Speaker 1: Good morning, and happy Pride.
Speaker 2: Pride, Happy Pride everyone. We are well. We're recording right now, which is complex, yes, because we're dealing with so many technical issues.
Speaker 1: It's actually I want everyone to know that we set a time to record and we were going to do a specific kind of episode. We were excited, and there have been technical issues that are beyond our control, and so we have made the difficult decision to re release an old episode.
Speaker 2: But we are doing it with Pride, that's right, because it's one of our favorite episodes of all time. It's from our series that we do once a year called Gadio Lab, where it's not straight topic, it's a gay topic, gay topic, folks.
Speaker 1: And so for Pride, we thought, yeah, sure we're going to do a Gadeo Lab, you know, for this year, twenty twenty five, Gatio Lab. But why not wet your appetite with last year's Gatio Lab.
Speaker 2: Yeah, see how the other half lives, See how we've changed over a year.
Speaker 1: I actually remember this day really well because it was do you remember when I was hired to do Man on the Street interviews at Rudy Giuliani's birthday? Yeah, that was that day and I went from that recording to Rudy Giuliani's eightieth birthday. Damn, and look how much it has changed the world has changed since then.
Speaker 2: I mean, you like brought him down. I did.
Speaker 1: It's true, I brought him down. But then, weirdly enough, through kind of the butterfly effect, Trump got reelected because I brought Julia Rudy Giuliani down.
Speaker 2: Well, that's the tough thing about sort of the EBB and flow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's that me, espresso, that's not me.
Speaker 2: I've been flow. Yeah, that's right, because you know, it's like how Trump was elected the first time as like a racist backlash against Obama, whereas this one was a backlash against your man man on the Street video.
Speaker 1: And you know, I just want to say, we've come so far in the last year, and I don't know, it's nice to chicken on the past.
Speaker 2: Why not, Oh you got a check in on the past?
Speaker 1: Or you know, constant nostalgia we know is toxic, but occasional nostalgia. Don't mind if I do a little nostalgia small plates as a treat, kind of a small plates like tapas style nostalgia. Sure, I'm not gonna have a whole pizza pie of nostalgia, but don't have a little finger sandwich.
Speaker 2: Ooh why not?
Speaker 1: Yummy?
Speaker 2: Yummy, yummy yummy. It's funny that we're doing this intro right now and then like the episode's gonna start and there's gonna be another intro.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but whatever, No, I like it.
Speaker 2: I'm like, oops, all intro like our other famous classic.
Speaker 1: My god, now that was a famous classic app.
Speaker 2: You know what. I said something insane the other day that I have to tell you out loud, Okay, I was like I guests like Joanna Newsome like I was like, you kind of just sit with it, Like you have to be like like it's not like you're not gonna put it on the radio when you're with your girls, but like when you're like really wanting to sit with something, then you pop it on.
Speaker 1: I know I And that's I think why it is challenging to like, if you know, to give a little elevator pitch. It's like, yeah, it's about straight culture, but it's kind of about epistemology, and it's sort of and if you don't get it, like there's really not much I can do.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's about language.
Speaker 1: It's about language.
Speaker 2: And the relationship communication. Yes, then the.
Speaker 1: Relationship between language and reality. It's like things do get lost in translation, both when you translate reality into language and when you decode language into an idea of reality.
Speaker 2: Damn, are you watching Couples Therapy?
Speaker 1: This is not an episode, This is not This is not an episode. This is an intro. I am not watching Couples Therapy. But I did watch the first season of In, just the first episode of In. Just like that.
Speaker 2: I haven't seen it. I haven't seen it yet.
Speaker 1: We are like so not on the same cycle recently with media consumption. It's crazy. I know, it's fucked. We have to like sit down and make it. This is actually you know for Patreon listeners, you know that, uh that we heap. You know, did you watch this?
Speaker 2: Watch?
Speaker 1: Just did you watch this? And somehow we can't find commonality.
Speaker 2: We're always on a different point.
Speaker 1: We used to be so in sync.
Speaker 2: I mean, the fracturing of our media system is part of the reason.
Speaker 1: It's so crazy that it actually the fracturing of the media system also is happening on a smaller level between podcast co hosts in the same podcast. There is a fractured media ecosystem between one person that is watching and just like that and one person that is watching Couples Therapy.
Speaker 2: Do you think that like if like people that are like are like trying to make it big and podcasting, like, do you think they're like, Okay, so this week we have to watch these three things. Like even if it's not like a culture podcast, this week we're watching these three things.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, of course I long for the simplicity of having a Bravo podcast. Can you imagine it's just like, you know what everyone is watching, They're just eating up this slop and then they want a gay guy to be like e.
Speaker 2: I mean there's something like, you know how like consertive straight guy's crave working on a farm in this way, like the gay version of that is hosting a provo podcast. No, I know, everyone kind of fantasizes about like, damn, if things were simpler, I could just go to that studio and record that Bravo podcast.
Speaker 1: It's nice that we make things difficult for ourselves on purpose by not commenting on any kind of existing pop culture and just having to think of new ideas every week. And my new ideas of course, I do mean different perspectives on how New York is different than Los Angeles. I know no, but we are going to. I think we're going to force ourselves to choose something to watch together. By the way, I've started the rehearsal from season one.
Speaker 2: Thank god I.
Speaker 1: Never watched it with the first time around. Started season one, I had an insane experience. Want to hear it?
Speaker 2: Please?
Speaker 1: Do you remember season one episode one? It was the guy that was wanted to friend that he doesn't have a master's degree. Yes, all right, watch that episode. Part of that episode is that Nathan Fielder is also rehearsing himself how to tell that guy that he did something or remember that he gave him the answers ahead of time. Yeah, yeah, yeah, all right. I go to a play last night. One of the actors is the actor that was playing that guy in the rehearsal.
Speaker 2: WHOA, that's so crazy.
Speaker 1: And I was like, he looks so familiar. I must have seen him on like, you know, maybe had a guest spot on uh some like on s view or something, as all theater actors do. Nope, he was in the rehearsal.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: One of the other actors on the first episode of and just like that oh, we're living in a panoptic on folks.
Speaker 2: Folks, it's all a simulation. Well, I met a bear at hot Dog Okay, the party in LA and we exchanged instagrams and of course he plays a sound guy on the rehearsal season two.
Speaker 1: Whoa. You know what I'm realizing, was this bear otherwise like a professional actor?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I think he's an actor.
Speaker 1: Okay, I think the actors are hiring. This is an obvious thing to say, because obviously the show is very good. I think they're hiring based on what I'm seeing, like real theater actors, like real uh you know, not.
Speaker 2: People off the street, people that are giving grounded.
Speaker 1: People that are like that, like went to Juilliard or Julie Art as you once called you.
Speaker 2: Well, it's confusing because it starts because it's an art school, but it's not named Julie Art, so that's really complicated. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Oh, I have another update.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: I'm exploring different non alcoholic beverages because I'm Kelly sober for medical reasons. For a few months, I bought with my own money. They did not send this to us. I bought these seltzers called guess what they're called wink. They're called wink with a y w y n K.
Speaker 2: Well that's fun.
Speaker 1: And so I bought a three pack. I have lime, tangerine, and I have black cherry. I tried the lime when I have to say there, it's not my favorite, But I think I have to get used to the idea of a thhc seltzer, like it's a different kind of flavor.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, the thing, the big issue with weed is that there is no mature way to consume it, Like there's no way to make you feel like a fancy grown up. It always is like and now I'm a teen. Now I'm a teen having like sour cush.
Speaker 1: But don't you think that there's another one called can spelled c A n N And I have had those and they're really good. They just have more sugar and I'm trying to be, you know, a little healthier of course, but those I actually think those were sold to me as like this is what all the park Slope moms drink when they're like with the kids. So that's adult.
Speaker 2: Sure, that's true. Damn big yawn on the pod, Yeah, on pod to lock me up and throw away the key. I'm a little sleepy today.
Speaker 1: I mean, I like wish we could just keep talking, but.
Speaker 2: I know so one of the technical difficulties is that George is sort of living in a horror movie where his computer charger isn't working, so he's at thirty percent and dropping.
Speaker 1: I'm actually at eleven percent.
Speaker 2: Just f one.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I was at thirty percent of the beginning of this conversation. Basically, what is going on is that I can either use my MIC or charge my computer. So, just so everyone's aware of the issue, you might be thinking, could we release an episode where I'm using, you know, my headphone mic. Yes, but that would actually make me so violently angry to release something so low quality for our dear listeners that I would have to commit instant Soku.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So are you going to the Genius Bar sometime this week? Or yeah?
Speaker 1: I mean, I guess I have to. I guess I have to.
Speaker 2: Well, folks, since Shorg's at eleven percent, I almost feel that we should it up.
Speaker 1: I guess we should wrap it up. I do want to say, you know, if you're craving more content, we are releasing two Patreon episodes a month over at patreon dot com. Slash Stradio Lab and like I said, we are gonna choose something. We're gonna choose something to watch together and do, like a TV club or a movie club. Because it's been a while. It's been a while I was craving doing in just like that. But see how you feel when you watch it, Sam.
Speaker 2: Well, I've seen pretty mixed reviews. Some people are like, this is the worst show I've ever seen. I'm never watching this show again.
Speaker 1: Okay, but that's like the whole point of the show.
Speaker 2: Did you see that fucking party? Did you go to the party, the premiere party for it? No? But I the stiletto, the ice sculpture of a stiletto with like shellfish in it. I was like, what are we doing? Like Rome is burning and we're eating shellfish out of a stiletto.
Speaker 1: So crazy.
Speaker 2: But obviously I was obsessed and grateful that some glamorous toll exists in the world, even if, of course I can only see it from a FI.
Speaker 1: I sometimes I'm more grateful for events I'm not invited to.
Speaker 2: That's true, because when you're there, you're like, actually, the sucks, But when you see it in pictures, you're like, damn I wish I had been there.
Speaker 1: You're like, God, you know, I want to say, actually, broad strokes, I'm so proud of publicists.
Speaker 2: Lately.
Speaker 1: They've been killing it.
Speaker 2: Publicists are eating, they're eating.
Speaker 1: I actually think there was a point when, you know, there was a point when they didn't know what to do because it was like, oh God, new media is rising, like it no longer is enough to pitch a story to the New York Times. And I think now they're kind of in their reputation era and they're like, let's fucking go, bitch, my name is Kendra, and I'm gonna send that email.
