Speaker 1: Welcome to two percent. I'm your host, Michael Easter. Now, most human beings will not climb Mount Everest. Most people won't even think about attempting that. But our guest today he has climb Mount Everest four different times. He also managed to climb every single fourteen or in Colorado by his eighteenth birthday. He also made a bold attempt at K two, which is the most dangerous, risky mountain and the hardest mountain on Earth. Our guest today is doctor John Kadrowski. He was rolling through Las Vegas, so I dragged him in the studio. I wanted to ask him about what he's learned about life on these crazy climbs, how you can train for the outdoors, and also how he thinks about risk in everyday life and how sometimes the most risky things we do are also the most rewarding. So let's take a quick break and then we'll bring in John. All Right, John, welcome to the show. How you doing goo ahod man, It's good to have you here. Thanks for yeah, thanks for the invite. Okay, here's where I want to start. George Mallory temps Everest in nineteen twenties. He gets asked why he wanted to climb Everest, and he said, because it's there. Now, I think that's total bullshit. I'm going to tell you why. I want to hear your reaction to it.
Speaker 2: In terms of it being total, total bullshit. Yeah, I mean, I think he had a lot of other reasons, right, he wanted to be the first. Yeah, I'd say that was probably his main motivation. Well, you just at a first ascent? Yeah, what is it about being the first? It just it feels amazing, because, yeah, you're literally stepping somewhere that nobody's ever gone. And for me, that climb this past month was, honestly, it felt better than Everest. And I've done Everest on seven expeditions over the years, but it was just a different feel and also it pushed me differently. What mountain was it? It was called kick cap Ree two, So it was a mountain on the bed Nepal border, about about one hundred and fifty miles northwest of Katmandu and just in the middle of nowhere. Very hard to get to go over a huge eighteen thousand foot pass, hike up a valley where you're seeing wild yaks, wild mustangs. There's snow upward tracks that kind of thing, and to an area that was really hard to get to and then you could see why. But all the while was during the Mount Everest season over there, and so I thought to myself, Man, this is pretty cool because I'm not up, you know, getting stuck behind people on a rope somewhere on a mountain where I've already climbed it before. So I'd rather be somewhere new and different. And I think that's what drives me in life sometimes. Yeah, what did How did it hit different?
Speaker 1: When you get up there and you're like, I'm the first, I'm probably the first human who's ever met up here.
Speaker 2: Yeah? Uh well, first I was like going up and I'm climbing up this ridge and I thought, well, shoot, what if I get to the top and there's like somebody's left something out there, and then I'm not the first And I was like, ah, but still, like, we haven't seen a person in over five days is to even get to this mountain, so I'm pretty sure, Yeah, pretty sure, we're good. So yeah, it's just a whole different, whole different feel, a whole different experience, And I think in life that's what I thrive on is new and different experiences all the time. It makes my brain work differently. I think.
Speaker 1: So my theory on that quote the reason that I think it's bs. You probably just needed an answer for the journalists who asks. I think people find something inherently rewarding about taking on these big challenges. Right, It's not just that it's there. There's a lot of things that are just there that you could do, but the fact that there's he would be the first. He knows it's going to be extremely hard. He's going into the unknown and he's got to figure it out, and that's going to be tough. He knew that that was there was something inherently special about that. Do you identify with that? Climbing mountains?
Speaker 2: I identify with it a ton for a few reasons. Yeah. I think the biggest one is growth overall. I go to these mountains now and some of them I get to go to over and over again, and the growth comes. And working with others to help them reach their goals. But then what I started to take a part, especially in the last two years now in my career because since COVID so five or six years, I hadn't done up until last fall. I hadn't done my own project in like five or six years. I've read some books, I've done some like ski projects over the years, some you know, climbing, mountaineering and long distance type projects. But for about five years after COVID, business for me got so good that people were having me take them places. And then I think a lot of us get like this with our jobs, or our careers or our lives. We let the busyness of life get in a way and you put things off. And I was kind of doing that, honestly. And then I got sort to a point about a year and a half ago and I said, wait a minute. I stopped myself and I was like, Okay, there's this trail in the United States. It runs from Canada to Mexico. It's called the Continental Divide Trail through five states, Montana, I'd Oh, Wyoming, Colorado, and New Mexico. I actually asked a friend of mine who I had taken up Everest to go with me, and we went and hiked the trail last fall for one hundred days. That was my first project that I'd done for me since COVID, and that felt good and it was a reminder to continue to do things for me and so then this year, the first ascent was the choice, and then I've got some other things already on the radar this year and in the next year. But it just reminded me, and I think it's a good reminder for people in general, like, stop what you're doing. Your life's gonna still be there when you come back, So you should pick something that's gonna change you. It's gonna help you grow, it's gonna help it's gonna help push you, and it might be hard and uncomfortable, but that's good. And so I just took a lot from that experience last year. It's springboarded me into this year and into what I've got planned for the next three to five years.
Speaker 1: Now, do you feel like that when you do the thing for yourself that it then makes you better when you go back into normal life, like with your work stuff.
Speaker 2: Does it make that does it make you.
Speaker 1: Perform better in that space, or does it make that more rewarding or there's a question there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, I think I think that that experience on the CDT because like it was kind of awesome to like, for three ish months. Yeah, I had a little bit of internet off and on, but then sometimes there were days where we're backpacking had nothing. Yeah, and so that's a good unplug I also realized when I was out there, I was like, yeah, it's okay, Like take this time for yourself because you know what life is going to be there when I get back, and so yeah, then it makes you appreciate life more. And then when you get back to it, yeah, I haven't felt burnt out at all. In fact, I feel more energized, which sounds crazy, and that's kind of in line with what I think we'll probably delve into for me as my Everest Ready philosophy, and that's you know, we'll talk more about what that entails. But flipping the switch on the mindset is something that these hard adventures do for me. So when I come back, even this trip to A Paul, I was gone for six weeks. I got home and last night my family's like, are you tired, Like what's going on? And I'm like, actually, no, I'm more energized. I'm more recharged. And people think I'm crazy, but it's the truth. Yeah, that's awesome.
Speaker 1: So before we get into the everest Ready mindset, I think we needed two yet your experience on Everest. You've climbed Everest how many times?
