Speaker 1: Welcome into the Ravens Press Pass podcast. It is Monday, December eighteenth. The Ravens are coming off a twenty three the seventh victory over the Jacksonville Jaguars on Sunday to improve to eleven and three on the season and clinch a playoff spot. It is certainly a good day here in Baltimore.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: It doesn't get any easier for the Ravens as next up they're heading on the road for a Christmas night matchup against the San Francisco forty nine Ers. To recap the win over Jacksonville and also look ahead to the game coming up against the forty nine ers. We had a chance to talk with head coach John Harbaugh on Monday.
Speaker 2: Hey, everybody, good seeing you guys. Appreciate those of you guys who made it down there. It was good to see you last night late and you made it back today, So congratulations through the wind right. So we're very pleased with the victory. It was a big win. It was a big win and important, an important win and a real tough venue against a really good team, and our guys played the kind of football they need to play to win that game, you know, last night and I'm very proud of them for that. We all are as coaches and fans, I'm sure too, So we're excited about where we're at, and then now we're getting pointed towards the next one, which is going to be an even better team, you know, and probably a tougher, even tougher environment out there on Christmas night. So you talk about advent this is the season, you know, for sure, and proud of the guys in terms of how they've handled the December football part of it and how they've carried themselves, how focus they've been, how humble they've been, and you know, giving glory where it belongs. So we appreciate that, but we're focused on the task at hand. What questions you have, John in that second.
Speaker 3: We I think we talked a little bit last night about the running game and just really you were dominant.
Speaker 2: But I feel coming on, yeah, when watching the film, why why do you feel that you know that running game was was really so dominant in that second Coffer, Well, I mean it's kind of the nature of the running game, right, you know, you know you have a chance to you know, I guess you could say where a defense down, but it's harder to stop the run a lot of times. As a game goes on, you start to pick up first downs, you keep a defense on the field. That was a defense that was known for getting people off the field quickly. They were I think leading the league in three and outs as a defense coming into the game. So one of our goals was to to not have that happen, you know, to get to keep him on the field as much as we could. And I think when the time of possession started to add up, it made it more difficult to stop the running. I thought, our guys really just got better and better blocking the run and running the ball, and we popped some runs. Obviously, Keating had some big runs for us, and that's a that's obviously a very very heartbreaking loss for us, but he was a big part of that as well. John.
Speaker 4: When you were this off season where you were looking for a new offs the coordinated looking for a new offense, how important was it for you to still have the ability to remain an elite rushing that elite rushing attack.
Speaker 2: It was important. It was important in the sense also to have elements of the rushing attack that we built worked so hard on the last, you know, four years. We didn't want to run away from that run game, you know, because we had a lot of reps under our belt and a lot of institutional knowledge with that, and our players understood it. A lot of the players we've been running and they fit our guys really well. So that's one thing that was an important part of it.
Speaker 5: Coming back to the running game, I'm curious, you know, your players talk about it picking sense whether they're wearing guys down on the other side of the ball. Do you sense that all those coaches as well. Can you get a feel for that when you guys were able to throw the ball where you were sure?
Speaker 2: I mean, I think on the field, you know, you can't see everything on the field, but you can't you can't feel. You do feel that type of thing on the field. You really close to the game. You're right there and you can you can talk to the players, you know, but you have a sense of everybody's doing right there on the field in front of you.
Speaker 6: Just to follow.
Speaker 5: Obviously key tough, brutal injury and you're paying more information or specifics I guess, and what kings injury.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just a it's a long term knee h thing there was h there wasn't cartilage uh type damage and things like that. So that helps quite a bit and be a little cleaner, and uh, he'll go to work, you know. I'm sure he'll be here every single day, you know, with the team and and doing it hard to get back.
Speaker 4: I know.
Speaker 5: Then you you trust the guys who are gonna have to take on more carries with him with them gone them and you talked about it, but I.
Speaker 2: Mean, did he bring you guys a spark that's going to be not easy to relaze. I'm not in the judgment business about ranking, you know all that. That's that's what you guys can do.
Speaker 6: John, I know Ronn would be a value ad breaking cushions. And there's Morgan. It was much more of a slip with him and Polly. Where was did Morgan through get through the game okay? Or just kind of what went into that after last week it was a little bit of a lighter.
