Speaker 1: What's happened?
Speaker 2: Everybody?
Speaker 3: Welcome into a Monday Nation of Texans all access from the Hyundai Texans Radio studio, a very happy studio after what happened Saturday afternoon at Energy Stadium. The Texans beat the Chargers thirty two to twelve. And yes, the Chargers were a three point favorite. It was a bye week. All the noise all week long didn't matter. The Texans were locked in, especially after six to nothing. I mean the outscored the Chargers thirty two to six from two minutes left in the second quarter on. That's amazing. That's the way you play ball. And you gotta do it again at an even higher level this week against the Kansas City Chiefs. Appreciate you being with me John Harris, football analyst, sideline reporter for your Houston Texans. And we're gonna kick off the show with our good friend Andre where he hits the great stuff with me and Mark.
Speaker 1: Here we go.
Speaker 4: Let's talk about that throw that drived ninety nine yards CJ. The Xavier Hutchinson play. He really got going. What do you think is going through his head at that point as he found a rhythm that we haven't seen consistently this year. It's been there at times, but man, it was really there rocking from that point forward.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I would equate it to a basketball player that, you know, struggling in a game shooting and then all of a sudden, you hit a shot that gets you going. And I think that's what the erran snap over his head and then him grabbing it and going to X with it for the big game. That kind of got him going. That was the wake up call. He started throwing dots after that.
Speaker 2: It was it was just.
Speaker 5: Kind of fun to watch he and Nico fully take advantage of a matchup and that maybe the first time in two years that I've seen Bobby Slowick actually go after somebody. And Fulton was the guy number seven for the Chargers. They just started to target. They knew they could get inside on him anytime they wanted. Nico was just too physical for him to handle and that got CJ going as well, And it was just it was fun to watch the entire second half of how they played football on both sides along with special teams.
Speaker 1: Do you remember what I said, Mark, You and I were kind of talking. I can't remember. If you're on the air off and you asked me about Fulton. Do you remember what I told you about Fulton.
Speaker 6: Not as good as he wants to be?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I said something that nature, probably in a different way, but yeah, we having seen him with the Titans, they're like, okay, well let's go after him.
Speaker 1: But yeah, Trey's right, Trey.
Speaker 3: The scramble I said earlier, and not to be contrarian, but I'm like, I felt like the scramble a little bit later really charged up almost as much as to throw to X. I felt like the scramble because the way that CJ got up and he flexed and the crowd fed off of that. It felt like there was this crescendo of crowd noise after the scramble that was almost even more than when he dropped the snap and then found X. How much do you think that play kind of charged up everybody on the sideline when he took off. It's not something he's done a ton. He does it, but not a ton, But how much do you think that play? The scramble kind of charged everybody up as well?
Speaker 5: I think you know it was needed at the time, and so when everybody's kind of watching the game at that point, there's always a point in the game where the defense stops just being the defense and they become the team and the and vice versa.
Speaker 2: And by that, I mean, you.
Speaker 5: Know, you're on the sideline and you're going over stuff with Demico and whomever else, and your position. Coaches is now they're watching the game, and so they want to know what the offense is doing. And all of a sudden they see CJ break up play like that. Now it's like, okay, we're playing, well, let's take it to another level.
Speaker 2: It feeds and.
Speaker 5: Permeates through the entire team. And so that's what that play did. I don't know if it charged him because he needed charging before the completion the X. And once that happened, it allowed all the other stuff after that to follow Trey.
Speaker 4: This defense. What they did to Justin Herbert, my goodness. And it all starts up front with the pressure, right, those guys just collapsing the pocket, making life a little bit less comfortable for him.
Speaker 6: How did you see it?
Speaker 5: Yeah, And there wasn't a whole lot of blitzing being done. It was just, you know, I'm gonna beat my guy to the quarterback. They're getting tremendous push in the middle and then on from the outsides. And we talked about this at nausea that we felt like the team of the two best edge rushers that gets home the most was going to win the ballgame. And I'll tell you what if they weren't getting home, they were close to getting there where he got uncomfortable, he made throws late, they clouded his vision. It did everything they needed to do up front in terms of dominating the line of scrimmage. And by the way they you know, we talk about the pass rush so much, they didn't allow very much to go on on in the ground game as well either in the second half. So it was it was just a fun game to watch. After they finally got that thing, kicks started. You're trying to rev up the old motorcycle and they won't start, and then finally, you know, you kick it one more time. Kicks started one more time, and it fires. It was a beautiful sound.
Speaker 3: Hey, did you guys know that Kamari last year ran a four to six to combine.
Speaker 6: J'll know that. Yeah, he's way he's slow.
Speaker 1: He ran he ran a four walls.
Speaker 2: You know that. I hate to use a cowboy reperend.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he only.
Speaker 5: Went down as one of the best corners in the league, and it's that's the fastest he ever ran was four to six.
