Speaker 1: Cool Zone Media.
Speaker 2: Hello, and welcome to Cool People Who Did Cool Stuff. You're a weekly reminder that when there's bad things happening, there's people trying to do good things. I'm your host, Margaret Kiljoy, and this is a rerun week. Everyone loves a rerun week. It's when I get to take a short break and run a rerun instead of doing another episode in the endless march of podcast production, which is endless anyway. I'm recording this on the fourth of July. And I am not a particularly patriotic person in general and in particular for the slave empire called the United States of America, and so I don't have a lot of stories that specifically talk about the ways in which It's something that's come up again and again on this show is the ways in which the American Revolution was honestly kind of a counter revolution. And so I'm going to tell a story, or rather rerun a story called the Battle of Negro Fort about Florida's Maroon community, and it is a story that gets into a little bit about the black loyalists. They're called the people who took the UK up on its offer, Britain up on its offer to fight for Britain in the American Revolution in order to gain their freedom and some of the things that those people then went on to do. So I hope you like the story and I'll be back next week with an episode that's probably not a rerun.
Speaker 1: Cool Zone Media, Hello, and welcome to Cool People Did Cool Stuff Podcast About the Stuff.
Speaker 2: I'm your host, Margaret Kiljoy, and with me today as my guest, is the host of every podcast, the Queen of Tube shaped Food, Jamie Loftus.
Speaker 3: I couldn't ask for a better introduction. It makes me sound so busy.
Speaker 1: And you're executive producing a new show as well, aren't you, Jamie.
Speaker 3: It's true. I'm trying to do an impression of Sophie and producing We the Unhoused that just launched on iHeart as well. It existed before, but now it's relaunching on iHeart. You should check it out.
Speaker 2: Well what's it about?
Speaker 3: Well it is, Thank you for asking bye it We the end Housed is a show that was originally created and is still written and hosted by Theo Henderson formally Unhoused person in la. He began the show back in twenty nineteen as a way to show the issues that unhouse people in LA face from the perspective of unhoused people and took a year off and is now relaunching the show with iHeart. So our first episode is out now and covers Theo's experience being unhoused as well as just sort of talking about the show and interviewing someone who is a part of the reclaiming house initiatives in LA where unhoused people or low income people are reclaiming empty units in buildings that the city is just leaving empty for no reason. And then we have a new episode coming up that is all about the Unhoused Day of Remembrance that happens towards the end of the year where people who past who are unhoused and haven't gotten a proper memorial are given that memorial within their communities. So that's the show. It's been really really fun to work on and Theo's the best.
Speaker 2: I suspect that if you like this podcast, you will like that podcast.
Speaker 3: Can almost guarantee it, yes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And if you don't, you should feel guilty about.
Speaker 3: You should really ask yourself, why, yeah, is it that you don't like me? Specifically, it might be that you don't like you won't hear my voice on Meet the House, so it's okay, okay, Well maybe I'll listen to it though, Yeah, check it out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's really funny. Well, Sophie Licktman is our producer.
Speaker 3: That's me.
Speaker 2: That's that's me.
Speaker 1: I am the producer, the only producer except that one, except that one time that Jamie takes my face.
Speaker 3: That one happens from time to time, and we don't talk about it.
Speaker 2: No, like in I'm okay wait, I'm obsessed with the BBC version of Dracula that came out in twenty twenty, that's on that Flix.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, we've talked about this.
Speaker 2: Yes, did we talk about it on the on air before this? Damn it?
Speaker 3: Say more, say more, No, don't back down.
Speaker 2: Well, there's some there's some face wearing in that and I rewatched. I rewatched it already. I I'm so into it. It is like written for me. It was like anyway whatever, okay, okay. Also, our audio engineers Ian Hi Ian Hi ian Nyan. Our theme music was written for us by unwoman Jamie. Have you ever heard of a place called Florida?
Speaker 3: Yes? With yes, And I guess I'll just leave it at that, yes, and I've spent some time there myself.
Speaker 2: I never thought I'd be doing an episode about Florida history. Yeah yeah, people want to hear Church. Yeah yeah, it's.
Speaker 3: Just a little bit of my experience with Florida.
Speaker 2: Well, we're gonna talk about some more Florida history today. I never really expected that I would be doing any Florida history. No offense to some offense to the state of Florida. But don't worry. This story is set during the most riveting time period in American history, the time we all know and care so much about the war that everyone pays attention to in US history, the War of eighteen twelve.
Speaker 3: Oh, that is very Florida coated.
Speaker 2: For it is a Florida coated war. I see, you know more about the War of eighteen twelve than I did.
Speaker 3: Oh only because of Ghost Church. That was for I ended up learning one thousand times more because I think the only thing I do about the War of eighteen twelve is that it had most certainly happened and when then that was it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, it's hard to forget when the War of eighteen twelve happened.
Speaker 3: That is one of its main features.
Speaker 2: Yeah, although you'd think it was like neatly constrained by the year eighteen twelve, but that's not the case.
Speaker 3: No, it also the drama.
Speaker 2: It also went on after it ended.
Speaker 3: Yeah, didn't it keep going until like fourteen fifteen?
Speaker 2: Yeah, they like some way. Well, part of the problem, we'll talk about it later. But part of the problem is that they signed the agent to settle it. But this was decades before the Transcontinental Telegraph. Oh, so they kept fighting for months before word came that the war was over.
Speaker 3: Brutal, brutal Okay, very war again, very War of eighteen twelve coded.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and this is not a story. Don't worry, dear listeners, not a story about the War of eighteen twelve. Think of that as that as like the backdrop, like you're watching a period piece the romance.
Speaker 1: My working title for this for our dropbox folder is behind the War.
Speaker 2: Of eighteen twelve.
Speaker 3: Because I'm trash. Yeah, so I can't imagine that the War of eighteen twelve was the cool person who did cool things.
