Speaker 1: So we've established that you're a huge holiday person all the way around, aren't you. Yes, So Halloween all out, yes, Thanksgiving all out?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: Is Christmas though, you're number one, my favorite, number one. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I love this time of year. I love the weather. I love that it's snowboarding season.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's almost seventy five, it dips almost seventy five degrees. It's just gorgeous, wonderful. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well that's what I was so thankful for last year when we got our place up in Big Bears, because we can go to where it feels a lot colder, you know, it's more than down here, and it's just a quick two hour drive for us. So I do love that. But yes, I mean I like I would just die. You know. We talked about this with our other Christmas movie. To have a like perfect Christmas snow world like snow We Wonderland would be the dream for me.
Speaker 1: Raised in Connecticut, we used to get, we used to get.
Speaker 2: I always wanted to be in you know, New York during Christmas like that was always just it would.
Speaker 1: Be London at Christmas time is like really because they'll do up all the storefronts with lights, so like Fortenham and Mason Is looks like a giant advent calendar with all the windows and there's just lights everywhere, and it's it's magical. New York City is the same way.
Speaker 2: It's just h Yeah, London, I bet would be very it's your favorite place, so I sure it is.
Speaker 1: I love it anyway. But welcome back to Magical rewind the show that makes you want to grab your friends, your pjs and your popcorn and go back to a time when all the houses were smart, the Wave, Tsunamis and the high School's musical.
Speaker 2: I'm Wilford Dell and I'm Sabrina Brian.
Speaker 1: It's the season, everybody, or should I say tis the season, which is just it's the season misspelled, uh deck the halls and become best friends with a tree because we're basking in the festive season. By recapping nineteen ninety six as Wonderful World of Disney movie The Christmas Tree, and it's there has never been a more apply named film, yes in the hiss, since maybe what we were talking about before we went on there Karate Kid, which was literally just about a karate kid. Well, this is about a Christmas Tree, so it's called The Christmas Tree. It's a buddy drama between a big city gardener and a secluded nun over possession of a giant tree. Or it's a buddy drama about a nun and a tree. You could look at it that way too. It premiered on ABC December twenty second, nineteen ninety six, predictably, just in time for Christmas, and is based on a New York Times bestseller of the same name from frequent collaborators, writer Julie Salomon and illustrator Jill Weber. Salomon began her career as a respected journalist and transitioned into a prolific author in several different genres, from memoir to biography to young adult. It's shot in Pittsburgh, Yes, a new location for us. Put a pin on the map that will be probably your second or third pin, and the entire map, because that's they always shoot in the same places. You've got Utah with seven hundred of them, You've got Los Angeles with seven hundred of them, and now you got one in Pittsburgh with a few shots in New York. Understandably, and in the lexicon of Disney Channel produced movies, this tear Jerker is memorable for many reasons. The most glaring is a high, very high profile actress making her directorial debut. But we're going to get to that a little bit later. Have you been to Rock Center during christ I have?
Speaker 2: I have?
Speaker 1: Have you skated?
Speaker 2: I have not either. No. We're there on tour doing our Christmas tour for the Cheetah Girls, and I got to go see the tree, but we didn't have time to kind of, you know, do the whole ice skating thing. It would be such a dream though, right, I mean, it's so amazing.
Speaker 1: I haven't either. I grew up going to New York all the time. I see the tree one hundred times. Fao Schwartz around Christmas, the original fair Sworts. They moved it. It's now like a much smaller place. But the old school Fao Schwartz that was three or four stories tall, where they shot big and they just Christmas. It was magic. It was the most amazing places.
Speaker 2: And you didn't ice skate?
Speaker 1: No, never, I don't know. I mean I can skate, I can't stop. We talked about this. I can do a lot of things on boards, but I can't stop on any of them. So skating Yeah, that's a tough stop right there.
Speaker 2: You're in California. They do that a couple of places. They've got these rinks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, near us there's one.
Speaker 2: The last one I went to was so tiny. All I could see was these little kids blades coming up in the air and just like cutting my jugular likes it was. There was no it was not safe. It was not because there was no you know, no one really yeah knows how to skate that goes out on those and with it being that much smaller, it's less roof.
Speaker 1: Right the season to ex sanguinate.
Speaker 2: As they said, I nervous. Jordan was so embarrassed as me because I just was, Oh, my god, get away, get away, like I'm showing little kids to go. I still don't believe Jordan exists, by the way, I know, I know for sure soon now.
Speaker 1: You got to meet my wife. My wife, she was so funny because she was like I really like her. I'm like, yes, I know, she's very sweet. So you met my wife. You know my wife's real.
Speaker 2: I do. For one day, you won't figure out whether or not Jordan's I'm.
Speaker 1: Sure I will. A little history on the Rockefeller Tree. By the way, It is a very large Christmas tree placed annually at Rockefella Center in Midtown Manhattan, and is one of the states, if not the country's, most recognizable landmarks. Set next to NBC's notorious thirty Rock Studios, Its lighting ceremony is broadcast live on the network annually and it's transported in mid November and brightened. I think that's where they lighted up. I guess it's like it's technically called being brightened on Wednesday after Thanksgiving and estimated one hundred and twenty five million people visit the attraction per year and an uncountable amount seat on TV or in the movies. The tree is usually a Norway spruce somewhere in the sixty nine to one hundred foot tall range and is donated to stand there in New York and then becomes lumber after the new year. David Murbach, manager of the Garden's division of Rockefeller Center, scouted for the tree in upstate New York and nearby states, even venturing into Canada right up until his death in two thousand and nine. And now the head gardener, Eric Pause, thank you very much, is in charge. I was hoping you get that if you can believe it. Trees can now also be submitted for consideration through the center's website. There is also a new television reality game show where trees dress up as different characters and sing and they are kicked off one at a time until they pick the new tree. I'm kidding, of course, that is that is not at all what happens, because trees cancing, and for many years it was considered the largest public display tree. But then LA had to go and ruin everything in their typical fashion with their hundred to hundred and ten foot tree at the Grove Shopping Center. What a jerk tree.
Speaker 2: Okay, but I I didn't think that that was a real tree anymore. I thought by this time, with it being so big, I didn't know they actually still get real trees for Rockefella.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I honestly didn't know that the Groves ever was a big tree.
Speaker 1: And plastic surgery.
Speaker 2: Well, there's not a lot of forests around us, and you know, so, I mean, obviously yes they can, they'll they bring it in, but you just don't think of LA thinking there'd be I feel like in New York, you know that the outskirts of New York there's a lot.
Speaker 1: Of Yeah, you've got that kind of outdoorsy Christmas y tree.
Speaker 2: Kind of yes, yeah, there's not a lot here in La So I never thought that one was real. But I was really excited to find out that this was a real tree.
Speaker 1: Still that all real, isn't that?
Speaker 2: Ne Oh? Wow, it's giant.
Speaker 1: Wow wow wow it is. It's huge. Do you already know what you're asking for for Christmas? We'll do that later. Okay. We asked this every week. Had you heard of the Christmas Tree movie?
Speaker 2: Never? No, never, ever ever?
