Speaker 1: So thanks very much guys for coming on the show. And before we dig in, I want to do my due diligence and point out that I'm the only one on this call to not have won a Hugo Award, because Kelly also won a Hugo.
Speaker 2: If you have fewer than three, it's like you don't have one.
Speaker 3: Thanks Diy. You know he did write us the night we got our Hugo to tell us that.
Speaker 1: Wow, he just rounded you down to zero Hugos. All right, well, welcome to that less than three Hugo club. Kelly, thanks me, you and most of the planet.
Speaker 3: We'll drink after this.
Speaker 1: Welcome to Daniel and Kelly's The Extraordinary Universe. I'm Daniel Watson. I'm a particle physicist, a huge sci fi reader, and a big fan of the Expanse.
Speaker 3: I'm Kelly Smith. I study parasites and write about space, and I love the Expanse so much because it's got like parasites and.
Speaker 1: Space parasites in space space. So, do you only read science fiction novels that contain weird, evil micro organisms?
Speaker 3: Unfortunately, No, there's just not that many to choose from. But no, I love all sci fi. What's your favorite sci fi story.
Speaker 1: Oh, I'm a big fan of almost anything that is hard science fiction that you know, picks a set of rules and really follows it. I read a lot of science fiction, though. I'm a big fan of Ian Banks, Alistair Reynolds, Adrian Tchaikovski, and The Expanse. Of course, I just can't get enough.
Speaker 3: I love the Expanse. I also really like the Strugatsky Brothers. They were writing during this like Soviet Union time, and they've got this book called Roadside Picnic, which just like guts me every time, and it's just such a interesting world and like also kind of gets be sort of teary eyed. Anyway, it's it's great. So I don't necessarily love the hard stuff. I just love a world that is created that is interesting, where they're consistent with the rules. That's all I want is consistency in a world that's been made that's interesting.
Speaker 1: Another subcategory of sci fi that I love is science fiction written by professors. For example, I love verner Vinge, and he was a professor in San Diego until very recently, And of course I love that because it makes me feel like maybe one day I could also write science fiction, but also because it's good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I happen to know that you are a good writer in a variety of different genres. Yes, you got this, we'll see.
Speaker 1: But today we're not talking about Daniel's science fiction preferences. We're talking to actual, massively successful, very influential writers of the Expanse.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we somehow manage to get the expans guys on our show. We're super excited and let's just dig right in so we can spend most of the time talking to them exactly.
Speaker 1: So, for those of you who aren't familiar with the series, it's a set of books set in the near future where humanity has colonized the Solar System but effectively split into a few groups folks living on Earth, folks living on Mars, folks living in the Belt. Then they each end up with their own different culture, and there's lots of fun space battles where they really take care of the physics and the gravity, and then there's some unexpected stuff that happens.
Speaker 3: And they're just so good at character writing. All right, let's do this. Welcome to Daniel and Kelly's Extraordinary Universe. Today we have the authors of the Expanse, Ty Frank and Daniel Abraham. And instead of like telling you about how they got like a hugo and maybe more than one Hugo, maybe four or something like that, I'm gonna tell you the story about how we all met because it explains how Daniel and Kelly managed to land the Expanse guys on our show, which is a pretty lucky catch for us. So many years ago, back when it was possible for little nerds like Zach and I to afford booths. At San Diego Comic Con, we had a booth for our Sketch Comedy theater, our sketch comedy show, SMBC Theater, and Ty came to our booth not to tell us that we were funny, but to tell us that our friend James was funny. But James wasn't there, and so he got stuck talking to us. And it turns out that Ty has a really brilliant, amazing wife, and so we all got along pretty well. And then when Zach and I moved across the country, we asked if we could stop at their place on the way, and they said yes, and we brought our cats with us, and we made a big mistake because the cats were in the guest room and I opened up the door real quick and they both ran out and they hid in their fireplace, and then I went to try to get him out of there, and they ran across their house and put little kiddy footprints all over the place. We haven't been back to their place yet. Probably those two pieces of information are not related, but maybe they are. But Ti mentioned during that trip that he had like a space upper thing that was going to come out soon, and it turned out that was the expanse. So, you know, after hanging out with us, he became a really big deal. Maybe correlated, who knows, But importantly, he virtually introduced me to Daniel, who has a book called Unclean Spirits, which has a main character who's a parasitologist who is both attractive and very smart. Parasitologists are not usually portrayed in that light. If we're portrayed at all, we're kind of like creepy. And when I mentioned this to my husband, he pointed out that book also has vampires and is fiction. You know, So if anybody needs someone to rain on their parade, I can give you my husband's phone number. So anyway, Daniel and Tye are both wonderful, amazing people. It's so much fun to have them on the show. They write together as James sa Corey for The Expanse and other projects. They also do amazing work separately. Welcome to the show.
Speaker 4: Thank you very much, happy to be here.
Speaker 3: Is that about how you remember it?
Speaker 4: Ty?
Speaker 3: Did you ever get to meet James?
Speaker 2: Yeahs James. James is in many of your videos wearing the Game of Thrones T shirt I gave him.
Speaker 3: Oh nice, Oh fantastic. He's also on a lot of our videos not wearing a shirt at all, so lots of options there.
Speaker 2: He's very brave. He's a very brave comediic actor.
Speaker 3: Yes he is.
Speaker 4: He is.
Speaker 3: All right, So Daniel, how about you kick it off with the first question.
