Speaker 1: Scott. You ready, Oh, I'm ready to laugh and laugh and laugh.
Speaker 2: I think you are.
Speaker 1: I am here.
Speaker 2: It is clever. Crocodiles in Indonesia are faking drowning to lure humans in to rescue them and then eat them.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's a beautiful world. We live on a beautiful planet. And let's get into a beautiful episode of the Bananas Podcast.
Speaker 3: World.
Speaker 4: Understand, would your sillion pieces would.
Speaker 1: Ba ba?
Speaker 2: Bana Guys, goals, non binary pals, Welcome to Bananas.
Speaker 1: I'm Kirk Brown Older, Hi, I'm Banana Boy number two. Thank you for listening to the silliest little podcast server was. We understand the world is very strange right now, but we just keep it light, keep it easy, breezy. We're the opposite of hot takes, guys, we're cold takes. This is the.
Speaker 2: Old takes, all right. We'd like a nice thing of leftovers in the fridge. When you open that up your siight, it's just that reheated if you want, We're not going to heat it up. We are the cold take boys. We do not speak truth to power.
Speaker 1: We just wiggle between the cracks because we know your mental health relies on it. Anyways, anyway, stand up shows, you want to announce, well, I do.
Speaker 2: Want to say March twenty ninth will be a stand up live in Phoenix, Arizona Live Bananas Podcast, and then I will be March seventh Asbury Park, New Jersey, March eighth in Chicago at the Den Theater, and March ninth in Cincinnati. Actually it's Kentucky. It's Dayton, Kentucky. I'm gonna be upfront with you at the Commonwealth's cool at the Commonwealth Sanctuary. It's a cool little venue. All the dates on everything instagramlah blah blah. Now to get to what we're really both very interested in here, all right, our guests today. Our guest today is a stand up whose comedy's been seen on the Tonight show This Is Not Happening and her last stand up special on Hulu, The Hustler. You can hear her on her podcast Pretend Problems, or watch her on her brand news special Mark Your Territory out today on Hulu and YouTube. Please welcome Kelsey Cook.
Speaker 5: Hi, guys, thank you for having me.
Speaker 1: We're so glad to have you. We've wanted to have you on for a while, but it's exciting when there is a special coming out because that is a time where people get revved up and you don't have to talk about your past specials, which I know can be a bummer sometimes too.
Speaker 5: This is true. This is true.
Speaker 3: There's an album from a long time where we're like, I don't ever want to speak of that. Ever, No one needs to listen to that. This one's more fun to talk about for sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, where did you record it?
Speaker 5: So?
Speaker 3: I recorded it at Comedy on State in noticin the boest love it.
Speaker 5: There's actually my room.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, best screen room. It was actually my first time ever at that club, so it was like a little bit of a gamble, but I had just heard from everybody that it was their favorite club in the country, and.
Speaker 5: So I was like, fuck it, let's just do it. Rip the tits off it.
Speaker 1: And it just ripped the tits off.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what they're say in Madison. That's a specifically Madison expression because it's so cold there.
Speaker 3: Yes, well, I moved to Minnesota two years ago, so now I would understand it completely. It was negative eighteen here last week and I almost almost perished. It's it's really insane what happens out here. I don't get why it's even like a place that people live. I only moved here because this is where my boyfriend is from.
Speaker 5: But other than that, it's.
Speaker 3: Like I wish it was kind of like a spirit Halloween where it's like, let's just be open for a couple months, but in the summer and the rest of the time, it's like we don't need this, we.
Speaker 2: Switch over to a Christmas tree.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so anyway, but yeah, but Madison was lovely, the people there were great, and yeah, I'm really happy with how the special turned out.
Speaker 1: Oh that's that's a great feeling. Kurt mentioned the uh the green room there, because you know, you're a touring comic, you've been many places, and sometimes they put you in basically a broom closet, Like sometimes you're really really and sometimes the menu at those places is so bad you're like, I'm just not going to eat for the next five hours. But for some reason, they have like the greatest of It's like a friend's TV show New York apartment with a full table with great food with every toy.
Speaker 3: Imagine there's a shot. It's like truly the soundstage of the New Girl Show. It's like gorgeous and yeah, I don't know, maybe you guys have worked there.
Speaker 5: I won't say the name of the club.
Speaker 3: There is a club, uh in California where the green room truly is like the broom closet and it's slashed the kitchen and I just remember seeing buckets of hot dogs, like what you would keep gardening gloves in, but it was the hot dogs in there. And I had family comm and I was like, you will not eat when you were here? Look at me, like you eat before you come, do not eat? And so the comedy on State green Room, it's like comics, see such dark shit that you get a pop a shot machine.
Speaker 5: You feel like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. It's crazy.
Speaker 2: But whenever Scotty, So, Scotty's a you know, he's a screenwriter, so like this is the first time that he's ever been going and doing shows with me live on the road, and every single time we go out and goes, I have no fucking idea how you stand ups do it? I have no idea. This is awful.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's fun because it's Kurt and I and I love Kurt and so and we're wearing our dumb yellow outfits, and we're talking about other stuff, like we're never worried about our live shows. It's not anxious beforehand. We're having a good time as buddies. So I understand that. But sometimes Kirk goes out there to run tech and I'm just sitting on black crap leather sofas and or a love seat, and I'm sitting there looking at all the signed headshots and all the signed tour posters, and I'm like, this is fucking terrible. I love and all my friends are comics. Kelsey like yeah, and I empathize. And I think that everybody that came from nowhere and played those shows for two people. Yeah, play the bar shows where nobody showed up, and then you get an audience and then suddenly have a full club. It's incredible. But what people don't know is the mental strain of just sitting back there by yourself all night, I mean twice in between shows.