Speaker 1: And the thing that's interesting is, I think my date with the President's daughter was nineteen ninety seven, Wonderful World of Disney. This is nineteen ninety six. I figured I would have known kind of the movies around that era, Rightever, never heard of this before?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah.
Speaker 1: So before we light this baby up, though, let's get into the synopsis. An unexpected friendship blossoms between an elderly nun who's been growing a tree for decades and the Rockefeller gardener who wants to move it to their world renowned Christmas display. Early thoughts, what did you think of this movie?
Speaker 2: Sabrina? You know what I was stuck on at the beginning. Oh my god, if this isn't a sign of pre covid, I don't know what is him with his snotty rag that he's so like five minutes like what is this guy? Ill? I mean? And just the idea that he's around all these older women. It's so pre covid because all I can think of is you're going to get those ladies sick.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I thought the same thing.
Speaker 2: You never would have thought of.
Speaker 1: Yep. It's like you're around elderly people, you're getting.
Speaker 2: The mask on, Like, don't even go around them. They should not have you in there. Yeah, they're convent.
Speaker 1: Did you like it though?
Speaker 2: I would? You know? At first? It's a Christmas movie, and I always have good hopes. I do sit and watch tons of Hallmark and Lifetime. I love all of their Christmas stuff. I think next year, when it comes to reviewing Christmas movies, we might want to us hop over there.
Speaker 1: And maybe maybe quickly jump to a Hallmark or Lifetime movie.
Speaker 2: Away from Disney for just a little bit, because I think this is just another pin on the board to say that Disney's not necessarily the one. Well, we haven't found it yet. I mean we there's big movie the motion pictures, but the ones that are catered for the television just don't seem to hit the greatest mark. I went in and out of it, but at the very beginning it was just kind of like, what are we what? So this is just about getting a tree, right, okay? And then once we got our main character telling her story, I did start caring and diving in a little bit more. But at the beginning, I'm going I mean again, I was really caught up with his cold.
Speaker 1: You couldn't get over the cold.
Speaker 2: But it seemed like they kind of brushed over quite a bit, like I didn't understand what was going on with the assistant at first, say like what you know? Wait, yeah, and there's all these talks about other women. So it was kind of just blotchy for a good minute for me, until finally when we start hearing the backstory of this specific nun.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I kind I actually kind of agree with that. I went in, you know it, we'll get into the cast, but Andrew McCarthy because it's like, Okay, this is gonna be good. And then it felt like a real movie, if that makes sense. It didn't feel like a Disney Channel early nineties movie. Because it's a mid nineties, earlier midnights, it felt like a real movie. And I was like, okay, great, and then I was kind of like, what the hell is this? And then I was openly weeping At one point by myself. Sue was gone, she was out for the night, and I was like looking at my dog, like, what is going on?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: I couldn't believe it.
Speaker 2: I didn't get to that emotional place down I did, and I'm stucker for emotion.
Speaker 1: As we teased before, this movie is directed by a superstar and it was her first time behind the camera. Ready for this, Sally Field directed The Christmas Tree Yes. Field's career has spanned six decades, first breaking out in the hit nineteen sixties show Gidget as the titular surfer girl, which again really fun show. She'd go on to appear in some of the biggest movies, including Norman Ray, Forrest Gump, she was Forest's Mom, Steel Magno, and Missus Doubtfire. She's won two Academy Awards, two Golden Globes, and three Primetime Emmy Awards. It would be an easy argument to say she is one of her generation's most successful actresses. She's just amazing, and though Christmas Tree was her directorial debut, she'd only go on to direct one episode of Tom Hanks's produced miniseries From the Earth to the Moon, my favorite miniseries of all time. Go watch it. It's amazing, and the two thousand movie Beautiful, starring Mini Driver and Hallie Eisenberg. Did you know she directed this?
Speaker 2: No, not until I kind of got you know, I skim for just kind of a quick what we're looking at before and that I saw that, and I'm bummed. I didn't get it, Like, where was.
Speaker 1: Her little just cameo something? Yeah, well she played the tree. She was the tree.
Speaker 2: Oh, she was the tree.
Speaker 1: Got it? Got it?
Speaker 2: I would have thought we would have gotten a tiny little cameo. I guess she probably was like really wanting to yeah, focused on She wasn't here to action. Is there to direct?
Speaker 1: What are the chances of getting her to come on magical rewind to talk about God?
Speaker 2: I think we've got a really big chance.
Speaker 1: I think so too. I think we're gonna shoot for the stars. We're gonna get there, We're gonna get there. This movie stars Julie Harris, as sister. Anthony Harris was a five time Tony winning stage actress who also scored three Emmys and a Grammy. So she lives in the rare era that Fields does. And Harris was very close to an Egot, which everybody knows is an Emmy, Golden Globe, and Oscar and Tony. She was what I said, dang, oh Grammy, I said Golden Globe, that was wrong, and Emmy, a Grammy, an Oscar, and a Tony. She was nominated for an Oscar in nineteen fifty two for the movie The Member of the Wedding, but unfortunately lost. Other notable movies she's in includes East of Eden and The Haunting. Harris died in twenty thirteen at the age of eighty seven. And Andrew McCarthy is Richard Riley. McCarthy was a member of the Infamous Brat Pack, a group of popular young actors in the eighties who were taking over Hollywood, starring and projects together. The group also included names like Amelio Estevez, Molly Ringwald, Judd Nelson, rob Loo, and Demi Moore. McCarthy was seen movies like Saint Elmo's Fire, which was not a good movie. Less than Zero, which was a great movie. Pretty in Pink, which you remember being a good movie but actually wasn't. And Mannequin is the same thing. And of course Weekend at Bernie's, which is well, weekend at Bernie's, Serena, have you seen any of these?
Speaker 2: I've seen Pretty in Pink and I've seen Weekend at Bernie's.
Speaker 1: You never saw a mannequin?
Speaker 2: No, I don't think so.
Speaker 1: You know what Mannikin's about.
Speaker 2: No, I feel like I'm thinking of a wrong movie where a manniquin comes alive.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, that's the one. Kim Cattrall plays a mannequin. She was an ancient Egyptian. Yeah, and she becomes a mannequin and he like unlocks her at night and is having sex with a mannequin. Yeah, no, I have not seen it. I think I've seen a different strange she picks them straight.
Speaker 2: Hyra Banks is in My Man.
Speaker 1: Oh yes, the no, no, no, this is from like nineteen eighty four. Okay, that was probably that was a remake. I'm guessing of this one with Angela.
Speaker 2: No, no, she doesn't have sex with anyone.
Speaker 1: She's like, oh yeah, no, oh yeah, no, not this one. He's he's like he puts her. He designs storefronts, and he puts her in all the storefronts of a mannequin. And she comes live at night and they date, but if anybody sees them together, it just looks like it. So he's like riding his motorcycle in the streets of New York with a mannequin on the back, but then she's hugging him, then to mannequin on the back, and then he goes down.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, that's funny.
