Speaker 1: Look at this is back.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we.
Speaker 1: Gotta show us.
Speaker 3: Really, We're gonna answer your voicemails, gonna talk plenty of defense, yes, and.
Speaker 1: We're gonna play a game.
Speaker 2: Yes, sir gonna, I mean not wrong. Hey, you doing guys?
Speaker 1: It is the get Loud podcasts.
Speaker 3: Anybody see Geek the official tickety partner of your washing commanders, Brat Smooth, Michael Jenkins and discussion guests in the house.
Speaker 4: Yeah, immediately haters when you have you know, I've been I've been one of your biggest fans.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's true. That's true. Like that, that's no hate between me and you is a brotherhood. That's what it is. Respect. Respect.
Speaker 5: What about to man, Hey man, just chilling man, just trying to enjoy the sum Obviously I got a tan. I wasn't this dark last week, so yeah, yes, he was. I was enjoying the weather man. I'm just excited man, to be with you guys. There's always a good I feel it. I feel it in the air when I came to the building to day. Yeah it feels a little bit different. Yeah, I feel something in the air.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: You know what Bobby Wagner's been doing. Yes, meeting with Magic Johnson. Yeah, so Magic posted on Instagram. Put this on Twitter as well. Today I had lunch with Bobby Wagner, a Super Bowl champion current Washington Man linebacker. I was impressed by his entrepreneurial mindset and provided him with tips on how to scale his business and building.
Speaker 1: Well, so Magic is a great businessman.
Speaker 2: Everything he touch could dad. That's true.
Speaker 1: And also I didn't realize you back in the day. Well on the Magic Johnson show.
Speaker 2: Hey man, Magic, you've.
Speaker 5: Done a lot a lot of people talking about you know. I was on the air because I was part of uh you know one time I used to be a model and I was part of the NFL. The NFL Best Bodies don't at home, don't go find that show. We were on the show. I think t O was on the show. Regret for some of the old players. But Magic, he came on late late night. I think he was like Channel fifty four after Our City, Your Hall. Magic tried it all. But that was a fun experience. Bobby, get the kid. I mean, that's the beauty of having a guy like Magic as an ownership. Now call him up. And Magic has always been like that for athletes where he'll drop a little knowledge on you about you're talking about Selex smooth set, everything you touch.
Speaker 2: He can scale things.
Speaker 5: He understands business, you know, movie theater, Starbucks, every real estate. You know, the guys, the teams, everything, sports teams. I mean to say the least, you guys just phenomenal. And for Bobby to be able to dive in go meet with him. You know Bobby Strop dude. I know I know Bobby from Shrop dude. So that was a good thing for him to do.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 4: At the end of the day, you're talking about Magic Johnson, my friend, at the end of the day, if you can cherry pick knowledge from people like that, yes, this this everything.
Speaker 2: A player dreams of. And now we have this dream team ownership that you can.
Speaker 4: Kind of pick all their brain and find out these small things. But when it comes to a guy like Magic Johnson, man, first of all, let's be honest.
Speaker 2: His dad is from Mississippi, right, So if.
Speaker 5: You wonder what Magic is the way he is, it's because his daddy was born in Mississippi.
Speaker 2: In all great things, he had to be born in mississ Yeah, that's what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: Great things come billionaires I'm talking Oprah Winfrey.
Speaker 2: I'm talking Morgan Freeman. I'm talking Elvis to Elvis. I'm talking Mississippi's Finest. We even got Britney Spears in it.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 2: All I'm saying is Mississippi creates great things. But this up a good point though.
Speaker 5: It seems like these young owners and new owners are more willing to meet with players.
Speaker 2: That's a good thing.
Speaker 1: It's not that separation.
Speaker 5: In the fact that Magic posted this on Instagram, like, man, that's that's that's a that's a big move. Just just the show, like, hey man, I'm embracing everything, approach the boy, and it's good for the brand, it's good for the commanders.
Speaker 2: It's just good for the city.
Speaker 4: And I got the interview, sit down with Magic, hang out with Magic man.
Speaker 2: He I can see why a whole planet falls in love with Magnetic.
Speaker 1: Who did you have in your career?
Speaker 3: Could be an unexpected mentor or someone maybe that's expected, where you came to the league and someone really guided you in a way that impacted you.
Speaker 4: Well, I can say it was not him, Yeah he didn't.
Speaker 2: He was never a model. He was in Jet magazine.
Speaker 4: I can say this. My guy was DN and it started in college. He reached out to me when I was in college because I had did an ESPN right up, and I was like that, my I kind of walk in his path do everything.
Speaker 2: He reached out to.
Speaker 4: Me and started to talk to me my senior year in college and I got drafted here and he was waiting on me in the locker room, and just talking to him made me feel like one I belonged in the NFL.
Speaker 2: Two he was giving me these little ten bits.
Speaker 4: Three weeks after we get here, he retires, all right, So now he said, here, take my twenty one, take my jersey, take my locker, take everything. Like he literally gave me everything. I had a joint contract for the first three year.
Speaker 2: He gave me that like.
Speaker 4: It was like he set me up for success. So Dean Sammon's most definitely was they.
Speaker 5: Got I think me for me, it was Paul Allen. Now that I think about Bobby and the magic. Paul Allen, most people don't know was purchasing the Seahawks when I was being drafted. So the team was actually practicing in Anaheim, and then I had to go back and I had to sit down with mister Allen and go around and say as he was buying a team and spend some time with him and that relationship because I was his first draft pick in the first as he bought the team. So that relationship for me was which probably led me to do on the stuff I do today and teching all the different things. So he's for head of Microsoft, yes, yeah, mister Allen if you guys, he's a founder of Microsoft and him and Bill Gates. But he also owned supporting trailer base in the Seahawks and uh, the Sounders out there. So man, that was a big, big moment for me to be able to be with somebody like miss Stella.
