Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio Final Hour.
Speaker 2: In this Wednesday Dan and the Dan Nets Dan Patrick Show, we'll talk to Robert Griffin.
Speaker 3: Third.
Speaker 2: Spent a little time with Jim Nance opening up the scrap book heading down memory lane five hundred NFL games that he's called. When you think about broadcasting careers, sports broadcasting careers, now, I'm fortunate to be friends with al Michaels, I work with Chris Berman, Keith Jackson. I got to know him later on in his life, jack Buck. I mean, there's so many great legendary broadcasters, and you know, you were in it for the long haul. I think all of those broadcasters looked at how do I have a long shelf life? Now it's different now, you know, you have a podcast, maybe you're not doing network TV, maybe you're streaming, maybe you're on YouTube. You know, there's a lot of different ways to be in the business. And I think that's great. That's encouraging for a lot of pe people who want to do this. It's a really hard job to do. It's hard to get into the business. But it used to be CBSABC, NBC, that was it. I didn't get a job locally in Dayton, Ohio. I got passed over. I went to CNN. CNN was just starting out, got an opportunity and I was doing headline sports, not glamorous. I'm making eighteen five hundred dollars. But I tell my students at the Dan Patry School of Broadcasting at full sale, if you can do this job and it doesn't matter where you are or what you're making, but you get to call yourself a professional sportscaster, would you take the job. Now, everybody wants to work at ESPN or Fox or CBS, NBC, but there's so many people who do this at you know, Bozeman, Montana, or Syracuse or you know, all of these different places. So you know, Jim Nann started out. He was in Salt Lake, he was doing the jazz games, and then all of a sudden he got handpicked and I think he was like twenty five years of age. If it didn't go well, Jim Nance is not Jim Nance, but he was ready for the moment and has become one of the great broadcasters of all time. And I've been fortunate to have worked or have relationships with these people. Longevity was always important for me. Having a legacy, what did you do with that time and being professional? And Jim is, you know, an epitome of that. He's done it. He's done it at a high level. When you're doing Final Four, when you're doing the Masters, when you're doing the Super Bowl. Hean, it doesn't get any better than that. And he's at the pinnacle, and I'm happy for him. He's done it the right way. Al Michaels, you know, there's so many broadcasters. You know, Joe Buck has done incredible things starting at a young age and we didn't even know or call it nepotism then, but he was getting that opportunity because he's dad and he had to prove himself so to be around sort of the evolution of a whole new wave of Hall of Fame broadcasters has been really rewarding for me. And really I'm competitive. You know, you have Bob Costas, who is probably the greatest sports broadcaster of all time. You know, he's if I put him up there as the Tom Brady of our business, I mean, I don't think that's overstating it for what he has meant to the history. You know, just dealing with the Olympics, it was always a big deal. It was a big moment when Bob was doing something. Marv Albert all the games that he called. I mean, there's so many people who have done this at such a high level that I've been very fortunate to have either work with him or I know them, and I would have broadcaster envy. I brought this up to Jim Nance that you know Chris Fowlery, we talked to him last week, that you hear somebody have a call and you can't help but be competitive as a play by play guy. Now I'm not a play by play guy, but when you hear somebody make a great call and they just nail it, I wonder if you're a play by play voice and you go, God, I wish I would have been there. What I've called it differently, dick Enberg was one of those people growing up. He was always smooth, He just sounded great, He was likable, and he was there for big moments. Pat sommerl John Madden. I mean, I'm going to leave out people, but there are people who have done it for a long long time at a very very high level, and I have great respect for what they do, and you kind of take it for granted. You know, we took Keith Jackson for granted, it was college. His voice was college football. You know, you're just kind of watching your listening and they become sort of the fabric of that sport. And Mel Allen when he was doing baseball. You know, you just go down the list of wonderful people and I think there's a common thread that they have, and they're very bright, and they retain knowledge, all of them very bright. Like Al has such a photographic memory, Bob costas photographic memory, and I think you have to have that. You got to be smart, retain and then you have a good vocabulary. And you also have to be cool under pressure. Because here's Jim Nance who did a Super Bowl when it was in New Orleans. The power goes out, Well, what are you doing? They don't say a just in case the power goes out in the Superdome, you don't do that, like you're not planning for that. But Doc Emeric like talk about somebody who's the voice of a sport and to be able to be around him at the Olympics and just you know, by proxy, I'm picking his brain. He doesn't know it at the time. We're at lunch and I'm just I'm just listening. I just wanted him to talk. I wanted him to tell me about a process. And I realized that he truly loved what he did, and he promoted the game that he was calling. And today we can be selfish. Back then you were selfless. You were promoting the game. Sometimes, you know, we get out in front of it. I did this at Sports Center, where you make it seem like you're more important than the highlights that you're calling. But uh, just wonderful. And I love having Jim on because I don't know how much longer he's going to do it. I don't know how much longer I'm going to do it, but there's a shared respect there that will always be there. Mike in Atlanta, Hey Mike, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 4: Hey?
