Speaker 1: You are listening to the Miami Dolphins podcast Network.
Speaker 2: This is Drive Time with Travis Wingfield. Back to throw to a looking clips about.
Speaker 3: A wide Dolphin touchdown?
Speaker 2: Trick call uncrelievable.
Speaker 3: Just blew by it for a second time.
Speaker 1: You knew where he was going right away.
Speaker 2: I want to hit that man.
Speaker 3: I want to help you.
Speaker 4: Someone will stup on his man.
Speaker 3: Away Wattle Wadle to a shotgun, back to throw, looking at them.
Speaker 2: Up myers touchdown. It's Waddle his sixth touchdown.
Speaker 3: Pass's the team.
Speaker 2: Drive Time with Travis Wingfield begins. Now check your pulse if you're not. What is up?
Speaker 3: Dolphins? And welcome to the Drive Time Podcast, part of the Miami Dolphins podcast Network, covering your team, your Miami Dolphins.
Speaker 2: How's it going to everybody? I am your host, Travis Wingfield.
Speaker 3: And on today's show, we continue the training camp pre series, stopping by the Edge Group, the guys coming after the Quarterback. We'll also hear from Jalen Phillips and Emmanuel Ogball on a busy edition of the Draft Time Podcast from the Baptist Health Studios inside the Baptist Health Training Complex. This is.
Speaker 2: The Drive Time Podcast.
Speaker 3: Maye geffysh Let's get right into my interview with Dolphins defensive end Emmanuel Ogba. What's up, guys, travispeakefuil here with one hundred yards again, Emmanuel Augba's my guest today. Let's go ahead and make our way towards the field house over here, em Manual. So you're coming back from last year off the injury. I have to imagine you're pretty fired up to get.
Speaker 2: Back at it.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, no, there's a long time wait and I can't wait to get back out there my brothers looking forward to this season.
Speaker 3: One of my favorite things about watching practice out here every day is watching coach Clark just kind of get a little bit animated. Tell us about what he's What's what's it like playing for coach Clerk?
Speaker 4: Oh, he brings the energy to the team. You know, he wants the best out of us, So you know he's out there yelling. He's trying to get under our skin because he knows we can do better. So that's one thing I like about.
Speaker 2: Course, he gets a good breush out of you.
Speaker 3: Guess that's for sure. So you guys heading out to Houston for joint practices this year, that's your hometown. You got the football camp coming up here next month, right, how's that going to be?
Speaker 4: Oh, it's gonna be amazing. We've got the football camp July eighth. Can't wait to see the kids. Came to meet the kids that was. We're going to have some kids that were here last year as well. But yeah, and also got the joint practice in Houston. I can't wait for that too. And all my family and friends are going to be there as well.
Speaker 3: So you have plans, are ready to meet up with the family when you get out there.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, already told her. I was going, Hey, whatever days we have off, No, I'm ready for that home Couick Meal.
Speaker 3: So you had the football camp coming up in Houston, but you also had the trip to Africa that you took recently this offseason. Did that kind of get you ready for some updated drills, maybe some updated practices there at the camp?
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, would say, mostly just inspise men to talk to the kids about certain things like you got to be grateful for your opportunity that you have that those kids don't really have much, and they're excited to be out there and listen and learn. Also some drills too that I learned a longer way too.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, So we got You know, you've been here for this is your fourth year, first year under coach Fangio. How's it been, kind of adapting to the way he coachesn't his scheme here on defense been?
Speaker 4: It's been unique because you know, he's a he's a genius on the defense. So you know, he's trying to put players in the best position available. So you know, I'm just going to listen and learn. And also you know I'm taking notes, you know, learning different position groups. So I'm just ready to go.
Speaker 3: So last year we saw Tyreek Kill get added to the offense, you know, an All Pro, but very much. Can I tell you how he's gonna beat you on the defense? Now you got a guy like ja and Rams in the back end. What's it like incorporating him personality wise and skill wise to that defense.