Speaker 1: Oh, I'm sure that's huge.
Speaker 3: And then you have a guy like Bobby Wagner who isn't just meeting with Magic Johnson, but it's meeting with Magic Johnson hard on the Commanders. So there's a real connection there that that it's not just a celebrity guy's a real vested interest in what.
Speaker 2: You're a lifetime connection and this is what it's about. It's a lifetime connection.
Speaker 4: And I think what the new ownership group is trying to do is bring back that family atmosphere that used to be around and they trying to let everybody know we got your back, good, bad, ugly in between. And I think that's what make franchise of family. Like when we were when they was winning championships here, I talked to that group of players. I don't talk to be Mitch, I don't talk to the post out of And the one thing they always told me what made us better than most teams, Well we won. We was a football family, yeah, and families always win. And that's what happened.
Speaker 3: Well, we've seen over the past couple weeks is now we're seeing the pundits come out, Yes, best come out and say all right, here's what's gonna happen.
Speaker 1: And there is a little bit of run.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, a few people saying that the Commanders could make a jump.
Speaker 1: From worse to first.
Speaker 2: Do you believe it? Sports right, Let's let's be honest.
Speaker 4: What we did was we took They took a roster, They trim the fat, They kept all the best players to TYR mclawn's John Allens the pains, they kept all the good players, and they replaced all the ones that was mid level with high up, high grace players.
Speaker 2: So yes, they have a chance.
Speaker 4: I got a lead on defense with Bobby Wagner, yellow jacket guy. I got Sam cosed me to leave my offense line one of the best rated guards in the league.
Speaker 2: Last year.
Speaker 4: I got tyr mclawin when the top fifteen where I receive it on the outside.
Speaker 2: I got a rocking quarterback. They can throw in run.
Speaker 4: People don't know what they expect. The unexpect. They can't catch you off guard, like think about it the offense. They don't for the first five weeks, no team or know how to play us offensively because they ain't got no film to watch. Defensively, We're gonna be very aggressive and we're gonna we added a ton of Italian I didn't think about who you played in your division, the Giants.
Speaker 2: And that, And that's where I think a lot of people is looking at it to. You know.
Speaker 5: So when one team like Smooth says building through the drive, keeping the best players and doing some good things, then you look at the NFC East Philly last year was a mess.
Speaker 2: And they got to new offensive court.
Speaker 5: They were a massive Jalen Hurst didn't That wasn't a j Hurst we saw for the first two years of his career. Eighteen months of his career whatever it was. And then Daniel Jones, you never know what you're gonna get. They lost, they lost Sa Kwan. So the Giants is just you know, I mean, you know, they're clearly in the rebuilding face up there in New York and Dallas is X factor. Right, they lose Dan, But me and Smooth was talking about the air. Dak seems to be the guy who doesn't get like he's.
Speaker 3: The Rodney danger field quarterback, like you never know, he's gotta win some playoff games.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, but he's good enough to win. But he was like, ah, you just don't know can win a championship with that. So when you look at that, you take the bet that coordinated. They still got a pretty good team. You know, they got a stud of monster on defense and died in CD and all those guys. If CD is not in green Bay from I'm hearing about the rumors about he could possibly trade a green Bay.
Speaker 4: First of all, green Bay dot Green Bay is not a team that goes out and cheery picks people.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but they were looking at CDM, so maybe Dallas is trying to figure out how the just the salary cap.
Speaker 2: But the Smooths point you rebuild a team playing against a kind of weak and uncertain, uncertain nfcas it could be possible.
Speaker 5: But there is one button. Jase Daniels. Yeah, a rookie quarterback. Well guess what right, everybody sees him in that CJ SC could they could be Ronan and we talked about that before.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's that's the only thing.
Speaker 4: But I think his roster is set up for him to have some sense better than munch Brice Young. So I think he and let's just say the officers line is the weakest point on the team. He has the legs get away from there for the first couple of years. While you while you're trying to get that situation.
Speaker 1: Make sure you leave your comments in the comments section.
Speaker 3: You can leave us a voicemail seven O three seven two six seven four one nine the most medium message you're ever gonna receive, so As Mills.
Speaker 1: And then we're gonna talk about and it's gonna play these voicemails.
Speaker 4: Yes please do I love the voicemail to get loud podcasts brought to you by bet three six five, the official sporting ben partner of the Washington Commanders, been on a range of NFL markets with BED three six five aup craft your own personal lives, bet slip with Parlay's access thousands of games with live scream and plays your bit before the match of doing the game.
Speaker 2: It's up to you.
Speaker 4: Download the BED three six five up today and join eighty million members worldwide, age twenty one plus only. Must be physically located in Virginia. Gambling problem called the text one eight hundred gambler mwa. We don't travel to escape life. We travel so life don't escape us. We dream of any place in the world and the blink of a I, we're there. The the wonder of flight. All we have to do is decide where to Dulles International Airport. Let your imagination. Saw a book your adventure today at fly Dulls dot com. Slash none stop.
Speaker 1: It's voicemail time.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, we got voicemails.
Speaker 3: So Anna is going to play each voicemail for us. This one is from Francis Fairing you ready, Anna? All right, let's see what did Francis.
