Speaker 1: I was thinking, since mister Wilfordilla is not here, I know, what a bummer that we can talk directing. Oh yeah, talk about directing actors, those pisky actors.
Speaker 2: I was like, yeah, what's I mean? Because I love geeking out with you about this stuff.
Speaker 1: Because you're doing it all the time, and it's one of my favorite things because it's like having come from the other side, you know, like you get so used to so many different types of directors, so many bad directors, and like you know, and like the number one thing that scares the crap out of directors is talking to actors, Like if they've never been an actor, that's the number one thing. And so we have this like superpower just by having been an actor. So we walk onto a set and all the acts are so much happier with all comfortable, so comfortable, and they'll listen to us so much, so we just get a pass like automatically.
Speaker 2: And so I just wanted to hear, like how do you give notes? Like what do you do?
Speaker 1: How do you like go from take to take? Or like I don't know, I just wanted to geek out a little bit about it.
Speaker 3: Well, so much of what I remember being difficult about being an actor, and was was truly just the lack of information you get. We've talked about it a lot on the show how you'll hear hubbub and you'll hear talking, talking, talking, and then and then there's lots of time that passes last five, ten, sometimes even fifteen minutes, and no one comes and tells you what's going on.
Speaker 1: It's ten minutes of doubt and correct and eleit insecurity.
Speaker 3: All you spend all let's say, nine of those ten minutes. The first the first minute is oh, something went wrong, We're gonna We're gonna start again. The next nine minutes is you going through all the ways it was your fault, you screwed it up, your ugly face, your stupid body, your your inability to say words, and you just start and then by the time then they're ready to go, it's like, okay, it's time to go.
Speaker 1: And then it could go through past that too, well, why did they This show sucks anyway?
Speaker 2: And it was obviously the other it's like it's goes too long.
Speaker 1: Then by the time the director walks in, you're like, well, are you guys ready to do this stupid awful thing?
Speaker 2: Right? It's like it can go past. It's like because then the actors.
Speaker 1: Could start turning, especially when their boat if it's more than one, they're well, what's going on? I don't know, Well it couldn't have been us.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, so it wasn't me. Okay, yeah, so you can't No.
Speaker 1: That's my number one thing is the silence after cut. Like that's like the one thing that I always do every set. It's like, just even if it was the worst take ever and I can't scream out like yeah or just okay, just somebody has to say we got it, hold on now, we got to adjust.
Speaker 2: Because that's so true, especially on film sets.
Speaker 1: It's like at video village because these days everyone's at video Village are so far away and if there's just nothing so you don't even hear cuts. Sometimes they won't even say they're just like okay, you know. And also because you just hear a tone doesn't matter, they just keep wroing yeah exactly, and they want to like just keep and you'll just hear nothing and you're just sitting there like I did a thing.
Speaker 3: I know I did it, and anything any sort of feedback I'll take, I'll take a criticism then Just so my number one thing that I try to do is communicate with them as much as possible about what's going on. And when something happens, I always like and it's not about them, even if it is sometimes about them, I tell them, not you. This is for me, and and for me means something happened with camera, whether there was a bump or we didn't get it or whatever, like guys, I need it one more time. This is it was for me, or I go out there and I'll say, listen, they're going to do a rewrite, so it might take a few minutes. They're they're tossing around some all else wasn't you performance was great. We're just going to try to get some some different alts. And so that is.
Speaker 2: Also everybody at ease.
Speaker 3: Everybody to ease.
Speaker 2: Everybody feel like they did something that and I.
Speaker 3: Can tell them it's going to be about five or ten minutes. So get a drink of water, go sit down in your chair, have have a fun conversation amongst yourselves. We're not going to be going again in twenty seconds, so you've got a little bit of time. The other thing that I think I've had to learn to do based on depending on who you're working with. When you're working with kids, it's much easier to come out and just tell them directly this time, let's try it a different way. Let's try it, and then I can give them some sort of subtext I want them to play with, or or a bigger emotion. You know, let's this time, play it more surprised, play it more. I can. It's much easier that way. When you're working with adults, and and very sometimes very successful adults, they have already thought of all the ways that there is to do it, and they made a choice to do it that way, and so I don't want to try it a different way. I like the way I did it. Your suggestion is not as good as mine, And so a lot of times I have to win on the showrunner writer side. I'm getting a note that's like, why are they saying it like that? I think it's funnier if they say it like this, and I'm like, I can't go tell them that. So I have to be very creative in the way I can deliver that note to get the writers in the showrunner what they want while still making the actor feel like what they did was genius, but also give them the idea that they're going to come up with the idea to do it in a new way. And that part is where you have to be very creative because that translation has to happen in ten seconds. They I have to hear the note from the show runner, like why can't he just say it like this? And I have to then go, how am I going to deliver this note to this adult, very successful actor in a way that's going to make him feel comfortable wanting to try it a different way?
Speaker 2: Yep, yep.
Speaker 1: And it's that's extremely difficult on well, in television in general, but especially on like a sitcom.
Speaker 2: Set, because.
Speaker 1: I feel like in film or in single camera, there's much more of a sense throughout the whole process where the director is a collaborator with the actors, whereas on multiicam the actors often get into the sense that they're like presenting their finished performance or they're presenting their performance, and then the director is like kind of going to the other team and then coming back and there's the you know, and it's like, well, I did the thing, you know, and so you have to like what I realized is you just have to spend the whole week getting on.
Speaker 2: Their side so that by the time you're actually taping, they they they.
Speaker 1: Know that you know what they're doing and that there's like this sense of like, so, you know, so it's more like we didn't get the scene, you know, like we didn't get the thing. We got to try something, and then hopefully they can hear that as like, oh, you know, I'm this person's with me trying to get it. But I imagine if it's a gigantic name actor and who's been in the business for you know, twenty years before we were born, that's so difficult. But I my my biggest thing that you know, it's very like I and this is true with writing notes too.
Speaker 2: It's like I've learned to just tell them what I saw or tell them what I read. Do you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: And if you if you just let them know like you did this in that line, then they're like, oh, I got it, My point got across, and then they're willing to listen to Now let's try.
Speaker 2: It this way. Do you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Or you say what you saw and it isn't what they get and then they know like it's not getting out like it's right. I get that to be sad, you know, and you said I was confused, what do you mean? You know, and then they're like oh, and then you're communicating, you know, then you can adjust. But yeah, I just like running out and being like you did this thing with this and blah blah blah. And it's just sort of you know, telling them acknowledging like I saw that, and then they'll be like cool, you get me. And then you're like, I'm doing completely different right right now, Okay, we got that.
Speaker 2: You know, there's a lot of that for me. I'm always like, we got that.
Speaker 4: Cool.
Speaker 3: I love it. Yes, I always start with, oh my gosh, I love that. That was great. I loved what you did there. Now let's do it this way.
Speaker 2: You're overwhelmingly positive, right I am.
Speaker 3: I'm too Oh overwhelming. I'm just you should want to slap me in the face with how excited I am about everything you're doing.
Speaker 2: I never tell somebody they did a bad like.
Speaker 1: I mean, I would never. It's just not worth it. It's just like you, how many more bullets do you have in your gun? You know, like, let's just keep going like that was great.
