Speaker 1: Pushkin.
Speaker 2: Hey everybody, Nate here, jumping in before the short so that we've been having a lot of fun answering your listener questions. So far, we've covered things like Pascal's Wager, the hot hand fallacy, or the fallacy of the hot hand fallacy actually, and the expected value of learning new languages. We want to keep doing this kind of thing, so send us all your questions about risk decision making, game theory, poker, you name it. Reach out to us on social media or email at Risky Business at pushkin dot fm. Even if you're not a premium subscriber, this is a great way to support the show, so you can keep sharing it free of charge. We look forward to hearing from you.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to Risky Business, a show about making better decisions. I'm Maria Kanakova.
Speaker 2: And I'm Nate Silver.
Speaker 1: Today on the show is going to be a little bit doomtastic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I don't know if it's like worse than thinking about like the global economy going into a recession because of dumbfuck tariff policies. This is all about how we're all going to die in seven years instead. No, I'm just kidding. This is a very very intelligent and well written and thoughtful report called AI twenty twenty seven that we're going to spend the whole show on because think it's such an interesting to talk about, but that you know, includes some dystopian possibilities.
Speaker 1: I would say it does indeed, so let's get into it and hope that you guys are all still here to listen to us in seven years.
Speaker 2: The contrast is interesting between like all the chaos we're seeing with tariff policy in terms of starting a trade war with China and then other types of chaos. It's interesting to kind of look at this. I mean, I wouldn't call it a more optimistic future exactly, but like but like on a different trajectory of like a future that's going to change very fast, according to these authors, with profound implications for you know, everything, the human species. These researchers and authors are saying that everything is going to change profoundly.
Speaker 1: And.
Speaker 2: Even though there is some hedging hair, this is kind of their base case scenario, and like you know, base case number one and base case number two differ. There's like kind of a choose your own adventure at some point in this report. But they're both very different than the status quo, right, and the notionately hear from that, like everything becomes different. If ais become substantially more intelligent than human beings, people can debate and we will debate on this program what that means. But yeah, do you want to do you want to contextualize this more? Do you want to tell people to actors are of this report?
Speaker 1: Absolutely? Absolutely? So the report is authored officially by five people, and I think unofficially there's also a sixth We've got Eli Leifelund, who's a super forecaster and he was ranked first on RAN's forecasting initiative, so he is someone who is very good at kind of looking at the future trying to predict what's going to happen. You have Jonas Palmer who's a VC at Macroscopic Ventures. Thomas Larson was a former executive director of the Center for AI Policy, so that is a center that advises both sides of the aisle on you know, how how AI is going to go? And Romeo Dean, who is part of Harvard's AI Safety Student Team, so someone who is still a student, still learning, but kind of the next generation of people looking at AI. And finally, we have Daniel coch Taylor, who basically had written a report back in twenty twenty one. He was a AI researcher and he looked at predictions for AI for twenty twenty six, and it turns out that his predictions were pretty spot on, and so open AI actually hired Daniel as a result of this report.
Speaker 2: Obviously he now left, yes.
Speaker 1: And then and then he left exactly.
Speaker 2: And importantly, so there's also Scott Alexander exactly.
Speaker 1: So I was saying, he's the he's the person who kind of is in the background, and he's you guys might know him as the author behind astral Codux.
Speaker 2: And I know Scott. He's one of the kind of fathers of what you might call rationalism. I think Scott, when I interview him from a book, was happy enough with that term and accused me or co opted me into also being a rationalist. These people are somewhat adjacent to the effective altruist, but not quite right. They're just trying to apply a sort of thoughtful, rigorous, quantitative lens to big picture problem, including existential risk, of which most people in this community believe that AI is both an existential risk and also kind of an existential opportunity, right, that it could transform things. You talk to Sam Alt and he'll say We're going to cure cancer and illuminate poverty and whatever else. Right, And Scott's also an excellent writer. And so let me disclose something which is slightly important here. So I actually was approached by some of the authors of this report a couple of months ago, I guess it was in February ish, just to give feedback and chat with them. So I'm working off the draft version, right, which I do not believe they changed very much. So my notes pertained to an earlier draft. I did not have time this morning to go back and re.
