Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio Our two.
Speaker 2: On this Meet Friday Dan and the Dan n Stan Patrick Show. He's Christopher McDonald. You know him as Shooter McGavin Happy Gilmore, Happy Gilmore two. It's being released today on Netflix Satura. The Day Always brought to you by Panini America, the official trading cards of this program. Football is back in the best place to hear and watch great football coverage is Mike Florio, Chris Simms, and beginning July twenty eighth, the latest news from training camps Every morning on Pro Football Talk Live. Starts at seven am Eastern on Peacock, which is where you can also find this program. Thank you for downloading the app. A little bit later on, we will talk to Jimmy Graham, the former tight end just announced his retirement and he rowed a boat across the Arctic Ocean with some other people to raise money, so we'll talk to him about that experience. And Derek Henry running back. Now that Adam Sandler has said that he's gonna put Derrick Henry in his next movie, maybe the motivation isn't there for two thousand yards, So we'll talk to Derrick Henry about that eight seven to seven three DP show email ADDRESSDPA Danpatrick dot com, Twitter handle it dp show. By the way, best odds to win the national title in football this year? I just saw this DraftKings sent this to me. There's and it's the usual suspects here, But this team has the best odds to win the national title this year. How about we go around the room. I'll let the dan Nets guest. The Minister of Humor, Fritzie is here. Seaton, Marv Paul yours truly Todd your first guest guest for college football title odds.
Speaker 3: The Texas Longhorns.
Speaker 2: They are second, PAULI. The Georgia Bulldogs they are third. Seatan Ohio State Buckeyes are number one. Marvin Ohio State. Yeah you got it right, Yeah, alright, he's got it right. So it's Ohio State, Texas, Georgia, Penn State, Clemson, Oregon, Alabama, and then Notre Dame. I believe we'll be at the Notre Dame USC game coming up in the fall. Yes, Paul OSU is interesting. Ohio State. I don't think they've decided on a quarterback yet. And the two guys are deciding with amongst have like forty snaps between them. It's not like a Will Howard situation or a fifty year senior transfer situation. It is a Meet Friday. It's chicken bacon, avocado sliders, sesame crusted Ahi tuna sliders, and Marvin asked for banana pudding. Who has it better than we do?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 2: Nobody? Wait wait wait wait wait wait?
Speaker 5: Are we not all in on this?
Speaker 6: There wasn't a harmony there.
Speaker 2: Who has it better than we do?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 2: Oh okay, I prefer chocolate. Come on, we got to get the harmony. Like Crosby Stills, Nash or the Beach Boys.
Speaker 6: They show that warm up video of the Eagles getting ready before concert.
Speaker 2: It's yes, alrighty big movie. Maybe you've heard of it. Happy Gilmore Too. It's available now on Netflix and one of the stars is Christopher McDonald. He is shooting. McGavin joins us on the program, take me back to let's go back to the original. What were you told when you auditioned for Happy Gilmore.
Speaker 7: I'll be honest with you. I did an audition. I just I sat down with at him. I laughed for forty minutes and said I've got to do this. I've got to work it out. I've got to get back up here with my family and I can do this crazy funny story.
Speaker 2: But how much of the character are you allowed to toy with?
Speaker 7: Oh, he let me play I mean Dennis Dugan, our director, let me play a I goofed around, Like I said, I came up. I didn't know why they called him shooting McGavin, but you know, I knew he was preppy.
Speaker 4: And the first thing we did, of course, was on I was you know, you touched you one more time, I'll burn your house down, and just on ashes.
Speaker 7: These are great lines. And then the whole thing like piece of shit and rivers. All that stuff was really funny. And then I just had libat know and things like that they left in, which I thought was terrific.
Speaker 4: There's like several other little moments in the movie that they allowed us to do that.
Speaker 2: How long have you been working on the sequel?
Speaker 4: Let's see twenty nine years? That too long? Unbelievable.
Speaker 7: Every time I saw it, it was like, come on, man, I know it. I can't be the only one saying let's think it's equal, let's do this. But he would always go yeah, I don't know, man, I mean you were thinking about him love to shoot you and then we would just have a good lap. And I love the guy. He's just got a hard as big as Texas. And I know that the time, when the time was right, him and Tim Early, he his partner writer would pull it off, and they did with greater plumb So grea such.
Speaker 2: It's such a character, it's such a role that I don't know if it impacted other roles that you got because people saw you as Shooter mcgammon.
Speaker 7: I think that happens Dan, because if you're really good at one thing that people really respond to, they like to repeat that in Hollyweird. So I did a lot of it, and I turned the first couple of ones down and like went, no, this is a different guy. How does he think?
Speaker 4: How does he?