Speaker 2: I know, absolutely not. Although there are some surprise good guys in this story. I don't want to spoil it, but I'll give you a hint. Is the group of people that I am second least likely to ever call the good guys of an episode. Ooh well wait h it probably goes like Rhodesians and Nazis are number one, and then America or whatever. Okay, it's like the third or fourth least likely.
Speaker 3: Oh wait, I an American president. You're close.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, yeah, you're not that far off.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So this week's story is like a lot of our stories. The big basic gist of it is like every beautiful moment in history ever, a group of people found community and solidarity amidst the horror movie that is most of history. They set about to live their lives and were eventually destroyed by this or that empire. It's a story worth hearing again and again because all of our lives eventually end, and some of our lives have these great, beautiful moments of freedom. And that's accidentally the cool people formula. This is the story of a place called negro Fort. You ever heard of negro Fort?
Speaker 3: I have not.
Speaker 2: I hadn't either. Besides when I first heard about the story and added it to my list of one day I'm going to do this.
Speaker 3: Story, and day is now.
Speaker 2: This story is a funny mess of identities. It is mostly about black ex slaves, some born in the US, some born in Africa, some born in Spanish colony, living in a Spanish colony while wrapping the British flag and the red coat. That's our surprise. The hero of the story is the British Empire.
Speaker 3: We wow, that is number three, isn't it? That even comes before American president. Wow, that's that's a that's a difficult chafe. I'm in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, don't worry. A American president before he's president is the main antagonist. Okay, my favorite folk punk band used to be named after or the bad guy president.
Speaker 3: As I said to.
Speaker 1: You before, when you told me and that you were doing this, I was like, there's I thought the only good British person was James Stout and uh, you know, Honorey mentioned Jake Hanrahan.
Speaker 2: What is this so very exciting here?
Speaker 3: Yeah, James Madison. Now, I was like, that's not a bed.
Speaker 2: There's a band called AJJ that used to be called Andrew Jackson Jeehat and then they were like, oh, that's a bad name, and then they changed their name.
Speaker 3: It sure is. And that's also the name of an undert well, depending on who you an underrated Broadway musical Bloody, Bloody Andrew Jackson.
Speaker 2: Oh I haven't seen this, but I mean it has a better at least it knows that this man is.
Speaker 3: Bad, better than AJJ. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well we'll talk about all that later. So this story is also the story of a pattern we're going to see not in the show, but in history again and again, just one hundred years earlier than usual, because this is the story about the United States deciding that it is in its own best interests to go blow shit up in a foreign country without asking to defend the interests of wealthy, white supremacist Americans.
Speaker 3: Hmm, okay, it sounds like them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just the twentieth century, only it happened in the early nineteenth.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it's also the twenty first. I mean it's like they're not over it.
Speaker 2: No, yeah, that nothing's gonna it. Basically, we came out the gate. It wasn't even fifty years after we became like thirty years after we became a republic when they did this shit.
Speaker 3: Sorry, I'm just I've got my hand on my heart and I'm looking at my flag. Just I forgot it was an audio medium for a second.
Speaker 2: Well, don't worry. This is also a story that lets me do my favorite thing ever, which just talk shit on the American Revolution. Oh but because in order to talk about the War of eighteen twelve, being me, I have to say something about the revolution I wore. I've covered the rev Lutionary War a bunch of times on this show. Basically the lay of the rest. A lot of the propaganda we hear growing up in America the British Empire is really bad. All empires bad, British Empire among the worst. But in this case, England kind of managed to be more or less the lesser evil in the Revolutionary War, at least from the point of view of most black and Indigenous people in North America. One of the huge reasons for the War of Independence was because American settlers wanted to go west and steal more land from various indigenous nations, but the king didn't want to let them, so they throw a fit aka war.
Speaker 3: God, you can refer to every war as a little fit that someone is throwing to the detriment of millions, can't you, wow?
Speaker 2: Yeah, pretty much. Being a slave society is a huge military weakness, and this is something that doesn't come up enough. I think it has always been this case and it will always be the case. And it came up in the American Civil War. One of the many reasons of the South loss is because it had an economy based on sl When you have an economy based on slavery, you are sitting on a powder keg and you know it. And so now your primary motive is to make sure no one blows up this powder keg that you're sitting on top of, right, okay, because you can always have slaver volts and they will fuck you up, right. And when most of the people in your country aren't treated like people, it means most of the people in your country hate the fucking government. The British learned that during the Revolutionary War when they armed black and indigenous groups promising to free the black enslaved people from slavery and or get indigenous treaties respected. Britain famously lost the Revolutionary War. That's why it's called the Revolutionary War, yep.
Speaker 3: But it did name the word till after it ended, which I think was kind of fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what do you mean? Probably I wonder what the Firs.
Speaker 3: Are named after the outcome, not all of them. We're of eighteen.
Speaker 2: Twelve unclear, Yeah, well the worst northern gret never mind. In the end, it did work out. This deal that the Brits made did work out for the twenty thousand or so black men who fought for their freedom and were freed during the Revolutionary War by the British Empire. What does that have to do with Florida. Well, I'm glad I asked.
Speaker 3: Florida here, I'm here. I second that ask.
