Speaker 1: I am all in. Let's do more.
Speaker 2: I am all in with Scott Patterson an iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 1: Hey everybody, Scott Patterson, I am all in podcast, one of them productions. iHeartRadio, I heart media, I heart podcasts. Let me catch my breath, he everybody. I'm gonna be a Columbus Galaxy con in Columbus, Ohio, December second and third, twenty twenty three. So everybody, come on out. Let's do a Saul thing, Let's do a Gilmore thing, and just celebrate. So that's that's December two and three, Columbus, Ohio, Columbus Galaxy con. Hope to see everybody out there. The Prodigal Daughter returns.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes she six.
Speaker 1: Episode nine and return she did. And we have our trepred crew Susanne French, the newly minted Queen of the airwaves, is here. The valuable player Amy Sugarman.
Speaker 2: Not if you read the comments, but that's okay, that's okay.
Speaker 1: Then of the ball she's a manager of the ball club. She's she's got a permanent she's a permanent fixture. And yours truly, uh and what did everybody? Oh wait a minute, hang on, do we have comments? Yes, we have one note. I'm going to reappearing December second and third in Columbus, Ohio at Columbus Galaxy Con. So come on down. Just got back from Michigan MotorCity Comic Con, and what a blast. Love Michigan, Love you people, love that con. Fantastic Michigan.
Speaker 3: That's pretty cool.
Speaker 1: Lots of trees, lots of lakes, loving it. Love it Columbus, and I'm returning to Columbus. I in Columbus from eighty two to eighty six, playing for the Columbus Clippers. I was stuck in TRIPLEA for better parts.
Speaker 3: Of Columbus is cool like Ohio's cool.
Speaker 1: They say. They say Columbus is extraordinarily different from when I was there forty years ago.
Speaker 3: Really, I wonder if that means.
Speaker 1: It's really built up now.
Speaker 3: Oh better, so bigger and better.
Speaker 1: It's bigger and better than ever. And I can't wait to see it and reconnect with some old folks that I used to know.
Speaker 3: Anyway, what do you think of this episode?
Speaker 1: I think we better synopsize first. Okay, okay, so I need to gather my thoughts.
Speaker 3: I get it, I may disagree with all of you.
Speaker 1: We're hoping you do.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 4: This episode is season six, episode nine, The Prodigal Daughter Returns. It aired on November fifteenth, two thousand and five. A surprise phone call from Christopher brings up issues of trust between Lourai and Luke. Rory moves out of the Gilmours, and Emily feels like she's lost her like she lost Laurai. A person from Luke's past shows up and stars hollow, and after months of estrangement, Lorlai and Rory make their first move toward reconciliation, and Rory takes major steps to change the direction of her life.
Speaker 1: The one thing that I will comment on and thank you Suzanne. That was spectacular.
Speaker 2: It really was.
Speaker 3: It really was.
Speaker 1: I called Tara, Tara, you no La, I'm confused on my own podcast. The one comment I will make about this episode, and I don't want anybody to judge. I'm not judging the episode yet. I just want to make a comment if if you don't buy into the where the story has gone, it's hard. The impact is lessened when the lines get tied up or tied together, or come to fruition and conclusion.
Speaker 2: Will you be a little more specific on that or do you not want to? Is that moving forward?
Speaker 1: I saw. I thought it was as good an episode as you can get.
Speaker 3: I agree, I totally agree, given.
Speaker 1: The circumstances that I didn't buy into all of the narratives leading up to this.
Speaker 3: Okay, interesting, Okay, got it, got okay?
Speaker 1: You understand?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you're saying, like the narrative of maybe Rory dropping out.
Speaker 3: Of school or.
Speaker 2: Or Luke and Lorlai having conflict or whatever it is, if you if you buy into that, then this becomes a home run, right.
Speaker 5: Why?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Why?
Speaker 1: And I thought it was extraordinarily well written and directed. I agree, absolutely, and it was, and it was beautifully acted on everybody's part. And when there was the guy at the newspaper that Rory was stalking, who was terrific, by the way, whoever that guy.
Speaker 2: Was, Oh my god, we're trying to get him on. He's great, he was terrific, famous, he's like, does tons of work, he.
Speaker 1: Does tons of work. I did recognize him. I apologize for not knowing his name. No, no, no, no, but I thought that this is when I was missing Mitch. This is what I was missing Logan. So mitcham should be stepping in and doing this tidying up with Rory so so he's such.
Speaker 3: An ass he won't do it. He needed this other guy. We needed the guy behind the guy.
Speaker 1: Anyway, That's kind of how I felt about it, and I felt very It felt very again, I don't. I enjoyed the episode and I was riveted to it. I really really.
Speaker 3: Loved cried multiple times you did.
Speaker 2: Cried full tears, plain scene, full tears, reunited Lower Lion Rory, full tears.
Speaker 3: And I didn't.
Speaker 1: The reuniting thing didn't hit me because.
Speaker 3: It seemed too too easy to drop.
Speaker 1: Too easy. Yeah she was, she was distracted while driving talking on her cell phone, and I didn't.
Speaker 2: It made me you're not wrong, But I still cried, and then I cried for you.
Speaker 3: I cried that I thought you.
Speaker 2: Did so well portraying what someone would go through realizing this was happening, and still trying to be like normal with a child. I thought the scene at the science fair, the way you acted that was so well done because I was like, oh god, I'm like feeling anxious for you, right.
Speaker 1: My favorite season was when she came in and introduced her sort of pulled the hair out of my head.
Speaker 3: Giant helmet, but the helmet.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I've been waiting to say this because this may be an unpopular opinion, and I've been waiting for you to see this episode.
Speaker 3: I don't hate April. You know, there's like me too. People people do not like her, and I was gonna say the same thing. I actually love her.
Speaker 2: I did too, I always did them and now the rewatch I do just as much.