Speaker 2: So? I've been on seven expeditions over the years, haven't summitted on all of them because of various things that have occurred right and challenges. But at least the three clients that I've taken to the top twenty nineteen, twenty twenty one, and twenty twenty four, I've all summitted, And in my last summit was in twenty twenty four. So yeah. And then there were some years in there where I didn't summit because of an earthquake, one year you can't climb, and then in two seasons. One of the seasons we put some people up on a summit and I stayed in Camp two on the radio. I didn't want to compromise the fact that I had gotten like a chest infection and stuff, and we had sure bus and team members to help our clients, so I stayed in a camp that I could be of assistance. And then I tried one year without supplemental oxygen and turned around near the summit, trying to sort of test myself but being conservative. So sometimes I regret turning around, but at the same time I knew it was in the moment, it was the right choice. I was on the north side in Tibet in twenty eighteen and was within an hour and a half or two, but it was too early in the morning and too windy, and there were a few people on what's called the third step, and it was just too cold and too windy in my opinion, and I made the split second decisions to go down. And I learned a lot from that experience. And I think at some point, even though like the competitor and me, will probably try to go back and finish the job, so to speak. So we'll see. But yeah, Everest has been has done a lot for me in seven expeditions over the years. What Dunie to Evers in the first place. I grew up in Vail, Colorado, So I as like an eight year old kid. My parents took me up mounted the Holy Cross, which is near Vale. And when you're on top of that mountain and you learn in elementary school with the highest mountain in the world, is you kind of have something cangible? And so yeah, I was like as an eight year old kid, I knew I wanted to try to climb into the mountain and learned as much as I could about it, and eventually it led me there. Yeah, So ever's ready mindset? Yeah, tell us about that? Well, it's I think it goes a few different directions, but it's mainly just taking at a basic level. I could get off the couch, or I could leave from this room and go climb Everest on a whim, no problem, because I've created a lifestyle that's lend itself to being ready at any given moment for that sort of pursuit. Maybe you're constantly active, yeah, yeah, yeah, and so but what also it means is it exemplifies in life how, Yeah, there may be tough challenges that we face, there may be tasks that we might not necessarily want to do. For many people on this earth, we're never at the end of our development as a person, and at times there's going to be huge roadblocks, challenges, things that we don't want to do that we have to face them, And how is our attitude towards facing them as well to get through those tough times.
Speaker 1: So it's like, if your mind, if your body in your mind, are ready for Everest actual Everest at any moment. It's kind of like when the sort of bs of life pops up, problems happened, You're like, well, I'm ready for this. The literally the world's tallest mountain. I can probably figure this out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and don't sweat the small stuff, but like learn how to flip the switch towards things that are really really scary, hard, inconvenient, and if you seek god discomfort, you're going to find that at the end of the day, what's so bad about it? What's so hard about it? So I kind of all those things are sort of packaged into what this framework means to me, and what I want to share with others is that they can face their challenges head on if they have the right attitude and perspective.
Speaker 1: Is what is your climbing on ever taught you about not sweating small stuff?
Speaker 2: Mainly like you come home after being there sometimes and it's yeah, it's cold, it's scary. There's like the crevasses can be crazy going through these ladders. That's the biggest thing. People see the crowds, which the media sensationalizes. The summits I've had have actually been we wait and we go later in the season when the weather is better and less people, so we kind of avoid that as well. But yeah, it's just taking taking on any sort of challenge in life. And for me, like like even coming home and driving driving over here today after flying to Vegas and like someone cuts me off on the highway, I'm like, well that's fine. Yeah, it doesn't bother me. Actually a lot of things that should bother me don't anymore. Yeah, through various experiences that I've had in the mountains that have changed me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it just puts it puts things in perspective more or less. I've definitely experienced that with if I like to say, like when I got back from the Arctic, I was up there for like a month, and my wife Leah said, like, nothing really stresses you out anymore.
Speaker 2: I was like, yeah, that's.
Speaker 1: Because up there, like there were actual problems of oh we need water and we got a hike forever to get it, or there's grizzly bears, or there's some crazy storm. And so then when I come home and you know, the HOA has dinged me with a violation for not pulling a weed, I'm just like, whatever I might have been those sons of bitches, I'm going to show the ho way and start a revolution.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I definitely hear you on that. So when you talk to people, because you talk to a lot of groups about this, how do you find people are applying evers mindset and using it being evers ready.
Speaker 2: I think a lot of it comes with the challenges within the corporate structure sometimes, you know, and even like, uh, if I do a keynote speech. Sometimes at events we do connection walks and hikes so people can actually actively get out and hike and walk together and discuss in a group. And we find that by getting people outdoors they're willing to open up more just a basic sense, but yeah, applying some of the frameworks there of being ever ready allows people to be more vulnerable even sometimes and uh and and open up on the basic level.
Speaker 1: I do feel like that the walking outside together is powerful and there is research that shows when people are walking side by side outdoors, they tend to have conversations where they definitely connect deeper. And especially in a corporate structure, everyone's kind of on guard. You don't want to say the wrong thing, like what am I doing the.
Speaker 2: Right to get rid of surface level stuff? Yeah, you realize, hey, it's it's it's okay, and hey, we're out here too and know, and then one of the events they did in Arizona in April, saw this huge snake and then like after that, it's like all of a sudden, the conversations people start opening up, even after just seeing that, like the snake go across the trail and you know, so like got people it's just kind of going.
Speaker 1: Adding some element of risk almost makes people bond more. Yeah, have you found out what the people you climb with?
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure, and trusting the process and then yeah, on some of these trips, you know, especially like on the seven Summits. For me, I've had so many summits over the years and success, so when I'm there, people trust me. But sometimes in the early going of a trip, if something goes wrong, or if it's too windy or the weather's too bad and people have doubts, then it's really interesting to see people's character too. Yeah, And I love what expeditions do to people with patients, right, because we're so insta gratification now society, whether it's like phone in our hand, something needs to load immediately, and when you're out on an expedition, and first of all, just put your devices away, but second of all, Okay, this summit might not be a week away, two weeks away, a month away, And how do people handle that and bring card games out of bring like you know, all kinds of stuff. We're playing Jenga in the dining tent, like we just do different things and then also get people just to have some patience. And it's amazing, like how some people don't deal with that very well and some people do. Do they get better over time or does it just get worse? It just really just depends on the person.
Speaker 1: What do you think separates the people who understand, Okay, this is a month away, this is what I've bought into, this is what it's going to take.
Speaker 2: We can't rush this because if we try and rush it, we're going to die. Yeah, we're blasted or we're not acclimatized yet, right. There so many little things that can go into it. Yeah, I think it depends on the person. The people that have maybe had to persevere something as as simple as something in their career or sports related are often do the best. And the people that need to be too wired or have to have Wi Fi like that could be a problem. Sometimes it's pretty pretty crazy.
Speaker 1: What conversations do you have with them? Is that you being like you need to chill out?
Speaker 2: Yeah, try to, Yeah, but it's try to interact to try to get them to do something else or like even if it's like hey, let's go out of the base camp and go for a side hike or you know, try to occupy them. Yeah, I've become a professional time waster, so to speak. Awesome.
Speaker 1: You're like, you're kind of like a scout camp leader. Yeah, kids are getting restless. You're like, hey, guys, let's go out and look for error ads. Yeah, we're going to find some.
