Speaker 1: Still the Place with Laura Layton, Courtney Thorn Smith.
Speaker 2: And Daphne's Andiga and iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 1: Yeah, my ladies, so good to see you in person. You've been zoom faces for the last time.
Speaker 3: We haven't all been together in so long.
Speaker 1: No, no, So can we start? We have a lot to cover, Okay, can we talk about nineties con? Dying dying to hear?
Speaker 3: It's so funny because, like for the audience, it may seem like that was a while ago, especially for the fans that were there, But for us, we haven't seen each other in a lot of weeks because Daphney was traveling and during that time we were at ninetiest Con and you were not, and we missed you so much.
Speaker 2: We missed you. It was so much fuss.
Speaker 4: That was it was, It really was, And everyone was asking. Everyone was like Laura, were like, she's busy.
Speaker 1: So did you guys get to hang out a lot of we're together like all day every day? Is that how it was? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Bro shoots.
Speaker 4: Heather missed a flight, so she came in a day late. But she wasn't the only one. There were a couple of other two a couple others too. Because it was Daytona, so it wasn't It was like a.
Speaker 2: Connection kind of thing and everything.
Speaker 4: We're running around all day, right, We're just running down hallways to panels, to trivia games, to professional photos, to our booths to fans and then tons of stuff.
Speaker 1: So you're not just sitting there all day, you're actually Yeah, we had things scheduled and like group things and then still things, but we were always like right next to each other, and so we were We literally spent the entire weekend together.
Speaker 2: It was kind of like she and I did a promo while we were like in between signing autographs. I'm like behind the curtain.
Speaker 4: Going joined us on Still the Place, meeting in the curtain bar the promo like them.
Speaker 3: There, yeah, and there was like there was fun nineties music playing at the contents, so that was super fun. But it's like it's kind of loud, we need to record this promo really quick for Still the Place. I'm like, hang on, I ran to the ladies room and like I'm in the booth, I'm in the stall.
Speaker 2: And then we did too. We recorded with Josie and Grant.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, we got to sit down with them twice. That was really so fun, and really it just felt like this great excuse to have another getaway, like, hey, we had this road trip, this like getaway with our friends and yeah.
Speaker 1: I did some interviews yesterday for a TV movie I did, and they were asking about the podcast, and I was like, really, it's just an excuse get everybody together. Because we've seen so many of our castmates just in a couple of months we've been doing this.
Speaker 3: It's the best perf of doing this. It just feels like a guilty, like it's our actual reason for doing it. It's just to hang out with each other exactly.
Speaker 4: It's so so amazing how we did this show thirty something years ago and we can't find anyone ever since then as fun and interesting to hang out with them with each other. Well, so it's like, I know, let's watch the show again and visit with stuff together.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And we were sort of having that conversation with Josie and Grant too, like you know, there were a lot of years where we weren't totally in touch because everybody's lives took them a different direction. But getting reacquainted now and then going I want to be with these people and I want to I want to know about your life and I want to learn about you now and whatever. We had this shared history, but also like a new friendship too, on top of the old friendship.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And the weird thing is it's like no time has passed. Isn't that the weird thing? And I think it's part of that thing of you feel a certain age. Like I look at the show, I kind of know we look different, but I feel like we still we did much the same, which we don't. Don't correct me.
Speaker 3: I recognize everybody.
Speaker 2: I just get it.
Speaker 1: So is there anyone else fun at nineties Con? Like outside of our group? Was there anything?
Speaker 2: We kids were all there. We we got to some of them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean a good handful. Yeah, Jenny Garth, we talked, Brian, Austin Green was there.
Speaker 2: Ian was there.
Speaker 3: I didn't see him, but yeah, there were lots of people. It was just there were such an it was such a happy vibe, like the guests and attendance, like the fans and everybody's just happy like the nineties were. Was this like happy vibe and the music and whatever. So it's just like this happy time and the.
Speaker 2: Fans are amazing.
Speaker 4: It's so nice all over I met people from Germany, from the Maldives, from Hungary, from Canada, from Brazil.
Speaker 2: I mean, they come.
Speaker 3: From all over and everybody is just so nice and happy to be there. It's just a really fun thing. So hopefully there'll be another one in the future and we can all do it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well next year my son will be a senior, so he won't care if I'm there or not. You're gone, did you go, mom? I didn't even notice.
Speaker 3: In fact, could you just go to a con?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 3: We got to get back on track with our recaps because.
Speaker 1: I remembered this episode so clearlyss you do know? Yeah, you guys weren't because you weren't quite there yet. So it's gonna I was gonna say, do you remember, like, no, we're not there. You weren't there at this episode? You do, yes, And we'll get into it because but I think because the woman who Billy has a little fling with in this one, well you know, I'm gonna wait until but I remember her so clearly. We had such a good time. I got along so well with her. And I'll just say this. She had to be a stand up comedian and she was horrified to have to stand up and do stand up. Have you guys ever done stand up?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: No, and never will?
Speaker 1: Terrifying, right, And I just remembered her the actress, the actor. Yes, she was wonderful but being so terrified about doing it. So I locked in my brain because she was so terrified. This episode locked in my brain. I remember almost every second of it.
Speaker 4: So you're like, I will never do stand up and I already required her doing stand up.
Speaker 3: I have to say, I wonder if part of the reason why you remember shooting this also, and I could see it on your face and we'll talk about it when we get there. But like you and Andrew in real life were fully dating by this time, right, yes, so.
Speaker 1: Well, from like episode three it was not right, but like you, we were professional for about seven minutes.
Speaker 3: You were all in by now, And like this episode you can really see like I think Alison's jealousy or whatever is actually Corey.
Speaker 1: Yeah, were you triggered watching this one car like that wasn't in the script?
Speaker 4: Cars you triggered watching this thirty years later because you've been triggered already with like guest stars.
Speaker 2: These guests stars was all over him.
Speaker 1: I remember I know that it was Jensen. I remember that. I don't know, maybe, but you can see that the writers either already had the plan or we're picking up on it because there's an edge to every single line which is.
Speaker 3: Just so adorable. It's always always adorable. Okay, so let's jump in.
Speaker 2: We let's see.
Speaker 3: The name of this episode is Responsibly Yours. This is season one, episode nine, Responsibly Yours. In this episode, Billy is going to attempt a relationship with an older woman who becomes she is a stand up comic. Things get complicated because we're gonna find out she.
Speaker 2: Has a kid.
Speaker 3: So yeah, all the usual suspects of responsibility, all the usual suspects. And this this show is, of course created by Darren Starr. This episod It was written by Darren Starr and Frederick Rappaport.
Speaker 2: I am going to wear my glasses today.
Speaker 3: I'm going to do it, all right. So the episode opens, Billy is driving his taxi down the street. He notices a woman leaning over the open hood of a car. He pulls over and approaches the woman. Can I lend you a hand?
Speaker 1: And by the way, did you guys notice in our sweet Billy that moment of lecherousness.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, So I'm like, hello, what do I see bending over the.
Speaker 2: Hear of the car?
Speaker 3: But yeah, and he gets out in his giant jean shorts.
Speaker 1: George George's George before.
Speaker 3: They were even in giant jean shorts. But yeah, he offers to help with whatever's wrong with her car. Turns out he doesn't really know what's going on with her car. She seems to know more than he does, but he offers her a ride.
Speaker 4: So are we can talking about who it is our guest star there? Yeah, so it's Joyce Heiser. Yes, Joyce Heiser had a big movie in the eighties, so almost ten years before this just one of the boys.
