Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: Made it to a Friday, Dan and the Dan and Stan Patrick Show. I'm not in the main man Cave. I'm in the main man Cave, but not in the main without the e man Cave and the recipe. The menu today certainly bears that out. Fritzy probably not going to be happy with all of this burger and waffle fries. That's it. As Tyler said, he didn't want to waste a good meat Friday on just the Dan Etts if I wasn't going to be in studio. So that's who has it better than we do. No money, buddy, this is fun.
Speaker 3: We're calling it the Winter Burger Festival. Burgers and beers outside in the cold.
Speaker 2: Burgers and waffle fries on the menu. Here for a meat Friday, all right, Come on in, stay a while. We'll talk to Jason Garrett, former Cowboys head coach David Carr, NFL network analyst Mike Florio. We'll stop by as well. Operator Tyler sitting by. He'll take your phone calls throughout the morning. Eight seven to seven, three DP show Three Days of Football Straight Ahead, starting with Saturday games Sunday, games Monday, Monday night National Title game. So we'll try to dissect all of these over the next three hours. Most cars on the road could use a little TLC and at MAKO they're trying to bring your car back to life with affordable paint jobs and light collision repairs. Get a free estimate today, Oh better get make up play the day, poll question stat of the Day, all of that forthcoming. The point spreads as of this morning according to DraftKings, I've got the Texans getting eight and a half, the Commanders getting eight and a half, the Rams are getting six, and the Bills at home are getting one and a half. Fritzi, It's Friday, Fritzi. He's got a few pole question suggestions seat and will also fill in some of the gray area there with some of his own. Well, recap the big basketball game last night. You probably didn't watch it, but the Oklahoma City Thunder now thirty four and six. They rough up the Cavaliers as they win by twenty and trying to make somebody a star in a city that doesn't make stars or a game that probably doesn't bear itself out and highlights on the mothership. That's Shay gilgis Alexander. You'd have to work on the name, the game and the fact that he's in Oklahoma City. But I think all signs are leading to him being the MVP this year. Might be a little MVP voter fatigue with the Joker, but Shay Gilgiss is averaging over thirty a game. He had over forty last night against the Cavaliers. We'll talk about that coming up. And he was second. He finished runner up to Joker last year, so it's not going to be a big surprise, but we'll talk about that. You're trying or it feels like there's analysts trying to let you know, watch him play. It's just he's not a highlight machine. He's just extremely economically great. It just he goes out there and he'll give you forty points. I think he's done that six times so far this season. Alrighty Todd, I'm gonna start with you. You have a few Friday Fritzy Poll.
Speaker 4: Questions Texans aside, if the Lions reached the Super Bowl, who should they want to play? That would be the Bills, Chiefs or Ravens. Who should the Lions want to play? If they're fortunate enough to reach the Super Bowl.
Speaker 2: I think it's weird to say the obvious answer would be the Kansas City Chiefs because they feel vulnerable at fifteen and two. I want no part of Patrick Mahomes in a big game. I don't I don't been down that road too many times. No, not gonna do it. You can give me Lamar Jackson maybe one of the greatest seasons ever by a quarterback, and Josh Allen is probably going to be the runner up to him for MVP. I'll take my chances because those guys haven't been in this situation before. It's the same thing with Tom Brady. I don't know how many years he wasn't the best quarterback in the league. But if you said you got to win one game, or you had a game winning drive and you gave him the football or anybody else, you said, I'll take him. And that's what Mahomes is. Mahomes is not a stat machine. He hasn't been. They've changed the whole complexion of this team. It's a defensive team. They do run the football. Travis Kelcey has regressed a little bit the last couple of years. During the regular season. He's another guy where you go, man, I don't know. It seems to be slowing down a little bit, and it'll be like seven catches for ninety yards and with Mahomes, somehow, some way, you can't game plan for third and fifteen and he gets out of the pocket dances down the sidelines for sixteen. So I would say, I'll take my chances with Buffalo or the Texans or the Baltimore Ravens, anybody taking Kansas City that the Lions would want to face Old Hud.
Speaker 4: Okay, it'll be extra special to keep them from the three peats. I think. The Chiefs, to me, I understand your point, which are all valid, are a little less scary than Lamar and Josh and those two teams.
Speaker 2: Okay, But if I said the Broncos were in the AFC title, gay and you could face the Ravens, Bills are Chiefs? Who were you taking?
Speaker 4: Based on what happened in the regular season, they got destroyed forty one to ten against the Ravens. The Bills just destroyed the Broncos. Denver almost beat the Chiefs in Kansas City on a block field goal, and then they let them beat them thirty eight to nothing. I'm gonna say I would take the Chiefs.
Speaker 5: They know us, but we know them.
Speaker 4: We played them twice a year, and I just think the Chiefs are ripe for the taking as a Bills and Ravens scamming more than the Chiefs, even with all the experience in my home seat.
Speaker 2: What about you? Yeah, we us let's go. Yeah Yeah.
Speaker 6: I feel like the Chiefs are actually the last team that I want I would want to face, and probably for all of the reasons you just mentioned, actually owing for the three p they're completely unpredictable. I feel like you can game plan for a lot of different things, but you really can't game plan for that. You know, fourth and seventeen, you've got Patrick Mahomes exactly where you want to be scrambling, he jumps out of bounds and somehow throws a thirty seven yard dart to a wide open Kelsey, and this year, like, what the hell, we just had him sacked, We just had them on fourth down. You know, you can't really game plan for that.
Speaker 2: But you would also look at that game planning that Josh Allen is capable of those crazy plays and Lamar Jackson capable of those plays. I've just seen it. When the game is on the line and it's time to pucker, and Mahomes is awesome.
Speaker 6: Yes, right, those guys are all capable of those things, but Patrick Mahomes does them regularly and right those other two quarterbacks they have more of a history of.
Speaker 2: Puckering.
Speaker 6: As you'd say that, they just makes them less scary.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Paulie, I'm with you. I want no part of the Chiefs. The Chiefs have been right for the taking for straight years. It seems like every week they're down, every game they're down. How many playoff games have they been down? If I were a Lions fan going into the fourth quart of the Super Bowl up two touchdowns on the Chiefs, I'd be like, oh no, oh my.
Speaker 2: It would never be caught it. He's got us just where he wants to, right, you know, never comfortable. Dang it, dang it. We're only up two touchdowns going into the fourth quarter. But the Ravens in Buffalo, and the Ravens favored on the road by one and a half. You know, you start to look at these and I always go, what's Vegas want me to do? Is Vegas saying, you know what you got to take the bills they're getting one and a half at home. That's what they're saying to you. And then you look at these numbers with the Commanders and the Lions eight and a half, Texans Chiefs eight and a half. It feels and this isn't fair to the Texans. I'll say that up front, like the Commanders are capable, might be more capable of beating the Lions in Detroit than the Texans beating the Chiefs in Kansas City. And maybe that's, you know, just the perception of or the lack of respect. The Texans get but eight and a half for both of these teams on the road. And then the Rams and the Eagles six point game. And I started to look at some of the prop bets. Here if I said over under rushing yards Saquon Barkley against the Rams, Marvin, you got a guess here, seventy five and a half, all right, Seaton eighty two, Paul eighty nine and a half.
