Speaker 1: Cool Zone Media welcome. It could happen here. I am Sophie Lecter when I am the executive producer of all of Cool Zone Media, and I didn't have time to touch grass today, so this is the closest I'm going to get to that. And here with me leading the conversation will be James Stout. And also here is one of my favorite people on this entire planet, Allie Conger. James take it away.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Sophie. Magnificent intro. As Sophie said, we're here today to talk about grass. So no, really grass, but it's just like plants in general. I wanted to do an episode on having a little garden because I think it is a thing that would make people happy, and also it's a way to have food for yourself. It's not free, but once the plants keep growing, you don't have to pay any more for the food, so it's a nice thing to do. I enjoyed to grow plants, and I wanted to share that with you. Do you have little gardens? Molly and Sophie.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 1: Oh so.
Speaker 3: I moved to a new apartment last year and in sort of a rare and strange arrangement, my first floor apartment has like a little dirt patch. It's I think it was originally supposed to be where the HVAC units are, because it's like walled off by this sort of tall wall. It's this ten foot by ten foot pit, but the HVAC units are not there. So that's where I grow my tomatoes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, my porch is currently a fruit garden. I have a bunch of things starting in pots. I've got a lemon tree. I've got a mandarin tree, which I'm really excited about. I grew a mandarin tree when I lived in California and then gifted to my dad and then he gifted it to a friend of his and it's still doing really well, so that's nice. I have a boys and berry plant. I have what did I just buy? I'm trying to think. I just bought another fruit thing. Oh, it's like some citrus hybrid thing. So my porch is filled with fruit things that should live for a very long time. And then my friend Sarah is on a gardening kick and so anything else we grow in her yard and she's growing literally everything that's good.
Speaker 2: Love to grow everything. Yeah, So if you want to grow everything, if you're listening and you're thinking, I would like to be like Sophia money and grow vegetables and trees. Trees are hard, especially if you're a renter.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you have to start them in a pot and then, depending on climate, I bring mine inside during the cooler times and I have them under a grow bulb. It's not a quick commitment.
Speaker 2: No, yeah, it is an undertaking. And yeah, if you want to let them grow big, then you either have to get giant pots or put them in the ground.
Speaker 1: Did they put them in the ground? Which is hard when most people in this country can't afford to buy a home.
Speaker 2: Yes, it is. It sucks. And then you don't want to giving things to your landlord for free because fucking yeah. Well, let's talk about things that you can do in a smaller timeframe than trees. So I've just got a few bullet points here. We're going to go through them and you all can interrupt me with your experiences or questions, should you have any. If you're making a little garden for yourself, obviously you're gonna have to start out with choosing a spot for your garden. It depends, I think, on where you live. So if you're like on the fifth floor, and you don't have access to any ground yard garden soil. That could be your windowsill, right, it could be your balcony if you have a balcony. All you really need is somewhere that has good access to sunlight. All the other stuff you can bring in yourself. Right. You can bring the soil yourself. You can bring the water and all the nutrients that your plants need. But obviously, I guess you could make the sunlight in my kitchen. I have a little arrow garden which has its own little UV light bulb, and you can use those to grow some stuff. Or people have maybe some other hydroponic gardening experience.
Speaker 3: They have done elaborate setups for their tomatoes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, do you remember that. I think it was like twenty nineteen when everybody's relative gave them one of those like indoor herb garden kits that don't want the air.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sear a garden. I have one of They say work.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, no no, not the expensive arrow garden one, but the knockoff ones. Everybody, Yeah, everybody got one of those, and then you saw them elsewhere.
Speaker 3: And that sort of commodification is so silly, right, because to grow like a little pot of basil. You don't need stuff. You don't need to buy a thing. You need a windowsill.
Speaker 1: I can't grow basil. Really, we're not compatible.
Speaker 2: Interesting.
Speaker 1: I love basil. I use it constantly. I try to grow it. I kill it every time.
Speaker 2: What way is it dying?
Speaker 3: It just wilts.
Speaker 2: Basil doesn't like its feet in the water. It has to have quite dry soil.
Speaker 3: It wilts.
Speaker 1: And then I'll try again and I'll ignore it. It wilts. I'll try it again, and I'll give it a little bit of water.
Speaker 3: It wilts.
Speaker 1: I'll try it again. I'll give it a lot of water. It wilts. I'll try it again, and I guess how it ends.
Speaker 2: It wilt.
Speaker 3: I have an abundance of it because I'm constantly topping it. Because you want to top your basil all the time so that it branches instead of flowering. So when I top it, I'm like, why, I don't wan is this? I'll root these and I have, like, you know, seven hundred basils.
Speaker 1: What it's me?
Speaker 2: Maybe Molly could send one to Sophie and we can see.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're welcome to some of my basil.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because pasta is one of the greatest things that's ever happened to anybody.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm. Oh you need this a little pine nut pine tree, I guess, and some basil and a little sheep and you can make pecorino cheese.
Speaker 1: There you go.
Speaker 2: And then yeah, and some anchovies.
Speaker 3: Of course, you just need your own sheep.
Speaker 2: Yeah, everyone should have.
Speaker 1: Anderson would have the best time hurting one.
Speaker 2: Sheep that the poor sheep were probably not.
Speaker 1: I pictured it. It's really funny.
Speaker 2: You can't just have one sheep. They need friends sheep and not a solitary animal. Yeah, you have to get several.