Speaker 1: Oh it was before this.
Speaker 2: Huh.
Speaker 1: Happened?
Speaker 2: So that was in the eighties. This is in ninety two.
Speaker 4: But you know, people have talked about in our comments as well, the guest stars. We've talked about it, like the guest stars, what either they've already done or what they've gone on to do. We've had some great guest stars on this show. So anyway, Joyce Heiser had a you know, solid career already. And I was talking to a friend yesterday, this is how small the town was back then.
Speaker 2: Who's like he watched the episode because he's watching and listening along with us.
Speaker 4: And he's like, you know what, I came. I auditioned for Just One of the Boys. I came down to down to the wire, but they gave it to Clayton Roner, who a couple of years later, I did.
Speaker 2: A movie with Clayton Roner. Wow, Modern Girls.
Speaker 4: But and now he's friends with and knows and has dinner, has had dinner with the director of Just One of the Boys.
Speaker 2: Anyway, it's very good.
Speaker 3: Crazy small town.
Speaker 4: It was a small town, Yeahore, I mean we all you know you audition and.
Speaker 1: We also all lived here. Like now people live in New York and they live in Atlanta. People of every work because that's where the work is now, right, It's not a company town as much.
Speaker 4: And people audition online with their self tapes and like, like, when was the last time anyone was in a room with an actual producer castide person.
Speaker 3: It's not quite the same process anymore.
Speaker 2: Anyway.
Speaker 4: I think I think her experience really shows in this, Like she was very solid.
Speaker 2: You know, like she knew these solid.
Speaker 4: Some of these lines were kind of cheesy and like a little cringe for me. But she knew what they wanted and she.
Speaker 1: Delivered and she committed, Like she was terrified to do the stand up, but she stood up there and she committed and it really worked. Yeah, she was great. She was fun to work with.
Speaker 3: You.
Speaker 1: I really remember her well, so cool and I was thinking too. My favorite part of being a regular on TV series is meeting the guest stars. That's my favorite part. Like you're doing the work with they bring new friends in for you every week to meet and be a part of. You get to welcome the Mendi your little family. I really that's probably the thing I missed most webbing on a series.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like this injection of new age of money.
Speaker 3: But yeah, so there was money.
Speaker 2: Well that was a given, all right. So there they go.
Speaker 3: She gets in his car. He's blasting music. She asks for less volume, and then she reveals that she's a shoe salesman. Billy is taken with her anyways, tells her she's funny. They pull into a service station, where she reveals that she doesn't have the money to pay for the cab, so she pays the place.
Speaker 1: Did you recognize the shoe brand? Like these are of us? It was it was made brand like it was a take on, like it was close to something that's a brand, but it was made up brand. That's what I wondered.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was not, but it was something something else.
Speaker 1: I think I was very close.
Speaker 3: Laura, it's familiar. So she offers to pay Billy for the cab with show tickets to her stand up gig.
Speaker 2: Then we cut to by the way. Sorry, I'm just remembering.
Speaker 4: This is the second time we've seen where one of these people is offering payment.
Speaker 2: With like tickets to a show.
Speaker 4: Yeah, somebody's like that was back in the day when you know, you were putting on stand up or art shows or dance shows, and like your form of payment and currency was here's some free tickets.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, like no one had money.
Speaker 3: I think it's also like a writing like mechanism to get the people to that performance is a story point. Yeah, like, oh well, Jake finds Michael in the courtyard, tells Michael that he's too spiffy to be gardening, because Michael seems to be all dressed up, he's wearing his tie, and he's tending to be as say, spiffy, spiffy.
Speaker 1: That's hilarious.
Speaker 3: I think he says spiffy or was that my note? Do you remember did he say spiffy? I think he said spiffy. I can't remember, but I don't think I would have written it if he hadn't. Actually, he's spiffy. He's just spiffy dressed in his line.
Speaker 2: At the time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, which is so grant. So Michael tells Jake that Jane wants to have dinner tonight and he thinks he might get lucky, and Jake says, well, you know, dude, you're you're definitely lucky. You've got the girl, you've got this relationship, and all of a sudden, Jake is sort of like going, how do you do? What's what's your secret? How do you know? And Michael's like, well, you've you've got all this freedom, what do you mean you're lucky too, and and Jake says, no, what he wants to do is figure out how to, you know, figure out this relationship thing. So Michael gives him some advice. He tells them to uh ramp down, tamp down those animal instincts and there's something to be said for taking it slow friendship first, he says.
Speaker 1: Which is very good advice I much say, but I'm not saying. About seven times he says, you know how to get the ladies. You can get the ladies. You know how to get the ladies. Like wow, we really so wait.
Speaker 3: Does Jake now to get the ladies to get right quickly?
Speaker 2: I mean, because it's not obvious by the way that he looks.
Speaker 1: It's always got so much to work through.
Speaker 4: It so hard to really sell that Grant that sorry, Jake can get whoever you want right.
Speaker 3: But I thought it was really cute, Like like Jake's approach. He was like sort of kind of vulnerable and like actually asking.
Speaker 1: And I love it when they because that is Grant, Like Grant really has that side to him. I love it when he gets to show it Jake.
Speaker 3: It's so sweet. So that scene ends with Jake considering could he do something like that friendship first? What a concept? So then we cut to Billy and Allison's apartment where it's Billy and Allison's apartment right where Ronda was cooking. It wasn't Ronda's apartment, it was BILLI and Allison's I think it was right. Dinner party with Ronda and Matt, Billy and Allison, but I believe they were having the dinner in Billy and Allison's apartment. However, Ronda was cooking, and she's cooking, Matt is teasing Billy about the new crush he has on this girl, Dawn, and we kind of pick up on a little bit of jealousy from the look on Allison's face, and that's where I wondered, as, yeah, it was maybe Corny's showing through. But she does tease Billy about his interest in Dawn and that and that he's not very mature in general, and the theme of all the teasing seems to be that Billy is a child, that he's immature.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but they're pitching it as a big age difference. It didn't look like an age difference. But then they said at one point he was twenty three, and I was like, twenty three, that's crazy, But I was twenty four. Yeah, it's hard to believe we were that young. I mean, I remember feeling very grown up, but that's very young.
Speaker 2: You were twenty four.
Speaker 3: So I think the idea is that this girl had to be older because she's been married for years already, right, So that just is an indication of But it never kind of comes.
Speaker 1: Up this she is older, married at fourteen, we should assume that.
Speaker 3: So. So yeah, so they're teasing him and they're making this dinner and he says he'll pay for his portion of the dinner with the comedy show tickets.
Speaker 1: So twice in one episode.
Speaker 3: Yeah, paying for something, because now everybody has to get the party show. How else are you going to get there? So at the comedy Show down's routine, reveals that she is in fact divorced, which is news to Billy and everybody, and she makes some jokes about marriage, which Billy kind of laughs too hard at, and she he elbows Alison very hard in the arms. At one point I had to go back and go, oh my god, the look on your face was like actual, ah. Actual. After her set, she approaches the table says side of the gang, Billy.
Speaker 1: Do you think that Doug and Vanessa were playing it like they didn't like it? It was super uncomfortable.
Speaker 3: I felt like they were just trying to be polite. Yeah, it was like Billy was really like taken with it, like, oh, isn't she great? And everybody was like, yes, very politely, yes she's great. Yes, you know, like even when Matt says, oh, I really liked the part about you know, single life. He's really trying to be nice, like picking out a part of her.