Speaker 3: Even if it was, so sometimes it's not. You know, it's like it's like if you're alerting, you think about everything the actor has to do out there. It is like a dance every time because they have to they have to know where to hit their marks, they have to pick up their props, they have to hit the jokes with the certain intonation that's going to get the laugh. They have to listen to the person, they have to hold for the laughs like they've learned a dance, and and sometimes they're still thinking about the step right before, like their brain they're not it fully in the moment because they're like, did I do that? If even for a second, your brain goes, did I grab that prop at the right time, you're out, and then the next line may not be as funny as it it was as it normally would have been. But so I see all of that. So even like there isn't really a bad it's just it wasn't it wasn't the perfect in sync. It wasn't perfectly in sync, and so let's do it again until we get the dance in sync, and then you'll hit all the beats. And like on a sitcom, you have the full week to work there like on a film set, it was so much harder. And you, when I directed that movie for two Be Classmates, you were the person who told me, like, you're going to find that you don't have much time for blocking, and yet your actors are going to want to feel like they have a hand in it. But really, what you have time to do is walk in and go. You're going to sit here, Then you're going to walk there, and you're going to stand and you're gonna talk it.
Speaker 1: It's like, because we only have five minutes to shoot and we can only shoot this direction.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, Oh it's so yes, And it's.
Speaker 3: So frustrating because you want them to feel like they have agency and that they're a part of the collaborative process. So I mean, I for so many reasons, I prefer the sitcom set up. I also like to involve actors on a sitcom in as many especially if there's something emotional going on for them, a big story arc or something big happening from the very beginning of the week, involving them in the planning process as much as possible for when we shoot it, and where would you do you do you want us to get a couple of gos at this where we're not focusing on your coverage and then so nice and then go and then go to you. You know, I'll let you know so you can save the emotion or do you want to do it right off the bat? Are you going to come in from your dressing room having pretty ready to go and we'll start with you and everything.
Speaker 1: We'll just focus on every interest question Like that must make actors feel so good because yeah, it's like.
Speaker 3: I don't you know this, This whole thing is going to revolve around you feeling your best in the moment, and we all want a great performance. You want to give a good performance, so just tell us that you up for that success.
Speaker 1: And yeah, I mean, and it's so funny because every actor is different, right, Like there's so many different types of actors. There are those actors who are like day one, I know exactly every lie. I mean, like Bill Daniels, right, he showed up at the day of Wreed. He knew exactly every intonation, every inflection, and it never changed, no, and it never had to. That's what's crazy is that he was able to make that seem fresh and alive and deliver perfect you know, like unless he got a note, he was not going to change. And I don't even think Michael really ever gave him notes. I mean I don't remember that, like oh or yeah, it's so crazy, like so Bill was just like you know, and looking back now, he's such an amazing actors.
Speaker 2: Like it still feels alive.
Speaker 1: So yeah, And then there are other actors who are like different every time show up, and it's like or then there are some actors who just start out with nothing and you're like, oh, we know, in any what.
Speaker 2: Are we going to do? And then the day of what happens like magic shows up.
Speaker 1: It's like, yeah, it's a magical, mysterious process.
Speaker 3: And and like we talked about on doing sitcoms, if you only have one week you have you could never you can't adjust because after the first week you go, I see, I've now learned every actor on this set and what they need.
Speaker 2: To bring a whole new director, right, and that's like.
Speaker 3: You're out of here. So you you know, it really really helps to get more than one episode of something if you want to leave a good, good impression.
Speaker 1: Well, And I also just love that like who we thought was a great director.
Speaker 2: Was entirely based on how they treated us. We had no idea what's.
Speaker 1: Going on behind the scenes, behind production and camera, and it's like, yeah, once I started directing, it was like, oh, there's a whole other fifty percent of this job. Yeah, the actors will never know about her. And it's like, sometimes you have to pick your team.
Speaker 2: Who might you know? You want to please everybody, but like, yeah, I'll always side with.
Speaker 3: The actors, but say blackwise, also as long as I have the shots there, as long as the editor has the shots to choose from. Executives and showrunners would do really well to stick with directors their actors, Like yes, because the energy throughout the whole week and throughout the whole process is going to be better when they're happy with who is at the helm. And unless when you get into the editing room you're like, this person may be great to work with, but they're not getting anything on camera. That that's who you should that's who you should continue to hire. So I love geeking out about directing with you is so fun. We're gonna miss Wilfred Dell today, but we're gonna have as much fun as possible. Welcome to Pod meets World. I'm Daniel fishal, I'm right or strong, and we have no seat for c. So if you spend any time on TikTok, you are sure to see a throwback scene with this week's guest involved in some wild storyline like Jessica bial going from popular basketball star to vandalizing a school, stealing money, getting fired from her job, and moving to Buffalo. And that was all in one season. Seventh Heaven may now look like the most unhinged drama ever aired on television, but it aired for eleven seasons from nineteen ninety six to two thousand and seven, making it the longest running family drama of all time.
Speaker 2: Wow, yeah, that's wow. Okay. See when I saw that she had done two hundred.
Speaker 1: And fifty two episodes, I was like, that's bonkers, and it is okay.
Speaker 3: It really is longest running family drama of all time. It's also the only show to have a character threatened to jump off a roof because his mom made him wear bad pants. What oh my god, this sounds like something Adler would do. I will not wear these vants. The world also knows our guest from movies like The Crow, City of Angels, Saw Too, and a film I am most definitely going to ask her about called the Dog Who Saved Easter. She was also seen on TV shows like The Secret Life of the American Teenager, Hollywood Darlings, which Wilfredell guests starred on, and The d Coom Right on Track with Bree Larson, a fellow child actor who is genuinely one of the nicest people around. This week on Pod Meets World, it's Beverly Mitchell.
Speaker 4: How how are you.
Speaker 3: We're so sorry that it's just the two of us and there's no fun. Wilfredell in the room.
Speaker 4: With us list that's okay. You guys are just is fun.
Speaker 3: Oh, I don't know about it. I Beverly, thank you so much for joining us. I coure not that long ago. Spent five or so weeks cheering you on from my couch as you defied death doing military drills on Special Forces.
Speaker 4: I mean I did not think that through.
Speaker 3: Okay, I need I want to know about this when they came to you, So writer, do you know about special Forces?
Speaker 1: I think I've heard about this is where they like trained you to be like a Navy seal basically, or.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well they they yes, they try and.
Speaker 1: Do you get kicked off if you can't do stuff or do you just have to do this workout no matter what?
Speaker 4: No, No, yeah, you if you can't perform a task or won't perform a task, you are asked to leave. And they can at any point in time pull you if they just think.
Speaker 2: Your life is in dangerous you can't do it. Number one.
Speaker 1: I mean, like the second they were like carry this from here to here, I'm like done.
Speaker 4: It was it was so bizarre because when they called I was like.
Speaker 2: Are you sure, Like do you have the right Beverly Mitchell?
Speaker 4: And then I was thinking. I was like, well, there's not very many Beverly's right, right. And then I was like, oh, it's I get it. I'm the first to be picked off. Like that's why they're calling me. They like need an easy like sacrificial lamb, and so that's what I thought. And they're like, no, we just really want you, guys to like we want you the whole point of it. And what was so intriguing about it was They're like, we want you to see what you're made of.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I'm like that's curious, right.
Speaker 4: Never really done that. And we had such a killer cast except for I was with all Olympians like I was with like Dwight Howard. You know, he's done well for himself. I've got Mascia Lucan who one Olympic medal. I've got Danny Amadola, he's got a few. Uh yeah, he super Bowl rings. You know. I've got like we literally I Melby, who's just like incredible.
Speaker 3: Uh huh.