Speaker 1: So we're going to ask you lots of science questions about the universe you created. But first I'm going to calibrate where you are in the sort of science fiction spectrum by asking you a classic science fiction philosophy science question, which is about Star Trek transporters. In your opinion, does a star Trek transporter actually relocate you or does it kill you and re materialize you somewhere else?
Speaker 2: I mean it clearly kills you because it disintegrates you, so your dad, and then it makes and then it makes a perfect copy of you. But there's an argument to be made that that happens every time you fall asleep too.
Speaker 4: So this is like arguing canonicity. This is like saying, is Luke really you know? There is a pattern, the pattern is recreated elsewhere consciousness is an illusion. Consciousness can be two illusions. Consciounces can be eight illusions. Consciousness can be illusions in different places. You don't actually exist to begin with, So what does that even mean?
Speaker 3: WHOA, This got philosophical fast.
Speaker 4: That's what I was saying.
Speaker 2: The best and darkest transporter story ever written is by James Patrick Kelly, fantastic one of the best short story writers in side fiction. He wrote a story called Think Like a Dinosaur, which was later adapted and turned into an episode of The Outer Limits in the nineties, and it is the best darkest transporter story ever written. So you should definitely if you're into like does the Transporter kill you should read that one.
Speaker 3: Think Like a Dinosaur is on my list.
Speaker 1: Now, Well, what I love about this question is that the teleporter in Star Trek was, of course invented in the sixties or conceived of much earlier. And now that we know something more about quantum mechanics and quantum information and the no cloning theorem, you know, science has actually informed the philosophy of this question. So it's a lot of fun.
Speaker 2: Any process that begins with your own disintegration should be should be questioned heavily.
Speaker 4: You're as if there were as if there was a standard you.
Speaker 1: This is also an argument to be made from a particle physics perspective, that all of your quantum objects are interacting constantly and therefore transforming, and the process of being de materialized and materialized somewhere else is equivalent to the process of just moving forward through time as quantum fields ripple with energy. So then I have to agree with the other Daniel that like, maybe you don't even exist in any sense.
Speaker 4: This is a problem of narrative framing. The actual issue here is that what's going on doesn't fit gracefully into our language, and that's our language's fault.
Speaker 2: When I first met Daniel, he was very powerfully on the free will side. I think years of association with beating him down to the mechanistic universe.
Speaker 4: No no, no, no, that is not true. I am still firmly in the free Will universe.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because that's what the universe has programmed you to say.
Speaker 3: I'm going to pull us back a little. So when did you two meet, speaking of meeting each other, and how did it transform into a writing partnership at.
Speaker 4: That would have been two thousand and.
Speaker 3: Six, Bubonica, Is this like a festival ce celebrating the bubonic plague?
Speaker 4: Where basically yes, it's the local science fiction convention in Albuquerque. And because we still have the black plague in New Mexico, we have Perry Rodent as our mascot and we just kind of lean into the dark.
Speaker 2: It's also the only state in the country where you are likely to get a hemorrhagic fever.
Speaker 4: Well not likely. We are, however, number two in the world for necrotizing fasci itis.
Speaker 1: This also a huntavirus. Are you a New Mexican, Daniel, I didn't realize I am.
Speaker 4: No, I was. I was born here. Tay actually came through briefly and that's where we met and started the project, and then he fled to someplace with water and greenery.
Speaker 1: I grew up in Los Alamo, so I'm in New Mexican as well.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Los Alamos. That actually explains a lot right there.
Speaker 3: All right, so you met at the Bubonic Plague Festival, Yes, And then how did that turn into a writing partnership.
Speaker 4: Well, there were a couple of things. We had a friend in common who was in the critique group that I was part of at the time, and Ty had sold a short story and was therefore eligible to come play in the critique group and did so we knew each other through that. And Tie also, I don't know, out of the kindness of his heart, saw the sad, lonely Daniel, new dad working too hard guy and said one I had the greatest productivity and invited me over to play video games at his place on Wednesdays.
Speaker 3: And you said yes, yeah, no.
Speaker 4: I love playing video games and he hooked me on left for dead. So then I was screwed and I had to go get my fix.
Speaker 3: And then the Expanse was the Expanse, your first writing project, together.
Speaker 4: With some other little stuff kind of along the way, but the Expanse was definitely the big one.
Speaker 1: And how does your process work writing together? Does one of you outline the other one flesh it out. Do you guys brainstorm together? You guys both editing the Google doc at the same time.
Speaker 2: Daniel's in charge of consonants and I am in charge of vowels.
Speaker 3: That's got to be a slow process.
Speaker 2: Not compared to some Yeah, not when you're typing on the same keyboard.
Speaker 4: Generally, we outlined together than one of us to do the first draft to a chapter and the other guy will edit the first draft and we'll just kind of iterate through that.
Speaker 3: Who's the outline guy or does it alternate?
Speaker 4: Oh no, there's no outlining is a group project.
Speaker 3: And my collaboration was Zach, I'm the outline guy, So we don't have but anyway, all right, So your books are so well written that when I was researching for my book on space settlement, I was blown away by how many times they came across citations of the expanse as though it were a documentary, and that kind of blew my mind. And so was it important to you that you created a world that followed the rules as we know it or not? Really? What do you think is it important to follow rules or make up your own?