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's a talented player and we're happy to have him. You know, he's going to bring a lot to the defense and I can't wait to see him out there.
Speaker 3: He's gonna be fun to watch. So you got training camp coming up, trip back to Houston, anything else going on the summer?
Speaker 2: You're looking forward.
Speaker 4: To just training and getting back, you know, getting the tip top shake, coming to camp, attacking it.
Speaker 3: So let's go to go. How did the twenty twenty two season kind of prepare you for what's to come? Because obviously lots of adversity for the team, yourself personally, How does that kind of prepare you to take that next step next year?
Speaker 4: Because you never know when your last players, so you know you got to give it you all every single play, So you know, I'm just ready to go out there and just give him my all every single.
Speaker 3: Place and appreciate it.
Speaker 4: Man, Thanks, thank you, thanks for having me.
Speaker 3: And there he goes. One of my favorite people here inside the entire building. E Manual has been very good to me for very many years now, so appreciate you as always a manual. Let's go ahead and take our first break right here and come back on the other side and preview his position group, and then we'll also hear from Jalen Phillips.
Speaker 2: You don't want to miss that one.
Speaker 3: All of that and more next on the Draft Time podcast, your host Travis Wingfield, brought.
Speaker 2: To you by Auto Nation.
Speaker 3: Stop me if you've heard this before, but I think we're about to talk about one of the deepest and best position groups in the NFL. It does feel like we have several position groups that I feel that way towards with this.
Speaker 2: Miami Dolphins football team.
Speaker 3: But once I gave you the numbers and the details here, I think you'll agree with me. Number two, Bradley Chubb is where we kick it off in order of jersey number. And the Dolphins pass rush rate took off last year when Bradley Chubb arrived, and we thought it might signal more of a defensive shift philosophically, it didn't really do that. I think the new coaching staff in place this year will kind of see through, or see that through, I should say. And the production of Jalen Phillips went from very good to the one of the most consistent pass rushers in the NFL once Chubb arrived. Just look at the splits before and after all. The numbers are substantially better. I lost track of how many pressures Phillips had recorded in two point five seconds or less. But the ball comes out and sack production, you know, it kind of reminds me of like RBIs and baseball a little bit antiquated in terms of measuring an individual's prowess, because it's not an individual stat. If you whip your man one on one and the quarterback throws on a three step hitch up timing, that's out in one point eight seconds.
Speaker 2: What else can you do?
Speaker 3: I mean, you set the tackle up, you beat him with your move, and then the quarterback just got rid of the ball before you even had chance to.
Speaker 2: Get to him.
Speaker 3: That's there's nothing you can do about that. So I don't look at sacks as like the end all be all. Of course, they're important to get quarterbacks on the ground that to end drives, but consistently pressuring the quarterback typically results in more sacks. So it's process over results. And for Bradley, he's a multifaceted player. Hand in the dirt, stand up rusher either side, condensed inside loop inside off of the stunts and rush games win with speed off the edge rush. The quarterback on the way to the run does peek inside a little bit sometimes on the outside contain. We saw that in the Buffalo game a couple of times. But there's a reason he was a number five overall pick, you know a couple of years back. He is as physically getted as they come. He's lengthy, he's bendy, has good burst, a nice assortment of counter moves to deal with you know what guys might do to fort his original pass rush and get that second effort sack that is so crucial. He was top ten last year in pass rush win rate, which again goes back to the whole process aspect, like you can tangibly, you know, point to that metric and say, here's him winning his pass rush moves, just you know, the result is sometimes out of his control, and we saw that last year was number ten among edge rushers. He finished with fifty four quarterback pressures, had twenty eight of those with us. He had twenty five total run stops and eight total sacks twentyquarterback hits. Those are good numbers. I'm not really sure where this, you know, I guess thought comes that he wasn't productive.
Speaker 1: He was.
Speaker 3: He was definitely that for us, and I expected to be even more so here reuniting with Fick Fangio. The guy that I expect to have maybe the biggest year on the entire defense is number fifteen.