Speaker 2: They're like, yeah, this person just randomly films themselves in parks and you're going on.
Speaker 1: You're going on, Paul Meskall.
Speaker 2: It's become really really crazy. It's also become this interesting excuse of mine where whenever anyone's like getting a lot of attention and people are like start complaining, like, oh, they're not getting famous, they just have a good publicist, it's like a fun way to.
Speaker 1: Like carry them down.
Speaker 2: And it's also true.
Speaker 1: It's also true because guess what, all these things don't actually exist. We're all hallucinating. Subway takes is not real.
Speaker 2: The only thing that's real is like, Zendia is famous, yes, famous, it's all literally the only thing that's real.
Speaker 1: And sports sports is real, and Zendia Israel.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's literally and Donald Trump and unfortunately Donald Trump.
Speaker 1: Those are the big three. So you got to hitch your wag into one of those horses.
Speaker 2: And I'm choosing Zendia.
Speaker 1: I'm choosing Zendia.
Speaker 2: Damn. You know. When we started, we were both like, you know, sort of it's a blessing that we're having technical issues because we weren't in the mutual Record and I'm like, damn, I wish we could record.
Speaker 1: I know, and I'm in the Mutual Record. It's crazy because I met nine percent.
Speaker 2: Oh my god. Okay, let's wrap it up joy Gatia Lab with Celeste and you'll have a new Gatia Lab for this year in the next week.
Speaker 1: And by the way, it's a good guest. It's a really good, really good guest, repeat guest. So we'll let you decide who you think it is. Okay, okay, bye. Podcast starts now, and let me just say happy Pride.
Speaker 2: It's officially June, which is Pride month.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, more than ever, Yes, June, more than ever. This time comes but once a year, June usually once a year.
Speaker 2: George, how are you celebrating? You know this is tough.
Speaker 1: Because you know, to give everyone a peek behind the curtain. It's currently May thirty first. Oh, so I don't feel proud yet.
Speaker 2: I hate when you give it and I have to.
Speaker 1: It is so difficult to think twenty four hours from now, not even you know, twelve hours from now, even I will feel so proud. I'm going to wake up fully erect, ready to take on the day, Ready to buy some products, Ready to RSVP to some Facebook events, potentially activations, launches, what have you? Ready to join apollicule, Ready to welcome a third person into my polyamorous relationship. Ready to book a trip to Fire Island mikonos Ebitha, You know, yes, and I know Abeta is sort of actually kind of straight coded. But when I go, it's going to be Pride Month themed and you.
Speaker 2: Won't let the straight codedness of Hibetha stop your phone. Living on is your true authentic See, it's.
Speaker 1: Going to be me at various parties. Pit Bull is going to be DJing, and it's going to be all Instagram models, and then I'm going to walk in and say, who here has seen.
Speaker 2: Weekend?
Speaker 1: That film, the Andrew Haye Film Weekend, And all of them are gonna be like what yeah, And I'm gonna be like, that's what I thought, bitch. And then I'm gonna introduce them to queer cinema. You're gonna be like, DJ put this on, DJ put this on, and it's gonna be the film Weekend. It's gonna be a DVD of the film Weekend, and they're gonna screen it for a variety of Instagram influencers, models.
Speaker 2: Et cetera. Wow, that would be so exciting.
Speaker 1: So that's called grassroots organizing. And I do a drink Pride month and no other time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, that's really helpful. How are you celebrating Pride? I just don't know, if I am really completely honest, this is a tough year. I can't celebrate anything this year. I can't celebrate I feel because you have a desk job, because essentially, essentially I feel like, you know, I'm a man at sea. I'm completely lost, you know, celebrating Pride it's sort of like, what how about I have a home? First? You know.
Speaker 1: I see what you're saying. But do you think do you think you can't be prideful unless you have, you know, a nuclear family and home ownership, because that actually, to me goes against the whole premise of pride.
Speaker 2: No, I don't need a nuclear family. I just don't know, like I think what I'm missing Actually, yeah, is that pride is something where you're like, Okay, normally on my let's say, in the month of May, this is what I do. This is normal. So June, I'm not doing that because I'm being abnormal this year I'm having you're having You're.
Speaker 1: Having a difficult time being like, how can I change my habit?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like I don't have habits right now?
Speaker 1: Oh, you don't have habits raining?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm completely at sea. Well, I mean I have a job, sure, I go to every day, but outside of the job, what am I habits? Yeah?
Speaker 1: It's so interesting. You actually have the most stable, maybe the most stable schedule you've ever had since I've known you. No, but for you, that is being at.
Speaker 2: I'm actually more reckless than ever before. I'm completely lost. I yes, I have I know where I am Monday through Friday, between the hours that one works, yeah, but other than.
Speaker 1: That, you're having dinner walking your dog.
Speaker 2: I'm completely at sea, George, I can't believe this, okay, And also, like I think also the commitment of like when people celebrate Pride, part of me is like, what are you talking? What do you mean? Like? Define that for me? And a lot of the definition for a lot of people is like, well, I buy fourteen tickets to events and go to it. Yeah, And to me, I'm like, I don't like committing like that. No. I actually.
Speaker 1: I felt like we had reached a very nice balance at some point where everyone decided like, Okay, we're too you know, fill in the blank, old sophisticated, intellectual.
Speaker 2: Well read for Pride, and.
Speaker 1: So I would say, you know, for the for let's say, twenty fifteen through twenty eighteen. I was like, I don't care. I would never imagine going to a Pride party. And then suddenly people got back into it and fully blown thirty eight year old men were like, what are you doing for Pride? And I was like, we're not in college.
Speaker 2: I have to say, you grow up too fast. Oh my god, you grow up too fast. Using twenty fifteen, you think you're over at twenty fifteen, you were what twenty six, that's like the normal age to be like going.
Speaker 1: I guess what I mean is like, we are so lucky that we live in these urban, cosmopolitan centers with a variety of LGBTQ plus people.
Speaker 2: Pride is every day. For me.
Speaker 1: What is different about June? I just it literally is just that you're over paid. Now, I understand that this is a very sort of basic first order critique that I'm making. I don't think I'm reinventing the wheel here, but like, what is the point of a party being different in the month of June?
Speaker 2: Tell me? Just like, you know, what it is is that everyone's committed to having a little more fun. Like I think it gives people an excuse to be like, okay, you know what, I'm going to be bad because I think so often, you know, let's say in the month of April, I keep going back a month They're like, oh, I'm out, but it's it's one am. I should go home. Now you're out. It's one am. People were like, You're like, I should go you know what, Actually, no, it's fucking pride and I'm staying out till four because you know what this means something and I'm here with all my sisters and we did it.
Speaker 1: You know what you're describing actually is how it felt when booking this episode is I said, this isn't just any normal episode.
Speaker 2: What No? I agree. I just wanted to make a face, to be honest, and I think our guest want to make a face as well, because it was great face. Well, it was like a fun transition that added it. I think what was funny to me about it was that it added a lot of weight to this. I agree.
Speaker 1: Well, I also it is true that like and in fact, actually I have to say, our dear producer Olivia at some point emailed us and was like, do you have anything special plan for Pride? And literally my first reaction was like, no, shut up, I'm an adult. And then I had to reach inside myself and say, why are you rejecting your sense of childlike wonder, why are you rejecting pride something our four mothers fought so hard for?
Speaker 2: You have such an urge to grow up?
Speaker 3: I do.
Speaker 2: It's true.
Speaker 1: Well, we've talked about this, you know, for so long, for all my twenties, I wanted to grow up. Now that I am a grown up. I'm like, I need to enter middle school.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you want to go back.
Speaker 1: I want to go back.
Speaker 2: I mean, you're about to be the thirty eight year old gig guy being like, what are you doing for Pride? Okay, well I have a few more years left.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 2: I just I'm not literally you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: So anyway, we said, we decided, we remembered. You know, last year we started a new tradition, which is that for Pride we do an episode called Gatio Lab. We are rather than talking about a straight topic, we talk about a gay topic, and we do it with basically a Streeter lab all star.
Speaker 2: One could say, Okay.
Speaker 1: Someone who's been there from the beginning, someone who's done multiple episodes, live shows, someone who I would say helped helped define the spirit of the podcast and associated brand, Wow under the iHeartRadio umbro.
Speaker 2: So do you want to do the honors? Please give it up for Celestium? Wow?
Speaker 4: Thank you?
Speaker 2: What's up?
Speaker 4: How are you guys?
Speaker 2: Really good?
Speaker 4: We are so good actually doing with you and Pride? Yeah? With me and yeah and Sam.
Speaker 1: Well, it does seem like we both have a torture relationship with Pride. This year.
Speaker 2: Well, I just here's what I go ahead. Well, I'm just I can't live with abandon.
Speaker 1: I see what you're saying. Here's here's my issue with Pride.
Speaker 4: Okay, well that's both your issues kind of.
Speaker 1: We can't live with Oh please, I haven't lived with abandon since I was in the womb, since I was in the Woman being Slash slash Slash. As soon as I got out, I was like, where's.
Speaker 4: My dad's get a button up now?
Speaker 1: So here's the thing with Pride this year, and I'm going to try to work through this in real time. For so long, the joke with Pride was it's overly corporate. I'll meet you at the Chase Bank flow. Everyone is marching wearing their corporate teas whatever. Last year this thing happened where because there was so much backlash with anti trans legislation and with like people protesting you know, Target's Pride collection or whatever. Suddenly even the corporate pride felt like important. Somehow do you relate to this at all? I hear what you're saying, Like there is something where I was like, wait a minute, this thing that I've been making fun of for so long actually is like it literally is dangerous for target to put out a Pride collection. People are gonna come with a gun and protest suddenly, and so that and on top of that, what happened last year and people may not remember, is the sort of like held you be to Q plus creators and influencer didn't get gigs and work because people were doing fewer Pride campaigns. And suddenly I was like, wait a minute again, all these people that I've been making fun of, are they now being marginalized? And should I be on the front lines advocating for Instagram influencers and Instagram creators to get that Brooklyn and campaign now that Brooklyn is terrified of being seen as pro LGBT totally, And so where are we? So where are we now?
Speaker 2: Is what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: Yes, it's really smart, George, good job, good job. I didn't think of that.