Speaker 2: We get a lot of credit for being hard sci fi that isn't actually accurate. There's kind of there's only two rules that Daniel and I never broke in the Expanse, and because every other science fiction project breaks those tool rules constantly, we seemed like weird and exotic. In the Expanse, gravity works the way gravity really works. So spaceships in the Expanse are not like ocean liners, where the deck runs the length of the ship. Spaceships in the expans are built like office towers, so that the deck is below you in the direction that the thrust is coming from. So when the engine fires, you are pushed into the deck rather than being slid backwards the whole length of the ship and into a wall. So that was one way that one thing that we never broke, And the other one we never broke is that light speed is a rule, and so there's no faster than light communications. So if you send a message to your buddy you're on Earth and you send a message your buddy out by Jupiter, it takes three hours to get there, and by the time you get a reply, it's been six hours of past. And because every other sci fi thing just hand waves those two things away, there's gravity plating or there's hyperwave communication. We seemed very exotic and hard because of that, But the rest of it we just kind of were you.
Speaker 4: Know, a lot of the science in there came from the stuff we were already kind of excited by too. So I mean Ty got Ganymede right because he'd been playing with astronomy and knew that Ganymede was the place that had the magnetosphere and kind of knew what magnetosphere were and did so we had that level of kind of introductory knowledge, and that level of introductory knowledge has a bunch of cool stuff in it, So we stole all the cool stuff, and I think that also kind of work toward benefit in plausibility.
Speaker 2: I mean, we do sort of ignore the fact that anybody living on Ketymiede would be massively irradiated by Jupiter's enormous radiation belt. Yep, you know. So, I mean there's plenty of stuff you just sort of ignore. And in your book on Mars, you know, there's a ton of reasons why you wouldn't want to live on Mars, but it's cool if people live on Mars. So in the book, people live on Mars, even though there's like no reason to go there and it would be a.
Speaker 3: Terrible I'm going to push back a little though, because you know, Ty was like, oh, we only followed these two rules. But I think it wasn't just that you got all the physics right, is that you also thought through people so well and governing so well, and how the environment would impact the way that people interact with each other and how they can be governed and stuff like that, And so it wasn't just the physics. It was you thought through all the different science fields, the biology, the psychology, the sociology.
Speaker 4: A lot of that's just you know, Ty had read a lot of history, and a lot of the issues that you see in the Expanse are things that are science fiction reskinnings of how humans have been working since we stopped being monkeys. We're a very consistent species. The stupid shit we do we have been doing forever, and we just projected that into the future.
Speaker 2: Yeah. No, I mean that people ask like, what is the theme of the expanse, And you know, the serious one is that tribalism is bad, But the joking one is people do the same stupid shit over and over and over and have done for the last two hundred and fifty thousand years that we've been in this shape, So.
Speaker 1: You guys pick these two bits of physics to be sort of strict about, and that really changed, like the experience of the characters on the ship and what it's like to live in low g and Hygi and the societies that form there. But why did you decide, unlike many science fiction writers to be hardcore about this is it? Because you felt like these it changes the stories, and those stories hadn't been told yet.
Speaker 4: Because we had an alien weird that comes through pathway through book one, and if you don't have things grounded before that comes in, then it comes in without any impact. The fact that we had something miraculous and strange happen halfway through the book meant up until then you couldn't. It's a necessity of the narrative that we approach it that way.
Speaker 2: The best example of that, I think in modern fiction is Game of Thrones, Georgia R. Martin's first novel. Because it's a fantasy book, but it's not like every other fantasy book. There are no wizards, nobody's casting spells, there's no elves or trolls. It's just people and he seduces you into believing you are reading a medieval history. It's kings and it's princes, and it's fighting families, and everybody just uses medieval weapons and they live in castles and they ride horses, and by about the midway point of the book, you could be reading a history of medieval England, and I mean, it would feel exactly the same. And then just about the end, Danny Targerion walks into a fire holding three rocks, and when the fire goes away, she comes out and she's holding three baby dragons, and it feels amazing. It feels like this miraculous moment. But the only reason it feels like that is because everything up till then has felt like medieval England, and so it feels super weird. If you're writing a story in which you know half the people are wizards and they cast fireball spells and the people fly around on flying carpets and three dragons show up at the end, it just feels like a of course, that's what happens. That's that's just like everything else that happens in the world. To have that dragon moment matter, it has to be weird compared to everything else, and so for us to have the arrival of this weird alien technology feel strange, nothing should feel strange up until that point, so that that actually matters, because if everybody's zipping around with supporters and teleporters and magic technologies, then another magic technology doesn't feel strange, So.
Speaker 3: Then why does Lost fail so badly? So like that, I feel like that's another This is a series. I've only watched the TV show. I don't even know if it's a book, but like it's meant to be real until the magic comes in. But instead of you feeling like you bought it and now you're in this awesome, magical world, it's just like, no, this isn't right. So it seems like it's a hard thing to pull off.
Speaker 2: And I'm not a fan of Loss, but I don't want to just sit and bash on Loss. But but the reality is it was not a well thought out universe. It wasn't They wrote an amazing pilot and jj Abrams is a fantastic director, shot an amazing pilot, and they kind of had an idea what the first season was about, and they kind of had an idea what the show is about. But when it got picked up, they had to write a bunch of scripts. They had put a first season together. They were coming up with mysteries to keep people interested, and then they got a second season and they had no idea what that was going to be. So now they're just making stuff up, and so you're just at that point, they're just sort of throwing things at the wall to see what sticks. And because there's no consistency to it, it doesn't feel I mean, once in our books, when the protomolecule shows up, which is the weird alien technology, it always kind of behaves the same way all the way through, and so each thing it does, you go, yeah, that's what it would do. That's you know, it feels very consistent. In The Lost It's like there's polar bears, and then there's a black smoke monster, and then there's this other thing, and then there's the Hatch. But the hatch doesn't do what we thought it did. And this need to relentlessly create mystery but never solve any of them. It's like juggling a thousand balls, but all you do is throw all a thousand up in the air at one time. You don't catch any Absolutely.