Speaker 7: Guys Newark, Delaware calling it a get loudt how soon? This is awesome? Okay, listen, I have a question. Somebody needs to look at the definition of the word pundit, because the pundits out there are saying that the Eagles and the Cowboys are shoe wings for the NFC East. And I know Washington's record last year was not that great, but the Washington last year is much much different than the Commander team this year. I really think they have a chance, believe it or not, to take the NFC East. I mean positive they will. No, but they got a chance. Everybody is ruling them out. So if you look at the definition of pundit and dictionary, I'd have to say that it'll come back as nonsense, illogical person. That's what I'm saying. The pundits don't make sense to me. They are misinformed, They are misguided. They should not say that Washington has no chance or they're an afterthought. So Washington NFC each champs this year. Figures crossed.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's talk about the word yes. What what's the word pundit?
Speaker 3: It is when you say pundit, an expert, are someone considered a leader in a specific field, right Like you're a pundit, Yeah, you're a pundit or someone who is yes, very vocal or is considered to be an expert or someone who has more information or is looked to for an opinion, So you would be a pundit, I guess, I guess so yeah, yeah, most definitely.
Speaker 2: Uh, I'm one of those people. I'm very realistic.
Speaker 4: And I think what the pundits are saying is because we're so young, we can only go so far. It's like the OKC thunder. As good as they were, we knew it was going in because they just haven't. They haven't lost yet. They haven't done with the Boston self. It's done been their lost, been there lost. Now they're ready to take that step. So what I think they're saying is the pundits are saying is Washington might be good, but we don't think they'll be great.
Speaker 5: Yes, well, to be fair as a pundit, not a pundit, I'm not a pun but you know, when we haven't and over the last four or five, maybe even ten years, because if we historically have changed leadership in it and have one smooth we talk about it all the time.
Speaker 2: You got to prove it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we still have to prove it in Washington, and and I think we're making I told you I feel it in the air with the changes in the air. I can you can feel it coming in the building. But I still think until we prove it, the pundits are gonna they're not gonna believe it, and you're gonna have to earn it. And you're gonna have to earn it this year and possibly before the pundits say, Okay, Washington and what under Dan Quinn has really done his job.
Speaker 1: I don't think it's probable, but I think it's possible.
Speaker 7: Yes.
Speaker 3: And also if you're a pundit, I will say you are in a no win situation because if you come out and you say, I think that maybe the Eagles of the Cowboys will win this division, that's easy.
Speaker 2: That's easy, And people.
Speaker 3: Who are giants and commanders fans are gonna say, well, we got a chance, man, it's the NFC EA.
Speaker 4: I would think about it. Nobody thought that Tixans was gonna be the Tixans. They they had the number two and the number three pick. The Texans were picked to be slum lords, all.
Speaker 2: Right, they were No.
Speaker 5: I felt people felt that Demika Ryan had proved himself, just like coach Quinn. You gotta give something with Demiko coming across and anybody who's coming out of us that that's that Kyle Shanahan organization family you have been having six Nobody thought they was gonna be a playoff. No, no, nobody, nobody, but we thought they would be better. I believe in and that's what they were saying the punish believe we will be much better on the corn and that's what you alluded to it earlier.
Speaker 2: We cut the fat. We got better everywhere.
Speaker 5: There's more depth, there's there's the quarterback position. Drafting at the number two gives you a chance to smooth point to go from well we could be okay to shoot.
Speaker 3: Problem Voice smail number two from Steve Hillant voice smell number two.
Speaker 8: I got a question for it that I talked with me and my dad and my brother where we've been commanders, slash riskins, fans our entire life, and I asked, does Ryan Kerrigan's number get retired? He was finished a commander.
Speaker 9: Even though he had a little stint with the Eagles, But does the commander's organization retire ninety one? And not let anybody else wear that beloved number one?
Speaker 2: He is the all time rank.
Speaker 4: Ryan Kerrigan is the all time SEC leader for this frenchise Daryl Green is getting his jersey twenty eight retired this year.
Speaker 2: This says everything.
Speaker 4: If Darryl Green is just getting his jersey retired, the chances of Kerrigan's getting retired I think a slim right because you run out of numbers.
Speaker 3: But how much of Jerald Green getting his number retired now is because of the new ownership and doing things differently.
Speaker 4: If you ask any fans, they'll say they're Green jersey posts been retired.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that just gonna happens.
Speaker 4: I just think we had a point number crunching wise where you can't continue to retire numbers, Like, if you continue to retire numbers, they won't think about it. Sonny nine. Nobody's wore at nine, Thiresman. The only person to where there's seven was what's the name by were drafted. So we got like twelve numbers that out of rotation already. I don't you can put ninither one twenty seven ain't being worn. They don't wear that twenty self.
Speaker 6: You know?
Speaker 2: Forty four is that out of is that out of commission? Forty four? I haven't seen a lot of forty four.
Speaker 4: I haven't seen people wear the number forty four, like, so we have numbers that's already not.
Speaker 2: Being retired but being respected.
Speaker 5: Well, if if you think about the numbers retired, I mean, if you have to look at Ryan, I would have to say only thing. The only difference that far as like being in the organization, the amount of time he was there. Ryan Kerrigan is known as mister Washington. He's one of those guys, right. Unfortunately he was in an era where the other guys who have retired jerseys won Super Bowl.
Speaker 2: Yes, so it's kind of muddies.
Speaker 4: Most people say, all right, let's just say that we did a Washington trivia in DC. Who's the best past Russia all time? Most people don't say this to man, you can say what you want to back. They gonna say Dixter Man is Dixter's number retired. If you don't retire dexter number, you can't retire.
Speaker 2: K That's true. Yeah, that's tough. That's that's a tough one.