Speaker 4: We've got Gus Kenworthy, another Olympian, Mike Piazza. He's one you know like me, But I.
Speaker 3: Know I didn't. One of the coaches come out recently and say that you were one of the toughest competitors he's ever worked with.
Speaker 4: That was Billy, And I think it's because they kept saying, like from the get go, we thought you were gonna die. We always thought you were.
Speaker 3: We were like, she's not gonna make it.
Speaker 4: So that's what they said. They said. They're like they're like there was no after night one. They're like, there's no way you were going to make it through the night. And I was like, I was hell bent on giving everything I had and even when I left, like I was talking to Carly Lloyd again, another superhero, and she's like, no bev. It was like time to leave, like we were going to like you needed to go. They're like you had pushed yourself so far. We were afraid that you, like we were afraid for you. And I was like, I think that's a couple of it.
Speaker 3: But what was the most difficult aspect of.
Speaker 4: It, honestly the mental? It was the mental. I mean I wasn't physically I knew I wasn't physically strong enough. Like I got the call and had one week to prepare, and I one week of preparing was like in full Mammy dum. So I was like I put my kid on my back and walked around my kid's soccer practice and that was like my training. Where these other athletes had been like hitting the gym and had like great corese strength and had like worked their asses off, and I literally like, in the one hour that my kids had soccer practice, I've got my kid on my back and I'm trying to like right, run some drills, Yeah, do a trick, And that's that's the That's the the amount of training I had for it. But I knew that mentally, if I could just stay strong and stay focused and work on believing in myself because I think in our industry it's so hard and we're told so many things for so long that you begin to believe everything you're told. And I've never really kind of dove into that exploration of like, no, I am tough, No I do belong, No I am stronger than I think, and I can do hard things. And so that was what that whole experience was for me. I was kind of the realization like, no, I'm a survivor. I can and I can uplift and I can be there for my fellow like recruits. And I loved that. I loved the family unit that we all created in this. And we were in Jordan. We were in the Wadi Rum desert, so wow, we were very far away.
Speaker 2: So how long did you last? How long were you out there?
Speaker 4: I made it to day four and it was which doesn't sound very doesn't sound like it was very far. I felt like four months. Yeah, right, because you don't like you're on all day long.
Speaker 3: The whole thing is ten days.
Speaker 4: It's ten days. Ours was ten days, okay, And two women made it to the end, Hannah Brown and Carly Lloyd, and I I'm so freaking proud of them because they were tough as nails and they beat Amy, Danny Amidola and Dwight Howard.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 4: And I was just really proud of like the women who how we showed up and how we powered through and what we were able to accomplish.
Speaker 3: Good for you, man, that was really fun so incredible and what a great what a great image for your kids to see of you, you know.
Speaker 4: It was It was really cool because I think oftentimes like I'm like, I'm not the one that's sport. I'm not the one that's out there skiing with them. I'm not you know, take them everywhere and do everything. But I'm not the one that's active. Like their dad is like far he's the athlete, and I'm never was because I was on stead. We couldn't do that because we'd get.
Speaker 3: In trouble, correct.
Speaker 4: Like you know. So it was nice for them to be able to see. And it was funny too because when they asked me, They're like, are you afraid of heights? I'm like, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Right, I've never been.
Speaker 4: I don't know. They're like, okay, well, we're gonna make you cross a ravine. You're gonna be two hundred feet up in the air and you're just gonna be on a tightrope and you're just gonna go for it.
Speaker 3: And I'm like, oh, yeah, OK, then guess what. I am afraid of heights.
Speaker 4: And then they're like, they're like are you They're like, are you afraid of water? And I'm like, well, you know, I don't want to drown. And then the next thing they do is they put us in a humby and submerges water, and.
Speaker 3: Kids watching that gave me. I was like, oh my gosh, oh my gosh, O my god, my it was terrifying.
Speaker 4: What's funny, though, is like if you ask me to do normal things on a normal day, I'm like, I will not walk across the street. There's a risk of getting hit by a car. But yet I will go in a hummer and be submerged and be told by these like special forces guys like.
Speaker 3: You'll be safe, You'll be okay, you'll be fine.
Speaker 4: And I and as I was doing it, and I was like, no, I'll just I'm gonna do it. I'll try it. I'm like, hope I don't die, but I could do it. It was crazy, But it's also the mentality shifts because like normally you would like wouldn't do any of these things that they tell you to do, but then because of who you're with, you're like, all right, let's let's try it.
Speaker 1: But I also wonder how much of that comes from, you know, because there's there's a certain level of courage or recklessness of about being an actor, right, like you just have to oh what And you know, as since we started as kids, like we always have to be game to just jump into the scene and do the thing or put on the wacky clothes, whatever it is that we're being asked to do. So I wonder how much of that was just like, well, the show must go on, how to jump in them vie.
Speaker 4: And you know what's also weird too, is because you know, on the reality side of it too, I realized, like how much more comfortable I am being vulnerable in front of a camera than I am interesting, So I'm like, what kind of messed up world am I that? I'm like, I have a lot of trauma I need to talk about. Put a camera on me, let's discuss it. And then I'm like just like here it is, and that's sad, but that is honestly, like if I think of all my most vulnerable moments in my life have been captured on camera, whether it's coming through playing a character. Like we had an episode where my friend passed away in the show on Seventh Heaven, and that had happened to me and it was written based on my experience, but I hadn't cried until the camera's rolled and until I was able to step into that space, because that's where my safe space is. My safe space is in front of cameras because we've been doing it. I've been doing it since I was four.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: So really, there should be an actor therapist's office in LA where they.
Speaker 2: Just have a full crew and the camera set up.
Speaker 4: And then I think we would all be game.
Speaker 3: We'll be like, wow, yeah it is oh my god, and the team can just be for you. It doesn't have to go over just for you, just to create the.
Speaker 2: Right space so you get into the zone.
Speaker 4: But isn't it weird though, Like how just also how conditioned we are to also knowing and being so comfortable because that's also what everybody's like, I would be so uncomfortable with cameras. I'm like, I am more comfortable with you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, So when when they took this part of your real life because they you know, we've talked about how employments world, they did some of that too.
Speaker 2: How did you feel about that? Did they like ask if it was okay?
Speaker 4: Or she asked Brenda Hampton, who is our writer and creator and through the whole eleven seasons, mind.
Speaker 3: You, which is wow.
Speaker 4: There we had her the whole time. She she asked me, it was because it was right after our our first season that my friend passed away, and the next season, She's like, I just think that there's an important story to tell. Would you be willing to do this? And you know, obviously like at that point in time too, I was like wanting just to make my boss happy. I'm like, yes, it is, yeah, of course, of course, And I'm glad I did. I'm glad that I was able to like give that opportunity to tell that story because it was it was important for me for healing. And then I also think it was great for the audience because I've had a lot of people come up and said, you know, that episode really like impacted me because unfortunately, like kids in cars, it's really damn scary.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Absolutely so.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but I think it's it is interesting. And also after eleven years, so much of our lives overlapped into our character stories, because how can it not, because just life happens. I mean, it's with you guys.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it's impossible for it not to. They're they're trying to tell you know. I think now of like being forty four years old and trying to write for a fourteen year old, how would I not be like, wait, hold on, what's going on in your real life? I think, why don't we why don't we use this? Because like you don't, I can? I can? I was I was just watching a TikTok where someone was talking about how that the older you get, the harder it is to tap into the emotions and what it actually felt like to be a young person totally, and like I can. I can, like, in a vague sense remember what it felt like to be a teen, But the farther I get from it, the harder it is to actually bring myself back to the feelings. So yes, of course you want to use those kids. Ask the kids what are they doing?