Speaker 7: So I went through the whole like good training as an actor, and I thought, well, I'll build a different background.
Speaker 4: I'll find out.
Speaker 7: You never can hit, you never can hate who you're playing it. Yeah, I mean you can't be it. Yeah I'm a jerk, but I don't think I don't think I'm a jerk, right, So I have to find out a way there you get around.
Speaker 2: There, see I the Thelm and Luise role really stood out. That that's the one like, how do you get that character of your you know you're her husband, and I mean you don't come off as the most confident guy.
Speaker 5: Know.
Speaker 7: That was a really fun movie, A game changer in a lot of ways. Sandler said that was the reason when he saw Darryl Dickinson. I said, that guy's great. You got an athlete, he's funny, he's also a jerk, and it's on a good level. So they were they were looking out and he said, I always wanted to. I want to win Chris McDonald for this, so that all worked out. But boy, that funny, funny movie. Really Scott I swear almost ruined a couple of takes because he'd laughed so much. And it was one of those things where I did audition for that one, and to go in there and hang out with him and make him laugh was a big, big deal for me. And I was offered all kinds of jerks after that, but got the game going.
Speaker 4: So it's all good.
Speaker 2: You cornered the market on being a jerk. Huh, you're really really good at it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, thank you, Thank you. I'm very, very proud of that.
Speaker 2: But that's Brad Pitt's first movie bo right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, that Brad Bitch.
Speaker 7: He replaced Billy Baldwin who went off to do their Fire movie with with Kurt Russell and Iron Howard.
Speaker 5: And I.
Speaker 7: Gotta say Brad Pitt was perfect for this role. He came in, he was new, but he was just ready to play. There's a lot of them I had living in that as well. Where with that whole scene where I love your wife, I like your wife would I would have ripped his head off.
Speaker 4: They had two security guards on me, pulling me back and say can we do more? Because this is too good? I wanted to kill him, I really did. It was really funny.
Speaker 2: Happy Gilmore too on Netflix today, Christopher McDonald shooting McGavin joining us on the program The Uh. You've been in some sports related movies. You were in sixty one played mel Allen. You were at Bols Dwayne Johnson Show, you played Jerry Jones. Yeah, Now would you study Jerry Jones to actually beat Jerry Jones.
Speaker 7: I've known Jerry Jones, as you know, as the owner of the Dallas Cowboys forever. You know, America's team, they say, and all this stuff, and I just didn't.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 7: I got a visual of him, which always helps. The right wardrobe always helps the intention behind him. He's a bright guy, uh, And it was really fun to play that kind of guy who had that kind of power. So I that's what I studied about his personality, and and I was just blown away. How wonderful and great a guy that Rock is. He's a really good actor too. So where do you see him in this Smashing Machine?
Speaker 4: I saw the trail. Did you see the trailer?
Speaker 5: Dad Crazy?
Speaker 4: It's really good.
Speaker 7: It's gonna it's over at Venice right now, I think. And uh, the guy who directed it was Benny Safti, who played the guy in this movie who's the you know, the bad guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I was shooting my scenes in a studio in New Jersey and Benny was on the other side of the studio, so we would he would do his takes. There's a there's a scene in the office, and I'm on the other side. So when he would get done, then they would stop down and then I would do mine, and then so we kind of went back and forth. So I got to spend very talented guy, him and his.
Speaker 4: Very talented guy and very very I did a lot of pr with them.
Speaker 7: We sat together and just bantered back and forth, really quick mind, really talented director and a really fun actor.
Speaker 4: And boy I liked I liked your Pat Daniels with the mustache. Oh yeah, yeah, you pulled that off pretty good.
Speaker 2: Well. Sandler kind of you know, labeled me. He profiled me. I was a police officer in a lot of his movies with a mustache. And I said, look, I'm being type cast here. I got to get out of this. So I'm going to break out. I want to play a sportscaster.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 4: Oh that's really fuddy.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So Sandman created, he does, he does. He writes me into every movie. I think it's been twenty two movies. So I'm very fortunate. Now I'm going to ask you, Chris, being a famous actor here, when I die at the Academy Awards in Memoriam, Yeah, should my name be put up there in Memoriam?
Speaker 4: I think absolutely. But your chance to are fifty to fifty. It's a fifty to fifty.
Speaker 7: Because you know what, there's so many people. I mean, I don't want to get morbid here. But a boy, we just lost so many great people in the last you know, even two months, Michael, Maxin elm and Luise Got.
Speaker 4: I mean, I'm a dear friend anyway.
Speaker 7: I don't want to go dark here, but but yeah, they in Memoriam is one of the big things that we all watch. And there's a gorgeous song that goes along with it. And I think you put your time in, you paid your dues. I think Pat Daniels has got to be up there.
