Speaker 1: Always a pleasure to have Logan Gilbert on the show. Logan, of course, a right hander for the Seattle Mariners, a huge piece of a very formidable rotation for the MS. Logan, thanks so much for being with us. Great to see you. I know, everyone shows up to camp in the best shape of their life. Everyone's ready to go. But you guys have a lot to be excited about. What are you most excited about when it comes to this twenty twenty six M squad?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think the expectations this year just seems a little different. Of course, we made the playoffs, so a few years back, broke the streak and for a little bit it was kind of make the playoffs or win the division, and things changed last year and we saw how good we can be and how close we got. So this year already, a lot of the meetings that talk has just been the expectations that we see ourselves as one of the best teams.
Speaker 3: Have you recovered from last year? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, feeling good physically, Not physically I'm talking mentally, because yeah, I mean I was in obviously you know that I was there for the Alds against Tigers, which was one of the greatest series I've ever seen been a part of.
Speaker 3: Game five was unbelievable. You guys pulled it out right, and then you go to the next series against the Bluejas and have another unbelievable series inner so close. Just how do you get over that? Yeah, it's very taxing.
Speaker 2: It's like the coolest thing to be a part of that mentally, but also you're it's very high highs and low lows too, so it takes a while in a good way. You want to reflect on it and like let it sting for a little bit and motivate you. But at the same time, this year, I think we kind of address it but get past it. At the same time, we're a new team and expectations to win it all.
Speaker 4: Yeah, for someone who's never got a chance to play in the World Series but lost some tough games, you know, getting a chance to go to the World Series, what are those conversations like with your teammates in the offseason where you guys just continuingly, you know, pushing each other to just get a little bit better because you know you were so close to getting over that hume.
Speaker 2: Definitely, I think bringing nails back right away was the biggest thing, and for a moment and the team and all that, But a lot of those conversations I think took place right afterwards, just getting back to Seattle Pack in your locker, Like we're talking about the sting of being so close and losing, but at the same time we were talking just different guys whoa cal bryce like how close we got and also the team that we have that you know, like I said, let it hurt for a little bit, but also motivate us and come up next year and not come up short.
Speaker 3: What does that look like? Because he's mentioned bringing back nails, right, he lost Geno, but then you bring in Donovan. You have a lot of essentially the same team back that was really good last year. Now you guys are the favorites in this division, right, everyone's looking at you guys to not only be the favorites of the division, but possibly represent the American League. That's different here for Seattle then, like you mentioned, so how do you deal with the expectations and what does Dan say? Dan Wilson say, Yeah, I think it's where we want to be. It's fun.
Speaker 2: You want the target on your back and it's a big honor. Like we know we have a good division. We know the aos stacked. There's a lot of good teams. Be the top team at the beginning, it's a big deal. But at the same time, like honestly, it means nothing. You have to go out there, you have to prove it every single day. We have to win the games that matter. And Dan at the Helm, he's the man.
Speaker 3: He gets it.
Speaker 2: The players love him. He feels like a player still. He's setting the tone the right way from the get go.
Speaker 4: Yeah for someone who was drafted, you know, and his only pitch for the Mariners, take me inside kind of your head. You're dugout during Game five when cal Rawly hits that home run to tie the game, and then ultimately Gino goes and hits that home run. I mean, you know, I got a chance to play in the postseason. That was one of the greatest postseason atmospheres I've ever ever seen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was crazy.
Speaker 2: There's the loudest I've heard anything ever any stadium, any game. The fans in Seattle just going crazy. You can tell how long they've waited for something like that. All of us really, like you're talking about getting drafted here in eighteen. This has been the vision for years of what the team could be, where we could make it, and for years it was just kind of like seeing it. We're almost there, We're almost there, and then last year we actually got to taste of it that after seven or eight years, like this is what we wanted to happen. But at the same time, it can't be a one year thing. We want to be that team for five ten years. That every year is right there in the hunt, Logan.
Speaker 1: I'm here for the hard hitting questions, only the stuff that people want to know. You are a knicker style pant wearing guy, and all of a sudden, you're showing up in long pants and I need to know, Logan, what is happening?
Speaker 2: Why that got canceled? That didn't work out for me. I just I just wanted to change it. It's been like since high school or college that I tried that, and I always thought I would do it like last game of a season or something. But I can't bring myself to not take an outing seriously, even if it's just my pants. So I figured live VPS probably the most relaxed setting I could try it out, and it didn't work.
Speaker 3: So I'm back at pants up. Alani you have to understand that he's tall and skinny, so the short good. When you're short, it doesn't look good.
Speaker 1: Imagine how much taller he would even look in. I mean, you're six six, so long pants it's gonna elongate you even more. That is a menacing site on the mound looking.
Speaker 2: I was told it didn't look good though I was taller, but didn't look good at the same time. So I learned my lessons.