Speaker 3: You know, Dre, I felt like that that play he makes, he's done that twice now because I want to say in the Lions game, we turned the ball over and he picked off the very next pass or something close to it. In the Lions game in the south end zone, he did it again. But the play to me that he makes on Darius Davis, the Herbert swings it out to him, and there's really one guy that can make the tackle, and Kamari he makes as good a form tackle as you're gonna make out in space. I think that being for a TfL. But what this guy is doing opposite Derek Stingley, because we're finding out teams aren't gonna challenge Stingley, but they're going after or gonna try to go after Kamari and he's answering the bell, Dre, how important do you think that has been to this defense that Kamari has stepped up and giving them both run and pass.
Speaker 1: The play that he's given him this year.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think the run has come along as the season's progressed.
Speaker 2: He is a willing hitter.
Speaker 5: I will say that he does not shy away from contact. He likes explosive plays. I played with the guy at the University of Houston. I bet you he couldn't break four six And Johnny Jackson went on to the San Francisco forty nine ers and won a couple of Super Bowls while he was out there. But you talk about a tremendous athlete hand and eye coordination, Kamari reminds me of him so so much. You get him on a basketball court, He's gonna make all the steals. He's gonna make plays in whatever game that he's in because he's so dang athletic.
Speaker 2: And I think they've gotten it right on both sides.
Speaker 5: Obviously with Stingley and now Lassiter, Bullock is a stepping stone Murray. When they needed a play, he stepped up and made a play. So everybody in that secondary, not only Kamara, it was everyone making plays in the secondary while the defensive line in the front seven were doing their things. But you need a player like that where you just can't explain how he gets from A to B. But guys that can play with pads on. It's why the forty isn't a necessary or the end game when it comes to can you play or not? If you can get from A to B with pads on, you can play as fast as a guy.
Speaker 2: That runs four to three.
Speaker 5: And that guy that runs four to three put pads on him and he turns into a four to six for seven to the guy because he doesn't know how to carry his pads.
Speaker 4: So this was the number one scoring defense in the league. You put up thirty two. I know that nine came from the two point conversion turn.
Speaker 2: All right, let's say.
Speaker 4: You're right, because if you're the number one scoring offense in the league, if the defense has a couple of touchdowns in there, they count on your numbers. Okay, So whatever, you put up thirty two points and dre At the end of the day, you look up, Nico has a.
Speaker 1: Team record for a.
Speaker 4: Receiver in the postseason one hundred and twenty two yards on seven catches. Mix in one hundred and six yards. CJ goes over too eighty. The offense did its thing. But let's talk about Nico for a moment. This is a rhetorical question. How good is he? That's pretty good. That's pretty good stuff. That is pretty good stuff from number twelve on Saturday.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'd go all the way back to training camp. There's just been a look about him since the year started. He had a tremendous offseason where he just looks the part and you could tell he had set himself up to have a big year with everything that was coming in around him, Tank.
Speaker 2: Was going to be back. Here comes Diggs.
Speaker 5: Am I still the man and you see him at training camp and how he worked, how he's gotten his body in shape. He is a specimen now when you see him pre game, you see him out in practice, the guy looks like he can just take over a game, and now he believes it. So you get the physical part, match in the mental and he's playing with a tremendous amount of confidence.
Speaker 2: That's how you turn into a Pro Bowl player.
Speaker 5: Now that that's exactly what's happened, and he knows there's certain corners in this league that I can take advantage of. Throwing an extra year of experience where you know how to watch film and attack guys. Now your game goes to an even higher level. And I think that's what's happened with him. He's a tremendous player that you can lean on weekend and week out.
Speaker 3: I wonder if it's going to be like for Harbaugh to sit over there and watch his guy guy he recruited, brought to Michigan just Waylane just putting it on him. Because Nico's fantastic, so is Joe. And that leads me to this question, speaking about Joe and the run game and the way they were able to finish well this we're both y'all. Do you think that this current combination Laramie, Titus, Jarrett, Juice and Blake do you think this is the best combination a that we put on the field and be the best one going forward?
Speaker 2: Drag, I think it's the best so far to this point.
Speaker 5: And you know, I don't know how you disrupt it. You get a little more athletic, you get a little more youth, which scrugs the right guard, and I don't know how much how much more not to you know, pick on Shack when he's injured, but I don't know how much you were gonna get there, how much more? Patterson seems to be playing well at center and uh.
Speaker 2: And Titus is settling in and left guard.
Speaker 5: So you have the other two components with Blake Fisher at right tackle.
Speaker 2: I've always liked Blake. I think he's athletic.
Speaker 5: I think, you know what, he really makes his mind up that this is what he you know, he wants to be really good at this, and he's still a young player. There's us so there's some things that are important to him as as well. But when he makes up his mind from a maturity standpoint that this is what he wants to do and he wants to be good at it, he the you know it, there's no ceiling for him. He can be as good as he wants to be. And so, yes, this is the best offensive line combination certainly that I've seen this year. But it may be that way going forward. And then you start to fill in around these guys.
Speaker 4: Mark the way I like to manage. I would ask CJ and Joe, what do you guys think? What do you guys think of what's up front? Ask him crows are not around, I would ask them because knows CJ will tell you who's who he's confident with at what spot and where the trouble comes from, and what he's thinking about. And look, that's not the final decision maker. But to me, I think the input of those guys is really important because they're the ones who have to deal with it directly.