Speaker 1: And then they're also usually we also are usually cast because we kind of are a type or we give off a vibe that is the character, right, So because I mean that the act part is a little less evolved because you're just less evolved. So you're gonna get cast because you kind of are hopefully someone in the wheelhouse of this person and they trust that.
Speaker 4: Yeah. And it's funny because everybody's always like, how how different are you from your character? I'm like, honestly, like I'm not really sure where Lucy ends and where beveryone. There's so much in the open, and I'm like, also when you're something for eleven years, like yeah's you know, And I'm like, I wasn't playing a bad character, so I you know, it was a.
Speaker 3: We're very connected, Yeah, And.
Speaker 4: I think like that's what when David Mack and I talk and when we've been watching the show back on our podccast, Yeah, casting up with the camp Dens. We it's been it's been really funny. And also there's so much that I think, I'm sure you guys relate that the audience remembers the stories so differently than we do, and so when we're like they have the show, we have the experience. But it's like also because people are like, what's your favorite episode I'm like, it wasn't an episode for me. It was life experience. Is what happened outside of the episode. That is what I remember, not because I even half of these episodes were watching. I'm like, I don't remember that.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I don't.
Speaker 4: What did what?
Speaker 3: What were we doing?
Speaker 4: What were we thinking? But other things I remember in the wardrobe room picking out, having my array of Dickies because that's when Dickies were in, and I had every single color Dickis and I had every single color Juicy couture because that was the best part of wardrobe is like basically getting them to buy what you liked and then borrow it on the weekends exactly. It was the best part. It was like a free closet. It was amazing.
Speaker 1: You guys were single camera, which is also very different because it means that you know, with a cast, everybody could be having completely different experiences per episode. You would never have seen even what like yeah see, we at least had like show night where everybody came together and we had run throughs.
Speaker 2: So it was the sense of continuity.
Speaker 1: So it must be so crazy to talk back now and be like, where were you that week?
Speaker 2: What were you doing? And have completely different experiences.
Speaker 4: Well, yeah, because there were days where, like you know, especially if there's sometimes where we didn't even see other actors because they weren't in our storyline for that episode. So yeah, it was. It was. And it was also long because we took eight eight days to shoot an episode, so it took us a lot longer. But I mean that being said, we were still the dream drama because like we were, we would actually work. We wouldn't work a really long day. We were we were the show that you could possibly in the later years, not in the early years, but in the later years, we could get be done by lunch. Really, yeah, what we were we were so fast. We were like, let's take some time, I hold us for one shot after lunch because we had to, like we had to basically keep everybody till after lunch. But we we were so efficient. But that's because, like we were the well oiled machine. So when people came and guest starred on our show, they're like, what is this magic? And how can we come back here? Because this is the easiest job we've ever done.
Speaker 1: I want to hear about this, mat hold on, So wait, you were shooting okay, where were you shooting you were on We.
Speaker 4: Were in Santa Monica. We were in an abandon it was they made garage doors. Okay, that's what the Yeah, it was an abandoned warehouse, okay, had and they turned it into a sound stage. We worked for Aaron Spelling, so he was frugal, which is why he was so successful. But we kind of were on our own little island. We didn't have anybody with us.
Speaker 2: It was just us, and most of it was on the stage.
Speaker 3: Like you most of us was on stage.
Speaker 4: And they started to build all of our sets, like you know, we'd have the outdoor promenade, they'd build that, then they built the backyard, and they built that in the back so we literally like rarely had to leave our little home in Santa Monica.
Speaker 1: And then were you truly single camera or did you guys have more than one?
Speaker 4: At the beginning, we were truly were single. And then we'd start to have like two cameras that we'd set up at the same time, but you know, we couldn't always use them based on the shot. The hard part at the beginning was just we had so many kids. There were so many of us that were I was Barry was obviously an adult, but then I was the oldest. Then it came Jesse, who was a year younger than me.
Speaker 3: Were you when you started?
Speaker 4: I started when I was fifteen, Jesse was fourteen, David was ten, and Mac was six.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it's okay.
Speaker 4: So we had lots of kids and a dog, you know, and they always say like, don't do a show with kids and.
Speaker 3: Dogs, kids and animals.
Speaker 4: Yeah, kids and animals, any animals.
Speaker 3: And he was like yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: So so for the the joke is like for the first season, like Barry basically worked with a lot of c stands because.
Speaker 2: Kids after nine and a half hours, And.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was funny because even when we were talking to him and he's like, I don't remember you guys working with you guys, so like I don't think you guys were all that great. And I was like what do you mean and he's like, well, I never worked with you, and I'm like that's not true. I'm like this you did, and he's like, you guys were always in school. He's like, you guys always had to leave.
Speaker 3: But so then we're the rest of you were you guys all then in scenes together? The kids because how did you get to know each other and become comfortable and develop chemistry.
Speaker 4: Jesse and I were always in the school room together because we were also the closest in aid, so a lot of our scenes were always together. And then Mac and David had a lot of their stuff together. And I mean we we did spend a lot of time together, and we did we became truly a family because as you do when you share an experience that no one else in the world will ever understand. And it's funny because after all these years, because our show ended in two thousand and seven, and after all these years, like when we all got back together, it was like no time had passed. Yeah, and you know at those nineties cons like when you it's just it's the best reunion. And then also the reunion with other shows has always been fun because we have this it's like going to high school and it's like a high school reunion with all these people who at some point in time we've kind of come into paths with, maybe not have been the best of friends, but like definitely have a mutual understanding and relationship and friendship, and it's it's always so fun to connect and like to connect with you guys, because it's like I was watching you guys too, you know, and we have this understanding of what life looked like back.
Speaker 3: Yes, absolutely, that's what I say. It's like high school every time. Like I just imagine, you know, when you meet people who you who grew up in the same neighborhood you did, and you just instantly feel a shorthand with them. You're like, right, we we we know all the same stores and restaurants and people and neighbors. Like I already know you, even if you weren't friends with the with other fellow actors in the nineties or whatever, there is a just a shorthand.
Speaker 4: Well, and there's like such an overlap. There's an overlap of people like Andrew Keegan. But I mean he was on every nineties show. Are you sure was?
Speaker 2: But he was for a while on your show, right he was?
Speaker 4: Yeah, he was Jesse's boyfriend. He had a kid on our show.
Speaker 3: Oh that's right, he had a kid.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he had a kid, Wilson. Actually he was. And he was in the episode where my friend passed away. He was. He was in that episode. And because I think his girlfriend or wife or baby mama, and I think that's what he was, like he was in a group where we were talking about death and healing and whatnot. But I was, yeah, you know, it's it's always so funny and even like uh, Jody Sweeten and Christine Linkn and we did Hollywood Darlings together, but like it's you know, this little world that we live in is just such a silly, like fun magical. It was such a good time. Like I feel sad for all the young actors today, but they don't get what we got. I know, because we had it. We had it the best.
Speaker 3: We really did, for sure, we did so much of the show has become like TikTok infamy, pulling clips of just the most ridiculous moments. At the time that you were shooting it, did you know that some of the storylines were a little maybe unhinged, or were you guys talking about some of the crazier storylines or did it just feel normal?