Speaker 5: But I will say Captain America, which we called him around here for years, man, like, he's deserving of just being up there as one of the best. But I wouldn't go as far as return is number. Yeah, I don't think we can do a good question Yeah, good questions.
Speaker 1: Voicemail number three Anna give it a shot.
Speaker 10: What's up, guys, it's a mirror from Richmond. I love the podcast, Fred Smooth. You're the funniest man alive. I want to invite you. Since you'all were talking about parties, I'm gonna invite you to my wife's birthday party in mcclaim, Virginia. I guess, James, I guess you can come to it.
Speaker 4: You want.
Speaker 10: What the mouth of the South and get the party going. It's gonna be lots of Brazilian barbecue. The brazil My wife's family is Brazilian.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I'm showing up to that one barbecue.
Speaker 10: And you know how these Brazilians they don't mess around with their barbecue anyway. I'm gonna let you all go keep doing what you do. Love y'all.
Speaker 1: Amir Faby, I am attending.
Speaker 2: Let me know where you're going, bro, I'm going to get some of that Brazilian.
Speaker 4: Most people don't understand it. Hey, most people don't understand that Brazilian. Brazil runs the beef global market. A lot of people don't understand it. Most of your beef is owned by no no, all I'm telling you is most of the chicken houses in America all home by Brazilian businesses. Y'all think we run the beef business. The Brazilians run the beef.
Speaker 2: B beef locally from Lee's Bird, but it's Brazilian. I'm just telling you so, I can't wait. I will attend this right, And I like the way he just through that.
Speaker 1: But it looks like, hey, man, if you want to throw Jinks in the trunk, right.
Speaker 2: You gotta have Jinks at the party. Man, it ain't a party unless jinks there. You got to bring your homeboy to eat uh used in the wings.
Speaker 1: Somebody's gotta clean the house up. All right, let's do our comment of the week.
Speaker 3: By the way, leave us a voicemail seven O three seven two six seven four one nine.
Speaker 1: Yelp anna buy a new phone.
Speaker 2: Yes we will comment of the week.
Speaker 1: The unwritten rules of tattoos. This is Jacob Kemper four oh eighty six. There is an unwritten rule on tats.
Speaker 3: You don't have your first one before you turn thirty five. It is considered desperate. If you have a tat, you can get another one whenever you want. My mom says this rule is bs.
Speaker 5: I'm with his mom because I am too. I'm forty five with no tax. But we gotta acknowledge they are rules to get in tattooeds. Certain people can't get tattooed. Yeah, what you mean I have a tattoo rule. I feel like you shouldn't have got a tattoo. And that's one of my rules is darkness. Mean, if he is dark as me, do not wet some money on tack because they don't necessarily show as you get older.
Speaker 4: So that's a rule, right, they got white ink. Now, Like what I'm saying is this happened because I said it's time for me to.
Speaker 2: Get a tattoo. That's a mid life crisis. And that's what everybody said.
Speaker 4: Everybody think I'm going through a minute likes because I was like, yeah, I just think it's time, like for me to get a tattoo. Why not like when people see me on the beach, because you know what, I'm on the beach, I run in slow motion and stuff. You know what I'm saying, like everything slow down? And I had no tax and people like, seriously, no test. I was like, no, I just want to be different. Your son of a preacher. I just want to be different than most athletes because everybody when we played had tattoos. So I was like, I'm not gonna get a tattoo. And now I'm looking around like, you know what, let me get a tattoo because I didn't trust twenty year old friend smooth to choose a tattoo.
Speaker 2: Why do you want a tattoo?
Speaker 10: Now?
Speaker 2: What is it gonna say? You should put it? You should put it on your low back. I can see you on your foot like, I don't know what I'm gonna get.
Speaker 4: And if any fans I they got any suggestions what I should get from my first tattoo.
Speaker 2: Let me know, leave it, force me whatever you want. I got one for you. What you should get the state of Mississippi put right here on.
Speaker 4: My heart, my heart Mississippi. Most definitely, I might get a set only somewhere. Let's go get mettion tattooed no matching tattoo.
Speaker 10: Do not do it.
Speaker 2: It, Please do not do that.
Speaker 3: Let's face some bills real quick. See geek, guys, we love se geek. We do the official ticketing partner. Oh, the Washington Commanders, and you're gonna want to hear this news all season long because the Dealers finalized the Remember the Family, So if you haven't heard the name yet, get used to.
Speaker 2: It doesn't matter.
Speaker 1: If you're buying tickets, selling tickets to any Commander's game, any live event in.
Speaker 2: The d n V.
Speaker 1: Seat Geek is the place to do it.
Speaker 3: The new official ticketing partner of the Washington Commanders, So Commanders fans.
Speaker 2: Can fan get your fan on.
Speaker 3: You know, you said we we got a lot of suit to talk about, specifically on the defense. But you said something before he went on, which is interesting, which is when you have a new coaching staff, they're going to work you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the only way they can find out what they have.
Speaker 5: So when the coaches, you know, new staff, get those extra OTA days or extra camp days and then maximize them.
Speaker 2: So you know, and that's what Sneeda.
Speaker 5: You expect that when you have a coach and you're trying to jail and you got to get ready for a season. A lot of new guys and a lot of new faces, different coaching styles. So when they get out there, man, they work you and they and they try everything in the off season and you know, smook and tell you that it's you know, they're throwing everything up on the wall and whatever sticks is going to stick based on their personnel, moving guys around different positions, and man, they just get after it.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 4: I think it's one of those things where when you get a new coaching staff, it's kind of like it's every player in the locker room and be like, damn, I got to reprove myself. Like it's a different between reproving yourself doing a game didn't reproving yourself a practice.