Speaker 1: Read it, so I was not on the inside loops. So I did not get an earlier draft. And I've read this draft and basically just to kind of big picture sum it up, it outlines two scenarios, right, two major scenarios for how AI might change the world as soon as twenty thirty. Now important note like that that date is kind of hedged. It might be sooner, it might be later. There's kind of a there's a confidence interval there. But the two different scenarios. One basically we do twenty thirty, humanity disappears and is taken over by AI. The positive report is in twenty thirty. Basically we get AIS that are aligned to our interests, and we get kind of this AI utopia where AI is actually help make life much better for everyone and make the standard of living much higher. But the crucial turning point is before twenty thirty, and the crucial kind of question at the center of this is will we be able to design AIS that are truly aligned to human interests rather than just appear to be aligned and kind of lying to us while actually following their own agenda. And how we handle that is kind of the lynchpin. And it's actually interesting, Nate, that you started out with China because a lot of the policy choices and a lot of what they see as kind of the decision points that will affect the future of humanity actually hinge on the US China dynamic, how they compete with each other, and how that sometimes might basically clash against safety concerns because no one wants to be left behind. Can we manage that effectively and can kind of that transition work in our favor as opposed to against us. I think that this is kind of one of the big questions here, and so it's funny that we're seeing all of this trade war right now as the sideport is coming out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, look, I think this exercise is partly just a forecasting exercise, right, I mean, obviously it's just kind of like fork at the bottom where we learn to have an AI slow down or we kind of are pressing fully on the accelerator, right, Like, in some ways, scenarios are like not that different, right, Either one assumes remarkable rates of technological growth that I think even AI I'm never quite sure who to call an optimist or a pessimist, right, even AI believers you know, might think is a little bit aggressive. Right. But what they want to do is they want to have like a specific, fleshed out scenario for how the world would look. Like it's kind of like a modal scenario. And like I think they'd say that, like, we're not totally sure about either of these necessarily, right, And I don't think they'd be as like pedantic as to say, if you do X, Y, and Z, then we'll save the world and have utopia, and if you don't, then we'll all die. Right. I think they probably say it's unclear and there's kind of like risk either way. We wanted to go through the scenario like fleshing out like what the world might look like. Right. I do think one thing that's important is that whatever decisions are made now could get locked in, right that you pass certain points in overturn and it becomes very hard to accelerate, like an arms race. This is you know, what we found during the Cold War for example. I mean, one of the big things I look at is like, do we force the AI to be transparent in its thinking with humans? Right? Like, now there's been a movement toward the AI will actually explicate it's thinking more. I'll ask you a query open AI. The Chinese models to this too, right, and I'll say, I am thinking about X, Y and Z, and I'm looking up PD and Q and now I'm reconsidering this. It actually has this chain of thought process, right, which is explicated in English. You know. One concern is that what if the AI just kind of communicates to another in these implicit vectors that's inferring from all the texts it has. It's kind of unintelligible to human beings, right, and maybe kind of quote unquote thinking in that way in the first place, and then does us the favor of like translating back to it goes from to kind of this big bag of numbers is one day I researcher called it, right, and then it translates back into English or whatever language you want. Really, in the end, what if it just skip cuts out that last step right, then we can't kind of like check what AI is doing. Then it can behave deceptively more easily. So you know, so that part seems to be important. I want to hear your your first impressions before I kind of poison the well too much.
Speaker 1: Well, my first impressions is that the alignment problem is a very real one and an incredibly important one to solve. And what I got from this is that actually, the problem that I've had with like these initial AI lms is the kernel of what they're seeing there. Right. So you and I have talked about this on the show in the past, and I've said, well, my problem is that when I'm a domain expert, right, I start seeing some inaccuracies, and I start seeing like places where like it either just didn't do well or made shit up or or whatever it is. Now I think it's very clear that those problems are going to go away, right, that that is going to get much much better. However, the kernel of it's showing me something, but that might just be you know, I have no way of verifying if that's what's going on, what it's reading, like, how it's I don't want to say thinking about it, even though in the report they do use thinking, but.
Speaker 3: It's normalizing too much, I think is correct.
Speaker 2: I think it's.