Speaker 4: I mean I think that, yeah, I mean I think there's some things that were like okay, But you know, I think also I was like such the like I will do whatever you say, like I am people, please it, I am on it, Like I will not question you. I do not question authority. I am here to do whatever I'm supposed to do. It is funny though, watching it back and also seeing some things that aged well and some things that definitely didn't. Yeah, and that's that's fun. And I mean I think we also knew we were a drama, but we weren't. We were also comedic. There was definitely like we didn't take ourselves too seriously. We knew how to play it. And Bury jokes that like the times were like he couldn't really like relate to the character. He just would like go to another place. And and that's also what made his performance so great is that like he never took it too serious, which is what I think allows the content to be delivered in such a way that people can understand it and enjoy it. But like, yes, Rob Anderson has had an absolute field day with us, and it is fun because when I started seeing those videos, I was like, I am in, I want in, let me let me do a video with you because this is just ridiculous and fun and we don't take ourselves very seriously at also like let's have some fun with this. And he came on the show too, and we did a rewatch with him, which.
Speaker 3: Was fun, too great, That is so fun.
Speaker 4: He had a lot to say.
Speaker 1: Do you have a favorite thing that you look back now and say, oh, that was pretty absurd?
Speaker 2: Like we we took it to an extreme.
Speaker 4: I mean the I smoked pot is like epic with Annie and just the the extreme of like what they were making marijuana. I would do, be right, what is just? And like I think we just watched an episode two where like tattoos were basically like if you have a tattoo, then you are a criminal.
Speaker 3: Course right, So.
Speaker 4: I'm a criminal because I have a tattoo. And I'm also the dumb one that got it off the wall because I was just trying to be rebellious and I did that too, looks good?
Speaker 2: I didn't.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was just like and just the other day, Jesse was with us and she was like, she was like, I still don't understand how you did that. I was like, you were with me. Why didn't you tell me that you didn't do that with me?
Speaker 3: Why didn't you stop me?
Speaker 4: She's like I was afraid of you, and she's like, you decided something. I wasn't ever going to go against you. And I was like, well, that's when I needed you, like you needed to step up and be my sister and tell me I'm an idiot. She's like, you never listened.
Speaker 3: I was like true, valid, yeah, valid, valid.
Speaker 4: Point yeah.
Speaker 2: Fair.
Speaker 3: The show ran from nineteen ninety six to two thousand and seven, taking up over a decade of your life. I mean, you truly grew up on this show.
Speaker 4: Truly.
Speaker 3: Did you ever feel burnout? Did you ever think I don't want to do this anymore? How did you avoid that?
Speaker 4: If not, no, I didn't. I think it's because I had wanted that for so long, and I was so just eternally grateful. So I had gratitude every day that I had a job and I got to work with amazing people. And much of our crew was from day one, so we started and ended with a lot of crew members, or if we didn't end with that specific crew member, we ended with their children and their kids that had come in and joined them on our crew. So I never did have burnout. I never And again I'm a loyalist, to the loyalist of a degree like I when I say I'm right or die, I am there till the end, till that last wave is gone, and so I always knew that, like I would be on every episode and I would be there to the end, and I loved it. And a lot of people would say, like that was career suicide. You're supposed to go off, you're supposed to go in the height and like go take other opportunities, But to who I am was like I knew that this was the first person who really gave me like my biggest shot, and I wanted to be there to say thank you and write it to the very end as because if it wasn't for Brenda, then I wouldn't have the life I have, and if it wasn't for the fans watching the show, like I owed it to them to see where Lucy it went, and everyone does their own thing and that's completely fine, but for me, I needed to be there from the beginning to and actually even after the show ended, Brenda went on to do The Secret Life of the American Teenager with majority of our crew, and I went over to that show and did quite a few episodes with them, which was fun. And originally when she brought me over, she's like, you're gonna be the high school counselor. I'm like, okay, cool, and she's like, and I need you to talk to the kids. I'm like in the show, and she's like, no, outside the show. I need you to talk to them. I need you to explain to them how this works. And I need you to explain to them how we're gonna how we're expected to behave and how to be smart and how to make not not make them choices and don't get into trouble. And I was like, whoa wait, am I a counselor on the show or am my counselor real life? She's like both.
Speaker 2: I'm like, oh, that's actually really sweet.
Speaker 4: She's like I just want you to like guide them and tell them like don't go spend all your money, like yeah, be very smart, think like in long term, like you can't guarantee that this is gonna be forever, like you need to. And I was like, okay, got it. I will come on as big sister and start having coffee, right.
Speaker 3: That's so much responsibility. She obviously loves you and trusts you, and a compliment it is.
Speaker 4: And I've I've always had a really great relationship with Brenda, and I still to this day chat with her and check in on her and so yeah, and like you know, it's it's it's weird because I also don't feel like I'm forty four. I don't feel like I'm grown up yet. Don't you guys feel that. I'm like, I'm still not still. I look at my kids and I'm like, I shouldn't be doing this.
Speaker 3: I can't believe I'm I shouldn't be listening to me.
Speaker 4: I don't think I am certified or.
Speaker 1: So. Having spent so much of your career basically with the same crew, the same cast, like, what has been like when you go on to work on another set, what has been like the biggest Like, Wow, I can't believe they don't do it the way we did it on Seventh Heaven Likes, is there something you can point to that's like, is it just the hours but it takes so long?
Speaker 4: No, it's not necessary the hours. Sometimes it's more just what I've always been shocked about is like I also am the one that like gets in there and does things, so like if I see something as like something somebody needs help, like I will just do it. Like I don't. I can't. I'm not very good at like sitting in my chair and just like waiting right, So I think I actually don't look at sets like that they're doing anything wrong. But what I would say is what I've learned is how to be more efficient. So I'm always trying to help being like, here's how we can save time, here's how we can do other setups, here's how we can do this, or ooh, how about you try it this way and maybe you might have more success. So I think what I find is like I have an inability to sit still and to stay in my lane because like my husband says, he goes, you don't have a line, it's a whole freaking highway, because I just can't. But I think it's also I mean, it's you guys. Now, it's we've experienced so much. We've we've been schooled by the best school that you can go to, which is working. And so oftentimes you go on some of these sets and if you're not on a huge, multimillion dollar film and you're on like a little lower budget film, like they're not as experienced. They don't have they haven't been schooled, they haven't learned, and they haven't had the teachers that we've had. So now it's interesting being the teacher and coming in and talking to and helping. I actually just recently we moved to Colorado and I actually even had conversation with CEU and I'm like, hey, you have a film school. Can I come do something? And I was like, They're like, what do you want to do. I'm like, I don't know. What do you need? I can I can help. I don't know. I'm like, I can't tell you what I know, but I can tell you that I know a lot. So to start asking me questions and I am a wealth of knowledge.
Speaker 3: Yes, that's so great.
Speaker 4: It's just fun. I think it's fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean, I just I love what we do so much, and it's so much ingrained in my DNA that like, I can't just not be an actor. I can't not be a part of this business. I don't know how not. I don't know how to be anything else.
Speaker 3: Yep, yeah, we feel you.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Right, as you mentioned, you're now rewatching Seventh Heaven with two of your co stars, David Gallagher and Mackenzie Rossmith for the podcast Catching Up with the Camdens. We know a little bit about the feeling of being forced to watch yourself as a child, Yes, acting. What has it been like for you?