Speaker 6: And you know, we all we are.
Speaker 4: All affected by what happens with the play of any position on the field.
Speaker 1: Dre Here we go to Kansas City.
Speaker 4: The last time they played a meaningful game was Pittsburgh, and that's the only game they've played since playing the Texans that was meaningful Christmas Day. They played Pittsburgh on Christmas Day, four days after they played the Texans, and that was it. So by the time we played them, it's twenty three days later that they play a game with quote their starters, And here we go against Kansas City, a team that is hungry for another Super Bowl and they feel like it's their birthright to get back.
Speaker 6: What do you think of the matchup?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, when you come out of it as the number one seed in the regular season, you're thinking we're going back. But they have sat for a while, so it's not the same team. I think it's paramount that the Texans get an early lead. If you can go up by let's say ten points, you get a ten to nothing lead in the first quarter, by the end of the first quarter. Now you've got them doubt whether or not they should have sat. They're thinking about everything else except what's in front of them.
Speaker 7: Now.
Speaker 5: I know that we've been there before and things have happened where you jump out.
Speaker 2: Twenty four or nothing, and then it happened and it collapsed.
Speaker 5: But that's a totally different team, same quarterback on the other side, but a totally different team on this side. So I think it's paramount that you get a lead early. You may compress a little bit, make them start to doubt whether or not they should have been sitting or playing, and things of that sort. But because that's gonna be what a little over three weeks of just not having timing the speed of the game, and it certainly speeds up when you get to the playoffs. I talk about this with you guys all the time, that in the preseason there's a pace. When the regular season starts, there's a pace that gets a little faster, and when the playoffs start, everybody you're not saving anybody anymore.
Speaker 2: It's why you see quarterbacks running.
Speaker 5: Josh Allen running quarterback draws and powers and things of that sort.
Speaker 2: The same with Jaden Daniels. Yes, last night in the game against Tampa.
Speaker 5: There's no more saving it because it's a loser, go home. And so I think you get a lead in Kansas City, Hey, you empty the tank, no Man, and see if you can get that thing to the finish line.
Speaker 3: On the other side of the AFC bracket, it is Superman against Action Jackson. As the ESPN put it, it's Josh Allen versus Lamar Jackson. The last time they met in the playoffs, it was Josh Allen. That was the twenty twenty season. Josh Allen and the Bills beat the Ravens. But there's one big difference. The King resides now in Baltimore, and the Ravens might be I don't even know what they might be. They are the best team right now because it feels like nobody is stopping what they're doing.
Speaker 1: But they have to go to Buffalo.
Speaker 3: When these teams met this year in Baltimore, Buffalo got hammered. Dre How do you see this Baltimore Buffalo game. I don't know if anybody's gonna get hammered, but I do think this could be outside of our.
Speaker 1: Game, is gonna be the best game of the week. What are your thoughts about Buffalo and Baltimore.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no doubt, I think it will be.
Speaker 5: But I just want to know, how is this even a conversation with who's the MVP? And it could be a game where it's a de facto MVP game with the winner takes on the MVP. To me, it's already one when you throw forty something touchdown passes. Whatever he's done on the ground, he's outperformed years and where.
Speaker 2: He's been the.
Speaker 5: MVP in two prior years, how do how is Lamar Jackson not the MVP of the league? And so h what is Josh Allen thrown like twenty eight touchdown passes? Yeah, they've won games, but uh, it's it's it's My.
Speaker 2: Vote would go to Lamar Jackson.
Speaker 5: And as far as the game goes, I think they're a team that's built that can go anywhere. If Buffalo, if the type of weather awaits the Ravens that they had in uh in Buffalo yesterday or whatever they played day before yesterday, Uh, then the Ravens have a big time chance. It's because they are built for cold weather. They're built for just about anything that and I would think even more so than the Bills, who would have the advantage of playing at home.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Look, I thought that Josh Allen was putting together an MVP campaign, but Lamar.
Speaker 2: Look at the stats.
Speaker 6: He passed them down the stretch. Yeah. Yeah, because when.
Speaker 2: I don't know if I'd rather be Action Jackson or Superman. I think Superman more powers.
Speaker 3: Yeah, see me, Baltimore favored by one point on the road.
Speaker 1: On the road.
Speaker 4: Well, I understand why because you feel like, all right, the Bills are going to make plays, but will they be able to stop the Ravens?
Speaker 6: Just stop them?
Speaker 4: You know, there's no question the Bills can make plays. Look the quarter and one more note on the quarterbacks here, Josh Allen likes to run them with the football. We've seen it, Okay, it happens, Lamar Jackson. Last I checked. Yes, he throws it at a high level. No one's saying these guys can't throw the ball, but they like to use the run in their game.
Speaker 6: So with c JR.
Speaker 5: Think about this for a second. You just talked about those two guys. Johnny talked about the effect of cj when he pulled it down, and maybe that's what I think it was. Twenty seven yards and how that just got everybody.
Speaker 2: Fired up and going. Everybody's using if you have.