Speaker 1: Okay, we'll stick to that language. Yeah, okay, So, so how it's thinking about it that those little problems and like the little the glitches and the things that it might be doing where it starts actually glitching on purpose, are not going to be visible to the human eye. And so one of the main things that they say here is that as AI internal R and D gets rapidly faster, so that means basically AI's researching AI, right, and so internally they start developing new models, and as they kind of surpass human ability to monitor it, it becomes progressively more difficult to figure out. Okay, is the AI actually doing what I want it to do? Is the output that it's giving me its actual thought process? And is it accurate or is it like trying to deceive me? But it's actually kind of inserting certain things on purpose because it has different goals, right, because it is actually secretly misaligned, but it's very good at persuading me that it's aligned. Because one of the things that actually came out of this report, and I was like, huh, you know this is interesting is if we get this remarkable improvement in AI, it will also remarkably improve at persuading us right as part of it. Making Yeah, so this is but I've never even thought about that. I was like, okay, fine, But one of the things that I do buy is that it's going to be very difficult for us to monitor it and to figure out like is it truly aligned with human wants, with human desires, with human goals, And the experts who are capable of doing that, I think are actually going to dwindle right as AI starts proliferating in society, And so to me, that is something that is actually quite worrisome and that is something that we really need to be paying attention to.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: Just to fast forward a little bit, in their doomsday scenario in twenty thirty one, AI takes over it basically like suddenly releases some chemical agents, right, and humanity ties and the rest of the stragglers are taken care of by drones, et cetera.
Speaker 2: I don't even like it. It doesn't even quick and painless death. I will say, let's hope we.
Speaker 1: Don't know what the chemical agents are. Might not be quick and painless. Some chemical agents are actually a very painful death thing. So let's hope. Let's hope it's quick and painless. Quickly, quick, yes, stuff quick, Okay, hopefully some chemical agents are not quick. I hope it's quick and painless. But if they're actually capable of deception at that high level, then you technically don't even need them to do it. If we're trusting medicine and all sorts of things to the AIS, it's pretty easy for it to actually manipulate something and actually insert something into codes et cetera that will fuck up humanity in a way that we can't that we can actually figure out at the moment. Right, Like the way I think of it, and this is not from the this is not from the paper, but this is just the way that my mind processed. It is like think about DNA, right, like you have these remarkably complex, huge strands of data, and as we've found out, but it's taken forever, one tiny mutation can actually be fatal, right, but you can't spot that mutation. Sometimes that mutation isn't fatal immediately, but we'll only manifest at a certain point in time. That's the way that my mind tried to kind of try to conceptualize what this actually means. And so I think that you know, that would be easy for a deceptive AI to do, and to me like that. That's kind of the big takeaway from this report is that we need to make sure that we are building AIS that will not deceive right that they're capabilities, they explain them in an honest way, and that honesty and trust is actually prioritized over other things, even though it might slow down research, it might slow down other things, but that that kind of alignment step is absolutely crucial at the beginning because otherwise humans are human, right, they're easily manipulated. And we often trust that computers are quote unquote rational because they're computers, but they're not. They have their own inputs, they have their own weights, they have their own values, and that could just lead us down a dark path.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so let me follow up with this pushback. I guess right, Like, first of all, I don't know that human so easily persuaded. This is my big critique with like all the misinformation people who say, well, misinformation is the biggest problem on society basis. It's like people are actually pretty stubborn and they're kind of sound pretentious. They're kind of basian and how they formulate their beliefs, right, they have some notion of reality. They're looking at the credibility of the person who is telling them these remarks. If it's an unpersuasive source, it might make them less likely to believe they're balancing with other information with their lived experience so called. Right. You know, part of the reason that like I am skeptical of AIS being super persuasive is like you know that it's an AI. You know, it's trying to persuade you, you know what I mean. So, like, if you go and play poker against like a really chatty player I Phil hemm With or Scott Seeber or someone like that, right, you know, on some level of the best play is just to totally ignore it. Right, You know that they are trying to sweet talk you into doing exactly what they want you to do. And so the best play is to disengage, or literally you can randomize your movis VI have some notion of what the game, theoretical optimal play might be, right, or salesmen or politicians have reputations for being Oh he's a little too smooth, Gavin Newsome a little too fucking smooth, right, I don't find Gavin news some persuasive at all, Right, use a little too from the hair gel to the constantly shifting vibes. I mean, I don't really find Gavin new Some persuasive at all, even though like an aim, I'd say, boy, Gavin new some good looking guys look gravelly throated, But you know whatever, I mean. Look the big critique I have of this project, and by the way, I think this is an amazing project in addition to like wonderful writing if you viewed on the web not your phone, so these very cool like little infographic that updates everything from like the market value. If they don't call it open AI, they call it open brain, I guess is what they settle on for a substitui.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they call everything something else just to make sure that they're not stepping on any toes. So they have open brain and and they have deep scent from China.