Speaker 1: Well, Anderson will hurt them all.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we'd love to see that. All right. So if you've selected your spot right where you have access to sunlight, the next thing you need is a vessel. So during COVID, lots of people start a garden. It's not that we are not also in COVID right now right, but during the lockdown twenty twenty, when everyone was working from home for the first time, people started their little guidance. And I think lots of folks who didn't start back then or you moved out since then, Like people just built lots of planters, often in that area between the pavement and the road, which has a name that I've forgotten now.
Speaker 3: Oh, that's one of those things that has a different name in every region of the US, and wherever you go, if you're calling it the wrong thing, people look at you like you're an alien.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know what that's called in California.
Speaker 3: I think in New Jersey they call it the Devil's Strip.
Speaker 2: For real. I'm pretty sure we're going to call it the devil Strip in this podcast because that's a better name than I could have come up with. If you're gardening in the Devil's Strip, that sounds like a euphemism for growing weed, like when people call it the Devil's Letters. Yeah, you're growing your Devil's letters and the Devil's Strip. That's a good place to build a planter, right generally, Like you should be able to obtain lumber for that somewhere, Like I don't think you should be paying for lumber in this day and age. Yeah, And they're pretty easy to build, right if you are building a planter some considerations. You probably shouldn't stain the inside of the lumber that you're using. There's stuff in there that you probably don't want it if you intend to eat the plants. I think it's a pretty bad idea. Or to get lumber which is pre treated, Right, If you get something which is naturally resistant to rotting, like a hot red wood or something like that, that's going to last a bit longer, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean you should be able to find some kind of cedar or redwood around. I agree with your assessment that you should not have to pay for that. Yeah, although it's not something that if you have like a good local hardware store, it's not something that's super expensive. But price it for you buy it, That's what I'll say.
Speaker 3: And it's certainly cheaper to just buy the wood than it is to buy like a pre made wooden plant.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: The mark upon that is crazy.
Speaker 1: Incredibly overpriced for something that you would find at a big box store.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and crap too. There was one in one place I live that was like maybe a quarter of an inch thick and like it dovetailed together, but then like the dovetails kind of bulged out when they got too wet, and it was not a good figure. Don't don't buy one, build one. If you have decking screws in two by fours, you can build your own planet to it doesn't degree require a high level of carpentry knowledge. So then you're going to have to put some soil in your planter, right, You could grow plants in like likakers, like the clay composite. Have you seen this, like little balls? Yeah, but I think I have. Yeah, just to start off with, we'll we'll start with soil because it's the easiest thing to access. I think in lots of cities you can get free compost if you go to the tip. Don't know if that's the case where you guys live, but here you can get free compust if you go to the tip.
Speaker 1: I'm unfamiliar with that. But now I'm like, wait, can we do that because we should?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: Have I been missing out on free dirt because I've been I've been paying for dirt.
Speaker 2: Okay, Yeah, this is a huge life act. Do you have those green bins where you put like compostable rubbish?
Speaker 1: Of course? Oh no, we don't, so ifial lifts in Portland, yeah, and like I live in Portland, of course.
Speaker 2: Okay. So if you have that, I'm guessing your municipality is composting it, right, which would mean that it has a large amount of compost, at least in San Diego. I would be blown away if San Diego was leading the way and giving residents anything other than more cops for their taxpayer dollars. We can get free have a pickup truck. I think I can get too pick up trucks full of compost. You have to go and shovel it yourself right into your truck, and obviously you have to have some kind of vehicle to transport it. But it's a good way to get free soil, especially if you're like doing a project. Often, if you're planting vegetables in your garden, right, the soil that you're planting them into might not be good quality top soil, right. That top soil might have been taken away when you're building was constructed, or you might have all kinds of aggregate waste sort of mixed in there, right, gravel and stuff like that. It might not be the best quality growing soil. So if you can go into getting some of the free compost is the move. What I like to do when I'm starting a little garden and I've got my soil is to do a soil chemistry test. Have you guys done soil chemistry tests I have.
Speaker 3: My style of gardening is more just kind of vibing out.
Speaker 1: Okay, vibelides based Hey Portland as free compost.
Speaker 3: Is I get information overload really fast. When I first started my little garden, I thought, we like, I'm do some googling. I'm gonna do some researching. I'm gonna go to the agricultural Extension website and learn about my local soil. And then like, once i have seventy tabs open and I'm trying to consume the information, I was like, you know what, plants grow outside. They'll be fine, They'll be fine.
Speaker 2: It is true. There is a lot you can do and a lot that you don't have to do when it comes to gro own clients. My mother was a lecture in agricultural called it. Therefore, I'm bound to get a little home test kit and tests today. Do you know what the three essential nutrients are? To we turn into a quiz format for plants.
Speaker 3: Lash nitrogen, Yeah, a different element.
Speaker 2: That's correct. H These are things, These are real things.
Speaker 1: All I can think of is that that's right.
Speaker 3: Fat as a heat.
Speaker 2: If your plant isn't hitting its macros, it will not get swollen. Exactly one of the things about.
Speaker 3: I'm feeling my tomatoes creatine.
Speaker 1: Is that right? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's why they're hench as fun.
Speaker 1: Are we talking like magnesium close?
Speaker 2: Uh? That that too is an element?
Speaker 3: I had nitrogen though, that's right, Yeah, Molly is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Muddy got that one right. I'm trying to do it like a ratio. I couldn't work it out.