Speaker 2: Reproving yourself as practice is to earn the respect of your new coaching stale.
Speaker 4: And when you get to your new coaches stall, like should said, they are trying to see who's who and what is what. And the thing that scares us to most is, no matter how good you are in this league, you don't fit everybody's scheme. So the thing about it is you want to make sure whatever they're asking me to do, I need to show them that I can do it, and not only that I could do it, I can catch on to they playbook. Plus I could do it at a high level. And I think that's what a new coaching staff brings. It wakes up everybody in the lining room like everybody's own call, meaning.
Speaker 5: I got to show these guys what I got and to that the on call meaning I got a chance to start, you know, because the old coach staff might have had some.
Speaker 2: Right towards me. But now I can go out them ball. You never know, so you get a chance to prove yourself well.
Speaker 3: When you talk about fitting in under a certain staff or finding a role to fit you, Jeremy chen was talking about this, yeah, right where he said on a podcast, Look, the Steelers offered me a little bit more money, but I felt like this was a better defensive fit for me. So I'm sure you can relate to that. Knowing that you fit in with the staff jinks, you will be a fool.
Speaker 4: And then if you're in a dB in this league and you hear Joe Wick, you hear his coaches to have you want to play for this team.
Speaker 2: Treyvon and Diggs led the league and interceptions two years ago.
Speaker 4: Last year, Bland led the lead in emceptions when these guys was at Green Bay.
Speaker 2: See Charles Woodson led the league in everywhere they go. The DNS lead the.
Speaker 5: League legion of boom and whatever guys say, if you if you especially if you're in the secondary.
Speaker 2: You know Dan's history.
Speaker 5: I mean, everybody know the Legion and Boom, that's probably one of the better secondaries to play in the Super Bowl and that and they had a nice little run with that secondary.
Speaker 2: So man, why would not want to play for that girl?
Speaker 3: How much can a coach maximize your potential everything? Not just sche but do like I always say this about players.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we's some of us a little bit better than theirs, but the talent level is is there, it's teetering, all right. What makes us different is coaches, like my coach puts me in better positions than your coach. I like, literally, I played for Greg Williams. Didn't have the second think anything. I feel good at what I was doing. I believed in his scheme, all right, But I played in the scheme the year before that. Did I believe in his scheme? I was okay with it.
Speaker 2: That was good.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna do my job. But in this key, coaches separate. Put it like this, most players are good. Coaches make you great. Okay, that's the difference.
Speaker 5: And I know, coming from Seattle to Washington, knowing what coach Gibbs was putting together, with that staff and Greg Williams. When I was in Seattle, everybody knew was like, oh, he can cover, he's outside, he plays outside. Then when I got here in Washington and smooth to tell you, I immediately moved inside, you know, blitzing, doing all types of different things, making calls in the front and actually having to be able to communicate. Because when I was a young playing Seattle, I would go out there, staying out there.
Speaker 10: Do what I do.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think, But now I'm like, Greg Williams put me in a position where it gave me more responsibility and stuff like that. So as a player, when you see Dan Quinn's of the world, those type of coaches, you get the opportunity to play for him. And yeah, he could have got more money, but guess what, I may have a better chance to even have better numbers. So when I do, he creat yeah, I have a chance to.
Speaker 1: I know both of you guys, revered Greg Williams.
Speaker 3: Greg, and I feel like I don't put words in your mouth, but I feel like you've noticed some similarities between.
Speaker 1: Him and Joe Witt mentality.
Speaker 4: I have the mentality, the way they communicate the way they start practice, like Santanaum used to be over there. By the time we make it to the field, Greg is already running us. Like he said, you want to play the game tired, So therefore before practice start, I'm gonna make y'all tired. Like so he used to run us to death. I see them doing it, and I see the attention to detail.
Speaker 9: Like.
Speaker 4: The one thing about it is we would practice, and we would go through a week of practice and I would pick off the same ball all the time. So then when I get in the game and it's thirty five and oh, they're finna run this route, I'm picking they bat like. So these things are predetermined. It's a difference between playing corner and I'm out there like, oh, I hope I get an interception, then me saying, all right, I'm gonna get an interception on this thirty five because we've been practicing this all weekend. When they get in this formation, this is what they run, I'm jumping this. He then told me to jump this all week long. It's nothing like that for a dB because it comes you down. It allows you to just go out and play football and let the game come to you.
Speaker 5: And you talked about Joe whitt mentioning that he has seventeen to eighteen guys who can play. When you hear a coach talk like that, you know people's like, well, we don't have a starter yet, But you get to see those seventeen and eighteen guys or those guys on that defense, they know they're building a bond that they're gonna compete and play to practice, compete and practice at a high level weekend and week out. You're gonna learn, you're gonna get better. So that's where when when I hear stuff like that, I was like, that's what Greg would say.
Speaker 2: It don't matter what.
Speaker 4: Greg would tell us you the start of this week, right Like that means you gotta earn the other sixteen yes to be a starter, like and it can change at the drop of a dive.
Speaker 2: That keeps you on your toes. They keep you understanding what the planing is.
Speaker 4: And that's how you they have top five defenses back to back to back because everybody understand I'm only a starter for a game.
Speaker 3: How much does that helped the culture because what you're sentially saying is we may start these eleven guys, but they're not the only eleven.
Speaker 2: Guys got yeah.