Speaker 5: One, you're using them to run with because now you're forcing the defense to defend the entire field as well as an eleventh man. And it kind of goes to the advantage because you know what's going on. That guy knows exactly what's happening around man when to take off.
Speaker 2: That's the thing about it. It's not just taking off out.
Speaker 5: Of necessity, it's win how can I help the team to do it? Yeah, and so when you have that weapon, that type of weapon, boy doesn't give you an advantage.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's that's what I'm thinking with CJ.
Speaker 4: Like he has to use that a little more well carefully of course, but he has to be able to implement that. And I know he's done it, but that was so effective the other night.
Speaker 6: I mean, look at Jaydon.
Speaker 5: This was the prize j Yeah, it's a surprise of CJ because you just don't see him do it a whole lot, but it's there. And when he takes off, it's not like guys are running him down, you know, he is. He's got some athletic trades to him that I think fans maybe are seeing for the first time, but I don't think it's any surprise to his teammates.
Speaker 6: All Right, Drey looking forward to it. Can't wait for Saturday.
Speaker 5: Let's do it, man, get us a good barbecue dinner and yeah, they can have a nice call.
Speaker 1: Damn right, can't wait for that one.
Speaker 3: Looking forward to another trip to Arrowhead on Friday for the game on Saturday. Three point thirty is the kick Saturday Games, Lions Commanders after hours. That's gonna be after hours. So we're going Texans in Chiefs in Kansas City. Then you got Lions and Commanders. On Sunday, you've got mamar v Josh Ravens, g Bills, and you've got the Eagles against the winner of tonight's game that you'll be here right here on sports Radio six ' ten. You've got the Rams and Vikings in Glendale, Arizona. Winner of that will play the Eagles. That's gonna be your final eight. Texans, Chiefs, Lions, Commanders, Bill's Ravens Eagles winner Tonight. Texans are one of the final eight yet again. Hopefully they could be one of the final four, and then one of the final two and then one of one boy. That would be awesome, especially with it in New Orleans this year. Okay, we get back a guy that has seen many of those Super Bowls when John McClain he joins us next right here in Texans All Access.
Speaker 1: All right, everybody, let's get it done.
Speaker 3: On a Monday edition of Texans All Access from the Hundai Texans Radio studio. I am John Harris, football analyst, sideline reporter for your Houston Texans, and it's time to talk to our pal, John McClain, the General, the Hall of Famer man. We had good stuff to talk about, which on not just with the Saturday went over the Chargers, but the New England Patriots have a new head coach and we know him. Mike Vrabel will get John's thoughts about that and all of it right here.
Speaker 4: Let's bring on John McLean here, the General. So Texans get the dub. They were under dogs, the world seemingly picking against them, but they prevailed.
Speaker 6: How to just see it? How's it going?
Speaker 7: I certainly piked against them. I beg the Chiefs to win, I mean the Chiefs. I begged the Chargers to win twenty seven to twenty. I'd never seen anything this season. That made me think the Texans were going to play a complete game like that totally dominate the Chargers up front on both sides of the ball. You know, after that slow start, I'm sure with what five series in a row didn't do anything. And it's like I wrote my column today for Houston Texans dot Com that played by Stroud on this ramble and the thirty four yard completion will go down as one of the greatest in franchise history because it turned around the team. It turned around strout that had gotten off to a bad start. It was amazing how that one play could transform a team defense was already playing great, and man, oh man, what it did for the offense and that last series in which they had thirteen consecutive runs Joe Maxon had eleven of them, I think like fifty five yards. That in the offensive line dominated the Chargers up front, and the Chargers are noted for having one of the most physical lines in front sevens in football, and the Texans just splattered them all over the turf. And with Joe Mixon scored at the end on that seventeen yard run to top it all off, that was amazing and it was an afternoon of amazing achievements the Texans. And I'll say one thing about this Saturday's game. If the Texans have played at Baltimore, I can't imagine anybody would think they could beat the Ravens considering their zero to five against Lamar Jackson at none have been close but Kansas City. If the defense plays the way it played, especially with the pressure. And remember they didn't get to my homes at all in that twenty seven to nineteen loss. But if they do, they got a chance to shock the world.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'll be nice to them to shock the world. One of the things they're going to.
Speaker 3: Have to do is find their offense earlier than when CJ dribbled the ball on the backfield, got it and then found Exavier Hutchinson. And we talked about the scramble. What do you think do you think that played? John just kind of unlocked the box for CJ when he makes the throw to X And why do you think that was?
Speaker 7: If that is the case, well, I guess we should give Jared Patterson some credit because if the n's not snapped the ball when he was supposed to, and Stroud admitted he was looking at the coverage didn't never what happened. I don't know what a play like that does. And Dimiko said, you know, ignited the entire team. But the defense had been playing great before that bell them out on that after that turnover limited the Chargers to a field goal. But whatever it did, it transformed the offense. And if you go back and look from the time they got the ball deepen their territory and faced third and sixteen and still managed to score a touchdown and the field goal during the short time limit. Man oh Man was that impressive. And another big play in the game of big plays was CJ's twenty seven yard run. I think a lot of people around the country didn't think he could run like that. I'm wondering if Bobby Slowick, who she deserves a lot of credit after he's gotten most of the plane. So the offensive struggles and inconsistency this season that some of the calls he made that worked out I think were terrific. And I wonder, now, when you see so many quarterbacks who are running the ball effectively, if the Chiefs don't have to beware of it, or Bobby might actually have a couple of designed bootlegs where He's not in a lot of traffic. And I'd feel better about Stroud if he learned to slide like he's going into second base, not going down on his knees or head first. Just act like you're stealing the base.