Speaker 3: Rotation for him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's always gonna be those things right now, you know. I mean this is December, you know, and there's uh, there's guys like that who are fighting through things. And you got he played really well and I thought Morgan played well. I thought Ronnie played well. We're going against two really good. I mean, obviously those are some power rushers. Those guys are probably the best in the league at power rushing off the edge really good. And I thought they had their moments, you know, But but our tackles had their moments too, you know, And and Lamar had his moments too. But Daniel played well, you know, that was the thing. Daniel really took it to another level, I thought. And since he was doing well, uh, you know, he got more reps and it was good for us. John After the.
Speaker 3: Game, Marlin talked about as far as laur and he said, you know, after Lamar signed his deal, he thought Moore really kind of raised his game as far as the leader and talking about being more vocal doing the.
Speaker 2: Have you seen that at all with them? Yeah. It's kind of a comparison question that you've been asking over the years that I've never been answering, you know, just because when you answer that question that way, it basically says it wasn't up to snuff or the or the other person isn't isn't is less than the person you're comparing to the same same question you just asked me, And that's why I stay away from mess the fall time, because in the case of Lamar, it wouldn't be fair to answer that question, you know, just and I appreciate you know, you're shaking your head and saying you understand, but Lamar's Mar has been a great leader in his own way all the way through. And I think we all, you know, we grow, we evolved with circumstances change, we find ourselves in a different place. And I've always admired Lamar for every part of what he's doing. And I also understand like all of us, we're all we're all dealing and we're going through things were and we're doing our best. And he's always been that way. He's always done his best, and he's doing his best right now. And I would say this right and he's an A plus leader right now and he is doing you know, I think he's I think he's taken the team in that sense. You know, he's kind of he's just been. He's been. He's been he's been glue, you know, he's been glue for the guys, and it's it's been great to see.
Speaker 7: Speaking of Lamar, do you think Monday, not only with the football game itself between two of the top teams, but also Lamar and Party.
Speaker 8: There's you know, the m v P talk has been done. Could be a referendum on everything is day, not only with your team, but with.
Speaker 2: Him and Party. Yeah. I haven't thought about that at all. I've given that one moment's thought.
Speaker 7: John, as you give Charlie Kohler the opportunity on the on the sneak of the players on your roster, and there's a lot of talk about just the play in general of the quarterback sneaks and like the Toush push.
Speaker 2: Just what is kind of your analysis on.
Speaker 7: Is that some pitch band or or any what are your opinions.
Speaker 2: I don't really have an opinion on tush push right now. That's a that's a conversation for the off season. But I was really happy with the way we executed it. I thought we did a great job. Charlie was awesome, been practicing it for a few weeks now, and just the execution of the snap, you know, and he's a big dude, you know, he's an athlete. We had some big dudes pushing him in there, which was nice to see. In our our table, our center and guards are really good. So we've kind of got the tools to run that, you know. And uh, it's the first time we did it in the game, you know. So that's why you're asking, right, And it was really it was great to see because that was a big conversion for us.
Speaker 3: It was Mark.
Speaker 2: You did with Mark a few times as well. We did Yep, yep, that's right, that's right, John.
Speaker 5: Going back to Keaty for one second, there are a couple of reports that it's a cl chair. He just confirm that that's what it is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean yeah, I mean say, there's there's like ament Teriant, I don't I don't want to get I don't really feel the need to get into all that. You know. If he wants to share that with you, he can, you know, and maybe he will. Going back to.
Speaker 8: Lamar, do you feel it's legitimate he should be a part of the MVP conversation.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Going back to my other answer, Jerry, it's like I don't really care, you know what I mean, I could care less about any of that, you know, And and the beautiful thing is Lamark and that's either you know. What we care about is the game. On Sunday. That's one thing is for sure. We're gonna be We're we're work. We're trying to try to be one to oh this week, I mean, this is the most important week of the season, uh to us and uh just like all these last weeks have been when they've come up, you know, and that's really our it's a singular focus that our guys have that I love, and you know that's the way it's supposed to be. You mentioned to leave last night that Melvin Gorton was likely to join the fifty three and play some Keaton Mitchell, I know you he was a couple of games during the year.