Speaker 3: Dan, how you guys doing today?
Speaker 2: Great? Great?
Speaker 5: All right, Hey, first off, I'm going to talk about Jim Nants.
Speaker 3: But I called in last month. I was heading up.
Speaker 5: To my father's funeral in Minnesota, and you guys advised me not to go to the game before the funeral. And I got to the funeral and I found out that three of my siblings and five of my nieces and nephews actually went to the game.
Speaker 3: So bad advice from you. But anyway, on to Jim Nance, Why is it that whenever you hear his voice as a man, the way he speaks, he brings a tear to your eye.
Speaker 2: Well, he's Jim NaN's I think you. You hear that voice and you think of big moments, whether it's Tiger Woods, Tiger Woods again, Tiger hugging his son, Tiger hugging his father, watching March Madness, somebody has a big shot, wins it championship. He's there when you have these emotional moments because we get intertwined in that. You get caught up in that emotion and Jim carries you along. He's telling stories. That's what he does. He tells stories, and it's not easy to do that. Mike Tariko, you know there's so many play by play guys that their ability to be able to kind of carry you along. You start out with chapter one, that could be the first quarter, chapter two, the second quarter. You know, you're you're kind of creating a book nonfiction right in front of you, and Jim does a wonderful John not doing that all right? Eight seven seven three DP show email address dp at dan Patrick dot com, Twitter handle it tp show we closed out last hour. Just a sampling of in or out? And I think a controversial answer by Fritzi PAULI, would you give that question again? And uh, then we'll go to the other questions for are you in or are you out?
Speaker 6: To recap the policy at the end of my statement, you say in or out. Mike McCarthy is closer to a Super Bowl today than he was a week ago.
Speaker 2: Okay, And Todd said.
Speaker 7: In to the prospect of possibly winning super with another team.
Speaker 2: All right, here we go. Everybody else was out.
Speaker 6: The Dion Sanders possibly to the Cowboys story is not real.
Speaker 2: I am in that it's probably not real. Anybody think it's real? Todd. I think it's sort of real.
Speaker 7: I don't think it's gonna happen, but I think it's a I don't think it's a totally fabricated thing.
Speaker 2: Okay, So it's sort of real, sort of real. I think it's sort of nothing. Yes, okay, Yes.
Speaker 4: This is where it gets a little tricky.
Speaker 2: Is the story real? No? Is the topic real? Yes?
Speaker 4: And the two things get blended together. So even before Mike McCarthy had lost his job. People were like, I think Dion Sanders is the next coach there, and so the topic is very real, but I don't.
Speaker 2: Think the story is actually very real at all. It's very desirous of the networks. Shows you you're rooting for something like this because it makes our job easier when you got these kind of topics. It's like Ben Johnson goes to the Cowboys, like, all right, they got Ben Johnson, all right, good luck fixing Doc. Then the Cowboys they're gonna get d On. It's just different. It changes everything. And you know, if First Take or and the Fox Show, any of those shows you're leading with this, it's it's wishful reporting there. But I don't think it's real. Here we go, all.
Speaker 6: Right, the Titans and the Browns have the first and second pick of the NFL Draft. If it's between the Titans and the Browns, Shador Sanders should pull in. Eli Manning should pull in Eli Manning.
Speaker 2: I'm out. I'm out, Like who was he Like, Okay, you're a good quarterback.
Speaker 6: But I would say I'm in ish because the Giants had the third pick of the draft. Eli Manning was a good college quarterback, A very good college quarterback. They didn't win any national titles or anything.