Speaker 5: Well, and I think when when you say that, let's be real, there might be seventeen and eighteen guys. But I think as you get to know each other and god start to feeling, we know that everybody start to understand their roles. We understand that this guy is as our thumper Marcus Washington, he gonna hit, he's gonna hear a thumper. We got d Lineman that they run, they run stoppers, and we got some guys. They got some guys come off the bench and they can pass rush and then the secondary Like for us, it was a guy named Anti jam Like if somebody needed a break or go down.
Speaker 2: Autie knew that.
Speaker 5: Like you're a starter, like now you start, you can come right in and we can't have no drop off. Man, you can't give up. We can't give up two hundred yards passion. You know, we all running right, So everybody came in. So it creates an environment of like yeah, we all competing weekend and week out, but it also creating enviouce the next man up when we all work together.
Speaker 4: We just we all got to young back and I think that was that was a good thing in our defense don't matter if it was London Markus why shout uh, it's just whoever.
Speaker 2: We played as a group.
Speaker 4: And I think once you become one organism, that's when you start to dominate. Like like I say this all the time, the best teams are not the best individuals, they are the best unit.
Speaker 2: And we was a unit. Favor don't use organism. You went to missive bog alone.
Speaker 7: Lea.
Speaker 1: So when is that forge?
Speaker 3: When you talk about a group coming together early on, you're still feeling each other out. You got some rookies, but when I mean, I know that's kind of an arbitrary thing to say, right and having different times when do you feel like, yeah, now we're getting galvanized.
Speaker 4: Where when we had practicing, the offense can't move the ball when they trying to do everything. When they're trying, they're changing their identity because they got to.
Speaker 2: Get us out of our groove.
Speaker 4: Like we see it when we start to make plays back to back to back to back and then all of us making plays don't.
Speaker 5: And the flipper is that sometimes you know your defense, you have days when we are at the offense or you're going to a game and man you down and next thing you know, we can hit a switch and say, hey, guys, let's do this. This is not us this, let's make these changes, let's make these adjustments, and everybody kind of give that look and we don't even have to say the words, you know, like we're about to go out here and get after it.
Speaker 2: You just can get that look, right man, Somebody'll make a play.
Speaker 5: Somebody when we get back to the huddle and we and we kind of feel each other and we kind of know.
Speaker 2: So it's like they know they can look towards we already know.
Speaker 5: Smooth might come up with the balls somehow, you might blitching get ready, you know, or when we had a few guys like that, then we knew when we needed a hard stop, like the defense can like Lennon get us hundled up or Ap would get ushulded up, and like, guys, this is it right now on that So, so I think the best way to say it is when that when you have that non verbal communication, you just kind of know and you kind of feel, and that happens at different times sometimes again, you know, if your team has been together for a couple of years, it can happen, you know, like in training camp, but sometimes it might be week six, All of a sudden, you see a team they were kind of three and three to start, and you know they're gonna run. And that's because you know, one guy came in and made the difference. A rookie all of something was ready to go and actually, you know, boom, that was the difference to make the team pop.
Speaker 4: I don't know most definitely, And it's all about like I said, it's synergy.
Speaker 2: It's when it come to defense.
Speaker 4: Like like when I watched the team last year, I could see times where they just weren't communicating and you can see it watching the TV.
Speaker 2: Now. The one thing about me and Sean, we had none.
Speaker 4: Verbal communication because we had talked doing the week watching film. When they do this stack, we're gonna come over here, we're gonna box. We don't need to talk. But I can look at Shun and be like, no, you stay outside. I'm gonna stay inside. Whoever come to me, come we can play to Once you get to that point, you a defense because now y'all not only just got each other back, y'all are reinforcing what the coach is calling.
Speaker 1: You know, all of a sudden, you're not having a thinking.
Speaker 2: We don't think. You think long when you think wrong.
Speaker 3: So have you ever had a situation where it could be you could be someone else came to the hold and subject, I'm gonna make a play, and then they made we do that all the time.
Speaker 2: He can't the bars. That's right. We come to the like, man, I'm finish it on this stay.
Speaker 4: We're not backpalling, Like, yeah, he gets two picks and he know he finna get play of the game and.
Speaker 5: No, come hold up here, and I had like nine tas and no picks.
Speaker 2: This is the player of the game. And it just made him feel so bad. Loud bring that out, man.
Speaker 3: So you said something two, which is we were walking over here before we got ready for the show, and you said it's been quiet on the defense, which means that's good news.
Speaker 1: They're just doing work.
Speaker 5: They're putting their head down. Yeah, it's it's you know a lot of not a lot of noise in the off season. With what you try to do in the off season is reducing noise and just focus on tasking hand that's just to learn and playbook, figure out how we're gonna get better work on the little things, you know, challenge each other. Different things, work on skills set, you know, and plus it also depends on smooth. To tell you, we had one off season where coach gives where we had to hit a lot like we were just like, man like, this is a season that we're gonna be a tougher team and so reducing the noise. And when you see teams that just you know what, they just come in and they're just business like that. You hear coaches talk about that all the time. Business like and that's what I like to see. Guys is coming in and do their job, work hard, they love each other, they have fun, but they're business like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, definitely.
Speaker 4: And this is this is the time I think you become a team because this is the time you get to practice with each other.
Speaker 2: But you also get to chill with each other, get the bun with each other. This is when you become friends.
Speaker 4: This time of the years when you actually I think become a team because about time we come back in the season store, it's time to work like the bun.
Speaker 2: The time is.
Speaker 3: All right, I'm gonna read an ad here and then we're gonna have a game amongst friends. Yes, sir, it has come up with our producer called Tasty Tuesday trivia.
