Speaker 1: Aw Zon Media.
Speaker 2: Hello, Well, welcome to Better Offline.
Speaker 3: I'm your host ed zitron, of course, and I want to start you off with a little bit of a question. Have you ever heard Sam Moltman, the CEO of Open AI speak, you ever heard the words come out of his mouth? Look, I'm gonna share with you today some of the trench and insights from Sam Moortman. I'm gonna start with this agonizing thirty seven minute long podcast conversation he had with his brother Jack Oltman from last month. I warn you he really is an annoying and stupid dickhead.
Speaker 4: Well, I think there will be incredible like other products, like there will be crazy new social experiences. There will be like Google Docs style AI workfloths that are just way more productive. You'll start to see like you'll have these like virtual employees. But the thing that I think will be the most impactful on that five to ten year time for him is a I will actually discover new science.
Speaker 3: Yes, this tech podcast is now actually a food podcast, and today's special is the word salad. When asked why he believes AI will discover new science, Altman says, I think we've cracked reasoning in the models, adding that we've got a long way to go and that he thinks we know what to do, adding the open AI's three model is already pretty smart, and that he's heard people say, wow, this is like a good PhD. And that's the entire answer. By the way, it's a completely nonsensical answer. Sam Altman, the CEO of open Ai, a company allegedly worth three hundred billion dollars to venture capitalists and soft bank, can he kind of sounds like a huge fucking idiot. But head you cry, you can't just call Sam Altman an idiot. He isn't stupid. He runs a big company, he's super successful. My counter to that is, firstest I can, I'm actually doing it right now. And second, if Altman didn't want to be called stupid, he wouldn't say stupid shit with a straight face to a massive global audience now when he's rather Jack asked, so reasoning will lead to science going faster or just new stuff or both? And by the way, that is the question, Sam Oltman said.
Speaker 4: I mean, you already hear scientists who say they're faster with AI, Like we don't have AI maybe autonomously doing science. But if a human scientist is three times is productive? Using three that's still a pretty big deal.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And then as that keeps going and the AI can like autonomously do some science figure out novel physics.
Speaker 3: At this point, Jack Oltman asked if and I quote, that is all happening as a co pilot now, And I know it sounds like I may have maybe misunderstood him. Maybe I read the transcription.
Speaker 2: I didn't. Actually I listened to the whole thing.
Speaker 3: In fact, Matasowski, my producer, please play the clipping question.
Speaker 4: Is it all that happening as a copilot right now? Yeah, there's there's definitely not like you definitely can't go say like hey CHATGYBT figure out new physics and expect that to work. So I think it is currently copilot. Like but I've ever heard like anecdotal reports from biologists where it's like, wow, it really did figure out an idea. I had to developed it a little bit more, but it made like a fundamental leap.
Speaker 3: Now, this is a nonsensical conversation, and both of them sound very, very stupid. To be clear, none of this is like poorly put into context, like they sound like this with the entire thirty seven minutes. I didn't have to do anything. I didn't need to make many moves to make them sound like stupid dickheads. They sound like it on their own. Now let's go to some of the more quotes. So, so this is going to make new science or make science faster, asked Jack Altman.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I hear scientists are using AI to go faster and citation needed there, Sammy. But if a human scientist goes three times faster and need another citation there using my model, that would be good. Also, I heard from a guy that he heard a guy who did biology who said this helped. And that's what Sam Mortman fucking said. Even even reading back the transcript, I feel what little of my sanity remains kind of stripping away. All of this is so good and so phenomenal. Let's give this man forty billion dollars or more every year until he creates super intelligence.
Speaker 2: That'll fucking work.
Speaker 3: But I want to share with you some of the other incredible quotes from the genius mind of Sam Ortman, A person with the integrity of Deepak Chopra and the ability to dismount innane, vapid shit. That sounds impressive to morons like well, Depak Chopra.
Speaker 4: You know, you hear these stories of people who like use AI to do market research and like figure out new products and then like email some manufacturer and get some dumb thing made and sell it on Amazon and run ads. Like there are people that have actually figured out a small scale and the most point ways possible how to like put a dollar into AI and get the AI to like run a toy business. But it's actually working. Yeah, so that'll climb the gradient.
Speaker 3: Now, you may wonder if the gradient is mentioned at some point elsewhere it's it's not but isn't clip.