Speaker 1: Shit supposed to be good. Yeah, obviously we know the actor is good. But yeah, that was confusing to me.
Speaker 3: I just thought I thought it was like demonstrating that Billy was just smitten. Like so his level of you know, approval.
Speaker 1: Didn't you know when she came to the table and he put his arm around her again Courtney Allison, very fine line, but he put his arm around her, thinking that's too soon.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, and so I think that's the part of the show though.
Speaker 2: He's it's all too soon.
Speaker 4: He's acting to remember she even just a couple of scenes later he's like this is too.
Speaker 3: Much or yeah maybe midpoint coming on, coming on too much, too fast, too soon.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but he's it just shows his kind of like naivete and excitement about it. I think, yeah, well maybe this is a girlfriend material, the girl I picked.
Speaker 2: Up the side of the road. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I was thinking like from her point of view, that was our cab driver, like you like nobody ever really talking about he is her cab driver.
Speaker 2: There's his arm around her.
Speaker 3: Like a creepy element, like wait, the cab driver that just wouldn't leave, Like, I know.
Speaker 4: I think Alison needs to tell Billy you cannot pick up any women as a cab driver.
Speaker 3: I'm over this, yeah, just like don't don't speak like.
Speaker 2: Speak.
Speaker 3: I wonder how long he's going to be a cab driver. Since I wasn't there, I have no idea how long he'll also.
Speaker 1: Sign of the times right in La, you don't see cabs moving around looking for customers on the street anymore, looking for women bent over their car anymore.
Speaker 3: Looking like Andrew Shoe Anyway, none of these things exist in real life. Billy invites don to stay, maybe they could grab a pizza or something. She says she needs to catch the last bus, the downtown bus home. Billy offers her a ride driving her home instead, which she then accepts.
Speaker 1: And I guess we take the bus home.
Speaker 3: Did he drive? Maybe he drove, Maybe he didn't drive.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you so he would be driving his cab right or does he have another car? This poor guy, like he's driving his cab everywhere, just turning.
Speaker 2: It on off duty.
Speaker 3: That's right, I love, We'll just walk so Alison here rolls her eyes. Don makes one more awkward joke on her exit, and she says somebody out of bottle the sky from a.
Speaker 1: Purposes out on Alison.
Speaker 3: So then Billy and daughter having a great time late night coffee at a table for two. Billy learns that Dawn was married for eight years. She tells him that her ex didn't really support her dreams, and Billy commiserates, says, yeah, it's really hard when someone you love doesn't support you. Then he reaches across the table for her hand, saying, sometimes it helps if there's someone there to catch you.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: Now we would call that love bombing.
Speaker 4: I think it's a little I think it's just a big love bomber in this whole episode.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a lot.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he felt hard and fast, like I can be there to catch you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I will be your hero.
Speaker 3: Yeah we've only just met and I know I'm your cab driver. But then we cut to Shooters. Jake is asking Sandy out for a burger after work. She's not so sure. Didn't they already try this one? She thinks, So Sandy tells Jake, you know, I think that you know, after our one night stand, I was ready for more and Jake says, well, then let's let's try this again. Let's try to wipe the slate clean. We'll start over this time, just as friends. And I feel like Jake is super earnest here.
Speaker 1: He's super He had a line that I promise you Grant fought, where he says, abstinence makes the heart girl fonder and she goes absence, and I was like, Grant was like, honestly, does he have to sound so stupid? Like I know that Grant Grant said it through gritted teeth. I was like, he does not like that, lie? Did you notice?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Well, I also got the sense that he, you know, he tried to do it like a wink and not like the character's like, I know the difference. I just have to say this line like, you know, like the character does.
Speaker 1: He even made it work. But I could hear him having an argument. I could see him like, oh, I don't I don't want to, but.
Speaker 2: I have to.
Speaker 3: Yeah, It's like the whole scene was written just to get to that line, Abstinence makes the heart grow fonder. So they decide to give it a shot, maybe a platonic date, we'll see. But we cut back to Billy and Don at the pizza place.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: There, he's taking her home there, walking through the hallway of her apartment, and the night almost ends in a kiss at the door. After Billy ends, he suggests that the night doesn't need to end, but the apartment door opens, revealing a young boy and his babysitter. Don introduces Billy to her son Martin, and relieves the babysitter, which is.
Speaker 1: The name of a fifty year old comedy writer.
Speaker 2: Martin Martin. Yeah, it was Marty.
Speaker 3: Martin is the name of the child, and Billy.
Speaker 1: Is the name.
Speaker 4: Is Martin played by Justin Izfeld. He's the guy who went on to be in all the American Pie movies.
Speaker 3: Yes, so the kid playing Martin Martin Martin, mister child Martin, Well he was. He was great in this episode. And it's just so funny that that was the character's name. I laughed about it through the whole time to him as Martin. There's actually one point actually in this next scene I didn't know I caught Alison laughing at it too.
Speaker 1: Did you get to I feel like you couldn't help it.
Speaker 3: So, yeah, we're back at Allison in Billy's apartment, Allison's getting ready for work in the morning. Billy returns home, saying that he it's not that he was out late with down, but that he actually drove the graveyard shift last night. And oh yeah, by the way, Don has a son Martin.
Speaker 1: Wait, is this what I'm doing? The crossword puzzle?
Speaker 3: No, oh, okay, you're just getting ready for else we blazer on and oh yeah a belt, Yeah, that's kind of yeah. And then but I just I laughed because al he says Don has a son, Martin. He's like, well, Martin was there and mar.
Speaker 2: Martin a fifty year old man.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Sarah, what was her dad doing there? Grandpa?
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh. So yeah, No, Billy says, this is a kid. I'm still interested in Dawn. I'm just concerned about the complications of having a kid around, and Alison is sort of empathetic, saying, well, it must be really hard to be a single mom and have guys running away at the side of your kid, which seemed to sort of encourage Billy, who says, yeah, maybe I'm just being selfish. I can do this even with the kid around. But Alison pushes him and questions sort of whether Billy is mature enough to understand how to handle the dynamic of a whole family, at which time he turns it on her, saying that just because Alison is intimidated by children, and Alison's like, what, I was a great babysitter. Everyone said so.
Speaker 1: So everyone's talking about it to this day.
Speaker 3: It's so weird. So that was sort of a funny, Like he tries to say, well, just because you're intimidated doesn't mean I can't handle it, and it comes out of yeah, because that was a really mature way sitting on that one, real mature Billy. We're back with Ronda and Sandy. Sandy's getting ready for her date with Jake, and Ronda is warning her that Jake never called her back the first time and he may not have really changed, you know, any in the last time.
Speaker 4: Never called them back after they hooked up, after they had their one night stand. Yeah, and then they sow that whole course, the whole theme of this is, you know, they're trying to be platonic, and Billy is trying to see.
Speaker 2: If he's good father materially, you know what I mean. Like it's kind of.
Speaker 4: They always seem to do this, like these two sort of parallel stories are opposite.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Ronda is saying to Sandy, you know, you guys hooked up and then he never called you, and.
Speaker 2: I think it. I don't know.
Speaker 4: I was thinking, like god in the same apartment building, like we have just banged on his door, and so what that? Well?
Speaker 1: But also I felt like, are we pretending that we haven't seen them flirt in every single episode? Right, Like it's not like that's what happened and they didn't speak till this moment, right, they're almost doing it in every single Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well then they're trying.