Speaker 2: And then Patrick give me give me the cameo in Happy Gilmore too. That surprised you, all right.
Speaker 7: How many crazy all the golfers. First of all, all the golfers blew my mind. I walked into the in the room. I told the story, but I walked into the room and I went, oh it not it was my day off, but I had to go in there. All the legends were there, and the legends and training went I've got to go in. So I waited for the you know, the the lighting change they were doing and why the room was just buzzing around. And I walked in and from the back table, Jack Nicholas, Sir Nick Faldo, Corey Pave and all these guys are going shoot and they pulled the guns up. I thought, I said, freeze this moment in my mind. And then of course the guy's in the Scheffler and everybody else and j T and all the guys, we're going to pull the guns out too.
Speaker 4: So it was a very funny entrance and I'll never forget it. It was pinch me time.
Speaker 2: But you can't get away from that.
Speaker 4: Well, the shooter sort of lives in me now. I can't.
Speaker 7: I can't walk anywhere like in New York City, forget it. It's like shoot up, but mostly they wait I at airports, don't do it as I walk by, and then they go shoot on and I'm like, you know, four feet past them.
Speaker 4: I just kind of go throw up the guns and just keep walking. It's too funny.
Speaker 2: Congrats on helping get this done, Chris. I appreciate it so Over the.
Speaker 7: Moon, I got to tell you, Dan, it's just thrilled. All the guys in this movie were they mean, All the the golfers showed up, they kicked ass. They were just so funny. And I love Scottie Sheffer's little button on the end of this movie. He was good enough to like make fun of himself with the arrest, and I just I just hope it breaks Netflix as that big boxing match did.
Speaker 4: That would be great these people watch it. Thank you, Bud, my pleasure, Dan, thanks for having me brother that.
Speaker 2: Shoot McGavin Christopher McDonald and the movie comes out today. What I was told by Samman is Travis Kelcey was great as far as like truly acting. He thought Travis Kelcey really stood out. I mean, there's a lot of people in this movie. And I was getting phone calls from people saying, hey, can you put in a good word. Guys in the golf community were saying can you put in a good word for me? With Sandler, And one of the guys was Nick Foudo. And I said to Sandman, I said, hey, Faldo reached out, he wants to be a part of this, and he goes, okay, Danny. Then I don't what happens after that. Then all of a sudden, when I get on set, Sandman told me that, you know, Foudo had been there, but Jack Nicholas Eminem, I mean, there's a lot of people in this movie, and I texted him last night. It was like nervous. San Lu goes yes, but it's exciting, so hopefully you like it. Hopefully you're entertained by it. Let's see. You know, we talked about this prior to the start of the show. If you could be in a movie, small role, okay, any movie? What movie would that be? Now, you know, they're kind of like small roles like I have. Actually there aren't small roles, they're just small actors like you. I take my scene and I you know, I steal the movie. Yeah, it's called elevation, is what it is. I'll take it and then I'll raise it to another level. Todd, what movie would you want to be in?
Speaker 3: I narrowed it down to three, but I'm going with Willie Walka and Chocolate Factory. What that role would be exactly, I'm not sure, but I would love to have been in that in some fashion.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but yeah, but the whole premises what role would you be.
Speaker 1: If I had to be a smaller role?
Speaker 3: Could not be one of the stars. Maybe the the guy who works in the candy store or owns the candy shop where they're all running in, you know, grabbing chocolate and lollipops and stuff.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, Seaton, what about you, small role, big movie. What would you want to be in.
Speaker 8: I would want to be a small role in good Fellas. Now that's kind of like the easy answer. But yeah, like there's a lot of small roles in there that make big impacts, whether it's like Spider or Stacks or you know, there's a lie one of the people that ends up dead. You know, like I could be Uh was it Frankie Carbone who's hanging in the meat?
Speaker 2: Oh? Those are all those are great roles. Those are awesome. You know. I love Marvin small role, big movie.
Speaker 9: The Eddie Murphy movie, Boomerang. John Witherspoon is in there for a mile five minutes.
Speaker 2: You got to coordinate, coordinate.
Speaker 9: Yes, he plays David Allen Greer's dad at Thanksgiving dinner.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry.
Speaker 9: That is the one seed for me as far as the role. He steals that movie.
Speaker 2: All right, all right, I respect that coordinate boom. Oh yeah that's funny.
Speaker 6: Uh, I just watched it again the other day. Jaws is one of the great movies of all time. I want to play the role of the mayor who wants to keep the beaches open.
Speaker 2: He is a.
Speaker 6: Classic jerk in a movie. Great flick, it'll be around forever, the Mayor and Jows.