Speaker 2: I wonder which one that could be. I wonder. But it's beautifully presented and written, and like I appreciate they're going out on a limb here, you know, I mean, I think they have. It's been fairly well received. They've gotten some push back both from inside and I think outside the AI safety community. Right, but they're putting their necks in the line, hear. They will look if things look pretty normal, if or it looks pretty normal in twenty thirty two or whatever, right, then they will look dumb for having published this.
Speaker 1: Well, and they actually have that right as some scenario that you end up looking stupid if everything goes well.
Speaker 2: But that's okay.
Speaker 1: Now, can I push back on the persuasion thing a little bit, just on two things. So, first of all, the poker example is not actually a particularly applicable one here, because you know that you're playing poker and you know that someone is trying to get information and deceive you. The tricky thing. So this is kind of when I spend time with con artists. The best con artists aren't Gavin Newso like, they're not car salesmen. You have no idea they're trying to persuade you to do something. They are just like nice, affable people who are incredibly charismatic, and even in the poker community, by the way, like some of the biggest grifters who like it comes out later on, we're just like stealing money and doing all of these things. Are charming, right, They're not sleazy looking like they have no signs of, oh, I'm a salesman. I'm trying to sell you something. The people who are actually good at persuasion, you do not realize you are being persuaded. And I think people are incredibly easy to kind of to subtly lead in a certain direction if you know how to do it, and I think ais could could do that, and they might persuade you when you don't even think they're trying to persuade you. You might just ask like, can you please summarize this research report and the way that it frames it right, The way that it summarizes it just subtly changes the way that you think of this issue. We see that in psych studies all the time, by the way, where you have different articles presented in slightly different orders, slightly different ways, and people from the same political beliefs, you know, same starting point, come away with different impressions of what kind of the right course of action is or what this is actually trying to tell you. Because the way the information is presented actually influences how you think about it. It's very very easy to do subtle manipulations like that. And if we're relying on AI on a large scale for a lot of our lives, I think that if it has like a quote unquote master plan, you know, the way that they present in this report, then persuasion in that sense is actually going to be.
Speaker 2: You'll know you're being manipulated, right, that's the issue.
Speaker 1: No, you don't know. That's the thing.
Speaker 2: People will be manipulated because it's AI and that I don't but I don't know.
Speaker 1: I honestly, like Nate, I applaud your belief in human's ability to adjust to this, but I don't know that they will because I've just seen enough people who are incredibly intelligent fall for cons and then be very unpersuadable that they have been conned, right, instead doubling down and saying no, I have not so humans are stubborn, but they're also stubborn and saying I have not been deceived, I have not been manipulated, when in fact they have to protect their ego and to protect their view of themselves as people who are not capable of being manipulated or deceived. And I think that that is incredibly powerful. And I think that that's going to push against your optimism. I hope you're right, but from what I know, I don't think you are.
Speaker 2: I'm not quite sure to call it optimism some I guess maybe we do likely different views of human nature. But like there's not yet a substantial market for like AI driven art we're writing, and I'm sure there will be one eventually, right, But like people understand that context matters, right, that you could heavy I create a rip off the Mona Lisa, but you can also buy rip off the Mona Lisa and Canal Street for five bucks, right, and like it? You know, So it's it's the intentionality of the act and the context of the speaker. Now, sound like super woke, I guess right where you're coming from. I think that actually is how humans communicate. Like art that might be pointless dribble coming from somebody can be something different coming from a Jackson Bollock or whatever. You know.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, I think that that's a really important point. By the way, I think it's a different point, but I think that that is a very important point. I think context does matter.
Speaker 2: We'll be right back after this message. I was buttering up this report before. My big critique of it is like, where are the human beings in this? Or put another way, kind of like where is the politics? Right? They're trying not to use any remotely controversial real names, right, so you open brain for example, so where's where is President Trump? Let me steal a qick search to make sure their named Trump does not appear to know the name.
Speaker 1: So do they do? Actually, I don't know if this existed. Maybe they took your criticism in this, but they do have like the vice president and the president like they do put politicians in this version of the report. They don't have names, but they say the vice president in one of these scenarios, you know, handily wins the election of twenty twenty eight. We have one vice president.
Speaker 2: They have general secretary. I think I'm not sure if they.
Speaker 3: I mean general secretary, general secretary resembles she yep, and the vice president kind of resembles jd Vance, Right, I don't think the president resembles Trump at all, Right, is kind of the same.