Speaker 4: Todd, I'm going to say ninety four and a half.
Speaker 2: One twelve and a half. That's aggressive, no respect. That surprised me a little bit there, Yeah, yeah, uh. They expect Josh Allen to have more passing yards than Lamar Jackson. How about Derrick Henry over under rushing yards Ravens Bills, Paul ninety six and a half, Marvin.
Speaker 6: Eighty eight, Todd ninety and a half, Seaton two hundred and twenty seven and one half.
Speaker 2: Ninety seven and a half. PAULI had ninety six and a half. Yes, Patrick Mahomes passing yards against the Texans, Paul kind of low.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna go to twenty nine.
Speaker 2: And a half, alright, Marvin two forty eight and a half.
Speaker 4: Todd, We're kind of split the difference there to thirty seven and a half between those two guns.
Speaker 2: All right, Seaton, no connor, I'm gonna this is a bad guess.
Speaker 6: But to twenty seven and a half.
Speaker 2: Two twenty seven and a half is c. J. Stroud's over.
Speaker 7: Gotta give him a love for that.
Speaker 2: Patrick Mahomes is two fifty and half. Just some of the random things here. Yeah, they got Josh Allen two forty eight and a half, Lamar Jackson to twenty four and a half. But and Poukinakua they expect him to have a really good game over under his eighty eight and a half yards in that matchup. All right, eight seven seven three DP Show email address Dpatdanpatrick dot com, Twitter handle at DP show once again David Carr from NFL Network. A little later on, we'll have the most must win game of the weekend. Got her play of the day coming up. Kind of a quiet last couple of days with the coaching moves. Aaron Rodgers talks about talking to the Jets, but Vegas has a new team, a new place that Aaron Rodgers, if he decides to play next year, that that would be the place that he would be going to. Paulie, I'll start with you. Vegas thinks that if Aaron Rodgers plays again, you know what, let me play. Aaron Rodgers on McAfee's show talking with the Jets, I.
Speaker 8: Gave some constructive things. Uh, It's there's so much that goes into the whole thing. There's there's the food, pa, there's the locker room, there's travel, there's hotel stuff, there's different you know, you're just giving a little constructive things here and there that maybe they take the heart, maybe they don't. I think everybody understands that it's going to come down to a GM and a coach and myself. Uh, and whether we all want to do.
Speaker 9: Do a dance together?
Speaker 8: Or if it's it's not in the cards, Okay.
Speaker 2: Do a little dance, make a little love, get down tonight, do down tonight. Figured that'd be right.
Speaker 4: Set me up still lovely even though you didn't mean to.
Speaker 2: Do you know who saying sings that? Not?
Speaker 4: Sure?
Speaker 2: Casey? Okay?
Speaker 10: Do you do you want?
Speaker 5: That's not them?
Speaker 2: It's not them, that's the Bay City Saturday. Wow. Come on, let's go.
Speaker 5: Come on, come on, how can I fail that.
Speaker 2: The money ask questions? Don't mail it in just because it's Friday. Let's go. I got to pick it up every day. Is the Super Bowl all right?
Speaker 11: Here?
Speaker 2: It is Vegas. Is the place that Vegas thinks that Aaron Rodgers is going to go. Yeah, the Raiders are the favorites for Aaron Rodgers. And uh, I was a little bit surprised that, well we brought this up here. Can you get him to come in as your bridge quarterback? Would Tom Brady entertain that as the new owner of the Raiders? Man, unless I thought my team could be good and and and compete, you know, I mean, you're in a division where the Broncos, Chargers and Chiefs all made the playoffs. So is Aaron Rodgers going to help help me with anything other than attendance? And you're already a tourist attraction. Now you don't have a home field advantage. But do I want Aaron Rodgers or do I bring in somebody else and go, Can I get through this next season and then maybe we start to build this into a champion again? Yes, Paul.
Speaker 3: Lifestyle wise, it makes a ton of sense for Aaron Rodgers. He could live out by pow Rump or Area fifty one or what do they get a double white out there? Would a satellite dish. He'd be perfect lifestyle wise.
Speaker 2: Okay, anybody else have thought?
Speaker 12: Now?
Speaker 2: I thought maybe Pittsburgh, but he just doesn't fit in with what Pittsburgh's whole philosophy is. I can't see that happening. I mean, Russ didn't really fit in. I mean he tried, but I just can't imagine Aaron being on McAfee talking about whatever he's talking about and then all of a sudden, Mike Tomlin's got to go to the press conference, say hey said the following on Pat McAfee. That feels like that would get really old, really quick for Tomlin. Yes, I think it's got to be someplace that we don't expect. They were like, hey, that makes a lot of sense.
Speaker 6: I don't think it's gonna be one of those wow, that makes a lot of sense places at all. Like it it's gonna be like New Orleans or something where you're.
Speaker 2: Like, okay, yeah, I could. It's out of nowhere.
Speaker 6: Him and DeVante Adams and two more of his buddies are going to be like, why don't we just go all land at the Saints?
Speaker 2: Right now feels like it'll be Tennessee or the Raiders if I was guessing. I have no information on that other than just what I could see. Maybe one year with the Raiders, but they're just not ready to win. So why do I want to do that? Why do I want to spend that money? It almost feels like you take a step back before you take two steps forward. And it doesn't mean he can't play a high I mean his numbers were really good with the Jets, where that's where stats are deceiving, where you go, man, all right, not bad. The thing that I would want to look at is his fourth quarter numbers, because that's the quarterback I want. That's what I need. These games are all decided by seven points or less. What did your quarterback do when the game was on the line, Yes, Todd.
Speaker 4: Along with your thoughts on the Titans in a winnable AFC South, Would the Colts take a shot with him for a year they were in the playoff picture up until towards the very end there Week sixteen, Week seventeen.
Speaker 2: Absolutely absolutely. I mean they do have talent there and probably had enough talent to win that division. They just didn't get consistent quarterback play. And Anthony Richardson's not ready, not ready yet, Yes, Marvin.
Speaker 5: And for the Colts, that's on brand for them. They brought in what Philip Rivers and Matt Ryan. They'll try their hand that another veteran quarterback.
Speaker 13: Why not?
Speaker 2: Blue? Bloop bloop blue. We'll take a break when we come back. Yes, Joe Flacco coming back again?
Speaker 4: Checking?
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, so he might be coming back? Who knows? Sure? Why not? Yes? Mark?
Speaker 5: Can he win a comeback Player of the Year twice?
Speaker 2: Not back to back?
Speaker 3: I think Chad Pennington is a two time comeback Player of the Year winner. But you can't come back twice because if you came back, you have to revert back to badness.