Speaker 4: Like April's not the problem. It's Luke's reaction to April movie. You know what we haven't seen, like not not what we saw in the current moving forward?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yes, yes, Well should we just go to the beginning or is it? Yeah, so we'll go through it because there's so many major scenes. The plane scene was so heart wrenching, like.
Speaker 3: It gutted me.
Speaker 2: But we'll get to the big stuff at the end. So we start with the door chained, which I did laugh out loud.
Speaker 3: Maybe only Scott and I got it. Well. Actually, Susan Land Shark.
Speaker 1: He's like Candy Gram. He did a Saturday Night You have to get that.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I don't get it.
Speaker 1: It was a famous character Saturday a shark thing. It would knock on people's doors and then it was like a giant mascot sharks, totally goofy looking and harmless looking, and then it would eat people if they answered the door, and he would like, knock on the door, who's there? Oh my god.
Speaker 2: The house looked beautiful. Luke had made the house look amazing. I are going didn't know if it was real fire some kind of fake TV fire, but I was super into it.
Speaker 1: I think that was a real deal.
Speaker 3: Seemed like it.
Speaker 2: The photos are on the banister, the fall pumpkins are out, like, the house looks amazing.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: I don't think we've had that many scenes of people walking down the hallway upstairs, so that was sort.
Speaker 3: Of new and exciting.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 2: And I never realized she has double doors in her bedrooms. I'm assuming that was part of the remodel. I don't know it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, she didn't before in the like the earlier seasons, it was just the single doorway, So that must have been part of the whole remodel. We do in the bathroom like the on suite bathroom and exactly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what do y'all think of the bedroom set?
Speaker 1: Oh that was hysterical. That was so gnarly bad. It was so bad the cherubs when she said, yes, look at the cherubs. Yes, there's many of them.
Speaker 4: My grandmother had like that, and it is still in my mother's.
Speaker 3: House to this, Oh my gosh.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's in the guest room. It's and so when when we stay there, I have to sleep in it, and it's it's an experience.
Speaker 2: I'm not mad at I love Grandma Chic. I'm all for it. But that was some heavy I think he could have maybe figured out the bed, but it was the sailboat.
Speaker 1: Painting, all of it, all of it.
Speaker 3: Totally the wrong size, Like it was just that's a lot.
Speaker 1: Of carved dark wood that you got to wake up to. You wake up to that and you're like, it's the eighteen forties. What's happening here? And you wake up next to Abe Lincoln? Like what's going on?
Speaker 2: Not to be terrible, but the curtains are also awful, awful, like those should have gone with the remodel.
Speaker 1: Oh man, Like what's with Luke Danes and his his bedroom taste not great? You gotta give it a thumbs down. What's he thinking about? What's he thinking about?
Speaker 3: I think he just doesn't know any better.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's just like and also I think it's sort of glossed over, but I think it's important that he remembers going to the storage unit with her and her saying she liked it, so he remembers things always and he's trying to do something good. She shouldn't have lied at the storage room five years ago and said she liked it.
Speaker 3: She doesn't.
Speaker 1: Anyway, It's quite funny.
Speaker 2: So then we go to the scene Luke goes off to make his risotto and we go to the scene which I actually thought was quite funny with the muffin, the dramatic muffin like we eat in the dining room Rory and the two of them fighting is pretty interesting.
Speaker 1: It's nah, it was cringey. It's cringey to me.
Speaker 3: Really, I think it's time.
Speaker 1: It's the I disliked that part of this whole series the most, with Emily and Rory fighting just outright contempt for each other. I hate that.
Speaker 8: I get it.
Speaker 1: I don't want to see that.
Speaker 2: I get it, but it's so important, it's so important.
Speaker 1: To somebody to help me out here. It's disturbing. It's disturbing, the disturbing images.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I don't I don't like it either. I just think, well, again, I agree with Amy. I think it has to do with the story. It's not like how i'd prefer them to be. But I didn't think it was cringey. I just think it was like I didn't want to see it, Like it just makes me bummed, That's what I wasspectful.
Speaker 3: I agree with you. I totally agree with you.
Speaker 8: Awful behavior, awful, But we needed it because of what comes up in the plane scene and the storyline, like we just we need it, like Amy said, even though I don't like it, we need it, right.
Speaker 3: But I agree with you, guys.
Speaker 1: So let's refer to my opening statement.
Speaker 2: That's right, Scott, really great point because all roads lead to essentially that plane scene. The plane scene is so major for the whole show in so many ways. I can't wait to talk about it. But Scott makes us going harder just kidding, so I, uh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I can only keep this stallion on the track for so long.
Speaker 3: I actually really liked the scene.
Speaker 2: Okay, So we then go into the kitchen at the inn, and I think I thought Melissa McCarthy was a ten out of ten in this episode. She's so funny and when she says why do you hate it?
Speaker 3: And Laura I.
Speaker 2: Sort of lists off all the reasons why she shouldn't hate it because she's right. Luke is so good to her, and I was really happy to see her point that out to others and herself.
Speaker 3: I don't know what you guys think.
Speaker 4: It was good to see that self awareness because as much as I love Laura I, she can be a little self centered. And I think seeing her actually acknowledge that was good because sometimes the women in this show don't have a lot of self awareness, and in that situation, it was nice to see her acknowledging.
Speaker 1: That, Yeah, she's a bit of a star in Stars Hollow, isn't She's She's like she's like the like the Queen Bee person. She's like the star, She's like the superstar of the town.
Speaker 3: She's like Suzanne. I get it. I totally.
Speaker 2: I know what it feels like to be Emily, trust me. I liked having that acknowledgment. I think that scene was important. So then this cracked me up. We see Richard come home and you kind of don't know what's happening. I sort of had forgotten about that little hidden desk behind the stairs and then when Colin and Finn come down, Oh my god, I actually laughed out loud when Kinn.