Speaker 1: Nitrogen phosphors, Okay, I was like almost there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're very close with magnesia.
Speaker 3: Are you growing a gardener blowing up a federal building?
Speaker 2: James porque, Nola's do Molly, I'm growing a guarden for legal and truth based reasons. I'm growing a guard You want nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium. Those are your three essential nutrient. There are fifteen other nicron nutrients. I guess that plants need vitamins. Yeah, the little you know omega threes for their joints. They need MP and K in different ratios depending on different plants. Right, So tomatoes need a lot of potassium obviously.
Speaker 1: Molly and I are like, we're here to talk about plants. Why are we in chemistry class? What's happening?
Speaker 2: James?
Speaker 3: I buy a bag that says tomato food and there's a picture of a cartoon tomato on it. That's what I know you're doing great.
Speaker 2: You can't go wrong with looking at the picture on the thing. I use this technique for all kinds of things. It's why I don't buy Quaker oats anymore. Very disturbing. I want to empower you to not have to buy the tomato man bag. In the case of tomatoes, right, you need a lot of potatum, especially to get the fruit. You can use a lot of nacuene early on to get the leaves. Then you need the potassium to get them to fruit. So you're going to seek to have the soil chemistry that suits the plants that you want to grow. Right. You can't really like improve your sign unless you know where you're starting from. So you're going to look at the NPK and the pH and then going from there. When you're buying commercial fertilizers, you can normally see the balance or set it on the bag or sit on the website, right, and you're trying to augment that soil to get the soil chemistry you want to grow the plants that you want to eat, or maybe not eat, maybe just have you can also add organic matters to your soil. If you're doing that, like, you're just gonna have to like test and test again kind of think, because when your cowshits, you don't get a bag which then gives you the amount of ninet gen phosphorus and potassium.
Speaker 3: That's why I buy the cowshit in a bag.
Speaker 2: James, Wow, that's a great business idea.
Speaker 3: No, they sell it at loss.
Speaker 2: They sell it lows cowshit in a bag. Okay, maybe that is a wonderful time to take a break for advertisements.
Speaker 3: Hopefully one of the advertisers is shit in a Bag.
Speaker 2: Shitt in a Bag. Longtime supporter of the show, I please enjoy this advert for shit in the Bag. We are back. We've returned from discussing things that we could pretend to shit in a bag, which we're not going to share with you. You'll have to guess. Okay, So I like to use chicken manure for mine, but you do have to rot it down right. If you're putting manure on your soil, it'll burn it if you just dump it straight on there. You can't just literally dump shit into your soil. This hopefully is not used to anyone.
Speaker 3: Got to age it like a fine wine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, it does improve with age. Buttlet up, cork it and put a vintage on it and then rotate it every few years so it doesn't get sediment as the bottom. If you can get a compost here and you can go after making your own compus, it's a fun thing to do. You get one of the barrel composters that you turn.
Speaker 3: I have one of those, yeah, oh yeah, because my dirt patch is like not really supposed to be a garden, and I don't have a lot of room for a compost heap. Love a compost heap, better way to do it. But because I just have patio space, m I have one of those big plastic compost tumblers and I love it. It works good, pretty fast. I was lucky enough last year. This was not intentional. I did not invite them. But I have black soldier flies in my car. Do you know those little guys. They're like pretty long, shiny black flies, but their larva are these like little grubs, And so I opened my compost. It was like, who the hell are all these grubs? But black soldier fly larva just devour organic matter and so they break down they break down your compost really fast. I love them so much that I just bought some. They came in the mail today. I got a box in the mail today that said, like, caution, live bugs. I dump dump those little babies in my tumbler.
Speaker 2: Nice. Yeah they thrive there.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, they love it in there.
Speaker 2: Yeah. We had some lava. I didn't know what they were, but we had a compost heat that I moved a couple of years ago. When I moved it, the chickens had probably the best day of it, just chasing around people.
Speaker 3: Farm Black Soldier fly as chicken feed so that you can have this whole setup where you're growing them on purpose and then they sort of fall down the tray and the chickens eat them. I don't have any chickens yet. I think my apartment neighbors would not like that.
Speaker 2: Fuck the money to play rage against the machine as you install your chicken cube, I.
Speaker 3: Mean the dogs would love it. Buck has met a chicken before, and in his mind it is like the rawest chicken, right, Like this is the most tempting.
Speaker 2: Treat of the forbidden dog treat, the raw nugget. Yeah, and then they give chickens can be pretty mean.
Speaker 1: Hey, Reese, featherspoon is a national treasure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, raised featherspoon is. She is not a mean chicken. She was just sitting on my lap earlier before we recorded. She sees a friendly chicken. She does. So if there is blood on me, she will attack even me her father and friend. So if you don't have any manure, that's fine.
Speaker 3: You can make your own dirt at home. I recommend it. It's great you can. It's very fulfilling to take like waste and turn it into something useful. You can do it on the city scale like Portland does, or you can do it on a home scale, which is fun and it's always nice to you know, reduce your amount of shit there, especially if they don't compost, Like if you don't have a green bin. It's less going into land for, isn't it. So that's always a good thing.
Speaker 2: So now you've you've got your vessel and you've got your soil, and you're going to have to decide about your plants. Right. One great resource to consult it's a USDA Plant Hardiness Map. Have you guys been browsy.
