Speaker 1: Yeah, it would do a lot for you because they're looking they're looking strong.
Speaker 2: You don't come back on here disrespecting my team again. I feel like every week there's some kind of caveat to why can't we just be great?
Speaker 1: Nah, there's no caveat, But they just look fucking They look strong. But you guys look strong too. You know it'll be a hell of a series.
Speaker 2: I don't believe you're not seeing it with your eyes.
Speaker 3: Laker's got a nigga name Lannie. I think it's over for the Nuggets, but I don't know, bro Lani coming off the bench and you know that nigga.
Speaker 1: Man, y'all don't fucked up, you know, Lannie out the cave.
Speaker 3: Nigga come off the bench like take a black and mile from behind my ear, like, yo, hold this.
Speaker 1: They pulled out a lot of Loni yugi O card and just slam that ship.
Speaker 2: Quality are racists.
Speaker 1: The laws, the money turn stuff.
Speaker 2: I can't tell me hey, hey, no, no, come back with it. I'm not doing that. I'm not saying that President. I don't like you know.
Speaker 1: Look, we are documentarians, my friend. It's not our responsibility to choose right and wrong. We simply are witnesses to what's happening out in this world. And then you you you have no right, sir, you have no right giving some of the monsters you've referenced as we've.
Speaker 2: Tried to clean you keep doing all that. I don't no, I'm sorry, continued super Welcome to a phenomenal episode of My Mama Told Me the podcast when we dive deep into the pockets of black conspiracies.
Speaker 1: And we finally work to prove that if the writers are in fact going to get justice in this strike, they are going to need to employ the black Israelites. They're going to have to get them same people who stood out for Kyrie and fixed his job somehow in line with this, They're gonna need those bigots by their side if they're ever gonna get justice.
Speaker 2: I'm like stink Kerman and I'm your man from a congo as referenced by those goddamn Hebrew Israelites. They refuse to acknowledge my racial makeup and I.
Speaker 1: Don't love it, are going to get you those writing jobs back. You gotta make things.
Speaker 4: What's the logic behind this? What's the logic behind listen?
Speaker 1: Brother makes to me, I just.
Speaker 3: Wanted to make sure logic matches up, because, as far as I'm concerned, every black issue light is a member of Job Corps and cannot read so.
Speaker 1: Writing, Well, here's what their job for them.
Speaker 2: YO, shout out to job Corps employing every dude who was kind of good at basketball you needed somewhere to go when the ball State scholarship went through, was there.
Speaker 1: For him when that d three walk on experience didn't turn into something.
Speaker 3: When the job Corps, when the community college gym workouts didn't work out.
Speaker 1: Turns out the coach didn't want me that bad.
Speaker 2: That's what I said.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I believe that what's missing in the strike, and I've been out there a few times, marching and whatnot, But I believe that what's failing is a sick passion that can only be found by the Hebrew Israelites. They're They're the type of people that that will knock a nigga out for disagreeing with them on on basic things. And I think that's the kind of bite we need in this fight.
Speaker 2: You get that to get to go against the streamers, I think definitely you need a hit her I get. I think that's good.
Speaker 1: They'll punch a car window and then it's like, all right, now we got to negotiate. Now we gotta take this to the table.
Speaker 4: Story structure, that's what you need. See enough both.
Speaker 1: I love that you're trying to get them in the room. I just thought we were employing them as like a mob. But you're like, naw, if they're gonna march, then they got it right on on the next big program.
Speaker 4: That's yeah.
Speaker 3: They have to be eligible for streams too, Black israel Life, and he's streaming residuals.
Speaker 4: Too, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: That's fair. We are almost five minutes into the podcast and we haven't introduced our guests, despite this turning into something far far more silly than I think we've ever taken it. So good for us Fellas. He's he's phenomenal. He've already heard his voice, You've already heard his opinions on the writers and the Black Israelites. He is a he's a hilarious comedian. He's been a writer for Atlanta. He's been a writer for Marvelous Missus masl he is currently a writer for Abbod Elementary. He's a dear friend. Give it up for Jordan Temple why fuck? Yeah, what was that?
Speaker 2: Ah, it's just a little bit of.
Speaker 1: Yeah, man, man press buttons. You don't you don't have to explain himself afterwards.
Speaker 2: I think it's from some kind of a Hollywood movie.
Speaker 1: No remember it, say YouTube where that man is like making meats.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Don't know what his purpose in life is, but but I know he's an officionado of his own meats.
Speaker 2: Love it, love it, Love it.
Speaker 1: Jordan, you came to us with a conspiracy that I will say. It's it's it's a heavy one. We're getting into some heavy ship, I think with this one. But I'm excited to go there with you. You said, my mama told me Black people don't get depressed.
Speaker 4: Talk about it.
Speaker 1: Tell us more. Yeah, you introduced it.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, you know, we.
Speaker 3: Be jolly, we be happy, I guess, or we be grumpy, and but we don't be depressed. So you know, so I feel like, you know, that's definitely like the church. That's definitely rap, even though rap is even though like niggas would sound depressed that they deny it, or there's like a memo or I'm angry but I'm not sad, And people get confused to like even what depression is because it's deeper than rap, It's deeper than sadness. Depression by definition is internalized anger. You know that you basically cannot don't feel like you can express. It doesn't have an outlet, so then it kind of goes into the interior, you know what I mean. And it's chronic. It's a disease, you know, sola you're feeling.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And so to be clear when you when you say black people don't get depressed, this is something you believe or this is something you are like, No, this is a conspiracy theory. I you know, I hear and disagree with it is.