Speaker 2: With them, but he pulled it. That was just the Chargers. Yeah, I don't think if other teams were And look, I was, I was involved in I knew what was going on a little bit more than most people did. And I and it's only because I was witnessing a conversation.
Speaker 5: I was.
Speaker 2: I was there with some people and I was hearing a conversation. It's not like I was eavesdropping. I was part of the group that was having a conversation, so I was aware of this. I don't think that story has ever truly been told. I don't know if it ever gets told, but I think it was just the Chargers. Yeah.
Speaker 4: If Shudoor Sanders was to pull an Eli Manning, I don't believe he will be given the same grace that Eli Manning was given after making that decision.
Speaker 2: Well, I don't know what social media would have said, if there was social media back then, But you're right, this is going to be all who do you think you are, Shudoor Sanders. You know at the time, you're going, damn, Eli's going to get roughed up here. He better be really good but there was no social media. Social media would rough up deonn En Shudor Sanders. But I don't know if you're him, Okay, you got a chance. You can walk in and start in Cleveland. You can walk in and start in Tennessee and walk in and start with the Giants. I don't know. I mean, look, do I want to go to that the Browns organization WITHOU ownership? No, I would not Tennessee. I don't about that ownership. The Giants haven't been the Giants for a while, but that is the New York market, so maybe that would factor in as well. Yes, ton, I think.
Speaker 7: Schudor would seton point that would get slammed a lot more than Eli. And also remember those fabricator reports that Cayleb Williams won't play for the Bears, or he had certain teams on his list, which ended up like a supposedly not being true, and he was getting crushed even before people could even realize whether that was even accurate story or not.
Speaker 2: Well, John Elway got roughed up. John Elway got roughed up when he did that to the Colts, But he didn't want to go to an organization that wasn't a good organization, and he had the power to be able to do that because he put it out there that hey, I'll just play minor league baseball I think one Onta Yankees. But then he got the trade, and then you know, Elway created a Hall of Fame career. ELI worked out a Hall of Fame career. What if Cooper Flagg says I don't want to play for the Wizards. Could you see Cooper Flagg doing an Eli manning that was next time I lift? No, it was it was not okay, six months or not will be.
Speaker 6: I'd rather be roughed up by the media than roughed up by a franchise for five years.
Speaker 2: But here we go.
Speaker 6: The college football National Title game should always be played at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena. A number of people have brought this up in the past month. The College football and National Title Game should be fixed at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena, in or out.
Speaker 2: Well, I love the you know the landscape backdrop, but you couldn't do it now. Imagine if they were going to be playing at the Rose Bowl, given what's happened in Los Angeles, they'd be moving but moving forward. Love it beautiful every time I go to the Rose bul It's like, damn, this is great. So I'm in, in in. I'm in, in, in in. Anybody else got a venue that, yes, time I'm out.
Speaker 7: Only because I like it moving around different site sounds different to bases. Are people even if you're not a fan of one of those teams, just to have people then may be more close proximity to certain stadiums, so it's not always, you know, across the country for some people.
Speaker 6: Two more, Okay, man, I don't all right. This one I think is simple. If Lamar Jackson leads the Ravens to a super Bowl victory, he's in the Hall of Fame, zero doubt. At age twenty eight.
Speaker 2: I think he's already in the Hall of Fame without a super Bowl rank, yes, even a super Bowl appearance. I think he's already in at twenty. I think he's gonna win another MVP. He's gonna have three by the time he's twenty eight, and he's gonna be the all time rushing leader amongst quarterbacks, and I would say he's probably already in the Hall of Fame.
Speaker 6: I thought this might be a throwaway, all right. Last one, the Vikings should move on from Sam Darnold.
Speaker 2: I'm todd. I'll start with you in or out out.
Speaker 7: I know those last two games were horrible, but fourteen three there's enough there and I don't know who they would get instead, So stick with Sam at least one more year.
Speaker 2: I ain't seat O'Connor. I'm in to get rid of him.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I'm in to get rid of him. He unfortunately he had a good season, but the two most important games of the year he fell apart.
Speaker 2: All right, Marvin, are you in on Sam Donald? Out? I'm out. JJ McCarthy better be what you think he is. If Sam Donald's gone, I'm I would like to have him for one more year. So that's in Ish or you're out in Ish. I'm I'm in on him eventually being out.