Speaker 2: Okay, great Florida spent most of its hit his history inhabited by indigenous people, but in fifteen thirteen the Spanish were like, oh, it's ours now, and they got the name from land of flowers, and it was kind of a forgotten colony for a while. Spain didn't really give a shit about Florida pretty much the entire time it had Florida maybe like right at the beginning, they were into it for a little while. Then we talked about this another time. You get the Seven Years War, which started in seventeen fifty six and then ran seven years, and this was World War zero two. European colonial powers were like, let's turn the entire world into a fucking battleground. Yeah, Florida. The end result for this is that the British got it. I'm actually curious when you were doing Ghost Church and you went to Florida and stuff you said you ended up learning a decent bit about Florida history. Is that because like, I feel like I don't learn about like Florida as like a previously Spanish controlled area much like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I granted all of this research was conducted nearly two years ago. Now, so grain of salt in what I recall off the top of my head. But yeah, when I was looking into this, I was researching this spiritualist camp in central Florida, and I wanted to because the spiritualist camp pulls from a lot of it is a majority white camp, that all of its architecture is different from a lot of what you see in central Florida. It looks like a New England town because it was it was sort of migrated from upstate New York. And in spiritualism, they pull really heavily from tropes surrounding American indigenous people, but seemed to have little to know contact with any indigenous community. And so I did some research into what that what the spiritualist community thought happened on the land they now live on, and then sort of contrasted that with what actually happened. And Yeah, I mean I think that it was a series of that I was not aware of, and I would be very curious because I didn't. I grew up in Massachusetts. I didn't have close contact with Florida. I'd be curious if Floridians grew up with this history at all. That there were a series of armed conflicts over the course of hundreds of years, and that the land in Florida was un you know, like undeveloped in the capitalistic sense for a really long time, and then it changed hands so many times in spite of not very much about the landscape changing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, see, Okay, So that actually brings up a really good point, which is that throughout the entire thing that we're going to be talking about, there's not a lot of people living in Florida. You know, this is not yet where old people go to die, right, and it's mostly actually under indigenous control through most of what we're going to talk about. But yeah, world War during World War zero, which no one calls it that except me. The Seven Years' War, Yeah, totally. The British get it. At the end of that war, It's part of their whole. You know. It was kind of a stalemate war and the British were like, all right, we're going to take this, and Spain actually paid to get almost all their people out of there, which I think this is now my conjecture is part of why there's not a ton of continuity like culturally or anything like that, is that most of the Spanish colonists were uh transported out when Britain took control. The brit split it into two colonies. You've got West Florida, which is the current day Panhandle, and then the southern trunk of a bunch of current days states west of it almost to New Orleans. And then you've got East Florida, which is the actual peninsula Florida we all know in.
Speaker 3: Love and love and love and love were absolute.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I almost feel bad, Like I feel like everyone makes now I hate Florida because of the fucking piece of shit fascist who hates everyone of marginalized identities who rules the place.
Speaker 3: But people live there, like marginalized people live there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, exactly, and like even the like the famous like Florida man thing. I am now completely speaking out of a headline I read a while ago, so like, but the famous like Florida man fights the drunk alligator while on crack or whatever. That whole thing I think comes to something to do with like a law where like newspapers are allowed to port more of that shit than like most states or something interesting.
Speaker 3: I didn't know that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then now everyone it is absolutely true and I totally am remembering this very clearly from an article I read a year ago.
Speaker 3: Mm hmm, well, I mean, yeah, I feel like that is like a very common and I've heard it with friends and just like people I follow who are from Florida, seems to be like a general complaint with the way that like it's it's whatever, one of the easiest states to dunk on. Yeah, but there are so many Like the reason that we hate all the fascist laws that exist there is because marginalized people live there and not exactly not talked about quite as frequently. And then occasionally you see a Florida Man headline and it gets you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and see, I would be very proud of that part of it.
Speaker 3: If I'm yeah, I'd be like, look at we're we're a sturdy people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, totally, we're not dead. No, So it's now a British colony, and Britain is like, look they're in there, like good guy, arc. I don't know entirely why. They're basically like, look, you all don't have to pay taxes. We just kind of want you to live there, and you don't have to pay taxes because you're not making any profit yet. Once you start making a profit, we'll revisit it, but for now, you're fine. Just do your thing. So basically the whole taxation without representation thing that the rest of the colonies did, Florida didn't give a shit. They were like, oh, no taxation, no representation, no problem. You know, we got none of it. It's fine whatever in us issue.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So they didn't join the rebellion against the British and the Revolutionary War, and by and large they were loyalists. Okay, well, by and large they were indigenous. Indigenous people outnumbered the British colonists by about three to one during the time of the Revolutionary War. Of those indigenous groups, most notably, you've got the Muscogee people, who are often called the Creek, which is a large and diverse group of different peoples who were formed in the Muscogee Creek Confederacy. And then you've got future friend of the pod, the Seminoles, who are more recent group of people basically a bunch of folks who really really didn't want to give up the land of white people and included a lot of black folk as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a lot of I mean, I guess, and that's coming off of this period of time. A lot of what I was looking at were the Seminole Wars.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, they come right, the first Seminole Wars like kind of the end of most of today's story. And actually the thing that we're going to talk about kind of kicks off the Seminole Wars.
Speaker 3: Ooh okay, cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, eventually I'm going to cover the Seminoles because they're fucking cool and interesting. Well, specifically, you know, the way in which they resisted US imperialism. Basically, their whole deal was like We're going to to the swamps and the deepest woods and fuck up anyone who tries to colonize us. So Florida, they backed the British during the Revolutionary War, but then during that war, the Spanish were like, what if Florida was ours again? So they just went ahead and took it, and Spain has Florida for the whole of the story we're talking about today. Okay, much like you, dear listener, also have available to you the entire story today, sweet sweet opportunities to buy objects and or services. I'm with you from the sponsors of today's show, who we all wholeheartedly agree with on every issue.
Speaker 3: I just got off a call with them.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, this show brought to you by big sponsor. Here's what a big sponsor has to say, and we're back. I hope you're enjoying those services and goods.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I've got I've got. Oh, this is kind of a fun experiment. Whatever you just heard advertise to you. I currently have underneath my table. Whatever it is, it's there and it feels great.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, I'm jealous because I didn't get to it in time.
Speaker 3: Mm hmm. But next it's a limited time offer.
Speaker 2: Next one I'm going to get. So okay, what's next on our context list for today's story? Slavery. I don't know if you knew this, but the founders of this nation were slavers.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've heard, I've I've heard about.
