Speaker 1: This story contains adult content and language. Listener discretion is advised.
Speaker 2: This is such an oddity that a parent would use a public arena to distract their abduction.
Speaker 1: I'm Kate Winkler Dawson, a nonfiction author and journalism professor in Austin, Texas. I'm also the co host of the podcast Buried Bones on Exactly Right, and throughout my career research for my many audio and book projects has taken me around the world. On Wicked Words, I sit down with the people I've met along the way, amazing writers, journalists, filmmakers, and podcasters who have investigated and reported on notorious true crime cases. This is about the choices writers make, both good and bad, and it's a deep dive into the publish details behind their stories. This is one of the most shocking unsolved missing child cases in the world. A seven year old boy named kyn Horman went missing in twenty ten in Portland, Oregon, and he's never been found. The last person to see him was his stepmother. Author Rebecca Morris details Kyene's story and the mystery of his disappearance in her book Boy Missing The Search for Kyne Horman. Where does it make sense for you to start.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm a great believer in going way back, so when I write a book like this, I've done three books about missing people, and I didn't know I was going to become kind of an expert at that, but three of my nine books are about missing people. And I go way back so that I know the childhoods of all these parents and step parents involved. I know about the earlier traffic tickets and high school antics of the person that we think took Kiren. I learn as much as I can, and you know, and I like to quote Agatha Christie. Actually she said, the crime is the end of the story. You just have to find out what came before and what led to this, What was the community that the crime happened in, you know? And this did, as she said, it affected so many people I've never seen. There's still sixty thousand people on Facebook who follow this regularly. That's a lot now. Ten years ago there were like half a million. But it's still the community's very active. We don't know what the Sheriff's office is doing, and I don't know if Kiren's mother, Desiree, even knows the searches ended years ago. She's helped gather volunteers to do you know, trained volunteers and searching to do other searches. But it's pretty much a stand still. And because of what we'll talk about it, it's a no body case when the body has not been found, prosecutors delay bringing charges because they believe that the odds of getting a successful conviction are greater if there's a body. Certainly, bodies do give you evidence, but I found an expert who says that's not necessarily the case. No body's cases can be successfully prosecuted.
Speaker 1: And we've seen that particularly the last twenty or thirty years. Where you do see prosecutors, they have to be very confident about the evidence. I think what and correct me if you think I'm wrong here. I feel like though, the no body cases that I've read about have been people who have very well documented lives. They have credit cards, they have child custody, they have you know, parents that they talk to every day, they have cell phone records. There's all kinds of a paper trail, and with a boy, there probably isn't much of a paper trail. Excep the last person who had real contact with him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's both an advantage and disadvantage. You're right, a seven year old doesn't have a paper trail, doesn't say where he stopped to get gas or charges he made on his credit card. But I think technology, and as far as I know, Muloma County in Portland is still looking at the suspect's phone and computer. I mean I read regularly that with new technology they're finding information they didn't have a few years ago. So I just have this suspicion. Only recently is my confidence back on this case that they will find something on a phone or a computer that will give them some insight to where he was left.
Speaker 1: Well, when you talk about having to go far back, like Agatha Christie, how far back are we talking in this case? Did you manage to go involving the parents in Kiren and his life?