Speaker 3: Know your zone? Baby?
Speaker 2: Yep?
Speaker 1: You have to, or else you could just be committing plant masker.
Speaker 3: I mean there's a lot of debate right now in the in the community about the rezoning, the rezone, the USDA Plant Hardiness Map. Yeah, Like my mom buys all of her bulbs from this bulb farm and they put out a notice saying like, we are not using the revised map, We're staking the original, We're not changing the catalog.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Being a trad but for the USDA.
Speaker 3: Plant return to tradition.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm a USDA Plant hardness believer. And the climate is changing, So the ship that your grandparents grow might not work for you. If you have colder winters, especially right for the winter's getting colder where you are, that might be difficult for your plants. So consult that map. The map isn't going to tell you what to grow so much as what can make it through your winters, and so it's a good place to start. You're also going to want to think about plants that you can fit into your space. Right. If you want to grow yourself a sequoia, that's cool, but you know, if you're operating with a balcony, it's probably not going to be Maybe you can make a bond size sequoya. That was your thing, but you needed to plant the allfit with your space, right, definitely, If you want to grow plants that you want to eat, think about things that are high yielding, right, and perpetual spinach is a great one. If you're like a first timer, perpetual spinach you can cut and come again, so you pick some and a bit more cums and bit more cums. You don't have to like harvest it all at one time. Tomatoes are a classic, right. You can even grow them straight in one of those grow bags. Just cut a hole, put tomatoes in. If you've got enough depth, you can do root vegetables, so things like carrot, turnip, swedes you can get of course potatoes or a classic you can make a potato tower if you wanted to to the great way to have lots of potatoes in a relatively small space. So choose something that will also grow depending on the amount of climate window you have. Right, So, if you have short summers and you have something that needs a lot of sunlight to grow, you want something that will grow and mature in the amount of time you have right before the weather turns to shit again and it's too cold for that. Plant or choose something that's suitable for the climate you have. Like I just harvested some winter giant spinach because I agree that over the winter and it's very hardy and doesn't need quite as much sunlight. That was very good. And I'm about to start having my early girl tomatoes, which they arrive earlier than your conventional tomato. Like there's a tomato for everything, wherever you are, whatever you need, Like, there's a tomato for you.
Speaker 3: It's overwhelming. So like last year, like I said, I'm doing this five space, right, So I went to the garden store and I just picked out a couple of tomato plants that had names like that were funny.
Speaker 2: I think that's a great strategy.
Speaker 3: Right, that's very valid. But this year I was a little more selective, right, so because I grew fewer tomatoes this year, because I think last they were a little too close together. It was at overwhelming, a little busy in there. I want to do more cucumbers this year, so I only have five tomato plants. I have two different cherry tomatoes have a Cherokee purple. Oh gosh, who are the other guys? The other ones were just names I thought were interesting. I did it again. But the great thing about tomatoes is on the little tag it'll say how many days to maturity, So like you don't have to guess, you don't have to do a lot of homework or research. It'll stay right on the tag, like eighty five days to harvest.
Speaker 2: Yeah, going to the garden entry, they're going to sell stuff that's suitable for the climate you're living in, right, and then yeah, you can see how long it will take to harvest. Ideally you could space them out, right, so you don't just have a g loot of tomatoes and then no tomatoes for the rest of your life or the rest of the.
Speaker 3: Year producing, especially if you get indeterminates.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they will keep producing, you can, uh, I mean they'll.
Speaker 3: Keep producing till the first frost. So we had cherry tomatoes through November last year.
Speaker 2: Aweso, Wow, I thought you guys got cold.
Speaker 3: We're seven b but Charlotte feels kind of in a valley, so it stays warmer a little longer.
Speaker 2: Nice. Yeah, it's San Diego is of course, you can almost have this stuff yet around eternal summer. Well, we have winters now. The last two winters have been very wet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I had to have a bit of a learning curve coming from California to Oregon within the different climates. And I have to say that with the things that I had in pots, bringing them inside with grow bulbs has been for older weather has been pretty successful for me at keeping things alive. Yeah, they're not as fruitful obviously, but they do not die.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a wind. If you're in Portland or somewhere feather north and like you know that your plant won't make it through the winter, that's a strategy, right. You can have a place set aside, you bring it in. You can have a grow bulb.
Speaker 1: And honestly a lot of lamps. They sell bulbs that are grow bulbs that can go directly in the lamps you already have, so you don't need to buy anything fancy. The bulbs are pretty expensive and they're sold at most local hardware stores, so you're really spending like five dollars on a bowl instead of spending you know, thirty dollars on some fancy contraption.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, my mom has a shop light, you know the sort. It's like a metal lampshade, a clip. It's just a cheap shoplight that she clips onto a shelf to shine at her plants. Her version of oh yeah.
Speaker 2: That guy's demonstrating audio listeners.
Speaker 3: Her empty nesting has involved a whole grow situation, like there's no dining room at my parents' house anymore. There's more for us to eat when we go home to the dining room is a greenhouse. I love like tropical plants that have to live inside in the winter. She's got like a boogain vida that's like ten feet tall that comes in the house in the winter.
Speaker 2: Amazing.
Speaker 1: I just bought some bougain via that I have been a pot right now because I grew up with bougainvilla in California, and I finally found a nursery that had it in an, Oregon, and I was.