Speaker 6: So you're out on the topic because the Viking should move on from Sam Donald.
Speaker 2: You're out Ish on that Outish?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, there it is. That's it. We've done it. We've played in or out are. People are sending me other legendary broadcasters here, and and yes, Vin Scully is obviously one of my favorites.
Speaker 3: There.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of broadcasters. I knew that once they started, I was going to forget people, but you know, we're just talking off the top of our heads here. After having Jim Nance on, we'll take a break. RG three will join us next back after this.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsportsradio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 8: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together we're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 9: You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 8: Why should you listen to Covino and Rich.
Speaker 9: We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world.
Speaker 8: We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss.
Speaker 9: And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together. I mean that says something, right, So.
Speaker 2: Check us out. We like to get you involved too. Take your phone calls, top it up.
Speaker 9: As they say, I'd say the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio maybe the.
Speaker 2: Most interactive show on planetar.
Speaker 8: Be sure to check out Cavino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific.
Speaker 9: And if you miss any of the live show, just search Koben on Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media.
Speaker 2: That's Covino and Rich. Penn State tight end Tyler Warren has announced he's going pro. I haven't seen mock drafts and where they have him, but I would think can you put him in that Rock Bowers category? Different? Bowers has great speed, Tyler Warren is just he's a football player. You could probably have him. How many positions did he play at Penn State? Because I'll bet he probably is listed or at least played five different positions maybe for them. But is he the first tight end off the board, and can you have him feature the way the Raiders did Rock Bowers?
Speaker 6: Yes, Paul, Yeah, there's an article about him that says he's lined up, has the list of the different plays he's played and locations by position. H back, fullback, tight end, slot, wide, receiver. He's played all them numerous times.
Speaker 2: It's always game time, Big Ten Basketball Live on NBC Juju Watkins leading USC into Indiana. That'll be January nineteenth on NBC and Peacock. It is always game time. So we just played in or out as we welcome in Robert Griffin Junior, the third to play in or out. You can check out out of Pocket with RG three on YouTube wherever you get your podcast. Good to talk to you again. All right, are you in or out? Sam Darnold staying with the Vikings.
Speaker 10: Oh yeah, I mean I'm out. I'm out on that JJ McCarthy. You know, I you know if people tend to forget about JJ, but I was a huge JJ guy coming out. I know why NFL coaches love him. He can make the practical plays. He's not a stat merchant and he's not worried about those types of things. But he can also make the off schedule play and has the athleticism and mobility that you look for. Sam Darnold, in my opinion, I don't think that his fall off was as big dan as people are making it out to be. I think the eighteen weeks of the season, or the seventeen weeks.
Speaker 2: Of the season that he played well still.
Speaker 10: Are gonna, you know, help him in free agency, but I do not think that he'll be back with Minnesota.
Speaker 2: Are you in or out that the Cowboys Dion Sanders story is a real story. I'm in with an asterisk.
Speaker 10: I've talked to Dion, and I knew this months ago that the only way he'll go to the NFL is if he has an opportunity to coach his sons, and he's been very adamant about that recently. It wasn't my information to share at the time, but I don't think he's gonna go to the NFL just to be an NFL coach, and he doesn't want to after his sons. He's set them up to be in a position where they can be highly drafted.
Speaker 2: If you're Shader and Shalloh will have a chance to go play in the NFL as well. But I'm in.
Speaker 10: I think he's the best option and Dan I got to say I was the first person to say it when it wasn't popular last year on the Settlement a Night countdown.
Speaker 2: So I'm in on that. Yeah. I've been saying all along that I thought that there was something up with him with the Raiders if they were going to get the number one pick, and Dion could have gone there and taken his son number one. Could you have seen that scenario because I thought that since Tom got in there as the part time owner minority owner, Yeah, I thought for sure.
Speaker 10: And I know that Dion, you know, he's very supportive of other coaches, and this is something that I'm not sure people really pay attention to a ton where it was Kenny Dillingham at Arizona State, where there's Marcus Freeman, where there's Mike Vick in.
Speaker 2: His situation in Norfolk State.
Speaker 10: He's very supportive coach of other coaches, and he didn't want to undercut Antonio Pierce. So I remember they were at that banquet a few weeks ago when Pierce was the coach, and he was like, hey draft my son blah blah blah, because he wants his son to be in a situation that, you know, Tom Brady being there have an influence mentoring Shaudor would be great.