Speaker 2: Okay, so trivia with tasting.
Speaker 1: I'm not looking forward to this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're not.
Speaker 3: Recycle Track Systems transforming the way the commercial businesses and communities manage waste and recycling. They combine the power of AI with threemium customer service to optimize waste pickup schedules, ensuring timely and efficient collections to keep our neighborhoods cleaner.
Speaker 10: And there it is.
Speaker 1: Visit rts dot com to learn more about how they can help your business managed waste more responsibly. Okay, here's the deal.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so you guys are teammates. We're teammates, your teammates, and you're responsible for each other. So you don't have an opportunity to answer the question as the moderator.
Speaker 1: If we lose, this is called bean boozled.
Speaker 3: Bean boozled, So if we lose, if we don't get the question right, we have to try one of these jelly beans.
Speaker 1: They could be good or they could be tearing.
Speaker 2: Tell us some of the flavors, sir, please.
Speaker 1: One is called booger.
Speaker 2: I just called it's a key, don't we've all ate boogers before At least, you don't really want to know what we liver and onions Like livering and onions ain't even good fresh.
Speaker 1: There is a cup over these jellymans. If you take that cup off, you can smell.
Speaker 4: The jelly bean stink, like at the end of the day, the jelly bean stink that says everything that you need to know. Like who said at home and said, you know what, I'm gonna make a candy and all that's gonna be nash and it's gonna say.
Speaker 1: You, and it's gonna take no effort. I'll just make something gross.
Speaker 2: Yeah, fought in the band?
Speaker 5: Yeah, all right, we gotta do this Smooth, all right, right, Well here the categories you got Washington Trivia, NFL Trivia, Fred Smoot, and Shawn Springs Trivia and random right now, So just like any game, I'm gonna warn you guys up real nice and easy. I pick something from the Shawn Springs and Fred Smooth. Oh okay, how many total tackles?
Speaker 2: No, no, no, not gonna do that.
Speaker 5: How many interceptions did Fred Smooth have in his first season playing in the NFL.
Speaker 1: Five I'm gonna trust you, ah.
Speaker 2: Are you going with that? Yeah? The answer is five. Alright, all right, it's a little tougher. Washington football trivia.
Speaker 5: Joe Gibbs was a coaching assistant from what team before taking over in Washington Temple?
Speaker 4: I don't know, Tampa Baby with Doug Williams nailed it wrong, San Diego.
Speaker 2: He was an assistant, Yes, but he was in Tampaa. No, no, no, San Diego.
Speaker 1: Buddy, do we ch have to take one with?
Speaker 2: Take one?
Speaker 1: I hope I get a good one. I'm not even gonna look.
Speaker 2: Oh, don't look, don't don't this is this is baby blue? What is this? Look at I need I will look? Is this baby blue? It could be two paste or berry bean?
Speaker 1: It was berry bean, it's two past.
Speaker 2: Red. What is that baby cherry oil? A boogery or pomegranate?
Speaker 1: I bet you're fine?
Speaker 2: What you got?
Speaker 10: Oh?
Speaker 2: Wait? Wait?
Speaker 10: Good? You good?
Speaker 2: Good?
Speaker 5: Next trivia question, I feel fish right? Next trivit cushion NFL. How many feet long is a football? Feel from in the end?
Speaker 1: Well, it's three feet in the yard twenty, so three hundred and sixty.
Speaker 2: No, if it's one hundred and twenty from gold post to gold post, okay.
Speaker 1: One hundred and twenty yards.
Speaker 7: Bye?
Speaker 2: I said long, I said feet long, one hundred and twenty feet long.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, one hundred and twenty yards long. Times because there's three feet in the yard, So three hundred and.
Speaker 5: Sixty feet with the answer three hundred sixty feet hundred six feet, that's fin aanswer.
Speaker 1: Oh man, I don't your face Shane, yes.
Speaker 3: Sixty God, because he's looking at me like every time I look at time, like he wants me to eat a terrible bean.
Speaker 2: All right, all right.
Speaker 5: In the section of random, what is the highest grossing film of all time? Not a gestion for it for inflation, could be Titanic?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: Is it an Avatar?
Speaker 2: Is Going with the Wind? Ain't a gross No? No, no, I was just I was just watching it. Hold on, hold on, give me one second.
Speaker 5: Hey, you gotta have a time, man, your highest grossing if y'all like five all time?
Speaker 2: You should know this. This is a good one. In game, in game, yeah, Marvel five four three, go for it. Final answer, Going with the Wind, It is Avatar. Jake's was you should have known it was Avatar? Go ahead, let's go. Okay, what we got? What we got? What you got there? Buddy? I don't know, but it looks boogery. That is a booger or your hair please.
Speaker 3: I wanted to they go to a kindergart and just get boogers from kids and put it in this thing that looks like it looks like.
Speaker 10: Oh oh.
Speaker 2: Oh, come on is this that could be this? Oh man, that tastes like a bell pepper god dry disclaimer. Or birthday cake?
Speaker 3: Okay, your birthday cake, come on, please be birthday caked.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm birthday cake.
Speaker 5: Okay, all right, that's what teammates a Oh that's trivia question.
Speaker 2: Now back to.
Speaker 5: Alright, alright, Washington football history. How many Heisman winners has Washington drafted?
Speaker 2: This is a good one.
Speaker 9: Mmm?
Speaker 1: How many?
Speaker 2: That's a pretty tough one, but it's easy to mm hmm. Jade Daniels r G three is one of the past, one one of the best.
Speaker 1: Uh, Sammy ba, I was gonna say win, didn't he win?