Speaker 4: So every year before the last like maybe up until last year, I would have said, like, hey, I think this is going to go really far, but it still seems like there's a lot that we've got to figure out and is another clip if something goes wrong, I would say, like somehow it's that we build legitimate superintelligence and it doesn't make the world much better, doesn't change things as much as it sounds like it should, and just one more so, Yeah, I think the relativistic point is really important. But like you know, to us, our jobs feel incredibly important and stressful and satisfying, and if we're all just making better entertainment for each other in the future, maybe that's kind of what at least one of us is doing right now.
Speaker 3: It's goba doogook. It's nonsense. It's bullshit peddled by a guy who is only the most tangential understanding of the technologies, companies building that made him a billionaire. Every single interview with Sam Oltman is like this, every single one ever since he became a prominent tech investor and founder, without fail every time. And the sad part is that so Mortman is alone in this sunda. Pishai, when asked one of Neli Patel's patented one hundred word plus questions about Jonie Ivan Sam Wultman's new and likely heavily delayed hardware stop, had this the same.
Speaker 1: I think AI is going to be bigger than the Internet. There are going to be companies, products, category is created which we aren't aware of today. So I think the future looks exciting. I think there's a lot of opportunity to innovate around, innovate around hardware form factors at this moment with this platform shift, So I'm looking forward to seeing what they do you know we are going to be doing a lot as well, and I think you know, it's an exciting time to be a consumer, it's an exciting time to be a developer, So I think looking forward to it.
Speaker 2: The fuck are you on about, Sundar?
Speaker 3: Your answer to a question about whether you're anticipating more competition is to say, yeah, I think people are going to make the ship we haven't come up with yet, in a hardware of some sort will be involved. Well, I think Pashai is likely a little bit smarter than Clammy Sammy, in the same way that such A and the Della is a little bit smarter. That's sun up for Shai, and in the same way that a golden triever is smarter than the chiuahua. Well, that said, none of these men are superintelligences, nor when pressed, do they appear to have any actual answers or regular intelligences. Now, if you've read the newsletter version of this episode, you'll come across a multi paragraph answer from satching Adella when asked on Dwarkesh Patel's podcast how Microsoft will reach one hundred and thirty billion dollars in revenue from AGI. I'm not going to read it out here, and I don't hate you enough to include a clip. But the question was, how do you get Microsoft to one hundred and thirty billion dollars in revenue and such? In this the dello's answer is like one hundred and fifty words, and it's like abundance explosion. GDP will grow industrial revolution inflation adjusted percentages. The winners will be the people who do stuff, and then productivity will go up. I will link to this in of you in the episode notes because it's fucking nonsense, just like the rest of them.
Speaker 2: And I have this idea.
Speaker 3: I have this concept I've come up with, and it's that we need to stop idolizing these speciously informed goobers. Well kind of souls or Zitron haters may hear this and say, I am actually Satannadanna's very smart. Stop I want to stop there, and I suggest that you have a smart person who comes along and tells you what smart sounds like. A smart don't mean long words and nothing. It means actually knowing the sheet you're talking about. And look, really, a truly smart person should be able to speak clearly enough that their intent is obvious and clear. Now it's tempting to believe that there's some sort of intellectual barrier between you and the powerful, that these confusing and obtuse things they say, that's the sound of genius, rather than somebody who has learned a lot of smart sounding words without ever learning what they mean, but ed they're trained to do this. I am someone who has media trained hundreds of people, and there's only so much you can do to steer someone's language. You can't say to one, hey, man, can you sound more confusing? You can, however, tell them what not to talk about and hope for the best. Sure you can make them practice, Sure you can give them feedback. But people past a certain stage of power or popularity, you're going to talk or whatever they want. And if they're big stupid idiots pretending to be smart, they're going to sound exactly like this. Why because nobody in the media ever asked them to explain themselves. When you've spent your entire career being asked friendly or friendly adjacent questions and never having someone say, wait, what does that mean, you'll continue to mutate into a pseudo communicator that spits out information adjacent bullshit. I am to be clear, being very specific about the question what does that mean? Powerful CEOs and founders never ever, ever get asked to explain what they're saying, even when what they're saying barely resembles a sentence, let alone an answer. But let's get clear here. Let's think about a hypothetical scenario where your friend just said the dog died. You'd say something like, oh, no, what happened? And they, let's say, they responded with, well, my dog had a tragic yet on ultimately final distinction between their ideal and non ideal stage due to the involvement of a kind of automatic mechanical device. And when that happened, we realized we'd have to move on from the current paradigm of dog ownership and into a new era which we both feel a great deal of emotion about, and see the opportunities With them. You'd probably be a little confused and ask them to explain what they meant. You'd ask, what do you mean by an automatic mechanical device? What does that mean? They then reply with yeah, exactly, And that was part of the challenge. You see, like the various interactions we have in our day that are challenging. We see a lot of opportunities in their sailing those challenges. But part of the road to getting around them is facing them head on, which is ultimately what happened here.