Speaker 2: But the good things that we've added over the years to a lot of these trips are like yeah, just trying to trying to make them even try to bring the comfort out there. So you know, a chef in the base camp cooking good meals, a massage therapist, a yoga instructor, like things that you know some people might have at home, bring you got to bring it out there, and then it's and then it makes the experience it's not quite as bad.
Speaker 1: Yeah, totally. And I think there's a people can kind of have this thing like, oh, you had you had all these comforts out there, what do you do that like nullifies it. Right when I did the Haydu Trail last year, our thinking was, this thing is already so damn hard. Why are we not going to take advantage of things like the softer mattress and carry that. Why are we going to just like try to make this any harder than it already is. Like, that's just going to lead us to fail. It's like, what can we do that'll improve our odds of making it? And whether that's a chef, whether that's you know, in our case, like we're going to carry the slightly heavier mattress, We're going to make sure we do a down day every seven days or whatever.
Speaker 2: It is, like that allows.
Speaker 1: You to complete the whole thing, because the whole thing is going to be hard as hell, and if you're trying to just go too far and make it almost austere for the sake of that, that can just totally backfire.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And like that's what Mike and I do on the continent of the Vibe Trail last summer too. You know, going into it, it was like, hey, okay, there are people that come out and start in June or you know, if they're going north. We went north to south or people go south to north on the trail and they start in April or May and they're out there for one hundred and fifty days, which is like five months. And when we were looking at that, we both kind of liked said, well, Okay, I'm busy leading expeditions and trips and living my life. You're busy with your concerts and playing music and pursuing that. Do we both really want to be away for five months? And the answer that was no. And it was like, well, okay, is there way to shorten that? Yes, you have to do more miles. Okay, is there a way to surround some of our favorite friends and family with that experience? Yeah, okay, let's get it. Let's get it sponsored. Let's get an RV, and then we're going to have we're going to slot in people our best friends and family as crew at two or three people at a time, for cooking meals, picking us up from trail heads, dropping us off this massive spreadsheet, which was a lot of work, but once we had it rolling, it shortened the trip by two months, and then we still we enjoyed the heck out of it because we had airstream sponsor us and we had some other companies pitch in, and then we were able to kind of do it glamping style, and then we started to learn as we did research of the trail, I was like, well, I'd say maybe twenty to thirty of the days we still had to backpack, but the other sixty to seventy days, it was Okay, here's a highway forty and here's highway thirty, and we have a twenty eight mile a day from road to road. Okay, can we do that with a running best? Sure? And we did some big days and it was inspiring and motivating, and some people with other friends would come and hike with us, and so we were able to create sort of more of a community feel with it with our closest friends and family, as opposed to what we also found out there. We met some great people on the trail, but they did it the hard way, admittedly, where they just took their backpacks, carried all their food and supplies solid the whole trip. They would have to hitchhike into towns and resupply and that just took them a long time. And a lot of these people were pretty frail at the end, and we were being well fed, you know, and I was. I'm not going to apologize for that because we dialed it up that way, but that was sort of the purpose of it. And then we ended up finding out we had so much fun doing it versus suffering, and so we turned the challenge of yeah it was hard to into more like fun too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm sure there are there were hard times, but you're also able to pull this other level of like.
Speaker 2: I think there was a lot less type three fun. There was more Type one and type two fun in there. You know, let's go, it's good, got it. Life is all about balance, Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: So you is it right that you climbed every fourteen or in Colorado before you were eighteen?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I grew up doing all the mountains because I'm out of my back door. When I got my learner's permit as a fifteen year old kid, I would drive to trailheads, and back then there were only some trails on these fourteen ers, and you get above tree line. On most of them, there was no trail. So that goes back to like this essence of expiration. You's got to figure it out. I loved, Yeah, figure it out. And yeah, and then as a skier, I always wanted to ski them. So I also went back and skied down all their coloraud of fourteen ers, and then obviously did that other project called Sleeping on the Summits, which was one of my books, which was camping up on the tops of all these mountains to enjoy the view, the sunset, sunrise photos and then acclimate my body for bigger challenges. And yeah, all this fourteener stuff just led me into wanting to do the mountains all over the world. What was the most dangerous one to ski for fourteen ers? Yeah, Capital is pretty difficult, Pyramids pretty difficult. They're both in their aspen steep. They're just really steep. They have no fall zones on them, and like a good thing that Like when I did that project, I had skied most of the fourteen ers over the years, and I went back and tried to attempt them all in the same year in twenty sixteen, which is now ten years ago. But when I compare that winter to what we just had for a winter this winter, would have not been possible really to ski most of them because too much ice to to lack of snow. Yeah, I mean, just not enough coverage not enough. The winter was so poor in Colorado, so pretty lucky that that year was a really big winter snow wise to be able to ski down all the peaks.
Speaker 1: We're going to take a quick break and then John is going to tell us what he learned sleeping at the peak of every single fourteen or in Colorado.
Speaker 2: What'd you learn from sleeping on the peaks? What I learned from sleeping on the peaks was I did the sleeping on the summits before the full ski project, even though I had skied a lot of the fourteen ers when I was younger, because that was one thing that was lost in the translation of the twenty sixteen. I went and attempted all of them and was able to summit all of them. And then there was controversy whether it's not I skied down certain ones, and I was like, well no, because it was too rocky. Still, I had to repel something, and it was, you know, not complete ski descents on a couple of them, but almost all of them. Is still skied down, all of them. But I guess what I'm saying about that project was a lot of people are like, oh, well, how's he doing this so fast? Like this guy's never skied all these mountains before. I was like, well, actually, I'd already skied most of them prior to that, and that was because, you know, I was grew up a skier. But then the fourteen Ers Sleeping project was four years before that, and so I had taken all this data right from Okay, well, people ask me questions about like when I spent the night on all the fourteen Ers, Well, what did you do when you're up there? Well, as a skier, I actually dialed in like if I were to come back and ski all these how would I ski them? And you studied you know, you're sitting up there for hours, right, So yeah, I was shooting photos, but you can only shoot so many pictures at sunrise and sunset if you're up there for two or three hours. Besides, you know, drinking water and nutrition sitting around You're like, okay, well it'd be really cool to go off this face, Right'd be really cool to go that face. So studying the geography of the peaks too, and that aided me four years later and to be able to put together a project that was about four or five months in the making of skiing all the fourteen ers in one season. This is kind of pivoting.