Speaker 3: So up here, so a lot of up here. There's a mural of like all the great A lot of the great, not all of them, A lot of the great Mariners. Most of them except for Felix, have long pants on. So would you go the Raula Banya's baggy look or would you go the Randy Johnson? These are way too tight, tapered, tight, rolled at the bottom line.
Speaker 2: I mean, Randy looks good. It's intimidating, but I don't know if I can pull it off. Cal told me today they were too tight, that's the problem. So I think maybe I go backwards with the baggy ones.
Speaker 3: Try that out. Yeah, someone showed me a picture of me from like twenty ten and my pants were like pajamas. Yeah, that was the look style, and we were jerseys baggy. Now everyone's gone super tight. Yeah, and it's like it'll go back to baggy. It always does it always, it always reverts back.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I got I got two for you. I want to know just I mean, obviously win all healthy, best starting staff in baseball. I want to know about your guys' kind of friendly competition with each other. You guys always consistently trying to one up each other. Someone goes out there throw seven, I'm saying I'm throwing eight. The next guy's trying to go nine. And then I was kind of always what's the word envious? I guess I love the way that you're starting pitchers come out of the bullpen and your high five routine. Kind of how that kind of started.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess since I got here really and I actually just ran into Marco yesterday with the pods now, but he was the one that was kind of the older guy when I got here, and establishing the culture and watching each other's bullpens every single day, being out there before the game to be ready for the starter coming in. It's just kind of the culture, at least on the pitching side, that we do that kind of stuff. I know the hitters have their things too, but we've always been a tight knit group, and like you're saying, we the competition and internally is really fun because guys have really good years that you want to top somebody else. Guys have really good games that you want to top them. So it brings out the best side of us.
Speaker 5: New sponsor alert shout out to Seat Geek over thirty five million downloads, the number one rated ticketing app. It is that time of year two and you can see the code at the bottom. We'd love some support there. Spring training, you have World Baseball Classic around the corner, so if you want to look for tickets, Seat Geek is the spot. But just for example, today's Monday, right, and spring training games started a few days ago. Aj, I'm looking at Tuesday since many people will catch this show after the games have already started on Monday. But we have Ranger Suarez making his debut down in Fort Myers for the Red Sox on Tuesday. I see show to Inmanaga making his spring training debut for the Cubbies out in Arizona, Andrew Abbott for the Reds. Actually, Angel Serpa too is going to start for the Brewers on Tuesday. He was in their mind a pretty big acquisition coming over from the Royals.
Speaker 6: He's always had good.
Speaker 5: Stuff, Gavin Stone against Gavin Williams with the Guardians and the Dodgers. George Kirby is starting his first spring trading outing for the Mariners. So there are some good spots to look at to grab some tickets.
Speaker 3: There are, and this is the time to go if you want to get players up close and personal, if you want a chance for an autograph, now is the time in spring training because everyone's just more relaxed, and the weather's great here in Arizona. So if you want to come out and just get some sunshine if you're stuck in I think Mark just said, you guys up in North got two feet of snow, Like, come on down to Florida. Don't stay too long, but come on down for spring training. Get your tickets there and come watch a beautiful game in the Cactus League or the Great Full League.
Speaker 5: Thanks to Seakik, Yeah, they've got your bag. Each ticket is rated on a scale of one to ten. You know you're getting a good deal there if you look for the green dots. Green is good, Red is bad, not complicated, and of course we have a code for you guys. You can use code Territory ten for ten percent off your next set of tickets at Sea Geek. That's ten percent off any tickets. It doesn't have to just be sports, concerts, festival, the whole deal promo code Territory one zero. Make sure you click the link in the description to download the app and have the code automatically added to your accounts so you can use it later.
Speaker 3: Thank you to see Geek any new pitches of Spring. Because you're you're known as a tinkerer, so you're always trying. Some people know that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm trying a couple of things, but I've I doubt they actually make it out of camp. I'm trying to cutter right now.
Speaker 3: You didn't throw a cutter because everyone throws like.
Speaker 2: I didn't twenty four and then I stopped throwing it, and now I might throw it again.
Speaker 3: So what's gonna make the decision?
Speaker 2: I guess just the feel I have Ford in Spring. I'm gonna try it out and sert.
Speaker 3: It doesn't work here in Arizona. The difference between Arizona and Seattle atmosphere is a big difference. It's a huge difference. Yeah, we'll see.
Speaker 2: We have smarter people than me behind the computers that are gonna help me out.
Speaker 3: Okay, as long as you listen, as long as you have that split, I think you're gonna be all right. Yeah, all the chances are a keep throwing that. Do you ever get tired of beating the crap out of cow with that split? Never?
Speaker 2: That's the fun part of it. Swinging missus okay too, but I like just bury it on them.