Speaker 1: You gotta go check it out. It's a weird movie. McCarthy has since went on to direct TV shows like Gossip Girl, White Collar, Orange Is the New Black, and also this year's documentary about his notorious eighties friends group called Brats, which did very very well. Triny Alvarado is Beth. Triny is best known as Meg in the nineteen ninety four version of Little Women, and from her role in nineteen ninety six is Peter jackson horror comedy The Frighteners opposite my idol Michael J.
Speaker 2: Fox.
Speaker 1: Betty Amberlin plays sister Sarah and maybe her last name might ring a bell with some of our people out there. She played Lady Amberln from the Land of Make Believe for the entire thirty three year run of Mister Rogers Neighborhood Awesome, and then later in her career she'd form an unlikely friendship with the director and writer Kevin Smith, and she went on to appear in a lot of his movies like Dogma, Zach and Mury Make a Porno which is very different than the Christmas Tree, and the just released four to thirty movie and all of you IMDb heads out there, which that might not be a thing dB heads, We'll figure it out. Someone named Colin Quinn is credited in the movie as Tom and is incorrectly linked to the stand up comedy legend of the same name, but it's actually Colin with two l's so wrong, guy, get your stuff together, IMDb. This movie is ninety two minutes. It is hovering over the target, but unfortunately landed two minutes beyond, which means it's too long, you go. Like I had mentioned, Julia Salomon and Joe Webber wrote the original book, so they get story credit, while Sally Field and a writer named Janet Bronwell shared teleplay credit. Brownwell wrote the salacious TV movie The Amy Fisher Story, again not quite the Christmas Tree, and some other TV movies like Once Upon a Mattress, Eloise at the Plaza and Twelve Days at Christmas. She really runs the gamut. So what are we waiting for? Let's chop down this Christmas tree? Oh oh no ouch. We open with some classical music and credits over close up shots of Christmas trees, only to be interrupted by a chainsaw Rockefeller Centers. Richard Riley is getting a tour of a forest area and different options from Sven, who is a ground keeper lumber jack. What are people an arborist? I guess is what he would be technically. Richard is not impressed at all with what he sees, and he knows his stuff. He also appears, as Sabrina has mentioned several times, to have a serious case of COVID, but is still out in the world and around elderly people. All the time, he is sneezing and coughing and covering his nose with a handkerchief. He tells then that the tree he picks needs to survive until the end of the year, and it's only March. A disease tree just won't do. He wants Ven's best tree for the world famous Rockefeller Center. But Fenn fnn. But Sven takes him to his quote very best, and it's even more pitiful than all the rest of them.
Speaker 2: It was and it didn't even look like a Christmas tree at all. It didn't look like one.
Speaker 1: It was Sven needs to be run out of the business. This is a side hustle for Sven. He's like, let.
Speaker 2: Me take you to my better Christmas tree. Here's a maple tree. Like it didn't even look like a ninth tree.
Speaker 1: It was like, that's an apple tree. You're not even close. Yeah, very very strange. Then Richard gets a call from his assistant Beth, and he tells her to call that farm in Vermont and get their tree after all, leaving Sven in the dust. But unfortunately Vermont called this morning and that tree already went to the White House. Also, he had a date later that got canceled, which he seems to pretend doesn't bother him at all, but we can tell it does. He hangs up with Beth, which also got kind of flirty in case you work in HR for the Rockefellers, but sneezing, coughing, and probably horribly contagious, Richard takes a helicopter so small, little tight area and scans the woods. When he sees something, it is a huge tree all by itself near a large manner. It's just perfect, almost a mirage. He's told it belongs to Brush Creek, which is a nun convent. He knows what he has to do and makes his way to the nunnery. He's immediately welcomed by a crabby nun who rejects help up the last two steps. I'm old, I'm not dead. Richard also meets Sister Sarah, a younger nun who appears to be working with cheese. Apparently this nunnery is known for their cows and their cheeses, which I think this is like actually a thing. I know, there's a lot of beer, and.
Speaker 2: Just stayed at a convent, right right, yeah, and we stayed at the family member has another side of the family that has a nun aunt in there, and theirs is this awesome like caramel chocolates and that's like their thing as well as beer. They also do beer, which I was like, what, yeah, I would never yeah, ever know, but yeah, it's really cool that each hap they all have their kind of special thing that they make a lot of and they sell and I'm not sure where the proceeds like what they did, but it probably just for supply.
Speaker 1: And how where the caramels just like the most amazing candies you've ever had in it? Right, Yeah, so good. They've been perfecting them for like three hundred years. Kind of Oh my gosh, I'm gonna need that number of that nunnery, if that's okay with you, which is which is strange. He eventually meets mother Superior Francis, who's the top dog, that informs him they have a working Gary farm. And that's when I realized, I don't really know what nuns do when they aren't in church, so I guess it is stuff like this where.
Speaker 2: They have a whole day. I mean, we would even to see his aunt. She'd come over to meet a lot of us, and because she's lived there and it's out in New York or Boston area, and even to get her to come, her schedule was so jam passed. It was great an hour here, maybe forty five minutes. So we kind of adjusted our schedule around when she was available at amazing, got lots to do, way more stuffy to do than me they take care of the grounds themselves. They do everything pretty much.
Speaker 1: Idle hands of the devil's work, that's what they say. Well they do. Mother Superior here, we learn, is also very very hard of hearing, and that is going to come back in the future. Richard informs her that he's interested in the tree, and he's sent to Sister Anthony, the final boss on matters just like this, and someone who apparently just stands by the tree all day long like some kind of a bridge troll. I'm surprised he didn't have to answer the questions three before getting there. Also, Richard can't stop sneezing. He might be dying by this point. Maybe he has the plague. We're not sure. But after a long walk, Richard eventually makes it to the tree and it is absolutely stunning. It's exactly what he's looking for and more. He kicks the trunk to check for disease, and Sister Anthony, who's been landscaping, appears. He gives his desperate pitch for the tree and the importance of Rockefeller Center, but she is absolutely not sold. She questions his experience with raising trees. While she rejects him, he gets another call from a woman totally ghosting them because she's getting married. This dude can't find a tree or a woman to save his life.
Speaker 2: I thought those were such weird little.
Speaker 1: Calls that they're just very strange, kind of like, Okay, I get what you're doing, but a weird way to set it up. Yeah, yeah, it would have been so if we shot this movie nowadays, as he's talking to her, he would have been getting texts Yes, yes, like no I'm not going to see you or can I come get my stuff or something like that. Yes, yeah, but it's strange when he's on the phone the whole time. He's affected by this call though, But you know what's not affecting him his cold because the tree has oxygen healing powers, and Sister Anthony is obviously very connected to Tree, which is the creative name she's given him. She's been with Tree since she was a six year old orphan. This is where we see some flashbacks of her life, a format used for the entire movie going forward, and she's painting clock faces with other kids and eventually going silent. We learned she doesn't talk a lot. We're not entirely sure why she was stuck at the orphanage. At this point, it was a difficult time in her life, but she was protected from bullies by an older boy, Tom, who would give her leaves and acorns in a satchel every night, telling her they were magical. And I was like, Oh, we're setting up Tom. Tom's going to be super important. Can't wait to meet Tom as an adult. We don't ever see Tom again.