Speaker 2: Well, the impetus for going back is that the best suspect in this case, the only person of interest in this case, had had some early driving arrests, and there were some stories about setting fire to her parents house when she was a teenager, and a boyfriend who said that she had somebody approach him with a gun. So trying to track down rumors are very hard. If there was no arrest if there's no you know, no law a case with no law enforcement, that's that's pretty hard. But I tried to especially track down what her history was. We're talking about a lot of marriages, a lot of divorces, a lot of step kids, and sometimes living here, sometimes living there, and that's you know, not unusual in America. You know, it's almost like it's a character in this story. Where were they, what were they doing? Who did the children live with this week? And you know, there were reasons that Chyen lived part of the time with his mother, you know, his birth mother, and part of the time with his father and stepmother because of Desiree Jung's health issues in the past, so he was back and forth the whole length of the state of Oregon. You know, his birth mother and stepfather lived in southern Oregon, his father and stepmother lived in northern Oregon. So there was a lot of shuffling around and also who had you know, when who had been married, who'd had an affair with who, And you know, it was messy, but a lot of people's lives get messy. You know, Desiree had an older son, a teenage son who lived with his father and stepmother, different father. But you know, you can't do a book like this without the help of a family. I'm a native Oregonian. I spent three chunks of my career in broadcasting print in Portland. I know Portland, I know Oregon, and I had been watching this case for a long time since he went missing, and I think other authors do that. It's not always a book, right when somebody goes missing, you kind of have to know what's going to happen. And I felt, after watching this for ten years that it was time to do a book. Even if he was not found, it was time to do a book. So I wrote to Desiree an old fashioned letter I mailed, and I told her about winning the trust of other families and other books I'd done. And she texted me right away and said I'd been praying the right author would come along. So that was an enormous, enormous thing, because you to have her confidence and trust to visit her in Medford, Oregon, to meet her parents, to meet her siblings, to meet her other son, to you know, hang out, to see her when she would fly through Seattle or something. It was a couple of years of a lot of contact and you know, being in Kirene's bedroom where things had not been touched for ten years, and then following her as she began to change his bedroom. You know, it took a lot of years, but the changes she made. So the challenge is always for an author. I'm an observer. I get to know them, the family, but I need to also be open to other conversations about his disappearance.
Speaker 1: Now, did Desiree and Kiren's father, Kane, did they have a good relationship for any of their marriage? When they did get married.
Speaker 2: They seem to have a good relationship. The first couple of years he told her he didn't want children. Oh and she already had her other son, but she got pregnant. And the story she told me is that he initially said I don't want children, I'll sign over all my rights to you, and then he spoke with his mother and she changed his mind. So he said he would be you know, a husband and father. But it was while they were still married that he met Terry Horman and began to have a relationship with her, so you know, there was some cheating going on. But then then Desiree had some health issues. Cain said he would take kyn. This is when when Chiren is quite young, take Kiren indefinitely and then he wouldn't give it back. So they worked out a compromise where half of the weekends he was in Medford and half he was in Portland, and vacations he would be in Medford with Desiree. But I think she never quite forgave herself for losing that, you know, one hundred percent custody.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about these main characters, because now we have four, right, we have Terry, we have Desiree, We've got Caine, who is Karen's father, and then of course Kien himself. You know he's seven when he disappears. Let's start with Kiren. What do you know about his personality? What kind of kid you've been in his room? What kind of kid was he up until he disappeared? Well, you can look at a photo, any photo.
Speaker 2: He looks happy, he's happy, and he's such a cute child. I mean, you know he wears glasses from the age I think of two or so, and he's just grinning. He looks very happy. I know he liked frogs, he liked baseball, he loved fishing. You know, the fifth character in This is Tony Young, who's Desiree's husband, who's a cop, a detective, and Menfred Oregan, So that is very interesting. He is an inside observer of how the search goes and the investigation and the people they're giving multiple polygraphs to. And Tony is a fabulous source. But Kyron, you know, they had a good relationship with his mother and with his stepfather. They went camping a lot, they went fishing a lot. He had this older half brother that he adored, and I think that was Kyen at his happiest is when he's with his mother and father and that family, because you know, he just always comes first when he's in Portland with his father and stepmother. And then they had a baby. There was an infant who would have been born about a year and a half before Kyron went missing, you know, And I've been thinking about this a lot recently. Kyen told his mother that his stepmother and her older son had been setting him up and scaring him and taking him up to the woods. And the one thing Kyen was most afraid of, as Rae says, was being lost. Isn't that just heartbreaking? Yeah, his greatest fear is being lost and they would take him, this older son of his stip mood, take him out to the woods, or because Caine's house was kind of in a woody area and he'd leave him there or make him go into a shit And you know, Desiree thought they were deliberately scaring Kyne from being torn back and forth between families. You know, he was a pretty well adjusted kid.
Speaker 1: What's your impression of Cain as a father? I mean, I know we said initially he didn't want kids, and then it turns into basically full time custody. What was he like? Did you get the impression that he was a patient father, a kind father, aside from his relationship with Terry and her attitude toward Kyen. What was Cain like?