Speaker 2: So I was in on that as well.
Speaker 10: I didn't think that Dallas was the only place that Dion could go and be a head coach in the NFL. But I did think that before this season they should have fired Mike McCarthy and hired Dion to bring an identity and a culture there to Dallas of winning that he's brought to with him to Jackson State and now also to Colorado.
Speaker 2: All Right, are you in or out Shadore pulling in Eli Manning Tennessee or Cleveland were to draft.
Speaker 10: Him, man, I think I'd be in. I'd be in because at the end of the day, I'm a player empowerment guy.
Speaker 2: And it's funny.
Speaker 10: Because last year I said that Caleb Williams should have pulled in the Ali Manning on the Chicago Bears, and a lot of people got upset with me. But Dan, I don't know if you noticed, I ended up being right about that. And the bottom line is structure matters, who the coach is matters, who you have around you matters. And if chaduer because he's a grown man, feels that Tennessee or Cleveland are not the right place for him, then that's his decision to make. I, for one, believe that they're not the right place for him.
Speaker 2: So I'd be in on that. Who has more to gain from a win? This weekend in Buffalo with Josh Allen Lamar Jackson.
Speaker 10: I think Lamar Jackson has more to gain. If you look at their playoff numbers. Josh Allen has a quarterback rating over one hundred, and his kryptonite has really been Patrick Mahomes and the Kansas City chiefs Lamar krypton kite has been his second playoff game and just his success in the playoffs altogether. So I think if Lamar loses, you will see or should I say the Baltimore raven lose, because quarterbacks don't win lose games. But if the Ravens lose, you'll see a lot of people come out and destroy and destroyer Lamar Jackson and and and in this case, I would I would have to agree that that it's warranted. This is an MVP showdown. And then I wish I wish the trophy was on the line in this game, because that would be just add so much more intrigue to it. But I do think Lamar has more to lose. But I don't think the game comes down to Lamar Josh. I think it comes down to Dereck Henry and James Cook, and that's I believe that's the matchup between those two, and the offensive lines up front will determine who wins the game.
Speaker 2: Talking to RG three, fill in the blank. Justin Herbert is blank. Justin Herbert is Philip Rivers. That's what he is right now, and Philip Rivers it is a compliment. Dan, would you would you love to have the career that Philip Rivers had compared to who?
Speaker 10: I'm asking you just as a as a fan, as a guy who's covered the game, and would you love to have the career that Philip Rivers had?
Speaker 2: I would take Joe Flacco's over Philip Rivers, but should not answer the question. Okay, would you I think that most I would take Philip Rivers career? Yes, I think most fans would would take Philip Rivers career.
Speaker 10: So when you say is it a compliment, I'm saying it just depends on who you what you're how you're looking at this.
Speaker 2: Is it a compliment to UH? Or is it?
Speaker 10: Would you rather have Philip rivers career or Peyton Manning's career? Beide Manning. So for Justin Herbert, he has to decide at some point it can't be everybody else's issue anymore. He's had three head coaches and four offensive coordinators. Every single coach he's had has been blamed for his lack of success in the playoffs. He throws four interceptions, not every single one of them were on him. I'm not gonna go so far as to say that he is not a good quarterback, because he is a good quarterback, but at some point, when it's not cutting time, he has to step up in the playoffs and it can't be well, it was this coach's fault or that coordinator didn't get it done. And now I'm hearing people talk about Greg Roman again and how Greg Roman is the issue. He didn't do this, he didn't do that. And I just looked at him and say.
Speaker 2: Herbert is not blaming The media is making excuses for Justin Herbert, and I agree that.
Speaker 10: I want to be very clear there, Justin Herbert took full accountability and responsibility after the game for how he played.
Speaker 2: This is not a Justin Herbert thing. It's more of a us thing. Right in the media. We're all in this together. We got to be.
Speaker 10: Able to hold him accountable to the same lengths that we hold Lamar Jackson, Dak Prescott or even Peyton Manning when he was early in his career didn't have a ton of playoff success. Herbert is now in that realm where he's gonna make a decision if is he gonna be Philip Rivers or is he going to be able to turn the corner and be a Peyton Manning type.