Speaker 4: To do it platonically now just be friends trying. It's like new territory. Sorry for them.
Speaker 3: And Ronda is saying to Sandy, like, you do you trust him? Do you feel like you can trust him? And Sandy ends that scene by saying, well, I don't know if I can trust myself, which is sort of the foreshadowing of like, oh, we just can't keep our hands off each other. You know, I don't know if I can, because it's just.
Speaker 1: She's like a cat on a hot tin room. Yeah that she does never accent anymore.
Speaker 3: Indeed, then we could really identify. So then dinner at the dinner table at Down's house is Billy Down and Martin child. Yeah, super awkward and tense. At the dinner table, Martin wants nothing to do with Billy. Billy does offer to drive Dawn to her gig coming up in Ventura, and because Dawn reminds him that her car is broken down, but Martin the child says no way, will I ride with Billy? And then a screaming fight ensued.
Speaker 1: And I don't know if it's a sign of the times, but now like when people are divorced with kids in they date, it's like nobody meets the kids for six months. You would never have your first date.
Speaker 3: Yeah at home at the family dinner table.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'd like you to call Billy daddy. I know you just met her.
Speaker 3: He was my cab driver yesterday today to take your new daddy. Oh god, you so Down and Martin start yelling at each other, and that screaming fight reveals that Martin's dad, in Dawn's words, won't pay child support, and therefore Dawn is struggling to find that three hundred dollars that she needs to fix her car, and Billy seems to want to stick this out. Instead of finding that very concerning of how they scream, she.
Speaker 1: Seems to hear it is a direct question.
Speaker 3: Yeah, my god, sorry, let me try to solve the money problem instead of going why is this mother screaming so ragefully at her child? Which I thought was a fair question. I mean, I'm watching this for the first time.
Speaker 1: Going wow, I see a red flag.
Speaker 3: Like to me, seemed like not your typical mother son relationship. But anyway, there Dawn says something she needs to apologize for us as she leaves the table to go apologize to Smart and leaving Billy alone.
Speaker 1: The wheels are turning. Considering wheels are turning, there's a plan being formed.
Speaker 3: So Sandy and Jake are at their bar after their movie date, congratulating themselves on getting through the movie without jumping each other's bones.
Speaker 4: They're trying not to entangle themselves, and Billy's trying to desperately to entangle himself anyway.
Speaker 3: He cannot be right, and so the conversation quickly takes a turn when Jake reminds Sandy just how tricky it is to have Sandy live in just right upstairs, and he says I don't know how many times I thought about coming upstairs and.
Speaker 1: Just dot dot dot yeah.
Speaker 3: And Sandy agrees, I know what you mean, and uh yeah, So it just took a very quick turn. So much for congratulating themselves.
Speaker 2: Oh I mean that, I don't know.
Speaker 4: You see the heat between them for so many episodes, and so it is.
Speaker 2: You know it's not going to work.
Speaker 4: But I mean, it's just this whole storyline makes total sense with me and to me, you know, because they're all they are is like sex, these two, you know, they're the sexual characters on the show, and.
Speaker 2: Let's just try to be friends and this whole thing, oh yes, well, how was your day? You know, the kind of thing just isn't going to be them. You know, they're gonna end up ripping each other so close it off.
Speaker 1: Here's what I don't understand about this conflict, which is we're great friends, about the hats for each other. Isn't that the perfect relationship? I mean, I think that's the ideal.
Speaker 2: I know, why are they what's the problem?
Speaker 1: See the problem?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: Great?
Speaker 4: I think because they don't know how to do what comes next, which is being responsible to each other, being respectful, having a conversation. You know that that ideally that happened after you, you know, hook.
Speaker 2: Up, and they just kind of like freak out. That's all they know how to do is a hookup.
Speaker 1: So once they have sex, they kill the friendship. They can't maintain both. They don't know how to Well yeah, exactly, because I was thinking that sounds very good to me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well it does sound like like Sandy's feelings were hurt, like wait a minute, you know we have this it turned out to be a one night stand, but like she thought, you know, not hearing from him about it after, like it never happened again, or like hello, like what oh you just yeah.
Speaker 2: Listen, you've been married how many years? But for those of us who haven't.
Speaker 1: And it's still just as hot as the first is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean he does call you, right, we actually still speak.
Speaker 2: You text you from the kitchen, you do, hey, how you doing? What are you wearing? Get in the car to go to rehearsal, and he's like, you're so hot?
Speaker 3: Every day? Nice every day we tell each other.
Speaker 4: I guess what I wanted to get to is that I think a lot of women can relate to you know that the hunt is over and then you don't hear from them. Yeah, interesting to remember those back in the day many years ago.
Speaker 3: Well back to Don's house, Yes, speaking of creepy, Billy lets himself into Martin's bedroom while he's maybe sleeping, but it turns out Martin's lying in bed crying, not sleeping. Billy just sort of walks in and says he wants to talk to Martin like men, which Martin points out that he can't really do because he's a kid. Also, you're a stranger entered my bedroom.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so there's that, which we never kind of address, but I was conscious of it the entire scene.
Speaker 4: But this whole thing is very Billy to me. He's just kind of like clueless and privileged, like this good look and what guy can do whatever, Like it doesn't even dawn on him that I should be going in there.
Speaker 3: There's a line you shouldn't cross, here's a relationship.
Speaker 1: I imagine. On the day, Andrews said, really, yes, it's fine, he's all right.
Speaker 3: I feel like it was a directorial thing, like, Okay, it's too hard to shoot the whole scene with you just standing in the doorway and have these conversations. So ony don't you go over and sit on the bed like it just got really well.
Speaker 4: They always love you close to each other on set, so they don't have to do all these different angles like the over the shoulder and this and that. They just if they can just get you in one shot, that would be so get close somehow.
Speaker 2: Don't you remember that though?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, but it's And it's also like you can tell by the music cues, like what they wanted the tone of the scene to feel like, oh that this needs to feel like a really intimate, like you know, adult child conversation, and he's being really gentle, and the music he was very hallmarky schmaltzy, you know, but it's like, wait, we're not addressing the weirdness like sitting down on the kid's bed uninvited, Like yeah, not Andrew's.
Speaker 1: Fault, not Andrews fault, No, no, no.
Speaker 3: Just a pitfall. And so he tries to he tries to bond with Martin. I keep wanting to call Martin Billy because that's a child's name. Yes, okay, Billy the adult wants to bond with Martin the child over the terminator movies and wants to talk to him and say, oh, you're you know, you're a fan of this too, and he reminds Martin that the terminator was always there for the kid and his mother, but Martin says, yeah, but the terminator went away in the end, and then Billy says, yeah, but that was in the movie. This is real. Kind of a creepy scene, but I think the point was is that Billy's just continuing to want to insert himself.
Speaker 1: In this relationship to be the hero is fantasy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, he wants to be the hero. Jake and Sandy are returning home and they're in the courtyard. Instead of saying good night with just a handshake and a hug, they start making out and Jake lets them into his apartment, bringing her onto the couch, making out all the way until Sandy stops him and says, wait, we are supposed to be taking it slow, at which time Sandy accuses Jake of getting carried away, saying it's all this is all he's ever wanted, but Jake is confusing. Wait wait, I thought this was mutual that hug and then there was much more. I detected it. We're both getting carried away. And then Sandy's pissed off because she says, you know, there's nothing between us besides sex. They yell at each other and Sandy storms out, saying we're nothing, there's nothing between us. So that was abrupt, very abrupt.