Speaker 3: Like home because I always thought it was a potted plant until I saw it outside in a tropical environment. It's not a potted plant, not a potter.
Speaker 2: Not in San Diego. It is a plant that will take over your guide.
Speaker 1: In Sorry, James, we've gone off the rails. Back to what you're saying.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, returning to the rails. I did want to plug native seeds. I love native sea search for finding different and exciting seeds and preserving indigenous people's horticultural traditions and like lifeways. I have grown lots of seeds from native seed search with great success, And it's cool in a world of increasingly like monocultural agriculture to preserve something that is part of someone's culture. Zapatistas will also send you corn. I'm sure anyone on the left who's over thirty years old is very familiar with zapatis to corn, I'm sure. But for the youth among us, you can order corn from the zapatistas that actually comes from somebody in San Diego who will send you some of this sort of heritage variety corn. And you're preserving this corn in a world where corn is increasingly commercialized. Right, things like Montstanto have a lockdown on some of these corn varieties. Right, they're like patented varieties. Right, even if you don't sew them, they're sort of invading the genome of these indigenous corn types. So keeping these varieties alive is a cool thing to do. To do this when I was like sixteen, this is like early activism. Me was like growing some zappaties to corn in my parents' greenhouse. But that's the thing you can do if you want cool corn.
Speaker 3: I think it's important too to look up what's native to your area, and not just because it is you know, the right thing to do, but it'll grow better where you live. The pollinators will be attracted to it where you live. I was just looking up like here in Virginia, the Department of Wildlife Resources will sell you native seeds for your area at a pretty good affordable rice. So, like, look up what wants to live where you are growing it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, totally.
Speaker 3: A lot of things, like ornamental garden plants are highly invasive and destructive to your local habitat. So things that might look really nice in your yard are destructive to your environment.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a big thing that It's probably a big thing everywhere, but like in California, and we talk about like invasive mustard. Right when you see these big yellow hillsides in California, that's an invasive plant. Of course, there's the climate changes. What is indigenous to one area may no longer be suitable for growing there. It's definitely happened with some plants. I'll get a lot of plants as well from desert Survivors, which is a little nursery in Tucson, Arizona where I like to go and buy desert plants because I do not like to have plants that are extremely thirsty for water. This is my transition to our watering segment. You need to water your plants right. This is something that people probably know that some tips for watering. You want to water your plants regularly and consistently. Plants can get stressed if you have a lot of water, then no water, then a lot of water again. If you're using a vibe space watering strategy, you might be causing your plant excessive stress. So I like to water my plants morning or evening because in the heat of the day you're going to lose more to evaporation. If you're really going for it, you can set up a drip feeder, which is a pretty cool system where the little lines and they just drip water onto your plants. Those are a really great way to irrigate. You can also do what I often do, which is think a lot and then use your plants as an excuse for doing that. By taking the little glass bottles and making plant waters out of them, so you fill them up and then basically shove them in the ground as long as you can get a good plug of soil in the end of the bottle.
Speaker 3: I misunderstood where you were going with that. I thought you were pissing on your vegetables. No, so I've heard of putting urine in your compost tumbler, something about the urea and the nitrogen. But I don't think you're supposed to piss right on the tomatoes.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: I was trying to understand what Molly's the gig face was really.
Speaker 2: Money is baffled by this bottle idea.
Speaker 3: I don't pee on my garden. Yeah, I mean it's sort of street facing. I think it would be sort of loud and lascivious.
Speaker 1: For the record, Molly does not pee on her garden.
Speaker 2: I want everyone to know that Molly's not a garden. No.
Speaker 3: But watering is a big issue for me, right, So, because it's not supposed to be a garden. There there's no.
Speaker 2: Hose, there's a water source, there's.
Speaker 3: No external like spigott for me to hook up a hose too. There's so I have to use a two gallon watering can that I fill in my bathtub and then take out one at a time, and so you know you're supposed to, like the equivalent of one inch of water per week is about average for a little vegetable garden, which is like zero point six gallons per square foot. So for my ten foot by ten foot, I'm looking at sixty gallons a week. So I every other day fill up my watering. Can you know ten or twenty times? It's an endeavor, good way, It's an endeavor.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a commitment to the plants. You could like do a hose and run out your window from the tap.
Speaker 3: I looked into it. And so for people who live in apartments and have a lot of house plants, there's like an adapter you can get for your kitchen sink that you can screw a hose onto. But I do not have the right kind of faucet for that.
Speaker 2: Disappointing. I bet someone listening has a solution from moll they'se plants.
Speaker 1: But first it's time for advertisements.
Speaker 3: I hope it's an advertisement for pissing outside.
Speaker 2: That would be great. I would read advert for pissing outside.
Speaker 1: I just feel like that's what we're missing the world, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Surely like Jocko or someone has done a like pissing outside Jordan Peterson that they've done sunning your balls, they must have done pissing outside.
Speaker 3: So if you ask the people that make the shi Wi a Fal sponsor the show, sure.
Speaker 2: We are back and we are now going to talk about and your versus perennial plants, a topic they know many of you have been wondering about. Would one of you like to explain? I'm sure you're familiar with annuals and perennials, which one of you like to take on the task of explaining them to our listeners?
Speaker 3: Sophie, what annuals just live for the one growing season. Perennials will come back next year, is the short of it.
Speaker 1: I definitely could have answered that.
Speaker 2: Well you didn't, did you, Sophie?