Speaker 2: I think, but could something bad happen during that next season that you came back from and then you won come back player, come back, back, back back actually yeah, Player of the Year. Yeah, Steve Stricker, I think won Comeback Player of the Year twice on the PGA Tour. I think when we come back a little bit later on this first hour, we'll bring back a portion of the interview I did with Bob Yuker. That was the last time that we had him on the show, passing away at the age of ninety. We'll take a break just getting started. Phone calls, we'll get to those as well. Settle on our poll question. We're back after this.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Fox Sports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 10: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together we're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio. You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app. Why should you listen to Covino and Rich? We talk about everything, life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world. We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well, other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss. And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together, I mean that says something.
Speaker 7: Right, So check us out.
Speaker 10: We like to get you involved too, take your phone calls, chop it up. As they say, I'd say the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the most interactive show on planetar. Be sure to check out Covino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific, And if you miss any of the live show, just search Covino and Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media that's Cavino and Rich.
Speaker 2: Oh we made it to a Friday. It's hour two on the program. Come on in stay a while. The Gangzell Here Friday, Fritzie and rare Form is always it is a meat Friday. And it feels like Tyler mailed it in a little bit here at least according to Todd burgers and waffle fries. Who has it better than we do? Nobody? Okay, it sounds a little better, yes, Paulie.
Speaker 3: I gotta tell you, though, I don't sleep on a great cheeseburger and fries, especially like if you did that meal for when you're on death row, people will go lobster and all that stuff.
Speaker 2: I might go.
Speaker 3: Half pound cheeseburger, fries and a doctor pepper is my jailhouse meal. I'm telling you, I thought, oh yeah.
Speaker 2: A cheeseburger, doctor pepper and fries.
Speaker 3: Hey, I don't have to worry about my health going forward for you know, a block an hour. That might be my jailhouse meal. Dang, what about Utah jail house meal?
Speaker 2: Two well done.
Speaker 4: Burgers, two hot dogs, French fries, and either a mountain dew or a doctor Brown's black cherry.
Speaker 3: You're gonna die of something else before the electric chair.
Speaker 4: Exact burgers, hot dogs, fries and black cherry or mountain dew?
Speaker 2: Uh seating? What about you death row meal?
Speaker 13: Mm?
Speaker 6: Probably a rabbi baked potato. I really like broccoli, so why not, and some mint chocolate chip ice cream.
Speaker 2: I'm not really worried about the healthy.
Speaker 6: I just actually like broccoli. I think it's really good, so probably do that, but definitely some mint chocolate chip ice cream.
Speaker 2: Marvin, how about.
Speaker 5: You lasagna and garlic bread, would a lemonade, no ice and then to finish that off a Swiss cake roll from Little Debbie.
Speaker 2: That's pretty specific. Have you thought about this apparently?
Speaker 5: Maybe once?
Speaker 2: Okay, I'd probably go some pesto, nice wedge salad.
Speaker 6: The goat wedge salad is the best of all salads.
Speaker 2: If you get a great wedge salad. I mean, it's just one of those where you go, go, it's the best.
Speaker 12: Uh.
Speaker 2: And then I probably wash it down with a nice bottle of wine. It's funny.
Speaker 6: I've had your death Row meal with you easily one hundred and fifty times.
Speaker 2: And it's pretty good. That's like anytime.
Speaker 6: How many times in New Orleans when we're there for the Super Bowl? Will you have that exact same meal? Many times?
Speaker 7: If?
Speaker 2: If if I can, But pesto, pesto is just that's that's just different. If I can, if I can get it, if they can make it. I went to Augusta when I played Augusta, and you you can get whatever's on the menu. But they have a chef, he'll come out and you know, if you say, hey, i'd like to have And so he said, is there anything that's not on the menu that you might want? And I said, you know what, I won't be back at Augusta playing, you know, this golf course, so sure i'd like some pesto. And he looked at me like awesome, Like somebody is ordering something that you know I'd like to make. So steak pesto and eighteen holes at Augusta. That's not a bad way to go if they let you do something with your meal on death row, like you could do something. Hey, you're gonna get this great meal. What else do you want to do that day? That might not be a bad way to go out play an eighteen at Augusta eight seven seven three DP show email address DP at Danpatrick dot com, Twitter handle at DP show Yes, Paul, that was very random. I was thinking about Marvin's dish.
Speaker 3: He would get lasagna, which is great for leftovers, but not necessarily in this case.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, you don't know if somebody's going around going any did he leave anything? Hey, I can't eat all of this. You guys want to freeze this put it an refrigerator. Yeah, be good, all right. Poll question Seaton for hour two is going to be what well, our one are extremely specific. Poll question was Texans aside, if the Lions reached the Super Bowl, who should.
Speaker 6: They want to face?
Speaker 2: Right now?
Speaker 6: The Buffalo Bills have forty three percent of that vote, the Kansas City Chiefs at forty one, just sixteen percent of the Ravens.
Speaker 2: We'll talk to David Carr of NFL Network. We'll do the must win game of the weekend, Mike Florio, Jason Garrett, we'll join us a little bit later on as well. The updated odds for this weekend. You have Saturday Texans Chiefs. The Chiefs are favored by eight and a half, Commander's Lions lines favored by eight and a half. Then on Sunday it's the Eagles six point favorites and the Ravens and the Bills. The Ravens favored by one and a half. All right, we'll get phone calls coming up. We have a poll question, Paulie, would you run through now? Let me see how many games are outside? So we have the Chiefs game outside, the Bills game outside the Eagles game. So you have the Lions game. We don't have to worry about the weather right any other game where weather could be an issue.
Speaker 3: I did check though the Lions it will be seventy two and no wins. Inside it will be okay, there's actual temperature. The Kansas City game, it should be twenty three degrees a kickoff and pretty breezy.
Speaker 2: No snow expected.
Speaker 3: The Eagles game. They're expecting three to five inches of snow during the day and dropping temperatures around game time. It could be the lowest twenty degrees with snow for the Eagles game. And then the Buffalo game. They're expecting twelve degrees a kickoff and a forty percent chance of snow.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, I like that. This will be the coldest game I believe Lamar Jackson has played in in his career. I don't know what that means. Does that mean there's more running by both of these teams. It feels like these teams are running teams, even though Lamart put up incredible passing numbers. But it feels like Buffalo is a running team and they're probably going to need to be a running team. I don't think you can match Boltimore's running, but that's where Josh Allen comes in and he'll be running and passing as well. I want to see Lamar Jackson play great if they lose, okay, but I want to see him play great. Same with Josh Allen play great. And then you know somebody else is going to decide that, or I hope somebody else does. Is it the defense? Is it a running back, is it a wide receiver, is it a defensive back? Just something like that, because you get to this point and Dan Orlovsky has been on this topic here for the last couple of weeks, where we put so much emphasis on a quarterback that when they, you know, team wins, they win. When the team loses, it's the quarterback who loses. But I would remind Dan that when quarterbacks win super Bowls their team. We talk about the quarterback winning the Super Bowl. We don't talk about you know, o ce Yumanora with the Giants winning super Bowls, right, nobody says that maybe a running back a little bit. Terrell Davis, you know that that was his super Bowl, but we gave it to John it was John Elways won a couple of super Bowls. So yes, there is a lot of attention a lot of pressure, a lot of criticism, a lot of compliments. That's the position. There's no other position like it in sports. We do that with pitchers when we get to the playoffs. You know that they but they have the ball in their hands, just like a quarterback does. They still need a team around them. Score some runs, play some defense, all of those things. But we give credit to these quarterbacks because the quarterbacks are the Sean O'Hara offensive lineman for the Giants, he got two super Bowls. I believe he's not going into the Hall of Fame. Nobody says, hey, Sean O'Hara, he won two super Bowls. I mean Eli won two Super bowl Eli's going into the Hall of Fame because he won two Super Bowls. These guys are making fifty sixty million dollars a year and with that comes all the attention. Whatever that is justin Herbert. We may not he may not like it, or people may not like it or feel like we're piling on. He played poorly. He played poor in two playoff games, and you have to single you have to, you know, be critical of that. You know, I think it's sometimes it's too easy to go, oh, well, the defense let him down, or his wide receivers let Yes, but it still comes back to the quarterback. These wins and losses are on a quarterback. You know, I go back to when the Falcons lost to the Patriots. We don't mention dan Quinn was the head coach, that was Kyle Shanahan, and that was Matt Ryan. They lost. Dan Quinn didn't lose the Super Bowl, but he did. He was the head coach, But it was on Kyle Shanahan. Oh, offensive genius, trying to pass, Why don't you just kick a field goal? Matt Ryan was MVP. It was on Matt Ryan. So yes, do we give him too much credit? Yes? Do we give him too much blame? Absolutely? Yes, Marvin. Yeah.