Speaker 3: And the last year I actually kind of completely forgot that that happened.
Speaker 1: But do you remember what I'm saying? It was kind of shocking because you're used.
Speaker 3: To every backlash, backlash, backlash, You're used.
Speaker 1: To every year, Suddenly you open Instagram and every random person you follow for some reason is partnering with the brand. Yeah, and suddenly that didn't happen last year.
Speaker 3: Yes, Yeah, it's hard because it's like we're going to have to see, We're gonna have to see.
Speaker 2: I think maybe this is a rebuilding year. Maybe this is like maybe last year we were it's a transitional period.
Speaker 1: It's a transitional period.
Speaker 2: Maybe this year we can build some new traditions.
Speaker 4: Yeah, outside of brands, Outside of brands, it will be hard.
Speaker 1: It will be hard. I'm not seeing any a lot of you know, communal pot lucks happening.
Speaker 2: Yeah, how well, celest we haven't dug into your feelings. Yeah, how do you feel about Pride?
Speaker 1: Where are you at with Pride as a concept this year?
Speaker 3: I missed Pride last year because I was traveling m Okay with my girlfriend.
Speaker 4: Oh who I have won? So I kind of feel excited to be here this year. But it's not feeling as.
Speaker 3: Like both like intents about like the parties, and it's not feeling as like I.
Speaker 4: Do some panels or whatever.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I don't really know, Like I think we're gonna have to see.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I love Pride, you do I do?
Speaker 1: What do you like about it?
Speaker 4: I like that it's like everyone has to play.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh that's a good point.
Speaker 3: You know, like it's like can't opt out exactly. It's actually a lot like birthday. It's like it's my birthday, I'm going to stay out. Yeah, you know, it's like we all have to gather because it only happens once a year and involves us all because we love.
Speaker 2: I think also what's it also has a thing I love a communal day like in general and like like for example, like I think the comparison is my parents are not like religious, but like Easter comes and they're like, well, we're celebrating what we're doing something, and that's sort of my like religship. I think.
Speaker 3: I also think, like, okay, how do I put this? I think it's like what may pride so like delicious in the past few years, like maybe before yeah, I think before this year was that it was like it harkened to the time of like a monocultural celebration point which was so rare, and now monoculture is a little bit back, and I think it's making it less like there's less of a craving past something we're all doing.
Speaker 4: Do you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Well, I actually, you know, the study of whether or not monoculture is back is approximately ninety percent of what both of us think about. So I do need you to make your argument about why you think monocultures.
Speaker 4: You guys have different opinions about this.
Speaker 1: I think we have relatively relatively similar opinions about it.
Speaker 4: I think there have been a few moments within the past, like Barbinheimer nine to twelve months.
Speaker 3: Yes, starting maybe with Barbenheimer, but Taylor Swift, Taylor Swift, even Espresso then the eclipse, yeah, even the Olympics coming.
Speaker 1: This is interesting because we were saying that is actually an example of how monoculture is not back, because can you believe I.
Speaker 3: Didn't like the feeling of me saying something and you guys both saying no.
Speaker 1: Episode, and I really and and by the way, I want to be on your side because no one is a bigger Olympics stand than me. I mean, it is literally my culture, of course. And I we were at we did our live show in Los Angeles last week's shout out to the tu awesome.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was really awesome.
Speaker 4: That's cool.
Speaker 1: And one of the things we did for our famous segment based on your copy, based on your trademark copyright issue there yet was the Olympics, and every single person in the room was like wait what.
Speaker 2: They were like, it's in Paris this year.
Speaker 1: It's embarrassed, wait this summer, and we were like I was. I in fact, it was like, yeah, it's starting in like a couple of weeks and people were like, no, I don't.
Speaker 3: And I was know what that's true, like you are not hearing about the Olympics, and people keeping like.
Speaker 2: He had no idea, like.
Speaker 1: The Oscars, like you know how the Oscars is fully and by the way, the mechalo this year also did not feel monocultural, right.
Speaker 2: It literally felt like.
Speaker 4: That's I guess what I'm saying about pride.
Speaker 1: Like you're I'm allowing this, but you're hear.
Speaker 3: Hear no, no, no, hear me, because it's like, because there are other things that are satiating us to all talk to, like our parents and our friends and our teachers and creatures about the regular things aren't feeling oh.
Speaker 4: Like they're making a big splash.
Speaker 1: So you're saying because of the monocultural impact of espresso Barbenheimer and the Eclipse, the met Gala and the Olympics are less pride, and pride are less monocultural.
Speaker 4: Rented what else.
Speaker 2: So you're I think this is genius. A lot of we are being well fed monoculture wise.
Speaker 4: Exactly, so we don't need to eat.
Speaker 1: So there's less pressure on pride to be monoculture that's what you're saying. And we can make it our own.
Speaker 3: Is that not that there's less pressure, just that there's less like we don't need it as bad.
Speaker 2: It's like when you have a lot of vacation time. Yeah, Like if you're like on vacation for a month, you don't need to like party every night. Well, I'm I've got enough time.
Speaker 4: Exactly. You should talk more about vacation in this shirt.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, you are so and actually.
Speaker 4: Kind of white shirt is kind of vacation, that's true.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: Really me, I'm.
Speaker 4: In midtown with my shirt.
Speaker 2: I feel like this is all I feel like. You're brilliant.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, you know, my dream, of course, is to be able to be one of those fashionable gay man that is wearing the simplest possible outfit and yet you look like you're in head to toe.
Speaker 2: You're pretty close to that, though.
Speaker 1: I do think I think I maybe need different shoes but I think like a Crisp Oxford shirt, Gene, I think.
Speaker 4: You're like a basic legend.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would agree with that.
Speaker 3: That you're a basic legend. You're pretty much like a splash of water in the face to mean from me, like hello you.
Speaker 1: I mean you do have you to take fashion risks, but when you're at your most blazer, you are basic legends exactly.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I feel really understood right now, not like before.
Speaker 1: How many blazers do you own?
Speaker 2: You can't just ask someone that.
Speaker 4: Allow it five or six?
Speaker 1: Okay, because I've always wondered is it that you have one and it's your signature, or is it that there are a few and there there is very subtle.
Speaker 4: I like to vary it up, but I like to look the same time.
Speaker 3: I don't want someone to see me and say, oh, you know, when you're wearing something that you don't normally wear and then people like are complimenting it, and you're like.
Speaker 1: You're you're offending me.
Speaker 3: Well you I know that what you're feeling is I'm looking different, and so you're saying I like your sweater exactly.
Speaker 4: I don't like that.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: I actually have reached a point where I think all compliments are insults, They're just notices.
Speaker 4: It should be you should be able to notice something more easily in our culture.
Speaker 2: But how much would it hurt for someone to be like, hey, are noticing your sweater? No, exactly, that would be miserable, Like.
Speaker 4: You're wearing a shirt that I'm seeing.
Speaker 2: It's crazy, I see. I have a different approach obviously to what clothes. If you want to be a basic legend, I feel like I want to always be like, oh, you think I can't do that. I can do that. Oh you think I can't. Oh I can do that.
Speaker 4: I really love to be like, don't say to me that I can't do that, because.
Speaker 2: I'm doing it right now.
Speaker 1: Well, but you, I mean your entire fashion. Uh oh, you could hurt your entire fashion. Outlook is basically reclaiming various elements of Americana. That can be anything from cowboys, true the cowboy. It can be school boy, it can be midwestern dad. It can be like, you know, construction worker. But it is various different forms of American masculinity. And you're waking up every day and you're saying, which of them am I going to interrogate?
Speaker 4: No, that's you're our American boy.
Speaker 2: I do love to do that. I can't help it. I've gotten so addicted to Western stuff since.
Speaker 1: I mean, Sam was wearing these cowboy boots and he told me I bought cowboy boots. I said, right, I believe it when I see it. These are like some of the best cowboy boots I've ever seen.
Speaker 3: I mean, I would love to see that. I would love to see you wearing those.
Speaker 2: I almost wore them to New York, but I said, that's going to take up so much space.
Speaker 1: Yeah, at that point, you would have to wear them on the plane. And suddenly you're the person taking off cowboy boots. You're the thing they're like, is he.
Speaker 2: Right wing when you take whenever you take off cowboy boots. Yeah, it implies so much because it's really like like I was that these like my parents' friend's house, and I like took off my cowboy boots and I was immediately like, oh, I'm a little boy. Like they think I'm a little boy. They think I like got bonked on the head and I think I'm.
Speaker 4: In the motion. There's like they're just to take them off.
Speaker 1: Like very like yeah, like a cartoon of like short man wearing boots and then takes them off and he's cartoonishly shorter. He's like a foot shorters.
Speaker 4: Of course, Like it really changes who you are.
Speaker 1: Can I say something about cowboy boots? I actually think I do not feel safe enough to reclaim cowboy boots in any way, Like to me, they are still a symbol of like the George W.
Speaker 4: Bush E finished, well, that's exactly what Sam's fashion like.
Speaker 2: M O.
Speaker 1: Yes, because you were saying anything, you think I can't do that?
Speaker 4: Oh I can do that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that's sometimes at backfires, but every once in a while.
Speaker 1: Huh, you think I.
Speaker 4: Can do that?
Speaker 2: I can do that.
Speaker 1: That should be the title of your memoir.
Speaker 2: Do you think I can't do that?
Speaker 1: Question? Mark, I could do that.
Speaker 2: Period.
Speaker 3: The feeling that I'm having saying those words is like eating a candy.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I had another thing recently that I didn't think was weird. I was eating with Claire Ocaine recently and I was like, I'll have a cold brew and Claire was like, oh, I don't see coldbrew on the menu, and I was like, I didn't see it anyway. I just said it. It was like, that's so crazy, and I was like, that's not crazy. It's a restaurant. I'm sure they'll have it.
Speaker 4: Did they They did? Of course.
Speaker 1: Do you ever order off menu at restaurants?
Speaker 4: Of course not.
Speaker 2: No, I would.
Speaker 1: I would rather literally like rip out my shirt and perform a Satanic ritual in the middle of La Cirque than order than be like, can I just have two sliced tomatoes with some ev on top?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: No, for food, I would never ever for drinks something.
Speaker 4: There are people that who don't try to be with us.