Speaker 4: A conspiracy theory, I hear.
Speaker 3: I think more black people are believing in it less, but overall it's the one that is pretty prevalent.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, oh, one hundred percent. I'm always initially on the side of black black exclusion from ailments, like in general, Like there was like three weeks where I thought we weren't gonna get COVID like in the beginning, and I do that.
Speaker 1: With like mm hmm yeah when they were saying it, I thought that's silly. But then there was that period where like we for real weren't getting it, or at least statistically it wasn't showing up. And I believed in that in a way that I probably shouldn't have. I was like, well, any kind of maybe this is maybe this is just white people like getting justice against the type shit.
Speaker 2: You always hope that Mother Nature is gonna strike back against white people, I think, is what you're saying.
Speaker 1: Yeah, The Happening is a terrible film, but but I kind.
Speaker 2: Of there's gonna be a kind of flood that.
Speaker 4: I mean, you hope that.
Speaker 3: But then there's also still plenty of black people that like black people also don't like It's just like, okay, black people don't get COVID the cool for us, but like even justice smallt like even don Lemon, like I don't really like them, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know what I'm saying, You ain't rooting for all black people to not get COVID.
Speaker 3: I'm not saying those are particularly the ones that I'm just saying black people in general, the ones that people don't like as much. They're like, if they asked that, they probably make some exceptions, you know.
Speaker 2: Damn Yeah, I think that's fair.
Speaker 4: A roof for everybody.
Speaker 1: Black, No you're not. We be rooting for each other and then not rooting for each other. It's a complicated dance over here, but but we're doing it.
Speaker 4: Everybody black not to get coked.
Speaker 2: I'll think that.
Speaker 1: I'll think so with with you acknowledging or feeling that this is certainly something that like you hear all the time, how do you feel like black people are meant to battle against this? How do we how do we face off against this misconception that we don't get depression because it is very cool to say, ah, nigga, I don't get depressed. I'm black like that, you know what I mean? That objectively is a cool lie. How do you get people to get to buy into their reality.
Speaker 3: I think black people just transmute it in their deniability, you know, plausible deniability. The more I think, you know, you're trying to run from ships like the salon so.
Speaker 4: To smoking it away, sexy it away, I think black people.
Speaker 1: Just away, don't rush through this, give us what you have.
Speaker 3: I think we just transmuted into cooler ship. I think I think the more that ship was just like.
Speaker 1: You know, you know why you stopped where you stopped because it was about to hit another high note that you couldn't handle. And I love that about you. Anyway, I understand.
Speaker 4: Nah's transmutation.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it's a lot of transmutation. I think Black people when they denied the depressed or you know, given to feeling sad for Fielm, feeling sad, that just make cooler.
Speaker 2: Ship.
Speaker 3: We just like make music, you know what I mean, We just either we transmute it. And I don't even think transmitting is like denial. But I do think when Black people are working through depression, they transmitted and make real cool shit, like you know right.
Speaker 2: I think it can be a highly productive. I know for me personally, once I learned about mental health in a real way and kind of started having the tools to assess how I'm feeling and stuff like that, that made everything harder. Like it was cooler when I could just like, nah, man, I just gonna smoke some weed, watch this game, and I'd be all right, you know what I mean. But then that to have to be like, damn, I'm like depressed, I gotta figure this out. That's like that throws, that's that's that's a much harder work to do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Frederick Douglas said, the worst thing his slave met, one of his slave masters ever did to him was teach him to read, because then he had the words to understand his like captivity. It's like, yeah, it's that where it's like, now I know that these are symptoms of a bad thing, and I need to figure out how to resolve them, whereas before it's just like it's a down dayglass.
Speaker 4: He's taking Frederick Douglas tricky dick. This niggas a tricky dick.
Speaker 2: Because then he learned also beat that nigga's ass, bro, but he also learned how to read that left his wife or a white woman.
Speaker 4: So this nigga is tricky. You know what I'm saying. I don't trust this nigga. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: He read about nicer white women and he was like, oh, I don't like this. Can how about that I.
Speaker 2: Just read. I just read I just read a great expectations. You know what these women are doing.
Speaker 1: He's like, dog, they're giving out money. They're literally giving out money, this lady, and I gotta work hard forever.
Speaker 4: I'm a boycot.
Speaker 1: I'm not saying it's right. I'm not defending Frederick Douglass in this situation. But I see where his logic went, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: I think that's the first step down a slippery slope.
Speaker 3: My man Boycott Langston's weekend at Doctor Grins.
Speaker 4: Freda was off his rocker.
Speaker 1: I love my white wife. Let me be clear. There was a period for maybe y'all remember this, where that there was a video TikTok video circulating of all the men events here and in our supposed white wives that like somebody had assembled a bunch of pictures, and truly, only one person in the lineup even had a white wife. The rest of them were all just like light skinned or Latina's or just you know, a weird lighting in the room.
Speaker 2: Weird light.
Speaker 1: No, truly, it was like some of them are like pretty like fair or darker skinned people, and they're like, yeah, that's a white lady. But point being, I love my white wife, you know. And I was in that video and they called my wife my wife white, and it still bugs me a little bit.
Speaker 2: I could tell what was the music on behind the video.
Speaker 5: Something meaning you know, it was something truly like gut wrenching and evil, something that that that cuts me to my core.