Speaker 1: Why do you think the outdoor world there's so much like, for lack of a better term, like a pissing contest.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like competitiveness, chess put I feel like it's unique. There's unlike, it's unlike anything I've ever seen to my attention, more in the last like ten years, especially with more social media, because my projects were built on this sort of go out test myself progression. And I've always thought the outdoors were for you to create your own project, right, And the reason for me doing these things is that like, yeah, I mean, I just love being out there and it's like, well, is this possible? Is this possible? It's just like a cur genuine curiosity for the outdoors, not a measuring stick. And the thing with the outdoors is the conditions changed so much too so when people try to let's say the guys that do FKTs fastest known times. A good example is even this year on Everest, Tyler Andrews did his fastest known time up the mountain with oxygen and he bested a Sherpa from ten or fifteen years prior by about an hour. But my argument even with that, is that for both of those guys, because I've been in the Ice Fall so many times, well, what if the year that the other guy did at the ice Fall had more turns in it because of the way that the trail gets created. So for that kind of record, I don't really see the point. I mean, yeah, you're fast going up at great But like, and as similar to some of the projects I've done over the years, at times, if it's come out in the community that I've done something, there's always haters, right, There's always somebody that comes down and like, oh, well he didn't do this one or he didn't see that peak, And I was like, yeah, but I wasn't trying to compare myself to others. I was just trying to test myself and to see what is possible in that season and to have fun. And I'm like, I think you guys are all getting lost and like the fact that I'm just out having fun and I want to encourage other people to go out and do their own adventures so that it goes back to this idea of like growth and enjoyment and fulfillment and things that we all should seek. So yeah, so that's kind of been my purpose in the outdoors, and that's changed with my why now too. Right, So over the years I would do my own projects. I kind of got away from that because my why also shifted for Mount Everaricet or for the Seventh Summits. I don't really go back to the Seven Summits on my own anymore. It's okay, what client has the same values as me? Are they seeking out to potentially change their life or to work towards something? And those are usually the people that I gravitate towards.
Speaker 1: What qualities do you think people who make it to the top half you mentioned patients? Is there other things that you see pop up like these are the sort of skill set you need beyond just you need being shared?
Speaker 2: But yeah, it's the It's the patience mainly obviously perseverance and the willing to kind of up their level of whatever it is, attention, endurance, facing their fears. Mike Posner and Devin Levec in particular in twenty twenty one and twenty twenty four, both great guys, both distinctly different in the mount on the mountain with their approach both authentic though and great people to work with, but you know, they both had sort of their own whys, and they both were successful because they both were willing to put in the extra effort too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, I mean putting the extra effort on the mountain or in preparation or all.
Speaker 2: Yeah, preparation. And then you could see for both of them why their lives are so successful off the mountain, you know. And and I just love working with people like that. That drives me for sure. Yeah, you know, it's a lot of fun. Yeah, We're going to take a quick.
Speaker 1: Break, and then John is going to tell us more about the Everest Ready mindset and how you can find it. What are some of the more harrowing experiences you've had on Everest.
Speaker 2: I'd say there's been two or three moments where well, the earthquake was probably the biggest one that changed my life. What was that like? So in twenty fifteen, I went there on my own actually to climb and ski Everston Lotzi at the time. And when I went there, I barely got to the mountain and this giant seven point nine magnitude earthquake happens. We're in base camp. A big sonic wave of ice and snow come down from a side mountain across from Everest and wipes out the base camp and kills twenty people right in front of me. Holy crap. And I was above the base camp, like my camp was luckily higher up than the main part of base camp, so we didn't get hit by the last of ice and snow and wind. And when we went down into the disaster zone, there was twenty people dead and many people injured, and you know, we're helping carry injured to helipads. Obviously people were dead and you're just like, wow, I could have been me. And that experience really changed my life because except for the COVID year, since twenty fifteen, I go back every year two or three times to Nepal, taking various groups to their climb mountains, track hike. We run a study abroad program now with one of the colleges. So I just my calling is like I got home from that experience and my parents hugged me, and my mom and dad said to me, well, what are you going to do with this now? And I'm like, what do you mean? And my Dad's like, well, you got to live, Like what are you going to do now? And I just because of that, I have very few bad days now, I've I've never tired. I'm always excited to get up and go again and live because I feel like I could have just been wiped out. Yeah, and that's experience really just profoundly changed how I mean. It's not like I had a bad too before that, but I just think it it really pushed my level even higher. Put in Christmas and it just yeah, and it just allows me to live more fulfilling and more excited life about anything that I'm doing. Yeah, regardless.
Speaker 1: And you've had people on the mountain that have been in a sort of bad shape that you've helped, right, Yeah.
Speaker 2: So in twenty twelve, on my first climb, you know, there was sort of like this incident that happened similar to what happened on Into Thinner, like John krack Hour's book where I in twenty twelve, that was my first climb I've ever. So I couldn't really afford to go with like a big company, so I went with a smaller company. I paid like twenty nine grand for my first ever expedition. The trip included some like help with some of the camps, but like buy and large, I was on my own on the mountain. Yeah, most trips are how much are most trips like now seven sixty to one hundred grand with a lot of shirp support and open things. But anyway, I was on a summit push. We decided that sort of the team, there were several other people on the team I was on that all sort of had paid different amounts of money to be there with either a shirt bo or have oxygen available, and to avoid crowds on the mountain, we waited an extra day. But by waiting an extra day, we were risking higher winds. But that meant I'd rather hike in a non traffic jam. But there was so many people that were up on the mountain as this windstorm came in when we were going for the summit, that people seven people died that night. Wow. And there were people that you couldn't help, and then there were people on our team that needed help. And basically I ended up aboarding a summit push, going back to base camp, and then three or four days later having to skip camps to actually reach the summit. And that was the topic of a Dayline NBC documentary called Into the Death Zone, and that sort of because I was my first climb of Everest, and that with the timing of my books, gave me at the time kind of a platform to create this career in the outdoors. Yeah, and so Everest for me was this story of overcoming all odds. Like there were so many people that quit after that summit push, because usually when you get within five hundred feet of the summit, you only get one shot. You go back to base camp, you're exhausted. But at the time, I was in my early thirties and I was a beast, which I pried upon, like always growing up in the mounds and just pushing myself. And I knew that I also I knew that if I gave up on that investment, like what was going to happen to my life? I didn't know. I was like I got to go back up, and my friends and family supported me, and I went back up and made it to the top of the world. And ever since that day, Yeah, my career just took off in terms of I think that gave me the momentum that I wanted to be able to do other things and just enjoy not having failed on Everest hanging over my head.
Speaker 1: What do you think was the switch that flipped that where most people are going, I'm not doing this.
Speaker 2: I think fear of death or exhaustion, or genuinely strength. I mean, we were in one hundred mile prior winds getting blasted one night and I covered up and came down and myself and a few sherpas were helping others to get back to tents and give them oxygen. And for some reason, why was an ie suffering? It was sort of odd. It was like, well, I think it's because I grew up in the mountains and I've been climbing, and I have a natural affinity for altitude. And I'm okay, you know, just by fortune, I guess, but maybe not an accident, but yeah, so yeah. So then when I got down from that, it actually gave me a lot of confidence. I was like, wait, if I can do that, I think I could do anything. Yeah. And then I wanted to do some other expeditions and get some of my guide certifications and become a ski guy and a mountain guide and all that kind of stuff too. And that's how the right after that, in twenty fourteen, I led some trips to kill Them and Jarro and Atcancagua and that gave me some confidence that maybe I can create a career out of this thing.