Speaker 2: We'll talk to Derek Henry. He'll join us in an hour from now, after Sandler saw him at the premiere on Monday night, New York City and said, you're in my next movie. So we'll talk to the Ravens. Running back up next, the former tight end Jimmy Graham, and just to announce his retirement. But he's certainly been very busy in retirement. He'll tell you about that right after this The Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio wapp.
Speaker 10: Hey, we're Covino and Rich Fox Sports Radio every day five to seven pm Eastern. But here's the thing, we never have enough time to get to everything we want to get to.
Speaker 11: And that's why we have a brand new podcast called over Promised. You see, we're having so much fun in our two hour show. We never get to everything, honestly, because this guy is over promising things we never have time for.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you blubber list name in me.
Speaker 10: Well, you know what it's called over promise. You should be good at it because you've been over promising women for years. Well, it's a Cavino and Rich after show, and we want you to be a part of it. We're gonna be talking sports, of course, but we're also gonna talk life and relationships. And if Rich and I are arguing about something or we didn't have enough time, it will continue on our after show called over Promised. Well, if you don't get enough Covino and Rich, make sure you check out over Promised and also Uncensored by the way, so maybe we'll go at it even a little. It's gonna be the best after show podcast of all time.
Speaker 11: There you go, over Promising. Remember you could see it on YouTube, but definitely join us. Listen Over Promised with Cadino and Rich on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: Stat of the Day is always brought to you by Panini America, the official trading cards of the program. Say good morning if you're watching on Peacock or you're listening on our radio affiliates around the country. Jimmy Graham announced his retirement former NFL tight end. He was a pro bowler five times, played football and basketball at the you, and he's been busy in retirement. He just recently completed the Arctic Challenge ten days, rowing over five hundred and eighty four nautical miles, breaking a record. That's not retirement, Jimmy, that's work. How did this come about? Oh, how are you doing that?
Speaker 5: It's good to see you. Good hear from you.
Speaker 12: Basically, my best friend, he was a Seal Team six and he got his NBA from Cambridge right before he retired, and he'd been trying to get me to roll cross the ocean for a year. So I was at his I was at his graduation, and we're at a pub in Cambridge, and uh, you know, over a few is when he finally broke me down and and got and got me to agree to it. So that'll be the last here, well one, that'll be the last time that I ever agree to do something to the pub.
Speaker 5: But basically, so we teamed up with the Huppies.
Speaker 12: They're professional rowers and Andrew he wrote at BU So basically over a year.
Speaker 5: And a half ago is when I had to learn how to start rowing.
Speaker 12: So we started first in kind of like small shells, and then we moved on to like a kind of an ocean like a like a coast rower, and then we moved on to our boat that we ended up crossing the Arctic in which was a logistical nightmare obviously getting the boat from.
Speaker 5: Miami to Norway.
Speaker 12: And rowing is absolutely one of the most brutal sports I've ever done, a full body workout, and when you're doing it twelve hours a day for ten days, it's it's it's extremely exhausting.
Speaker 2: Any moments where you go this was this a bad decision.
Speaker 5: For me.
Speaker 12: I think it was from the start to the end. You know, you know, football's fun, Practicing football's fund. Lifting weights is fun. You know, there is a big competition. But when you're sitting on a row boat that weighs eight hundred pounds all carbon fiber, and you know the c state is six point five meters, the waters twenty six degrees and you're burning nine thousand dollars a day, there is I don't think there's any joy in.
Speaker 5: That for me being But for me, it was all about the kids, you know, it was all about the raise.
Speaker 12: We ended up partnering with Covenant House and a lower sports for kids, and so we raised a bunch of money and we're gonna be closing that raise at the end of the month. So for me, I just stayed focused on why I was doing it and try to complain as little as I could.
Speaker 2: Weather an issue.
Speaker 12: Yeah, I mean, if you know, whenever I took a look at this, you know, I realized how important the weather aspect was. You know, me being a pilot, obviously I know weather very well, and then I live on a sailboat, so the seamanship aspect of it. That's why I was lee Comm's lead weather and lead navigator. So we took a route that nobody had ever taken, and that was all based off weather models, and that was all based off sea states. And then we had one of the best weather models in the world. We basically had the eight team for this, and he's out of the UK. He does the weather modeling for the UK national team, the Olympic team. His name is Simon Row and so me and him were contacting each other twice a day for ten straight days, and what we would do is he would send me the weather models for the next seventy two hours, so we would set the boat up seventy two hours ahead or forty two hours at forty eight hours ahead, sometimes not even going in the direction that we needed to go, so that once we got heavy winds, heavy weather, we were able to surf down these waves and get some push.