Speaker 3: So your tomatoes are annuals. Allegedly, my halapennia is supposed to be a perennial. She did not make it rip.
Speaker 2: We've had a couple of peppers over winter. I have a thie bird chili that made it from a couple of winters. Now it'll depend a little bit on where you are as well, if they'll make it through the and I think.
Speaker 3: I should have pruned it back earlier before the frost. I think they winter better if you prune them back. It was potted, I could have sunk the pot in the soil so the soil temperature would remain more constant. But I didn't do that. I about a new one.
Speaker 1: I respect that.
Speaker 2: So some other things to consider I'm going through. Things that you might need to add as your guide growth would be like frames for plants that creep or plants that climb. Some tomatoes will need a frame. For Molly's cucumbers, you're going to need a frame.
Speaker 3: Oh, I got a little a frame for my cukees this year. But I hate tomato cages. Those you've seen them, the round little at the bottom when they get bigger, the horrible round wire cages. They're ugly, They're hard to store. I live in an apartment. What am I going to do with that the other eight months out of the year. So what I did last year is a technique called Florida weave, where you use posts and twine and you sort of so you have the posts along the row and then you between the posts, you weave the twine on either side of the plants and It worked really well until my tomatoes became ten feet tall because I bought five foot posts. But it was good in theory.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's how commercial tomatoes had grown.
Speaker 3: It was much more affordable than buying like something large, because I just went to tractor supply and bought Actually, the steaks I bought are for putting up electric fences, so they have clips every few inches along the post for so convenient to clip the wire into. So I used that to hold onto the twine and they were like a buck fifty apiece. So it's much more affordable and more storage friendly. So Florida weave them great idea.
Speaker 2: Love that, Yeah, I love that. Someone gave me a load of bamboo and I just made frames out of that and just it's fun to do a little a frame hitch and make little frame and then you can just collapse it because the a frame hitch, so it relies on the spreading of the bottom to give it attention. So you just you bring them together again and you can store it over the winter.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So there are a lot of solutions out there that don't involve buying a fifty dollars contrap. It blows, you know, like don't feel like you have to invest a lot of money in like objects and gadgets and things.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think generally, Actually, there's a lot of shit that's marketed at trying to get your plants to grow, and like, the chances are if your plants you're having not as much success as you would hope. They're not getting enough light, they're not getting enough water, or they're not getting enough nutrients, or it's too cold or too hot for them.
Speaker 3: You don't need a big gadget.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you don't need to buy a thing. And it is one of those areas where you can find very useful information on the internet. So if you're struggling with a certain plant, there is almost certainly someone who's already had that struggle and you can find their solutions. There are some pretty good websites for searching up that stuff. The last thing I wanted to cover was pruning and weeding and pest management, which can be a bit of a mission. Right now, I'm fighting a uphill struggle against some gophers. They have targeted me.
Speaker 3: You have to shoot.
Speaker 2: This is a problem. I live in a relatively built up area. I am a person who grew up in agriculture. I know how to manage pets, and unfortunately all the things that I would have done are felony crime.
Speaker 3: Big government is interfering with your urban farm.
Speaker 2: Yeah, once again, the boot of the man is on my neck.
Speaker 3: I am at war with the squirrels here. That's weird. They didn't mess with me last year, I guess because you know, we had just moved in and they saw the dogs and they were concerned about the dogs. But this year they're feeling bold and they are digging holes. Every day. They're digging holes. They are burying peanuts in my garden, and I keep pulling peanuts out of the ground.
Speaker 2: I have a fucking peanut problem too.
Speaker 3: I'm not Jimmy Carter. I'm not farming peanuts.
Speaker 1: They're not afraid of Buccanatto.
Speaker 3: I guess because last year they didn't get got so this year they're feeling like.
Speaker 1: Ierson keeps the squirrels at bay. They know their place and that it is her yard.
Speaker 2: A buccanotto on patrol. Though. Are they able to access the pit?
Speaker 3: No, the pit is like not accessible to dog, but like sometimes you know, they're out on the patio bar. But the solution that I have found, because apparently I'm not allowed to shoot them A cayenne pepper.
Speaker 1: Yes, cayenne pepper is a great solution.
Speaker 3: I bought like several pounds of cayenne pepper in bulk, and I just sprinkle it on all of the surfaces, like on the surface of the soil along the wall around the pit because they don't want to like walk in it and smell it. So it keeps them off the wall so they don't end up down in the pit to dig.
Speaker 1: I do the same. You get some that some chili oil, a little bit of water, you put a spray bottle and it just keeps a lot of bugs away as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, mace your plants.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Unfortunately I don't sprinkle into the wind.
Speaker 2: Oh no, Yeah, I've done the same thing. Money. I've maced myself trying to do that.
Speaker 3: As my strawberry start to ripe and I'm thinking like maybe I should stop macing the strawberries.