Speaker 1: But I don't even remember the song. It just triggers me when I hear it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you don't have to say you remember it. I wouldn't either.
Speaker 4: Look at this, Look at this nigga hanging out with the manager exactly called the manager.
Speaker 2: It's very interesting because I think a lot of it's familial in the sense that, like I saw it was crazy because my mom's not like big on black people having mental issues health issues, and my mother was a social worker for years, Like we had the DSM in our house, and my mom's still not on some like go I think, and I depressed it, Like I wonder what it is that builds up that resistance specifically to like these mental problems, Like where does that come from? Like where your families like that? We're both your families like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would say my mom certainly is not. She I don't think she was like at all ignorant on the subject. But she wasn't promoting any like reflection beyond just like act different or or you know, look at the world differently. Like I think my sisters, if we were being honest, probably were suffering through versions of like depression. And I don't think anybody was at all had the instinct to be like, we should go seek help inside of this.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, how big is your family?
Speaker 1: Mine is? I'm I'm the oldest of five God damn yeah. And but my shit's real separated because both my parents have been married a fuck ton of times, so like none of us have had like a consistent like only two of my sisters have the same set of parents, and then the rest is like a mixing and matching situation, right, Hell yeah, I just.
Speaker 2: Wanted to and at least in the black side of your family, is there, like, is there any history of like mental health, Like, is anyone in therapy or anything like that?
Speaker 1: No? No, No, My my grandmother literally stabbed my grandfather in the back with a knife and they just kept on like keeping you know what I mean, Like she pretended to need a hug and then stabbed him in the back like an assassin.
Speaker 4: Assassin.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know them hug assassins that be going around doing stuff.
Speaker 2: Are you Are you in therapy? Linson?
Speaker 1: No, I've only gone to therapy once as it was more a family therapy thing when I had to go as a kid, and I've never gone back as an adult or sought help in any form or way.
Speaker 2: Because I'll be in there. Man, it's not great, but I'm in there. I think I'm the first person in my family to regularly go to therapy easily.
Speaker 1: Wow, Jordan, you go to therapy.
Speaker 4: I actually got David into therapy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Jordan put me on speak Yeah yeah yeah yeah. And what a process it's been.
Speaker 1: I probably need it. I let me be clear, I don't. I'm not bragging as.
Speaker 3: Much as I all Right, you got a perfect family, got nice white wife, all right.
Speaker 1: All right, shout shout out Freddy Dougs.
Speaker 3: Like white wife, perfect family, we get it. All right, You're perfect, all right, shout.
Speaker 1: Out my man, dirty money, Freddy.
Speaker 2: Wait, this is this is interesting to me. What would it take, because like we're coming from this, what would it take to get you into therapy?
Speaker 6: Just out of curiosity, I think that that what would probably get me into therapy is needing it more in my marriage than needing it personally.
Speaker 1: I think that there is probably a level of immediate necessity that hasn't yet happened that would make me feel like, oh, this is something I gotta resolve right now, where I'm gonna make shit weird for me or others or whatever it is. And that's probably not the right approach for therapy, but that is the one that my brain sort of lives in. And if my marriage started to feel like, oh shit, if we don't do something, this ain't gonna work, then I'd probably take it to that route.
Speaker 2: But you don't think personally, because let's crack it open, and this is like a men's group anyways. Now, why, yeah, do you feel like you never were led towards that point because of an aversion to therapy primarily because of being black? Like do you feel like, do you feel like the reason you never ended up there or you think you just got like saved by your white life.
Speaker 1: I think I've lived with the aversion. I don't know that it would be fair to point it only or exclusively on my black family, right, Like, at its core, I have both a black family that sort of is, you know, just traditionally black in that sense, but then there's also like a repressed Jewish side of people that are avoiding sort of like that type of reflection or openness or whatever it is. That also wasn't telling me like, hey, you should go to therapy when we went, it was because things have become explosive enough in the house where it was like, Okay, emergency, motherfucker, let's fix this.
Speaker 2: Interesting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I'm gonna let I'm gonna wait till you know the fucking pipes are leaking through my walls.
Speaker 2: And wait till you what did you step?
Speaker 1: I hear this stuff works.
Speaker 3: Striketh is gonna go on long enough, we're gonna see people we never thought would start smoking crack.
Speaker 4: It starts to smoke crack. So I think once.
Speaker 7: Lengthy started smoking crack, once Lengths to start smoking crack, I think he'll be in therapy. And actually, I think this is perfect because I'm starting to sell crack.
Speaker 1: So you see, well, first of all, if our peers start doing crack, that's gonna give me and my wife so much more to talk about. And I don't know if that's gonna slow me down much.
Speaker 2: But if you're right, if I.
Speaker 1: Do eventually start smoking crack, I will I promise you both that I will go to therapy.
Speaker 2: I will.
Speaker 1: I will do crack and therapy, hopefully not simultaneously, but more than likely they will be.
Speaker 4: You can do crack therapy. Sometimes crack can be therapy, you.
Speaker 1: Know, don't you got a great sales pitch.
Speaker 2: Yo, I don't listen. I don't this is this is like the street level Pfizer right now, it's not it's not.
Speaker 1: Come on, bro, come on, you know what they do over there, right, Come.
Speaker 4: On, baby, you don't need those teeth.
Speaker 1: Come on, man, Pfizer is a trust stick brand. You gotta think. All right, we're gonna take a break. We'll be back with more Jordan Temple and more. My mama told me.