Speaker 4: You know what number jumps out to me about Kansas City's last meaningful game against Pittsburgh, It was four days after the Texans and Chiefs played at Arrowhead.
Speaker 6: The Steelers lost that game.
Speaker 4: They ran for two hundred two yards, and it wasn't like there was a huge chunk. The longest run of the day was twenty two yards, and it wasn't like Wilson did a ton of it. He had fifty five, but Harris and Warren at seventy four and seventy one respectively. In general, is this Joe Mixon ground attack? Is this something they could take on the road with them along with their defense and have it be a huge factor at Arrowhead?
Speaker 7: Well, you would think, though, Now Joe had gone what five games out one hundred yard game, and now he just got his eight seven during the season, and so the Chiefs are going to be ganging up on him. That's why I'd like to see Stroud not just run play action with mixing, but take it and roll out, giving the option to run or throw. Remember when Matt shab used to do that so well under Kubiek, we never thought about Matt running. When he did, he was like a stork. But Straud can turn it on and they're gonna have to do something to loosen up the Chiefs defensive defensive line in the front of seven because they're going to be gunning to stop Joe Mixon and get them in third and long. Texans were in third and nine or long ninety one times. That was the second most in the league to Cleveland, and they were able to largely avoid that against the Chargers. And this team's got to have so much confidence right now. And I think it's good that they've played at Arrowhead this season. They lost by eight points. They didn't sack my homes. I think what one time? And Oh, let me ask you guys a question. Was Christian Harris hurt he barely played or do you think that is a game plan?
Speaker 4: He was shaken up at one point, So I'm not sure what the status is going to be now.
Speaker 3: This is what I said going into the game, because everybody was like, oh, Christian Harris is in disease. I'm like, you're gonna take one of the best defenders you've had all year off the field. Well, exactly, Henry has been one of your three best defensive players this year and one of the defenses that has been excellent.
Speaker 1: You know, I think it's more that than anything else.
Speaker 3: And you know, look general, going into this game against Kansas City, you think back to last year against Baltimore, this team was not healthy. The D line in particular, they were not healthy at all. And now you're going in with a pretty healthy unit. And now you've got three healthy linebackers that you can use in the multitude ways. And oh yeah, by the way, Causease did get hit in that area, that's what that why he left?
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: I watched the game again Sunday, and as soon as I saw the replay from the sideline, I was.
Speaker 1: Like, oh, yeah, yeah, yeah, that's why he went out. But do you end up being okay?
Speaker 3: And I and I thankful because you know a lot of times I get the injury report from the sideline from Everett and he was like, you know, uh, you know, Joe Mixon questionable ankle. I mean, what would he has said to me about disease if that would have happened at that particular point. But general you mentioned it, how.
Speaker 1: Valuable falls yeah, footballs?
Speaker 3: How how valuable is the experience of going to Arrowhead just recently? And I know once we walk in that building, I know for a lot of people might be remembering what happened to Tank Dell. But how valuable do you think that experience is? Even though it's the playoffs? You've been there, you played before. I mean, look twenty nineteen, you had that same experience and then you got trounced.
Speaker 1: What do you think that experience is like for this year?
Speaker 3: Going back into Arrowhead, a place where he lost by eight, I.
Speaker 7: Think that's good, especially since it was late in the season. It's not like it was the first month and Chiefs turn it on. They're undeating it home this year. Of course, they only lost two games in the last one they just gave away, and they're trying to win that third Super Bowl and to win fifteen games. You think they'd been dominant. They didn't score thirty points. Texan's always scored thirty twice against the Patriots and the Cowboys. So everybody's saying take the under, and I think the weather is supposed to be right around freezing, which is pretty good because we remember that playoff game last year when it was like five degrees there, and so I think if you get anything dead's thirty above, that's that's good. And I think the crowd, the atmosphere, the sea of red, they've experienced it before. It won't be a big deal. And there are still a few players around the experience getting a twenty three then nothing. Was it twenty three to nothing in.
Speaker 4: The playoffs twenty four.
Speaker 7: So like Laramie Tonzel tits Hour, John Wicks, timey Pa barn there's players around that have done that. I was thinking while I was watching the game, seeing Jalen Petrie and Jimmy Ward, Tank Dale, Stefan Diggs and those four guys being out for the season and what they could have mane to this team. We got to give a shout out to Eric Murray. Eric Murray has been a backup. Was he on the twenty nineteen team?
Speaker 1: Nope, he gotten around here.