Speaker 2: But I think when you lumped him in with Dak Prescott and Lamar Jackson, and to me, they shouldn't be lumped in because Dak is the quarterback of the Cowboys, yes, always going to get more credit and more blame always. Lamar's a two time MVP and hasn't done anything in the postseason. Justin Herbert, I think is propped up by a portion of the media that wants him to be a great quarterback. He's not a great quarterback. Lamar's won two MVPs. He has got to perform in the postseason. That's what we expect at MVPs. And Dak you know you walk into that position and you know you're going to get criticized. And Dak has not really done much. And now he's thirty two coming off hamstring surgery and so he can't he's injury prone and immobile. And now whoever takes over the Cowboys inherits that that's not a good recipe there.
Speaker 10: Yeah, and you're talking about my tweet from a couple of days ago when the charge is lost. And the reason I I like and Dave you know Anita wedding date lumped them all in together is because, yes, I can understand the Lamar Jackson piece.
Speaker 2: Two.
Speaker 10: Yeah, you like that movie reference. It's a great movie. I don't know why people don't like it. It's a great movie. I understand the Lamar Jackson piece, the two time MVP. But now we're just creating these subcategories for what we're gonna criticize this guy, but not this guy. Lamar's success in the playoffs or lack thereof, or of how he's played. He still made it to an AFC Championship game, justin Herbert hasn't even sniffed that. So when you look at Dak Prescott and what he's been able to do, yeah, as the quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys, that's awesome. But I'm not gonna subdivide that and say I'm gonna give Dak more criticism just because he's a quarterback of the Cowboys. I'm gonna give Lamar more criticism despite the fact that he's done more than almost every quarterback in his draft class. When it comes to his success on the field, Justin Herbert has unbelievable stats. You probably know all of the NFL records that he's broken, from passing to passing, touchdowns to wins and everything in between. I do think he is a great quarterback. The question is is he a clutch.
Speaker 2: Quarterback when it matters? And right now he hasn't been.
Speaker 10: And for that, to me, it's you either give everybody grace and you say, hey, it took Steve Young seven eight years to figure it out, it took Manning eight nine years to figure it out, or you make sure you.
Speaker 2: Criticize them all at the same level.
Speaker 10: Because quarterbacks always get the most praise and they always get the most criticism, right, more praise than they deserve, more criticism than they deserve. We can't create these subcategories and say, all right, well, we're not gonna go after Justin Herbert just because he's not the quarterback of the Cowboys and he's not a two time MVP.
Speaker 2: But who's not going to after him?
Speaker 10: You think Justin Herbert gets the same amount of criticism that Lamar Jackson does or Dak Prescott or to a tongue of la Lamar's a two time MVP. What about to a tongue of Biloa. Let's take let's take Lamar out of it. Do you think do you think Juston Herbert gets the same criticism as to a tongue Baila.
Speaker 2: Tua gets a whole passed because of.
Speaker 10: His health toa does not get a whole passed that they had a goodness right he?
Speaker 2: Do you think that he's a great quarterback?
Speaker 10: I do, and I think he's the perfect quarterback for Mike McDaniel's offense.
Speaker 2: Why would Tyreek want out if you've got this great quarterback there?
Speaker 10: Well, Tyreek probably wants out because Tyreek wants to win Super Bowls and you.
Speaker 2: Can't do that with Tua. I think you can. But Tua was banged up this year and two is going to be banged up. We hold our breath. I think that we we hold our breath with him. I don't think people are critical of him. I don't really nowhere near no, nowhere near the other quarterback. No, we got a whole pass. He got a whole pass because of his health. What were his numbers this year? What did he do you this year. What did the Dolphins do this year?
Speaker 10: Well, he showed that he's the he's the MVP of the Dolphins because when he was out, they couldn't sniff a win. But then when he came back, he actually helped him get back into playoff contention and have a chance at the end of the season to make the actual playoffs.
Speaker 2: So so, if they said you're gonna have to a moving forward or Justin Herbert, who would I take? Yeah? I hate that question. Dan, Dammit, you set it up. I didn't set it up. You set it up. You're just trying to Dolphins.