Speaker 2: Well? I spoke with Cain once. He didn't want to be included in the book. But from everything, of course, I've researched everything I can about him. He was I think a better boyfriend than a husband. He created, you know, opportunities for Kyen, praised him when it was important. I don't think that he knew what was going on in that house. I don't think he knew about Terry and her son scaring Kyen. Then they had this, you know, a baby girl. I think Caine avoided kind of looking at what was going on. Desiree would contact him or email him about, you know, things that Kyen was saying, and of course he was kind of in a spot in the in the middle of things. He didn't want children, but then he and he and Terry had this infant girl. I think he left the child raising a lot of it to the women, and he worked at Intel and was busy. Since Kyen's disappeared. He has his own kind of fundraising event every fall, which is like an old car show. I'm not sure how he uses donations, but I know Desiree buys posters, has posters made bys you know bracelets. You know. Kin is a little bit of an unknown entity in this. I'll tell you he was pretty darn surprised to find out who he was married to. As far as Kyrin and stepmother.
Speaker 1: Tell me about Terry, they meet and he is still married to Desiree. It sounds like, and they have an affair and then there's a divorce and then they become married. What did you learn about Terry that is really relevant I think to this case. Sort of as this unfolds for the audience here.
Speaker 2: Well, Carrie Horman Kin was her third marriage. She's now remarried in California and married for the fourth time. She grew up in Roseberg as the only child adopted child of parents that were teachers, and one of the stories that's followed her around is that she deliberately set a fire once in her parents' house. I don't know. I never found any way to either confirm that or deny that. And she, you know, I think had some behavior up and downs. I think she had a problem with alcohol as a young adult. She was stopped for driving drunk with her older son in the back seat when he was young, and that's very serious to be driving drunk with a child in the car. So she lost her license for a year. And I think that's before she married Kine. But there are always these little little incidents. The women who run the Facebook page and the organization keep an eye on her in California. But it made news when she moved to California after the divorce. She was arrested for threatening somebody with a knife. She stole a roommate's gun and was carrying it when they found her. I just keep thinking one of these issues going to do something else that will really shed some light. You know, if people have a history of doing crazy or illegal things, they don't stop it suddenly.
Speaker 1: Is there a CPS, A CPS ever involved before all this stuff happens.
Speaker 2: No, okay, And that's of course one of the things that Portland Sheriff's Office was starting from scratch. They didn't know who these people were. You know, sometimes they've been called to the home, or police have been called to a home with domestic violence, or CPS had been involved, and none of that had happened here.
Speaker 1: Now I know that Desiree struggled with I think it was kidney issues. Did you have a lot of opportunities to see Terry in person, and if so, what is the sense you got of their interactions between the two of them, because they obviously have a very troubled history. All around Cain.
Speaker 2: They would see each other if she was picking up or deliver bring Kiren. And one time I just was looking at the book again last night, and there was an incident when Cain and Terry drive Kiraen to Medford and it's Mother's Day or something, and they're dropping him at Desiree's mother's house and our mother invites them to stay for brunch and they do okay, And it's Terry who jumps up when Kien needs to go down the hall to the bathroom, and so I think it's you know, a lot of couples do that. They just you do what you have to do, m m, you know, for the children's sake, and get past that holiday. They didn't meet up a lot for an event for Kirn. They pick and choose what was Desiree going to go to? What Cain and Terry going to go to?
Speaker 1: So everything seems to be okay. We know that Terry has a troubled history with little bits and pieces of criminal activity, but clearly between these four people, between Desray and her husband the detective, and then Cain and Terry seems sort of the most un stable or the most mysterious. But right now, is before his disappearance, is sort of the only grievance against Terry that she and her older son are scaring Kiren. Is there anything else that gets flagged?
Speaker 2: Yes, there are some other things that Desiree's concerned about. Because when Kiren, you know, goes to Medford for the weekend or summer. He tells his mother, Desiree about other things, like there's some kind of color system that Terry uses to discipline him by, just something of her own kind of device. There are some other things that Chiren shares with Desiree that Terry is doing. I never read or was told that she struck him or hit him, but he would be kind of mind games. I'd say, I'd classify it as mind games. So did get shared, and then of course Desiree would talk to Caine about it, And we don't know what his discussions were with Terry about the mind games, or maybe he didn't believe it, maybe he did.