Speaker 2: It, yeah, or slave owners. Whatever I think owns people is enough to get you the title slaver in my book. Yeah, and a lot of them specifically did the buying and sell and people are still like, oh, slave owner, and I'm like whatever, fuck all these people are not even any redundant. Yeah, yeah, okay, But then there's weird nuance that is going to relate to today's story, not nuance that makes anyone involve a better person. To be clear, there's just a bunch of different types of white supremacists who are trying to run the country in the late eighteenth century during the Revolutionary warn't after it. Most of the Founding Fathers were this weird variety that actually, like later Southern Confederate types, disagreed with very actively because the Founding fathers, most of them are like a ton of them owned slaves and they were white supremacists, but they were interested in the gradual abolition of slavery because they wanted a white only society.
Speaker 3: Oh god.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they were like, we gotta kick every all the black people out of here.
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Yeah, new type of slavery just dropped.
Speaker 3: That's like a galaxy brain racist. That's okay, okay.
Speaker 2: But it's like it's instead of it being like a two, instead of it being like a more racist than the previous racist, it's like two orbiting stars of racism. You know. The galaxy is a binary system.
Speaker 3: What's clear is that no one is right and or anywhere close. God that is mind.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, even like George Washington and shit was one, even though he's like the famous horror movie teeth made out of the teeth ripped out of his enslaved people's faces. Even he was like kind of like, oh, slavery is like not the best, but really, I mean, obviously white people and black people put it together. So the Articles of Confederation, because we were confederacy for a while before we became a republic, didn't make any rules about slavery. That was up to the states. Overall, slavery was starting to go out of style in the entire Western world. The northern states started voting for abolition really early on. Pennsylvania didn't even wait till the war with England was over. They passed gradual abolition where all children were born free, no more enslaved people could be trafficked into the state, and a lot of the Northern abolitionists, it's like, not all of them were the type of white supremacist I was just talking about, but like that was among the reasons why people would argue for either at whatever.
Speaker 3: It's all messy, okay, Okay, Yeah, I mean it's like there's always tricky talking about Northern abolitionists because they feel like it just ends up like painting them with the very broad brush of like the good guys, when it's like there were so many absurd shades of gray, and then even if they were working in the right direction, it was often not for the right reason.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I'll just yeah, shit, absolutely for every John Brown. You have, all the people's names I don't remember because they're bad people.
Speaker 3: That's an other show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a good people's show, Yeah, exactly. The South, of course, was famously very into slavery. Even during the Confederation, Congress passed the Northwest Ordinance, which was like, no slavery north and west of the Ohio River. The Northwest Territories does not mean what we would call Northwest. It's like Ohio and fucking up into Minnesota and shit, and by the time people were writing the Constitution, most people wanted to end the transatlantic slave trade. So there was this like deal in the Constitution where it was like, all right, well, we're not gonna do it for twenty years at least, And it was basically all the northern states were like, fuck, if we don't like, if we don't allow for some slavery, the South isn't going to join the union because that tension was there since the very founding of the United States. The Constitution itself was going to mention slavery openly, but then it didn't because, as slave owner James Madison put it, it was wrong to quote it in the Constitution that there could be property in men. Basically, they are They all knew that. They were hypocrites who were like gonna burn in hell for all eternity because they preached about all men being created equal and that enslaving people. They all fucking knew it, and they all still fucking did it.
Speaker 3: I hate and yet we have a million boring ass movies and plays about how right they were to say what they said, And you never see the note session where James Madison is like, now, hold on, yeah, fellas. Yeah, I just noticed there's a bit of a chafe in one of these. Yeah, one of these, and so it's just a lie biomission. God.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And the Constitution authorized the federal government to suppress slave insurrections, and it also said that free states couldn't free runaways. These were like the concessions that they were making, right, The government wasn't allowed to ban the transatlantic slave trade for at least twenty years. The Constitution was bad enough that seventy years later, in eighteen fifty four, the abolitionist William Lloyd Garrison burned a copy of the Constitution and called it, quote a covenant with death and an agreement with hell woo. And I really just threw that in because I had a fucking sick line.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's really metals.
Speaker 2: Yeah. The nad As pro slavery founding fathers were the white supremacist They wanted the white Republic, and then they of course wanted to take all the land from the indigenous people. And whatever the reason I'm bringing all this shit up, Partly it's because I enjoy talking shit on the founding of the United States, but also because it's important to understand that slavery was already a divisive issue right from the start of this country. During the end of the eighteenth century, slavery in the western world was on a decline. The US South was fucking obsessed with buying and selling people, and they were kind of an outlier, and this, of course had disastrous consequences for everyone on the South's obsession with the expansion of slavery, the peculiar institution, including this had very negative influences on the heroes of this week's story. So, while slavery is starting to become a little bit less popular, over all, the Southern plantation slave society is growing and they're getting like more and more, like no, this is who we fucking are, right, It is like, we're so cool. The Louisiana Purchase of eighteen oh three, when the which is what's kind of in the name in the air eighteen o three, the United States purchase Louisiana. Yeah, it opened up a ton of land into the court of King Cotton, as it was called at the time. And so they were like, man, we're not allowed to do this up north. Where else can we go? And then they were like, oh, hey, Florida what's up? Can we can we show up there and be more of an evil empire?
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's Florida even like within the world of the South, feels like for hundreds of years has been its own thing in terms of conversation, Like, it's obviously very much a part of the South, but when you think of the South, Florida it's still at least to be feels like its own thing and has always been treated that way.
Speaker 2: And this like I finally understand why after learning more about the history of Florida, you know, because the rest of the South was like we're the South for like fucking hundreds of years, right, and then Florida was like there's a couple swamps here and some traders.
Speaker 3: Right, and then like that, the you know, industrial developed sense didn't develop an identity until far later than like most places did. And so it's just and that's why it was like a sitting duck for you know, Mickey Mouse to like raw fuck it at that? Yep, I guess I stand by that sentence. Why not?
Speaker 2: What could go wrong? The weird timeline we're in is where Disney and fucking what's that asshole's name? Disantas are like at each other, you.
Speaker 3: Know, yeah, and you're just like, I don't huh.