Speaker 2: We don't.
Speaker 1: We don't ever see Tom again. He's gone, He's gone forever. Then one day some people took her from the home, separating her from her best friend forever again, assuming Tom was going to come back, but she still has the satchel he gave her, and the tree at her new home quickly became her new best friend. In modern times, We're back, Sister Anthony introduces Richard to tree and asks him to really touch him. Richard embraces the bark and is immediately at ease. And this raised a question while watching that I didn't see coming. I asked myself, is this man going to start a physical relationship with this tree? He did it with a mannequin, why not a tree?
Speaker 2: The longest and brave of this tree. It was like, and I mean, I've hugged a tree as trying to climb using the trunk, like never a comfortable feeling, always scratching up your your neck, your arms, your shoulders, your face, like there's nothing comfortable.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, seriously, so weird.
Speaker 2: It was so weird. And I get it. This tree is very important. I understand that's what we're trying.
Speaker 1: To Like, yes, and he's supposed to have gotten a spiritual kind of feeling from it.
Speaker 2: But it was pretty.
Speaker 1: Longer than Molly Ducky in Pretty and Pink. I'm telling you, Yeah, it was a lot. Okay, So, Sister Anthony says, some people say they feel God in the tree, which is obviously what the tree is supposed to represent. It's a source of love, which Richard admits he doesn't get much. He quickly opens up about his own life, saying he needs more comfort from humans. He loves his job, friends, and apartment, but Sister Anthony concludes he doesn't have a place where he's truly himself or somewhere where he really belongs like tree is for her. With this devastating assumption, she walks off, leaving Richard to sulk in his pitiful loneliness. His cold also comes back. Richard runs after the nun, but probably slowly because of the upper respiratory infection. He still wants tree, but Sister Anthony says, over my dead body. He finds out she teaches art and botany after she joked that she teaches sex ed, which is a weird kind of joke, but it was fun. Richard again is back to sneezing when Sister Anthony asks him to redo the grounds with her and some of her students. With his past and agriculture landscaping, he'd be a really big help, but he's still focused on getting the tree for Christmas, and that's his most important thing. We get another flashback here from her childhood after she was picked up from the orphanage and arrives at the monastery. The nuns help her talk again, with Sister Francis leading the way. She knows these women of God are looking to help her. Still very overwhelming, and she attempts to run away, only to get lost and scared, eventually falling on her face and landing right in front of tree. She cuddled the warm and sweet tree and felt immediately safe, And they did this thing. Where As she lays down, you can see the tree moving and like embracing her, like they gave the tree sentient powers a little bit. Yeah, I mean they really did. It was trying to, you know, embrace her. So she cuddled up and the warm and sweet tree and felt immediately safe. She fell asleep there, eventually found by Sister Francis, prompting her to speak for the first time in a while. She says she wants to stay with tree, and so Francis lets her hang out there for the whole day. Other nuns came by to say hello and meat tree celebrating. Sister Anthony then called Anna's new found voice and everything here is very touching. They eventually pack up for the night, and this experience helped her realize she belonged here with the nuns and her tree. This also had me thinking, do nuns just adopt kids? Like to hit A bunch of nuns just get together and say I want that one.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I don't think that's really a thing. I don't think it is a thing nowadays. I don't know. I mean, I've always thought in my head, nuns there was a lot a lot of times where nuns did take care of like orphanages, Like when you see in movies. You know, Elf is a movie where he starts in like, there's like nuns that are taking care of Yeah, these orphan babies. So I've kind of thought of that, but there were no other kids. This definitely was not a orphanage.
Speaker 1: It was they just adopted this kid.
Speaker 2: They just like adopted her. Yeah, so, but you do kind of have that common think idea of that nuns do take care of other babies that don't have family.
Speaker 1: I can see them running that first orphanage, but I didn't see eight nuns just to die. It was like a sitcom. Yeah, they made of us adopted a kid. It was really weird. She also reveals she's always had a recurring nightmare. She sees a beautiful, glowing shooting star and she tries to touch it, but as she gets close, a scary beast tries to bite her. Sister Francis's main message about Tree is that people aren't supposed to be alone in this world. Everyone must find their metaphorical tree and accept it. And all this speaks right to our Lona Richard. We see him arrive at home to no One and one message from missus Beth and another from maybe it's another girl telling her she's back together with her ex. I mean, this guy must just be a horrible date all the way around. He stares off sad as hell and starts drinking. That's just Tuesday. Now it's July. In the office and Richard has finally found a tree. He embraces Beth and they hold each other for too long, like he did with the tree, originally creating an awkward moment. We learn that Richard has been getting numerous letters and different crafts from Sister Anthony. He seems a little annoyed by it, but she still wants him to come help her gardening class. He calls the monastery, but Mother Superior is so hard of hearing. She thought he said he was coming to help, so now he's stuck. Also, Beth asks him over for dinner, and he'll try, but he's going to swing by the monastery. First sounds like a weird excuse. We are now in Sister Anthony's greenhouse. Richard lets her know he found a different tree for Rockefeller Center and he doesn't have time to help her with any landscaping. He also admits that his dad was a lawyer, so the idea of ever turning his gardening interest into a profession was never possible for him. She wonders if he truly is doing what he loves. Richard wants to get back to the city for dinner with Beth, but Sister Anthony, who explains she has degrees from Emerson and Yale, quotes Richard Frost. We get another flashback but her education at Brush Creek. She learned French piano and math from the nuns, but her real education was from being with and playing around Tree. This is where she learned to read and look for that big star from her nightmares, which she of course never found. She also gets common flashbacks of holding a man's hand. Her mentor, Sister Mary, eventually had to leave to go help in the war, leaving Annah very angry and sad. This might be where I started crying. She doesn't even say goodbye, but Sister Mary knows her heart is saying it for her and asks Tree to take care of her. Three months after she left, Sister Mary was killed in a bombing attack and received the Medal of Bravery. Sister Anthony and Richard end up crying from the story, so did I, but are interrupted when the group of students come running for their lesson. Richard decides to join after all, which leads us to Beth, his very sad assistant, now alone and listening to Fourth of July music on the radio. Eventually, Richard does arrive, covered in dirt and sweat. He made it just in time for the fireworks, and they almost kiss. Then we cut to the next time we see him. They are a full blown couple at a cafe. It appears she still works room as well, and that must be offered for everybody else in the office, especially because she's still getting calls about other women he's dated. Okay, Sabrina, let's work out some dates here the tour case. Because I didn't get it.
Speaker 2: I'm like, Sabanci, like, what is this? Nothing's explained. I'm irritated. I don't understand it. I miss something. I am not going back and watching it.
Speaker 1: I'm not rewinding.
Speaker 2: I will not rewind. I will just ask questions.
Speaker 1: So the movie starts in March. Yes, okay, a number of months have passed, so how long have they been dating by this point.