Speaker 3: If you're with us, you're with us. But if you're not, it's okays.
Speaker 1: Actually, but I do agree that for drinks, I'm like, if there's a bar, you should be able to make anything I asked for. I am not looking at To me, there's no there's no bigger defeat than looking at a cocktail menu. Like, have a sense of self and know what you want and trust your gut. Yeah, do not order the you know red hot fire emoji.
Speaker 2: You know what I wish? Actually, I wish they would hand you the be like, and here's our cocktail menu and have some amazing options. You open it and just sys like lauram if some Laura I like I get that they want to hand you something, but it's sort of like your best Yeah, no.
Speaker 1: They should the next time they hand me one, I'm gonna rip ribb it into tiny pieces of throwing out.
Speaker 4: And that's a polite that's a polite thing to do.
Speaker 2: That's what they do in friends.
Speaker 4: Yes, Oh my god, what is it again? I didn't see it. I just didn't see it. I just that's amazing, Sam, that's another great title.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that one. Really. I was like, and sometimes you know, when you're reflected back, you're like, whoa, I didn't realize.
Speaker 4: It's kind of the origin of you think I can't do that.
Speaker 2: I can do that. Wow?
Speaker 1: Should we do our first segment? I almost want to just get it out of the way so we can get into the meet.
Speaker 4: What are the segments have done?
Speaker 2: I wonder you're about to find out? Well, this one, since we're doing this is a very special Pride episode Stadio Lab. So we're gonna do our famous gay Lab segment Gay Shooters. Oh yes, oh right, yeah, so it's a little bit different. It's a twist on the famous segment straight Shooters of course. Yeah.
Speaker 1: By the way, I I knew that the entire time and wrote those.
Speaker 2: I wrote mine with that in mind. Of course, of course I knew that as well.
Speaker 4: I'm so proud of you guys. I've done so many episodes.
Speaker 1: We actually have done Infinity episodes. Just for the first podcast to do Infinity episode.
Speaker 2: It actually is kind of crazy because in my mind, I'm still like we're just getting started. It's like we've done this since it's been like four years.
Speaker 4: Yes, I was on I think in twenty four you.
Speaker 2: Are on pre pandemic. Yes, yeah, you were on pre Pandemic.
Speaker 3: And I was thinking on my commute over here that I remember the commute to the first episode being very long.
Speaker 2: It was like and.
Speaker 4: Once again took me kind of a bit to get here.
Speaker 1: Respect, I mean, to go from Bushwick to Midtown is the ultimate hero's journey?
Speaker 3: Well well, I mean that was there's money, that was there's lights in this room, yeah, argue. Well, yes, well, so many episodes, and I just am proud, Like legit.
Speaker 4: I was looking at the episodes and I was like, they have truly done so many since I was here.
Speaker 3: Many so and even trying to come up with a topic, one could say it was impossible. Yeah, which kind of brought me to.
Speaker 1: My well, I will say, you're I respect that it was impossible. Course, I respect it was impossible, but you are, in fact, only the second guest to ever do a gay topical. So there.
Speaker 4: I wasn't really thinking that. I was more going, what should I talk about? Even one thing? Yeah, totally, that's actually we'll get into it.
Speaker 2: Well. I also do want to say a little bit. You know, I appreciate you saying you're proud of us. There's something it's about saying for doing so many episodes that sounds a little bit like I'm noticing your shirt. Yeah, I do think it's not. Sort of, there's there's been no value.
Speaker 4: Judgment, so I said a long time.
Speaker 2: But yeah, there's just a lot of episodes and the amount of time that has been spent on this.
Speaker 4: Let me try again.
Speaker 1: No, No, I think you said enough, and I think it's time to do our first segment.
Speaker 2: Gay show.
Speaker 4: I think you should go.
Speaker 1: So, so that's in this segment, we test your familiarity with and complicity in gay culture by asking you a series of rapid fire questions where you have to choose this thing or this other thing. Sam take it.
Speaker 2: Away, okay, Neil Patrick Harris or Michael Patrick King.
Speaker 1: Neil guilty on thirty four counts or milking an herbivore cow.
Speaker 2: Cow Okay, the mark of the beast, or the mark that you met at the feast, the.
Speaker 4: Mark that you met at the feast.
Speaker 1: Mean girls or bean dip.
Speaker 2: Bean dip obviously, having a rich cultural heritage or having a rich father doesn't give a shit. Oh damn that.
Speaker 4: This segment has changed since I was here.
Speaker 1: No, no, it's I do remember in the beginning we would do like maybe one silly one, but then the rest would literally be like blue or black right right, whereas now there are.
Speaker 4: Like gorgeous like wordplay.
Speaker 1: Well, we've you know, we've put it on a lot of top ten thousand hours.
Speaker 4: Ye, Malcolm, can I get Can I get yours again?
Speaker 2: Sam? Yeah, it was having a rich cultural heritage or having a rich father doesn't give a shit.
Speaker 4: Rich father who doesn't give a ship totally.
Speaker 1: The Pope is homophobic or I hope it isn't COVID the pope.
Speaker 2: Okay, praying to God or blowing your wat Oh that's good.
Speaker 4: Praying to God.
Speaker 1: Caviatelly with broccoli, rob and sausage, or Donna Tella VERSACEI is a boss bitch.
Speaker 4: Is a boss bitch?
Speaker 2: Wow?
Speaker 4: That was really good.
Speaker 2: No, that was amazing. What do you think sleast got?
Speaker 1: Well, I'm trying, I was trying to remember. Do we, for Gatio lab change the meter from zero to one thousand doves to something else? Maybe we go zero to negative one thousand, you know, but holes and and and kind of go into a more queer art of failure. So the less the less of a oh or you have, the lower score you have, the better you did wow or something along those lines.
Speaker 2: Sure, well in that case, in that case, I.
Speaker 1: Think you got negative nine hundred twenty seven butt holes out of how many?
Speaker 4: Again?
Speaker 1: Negative one thousand? Pretty good, pretty good, pretty deep, pretty good.
Speaker 4: This podcast has really changed since I was last year.
Speaker 2: What are the changes? Yeah, what are the changes?
Speaker 4: You're not remember a score?
Speaker 1: I mean obviously you don't remember the scoresman, No, no, first step, we came up with the score like sort of as we went. Certainly the score was you know, canonized by the time you did your second appearance, but not when you.
Speaker 2: Recorded because CHROMATICA hadn't come out yet. Exactly.
Speaker 1: It's it's zero to one thousand, doves normally.
Speaker 4: Do you believe I was on post pre.
Speaker 1: Chromatic one of the rare dramatic agains.
Speaker 2: I mean that is wild actually, and you were.
Speaker 1: Yeah, first live show we ever did issue there yet?
Speaker 2: Right, Wow, how have you changed? Yeah? How have you changed? You look really different. Yeah, a lot of work done.
Speaker 4: Huh yeah, just my nose, I think.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you got a nose inserted in the back of your before your before your face was flat.
Speaker 4: I have been on the front and the back. We should do more characters, I agree.
Speaker 2: Now, what would your debut character be, mister Gringer? I love that one.
Speaker 1: That's one of your classic characters.
Speaker 4: Yeah, got me, Yeah exactly.
Speaker 1: They said, great character, we're going to make them a writer.
Speaker 4: You've shown that you can do development and premise work really well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what matters in this industry, in this town, in this town, this towndging.
Speaker 4: Over the mics.
Speaker 2: So that's.
Speaker 4: That's part of mister finger Beans.
Speaker 2: Get into it.
Speaker 1: Bringer Beans is the.
Speaker 3: Name careful making fun of me because recurring segments for the whole for the rest of the time describe.
Speaker 1: What are mister gringer beans qualities?
Speaker 3: I guess the way I came up with it was. I couldn't think of one single.
Speaker 4: Word or last thing that's part of his story. I didn't know.
Speaker 1: Well for anyone watching it home, you sort of did an exaggerated uh scratch, face scratch. So maybe part of mister gringer Bean is like little what don't keep going the little these little things everyone does, uh little dressers. Okay, yes, little dressers, crossing your legs, clapping, snapping your fingers, rubbing your eyes, eyes base exactly. It is someone who in all other ways is normal, has clipped this.
Speaker 2: By the way, no, this is a clip. This is the clip that's going viral. Don't say don't clip this. We're in the middle of clipping. This is currently on Instagram.
Speaker 4: That's why I'm saying. I want That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: We need.
Speaker 1: I want people to do front facing camera work where they do their impression mister gringer Beans, And here it is. It is someone living their normal life and then they have to make some small gesture and exaggerated cartoonishly to the point where it's so funny.
Speaker 2: Okay, so this is mister gringer Beans when he wants you to like, uh, you said something, but it was a little too quiet.
Speaker 1: Okay, this is mister gringer Beans where he's in a panel discussion, uh, post film screening, and he just is going to cross his legs and so then I thought, whoa.
Speaker 2: Damn go with? That shows wholes is. Yeah, I had no idea.
Speaker 1: No, I didn't know that makes such an impact.
Speaker 4: It was really good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, mister well, this is another element of mister gringer Beans. He has a really active sex.
Speaker 1: Like yo, well, yes, can you imagine how yes sex?
Speaker 2: Are you kidding me? Oh? It's wilde?
Speaker 1: His arms and legs are not. Okay, so let's it's your turn for clipping this.
Speaker 3: This is mister gringer Beans when a little bit of hair is bothering him on his face.
Speaker 1: That's good, this is good, amazing. Yeah, it's so sad that.
Speaker 3: I know you trust that you would be seeing mister played by Bowing huge.
Speaker 2: Do you guys remember that show? Was it like the Fossy Show with Williams? Yes? When she did mister gringer Beans, Wait, yes, where she goes? You know who else is?
Speaker 1: So mister gringer Beans carry Bradshaw sometimes like Carrie Brad Bradshaw literally just walking on the Street and she's like Carrie knocking on the restaurant.
Speaker 2: You don't get it. It's like she's like.
Speaker 3: Full Marionette's literally the first limb is connected with the string, first woman Marionette, who's the star up her own show.
Speaker 2: This is crazy. What's weird about this is that from now on, whenever someone's like being a little overly expressive, I'll refer to it as being a little mister.
Speaker 1: And like, you know, in theater or in film, like when a four minutes is so mister Gringer Beans. Yeah, you know who's so, mister ginger Beans, Thurman and you know who else? Kerry Washington, Oh, totally.