Speaker 2: It sucks.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, you have to be broken in a really specific way to want to do this for a living. And I don't Kurt, if you do this, tell me. But sometimes on the road, if it's like an especially dark weekend, I will turn the thermost up in my hotel room really high, so that when I come back, I feel like I'm getting a hug from the room.
Speaker 1: That I love.
Speaker 3: That I'm just like, I need to be held by this double tree right now because there's no bumper in the green.
Speaker 2: I get held by the massive amount of food I eat afterwards, and they hugged me from the inside. Yes, the pressure is the same. The pressure is the same.
Speaker 5: I completely here.
Speaker 2: What is the what's the new special about? What do you what do you talk about in there? Do you talk about moving?
Speaker 1: I do?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a that's a good chunk of the beginning of the special is talking about moving to Minnesota, talking about like, I mean, you have to really fucking love somebody to move here, and I moved here in January, which is just.
Speaker 5: Like trial by fire.
Speaker 2: It's intense.
Speaker 5: It's so intense. So talking about that, talking about how.
Speaker 3: So my my boyfriend is Chad Daniels, who's also a comedian, and he's older than me, and so I talk about like our age gap. And he has adult children and so that's he has a daughter who's about to turn twenty one. And that's been an interesting dynamic because you know, she'll like she followed me on Instagram when we started dating, and then she saw some of my material.
Speaker 5: About her dad.
Speaker 3: Like I had posted a joke from my previous special about that Chad has a sect to me, and he's the first guy I've ever been with the sect to me, So I like didn't know what to expect, and like, is this sort of like, you know, just just a very graphic joke, and like terms of finding out what what happens, like if it's just dust.
Speaker 2: Or it's everyone.
Speaker 1: Old pixie stick and I've quit jockeing.
Speaker 2: Surprisingly, Surprisingly, it's more dust than it was anything else.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and for those listening at home, it's exactly the same, nothing changes. It couldn't be more similar. You know something a coward go get a secto.
Speaker 3: That is that's like the end of my joke is saying like it's basically normal. I mean this is again it's a little graphic, but I do say I feel like it's like beyond Burger, where it's like it looks the same, think it looks the same, but then once it's in your mouth, you're like something's missing. This is like me, this is like diet come. This is like wider. This is it's different. Anyway, I had posted that joke on Instagram, not thinking about that history now followed me, and she let her dad know pretty swiftly that I had been unfollowed. And uh so, anyway, I like all that back in this special, talk about that a little bit, and then uh my mom unfortunately has this like very rare type of dementia. And and so the last oh thank you, the last part of the special, I talk about like going through that process with her and just trying. It's like, it's such a heavy, hard thing to go through and to talk about. But I wanted to find a way to bring it on stage because it's been so great now to I have people come up afterward and be like, oh my god, my parent also has dementia where my grandmyparent has it. Thank you for finding it in a way to like bring some levity. So so yeah, I talked about it there.
Speaker 2: That is so such a like my last special, I talked about my mom dying of cancer, and that was like the last story I don't know twenty minutes of it. Thank you okay, And it is such a did you Because I wrestled with the piece as a piece for like I don't know, like a two years to find the right thing to end it with, and it took me until we were like getting ready to shoot oh, to be actually find the exact actual words that got the response that I wanted to so that it like ended really high to how long did you have to try and find that ending or was it already kind of there?
Speaker 3: I you know, I guess I didn't find it because I ended up closing on a different joke that wasn't about her, but the dementia stuff kind of like led into that. But I'm I'm now in that place with this new hour that I'm working on on tour where I'm talking about it a little bit again and I maybe you.
Speaker 5: Guys can help me.
Speaker 3: I'm trying to find the way to talk about how she doesn't always recognize me anymore.
Speaker 1: Now sure, Yeah, I've had that, and how.
Speaker 3: That like I know when she doesn't recognize me because she talks to me like a guy with commitment issues, Like I'll be like, Okay, I love you, and she's like that's nice.
Speaker 1: But it's so funny.
Speaker 5: I oh thanks.
Speaker 3: I Also I just feel like it shows you how sweet of a human she is because like if you think about what's really going on internally for her, so few people would react like that if they actually thought of strange like this, just strange girl came into your bedroom and like hung out with you for eight hours and then.
Speaker 5: The end was like I love you, you'd be like can you get the fuck out of you? Like people would freak out and call the cops, and my mom's just like, Okay, that's nice. So I don't know.
Speaker 3: Again, it's it's very dark and I'm trying. It's like get in a lot, but it's not like a closing laugh, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've been dating her long enough. If you got a date at least six months before you say I love you. My grandmother had to mention also, And the last time I saw her, she was she was like Michael, and I was like, yes, I just rolled with it so hard, and she was talking out a time when I was a little kid and I had the blondest hair and a great Dane was licking my hair and it was so funny, and so I just was like that was the best. Oh my god, I remember that so much that I left and then I asked my dad. I was like who's Michael. He's like, there's no Michaels. I was like, who had a Great Dane growing up? And he's like, I can't remember ever having a great Dane anybody extended family. But our interaction for thirty five minutes, she's just tears and her eyes laughing about somebody that looked like a miniature version of me in the eighties. I guess, just getting licked on the head by a great Dane and it drove her wild.