Speaker 7: He's been around a while, and he led the team in tackles. He had his pick six. He did a great job because that Paul was tipped and a lot of defensive backs they can't handle tip boss and he got it and he juggled it for an instant and then took off, So we got to give him a shout out. Another one Deniko Audrey Wiley inconsistent this year after not playing anywhere like he played in the rest of his career because he started off with that suspension. He played a great game, made a huge contribution. Had five pressures, Anderson had seven, Danil Hunter had five according to Next genstad So that's why they gave Audrey a two year contract, and to think about the depth in that defensive line. You know, we didn't hear from Derek Barnett. Previous game was all Derek Barnett. They're healthy and they're good, and I think they're going to create some habit for the Chiefs running game and then try to get my homes in obvious passing situations and not let him make too many off schedule plays.
Speaker 4: That's the tough part with him, and then he takes off runs with it and makes you pay loads up with another set of downs and it's just a big nightmare with him. But they have the defense to deal with it. So Baltimore is to deal with going on the road to Buffalo. What's going to happen in that one? As this is going to be a hotly contested affair. The Ravens look unbeatable right now, but are they? The Bills are really good at home.
Speaker 6: What do you think.
Speaker 7: The battle of the MVPs. I think Lamar Jackson will get it over Josh Allen. It'd be weird to have a second team All Pro get the MVP over the first team All Pro. And that's why they made this the late game, biggest audience. I like the Texans playing that early Saturday game because we can watch the Saturday night game. I like it and it's their time and I thought, well, there's no way they're going to put Patrick Mahomes in the early window, but they did, and uh, the weather won't be as cold as I as well as going to be cold, but not as colds it would have been as the temperature drop. So I like the slide there in. I like the team they're playing, which sounds weird, and anything's better than Baltimore. And after what we've seen Baltimore five wins in a row. The adjustments did they made in their secondary when they were struggling, has worked great. They've not given up hardly any points. There's no way I'm picking against them. I think they got They're better on both sides of the ball. Yes, Buffalo has that on advantage, but I pick Baltimore to win the Super Bowl before the season.
Speaker 2: I'm riding with the Ravens.
Speaker 1: John.
Speaker 3: The Patriots have made a decision on a head coach. His name is Mike Vrabel. I don't know if you've heard of him. What are your thoughts about him taking over New England.
Speaker 7: I used to play tight end for them, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think so caught a couple of touchdowns.
Speaker 7: Well, that is such a natural for him to go there. He has Drake May, he has and a lot of people are saying Josh McDaniels is going to be hired as the coordinator, which I think would be great because he's a good coordinator. The terrible head coach that Mac Jones. Rookie year was his last year there. Mac Jones led them to a ten and six record, and we're Wow, this guy is going to be really good. Now he's in Jacksonville. So Mike goes in there and he's got almost one hundred million dollars in free agent money, Elliot Wolf and Lonzo is Smith of the top personnel people. I think there couldn't have been a better situation. Fans in media wanted him. He knows the owner very well, Robert Kraft, other than pulling the plug on Grod Mayo, and I think everybody thinks that was a good move. Now he's been a stable owner, spends a lot of money, so I'm really happy for Mike. A lot of people in Tennessee wanted him fired after back to back losing records, and the longer he's gone, the better he looks.
Speaker 4: We'll get a more formal prediction later, but Lions commander is next week, and your thoughts on what's going to go on tonight in Glendale, Arizona.
Speaker 7: A lot of people are picking the Rams, and I guess it was because the Lions beat up on the Vikings so bad. But the Vikings won fourteen games. I'm still going with the Vikings, and I'm wondering what happens if Sam Donald has two bad games in a row at the end of the season against the Warrions and then in the playoffs, will the Vikings say well now that's the Sam Donald he signed his backup or will they think that's just a mirage of pame fifty million a year? And I think he's going to bounce back and play well. Their defense is good, it's going to be well balanced. I feel terrible for the Rams, they can't play at home, but we understand the circumstances. A lot of people be pulling for the Rams for that reason. I can't wait the James or loopside except for Washington and Tampa they usually are.
Speaker 2: But it's still so exciting.
Speaker 4: All right, General, thanks a lot for joining us. We'll catch up later in the week.
Speaker 1: Thank you, No, thank you, General Man.
Speaker 3: I gotta think the McClain household was jumping on Sunday night when Zang and zales joinked in the game winning field goal. John's wife is a huge Commanders fan. So Commander's moving on. Texans moving on, and we will move on to our good friend ind Kalu.
Speaker 1: That's coming up next.
Speaker 3: Right here in Texans All auxis, we got one final segment of this edition of Texans All Access from the Texans Radio studio. I am John Harris, your host, now joining us my pal my co analyst on preseason games and great friend Indie Kalu chopped it up with Mark and myself this good stuff.
Speaker 1: Take a listen, target friend Indie Kalu.
Speaker 6: So, how is your evening Saturday?
Speaker 8: What a great evening and what a great morning. Just to and it just goes to show you know how great the NFL, the Houston Texas are. People just wake up with a smile on your face. Obviously there's real life things going on, but when your team goes out there and plays the way they played, the weather feels a little better. I'm handling the cold a little better. I mean, everything just seems a little bit better thanks to those Houston Texas.