Speaker 4: I try to think of one.
Speaker 1: I think the most obvious one is Nicholas Cage.
Speaker 4: I think there's so many coming to you.
Speaker 2: You're really good at this.
Speaker 4: Hmm.
Speaker 2: You think is ginger Beans.
Speaker 4: Beans? Because my thing.
Speaker 2: I do not wait.
Speaker 1: I think to me is almost could use a little more Grainger Beans. No offense, of course, no. I said that as a fan.
Speaker 2: I'm a huge fan.
Speaker 1: I think if mister Gringer Beans gave her a little training and said, you know, maybe in moments of real dramatic tension, let's go a little more gringer beans.
Speaker 3: Yeah, too scared of a clip to say more about Okay, yeah, okay, but DM me.
Speaker 2: Why ginger beans?
Speaker 4: I decide what beans is?
Speaker 1: Their's yes, and that's the one at It's like there's a definition of gringer beans, but then it's also and also whatever.
Speaker 2: So yeah, yeah, I can't think of a single actor Trump, Trump, I can't believe.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, you guys are having a lot of difficulty.
Speaker 4: Coming up No beans, scholar.
Speaker 2: The thing. The thing is, I'm so this is something I need to like work on with a therapist, is trying to recall any single actor. Because as soon as someone's like, what actor could do this, I'm like, I'm very like I didn't do the reading, like I know actors. But for some reason, as soon as someone is like, well name one, I'm like, mister greener.
Speaker 4: Beans, what are you trying to say about?
Speaker 2: That's like, no, I know that you wrote that like for months, like I know that that.
Speaker 1: Was wrote it for everyone when you did the packet to do this show.
Speaker 4: That was what was obliged to bring it up.
Speaker 1: Well, okay, I got I would love to get into the gay topic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, celebration of pride. Yeah, I think that would be amazing.
Speaker 1: I mean, I hate to there is a part of me that wants to keep talking about mister greener beans because I kind of want him to have like a specific look so that people can dresses him for.
Speaker 4: Hell, we of course, but we come back, we can.
Speaker 2: Come back to it. We can come back to it.
Speaker 1: And actually, maybe his look can't even incorporated topic.
Speaker 4: I bet it.
Speaker 1: Well, what is your gay topic that you brought today? And maybe a little on what makes it gay for you?
Speaker 4: Of course, so I know it's pride at the time of listening.
Speaker 1: Needless to say, it's pride.
Speaker 3: And I know that a lot of podcast guests for the gay episode of Stradio Lab, they would bring in poppers, they would bring in loud music.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sex, sure.
Speaker 4: Dinner parties x jealousy. Oh yeah, I thought. I'm not going to do that.
Speaker 3: I'm going to dig deep and I'm going to definitely not just be trying to think of one single topic to talk about. I am going to bring in something that I think, much like many other topics on the podcast, are unexpected.
Speaker 4: For the task.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just think it's important to let them cook. Just it feels like they're stalling.
Speaker 4: Remember when I brought in mister Gans.
Speaker 1: I just the mind that brought you, mister Green. And you're gonna say they're going long.
Speaker 2: It just feels like you're like waiting for, like maybe to run out the clock, like maybe like.
Speaker 4: If I keep on your wrong enough, I can just leave.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because George has a hard out if I remember correctly.
Speaker 4: So my topic is umbrella.
Speaker 1: Okay, so tell us why you think that's gay.
Speaker 4: Umbrellas are made for when it's writing. Well, that is true, so they're already special. They are made for.
Speaker 3: A a type of day that actually in most cases.
Speaker 4: Comes with winds, comes with.
Speaker 3: Lightning, and these are impossible circumstances for an umbrella to work within.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, umbrellas are lying to them.
Speaker 3: Like so yes, it leads me to believe that umbrellas are are not here for what they're stated to be here for, and they're actually here to look gorgeous.
Speaker 1: So the umbrella metaphor, okay, in the umbrella metaphor, what they're here for is like to have a nuclear family, to get married, to have procreative sex. But instead they're like, actually, watch me twirl.
Speaker 4: Actually you don't think I can do that I can do that.
Speaker 2: Interesting?
Speaker 1: Is so interesting love that, Like it is really about them failing to do the things, failing to do the thing they were put on the starts to do, while also being so also the ornamental element of it, like the fake you're pretending that this is functional, but it's actually just stunning.
Speaker 4: It's completely gorgeous.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Like I totally get why when they got to the design they got to they were like.
Speaker 4: It's done.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's pretty much people buy this. You know.
Speaker 1: It's also so you know by on it it's very like Janelle Manet Electric Lady.
Speaker 2: Well, it's dramatic. It's dramatic.
Speaker 1: It is futurist, Yeah it is.
Speaker 2: You have like it's honestly a little steampunk, very hard.
Speaker 4: Sure, but also like.
Speaker 1: Renaissance, like Beyonce he renaissance. Yeah, she would totally be carrying an umbrella.
Speaker 3: It's it exists across like it can I can picture it anywhere?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: Yeah, so you know what else it is speaking about Fosse, it's very having an umbrella and doing a little dance.
Speaker 2: I mean it's made for Corey, It's.
Speaker 1: Made for choreo. Actually that's actually what it's made for. What was I made for that's the umbrella when she realized that she was choreo of course.
Speaker 2: Because it's such a fun extension and it's like a little I think the implication that's practical makes it work so well in choreo exactly because you're like, oh, I didn't well, I thought that was for work, and you're like, nope, it's for And.
Speaker 1: Also, by the way, it is so impractical, and that is what also makes it queer because talk about where do you even put it? Like, if you don't have a bag, you have to just be carrying it around. If you do have a bag, you're gonna put a wet nylon tarp inside your bag where your copy of you know, Emma Clin's the guest is that you're reading for the summer.
Speaker 2: I literally just guess I just picked it up.
Speaker 1: Oh and now I have it's fucking wet.
Speaker 2: Great. Well this, I'm never supporting any bookstore again.
Speaker 1: I wording a bookstore again. Let alone women.
Speaker 3: Right, it's down, it's water that never escapes the bag.
Speaker 4: The bag just remains wet if you put an umbrella in there.
Speaker 2: I okay. An umbrella to me is like I think the lining to itself. It's very like the umbrella is like waking up and having like a big to do list and be like, I'm going to get this done today, and then it's like you're gonna get three things done.
Speaker 5: Oh.
Speaker 1: If you don't think the umbrella has ADHD, you're lying.
Speaker 2: Eighty eight.
Speaker 1: The umbrella is literally neurodivigin queen down.
Speaker 2: Okay, Okay. The other thing about it, I do think there's something so the way that umbrellas are always lost, Like right, that's the other thing that's like there's something that's it's like every gay movie where it's like has this deep sadness. Inevitably it's built in and it's like an umbrella is meant to be you are it will make you sad.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's like like a gay friend.
Speaker 4: You don't know really how it got to you, but when you have it, it's yours. Yeah, then you can leave it somewhere.
Speaker 1: And it's communal.
Speaker 2: It's communit it's communal. It's promiscuous, right, miscuous.
Speaker 1: Yes, Oh, it's passed around like the town bicycle.
Speaker 4: It's impossible to keep one.
Speaker 2: Oh, I mean it's pretty anti capitalist. You cannot own an umbrella.
Speaker 1: You can't own an it owns.
Speaker 3: You can also range in like value and price. I mean like nothing else.
Speaker 2: I will say the range the golf umbrellas though that's very republican. I agree.
Speaker 1: Golf umbrellas is like that they're really big and.
Speaker 2: Very like well made. Of course, yeah, I mean that.
Speaker 1: Is the that is the like gay ceo, Like that is the umbrella that wants to it's pee bota. But I almost think there's something interesting about pe because of course he started out as gay CEO, but because he was made Secretary of Transportation, which is kind of the gayest position you can have. I'm almost like it doesn't work anymore to use him as the good to example of like neoliberal gold guy, because I'm sort of like there's something about what he's doing that is actually so like perfume genius is like the perfume genius of being a gay sell out.
Speaker 2: This is like a brand new I've never heard this take in my life, Like this is the thing. There is really something genius about this.
Speaker 1: Like if he had succeeded, that would have been a different story. But like he's what Biden's little bitch and he has to like go fix the trains.
Speaker 2: Wait, I love this.
Speaker 4: You're being amazing right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is I needed to hear this.
Speaker 1: Like, I actually don't think Pete is golf umbrella. I think Pete is. You know what I think Pete is. It's like an umbrella that has the logo of a big company or a hotel. Yeah, but that was given for free and the quality is actually not very good.
Speaker 4: I think it's like, but you, that's your umbrella that you have, Yes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: It's like Hilton Honors, Hilton Rewards program umbrella that you got because you stayed at your fiftieth Hilton and then that was sent to you along with the candle.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Can I talk about something else?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: Please, great transition by the way.
Speaker 4: It was.
Speaker 3: Yeah, can I talk about some the ouse now, little tiny umbrella that comes in a drink?
Speaker 4: Also don't work.
Speaker 1: No good?
Speaker 2: Talk about work no good.
Speaker 4: Not be working at all?
Speaker 2: Good, don't not be working, but works better than it should exactly. Also like a decoration.
Speaker 1: Sorry, when it comes to literally its job, which is being fabulous, it's getting tens across the board.
Speaker 2: I mean the fact that they make them to open and.
Speaker 4: Close, it's amazing.
Speaker 2: Why do they make them?
Speaker 4: But they're immediately broken.
Speaker 2: They come broken.
Speaker 3: They don't stay though, because they have you know, they have that tiny elastic that keeps it up. And then all of a sudden, like you're like four cips in, You're like where the elastic go?
Speaker 4: Yeah, now doesn't stay up. It's crazy.
Speaker 3: Even the esthetic like, oh my god, I'm so even the aesthetic replication of the real umbrella.
Speaker 4: Rat like matches.
Speaker 3: Yes, the original like function and intent, which is that it doesn't work.
Speaker 4: It looks gorgeous. Period.
Speaker 2: When those things stop being able to open and close, the little drink umbrellas, that's when you know society has fallen. Like there will be in our lives like stupid plastic ones that just.
Speaker 4: Aren't fake and stay open, open, no.
Speaker 2: And that will That's like when I'll go Republican. That was like this country used to mean something.