Speaker 2: I like that your impulse was to like just yes, and it because of apparently like that is a good thing to do, because it doesn't upset them, you know, like it allows them to just like and then sometimes through the telling of it, they'll be able to be like, wait, that wasn't you know, Like it comes in to focus but correcting, and you can often upset them. I guess, yeah, totally.
Speaker 3: Yeah, which if you put yourself in that position, like it would be upsetting too to have somebody like that didn't happen, and you're like, I for sure no, Like of course in the moment, they feel like this is absolutely true.
Speaker 5: So that is something I had to get used to. Also.
Speaker 3: In the beginning, it was just like, oh, it's actually less harmful to just go with this then to keep trying to correct and it's like it's a weird thing to navigate for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah. You know.
Speaker 2: My first impulse, of course, on that joke is at the end of the show, getting my impulses to go to the audience with it and say, like, somehow led it up to the fact that you ask them to tell you as as a group that I love you, and then after they say I love you, just go, oh, well that's nice, and then.
Speaker 3: Oh, my god, that would be great.
Speaker 2: Do you want to hear about this crocodile?
Speaker 5: Okay?
Speaker 2: Yes, oh yeah, we have that. Okay, So this is from the Economic Times. A lot of people sent this in when I settled alarm. Every morning, I say what does the Economic Times have to say about this issue? And turns out they say a lot. This is not written by anyone, because the Economic Times, I'm not sure is a real newspaper. No, here it is. A new video making waves online suggest that crocodiles may be using a clever trick to capture prey. The clip, narrated with a British accent, picks a crocodile appearing to fake drownding in order to attract unsuspecting humans into the water. While at first glance, this idea may seem far fetch the possibility of this behavior as captured attention. Could crocodiles be smart enough to lure tourist into their jaws The crocodile drowning trap in the video of the narrator humans really just I mean, like this is just a fucking This is a newspaper article about a viral video in sight of what seems like a human like figure. So it's essentially they just they put they go upside down, so their little stumpy hand is just one's hand is sticking out of the water and then they just wave it back and forth like they're drowning, and then slowly get like it looks exactly like they have five fingers, and from afar it looks like like a child's hand or something like that. You would if you like looked at it and saw it like jump in. So basically this is a very long article. Okay, So while this idea of fake drowning is speculative, crocodiles are known to use other clever tactics to capture prey. For instance, some crocodiles have been observed placing sticks on their heads to attract birds, birds which then become their meal. That's interesting. That's kind of like trying to catch like quarters from your elbow, you know, to try a bird who's on your head. New research has also shown that allegais and crocodiles can use small sticks to lure birds. Well, they just repeated themselves. Okay, it happens times economic times. No, I mean, they have been around since the time of dinosaurs, so they've figured out how to eat a little bit. But yeah, but anyway, that's what they're doing in Indonesia right now. That's what's in with the crocodiles.
Speaker 3: Now have we heard of this happening anywhere else they have any other crocodiles?
Speaker 2: You know, the economic times, I'm gonna tell you they shit on it a little bit. They're like, I don't know if this is real. Yeah, I think a lot of the other articles I could have chosen from where they investigated it with a little more scientific rigor about whether or not this could be true. Yea, I've never been to Indonesia, but I went to I went to Cambodia, when I was in my twenties, my early twenties, it was it was real. It's like it's a fascinating like the there's thousands, there's thousands, like those hundreds. There's so many people there and none of them are American. It's crazy walking around.
Speaker 1: That's fucking crazy, you guys.
Speaker 2: But the structures and all of the temples that are in the jungle there that you can go and it's all the National Park, you know, you can go to. It's like mind breaking how many hundreds of them there are, and they're gantic. But I was in my twenties. So we did that one day, and then the next day I was like, I'm gonna buy weed. I was like twenty three. Of course, somebody like Cambodia. So I go and I find a guy and i'd like read in a book of how to buy weed in Cambodia, because this was before the Internet, or I guess the internet just started. And I find a guy and he's on a moped and we go. I get on his moped and he like drives me around a corner, very safe environment, and then he like gets out and he gives me. I give him money, he gives me like, I don't know, it looks like a collection of tiny sticks, and I'm like all right, and I like, go back. And then I look at it and it doesn't smell like weed.
Speaker 1: It doesn't look like weed.
Speaker 2: It's just like something, you know. Yeah, but of course I'm down to try.
Speaker 1: And I didn't throw that in the trash.
Speaker 2: I did not throw that into the trash, and so we're good. There's a big issue with and so I tried smoking it that night and nothing happened. I was like, this is probably bunk, but it didn't stop me from doing it again the next day, being like, maybe it's the second time. I'll try to if I just believe.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I believe in myself.
Speaker 2: And Cambodia has a huge problem in the fact that the camer Rouge buried all of these mines that had been detected, and Americans buried mines during the Vietnam War, right, so both sides were burying mines and like, I don't know, ten percent of them at that time had been discovered, and they would take people's legs off and arms off all the time. So they had a real problem with blood supply. And Cambodia and we're like learning all about this, and I'm like, I'm going to give blood, you know. And so I go into a clinic to give blood. And my girlfriend at the time we'd been dating since college college girlfriend, and she like was doing something else and then I was like, oh, I'm gonna go do this, and then she was like what And then she sat down and I went in and then I'm there and I had smoked the weed before I went and was sitting down and like they literally put the and this is like a clinic. It's just like a room. There's no there's like one plastic chair that I'm sitting in. It's in the middle of the jungle, you know. Yeah, and so I get it. But everything looked pretty like, you know, from a twenty three year old's perspective, like, well, it looks pretty gleed. And so they put the needle in and I start giving blood, and you know, you have to wait there for quite some time for all the blood to come out, you know, and then my girlfriend, who had been sitting in the waiting room just had it like I don't know what happened, but she bursts in and she's just like crying and she's like don't do it. And I was just like, I'm already doing it. And then and then I was like, it's okay, don't worry, I'll beat you out. And then she was scrying. She left, and then right then this the weed like took that moment to come out in the weirdest way where I just got incredibly paranoid. So that, oh, like the forty five minutes that I had to give blood in this like one room on a plastic chair, I was.