Speaker 4: At this point in career, What does he bring to your team?
Speaker 2: Where does where does he fit? Do you think? Well, I mean, you know a great question. I mean, Melvin Gordon is a I'm a high pedigree football player in this league. I mean, it's it's almost kind of shocking that that we're gonna have the opportunity to, you know, put him into the mix right now. And he's been wanting to be into the mix. But you know, and like you said, he was up for three games and he's been practicing so hard and working so hard. Uh, you know when it and like we'd say, hey, when the opportunity comes, I'll be ready. I mean he had smile and say that to me, you know, once a week and uh, and you can know its true because because he practiced that way yet I'm sure he was chomping at the bit, you know, and wanting to get out there and contribute. So his opportunity comes and he's been there before. He's he's he's a high pedigree, great player, talented. You can't you can't hide talent, you know. I say that to the guys a lot of times when I'm you know, we're shooting playing horse out there, when I'm shooting too, you know, you can't hide talent. You know. It's just and with it's a week comparison. You're right, I apologize, John.
Speaker 8: You guys can move to Colleenston all around the field this year and overs uh the Stucias and Sea Baltimore. He's done all very well. Is it always? Uh challenge real and exciting for you and the staff to just find new ways to use guys that they don't really mean a lot of you.
Speaker 2: Know, yes, yes, that is really something that is really kind of what it's all about you know, it's a big part of it. When we're players centric, you know, we we build schemes for players, you know. We we think we should be good enough to understand all the options out there schematically and how to coach all that, and then we try to make our choices accordingly based on the players. So when you find another thing for a player to do that he can do well, man, that's like goal, that's a gold nugget, and we try to do that for all our guys.
Speaker 4: John, you always say the next game is the most important one. That you got the knives this week stick record wise?
Speaker 5: Is that the two best records in the NFL right now?
Speaker 4: How do you view this matchup and just what are you looking to see out of your team.
Speaker 6: Against the NS.
Speaker 2: Well? I view it as a really tough game, you know, against a really good team that plays a really a really good brand ball. You know, they do it all on both sides of the ball. They're tough, they're physical, they're disciplined, they play hard, they play winning football, you know, and got a lot of respect for him, got a lot of respect for the coaches and the players. There's just nothing about how they how they're built that you just you couldn't respect. So we understand that. What I'm looking to see is how we respond to that challenge because we're going to go in there big underdogs, you know, and traveling all the way across the country, you know, on Christmas Day advent, So we'll be looking forward to it. There'll be a big challenge for us on your offense has been top ten and converting on third downs the season.
Speaker 7: The last three games have been just tougher sledding. Is that something that you've noticed on film? What might be something that causes us to trying to get conversions something and as successful as a late.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, it's a it's a big deal, you know. I mean, third down is important and we've we talk about it every week, and we've been talking about a lot the last couple of weeks. Like you're saying, it hasn't been quite as good. It's one of those areas that we, uh, we we want to do a lot better at, you know. And uh, it's been tough for some of the defense that we've been playing have been top third down defenses in the league last couple of weeks, and uh, and that's That's that's part of it too. You know, you got to hand it to the people you're going to get. Sometimes they make plays, but we for us, you know, that's something that really is really important to us and we need to improve in that area.
Speaker 5: Before we've talked to when he mentioned Isaiah likely a while back, you said you can kind of read his body language a little bit unhappy.
Speaker 3: Since you know, Mark went down, he has been very productiveve.
Speaker 2: Have you since by just like noticing him.
Speaker 6: Has has you know, with the challenge has to his bodiln Can you see how he's been responding.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think his body language has been a little bit better, you know a little more. He's he's a great guy. I mean, he always just wants to do well. Nobody's more coachable. He always when you when you when you have something for him, he responds, you know, in a positive way, tries to do it right. I think sometimes young guys they feel the weight of establish thinks themselves, improving themselves in this league. You know, you know, you just they really are anxious because they want to show what they can do so so much and as coaches, you know you better want to give them the opportunity to show what they can do. I mean, they're your players, are on your team, and they wanted they want a chance, you know, and you don't always have a chance sometimes for it to happen, or you want to give them a chance, it just doesn't happen in the game. The ball doesn't go their way maybe sometimes, but uh that yeah, that's uh. I think he has responded like anybody would because he's gotten some chances and he's done well, you know, and that's what you want to see for your guys. I don't know how much time you.