Speaker 2: No, just growing mace strawberries. Then you'll be immune. If you ate enough of them, you could become like the Hulk. You know, they spray you and you just get strong. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I'm doing mithrittism with police brutality.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love that for you, like the guy who lets his snakes bite him a little bit all the time. And yeah, but for cops, I love that. There are lots of solutions for this which don't evolve like spraying your plants with a butt kind of round up or round up will probably kill them. But other pesticides, right, like don't display your plants is round up might kill you as well. But yeah, you have to first ascertain what pest you're dealing with, right, So for the gophers, one of the things you can do is, you know construction netting. It's like chicken wire, a bit thinner. Yeah, you can put that because the roots of the plant can still get through that. So you put that at the bottom of your planter right where it sits on the soil. The roots of the plant can still get through, but mister gopher cannot. Missus gopher, non binary gopher can't get through their netting, just like a physical block. I've heard people say that cat litter is something you can sprinkle and they think are cats around. You can also just make a little house for a cat that doesn't have one, so that it comes and lives near your plants. We have that for a while. Little neighborhoo cat came to date and it kept the rat problem to a minimum. You can use things like have you seen the ultrasound gopher preventers.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I can't use one of those because I think it would bother the dogs, right like you would bother other small mammals.
Speaker 2: I have ones that I got on Jeffrey Bezos his website that are not in fact ultrasound. They're very much just regular sound, and I think I was missolved those so the worst trying. They are all sort of non lethal methods as well.
Speaker 3: You can get a plastic owl, yes.
Speaker 2: You can't if you've got a bird problem. You can also get bird netting if they're eating your berries. And I would suggest that you can get a variety of plastic animals.
Speaker 3: Actually, my mom has a coy pond, and so she got a plastic heron to scare away the real heron that eats the fish. And my dad misunderstood the purpose of the heron right. It was a functional plastic bird. It was to scare away the real bird that eats the fish. And so he thought like, oh, like we like fake birds now, and so he very lovingly bother a bunch of like different fake plastic birds for the yard.
Speaker 1: Oh that's so endearing.
Speaker 2: Yeah it's adorable, but it.
Speaker 3: Does not keep the hero in away. Yeah he's even the fish.
Speaker 2: Maybe you need a more intimidating classic harot. Keep buying until you find the one.
Speaker 3: You know, it's a really buff one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, buff one that's giving the middle finger.
Speaker 1: Because birds do that.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm. Hench herons do that and they're buff like that.
Speaker 1: What other pest management things do we recommend?
Speaker 3: Oh, I love knee oil for thrips and aphids.
Speaker 1: Snee oil rules.
Speaker 3: I don't put any poison on my plants because I'm I'm against it. But I have a spray bottle that I put a little bit of knee oil and a little bit of Don Dish soap in and then mostly just hot water. After that, shake that bad way up and spray them down.
Speaker 2: Lady birds, so a great one, lady bugs for the Americans in the audience.
Speaker 3: The only thing I use like is like, it's not really a poison, it's a bacteria. I don't know, debatable buy these bacillisitringiensis. I use that to keep the cattle pillars away.
Speaker 1: There's also like a lot of different plants you can plant with your crops to help keep a passive bay, you know, thinking like you know a lot of herbs which you would want to grow anyways, like mint and rosemary and lavender and catnip, and then also merry gold's always good lemon grass to trunella grass.
Speaker 3: Like coplant marrow golden basil with my tomatoes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it looks nice. Also, I wanted to mention in pruning, Yes, you do want to be pruning your plants. With tomatoes, you want to pull off the suckers, right If you imagine your tomato is like a V and then a third sprout coming up from the middle of the V.
Speaker 3: Because you should see what Jess is doing with his hands right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for the several thousand people who are not in the room, I'm making a V with my hand and then an extra finger in the middle of the V. I can't do this without making myself.
Speaker 3: Laugh now, but yeah, pull off the suckers.
Speaker 2: You're generally going to want to prune your plants, right, This will encourage them to fruit instead of just growing.
Speaker 3: Yes, especially with your herbs, you want to top your herbs because once they go to seed they stop growing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh they taste like ass.
Speaker 1: Cut your rosemary off often.
Speaker 2: Give it a trim. People get really scared about pruning or poll adding. If you've got a tree, poll ad it, but it's really not that scary. Again, like depending on your plant, you'll find some good videos on YouTube.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The last thing I wanted to talk about is rotating your crops.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, did you.
Speaker 2: Learn about this in school that we did or is this just a British.
Speaker 3: They cheat you guys about crop rotation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was not in any of my classes.
Speaker 2: Really, you didn't have the three field system.
Speaker 1: No, I learned that from like some nice YouTuber.
Speaker 2: Okay, well there's a niche for you there of your British person teach American people shit, they should have learned in school.
Speaker 1: On YouTube, it's going to take a long time. That's a long program.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're overestimating our education system so you can rotate your crops. So if you're growing the same thing in the same soil every year, it's going to pull the same stuff out every year, right, unless you're replenishing your soil, which you want to do. If you've got your annual plants right. You do want to erate your soil, turn it over. You can get a soil aerator.
Speaker 3: It's controversial.
Speaker 2: You don't believe in soil aeration, it's controversial. My belief is that you should augment and erate your soil, or you can rotate your crops right, which what you're doing there is not growing the same thing every year. And crucially, what you want to include in a corp rotation is a nitrogen fixing plant, which is to say, a laguminous plant.
Speaker 3: The squirrels are actually trying to help me by planting those peanuts.
Speaker 2: Yes, I guesse planuts are a lagome. I'd never thought of that from a country where peanuts wouldn't grow.
Speaker 3: I guess I should apologize to the squirrels.
Speaker 2: Yep, little farming squirrels. I like to do peas. They're a lagoome. A lentil. Everyone loves a lentil. It's kind of fun to grow a little lent do you, yes, I remember you said it's on Twitter. This is incredible to me.