Speaker 1: No, they did character like, yeah, they tried to side stuff that if we think it's.
Speaker 2: All happening in the next four years, then you know, presidential politics matter quite a bit. I mean, I know, I is such a fucking you know, I was jogging earlier on the East Side and I was listening to the S Reclin interview with Thomas Friedman. It's such a fucking yuppie fucking thing. Right, It's okay, It's okay.
Speaker 1: You're allowed to be a young.
Speaker 2: Not a huge fan of necessarily, but like you know, as well versed some like geopolitics and like China issues, like yeah, China, you've just been back from Chinese, Like yeah, China's kind of winning, you know what I mean, And like I'm not sure how how Trump's hawkishness on China, but like kind of imbecillically executed hawkishness on China, Like I'm not sure how that figure's in to this. Right, If we're reducing US China trade, that probably does produce an ai slow down maybe more for US if we're like if they're not exporting their like raw earth materials and and so forth, but we're making it hard for them to get in video chips, so they probably have like lots of workarounds and things like that. Maybe maybe Trump sheriffs are good. I would like to ask the author's this report, because it means that we're going to like have slower AI progress. And I'm not joking, right, that increases the hostility between the US and China in the long run, right, I mean that's if we were send it all the terariffs tomorrow. I think we still permanently or let's not say permanent, let's say at least for a decade or so, have injured us standing in the world. And so I don't know how that figures in. And I'm like, I'm also not sure like kind of quote what the rational response might be. But one thing they tried, let me make sure that they kept us into their report, right, so they actually have their implied approval rating for how people feel about open brain, which is there not very sense AI. I think this actually is some feedback who that they took into account. Right, they originally had it slightly less negative, but they have this being persistently negative and then getting more negative overtime. It was a little softer in the in the previous version that I saw, so they did change that one thing at some stage. But like the fact that like AI scares people, it scares people for both good and bad reasons, but I think mostly for valid reasons, right, that the fear is fairly bipartisan. That the biggest AI accelerators are now these kind of Republican techno optimists who are not looking particularly wise given how it's going with the first ninety days whatever we are, the Trump administration and the likelihood of like a substantial political backlash right, which could lead to dumb types of regulations. But like in a part of it too is like okay, AI they're saying can do not just computer desk jobs, but like all types of things, right, And like humans kind of play this role initially as supervisors, and then literally within a couple of years people start to say, you know what, am I really adding much much value here? Right? You kind of have like these legacy jobs and there's a lot of money. I think mostly scenarios imagine very fast economic growth, although maybe very lumpy, right for some parts of the world and not others. But we're kind of just sitting around with a lot of idle time. It might be good for live poker Maria. Right, all of a sudden, all these smart people, their open earth, their open brain, excuse me, stock is now worth billions of dollars, right, and like nothing to do because the AI is doing all their work. Right, they have a lot of fucking time to play some fucking texas hold them right, that.
Speaker 1: Is, that is one way of thinking about it. Let's let's go back to your your earlier point, which I actually think is an important one because obviously they were trying to do as all you know, super forecasting tries to do is you try to create a rape that will work in multiple scenarios. Right. You can't tie it too much to like the present moment, otherwise your forecasts are going to be quite biased. However, I do think that what you raise kind of our current situation with China, et cetera, has very real implications. Given that this is kind of the central dynamic of this report that their predictions are based on, I think that it's incredibly valid to actually speculate, you know, how will if at all, this effect the timeline of the predictions, the possible the likelihood of the two scenarios. And I will also say that one of the things in the report is that all of these negotiations on like will we slow down?
Speaker 2: Will we not?
Speaker 1: How aligned is it? This all takes place in secret, right, Like we don't know the humans don't know that it's going on. We don't know what's happening behind the scenes, and we don't know what the decision makers are kind of thinking. And so for all we know, you know, President Trump is meeting with Sam Altman and trying to trying to could do some of these things. And it's funny because we were kind of pushing for transparency in one way, but there's a lot of things here that are very much not transparent.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's kind of the deep state, right, but also also a lot of the negotiations are now AI versus AI, right. And look, I'm not sure that AIS will have that trust both with the external actor and internally. I'm skeptical of that. Right. If that does happen, they kind of think this might be good because the AIS will probably behave in like literally game theory optimal way right and understand these things and make I guess, like fewer mistakes than humans might if.