Speaker 1: I feel like the contract between the science fiction writer and the reader, is I'm going to present to you a mystery for which there is a solution that eventually this can all make sense in your mind. If you get to the end of the book and you're like, oh, you were just throwing dragons out every other page and you have no idea what's going on, then I feel betrayed. So that leads me to ask you, guys about your process. How much of the whole series and the whole concept had you mapped out before you started writing, you know, word one of chapter one, did you outline the entire thing?
Speaker 4: We didn't know that we were going to have a whole series when we wrote the first book. I mean we with the first book, we had I think a pretty rigorous outline of what the first book would be, and you know, we knew what the end of that book was going to be. We knew what the uh, the last scene of that book was going to be before we went into the at the front. And then for the whole series, actually that got mapped out during the writing of book two, when it became clear that the publisher was interested in doing a bunch more of these and at that point we kind of broad stroke the whole series to the point that we did know. You know, Tie pitched the last scene of the last book, the lasting of book nine, while we were about halfway through book two, and that didn't change. So a lot of a lot of the pathway along the way was not cooked yet, was not identified, but where we were going we knew early.
Speaker 3: Did you have any moments where you were like, oh, crap, how do we get there? Like we've we've we've built and maybe now it's not a clear path back anymore, or just knowing where you're ending up keeps you from having moments like that.
Speaker 2: That really, I mean, you you you talk through how you're going to get there. But I don't think we ever painted ourselves in a corner, which can happen in fiction writing. You can you can create plot points that as you get to the end of the book, you realize, oh, I've screwed myself. The plot points that I have created do not allow me to have the ending that I wanted. I mean, I know people who do that. But because we always kind of firmly had an endpoint in mind, and we and we, you know, the two of us plot pretty rigorously and talk through everything ever really wound up getting lost in the weeds. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean it's kind of like, you know, the metaphor we keep using is a road trip. You know you're going from New York to Los Angeles, you know where you're going to end up, you know where you're starting from. You don't know exactly what restaurant you're going to stop at, where you're going to get gas, what little side detours you're going to do, but you know, generally speaking, you should probably head west.
Speaker 1: And what's your process? Scientifically? It sounds like you guys do a lot of reading. You're smart guys. Do you also talk to scientists, you have consultants? Do you do all your own reading and research?
Speaker 2: We had two people. No, there were three times in the writing of nine books that we asked for outside expertise. Daniel had somebody help him figure.
Speaker 4: Out a complex physics problem.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, an acceleration issue with a ship doing something strange and what that was the experience of being inside the ship would you like? And then I had to I had a guy who you're talking about, you were from Los Alamos. Had a guy from Los Alamos. I asked him the question if the entire asteroid Aros went up by two degrees? How much energy would that he and he figured that out and he gave me the answer in jewels and hand grenades. Apparently hand grenade is a unit of measure in physics. And then the other one, weirdly that you asked that is Kelly's husband. Zach helped me with something I had to question, a math question, which was, if you have a sphere a million kilometers across, and on the inner face of this sphere you have rings that are ten thousand kilometers across, and you have eleven hundred and seventy three of those rings, how far apart are they from each other? Zach is smart, and Zach that was funny because you know, I mean, Zach and I were friendly, but we weren't like good. I mean, we had never stated each other's house at that point. It was just, you know, we were sort of friendly. We had met a couple of times, and we'd emailed back and forth periodically, and so I sent him this question and his reply after like a day, I thought he was kind of ignoring the email, but a day later he just wrote back and said, this is not a trivial problem.
Speaker 1: Why did you say this to Zach? He's definitely a smart guy.
Speaker 2: But why because we had talked about some math stuff and I knew he was really into math and figuring out math problems was a thing that he was into.
Speaker 3: And so I don't remember. Did he get you an answer? Yeah, nice way to go.
Speaker 4: We didn't check it. I mean, it might have been wrong. We have no idea.
Speaker 1: Pranking you absolutely, yeah, could be. What was the acceleration problem you were wrestling with?
Speaker 4: If you are in a ship that is accelerating at two g's and you have an unbalanced firing of a maneuvering thruster at the nose that puts it into a spin, what does it feel like on the inside if you are if you're on that ship it is spinning while also accelerating at uh two g's. Are you thrown against a wall? Are you what? What's? What does it feel like? What is what is the lived experience of being in that system?
Speaker 1: Sounds like a great problem to put on my physics final.
Speaker 4: There there was a wide variety of opinion.
Speaker 1: It sounds similar to the scenario of like a fighter pilot doing a loop de loop where they feel very different forces at the top of the loop and the bottom of the loop, because at one point in the loop, gravity is adding to their effective acceleration and the other part of the loop it's.
Speaker 4: Contrasting, except the you don't actually have that underlying gravity to confuse things because you're not on a planet.
Speaker 2: No, but that gravity is being replaced by the thrust of this hip.
Speaker 4: No that, yes, the gravity exists, but there's not like that the thing to make one part of the loop feel different from the other part of the loop. Yeah, there's no directional nothing from a planet.