Speaker 1: This is the part they have trouble with. That's what Daphney was saying. Once the sex comes into it, they have trouble communicating. So now I see it, Thank you, thank you, I see it.
Speaker 4: You see what a therapeutic show this is for people working to do.
Speaker 2: We're working through for everybody.
Speaker 3: So Billy comes home to find Allison awake doing a crossword puzzle.
Speaker 1: Okay, so this is my question. Four letter word from Behemoth huge.
Speaker 3: That's the one I thought of.
Speaker 1: Did you think of that?
Speaker 2: I don't even remember that.
Speaker 3: I thought Behemoth would have been a better answer to something like I think they.
Speaker 1: Wanted the audience to get it. He's like TV guy, yeah, yeah, yeah, Melrose blank.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, thank goodness. I feel so smart that we both got the same word.
Speaker 1: So we found out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that wasn't to lie to you and lie.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Billy's sort of hanging his head about needing three hundred dollars and Alison says, wait, I can loan you the money, what's it for, At which time he lies to Alison, making up a story about his own car being damaged and that he needs to fix it for his job. Allison says she'll happily help them, because, after all, it's for his job, and wouldn't he just do the same for her?
Speaker 1: I know, weren't you just yeah, she only has five hundred and twelve dollars in her account, so she's giving him more than half that.
Speaker 3: Very generous.
Speaker 2: You know exactly how much you had.
Speaker 1: I was, I was doing the math in my head.
Speaker 3: Billy's face is racked with guilt over the lie.
Speaker 1: Yes, sort of.
Speaker 3: Sort of, not guilty enough to tell the truth, but he's going to do it anyway. So the next day he delivers the money to Dawn, and she said, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, this is all going too fast for me. Even though she appreciates the help, she does reveal at that point that she's overwhelmed by Billy's sort of like willingness to help and she doesn't even have a babysitter for the gig, and this is all too much, and what Billy is doing, which is helping her, is really scary, she says, and Billy says it's scary for him too. What can I say? He says, I think you're the greatest, and Don's face shows a little bit of trepidation, like, wow, this capt is coming on.
Speaker 1: It's a lot, Yeah, it's a lot.
Speaker 3: So then Jake and Michael are doing launder in the launder room, Jake and his tank top of course, and Jake is angry again, telling Michael that he tried to do what Michael told him to do, taking it slow, but it didn't work out, and angrily he tells Michael that every so often Sandy would God forbid smile at him and then forget it.
Speaker 1: Clearly the messages she was asking for she was again not exactly what he's saying.
Speaker 2: I didn't really play for bid she.
Speaker 3: Smiled at me and then forget it. Yeah, of course, what was I supposed to do?
Speaker 2: You know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Yeah, And then the scene cuts to Sandy telling Ronda her version of it where Jake was all over her like a cheap suit. So they're both venting their to their friends.
Speaker 2: Like yeah, that was good, I like it.
Speaker 3: Back and forth, and it went back a couple of times.
Speaker 2: The boys and the girls all have different.
Speaker 3: And you know, like, well, I kind of told you so, and Sandy's like, please don't say that, and uh, but that both of them can clue to their friends that the other one is not ready for a commitment or a serious relationship. So then we're back with Billy and the child Martin. Billy is bringing the child Martin home to his apartment, where they surprise Alison in her robe doing her pedicure, and Billy's going to be babysitting for the day.
Speaker 1: And I like the fact that Martin's mother said to the man who went into her son's bedroom the first night they met, and an't you take him for the evening?
Speaker 3: Why don't you have the whole day?
Speaker 1: Why don't you go on your own date.
Speaker 3: Yeah, while I'm on a town you just have my kid for the whole day. Do whatever you want, go ahead and take him to your apartment. Whatever. So, yeah, luckily Alison was there, so she.
Speaker 1: Was really worried about the stand up. Maybe she should have been worried about the parenting. Maybe there was maybe we had the focus. There's a lot to worry about here, But Alison is there. She tries to offer Martin a snack Billy and Allison are sort of trying to figure out how to babysit together, and then Billy suggests, why don't we go to Magic Mountain?
Speaker 3: Magic Mountain?
Speaker 2: So I want to know, did you you guys shot there? Do you remember that?
Speaker 1: Because we were right next to Magic Mountain. I remembered watching it was that there was an article in the Inquirer that I got off a ride and threw up. That's what I remember, really, mm hmmm, and did you? And there was something about Heather, which was funny because Heather wasn't even in the scene, but Heather was there and we got in a fight.
Speaker 3: Yeah, really loved the Inquirer for that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's fun faction.
Speaker 2: It's weird that they were just like, did you feel nauseous at all? Maybe now you know they.
Speaker 1: Just make random stuff up.
Speaker 3: Well, I thought the footage of you guys on the roller coaster was adorable. You guys are like legitimately joyful, like smiling that that's like roller coaster smile that you can't wipe off your face.
Speaker 2: It's just so sad.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and what was he like to work with now that we're what was Martin the kid?
Speaker 2: Oh? He's fine.
Speaker 1: You know, the kids are sweet. They've got their mom there and the teacher there and you're rushing around. But he was sweet.
Speaker 3: I mean, yeah, and you got to go on a roller coaster.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like what a fun job for a fun job.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So at the end of that scene, Martin is getting a snack at a snackstand and Billy and Allison are having a conversation. Billy reminds Allison reminds Billy how much of a commitment it would be to actually have a kid full time. Billy says, well, maybe someday, Alison, you'll have kids because someone yeah, everyone wants. Every woman wants to be a mom.
Speaker 2: He said, you say to him, I don't want kids.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And he says every woman wants to be a mom.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So as someone the only person here who doesn't have kids and who never wanted them, that's very common, especially I've had that coming from.
Speaker 3: Men, just the assumption that every woman wants to.
Speaker 2: Be the declarative statement, right, every woman wants to.
Speaker 1: Have children, or and that you'll regret it if you don't.
Speaker 2: All these yea in society to have a kid? Does that, you know?
Speaker 4: And I loved the term that my girlfriend of mine who doesn't have kids, who never wanted them child free.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I like that.
Speaker 1: I like that too. That's great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's great to know that about your scene.
Speaker 2: It is great.
Speaker 1: Not do it because it's hard, and if you don't want to do it, you shouldn't do it.
Speaker 2: Absolutely should absolutely yea shouldn't.
Speaker 1: But I saw this scene and you guys will see it when when your episodes come up. I just wanted to redo it. I'm like, can I ever redo for this scene? I would play this so differently if I could just act, like, if we could redo the scene differently. Yeah, I just I didn't. I didn't like the way I played it, and I was like, oh, it was just I felt like it was just one note. Like I just sort of went through it. And I think it was out of fear, probably that the material felt scary to me. So I just sort of went through it and it was just you'll see, like there were scenes where you go, oh, I'd love another shot.
Speaker 3: I'm sure I love another shot at most of my scenes, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: But there are some that you really go, oh boy, I misplayed it well.
Speaker 3: Also, just the subject matter with him saying every woman wants this, and you're like, as the character, I don't. I don't think I want this, and I don't think I could handle it.
Speaker 1: Like I don't think I was mature enough as a person that like I could play. I understood everything about that scene, now, That's what it was. It was like I didn't have the layers that the scene needed because I just think I wasn't there yet. I was twenty four, like I was thinking, of course, I'll be a mom and half like I just wasn't. I hadn't had the complicated thoughts about it that the scene needed.