Speaker 2: That's what I'm saying. A few even if there was think about it as you do, I do kind of obviously we're watching these, we're streaming these, so there are points. So there was obviously a commercial break there, but even if I came back from a commercial break, and then they're now in this full blown relationship and they don't even give you like the subtitle thing at the bottom going three months.
Speaker 1: Later or the old thing of the last autumn tree, like the leaf falling from the tree. So yeah, that's like that, like something like that, yes, something, it's.
Speaker 2: Just like, oh my wait. And then because as we'll get into it, like they're talking about, they just move on very quickly from here and he freaks out. But I'm like, I don't know if I should not like him right now because he's is he freaking out too much? I'm freaking out because you guys didn't even kiss thirty seconds ago because you had.
Speaker 1: And now yeah, so that's okay.
Speaker 2: And by the way, we don't get to see your first kiss. What the hell is going on here? It was very strange's first kiss, Like you can't just cut that out. That's garbage, garbage.
Speaker 1: I wonder if they ever even shot it. But you're right, no first kiss.
Speaker 2: No first kiss, crazy, So we don't know how long.
Speaker 1: They been together, but Beth lets him know that his landlord called he'll be raising the rent at the end of his lease and was giving him notice. Richard says he'll have to move because he can't afford it, but Beth's just they move in together. So again, this was the.
Speaker 2: Best girlfriend trying to move in move I have seen, because she's the one that got the message right and she just throws it out like, Hey, your landlord called. You know they're gonna raise about that. She's like He's like, oh, well, I guess I'm gonna have to move and she's like, well, actually I've already thought about that.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: He was so slick on it. I was like, yes, okay, now she's a little gangster and now I'm back in with Beth like her.
Speaker 1: But this is where not showing us how long the relationship changes the movie, because if they've been together for two years, he's an If they've been together for two weeks, she's crazy crazy. So which which one are we supposed to know?
Speaker 2: I'm telling you. I was like, I don't know if I should like think he's he's like a jerk or she's insane. I don't know, because how long they've been dating.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's one of the two.
Speaker 2: They have been friends for a very long time. Looks like she obviously worked with him for a long time. But you can tell like he was not into it. Now he is, Okay, slow your role, let him take his time. Yeah, you're even if it was six months, that's kind of a lot to move in together.
Speaker 1: That's a lot. Now. Granted they're supposed to be what probably late thirties, so it's not like their young twenties kind of things like you do hit an age where you kind of you know, I know, you pooper, get off the pot, as they would say. Yeah, But at the same time, I'd like to know how long they were dating. So I know it's just so he was gangster and I'm back on me. But Richard, of course, being a man, laughs are off and asks if they're ready for side by side toothbrushes. By the way, I don't care what anybody says. The key to a healthy marriage, separate bathroom, She says, she is, but he doesn't want financial reasons to force him into cohabitation. That's perfectly reasonable, and he is saved by the bell when the phone rings. It's yet another girl, who he says is someone that he works with. But Beth seems rattled. He has too many things going on and it's hurting her feelings. She leaves an ultimatum, which all men love. He needs to figure out what he wants and get back to her. We are now back at the monastery. Sister Mary is talking a tree and is shocked when she sees Richard sitting at his trunk. He's very depressed about Beth and came for some advice. Mary tries to consul him about love, and Richard sarcastically asked, how would you know. He apologizes and she explains that when she you know, I love this because they always say this, like I wasn't born a nun. And when she was eighteen, before she was officially a nun, she met a plumber named Roy. He was so nice and cute and all the two of them together could have been so happy.
Speaker 2: And I love that actress that played the young Anna. She was great, adore. Yeah, the two of them together were a stag on TV camera, like a great TV couple.
Speaker 1: She met a plumber named Roy working on the property who was so taken by her. He stumbled while trying to talk to her, which was just so cute. They had a romance, keeping each other company and while they did their respective work. She even introduced him to Tree. When the plumbing job was finished, Roy and his dad were going to move to Florida, but after having just one dance and a kiss under Tree, he says he will always love her and asks her to move with him. She says, even though she loves him, she can't, but just as the car leaves, she grabs her satchel and runs to meet him. But she can't catch up. And now, because she's a slow runner, she never gets a chance to.
Speaker 2: See run and Roy clearly can't hear. I just felt like there was no no communication, no reason why he couldn't have seen her in the rear view mirror.
Speaker 1: I also don't know she was running to join him. I think she just was running after the car, kind of like Tom at the beginning. It was mirroring Tom saying goodbye to her. Oh yeah, you know, like I think it was, yeah.
Speaker 2: Just for like an the moment to say goodbye. Maybe I'm sorry that I'm such a whimp and can't leave these grounds.
Speaker 1: This is how yeah, exactly terrible. My head is. I thought they were going to reintroduce Tom, who she was going to fall in love with Tom, and then Tom was going to be sent off to the war and killed.
Speaker 2: That's WoT I thought Roy was about to get in a car accident.
Speaker 1: Can we both go so dark with these things? I thought a media was gonna wipe out the entire nunnery just right there. That's what I thought was about to happen. Man, we go dark with these things, Sabrida.
Speaker 2: I mean, I was like, because the clear, like continual thing that has happened to this poor woman is like people being stripped away from her. So I thought, for sure thought Roy was goner. Like that's why she was running because I didn't know because she said she didn't want to go, but that she's running it only to see him.
Speaker 1: Corner and a big break, says, I love you. Somebody is hit by a bus.
Speaker 2: That is terrible.
Speaker 1: We were once again back in modern day. She had she was scared, she didn't want to leave when she knew. Richard is shocked to hear she's never left the monastery. She warns him, don't listen to your fears, but Richard says she doesn't practice what she preaches and kisses her on the cheek, and it's a very nice relationship between the two of them. Yes, next thing you know, we're in a massive snowstorm and the windows smash out the monastery, so Sister Lucia is sick and the phones and the lights have all gone out. Sister Anthony decides to write Richard a letter, which to me, in my head, I was like, oh my god, we're having an emergency. I better write him a letter. So he gets it a week and a half from now. But that's not how it turned out. That's what I mean. None of that mattered. She'll get to him the next time he comes.
Speaker 2: It's like, it's like, this is your goodbye letter. The storm over to you.
Speaker 1: Exactly why the storm. The storm has left us here. Stop. We can not have with the tree. Stop. She continues her origin story at this point, saying that after Roy left, she lost her satchel. She panicked and searchs the house for hours. She ran to tree and begged for help. She's reprimanded by a younger Sister Lucia to go back to the house and pray. Shea says the bag is not her comfort, but God is he's in her heart and that's what she must find. So they light candles and they pray to Saint Anthony, the Saint of lost souls, for the return of her bag. During the session, she feels at peace, like how she felt with Tree, and her nightmares aren't so scary anymore. The bright Star suddenly feels okay, and the next day Sister Lucia found the satchel in the woods and Anna professes her love to the heart. None. That was another very sweet moment. It was that day she decided to become a nun herself and live a life like Sister Lucia, who she is now taking care of. Back at work, Thank god, Richard has found a new assistant. Yikes for jes she doesn't seem very good at her job. Richard now is Sister Anthony's letter and is continuing to read it to Beth. Beth is now working for someone else at the office and is still waiting for Richard to sack up and move in with her. Sister Anthony tells him that the tree was totally fine after the snowstorm, which is a relief, but she wants to see him again soon. He obliges and drives out to the monastery. By the way, he must be just racking up the miles on his car if he lives in New York City. I mean, this is a lot of traveling. But he finds out that tree is entering the final stage of his life. Sister Anthony knows that trees only live about seventy and he is definitely older than that. She asked him if he has yet found a tree for this year, and he says, it's only February, which made me go.