Speaker 5: And if Matt Ryan wins that Super Bowl, he's probably in the Hall. But now it's going to be it eh, because that twenty eight three is going to be hanging over his head like a sore thumb.
Speaker 2: Yes, it might keep him out, a win would put him in. So that's that's one player who truly benefits from that. And sometimes you know with coaches, where you go, oh, he won a couple of Super Bowls and that can be enough to get into a Hall of Fame, Like if Sean Payton would win another one, or Mike McCarthy won another one, then no doubt Mike Tomlin is probably going into the Hall of Fame. It feels like his resume matches. Bill Cowers. Yes, Mark, and.
Speaker 5: I think also it depends on where you win. I think Sean Payton's already in because he won with the Saints. And when I was a kid, they were the Aints. Put a paper bag over your head in the super Dome. So I think it's where you win that helps also big time, Like if Jared Golf wins the Super Bowl for the Lions, that's going to help his Super Bowl cause unbelievably greatly, his Hall of Fame, his Hall of Fame case. Yes, yeah, absolutely, yeah, I agree, yeah.
Speaker 2: Paul, Yeah.
Speaker 3: If you look at Eli Manning's career, he threw for fifty seven thousand yards and three hundred and sixty six touchdowns. Matt Ryan threw for sixty five thousand yards and three hundred and eighty one touchdowns. He was one twenty four and one oh nine as a starter. Eli was a five hundred starter. If you compare him just that, Matt Ryan had a distinctly better career regular season and you know super Bowls, that's over.
Speaker 8: Johnny.
Speaker 2: If Eli is one in one in the super Bowl like Russell Wilson, I don't think he's a Hall of famer. I mean the fact that without David Tyree that catch and then Plexico Burris, he's not a Hall of Famer. I don't think even doing it in New York with that last name Griffin and Cincinnati, Hi Griff, good morning. What's on your mind?
Speaker 9: Morning, Dan?
Speaker 13: And the dan etes Dan, I just wanted to get your thoughts on Don Yee saying that Tom Brady plans to finish out his contract with Fox, even though there's been a lot of chatter that this could be just a one and done deal. And if you could put yourself in Greg Olsen's shoes, how would you take the news and what would be your next step?
Speaker 12: Thanks? Dan?
Speaker 2: All right, thank you, Griff, Tom Brady's Tom Brady's agent. I was told this this morning. Now, whether it's going to happen, he has to put out fires. That's what that comment was. He's putting out a fire and maybe Tom does it for ten years. I was told it's too much money for a part time job for him to walk away. I was told that by source this morning, and look, I couldn't care less. If he wants to do it, great, Is he learning on the job in front of a whole lot of people? He is? Does he enjoy it? Does he want to continue? If I'm Greg Olsen, I just continued to do what I'm doing because you're the underdog, and people will they're going to think fondly of you, and they'll be excited. Probably when you're doing a game. They'll be by, Oh, Greg Olsen's doing the game. But I don't If Tom is doing it and doesn't want to commit full time to the Raiders job, okay, if he can do both, great. The NFL has already said we're looking the other way with conflict of interest here. They've already said that. I mean they are saying it by allowing Tom to be an announcer. And you got Ben Johnson and Aaron Glenn who are probably going to be interviewed by the Raiders or held in high esteem with the Raiders for their head coaching vacancy and Tom is there doing the game. Feels like a conflict of interest there. But if the NFL is going to let him do it. He is getting paid thirty seven million dollars for just doing that part time basis, and maybe he does it for a little while Longer. I thought, maybe you do it, prove that you can do it. You did a Super Bowl, and then maybe you move on to other things. But I don't know, Tom, you know what motivates him. I just felt, if you're going to be an owner, and now you're getting the keys to being that owner with the Raiders, then you go all in. I don't think you can do either part time, but you have a better chance of being an announcer part time. It feels like than if you want to be all in as an owner because the Raiders need a lot of help. We'll talk to David Carr, former number one overall pick. We have the most must win game of the weekend as well. We'll take a break. We're back after this and The Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Final Hour. In this Meet Friday, we'll talk to Mike Florio from Pro Football Talk. Also Jason Garrett Football Night in America will stop by your phone calls are always welcome. Each seven to seven three DP show it is to meet Friday. And in case you're wondering burgers and waffle fries, who has it better than we do? All right, seat and pull question for the final hour of the program, And if you want to recap the first two hours of the program, that'd be great.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we got one up here now, Polly sent over NFL quarterbacks get too much credit or too much blame?
Speaker 9: Right now?
Speaker 6: That is a fifty one to forty nine split. Do you want to guess which.
Speaker 2: One they get too much blame?
Speaker 6: Fifty one percent have them getting too much blame?
Speaker 2: Yes, too much blame.
Speaker 6: Does that mean that they those people wil simply they don't get enough credit? Is that the flip side of the coin or no?
Speaker 2: I think so? I think so, yes, Paul.
Speaker 3: Based off this result, the quarterbacks getting the exact amount of blame and credit.
Speaker 2: That's exactly what I was going to point out. Great point by you, Paul, they get too much blame and too much credit. And this bears that out. The poll question for the final hour.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we just put that one up about three minutes ago.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, and what about the poll questions the previous hours, anything to recap there?
Speaker 6: Yeah, okay, we have up there, Texans aside. If the Lions reached the Super Bowl, who should they want to play?
Speaker 9: Right now?
Speaker 6: They should want to play At forty two point three percent of the vote, the Chiefs at forty two point one percent is the Bills. I'll tell you one thing. They don't want to play the Ravens. I'll tell you apparently not.