Speaker 3: Well yeah, but people swing and miss when it's in the dirt. Yeah, when it's up here.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Did you ever come to you and be like dude all the time?
Speaker 2: Seriously, all the time I hear him talking behind my back to it gets back to me.
Speaker 3: Does it? I hear it when you? Uh? Was it the postseason? It was in Detroit series? Was it you that threw the split and you missed it for a passball? And it was the first. I think it was the first the whole year it was. It's not fair that should go on your record like a knuckleball. Like, no, if you were a pitcher, you would be on my side. You would know that it can't ever be our fault, right, it has to be somebody else. Yeah, but that thing was so nasty. And I remember the stat when I looked at the stat and it was it was the first pass ball he had all year. Yeah, and he caught like one hundred and thirty games.
Speaker 2: It didn't even sound real. And somehow not being up for a Gold Glove. I don't want to be together, but he, I mean, that's no passball is in a whole season.
Speaker 3: He won the Platinum year ago. It doesn't get it didn't make sense to me that it wasn't even nominated. But that's I beat the drump for the m v P all year, so should have been. Yeah, but you're biased. I'm biased of a catcher, I get it. But yeah, yeah, that was one of the craziest stats.
Speaker 1: I mean I think he should have gotten it. I mean, cal there's no reason that cal If I understand it. Went's Aaron Judge, but come on, I mean, and logan to that horn for him. I mean, this is a guy that the home runs. Everything he's doing, not to mention everything he's doing behind the plate to get you guys through a game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, nobody's done it all like him. People have had good seasons, but he did everything at an elite level that if it doesn't go to him then then it's like, I don't know how. I don't know how it ever goes to a catcher for for doing every piece of what he's doing. Nothing against Aaron Judge. I still have to face him this year at some point. So got him. Great player. Can't say anything bad, but cal Cal is very, very good.
Speaker 3: I think he was well deserving.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was just gonna say, I mean, you know, we give cal a lot of credit for what he was able to do offensively, but just I mean, you're someone who works with him every single day. You're pitching staff, and I mean you got five monsters and your pitching staff all throwing, you know, from different angles and different stuff. You know, just kind of like Alana said, just kind of give him his flowers for what he's able to do behind the plate as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's so good at it, knowing what works for different people. Arsenals approaches sequences also like what gets you right. He knows the language to use with us that makes us the best version of ourselves. It's hard enough focusing on your own career, I know, and I only have to play thirty times a year. He's playing every single day and worrying about twelve other guys thirteen other guys too, and then putting up sixty homers.
Speaker 3: It's it's unreal. It'll be fun to see what he does. Do you a yeller at her? Or you? You need kind all to come out there and yell at you. Are you a joke? Do you need a joke? What does he put his arm around you and coddle you? What does he do for you?
Speaker 2: He's been saying he thinks I need a joke here and there, and I keep telling him that that's not that's not the I he knows when it get on me at the right times. I like that he knows he has good feel for the people in the situation. It's not all the time you prefer. I like when he when he brings some attitude every once in a while.
Speaker 3: So if he comes out of your mask on it, puts his glove over his face, he's like, you suck, what's wrong with you? And then you're like laughing, and you know what he's saying, you need that every once in a while. I agree with that. I agree, okay, Logan.
Speaker 1: Gave's fires up after you. What's something we should know about Gabe that we don't know?
Speaker 3: Oh Man, something about Gabe.
Speaker 2: Gosh, I'm trying to think if I know anything about Gabe.
Speaker 3: Oh so oh no, no, Aloni, this is perfect starting pictures. They can't hang out with the bullpen guy. They're the five, they're the group five. They have to stick together. Saved like twenty runs a year for me. So I can only say good things about him. Uh, I don't know.
Speaker 2: He's got a son that's been out here. He's one hanging out at the field every day. Maybe asked about that or Team USA. He's got a lot going on. He loves a sauna back at home.
Speaker 3: He's big. Did you have any I didn't hear much nont here much.
Speaker 6: I hear much.
Speaker 3: I mean skiing scooble web. Gilbert would have been a nice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's some good other pictures. I can't hold a grudge.
Speaker 1: It's true, true, Logan, thank you, You're a pleasure to talk to, get to know. I'm glad you made the decision on the pants. Appreciate that. Good luck this year.
Speaker 7: Man.
Speaker 1: We can't wait to see you guys back in that postseason.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I appreciate it. Thanks for having me on.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to foul territory. Everybody. You can see that we are at Mariners camp of course today A J. Pierzinski, Kevin Palara, Alana Rizzo with you, and Rob Refsnyder sitting next to Aj. Nice to see Rob in an M's UNI. Not quite used to it yet coming over from the Boston Red Solide. Rob, good to be with you. You guys were just talking off camera about the fact that you know you're still doing it. Kevin said that if he had that swing, he'd still be playing too. What are you excited the most about in terms of getting going with the M's obviously a team that has sites getting back to the postseason.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean you can kind of feel the the excitement even though like kind of the sense of urgency even in spring training. They had such a great run last year and added some some really good pieces with it, with like Donovan and things like that. So now it's a it's an exciting camp and you can kind of feel it. You know, everyone's pretty focused and yeah, definitely.