Speaker 1: Just like, did I just kill my son?
Speaker 5: Oh my?
Speaker 2: And guess what, guys, I did it. And it was totally fun. There you are and you should not be worried. I was right in my brashness of a twenty three year old. Just give blood when you're in Cambodia, give blood. Okay, good for you, I know.
Speaker 1: And if you want to get blood, we've gamified it. You can join the Bana Animals. We are currently ranked two hundred and eighty seventh out of sixty nine eight hundred teams ban Animals.
Speaker 2: We're now thirty seventh.
Speaker 1: We are to eighty seven.
Speaker 2: That's up from seven to thirty two thousand. We were seven thirty two last episode.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're we're getting way better. We're pumping out units. But we are currently between Drexel University, who can suck our butts, and Starbucks, who could really suck our butts.
Speaker 2: Starbucks above us, are below us.
Speaker 1: It is one above us. They're to eighty six, Drexels to eighty eight. So ban animals feel free. You get the app, you go to the American Red Cross Blood, don't wrapp join the ban animals and start pumping out blood.
Speaker 2: All right, let's beat.
Speaker 5: Let's beat star Verb.
Speaker 1: Not on drugs and sitting on a plastic chair in the woods or whatever. That would be so good.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Also, I don't know if you can even give blood when you're high. I mean, like, is that even allowed? Does it affect your blood? I have no idea. Did I give them tainted blood? It's like, oh man, there's a lot of sticks smoking here because it just sticks. I was smoking.
Speaker 5: Sticks were just a law around people's stress. I love it.
Speaker 1: Georgia Marie Grove sent this in. If you want to send in a story Bananimals, the Bananas Podcast on Instagram or The Bananas Podcast at gmail dot com. Send your stories, send your thumbs ups. We'll take care of the rest. This was on BBC dot Com, written by Tessa Wong. Tessa Wong is good at this shit. She is the best in the business. Bride's fury after Instagram's stunt wedding turned out to be a real one that sounds fun.
Speaker 2: I don't even understand it.
Speaker 5: I mean please okay, and I hate it.
Speaker 1: A woman in Australia has annulled her marriage after realizing that a fake wedding ceremony she took part in for social media stunt was in fact a real wedding. What the unknowing bride said Her partner was a social media influencer. Always a great choice, always a.
Speaker 5: Good choice, absolutely good people.
Speaker 1: What did go wrong? What you want to do is document your relationship and your private life as much as possible and just put it out there so when that breakup comes you look like an idiot. The unknowing bride said that her partner was social media influencer who convinced her to take partner ceremony as a prank for his Instagram account. She only recently discovered the marriage was genuine and when when he tried to use it to gain permanent residency in Australia. What we had a motive. So not only did he lie, he like really lied.
Speaker 2: How much?
Speaker 5: How many motherfucker.
Speaker 2: What how many actual followers does he have? Let's see what's his what's his let me.
Speaker 1: See what his handle is, because I don't even know if they mentioned You might have to just google it on Google dot com, Kurt, I'll use Google dot cot. It's a website just being Google, and then click on Google link and then there's a search bar and then you put in Instagram's stunt wedding turns out to be real one. Okay, okay. The bizarre case began in September twenty two three, when the woman met her partner on an online dating platform. They began seeing each other regularly in Melbourne, where they lived at the time, in December that year. So I'm running the numbers over here.
Speaker 2: Four months later, four months later, okay, and so they were actually dating.
Speaker 1: They were dating, Okay, okay. In December that year, the woman proposed to the woman. She accepted. It might be a little quick, you know. Two days later, the woman attended an event with the man in Sydney. She was told it would be a white party where attendees would wear white colored clothing and was told to pack a white dress, but when she arrived, she was shocked and furious. She was finally she was pranked to find no other guest president except her partner, photographer, the photographer's friend, and a celebrant. According to her deposition that's been quoted in court documents. So when I got there, I didn't see anybody in white. I asked him what's happening, and he pulled me aside and he told me that he's organizing a prank wedding for social media, to be precise, his Instagram, because he wants to boost his content and wants to start monetizing his Instagram page.
Speaker 2: Okay, so he's not monetizing this is this is his plan not only to make money, but also become an Australian citizen. He really thought he had it all, he had all wrapped up wild.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is a creepy dude, And like, you know, we don't know these people. But that seems like the point where that woman should have said, I think we should break up. It's only been four months. Talking about is insane. But what do I know? Maybe he's a great genre who I don't know, she said. She had accepted his explanation as he was a social media person who had more than seventeen thousand followers on Instagram.
Speaker 5: Oh that's it.
Speaker 2: Oh man, that's nothing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's impressive in two thousand and six maybe, but's twenty five seventeen thousand. There's totstools online that have more followers than that.