Speaker 3: I.
Speaker 1: Feel good, and you seem good and make love good.
Speaker 2: Welcome, welcome back to my mama told me. We are discussing whether or not black people get I think we've all decided black people get depression. I think we're discovered. We're discussing the stigmatism against it in the black community. With Jordan Temple, Liston has deflected all attempts to get him into therapy and said that the only way it's happened is if he smokes some crack, which is a step.
Speaker 1: I think Jordan said that was the only way it's happening, and I didn't fight it. I think that it's one of the ways that will get me into therapy. It's smoking crack. All right, Jordan, I did some research on your conspiracy theory that we would love to unpack with you. Obviously, if any of this feels false to you, you should say so, because I don't know much. But the National Study of American Life shows that while more white people are documented as having depression, seventeen point nine percent versus ten point four percent in American black people, and then twelve point nine in Caribbean black people. So Caribbean black people went in by almost three percent against black people in America for depression. They didn't mention African Sorry about that, David, you have to bring that up.
Speaker 4: So Caribbean black people, it says, are reported being more depressed, more depressed. That's so funny.
Speaker 1: Shout out Haiti.
Speaker 4: I mean, I'm not.
Speaker 3: Like culturally Haitian like at all, but it's still I guess my father, my father from Haiti, and you know, I grew up around my grand to see my grandmother, my paternal grandmother.
Speaker 4: She didn't speak any English. So I was like, I guess that's pretty Haitian.
Speaker 3: I don't fucking know, like, so I guess I'm a little bit I don't know a little yah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think I think, Uh, I think the numbers didn't. It surprised me, But then it didn't surprise me. I think with that weird difference between us. But uh, it also says that while we get have more of it the or rather, while white people there are more of them that have it, our depression in black people across the board is statistically longer in span. Do you know what I mean? So like, yeah, they get depressed, but their depression often is not persisting throughout their entire life, whereas for black people it often is, or at least for longer periods of our lives.
Speaker 4: That makes something that makes a lot of sense.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean that sounds reasonable. We died first, I get it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they said the persistence for white people is around fifty six point five percent, and then oh no, the persistence for black people rather is fifty six point five percent, whereas for white people it's thirty eight point six damn. So we're way longer for persisting and throughout your whole life kind of thing.
Speaker 4: That's one thing. Black people are persistent.
Speaker 1: Give this man a beat, if ever there was a time to give the man a beat, I mean, get him freestyle for a second.
Speaker 3: I said I said, you know, there's the thing freestyle therapy. Deep deep in the anals of quarantine. A nigga was waking up every morning and freestyle wrapping for fifteen.
Speaker 1: Minutes damn straight like you no breaks in.
Speaker 4: There, no breaks, not I didn't drink water. Huh.
Speaker 2: No beats not like no beats just like fuck.
Speaker 4: No beats beats beat.
Speaker 1: Wait, So, so do you feel like, all right now that you you've been a freestyle for Officionado, let's say, because we don't know what kind of quality work you're putting out there, but fifteen minutes straight, do you feel ready for like the five Fingers of death? Shit on sway? Like the like, are you could?
Speaker 5: You?
Speaker 1: Could you live by your freestyl and die by your freestyling? Or is it nod?
Speaker 3: You know what would make the five It's easy for me to do the five Fingers of death. You know why because I got six fingers. Do you understand when I freestyle?
Speaker 2: No? I don't.
Speaker 1: I don't get it at all. Ready scared me.
Speaker 2: It was like some cool New York talk.
Speaker 1: I didn't pictured it in my head. I was like, I still don't know what that means, but yeah, go ahead when you said it.
Speaker 4: Come on, come on, baby, come on, you and Jordie's world. It ain't gonna make sense.
Speaker 2: Baby. You know what I'm saying. Well, okay, I think we got I gotta beat you.
Speaker 1: Come on, bro, I need to give my man, give my man his his taste.
Speaker 4: I need these freestyles like water baby.
Speaker 1: Come on, baby, there it is.
Speaker 4: Yo. Turn my headphones up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, off the top of the dome.
Speaker 4: We talked about depression and I'm home.
Speaker 3: Almost forgot about the freestyle to day, but I didn't. I was laying down in that thing, and I was jerking off and I was rapping. I was jerking off, and I said, what time is it almost time for.
Speaker 4: My mama told me.
Speaker 2: The fucking bogs nigga know nothing about that.
Speaker 1: Yep, nah, yep, I mean I feel better six fingers.
Speaker 2: Imagine imagine, imagine thirteen and a half, four minutes of that.
Speaker 1: We know you didn't get enough. My man could have kept fucking.
Speaker 2: Jerking off in the first ninety seconds. That's what the last six minutes would have done.
Speaker 1: It was gonna get grotesque.
Speaker 4: Blowing my blowing my load in the first twenty seconds.
Speaker 3: Bro, I I was I was like nine years old when I first went to therapy.
Speaker 1: Like oh super young, I was forced to go was this oh so this was this was someone else in your life being like, yo, you need help. My mom forced me to go whoa And was your mom in like, uh, this is dire type ship or was she just seeing something in you and was like, hey, I think this would be helpful moving forward kind of thing.
Speaker 3: I guess I had like anger problems. I might have been younger than that. I had like real I was just like really wiling. Kids would like fuck with me and I'd be wiling, and then yeah, I just was. My mom was just like I can't let me go somewhere for an hour or talks.
Speaker 4: You can't places with blocks or some ship. I can't.