Speaker 3: What have they said to you as far as role wise on this team? Are you're gonna do what you normally do just bash lefties, play kind of all around the outfield and just mash. Yeah, I mean Jerry Justin.
Speaker 6: Dan's communication has been pretty pretty amazing honestly all off season, even in camp, so a lot of looks against lefties and mixing in the outfield. So yeah, but the communication has been, you know, incredible so far.
Speaker 3: Hey, Rob, what changed for you?
Speaker 4: Because we were teammates in twenty seventeen in Toronto and you kind of bounced around and then you end up in Boston and find a home there for a couple of years. You know, what's changed with you? Swing wise, mentality wise, because you know, you were one of those guys that was kind of a four A player and now you know, four years later, you're one of the best left handed you know, specialists in the game.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I guess, uh.
Speaker 6: I mean at that time, I had really no like identity as a ball player. I was I was mixing in a bunch of different positions and really kind of lost with my swing and really what I wanted to focus on and kind of what I knew I could handle what I couldn't. So, you know, at that time, I was just searching, honestly, and but I had some really really good teammates at you know, with with Kevin and Steve Pierce at the time helped me a lot. I don't think he really realized how much he helped me at the time, but he really wanted me to just kind of simplify it. And then you know, I met some incredible hitting coaches. Kevin Knows, uh, Pete Fatsy with the Red Sox, Uh, Cody Atkinson Uh. Now I think assistant with Toronto, a couple others. I'm leaving a couple out, but Borgs hitting coach now with the Nationals. So without those guys, I'd be, you know, at home doing something else. So a lot of credit goes to those hitting coaches.
Speaker 3: Yeah, man, was the one approach?
Speaker 6: Was it in like twenty seventeen. It was big on just like I don't know, it was like pull side air, but no one really knew how to teach it. So we had all this information and my assuming was just super underplane. So underplane, I mean a lot of golfers out there, I'm sure it's just I was just hooking the ball to the left as already I was just underneath the ball and then through contact my bat was rolling up through the zone and just super super just high up through the zone, so a lot of top spins. So anything I pulled was either at the shortstop or over the shortstop's head, and then I would catch it deep and I would flush it to write, but I didn't have the juice hit it out to write, so it was just a whole lot of nothing. I always did an okay job of controlling the strike zone, so I think that helped me stay in Triple A and get some some ambassing Triple A. Just working through those things, just having I guess, like competitive at bats but without those hitting coaches, and getting my swing a little bit more flat through the zone and learning some things I could handle some things I couldn't. Yeah, like I said, I would be, I'd be doing something else.
Speaker 1: Rob do you play to the park obviously you're going from Fenway to Tea Mobile or do you just stay within the same approach and not try to adjust too much based on where you're playing.
Speaker 6: I think it's important for younger players to realize who you're facing. You know, AJ Kevin can talk about it. Just there's some some pictures out there that it doesn't match up with your swing and for you to try to do certain things to those pictures, it's just not any You're not going to have any success. So just kind of realizing the pictures you can maybe take a chance on, and then the pictures you realize, you know they're going syncer away, change up away, like you're going to kind of bury your head and try to drive it in the four hole, hit over the second basement's head. Also if you're not feeling that great that day and you're kind of leaning off working the counts and trying to get on base for the big guys in the order. So just trying to play that kind of game within the game has helped me a lot, especially as a kind of platoon not playing every day. You got to pick those kind of battles.
Speaker 3: You're you're like the perfect guy for me that I have conversations with players, especially veteran players for winning teams. You know what your role is, right, You have a specific job on the Mariners to hit lefties, play your positions when you get in there, and then you also help the young kids. You guys don't have a ton of young kids, but the young kids you can help out and show them how to be a bench guy or show them how to how to make adjustments like you did. I think teams that win have guys like you, and that's why you're so valuable.
Speaker 6: I appreciate it. Yeah, you know, awesome coming from you. But yeah, I just think, you know, I've you know, when I play with Kevin in twenty seventeen, I was really searching kind of you know, staying afloat, and I had some incredible veterans just take time out of their day. And you know, I wasn't a father at the time, but like these guys have kids, they have a lot of responsibilities, places to be, and for them to take extra time even away from the ball park through text or phone calls, just to help me out. I mean, I'm just always been so I guess gracious and thankful for that. So anytime I can pay it forward. And you know, I've had a couple guys kind of reach out this camp and it's been cool, kind of digging a little bit deeper and some of their their numbers and things like that. Their approach. I think the easiest thing you can do is adjust your approach in today's game, because pictures are just so dang good.