Speaker 3: Okay, influencer is being used very loosely here, there's what are we influencing?
Speaker 1: That's right. Next time I have to give a speech and I don't even have an Instagram outside the Banana's account, I'm gonna be like, I'm Scotty Landis I'm a micro influencer. Yes, I have less than fifteen thousand followers.
Speaker 2: That's what. Actually, my friend, our friends opened a bread shop in La called Breadhead. It's in Venice.
Speaker 1: Should go, it's so much great name.
Speaker 2: Breadhead's a good name.
Speaker 1: Shout out Michael.
Speaker 2: But he was saying. He was saying, he's like, the thing is that's hard about starting is like you get contact by all these micro influencers. And I was like, what are micro influencers? He's like, there're people with no followers who want free food.
Speaker 3: Oh my, yeah, it's such an oxymoron micro influence.
Speaker 5: It's like the word influencer is.
Speaker 3: Based on that you have a lot of followers, can be small.
Speaker 2: I have a micro actually have a micro influence over two small children that live in my house, and so they will be really into it if I tell them too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they eat for free all the time. Okay. So she also believed that a civil marriage would only be valid if it had been held in a courthouse. Still, she remained concerned. The woman rang a friend and voiced her worries, but the friend laughed it off and said it would be fine because if it were real, they would have had to file a notice of intending marriage first. Didn't know that educational podcast, which they had not done, reassured. The woman went through the ceremony where she and her partner exchange wedding vows and kissed in front of a camera. She said she was happy to play a long and make it seem real. Two months later, her partner asked her to add him both as a dependent on her application for permanent residency in Australia. Both of them are foreigners. When she told him that she could not as they were technically not married, he then revealed that their sitting wedding Sydney wedding ceremony had been genuine according to the woman's testimony.
Speaker 2: But I don't understand, like I know how it works in America, maybe it's a little different in Australia. You have to sign a paper, you have to sign a paper to say you're you're married. Did she I mean, like when she was signing that paper.
Speaker 1: She did not sign it? So great segue CURTI. Okay, here's the next paragraph. The woman found their marriage certificate and discovered a notice of intended marriage which had not been filed the month before their Sydney trip, before they even got engaged, which she said she did not sign. According to the court documents, the signature on the notice bears little resemblance to the woman.
Speaker 3: So no, he.
Speaker 2: Ew, which makes me.
Speaker 1: Think of that movie Catch Me if you Can, which also I've found out recently even that story's fake. Like that guy, yeah, no, whole thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So his greatest scam is he actually convinced people to believe that story of him being a scam fake check writer is fake. So the movie is based on the fake book of a fake story.
Speaker 2: Which is actually pretty great.
Speaker 1: Amazing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, like he never worked for the FBI. But also that movie is like a perfectly made movie.
Speaker 1: I watch that.
Speaker 2: I enjoy that movie.
Speaker 1: Steve Spielberg, Leo Decapp, T Hanks, How are those three going to f it up? But it is funny because like that era of writing bad checks, just forging. All you have to do is have a convincing signature. It's just so crazy. I know everybody wasn't doing it. I would have done. Everybody's just constantly writing fake checks. It seems like a very easy crime to get away with. And then you just leave town.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then they don't have any way of finding you if you simply leave the town.
Speaker 3: What a time to be alive when this time God's so good anonymous everything.
Speaker 1: The woman said, I am furious with the fact that I didn't know that this was a real marriage, and the fact that he also lied to me from the beginning, and the fact he also wanted me to add him to my application, she said. In his deposition, the man claimed they had both agreed to these circumstances, and at following the proposal, the woman had agreed to marry him at an intimate ceremony in Sydney, four people. The judge ruled that the woman was mistaken about the nature of the ceremony performed, it did not provide real consent or participation to the marriage, and he stated in the judgment that the marriage could be annulled. And it was October twenty twenty four.
Speaker 2: Yay.
Speaker 3: Crazy though, So I'm so confused because they were engaged.
Speaker 1: Correct, I think so? Yeah, they were engaged.
Speaker 3: So it's like, why all the smoke and mirror, Like, why not just be like, how would you feel about a quick wedding?
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I feel like this lady if she was willing to say yes to get in engaged within four months, she probably would have put up too much of a fight on like hobving a wedding shortly after. But when you're fucking dupener, then everybody's like, well, what the hell is this? Let me invite my family for Christ's sake, Like you know what I mean, don't.
Speaker 1: Do better prank if the whole family shows up too, by the way, yeah, you're gonna get more likes if the family's there and it's a fake wedding. Yeah, I don't know, don't do.
Speaker 2: It is it's also just such a like, I don't know, it's such a weird, such a dude way of doing it. It's just like, I'm not going to just talk about it. I'm going to create a ruse, and my ruse will be successful because I'll control it.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I smell personality disorder. I mean, there's something obviously deeply wrong with this. This is insane behavior. This is like baby reindeer shit, you know what I mean, Like, something's weird here.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've been watching that HBO Max show, An Update on Our Family. I think it's called, Yeah, an Update on Our Family. It's like a documentary about a family that are life vloggers or whatever. And then they're going to adopt a kid from China, and then they do, and then things go sideways and it is peak hate love.
Speaker 2: They give back, they give their baby back spoilers. Oh yeah, they adopt a baby and they're like, we're adopting an autistic baby from China, and they make a whole big deal about it. And then after one year they're like, and we're and then all of a sudden, the baby just is no longer in their social It's.