Speaker 2: I've played enough risk that I know that what happens here is you encourage both of them and then you stand back and wait.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just wait for bob Iger and DeSantis to get into a slap fight.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Interesting. For so long, my friend told me this, and then I realized a long time later that it was not It was obviously not true, but that bob Iger's name was said like Bonie Verar because it looks the same, so I thought it was Bobi Gaar for a while. It's not.
Speaker 2: Wait, I can't even I don't know how to spell any of these people's names.
Speaker 3: It's fine, and we could keep moving.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm sorry Sophie's doing that. Margaret didn't get a reference space.
Speaker 1: I really enjoyed it, and part of our audience will think it's really funny.
Speaker 3: But you don't need to comfort me. It's okay. It didn't work. It didn't work. I liked it.
Speaker 1: You're doing great, sweetie.
Speaker 3: All right, just keep telling me the story.
Speaker 2: All right. So Spanish Florida is like, fuck, we really don't want to become the States because some of the people who lived in that area include Indigenous people who weren't a big fan of the US's whole genocide the indigenous people, policy creole people who were generally free Catholic descendants of Spanish and Black parentage who weren't excited about a strict racial caste system showing up and all of a sudden, you know, being at the bottom of it. And British loyalists who you know, branded as traders, so they weren't really stoked. They weren't like, oh, man, the US to come on down.
Speaker 3: M h.
Speaker 2: The southern slave owners, though, were like, you know, rubbing their hands together and salivating at all the potential plantation land.
Speaker 3: Sounds like them.
Speaker 2: Spanish Florida was still a slave society, but it was one wherein slave people had a lot more rights. Like like, it's so hard to explain because like often slavery apologists will be like, oh, everywhere heead slavery. It's like that's true, and also not a good excuse. No, I know, I know, right, But US chattel slavery was worse. It was its own fucked up thing that everyone was like, yeah, it was kind of fucked up. Can we keep getting away with us, you know, and eventually.
Speaker 3: We write this down that we're doing this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, yeah, yeah, So I mean, like, like fuck slave societies absolutely in Spanish Florida, in slave people had basic property and marriage rights and they could buy themselves out of slavery. So a lot of people ran the fuck away from the evil empire of the United States into the Spanish territories all the time and like to have a chance at a better life. And you wind up with a lot of maroon societies, which are in this case it's both black people integrated into seminal society but also independent maroon societies. And if you really want to get into and I barely do, but I feel like it'd be lied by a mission to not mention this if you really want to get into the blurriness of the gradiation of slavery. The seminal society was also a slave society, but it was different even than the Spanish slave society. By and large, Seminole slavery was closer to serfdom. People lived their lives and then gave some percentage of their crops to their owners. It is real mess. See both the indigenous seminoles and the black seminoles believed that they had to work together to destroy the US in order to destroy slavery and colonization all in one go. And basically we're like, oh, we're gonna get rid of slavery once we destroy the United States. That is I want to do so much more reading about the seminole and all that, but that is the you know, gist of what I've read.
Speaker 3: I only got the tip of the iceberg. And it's fascinating and like you're speaking to your point, messy as hell.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you have a lot of times where indigenous seminoles and black seminoles will fight alongside one another and defend each other, and like, you know, it is a a thing whatever, moral relativism whatever.
Speaker 3: Okay, more more an hour and moral relativism.
Speaker 2: Go and that's it. That's the end of the show. So maroon societies, Maroon societies are this very common phenomenon across the New World of different society. I had not heard of marine society, so I was a grown ass adult. I'm curious if you had.
Speaker 3: I had not known.
Speaker 2: So there's this very common phenomenon across the New World of Different societies where people escaping slavery end up setting up their own resistance societies, Like all over the fucking place, there's ones that lasted hundreds of years, you know, you havely Yeah, Like we've covered a couple of them. They'll be called different things in different languages. Colombo is another word for this style of society, and in English it usually gets called maroon society. The most famous one of the United States that I really want to cover at some point, that we touched on in our one of our episodes a long ast time ago, was the Great Dismal Swamp in northeast North Carolina, where like a ton of people lived for hundreds of years resisting colonization, and maroon societies were often they were like mostly black and runaway enslaved folks, but there was also like poor white people often would end up in them because they were like, well, fuck the society I'm from. That one gets played up a little bit by like white radicals like me. You get really excited about that part. And then also indigenous folks who were like putting in their lot together, right, Yeah. And then there was like huge one that we covered in an episode we did about Brazil. We're going to cover more of them. I fucking they're amazing, and I just didn't know about it. I was just like, oh, people who were enslaved, it sucked and they had no options except to goes or the white people in the north.
Speaker 3: Right, right right, which is like, I mean, whatever, the story we learned a bagillion times about, like, well, what is the advantage of teaching get that way?
Speaker 2: It's obvious? Yeah, totally. Yeah. So today we're going to talk about a maroon society, a really particular one, not a very long lived one, but the largest one inside what is now the United States. Spoilers in Florida. You probably figured that part out. And in order to talk about it, we're gonna talk about the War of eighteen twelve. But before we talk about the War of eighteen twelve, we're gonna talk about one hundred and twelve one hundred eighteen oney, eight hundred and twelve things that you can buy for me for Christmas. Because all of these ads I want you, the listener to buy for me for Christmas.
Speaker 3: I've got my feet steeped in the last thing we advertise, and I just know that the next one is going to be delicious.
Speaker 2: Mmm mmmmmm sweet.
Speaker 3: I hope it's a car.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I love when I get ads about how you should buy new cars all the time and new phones. If you don't have a new phone every year, then you're a piece of shit.
Speaker 1: I hope it's not a car, because, as we've establish, it's under your desk right now. And if that's under your desk right now, I'm really concerned.
Speaker 3: It's under my desk, and I'm going to eat it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, concern continues.