Speaker 4: You're bringing up Republican.
Speaker 2: I do bring it up a lot. We both bring it up a lot. Yeah, thank you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's a worry of yours.
Speaker 1: I think that it's sort of like it's just something that it's like it's a respectable way to be, like we don't want to make jokes about like suicide. It's like you would be like, oh, I'm going to kill myself if that happens. But like our version of that day, like I'm going to become a Republican.
Speaker 2: Do you think that's such? That's really funny.
Speaker 4: It's kind of kinds turned on I'm going to kill myself.
Speaker 1: You mean, like now that it's okay to say it. Now it's okay.
Speaker 4: No I'm saying it's like now it's not okay, it's not okay.
Speaker 3: Now I'm saying it's like way, way way over used.
Speaker 2: I see, I see.
Speaker 4: It used to be kind of like an inflammatory thing to say and edgything to say. It's that would like like be a guaranteed laugh, you know what I mean, And now it's a bit like why are you saying that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I know there is something about specificity. For a while I thought maybe the way around that would was being like walk into the ocean, jump off a window, jump off a cliff, still off a cliff, but it does it's over, it's over. People don't do that so much already. Well they jump off a cliff.
Speaker 4: It's over for me. But all respect.
Speaker 3: My new thing that I've been saying that could be maybe a segment if you guys.
Speaker 4: Yeah, please, is all respect everyone who's ever lived.
Speaker 3: Oh, it's mostly what I'm about to say something mean I do.
Speaker 2: I always respect.
Speaker 1: I always everyone who ever lived, everyone, everyone.
Speaker 4: Who has ever lived.
Speaker 2: I will live respectful of.
Speaker 4: That person's being a bitch.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I always say I say this with love. I would say that's one of my signature phrase.
Speaker 2: Is love love.
Speaker 3: But well, I guess like I want my respect to be true. It's like, listen, everyone's on their own yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, life path.
Speaker 1: But I also think I say it with love. I mean it semi earnestly because it's like sometimes pointing out someone's flaw is the purest expression of love, because it means you see them for who they are.
Speaker 2: I was thinking today, I was bringing myself to tears thinking about how much I like critique.
Speaker 3: Myself, getting yourself there, I was getting Yeah, well, I was just like, what is critique?
Speaker 2: Like? We're all watching and consuming things, yes, and it's like but you experience it in your own head and you're like, Okay, I felt this way about it. I wonder if there's anyone who feels similarly. We can put that into words, right, I love consuming critiques. Yeah, that are like nuanced and like you like but accurate, like when they hit something that is like, oh, that's it. I wish I could have put that into words. I'm like, I love a good critique.
Speaker 1: I mean, of course, that's why it's so like intellectually dishonest to be like, oh, critics, Like why don't you make something if you're such a critic. It's like, well, maybe criticism is making something. It completely literally making ideas, which is harder than.
Speaker 3: Making an umbrella, like trying to measure how close or far you are to something else.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, and obviously there are as. There are bad artists, there are bad critics.
Speaker 1: That's I think the issue is we need to be more honest about the fact that there are good critics and bad critics, because I think what ends up happening is you put all of them in one box. It's like me waking up and being like all filmmakers are bad because I just saw the idea of you, right right, that's not fair.
Speaker 4: I'm still stuck on bringing myself to tears. That's mister.
Speaker 1: That is actually what is mister Gregor Beans, is you having like sort of like a normal thought and crying.
Speaker 2: Because of it.
Speaker 3: I was really like, forgetting yourself to cry about something.
Speaker 2: I love that very emotional, but I.
Speaker 4: Know, yeah, I'm going to do an act out of bringing yourself to tears.
Speaker 2: I think I was literally like in the Chipotle at eleven fifteen am.
Speaker 1: Sometimes I yeah, sometimes I bring myself to tears. When I think about my relationship with Sam, I'm like, we've been through so much together it still is only getting deeper, and I'm still excited to talk and critique with him every single time we see.
Speaker 4: True, it's the sweetest thing I've ever heard. Do you have a specialist?
Speaker 1: We've learned, though, to occasionally text each other I miss you, which is huge for me, Yeah, because we used to be about it checking in difficult. Well well not just that, but also I think both of us struggle with being earnest and with like straightforwardly being like I miss you.
Speaker 3: It's really yeah, I feel that you too, like are like my special guys for that, like I'm not relating to you guys not being able to do that because every time I see you booth it's like, okay, sweetee, I.
Speaker 1: See well yeah, yeah, but don't you think there's a sort of okay, how do I phrase this.
Speaker 2: I like, you've been doing some expert throat clearing today, and I know it's for like a practical reason, but I find you is it grainger beans?
Speaker 1: It's my throat clearing green.
Speaker 2: It might be ginger beans. I'm sorry, it really no. I like gringer beans is a beloved of Carol.
Speaker 4: It's a compliment. Oh that if someone says it's granger beans, it's good.
Speaker 1: Okay, Oh, I know what I was about to say. There's a sort of uh, counterintuitive things that happens when you're so close with someone it becomes more difficul to express. Yeah, that intimacy because it's a given, because the given, and because when you express it it feels forced or it feels contrived. It's almost like imagine you know what it is. It's like imagine watching Casablanca and then having to rate it on letterboxed. Do you know what I'm trying to say? Yes, it's so self evidently a masterpiece that it is so beside the point to be like, hmmm, five stars.
Speaker 2: I found the characters interesting, exactly.
Speaker 1: And so in the same way, when someone is you know, like a sister to you, and then you and then you're like, hey, by the way, don't forget I love you. It's like, okay, well, celest, you're good.
Speaker 2: At expressing your emotions.
Speaker 1: Thank you, And that's all I have to say about that.
Speaker 3: Okay, I think I agree with what you're saying.
Speaker 4: Practically, I always think it's nice.
Speaker 1: I agree, I ultimately agree, and I ultimately always appreciate when someone does express I don't think you're good at it.
Speaker 3: I love you. You know what else about Gregor beans.
Speaker 1: And thank you for bringing it back?
Speaker 3: It is the perfect It's it's actually so Gregor beans being a good thing is the solution to their not being a nice way to say noticing your shirt. Yes, it's like someone's doing something big, like someone's using more steps than they have.
Speaker 4: To being ginger beans. But that's I say this with I.
Speaker 2: Say this with love. You're being gringer beans.
Speaker 3: Gringer beans is all respect to everyone because it's.
Speaker 2: Not good or bad. It's I would argue, it's good. It is good.
Speaker 4: That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Gringer beans is synonymous with good.
Speaker 1: It's good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a type of good. It's a big good. Yeah, Like you can still notice someone's shirt if you don't like it, you can still say I'm noticing your shirt. But if you are noticing it and it's big and you like it, you say that suits exactly.
Speaker 1: Oh I see, I see, I see. Because I'm thinking, I feel though, Okay, I hesitate to complicate this because I think we're having such an amazing it's such an amazing do it.
Speaker 4: I feel pretty like secure, ye course.
Speaker 1: But I'm just thinking, like, okay, let's go back to my throat clearing. What if I I understand that at the level that I was doing it, it was adorable, it was incredible. I I I seemed so and I love you, But what if what if it really reached a point where it was so gringer Beans that it was like disrupting the podcast, or what if, for instance, going back to you know, Uma Thurman carry Washington, sometimes there Gringer Beans is actually negatively effected.
Speaker 3: I knew that that's that's what the calculus was in your head. But I think also those are like girls you love you love them because you know what I mean, because I saw you doing the math. Like, but I had said all those people or yes, that was legit.
Speaker 1: I also literally said Trump was Gregor be and so you know it is tough stuff.
Speaker 2: Maybe I do love. I mean he's using ging beans, he's.
Speaker 1: Using graingermans for evil. Of course, you can use Gringer beans for evil. I mean you can use anything for evil.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's like charm.
Speaker 4: That's so deep. Well, you can use anything you can.
Speaker 2: What can you not use for you?
Speaker 1: Well, I guess you can't for instance, a very obvious point. But it's like you can use philanthropy for evil.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but y'all already know there's one thing you can't use for evil.
Speaker 3: Love.
Speaker 4: Yeah, do you think let's think, let's.
Speaker 1: Think, well, I think definitely manipulate love and use it for evil, like if you are but.
Speaker 4: That's not love.
Speaker 1: Girl love that's your book title, but that's not love dot dot dot girl.
Speaker 2: Ol l.
Speaker 1: Okay, I mean this is I don't even think we have enough time right now. But like, is it true that when you use love for evil it stops becoming love?
Speaker 2: Yes? Do you think so? I don't think so. I think Like, let's say you're a mother and you love your daughter.
Speaker 1: And separately you're committing crimes.
Speaker 4: And then you blame it on her.
Speaker 2: No, let's say like Gypsy Rose.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, okay, hold on that, But I do think that's not love. Maybe you think did you think mother Gypsy loved daughter Gypsy?
Speaker 2: They're both named Gypsy? No, I just I just don't know their names.
Speaker 4: Don't bring up, don't confuse him already lost.
Speaker 1: I don't know, you know what, I think that's maybe something we have to throw out to the listeners.
Speaker 4: I feel really confident, you.
Speaker 2: Really feel I get it.
Speaker 1: You know what I actually appreciate about you. You have very clearly defined morality.
Speaker 4: People say that to me a lot. Yeah, Well, I wonder what that's coming from, because I don't know if that's true.
Speaker 1: You don't think that's true.
Speaker 4: I think I have like a regular sense of what I think is right and wrong.
Speaker 3: Well, I wonder if it's because I'm like being like randomly like two opinionated sometimes or something that people think.
Speaker 2: That your vocal about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I also think because they're you thinking it's regular, it is like part of it not being regular, Like you have such a strong sense of morality that you can't imagine anyone not having that strong sense of morality. Right, So you're like, well I'm regular, right again, Like I've kind of.
Speaker 3: Been feeling like that's coming from like may being stubborn or something. But maybe I have to like be practicing more love.
Speaker 1: But don't you think being stubborn. You can be stubborn and have bad morality.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 3: I'm just saying like maybe, like I just always wonder what that's what's being picked up on from me.
Speaker 4: I see that people think sad, I see but love you respect.
Speaker 1: And so many people have your exact morality, but they're not as like in your face about it is what you're saying. Yeah, Like I just am like, you're Grainger beans in morality?