Speaker 3: So oh my god, and after a yeah, yeah, yeah, every part of it.
Speaker 1: It's pretty fascinating. It's pretty. But then I'm somebody, so I'm watching content about people who watch content, about people who make content, and so I'm no better. I'm it's just like two mirrors on. It's like a Mormon wedding. I'm just going into infinity.
Speaker 2: I'm watching. I'm actually watching this documentary called Scotty watches this documentary and it's just a camera that I've set up. It's got he's living room. While he watches that.
Speaker 1: Documentary, we're getting really close to KURTI b teas us into some thumbs ups.
Speaker 5: I got that.
Speaker 1: Let's see.
Speaker 2: Oh, this is an update on the ladies Lounge. Do you remember the Lady's Lounge?
Speaker 1: Scottie, tell me about that lady's lounge.
Speaker 2: This was a lady's lounge in Tasmania where it is it was, Yeah, so women women's only club. It was part of an art exhibit art exhibit, and then a guy sued them because he's like, that's discrimination, and so then they moved the exhibit into the ladies room. Uh, and to like to fuck with him. But now they've won their Supreme Court case in Australia. So now the Lady's Lounge is back and it's an update on she made it even better and better than ever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that is I can't wait some thumbs ups. So here's some thumbs up from our bananimal. Sam's is thumbing up her sister Lee or Leah. I think it's Leah introduced Sam's to bananas. It's so fun. They chat about the silliness that we bring into their lives. Sam's and Leah thumbs up. And if it's Lee, I'm so sorry. Tot's h dash G is thumbing up her husband, Griffin. They got married on November fifteenth, and Griffin is planning their entire honeymoon to Thailand. Any suggestions, Kelsey, have you ever been to Thailand?
Speaker 3: I have not been to Thailand. I do just hope that this wedding was consensual. After this last story, I'm a little nervous for everybody now.
Speaker 5: But no, I've never been to Thailand.
Speaker 2: I do have a recommendation. I really liked the island this and of course I went. I think in My brother is a dupt diplomat, so I've been to Thailand twice because he was in station in Bangkok.
Speaker 1: Twice.
Speaker 2: But Colanta, which is a small island that at least when I went again I was in my twenties, was not as built up as all the other islands, and you could like kind of stay on the beach for like eight bucks, and it was a beautiful little house and get and that includes your dinner, and your dinner was like just fresh fish out of the ocean. So I would go and look at Colanta. Not a lot of people go to Colanta, or at least that was the case back then, but things changed so quickly, So don't judge me if I'm wrong.
Speaker 1: That's true. Uh, Leila faken it might be Lilah. I think it's Leela fake In wants to thumb up her wife Jenny. After forty years of living in the United States, she has finally become a citizen and right on time, right on time for the.
Speaker 2: Decline of America.
Speaker 1: Welcome, Welcome, They were so glad to have you.
Speaker 2: Enjoy it for the next couple of months.
Speaker 1: Uh just yeah, have a really fun two or three months. It's a super scary time out there for the lbgt Q I A plus people United States. Oh thanks Banana boys for keeping us laughing. In spite of it. You are welcome. Everybody is welcome here on this podcast. We love everybody. And how about this one? Last, but not least, Mikey Kelly wants the thumb up. Mikey Kelly. He says, I passed my board exam this morning. I'm an official licensed social worker providing therapy to queer youth in rural upstate New York. Thumbs up to you, mikens A thing to do and that's what I got.
Speaker 2: Wonderful to you. Of course, we're here with them, wonderful and fantastic. Kelsey Cook Christana Special Mark Your Territory is out to day on Hulu and on YouTube, and her podcast Pretend Problems with Chad Daniels Her with her co host Chad Daniels, is available everywhere. Tell us about the podcast, Kelsey.
Speaker 5: Yes, my cat's tails like, actually.
Speaker 2: It's a delightfully furry cat.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I just bring an essence of white trash. Every podcast was just like, oh, that's crawling on me.
Speaker 2: Was that your cat that you brought into the house?
Speaker 5: Yees?
Speaker 3: So I brought I brought the two cats, and he brought the Golden doodle and it was chaos for about a year.
Speaker 2: Was everybody pissing everywhere and.
Speaker 5: Everybody hated everybody.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we would just find a corner and look over our shoulders. I mean, my cats are a little older. They had never met a dog before, and this is like a fifty pound golden doodle. So the first time they met the dog, you could just tell that, like they thought he was a dragon.
Speaker 5: They were like, what in the this is it? This is how we die?
Speaker 1: Here we go.
Speaker 3: But they all get along now. So pretend problems. My podcast with Chad, we we talk about typically like if we got into an argument that week, we like to decide whether our arguments are pretend problems or real problems. Most of the time just pretend problems, you know. But it's been like kind of a fun, weird version of couple's therapy for us to take something that maybe in the moment we were genuinely annoyed with each other about, and then you talk about it on the podcast, and because we're both comics, like you inherently want want to add some level of humor to it, and then we end up laughing about it. We end up having people write in and be like, oh my god, my husband and I we just went through this, and here's.
Speaker 5: How we dealt with it. So we like to talk about stuff like that.
Speaker 3: And then we read listener emails and give advice for couples or just you know, anybody going through anything and just try to like help them the best we can. And it's been great. We really love doing it.