Speaker 1: Did you think that Cain and Terry seemed to have a pretty good relationship and once they got married, it doesn't sound like there were any sort of police reports or you know, reports of domestic violence incidences or anything. They seemed to have an okay, stable relationship.
Speaker 2: Well, I don't know that I would say that, because things came out when the disappearance of Kyraen was being investigated, including things about Terry. So this is documented by the Sheriff's office that just a few months before Kiren disappeared, Terrie asked somebody who was working on their lawn if he knew how she could hire a hitman. Oh, and she apparently had plans to have Cain killed.
Speaker 1: She went to somebody who was cutting her yard and said, can you help me kill my husband?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: Yes, Wow.
Speaker 2: Police believed it so much that they put a wire on the guy and had him, you know, go back and approached Herry and hoped that she would bring it up again. And you know, she wasn't done. She didn't ask again, but you know, it's part of the police case. In fact, they took it so seriously that they told Cain that day, we believe that Carry was going to have you killed. He and the infant daughter got out of there. Well, they went and they checked into a hotel down downtown. The police arranged for them and got them out of the house because they were taking it seriously that they didn't know what Carry was capable of. And I believe within minutester hours, Caine was filing for divorce, finally filing for custody of the kids. And he never went back to his house as long as she was there.
Speaker 1: So she tried to do this after Kyene disappeared, before Oh Okay, So when did the police tell Caine.
Speaker 2: It was during the investigation into where's Kiren? The groundskeeper came to police and said, this woman talked to me about this. So Kirene's missing and Kane grabs the baby and they get out of the house.
Speaker 1: Is there some sort of not inciting incident for this case doesn't seem right, But is it just a normal day when he has taken to school for this science fair.
Speaker 2: Well, Carrie planned this and it was premeditated because she planned today when as we were talking about, there were three or four hundred extra people at the school. There'd be no security, the doors would be wide open. She knew it was going to be an unusual day at the school, and she also planned She told the school in Kirene's teacher that he had a doctor appointment, so she took him to school in time to look at all the science exhibits. They left his jacket and backpack in his classroom. The teacher believed he had a doctor's appointment. She says she stood and waved at Kyroen as he entered his classroom and never saw him again. What wasn't said for a few weeks after Kien went missing. Is that there were eyewitnesses that saw her leave the school with him. So his bus driver who knew him well, and a student and a grandmother saw her leave with him, so there were eyewitnesses. The other way that she had set this up is she had a little red sports car that she'd gotten Cain to buy her. Well, that's a rather noticeable obvious thing. She told Cain that morning she needed his white truck that she needed to put the science exhibit in it later. But the science exhibits weren't going home that day. There was another school and they were going to be staying at the school. But she got Caine's white truck pickup open bit in the back, a back seat that has two children's car seats, and that she just said she needed that that day. Well, they found, of course a million white pickup trucks in north Portland, you know when they went looking for where was hers that day? So you know, there's the truck and not the red car. There's taking his photo in front of his red frog exhibit. She says she waved to him. Eyewitnesses see her leave with him, and then she is off the grid for a few hours and she lies to the police about where she's been. They know that she stopped at two fred Meers, which are a drug store chains in Portland, and she was looking for cold medicine, she said, for the baby. And they have cameras of her in the in the stores and she buys something. And you know, my theory is she sedated Kyen gave them both, probably gave this gold medicine to both the baby and Kiren. And then her phone is turned off and she is at least two and a half hours off the grid. She has a good friend whose name is Dede Spicer, who works at a nursery ape not the children's kind, of the other kind. Yeah, not far from the school where Kiren goes to school, near the road also where Cain and Terry live. We believe she picks up Dedi and has her with her in the pickup. When the next couple of hours happened, the owner of the nursery where Dedie worked said they always had lunch together and they looked for her, you know, all afternoon. They couldn't find her. Her car was there, but they couldn't find Dede. DP says she was just working in some obscure part of the nursery, but it's thought that Terry picked her up and so she was maybe she was along to take care of the baby with whatever was going to happen. There were some sightings, you know, supposedly of Terry in her red sports car driving one of the back roads in that area the week before, standing around looking kind of at the woods. So a couple of hours pass, detti Is dropped back at the nursery says she was there all the time.