Speaker 2: You're also doing something. You're at the EAA Air Venture in Oscosh right now. So this is the largest airplane show in the world. So there's over six hundred thousand people who attend, over ten thousand airplanes. But you're helping in a role that Chuck Yeger once had Harrison Ford saly Sollinger providing free flights to kids to introduce them to the world of aviation. And the program has already provided over two and a half million free flights. What made you get into this?
Speaker 12: You know, throughout my career and really throughout my life, I've had just a big passion about flying.
Speaker 5: You know, I always wanted to be an aviator.
Speaker 12: I wanted to be an F sixteen F twenty two pilot. We really F sixteen when I was a kid, but unfortunately, you know, I grew to the freakish hid at six sevens So in high school I realized that was kind of not there for me. So once I got drafted, first ten years of my career. I went to flight school, so I have ten licenses, and then I started giving Winny Warrior flights, started flying a lot of underprivates kids. And I ran into this program the many many years ago, over a decade ago. And then I was brought in by the greatest airshow performer ever lived, SHAWD. Tucker, and he was a chairman. He made me co chairman, and now I have just complete passion of pushing this program. You know, we have abandoned pilots all across the country. Each year, we have flown seventy thousand kids for over three decades. And what we do is we use the program to expose kids to the airspace technology industry and have become pilots, engineers, and mechanics. The airspace technology industry is really hurting right now for those type of employees, so we really pushed kids into that. And it really takes just one flight.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 5: There's so many kids that I've met or really grown men and women now.
Speaker 12: Or airline pilots fly F twenty two's six teams, and they tell me that their first flight was at fourteen through the Young Eagles, you know, so this program has has has changed lives and it's been a true privilege to be a part of it.
Speaker 2: We're talking to Jimmy Graham, former NFL tight end, five time Pro Bowl player, and why did you wait this long to announce your retirement.
Speaker 12: You know, I still had a bunch of teams calling and and uh really yeah, I mean it was more about the playoffs, you know, in case of an injury. You know, I mean I'm still six seven and I could still run a fade.
Speaker 5: So you know, I mean, I mean, I think I'll be able to catch fades for the next ten years.
Speaker 2: But you know, I contacted you last year during the playoffs.
Speaker 5: Well I'm gonna keep that.
Speaker 12: Well, well, it was teams that were contacting me early, and I told them, listen, you know, hit me up in the playoffs if you end up having an injury. So it was it was teams prior to the playoffs. It was early in the season, you know, But for me, it was it was more the effect of, you know, the one thing that I'd never done is I never played in the big game. And you know that's the one thing that that that always escaped me. You know, I was on amazing teams with amazing amazing teammates, amazing coaches, and it's it's sometimes so hard to get to that game, you know. You know I've been close, you know, NFC Championship, Aaron Rodgers, you know, obviously Luke Wilson and Seattle with a legion of boom. We had an unbelievable team. And then you know some of the historic teams that we have for the Saints. You know, twenty eleven is the remembrance of that big loss in San fran and Candlestick after I scored with a minute twenty four to go left in the clock. So you know, it's it's one of those things where it kind of eats at you, you know, especially when you've always chased it. You know, that's all you cared about was winning, and to never get that experience, never even have the opportunity to play in a game, you know, it kind of sits with you a little bit.
Speaker 2: Do you think you've done enough to be considered for the Hall of Fame?
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 12: You know, I know that, you know, my time in New Orleans and Seattle was pretty special. You know, I know I still carry all their records. I know that big knee injury really hindered me. And then you know, obviously going to some run first teams sometimes it is very difficult.
Speaker 5: But you know, because that that wasn't the type of player I was.
Speaker 12: And I think I think sometimes, you know, the overall stats can kind of peek out. You know, I think maybe hopefully one day I could limp in.
Speaker 5: But you know, for me, I did.
Speaker 12: I did everything I could and and you know, for me to come from the for me to come from the basketball court and to have the opportunity to have a team that believed in me when a lot of people didn't, and what happened afterwards, you know, being a starter year or two and then you know, going to Pro Bowl that year and then just the just the magic that me Andrew Brees had together. Uh, you know, the magic that we RUSS had our last two years there, back to back Pro Bowls. You know, I think, uh, those are the things that I'm going to remember. Those are things that I'm blessed for. And you know, Mickey told me that I'll be going to ring the honors one day for New Orleans, and you know, just to be up on that ring with those great players and all my teammates that I was, what's going.
Speaker 5: To be enough for me?
Speaker 2: Who was the best player you played against in college and basketball? Wow?
Speaker 5: Well, that that list is pretty deep.