Speaker 1: We're going to take a break and then John is going to tell us about how he balances risk on these really dangerous climbs.
Speaker 2: How do you balance risk? What do you think about it?
Speaker 1: I feel like most people if they're up there and now, yeah, as I go, okay, maybe mountaineering is not for me.
Speaker 2: When I'm guiding, it's more conservative approach. Though when I'm not guiding, I can push it a little more and be more aggressive. But even even on trips where like in twenty twenty one, a dear friend of mine, Colin ol Brady, he invited me on the K two Winter Expedition where there was several climbers attempting to become the first people in the winter to summit K two. And when I went on that trip with him, I had different acceptable levels of risk than he did. Yours are higher, oh much lower, except well a higher meaning like a I don't accept if it's too cold or too windy. Yeah, yeah, So I guess my level of risks tolerance is probably a little bit lower than his. But we had because they're such good friends, We've done other projects together. We sort of had an agreement like on the trip is like at any time, if either one of us wanted to pull the plug, that's okay, because we had also hired shrip Was to climb with and in that particular instance, and they'll be a There's a documentary coming out this summer on Apple TV called The Last First about K two, and it's about that trip and what happened because five people have lost their lives, and three of them lost their lives on the summit push where Colin and I walked out of base camp, we went up towards Camp one, started going up to some of the ropes after we had already climatized up to Camp two on the mountain, and I just melt a rat and a lot of different ways. One was that because of my background on neurology having access to good weather forecasts, I just knew the weather wasn't going to be acceptable. It's going to be too cold and too windy. And then I also knew that there was a bunch of other somewhat amateur climbers going on this summit push, and I felt like that wasn't a safe thing to be up there when they were, and those two things for me just were enough evidence to say, look, calm, it's okay. You can take the shirp as we have and go for an attempt. You'll be safe with them, relatively safe with them. But I'm out. I'm going to go down to base camp. I'll be on the radio. I still support you going to the top. And then in the days after that, which this documentary will really cover, is three people lost their lives and then two more on the course of that trip died, so five guys never came home. And that experience too changed my risk tolerance a lot of times with what I'm doing in my own career. Even Yeah, it's kind of an interesting thing. Even lately I've been talking with other climbers and my I sort of feel the profession reading some things even just like learning, talking like my parents and people that are older, and I feel like as we all get older, like for me, I'm in my forties, but like, there's things I won't do now that I would have done in my twenties and thirties. And it's not even about me saying I'm too old to do it, because I don't have that attitude. Still, I still do a lot of climbing and trips, and I'm out there living, but it's more about learning about what those consequences are and knowing that I want to just live longer and not deal with that risk anymore, that I say no. And an example that is like, at one time I thought I'd want to climb the fourteen highest mountains in the world, the eight thousand meter peaks. Through my twenties and thirties, I pursued several expeditions on mountains like Manisley that I summoned it without oxygen or gasherbrum two, and then I went to K two. But then I thought, okay, cool. At some point I might end up on Annapurna or canchin Junger or some of these hard or more dangerous eight thousand ers, And at this time I look at them and I'd rather go climb my first ascent on a mountain that's not as dangerous, or go do an old I run ultras, run one hundred k like I'm going to do this summer and go explore new countries and do things that aren't as dangerous anymore. And I'm okay with it. And I used to say, oh, I definitely want to do that. I definitely want to do that. I want to put myself in that area. And I now I'm kind of that perception for me is changing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a lot of those are notable simply because they're risky.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're really big and dangerous mountains. Yeah, you know.
Speaker 1: And so it kind of it almost goes back to that like measuring stick like you were talking about. Yeah, it's like, why do we want to do this, well because people think it's awesome. What do they think it's awesome because it's risky And you go, oh wait, but I'm the one who's going to actually be putting my life on the line for a couple of pots on the back from my head.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and and and at the end of the day, nobody really cares except myself or my family or my close friends. Are my loved ones, Like I could care less about what a photo does on social media. And I think that's the most important takeaway for me living now that I think a lot of people should start paying attention due because yeah, there are all these like record seekers and people that are going out and doing mountains just to say the look at me, look at me, and that sort of loses its value. I think it loses its value a lot because the reason becomes outward not inward. Yeah. Yeah, and you see that unfortunately the most on Mount Everest. Yeah, you know, this season it was the worst it's ever been. Well, we had the most summits in the history of the mountain. And if you go do a search on social the amount of people just doing the look at me, look at me is really the present and then there's not a ton of Well the media highlights certain things or certain people sometimes and you're sort of like, well, that's not really unique, Like this person is climbing it. Well seven thousand, eight thousand people, Now I've done that mountain. So yeah, it's still a challenge. It's still highest moount in the world. I do see why people are drawing to it, and that's okay, but I think people need to dial back their bravado, I think, and really take a hard look at their Why why is K two so hard? Isn't it considered the hardest? Yeah, it's so steep. It's only seven hundred and fifty feet lower than Everest. Yeah, so because that's still really high. Yeah, and so what it can do to the body is really really tough and damaging and scary. And yeah, and now I look at that mountain after experiencing it in the winter, and another thing that kind of turns me off now is for better or for worse, the commercialization of our mountains. And that's why I have to sort of take this with a little bit of a cautious approach, right, because I'm part of that commercialization like it or not. I've brought people to Everest, I bring people to mountains, but how are we protecting these places? How are we managing them? And how are we you know, when they can commercialize, how is that impacting people's experiences and the safety when they're there. And so for me, that's the epitome of why I did choose a first ascent this season in Nepaul over a commercialized mountain, because for me, some commercialized mountains aren't growth anymore unless I can go to the mountain with let's say, a small team myself and we do all the work ourselves and we climb ourselves. One of my heroes in the mountaineering space of eight thousand meter peaks was Ed Viisters, the first to climb the fourteen and he did it without supplemental oxygen, and he did it in an era before buying large commercialization on mountains. Somebody like that is just I admire because of what they went through to accomplish that feat. And now when you go the mountains are so commercialized, there's ropes everywhere, there's people on them. It's easier like it or not, for better or for worse. And it's okay if people want that experience, I think people should go to the mountains. But for me now it's I think it's more about seeking these experiences that uh more will allow me to grow more. Yeah, And so the combination of picking like a first ascent or going to places I haven't gone before. And if I'm guiding, I'm guiding somebody that that is really for me. That's the project, is working with them getting them to their summit. And those are the things that allow me to grow now versus some experiences that are different that I don't feel like challenge me as much.