Speaker 2: And while we were.
Speaker 3: Involved, we didn't want to be and so we had to make some dramatic changes. At this point, you still don't really know what happened. Did a car hit their dog? Did they hit their dog with their car in this scenario, would you not say, damn man, that sucks. I'm glad I have such a smart friend. I don't know what happened They're dog though, or would you ask them to explain what they're saying? Would you perhaps ask what it is they meant? Look, Pajai Altman, Nadella, They've always given this kind of empty brained, intellectual slop in response to questions because the media coddles them. These people are product managers or management consultants, and, in Altman's case, a savvy negotiator and manipulator known for and I quote and absenteeism that rankled his peers and some of the startups he was supposed to nurture as an investor at y Combinator. According to The Washington Post and by Coddle, I mean that these people are deliberately engaging in a combination of detective work and amnesia, where the reader or the listener is forced to simultaneously try and divine the meaning of their answer while also not thinking too hard about the question the interviewer asked. Most importantly, because the interviewer forgot already. Look at most modern business interviews. They involve a journalist asking a question, somebody giving an answer, and the journalists saying okay and moving on to the next question. Occasionally he's saying, but what about this, when the appropriate response to many of the answers is to ask them to simplify them so that their meaning is clearer. Look at to them, Listen to them now. A common response to all of this stuff is to say that interviewers can't be antagonistic, and I just don't think a lot of people understand what that actually means. It isn't antagonistic to say that you don't understand what someone said, or that they didn't answer the question you asked. If this is antagonistic to you, you are intellectually speaking a giant, fucking coward, because what you're suggesting is that somebody cannot ask somebody to explain themselves, which is what an interview is. And I imagine nobody really wants to do this because if you actually put these people on the spot, you'd realize the dark truth that I spoke of a few weeks ago, that the reason the powerful sound like idiots is because they're idiots. They sound like business idiots and create products to sell to business idiots, because business idiots run most companies and by solutions based on what the last business idiot told them. Now, I know some of you might hear this and say, these people can't be stupid. These people run companies, they make big deals, they read all these books. And my answer is that some of the stupidest people I have met in my life, I have read more books than you or I will read in a lifetime. Well, they might sound smart, or they might be smart when it comes to corporate chess moves or saying this product category should do this. None of these men, not Altman Pshire on the Della, actually has a hand in the design of the creation of the things that their companies make, and they never ever, ever, ever, ever ever have Regardless, though I have a larger point, I believe it's high time we started mocking these people and tearing down their legends as geniuses. They're not better than us, nor are they responsible for anything that their companies build other than their share price, which is a meaningless figure, and the accumulation of power and resources. These men are neither smart nor intellectually superior, and it's time to start treating them as such. These people are powerful because they have names that are protected by the press. They are powerful because it is seen as a kind of unseemly to mock them because they're rich and running a company, a kind of corporate fealty that I find deeply unbecoming of an adult. We are, at most customers. We do not owe these people anything. We are long past the point when any of the people running these companies actually invented anything they sell, if anything, they owe us something because they're selling us a product, even if said product is free and monetized by advertising. While reporters, as anyone, should have some degree of professionalism in interviews or covering subjects, there's no reason to treat these people as special, even if they have managed to raise a lot of money or their popular product is used by a lot of people. Because if that were the case, we'd have far more coverage of defense contract to Lockheed Martin. They made one point seventy one billion dollars in profit last quarter and haven't had a single quarter under a billion dollars in the last year. I realize them being a little glib, but the logic behind covering open ai is at this point they make a lot of money and they have a popular product, which is also a fitting description of Lockheed Martin. The difference is that open ai has a conceiverer product that loses billions of dollars and Lockheed Martinis products that make billions of dollars by removing consumers from the earth. Both of them are environmentally destructive. Covering open ai doesn't seem to be about the tech, because if you looked at the tech, you'dn't to understand the tech. You'd see that the user numbers weren't there outside of the five hundred million people using chat GPT and of course referring to the general AI industry, and of those five hundred million people, very few are actually paying for the product, and that the term user encompasses everything from the most occasional person who looks at chatgpt dot com out of curiosity or the people using it as part of their daily lives. If covering Open Eye was about the tech, you'd read about how the tech itself doesn't seem to have a ton of mass market use cases, and that those use cases aren't really the kind of things.