Speaker 12: I would say the best best player that I played up against, I mean Tyler Hansborough and you know in his dominance in college basketball was pretty incredible.
Speaker 13: Uh.
Speaker 12: Me and him had some battles for sure where I was found found a mess out of him and I was all over the place with him. I would say the one that really stood out for me was when I my freshman year JJ Reddick in Duke at Duke with Sheldon Williams setting all those illegal screens.
Speaker 5: That team, you know that team, and just to see the way that coach k demanded, uh a perfection from his guys. Uh, you know how they responded to him.
Speaker 12: And then to go into that stadium and and you know have you know, take the ball out and there's hands just like waving next to your face.
Speaker 5: You know, that's a memory that I'll never look at.
Speaker 2: The different biggest difference between Aaron Rodgers, Russell Wilson, and Drew Brees is.
Speaker 12: What, Yeah, Aaron Rodgers is the best to ever throw the ball. The way he throws the ball is insin. You know this the way he flicks his wrist and the ball carries fifty yards. You know, it's something that when you first get on the team. You know, even Devoncea Adams will tell you, anybody will tell you your first year on the team, it's hard to track the ball because it's got so much spin on it and it's got so much carry to it.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 12: And the way he throws his long ball is basically when it goes up, it's it looks like a punt because it's coming straight down, which is which is very unique.
Speaker 5: I'd say Russell Wilson. The thing about him is he's so dynamic on the run.
Speaker 12: That was something I really had to get used to. Was there's the initial play and then there's a play after. And the way to get the ball is you get open first, but you got to get open second and third, and you got to keep running. And at the time being two eighty five, uh, you know, it took me a lot of lumbering to restart the the old diesel engine.
Speaker 5: But you know, his ability to run, and then obviously his deep ball.
Speaker 12: He has a very special deep ball, one of the most accurate, unbelievable and then obviously, my god, Drew Brees. There's not enough to say about him, the way he led, how much time he put into it. I would have Drew Brees because you know, before we didn't have you know, our plays and just a full playbook and video on our iPads at home over Wi Fi. So Drew Brees would uh, he would watch film in the tight end room. And there were so many times where I got a video at nine thirty at nine of him showing me a clip and then him showing me their defense and him showing me, hey, we're going to make this adjustment if if they play you like this and they want to undercut you and have a guy over the top, you're going to wrap it inside.
Speaker 5: And it's not even a route basically.
Speaker 12: And sure enough we were in San or San Frank comes home and they're playing me like this against Pete Willison.
Speaker 5: I do this double move and I just wrap it around balls right there.
Speaker 12: I mean, his attention to detail, the amount that he put into it, the sacrifice that he made it made me better because you know, you have to show up every day willing to work that hard.
Speaker 5: He's first in the building five.
Speaker 12: O'clock he's leaving at nine thirty, ten o'clock at night. I had never seen somebody work so hard in my life, and obviously it showed on the field.
Speaker 2: Did Tom Cruise reach out for top gun? Maverick?
Speaker 5: That no?
Speaker 1: In there?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 14: And I was so hurt.
Speaker 12: Honestly, what an unbelievable movie, you know, I mean, that's that's a movie that really steered my life. You know, back I think the original was in nineteen eighty six, so when it came out, I was so hurt. I mean, just to be an extra in the background would have been a life dream. So you know, hopefully one day that they'll make another one, and you know I'll be I'll be the old guy in the background just and so so I'm gonna keep working on my flying and and hopefully for the next time I get a call.
Speaker 2: Okay, what's your call sign? You like, there's Maverick and Goose and.
Speaker 5: Man, I've got so many nicknames.
Speaker 15: Uh.
Speaker 12: I guess I guess Avatar was was on the original. But but I guess I guess everybody calls me him or himmy.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 12: I don't even know, you know, I'm the him himmy himmy because I'm him.
Speaker 5: That's that's what they used to say. But when it comes to it, uh.
Speaker 12: I'm actually the honorary commander of the sixteen makers down the Homesteads. So in the next six months we're gonna have a big party and and that's when I get my call signed.
Speaker 5: So I'll definitely get back on and let you know what it is.
Speaker 2: Good. Hey, congrats and congrats on retirement and everything that you're working on now. Great to talk to you again.
Speaker 5: I really appreciate it and I'm looking forward to seing it.
Speaker 2: You have a go at Jim Jimmy Graham, Himmy Him. I'm like, wait, why did they call you that? I'm him, five time pro bowler, played basketball and football at at the U. A couple of phone calls in here Aaron and fort Wayne hi erin what's on your mind today?
Speaker 14: Hey Dan, thanks for taking my call.
Speaker 16: I just got done watching the movie.
Speaker 13: I just got to say you you.