Speaker 4: Yeah, to kind of piggyback on that. You know, I know how difficult it be to be a platoon guy. You know what's kind of your preparation to stay ready, locked in every single day? And is there someone that's kind of helped you, you know, learn how to be the best at that position.
Speaker 6: Trying to think of some some great I mean fatsy in. You know, I still searching for a lot of different things, but in twenty two I met Pete and just you know, keeping it simple, but I think a j can talk about it. We're always searching for a feeling or like feeling really locked in and as a platoon, as.
Speaker 3: A harder is a guy that doesn't get to play every day.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think it's important that the younger players know and and things like that that that's just not a reality in our role. You're not going to play. There's days where I don't play for seven or eight days. So I think, you know, mixed BP, which MIXEDVP is just sounds like it is. It's just you know, I never really know what's coming. So never getting too comfortable in the cage I think is important because you're never going to feel that comfortable in the game. So mixed speeds, different angles and things like that have been really really important for me. I think being an't about my time on the road. There's usually in one cage, so I try to get in there early, do my routines, to stay out of some people's way, and just make sure I have enough time to get my routine in and things like that. But a lot of mix vp and making sure I'm super slow and early and on time. That's the most important thing. Staying behind the baseball, just so you know, just not not trying to do too much when you're up there is really important. I'm saying a bunch of cliches, but that's really my routine. And and being okay with not feeling locked in all the time or ever, because it's it's it's really hard to even do when you're in every day, every day guy. So just making sure I'm behind the ball and when I'm in the in the batter's box is just like what I want to do to the baseball, not like where my hands, where is my foot? There's my toe tap? Because strike one, strike two really fast.
Speaker 1: It's almost like being comfortable with the uncomfortable rob and I think what I think about you, it's almost like a Swiss army knife and that utility role of kind of being able to I mean, and you have more time as a corner outfielder than you do uh as an infielder, but you can do it all. Do you think that's I know, what's valuable. But do you think that type of thing has been able to elongate your career and and really find a place for yourself because you can do so much.
Speaker 6: I'm not I'm not exactly sure how I stay in the.
Speaker 3: Game for this long, but because you can hit, because you hit your teammate and you can play there.
Speaker 6: But you know, honestly, being receptive to coaching and h but knowing yourself is important, you know. I think when I was younger, it's you know, you can you can almost be too coachable, not having identity, so making sure you're surrounded by people that that can help you identify things that you're that you're good at and things that you can work on. But yeah, just being receptive to coaching and then always kind of pushing the limits in the off season and the even season of like you know, a training a certain way and things like that. I think, shoot, my first year was in twenty fifteen in the major leagues, and from twenty fifteen to now, how much like development in the major leagues is going on. It's it's wild. It's just it's constantly pushing the envelope and things like that. So I think that's the biggest growth I've seen in our game is just like you know, you're you're in a coach's office at one thirty before a game and you're kind of figuring out things you can get do to get better that day. But also it's important that you have a staff that recognizes and Dan said that in our first meeting, like the most important thing is the game at seven, so making sure you're ready for that. So it's a huge balance and I think that's why you see so much staff now.
Speaker 3: It makes sense. It's tough, all right. Before to let you go, I have to ask you this. I didn't know this about you. So I just found out that you were actually born in Korea. Yeah, but you grew up in the US. And as the Olympics are going on, the figure skater who was born in China just won a gold medal for the US. Right, So if WBC would you play for Korea or would you play for the US. And then if they do happen this year, let's say they play each other somewhere down the road, what were you root for?
Speaker 6: It's a great question, man, It's a tough question to end it on.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I was adopted in Korea, born in Korea, and then I grew up in south southern California. Both my parents are are white. My dad's six foot eight. I used to go to Lakers games and uh he looked like Tilt Jackson.
Speaker 3: So he like, would you say Phil Wareons? Yeah?
Speaker 6: Yeah, all the all the guys had a couple of pops. Uh no, on the on the JumboTron. He'd always like he would get on it sometimes as like to looklike, yeah, So, I mean, I don't know. I almost want to go play in Korea in kind of when I was floundering in the minor leagues a little bit and maybe like twenty eighteen. But to answer your question, I have no idea.
Speaker 3: But yeah, so then then it leads me to one more question. Sorry, if you went and played in a couple.
Speaker 6: Of good corner outfitters for Team USA, I know I understood, but it was it this year judge and jeez, they have every Roman judge who's in center.
Speaker 3: Jeez, it's everybody, anybody, you can think of everything. Yeah, yeah, I don't think you're out Iron Buxton. Yeah you're not running those two. Yeah, they're stacked. So if you went and.
Speaker 6: Played, I don't think I'm pitch hitting for any of those.