Speaker 1: I was wondering about the truck. There's no GPS on the truck at all that they're able to trace.
Speaker 2: No, there's no GPS on the truck. Actually, her phone pinged on a cell phone tower. So this area which is just north of Portland, and but it's in court, it's still in the county, but it's not the city of Portland. But it pinged on a tower near an area called Sawvi Island. So we're talking hundreds and hundreds of thousands of woods and then saw The Island which has ponds and is a wetland. It's a kind of across the road from the woods work Kirroen. But she might have driven onto this island where all these ponds are, so they did drag some of these waters to look for Kien. It's actually one of the things I learned knowing this is that it's much harder to find a body in water than it is on land.
Speaker 1: Let me ask you this, because this is an important point. Do you at this point you believe, I mean, it sounds like you absolutely believe that Terry is responsible for Kyroen's disappearance, and it sounds like.
Speaker 2: Murder, it does. She also, after wherever she's been driving, she drops in at a gym that she belongs to, and I believe she's got the baby with her and mostly just to be seen for five minutes. So she was seen, and then she goes home and she puts the picture of Kyroen on her Facebook page, and you know, a couple hours later, Cain comes home and just to finish that afternoon, they don't know Kyron hasn't been at school all day, at least Kane doesn't know. Desiree doesn't know. They walk down the baby and Terry and Kine walk to meet the school bus, and the school bus driver says, you know, no, I haven't seen Kyroen. They go to the school and they find out nobody's seen him since nine am. It's funny and weird, but also frightening that when Desrae gets a call from the school and drives up, neither Kin or Terry ever called her to tell her Karen's smissing. So she talked to the school secretary. She and Tony drive up, being the cop. He says, we've got to go to the house. The school parking lot has become this media center. I mean, just in a couple of hours, hundreds of reporters and cameras and they So they go to Caine's house, and I mean, I'll never forget Desiree saying Terry opened the door to Hi, come on in. We've got some food over here people have brought. You know, is if it's an open house or for the July party or just really weird behavior.
Speaker 1: Now I come to something that I've wanted to ask you for this whole time. But I want to know what is the motive? What do you think the motive would have been? If Terry is responsible.
Speaker 2: I think she wanted to be free, and that meant both Kan and kyn. I think if Kate had been killed, she could have given Kyen back to Desiree, and Desiree had said for years, you know, let me have him more often, and Kin was the one resisting. Terry wanted Kiren to leave. In fact, Terry actually called Desiree a time or two and said, I'd like for you to take Kyen, and Kan wouldn't let that happen. They found after Kyraen missing that Terry was she was sexting. Kyen had just gone missing, and she was sexting with somebody. So I think she liked life better when she was free. And if it wasn't going to be King who died, and then she'd give back Kyron, she would get rid of Kiren. It doesn't sound like enough motive to have a child taken.
Speaker 1: Oh listen. I mean, I think you and I both have read and research stories where there is far less motive than that for people to be killed. And it doesn't surprise me one little bit that somebody poll holes. You know, and I host another podcast, Buried Bones, and he and I often talk about, you know, things that sound stupid to us. It's all about the perception of the killer and what we think is gosh, that's on. A motive is absolutely a motive for somebody who you know, in their own head says, I've got to get out of the situation, right, I cannot spend one more moment in this situation, and that's when they react.
Speaker 2: Oh. One of the other things that had tipped I think Terry into this dangerous area is that her teenage son often lived with her and Kane, and Kane sent him back to his grandparents in Roseberg. And I don't know whether he knew, whether he took seriously the stories about him frightening Kiren, but the teenage son had to leave, so that I think I think Terry was mad about that. But I agree there are lots of motives with a child, it's just so much harder. I mean, it's just so much harder to understand. But I think I've been thinking, I still think about this all the time. I think maybe something else that happened that maybe we don't know about. That's something something else that put this bug in Terry. That maybe it wasn't just her son being sent away, or problems with Kin, or the fact she liked to be you know, she liked chaos. And then I do think it's premeditated that she set up, you know, school fair people won't notice, you know, if a child is taken away.