Speaker 5: Got a chance that to look at.
Speaker 8: We're not your film, but from from whether you have seen how much stress do they put on linebackers, those second level offenders with everything that they do with you knows, how excite are you see to see ropon you know, pH Kyle Be's that you know, and thought there be able to kind of match with everything that they do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's gonna be. It's gonna be very interesting. Me think for football fans, you know, real, real, real football fans are gonna look at this one and really be intrigued by all that. It's a great point. They do so many good things it's it's a system I think that that Kyle has you know, built forth you know, through the the tradition. You know, it's his dad and and uh he goes with coach Kubiak too, and and he's taken it to another even place. You know, he really has expanded it and and evolved it in a great way. And he does it round his players too, So it's that part of it. But it's built around the players. I mean, he got five probably all Pro skill guys on that offense, and not to mention a really good offensive line and and and a Hall of Fame tackle. So you know, he builds it around those guys, and that's what makes it tough.
Speaker 4: It was more complete several passes on those Gramble situations yesterday, And how important.
Speaker 6: Fills it for receivers to sort of the only play an extent.
Speaker 2: Like that baseball that's really important. I mean, that's that's kind of that's that's a really that's an X factor, you know, And when you're on defense, it's a problem. You know, it's it's uh, you know, we we we faced the challenge with with quarterbacks getting out and running this year too, as we saw in this last game too. It's something that we're working on trying to corral. A lot of the run yards that we've given up have been that this year. So La mars is probably he's the best in the business at it in my opinion, and uh yeah, that's a big part of who we are. Extended plays, what did you see I guess like the instructure dropped back wise that ingle Mark said last night that sometimes their pass us could kind of get in this passing land and may disrupt the picture a little bit.
Speaker 8: But it seemed like most of the gamers that he did was in, you know, trying to make stuff happen after that.
Speaker 2: Perchere setting, wasn't there. Yeah, well, I mean you like for everything to be you know, just how you draw it up, for sure, but defenses really don't cooperate all the time with you on that, you know, and especially good defenses. But there were plenty of plays that were on time in rhythm that we're great. There were times when he was getting pushed in the pocket. Maybe I remember the one back and backing up and hit a dell over the middle. You know, that was that was really that was extended, but it was you know, it was drawn out a little bit, and that was a great play by both those guys. Other times he just he just got away, you know, and and and frustrated the defense, you know, And that's that's good too. You know. I don't think you need to be a purist all the time. You know, you need to recognize there's a lot of ways to move the ball and make plays in which we try to do. But but you know, we've been we've been We've been really good at the times, many times with with that part of the passing game, and other times it's extended things like that. So it's all part of it.
Speaker 6: We started up by saying we played the kind of football we needed to play to win that game. Do you feel like this team has been particularly good at that sort of adjusting to what's needed.
Speaker 5: In a given week.
Speaker 2: I do, Yes, That's that's right. That's the thing about this team. It's a very mature team, you know, And I think they understand the challenge in front of them, and they understand their opponent, and they understand themselves, you know, and so you get into the game, and they also understand such situations game situations really well. So all those things probably have led to that you know, and that's what you have to do this time of year for sure, and I really hope that you know that expresses itself, you know, over the next few weeks and the multiple weeks.
Speaker 1: That was head coach John Harball who discussed where the team sits at this point of the season and he knows that the road ahead with the forty nine Ers and then the Dolphins and then the Steelers to close out the regular season. It's not going to be easy, but the Ravens are focused on taking a one game at a time mentality the rest of the way. Now, that's it for us here today, but stay tuned. We'll be back with you coming up later this week as the Ravens get ready for a matchup against the forty nine Ers on Christmas Night. Thanks for listening to the Ravens Press Pass podcast. Also head over to the Lounge podcast feed for a full breakdown of that win over Jacksonville. Hit that rating and review button and subscribe to the podcast as well. Thanks sitting talk with you again soon.