Speaker 2: Oh that's awesome. Also, what I think find interesting when you talk about because a couple problems a public leap, and how many people have the exact same shoes. It's like a fascinated My wife and I had a podcast for a little while that I never talked about it. It was on Audible and I think it's it still exists, called wedlock right after we first got married about getting married, and it's really cool. You should everybody should go listen to. It was like very highly produced, there's only six episodes, but we would talk about problems in our relationship and then we would immediately get like all of this influx of people being like this is my problem.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 2: It's just like, yeah, we're all the same, we're all dumb animals.
Speaker 3: We're all dumb animals. We just yeah, it's helpful to talk about it though.
Speaker 5: So it's not.
Speaker 3: You don't get so zoomed in that you make it a bigger thing.
Speaker 2: Feel alone, I think when you don't talk about it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's just it's like brought a lot of oxygen to our relationship that just kind of diffuses things a lot more quickly rather than having things build up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well that's awesome.
Speaker 1: Both think that part of being a stand up comedian is being more aware or even hyper aware compared to the average Joe Mulch and Jane Casserole. Do you think it's about being more self aware or more hyper aware of the world or not at all?
Speaker 2: Kelsey, I'll let you go first.
Speaker 3: I think both, But I think it also depends on.
Speaker 5: The type of material.
Speaker 3: Sure, you do, but I suppose even people who are like just one liner comics are making a lot of observations and pulling from stuff that they're aware of. But I think, especially if you are more like story based, you do have to become more aware of your day to day and how you're feeling and what's going on, because that's the quickest, easiest way I think to come up with new material is to just be like, oh fuck, yeah, I just had this weird interaction like why don't I write that down? That's it's so easy for if somebody's not a comic to just go, oh, that was weird, and then you never think about it again.
Speaker 5: But we have to kind of put a pin in it and go, there's probably something here.
Speaker 2: And that's what I would I would even encourage because I can honestly find when I go, like, if i am working on a different type of project and I'm not like writing a whole bunch of stand up or from like in the middle of a movie or a TV show, and I'm not working that part of my brain, it starts to atrophy. And then the moment I'm like all right, I'm back in like we got to start writing some stand up and I just start to start taking little notes throughout the day. The amount of stuff that all of a sudden like jumps out of from life that is available to you is like fascinating, and I think it's actually a really cool thing if you just for people who aren't performers, who aren't stand ups. Anytime, like some little thing that you notice or you think or you say, like that was weird or that was funny, write it down, Because I do think it actually just gives you not only more of appreciation for life, but more of an understanding of like yourself and of other people as well.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, I think the podcast with Chad has also been helpful for that too, because we have to look back on our week and be like, Okay, what happened this week that we can talk about. Yeah, and we had Yeah, we have had a fight about. He's like a very huge Vikings fan and gets like into that weird sports superstition stuff he bets. It's like feels very high stakes and I don't really understand what's going on, and so I like he feels like I JINXD one of these games you did, which to me is.
Speaker 5: Like such psychosis.
Speaker 3: I think that like me preemptively being like looks good, it actually impacts the outcome of the game, and so we like sincerely in the moment, he was like pretty annoyed at me, and I was like, you have to be kidding me that you think that I have that sort of power to change it. And then we talked about on the podcast and I didn't even think about it again for another like three months. I just now started to talk about it on stage, and it's become like the thing I'm most excited to do now, and it's been like connected. You can see a lot of couples who clearly have dealt with the same thing. But it's exactly what you're saying. Unless I'm like, oh, what happened? That is sharing That could have just gone into the abyss and I would never thought about it.
Speaker 2: Again, and then it's just an like that's what I kind of like about making stand up about it, because it could have just been an annoying conversation that happened once, but instead it makes money evil.
Speaker 1: It's true. I have a few sports obsess fans, and what I like to do is I like to see what the score of whatever team they're cheering for, and if they're up, if they're up by fourteen points, you know, safe, but not too safe. I always send them a text that says like, so, if I was friends with your boyfriend and Vikings were leading in the fourth quarter, I would text him there's no way the Vikings and YEA like block me. Like my friend Danny was like, I fucking hate you just for texting there's no way this team will lose the game, and he was like, are you serious? Right now. And I'm like, if you think this text message from somebody who's just trolling you the lightest way possible, And he like, he blocked me. And then he's like, I unblocked you recently because I want to ask you something. I'm like, that's fine, I.
Speaker 5: Need something from you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I need you to read a script for me.
Speaker 3: Okay, well, And I feel like typically the men who are the most superstitious can also fall into the category of men who are very anti woo woo thing. You know, probably don't have like a vision board or like believe in functuy, but like the second it involves sports and money, they're the most like crystal bitches you've ever met, like that happening right now?
Speaker 5: They just like.
Speaker 1: I like that a lot, true, pretty be? Did you have a story on that one?
Speaker 5: Sure?
Speaker 2: Dad?
Speaker 3: Here it is.
Speaker 2: This was sent him by Gabrielle Acoustra. Thank you, Gabrielle. You can send you can dm us your strain news at the Bananas Podcast on Instagram or the Bananas Podcast at gmail dot com. We try and respond to every single dm we get, not necessarily to emails.
Speaker 1: Here we go.
Speaker 2: This was on artnet.
Speaker 1: You this before I think so that's a real website.
Speaker 2: It was written by Brian Boucher. Hey, Brian, Brian Boucher.
Speaker 1: Ooh, best in the bees wax.