Speaker 2: Jalen Phillips.
Speaker 3: Speaking of good numbers, he had a breakout year Man, even though his sack total went down by one and a half eight point five to seven. He's also only a second Dolphin ever to start their career with two seasons of seven or more sacks. And this is why I don't think sacks tell the whole story. He has nine more quarterback hits. You know, from those two years sixteen to twenty five, he made nineteen more tackles, had better fumble production, two squatted passes more, and then the QB pressures. He ended the year fifth in ESPN's pass rush win rate among edges. He went from thirty nine pressures as a rookie, which is good, it's very good, up to seventy seven. Seventy seven pressures.
Speaker 2: That's a lot.
Speaker 3: That was six in the NFL, behind only Parsons, Bosa, Reddick, Crosby ends a Darius Smith.
Speaker 2: You understand that group that he's part of.
Speaker 3: There, I mean, I guess you can do what a lot of folks do with the two of stats you know on Twitter and tell me doesn't count because two was in there, Like, yeah, that's the class that he's playing among. It was four more than Miles Garrett. For what it's worth, the best edge rusher in the game. If you ask me, well, Parsons has made that a good debate, But I digress. Phillips was built in a lab, exceptional testing numbers by every measure, and it translates to football.
Speaker 2: He's dedicated to the craft and I think it shows.
Speaker 3: I mean, we saw the photo that went around the Internet of him popping the shirt off there at the end of practice the effort. How many times do we see a quarterback think they had the pocket escaped and cleared and a path for a big run, only to get flagged down from the back by number fifteen. He's got a rush arsenal that allows him to set guys up and then exploit overplays later on in the game.
Speaker 2: Like you keep on.
Speaker 3: Threatening that inside post, you get him to squeeze and then he goes outside at the speed. Very good game plan as far as his rush attack goes. He kicks inside and rushes from that three tech position. And I mean to have tape of you winning with speed around a tackle off the edge and then also so steamrolling a three hundred and thirty pound guard inside. I just think this is a rare type of player who we saw scratch the surface of star counting stats a year ago, and I think putting him in situations where he can get more one on ones without committing rushers, which is kind of where the ball comes out quickly because you sends seven guys. A quarterback knows I got vulnera blayers in the back end, I'll go ahead and just pop this thing out in two seconds, and Phillips is two point one. Pass rush is no longer viable, So just a quarterback hit, but you know, makes them more susceptible in the back end to send the rushers rushing just for should see those quick pressures when the ball comes out, turn those QB hits and hurries hopefully into sacks and game changing plays. He also added forty two run stops, which is also tied for six among his position group. Crosby Lawrence Bosa, Naosu, daneil Hunter, and Micah Parsons the names in that group exceptional exceptional football players here then Phillips number forty three Andrew Van Ginkle. I feel like every roster needs and Andrew Van Ginkle, and maybe that hair as well, probably every position of does pretty quietly goes about his work, has evolving roles that he just professionally executes.
Speaker 2: He's been a.
Speaker 3: Critical part of our core special teams really since his second year here. He stepped in in a pinch and given us sixty edge snaps, winning with critical pass rushes. Like think back to that twenty twenty game in Las Vegas where Kyle van Noy was down. He steps up and gets sixty snaps in that game and gets a couple of sacks, and I think even a I think a fourth funnel.
Speaker 2: I'm not mistaken.
Speaker 3: He's shown growth and effectiveness as a run defender each year, and he wins with this pass rush above league average rate. Phillips and Chubb will get the marquee when you talk about, you know this group as national spotlight goes, but you consider getting Ogbob back Andrew van Ginkel Malik read, it's not just in the discussion for best room and position group in the league.
Speaker 2: As far as the top guys goes.