Speaker 2: That people pay for.
Speaker 3: If they did, there'd be articles that definitively discuss them, versus articles in the New York Times about everybody using AI. The boil down to I use chat gpt as search now and I heard a guy who asked it to teach him about modern art.
Speaker 2: Yet man like.
Speaker 3: Warrio, Dario Amide and Clammy sam Altman continue to be elevated because they're building the future, even if they don't seem to have built it yeah, or of the ability to clearly articulate what the future actually looks like. Anthropic has now put out multiple stories suggest that it's generative AI will blackmail people as a means of stopping use and from turning off the system, something which is so obviously the company prompting its models to do so. Every member of the media covering this uncritically should feel ashamed of themselves. Sadly, this is all the result of the halo effect of being a guy who raised money or a guy who runs big company. We must, as human beings, assume these people are smart, that they've never mislead us, because if we accept that they aren't smart and they will willingly mislead us, we'd have to accept that the powerful are well bad and possibly unremarkable assholes, And if they're untrustworthy people that don't seem to be smart, we have to accept that the world is deeply unfair and caters to people like them far more than it kates to people like us. We do not oh Saturn and Della any respect just because he's the CEO of Microsoft. If anything, we should show him outright scorn for the state of Microsoft's products. Microsoft Teams is an insulting mess that only sometimes works, leaving workers spending fifty seven percent of their time either in teams, chat teams, meetings, or sending emails, according to a Microsoft study. Mis dot com is an abomination read by hundreds of millions of people a month, bloated with intrusive advertisements, attempts to trick you into downloading an app, and course ey content that may or may not be AI generated. There are few products on the modern Internet that show more contempt for the user, other than, of course, the former Skype, a product that Microsoft languished for more than a decade, so thoroughly in gorged with spam that leaving it unattended for more than a month left you with one hundred undread messages from Eastern European romance scammers, and Microsoft has finally killed it in May. Great jobs, sature your fucking platt Anyway, products like Word and Excel don't need improving, but that doesn't stop Microsoft from trying to bloat them with odd user interface choices and forcing users to fight with prop ups that use an AI powered copilot that most of them hate. Why exactly am I meant to show these people respect because they run a company that provides a continually disintegrating service. Because that service is such a powerful monopoly that it is difficult to leave it if you're interacting with other people or businesses. I think it's because we live in hell. The mong tech ecosystem is utterly vile. Every single day, our tech breaks in new and inventive ways. Our iPhones resetting at random, random apps not accepting button presses, our Bluetooth disconnecting our word process is harassing us to try and use AI while no longer offering us suggestions for typos and I'm referring to Google Docs. You're not insane, it's happening, and our useful products replaced with useless shit, like how Google's previously functional assistance were replaced with generative AI that makes them tangibly worse, so that Google can claim that they have three hundred and fifty million monthly active users on fucking Gemini. Yet the tech and the business media acts like everything is fine. It isn't fine. It's all really fucked. You can call me a cynic or a pessimist, or throw trash at me, or throw tomatoes, or try and hose me down when I go outside, or call me every name under the sun. But the steaks have never been higher and the damage never more widespread. Everything feels broken and covering these companies as if it is, and these insulting to your readers and your own intelligence. Look at the state of your computer or phone and tell me anything feels concruent or intentional rather than an endless battle of incentives. Look at the notifications on your phone and count the number of them that have absolutely nothing to do with information you actively need.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: As I wrote the newsletter version of this and this script, I got a bunch of notifications, and I'm gonna recount them because most of them are still on my phone. I have a notification for Adobe Lightroom, and app I use occasionally to edit photos that tells me to elevate any scene now, enhance people's skywater and more with quick actions. I don't know zero Cam, an app that brands itself as the first anti AI camera app where you capture moments, not megapixels, and got a ton of press about being this stripped down append notification asking if I took a photo today. Amazon notified me that there's a deal pick just for me a battery pack that I bought several months ago. Every single company that sends notifications like these should be mocked and possibly put in prison. But if we have accepted such vile conditions as the norm, I just believe that society is kind of lost. Apple should be target and feathered for allowing companies to send spam notifications, Yet they're not because by and large, Apple is less vile and exploitative than Microsoft, Google, and Amazon, who also get pretty much a free ride. Now, if you're listening to this as a member of the tech press, seriously, please look at your daily experience with tech.