Speaker 3: Okay, Indy, we've talked about the game, but one of the things we really haven't talked about was the can of whoop pass that Willie Anderson, Danil Hunter, Deniko Autry, Mario Edwards, Tim Settle on what that defensive line did against.
Speaker 1: The Chargers offense line. I'd actually seen.
Speaker 3: A tweet during the week I think make our buddy Troy Texas Cap was dealing with somebody was talking about how the Chargers tackles were elite, but Anderson and Hunter were just above.
Speaker 1: Average and he said.
Speaker 3: The guy continued on and said, they'll have a combined they'll maybe give up.
Speaker 1: They'll give up less than three pressures. Come one. They gave up for each each.
Speaker 3: Your thoughts on what the defensive line did on Saturday against the Charters.
Speaker 8: I mean, I'm not even sure who you quoted, John, but for them to say that Will Anderson and Daniel Hunter are just above average, I mean that means they don't know anything about football or d line play. And when you look at the interceptions, when you look at some of the force throws, yes, you credit the DBS and we can talk about them all day every day for what they've done for the interceptions and having Justin Herbert throw more interceptions in one game than he did all season.
Speaker 2: But a lot of that was the pressure up front.
Speaker 8: A lot of that was him bouncing around, throwing off his heel and not getting comfortable in the pocket because of the gentleman that you just mentioned. And even when it doesn't show up on the stat line, like for Daniel Hunter, when you watch the game, you feel his impact and Will Anderson is a star in the man. It reminds me of what the Houston Texans have in regards to edge rushers or d lineman the embarrassment of riches. It kind of reminds me of with Green Bay quarterbacks. You go from breath varv to Aaron Rodgers to Jordan Love with the Houston Texans to go from Mario Williams to JJ Watt to Will Anderson. You know what I'm saying, Like, that's that one position where you have some greatness and Will Anderson is the next in line, and he's living up to all expectations. And I love the humility in his game. And what I mean by that is as great of a player as he is, you can tell when you watch him, Oh, he's working on other moves. He's not just resting on the success that he's had over the last couple of years. Like you see other moves that you didn't see last year. And if he continues to do that, you know, I'd never like to predict Hall of Fame because you have to play ten plus years and you know the numbers are against you in that with injuries. But he has the ability in the mindset to be one of the greats in this game.
Speaker 4: By the way, we are on YouTube on Texans, mondays on the Sports Radio six to ten feet, And I apologize I have not been looking at the chat responses because I said, what should the nickname.
Speaker 6: Be of the play?
Speaker 1: Cafe? What did they say?
Speaker 6: Uh?
Speaker 4: Well, a lot of people are saying snap back or snap out of it? Not bad, and then some people are saying they never look here, like you never look at the chat responses.
Speaker 1: Sorry, I'm sorry, kind of pleasing.
Speaker 4: We got other things, but no, it's important and dy Klue is joining us. Andy, what do you think of that play? Should it have a name? What did it do for CJ? Strad for this offense? I thought it was a major turning point in this game.
Speaker 8: Oh, shouldn't have a name. I might have to go back to the thinking lab trash to treasure because it started off as a trash pad ended up being a treasure. So uh but I mean that does embody c J. Stroud because one thing about him, you talk about how cool he is. You know how he doesn't let things, he doesn't overthink the negative, and he doesn't get too high with the positive. So you have that bad snap. It would have been easy to just say that as a player, let me just fall on the snap, or or let me panic and try to do too much and then you really don't secure the ball and you end up kicking it away and the Chargers come away with the possession. But for him to just coolly, you know, pick it up and things had to bounce, right. We all know footballs don't bounce the way we want them to bounce, and when I was watching that play, it bounce right into his hands. But for him to just automatically go, okay, now I need to go pick up a first down and credit everyone else because no one else gave up on the play. Nico Collins made himself available. He found the soft spot in the defense, and you know he'll fight open, so you credit the entire team.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's no question one of the things that to me will stand out from this game. And I think it'll be one that maybe people forget because they'll remember that play from CJ to X and and all that and that drive and how the first half ended in the pick sixes and stingling.
Speaker 2: Did did I say, Nico?
Speaker 6: It's yeah you did, but it's okay, we got it.
Speaker 2: Yeah we got I'm so used to say.
Speaker 3: But yeah, yeah, Nico is fantastic, And we'll probably forget about that too.
Speaker 8: But indeed, for those that are listening, I did watch the game. I'm just so used to they'll go ahead.
Speaker 1: Sorry, Nine eleven in the morning is early for everybody in a sense.
Speaker 3: Indeed, the run game in the second half, in particular the fourth quarter. You know the drive at the end of the game where Joe, they just like, leap it, give it to Joe, Just give it to Joe, give it to Joe, and.
Speaker 1: He just started hammering.
Speaker 3: And you know Joe at times this year, a number of times places goes supposed to go right, he bounces it left because he sees something.
Speaker 1: He is run through, guys, and turned two into twenty.