Speaker 3: I can't take this, nigga. That's when I started.
Speaker 1: Bopping these kids on the head.
Speaker 4: Yeah it off.
Speaker 3: That's when I started freestyle, and yeah, I think I mean kids get depressed too. I think the problem with black kids is people they don't think so much about like their inner world as much like I think. I think there's a lot of people that don't even see like I'm gonna say something controversial, but I think people quote this a lot, like the most disrespected person in the world is the black woman, the Malcolm X quote, which is true, but I also feel like at the same time, it's also acknowledgement that like black children aren't people, you know what I mean, because it's like they are being raised by women and they have like no right, you know what I mean, Like children are the most vulnerable group on the planet, but Malcolm X will never raise his own awareness to speak for the rights of children, to think that they're a person, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: Not saying he's right or wrong.
Speaker 3: But I just think it's interesting because there's a there's probably a mother or a father or somebody went home and beat that kid, and it's just like is it you know what I mean, Like yeah, no, Like at no point have people culturally shifted the the attention on each group, Like it's it's always feels like a gender was never like the rights of children or not that it's never, but like black children are like completely forgot about.
Speaker 1: I wonder if part of that is is that the intention at least of political leaders of sort of like our you know, our heroes as they were champions. I guess there's maybe a better word, But if part of what their purpose is is to make the world better for the existing children and subsequent when we don't think to mention them because they're like, well, I'm talking to the adults to fix y'all more than i'm speaking to this generation that's still in theory has a chance to just live out of harm's way, if that makes sense.
Speaker 2: I think that's a difficult idea though, because then who are you assuming that's doing the work, this generation of broken people that you're speaking to us, right?
Speaker 1: Yeah, And maybe that's the shortscidedness of politics, right It is, like, at the end of the day, it's old people yelling at old people to be different, and motherfuckers don't do that. Whereas, like, if politics were truly aimed at the people who things were affecting currently, we wouldn't have an eighteen year old voting, you know what I mean? Like, I think politics should be for children. I think we should be like trying to legitimately talk to kids and be like, hey, what do you think is fucked up? How do we make the world what you're going to avenge grow up to live inside of?
Speaker 2: I think that I agree with that. Do you think that's a politicians.
Speaker 4: Joe Biden and Kamala need to listen.
Speaker 1: I keep asking Joe Biden to come on the podcast, and he keep telling me about Popcorn as they call my boy Popcorn, my man pop corn Pop. He had a black friend named corn Pop and uh yeah, he keeps telling me to call him.
Speaker 2: I I definitely like the idea of talking about the idea of a black children as far as like it does seem like we learn I don't know you ever just talked to white white children and they were aware of their personhood a lot like like the the culture is different for them as a kid. Like when I was a kid, it was very much like nothing you think matters. I pay for this house, this is my ship, and then you gotta go and figure it out for yourself. But there isn't a lot of like care for that idea of like young personhood, which probably does lead more to depression and things like that, or like just not paying attention to it.
Speaker 4: It's more important, it's who you. It shapes who you are for life. So that's why I feel like not like what he said was wrong, but that it was misguided because like you're also speaking to when you speak to adults, you forget that you're speaking to someone who was once a child, who is an adult, who's dealing with things they weren't able to or had to repress as children, and now they're holding onto that. And that's why I think that is more, if not more, if not more important, to address the child in people and to address the children that are existing, so that adults can deal with the fucking problems they had and be able to like get a hold of that that child that was lost or hurt so that they don't repeat that and then just inflict that same damage on living existing children or like I said that, or repeat the same kind of or repress the emotions that they had from childhood. That's the whole point of therapy.
Speaker 3: Like you are who you are as an adult because of these childhood memories that are repressed, because you weren't able to have your own agency, because you weren't able to express emotion. It is repressed, and you are depressed maybe as an adult because of those emotions and that anger you weren't able.
Speaker 4: To express as a child.
Speaker 3: You know, That's why not only I think it is important, but that's why a lot of black people have a hard time accepting that they are depressed as adults because as children they were so damaged and forgotten about and thrown to the wayside. That's you know what I mean. Ye Black children are the most discarded people. And you see people grow up, you know, these black boys and girls who are like dealing with it, and it's like, you know, we're talking about circumstance. We're not talking about the problems. Maybe we happened each other, like there are problems out of the world, different things. But it's also like getting in touch with and healing that that child a little bit.
Speaker 4: He to therapize this whole podcast.
Speaker 1: But hey, no, I mean, you know, we accept all all versions of the podcast, even even the ones that make us go, you're right, brother, are right now.
Speaker 4: It's whatever.
Speaker 2: It's a writer strike man.
Speaker 4: We all gonna be selling crack.
Speaker 1: Or smoking it or smoking it. But one of the things to the larger point of people going untreated or certainly not making the efforts to to solve their problems, it says I read an article that said that fifty seven percent of people with MDD major depression disorder, actually get treatment. So only fifty percent, fifty seven percent of people suffering through depression, specifically major depression disorder are actually going to get the treatment. And then additionally, one of the things that they say is the cause of that is that eighty five percent of black people, and they're not saying this is solely the cause, but eighty five percent of black people identify as religious in some form, somewhere between somewhat religious to very religious and turning more towards church and the traditions of church instead of therapy as this other source.
Speaker 2: That's a difficult thing because we don't know what percent of people of the church works for, right, Like, let's say that's the number. What you say, it's like forty three percent.