Speaker 4: Hello you think that?
Speaker 2: I mean going back to going back to morale beans being good. It's like hell, going to a protest.
Speaker 1: Is Gringer beans in morale. It's like it's like God forbid, you have a private thought. You're going out and you're holding a sign. It's like, oh, I woke up saying I was like, I believe in equality. I have to be as loud about it as possible. Well, this is why would you say Jan six protesters were they were using Grainger beans? Yes, that was classic Ringer beans.
Speaker 4: Did you guys pass the rat today on the way?
Speaker 1: Oh no, no, no, no, no, no, I didn't see I didn't see her.
Speaker 4: That rat should be named that's ginger beans. That's love her, by the way I love her.
Speaker 1: Of course she's a legend. It's Cabby. It can't be the rat.
Speaker 4: It's can't be the rap.
Speaker 2: Hey, that would have been an amazing time to have a thought, but it just didn't have. No, we'll do it all on post.
Speaker 1: Go on, Yeah, sentence post is gonna sound like, you know in with Chris Hayes, I.
Speaker 2: Have one an umbrella based question.
Speaker 1: Oh yes, oh yeah about that?
Speaker 4: Yeah, me too.
Speaker 2: How do you to treat your umbrellas?
Speaker 4: I treat them.
Speaker 3: Like it's it's like a conversation or something. It's like it's not I don't own one, but I can have one when I'm with someone else. It's like so intangible to me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like it's not like.
Speaker 3: I like don't ever know where one is, Yeah, don't ever remember like if I brought one, But if I need one, it's like it's there.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: What I think is essentially identical in form, function, and spirit to an umbrella chapstick. It is something that does not do what it's meant to do very well. It is something that you literally always lose.
Speaker 2: No one has ever.
Speaker 1: Finished a tube of chapstick. It is something that you always have with you somehow, except for the one time you need it.
Speaker 3: Mm hmm.
Speaker 1: It is something that's like cheap enough, where it's you sort of like don't care. No one's ever like, oh god, I lost my chapstick as I'll have to save up next month, and you're calling in something queer and exactly it's something I mean, the idea of chapstick is literally the definition of campaus you're putting lipstick on, but it's not adding color.
Speaker 4: Yes, and the chapstick lesbian of course. Of course, what would an umbrella gay be?
Speaker 1: An umbrella gay? An umbrella like if someone if you're like, oh he's such an umbrella y.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Okay, this could be a couple of things.
Speaker 1: Okay, Yeah.
Speaker 2: I could see it being like almost like a dapper gay exactly. Yeah, Like it's sort of like I wear wool pants and like fetishize London. What's the word? See it kind of being tech gay where it's like I have like my pants are moisture wicking.
Speaker 4: And I could also see it being like lost my phone and wallet gay. Yeah, like where's my phone, where's my wallet? And my girl?
Speaker 2: Yeah, totally yeah.
Speaker 1: And his umbrella is like decrepit. It's like half of it is fully gone. One of the things is like poking a woman in the eye as he's walking.
Speaker 2: I mean, I never feel more like star of a movie than when I have a cheap umbrella and it's fully busted and flying in the wind and I'm like, oh, I'm this is the beginning of my movie, like down on my luck.
Speaker 4: What's amazing about an umbrella is like even the cheapest, most broken one and like and the most expensive good one like gives you this. They give you the same experience. Like you're getting wet, You're getting you're holding a big thing.
Speaker 2: You're getting some wet.
Speaker 4: An umbrella gay, an umbrella gay?
Speaker 2: It also okay, this is maybe I can't tell this is gay or straight about it actually, but walking with a friend starts pouring rain, there's one umbrella. Suddenly you're a couple. This doesn't matter.
Speaker 1: A couple. It's actually something I would love to talk about, which is and I think it relates to what you're saying. The use of umbrella as a metaphor meaning under the blank umbrella. Now here's the issue with that. Definitionally, if two people are under if multiple people are under an umbrella, it does not actually cover them, and it sort of fucks everyone over. So to say such and such as under the LGBTQ plus umbrella is almost being like watch out, your rights are under attack, Like the umbrella is not going to protect.
Speaker 2: Your bits, all your shoulders getting wet, all your shoulders are you're in.
Speaker 4: The place that the umbrella puts the water.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, exactly.
Speaker 4: It's crazy.
Speaker 1: There's a sense of at first glance, saying you are under an umbrella gives you a form of safety under your but it's like who's in the center of the umbrella and who's that the edge is getting more wet than if they didn't have umbrella to begin with.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, beautiful metaphor.
Speaker 4: That's crazy.
Speaker 2: That's crazy.
Speaker 4: So what kind of gig guy is that.
Speaker 2: Party promoter?
Speaker 4: Well, well, that's interesting because they're just like.
Speaker 2: Only because it's like like, yes, everyone's like it's a queer party. Everyone come, But it's like somebody, yeah, who do you know that umbrella is exclusive?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's a little like some of you are gonna be outside that's interesting.
Speaker 3: Okay, So maybe an umbrella gay is like the guy who like invites like half of a friend group over gatekeeper.
Speaker 2: Yeah, gatekeeper.
Speaker 1: Maybe umbrella is gatekeeper. It's like I'm holding the umbrella and I decide who goes under it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but there has to be an element of like the umbrellas doesn't work so good, that's the main proud Yeah, should we maybe try to approach it like from the drink, from the umbrella in the drink.
Speaker 1: Okay, so in terms of in terms of someone who is basically a gatekeeper, like a flop gatekeeper, someone who thinks they're.
Speaker 2: The head of the group.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh no, here's what it is. An umbrella gae someone who is always host always sending party full links, like always hosting parties, always sending party full links, close friends, close friends, everything else.
Speaker 2: But no one's like that into their events.
Speaker 4: That's interesting, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Yes, And there are people like that.
Speaker 1: Like always having some theme party, always wanting to host the pregame. They have this complex where they think they're the center of the group, but no one else really thinks so. But because someone else is stepping up to be the center, people are like, yeah, I guess we'll go to Jared's place.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that just is like one of the saddest things, Like that picture is like bumming me out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, welcome to umbrella.
Speaker 2: It's not. It's literally raining outside. Literally it's not supposed to be pleasant. It's not supposed to be pleasant.
Speaker 4: Welcome to umbrella.
Speaker 2: Welcome to umbrella.
Speaker 1: I do think on a more literal level too, you know, it's associated with rain. Rain. This is like very rain is queer in the sense that it's like a different thing that the sky can do, and it's rare, and it's rare. It's literally like if you add up the days and you're like, what percentage of days are raining, it's the same exact percentage of people who are queer it is.
Speaker 4: It's like it's a lot, but it's not. It's not. It's way less than the most minor of some places in some places. But I wish that we could find it like a way of explaining that's like a blase.
Speaker 1: Is of m top you know what I mean for an umbrella.
Speaker 4: Ga, you did all of that and you're like no, because I'm not going to say that, Oh you.
Speaker 1: Want sexually well, simple simple, yeah, simple, okay.
Speaker 2: An umbrella is okay, okay, an umbrella is someone who like talks about sex a lot, but like doesn't have sex very much.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's exactly it. No further questions.
Speaker 2: Q e D. Good job, thank you that that's in the vision.
Speaker 1: I love that. It's literally like the entire identity, the entire identity of umbrella is do you want to bring me in my rain and you're like, okay, I'll bring you, and then it's like, I'm shy.
Speaker 2: The Umbrella's literally like I'm gonna take every fucking job, like you're not gonna like exactly, exactly exactly, nothing will be love.
Speaker 4: Yeah, don't worry.
Speaker 1: Yeah, um come rain on me, rain on me. And then this guy does ray and the umbrellas like, oh I'm like sorry, sorry, sorry, oh I didn't know that.
Speaker 4: We win.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's good.
Speaker 4: Great cools are good. Agree?
Speaker 1: I agree, yes, I would say I certainly agree.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 4: I was pretty worried about that, you really. I was just like, I'm gonna have to stretch it.
Speaker 2: And it did. Though.
Speaker 1: I think I think you pushed us to some truths because you were I think many people when we start theorizing, are sort of like sure, girl, and.
Speaker 2: Then we like move on.
Speaker 1: You were but you were being very much like that's not a full thing, like that, You've shown your work and it doesn't quite add up. Let's keep going. Yeah, And in that sense, you are like the teacher. You're like Robin Williams and Goodwill Hunting, like you're the the or dead poets decide or whatever.
Speaker 4: The fuck both both.
Speaker 2: I mean I that's always what I struggled with is when they were like, okay, so but like write the conclusion. I was like, you read the whole thing right, that's.
Speaker 3: It right because it doesn't feel natural, but you have to in conclusion. But I felt like, like my last topics Christianity, di ecotomies, they were too dropped.
Speaker 1: Oh I see, yeah, well I wanted something.
Speaker 4: Yeah wow.
Speaker 1: I actually think a lot of people, and I think I would have this instinct to a lot of people come onto the podcast and think, the most intellectual thing I can do is pick the broadest possible thing is to be like, my topic is, you know, climate change.
Speaker 2: But in fact, the.
Speaker 1: Smaller I mean we've talked about this before, Smaller is big and big at small the smaller topic is the more you can dig deep and do more intellectual work.
Speaker 3: You've got to get specific, you gotta gets gay with because like legit, some things are not gay and not straight.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, you know it's really hard when people come on and they say something and I'm like, to be honest, I think that's.
Speaker 4: Gay, like their topic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I'm like, I'm trying to do but I like do fundamentally, like I think there's something interesting when it's like this podcast is complete fake, and then sometimes I'll.
Speaker 4: Be like, wait, the rules right, it's not like magic, you know, it's like fake.
Speaker 1: But it's like, yeah, if we like from the beginning, we were not that strict about the rules in a way that sometimes I'm like, well, don't make a mockery of it, Like let's go back and then let's do it again and be like really strict about it, because in fact, when we get into the zone of critique, we're dead serious. Language is literally the most important thing we have.
Speaker 3: I mean, what you're describing is like legit theater in plays, it's like I know that's a guy, but we have to be playing along and thinking through what is being said.
Speaker 4: Because then it's like I'm actually bored of what I'm saying, wow, wow.
Speaker 1: Talk about like the opposite of Gringer like giving up halfway through.