Speaker 1: They're properly aligned. Like that's a crucial thing because in the doomsday scenario, AI negotiates with AI, but they conspire to destroy humanity. Right, So there are two scenarios. One it's actually properly aligned, so AI negotiates with AI, game theory works out and we end up you know, democracy and wonderful things. But in the other one, where they're misaligned, AI negotiates with AI to create a new AI basically and destroy humanity. So it can go one way or the other depending on that alignment step. First of all, I mean the Utilian.
Speaker 2: You didn't see that utopian to me, right, I'm not sure that it did it.
Speaker 1: It actually seemed quite distoping to me, Like it seemed incredibly distised.
Speaker 2: It's kind of like, you know, look, but at least we're still alive, that we'll have chures, we'll probably live longer. And again, lots of lots of lots of poker. The ail you writing Silver Bulletin and and hosting our podcast. Right, let me let me back up a little bit, because I think we maybe take for granted that some of these premises are are kind of controversial, right, so they have a breakpoint I think in twenty twenty six, well says our why aren't CREA increased potentially be on twenty twenty six? Right, So that's kind of the breakpoint is like twenty seven is this inflection point? I think I'm using that term correctly in this context.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: So I'm reading this report and up to twenty twenty six and like, thumbs up, YIAA. This seems like very smart and detailed about, like, you know, how the economy is reacting and how politics reacting in the race dynamic with China. Maybe there needs to be little bit more Trump in there. I understand why politically they didn't want to get into that mess, right, But like, so there's kind of three different things here, right. One is a notion of what's sometimes called AGI, or artificial general intelligence. And if you ask one hundred different researcher you get one hundred different definitions of what AGI is. But you know, I think it is based to like being able to do a large majority of things that a human being could do competently, siming we're limiting it to kind of like desk job type tasks. Right, anything that can be done remotely is sometimes definition that is used or through remote work, right, because clearly AIS are inferior to humans and like sorting and folding laundry or things like that, right, that requires certain type of intelligence. Right. If you use the kind of desk job definition, then like AI is already pretty close to AGI. Right. I use large language models all the freaking time, and they're not perfect for everything. I felt like, you know, in terms of like being able to do the large majority of desk work at levels ranging from competent intern to super genius, Like on average, it's probably pretty close to being generally intelligent by that definition, right.
Speaker 1: If you're the one using it. I just want to like once again point that out because one of the things that they say in the report is that as it gets more and more involved what we're asking AI to do, it's like the human process to evaluate whether it's accurate and whether it's making mistakes will get longer and longer. And I think they say like for every like basically one day of work, it'll take several it's like a two to one ratio at the beginning for how long it will take humans to verify the output. Right, So you think, like you think you save time by having aids do this, but if you want it to actually develop correctly, then you need a team and it takes them twice as long to verify that what the AI did is actually true and actually valid and actually aligned, et cetera, et cetera. Now you're not asking it to do things that require that amount of time, but there do need to be little caveats to how we how we think about their usefulness and how you are able to evaluate the output versus Southern scenarios.
Speaker 2: When I use AI, the things that it's best with are things that like save any time. Right where I feeded a bunch of different names for different college basketball teams. We work in our NCAA model. I'm like, take these seven different naming conventions that are all different and create a cross reference table of these, which is kind of like a hard task. You need to have a little context about basketball. And it did that very well. Right, That's something I could have done. It might have taken an hour or two, but you know, instead, so it could do it. It's in a few minutes, and it gets faster. It's like, oh, I've learned from this from you before, Nate, so now I can be faster and doing this type of task in the future. I was at the poker tournament down in Florida last week and like, uh, you know, I ask open research. Excuse me, god, is that?
Speaker 1: See exactly right? It all because deep research, deep research, deep research.
Speaker 2: I asked deep reach.
Speaker 1: Reading too many of these twenty twenty seven reports.