Speaker 3: Says, you're safe. Return Darling is all I need. I was like, I'm actually dead at these two. That black nails.
Speaker 9: He's so like, yeah, I actually had I'll just say my favorite line now because it was from the scene that's when Richard's like, who the hell are you and Finn goes if I knew I could dismiss my therapist.
Speaker 2: So I could watch it five times because it's really fast and there's so many funny lines and like Colin, you know, you know my father, Like it's just like it's that my tenis racket, like the whole thing.
Speaker 3: I was just like, this is awesome.
Speaker 8: It's funny because you're not supposed to like them, but you kind of love them, you know, I love them, So that was amusing.
Speaker 2: I do have one flag that we're not quite there yet, but so now we go back to the diner and.
Speaker 3: We sort of have the Laane Lorelei.
Speaker 2: Revelation, although the nacho thing, like why are you trying to have baked chips? But I guess she was trying to keep her healthy soil.
Speaker 4: The whole red needlell kill you line right, stealth dieticians, stealth nutrition.
Speaker 2: I love that she just like bellies up to the table for some nachos, like in the middle of the day, like it's ordering that anyway. So we sort of have the awkwardness between l Lane and Laurlai, which I don't know.
Speaker 3: I it didn't. It was fine for me, you guys.
Speaker 8: I thought it was I thought it was weird because like Lane grew up with Laura l I like, I don't know, I just I understand maybe not wanting to tell her to make her feel bad, but like avoiding her felt a little weird.
Speaker 10: I agree.
Speaker 8: Just don't tell her, Yeah, just just don't bring it up because Laurla doesn't have a clue, so it's.
Speaker 2: Landing planes here, which was also weird because it's like, hey, she's at the table, like you're acting like the restaurant doesn't exist other than you like hey, hey, it's like okay, what But also Laane, just say hey and just don't tell her.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it's not like she she has no clue, so it's not like she it would even like remotely come up unless she's like have you talked to Rory which doesn't happen that often.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was like Lane's awkwardness is what made Laura I ask her what's going on? Like if Lane had just played it cool, it wouldn't have even been a conversation.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like, you know, there's something else I wanted to point out I and some have happened I think at this point, and some haven't. Did you all notice the subliminal message of trust that is mentioned throughout this episode? There are references to trust already in this episode and we haven't even gotten to the big moment between Luke and Lorelai where it's like we can't hide things from each other and Scott may not know why it's coming, but Suzanne, Tara and I do, And it's like it was almost too over the time.
Speaker 1: I mean, I know why it's coming, I know why it's there, and I know what's coming. So yeah, it's.
Speaker 2: Like that seemed almost too I love foreshadowing more than anybody, but it seemed too much.
Speaker 1: It was a little extreme.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I get it a little.
Speaker 1: Much for me, But do you think you think that was added character for Luke to pop that much?
Speaker 8: I think extent he did, Yes, like being upset, Yes, but he just kind of like, like you said, he just popped off like I expected him to be upset, but it considering the last time he didn't say anything this to calm yourselves.
Speaker 3: Calm yourselves. We're not there yet. We're not there yet. Calm yourselves.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, you brought it up.
Speaker 3: I know, sorry, and then you smack us down before we get to that. We're almost there.
Speaker 2: We've got two more things I think before that, the bit, the recurring bit of Zach being irritated that Rory is using the paper towels or the sponge or the soap or the cereal, the cheese nips.
Speaker 1: Whatever, I kuld have skip so annoying.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was like it sort of made me giggle once, but then on the fifteenth time, I'm like, I don't care stop it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, that scene was beneath Rory.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 3: When she's like.
Speaker 1: That scene was beneath the show. That was one scene I would have remembered.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it seemed like, did you need three more minutes like chill?
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I I had have taken three minutes of Suki rolling around on the ugly bed.
Speaker 3: I know I would have.
Speaker 2: Actually, you're right, I would have taken more, Melissa, like you know. So we have one more scene till we get to my favorite scene of the episode. But now we see Rory with Stuart on the phone, so we've seen her on the phone getting the good wreck and that becomes important for what unfolds. So you know, they're having a nice communication and we realize he's sort of saying I don't know what Mitch's problem was, and she's sort of saying like, yeah, I am a good journalist, blah blah blah.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So I liked that, and I also thought it was very sweet that Lane made her a grilled cheese. I literally must have been hungry watching it because I was like, I love that grilled cheese, Like, don't forget your cheese.
Speaker 1: And that's something about food on TV. It's always, my god, always.
Speaker 2: Just still thinking about your risotto.
Speaker 3: We haven't even gotten to the burger debate. So we.
Speaker 2: Go to the scene and it's kind of a long scene because it has multiple parts with Jackson, Luke, Suki, and Laurli having dinner. So I'll just overview it and then we can dig into it. So it basically has a few things. One is it has Jackson and Luke having or sort of burger fight whatever, and then Suki and lower Lie seeing the hideous bed, the message from Christopher, the awkward Luke saying we don't fight in front of guests, the awkward dinner, all the way to the big explosion, and over to Luke's apartment.
Speaker 3: So let's just talk about it all.
Speaker 1: Okay, So let me try to justify Luke's reaction from the male perspective, the territorial male perspective, please do, and it's and it's as if you and I will uh, I think Obviously, Intellectually, he understands that Christopher is going to be in their lives to one extent or another because he's Rory's dad. There's there's just no question about it. Sure emotion, he's so all in at this point, and he's waiting for Lorelei to be ready to set a date for the wedding, right, and this is an underlying stress and tension for him and insecurity for him that he's already covering and being a good guy about. He's really a little probably worked up about it, but he's not gonna pop, right. It just took this to send him into a little bit of a rant, you know what I mean. It's like, now we have to deal with this guy, and now you're you're postponing the way he got excuse. Now there's going to be another excuse, and what the hell? What's going on?
Speaker 3: Well, and it was the cause of their breakup.