Speaker 1: Eighty five that identify religions.
Speaker 2: So at that point of that eighty five who identify religious versus the percentage of people who have MDD who do not end up getting help, what percentage of them that turned to the church are healed. Because it does work for a lot of people. It's not it's not like it's not my ticket, but that God shit, it gets some people. You don't know anybody who was like a terrorist and then they found God and you're like, man, you used to put people in lockers and now you just run the youth group.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're a decent you're a decent main now in a way that you weren't supposed to be.
Speaker 2: I'd because I don't think that eighty five percent religious thing is necessary. I think it's necessarily all that terrible, Like, I don't I don't view that as like a bad thing.
Speaker 1: That's well, I think it is fair to acknowledge that. The article also says that, like therapy, church can be therapeutic for a lot of people. So they're not just disgracing the eighty five percent who identify as religious. They're merely saying that that level of religious sort of like across the board doesn't exist in other racial groups.
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, yeah, different different things are therapy too. I think that's the thing too. Like culturally we've gotten into the one on one or black people or people need to go to depression or need to go to therapy or whatever. But like different things are therapy. You don't have to engage one on one. There's like art therapy, there's religiosity's therapy. There's you know, exercises therapy, there's all kinds of things that's that that can be therapeutic.
Speaker 1: So I watch anime and I'm I'm healed. So I don't know, maybe maybe I've already been going to therapy.
Speaker 4: Intenable word doesn't count.
Speaker 1: Man, they agree to disagree. The autists are exceptional. They're Japanese and they are exceptional.
Speaker 3: I was I'm confused by like, I mean, maybe I'm just not out there in the church world. But do y'all ever meet new church people, like young church people, like in their thirties, like in like, I don't. I don't know a lot of church niggas that are young.
Speaker 2: The people that I know who have converted did it younger than thirty. It was like there was probably a time from like twenty two to twenty six where I know a good number of people who flipped it, you know what I mean. A lot of it's like getting out, you know, of either the military or jail, but.
Speaker 1: Like it's truly like every dude I know that like went off to college and like wild out for a while and like now found a girl that he's like, yeah, this is my this is my baby boo. And I'm fat now and I've lost I lost my hair, So yeah, I'm settled and I'll go to church.
Speaker 2: You don't put this fat people.
Speaker 1: I'm just saying the transition, this individual this is about too.
Speaker 3: We all know you, wavy baby.
Speaker 2: I appreciate you, guys. I appreciate you guys. But no, it does seem that the transition happens younger than like, yeah, I don't know anyone in their mid thirties who are like, damn, now it's time for God. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think that maybe mid forties that that happens. Though after that, first of us, I think you find God. God's always to fix the thing, you know what I mean, Like it's it's it's either been introduced at a young age and therefore you believe it, or when you come back to it, it's to fix something. It's not just like for a fucking study program, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: That was trick.
Speaker 3: Both that and therapy is tricky to me because I hate the idea that people need to feel like they have to be fixed or people are trying to fix them, or that they have to change, because you don't have to change at all. Like there's always this idea, like I think that's prevalent in culture, that something is wrong with people you know, everyone is like trying to get a new and improve or do this and that or do things that are super complicated and not kind of keep things simple, and it makes people feel worse, like the more you try to fix or the more that therapy is like, oh you need this and that. Like I probably would have never done therapy if I wasn't forced to do it, you know what I mean, Like I still believe in it if people are up to it. But I think it's also an idea, like there's this fixing culture that there's something wrong with people and it's like yo, like do what you're gonna do, like it's your life, like no one is trying to change you. I think that's what fucks people up more than the thing like of the idea of therapy to begin with, Like you know, or you're.
Speaker 1: Saying, you're saying there's something there's something short sighted and looking at this in terms of fixing and more as just a chance to be a better person than you are currently a better version of yourself. Yeah, you currently are.
Speaker 4: If you want to.
Speaker 3: But I also think there's like so many different ways to work through depression, Like whatever works for you or doesn't work if you may not even realize it. You have to have the self awareness for it. But it's not up to other people. Like I would never say like I would be, I would you know, motivate people to do it if they would want to do it, or like would be, But I never would be like a postal child for like everybody should go to therapy. I think that's misguided because it feels like you have to fix. It's a fixing thing, and it's like people do what works for them and they just figure it out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we need we need to heal people, and we also need devils. That's what keeps the whole thing balanced.
Speaker 4: So you know, we don't need devil.
Speaker 2: Come on, baby wants to be a devil. That's the big I see his bigger kitchen for that voice box.
Speaker 1: Right now, Come on, baby.
Speaker 2: Box. You see I've.
Speaker 3: Seen them stab you in your butt videos on Instagram. I was like, I was like, man, I hope Nikki walks in on this nigga doing this. I saw his eyes move up and I was like, I was like, I hope his daughter sees him right now.
Speaker 1: You know what that was? The delivery man was coming, and I was like, oh, ship is he gonna hear me through the door saying I'm gonna stab someone in the aus and then have to like leave my my sugar fish outside.
Speaker 2: You said it about a lot of groups of people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, man, I'm gonna stab all y'all. Please come to the show in the in the Yeah, I'm gonna give you something to think about. You, I'm gonna give you something to think about.
Speaker 3: But stabbing is so egregious because everybody needs to sit.
Speaker 1: And that is the title of Jordan's new upcoming uh novel, Everybody needs to Sit. It's a y a novel. It's sort of an expansion of the everybody poop verse.