Speaker 2: I'm begging you.
Speaker 3: Count the number of times that your day or a task is interrupted by poorly designed software or hardware, such as the many many times zoom or teams as a problem with Bluetooth, or a website just doesn't load, like sometimes Google youtype Google dot com into the bar and it just doesn't load. This also happens with other websites, like type something into your browser, it just doesn't work.
Speaker 2: Just happens. So cool.
Speaker 3: How about when software you're are the using either actively impedes you, like did you want to use AI who just refuses to work in a logical way, such as Google Drive? Look at this, you're covering tech, right, maybe you should cover that the tech ain't working so good. There are tens of thousands of stories like this every day, and if you talk to actual people you'd see how widespread it is, or maybe I don't know, see that it's happening to you. Look, I'm not trying to call anyone out, which is why I'm not using specific names, but there are people responsible here and the tech media writes about them every day? I realize it seems weird to constantly vent that a company is releasing broken, convoluted software. But hey, if you can write three hundred thousand stories about how crime ridden New York City is, why can't we write three of them about how fucked Microsoft Office is or Google searches, or even just one like one a month one?
Speaker 2: And why can't we.
Speaker 3: Talk to the people in power about it? Why can't we ask them questions? Is it because the questions are too hard to ask? Is it because it feels icky to interrupt Sachin and Deliacy waffles on about using co pilot his entire life by saying, hey, man, Microsoft teams is broken. Tons of people feel this way. Why is it so fucked? Or why have you let MSN dot com turn into an aislop hub or just a hub of disinformation?
Speaker 2: Oh no, you say, Oh no, I won't get my access. Oh we lose my access? Who gives a shit?
Speaker 3: Write a story about how Microsoft has become so unbelievably profitable as it products get worse, and talk about how weird and bad that is from the world. Ask the della those tough questions or published that Microsoft pr won't let you. These people are neither articulate nor wise, and whatever intelligence they may claim to have doesn't seem to manifest in good products or even intelligent statements. So I treat them like they're smart. Why show them any deference or pleasantries? These people have crapped up our digital lives at scale, and they deserve contempt, or at least earn fucking reception. Harry doesn't repeating myself again and again and again. But why is there such a halo around these fucking bozos?
Speaker 2: I'm serious? Why are we so protective of these people? Why we're more than happy to.
Speaker 3: Criticize celebrities, musicians, professional sports players, and politicians fucking barely, but the business class is somehow protected, outside of the usual willingness to say that Elon Musk might have maybe done something wrong. I'm also not denying their are critics. We have Molly White, We've got Edward and Guaso Junior, Brian Merchant, and a major outlet, no less CNN, one of the greatest living business writers in Alesson Morrow. I believe that tech criticism is a barely explored and hugely profitable industry if we treat tech journalism less like the society pages and more like a force to hold the most powerful people in the world accountable as they continually harm billions of people in subtle ways. People are angry, and they aren't stupid, and they want to see that anger reflected in the stories they read, and the meek deference we show to the dumb, fucking tech assholes is the opposite of that.
Speaker 2: As I've said before, we live in.
Speaker 3: An era of digital tenatus, nagged by notifications, warring with software ostensibly built for us that acts as if we're the enemy. And if we're the enemy, we should treat those building this software as the enemy. In return, we're their customers and they failed us. The entire approach to business owners in the tech media is ridiculous. These people are selling us a product, and the product fucking sucks. Put aside, however you feel about generative AI for a second and face one very simple point.