Speaker 2: Here's the ads, and we're back. The War of eighteen twelve is also known as the War. I probably took a test on in eighth grade, but I don't remember anything except that the Brits burned down Washington. Or if you live in Maryland, you might know it as the reason we have really shitty license plates. Ooh yeah, we didn't used to have American flags in our license plates, but then at some point people were like War of eighteen twelve, and then we had really an annoying license plate.
Speaker 3: Where's the War of eighteen twelve? Hive came to the license plates specifically, but interesting to know I've seen. Yeah, my family member lives in Maryland and I never understood it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Maryland also has the really nice ones, the like Save of the Bay. One has like a heron on it. But there's that northern well of.
Speaker 3: A state bird. Love a state bird and a license plate more.
Speaker 2: Of that well Maryland mostly. I think I've already told people I'm from Maryland, mostly famous for having crabs on your driver's license.
Speaker 3: Mhm, I mean like you cornered the market on crab culture. I found out recently that my my kitten was I adopted him, and they gave me like the cross streets of where he'd been found, and he was found slash born in front of a chain restaurant called Oh My Crab, Like, oh my God, but crab for some reason, Oh.
Speaker 1: That actually really fits.
Speaker 3: And really it resonated with me. I'm like, I feel like he's got oh my crab, you know, energy, he carried it with him, he does, he does. I love that for him, my crab. I'm to try to get that into my daily language.
Speaker 2: You should just actually, every time that the word God is in something, you should replace it with crab.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I need to stop taking the name of God in vain.
Speaker 2: So crab damned tam Denoyd.
Speaker 3: That's really like Grandma. That's some Grandma, shit.
Speaker 2: These crabless heathens, all right. The War of eighteen twelve, the short version, the US got real mad at Britain, so they declared war in eighteen twelve. Yeah. Why they were mad is something that's fun to argue about. There's two main perspectives, the main American perspective and the one that actually probably is a little bit. It's like the main one that you hear about, and it's a little bit the more one. Probably it was about American honor because Britain kept fucking with American ships and they were restricting trade, and they were pressed ganging American soldier American sailors into being in the British navy, which, to be fair, is reason enough to go to war. Stealing people and forcing them to do labor is always reason enough to go to war against anyone who would do such a thing. That's my subtle anyway. So the other reason is that Britain was making it really hard for Americans to steep, keep stealing land from indigenous groups, and also the Americans wanted to steal Canada.
Speaker 3: Uh huh.
Speaker 2: Specifically, the US was trying to hard to balance the like slave and free states as it expanded and the South had just got in Louisiana. So the North, it's only fair the North should get to stay, Canada should.
Speaker 3: Get to stook it. And I understand that this was a legitimate plan, but it just does sound like when Grew from Despicable Me describes wanting to steal the Moon. I'm like, yeah, sure, you're gonna steal Canada.
Speaker 2: Best of luck. Yeah, No, it like, why would you take your own hat? It makes no sense exactly. Yeah, you'll like this part. One of the reasons the South was against annexing Canada is that it meant not only would it mean more free states, but it would mean more Catholics.
Speaker 3: You know, I were always i, Margaret, I feel like you always find a random w for Catholics.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, why not. Yeah, if I can find somebody who died in tuberculosis, or I can find some like anti papist nonsense.
Speaker 3: And so you know, there's got to be a fair amount of overlap on that event diagram.
Speaker 2: That's true. Yeah, And so the British they were also doing this thing that pissed off the US. They were supporting future friend of the pod To Cumsa and his confederacy and I want to do more about him. At some point, he was one of the first indigenous leaders to say, let's create one big confederation in resistance to the American Empire. So he like he spent the year of eighteen eleven traveling around the United States in the area west of the United States trying to build an anti American confederation. And one of his sick quotes when he was talking about how to deal with the US, he demanded war now, war always, war on the living, war on the dead. Who medalist fuck.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I was like, that's another that's like a rob zombie character.
Speaker 2: That's great. Yeah, And so he went around he was like, look, if we do this, Britain in Spain will arm us and then we can go fuck up the Americans. He only partially succeeded because the US had been not all indigenous groups were against the United States, right, Yeah, but British support for his war on the US was part of why the US went to war with Britain. So, for whatever reasons, in eighteen twelve the US declared war. England was like, yeah, whatever, sure, because they were busy dealing with a Napoleon and a war in Europe. But then when the US invaded Canada, it was still British. So Britain was like, fine, I guess we have a war whatever if you really want one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, really really teen girl about it?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Absolutely stop. Yeah, they were like could you wait?
Speaker 3: But fine, I'll sacrifice some of my own citizens and murder hundreds of thousands of others.
Speaker 2: Uh. Yeah. Well, mostly they first just armed indigenous and black groups, which is like both like noble.
Speaker 3: And forgetting that they're the keep forgetting that they're like not the bad guys here.
Speaker 2: I know, all right, I know, but it's like all right, it's still like part of the reason that they're arming all these people is that they don't want to fight the war, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Decums have died in the Battle of the Thames on October eighteen thirteen as part of the War of eighteen twelve, and once again, like last time, Britain looked at the US and was like, all right, how do we fuck up America? Oh right, they're on a fucking powder keg. Let's give the guns to runaway slaves and to indigenous people. And in the spring of eighteen fourteen, Napoleon gave up the French throne and some shit that I haven't researched enough yet that everyone who's listening knows more about than me, and Britain was able to turn his attention to the US War. They invaded and burned the US capital and the White House, which wasn't called the White House yet it was called like the President's Mansion or whatever the fuck, and black fugitive ex slaves were their allies in that they acted as scouts, spies, soldiers, sailors, and some of them did the burning, which is cool as fuck. Fuck Britain, but fuck the US.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're really presented with the real trick heutory of villains. I'm pleased. Whatever.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So when people fled slavery and crossed into British controlled territory during the war, which thousands and thousands of people did, the British helped women and children get passage to Bermuda and to other British colonies to live free. Black men were given a choice. They could either go with everyone else, or they could stay and fight, and if they did, they would be given a red coat and a musket and they would be part of integrated military units, which was not something that anyone else was fucking thinking about at that point, right, and given a chance. Some of them were non integrated units, but some of them were integrated units. We'll talk a little bit more about that, okay, And given a chance to shoot the people who were trying to own them. And so a lot of people were like, yeah, that sounds fucking great. Give me a fucking gun. I want to go kill these slavers.