Speaker 2: Apparently not. But it's weird to say. Yeah, bring on, Patrick Mahomes. I know it feels like they've been vulnerable all season long, but they also in these games. Yeah, they're close games, but they win these games. The number, the inordinate amount of games that are decided by seven points or less, it's at an all time high this season. You've got the one guy, you got, the fixer, you got the closer, you got Mariana Rivera Enter Sandman, and that's the difference in these games. It can be one possession and oftentimes it is. And if I have the ultimate one possession guy, I don't want to face him. I want to see Lamar Jackson and Josh Allen do it and keep doing it at you know, whether the pressure is really on them. We've seen the pressure on Mahomes. He does really good when the pressure is on it. So I understand where you'd say that feels like they're vulnerable, and they probably are, But Patrick Mahomes isn't vulnerable. Now. I would worry about the offensive line, as we saw when they played against Tampa a few years ago. When Patrick Mahomes has an ordinary line, he's ordinary and Tampa treated him that way. It doesn't happen very often, but it does feel like Kelsey is not Kelsey great Kelsey. He's good Kelsey, but he's another one of those big game game on the line. Six catches for ninety yards in a touchdown. It just feels like you can pencil that those kind of numbers in there all right. Eight seven to seven three DP Show email address Dpadanpatrick dot com, Twitter handle at DP show. Sunday, the playoffs continue the divisional round. It'll be the Rams going to Philly to take on Saquanity Eagles, the winner one step away from the Super Bowl. Coverage begins on NBC and Peacock at to Eastern. You can watch us on Peacock thank you for downloading the app, and we say good morning to our radio affiliate's over four hundred around America. Mike Florio's book. It's an ebook and it's now just ninety nine cents on Amazon, Father of Mine, Son of Mine, and on our way home, and I'm guessing AJ Brown on the sidelines. That would be great product placement, Mike, if he's reading your book on the sidelines. This weekend, we're.
Speaker 12: Going to Philly and I'm taking it with me and I'm gonna sneak over to the bench. I'm gonna skirt past Big Dom. I've got Sims and Devin mccorty ready to create a diversion and I'm gonna put it in the right spot and I'm hoping that we have that same jarring moment that we had.
Speaker 7: And I was watching the live and I'm like, what the hell He's got a book, and it was awesome.
Speaker 12: I always promote reading ninety nine cents. Can't find anything cheaper than that. Can't get this for ninety nine only the e book. You know, paper ain't free. But i want to get this in AJ Brown's hands and I'm taking it to Philly.
Speaker 7: It might get a little wet because it's going to snow now.
Speaker 2: But that's okay, what are you being told weatherwise? I know Kansas City will be cold. There's the chance for snow in Philadelphia, maybe in Buffalo as well.
Speaker 12: Well. The thing about weather forecasts, and I don't mean to in the entire industry, but it seems to me the only weather they.
Speaker 7: Ever get right is yesterday's.
Speaker 12: But at the same time, it's moving towards snow and the temperature is going to peak at thirty six degrees. This is your weather on the ones here on the Dan Patrick Show. It's going to peak at thirty six and it's going to gradually drop throughout the day. And then we have a nor'easter or something that's going to cause four to five inches of snow.
Speaker 7: Throughout the day.
Speaker 12: And it looks like the greatest chance of snow comes right about the time we'll be freezing our asses off on the sideline before the game and during the game. And remember that twenty thirteen Lions Eagles game in Philly. Matthew Stafford was the quarterback of the Lions. Then he's been through it. The rest of the team has not been.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and we were talking to David Carr, and he said, cold is what affects you. He said, you know, if it snows, you're okay with that. Wind is that's the big thing, if you know, if it's windy in these conditions here, And I was just talking about I kind of stumbled on this last hour where I said to David Carr, it feels like the Lions have more pressure on them than anybody else, including the team trying to threepeat in the Kansas City Chiefs. You're gonna lose your coordinators. Probably you had your opportunity last year. These windows close, and it just feels like they have the spotlight on them, shining a little brighter than anybody else.
Speaker 12: Your thoughts, yeo, When you talk about yourself as a team of destiny, that just amps it up even more. Now you're coming in as eight and a half point favorites against a team that feels more. If you watch the outcomes of some of these commander's games, it feels like destiny is on their side, not your side. And the challenge I think for Dan Campbell and the Lions because they've crafted this identity and being aggressive and going for it and that's who we are.
Speaker 7: You don't even wonder anymore when it's fourth and anything less than five.
Speaker 12: But man, when you get into single elimination, you have to wonder, are there moments where you should set aside who you are and work the circumstance dances toward winning the game. I go back to the NFC Championship. They're up seventeen at the half, the forty nine Ers get a field goal to cut it to fourteen.
Speaker 7: On the first drive of the third quarter.
Speaker 12: They get in position to put it back to a three score game and really put the clamps on the forty nine Ers, But they went for it because that's what we always do, and that's fine as long as it works. When it doesn't work, it opened the door for the comeback, and they came back and they knocked out the lines. Will Dan Campbell pivot from the nature of the team in the right moment to preserve a win. And when you're talking about a team like the Commanders that thrives on close games, it introduces even more risk if you are caught in this idea of do we go for the kill here or do we play it conservatively? And maybe with the Commanders you could make the argument it is the smart thing to do to go for a knockout whenever you can get one.
Speaker 2: I'm talking to Mike Florio Pro Football Talk. You can see that show preceding hours on Peacock. Why is the coaching carousel slowed down.
Speaker 12: Because there's only two guys who are no brainers going into it, Mike Vrabel and Ben Johnson. Now, with Ben Johnson, the question is is there a spot where he is willing to go and give up this opportunity to be part of an emerging juggernaut in Detroit. And also, not every guy wants to be the guy at the front of the room. I've heard that Ben Johnson relishes his current role as mad scientists, coming up with all these trick plays, running the offense and not dealing with the pressure of being the head coach. Look at what Dan Campbell has to deal with. I mean he got docksed. They had people show up at his house. When you're the offensive coordinator, that doesn't happen. When you're the head coach, that happens. And alignment has been the word most associated with Ben Johnson. He wants alignment with the front office.
Speaker 7: So you look at some of these.
Speaker 12: Jobs where there's a GM that maybe isn't going to be as aligned. And then you look at the Raiders where two days after they fired the head coach, they cleared.
Speaker 7: Out the GM.
Speaker 12: The alignment is more likely going to be in Vegas if he chooses that job, and all indications when you talk to people around the league are the Raiders really want him? The question is does he want to leave the Lions for anyone, specifically a Raiders team that needs a lot of help to become a contender.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I wondered about this that does he stay. I don't know how many assistant coaches, Mike and you probably have a better handle on this. Coordinators who realize that they aren't head coaches or that maybe they don't want to be head coaches. And I'm just throwing that out there. I don't have any numbers to back that up. It feels like that's the natural progression. But yeah, as I've said many times, the audience is tired of hearing it. Not every coordinator is meant to be a head coach.