Speaker 4: You know, it's quite refreshing. I mean it's like watching old home videos, yes, is what you know. We haven't quite we're still in season one. We're very slow because we were very hesitant and David we were arguing for a long time because we're the we were discussing the rewatch, whether it's a rewatch more like a recap, more like a rehash okay, because there was just a lot of arguments because we weren't actually watching it while we were on the podcast. We watch it before and then we would talk about it and he's very into like what that is supposed to be. But anyway, we've had a lot of fun and it's been it's a lot of sweet memories, to be honest, and it's also a lot our show had a lot of iconic older actors. We had Barbara Rush, we had Peter Graves, we had a lot of people who are no longer with us, so there was also it's been very touching just to like remember the opportunities we had and the lessons we learned from these people and rewatching the episodes. So it's been you know, it's very nostalgic it's very I think as much as the fans are loving it and enjoying it, has been really therapeutic for us as well because we did watch the first season, but there's a point in time where like all of us stopped watching the show. So we're gonna get to some episodes where we've.
Speaker 3: Usually really seen it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and again, like you said, like some of our storylines didn't overlap, and so there's sometimes we're like you did what, Like even like you're saying that episode about Simon, I'm like, he did what? Like what I need to have a talk with David, Like what I don't remember that? But again, so it'll be fun to it's fun exploring and it's very sweet, and it's it's nice to just have these memories and with these amazing people who are family because I'm an only child, so I adopted a very large family.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you guys. Also, Seventh Heaven has quite a few continuity issues, the same way Boy Meets World does.
Speaker 4: Oh I'm sure.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, Boy Meets World is famous for just changing things. They have siblings. Now those siblings are no longer there the you know where where we met we were four were we twelve.
Speaker 2: Different actor playing the little sister.
Speaker 3: Three Tapanga, you know, all kinds of stuff. So I know that'll be fun for you guys to point out as you go along as well.
Speaker 4: One hundred percent. I mean, and we were all like, we all prided ourselves on continuity too.
Speaker 3: But it is funny.
Speaker 4: There's times whe're like, it's behind the ear, it's in front of the ear, it's behind the.
Speaker 3: Ear, and that stuff. That stuff's nothing we're talking to. We're talking about, you know, whole new people coming in playing a character, and you're just supposed to buy that. It's like the same actor.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, that's amazing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the actual little continuity stuff, but that.
Speaker 4: Drives me nuts. It's the little things. I'm like, oh, like, that's what makes me nuts, Like just the tiny little things.
Speaker 3: The tiny little things. I mean, you guys, having done two hundred and forty two episodes, this is quite a rewatch commitment. Do you think you're gonna make it? Or you gonna do? I know you will because you're right, or die well.
Speaker 4: I will, I will write or die I will be there. I will be a granny and on my deathbed watching episodes of Seventh Heaven. No, I mean we're gonna try. But it's fun because we've also had a lot of like guests come on, so we'll do a lot of like really fun episodes. We just had the girls who played My Baby on the show, and they are now in college. So it was quite upsetting and disturbing and very difficult for me being that they were on the show when they were literally like a few months old and now they are grown women in college.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 4: And that was a trip.
Speaker 3: That's pretty crazy.
Speaker 4: It is pretty great. And also they went on to have a completely normal life and never did film again, and so there, yeah, and just to see what that was like, because that was never that's not what any of us experienced because we all have kind of stayed in the business.
Speaker 3: Do you have an un ironic favorite episode?
Speaker 4: Oh, I don't again my episode? I like don't remember episodes? Is that horrible?
Speaker 3: No, I know, I'm the same way.
Speaker 4: I really don't remember, but like the fans know everything. I know on this episode you did this, and I'm like, I did.
Speaker 1: Do you remember seasons? More like, do you know the difference between season three and season eight?
Speaker 2: Can you identify that?
Speaker 4: Not? Really? Wow? No, I mean I think it's but I also feel like I have a trouble with my memory in the sense that because and I don't know if this is forever, but for me, I always my world was like a whiteboard because I would have to memorize everything on the white board for our lines, and then as soon as I didn't need it anymore, it was a raised And so I feel like I have trained myself to like not retain because I always had to be able to like put people and do it so fast like I didn't. So it's funny, like even with even in real life, like my husband's like, oh remember this, and I'm like, I have to find a picture to like really jog my memory, and then all of a sudden, I'm like, oh, yeah, yeah, now I can remember, but like if you just asked me on the spot, like it's terrible, But it's because I literally have that whiteboard memory because but I could do it for tests. So it was great for school because I could literally look at the I could in my mind look at it, read it, see it on the page. But as soon as the test was gone, I had no idea what I just did. And that's what I that's what I've always been like since I was a little girl, because I always had to like memorize, and then you can't hold onto that stuff because if you did, like, how many scripts would we have in our heads out of our minds? So, yeah, I'm terrible.
Speaker 1: So you started uh Seventh Heaven when you were fifteen?
Speaker 2: Yes, but when did you actually start acting?
Speaker 4: I started acting when I was four. I was discovered in a mall throwing a temper Sherman Oaks Gallery, Oaks Galeria. Yes, I was throwing a temper tantrum because I was hungry and I was with my aunt. She wasn't feeding me, and I just you know, I went for it and was like, all right, you have to feed me. And Corey Feldman's mom came up and said, you've got a spark, you got something. You should be in the business. And she became my manager for eight short period of time.
Speaker 3: And I am keeping this story secret from my son and she yeah, I know, right, Yeah, I.
Speaker 4: Told my kids it does not work. That was a once in a lifetime situation. And I was really cute and you're not that cute. Yeah, And so I got in the business and then within the first month I booked my first national commercial, and I loved it. It was I did an AT and T commercial, and shortly after that, I did Oscar Meyer and I loved being on sets. I just thought it was so fun, like, and I think I'm an only child, so like being on a set with a bunch of adults and like being like the center of attention, like, yes, please, that's great, let's do it. So that kind of started it. And then you know, did a lot of things here and there, and I was on Phenom so that was Multiicam, which was fun with Ashley Johnson, and did like a bunch of little shows. But and I was always raised because I think, you guys know, like the no's come far more than the yeses. Oh, the yeses are rare. And I remember just always knowing I truly enjoyed the auditioning process. I loved seeing people at the auditions. I loved seeing my friends. I loved seeing my friends get the job because I always had the mentality of when it's my turn, it will be mine, and if it's not mine, it's because it's not my turn yet. So when it finally became my turn, I remember also being like, Okay, I got the chance. Now I'm never gonna let it go, right, And so it was always a good experience. I never had the heartbreak because I truly was happy for everybody who got the jobs, Like I was happy for Scarlett Johansson. Excuse me, I was happy for Natalie Portman. I was happy for all these people that I was always in the room being And then when they blew up, I was like, yay, wait, now it's mine. Now it's my turn's coming right right.
Speaker 3: So well, pretty early on, you book a movie called Children of the Bride, a TV movie starring Room mc clanahan, and that basically became a franchise. What was working with Rue Like, she.
Speaker 4: Was amazing, She was so funny and so charming, and the whole experience was like summer camp. It was just su and all the adults were wonderful and fun and the crew was incredible. I mean, I I've never had like a bad experience. I've been very blessed and very lucky to be around some incredible people and to also learn from the best and learn how to behave on set and learn, you know, And I just remember just being like the kid that was always like watching being like watching behaviors, watching what people did, how people showed up, how how you were expected to be, and I had really good role models and how to do So do.
Speaker 3: You remember your seventh Heaven audition?