Speaker 3: Even if they brought in a left I think. Okay, I think if you if you were going to go and play in Korea, because I I didn't think about that, would you count as a because you know, they can only have so many for as.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 3: Would you count as a formal because you're you're born.
Speaker 6: I'm sure the team would try to get me as a non foreign, but I don't know. That's a good question.
Speaker 3: We have to figure that one out and let you know. Yeah, hopefully you don't have to worry about unless you want to go like Adam Jones did at the end of his career and play a couple of years ago.
Speaker 6: Yeah he did Japan, right, Yeah, Yeah, Now I know a couple of guys playing right now, Bobby dollbacks in Japan, and yeah, I mean a bunch of guys are coming back though as pitchers, and yeah, and getting a nice little pay day. Okay, well thanks Rob, Yeah, thanks guys.
Speaker 3: Gabe Spire now joining us from the Seattle Mariners, And I just want to say this before we get into this. He's a lefty, so he probably would have dominated me, but his cousin, Justin Spiers, I was three for eight off of So I'm just gonna say that I own the whole Spire family. Okay, I'm just gonna I'm just gonna put a whole umbrella over the entire Spire pitching family. That three seventy five feels pretty good. So I owned the whole family.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I'm gonna have to show this clip to Justin. Let him have a rebuttal hair. But I mean, man, I guess you know we'll never know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, right, like sinker cutter guys, I could hit those Yeah.
Speaker 4: A j There's a reason I'm sitting here now because the guy's like him. He used to eat my lunch.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 4: I used to have to come off the bench and pinch it against this guy, you know, go on the on deck circle.
Speaker 3: They'd bring him in and.
Speaker 4: Then he just he just punched my ticket.
Speaker 6: So I thank you for that.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 8: Oh, I guess you're welcome. I'm sorry, I don't know what to say.
Speaker 3: I'm happy. I'm happy. Man.
Speaker 6: Life's good.
Speaker 3: Life's good. Have you seen his strikeout numbers, like justin Joel was it thirty twenty one to one strikeout to walk ratio last year? So he was punching everybody's ticket last year. It's fun.
Speaker 8: Strikeouts are my you know, it's the most fun you have out there is striking guys out.
Speaker 6: That's what you do.
Speaker 3: So you're not just but you're not just a lefty specialist. I mean you punch lefties and righties thout.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean, you know, it's taking some work to get to that point. I you know, righty's always have hit slightly better off of me, and this last year, just having that four seam that I could throw into them and up really was a game changer for me. It was, you know, I would I think there were some pretty big splits there early on, but last year I was able to kind of clean those up. And I think that that's I attribute that to the forcing fastball to arieties for ninety seven.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean that helps.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, it's insane. Sorry A j But you guys are just talking about the strikeout to walk ratio. Only one other picture of the three hundred and sixty one pitchers were better than you, and that guy just won his second cy. Young. I mean, you've got to take a lot of pride in that. I mean, being able to strike guys out, because in this game, which has changed so much over the course of the year, is to either you know, guys strike out or hit home runs. But you are just dominating regardless of who you face. I mean, you got to take a.
Speaker 7: Lot of pride in that, yeah, for sure, you know.
Speaker 8: And and coming over to the Mariners, they they preach, you know, dominate the zone. And I think I got to thank them a lot because they showed me the numbers on just you know, getting ahead of guys and just being on the attack, being on the offense as a pitcher, I think that's really hew And just limiting free bases is so huge and just really challenging guys, and you know, you find yourself in a lot more to strike counts when you're you know, on the attack, and then once you get to two strikes you can kind of go from there and maybe expand a little bit and you know, it worked out last year and I you know, hoping to carry it into this year as well.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that was gonna be my question. The Seattle Mariners. What have they done for you? And it sounds like it's been more of a mentality than it has been you know, physical adjustments.
Speaker 7: Yeah, no, absolutely.
Speaker 8: I remember when I got claimed off waivers coming to the Mariners, I was expecting, you know, we want you to grip your slider a different way, we want you to throw add new pitches and whatnot. But it was quite the opposite. It was really you know, we claimed you off waivers because we like what you're doing already. We just need you to throw it in the zone more and be more aggressive. And and you know, I wouldn't say it was easy for me, but I really just kind of put all my marbles into that basket of really just attacking and and then you know, the results fall and confidence followed, and then I was kind of able to, you know, just have that snowball effect and and really just keep attacking guys. And you know, it became easier and easier as I went. I guess That's what I'm trying to say.
Speaker 3: Kay, did you know that we were teammates for about two months. I didn't realize this, not even months, about three two weeks.
Speaker 7: Really when you were brave, Oh my gosh.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean you were really a brave, but you were like a brave. So teople that don't know Gabe was traded. You came up. You were originally with the Red Sox and you got traded to the Tigers for Cesspadoes, which is kind of nice. Yeah, that's cool, and for Rick Pricello and then you went to the Diamondbacks right for Ian Kroll, Ian Croll and you for cam Maven.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's I went to the Braves in that trade.