Speaker 2: What, we skipped an entire Christmas? I mean again, I'm going I have no idea what the time?
Speaker 1: You know? I don't either.
Speaker 2: Is it over a three year period?
Speaker 1: Is it? I mean, they don't let us know.
Speaker 2: They don't know, had some type of Christmas scene of some sort, something like the time has gone and past that he did not get the year, this tree at all for the year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was weird.
Speaker 2: Again, it stopped me in my like, wait, I agree, And again, I am not rewinding.
Speaker 1: I'm not going backwards. We're not going backwards. That's it wouldn't have mattered. No, even if you were around it, it wouldn't have mattered. They did not let you know the timeline of what is happening at all in this movie was very which is strange for a flashback movie because tiny in a flashback movie is imperative to the story exactly.
Speaker 2: You have to keep your audience knowing where they are are once they come back from the flashback.
Speaker 1: One hundred percent agree with what is happening. So yeah, it would we should have just yes, I agree, get your together, Sally Field. Anyway, after much thought, because it's Sally Field, Oh god, are you kidding, I would first get on bended knee and I'd be like, television, Sally Field, I love you so much? What's sorry? Goes up with the timeline of the Christmas Tree?
Speaker 2: Can we talk about it?
Speaker 1: She would be like, do you want to talk about Forrest Gump? Mi Emmy's I'd be like, nope, no Christmas Tree.
Speaker 2: When you were directing and the editing process, how did we not realize that we don't have any footage of any of the timeline.
Speaker 1: Is Beth crazy? That's all we need to know? Is Beth crazy? Anyway? After yes, is she against it? Or is she crazy? Is he an ass? Or is she crazy? Because it's one of the two. Anyway, after much thought. Sister Anthony wants Richard to take her Tree. She wants it to be the best it can be. She needs to let Tree move on with grace and dignity. Richard cannot believe what he's hearing. He has insurance for the best. If Tree is moving on, what about her? Richard wants her to seize the day in the same way. She's still carrying the satchel, and Richard thinks there's something she's not telling him about it. He notices the bag has a zipper and it's made from an old pair of trousers, and he knows that young Tom could not have made that bag. He knows that a part of the story is missing, but she gets emotional and says she doesn't know. She makes him promise to take Tree. We are now back at Beth's. A flustered Richard shows up with no warning, and she's getting ready for a date with some dude named Evan who we'd all probably hate. And Evan's probably the best thing that ever would have happened to me, and now she'll never know. He tells her about the latest with Tree, and he says he can't do it. It's meant too much to Sister Anthony. He admits part of him is missing and he's been too frightened to love something or someone like the nun loves the tree. Just as her date arrives, he says he loves her and leaves, just crossing paths with Evan at the door, making her look like a real Trollope. Yes, I'm using that word, by the way, for the record, she looks like a trollop because she has two dates, He's had forty two women.
Speaker 2: Call and yet he's still the guy like he's getting she's getting caught, and she did not even invite him over Nope. And it's like what we I was waiting to see, Like, what would you say to that situation? He's my brother, he doesn't look.
Speaker 1: Like me nowadays I'd be like, oh, thank you, tell him.
Speaker 2: I'm a plumber, which is funny because that was Roy's it did, but it just also kind of like, what would you say, Oh that looks bad?
Speaker 1: How about hey, sorry, Evan? I was just getting some strange before our date.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it just.
Speaker 1: That was pretty gaming.
Speaker 2: Does that work?
Speaker 1: I want it to be relaxed on our date. Thank you, stranger. That could have worked, Probably not it's.
Speaker 2: Gotta happen with like bumble stuff all the time. It's gotta happen like a brunch day on a Sunday and afternoon date and a date dating anything. There's guys out there and girls out there that play the game.
Speaker 1: Back, Thank God, Please don't judging.
Speaker 2: I just don't want to be a part of it.
Speaker 1: I'm not judging either. I just don't. I don't. I don't want to play the game. I'm not judging the game. I just don't want to play it. Later, Richard's at his place and Beth shows up. She wasn't into Evan. She showed up with some wine. They cheers and kiss to accepting Tree as the new Rockefeller Tree. The next day, Richard's cruz removing Tree as the Nun watches on, Sister Anthony and her friends decide to give it a moment of prayer, singing and spraying it with holy water, which is really awesome. Even the construction workers remove their hard hats. It was a very sweet scene. Once I did too, the singing together, it was really great. Once done, Sister Anthony decides she'll stay with Tree, even if it takes a few days to remove him. Properly, so Beth joins her. As each branch is packed for transportation and the final cut is prepared, we hear a chainsaw and Sister Anthony and he breaks down into tears. As it's finally cut down and placed on a flatbed. Richard escorts her to the trunk and she feels around to learn that he was seventy five feet. I think that also, you also have to figure out how I think that's the age too, he's seventy five years old.
Speaker 2: Well to tell how old a tree rings?
Speaker 1: The rings I think she counted the rings. It was seventy years old. Yeah, yeah, something like that. She has what was the tallest tree ever? The record was ninety eight feet, but she knows even if he's not the tallest ever, he is the most beautiful. Everyone agrees. Sister Anthony says one last goodbye, crying into one of his branches, and walks home alone. I've never felt so much for a tree in my life. We returned to the monastery. All the nuns are rushing to a van. They're traveling to the city as quote unquote guests of honor for trees, big lighting ceremony, But Sister Anthony has decided not to go. Just then, Richard drives up in a fancy I love this. Richard drives up in a fancy sports car that's so expensive it's probably the reason he can't afford that rent increase. But he also comes in pissed, like he's like I'm getting her.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which was kind of fun. But he has a lot of work to do, but nothing is more important than what he has to do at Brush Creek. He's there to convince Sister Anthony to attend. Richard tells her how important she's been to him. She's taught him about love and following his heart. She needs to now see Tree being the best he could be. He says he will be there for her and won't let go of her hand. He begs her to trust him, crying again, and his words, of course, trigger a new flashback. She took a lot of acids, so she's been flashing a lot lately. She now sees her father. She remembers standing in line for soup during the depression. She was scared. He was the one who made the bag, and the star she's been seeing in her dreams is starting to make sense. With that she decides to get in Richard's car and go to the Big City. It's the night of the Big Rockefeller set her ceremony, and Richard is taking care of a very nervous Sister Anthony. They walk through the crowd and Sister Anthony starts to see moments of her childhood and her dad. She figures out she was at the lighting ceremony before with her dad as a kid. The star she always saw on her nightwear was from the star from the tree from Rockeveller Center talk about Kismet. Her dad didn't leave her. He was unfortunately very sick and he died, and this was an important memory that she had just unlocked. And it took her to see the tree, and now it's her tree. It's come full circle. She wishes Richard a merry Christmas and yells Merry Christmas to tree. Beth joins them and we hear reading of a new letter that she sent. We pull away from a now illuminated tree becoming a simple moment of beauty, and she is very proud. End of movie. You didn't cry it all, not one, Oh my god, I know. Didn't you cry during Johnny's tsunami or something.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's why it was weird. I don't know why if I've just in a mood. I mean, like, especially Christmas movies, they usually really get me, no matter how cheesy or corny the storyline is, they usually always get me. But this didn't. I did really love the the flashbacks.