Speaker 2: Super brand gets to pull a bunch of stock market data for me. And then I'm playing at poker hand and like, make a really thin, sexy value bet with like fourth pair. No one knows that means, right, I bet a very weekend. I thought the other guy would call it with an even weaker hand, and I was right. And I feel like I'm such a fucking stud here valuating fourth pair, And well AI does the work for me, and then of course I like bust out of the tournament an hour later. And meanwhile, you know, deep research bungles this particular task. But in general, AI has been very reliable. But the point is that, like there's like a a inflection point where like I'm asking you to do things that like are just a faster version of what I could do myself, I would at the moment I ask AI, be like, I want you design a new NCA model for me with these parameters, because like I wouldn't know how to test it. But anyway, I'm mean long wanted to hear so AGI, we're gonna get AGI, or at least we're going to get someone calling something AGI soon. Right, Artificial super intelligence where it's doing things much better than human beings. I think this report takes for granted or not it takes for granted. It has lots of documentation about its assumptions, but it's saying, Okay, this trajectory has been very robust so far, and people make all types of bullshit predictions of the fact that these guys in particular have made accurate predictions of the past is certainly worth something, I think, right, But they're like, okay, you kind of follow the scaling law, and before too much longer, you know, AI starts to be more intelligent than human beings. You can debate what intelligent means if you want, but do superhuman of things or and or do them very fast? I think might be different, right, And NA that can do things very fast is and maybe it's certainly a component of intelligence. Right, But like, but I don't take for granted that like quote unquote, AI can reliably extrapolate beyond the data set. I just think that, like it's not an absurdly pavlogic. It may even be like the base case are close to the base case, but like that's not assumable from first principles. I don't think we've all seen lots of trend charts of thing. You know, if you look at a chart of Japan's GDP in the nineteen eighties, he might have said, Okay, well, Japan's gonna take over the world and be and people bought this and now it's kind of hasn't grown for like forty years basically, right, And so like we've all seen lots of curves that go up and then it's actually an estra where the fuck you call it? Where like it begins to bend the other way at some point and and we can't tell until later. Right. The other thing is like the a billy of AI to plan and manipulate the physical world. I mean some of these things where they're talking about, like you know, brain uploading and dice and swarms and nanobots, like you know, there, I would literally wager money against this happening on the time scales that they're talking about, right, they double the timescale. Okay, then I might start to give some more probability. And look, I'm willing to be wrong about that. I guess we'll all be dead anyway, fifty percent likely in this scenario.
Speaker 1: But like, like this scenario fifty percent you do like AA.
Speaker 2: You know, the physical world requires sensory input and lots of parts of our brain that AI is not as effective at manipulating. It also requires like being given or commandeering resources somehow. By the way, this is like a little bit of a problem for the United States. I mean we are behind China by like quite a bit in robotics and related things. Right, So, like, I don't know what happens if like we have the brainier, smarter AIS, but like they're very good at manufacturing and machinery. So like, what if we have the brains and they have the brawn so to speak, right, and they have maybe a more authoritarian but functional infrastructure. So I don't know what happens then, right, Like, but the abilitiy of AIS to comment to your resources to control the physical world to me, seems far fetched on these timelines in part because of politics, right, I mean the fact that it takes so long to build a new building in the US, or a new subway station or a new highway, and the fact that our politics is kind of sclerotic. Right. And look, I mean I don't want to sound like too pessimistic, but if you read the book I recommended last week, fight, I mean, we basically did not have a fully competent president for the last two years, and I would argue that we don't have one for the next four years. Right, So, like all these kind of things that we have to plan for, like who's doing that fucking planning? Our government's kind of dysfunctional. And you know, maybe that means we just lose to China. Right, Maybe that means we lose to China, at least we'll have like nice cars. I guess.
Speaker 1: We'll be back right after this. I think that your point about the growth trajectories not necessarily being reliable is a very valid one. The Japanic example is great. You know, malefusion population growth is another is another big one. Right, We thought that population would explode and instead we're actually seeing population decline, so you know, the world does change. The thing that I think they rely on is that that AIS are capable of designing just this incredible technology much more quickly so that our building process and all of that gets sped up one hundredfold from what it is right now. But it's still, at least at this point, needs humans to implement it right, and needs all of these different workers. And so yeah, I think there are some assumptions built into here that I hope, like I hope that that timeline isn't feasible, and I do think that there are things that are holding us back. All the same, I think it's really I think it's interesting. One of the reasons I like this report is that it forces you to think about these things right and try to game out some of these worst case scenarios to try to prevent them, which I think is always an important thought exercise. I do want to go back to kind of their good scenario, which just so bad scenario is, you know, we're all wiped out by a chemical warfare that the AI is release on us. Good scenario is that you know, everyone gets a universal basic income and AI does everything and no one has to do anything and we can just you know, at play poker. Yeah, and that just as as you suggested, that seems actually like a very dystopian scenario where people can become much more easy to brainwash, control, et cetera, et cetera. It's like a dumbing down, right where where we're not challenged to produce good art, to advance in any sort of way. Just to me, it does not seem like a very meaningful.