Speaker 4: It's an a novel.
Speaker 1: That's all right, we're gonna take one more break. We're gonna be back with more Jordan Temple when more my mama tell me.
Speaker 2: Something's going on, conspiracy theory. Welcome back to my mom and told me. We are deep in the throes of a conversation about mental health, how to do it, what to do with it, And maybe you don't need therapy. Maybe you hoop three times a week because ball is life and that's what gets you through it. When I hear judge.
Speaker 1: You we're open to all possibilities over here. And one of the things that they say is the cause of the persistence for black depression is because of inadequate to white people. Yes, and it's a little bit of a you're not wrong, no, I know, but it's a little bit more of a long haul here is they say that it is in part because of inadequate research as it relates to this larger issue in the black community, that depression on its own is hard to detect, in part because there are more than fifteen hundred possible combinations of symptoms that, in theory, a person can have, which means that your depression may not look like my depression. Even though we spend a ton of time together and are you know, sometimes living in the same household, that we can still have very different versions of depression. And white science has not yet learned how to detect those feelings inside of black people.
Speaker 2: I ain't that shit so much because they can pull up every goddamn crime statistic, we've ever had, food deserts, all this nonsense, but you can't figure out how we're feeling. There's been no studies on that this whole fucking time.
Speaker 1: And I just didn't think about it. They're like, nah, he's yelling in the street because of his personality.
Speaker 2: They got a lot of crime.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they don't give a fuck.
Speaker 3: He really likes eating that jumbo honeybuton because he loves himself.
Speaker 1: That's just a centered twenty five year old man.
Speaker 2: Number one, number one consumers of all flaming hot dust and that's all cigarettes. We don't know how they feel about it.
Speaker 1: I know they like spicy. Yeah, I know they like ment. That's that's about it.
Speaker 3: I've never seen somebody. I've never seen somebody look actually happy to like eat a chop cheese, you know what I'm saying. Like, I think, I think chop. I think certain foods I see like black people eat not to like food. Shame, but I definitely it's like self. I'm like, or even not even black people just in general, but like this food we eat as Americans, where I'm like, that's self hatred. Like every taco, every taco bell like experiment.
Speaker 1: I'm like, when I was a kid, you could in certain corner stores in Bodega's Jordan because you're Spanish for some reason. In New York Eye Black Poppy store at corner stores you could buy some flaming hots, and then you could get the dude behind the like the counter to open it and pour meat and cheese inside of it, and then he would give you like a fork and you could just like have this flaming hot like nacho combination. And that was like a very common day throat like fucking jalapenos and that ship. Whatever you wanted, you can get that ship done. And none of us ever thought like, man, that's that's probably not a good sign for us, you know what I mean. We were just like, that's good food.
Speaker 2: Let's go.
Speaker 4: That's so fucked up.
Speaker 3: Because it's mixed messages for like for like boys growing up and for girls growing up, like you hear sisters, it would get like like even Loope talking about they say the steroids in the chicken is the reason for the thickening and the young woman and it'd be like, you know, there's steroids in it. But then on the other side, it would be like, yo, you drink that grape soda, dude, you ain't gonna have no sperm.
Speaker 1: It was grape soda for y'all.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was.
Speaker 2: Like just different. New York is wild because we've talked about the sperm, soda and nauseum.
Speaker 1: We've never gotten the grape.
Speaker 2: No, it's always been it's always been the furthest we've got is like Phanta, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think we went as far as Phantom very recently.
Speaker 3: No, ours was tropical fantasy. Tropical fantasy is the sperm killer or the blue mountain dew. Don't be drinking those. But it's like, yo, who's getting all these girls pregnant? There's clearly nothing wrong with the soda. The SODA's mine.
Speaker 1: Or the soda. The soda ain't as strong as we thought it was.
Speaker 2: The floodgates, yeah, or the reason that it's not an army of us.
Speaker 3: I am wearing I am wearing a rubber bro'. I'm just drinking this blue stuff.
Speaker 1: And maybe did you drink your blue stuff?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 1: Okay, you can come in me. One of the things that I think is is a final piece maybe to add to this conversation is while black people on average are still less likely to kill themselves as it relates to feelings of depression, suicidal thoughts, all of that stuff, there has been a major uptick in people wanting to hurt themselves in the black community and some of that may be obviously related to not seeking help the same way, right that they said, while black people on average, the suicide numbers four black people have gone from twenty eighteen to twenty twenty one have gone from seven point three person or people per every one hundred thousand people to eight point seven per one hundred thousand people. So it's made like a one and a half person jump for in three years, this three year span.
Speaker 2: I mean that's pandemic years though as well.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, yeah, twenty eighteen to twenty twenty one, you got pandemic through a big portion of that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I feel like that's like a huge that's like a significant enough occurrence to not to kind of makes you feel like it makes that day like i'd like to see it like from twenty twenty three to twenty twenty seven.
Speaker 1: Well, you know what's fascinating, and I don't disagree with you, but what is fascinating is that all of the numbers have risen across the board for everyone except white people. White people actually have dropped in numbers during that span of the pandemic. Lading the pandemic rather and and everybody else is way higher than they were so.
Speaker 4: White people are dropping less, is what you're saying.
Speaker 1: White people are feeling more sturdy than ever, and they're standing ten toes down and they ain't moving baby.
Speaker 2: Truly, one of the more upsetting statistics given theah.
Speaker 1: And what end uh the.