Speaker 3: Never mind this red coat.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I have a gun. It's the point, yeah, exactly. Yeah, but okay, Well, actually, in a weird way, the legitimacy of the red coat meant a lot to people, a lot of them. It was like it was kind of a you can't fuck with us. We're under the union jack now and like oh.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like sheltered by a larger like infrastructure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because those white Americans are the most deluded people in the history of the world. The British were like, hey, you know what, are you mad that we stole your property. I'll tell you what, if you approach under a flag of truce, we will give you a chance to personally plead your case and try to get your runaway slaves to come back to you. So and this happened all over the United States and people kept doing it. All of these slave owners were like, well, I'm nice to Ted, so of course Ted will come back to me. And so they all went under a flag of truce and they were like, come on, Bud, remember those good times. Oh my, you will be shocked to know that at least in a few places, a few like like one percent of people or something or less were like fine, fuck it. But at least in the particular case where they did it, in like Maryland, Virginia, DC area or whatever, like, not a single person voluntarily went back to slavery, and it no kidding that they kept trying it is the most indicative of how deluded people are ever.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, or just likeugh, god, that's so depressing and embarrassing and just like you because that is just like proof positive that I don't know. It feels like almost an answer to James Madison being like, well, guys, we shouldn't mention it, we shouldn't codify slavery because of what we said earlier. It's like less self awareness than that of like truly taking the time to delude yourself into thinking you are both a slave owner and a good person. Yeah, and that like you're such a good person as a bad person that that Oh god, no, that's so embarrassing. But also like, ugh, I would love I would just love to read the journy in an entry after like you won't believe what happened today.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of them. The main book about Negro Force called The Battle of Negro Force, and it's a really good book, and it has a lot of quotes of like the because a lot of the specific specifics we know about is people later writing and being like, oh, I went today and tried to get ted back, or or it's Ted writing being like, oh, the guy came back or whatever and tried to get me. I want to watch like the reality TV show not but set then like not obviously recreating the situation. Yeah. So part of the reason that Britain was so eager to free folks in the US is their own honor. Britain had always seen itself as like the bastion of liberty, which is funny and ironic. But then after the US, funny is the US? Yeah, But after the US Revolution, the US was getting the reputation of being the bastion of liberty, and so Britain loved pointing out that they're a slave society. Had just been like, you know, who's unfree in your territory? All of the following people, you pieces of shit. And in the South during the War of eighteen twelve, the ostensibly neutral Spanish were like, you know, we hate the US. Anyway, you can set up a fort in our territory with which to plan an attack on the US South. And so the British did, and they set up the Core of Colonial Marines, which is kind of our There's like two cool people this week. One of them is the Core of Colonial Marines, and one of them is the Negro Fort, which is the people who remained. But we'll talk about that later. The corp of Colonial Marines was a multi racial army of black, white, and indigenous troops. I read in one place that it was all white officers, but then in another source I read about at least one black guy we're going to talk about later, who was a lieutenant. So I think that the top ranks were white people, but there were black officers. And they built this big, old fucking fort together, and they picked a site called Prospect Bluff, lisas was called an English and it's at the mouth of the apalachic Cola River, which is totally a river I had definitely heard of before, because I am definitely a geography knowing person.
Speaker 3: It just tripped off the top.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is gorgeous. Yeah, no, totally. I didn't like, go back and make ian editor where I had to say it again. Oh no, no, yeah. And so they seized the area. They get this army right, and it's like and they're like, all right, well there's this trading post here, but fuck them. They have enslaved people anyway. So they just show up take the area free all the people who had been working there, and the free people who had been working there or the unfree people who had been working there joined as free people to now work on the fort. And they started building, and they built this real fuck off fort. Eventually it started off. You know, they're expanding on it right by the end. It's got high stone walls, it's got a wide moat as stone buildings to store gunpowder and shit, all surrounded by forest full of like swampy forest full of one hundred foot tall pine trees.
Speaker 3: Okay, this is some like infrastructure I'm familiar with, Like the vaguely medieval stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, there's people hitting people with swords in this story, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, this is this is my Florida.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, that's right, Yeah, medieval Florida. And so they went around and they went to all these indigenous groups and all these leaders and were like, hey, do you want a ton of guns and food and shit. If you're down to fight the Americans who keeps stealing all this shit from you, we will help you fight them. Bonus points if you could also go around and tell any enslave people, anyone who runs away from America or Spain whose territory were in, they're free now if they make it to us. Eventually, three thousand Muskogie warriors donned redcoats and joined the army against their common enemy. Others went and recruited people to slavery, and they built an army, a really cool multi racial army. Their officer Okay, I hate how we know more about their officer, the white officer, than we do about almost any of the other people. Right, Yeah, this guy's really fucking cool. His name is Edward Nichols, and he's his irishman.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm already listening.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he dedicated his life to fighting slavery as well as fighting for the rights of indigenous North Americans against the American government. That was like what he did with his life. He was wild. He was born a Protestant in Ireland. Can can't help that, you know, no one, no one chooses. He joined the Royal Navy at eleven. He fought in one hundred and seven battles in his life. He survived starting when he was eleven. Yeah, yeah, well, I think by sixteen he's like really more doing the war stuff. I think he's like kind of like a ship hand or something. At the first.
Speaker 3: It does. I mean, he's got a he's got a really good like movie protagonist name. They're like, yeah, Nichols.
Speaker 2: Oh, he's a wild card. His lookout for Nichols. Fighting Nichols is his name during most of the story.
Speaker 3: Of course, he's got an Irish sounding nickname, fighting Nichols. That's Irish as a hell.