Speaker 2: Well, the question is there's not way another if you read AI twenty twenty seven, which I highly recommend that you read it. There's also another post by a pseudonymous poster called el Rudolph L who wrote something called A History of the Future twenty twenty five to twenty forty, which is very detailed but goes through kind of like what this looks like at like more of a human level, how society evolves, how the economy evolves, how work evolves, right, and like very detail, just like AI twenty twenty seven is they're kind of focused on the parts of A twenty seven, then I think it kind of deliberately ignores maybe can call them mild blind spots or whatever, right, But like, but that's interesting because that kind of thinks about what types of jobs are there in the future. There are probably lots of lawyers actually, right, because you know, the law is very sluggish to change, especially in a constitutional system where there are lots of vitail points, right, probably high end service sector. You know, you go to a restaurant because everyone's for a lot of people are rich now, right, and you're flattered by the attractive young server and things like that is kind of highly kind of like catered and curated experiences. I guess I have some faith in humanities beilieved to fight back quote unquote against like two scenarios that it might not really like either one, you know what I mean. And like the scenario where like AI is producing like ten percent GDP growth or or whatever. Right, man, it's great a few own stocks that are exposed to AI and tech companies probably, right, but it's also making that money on the backs of mass job displacement. And like, you know, it kind of a sert confident in the long run that human beings fine productive things to do, and and you know, massive employment has been predicted many times and never really occurred, right, But like, but it's not occurring this fast where they think the world ends in six years of whether they're predicting or we have utopia in six years, and like just the ability of like human society to like deal with that change at these time scales leads to like more chaos than I think they're more predicting. I think also, and I told them this too, right, I think also leads to more constraints. Right that you hit bottlenecks if you have five things you have to do, right, and you have the world's fastest computer, et cetera, et cetera, But there's like a power outage in your neighborhood, right, and that's a that's a bottle deck. Right, Maybe there are ways around it if you're like go to home depot and buy a generator or you know what I mean. But like, but the point is that, like you're often defined like the slowest link, and politics are sometimes the slowest link. But also but like also, you know, I think the report maybe under states, and I think kind of in general, the a safty community like maybe understates the ability of like human beings to cause harm to other human beings with AI, right, that concern kind of gets brushed off as like to pedestrian or like like to.
Speaker 1: Say, Pedestrian was saying, yeah, the exact word I was thinking of. I think that's a good I mean, I think that's a great place to end it, because yes, we do need to be concerned about all of these things about AI. But like that that phrase I think is very crucial, like do not underestimate the ability of humans to cause harm to other humans. And I think that that's you know, it's not a very opt it's not a very pleasant place to end, but I think it's a really important place to end. And I think that that's a very valid kind of way of reflecting on this name.
Speaker 2: Or to trust AIS too much, right, I gener I think that concern is like somewhat misplays but like if we're handing over critical systems to AI, right, it can cause problems if it's very smart and deceives us and doesn't like us very much. It can also cause problems if it has hallucinations, bugs in critical areas where it isn't as robust and hasn't really been tested yet that are outside of its domain yep, or there could be espionage. Anyway, we will have plenty of time, although maybe only seven more years actually to like explore, explore these scenarios.
Speaker 1: Yes, and in seven years we'll be like, welcome back to the final episode of Risky Business, because the prediction is we're all going to be done tomorrow. Oh but yeah, this was an interesting exercise, and I think my my p doom has slightly gone up as a result of reading this. But I also remain optimistic that humans can and can do good as well as harm.
Speaker 2: Yeah, my interest in learning Chinese has increased as a result of recent developments. I know about my pe doo.
Speaker 1: All right, yeah, let's do some language immersion. I'm with you. That's it for today. If you're a premium subscriber, we will be answering a question about whether MFAs can ever be plus ev right after the credits, And if you're not a subscriber, it's not too late. For six ninety nine a month the price of a midber, you get access to all these conversations and all premium content across the Pushkin Network. Risky Business is hosted by me Maria Kannakova.
Speaker 2: And by me Nate Silver. The show is a co production of Pushkin Industries and iHeartMedia. This episode was produced by Isabel Carter. Our associate producer is Sonya Gerwitz. Sally Helm is our editor, and our executive producer is Jacob Goldstein. Mixing by Sarah Bruger. If you like the show, please rate and review us. You know we'd like we take a four or five. We take the five, rate and review us to other people. Thank you for listening.