Speaker 3: Well, for what it's worth, I thought you did at a very age appropriate level, like I did, think you thank you.
Speaker 1: For that plays it strategy age appropriate level.
Speaker 2: It was fine.
Speaker 3: That was that was the character's age, you know, that was the character's point of view at her age, and.
Speaker 1: So I think they can only do so much. So Courtney, what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: Forty, I thought you were great in the scene and I got it like that you were. You know, that was a complicated conversation, and I thought that like Billy again was sort of inserting himself and making assumptions that he wasn't his to make they rode the roller coaster. They had this weird conversation and then they they we go back to back to the courtyard where the gang is in the pool.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that was like Matt came to so Doug came to work to get in the pool.
Speaker 3: He had a dinner party scene and then he was in the pool and I think that was all of his appearances. And they're playing with Martin the Kid.
Speaker 4: I noticed that Billy is doing his soccer stuff at.
Speaker 3: This Yeah, he had a couple of good headers, like, yeah, it's like basketball soccer in the pool.
Speaker 4: Because at that point, well he had already played Andrew had already played with the Galaxy, right, remember.
Speaker 1: Remember when that happened?
Speaker 3: Did happened professional soccer? I think in in Africa, right, that's where he's here.
Speaker 2: Where was he La Galaxy?
Speaker 4: But in our interview he said but I don't remember if he said afterwards or before he did the show.
Speaker 1: I think he taught in Africa and played soccer, and I feel like he played for the Galaxy latering the show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I think it over. I think happened showing off a little stuff there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, cool, So they were having a good time playing in the pool, and Alison's sitting poolside talking with Ronda and Jane, and Alison is observing that Billy actually kind of looks like he's great at this and it's the first time she sees him as acting like an actual adult. And Alison tells Ronda and Jane that she loves kids but doesn't think she could be ever ready to be a mom. Ronda sort of agrees, and Jane says that no one ever feels like they're ready, but that you'd be surprised.
Speaker 2: Jane is pregnant.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know that now, right, Yeah, she's the one now that is experienced.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she says, I wasn't exactly feeling like I was ready, but then all of a sudden, you know.
Speaker 2: She's so young.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you'd be surprised how it she changed, she says. And so Billy and Allison are watching Martin's sleep later. He's exhausted after his big day. He's sleeping peacefully and they're they both think it's so sweet watching him sleep, and then there's a knock of the door. It's Dawn returning after her gig, which.
Speaker 1: Really, I think messes with Allison's little happy family fantasy. I have going. I don't think I'm very happy to see her.
Speaker 2: I don't think so.
Speaker 3: I think they had like this long, great day together, and like, even without speaking of it, they both are sort of feeling like.
Speaker 1: Wow, this woman comes and takes our child child.
Speaker 2: Imagine that right out of her fantasy.
Speaker 3: But so Don is as grateful as she is for the babysitting help. She thanks Billy for making all the difference because it was a big boost to her career by being able to do the show. And thanks for loaning me the money to fix my.
Speaker 2: Car, she says, three hundred dollars.
Speaker 3: So not only is Alison jealous of this woman, but now she's furious to learn that Billy has lied about what the money was for.
Speaker 2: And and those big blue eyes are like, you lied.
Speaker 1: They're full of rage, they're.
Speaker 2: Full of.
Speaker 4: Talk about having a fantasy burst. Well, the mother walks in with his fantasy job, and then.
Speaker 2: Your friend, you're you know, the guy has lied to you. So it's like poof back to reality.
Speaker 3: And they kissed goodbye at the door, like Don leaves, and they kiss right in front of Alison, and then she's like just slapping the face and then he says, well, I was you know, yes, yes, you were doing something unselfish and responsible with the money, but it was at my expense.
Speaker 1: That was a good line. I thought, at my expense, that's a great way to say your line.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and where does he say, imagine it in my shoes? Imagine it from my point of view?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that's after after she leaves, right.
Speaker 4: Imagine if from my point I'm like, no, why you acted it out?
Speaker 3: So yeah, after stupid, I can't imagine it.
Speaker 1: I've learned that from years of couples therapy.
Speaker 3: I have imagined it, and it's dumb. So yeah, after Don leaves, Allison says, Billy, you do this every time, jumping headfirst into a relationship without a moment's thought. And Billy says, unlike you, who you know, you withhold all all your feelings. And Allison accuses Billy of play acting as an adult living in a dream world because it can barely take care of himself. But Billy apologizes about the money, says we'll pay her back. Allison says she thinks she could never trust him again. So it ends on a very bad feeling between the two.
Speaker 1: My mother said that to me one time when I ate half an ice cream sandwich and light about it, what'd she say? She can never trust you again. She may have been a slight overreaction.
Speaker 3: It might be her favorite food.
Speaker 1: Ever, Hence I'd like to ask her if she's held true to that.
Speaker 3: Are you over right yet?
Speaker 1: Mom?
Speaker 4: I can never trust clearly, I'm not because you said you didn't need any of it.
Speaker 1: This is stupid. I was I ate half of it, like if I'd taken all of it, you ate half of it, put the other half back and situated. I was like, no, sending more on their tolf ice cream.
Speaker 3: God, oh boy, the things we remember lying, yeah, gracious. So then the next day, Bill it's a Dawn's apartment and he's walking down the hall overhearing shouting inside, so he barges in to discover the ex husband is there, and the ex husband and Donn are screaming at each other. Billy tries to get in the middle of it, says, you know, I care more about her than you ever did. He shoves the guy. When the guy makes a comment, boll like, what do you look Martin?
Speaker 1: Our kid?
Speaker 3: Watch you guys again.
Speaker 1: He's known her for all of three and a half years.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but yeah, so that doesn't go well. The X leaves saying he'll be back at noon to pick up his kid. But after he Don is upset and he's upset with Billy, like, get the heck out of the situation where you don't belong, And.
Speaker 2: That was time.
Speaker 3: We find out that Martin has seen and her the whole thing. So who gives you the right to interfere, she says to Billy, and Billy says he just wanted to help.
Speaker 1: Try it.
Speaker 3: Here's where it is. Try and understand how I feel, He says it to Don, try and understand how I feel. But Don reminds him here that you're a twenty three year old Cabby who is not ready to take on responsibilities that my life comes with.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I thought that was That's the crux of the whole show is like you're in a fantasy.
Speaker 4: You want to swoop in and be my savior. You gave me the three hundred dollars, but it's a fantasy. And I you really see in this scene where she's like, you know, once it ends, once you leave, I still have this kid, I still have this ex husband, I still have to get child support. I have to support everything, and it's like real life. Yeah, and you get to see how naive he was, even though he's well intended. I think he's just trying to be a grown up, you know, and trying to be responsible.
Speaker 2: And I'm with Billy, I'm like, yeah, you're right, I'm out take it.
Speaker 3: You could have the kid and the X and all that, except he's not. He's not thinking that. She's saying, here, here's your money, going to pay back the money, and you know, she tells how things are not always black and white and you should just take this money and you should go. So she asks him to go. Then back with Sandy, who's storming down to Jane and Michael's apartment the next morning because her dress class, or maybe that night, because her dress closet is broken. She has a dress closet and her heart.
Speaker 1: I have enough dresses to fill a closet.
Speaker 2: You shouldn't.
Speaker 3: I hope you have a dress closet, but.
Speaker 1: Like, I didn't know you could even have one.