Speaker 1: Right, it's it's right, it's a it's a sensitive And another thing is is it's territorial because that's Luke's living there now. He paid for the reconstruction on the house. That's his domain, that's his castle. Now that he's should well, actually he's sharing it. You know. It's pretty much a fifty to fifty splitter, maybe even a seventy thirty or sixty forty split more more toward Laurel. It's really her house. But he's in there now, right, So it's the first time he's dug in. He feels like his dreams are coming true. He's going to have a great life and he doesn't want to deal with the complications from her past any longer. As they say, triggering, how dare Christopher and his Luke's mind is saying, how dare this guy leave a message for Laurel? I that he knows I can hear. Here's the questions. She doesn't know. He doesn't know that I'm.
Speaker 3: Moved in, right, No, he doesn't even know.
Speaker 1: Your Other reason, what's in Luke's mind's like, why haven't you told this guy that we're in the house together, that I moved in, And don't leave messages on the machine. If you want to talk to me, you know, I don't know, call my cell phone.
Speaker 3: Well, but you can't have it both ways.
Speaker 4: If he's going to get mad at her because he thinks that she's talking to him.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, not mad at her, He's not. He's mad at Yeah.
Speaker 3: No, I know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: He actually has heard because it's being delayed, the wedding's being delayed, and now that he's got to hear this guy's voice on the home machine, and now he feels like a sort of not a part really as big a part of her life anymore.
Speaker 2: In that moment, it showed, he showed he's got a little lack of trust. Still we're not at a one hundred percent yeah trust right, because he's like going on, like what's going on.
Speaker 3: And specifically with Christopher, Yeah, I think so.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was really bothered by at the at the moment of the Answering Machine message, he wouldn't even let Laurlai finish her sentence, like he just he heard a second of Christopher's voice and went immediately to you're back in contact with him? Why didn't you tell me? And she's saying I haven't even talked to him in a year. I wouldn't believe her.
Speaker 1: And I think the setup. I think the setup was wrong. I think it's a flaw in the scene. I think I think there needed to be a little better set up with the writing there, okay, because it seemed like he just sort of came in and heard and then it just got into this thing and I was like, oh, wait a minute, we skipped over a couple of steps here.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was a little aggressive for his character, even though like I get it now, I did giggle a little when we're not fighting yet and then he goes off. You know, I don't know that it warranted such a blow up for me. I think that it was the reason it blew up was because there was unfinished business that they hadn't discussed. Yeah, and then I think it's stressful for me that the unfinished business is they needed to acknowledge trust and that they need to tell each other everything and knowing what I know, that's very good.
Speaker 1: But he wants to get out of this sort of I don't know, it's, you know, this sort of neutral zone that he's in right where she's not even she didn't even want to set a date for the wedding. It's like, what's the problem.
Speaker 3: We know what the problem is.
Speaker 1: It's I know, because he doesn't think that it's a good enough excuse. Oh he doesn't. That's how he feels, and he and that's the trust issue. He feels like she's going to keep making excuses.
Speaker 3: It's going to be something that's fair.
Speaker 2: I never put myself in his position like that on it because for me, it totally makes sense, and it's why the ending of the episode is so awesome and RINGI at the same time, I just.
Speaker 1: Just think about how long he's been waiting, right, I get it. I mean it's been years and years and years and years and she still won't set a date. She still wants to not do it.
Speaker 3: Yet, Well, I get it.
Speaker 2: Right, I get why he's yeah, and he's being a very patient, loving fiance.
Speaker 1: So now he's having a time this at this moment, he's out of patience.
Speaker 8: The only reason why I think it's not fair though, is when Lorilia brings it up that Christopher will always be in her life whether they like it or not, and it kind of was foreshadowing in a sense what's coming of.
Speaker 7: He is the father of my daughter and.
Speaker 1: That's a very modern definition of father.
Speaker 4: At the same time an adult. So it's not like he's going to be in their life day in and day out.
Speaker 8: No, but he's not going away forever, like you know what, you know what I mean, whether they're whether they are close or not, at the end of the day, it's still her dad and it's still you know, that's that's it.
Speaker 2: So and also college isn't forty like you still? Yeah, like she yes, she's an adult, but like she's a kid, she's a kid.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: I think the thing that I love so many things to talk about here, but one of the things is that we have this total drama going on while we still have the funniest moments between Jackson and Suki of all time, like.
Speaker 3: When he says was it what does he say?
Speaker 2: Like he says something like was it that I brought up the burgers and she's like, yeah it, And she has two of.
Speaker 3: Those where I'm like, I'm dying.
Speaker 8: And their drama is always so just like whatever, you know what I mean, Like there's no drama between Suki and Jackson that's like groundbreaking.
Speaker 3: So it was.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I just she had a couple of those and I'm just like, oh my god, I'm dying.
Speaker 1: Drama doesn't compare to the other drama.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's happening down the hall.
Speaker 2: What do you think of Luke saying we will have this fight later. It's rude to fight in front of other people's aggressive manners.
Speaker 1: I think it shows good breeding.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean he's trying.
Speaker 1: He's just trying to assert himself as he's overcompensating because he feels a little castrated by the phone call and that Christopher feels like he can even leave a message on her machine. He feels like he's being cut out of that whole scene, you know, not scene, but out of her life a moment, in that moment, like there's a compartmentalization there in her life where where he just doesn't fit into that part. And and that's that's the reason for that tude. Is tued.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I actually was very happy that she goes over there right away and it gets resolved right away, and they're sort of better than ever. Although what I can't remember is with some of the over the top sort of we can't hide things. It's the only way it will work. I don't think it was so obvious to me when I watched it the first time as it is now. I actually have to say, I think the writing and the whole setup everything is brilliant.
Speaker 3: Like I think Season six is amazing.
Speaker 2: So I get we have maybe some flaws coming, but like so far, it's as good as any season we've had in my humble opinion.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know about that.