Speaker 2: Best in the boosh Brian Boucher. Viral women only artwork returns to view after Supreme Court win, one of the most viral artworks of twenty twenty four. Well, we'll return to its Tasmanian home, maybe in Australia following a short period of being bathballed after losing a discrimination court case.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 2: Artist Kersha Ktchelli's Ladies Lounge, which captivated audiences made headlines all over the globe, is going back on view at the Museum of Old and New Art in Tasmania, just in time for the holidays. The performance in installation work consists of a luxe parlor where men exist only to serve the needs of women as they lounge, snack on cannabase and zip champagne, all as a playful commentary on a long history of discrimination. In the other direction, precious artworks hang on the walls, including supposedly priceless picassos from the artist's grandmother's collection, later de Ville later revealed as fakes created just for the installation even better, Yes, great. It was on uncontroversial view since twenty twenty At the museum, founded by Coccelli's husband, David Walsh, she refers to herself as the institution's first Lady until March twenty twenty four, when one Jason Lao of New South Wales took issue and.
Speaker 6: Finally discrimination complaint with the local Anti discrimination commissioner at the Tasmanian. I know it's such a what a the smallest man.
Speaker 2: In the mayl went to the museum judge like that would be a good children's book, Like the tiniest man goes into a museum.
Speaker 1: Campaign.
Speaker 2: A judge decided against the museum and the artist. In April, so a judge decided against the museum, which is crazy, ruling that the lounge must admit men or close. They appealed to the Supreme Court of Tasmania. While awaiting the High Court's decision, Cacelli slyly exploited a clause in the lower court's judgment that said men could reasonably be excluded from a ladies restroom, temporarily moving the picassos and other artifacts into a women's bathroom, but ultimately the Supreme Court decided in favor of the artist in September, writing in his judgment that the work gave women a rare glimpse of what it is like to be advantaged. According to press materials, entry for ladies and exclusion for men is included as part of the museum entry ticket Welcome Back Ladies Silli in a press materials through the court case of the Ladies Lounge of transcended the Art Museum come to life. People from Oh this is great if you can't make it to Tasmani, but one who experience the scent of victory, this is smart. You're in luck. Chilly is also releasing a commemorative limited edition Fragrance dubbed the Verdict with the punting tagline for the Lady who appeals. Many men who are just dying to experience the lounge can apply via the museum's app the oh to be one of the servants?
Speaker 5: Are you guys going to be a servant?
Speaker 2: I mean, if we ever, we want to tour Australia so badly, and it would be so awesome to conclude that Tasmani is wonderful.
Speaker 1: Yes, I don't want to work there. I just just leave from everybody alone. Just leave the women alone, leave dudes alone, everybody, just leave each other alone for fucking an hour. I mean, it's crazy that this guy had everybody just leave each other alone. It's so easy to leave other people alone and just to let them have a thing. It's oh god, I Ben, It's like the guy that sued Hooters so he could wait tables there. You're like, you're a fucking idiot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that whole idea of it's so easy. I've been trying to work on a new bit, which is having children gives you the the ability to forgive your parents, but the unwillingness to do so, because like as when you become a parent, you then see how very hard it is, right and you can kind of have empathy for someone who's just like, I'm just gonna walk away from it all into the ocean. But also every time you do something that your parent didn't do for you, you're like, was that so hard? Was that so hard? Guess what, dad? Today I didn't fuck my secretary and it wasn't hard at all.
Speaker 1: How hard that, dad?
Speaker 5: Oh, that's so funny.
Speaker 2: I love that what I've already done it once, I've only done it once. I'm gonna try it out again tonight.
Speaker 5: No, that's so smart. I don't have kids, but I love it.
Speaker 3: Would I would imagine that will resonate with every every parent.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's a good title for an upcoming special. Was that so hard? Is a very easy, simple.
Speaker 3: Hard?
Speaker 5: Write it down. That's a really good one.
Speaker 1: Speaking of bananimals, you gotta watch Kelsey special mark your territory. It is on Hulu. That's real. It's on YouTube that's also real. And like Lee comments, say that you heard her on bananas and so she knows that we're not just two guys who are fake pretending to record this right now. I don't know a prank wedding or something.
Speaker 2: She is so kind, she agreed to do this podcast. She has no idea who the two of us are. And we thank you so much Kelsey for coming.
Speaker 5: That is not true.
Speaker 3: Of course, I've known you and your stand up. I'm a big fan of your stand up, Scottie. I did not know you apologize.
Speaker 1: Nobody. Nobody knows the writers. We're just the slugs behind the scenes. Kelsey plug Away. Where can they find you on social media? Where websites that kind of crap.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you can follow me on social media at Kelsey Cook Comedy. You can get my tour tickets for my tour right now at Kelseycook dot com.
Speaker 5: And yeah, go watch go.
Speaker 3: Watch Mark your territory. My special The Hustler is also on YouTube and Hulu, So if you want to, if you want to binge, go for it.
Speaker 5: I would love it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, double decker why not watch?
Speaker 3: That's my hope is that you double decker mates today.
Speaker 1: Double Kelsey Cook. That's what you gotta do. You gotta double decker. Yes, oh god, thanks for being Bananas.
Speaker 5: Thank you for having me you guys uh Nanas.
Speaker 1: Bananas is an exactly right media production.
Speaker 2: Our producer and engineer is Katie Levine.
Speaker 1: The catchy Bananas theme song was composed and performed by Kahon.
Speaker 2: Artwork for Bananas was designed by Travis Millard.
Speaker 1: And our benevolent overlords are the Great Karen Kilgareff and Georgia Hartstar
Speaker 2: And Lisa Maggott is our full human, not a robot intern