Speaker 2: I would give you all a hint. It's more than two.
Speaker 1: It's more than three, oh, Sammy r G three, Jaden who knows.
Speaker 2: When the running back one? Know why I received.
Speaker 3: Four?
Speaker 1: It's gotta be fo they gotta be four.
Speaker 2: That's for your finance. It was five. Let me name them.
Speaker 5: You were closed. Jane Daniels r G three. Desmond Howard is the guy you guys Ernie Davis, Oh my god, you missed Desmond. Come on, I thought you at least get Desmond if you.
Speaker 4: Because when you say Desmond Howard, you think green?
Speaker 2: Baby? Did you think green about Washington?
Speaker 10: Oh?
Speaker 2: God, I want to know what is this?
Speaker 5: Oh red, that's a nice one. That could be old bandage or pomegranate.
Speaker 2: Oh bandage like bandage? Yeah, with blood on it?
Speaker 6: Yeah, my god, you need a tennis shot, bro I got.
Speaker 5: Oh that could be bad. That could be that looks like a be dead fish, dead fish or strawberry banana smooth.
Speaker 1: There's no way this is strawberry banana smooth.
Speaker 4: It looks very don't stop getting get it's not bad.
Speaker 2: What you got was a strawberry. Oh nice, It looked terrible. One I had was just it was disease. And the one more, one more, one more.
Speaker 5: We're gonna give you an easy one. Fresh Moot and Sean Springs Trivia.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay.
Speaker 2: How many tackles that Fresh Moot have in his career? Three ninety one or something like that. You're that more than that, man.
Speaker 4: You don't have to tackle when you don't let people kiss the ball. That's what I was always talking. Come on, this is this is Freds moot.
Speaker 3: This is you.
Speaker 2: T get telly out four hundred and one tackles.
Speaker 5: Alright, I give you, I give you. I make it easier. It's somewhere between. It's under four fifty, but it's above four hundred.
Speaker 2: Okay, did I say it for twenty nine?
Speaker 1: Four thirty seven for twenty nine?
Speaker 2: Let's do it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it was four hundred and forty six. That was pretty impressive. Almost four hundred and fifty tackles.
Speaker 2: Now here's the question, smove, I picked the one that you should know your own stats. Man, I gotta give you the You gotta play for it not knowing your own stats.
Speaker 10: You gotta.
Speaker 2: I didn't unless you want to double it. Nothing unless you want to do double.
Speaker 5: Because I knew I just picked a booger. Alright, NFL trivia, now this this is good. Y'all got no football for this one. Who is the only coach who win both at n C double A Football National Championship.
Speaker 2: And the Super Bowl.
Speaker 1: Jimmy Johnson got to be Jimmy Johnson. Only gotta be Jimmy.
Speaker 2: Jam the Hurricanes Cowboy.
Speaker 10: Here it is.
Speaker 1: Oh, Barry Switzer too, he did well?
Speaker 5: No, Berry's wait, no, Barry Switzer won. No, do you want to Oklahoma National Championship? I don't know if Jimmy won a national champion.
Speaker 2: Jimmy absolutely.
Speaker 1: And Barry Switzer yeah, and Berry Switzer.
Speaker 2: Come on with your answers. What you got on your paper?
Speaker 5: Okay, we can't use that because their sorcers was bad. But the answer was gonna be Pete Carroll. Good job, Oh Pete Carroll. Y'all, so I made up for it, so we even y'all don't eat the bad ones. Now we gotta go back. So you made up for Okay, y'all made up for y'all made up for it, all right? Random the most Who is the most followed person on Instagram in the world, in the world.
Speaker 2: You should know this, You of all people should know this. No could be Taylor, I can say Taylor's will.
Speaker 1: Could be Kim Kardashian though, Jane.
Speaker 2: No, come on, Oh all right, what about the soccer player Ronaldo? But uh uh yes, the pretty one. Ronaldo's a pretty one. Who you going with? Is lebron could be Taylor Swift. I don't know. I'm not influence and I'm just saying.
Speaker 3: Who you got jinx the most followed person, It's gotta be a woman because women get more well. I think women are much on Instagram more than guys. But also, what job does this person do that makes everybody in the world? Won't them the follow them? Is it a sports guy? It ain't politics? Is it a movie actor, actress? I will, I will say this and this is you got? You got four more seconds in the side after you do this. You guys have named that person Taylor's will five or Ronaldo three?
Speaker 2: Two? Tennis Swift one. Who you're going with? I'm going with Ronaldo? He going with y'all gotta pick. Got to pick you can Ronaldo? Can we split it? And whoever loses you have to take? Who you got? It was Ronaldo? Oh was it? Yes?
Speaker 5: I like I like I like smooth things. He was like, you gotta take the job. Soccer is even bigger than you.
Speaker 2: That's a good point, baby Blue. When we got two places, because I ate one of those. It could be two paces or Barry be Verry Blue toothpaste. Yeah one, b it's not I mean you have toothpaste opened up. The sinuses could have been a lot worse. Yeah, there it is, Fellers for the trivia. You guys are wonderful. I like, I like, I really thought you had avatar. Jakes was on avatar. We actually called that. Every answer.
Speaker 5: Well, you weren't close to your own stats. That's I said, for a hundred not I was right there. Alright, let me ask you how many techs did you make in your career?
Speaker 2: You don't know, That's what I'm telling you. I get to you end the other day. He doesn't know. Inside, we'll do it again.
Speaker 3: Makes The views and opinions expressed by our podcast guests and or hosts are their own and do not necessarily reflect the views or positions of the Washington Commanders or any of their representatives.