Speaker 7: I don't really agree, but I love the first half.
Speaker 4: And this is about the point where I start getting a little frustrated. I don't dislike it, but there it's frustrating. Yeah, I like, I'll still watch it, but it's not like I think. This season is not like episodes I'm going back to or like. Besides, the scene with Jess is not like a memorable, really big, big memorable moment for me, but I still enjoy it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 3: I have to see how we go along? Sorry Scott that.
Speaker 1: No, it's like I said, it's like the mac If you don't buy into the macro narratives, it's hard to enjoy it. You can still enjoy the episodes. They're still really well written. Yeah, but you know, tying all these loose ends together that you didn't sort of get on board within the first place and objected to back a season ago, and here they are, and it's like, Okay, you know, I didn't really go along with this in the first place. This doesn't have a great deal of impact on me right now. But I know it's well acted, and I know it's well written.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, and it's funny too. It's emotional. I cried.
Speaker 1: I laughed.
Speaker 2: I literally laughed a bunch during this episode and cried.
Speaker 1: I did not cry, Oh, I cried.
Speaker 11: I really.
Speaker 2: So before we get into April, let's just talk about we can talk.
Speaker 3: We can talk even though we're going a little out of order. Let's talk about Rory and the job. Just play that through that.
Speaker 1: Wait a minute, what's the next scene? We go?
Speaker 3: Story was the job?
Speaker 2: So That's why I'm saying, let's just talk through it right all in so, I like her persistence.
Speaker 3: I like her how she's organized.
Speaker 2: It's a little nuts, but I'm into it, and I am just happy.
Speaker 3: That I feel like she's back.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was a little conflicted on this scene because I was, like you said, I was happy to see that we had that glimpse of the old Rory, right that was, you know, the go getter, and she's gonna just go after what she wants and no one's gonna stop her.
Speaker 3: But at the same time, she was kind of.
Speaker 4: Annoying about Yeah, she's nuts. The squeaky baby voice was back, and she just was so frantic about it. If I was that that editor guy, I would be like, can we have security keep an eye on her because it's a little intense. So I don't know, but it was good to see that she's back on track and uh, you know, kind of pursuing her dreams again and not not you know, down in the dumps and Mitcham says, I can't do it, So I can't do it.
Speaker 3: I was glad to see that.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I kept thinking, is like, we didn't need all of this, Michig gosh, we just needed Rory to maybe maybe be a little stunned by the Mitcham comments and then just buck up. All I kept thinking was we could we missed so many episodes where she could have been.
Speaker 3: At Yale totally and all that.
Speaker 1: Great stuff with those Light and Death Brigade and and all of the logan and more. Mitcham.
Speaker 8: Yeah, So the one thing for me that I wish and again, I like, I like the way now we're transitioning back to normal, Rory. I wish there was like a scene or an episode between last week and this week that felt that was more of a buffer, because I feel like she it's like Jess's speech to her cure to everything, and I get it, but like I wish that there was something in between where now she's like, Okay, I think I'm read like you know what I mean, Like I.
Speaker 2: Just maybe it's just maybe it's just Jess, like maybe we just go you know what. Yeah, Jess, she was starting to head that direction, and then he pushed it over there.
Speaker 7: He really pushed it.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 7: No, I get it.
Speaker 1: No, I kind of I agree with you. I mean, if they're going to string us along like this, yeah, you know, just milk us dry before you turn.
Speaker 8: I think it's because the job and the reuniting happened in one episode when like the whole separation took like eight you know, you know what I mean, Like we went through eight episodes of that, which, by the way, I'm happy, like I do not like and Laura lyon Rory you're not talking. But it was like, give us at least not even an episode, give us like a little scene in between of like her planning, like this is what I want to do.
Speaker 2: Now interesting, Nope, don't need it?
Speaker 5: Get it?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: So okay, so now, so good, good, good. All she'd got the job, she deserves the job. She's quite skilled.
Speaker 3: April.
Speaker 2: So here's my one flag on this episode. When we get to the April scene. So we're in the diner and we obviously see the pink bike or the pink helmet pull up and the bike flops over and we see it through the window. The part that confused me is like, why was Luke making mistakes like that doesn't I don't get it. It's not like he didn't I don't get it. Why was he like forgetting her onions and why was the burger not done right?
Speaker 3: Like I didn't need it. He's busy.
Speaker 8: I think he was from the whole thing with Christopher. That's how I took it like he was just yeah, could be he was just not up to his Yeah he wasn't.
Speaker 7: Yeah he was distracted thinking about something else.
Speaker 2: That's how I kind of was just like, I don't I didn't need him making mistakes.
Speaker 1: But what and well maybe he was up all night, you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Right? You know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Okay, so you all, what do you all think of April when she comes on in with the craziest helmet of all?
Speaker 3: I just love that.
Speaker 7: She's just like, hey, can I get three pieces of your hair?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 7: It was just so casual.
Speaker 3: I think that's why I like her.
Speaker 8: It's just she doesn't even care, like who like she she's lived without a father.
Speaker 3: For so long.
Speaker 7: She's like, I'm just doing a school project.
Speaker 3: You know. Yeah, I thought it was I like her.
Speaker 4: She was honorable in her helmet. She's like, well, if you follow, you might break your teeth, and like.
Speaker 3: She just yet we get her character really quick. I was.
Speaker 2: I'm into that because I like her April. I obviously like Vanessa, but I like April.
Speaker 1: So name a better introduction to a character? Oh yeah, in this entire piece, I mean this, it was there's April in her helmet and it was hysterical and she's delightful totally. I think it's.
Speaker 2: Important to acknowledge the Moranos sisters for a second, because they are really talented, and like, I can't wait till we talked to Vanessa because I want to know what it's been like for her then having people react to the character the way they did, and now that's not an easy character to be and also so young, and both Laura and Vanessa Morano are like really really talented actress, actresses even as kids. Yeah, to me, she pulls off the character, Like I find it to be totally believable, the whole quirky of her, all of it, all the way through the Science Fair and just the way she is. It didn't seem like it comes very easily to her to play April.