Speaker 1: Well, I love the realism of your spece scenes because it gets me thinking about the physics and actually reminds me of another book. I don't know if you've read Alistair Reynolds's book, Revenger. He has all these scenes that feel sort of like British naval battles because he's thinking about the kinetics and his ships actually have like huge sales. And I asked him the same question I asked you, which is like, why did you go so hardcore about the physics? His answer was totally different. His answer was like, I actually wanted to write a British naval battle, but my agent said it had to be science fiction, so put it in this space.
Speaker 4: We all get there through different paths.
Speaker 3: What was the hardest part of writing and what was the hardest part of writing together.
Speaker 4: The hardest part.
Speaker 2: Of writing, I think hardest part of writing is writing, Yeah, parking your ass in a chair and typing.
Speaker 4: The hardest part of writing together. I mean, I think this is this is an an emotionally unsatisfying answer to your questions because it's all about logistics. It's all about, you know, finding the time. You know, the hardest part of writing is sitting your ass in the chair and actually writing. The hardest part of writing together is working out your schedules so that you're in the same place to have the conversation at the same time when you both have full lives with distractions and event it's it would be great if you know. The hardest part was, you know, the having to fine tune your brains in such a way that you can think as one. That's not how it worked. It was much more.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 4: The process is much more like running a small landscape and company than it is like something high sci fi and brilliant.
Speaker 1: I think Shakespeare famously said that also, didn't you know it was marked. It's always marked twenty marked Twain.
Speaker 2: Now, I mean, I think that the probably the only frustration that we have is that I am very, very very lazy, and I really want to procrastinate everything, and Daniel actually wants to get things done, so periodically he has to go, hey, so you're gonna get that thing done that you said you were going to get done, Maybe we should get something done. So you know, that's I am the burden that Daniel's forced to carry.
Speaker 3: But you all picked up a new set of books together, right, so like you couldn't have been that bad of a burden. What is the new series you're working on?
Speaker 4: We also very much enjoy getting paid.
Speaker 3: Some burdens are worth carrying.
Speaker 4: And I'm just saying now the new series is it's a very different part of this kind of space opera spectrum. And it was Ty had this. You know, Ty had the idea for the Expanse. He did all the world building for the Expanse, he did all of the kind of groundwork setting that up, and then he had this other idea that he thought might also be a cool idea for space opera. So now we're doing that one and it's pretty fun, it's pretty good stuff. It's not the same relationship to history that the expans had. The Expanse, you could really see where it grew out of our world and how we might plausibly have gotten there. This is more like Dune or left handed Darkness or something that's just like gazillions of years out and light years away, and it lets you approach some very different things.
Speaker 2: But because I'm me, the relationship as to history as it's all based on ancient Babel.
Speaker 3: Yeah, why did you pick that time period.
Speaker 2: I'm a big fan of pre classical history. And when I was a kid, my parents drug me to church a lot. My parents are very religious, and I am the least religious person on the planet, so when I was there, you know, the only thing you were allowed to have is a Bible. And most of that book is very I don't know if you've read it, but most of it is very boring, very dry. But there's a few books that have some interesting stuff, and one of those is the Book of Daniel, which has like empires conquering and people being drug off as slaves to serve in the palace of kings, and I always found that story interesting. Of like, what if you're just this little agrarian society and the much more technologically advanced Babylonians show up and go, oh, you guys all belong to us now, and we're going to take a bunch of you slaves back to Babylon, and some of those slaves will wind up working for the king in port of the king as bureaucrats. That just seemed interesting to me, So I wanted to write the sci fi version.
Speaker 4: And so now we're in the midst of having this human in a very alien framework of very alien society and figuring, you know, trying to understand and his own context and keep himself human while on the one hand serving, on the other hand, undermining the great nation that has destroyed him and his friends.
Speaker 1: I love that you guys go into history to find these stories, and they say, effectively extrapolate them forward and think about, you know, the economics of a solar system wide society and this kind of stuff. But does doing that change your opinion about it? You know, like, after running the expanse, are you more or less bullish on asteroid mining or colonies on Ganymede? Are you less likely to invest in a startup that's actually going to do this kind of stuff.
Speaker 2: There's no economic reason to go out into space. There's just there isn't any I mean, there's other reasons to go there. There's a you know, exploration, learning more about the universe and our place in. All of those are very good reasons to explore space, and I'm glad that we have a space program where we do that stuff. But there is no reason for people to live on any of those other bodies other than the all your eggs and one basket argument, which is a valid argument of you know what, if an esteroid hits Erith, then there's no humans left. I would say though, that if your answer to that is we'll build a city on Mars and there'll be humans on Mars shortly after the esteru redistriy is Earth, all the humans on Mars are just gonna die. So so it's yeah, you have eggs in another basket, but those eggs are going to expire very quickly. So unless we get much much much more advanced at like turning unlivable hunks of rock into livable hunks of rock, which we are nowhere near right now, there's just no reason to do that at that point you might as well just be building really really advanced space stations and putting people in those, because you're much more likely to survive in one of those.
Speaker 4: A generationship in orbit would be a better basket.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a better answer than Mars.
Speaker 4: And I think generally, the experience of having fictionalized these things and talked about them in ways that are compelling and plausible, but not actually ground that in anything has I feel I could help me understand. Like Elon Musk, I think, you know, he's got a lot of great stories on how things are going to work, and I recognize that they're not grounded in anything. And and there's a there's a level of bullshit detection. I think that comes with having spun up a bunch of your own bullshit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think anybody has spent any time really thinking about what it would take to colonize Mars Caesar right through Elon Musk. I can't see you and Zach signing up for the first rocket to Mars.