Speaker 1: It's almost like you've had to put put in more work and there's more questions about the things that you're doing now. So the first ascent you just did, no one, no one had ever been there, it's not like you could download yeah, try.
Speaker 2: To look on Google Earth and we're like it's over here, somewhere in this valley and kind of look there. But it was okay, the only one and that was the thing, like and and some of the people helped me out that too, or people ask me questions about like, oh, you could just google it and figure that out. I'm like, actually, no, it doesn't work that way. You have a full lot of map and then you have to go in the valley and just go explore it. And that was fun and figure out how you up, what route are you going to take?
Speaker 1: There's all these questions as whereas with the other thing, if there's already all the ropes ready.
Speaker 2: For yeah, they just kind of like rope in and climbers show up and they just have to jug up the rope and you're like, well, there's not growth in that for me anymore.
Speaker 1: There's more a mental component, yeah, to having to figure out more things by yourself. If everything is sort of fixed and pre planned, you just got to like do exactly as you're told and then just push.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah and then and so that's kind of like now and I still get made fun of all the time because I'm more like my dad with this, but like he pulls out the old road outis still hey, where are we going? HOI? He crewed Mike and I for about forty to fifty percent of that Continental Divide trail. We had to teach him how to use some of the maps and Google maps to assist him because he was pulling out road houses and he'd be like, well is the road to get in there? And we're like, Dad, it's on there, like yeah, you know, crazy and interesting to see that too. But I do defend him on some of that because a good example is even navigating here. Instead of having Siri tell me where, I like to pull up the whole map, see where it is, see where I am, and then follow the map as is, as opposed to have Siri tell me on it. And I've still worked that way because I'm a geographer and most people think I'm crazy. But I don't like to shut my mind off and just have something tell me. I like to learn as I go and worry it myself.
Speaker 1: I think I've mentioned this study on the podcast before, but there's this These researchers looked at four hundred different careers and they wanted to know what careers tend to get Alzheimer's and other degenerate brain diseases the most in the least, and they found that the two jobs that had the least amount of Alzheimer's were ambulance drivers and taxi drivers. And the big reason, they thought, is because they're having to pay attention to their environment and navigate their environment all the time. And that seems to do so if you think about an evolutionary context, people had to figure out where they were in space, where they were going all the time, and they had to do it on the move, And there's something that's good for our brain behind that. And then but today we can obviously offload so much of that to just you.
Speaker 2: Just follow the blue dog fall.
Speaker 1: So if you can figure out ways to do more of your figuring it out how to get from point A to point B, that seems to be good for people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. And I think with all this technology and AI, that's the other part. It's like, oh my gosh, I want to actually want to write this email, like I actually want to think on my own. And I think some people, especially the younger generation, and get lost in this, in that and not thinking on their own. That's kind of scary. Actually, you know, technology is great, good for better or worse. But yeah, and I hope people don't get lost and not being able to think on their own. What happened when you got struck by lightning or you're tempted? Man, that experience was crazy. Yeah. Basically, there was like a rogue storm sort of coming over. It was in the fall, so you get these sort of like cold fronts that move over the mountains in Colorado where kind of hails and snows and yeah, and I was sitting in a tent. I was actually I called my mom real quick to check in. I had sell service and say, well, hey, I only have like four peaks left in this project and I can't wait to get done. And then and then all of a sudden, there's like a flash boom outside of my tent. I'm like, what the heck is this? And uh, and then the tent poles were kind of like buzzing and every yeah, and so I opened up the zipper and look out and it was literally the storm moving right over me. And then when you see, yeah, like sort of lights flashing on the rocks and that's it's called Sante Almo's fire happening. You know, lightning's going to strike their pretty quick. And this was on a mountain called Harvard. So as soon as I saw that, I slipped my shoes on, jumped out of the tent and jumped sort of off the summit block to get down to the trail. Lightning struck the tent and knocked me off my feet into the ground that I got up, and I was like, just in fear for my life. So I ran down the trail and it was kind of in haste and it was dark, and next thing, I know, maybe a thousand feet down from the summit, and as storms moved through, car out of they moved through quick usually, and so just it was over, stars came out and I was like what And then I realized, wait a minute, all my stuff's up there. It's the middle of the night. Now it's like ten pm. I can't go down. So I went back up to the tent and just kind of looked and I'm like what the heck, And like the charred remains in my headlamp were sitting on my sleeping bag and then I and then I kind of smelt burnt, like burned, and so then I was well, I'm like, well, I have no choice here. I just got go to bed. So I got back and sleeping bag and fell asleep the morning to light. Yeah, the storm was gone. It was beautiful morning. I took a video of that, which is in the book. The video. There's QR codes in the book show everything. Yeah and yeah. And then and then I go to take the tent down. The poles were melted together and there were holes in the tent and it was like, yeah, this got cooked pretty good, you know, but I escaped. Yeah, yeah, it was. It was gnarly.
Speaker 1: So you have a PhD. And tell us what an environmental geography was.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, emphasis is on weather and climate. So I took climatology, meteorology, all those courses, glaciology and so yeah, I'm essentially a meteorologist with my training and stuff. How has that helped you in the mountains tremendously? Yeah, I mean sleeping on the summits was a partnership my great friend Chris Tomer, who's a he does mount weather for expeditions. Now, that was sort of the infancy of his career because after that, I sent him a lot of referrals after that book came out and people would call him, and now he does mountain weather for expeditions all over the world. He had several clients on Everest this year. When I'm on trips, he sends me forecasts. But anyway, at the time, you know, this was twenty twelve, so you know, we didn't really have those fancy weather apps where you can just pull it up and look at the radar. But I'd be up on a mountain, and after having climbed those peaks through my childhood, I could be like, hey, okay, we're on this. You know Mount Harvard, got stand by that rock over there, and you have cell coverage and and so then it would pop in and send me messages about the current conditions and be like, hey, there's a storm over. You know, being a vista, it looks like it's moving away. Here, there's a storm over. Assmen, it's coming towards you. You might want to get out of the way, that kind of stuff. But it would allow me to watch the storms go by at eye level, and that would it was really fantastic because you know, I could stay up there or I'd have to make the call and get off, and you know it contributed success for sure, and trusting his judgment of what he was seeing on his radar and working as a metrologists. But then also I having studied weather and climate up being up there, I could be like, oh, yeah, that storm is definitely going to fade out of for sunset, or you know, I know they're prevailing winds today, I know that's going to go away, or hey, you know these cumulus clouds are going to develop even higher should probably be.