Speaker 1: Have you thought about maybe Kyne saw something or read or heard something. I wonder if that's a motive it. It just seems so like, I know, she approached the gardener to kill Cain, and I'm assuming the gardener said no, thank you. She could have gone to someone else, She could have tried other people and gotten him. I just it's so odd and upsetting that he's you know, now she's moved over to Kiren.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think Kyn very likely saw or heard something or read something on you know, if her computer was left open. I think Kyen had noticed something that was going to be serious for Terry.
Speaker 1: So the media comes out and droves because the police of course immediately, you know, is it an amber alert? It's twenty ten, I don't remember if that's when we had Amber alerts.
Speaker 3: Yep, there has to be a car involved, okay, so just a missing child alert basically, you know, I've studied and studied. I mean, I find no fault with the police or the sheriff's office in the county. I know from Desiree.
Speaker 2: And of course she is you know, sometimes criticized as being pro cop because her husband was a detective. But it was a massive, massive search.
Speaker 1: Did they end up bringing the Oregon State Police in or any federal agencies or anything like that.
Speaker 2: Yes, and the FBI and just pretty much everybody you can imagine.
Speaker 1: I feel like sometimes when we hear that criticism of cases in not Portland's large, but you know, in maybe even a smaller area. To me, it tends sometimes to be because the police, the local police are reticent to work with state or federal So if they immediately reached out are pretty close to immediately, then that obviously is a big check mark in their favor, so that that's nice. That's one thing we can take out of this is police incompetence. It sounds like, yeah, this is.
Speaker 2: A very interesting side note. Desiree and friends and Facebook. They're backing somebody who's going to be in an election with the DA who was the DA in twenty ten because he won't bring charges. Mike Schmid is the current DA and the candidate is ap prosecutor in the office, so he's challenging his boss, and they're backing this fellow. I don't I think. I think Desiree has met with him and Desiree has tried over the years to continue meeting with the DA in Portland to find out, well, what would they have to know to be able to make an arrest to bring charges, and Desiree is said, they're not going to bring charges until they find Kirn's body. I'll do it, I'll find him. I think the disappointment in the community is with the DA's office. Of course, that's where the buck stops, and not with the police, because it's a DA who decides.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Absolutely, but I guess you could at the flip side of as you could also say, well, the police need to work harder to get evidence. And I'm assuming that's what the DA will say, is well, keep doing, keep going. If you want me to file these charges, you've got to keep going and figure out a connection.
Speaker 2: Well, I know grand Jury has continued to meet off and on for years without bringing an indictment. Desiree tried. You know, I always thought this was a good idea if she filed the civil suit a year after Kyra went missing. Yeah, and you know, you hear about families like in the og Simpson case, Ronald Goldman's family after OJ Simpson was found on guilty. You know, they file a civil suit and they win. They may not collect, but they win. She and her attorney needed the police report to continue with the civil suit, and they couldn't get it. That was it would have been about twenty eleven, a year after Kiro disappeared. The police weren't ready to, you know, because they'd be showing Kerry Horman everything they had on her.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so they had to drop the civil suit. I would think that might still be some day a possibility, Yeah, to charge her civilly well, civil suits, even if there's no conviction. It's such an excellent way to get information and potentially get her on the stand to defend herself or you know, you really that's a good way, and I think a really effective way, which is I think a lot of the motivation for a lot of families, not necessarily you know, a monetary gain, but you know, and even a convention, but to just get that information. Have you talked to Desiree at all about if she's going to be interested in in refiling. I don't think we've talked about that in a few years, but that is something I would ask her about.
Speaker 1: Well, let's pick it back up with you know, there's this media circus, there's this boy who's missing. At what point do the police, I know, they're looking at everybody, the husband who's a cop, who you know, had the I'm sure the knowledge to hide a body, the mother, the biological mother, the stepmother or the father, and they start digging through all this information. What is the big red flag for the police to say about Terry, This woman's capable. Not that there are witnesses floating around who say this and that, but when did they start becoming very alarmed or is it the witnesses.