Speaker 3: It's because biting into a lentil, the way that surface tension breaks when you bite it, to me, is exactly how I imagine it would feel to bite into an engorged tick.
Speaker 2: Just reading about someone who bit a tick.
Speaker 1: I just decided I am anti lentil, just based on that.
Speaker 2: We can't allow money to ruin lentils. Lentils are your friend.
Speaker 3: I know they're great. They are a great source of non meat protein. But I can't do it.
Speaker 1: Apparently, I no longer can do it.
Speaker 2: Either cook them enough and there's not the surface engine, or get split once you know the red lentils that are split and then you have the tension.
Speaker 3: I can do that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, okay, we've agreed on I'm like fifty lentil by mass if I didn't have lentils, so, I don't know if I would make it. I make a big thing on lentils every single Sunday and then I eat them most of the week.
Speaker 3: It never even occurred to me, like what does a lentil plant look like? Which part of the plant is the lentil?
Speaker 2: It's the seed. I think, there's the lagoon.
Speaker 3: It's the that sounds labor intensive to harvest.
Speaker 2: It's not too bad. It's kind of fun. Because lentils plays such an important role in my life. I like to grow them. It's fixing night tune back. We could put any laguminous plant, right, we'd fix a nuturne back in your sword. And if you rotate those through and even leave your soil fallow for a while so they don't grow anything, right, if you have the space to do that, rotating your crops around, right, so you have like a fallow and then something else and then a lagom and then you just rotate them around every year.
Speaker 3: I just have the pit.
Speaker 2: You could segment off the pit. You could do pit quarters and you could rotate them around. You could have lentils, you could have tomatoes, basil and the little fallow patch for the dogs to run around it.
Speaker 1: I've just let you say tomatoes and basils entire time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm so glad, thank you, thank you for not making me feel feel bad.
Speaker 1: I was thinking it. I want you to know, but I kept I held it in like a winter until the very end.
Speaker 3: So yeah, the very end, my grandmother says, Tomato Americans do. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Really, the ones I've met, I feel like they're either doing it. Sometimes people will meet me and then start talking like me incredible, it's not at all. It's really weird when you notice someone changing their vowels. Yeah, it's very weird. I don't know if this happens to everyone, and it's just a thing that happens to British people. So yeah, that's my message for you. Grow plants. Do not start speaking like me or anyone. Don't parrot people's action to just talk to where you talk. It's it's fine, but.
Speaker 3: Just like, don't overthink it. Just put some plants in the dirt, try it out. The worst that can happen. It doesn't work, it's okay.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're not very expected. I've get seeds grown up from the seeds.
Speaker 3: And never buy cut basil from the grocery store. You know, you spend six dollars with a little plastic blister pack of leaves. Don't do it. It's cheaper to buy the whole plant and then you have unlimited basil.
Speaker 1: Unless you're me who can't grow lest your sofia.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah, just Sophie, please go ahead and buy cut basil.
Speaker 1: No, I'll just steal some from my friends who know how to grow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's another thing you can do. Steal.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, that's the other thing. Steal plants from your friends. Bring your friends cuttings, share your plants with friends.
Speaker 3: I don't consider it stealing to snap off little cuttings or seed heads.
Speaker 1: No, Like I don't either know.
Speaker 3: My fanny pack is full of like mysterious seed heads that I popped off of plants, and so I put some in the dirt because I couldn't remember what they were.
Speaker 1: That's also like a really fun game.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think these are cosmos. We'll find out.
Speaker 2: Get some seeds and trade them with your friends and everyone gets a mystery plant. Be a fun thing to do.
Speaker 3: And don't forget to grow a flower too. Yeah, grow a nice flower, attract some beans.
Speaker 2: Grow some pollinators. This is a weird little anecdote to end on. So beyond the company who make the protective combat uniform for the US military, they also make some really nice clothing that I buy for work stuff. Sometimes I get afraid of being on fire, so I like to buy fire retardant stuff, And they send a little tag with all of their So you're buying your like fire retardant base layer to or under your plate carrier when you're working, and it comes a little tag that has plant seeds in it, and if you plant the tag, flowers will grow.
Speaker 3: That's beautiful.
Speaker 2: It's wonderful, isn't it. Yeah, it's very nice. And for that recent lene, they're my favorite purveyor of fireproof uniforms.
Speaker 3: Oh and get a sun hat. If you're outside gardening, get a big floppy sun hat. It really helps you get in the zone and it also protects you from the sun.
Speaker 2: It's a great tip. I think we should get end with that by by a sun hat.
Speaker 1: By a sun hat, wear sunscreen and listen to sixteenth minute of Fame, our newest caozon Media podcast, hosted by Jimmy Loftus. Ah.
Speaker 3: Wow, so true, so true.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, listen to it.
Speaker 1: Wow, gardening wearing a sun hat and sunscreen.
Speaker 3: I did that this morning.
Speaker 1: That's what I was doing this morning.
Speaker 2: So we had know.
Speaker 1: Oh Molly, such a legend.
Speaker 3: I was propagating my basil tops in my little sun hat an show.
Speaker 1: All right, the podcast has ended very well. It could happen here as a production of cool Zone Media. For more podcasts from cool Zone Media, visit our website Coolzonemedia dot com, or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to podcasts. You can find sources for it could happen here. Updated monthly at coolzonemedia dot com Slash sources. Thanks for listening.