Speaker 1: So I feel like people overestimate, or rather they fear things like bears and snakes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it's the weather that kills you. Yeah, yeah, Yeah, I mean I had to run in with the bear in one particular occasion on Little Bear. Have you done any fourteen ers over the years. I haven't. I haven't spent much time in Colorado now. I'm I'm from Utah, so we're like kind of Colorado. You shune your family out for a hike? Yeah, something we'll have to yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Regarding weather, do you feel like Everest is getting safer or more dangerous?
Speaker 2: So I've heard two really hard Yeah, that's a hard question because I feel like we do have good data, and we have good weather forecasting with basic trends and generally, but you know, I was in contact with Crys a lot this year. He had six different people on the mountain. And even though in general from a general meteorology trend, every year from about the fifteenth to the twenty fifth is kind of the sweet spot on Everest. And what I've found personally is it's twofold. If we do wait and let all the people that think the summit window opens and they go for it, and there's a bajillion people going up like this year there was two hundred and seventy eight people on the same day. It was a new record. When I gather info in base camp and see that many people going on a day, I don't go. I'm like, I'll wait, I'll wait a week. It's fine. But also we know meteorologically statistically the weather does get warmer from about the twenty first to the twenty eighth. On Everest every year it's warmer than in the teens, And so it's better just to wait. You're gonna be up there, it's going to be safer for you frostbite wise. There's gonna usually be less wind. This year, the people were summoning from about the when they got the ropes, and I think on like the fourteenth, all the way through the twenty ninth, for a two week period there wasn't summits every day. But then this year it was odd because the jet stream lingers, and this can happen every year. Sometimes after the twentieth it's actually really really nice, and this year there was some days where it was souper windy and then people didn't sum it, or like even on the last some of the last summit pushes, my friend Garrett Madison was up there with his team and they waited in Camp four for an extra day because it got so windy and nobody summitted on like the twenty sixth or something like that, and then the next day people summitted. Interesting, and so it even though we have good tools to forecast the weather, that jet stream is unpredictable. It's unpredictable. Yeah, there's some days where even Chris was like, yeah, looks like it's gonna be maybe twenty mile prior wins and it's like, oh, it's terrible. And then and then there were days where it was forecasted maybe twenty and it was dead calm, and yeah, Unfortunately the four summits I've done have been twenty first, twenty third, twenty sixth, and June first, so later in the period, and always they've been good. Fortunately, they've been really good.
Speaker 1: It's this push and poll of we have better weather technology, imperfect, but better. Yeah, but then also the rising popularity of the mountain where so yeah, tell people about like the Hillary step and how people have to wait and what's the danger in that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean the dangers higher up is that, yeah, it's cold, but and you got to keep moving. But you know most climbers don't evers climb with oxygen, so and when a guide to guide on it. So when you're up that high, if oxygen runs out, you're cooked, like it's like a drug. And so you could be going up and if you're taking too long on that Hillary step, and it's just why the trails as wide as this table. Okay, And so you couple you can see how you can't really get by. You can try you kind of wrap around. It's easier to get around people on the way down. And one of my summits in twenty twenty four with Devin was actually a crowded day. The way we avoided that was we started really early and we're on the summit at like five am and got off the summit before six am, and on the way down, tons of people were coming up and we just reached around and reached around them. And then once you got to the South Summit, which is maybe an hour down, you could get down real quick and out of there and it's you can get by people then. So so yeah, we were able to manage it accordingly. But that day there were a lot of people up there getting stuck. People can wait for hours, yeah, two hours, because then the other thing that happens in people's minds. Yeah, I mean gratefully, I've found that I've pretty clear head up on those heights. Even you know, they say, oh, people are focusing, they don't pay attention. I'm like, I'm pretty aware of everything that's going on. But I'll stand there and it's amazing how you try to talk to somebody and they're so locked in. And that's what happens on that step is you can be the line of climbers and they're coming up and no one will stop, and you know, rest for a second. Let you kind of come down and go by and you can end up standing there for like two hours. And if people if you run out of bucy, then that's when people's cognitive functions and people's decision making and people's stamina just goes down the tubes. And that's the biggest problem is with the lines. Yeah, we were reading about even this season, some people having a twenty four hour can't for to camp. If Camp ford a summit and back to Camp four for twenty four hours, how long does it usually take. It's way too long. Usually you should be going up from Camp four three thousand vertical to the summit in about six to ten hours. If you take longer than ten hours, something's wrong. And so when you do that, and then if you're a fastestcender, you can come down in two to four hours back to the camp, so you can do it in a twelve hour round trip. That's an acceptable time. Strong climbers will be a little faster. If someone's a little bit beat up, maybe they take fourteen hours. That's okay, we get pass about fourteen hours. You're in the death zone. Then bad things can happen, whether it's running out of oxygen or just being really exerted and not being able to move very well. And that's the one thing I'll pride myself upon with Everest is and I feel like it's very ethical. Is that. Yeah, we make sure we get our people up there for sunrise, we get them back down to Camp four about like nine or ten am, and then we don't let them stay there. They stay for maybe an hour quick just to eat and drink. We'll have another shrip of making water and they can eat and drink, eat and drink, We pack them, we get them out of there. Because the lower you can get on Everest down to Camp three in Camp two by like lunchtime is the best way, risk management wise to do the mountain. And we've been watching these teams and these groups that just don't get it, and they're going up for too long. Twelve fourteen, eighteen hours are going up and then another six to ten hours down. It's too long. And that those kinds of ethics is what myself and many other guides are trying to coach these other groups and teams to say that that's not acceptable. Yeah, like that's how you get killed. Super risky. Yeah, So you know, and over time, the teams that are doing it the right way, in my opinion, are the ones that are successful, safe and not having any problems. But once you get past that, those times it's just bad things have been happening. And most of the deaths that have occurred on Everest it's been because people don't abide by that.
Speaker 1: How do you how do you have people train for Everest like physical training?
Speaker 2: Well, it's one of my favorite favorite sayings is trained mounains of mountains, because what else is better than doing the real thing? And on top of that, it's creating those simulations. And so you know, someone like Mike who trained with me for two years, he moved to Colorado. We trained on mountains there, but then we went to like four or five different countries and did some bigger mountains with some sort of simulations of Everest where it's you know, on the summ at night, we leave at eight or nine pm and you climb through the night, so you can sum it at four or five am and the sunrise and then you're back down. And so I would create a lot of Everest simulations where even if it was a smaller mountain like Mount Rainier. Hey, Mike, we're going to start at ten pm on Vernier and climb through the night from the parking lot and do a big day so we can sum it at sunrise and come back down and so you can feel how hard that is. And I think those simulations are the best for anybody trying to do. Ever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, probably his fitness is not improving all that much that day, but what is happening is that his mind is going, Okay, this is what it's going to be.