Speaker 3: Kelly, No, No, But I also can't see us signing up for the like one thousandth rocket to Mars. We're just not very adventurous people.
Speaker 2: Hey, when Mars has like strip malls and movie theaters and all of that, then yeah, sure I'll got there for a vacation.
Speaker 4: I will not. I barely want to go to New York. Yeah, it's a it's a very long commute.
Speaker 2: Daniel is a medieval peasant in that he will be born, live his entire life, and die with than of one mile radius and be happy.
Speaker 4: It's not I'm sure I'm a mile and a half.
Speaker 3: Well, I wouldn't want to leave my bugs, So I get it.
Speaker 1: So you make a compelling argument that there's no economic reason. But what's your prediction for the future. Do you think a thousand years from now, five thousand years from now, humanity has colonized the Solar system, or we're all effectively Daniel and still just living in our own backyard.
Speaker 2: I think it's very optimistic that we're all still around in one thousand or five thousand years. But if we are the one thing and Daniel, I'm sure we'll have his own answer for this. But from my perspective, the one thing that science fiction does really, really badly is predict the future. That's true, we're good at inspiring, but we're terrible at predicting, and I think anybody who thinks they know what the world's going to look like a thousand years from now is laughably wrong and probably a little to do.
Speaker 3: You think fiction is usually trying to predict the future, though.
Speaker 2: Yeah, some people actually call themselves futurists who are science fiction writers, and they believe that what they are doing, or what they are attempting to do, is accurately predict these changes in the near future. You can do some stuff some even then, look how wrong cyberpunk was. You know, we were all reading William Gibson and going, oh, this is an amazing accurate prediction of the future, and then twenty years later it's laughably silly. And that is often the case with sci fi, where we try to predict what the future is going to look like and then and just silly.
Speaker 4: The actual world has a much more kind of florid imagination than any one of us.
Speaker 1: But individually, well, that brings me to a question I wanted to ask about how you build your universe. You guys are really careful about the gravity and you know, the kinetic energy and what it's like to fight these battles, But something that would really change those battles are things like you know, AI controlled drones. We don't have you know, delicate meat sacks in every ship in these battles, but you don't see a lot of that in your universe. Was that a conscious choice because it would really change the story or was there some of the reason for not including that.
Speaker 4: We like writing stories about humans because humans are going to be reading and buying them. So yeah, No, One of the choices that we made early on was not to include the kind of automated space stuff because once you include that, there is literally no reason to have any people out there.
Speaker 2: And we do and we do have smart drones for fighting words, they're called torpedoes because there's no reason to build an automated little spaceship and mounted gun on it. Just put a big bomb on the end of it and run into the other guy, and then you just have a torpedo. The idea that there will be like little fighter planes driven by robots shooting at the other ships, why just have it fly into the other ship, explode really big, and then you win. And if you know, if it's if it's a little robot driving a cheap ship, why put a gun on it? Just have it blow up.
Speaker 4: The thing is we do have kind of unmentioned expert systems and AI. We do have that kind of you know, you flick on the light switch and the light comes on level of normalized technology. The only weird that we have is we also kept the meat sex.
Speaker 3: So is it difficult when you start working on a TV version of your work which you know maybe one day will happen with me who knows, but like to go in from like you're completely in control of the narrative to now you're in a writer's room and it might go into direction that you hadn't anticipated. What is that experience?
Speaker 4: Like it's like having a partner that you're writing with, only there's more people. I mean, we were, in a sense kind of building a government lab to move into a writer's room because we were already in an artistic project where none of us totally owned it. Now we just included Narraine and Dan Noak and Georgia Lee and all of those other voices became other voices that were also contributing or in you know, for Narraine in charge. But that kind of divesting your ego from the the project had happened for us on day one that's great.
Speaker 3: I feel like when I work with professors, the more professors that are in the room, the less we get done. And it's great that I know. I'm sorry, but it's great that you all have managed to be so amazing. With so many people working on a project together, sometimes it makes it harder.
Speaker 2: The thing that is true of a TV show is that it has a showrunner and they have the final say. If you have a room full of professors and one of them is the boss and gets to tell all the other ones what to do after the conversation is over, that they make a decision, things will get done. It's when nobody's the bass and everybody thinks that their version should be the one that happens, that's when things done.
Speaker 4: And we got really lucky with our show runner. We've got a guy who was really smart, really invested in the project, and probably the best manager that I've worked for in any industry. So you know, go us.
Speaker 2: He only says that because he never worked for it was awesome.
Speaker 1: What's something that you see in the TV show that's visualized differently than how you imagined it as you were writing it, but that you know you're happy about. I don't want you to throw anybody under the bus. But what's something new that came into the visual element of.
Speaker 2: The show that you liked everything Daniel and I are not We are not prop designers, we are not costumers, we are not set builders. So you know our plan in writing books, and this was how Daniel basically educated me to do this is you describe enough that you get the reader to do all the heavy lifting. You get them to imagine the rest of it. You don't give them detail instructions. You just kind of say, give them a little hint and then they go imagine the rest. You can't do that in the TV show. You actually have to build things, and so you hire very smart people to do that. You hire prop designers, and you hire costumers, and you hire set builders and production designers and all those people. So everything they brought was something I hadn't thought of before, but in almost every case it was better than the version I would have done, because I'm not a professional at that. So there was every day there was a new thing I hadn't thought of, but I was like, oh, yeah, that's great, that's totally what I would have put in the book if I had thought of it.