Speaker 12: Well. The other thing too, Dan, When you're a coordinator and the window opens for you to be a head coach, some guys feel like they'd better jump through it now because it might close by next year. Johnson has the confidence, and it's backed up by having a great team on the field that he's working with that the window is going to stay open. So I don't have to go this year. He didn't go last year. You'll wait for the right spot. The problem is these jobs rarely come open because the team looking for a coach is a properly functioning NFL franchise. Every team, unless you have a retirement when the guy walks away and the team's on top, every team that's looking for a coach is a bad team that is trying to find a way to get better. So you go into a dysfunctional situation. Two or three years later, you get fired, you have that scarlet letter on your coaching resume, and then you go back to being a coordinator. I think Johnson understands that and it makes him reluctant to just take whatever comes along. There's a lot of factors that go into it, but number one is alignment, and if he doesn't have the alignment, he's not leaving. And I think this year, when you look at the jobs out there, you look at the teams that have interviewed him like the Jets are at least sufficiently self aware to not even bother to try to interview Don Johnson, right, So I give them credit there.
Speaker 7: They know what they are. But I think it's the.
Speaker 12: Raiders or Lions take that Raider's job or stay put for Johnson.
Speaker 2: Your favorite player Aaron Rodgers. Not sure if he's going to play again next year, but I saw where the Vegas odds the favorites the Vegas football team. Your thoughts on Tom Brady bringing in Aaron Rodgers for a year, Well, it.
Speaker 12: Makes sense depending upon who they ultimately hire as GM and head coach. I think he's not going to be back with the Jets. I think he wants the Jets to be the ones to end it. But I don't think he wants to go back to the Jets after the last two years. When you consider your ultimate football legacy, nothing's going to take away what he.
Speaker 7: Did in Green Bay. But I think any.
Speaker 12: Competitor wants the last memory of you to be something other than what it's been with the Jets the last two years. And for him, where's my spot where I can do what I thought I was going to do with the Jets, and I don't know that the Raiders are in When you're looking at the Chiefs and here are the Broncos who are ready to make a push, and the Chargers with Jim Harbaugh. It's going to be very difficult for the Raiders as long as they're in that division competing with those three teams. So that would be the one downside if you're Rogers. Yeah, hey, it makes sense. I know, Brady, Hey, they need a quarterback, you know, Las Vegas whatever, proximity to where he lives in the offseason, But is it really a spot where you're gonna have a chance to compete for a postseason berth and ultimately a championship.
Speaker 2: How real is the Deonda Dallas story in your opinion?
Speaker 12: Well, I think it was a master's stroke of publicity and attention. They drop it that Deonna talked to Jerry Jones during the Rams Vikings playoff game. They know what they're doing, and there's a lot of that Carnival Barker and Jerry Jones, but.
Speaker 7: I just don't see it happening under the current circumstances.
Speaker 12: And now Deon's a guy who said a year ago he'd never coached in the NFL. Then he says, I'd only coach my sons. Well, Shadur's not going to be the quarterback of the Cowboys next year. He may not be the quarterback of the Cowboys for a long time to come because of Dak Prescott's contract. So I don't see it making sense. But how many things do the Cowboys do that make sense? And at the end of the day, who are they going to hire? And here's the problem with doing the Hey we're going to talk to dian and Hey, we're going to talk to this guy, and hey, we're gonna talk about Bill Belichick. And our new coach is Kellen Moore. It's kind of a letdown, all due respect to Kevin Moore at the end of Kellen Moore at the end of the day, if that's where it goes. But I think a lot of people are thinking it's going to be Kellen Moore when it's all said and done with this weird possibility that Jason Witten could make the jump from high school football coach to Cowboys coach, because there are people who think one of these days is going to be the head coach of the Cowboys.
Speaker 7: It just might not be now, yeah.
Speaker 2: But he made that jump to broadcasting and that didn't go well for Jason Witten. I would think it would be a tough a tougher jump from high school football to coaching the Cowboys. See Oh my god, you're right. You're right, Dan, It's not real.
Speaker 7: I mean, is it really a coveted job? Is it really?
Speaker 12: When you go to Dallas, you have to accept the fact that Jerry's the one who's shopping for the groceries, that Jerry's going to do two radio spots a week that are going to make headlines during the season, that he's going to do a postgame media scrum that's going to outshine your postgame press conference. You've got to be ready to deal with that if you're a head coach, and a lot of these guys who want to be the head coach don't want Jerry Jones to be the face and voice of the team.
Speaker 2: Well, I don't think being the coach of the Cowboys means as much as it once did thirty years ago. I still think being the quarterback of the Cowboys still means an awful lot. But that's the problem I have with this job. No matter who takes the job, You've got a thirty two year old, injury prone, immobile quarterback who's making who's owed over two hundred and thirty million dollars guaranteed. That's not something I want to walk into.
Speaker 12: Cowboys have done a great job drafting and developing. They have made numerous mistakes figuring out what to do with their young players when it's time to pay them. They've paid the wrong guys like Michael Gallup. They've not paid or waited too long to pay the right guys, which paints them into a corner. They did that twice with Dak Prescott. They did that Dak Prescott current contract sixty million a year with all that guaranteed money, on the morning of the regular season opener, because they knew we need to do this or he's gonna walk away as a free agent. And in hindsight, plenty of Cowboys fans would say, we should have let him play it out and start from scratch at the quarterback position. But they have just mishandled the negotiations. They wait too long, they lowball the players, and then they come around and cry uncle, it's just not a good way to build a sustainable, successful franchise.
Speaker 2: Let me look at a couple of resumes here before I let you go. If I said Sean Payton, Mike Tomlin, Mike McCarthy, who are Hall of famers right now?
Speaker 12: And I saw the tweet earlier in the week from the guy at ESPN who goes by hembo that McCarthy needs a better publicist because McCarthy has a better track record.
Speaker 7: Than Peyton and Tomlin.
Speaker 12: When you look at some of the big picture things, I think that Tomlin right now, given the eighteen years in Pittsburgh, give that it's the Steelers, two super Bowl appearances, consistent contender, never had a losing season. I think Tomlin is the guy who walks right in. But you know Peyton and MacArthur are gonna have strong cases. But then there's a log jam. There's plenty of coaches who deserve to be in who haven't gotten in, and they always change the rules a little bit, and you never quite know what the standard is or what the process is, or whether coaches are competing with other players, are competing with owners, or.
Speaker 7: They have their own lane.
Speaker 12: It's hard for guys who deserve to be in to get in, like a Mike Holmgren and a Mike Shanahan. So the coaches of today are going to be caught behind that.
Speaker 7: But I think Tomlin is the one.
Speaker 12: Eighteen years, no losing seasons, two super Bowl appearances, playoff appearances. I think Tomlin is the one of the three that's the most likely to get in.
Speaker 2: Safe travels to Philadelphia. Play nice there, Mike, Well, I'm not.
Speaker 12: The one that needs to be told to play nice. I gotta worry about the fans. Rodney Harrison's gonna throw snowballs at me. It's going to be a challenging day.
Speaker 7: I might wear a helmet.