Speaker 1: I did.
Speaker 2: I did like that, but you know, just to I didn't cry. I thought I would, but it just did not happen to me. It couldn't get there emotionally.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna say, I'm gonna say, maybe a hot take of this movie. It didn't feel like a Christmas movie to me at all at all. I get what they were doing, and I think the idea of how the like a Christmas movie based around the tree at Rockefeller Center and how we get it and giving that wonderful idea that's a cool idea didn't feel like a Christmas movie to me. It felt like a play, which again I'm down for. I dig a nice quiet movie. Occasionally I two actors sitting in a room and talking for two hours.
Speaker 2: Assume this is going to be based all around the holidays, and it's yeah, which I knew it couldn't have been, because you know, being that we were at a monastery like that would have been a lot more religious. This was this absolutely did go to a religious level that we have not seen on any of the movie at this point. Talking about her father and the father that's been watching.
Speaker 1: Her, and the tree is clearly God or supposed to be faith or your connection.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well they even have the symbolism of the Son of God because she now has the offshoot of the tree that she's going to reap again. Yes, yeah, so it's I mean, there's all this kind of sim you know, religious symbolism in this movie. Definitely, totally so.
Speaker 2: But I knew that being the case, it wasn't going to be like Christmas Tree Santa Claus, because that Christmas Tree goes to Santa Claus. It does not go to the Birth of Jesus, right, you know, I knew we weren't really going to go there.
Speaker 1: Do you know where they actually think the Christmas Tree came from. No, So in ancient Egypt, on the longest day of the year, people would bring in one big palm fron into their home to celebrate the longest day of the year. So they think that is actually the origin of the Christmas tree.
Speaker 2: Oh, okay, wouldn't that be in July for us?
Speaker 1: Oh? Well, the dates are all right. I mean everything else has been moved around for the Pagan calendar. But yes, yeah, it was all over the place.
Speaker 2: But yes, okay, so well, yeah I did end up not. I just I didn't not like this movie in any sort.
Speaker 1: I I double negative. That's tricky. What do you I don't know what you meant.
Speaker 2: I did it, I wasn't. I I liked it, but I didn't. I didn't love it, right, and I definitely didn't hate it.
Speaker 1: Right. Okay, I kind of feel the same way. But let's do let's see what some other people thought, and let's do some real reviews. And I think I have the five star. This is from Karen Way to Go.
Speaker 2: Karen.
Speaker 1: Karen s has a five star. She said, when the Christmas Tree was on, the phone rang it was my mother. I had picked up the phone without really thinking. All I said was that the best Christmas movie ever was on and I could not talk right then and hug up the phone, not answering again until the show ended. I have a big flowering crab that grows in front of my house that gives me so much pleasure during every season, and I sometimes think of it as tree. I agree with others. Why do they not replay this movie on TV? Five stars?
Speaker 2: All right? So what do you got related to that?
Speaker 1: It struck her right where she lived.
Speaker 2: Yes, she's in that whole wheelhouse of she is talking to plants. Awesome, I talked to plants. I have a really good friend who like sings to them. She puts good music out to her. I'll tell you she does have quite giant vegetables like bell peppers and cucumbers.
Speaker 1: Or is that an aphemism?
Speaker 2: If I ever meet her, I knew you were gonna say that. I'm like, he's gonna say I didn't want so. I tried to put in bell peppers first.
Speaker 1: I want to meet Sabrina's fram with the big vegetables.
Speaker 2: But she really does she puts out like I feel like she puts out. I don't know. There's a certain she's got big vegetables and she puts out, Oh my gosh, oh my god. All right, moving on to this one star getting will out of the gutter here all right? This one star review is from Peter J. It's about a nun and a tree and a guy. Who befriends them both. Not much more to it than that. Kind of true, Peter.
Speaker 1: It's kind of true, Peter.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't give it one star, but it's kind of true, Peter, kind of true.
Speaker 1: Well, we are now to the wonderful portion of a program that is, of course Sabrina's favorite every week, which is our feature. We do get a bit of a break today though, because your your nemesis producer Jensen Is he took the week off. He is is a bit under the week he did. So we have a new a new crew that's going to be helping us out this week. And this feature is entitled Him or Her So IMDb incorrectly credited comedian Colin Quinn as Tom in this movie when it's actually just a different actor with the same name and one extra L in their name. To commemorate this mistake, we will get the born government names of five famous people that are coincidentally also the names of another celebrity. We have to figure out what name they change their name to. If we get three out of five, we win. Does it mean like what the other Michael Jordan changed their name to something else and then have become famous? So it's like, what did the other Michael Jordan change their name to? Is that what it is?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's Michael B. Jordan, right, Okay, well I.
Speaker 1: Think Sabrina might have already gotten the first one. So let's see if we're right. So the first min so is Michael Jordan, then Michael B. Jordan. Correct, Okay, so that's one. The so number two then is Kate Hudson. So there's a second Kate Hudson.
Speaker 2: I think I don't know why I want to say Katie Hudson.
Speaker 1: Really, I was gonna say Kadie, maybe Katie Holmes, but no, she would be before, wouldn't she Kate? Who would come after Kate Hudson? Kate, I don't know, I'm gonna say Katie Holmes.
Speaker 2: Okay, you're both incorrect.
Speaker 1: It's Katie Perry.
Speaker 2: Oh I don't know.
Speaker 1: So how the hell are we supposed to just guess random people? This is the worst game ever?
Speaker 2: Well, like, if you know, I mean, because I know of Michael B.
Speaker 1: Jordan's I'm right, But that's an easy one. This one Kate Hudson. I didn't know that was changed.
Speaker 2: So Katie Perry's original name name was Kate Hudson.
Speaker 1: Okay. The other Albert Einstein. Oh, I know this. It's Albert Brooks. Okay, who is he Albert Einstein?
Speaker 2: No Brooks.
Speaker 1: Oh, Albert Brooks is a is an actor, huge actor. He was in Defending Your Life and I mean a thousand different things. You'd recognize him if you saw him. Am I right? Is it Albert Brooks?
Speaker 2: Yes, you're correct.
Speaker 1: The other Michael Douglas. I'd say Kirk Douglas, but that's just his dad. Yeah, Michael, maybe it is, though maybe he's a junior.
Speaker 2: Maybe maybe Kirk.