Speaker 3: I had that experience as a reader too, you know, I read the books, I had everything in my head about how it should look, and then when I watched the TV show, you know, like so often you see it and you're like, oh, that's not really how I imagined it. I'm sort of disappointed. But almost every time I was like, Oh, that's even cooler than I had imagined it. That was awesome. Like it just the team was so so incredible.
Speaker 1: I love how they really centered the physics. I really felt. Of course, when you read the book you see that it's in there, but when you watch the show, you like con that there's you know, parabolic motion and they're really considering gravity and it really it feels almost like you're in a British naval battle, you know.
Speaker 3: I like how they really centered an alien being that could sort of mind control. That's that's what I thought was the cool thing. But I guess we come from different fields.
Speaker 1: Bring it back to parasites. Everybody sees a part of themselves in.
Speaker 2: It, right, what. Daniel and I are big, big fans of parasites.
Speaker 3: So what's your favorite parasite toxin?
Speaker 4: Plasma GANDHII. Yeah, yeah, I'd go for the classics.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the best one for sure. I mean, I'm sure, I'm sure that the reason that I'm a very aggressive person is because I'm filled with cat poop.
Speaker 4: It's at this point, it's not cat poop. It's just a lot of little cysts in your brain.
Speaker 3: I'm actually working on so one of our next episodes, maybe the one after this one, is going to be about that parasite and mind control and how actually the evidence is really thin for a lot of this stuff, and it's like really hard to pull apart. Like is Tie infected because he's aggressive or did the parasite make him aggressive? You don't know. Maybe his aggressive behavior has caused him to encounter the parasite and there's like a correlation, Like.
Speaker 2: I was aggressively owning cats, yeah sure.
Speaker 3: Or you were aggressive about not washing your hands after changing the little box.
Speaker 4: If you're just too manly to wash your hands, that's that's how you get it, all right.
Speaker 2: No, I'm actually Daniel will attest to this. I'm actually freaked out by people who don't watch them.
Speaker 4: That's true.
Speaker 2: The hell's wrong with you? Wash your damn hands? I know.
Speaker 3: I am the kind of person who in a restroom. If somebody walks out without washing, I'll be like, oh gosh, this happens to everyone. Sometimes you forgot to wash your hands, and they'll be like.
Speaker 4: Turn around, turn around, turn around. Yeah, I'm a parasitologist, Go wash your hands.
Speaker 2: Now Do you ever do that? Do you ever say, like, look, I'm a parasitologist. Don't make me catalog all the things that are on your hands right now, you should wash those.
Speaker 3: I don't say about washing your hands because that's like more bacteria, which is not quite what I do. But I will say, like when we're, you know, eating sushi, I'll be like, I'm a parasitologist, don't make me catalog all the stuff that's in the raw food that you're eating. Is good to see you.
Speaker 2: You didn't know I was going to be talking to you.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Oh, I hope I get to see you against soon Jenney for Yeah, for the for the folks who aren't watching the.
Speaker 2: Video, I hope she gets to see you against Oh good.
Speaker 3: All right, Tie's amazing wife just came by who I talked about at the beginning of the show.
Speaker 2: That's doctor wife to you, Mabe, I'm sorry, put a little respect in that.
Speaker 3: Right from from Oxford, right, doctor from Oxford Cambridge.
Speaker 2: I'm wearing my Cambridge sweater ring out which I did not go to Cambridge, but my wife nice.
Speaker 3: That's close enough. It's all in the family. It's all good.
Speaker 2: So back to parisit, Yeah, I feel like I'm I don't have a PhD, but I am PhD adjacent, So yeah, I feel like I should get the same respect as if I doesn't work that way.
Speaker 4: All but dissertation and classwork.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, all but doing any of the world back.
Speaker 1: To parasites and the experience parasites in our actual world inspire the protomolecule behavior at all in your story, like the mind control aspects of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, Yeah.
Speaker 4: It's anytime you start dealing with stuff that's messing with consciousness and repurposing somebody else's body to their own ends, you're kind of in that in that playground.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the proto molecule does, it goes through sort of phases. In the early phase, it is very much a parasite. It is very much a In my sort of original creation of it, back before even Daniel showed up, it was sort of this weird mix of like ebola and what's the what's the mold that grows out of ants heads?
Speaker 4: Card recept Yeah, cordyceps.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, so it's it was sort of a mix of the two. I had written a short story many many years ago. One of the scenes takes place in a health camp where they're treating people who have a bola, And so I did a bunch of reading about a bola. And there's a phase of a bullet that they call the zombie phase, where it has basically melted your brain and you're still ambulatory. So you're sort of wandering around with a melted brain, but you can still walk, and your and your stomach you're vomiting up, your stomach lining because your internal organs are melting, and the stuff that you vomit up, the black bile that you vomit up, is the single most infectious substance on earth. If you get that shit on you, you have a bola. So that always fastened. The horror of that fascinated me. I'm a horror writer at hard And then the idea of if if there was something that infected you and took you through that zombie phase like a bulla does, but it had a purpose. It had it had to design, there was an in It was a goal that it was trying to get to in the way that cordyce Ep says with the ants, it infects them, makes them climb up the tree, makes them explode so that they infect other ants. Right, But it has a design, and it has a thing that is trying to achieve by taking over the end, so that combination of it's taking over humans, it's making them very infectious so that other humans get infected, and ultimately, when it has enough infected humans, it's trying to achieve something. I just found that sort of cool and horrifying at the same time. So that was really ultimately where it sort of came from.