Speaker 2: Like I've been here before, cold and dark, I'm fumbling with my mittens. I've got to figure out where my snacks are. I got to figure out how to make sure my light doesn't go out. So it's all the real world things. I mean, even tomorrow going to Mount Whitney with some people that want to get ready Foreverest at some point. Yeah, we're going to start at ten pm and go through the night and see how they see how tough they are, and that's a good way to be Ever's ready.
Speaker 1: What's the ideal build for mountaineers, Skinny.
Speaker 2: I think, well, yeah, I mean a good example is me. Like when I was in college, I played basketball at Velpros University. I played for Scott Drew. Now who was the coach of Baylor. We still stay in touch. And I was about, well, I'm about six two sixty three. I'm about the same height as Steph Curry actually, but I weighed like two twenty five two thirty and college just pushing more heavier weight, and I still had the cardio to play basketball, but you just have to be bigger, a little bit bigger and stronger. Now way about one eighty and I found that not having that extra forty to forty five pounds on my frame really benefits me on the mountains. I can move much more efficiently. Cardio strength and just endurance is there. So so yeah, a prototypic person, they don't need to be so skinny and frail. But if you don't have the extra, you know, sometimes you get these guys that are like kind of jacked and they kill Theminjarro and they get beach body and they get pretty worked. Yeah, you know, and they look at me and they're like, what the heck. You know, I've had some guys on kill manjar the last few years that they all summitted, but they were like, you know, in their twenties and early thirties and young, and what's going on why is doctor John so strong. I'm the one that's like at the gym body and I'm tough, you know. But but yeah, I found you can't have that to have good amountain cardios.
Speaker 1: Even if it's muscle, you're still having to carry it. Yeah, you just need it enough to make it up. And that's not going to be as much as people might think.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So we still do is a lot of functional training, and I have a couple of coaches that do work with like clients of mine that want to train remotely and based on where they live for example. But we do try to up the cardio and the mountain experiences because I think that's probably weighted, in my opinion, ninety percent of the importance versus the gym. I do a lot more yoga than actual weightlifting. Oh really, Yeah, to stay stretched and stay strong with some of the poses. And I'll do some functional training in the gym, but sometimes the gym is few and far between because the outdoors is my gym. You know. There you go.
Speaker 1: So how do you approach eating on these big expeditions.
Speaker 2: I do a lot of packing my own snacks. If I want certain snacks that you can't get what's your go to? Well, it depends, Like Paul, we eat a lot of snickers, but awesome, But I mean I like to try to eat eat healthy so or even just like snacks that have a lot of good vitamins, minerals, certain ingredients, superfoods, things like that, like pro bars I love.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you eat the green one, the super food Yeah, the superfood one is tasty.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that one's pretty nice. I learned a lot about other sort of alternative type snacks and foods from Mike actually because he was trying to, you know, eliminate sugar, and sugar can be a problem, right, because some of these these snacks are so sugar and it's like, well, yeah, just a certain degree when you're out there, it's okay because you're burning it all, but it also can make your heart rate skyrocket. And also just like you know, you got to get good protein as well. So he was ordering a lot of different kind of organic type bars or raw bars, like these brownie bars are good. The brand name was. And then we had these mirror energies they were called yeah, yeah, Mirror Energy, which were like less sugar in them, it's like all natural ingredients. But then actually The other one that I really gravitate towards, especially on US trips, is just real fruits and vegetables, so like cuties and apples and bananas. I mean, that's what I grabbed the store that I'm gonna take tomorrow because I just want to eat real food. My trail name was Avocado, so I would carry alvocados and just cut them up and eat them straight on the trail, you know, two or three a day. Sometimes good oil is good fats, that kind of thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so we're going to take a break and then John is going to tell us about the best hikes and climbs that anyone can do. Peaks in Colorado, the average person could climb that. You like, what do you recommend?
Speaker 2: I like going down to like Buna Vista and the Cleegiate Peaks are there, and you've got hot springs and the trails are easy to access, and then they're asspen I mean, I obviously the peaks and Asthma are more rugged like the Maroon Bells and Capital, but I end up on the Maroon Bells and Capital and Castle Peak. Every year I generally lead a hut trip over by Castle Peak every winter because we love to ski down. We actually ski down it this year, So yeah, I just love the They're so beautiful. And then for me, out of my backyard of vale As, you have the Gore Mountains and Gore Range and they're all thirteen ers. So because they're so they're not fourteen ers at all, they're more rugged. You don't see people. You know, you can go to a trail head on a Saturday and it's empty, and so I like to get out on places that you won't see anybody. It makes it more fun. Even I like that. What's your go to pieces of gear from a trail runner perspective? I like things that are fast and light, So I mean I have a few different sort of runners type hoodies that are like more lightweight windbreaker type things. And then I'm on the Hmalai Athlete team now, so like I love the sun hoodies and they're accelerator jackets are great. We give those to all of our clients and trips. Yeah, so we hook people up with some of the gear. I'm not a huge gearhead though, Like I'll have like shirts that I've had forever and I'll wear them still that kind of thing. People are like, do you have a hole in that, like get a new shirt, and I'm like, well, I like it, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so it's good to not get too Yeah. Yeah, I have friends that I think they enjoy the process of looking for and buying gear more than they do actually going out.
Speaker 2: In the wilderness. Yeah. Yeah, I always chuckle at that going back functional for sure, over like looks. Sometimes my color schemes aren't great, but although with Hamali my gear gets better, for sure. Yeah, I like it.
Speaker 1: With sort of everything you've learned from the mountains, what's the takeaway for the average person, Like, how do they use this in their own life?
Speaker 2: If they're like.
Speaker 1: I'm never going to climb a mountain, dude, Yeah, what can I do? And what can I learn from it?
Speaker 2: I mean, I think you have to accept an embrace being uncomfortable on some level in order to grow. I can stamp that seal of approval. Yeah, And I mean that's that's how I've lived my life now and it's changed my life for the better no matter what. And then when it comes to doing projects in the outdoors or signing up for a trip or going out with your friends, is like you should just say yes, Like if if someone asks you to do something crazy and audacious, you should always say yes, and if you do, like what possibly could go wrong? Something will happen. Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: The guy I did the Heyduke with he would always just say something will happen.
Speaker 2: Like that.
Speaker 1: That's the most accurate sentence I've ever heard of my life. Something will happen, Matt. Well, John, it is awesome to have you. Yeah, I appreciate having here. Thanks, thanks for checking out the show, and thanks to John for coming into the studio on his way to climb another mountain. As a reminder, we are in your feed twice a week, so please keep an eye out for more. Don't forget to hit subscribe so you can get those updates when new episodes come out, and if you want to watch it on the new and free iHeart video app, you should definitely do that. We're always open to questions, so please send them to media at twopct dot com or drop them in the comments and we will be sure to answer as many of your questions as we can. As always, have fun, don't die, and find your next mountain.