Speaker 1: Whise whise beyond her years, you know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and that whole the whole dialogue that she had about the Science Fair, like that was a long stretch of dialogue and she nailed it, Like I obviously I don't know how many takes it took, but she was brilliant.
Speaker 2: I thought she was great, even down to the spaghetti bit, like she's obviously a genius, but she's also a kid, and you get everything you need to know.
Speaker 3: Also quick shout out.
Speaker 2: If you want to be impressed, go on TikTok and look at the maranos h Halloween costume from this year.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, it's so good. It's so Scott.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you've ever seen Princess Diaries, but in Princess Diaries, Anne what's her name? Anne, Hathaway and Hathaway, So she's like, not princessy, I don't want to say, she's kind of like a scrappy kid. And then they make her over into the Princess of Genovia or whatever it is.
Speaker 3: So the Morano sisters played both parts.
Speaker 2: One of them is like the scrappy before and then it turns and it's I couldn't even tell which Morano was witch, and then she's the princess and they look like twins.
Speaker 3: Almost Vanessa was before and Laura was after. Right, it couldn't even tell. I can't even tell, and I know them.
Speaker 8: I know.
Speaker 7: It was so good.
Speaker 2: So anyway, and I look, I also don't know if I have an affinity for the character now, because I do know the girls, so it's like I don't know.
Speaker 3: But anyway, I don't hate April at all.
Speaker 1: Ething. I think it was one of the best scenes I did in the whole six seasons so far, was with her.
Speaker 3: I totally agree. So let's just play it through, right, because.
Speaker 1: Somebody really gave Luke some dimension, and you know, finally there's there's a little more development than just a photo and a crew cut haircut, a high school photo and a couple of things about being under the bleachers. And it's my dad's diner. I mean, like, give me something.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's meat. It's like a lot of meat.
Speaker 2: So he's getting this like information and trying to process it while in the diner. And this little girl is there, I mean, she's a kid, she's like, what twelve?
Speaker 3: What does she say she is? She's twelve?
Speaker 2: Because he hasn't seen her mom in twelve years. Yeah, then we and then I love that he goes to the science fair and there's the science I mean, the whole science.
Speaker 3: Fair was so like legit and well done.
Speaker 2: And that's the scene where I'm like, oh, like the way you were breathing and the whole thing. I'm like oh my god, this is actually like what a guy like Luke would experience.
Speaker 3: And he's like, do I stay, Like, should we go get some ice cream?
Speaker 2: Like he and how he says I didn't know, and how important that was for him to say I didn't know, And she says, I know you didn't know.
Speaker 7: Yeah yeah, ah, so you could tell.
Speaker 8: He like also cared because she didn't win, and like she was just sitting by herself and like, you know, she's just like reading a book. I felt bad for her, and I think Luke did in that moment, Like he doesn't know this kid, but now he has an attachment he feels for her.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's like, I'm sorry you didn't win. I feel like it's my fault.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I don't know Scott what he Yeah, I agree.
Speaker 1: I mean when he's just nice seeing him developed. Yeah, you know, it's nice seeing him doing something else with somebody new and it's his daughter, and it's a nice piece of acting that you're asked to do because it's all you know, it's all emotional.
Speaker 8: And it's different from like, you know, I think he grew Rory grew up with Luke, but this is very different. Like Luke wasn't he was involved in Rory's life, but I don't think to the extent.
Speaker 1: We never see any of that.
Speaker 8: We never see any of that. And really he's just the guy in town who she grew up with, she loves. He's basically her family. But this is a little different.
Speaker 7: It's nice to see that.
Speaker 1: Yeah it is. Yeah, So I love those scenes.
Speaker 3: I love those I did too, and I get it.
Speaker 1: I was shocked and delighted by those scenes. I really was. I forgot them, and I was just like all this, Yeah, you were great. Well I think I think Vanessa and I are good together. You know, it really worked. The chemistry really works.
Speaker 12: Hey, it's Danielle Fischel, right or Strong and Wilfredo. But you know us best as Tapanga.
Speaker 10: Sean and Eric from Boy Meets World.
Speaker 12: And now Pod Meets World, the podcast where we've been sitting down weekly to rewatch the show we starred in as kids, and we've been unpacking well a lot.
Speaker 11: And we've been taking the show on the road with the Kids Want to Jump Tour where Every stop in cities across the US has been totally different and pretty hilarious, if I do say so myself.
Speaker 10: But we know not everyone could join us, so we're happy to announce that our recent thirtieth anniversary of the show, Live from the met in Philadelphia, will now be available to stream no matter where you live.
Speaker 12: Our biggest show yet in the hometown of the Matthews, featuring appearances by Trina, Angela McGee, Matthew Lawrence aka Jack Hunter, Tony Mister Turner Quinn, and Danny Harley McNulty, who makes a very special surprise visit.
Speaker 11: It was so much fun and now you can experience it from the comfort of your own home.
Speaker 10: It will be available on December eleventh at five pm Pacific. You can learn more about how you can watch at veeps Dot Events slash Pod meets.
Speaker 3: World December eleventh, your birthday.
Speaker 12: Let's boy get all the info on streaming the live Pod meets World show so you don't miss out. Go to Veeps, veeps Dot Events, slash Pod meets World.
Speaker 2: Now, let's now talk about Richard coming home and realizing you.
Speaker 1: Know what, let me let me say something. Sorry Aliah, sorry, but Dondy, how old Vanessa was that age when we filmed it? I think so, maybe a bit older.
Speaker 7: I don't amaze She and her and I are the same age.
Speaker 8: Okay, so so she is Vanessa's thirty one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're the same age. So that was a yeah she was twelve.