Speaker 3: So you said this was from a short story.
Speaker 2: The research I did on a bola, Yeah, what's the name of the story? Scene? And I don't think that one ever got published.
Speaker 3: There's an opportunity there. But your stories about parasite should always be published.
Speaker 4: Have you read peeps, Scott Westerveld.
Speaker 1: I've eaten peeps. I don't think that counts them.
Speaker 4: Scott Westervelt, who is a lovely writer, I've never met him as a human being. I can't speak to that, but he knows his way around a book. Wrote a teenage romance vampire book that is also introductory parasitology. What it is called peeps peeps eat, yeah, peaks just like just like the thing stands. Actually, I think in the book for parasite positive.
Speaker 3: All right, awesome, I can't wait to check that out.
Speaker 4: It's like if Twilight was being secretly used to teach people science, if only seriously great, it's a great little book. I read it to my kid when she was of the age, and it stuck.
Speaker 3: Peeps are Twilight?
Speaker 4: Peeps peeps? Twilight was not a thing for us.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, my kids aren't old enough for that yet.
Speaker 4: I'm not sure I am all right, So I'll.
Speaker 3: Give you this idea, and you know, do you just cut me in a little bit when you write the book about it. Parasites that manipulate host behavior. Very underrepresented in the literature are the trophically transmitted parasites sort of like Taxoplasma gandhiy. But like this fish that I study that has the brain infecting parasites like I found a bunch of like viruses where it it's transmitted from one person another where you bite each other, but not a lot of these trophically transmitted things. And I you know, there's a real opportunity there. There's some of the best zombie makers out there.
Speaker 2: I don't know what trophic transfer, oh I should have.
Speaker 3: Yes, sorry, that's good. So trophically transmitted means it goes from like when one when a predator eats something else. So for example, when those rodents that are attracted to the smell of cat urine. I'm a science communicator, but I'm awful at identifying my own ecology jargon. But so like when a mouse is attracted to the smell of cat urine and the cat eats it and then gets infected, that's trophic transmission. And I studied a fish with a brain infecting parasite, and when a bird eats the fish, that's how it gets transmitted up the trophic levels.
Speaker 4: And this is when you stopped eating sushi. This is I'm guessing.
Speaker 3: That was when I stopped eating sushi. That or when I had this job where over the summer I had to jump into dump trucks full of dead fish. That put me off of fish. All I can see that it was my worst job.
Speaker 4: That seems legit.
Speaker 1: Can I ask one more physics question since we've been talking about cat piss and rats for a minute, Boop, I was really interested in this Epstein drive. I love that you guys invented a scientist who came up with this new drive. How much did you think through the physics of the Epstein drive, this fusion powered drive that moves so many of your ships through the Solar System.
Speaker 2: It is based on a paper I read many years ago about a way to maximize I mean, because you can't get around the Irocket equation. You have to throw something out the back of the ship. You have to, and that is the problem. And I had read a paper many I might have been an Omni or similar magazine way back in the day, of a way to take the exhaust and throw it almost at light speed, like throw it so hard at the back of the ship that even tiny amounts of matter are imparting a lot of thrust. And I just sort of stole that idea. Physically, it doesn't actually work. It doesn't make any sense. Your ship would just melt from the heat. If you're generating that much energy and a fusion reactor in the middle of your ship. You have to have a way to get rid of that heat, and you know, we just sort of go the heat is fixed. There's a heat solution. They invented it. Thank god we invented the heat machine. But other than that, I mean, the physics behind throwing stuff out the back of the ship really really hard.
Speaker 4: Those make sense, and we're not ever gonna like say what paper that was, so that when it was discredited, we're not we're not taking we're not taking down with it.
Speaker 2: But plus I probably misunderstood everything the guy's side, so it would probably be our heat or she would probably be very offended that I had used their paper to create my terrible fictional ship engine.
Speaker 1: Well before I was a particle physicist, I was actually a budding on plasma physicist, and I worked in a plasma physics group in your backyard, Daniel, in Los Alamos. And there's a guy there, Glenn Worden, who's a plasma physicist who's been writing a series of papers about how plasma powered engines are the only way we could ever like intercept an asteroid or get around the Solar System. So I think you guys were ahead of your time. The science is now catching up to you.
Speaker 4: Well, this is this is one of those things where when you're vague enough, you get to take credit for everything.
Speaker 3: All right, writing advice. On that note, we're going to wrap things up. You told us a little bit about the history behind your new book, but I don't think you ever said the name of your new book.
Speaker 4: The new book is The Mercy of Gods. It's the first in a trilogy called The Captive's War.
Speaker 3: And are they going to come out one year at a time or something like that.
Speaker 4: If I can get tied to sit in the goddamn chair.
Speaker 3: Yes, podcasts, well, we hope you're successful with that, Daniel, and good luck to both of you, and thank you so much for being on the show. I had a lot of fun. Daniel and Kelly's Extraordinary Universe is produced by iHeartRadio. We would love to hear from you, We really would.
Speaker 1: We want to know what questions you have about this extraordinary We.
Speaker 3: Want to know your thoughts on recent shows, suggestions for future shows. If you contact us, we will get back to you.
Speaker 1: We really mean it. We answer every message. Email us at questions at Danielankelly dot.
Speaker 3: Org, or you can find us on social media. We have accounts on X, Instagram, Blue Sky and on all of those platforms. You can find us at D and K Universe.
Speaker 1: Don't be shy, write to us,