Speaker 2: I'd say the evening of the day Kiren disappeared. Because all the parents were kept in Caine's house for like forty hours. I didn't know that this could happen. They were all kept there, and of course the baby's there, and Desiree had picked up her other son who maybe was ten at the time, or ten or fourteen. So the police are right there with them and they can see, you know, Terry's quirky, that's putting it nicely, behavior about you know, food and all of this. And I know for a fact that right then Desiree and Kin and Tony were very suspicious of Terry right away, even Cain her husband.
Speaker 1: Yes, and he didn't even know yet that she had tried to put a hit out on him.
Speaker 2: No, he didn't know. He didn't know that yet. Terry is actually putting Kiren's things away in storage and taking photos down from his room. And within two days the police gave Terry Horman her first polygraph and quickly followed by two others. She failed two polygraphs, and she walked out on the third one.
Speaker 1: I would have two, to be honest, I hate polographs. Were they doing that to intimidate her? I mean they had to have known that they're not going to get any real confirmation of anything.
Speaker 2: I think they get a psychological reading just from their behavior. Take the test, don't you think.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I would scare me to death. Yes, absolutely so.
Speaker 2: Then after a few days in this house together, Tony and does Ray go to a hotel About ten days after Kiren disappears, and you should if you haven't seen this video on YouTube, it's really interesting. About ten days after Irons disappeared is the first news conference with the parents present and with the police, and it's held at the old church across the road from where Kiren's school is and the church has also become kind of a media center. And the four parents are there together and it looks like, you know, if you're just looking at it looks like, oh, there's some unity between the parents and the step parents. Well, Carrie leans on Desiree and tries to hugger. Terry is the only one crying. Terry's actions are so odd, and Desiree says she didn't want Terry. They've never been close ever. They were not good friends as some of Terry's friends said they were. They were not friends. And here is the stepmother leaning on her, crying, and the video is just pretty fascinating. And then what they did is the men's the father and stepfather both spoke briefly and the Sheriff's department, and it's not long after that when they find out about the hitman and Caine moves out of the house. As far as I mean, I think the really interesting question is where is Kyroen?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I mean did she have time to dig a hole in the woods. Incidentally, De d was deposed by the Grand by attorneys and pled the Fifth Amendment. I think it was one hundred and sixty one times or something. So we didn't get anything from her, but she's left the city. You know, they both they both left the city. Terry went home to her parents in Roseberg, and Dedi went back to Climbate Falls. Those were both in southern Oregon. I don't think it's very common to hand off a child. I don't think Terry had looked around for somebody to give Kiren to. I don't know. There are people that like to think that that, you know, one day he's going to knock on the door when he's thirty years old, and you know, he's just remembered who he is or something. I can't think of anything besides the Madeline McCann's story in Portugal.
Speaker 4: Yeah it's possible. I guess that they think she was taken to give away. Yeah, yeah, I don't know where he is. She was on the road for a couple of hours.
Speaker 2: Not a lot of my leech on her. You know, I don't think they knew what or a dometer was when she set out that date. But she didn't go far.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you what I think is interesting. I feel like you're very I know this is all based on your research. You're very bold to essentially accuse somebody of murder who hasn't been convicted or arrested, who is, you know, living her life in California. Do you not ever get scared of your own civil lawsuit launched by Terry.
Speaker 2: Well I just a few minutes ago. I thought about it. I'm sorry, you know, but the book has been out, you know, a few years now. Yeah. Of course they're the Facebook pages. They take pictures of her house and put them on one.
Speaker 1: Oh man. And she's never made a statement, right, I mean except to say I have no I have no idea what happened.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and uh, the woman who basically is behind the Facebook page, she's been kicked off with tiber too, and then she's back. You know. So many people have said, we think it was Terry Horman. Yeah, I don't think I'm sticking out as the one person saying this. Desiree has said it very publicly. Desiree and Cain went on doctor Phil. Terry went on doctor Phil. Terry got her own two statements.
Speaker 1: I read about that. Can you summarize what happened with doctor Phil from what Terry said about all of this?