Speaker 4: You know what? Funny enough I do. I went and and I saw the assistant and they actually didn't like me, and and I didn't get a call back. And that was the first and only time that I called my manager and I said, you fight to get me back in there. And I said, this role I need another shot, like they need to the like Pamsha needs to see me, Like I need to get back in there. I have never ever done that because I've always been like, oh all right, it wasn't for me. Yeah, But this one was the one where I'm like, you have to fight to get me back in there. And luckily.
Speaker 2: Because you were good for the part, or because you liked the material.
Speaker 4: Because I knew in my core that I was Lucy. I knew that she was me, and so I was like no, no, no, no, no, no no no, I this is this one's mine, like I can, I can do it. And I even remember being strangely confident, like when we went to network and excited but also with this calm. I felt like most of the time, it's always like you wanted it and you always like needed it and like.
Speaker 3: You kind of like there's a desperation.
Speaker 4: There's a desperation. This one wasn't like that. It was like no, no, no, this is right right, this is And so there was a calm confidence, which was very not my style because I'm always like like worried, and this one I was like no, no, no, no, this one's I can feel it. And even in it was funny. At Network, there was obviously other kids there, but I remember Jesse and I connected. We even have pictures that we signed for each other being like we'll see you soon, like we like. And with David Well, I rememberer being a fan of David because I was like, David's like a big movie star because he had just come off a phenomenon with John Travolta and he was in look who's talking Like I was like, that kid is like he's the real deal.
Speaker 3: That that guy's great, he's great, and he's so cute.
Speaker 4: So but it was funny, though I think we all we all kind of forgot who else was there at Network except for the people who for the people who ended. Yeah, we were the ones who truly did connect even in that stage, which is strange.
Speaker 3: There's one other project I have to ask you about. It's a movie you start in back in twenty fourteen, The Dog who Saved Easter. Yes, I must know how he saved Easter.
Speaker 4: That's a good question. I don't actually remember, you know. It's funny. It's because I just had a baby and I was so shocked I got a job. I was just like, here, how did the dog save Easter?
Speaker 3: That's a good questions.
Speaker 4: It's gone because it's like I told you guys, I have the worst memory. Like it's awful.
Speaker 3: It's okay, I'll google it. I'll go Mario Lopez's voice save Easter.
Speaker 4: And it's with Matthew Lawrence was with me really yeah too? Yeah, yeah he was.
Speaker 2: You got to do a rewatch.
Speaker 3: We gotta watch it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Oh my god.
Speaker 4: Yeah he was a vet. He was the vet.
Speaker 3: Must have been Matt's favorite job ever.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, we have to watch this movie now.
Speaker 3: We really do so bad, don't I don't know. I don't know.
Speaker 4: And it was like I literally I I just had a baby and I was just so shocked. I got It's one of those moments like you know, you're like, we're really okay, Yeah, sure, I'm there, I'll be there. I need I need insurance. Let's let's go. Let's know.
Speaker 3: You have three kids, yes, how old are they? And would you ever let them get into acting?
Speaker 4: I have three that are twelve, ten and turning five, and funny enough, I would if they really wanted it. But I'm not going to be pulling any strings for them, like I think. I think it's important for them to learn the hard knocks way to go about it. But what's interesting is my daughter, who I've always thought was really shy, once we moved here to Colorado, she actually ended up doing like a play and she's like, will you help me? And I helped her run lines like one time, and then I was like, all right, you gotta figure it out yourself, like tell you girl. And when I went to see the play, I was in shock because like she's she's very I thought she's there's no way that this is gonna be her thing. And then she went up there and I'm like, oh.
Speaker 3: Oh no, oh she's good.
Speaker 4: Oh no, this is yeah, you're this is now very interesting to me because now I don't know what to do because you have stage presence, you have timing, you because and also I'm the parent that's like, I'm not gonna laugh at your joke. If it's not funny, I will tell you it's not funny. Go rework it. Your timing's off, your delivery was terrible, and like your body language is weird, Like, no, that's not funny. So I'm like definitely like fat parent, Like so I'm very real with them, Like I think everyone was like, well you must have known she's like this little actress. I'm like no, and I'm quite disturbed because I don't know what to do with this now. Yeah, like she's my athlete. She's she she plays soccer, like she's my athlete. Like you're now possibly an actor too, Like wow, okay, this is gonna be interesting. But luckily, now that we're in call Dolorado, it's not as yeah as accessible. Yeah yeah, so she can be a kid for a while. I'd like them to be kids for a little bit.
Speaker 3: Yes, so smart and no YouTube.
Speaker 2: Well she might become a theater kid.
Speaker 4: Yeah she might. Yeah, she she really enjoyed it, which I was, and I also it's so good for their confidence, Like it's so great for her to be able to express herself. And so I love that for her, and I love my son's the comedian, so I'm sure. And then the five year old's going to rule the world. So because she's she's she's feral. She's already making her own pancakes. Like she can do everything.
Speaker 2: Oh I love it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, No, she's yeah, third kid man. There they're like next level, Like there, you don't. They can save the world, they can do everything. She would probably succeed on Special Forces for sure. I got it. You know, weird enough I would go back, so yeah, I would.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know. I think baby Special Forces is a good pitch. I think a thing.
Speaker 4: Well, I mean I think most of them thought all of us were acting like babies, so maybe.
Speaker 3: I mean, but honestly, like that's you kind of need toddler energy in order to like dive backwards into a pitch black ocean from a helicopter. You know.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, that was not good. I messed up, Like I think I knocked out like five ribs on that one.
Speaker 3: It looks painful.
Speaker 4: I was not. That was definitely not an enjoyable experience, but also I was still I was told that they were gonna give us very clear instructions and that we would always understand the task. That is not the case. No, It's like it's like, hey, you stand here, I got the rope, I'm gonna like, you're gonna lean back, and then you just go head first in the ocean. I'm like, wha the mechanics of this hold on, let me talk, And the next thing I know, he dropped me, and I'm.
Speaker 3: Like okay, yeah.
Speaker 4: Meanwhile, yeah, definitely failed that mission. That's okay, I did it.
Speaker 3: You did it, and I'm so proud of you did it. Thank you. One last question I have for you, because it's another little crossover that we have. I was thinking about the incredible late nineties early aughts while I was researching you for this interview and remembered that we were both very close to the guys of n SYNC.
Speaker 4: Yes, Lance, Yes, Lance is my guy.
Speaker 3: Yes, some of my favorite stories and memories are from times spent with them when they were just at the height of their careers. Do you have any favorite fun stories of being close with the biggest band in the world at the time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, oh, my God challenge for the children. All of the starity events that they did, yes or the best, Like, I think one of my most favorite memories was I'm pretty sure we were all under age, okay, tea tender age. We were all under age in Vegas and we were running around doing a scavenger hunt. And when I say like scavenger hunt, I mean all over the Vegas Strip and it was and also like I'm we're like I think I was on Joey's team and so we're running through Vegas on the strip with and sync just like running around like hooligans.
Speaker 3: Running into hotels.
Speaker 4: Yes, remember, and it was just nuts. But I just remember being like, what kind of fun, weird experience is this that we'll never get to do again? Except for them we did in Miami a few years later. It was also and at that point it was like Cameron Diaz was there, Yeah, Gabrielle Union was the I mean, you have all these superstars that are all and we're all just running around unleashed around town like and it was so fun because it was again at a time where like the cell phone pictures were like on a flip phone, so like nothing was happening so we were able to have this kind of freedom to be wild and crazy and do these fun things. But those friendships were just so genuine and and too to know the guys. I also remember being really good friends with all the bodyguards. I loved the.