Speaker 2: He's Mike Florio Pro Football Talk Live, and he'll be there with NBC Football Night in America. His book all of his books available on ebook novels and just ninety nine cents on Amazon, Father Mind, Son of Mine. And on our way home, we'll take a break, Jason Garrett said, to join us next here on the Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 1: You are listening to The Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: More of your phone calls coming up eight seven, seven and three DP show update the poll results here in a moment. As we catch up with Jason Garrett and NBC Football Night in America, will be on the road Sunday at two eastern in Philadelphia. It'll be the divisional game between the Rams and Eagles. Kickoff will be at three eastern on NBC and Peacock. By the way, Jason, this summer was a busy guy. He was working with NFL Films and in May he was with Troy Aikman and Dak Prescott. He then traveled to San Diego he was with Drew Brees, North Turner, and then the legendary quarterback coach Tom Howell went to Phoenix he worked with Kurt Warner. He also was there for Aaron Rodgers and in Buffalo with Josh out So what was he doing with all of these great offensive minds, all of these quarterbacks, and what he did is available on YouTube. Jason joins us, now, so give us his synopsis of what you were trying to accomplish or did accomplish with your summer project here.
Speaker 11: Yeah, you know, a couple of years ago, I was up in training camp visiting the Packers and Matt Lafour was great. I spent the whole day with him at seven meetings and at the end of the day we're finishing out the quarterback meeting. And you know, I used to always tell our players in Dallas that if you get a chance to be around greatness, don't ask guys about their house or their car or their boat, right ask him about why they're great. And so I'm sitting next to Aaron Rodgers and I said, I'm going to take my own advice here. And I just turned to him and said, hey, just before I leave, just give me one thought. I'm throwing one of the best throwers of his generation, one of the best of all time.
Speaker 9: And I've known him for a long time.
Speaker 11: My first year coaching was in Miami for Nick Saban and it was two thousand and five, the year that Alex Smith and Aaron Rodgers were coming out.
Speaker 9: We had the second pick of the draft.
Speaker 11: So spent a lot of time with him then, and coached him in the Pro Bowl and competed against him.
Speaker 9: And he's always been very generous with me.
Speaker 11: And so he jumps up out of the seat and he says, all I think about when I throw is getting the way to the inside of my left ankle, the inside of my left half, and the inside of my left knee. And I'm like, like, what are you talking about? I've never heard anybody talk about that, and so it struck me. I'm flying home that night and I had a throwing sequence.
Speaker 9: Of Joe Namath on my wall when I was growing up.
Speaker 11: It was eight throws from his book The Classic A Matter of Style. I don't know if you remember that, but it was just incredible, and so I had this image of name it in my mind.
Speaker 9: But bup bup, bup, up up up buck talking about throwing.
Speaker 11: That's how I that's how I envision the perfect throwing motion. And here's Aaron Rodgers fifty years later talking about the inside of his left ankle, like, what are we talking about here?
Speaker 9: So it struck me that the best thrower then throw it one way.
Speaker 11: The best thrower now throws it another way, and the evolution of the throwing.
Speaker 9: Motion it's different.
Speaker 11: And so I asked a few people about it, and they kind of agreed with me, and I said, I want to talk to the principal guys.
Speaker 9: I want to talk to the guys who are actually throwing the ball.
Speaker 11: And so I got with Troy and Dak and then they kind of grew to a chance to talk to Drew Brees and Tom House and norv and everybody from there, and eventually would talk to Aaron and Josh Allen And what we found out is it has evolved that the great throwers back then could really throw the ball. You go back and look at the tape of Joe Namath and Terry Bradshaw and those guys. They could throw the heck out of the ball, Marino, Elway, Aikman, all these guys. But they threw it differently than the guys are throwing it today. And we did an examination of it. We did it with NFL films, and NFL films, as we all know, is one of the great entities of all times.
Speaker 9: So it was a really fun project to do.
Speaker 2: But also this is the evolution of the golf swing. They're hitting it further, they're using the ground getting kind of leveraged with that. With baseball, we're seeing pictures throw you know, more pictures throwing faster than ever can can. Are these quarterbacks throwing the ball faster?
Speaker 9: Like?
Speaker 2: Is that is that important? Or is it the quickness of the release that's more important.
Speaker 9: Well, one thing that.
Speaker 11: You know, part of this project is we're going to try to go deeper on this. It was a twenty two minute segment NFL Films Presents and one of my pangs when we finished it was we probably use less than a one percent of the content for each of the guys. Troy Aikman talked about it for over an hour, Drew Brees hour and a half. I mean, we had so much great stuff and you have to try to fit it into this into this little window.
Speaker 9: So I think you can go a lot deeper on all this.
Speaker 11: And one of the great takeaways is all these rotational athletes do things with the same principles of physics. And you said it, it's ground force, it's rotation, it's lag.
Speaker 9: You know this concept of.
Speaker 11: Lag where you're opening your hips and you're keeping your upper body clothsed and you're kind of cork screwing and then it all whipping together. That's not something we talked a ton about when I was growing up throwing a football. It was more about show the rotation. It's all coming together, and so I think these guys are more into that. And a big part of this is the game has changed. When you think about name It. We go back and we see these pictures of name It. He's literally taking a thirteen step drop. He's fifteen yards behind the line of scrimmage, rifling these balls down the field. And you know, some people say name when I completed fifty percent of his pass as he threw more interceptions than touchdowns.
Speaker 9: Well, the game was completely different back then.
Speaker 11: Bubble screens and rocket screens and get it out of your hand and all that kind of stuff.
Speaker 9: That's not what the game was.
Speaker 11: So these guys were bigger, stronger, like rifling it down the field. Now it's more like shortstop to second base. We're getting the ball out of our hand a lot. So how do you generate power with using ground force and rotation and have these quicker, little Derek Jeter type throws in the middle of the infield. I think the game has become a lot of that, and these guys are awfully good at it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's available on YouTube. It's nerdtastic, like you'll nerd out if you're into this stuff. And Jason sent it to me and I'm like, this is great. You did a great job. Jason will be in Philadelphia. It's the Rams and the Eagles coming up on Sunday. There's always a surprise divisional round weekend. Give me this surprise.
Speaker 9: I don't think there's a surprise this weekend. I really don't.
Speaker 11: I think Kansas City wins as great as Houston was last week. You know, we had the show on Sunday night, and we had these gigantic pictures of Andy Reid, Patrick Mahomes, and Travis Kelsey behind us, and I just turned around and said, first ballot, first ballot, first ballot.
Speaker 9: And they're playing at home.
Speaker 11: I think it's hard for Houston, as great as they played last week, to go up there and beat them.
Speaker 9: I really do. I think it'll be.
Speaker 11: Hard for Washington to go into Detroit to win as great as Jayden Daniels was last week. I think it's gonna be hard for the Rams to go to Philly and win. And then the one that I think everybody's waiting for is Josh against Lamar, and I think that's a pick him anyway. So I don't see any big surprises. I think we's have four great games.
Speaker 2: You got to take Josh Allen or Lamar Jackson? Who you taking?
Speaker 11: Every time I'm on this show, you're asking me these kinds of questions. Gun to my head, I'd take Josh Allen, but I think Lamar Jackson is one of the most amazing players I've ever seen.