Speaker 10: You did bring I did bring it to her I did if I had, if I had, if I had to pick, if I had to pick, I'm I'm I'm taking. I'm taking to a tongue a by law. I am I'm taking to over Justin Herbert. I don't you don't believe that? You don't believe that. I believe, not believe. Let's go around the room. Who believes that RG three is telling me the truth? Todd, do you think he's telling the truth?
Speaker 2: I think he is. Oh, go suck up appreciation. Oh my god, see you think RG three is telling me the truth. I do. I believe he's telling you the truth. Yes, Oh my god.
Speaker 10: Now the question Dan, the better question is would they take to over Justin because I don't think a lot of people would. I think I think from watching the tape and watching the two guys play, if health is not an issue, because health is an issue for both of them, let's be honest.
Speaker 2: Well, to take really an issue for two, it's really an issue for two.
Speaker 10: If you could guarantee me that Tua never gets another concussion, I'm taking too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I can't do that. That's part of what you take. Paulie, you want to call out RG three.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Robert was lying to you. His voice went up three octaves.
Speaker 2: I believe it. I believed, Okay, Yeah, yeah, Paulie used to work for the FBI giving light detector tests. Yeah, he's calling you out. Uh before I let you go. Whenever I read not whenever, but a lot of times I'll read about Jayden Daniels and then there'll be the cautionary tale where they bring up you that you know you had this meteoric rise, you were Jayden Daniels before him, But is it fair to bring you up as it cautionary tale. Yes, playing for the same franchise of getting hurt or putting yourself at risk with the way you play.
Speaker 10: No, I don't think it's fair at all. I don't think it's fair to Jayden. I don't think it's fair to the commander's organization. Because there's this thing that I said in the off season that I got much maligned for about the Chicago Bears and how their structure wasn't conducive to a young quarterback being successful, and the caveat to that, or should I say the example off of that, was how well Washington was built. New head coach, new GM, new ownership, new offensive coordinator that knew how to utilize a mobile, duel threat, triple threat quarterback like Jaden Daniels, and veteran leadership on the team, bringing in Bobby Wagner, having Austin Eckler in the running back room, Brian Robinson being a bulldozing ram.
Speaker 2: Having Scary Terry at wide receiver.
Speaker 10: All of those things made Washington's situation so much better. And when you look at my situation when I came out as a rookie, I was with an owner in Dan Snyder and a head coach and Mike Shanahan, who were feuding. I did not know that at the time. I was just a young twenty two year old kid. But there was not the uniformity throughout the organization that Washington has now. And that's why I always say organizations and NFL teams screw up more young quarterbacks than they actually helped succeed.
Speaker 2: But she got to hit it at.
Speaker 10: The right time, and right now Jayden Daniels and Washington hit it at the exact right time. They take care of him. They've removed the dark cloud from the organization. Everyone style though, Roberts, No, but that's what you feel.
Speaker 2: I'm with you.
Speaker 10: But the style, his style of play, and where you play and who you're playing with all matters. That's what I'm trying to say. Listen, I can't go back and have Hololy Nada not hit me in my knee against the Baltimore Ravens. I can't do that. There's no way for me to do that. I think you could have avoided him, couldn't you. I mean he couldn't. He could have not hit me and the way that he did. But that's a conversation for another time. Okay, And I could, and I and Dan I could have done a much better job in my career of protecting myself.
Speaker 2: I think that's very well documented.
Speaker 10: I think what you'll see from Jayden Daniels if you watch the tape is that he has done a much better job protecting himself, getting down, sliding, avoiding some of.
Speaker 2: Those big I wanted to make. I didn't think it was fair to keep bringing you into this because I do think he runs differently. He is protecting himself. Yeah, there were times when you took on contact, but I'm watching Jaydan Daniels not going well, when's he gonna be RG three? Because I think you guys, while having similar traits, you're different quarterbacks and it's a different era, it's a different organization. So that's the only reason why I brought that up.
Speaker 10: By no, no, I not not rup Sorry, show my bet. I'm saying that his style of play and how he's utilized matters. Okay, this is this is about Jaydon Daniels.
Speaker 2: This is not.
Speaker 10: About me, but all of those factors that went into why where I was playing and what was going on and.
Speaker 2: How I was utilized matter.
Speaker 10: Cliff Kingsbury is utilizing Jade and Daniels better than I was utilized when I was a young quarterback.