Speaker 3: It might be the deepest too, because you have legit pass rushers four or five six deep here he's listed at two forty two. I remember doing a podcast with Andrew his second year when he was here, and he was like, we were talking about how he was stuck two hundred and seventeen pounds it with Conston, and that had been his focus those first few years, adding functional strength, and I think he's done that very well. He went from eight hundred and one snaps in twenty twenty one to three hundred and fifty seven last year, which coincides with a three to zero seven versus one oh six pass rush rep count, so you see that kind of drop off in playing time, but the efficiency was not very different. Forty five pressures compared to eleven, thirty eight run stops compared to eighteen. I think you pretty much know exactly what you get with Andrew when you put him on the field, and that's why I think it's important to have guys like him. He's a picture of consistency and he strengthens your depth in multiple ways. I mentioned to Malik Reid number forty seven already. I view him and Van Ginkle in relatively similar fashion, not necessarily their skills or play style, but rather in the quiet professionalism, the consistency of personality and play. Reid was a beast when he was with Fangio, and the only year where the statistic co didn't jump off the page for him was last year, and he was traded on like September fifth, to a defense that I don't think suited his skill set. To come up the depth chart as a UDFA and Fangio's first year, and to then earn four hundred and sixty eight snaps and produce twenty quarterback pressures on just two hundred and thirty four pass rush snaps, and then to go full time starter within the next year after that and go to seven hundred and thirty seven snaps and seven hundred and eighty five total snaps on defense, respectively, and to check in with thirty six and twenty seven QB pressures totaling thirteen sacks and twenty five quarterback hits. Like I remember reading a story about him and von Miller saying that Malik was the blueprint for how a player with that pedigree undrafted should go about his work coming into the NFL. Again, consistency, you know what you're gonna get in terms of production, work in the classroom, weight room, et cetera, et cetera, et cetera. You can make up a pretty damn good football team if you have fifty three guys just with those trades alone and you hear as far as what he does well, because I know a lot of you guys probably haven't you washed him play yet.
Speaker 2: You hear the term bend a lot.
Speaker 3: This guy has exceptional acceleration around the edge as he works under the bigger tackles. He's only six foot two. Most tackles go about sixty five r six five sixty six. He's compactly built, with excellent flexibility and strength to hold like, you know, to one leg it and kind of absorb a double team or a you know, a drive block. But as a pass rush, you see it in the way he gets around that edge and can kind of you know, show the flexibility in the lower half and stay on balance while he chops or rips and explodes around the corner, using the leverage of the tackle to gain acceleration as he does corner. He also has really good inside step and lateral agility to help execute games, and that pairs really well with his ability to play off the ball and drop into coverage because all of a sudden you have a player like I don't know if he's coming or if he's dropping, because he has the ability to do either on any given play. Big big fan of this acquisition. Number fifty Mitchell Agude the UDFA from Miami, coming off a very impressive OTAs where once we got to know Mitchell's story a little bit, it became a little more intriguing as he was playing better and better each day. He talked, you know, kind of a Spider Man meme nature of his similar path to Jalen Phillips UCLA UM to the Miami Dolphins. It's the burst that I'm most excited to watch here at camp. He played really damn fast and that helped create the production in those OTA practices. Now no pads can he parlay that into when the pads go on and keep ascending. You do that into preseason games, you get preseason production. That's how you find yourself making a fifty three meters roster. He notched seventy eight career quarterback pressures on seven hundred and sixty seven career pass rush snaps in college and seventy run stops in five hundred and twenty two snaps in the running game. So a very productive collegiate career. Number fifty three Cameron Good speaking of productive college careers, the former cal bear as in year number two, the former seventh round draft pick back in twenty twenty two also showed up with some splash plays and OTA's this spring after something of a red shirt rookie year. He played five years at Cal, though two of those were fractions of seasons because of an injury in twenty eighteen and the pandemic shortened season back in twenty twenty. But all things told, almost one thousand reps as a pass rusher in nine to ninety seven, got one hundred and six