Speaker 9: In my life, so it's hard for me to argue against him.
Speaker 11: Two time MVP, he'll probably be a third MVP, and he's revolutionized the quarterback position.
Speaker 2: But well, I thought Josh Allen was the MVP this year, even Lamar had the stats. Last year, Josh had the stats, didn't win. So I like, it's a fluid philosophy or criteria for voting for MVP, and I think that's where I go. Okay, I didn't expect Buffalo to be this good. Now, granted they were in a bad division, but I looked at them as an underdog, and I thought I'd actually seen Josh Allen become a great quarterback this year where he didn't force it, he didn't put on the Superman cape as much as he likes to, and it felt like that was a true team effort. So MVP for a team, I would give it to him. I thought, Derrick Henry is a great security blanket. Now, I did have somebody, a coach who said the following, you keep talking about how you know Derrick Henry helped Lamar Jackson. Did you ever think Lamar Jackson helped out Derrick Henry as well, because what he was in Tennessee, anybody could have had him. Nobody wanted him. They take him and he rushes for nearly two thousand yards. So a long winded way of saying, I would take Josh. There's no wrong answer in this.
Speaker 9: Yeah. The trickiest thing for me is I was fortunate to be.
Speaker 11: On those great teams with the Cowboys in the nineties, and one of the things I learned was everyone benefited from each other. Troy Aikman made Emitt Smith better. Emma Smith made Troy Aikman better. Emmitt Smith made the receivers better. The line made Emmitt better. Emmitt made the line better. They made the defense better, the defense.
Speaker 9: You know. And so that's when when you're a great team, that's what happens. And sometimes you.
Speaker 11: Say each of the guys, their candidacy for something like MVP gets diminished because hey, he's got Derrick Henry. Well, yeah, you know, and fair or unfair, but that's what teams are. You know, Magic and Kareem played together. You know, Burd McHale played together. I mean, Jordan and Pippin played together. I mean, if you want to be a great championship team, you have to have good players around you, and so I don't think we should diminish Lamar, but it certainly is an advantage for Lamar to have Big twenty two behind him.
Speaker 2: Jason Garrett, NBC Football Night in America, former Cowboys head coach, what advice would you give Dion Sanders about taking the Cowboys job if offered?
Speaker 11: If he wants to do it, he should take it. He's done an amazing job at Colorado. I think he's changing college football in some ways and he's impacting a ton of lives. But if he feels compelled to die, dive into it. Dive into it. He and Jerry have a long relationship and they need to know.
Speaker 2: Though Jason, about Jerry the owner, don the coach, that's different than that owner and that player. So this is different. This is day to day, week to week, game to game, and that's a whole different game.
Speaker 9: No doubt.
Speaker 11: But I but I bring that up just because that relationship matters. I think I think Dion knows Jerry, Jerry knows Dion, and I think they can have the kind of conversations you need to have between owner slash general manager and head coach. You got to be able to be honest and to direct with each other. And when you're the head coach in that situation, sometimes things don't go your way. Sometimes you want to do something and the owner in general manager wants to do something else. And that's part of the deal. Everybody's got a boss, right. So I do think they can be honest with each other. I don't think they'll be walking on eggshells around each other. I think they value their relationlationship, and I think they can be direct with each other.
Speaker 9: I think that benefits that situation.
Speaker 11: So my encouragement to him would be, tell Jerry what you think it might not go your way, tell him what.
Speaker 9: You think he needs to know.
Speaker 11: What you think about this player, this coach, this philosophy, what we're doing on offense, defense, And then if it becomes something where you have to get into it you have a disagreement, hopefully you can rely on that relationship.
Speaker 9: You've had to work your way through it, and I think that's an important thing.
Speaker 2: Just feels like they're two CEOs though, Jason.
Speaker 11: Well, if you think about the what the position of head coach is, there's a lot of great coordinators on offense and defense who go become head coaches and they're not real good at it because maybe they don't fully understand that being a head coach is a leadership position first and foremost, and there has to be layers of leadership in an organization. It's multi tiered leadership, so it's owner and general manager, but then it's head coach, and then it's coordinators, it's quarterback.
Speaker 9: All of that.
Speaker 11: So I don't know that because both of them have leaderships CEO type skills, I don't know that it has to be combative. It can be layered, and I think that's an important piece of this. Hopefully they don't step over each other, and hopefully the big CEO gives the next CEO a chance to put his imprint on the team, because I think that's an important part of it.
Speaker 2: But what was it like when Jerry's holding his own press conference?
Speaker 11: Sometimes it could be challenging because, as you know, media people.
Speaker 2: That's a fun word there, challenging.
Speaker 11: Media people love to find the wedge and so sometimes, you know, Jerry would say something and I think the people who were covering our team knew that probably that wasn't something that I agreed with and they say, hey, Jerry said this, what do you think about that?
Speaker 9: So you had to deal with that. But you know, it's it comes with the dinner.
Speaker 11: As Troy used to say, you just figure it out and you can't let you can't let those things detract from what you're trying to build. Sometimes you'd wish they weren't there. You didn't have to deal with those distractions. There's a lot of attention on that team anyway, so why we you know, and fuel to the fire. But you know, again, it's part of it and you'll work your way through it.
Speaker 2: I asked Tim Callishaw. If I said to Jerry Jones, you can't hold you can't have a radio show, can't do any interviews for the next five years, but you're I'm going to guarantee you as super Bowl. Would Jerry be able to go without being interviewed do his radio shows? If I said you're going to win a Super Bowl.
Speaker 9: Again? I just don't think. I just don't think he wants to give that up.
Speaker 11: Someone asked me the other day, you know, do you go in there and do you try to you try to change Jared Jones.
Speaker 9: I said, he's eighty two years old.
Speaker 11: You're not changing him. This is what he wants to do. He took a lot of risk in his life. He made a lot of money. He'll tell you the story about how he bought the Dallas Cowboys, a risky endeavor and with that risk comes a lot of reward and a lot of freedom. And part of it is he feels like he wants to be the lead voice of the organization.
Speaker 9: And I don't see him giving that up anytime.
Speaker 2: Soon, that's for sure. You'll find Jason Garrett this video. I don't even know how to describe it, but it's on YouTube. And if you love sort of the evolution of the quarterback and throwing and hearing from all these Hall of famers, it's really great. It's nerdtastic, as I've come up with that word. And Jason will be on the road. It'll be football night in America in the afternoon on Sunday. They started two o'clock with the Rams and the Eagles. Save travels and thanks for joining.
Speaker 9: Us, Yeah, thanks, Dan. Always enjoy it.
Speaker 2: That Jason Garrett. There's always one of those questions I have to ask Jason where he goes. You always do this to me every time I come on. YEP, and if I was on Football Night in America still I would do that too. For a national TV audience, yes, Paul.
Speaker 3: But so many people speculate on coaching the Cowboys and what it's like day to day. This guy for a long time, did it? I mean it's I can't imagine the juggle of when you go to the podium and the owner is just spoken.
Speaker 2: You don't know what he says, like, wait a minute, what does he do?
Speaker 11: What did