Speaker 2: That's Miss.
Speaker 1: Trinkle Tacks Drinkle Trinkle or wrinkle Trinkle. Miss Trinkle is mister Gringer Beans flop wife, because like he's constantly performing at every dinner party and she's like, oh too much.
Speaker 2: Like somebody's like, what did you do today, Miss Trinkle Tach And she's like, I what did I do next?
Speaker 4: Like she's like, it's like, how are you? She's like, I'm good.
Speaker 2: I love that she kept her last name.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, you know you have to draw the line.
Speaker 4: She's not still not fully Its.
Speaker 2: Like because of family pressure. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, also, mister ginger Beans is so wealthy of course, of course, hello talk about Gringer beans thing. It's having so much money, more than you need, more than you need beans stuff to talk about using Gringer beans for evil is accumulating.
Speaker 2: Well, all right, I love that couple that. I really like. I can see mister Beans.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean, what do you look like to you? Help me? Well, he's got one of those hats that's like rounded at the top of it's a monopoly man monopoly but there's.
Speaker 2: Like a yellow tie. Yeah, and he's like a little bit like like I see walking to every room sort of jokingly being you.
Speaker 1: Know what it is, Yeah, Monopoly yellow tie, but stilettos like bigger, like big pants.
Speaker 4: Why but like when he walks, it jingles jingle, jingle, jingle. He's amazing. Oh my god, I love him.
Speaker 2: I love him so much.
Speaker 4: Cute and he walks with the cane but he doesn't need it. It's an umbrella.
Speaker 2: It's an umbrella. Should we do our final segment? I think we have to.
Speaker 4: Are you stressed?
Speaker 1: I'm not stressed independently about other things in my life, as you know I'm doing after this recording, but current No, I'm certainly not.
Speaker 4: In the future.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know.
Speaker 1: One of the most powerful things is to literally be like the future doesn't exist yet, and therefore I can't think about it.
Speaker 4: I don't have to deal with that now.
Speaker 2: So let's normally our final segment of shout outs. But because we're doing our Pride episode, of which is Gadio lab our final segment is brand partner ships and in the style of your favorite LGBTQ plus creators, we want you to partner with anything that you're enjoying around the globe, people place these things ideas just you know, be excited to partner with them.
Speaker 1: And we're thinking of them on the spot just for everyone at home.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we don't know what we're gonna sew.
Speaker 4: You guys have something.
Speaker 1: I think I can whip something up, but it will be right now.
Speaker 2: When my mind is completely blank. So George, if you want to go, sure.
Speaker 1: Hey guys, I'm George. I'm a Canadian podcaster and LGBT creator and this June I'm partnering with Oxford Shirts. Oxford shirts are the most versatile shirt out there, and they're sort of in this really incredible space between casual and formal. You can dress them up, you can dress them down. And nothing says verse like being a proud LGBTQ American, especially in these times.
Speaker 2: So next time you're out.
Speaker 1: Whether you're protesting insert issue here or just going to your office job, put on an Oxford shirt. They come in white, blue, sometimes white and blue stripe in a way that can be really really cool, and you can wear them no matter what your gender is. And by the way, all genders are valid, just like all shirts are valid, whether they are Oxford or otherwise and go out there and use promo code George dot com.
Speaker 4: I didn't know you were giving is a website.
Speaker 1: Keep going to buy an Oxford shirt for your next event, and remember you guys, please go out and vote.
Speaker 4: That's amazing.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: Okay, hey everybody, I am You may have seen me on my podcast Stradio Lab, available now on everywhere you get your podcasts and including YOUTUBEO and I am so excited to announce my partnership with running into People at the Airport. I think running into people at the airport is one of the most LGBTQ friendly things you can do, because, you know, if you're traveling like me, you feel so lonely and you feel you're carrying your bags and you're you're you're without roots, and you say who am I? And then who is that? Oh? Why that's someone you know? Suddenly you're at home, you're feeling chosen family, You're feeling like the airport is your childhood home. And I just find it so fun and creates this interesting dynamic of sort of a you know what before midnight after sunset type vibe where you're like, do we hang out the whole time? Do we just talk for a little bit, are we Is this the moment we fall in love? And I think I'm so excited to partner with running into people into an airport And I think you guys should check it out into an airpuppert running into people, running out, running into people you know in an airport setting, and use promote code slay alma at checkout, say Sam Sentya.
Speaker 1: I wow, that was really good and I actually think that's a beautiful description of what it's like to run into people at the airport.
Speaker 4: You really got it right. Is it something you've experienced lately?
Speaker 2: I experienced it. Yeah, I mean into Mercy Goldman yesterday. I came here yesterday.
Speaker 3: Great and now it's flying off the shelves. Yeah, hey guys, it's the last year writer, influencer, model, and engineer.
Speaker 4: Oh this pride. I want to talk to you about something that's close to my heart.
Speaker 3: You know, when you're thirsty and hungry, what I like to do when the feeling strikes is he fruit. This fruit is what I'm eating every day.
Speaker 4: Can you imagine being a caveman and all you've ever eaten is meat and water?
Speaker 3: Coming across something that looks like completely inedible, almost as a rock. Cracking that open and realizing it's a mango, you would be the happiest person who.
Speaker 4: Has ever lived.
Speaker 5: You will probably die from the joy of the feeling. That's why this Pride, I'm encouraging you to go buy some fruit.
Speaker 3: When you go to the grocery store now and get fruit, you can also buy every other kind of food. Used promo code Caveman thirsty hungry at checkout for.
Speaker 2: It's such a good deal.
Speaker 4: It is amazing. It's free, and I cannot believe it exists. Check it out and follow.
Speaker 2: Wow, I mean that's amazing fun.
Speaker 1: Every podcast you get free therapy for line.
Speaker 2: Okay, wow, you know. Let me just say this. Yeah, I started this episode not being in the mood for pride. I've never felt more pride.
Speaker 1: Oh my god. I was so ready to go out there and be proudly out George.
Speaker 2: To go to parties.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna be so gringer beans. I'm going to be mixed Gringer beans this Pride, of.
Speaker 4: Course, and oh my god, we mixed. How are they doing?
Speaker 1: I actually think that's a great question because mixed Emma, when we invented them, they were a college student.
Speaker 4: Yes, and that was four years ago.
Speaker 1: This is what I mean, like literally like out and about adults. They're an adult, they are you know, probably working out a company of some sort.
Speaker 2: It's an ethical company.
Speaker 1: I mean, this is what I've been. That's why I'm delaying. What I'm about to say is I don't.
Speaker 3: I'm like, is it Well, I think it's the job that they got and maybe that's not exactly what they would like to be doing, but.
Speaker 4: That's okay for me right now.
Speaker 2: And do you think they like.
Speaker 1: I feel like there was still by Emma. Huh oh do they still go by Emma?
Speaker 4: Not sure?
Speaker 3: Wow?
Speaker 2: Wow? What do you think?
Speaker 4: I think they probably go by chair.
Speaker 2: Now chair wow?
Speaker 4: But but they it's not like a dead name, but they prefer chair.
Speaker 3: Oh so it's not it's like like like yeah, yeah, like that's what their friends call it, and like they're still cool with like m m that kind of.
Speaker 4: Thing, but they do prefer chair.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, wow, But I just shout out to chair. And honestly, like I do think I would say I have faith that they will land on their feet, like yes, this is not an ideal drop for them, but like they's such a beautiful voice, beautiful voice. They're living with two great roommates.
Speaker 2: You know, they've gotten really good at cooking, really good at cooking.
Speaker 1: Yes, I mean they've cooked through because you know, when we first met them, they were cooking Alison Roman stew. But they moved through the rest of Alice in.
Speaker 4: Roman books and they're doing cold carry cake.
Speaker 1: You know what is happening now?
Speaker 2: Actually they are now vegan. They were good.
Speaker 3: Good for them, Yeah, and it's because of the they're they're an ethical disagreement having to do.
Speaker 4: With humans, not with animals exactly.
Speaker 1: They don't give a ship about animals.
Speaker 4: No, they heard about the kinds of diseases.
Speaker 1: They're a sort of a what's it called when you always think you're sick.
Speaker 4: They made them really upset, the hypochondria.
Speaker 1: Hypochondria which actually falls under the LGBTQ plus on brew. But they're on the very very edge, constantly getting poisoned by acid. Right.
Speaker 4: Oh, but they're good, they're good, and they're in love.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, that's right.
Speaker 2: It's cool with a photographer.
Speaker 4: With the photographer, are really good for a photographers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they just did have spread for paper magazine.
Speaker 4: Yes, of a Chamberlain.
Speaker 1: Yes, I'm Chamberlain and it.
Speaker 2: Was sort of caveman themed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and guess what Emma Chamberlain is. Then you mix Emma now that the old mixed Semma is Chair.
Speaker 4: That's what they related about.
Speaker 2: That's what they related about, because.
Speaker 3: Like mixed chair doesn't have shame about changing. So they were like, my name was actually for many years.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and Emma Chamberlain was like, oh my god, you're so crazy. Do you want to Sealfie?
Speaker 2: Oh well, what a beautiful note to end on. That was like catching up with the college friend.
Speaker 1: It was, by the way, straighted a lab deep lore and I think we're not going to exp if you haven't listened to literally episodes or.
Speaker 4: Something, if you know, you know, do you think you can't do that? I can need that.
Speaker 2: I didn't need it, I said, I.
Speaker 4: Just said it.
Speaker 2: Also, Happy pride.
Speaker 1: Happy pride to all, Happy pride to all the glamour girls out there, Happy pride to Chair, Happy pride to Emma Chamberlain, and happy mister mister Ringer Ringo Bean, sorry mister and missus Missus Trinkle Cross Drinker Tech Drink Trinkle Tech Shrink Trinkle Tech Trinkle I believe. Yeah, yeah, god, it is so like her to have people forget her name.
Speaker 4: Well, she could help.
Speaker 2: Us a bit. Yeah yeah, it's sort of not the victim blame, but she could live out loud a little more. I agree. Okay.
Speaker 1: I love you podcast and now want more. Subscribe to our Patreon for two extra episodes a month, discord access and more by heading to patreon dot com. Slash Radio Lab.
Speaker 2: And for all our visual learners create full length video episodes are available on our YouTube.
Speaker 1: Now get back to work