pressures out of that, twenty two hundred snaps on defense, with ninety seven run stops against nine hundred plays against the run number fifty six. Garrett Nelson another rookie, well not another one, but like a goody undrafted rookie. You know, it's funny. I keep talking about the waves of known commodities at this position that we have, and then all I can talk about was how good the rookies were in OTAs, And of course Chubb and Phillips didn't get a lot of run in those practices ogball as well. Garrett Nelson was another one, you know. Phillips mentioned Nelson and Aguda as two guys that really impressed him during OTAs. You might not find a hotter motor than Garrett Nelson. He's all effort, all the time. Go look at what Nebraska fans had to say about Garrett Nelson. They love this dude because he plays with his hair on fire at all times. He had thirty two quarterback pressures in back to back years the last couple of seasons to finish up his four year college stay. Also had thirty three run stops and twenty two to go along with that, so you know, effective in both phases of the game played nearly two thousand snaps up there in Lincoln, number ninety Randy Charlton, I keep thinking like Randy Johnson, Norm Charlton. My Seattle marriage influence there popping up here a little bit. I remember him most from OTA's when he broke the sled on the first day of practice. He began his college career at UCF for three years, then transfer to Mississippi State for two. There, he had fifty one pressures on five hundred and seventy seven pass rush reps and then forty one run stops on four hundred and thirty nine plays against the run, ending here with number ninety one. Emmanual Ogba really the only true even front defensive end down lineman on the roster. I never understand why this happens in football, but I always feel like people forget about players the year after an injury. With Ogba, that's going to be a mistake. He was top ten among edges in a lot of the major categories the PFF tracks his first two years here with the Miami Dolphins. After last year was cut short. We're not crafting depth charts here, but with Phillips and Chubb, there's a chance you could call Ogba like your number three rusher. And to have a guy who posted one hundred and twenty seven pressures and fifty six run stops in two years in that role, I don't think you'd find that anywhere else in the NFL.
Speaker 2: He's been a closer for us.
Speaker 3: That big pass rush when he had last year on the final Bills drive back in Week three, which forced a holding call that put Buffalo away behind the chains, and if they didn't lose those ten yards, they're proably kicking a field goal to win that game, or at least lining up to do so. When he gets those one on one chances, he usually capitalizes. Another example of the right, kind of guy, goes about his business, good leader, beloved in the locker room, does what he's asked. I'd be shocked if Emmanuel comes back totally healthy and doesn't have a big bounce back season.
Speaker 2: Man, this position group is freaking loaded.
Speaker 3: Man. Let's go ahead and take our last break rate there and come back on the other side. And hear from Dolphins outside linebacker Jalen Phillips. That's next Draft Time podcast, your host Travis Wingfield, brought to you by Auto Nation.
Speaker 2: What's up, guys?
Speaker 3: Travis Wingfield here for another edition of one hundred Yards with Travis Wingfield. Dolphins outside linebacker JAYM. Phillip showings me today, Jayden, how you doing?
Speaker 1: Man? Nor on Fantastic Cake and playing Man's Sunny Day and South Florida. Man, we living good.
Speaker 3: The heat is coming and going today mostly on, but we'll deal with as we go. So, speaking of the heat, you kind of broke social media the other day. The image came out of you after practice looking good. I'm curious, man, what's the workout regimen you have to put in to get looking like that? Man?
Speaker 1: It's it's a cumulative effect, man, Its years of lifting. Really, I guess ever since I got to you, I really started to kind of focus back on my body, and you know, ever since then, it's my kind of mantra is just to do more than what's required in me all the time. So you know, obviously we got our lifts in the weight room, but afterwards, you know, whether it's arms, whether it's core, whether it's some extra stuff. I'm always doing that. So man, a lot of it plays into diet as well. I mean I've been huge in my diet for the last couple of years. So ye, man, just trying to be the best I can and just you know, have the best performance on the field. So you know, you gotta look the part that's all right.
Speaker 3: I was gonna ask you how many times you can betch press me, but it might be more appropriate to ask you anytimes you get armcrill me from a buck sixty?
Speaker 4: Man, arm cool?
Speaker 1: I guess the bench actually be a better question. I can probably bench you about thirty times something like that. I did twenty one with two twenty five, So if you a few bucks sixty, I get you a smooth thirty.