Speaker 3: Yeah. And then two weeks later they traded you and Shelby Miller for Dansby and Er and Aaron Blair. Yeah, your teammates technically for those for about two weeks.
Speaker 7: That's crazy.
Speaker 3: I didn't know that.
Speaker 8: I mean, yeah, I never wore a Brave Braves jersey in my life, you know. I was part of that organize, like you said, for two weeks in the off season. So, but that's funny.
Speaker 3: So good thing you don't get tattoos of all the teams you've.
Speaker 8: Been No, no, no, because I would have be covered. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, how crazy of a journey if you you mentioned going from you know, getting claimed off waivers to the Mariners now about to pitch for Team USA. You know, could you envision that maybe four or five years ago.
Speaker 8: No, you know, it's it's it's been crazy for me to kind of take a step back and reflect on, you know, how I've gotten to this point. It's been a windy road, but you know, I wouldn't change it. I've I've made a lot of good friends in each organization I've been with, learned a lot from different coaches in each organization I've been with, And you know, it's it's the road I've been on. Like I said, it's been windy, but it has gotten me to this point, so I wouldn't change it. It's been learned a lot, and I'm happy to be a Mariner. I feel at home here and hopefully I can pitch here in a Mariner's uniform for a long time.
Speaker 1: Day Big Sonica logan Gilbert told us your big sauna guy, So I need to know how particular you are when picking out the sauna. What are the things you have to have?
Speaker 8: Oh, it has to be a traditional sauna over infrared. I like the actual heater with the rocks and you can throw the water on it and steam it up in there. But yeah, no, the Mariners have one in the clubhouse, and I was in there quite a bit and and it didn't force me, but I really wanted to get one of my own to put in my house, and and I did. I pulled the trigger and got one installed in my house and I'm in there every night. It's it's part of the routine now, it's relaxing. I feel like it helps with my recovery. And I get my wife in there too. It's it's become a little u you know, ritual of ours. So it's a good time and I really do enjoy it.
Speaker 3: Are you super particular a lot of it? I wonder if you have like an exact temperature or you like it has to be at two hundred and one degree.
Speaker 8: Well, yeah, it's like normally I go two hundred for twenty minutes and bored.
Speaker 3: Though because I try to do it, because I can't take my I'm afraid my phone's gonna blow up in the sauna. Yeah, for twenty minutes.
Speaker 8: I you know, breathe, work on my try to like meditate and relax, you know, the first ten minutes, and when it's two hundred degrees it's it's really hot in there. In the first ten minutes is relaxing, and then the next ten minutes is a bit of a grind and you really gotta kind of dig deep, work on your breathing and all that. But when you get out, you just feel so refreshed. And I do it at night before bed, so it helps me fall asleep off faster right to bed, or just I mean I should I rinse it off, because if you go.
Speaker 3: Sauna right to bed, there's no way your wife's allowing you.
Speaker 7: No, no, no, no.
Speaker 8: I I probably go in and then have about an hour before I go to sleep. It's I, you know, cool off, and cause even if you you rinse off, you're still sweating after, so you need to take a second. I like to stretch a little bit because you're you know.
Speaker 3: You're hot in the sauna.
Speaker 8: It's not quite big enough. I gotta like a two persons onner. So there's a there's a couple of things I can do in there.
Speaker 3: But the other day I was in one and it was a it was at a country club and there was a guy in there stretching and it was like the most awkward thing. I'm in the corner, sitting there in the corner, all all scrunched up, and he's like bending over, touching his toes with just a towel. I'm like, this is really awol.
Speaker 7: You should get your own then you don't have to worry about that.
Speaker 4: Hey that that that playoff share money made a little easier to buy that sauna, I'm sure.
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, oh yeah, that's always nice, you know it is. It's a like it was.
Speaker 8: I was just telling somebody earlier, like the postseason it was like the best part of last season, absolutely, but also the hardest part. You know, I've never pitched in the postseason, and you know, I've been done in the end of September every year, and that extra you know, three weeks of baseball. It's tough on the body and all that. But like I said, also the best part of last season. But you know, that playoff share it was nice to see hit the Bay account and so yeah, I can't complain about that.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I had asked Logan about, you know, being in the dugout when Cal Rowley hit that home winning Game five. It was one of the best atmospheres, you know, I'd ever seen in a baseball stadium.
Speaker 3: Were you still in the.
Speaker 4: Bullpen during that time?
Speaker 3: And what was kind of that view from the bullpen?
Speaker 4: Where had you already come in the game.