Speaker 2: And I think that matters and how they're doing it and the fields in better shape for Jaden Davis. That's a good one. That's a good one. That's a good one. He's RG three. Check out his podcast out of Pocket with a with RG three on YouTube wherever you get your podcast. Great to catch up with you. Thanks associate, your brother, Thank you man. All right, we'll take a break. We'll come back. Last call for phone calls. What we oh? We got some breaking college football slash NFL news.
Speaker 1: After the break, Sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern, six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio WAPP.
Speaker 2: Last golf for phone calls. What we learned this day in sports history? All to that forthcoming seaton. You want to wrap up the pole question results from the entire program if you can, Yeah, yeah, we can do that with sure.
Speaker 4: Candidate Dion Sanders is a candidate for the Cowboys head coaching job or maneuvering a big contract extension from Colorado. It's an A or B pole question right now, most people believe he's just trying to get a contract extension from Colorado. Okay, we also have which fan base would suffer more if they lost the Super Bowl, Buffalo Bills overwhelmingly winning that one.
Speaker 2: I agree with that.
Speaker 4: And Tom Brady, being an NFL broadcaster and owner sixty seven percent, has that as a conflict of interest and I agree with that as well.
Speaker 2: Alrighty, that's the pole question results. Thank you for participating. We'll get to phone calls coming up. Let me see. Oh, here's the news, Quinn Ewers is it is going pro. He is making it official now. Prior to the Bowl game against Ohio State, he sat down with Pete Thamill and said that he was going to declare for the NFL Draft. I don't think this is breaking news because it was news. It was breaking news before this reiterates the breaking news that he's decided. There was talk that he was going to maybe transfer, but he told Pete Tamil prior to the game against Ohio State that he was going to go to the NFL, which was surprising. I was told that his price tag was maybe a little too rich for Notre Dame, that they were talking about a six million dollar a year in ILFI for him to go in and take over for Riley Leonard. But I was told by a source that Notre Dame viewed that as too rich. Whether it got to that point, that's what I was told. But he'll go in. I don't know if he's the first round draft pick. You don't have a lot of quarterbacks, so that does benefit him. I don't know if he's the third best quarterback going into this draft. I don't know if he's the second third round pick. But Quinn Hewers, who is always going to be a trivial pursuit answer. He's the first nil guy. When you go back to when he left high school early to go to Ohio State, he got paid there. He's the first nil er.
Speaker 6: Yes, PAULI, I wonder, and I'm not being facetious, if he's going to take a pay cut to play in the NFL. Let's say hypothetically he could have gotten four million dollars from a school this next year. If he's the number one pick of the second round, over the course of four years, he'll make ten million dollars and average a two point five a season.
Speaker 2: If he's good enough to get into that first contract to get into the second contract. You know, that's why a lot of these players in college were one and done, not because they were ready for the NBA. They wanted to get into that second contract. And we're seeing what those numbers are. I mean, they're astronomical. You know, when you're going to be paid thirty forty million dollars, you want to get in as soon as you can. But quin Yours, I don't know if he is a franchise quarterback, doesn't feel that way. But and then I think Carson Beck Alabama thought that he might be willing to transfer there he you know, since going to Miami. His girlfriend is on the basketball team, and so I think that that factored in. Also, I think they're paying him four million dollars to leave Georgia. That's pretty good. Gay, I'm going to go to Miami, my girlfriend's on the basketball team, and they're gonna pay me four million dollars. Chances are I probably already graduated. So what do I do? Not much? Okay, this day in sports history, Paulie.
Speaker 6: Let's see, I just give you one, oh babe. Ruth signed a one year deal in nineteen thirty four for blank million dollars for blank thousand dollars nineteen thirty four, his last Yankee.
Speaker 2: K one hundred oh one hundred thousand dollars thirty five grand. It was his last all his last one. Okay, that's it. Let me see anything that I need to bring up. That the Packers beat the Chiefs in the first Super Bowl in this day nineteen sixty seven. Remember being in the living room and had my family there. It was a big deal, big deal. I think it was on two different networks, CBS and NBC. Todd what'd you learn today?
Speaker 3: RG?
Speaker 5: Three?
Speaker 2: We took two going forward over justin Herbert Seaton. What'd you learn? RG three? Good conversationalist? Yes he is, Marvin. You won't eat baloney still. Paul jim Nance is on the five oh one. Have a great day.