Speaker 1: Yeah okay, So imagine being twelve years old and coming onto that set as mature as that show was at that point. And see, you know, almost midway into season six, and she doesn't miss a beat and she stands there and she delivers the dialogue and she drives, helps drive that scene, and she's fantastic and she knows her job. Yeah, she knows what her job is at that tender age. That's the thing that amazed me so much. It's like I didn't work with another guest star that was as prepared from first take on. She was just nailing, nailing, nailing, nailing everything. It was amazing. So you trust an actor like that, you know, to come in and know what their job is and at twelve years old, very very impressed. I was so impressed with her me too.
Speaker 2: And isn't that a shout out to the casting person because I feel like whoever casts this show really knew what they were doing, because you get that, I mean, and you can go.
Speaker 1: Through it dared Milo like Melissa, but also also, mind you, everybody wanted to be on that show. So every agent in town one of their clients on that show, because I don't know if it reached Seinfeld proportions as a launching pad for people, but it kind of did.
Speaker 7: It did. There's a lot of people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if you if you got a nice guest spot on Gilmore, you had some nice tape for yourself that was going to be get that was going to get you more work.
Speaker 2: Don't you think it's kind of like if you can do Gilmore Girls, or if you can do West Wing at that time, you can really do a lot, like almost anything.
Speaker 1: Right, that's a real proving ground. Yeah, for sure, for sure, yes, yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, all right, So now let's go Oh sorry, Susanka, Oh no, I just was going to make a quick comment. In that role, you had to cast a child that could hold her own with adults because there's not any other children in the scenes with her, and so you can't cast someone who's too childlike because that's not going to fit the role. So to the comment about the casting, it was they did a great job.
Speaker 8: So I just realized, like there is no one close to her age, Like I just realized that, like she really is the only kid.
Speaker 2: No, yeah, only Dean's sister. From time to she didn't.
Speaker 7: Even have that many lines.
Speaker 3: Like, nothing like this.
Speaker 2: She had a few, you know, she had a few important things, but nothing like this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, So.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about Richard and a tough job walking into the diner with all that activity.
Speaker 2: That gear the bike has to fall over at the right moment. And so okay, So Richard and Emily and ultimately Lorlai. So Richard's like, where is Emily? Something isn't right, calls Laura Lia frantic. All of it I am liking. And Laura's getting the bits and pieces of like, okay, Rory's moved out, she's having job interviews, she's cia putting it together. I like that Laura called her mom and said, you need to call me back, Like dad's frantic.
Speaker 3: I need to know you're okay. I like all that. So and that Emily does.
Speaker 1: That's what family does, even if they're estranged or strained or whatever. That's what family does.
Speaker 2: Yes, and Emily does call her back, and that's how we end up on the plane, and uh, that seems amazing.
Speaker 7: Yeah it is.
Speaker 1: It was. It was a culmination of emily frustration. And you just wondered, and I have questioned it throughout the episodes that we've been doing, when is she going to pop? When is she going to tell her own daughter off? And she did it, And what a speech and a speech.
Speaker 2: What a great way for Lorlai as she's walking down the stairs to say, I can't remember the exact line.
Speaker 3: Lost me and oh my god, see it makes me like I know.
Speaker 2: I mean, I was full tears, full tears from the whole thing because I even though Emily did a lot of things wrong, I feel for her because she just wants to be connected to these people so badly and so the way she thinks it's her fault, and like how hurt she is by the way Rory spoke to her, and just how much she just wants connection with these people.
Speaker 3: It's like all she wants and she's so sad.
Speaker 1: It was. It was a great speech. It was it was one of Emily's fine It was maybe her finest moment. I mean, it was a real it was a real climax for Emily. You know, finally she got to say all the things we've all been thinking and feeling as regards you know, their relationship and how she's been treated, even though you know, some a lot of people don't root for and there's plenty of opportunity not to root for right right him beings with feelings, and she felt like she screwed up Laura and she doesn't want to screw up Rory, and she feels like it's just a total screw up. And that's as low as you can feel. So now she's buying a private jet. Poor woman.
Speaker 2: I also love Lauren Laura Lauren because she doesn't have a lot of dialogue, but she portrays so much.
Speaker 3: I just listening.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Like she really like took the moment.
Speaker 8: Like usually she like makes a joke to Emily and says something like and this time she just didn't say anything and let her speak, And I think that was really important.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm.
Speaker 4: It's it's an ongoing theme about you know, coming full circle. And so when when Rory first moved into their house and we talked about how you know, this was their chance for the do over, like they everything went wrong with Laurel. I so now they're going to raise Rory and turn Rory into what they wanted to be. But now we see how that turns out. Rory runs away just like.
Speaker 3: Laurel I didn't.
Speaker 4: And so it like it really emphasizes, you know, kind of the whole full circle thing.
Speaker 2: I think they deep down all come from a place of love.
Speaker 3: It's like, yeah, there's just a lot of love between all.
Speaker 2: Of these people, right, all right, family, let's talk about the reunion.
Speaker 3: The reunion of Rory and Lorelai, which I get we're.
Speaker 1: Left field, hm hmm.
Speaker 2: Like for me, I was so ready for it that it was like I get it. It was a little easy and I was all about.
Speaker 3: It, like just make this easy on me. But I don't know, you guys, say what you think.
Speaker 7: I just love that it happened.
Speaker 8: I like that the phone call happened because she got a job and she's going back to Yale. I think it was kind of the perfect way to do it, because who else would you call when you get a job, Like you'd call your mom or you call your dad. In that sense, it's Laurel I and you want to share that exciting news with them. And then obviously with that comes she's going back to Yale. And I don't know, I just I think of like when I got like a job and I called my mom, you know what I mean, Like, it just makes me think of those moments.
Speaker 4: And she doesn't have Logan anymore, so she's not going to call Logan, so that's kind of the default is, you know, to call Laura I.