Speaker 5: Look great in the movie.
Speaker 14: Your part was was fantastic, and I just got to say I really enjoyed it and I really love your show. And you know, I was like watching the other day.
Speaker 5: It brings me to my next point.
Speaker 17: You look so good.
Speaker 14: Your stash is so good.
Speaker 16: The tan is so good.
Speaker 14: Don't retire, Dan.
Speaker 16: We need you for needs you And I found I found a quote.
Speaker 14: From you and you said you wanted the Dan to experience what it meant to win a Sports Emmy. And I think you want to see that dream come true. You want these guys to experience something at another level.
Speaker 2: But uh, all right, well, thank you for the compliment. I have not seen the movie, by the way, but uh, I'll get around to it. And what if we win the Sports Emmy next year? Then do then we retire?
Speaker 5: Then?
Speaker 2: Oh, I can't do a year early. If you're watching on Peacock, there's a picture of me. That's what I look like in the movie. Sandler insisted on me having a mustache there and uh, yeah, well, and that that's before I get started. If you're you're watching Sandman came in and and Sandler's there the whole time. Sandler is there for every every scene, and he'll help you with your lines. He'll go, Danny, try it this way. He'll just throw out stuff, Danny, try how about this? Uh, and then he'll say you got any suggestions? And then he let me do a couple of takes on my own. But you know, he very generous that way and easy to work with. Uh. But I mean it's not like we're doing Shindler's List, you know, it's basically, let's have some fun.
Speaker 6: Yeah, pauling that picture, it's kind of a nod to Uh. There's a couple of years where Walter Kronkite, the great broadcaster, had a mustache and you got a Walter Cronkite thing going.
Speaker 2: Mmm. I don't know if I was channeling that. Plus, that picture isn't very good. It looks like I have three chins there when Sandler is there with me. Yeah. Ston, I'm going to.
Speaker 8: Put up on the website. Now, maybe we'll kick this around a little bit. Which character that you've played is the most like you?
Speaker 2: Oh? I have four options for you. Okay, I'm going to need your help for.
Speaker 5: Some of these though.
Speaker 2: TV Yeah, yeah, yeah. We'll take a break and then let me give some thought to this that of all my movie roles, all the great movie roles that I've had. Uh, and uh, Derrick Henry will join us coming up next hour. We'll take a break. We're back after this.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup. And then catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 2: King Zawan wants you to welcome summer and remind you sliders of the perfect meal for summer grilling. Slide into the weekend Kings Ofwan. We have them on the menu today with Kingsawan Sliders, the chicken bacon avocado in the sesame crusted Ahi tuna sliders as well. We'll talk to Derek Henry in a half hour from now. A couple of things to slide into the weekend with It's the Blue Jays and the Tigers. Trek Scooble will be on the mound coming up this weekend. Tigers haven't played well recently. Blue Jays are leading the East. Dodgers will be at the Red Sox. Clayton Kershaw will be on the bump, as they like to say, the WNBA. It's the Aces and the Wings. So Paige Becker's pages averaging eighteen game, nice little jump from college to the pros. Asia Wilson averaging twenty two a game. Formula one is in Belgium, max verusvin Lando Norris. I'm taking Lando Norris to win and The Happy Gilmour Premier comes out today, so that's sliding into the weekend. Courtesy of the great folks at king Sawan. Go to Kingswaian dot com all your recipe inspirations. We'll have best week in Sports. We'll have that for you coming up as well. Al in Atlanta, Hi, Al, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 16: Good morning? Dan's got a couple of things. I know it's the end of the airs, all be as quick as I can. A little hurt that you and Marvin want to put the Falcons in the garbage are great category because we all know they're going to be great, and if they don't make the playoffs, I'll come to Milford and sit in a dunk pig of ice water and let all of you guys throw football as a dunk button every commercial break and never get off the eat. Also, Jimmy Graham may be fit through that. His call sign should be moro on because he's the only person who ruined dunking on the goal post by bending a goal post and making a game odd. I'm so hurt and you made me sit through that, Dan.
Speaker 2: It hurt me personally right now, all right, Hell, keep your head up have a good weekend. There might take al up on that if the Falcons don't make the playoffs. Scott in Oregon, Hi Scott, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 18: Good morning guys, Happy Friday. Thanks for having me on the show. First time, long time five eight one seventy. I am a big Cardinals fan, Arizona Cardinals, and I had an idea maybe for a segment if you guys would be interested in doing it on Fridays as we head into the weekend and we have thoughts about things we'd love to see. I think there could be ideas.
Speaker 2: Like wouldn't it be cool?
