speaker 3: We're not good at this question.
Speaker 5: Probably Hillary.
Speaker 4: I feel like she would try and be like sneaky superspy and would just be clumsy and I don't know.
Speaker 3: Well, maybe the moral of the story is we should just all like try to not steal.
Speaker 4: I think that's a good moral of the story. Don't steal.
Speaker 3: Probably what's good?
Speaker 5: All right?
Speaker 4: Next episode, Season six, Episode eleven, wee three, my echo, my shadow and me sounds email. Something's gonna happen. Well, thanks for joining us, everybody. This was fun. See you next week, pals. Bye, Hey, thanks for listening.
Speaker 3: Don't forget to leave us a review. You can also follow us on Instagram at Drama Queen's ot.
Speaker 4: Or email us at Drama Queens at iHeartRadio dot com.
Speaker 5: See you next time.
Speaker 2: We all about that high school drama Girl Drama Girl all about from high school Queens will take you for a ride, and our comic girl cheering for the right teams Drama Queens, My girl, rough girl fashion but your tough girl.
Speaker 1: You could sit with us Girl Drama Queens, Drama, Queise Drama, Queens Drama Drama Queens, Drama Queens