Speaker 3: Bodyguard me to the best. It's so crazy to think about how massive celebrities today could never do those things that we were able to do back then. Never and there was still security. You mentioned the bodyguards. The bodyguards were there, of course in case something did happen, like there was, it was safe, but you could never do it now they're they're they're It was just never. It was just couldn't happen.
Speaker 4: No, And I think it's also just it was the freedom to kind of still be young and wild and free with people who were obviously recognizable, but it was just it was so fun. I mean, I'm still obviously very good friends with you know, well all of them. And then it's very funny that like one of them ended up marrying my best friends. And I was like, and who, I give Jesse so much too, because sorry, I don't get me to cuss. I have Jesse so much crap because she used to make fun of me. She's just like, you do know the mzinc boys again, And I was like, dude, they're fun, like we have fun and she used to think I was like, so silly and lame. And I'm like, now you're married to one, yeah exactly, now I have a Colleen lame and I was like cute, and I'm like, I remember when when they first started dating. Miss Lynd's like, okay, Bev tell me about her. I'm like, if he hurts her, I'll kill him. And she's like, okay, so you love her. I'm like, I do.
Speaker 2: I do.
Speaker 3: I love her very much as my sister.
Speaker 4: So but it is fun, like but yeah, those were the good times when we could those were the good times.
Speaker 3: They really were. Well, as we mentioned, you guys are doing your rewatch podcast catching Up with the Camdens or I don't want to call it a rewatch in case David doesn't want to call rehash.
Speaker 4: Yeah it's rehash.
Speaker 3: It's a rehash. Okay, you're rehashing with Catching Up with the Camdens. Where else can people find you see you? What else are you working on other than wanting to go back to Special Forces, which I don't know. He seems like you're a glutton for punishment.
Speaker 4: At this time. I mean, I do I think again, you know, the therapy session that we all need to explore being on camera. Yeah, I just you know, right now, I'm enjoying life being a mommy and kind of uh finally moved out of l A after being born and raised for the very first time. So h but it's fun just popping in, you know, doing the things when they come up, when we're called, right, that's an actor's life.
Speaker 3: I still think you should pitch baby special Forces. I think it's a good idea. We call my six year old will do it? Your five year old will do it?
Speaker 4: It would be it would be you know what I do have to say though to this, I think it's so it would be so important for most people to understand what our military goes through and the degree and and and understand because I will also say I was I did that for four days. And the intensity, I would say, is like going to university of yourself, like figuring out your stuff. And it is like going from being in kindergarten with the knowledge that you have and then literally coming out with a degree in the shortest amount of time that it actually took me two years to process what I learned in those four days. Wow. Wow, So I do think there's there's something to be said for what they're doing. But also that being said, if you allow yourself to really dive deep, some people wouldn't. Some people were like, na, nah, I'm good.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I literally took it as a as a I milked every opportunity to learn about myself in that situation, which was really cool. And I'm excited for the next season. I have no idea who it is and what they're doing, but I can't wait to watch.
Speaker 3: I can't either. It's going to be great. Beverly, thank you so much for being here with us and spending your time. You're always such a ray of light and your your perspective is so great and we're just so happy to have you here. So thank you for joining us.
Speaker 4: Oh, thank you guys so much for having me. It's a it's always a joy, so anytime I appreciate it.
Speaker 3: We'll probably see you at the next nineties Con.
Speaker 4: I know, wouldn't that'd be fun? Connecticut here we come, Yes.
Speaker 3: Exactly, and maybe and maybe we'll do a rewatch of the Dog who Saved Easter.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I think we should.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, there's so many fun things that we can all do of watching each other.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we could.
Speaker 4: We could have a blast of watching.
Speaker 3: We've done it quite a bit on our podcast. We've rewatched Writers, Summertime Switch.
Speaker 4: That's fun. I want to do. I also want to do some of the horror stuff. So I was like, I want I want them to watch Saw too. Yes, be like watch Me Die? Yes.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Those are always fun too.
Speaker 3: Always fun. It's a nice they're nice palate cleansers. Yes for you know, for when you're in when you're two and forty two episodes deep of Seventh Heaven, squatched some Saw Too.
Speaker 4: Let's yeah, let's just throw something in.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Beverly.
Speaker 4: It's always good to do you enjoy your day.
Speaker 3: She's always been such a positive like I just imagine her at four being on a set, and I'm like, I can I think even at four she was probably very much like just this little adult.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well I love the way that she's you know, when we started talking about this whole Special Forces thing, it was sort of.
Speaker 2: Like, can you imagine me and her?
Speaker 1: You know, you're like, yeah, it doesn't really fit her, but then throughout the rest of the interview she's like, tell me what to do and I'll do it.
Speaker 2: That's the kind of actor I am. And then she's like, I'm a loyalist. I will stay with you. I am right, And I'm like, you you're actually the perfect soldier.
Speaker 3: Like exactly, You're just a scribe committed yes.
Speaker 1: Like and she pushes herself and then she reflects, I'm like, this is no, you're a soldier.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, super funny.
Speaker 3: I know, really great. And it's funny because to her it's just because she was never an athlete, but she you know, but special Forces is true. Of course, you're also having to do physical things that are exhausting, but it's way more of a mental of a mental game. How committed are you? How willing to push yourself are you? And in that sense, she's the perfect person.
Speaker 1: For it, right right, Yeah, I guess like I would. Yeah, the physical thing would just kill me. I just you know, exercise, man, make me run more than like twenty minutes and I'm like.
Speaker 3: I'm out and they're running with like lots of gear on extra forty pounds.
Speaker 1: But the running, the mental part of like you know, like surviving and like doing scary things. I think I would actually love that. I love backpacking. I love the idea of like I mean, that's like why I love Survivors because I'm like, how would I be able to make fire and like get through the night.
Speaker 3: I love that stuff, But I die instantly. I'd never be able to make fire. I'd be like, what do we do here? Well, well, I wouldn't leave. I just have to tough it. I'd be like I can't eat and I can't have warmth, right, but I have to stick it out because I have no hands on skills like I have no I can't do a thing for myself.
Speaker 1: There was a moment like when we started this podcast where you were like, I want to go.
Speaker 2: Camp I do?
Speaker 3: I still do want to go camping? Do it? Do I still need you to teach me? I? Actually I do think that'd be the perfect thing, is to actually go camping with at least one other family that really knows what they're doing. Because I am a very visual learner and I will like take it and be like a sponge. I'm gonna go I'm gonna watch you, I'm gonna help, and then I'm going to try to do it on my own the next time. Yeah, so I do need to do that. Well. Thank you all for joining us for this episode of Pod Meets World. As always, you can follow us on Instagram pod Meets World Show. You can send us your emails pod Meets World Show at gmail dot com and huh oh, we've got merch pod meets Mercer Sadr, Podmeetsworldshow dot com writer send us out.
Speaker 2: We love you all, pod dismissed.
Speaker 1: Podmeets World is an iHeart podcast producer hosted by Danielle Fischel, Wilfridell and Ryder Straw. Executive producers Jensen Carp and Amy Sugarman. Executive in charge of production, Danielle Romo, producer and editor, Taras Sudbach, producer, Maddi Moore, engineer and Boy Meets World Superman Easton Allen.
Speaker 2: Our theme song is by Kyle Morton of Typhoon.
Speaker 1: Follow us on Instagram at Podmets World Show, or email us at Podmeats World Show at gmail dot com