Speaker 2: Yeah. During his life, he survived a broken leg, being shot through the torso, shot through the arm, hid in the head with a sword, almost killed, bayonetted through the chest, and lost an eye to grape shot. That one's actually gonna happen.
Speaker 3: During the story, God, you're your move recipe and that's wild all before antibiotics.
Speaker 2: He lived to be eighty five years old.
Speaker 3: That, oh God, that's the certainly the result of some sort of witchcraft, and celebrate that witchcraft.
Speaker 2: That's why did.
Speaker 3: It at any point? I mean, I'm not expecting you to know his like totally. At any point. Did he have to slow down at any point or was he just like this way.
Speaker 2: I don't know how much of this eighty five years he was fighting, you know, because I like, I like thought about it. I like ran into him and I was like, I wonder if I'm going to save him and just do him later. And I'm like, I don't know.
Speaker 3: I mean, it sounds like, you know, if we're dis covering one exploit today, it sounds like you've got exploitss if he started when he was eleven.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Like the mccaullay culkin of being this.
Speaker 2: Guy and his abolitionism comes from religious fervor sort of. John Brown's style and his actions and the actions of everyone else that we're going to talk about today too, are going to inspire John Brown, who's going to specifically reference negro Ford, although under a different name. After the war in America, Nichols moves to like the mid Atlantic or whatever. He starts attacking slave ships as part of the attempt to destroy the Transatlantic slave trade. There's a town named after him in the Bahamas called Nichols Town, named by its founders, who were enslaved people he helped liberate. Okay, so he's cool. He wasn't in charge of the British post, but he was in charge of the training, teaching them how to fire muskets and shit and leading them into battle. Less than a month into the training, the Americans start trying to invade Pensacola, and he and his troops show up, and the Americans are like, in their mind, we don't want to invade Pensacola. We changed our mind. It's not we weren't even I don't know what you're talking about. We weren't going to invade. We were just hanging out.
Speaker 3: To kill who.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Oh, that's weird. Yeah. The fact that white, black, and indigenous soldiers led by an irishman very specifically did the newspapers complain about that part. The fact that they were all fighting alongside one another scandalized the American press. The savages are taking over. Basically, something must be done. Nothing could be done right away because there was already a war. All of the getting done was try trying to happen, you know, right The US side was also arming indigenous groups. Every war the US has ever gotten or got up to manage to turn not only different tribes and nations against each other, but often split them internally in kind of a brother versus brother way. This week's story is going to be no different. There's going to be Indigenous people fighting on both sides of this. There's this asshole slaver named Benjamin Hawkins who spent decades quote unquote civilizing the Muskogee, encouraging them to practice chattel slavery of black people, and paid them bounties to catch fugitive slaves. So a lot of these indigenous folks are US allies in the War of eighteen twelve, and they're promised that they can keep any black people they find who don't already have owners. Basically, whenever they do any of these raids, later many of them will feel betrayed and switch sides. But that's later. But you know what else is later, Jamie, The rest of might have a feel it's the rest of the story because because you the super rat army, what are they going to do? You can't just read a history book or Wikipedia or the Wikipedia won't get you the good stuff. Unfortunately, you have to wait till Wednesday.
Speaker 3: But I want no, I'm gonna wait two whole minutes and then we're gonna start recording the next Yeah.
Speaker 2: That's true. And then when we're done, I'm gonna eat dinner. I'm so excited.
Speaker 3: We love to see it.
Speaker 2: But before we do any of that, Jamie, what do you have to plug?
Speaker 3: I will you know? I want to plug. We the Unhoused again. We've got new episodes coming out every other Tuesday. It's hosted and written by the O Henderson, and we have a bunch of great episodes coming out in the new year. We have an episode in production that is about living out of trailers and especially a long venice beach. We have an episode coming out about being unhoused and queer in LA. We've all this stuff coming out and I would recommend you subscribe. And then if you want to read a book about hot dogs, there's one called raw Dog and it's all my faults and you can get it, and that's what I'll plug.
Speaker 2: And that's why forever for well, eventually people will stop only making hot dog references when they talk to you. Won't that be nice?
Speaker 3: I don't know. I don't know. I mean, I feel like that's kind of a nice thing where you're like, well, this is this association is going to be forever. But then you spend ten hours talking about something more specific and worse.
Speaker 2: And then it's that, yeah, yeah, it's true.
Speaker 3: Life's beautiful.
Speaker 2: Life is beautiful, Sophie. What do you want to plug?
Speaker 1: I want to plug that, Jamie said, okay, if I plug the show for next year, Yeah, yeah, okay, I want to plug that. We have cool Zone Media are bringing you a weekly Loftus bring you a new show, written and hosted, investigated and interviewed with the one and only Jamie Loftis interviewed. I don't know if that was a good I don't know if I did it.
Speaker 2: I did it justice there.
Speaker 1: It's true, though I'm not gonna tell you what it's about because ha ha, but look for it and Mark String.
Speaker 3: Coming spring along with the flowers. It's going to be a blast. I'm so scared. I'm So Scared of Photography with Robert Mgpei about how to have an intense scripted weekly podcast and it seems easy.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I didn't say, oh god, it's going to burn you out. I said it's amazing.
Speaker 3: You said easy, easy, easy, easy.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 1: But basically what I'm saying is you're fucking welcome listeners.
Speaker 3: Look out for it.
Speaker 2: I'm excited. Every Jamie Loftis podcast is a good one, and.
Speaker 3: Every Jamie Loftis podcast is produced by Sophie Lick Driven even better.
Speaker 2: If you want to hear more stories, you can listen to on Sunday. Maybe you already do because it's in the same podcast feed, but you can listen to cool Zone Media book Club where fiction and if you want all of the ad pivots but none of the ads, subscribe to Cooler Zone Media and we'll see you on Wednesday.
Speaker 3: Bye bye.
Speaker 1: Cool People Who Did Cool Stuff is a production of cool Zone Media. For more podcasts and cool Zone Media, visit our website Coolzonmedia dot com, or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.