Speaker 2: It doesn't do enough.
Speaker 3: It's really not cool at all, and we're all being forced to use it rather than the obvious benefits that everyone claims it has, just making us do so. Now I realized some members of the tech media may want these people to succeed or want to be the person who tells everybody that they did so. I get that there are rewards for your promotions, new positions, TV appearances repeating exactly what the powerful did and why they did it, or a plush roll as a company's head of communications. But I am telling you your readers and viewers are waking up to it, and they feel like you have contempt for them and contempt for the truth. It's easy and common to try and dismiss my work as some sort of hater's bullshit, a cynical approach to a technustry that's trying brave new things, or some other such shit. In my opinion, there's nothing more cynical than watching billions of people get shipped increasingly shitty and expensive solutions and then get defensive of the people shipping them and hostile to the people who are complaining that the products they use suck. I'm angry at these companies because they have at scale torn down a tech industry that allowed me to be who I am today, and their intentional disgrace will moves film me for the disgust I've watched the tech media move away from covering technology and more toward covering the people behind technology, to the point that the actual outputs, the software and the hardware we use every day have taken a backseat to stories about whether or not Elon Musk's used as a computer, which is meaningless, empty gossip journalism built to be shared by peers and nothing else. And please please do not talk to me about optimism. If you are blindly saying that everything open ai does is cool and awesome and interesting, you want being optimistic, you're telling other people to be optimistic about a company's success. It isn't optimistic to believe that a company is going to build powerful AI despite it failed to do so. It's propaganda. And yes, this is also the case if you simply don't do the research to form a real opinion. I am not a pessimist because I criticize these companies, and framing me as one is cowardly and ignorant. If you're so weak willed and speciously informed it you can't see somebody criticizing a company without outright dismissing them as a hater or a pessimist. You're an insult to journalism or analysis, and you know it in your wretched little heart. My art sings with a firm belief in the things I think, founded on rigorous structures of knowledge that I've gained from reading things and talking to people, because something in me is incapable of being swayed by something just because everybody else's. You're assuming people are right because it's inconvenient and uncomfortable to accept that they may not be, because doing so requires you to reckon with a market wide hysteria founded on desperation and a lack of hypergrowth markets left in the tech industry, we're still in engaging with faux optimism. You're failing to protect your readers in the general public. And if that's what you want to do, ask yourself, why why do you want these companies to win? What is it you want them to win? Do you want them to be rich? Do you want to be the person that told people they would be first? What is it that you want? What is the world you want and what does it look like? And how does doing your job in this way work towards creating that world? This is an optimism. It's horse trading or strategic alignment behind powerful entities. It is choosing a side because your side isn't the reader of the truth if it was, even if you believe Generati, if AI was powerful, and that they simply didn't understand, your duty would be to educate the reader in a clear, certain, obvious way, and if you can't find a way to do so, acknowledging that and explaining why. True optimism requires you to have a deep, meaningful understanding of things so that you can engage in real hope, a magical feeling, one that could bore you through the most challenging times. What many claim is optimism is actually blind faith, the likes of which you'll see at a roulette or a crab's table, or of course, knowingly peddling propaganda.
Speaker 2: Breathehead, breathe.
Speaker 3: They can't get you behind the microphone anyway.
Speaker 2: We live in hell.
Speaker 3: As I've said before, just like Churchill once said, when you're going through hell, keep going.
Speaker 2: You're in the middle of a good rant.
Speaker 3: Keep ranting tube into the next episode while we'll pick this right back up.
Speaker 2: Thank you for listening to Better Offline.
Speaker 3: The editor and composer of the Better Offline theme song is Matttersowski. You can check out more of his music and audio projects at Mattasowski dot com m A T T O s O W s ki dot com. You can email me at easy at better offline dot com or visit better offline dot com to find more podcast links and of course, my newsletter. I also really recommend you go to chat dot Where's youreaed dot at to visit the discord, and go to our slash.
Speaker 2: Better Offline to check out our reddit. Thank you so much for listening.
Speaker 4: Better Offline is a production of call Zone Media. For more from cool Zone Media, visit our website Coolzonemedia dot com or check us out on the iHeartRadio
Speaker 2: App, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.