Speaker 3: Sometimes I had to flight it might come something like that. You know, speaking of bench press. You probably don't do a lot of that, you know postcomby at least not measured wise. But you know you're going to year three now, last year valuable playoff experience for this team. Just curious from your perspective, young guy kind of coming into your own in the league. Now, what was that experience like for you and the team? You know, not just the playoff game, but down the stretch getting all those really important games. But I think that does for the twenty twenty three Dolphins.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it's huge, just preps us to be in that big spotlight. I think getting the exposure feeling in that playoff environment was really great for us. So it definitely kind of makes us hungry. It's like, once you get a taste of it, you really want to get back to it. So I'm excited.
Speaker 3: Speaking of a taste of We have a game in Germany this year. You told me before we got on the camera here you did some traveling in Europe back when you were a youth. I'm curious, so are you excited to get back in What parts of Europe did you go.
Speaker 1: To when you're younger. Yeah, I'm super excited to get back. I'm huge traveling fanatic. I'm just trying to go all over the world. So I actually went to Germany when I was probably twelve or so. My sister and I flew out there because my aunt was stationed on in an army base out there. So we went to Germany. A couple of cities in Germany, we did the Netherlands, we did Luxembourg, Austria, France. So yeah, culture shut out to my parents.
Speaker 3: Yeah, coast to coast, guy to UCLA in Miami, all the stuff. So obviously coming here this season, new defensive corner of Vic Fangie, I'm curious what excites you about playing in his defense?
Speaker 1: Oh man, I'm just excited because I mean, you've seen all the success he's had in the past, obviously with the D line linebackers back in, so I'm just excited to see it all come together. I think, you know, we needed something fresh, and you know, with a group of guys that we have and how close we are, I think that you know, it's just that one missing piece, one a couple of missing pieces. So I'm excited to see what happens. We've been gadling great so far, and I think it's gonna be a great season.
Speaker 3: You've been really well known for your work in the community down here so far, your first couple of years in South Florida. What have you been up to lately. I know you're a big part of the DCC. How's that been going for you?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's been great. I'm being a board member again this year. I did another one hundred miles again this year, so yeah, it doesn't get any better each time I do it, so but it's an amazing cause it's I wouldn't you know. I'll do it ten times over five too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, when you work out for football, like I always like my wife insanceays, did you different workout classes like that made me so sore? It's like, yeah, train for that muscle. Yeah, when you do football workout, it doesn't prepare you for a.
Speaker 1: Bike rider at all at all. Being hunched over in the saddle for five and a half hours is some of you really can't prepare for unless you are an active bike rider. Absolutely, maybe I'll train a little bit more of this offseason.
Speaker 3: It's very admable what you do with us here, So faith appreciate you time today.
Speaker 2: Absolutely really good stuff there.
Speaker 3: Once again, enjoy talking to all these guys. Like I said, you can you can get the feel for the type of player they want in the locker room based upon these conversations you have with the guys, because they're all just so humble and understand kind of the task at hand ahead of them, and I guess what comes with being a professional football player. It's been fun to get to know this group and cannot wait to get out there on the practice field. Let's go ahead and enjoy our last weekend before football starts, though. We'll come back on Monday and talk all things defensive backs, and we'll finish up on Tuesday with specialist and defensive tackles.
Speaker 2: In the meantime, that's going to be my time.
Speaker 3: You all, please be sure to subscribe to the podcast on Apple Podcasts.
Speaker 2: Leave us a rating, leave us a review.
Speaker 3: You can follow me on Twitter at LinkedIn NFL, follow the team at Miami Dolphins.
Speaker 2: Check out the fish Tank podcast with Seth and Jews.
Speaker 3: Check out our YouTube channel for media availabilities, Dolphins Today, and so much more, and last but not least.
Speaker 2: Miami Dolphins dot com.
Speaker 3: Until next time, Finns Up, Caroline Cameron, Daddy