Speaker 2: She's never deviated from her story of that morning I don't think she's ever deviated at all. You know, doctor Phil was famous for saying, what were you thinking? You know back then? And I haven't watched it in a while, but I should, and it has mentioned the book. I don't think he believed her at all. Desiree and came. We're also on Oprah and so every you know, everybody has said we think it was terry. So it doesn't necessarily come from me.
Speaker 1: You know, It's interesting. I was thinking of like, how would this work? And I know we talk about technology and is there a way, is there anything that could be improved, you know, to crack this case? Seems to me like the thing that could crack it is like d D or somebody who knows something getting into some pretty real trouble and getting out of it by giving over some information, which is what often happens. But I know this is kind of a different demographic then we're a lot of times, I think we talk about petty criminals and drug dealers. I'm not sure if DD's going to be getting into any kind of trouble.
Speaker 2: Like that, I don't think so. I don't know much about d D's current life, but her you know, history as far as I knew, it wasn't as troublesome as as Terry's. I think you're right that sometimes people squeal because they can get something out of it. But I'm not sure there's anybody else besides the two of them that knows what happened. And maybe Deee doesn't even know. Maybe she got in the truck. I've always thought maybe Terry left her with the baby getting a cup of coffee so that she wasn't really there.
Speaker 1: To wrap this up? Where are Desiree and Kane? Now, I mean, I know we've talked about they both kind of do their own fundraising. They both kind of have events. They're trying to keep this going and I'm sure your book you know, in twenty twenty, really helped. Are they both living lives as well as they can of two people who lost a child?
Speaker 2: Well, Cain is still in that house in north Portland as far as I know, he said full custody of what was the baby at the time. Because of Terry's past history, Terry could see that child if she caught up with all these years of child support that she hasn't done that, so she hasn't seen her little girl in fourteen years, Wow came and last I I don't know exactly what he's doing. I think he stood until maybe and he has this fundraiser for Kiren. And course Desiree is never far away from her, you know, and she's doing something which I think is amazing. She speaks at a lot of gatherings and this kind of evolved over the last few years at you know, true crime festivals where they have people speak and often you know, parents, missy children. But she also and of course she her husband was a detective. She speaks to police agencies. She speaks to law enforcement. There's something called KURT Training, which is Child Abduction sponse Team, and it brings together it's three days. It's held all over the country and it brings together teams of local police, FBI, social workers, first responders, fire search and rescue people for specialized training all the roles that you have people playing when there's a child missing. And Desiree speaks to KURT Training, and I just think that's amazing for them to hear from a parent who really went through this. Yeah, and I've never I don't think I've ever heard Desiree say they didn't do this or they didn't do that. I will say, you know, the case is open. You never close. Police never close a case of a missing child. So the case is open. And she's been told that, you know a lot of times with police departments, and I've written about again missing other missing people. Once every year or two they'll assign, you know, somebody with fresh eyes to a case and they'll take a look at it, and it usually goes nowhere. But you know, I'm sure, I'm sure that the Molamba County Sharff's office does that and takes another look at things Desiree has helped find, and the fundraising has financed news searches of areas that she thinks need another search.
Speaker 1: So really, you know, at the end of this story, we're back to Kiren, who is missing, and that is the hope that ultimately, you know, in one way or the other, his body will be recovered, he will be found, and then somebody will be brought to justice, if that's Terry or whomever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I don't always believe in what the media calls closure. The paint does not end when they find the remains, but I do think it puts you a step closer. I think it puts families in a kind of a new position, and of course often leads to then some kind of criminal charges being brought. If they can find you know the body, they'll know a lot more about who did what.
Speaker 1: If you love historical true crime stories, check out the audio versions of my books The Ghost Club, All That Is Wicked, and American Sherlock and Don't Forget. There are twelve seasons of my historical true crime podcast, Tenfold More Wicked right here in this podcast feed, scroll back and give them a listen if you haven't already. This has been an exactly right production. Our senior producer is Alexis M. Morosi. Our associate producer is Christina Chamberlain. This episode was mixed by John Bradley. Curtis Heath is our composer. Artwork by Nick Toga. Executive produced by Georgia Hartstark, Karen Kilgarriff and Danielle Kramer. Follow Wicked Words on Instagram at tenfold More Wicked and on Facebook at Wicked Words Pod