Speaker 8: I had already pitched. I was in the dugout. But yeah, I mean, Cal he did it all season long. It was like, you know, at times it's almost expected for him to go yard, but I mean, that was such a big moment, and you know, super happy for Cal. He's he hasn't changed at all. You know, some people hit the limelight and they changed a little bit. He's he's been the same guy. He's you know, he's the leader of this team. He's a grinder back there in the plate, and you know he hits from both sides of them. He's just so special, such a special player and so special for this organization, this team.
Speaker 1: Dabe, tell me about the tats I think you have on your knees, right, I can see some tats.
Speaker 8: Oh yeah, yeah, I've got up both my thighs. I've got one on my shin here, I've got my arms. I was kind of going hard there for a little bit. I haven't had one in a couple of years now. I had my son two years ago and and that slowed the tattoo process down a little bit.
Speaker 3: Go full body? Well, would you go full body?
Speaker 7: You know, it's hard to say. I mean, it's I think I would.
Speaker 8: I don't know if I would have like my neck and face done, but you know, I'd like to continue on my arms, maybe creep onto the my chest a little bit or something like that, but full body probably not.
Speaker 7: But are you I definitely want more.
Speaker 1: What about your left arm? Did you tat your because a lot of guys won't tat the arm that they throw with. Do you have them on your left?
Speaker 6: Yes?
Speaker 8: The first tattoo I ever got was on my left arm. It was right here as my grandpa had passed away, and I got a little remembrance tattoo for him. But yeah, I mean I have I think I have more on my on my left arm than I do on my right. So I need to go under my right and even it out. But I said, it's just slowed down since I had my son. It's just it's just not as much of a priority now, I guess. But I do need to make some time and go get more because I do.
Speaker 3: I do want more.
Speaker 4: Is there a Team USA one coming here soon?
Speaker 3: If you guys win the gold?
Speaker 6: Uh?
Speaker 8: You know, I haven't considered that. Maybe if we win the gold, you know, I'd have to consider it, but uh, I'm not going to commit to anything just yet.
Speaker 3: How excited are you for it? Talk about how excited you are to pitch for the USA.
Speaker 8: So excited I mean to to be able to wear USA across the chest and play the game I love is is a dream come true. You know, we were talking about it earlier. I never really expected this, so it was a bit of a shock to me to get the call, and when I did, it was it was a no brainer for me. I mean, just such a such a cool event to be a part of and to be in that locker like I feel like it fully hasn't hit me yet. But once I feel like I put the jersey on and get in that locker room with some of those guys, it's gonna be like, oh my gosh, this is this is crazy. And you know, I've talked to some of the guys in the clubhouse that have played in the WBC and they just say it's it's an experience like no other, and just just looking forward to getting to going.
Speaker 3: Who are you most excited about meeting?
Speaker 8: I mean Clayton Kershaw, is you know tired, Yeah, but he's playing I know, no, he he jumps to the top of my mind for sure.
Speaker 7: Just you know, arguably the best picture of our generation.
Speaker 8: And just just to be able to shake his hand and and you know, talk to him about pitching is something I'm really looking forward to.
Speaker 1: Curse is a great guy, first ballot. Hall of Famers certainly gave the text thread I heard the chat for the WBC has been lit as the kids say Corbyn. Carrol was saying that some of the hotel choices are a little suspect. But what other things are you guys talking about in that chat? What can you share with us about the conversation so far?
Speaker 8: Just everyone's really excited, you know, everyone's throwing the America gifts out there, and you know, I think I've seen some Kenny Powers ones and if you guys know, you know it's he's a just a funny show.
Speaker 7: But yeah, it's just, uh, it's super light.
Speaker 8: You know, guys are having fun, super excited about it, and it's it's just cool to you know, have some of those guys in my phone, you know, like honestly like to see Clayton Kershaw texting, like and I'm getting text from Clayton versus position players text right, yeah, so our our text that is just the pictures. And you guys just you just don't want to be part of the team, you guys. Yeah another name, yeah, you know, like just to it's wild. You know Andy pettit's the pitching coach. I have Andy Pettitt's number saving my phone now. It's just, uh, it's just kind of crazy, how how all this is going, and uh just really excited.
Speaker 6: That's awesome.
Speaker 3: That's great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it is awesome. What an honor well earned, the well deserved game, thanks so much.
Speaker 3: Hold on, all these guys are walking by and they're all jacked. Wait only sees Kershall walk around those shirt on it, He's gonna be like, wait, wait, this is what they look like.
Speaker 1: Is an interesting uh like kind of a dad bod. But you know what, hirsh has earned every ounce of that dad whatever the heck he wants to do.
Speaker 3: Okay, I agree with that. I agree with that.
Speaker 1: Gabe. Good luck man, have a great season. It's such a pleasure to get to know you. Can't wait to see you guys, what you do this year. Thanks for being with us
Speaker 3: Thank you, thank you for having me and I appreciate it.