Speaker 3: He's been responsible for a lot of what has gone on in the run game. What it felt like at the end of that game, Titus and company were getting some movement, They stayed at it, and they were the ones kind of.
Speaker 1: Taken over that fourth quarter.
Speaker 3: What'd you kind of think about how that happened in the fourth quarter, about how the run game really really clicked with this offense line.
Speaker 8: Again, you credit the offensive line for opening up the holes and giving Joe Mixon some daylight to hit. But just to let you know, what that that fourth quarter you talked about the fourth quarter. I received the text from Hugh Douglas, one of the best d linemens ever played for the Eagles and some are arguing in the NFL, and all he text was, Man, that dude's a beast. And I knew what he was talking about in the fourth quarter. And it's not just the you know, the big runs. I don't even think he broke like over twenty yards, but it's those four or five pickups, you know, eight yards, nine yards, ten yards. Those were demoralizing for a defense, especially that late in the game. I mean, that's why you brought in Joe Mixon. I still think that's one of the best under the radar free agent acquisitions from this pass free agency in the entire league.
Speaker 2: That doesn't get talked about enough.
Speaker 4: Well, I think Folly Fotacossi is a pretty good pickup as well. Deniko Autrey has a sack. You were able to hold them. They had some runs early.
Speaker 6: It was looking like, are you gonna be able to stop the run tonight? And they did.
Speaker 4: Eventually they stopped the run. Obviously they got the turnovers in the passing game, but slowing down that running game.
Speaker 6: JK.
Speaker 4: Dobbins we talked about he was banged up last week in practice and he definitely did not look good against this defense as the game war on. That's a big factor as well, Indy being able to slow down that running game, because you're gonna need to do that against Pacheck Go this week against Kareem Hunt. You've got to be able to stop that Kansas City running game, or at least slow it down.
Speaker 8: Yeah, and I just stop it, but make sure you don't have those explosive plays because early on and I don't know what their stat line ended up, but there was a couple of runs from JK. Dobbins, even Gus Edwards also, oh man, they're running hard.
Speaker 2: You know. JK.
Speaker 8: Dobbins was born in Houston and raised about an hour away from Houston, so you know this, you thought it was going to be a good homecoming. But he didn't have the explosive play outside of Lad Mcconkeye's obviously that big eighty six yard touchdown reception. That they limited the explosive plays, and I think anytime you can do that, especially when you're going to Kansas City, you know, to play arguably the best quarterback in the game right now, Patrick Mahomes, if you could eliminate those those explosive plays or limit them to one or two and continue to have those turnovers, it's anyone's game, So I'm excited about.
Speaker 1: That, Indy.
Speaker 3: One of the I guess the storylines of this game was the fact that Rex Ryan made the comment about the Texans being a bye week and the Texans were an underdog by Vegas.
Speaker 1: Mean, Vegas is trying to make money, so I can understand that. But Rex Ryan.
Speaker 3: Was very vocal in his derision of the Texans, and it was clear after the game the Texans they heard that they seemingly internalized all of that. As a player, did you have a situation like that, and how much when you were playing did you actually hear or know or see of what people were saying they're doubting you or making comments about, oh, the Eagles defensive line stinks because of Kalou what what?
Speaker 1: Did you ever have a situation like that?
Speaker 3: And how much do players actually hear the noise that they claim a lot of times that they don't hear or pay attention to.
Speaker 8: Well, the only time when they said the d Lion stinks because of Kalou. I found out was my mom who put it out there, you know. But other than that, but you know, all jokeers, you hear it, and some guys always kind of giggle when some players, oh, yeah, we don't listen to that, or we didn't even know he said that, especially a guy like Rex Ryan. Like Rex Ryan is one of those characters in the game, in the sport where you have a lot of respect for him because he seemed like to be a player's coach. It is a little disappointing because now he's in the media. I feel like he tries to throw out hot takes and I feel like he's a respected enough figure in the NFL that he doesn't have to have hot takes. I will say this, the player's definitely heard it. They definitely heard it. It was mentioned in the post game you know, speech by Demiico Ryans and some of the players. But as far as Rex Ryan goes, if I'm the Jets and I don't know if the decision has already been made so let me know, but if I'm the Jets and I'm really thinking, like do I want this guy to be our head coach? Do I want this guy to lead our team. And that's his take. You know, he can't even evaluate teams, and he's saying that the team that ended up winning with a bye week, you know, a team that has Joe Mixon, that has Nico Collins, that has CJ. Stroud like calling them a bye week? Do I want him leading my team? Because what's he gonna say about his opponents? You know what is he gonna tell the team that I want him to lead into battle about their opponent. I thought that was more of a bad look for him trying to get a head coaching job than it was just being bulletin boardant material.
Speaker 3: That was absolutely one dead on and he hit that out of the park. Jets, good luck hire Rex Ryan please that would help us all out and helping us all out tonight, Dre, John Anddy appreciate them obviously, Mark all of you for listen.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much.
Speaker 3: We will see you tomorrow, oh man, that is so good to say, because more radio tomorrow, meetor Texans are still playing and that is awesome. We'll see you then, everybody, and as always, go Texans.