Speaker 7: I don't think she would call Lorelei over Logan first too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I actually think, Look, I love Logan, but I think because they were having a break or not, we'll find out, it was easier for her to get the job call. All of this had to happen the way it happened because I think Logan was sort of because he was so team Rory, it was holding her back.
Speaker 3: It was like do whatever you want.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and now that they're having a riff, it's like she picked herself up and got.
Speaker 3: Her bleep together.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I did notice one silly thing after the whole that whole opening scene where Laurel Eyes got her arms stuck in the door because the chain is latched. But then when Rory returns and Laurel I runs out to meet her, there was no chain on the door, so he eagleized.
Speaker 3: It's really but I liked that.
Speaker 4: I liked the hug on the front lawn and how the camera did a.
Speaker 3: Full three six. I like that, Yeah, I liked it all.
Speaker 2: I like how it's like sometimes with a mom, you don't need them to talk about it anymore, just be done and forgive and run out with a big hug like that. And so for me it played out like perfectly, although I understand it was a little quick, it was a little easy.
Speaker 3: Whatever.
Speaker 7: I liked it me too.
Speaker 1: Reunion. The only the only thing they could have made that reunion better is is Rory breaks away from the hug, opens up the trunk and says, mom, look what I've got.
Speaker 3: Body in there. Then it becomes a whole spin off, equally popular, equally popular.
Speaker 1: What's that, Benburg?
Speaker 3: Somebody's gonna fiction now? As always with Gilmour girls, you.
Speaker 2: Think you've reached the moment and then that you haven't. So she comes into the diner and she's so happy, grabbing the doughnuts, the whole thing.
Speaker 3: We can get married now, and it's.
Speaker 8: Like it's so, it's so, I mean obviously Amy and like Amy did this on purpose, but like the second that Rory reunites with Lorelei, now Luke has this like it's just it's never the perfect fairy tale.
Speaker 2: So can I throw something out? And this is something that Suzanne said a few couple of weeks ago. And there's the theories that the Palladinos through season six. I don't think so it may not all be perfect wrote kind of some crappy crap because they weren't negotiating their deal and they weren't going to have their deal for season seven.
Speaker 3: Whatever it is. I might be misconstruing it a little bit.
Speaker 4: I don't know that that was necessarily happening this early in seasons. Okay, I think it was definitely happening in the last episode because for.
Speaker 2: Me, I think it's brilliant. I think the I love the writing. I think it's as funny as ever.
Speaker 3: I like it all.
Speaker 2: But I the cleverness of the sort of this when and the you know, like, to me, that just keeps me hooked.
Speaker 9: Well.
Speaker 3: It's also hard because, like we're on season six.
Speaker 8: I feel like a lot of shows, especially now, they don't get up to six seasons. But at this point you kind of start losing your audience and so you needed that twist to like keep coming back. Like if you think, like, oh, it's all you know, happy go lucky. They're back together. It's not like there is a whole other storyline coming for me.
Speaker 2: April isn't cousin Oliver. If you get the reference, it's like she's not She's not cousin Oliver. Like she that's I'm into it.
Speaker 1: I think. I think the episode on the whole was beautifully written, beautifully directed, beautifully acted. Did it feel like vintage Gilmore girls? Mmmm?
Speaker 3: That's right?
Speaker 1: Did it? I mean vintage? Right? It's a new It's like kind of a new iteration. Right, it's a new show. It feels different, it sounds different, but still it's an excellent show. It's hitting on all cylinders. So all right, so what are we giving it? Those two favorite lines? Uh, Tara, what's your favorite line?
Speaker 7: I said my earlier it was the fin line.
Speaker 1: Oh, then you're you're not qualified to be in this round. If you said it, really, you will get a letter from the committee, Susan, who is now head of that committee.
Speaker 4: Okay, I have two favorite lines, but probably my backe favorite line is in the very beginning, and.
Speaker 1: What am I to do with these people?
Speaker 3: I know they don't follow.
Speaker 4: Them a while, right, the very opening, when they're going upstairs after all the construction is finished, and Luke says, close your eyes. Laureliz says, I'm not scared of it anymore.
Speaker 2: I still and I I apologize that I know there's two, but for me when he says there's the big dramatic fight, and then Jackson's like.
Speaker 3: Was it my meet? Reb? It was?
Speaker 2: And then there's another same kind of gist on the another one.
Speaker 3: There, and I'm just like, it was so funny.
Speaker 2: There's a nice moment between Michelle and Laura Lai that we didn't talk about too with the book. It was sort of like nothing, but he's putting the books away and that's how you learn that they called for the job. Reference but it was not uber memorable, but yet enjoyable.
Speaker 1: Mm hmmmm hm. My favorite line was every single line from Emily's private plane. Yeah, model, Yeah, all right, what are we giving it? Tara? Are you going to give it? And what's your measuring stick?
Speaker 8: My measuring measuring stick is going to be I'm going to give it nine DNA tests.
Speaker 1: Nice.
Speaker 2: Ten of those leather bound giant book that Rory was carrying around the whole time. Ten of those ten heavy leather bound binders, whatever that was.
Speaker 4: I'm going to give it eight Grandma's bedroom sets.
Speaker 1: A lot of truths, ton of trubs. I was gonna give it. I think it's for me. It's a it's a nine point five M. I don't know what the measuring stick is. Nine point five hair follicles yanked out of his head. All right, that's gonna wrap it up, everybody. Next episode, Season six, episode ten, he's slipping the bread dig Thank you, Tara Suits, Susanne French, Amy Sugarman, best fans on the planet. Thanks so much for your down Let's keep your cards and letters coming. Remember we and I am all In.
Speaker 5: Stay safe, everyone, everybody off again.
Speaker 1: Follow us on Instagram at I Am all In podcast and email us at Gilmore at iHeartRadio dot com.