Speaker 3: I don't remember Melrose's place having dress clauses, only Sandy's apartment.
Speaker 2: I heard of that term ever in my life. No dress clause.
Speaker 3: That's where she keeps her dresses in her special closet that locks. I guess from the inside.
Speaker 2: They are like, you know, I don't know fancy dresses are in there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but Jane suggests that maybe Jake could help her get fix the door and get her dressed closet and locked. Since Michael is at the hospital, Jeeke is in the courtyard fixing his motorcycle, and I guess decides to help her because we cut inside the apartment where he's messing around with the lock. Something weird happens where he's trying to get it unstuck, and he goes flying across the room and he hurts himself and he lands on the ground. So like their banter was really angry with each other while he's trying to fix the door, but the minute he falls sexual, Yes, angry as all.
Speaker 2: The innuendos yep.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And wait, is it an on TNDRA or an innuendo?
Speaker 3: I think there's both.
Speaker 2: Is there both in there? Like one screw yeah, and you're on your own or something one. I don't know, I can't but it was these Melrose things. Yeah, I don't know if those are ons.
Speaker 3: But the innuendo is there as well. So then he all of a sudden, they start laughing when he falls, and they sort of like change their tune and they're nice to each other again, and they both admit that maybe they should just stick to, you know, enjoying the friendship that they have. Sandy admits that she doesn't actually have a hot date that night, she just needed address because she's going to the movies with Ronda, and all is suddenly right between Jake and Sandy. All he needed was a good like what you know fall.
Speaker 1: I'm curious to see if we sort of tied this up in the boat or if it starts again in the next episode.
Speaker 3: This is definitely ties up in this episode like for today, quick and wrap up of that.
Speaker 4: So this is episode nine, yes, no, yeah, okay, a few more episodes until someone else comes to town.
Speaker 3: I know we're more than halfway to Daphney people.
Speaker 2: More than half the blonde was there. I think she was already gone.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think she left at thirteen. I think yeah, And you came at nineteen, almost halfway to.
Speaker 3: Lara, almost halfway to Laura.
Speaker 4: I could say you could say goodbye to the Brady Bunch version of Melroe's place.
Speaker 3: Yeah, things are gonna get way different soon. So then Billy comes home with the money for Allison again. He apologizes to her for screwing things up and he doesn't want her to stop trusting him. She says that she understands he was just trying to be noble, but he just wasn't being realistic. He said he was trying to be needed, not just to be cared for, like he feels like he's always being cared for by others. He liked being needed, and he actually wants to talk to Dawn again. So like, as much as things seem to be wrapped up with Billy and Allison, he still wants to go back and try again with Don.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I think this is right, you guys.
Speaker 4: I think it's honest of him to say I just wanted to be needed. He created this whole scenario so he could insert himself to feel needed.
Speaker 2: I mean, what's the boy to do if you're.
Speaker 4: Not that needed, you're going to create the situation. I think it's honest of him to say that.
Speaker 3: Oh, it's totally honest.
Speaker 1: I do.
Speaker 3: I agree. I'm just like, no that she asked him to leave, Like, you should just take this money and you should just go right, And so he goes back to Alison. Instead of saying, hey, I can take a hint. Even though I liked being needed, she doesn't want me there, right, He can't take that. He's like, you know, I'm going to go see her again tonight, right, So he just tries one more time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm gonna I need her to need me, So I'm gonna need to go over there to get her to say I need you.
Speaker 2: But she's not gonna say, let's see what happens, So off he goes.
Speaker 3: He goes back to Dawn's stand up show, and this time her whole set is about divorce and relationships and falling for the wrong guys, all these guys who are living out their superhero fantasies. And Billy's listening and he's realizing as he's listening to what she's saying that she doesn't want to be rescued. She actually wants commitment. Billy's face is starting to say, maybe he's not so sure he can be that guy commitment man.
Speaker 4: He is also feeling mocked and like she specifically is writing this material about him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it sure looks like it.
Speaker 2: It's that's humiliating. Yeah right, yeah, it.
Speaker 3: Does look But he meets her at the bar after the set and he tries once more, and don says, you know, we should just leave it alone. And he says, but I you know, I want to I get it, but I do want to continue spending time with you. And she says, I'm the one who's not ready and I just need to make it on my own and with all the things in my life, there's just no room for you, Billy, she says. So Billy finally takes a hint, and he says, okay, but can I say buy to Martin who's the kid? And she says she says, no, I don't think that's a good idea.
Speaker 2: He tells you, for either of you, He's going to start it back up, get.
Speaker 3: The hook, he tells her. Then can you just tell Martin that I said Austill la Vista Baby, Martin will understand.
Speaker 1: Oh that is cute.
Speaker 3: So the next morning, Billy's at home reading the paper at the apartment. He's dreaming about all the places he's never traveled and realizing that freedom is great. Maybe he will just go to all these great places and yeah's young, no ties to anyone, and he also says that having a family was great for a second, if only for a second, and it's something to look forward to someday. And then the flirty flirty between Billy and ellis the right person, a flirty conversation about who might that be with, and Alison leaves with a super flirty look to him and says, huh, you never know. I'm right in front of you.
Speaker 2: You ding dong.
Speaker 3: Pretty sure that's what that looks said. So, yeah, we have another episode where things are neatly wrapped up, and like you said, it's not going to be that way pretty soon. The whole tone of the show is going to change, which we know.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, and it's not always wrapped up. I feel like these are morality place a little bit, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: Like I got lesson learned.
Speaker 4: Well, yeah, Like you have the Jake and the Sandy, these kind of sexualized characters trying to just be buds and go to a movie and not hop in the sack, and then you have these two having their whole chance to have this fantasy family going to the amusement park and everything, and I just feel like this is a whole Melrose Place that I never knew existed exactly. It's like these morality plays, do you know what I mean? Like lessons learned, Yeah, and like teaching.
Speaker 3: It's so funny for Daphne I to watch it, so not there, and then I'm.
Speaker 4: Cut to her on the boat and she's being like smacked around and that baby.
Speaker 3: Is such a different chobe. But like they're all like teaching each other, Like Alison is really teaching Billy you you know, you need to learn this, and this is a perfect example of this. And then by the end of the episode he's sort of learning it or whatever, like she.
Speaker 2: Was right, you know.
Speaker 3: But it's just such an interesting difference between where it's going. Jake so earnestly trying to be like a guy who knows how to be friends with a girl I really want to try, Yeah, Michael trying to help them anyway. So we had a kiss count in this one. There were a couple of kisses, a couple, yeah, a couple of new characters, a couple old characters, a couple.
Speaker 1: Of shirtless in the pool, but not we're shifting away from that. It's not like so it's interesting because it started with kissing that it sort of came off and then pretty soon it's going to be just a free for all. It's just like people making out.
Speaker 3: Well, I know, I threatened to make like a chart, like I think I'm gonna do it to like just keep track. It's almost like a family tree, like like I think I need to make a chart, like before it's too late and keep track like.
Speaker 2: Of who kissed Who?
Speaker 3: You won't be able to keep I better start now, if I better start the chart.
Speaker 2: Do you guys want to answer a couple of fan questions?
Speaker 3: Yeah, we have some questions.
Speaker 2: That's so fun.
Speaker 4: There's a couple of questions we have to The first one is how long did it take for an episode to be filmed and then actually air? It was seven days to film, Okay, So then shows were traditionally seven or eight.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we were.