Speaker 18: So, just as an example, as a Cardinals fan plays Campbell re signed with Arizona Cardinals this year. He played for eighteen seasons and his first season was with the earson the Cardinals obviously as a Orgie and he they made the Super Bowl that year, but they haven't done anything close to that since. But since then he's won all kinds of honors including you know, the Walter Pateon Man of the Year, so on and so forth. So my via is kind of like, wouldn't it be cool if Kalaius Campbell before he retired, got that Super Bowl with the team that he was originally drafted with.
Speaker 5: And that's my thought.
Speaker 2: Take it off off Hereday, thank you, Scott, thank you. We'll give your thoughts some thought. Thank you. How about the best week in sports? Who has their best week in sports? Nominees? Oh Todd raised his hand quickly. I feel good in sports.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I feel good about the Milwaukee Brewers. They've won twelve their last thirteen. But since it's the last week. They did sweep the Dodgers in LA in this recent past week, first place in l Central Game ahead of the Cubs sixty one and forty one Milwaukee Brewers look out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's been an impressive run since uh mid to late May.
Speaker 5: Seaton.
Speaker 2: Who had the best week in sports in your opinion? I'm gonna say it was, you know me to come back to Jimmy Graham. Jimmy Graham, Jimmy thought this week in sports he rode across the Arctic Ocean. Yes he did, and that's very impressive. Marvin who had the best week in sports?
Speaker 9: Maybe not as a team, but show hal Tani. He's been on a tear lately, so he's had the best week in sports. Not the Dodgers to show Hale Toni by himself.
Speaker 2: All right, Paul, who had the best week in sports?
Speaker 6: This is a bit convoluted, but you mentioned Paige Becker's the Dallas Wings. She's having a great season. She was the National Player of the Year as a freshman. Then she got injured and Caitlyn Clark took all the coverage for years and years. And it's ironic and I didn't wish for it, of course, but Caitlin Clark being out this year has given an extra spotlight to Page Becker's rookie year that she may not have gotten as much of if Kitlin were playing.
Speaker 2: Good week, Yeah, good week for Page? Yeah?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 2: Will in Florida, Hi, Will, what's on your mind?
Speaker 13: Hey, Hey, good morning. Was just calling y'all talking earlier about the movie that you'd like to be a part of, and I'd like to share mine. I'd like to be in Fast Times at Ridgemont High and play the part of Brad because I got a lot of experience in that role.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Will, delivering food, his gavering fish and chips hired out with it. That's what Yeah, Judge Reinhold, Judge Reinhold, I remember we got a hold of him. We were talking about that movie, and all of a sudden, I said, Fritzy, reach out and see you can get Judge Reinhold. And we had nothing planned, and then all of a sudd Judge Reinhold joins us and talks about that scene in Fast Times at Richmond High. Adam in West Virginia, Hi, Adam, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 17: Hey?
Speaker 9: Dan?
Speaker 13: On the movie Rolls, I think the Sixth Sense with Donnie Wahlberg.
Speaker 14: I'm forty four years old and that.
Speaker 2: Still cares me.
Speaker 5: And Matt Damon and euro Trip.
Speaker 16: Scotty doesn't know Man.
Speaker 13: That song lives rent free in my head because of that.
Speaker 2: Good choices there, Adam, Good choices. Scotty in Florida, Hi Scotty.
Speaker 17: Hey Dan, five eight bucks sixty. Perhaps a future poll question, do you spell Scotty with a Y like I spell it? Or Scotty with an ie like Scottie Scheffler spells it. But the small part that I would like to be in a movie, and I'm going to classify this at a mid major. I want to be Paulie from all the Rocky movies.
Speaker 2: Okay, Man, Bert young Sprice Fritzy didn't take that since he there's a slight resemblance to Bert Young. It's too close to home. Is that why you shy away from that? Because you don't think you look like Burt Young?
Speaker 3: Yes, that's exactly what actually.
Speaker 2: Joe and Washington, Hi, Joe.
Speaker 16: Hey, fellas.
Speaker 15: Just I know we're talking about movies, but I want to quickly switch the conversation to music. I know we normally do best worst weekend? Can I give you a best of a week night?
Speaker 2: Hurry up?
Speaker 17: Okay.
Speaker 15: I saw Steven Wilson Junior this week and Spokane and it was the best show I've ever been to in my life. And I have you guys to think because this show is how I found out about him.
Speaker 16: Thank you guys so much.
Speaker 2: Oh that's great. Yeah, if you get an opportunity to see Steven Wilson Jr. A wonderful, wonderful perform and we were glad to have him on the show and give you an opportunity to sample his music, and we hope to see him coming up this fall. Derrick Henry will join us coming up in about twenty five minutes from now, final hour Dan Patrick's show