Speaker 1: I don't think k I'm gonna go with that, Okay, Michael Douglas. She's gonna say Kirk Douglas. I'm gonna say Michael B. Jordan. No, see Michael Douglas would go to Oh God, I don't know. I don't know who it is.
Speaker 2: It's okay, it's Michael Keaton. Oh whoa Okay, okay.
Speaker 1: And finally our last one is we mercifully come to the end of this difficult game. This might as well have all just been math. I know the other Elizabeth Mitchell, an actress from Lost. I'm going to say Elizabeth Moss.
Speaker 2: I have no idea it's Elizabeth Banks. Oh yeah, so you guys bought I don't know who. Yeah, we lost.
Speaker 1: This is a terrible game, whatever happened, and knowing what a turkey is and bowling things and my god, oh my okay, well.
Speaker 2: There we go school. I do love knowing that Kate Hudson was actually Ka Perry.
Speaker 1: There you go, and Elizabeth Mitchell was actually Michael Douglas. What are the chances of that? Can we do some sabrinas.
Speaker 2: We can? So I don't actually have a ton here that we didn't already kind of go over. The first one was what is this man's COVID gold? And why isn't he protecting anyone else from?
Speaker 1: Why is he trying to kill us?
Speaker 2: There was just to meet. Their relationship kind of had a lot like whenever they were on screen him in Beth, their relationship had a lot of quirky what is going on? What can't really I couldn't really figure out the dynamic they made it seem by the time they were actually dating that they had kind of date. Like when she was giving him the ultimatum, it seemed like she had she was giving him that he had known that she was dating or like interested in him for a long time, where it wasn't played that way earlier in the movie. No, but she comes in when he's on the phone and she's interrupting him so much. I want it. I felt like when Monroe gets comes into the room and needs like a glass of water and I'm on the phone, and I was like, I wanted him to just like pull his phone back and be like, who.
Speaker 1: About the same thing.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh. That I was very upset again about that first kiss. Then there was this weird from the They come back from you know, commercial break or whatever, and they're now in a full blown relationship at this cafe eating breakfast together. She comes out of nowhere, then sits and you can tell they had already been eating. And then the bill comes and then he's looking around for his wallet. She then pays the bill, which I was like, she just pays the bill. He totally thinks that's normal. They get up and not that that's bad. It's not that girls can't pay, but it's just like it was that. And then like she had the key his key for his apartment. Yeah, he didn't even have this weird Yeah, he didn't have his key. He kept like looking for anything. It was this weird dynamic that that that scene. I kind of was like, I don't understand and again at that point and to figure out how long they've now been together. But that was just like a really frustrating part for me the movie. I couldn't get over it. And then they did another thing which I hate when people do. It's not just if I'm toasting, if someone else toasts, when they go, you know, cheers to something, you know, cheers to us, and then the other person they're cheersing does a different cheers. So he said, or she said, cheers to Sister Anthony. You know, he had talked to her about getting to use the tree. She says, cheers to Sister Anthony, and he goes cheers to tree. I was like, can you just that job irritated me. But I hate when people do that. If someone does a toast, oh let them have the toast, and.
Speaker 1: You can't wait to do that too. I can't wait to do That's gonna be my new favorite thing is you and I if we ever cheers together, I'm just gonna do something just totally random. I can't wait.
Speaker 2: So bothersome their relationship was so weird start to beginning. That's what I'm meaning is at the end of the movie when they're now together. Even then, they've got these weird, little dynamic things that I'm like, this relationship isn't The trees can put up in Rockefeller, but this tree, this relationship is doomed. We are chopping it down. It's been three months after Christmas.
Speaker 1: It's so strange.
Speaker 2: It's gonna go to Valentine's Day and then boom.
Speaker 1: And we're done, and we're done. Well, he's got so many other dates.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he'll move on anyway. That was it.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well those are good, and I agree the not knowing the timeline of the relationship. It was a strange relationship. I didn't get tooting for you exactly. I don't care for this at all. Anyway, We now have to rate the movie, and it's one out of ten, of course, one being the worst, ten being the best. Some day we're gonna switch that up, but for right now we'll keep one being the worst and ten being the best. This week, we've got a number of options. How about one out of ten trees named tree, one out of ten terrible Rockefeller HR departments, one out of ten cures for the plague one out of ten, Plumber Loves one out of ten, Embracing of bark one out of ten, Jerk Grove Christmas trees one at tend, slow running nuns one out of tend, some dudes named Evan or one out of ten tree prayers. I'd like to add one out of ten different cheers. What would you like, Sabrina? You pick this week?
Speaker 2: Oh man, I think I'm gonna do one out of ten cures for the plague.
Speaker 1: You got it. I think you went first last time. I can't. Okay, I did, so I will go first this time. I feel like you. This movie had a lot of holes in it. Time wise, it made no sense. The acting was wonderful. Obviously Sally Field directed the movie. I get what they were going for.
Speaker 2: It did not.
Speaker 1: It did itself a disservice bike being saying it was a Christmas movie, if that makes sense, because you're expecting one thing. You know, if somebody tells you I'm going to give you a donut and then they give you a bagel, even if it's the best bagel you've ever had, you were expecting a donut. Yees, So I was expecting a big Christmas movie, and it just kind of wasn't that being said, I didn't hate it. I found myself openly crying at one scene. So I'm gonna go with six point five cures for the plague for this movie, and I think that's fair. Frankly, Yes, yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's actually kind of high for you when you're when you seem to be in the middle you.
Speaker 1: I like the acting.
Speaker 2: I liked the acting was really good. I liked the flashbacks. Those were probably my favorite party and they looked nice.
Speaker 1: They were all kind of sepi atone they all looked yes.
Speaker 2: It was easy to tell that that's what we were doing. One of my supreacies I just popped in my head the little girl that was the Bully. She did look like she belonged in that era at all.
Speaker 1: She wasn't dressed bull the nineties.
Speaker 2: Yeah she did. She did not fit. So that was actually my first one. It's some of the popped up goings. Why this girl where she?
Speaker 1: So?
Speaker 2: I did like the I liked the flashbacks and the storytelling. Although it was kind of funny to think, first of all, writing a letter in general is so weird in this point where we are here in twenty twenty four. But uh, even that, I thought that was like a different way than her just telling him the story face to face to be able to kind of go back and get some more backstory. So all of that made me like it the movie a lot. I just really didn't, I guess, find that connection that I was hoping to get. And like I said, I'm a big Christmas story lover, and so I think it was the lack of even if we went through the Christmas season and they didn't get the tree, we didn't see what season it was at all.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was strange.
Speaker 2: It was not until the very final scenes and I was looking for Christmas for the ninety two minutes that I watched that movie. Yeah. That being said, I'm going to give it six cures for the plague for me and hopefully he gets some good antibiotics.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we'll get him something to help him out.
Speaker 2: Get him hell out.
Speaker 1: So we're right in the same area there. Thank you so much for joining us as we watched The Christmas Tree. And remember to subscribe to our feed. You just search for Magical Rewind wherever you get your podcast and subscribe and follow along and you can follow us that magical rewind pod on the Instagram machine, by everybody,