Speaker 2: Some were seven and some were eight.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we were seven. And when in the first season before we did double ups, it was right on our tail because they found out reruns didn't do well, so we would be shooting to finish to get it out almost immediately.
Speaker 3: They'd have a few weeks of post production, like yeah, so we would.
Speaker 1: Start in August and I think it would start on the air in September October, so we'd be a few episodes ahead, and then when it caught up with us, we'd do double ups and get all those episodes in the camp.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So what do you think, was it about four weeks of post production after we'd finished shooting, they had about three to four weeks before it would be on the air.
Speaker 1: Yeah, until except those times when it was getting really super tight. Yeah, and it turned around. Yeah, that was when the show started to do really well. Yeah, and they just kept adding in the first season. Remember we're supposed to do twenty six. Then they added and added and added to we got to thirty three. We did it full twelve months in a row the first season.
Speaker 4: I didn't know until saying this, it's kind of faint bells are being wrong here of it not doing well in reruns.
Speaker 2: People just wanted fresh, fresh, fresh, story fresh. What's happening now?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, I wonder if if it's a certain kind of show that doesn't do well in reruns cereals.
Speaker 1: So once we started, like I was thinking, you don't have scenes from the last episode because they didn't really connect at this point, right, But eventually you have to have the scene so that you can tell them what happens, so they're up to date because it started moving through the story so fast by the end of the first season.
Speaker 3: And also like, if we're shooting a seven day shooting schedule, Let's say you start on a Monday, so you finish it on the following Tuesday for seven days, and you immediately start on Wednesday on the next episode, So it just keeps rolling back to back to back, and Wednesday is day one of the seven days of the next episode. So it was just like this constant Yeah, seven.
Speaker 1: Work days, right, right, seven workdays, not like yeah, Monday to Sunday.
Speaker 2: It is, and there was Friday.
Speaker 3: There was never a day in between, Like it's not like, okay, we finished that episode, take a day and breathe. No, it was like, well, right, like.
Speaker 4: You're shooting the last scenes that need to be shot for that episode, and then you're getting this script in the makeup of being your trailer hoot off the presses.
Speaker 1: Remember from so remember going out to see your changes in the morning. Get yeah, change in blue pages. Yeah, they've actually delivered papers.
Speaker 4: The other question here is did you have extended time off or did you work twelve months of the year. Well, I remember, well, we didn't work twelve so I remember, I don't remember working twelve.
Speaker 1: I remember you came in at fourteen. Correct, Yeah, so you didn't work twelve months because you came in later. But we those of us are there from day one, work twelve months in row. The first season.
Speaker 4: Well, I came in halfway through the first season, right fifteen. So I guess my question is Courtney, twelve months means you didn't have time off.
Speaker 2: You didn't.
Speaker 4: I was going to say we had two weeks off for Christmas. You had to have Christmas vacation off, and then you have to have usually a hiatus, and ours was short.
Speaker 1: The first season. We didn't have a hiatus because we did thirty three episodes in a row. So normally your your ten and a half month season is twenty four or twenty six episodes. But because then we added more, we went from I think July to July. We would get I remember Loan and Jefferson, we would date, announce more shows, they get good news, and she and I would both be fining like she'd be. We'd both go out because we were so bone tired because fourteen to sixteen hours a day for twelve months in a row, learning like we were so beaten up. But then normally you get two and a half months, so you end in okay.
Speaker 2: But what I'm talking about is we didn't have two and a half months. We had a few weeks. But everyone has to have Christmas vacation two weeks right at least.
Speaker 3: But it sounds like between seasons that first year when they realized, yeah they needed to get on get on the air.
Speaker 4: Someone having twenty two episodes, they would finish in let's say March or April, and then you wouldn't shoot again till summer.
Speaker 2: But we never had that.
Speaker 1: Well, the next year we did double ups. We'd have two months, we had May and June off. We'd go back a lot.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, I remember shooting a couple of miniseries during that and I just using up eating at my hiatus.
Speaker 2: So was it two months we had off?
Speaker 1: I remember being six to eight weeks.
Speaker 3: It felt like a really brief time. I had to schedule a knee surgery in there and get recovered, and it was like it just felt like a really small window. And even you know for the crew too, like they have that those windows too. It's like everybody needs to schedule their important stuff for like their family, the right. But yeah, it definitely like.
Speaker 1: Stuff like I remember I say I'm not working. Then I had a month off and I got rested. So then I did a TV movie and then it was right back to work, and I was like, oh man, that I should have just rested. But yeah, you feel like, okay, yeah, sure I can do that, and then it's just boom boom boom.
Speaker 4: But we were young and we were more inter do that's for sure. Yeah, so did you have So the answer to that is we did not have extended time off. We working a lot around the clock. Once again, Aaron Spelling started doing double ups. Weren't we the first show.
Speaker 2: He ever did that?
Speaker 1: Way, They thought this will never work. It's a ridiculous thing. We're just gonna do. It's not We're all sort of rolling rise and laughing. And then it worked well enough that for it worked for them. But I will say this though, like over time the cast got to be so big that you didn't work every day. Yeah right, you never knew your schedule that far in advance, But and our ads did a great job of keeping it rarely changed. Yeah, like once it worked, you knew you'd have two days off here and there, which made a huge difference.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's an incredible puzzle to try to get that all together.
Speaker 1: They especially double ups.
Speaker 4: That was insane, especially if an actor had to be from a location let's say downtown and that's some empty hospital and then up an Oxnard in one day.
Speaker 1: I mean, well, yeah, Laura was doing Oxnard to Santa Clarita for one episode.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know.
Speaker 3: They try not to have sometimes it's just impossible not to far locations. So well, those were the days we were young, the days super fun.
Speaker 1: Young actors now love to have thirty three episodes of anything they do, like anybody, any age, I would.
Speaker 3: Love it, as long as it's an ensemble where you can share the workload.
Speaker 1: And yeah again, and as we were so lucky because we got along and it was a big group. We really were lucky. It's fun to watch because I do. I have such warm feelings about that time.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Same, And I feel like my you said that your favorite thing about doing a TV show is like all the guest stars and stuff. My favorite thing is the family that is built with like the regular.
Speaker 1: The cast what I met that That was my answer to I mean, it was my answer to, I can have We can have more.
Speaker 3: Than one favorite.
Speaker 4: I love the fact of having a place to go, the set and the crew, you know, because I come from a very small family and we were split up, you know, so like my mom looked back east, my sister was, I was all alone out here. My dad was up in San Francisco, and I just loved.
Speaker 2: Like having a place and routine left, the routine and.
Speaker 3: The family and the crew, and it was it was a special group that we all sort of like, I think it's magic when you go, oh, that was a great group of people. To have to spend that much time with these people, I'm really.
Speaker 1: Glad it is magic. You're super duper lucky. On that note, can't wait to get out of here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, on that note, we love our fans questions too, so keep them coming dm us on our Still the Place Instagram.
Speaker 4: Also they can help us, those of you who are watching the podcast, leave messages, download tell people about it, right so we get more.
Speaker 1: Yeah, do that, and also, if you know, look at the next episode and ask specific questions about that episode, because that would be fun. Like if you watch a little bit ahead of us, and then you post questions and we can answer them. So yeah, we're probably a few episodes ahead of you, guys.
Speaker 3: So you have to ask us a little bit in advance if you have a specific question about a specific episode, But we love we'd love to get to them, and we love your questions, and we loved meeting everybody.
Speaker 2: At the con to go.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's just been so fun all Bye guys, Bye m HM.