Speaker 3: Dogs that's keeping white people alive. You see white white people escape depressions.
Speaker 1: Hates dogs, So I get that.
Speaker 2: I don't. I don't hate dogs. Don't do that to me, first of all. But I've been given the chance, Like if dogs were given like a raised consciousness. I think the white people were the first ones they would turn on. I would hope so and whoever's fighting them mostly yeah, I would hope they Yeah, how.
Speaker 4: Conscious we talking like they could talk?
Speaker 1: Yeah, but like talk well, not talk about the ship that they would talk about right now. You want them talking about like you know, I.
Speaker 2: Think any mastery of language, and they would turn on white people.
Speaker 1: You think you think basic.
Speaker 2: I don't think dogs like wearing clothes. I don't think like like wearing clothes. I don't think they like living in apartments. I don't think they like black people. No, that comes from an owner. It's just like a tension thing. Yeah, but they were like biting us. It's like civil rights. They train them. That's the thing. Dogs aren't loyal, will bite anybody you tell them.
Speaker 4: To, but now it's in their genes to bite.
Speaker 1: I think you need them a little smarter than what you have them right now. They don't seem to have much allegiance beyond who's who's feeding them.
Speaker 3: They got the intelligence of a two year old who hates black people. That's what they's yea and Jordan.
Speaker 1: Jordan seems to think the black part is permanent, but.
Speaker 2: There's not coded forever. This is like one generation.
Speaker 1: They're born that way, and I don't know what to do about that part.
Speaker 2: You know what, Why is it always it always comes back to dogs and soda on this podcast. I swear to.
Speaker 1: God, dogs and motherfucking soda. That's all black people have conspiracies about man.
Speaker 3: Just thinking just the thought of dogs talking this is so scary to me because I do think they would call they would definitely call us the N word.
Speaker 2: Like every dog.
Speaker 1: I tend to think that when you know, when you're walking past the house and a dog is just like yacking, just like hard as fuck. It's just nigger, all right, all right? He's like he's a nice guy. I don't know why he's doing that. Yeah, I bet he doesn't.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry. I'm sorry, sir, it's not you. I'm sorry he hates as. It's not guy.
Speaker 1: I swear to God if you could hear what he's saying in his language. It's just a racial thing. It's not He's not a mean guy. He just doesn't like you. He was just I think I think we did it. I think this this covers the entire discussion. It certainly should. Could you tell the people where they can find you and what cool ship you have going on?
Speaker 4: I don't got no cool shit going on. You can't find me nowhere.
Speaker 1: I well, I guess I'm.
Speaker 3: Doing Sweet Lorraine, a solo show about my grandma, on the twenty third and twenty fourth of June at the Allsion. And you can find me at Courage Bagels in Virgil Village. It's really good bagels.
Speaker 4: Go there.
Speaker 3: I hope this reaches somebody so they can get me a real cool hat there. Every time I go, the employees are Courage Bagels have really cool hats, and they never plucked me in. But it's a really good place. Montreal style bagels. Go check it out and check out Rick's produce.
Speaker 1: Just go find Jordan that courage bagels and or give him my hat. I think he wants you to give him a hat when you see him there, and don't bring your racist dog. I guess he's not going to get along with it. And Bory, you want to tell the people where they can find you.
Speaker 2: A cool guy joke Safity seven on Instagram. Man, I'm really into these remote control boats, So if anybody wants wants it, if anybody wants to send me like more information I need. I need to figure out. I need a situation for my battery life to last longer on the water because it's just not going as long as I would like. So if anybody has any information about RC boats, you know, send that my way.
Speaker 1: Send my man boat, send my other man out. Yeah wait.
Speaker 2: Also June eight teeth them headlining the DC Improv with Jamel Johnson. May nineteenth, High Note Comedy in Denver. We got Brad Sativa coming up. Gonna be a good time. The boat's thing for real, because.
Speaker 1: I don't know if I should priority to gas.
Speaker 2: Or if I should stay electric. I don't really know.
Speaker 1: As long as you can find me at Langston, Germy, I'm not gonna keep helping you with this boat shit, you know what you're talking about.
Speaker 2: Wait till you try to boat that's gonna be your therapy. Wait, wait till you try a remote control boat. You're gonna be surprised. Of the five black guys I've let ride run them. Everyone liked it, so.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I believe I like it. I don't know that it's going to be the healing I need, but I believe I'll enjoy the boat.
Speaker 2: First step to healing is opening yourself up to healing soon. Damn.
Speaker 1: That's how uh. And it makes me think. And if you want to think like me, you can follow me at Langston on Instagram. After that, Yeah, I'm gonna move right to watch watch me, watch me eurostep this goofy conversation about boats, and if you want to see me live, you can.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: I'll be at Wise Guys in Utah, West Jordan, Utah, June twenty third and twenty fourth. I'll be at the Philly Punchline July sixth through eighth, and then I'll be at Dead Crow in Wilmington, North Carolina, July twenty eighth and twenty ninth. I would love for y'all to come out there. They're gonna be fun ones. And then, as always, follow the podcast, subscribe to the YouTube channel fucking you know. Send us your own drops, your own conspiracy theories, tell us how depressed we make you at my Mama Pod, Mymama Pod at gmail dot com. We would love to hear from you.
Speaker 4: We did it by bitch at Jordie Bloyd. You can follow me.
Speaker 5: My chips and your
Speaker 2: Kuala Bears are racists, money, turkey stuff I can't tell me