Speaker 1: This is he said, ayadjo with Eric Winter and Rodlin fantab.
Speaker 2: Yeah, menidos, he said, a ja vejo. I am so happy about this episode, Eric Winter. We have good friends Selena Rinhill and her amazing talented husband, Dan Levi Dagerman. You know, they are the owners of Two Hands Productions, and they have a film it's out right now.
Speaker 3: And let me tell you something.
Speaker 2: He has won a bunch of awards and has one hundred percent rating on Rotten Tomatoes. That is unbelievable. I am such a big fan of Selena. Guys, she is a Mexican. She moved here to the States married to a green girl. Their company ours is two for the Road is two Hands. We have a lot of similarities. She is a trailblazer. This girl is next level, incredibly smart, and they are a couple.
Speaker 3: They director, yeah, they're both.
Speaker 2: They direct, they produce, they write, they edit, they do it all. And the movies are so well done and so fantastic. And the one that is out now, we're going to be talking about it. You want to talk you.
Speaker 3: Me and her?
Speaker 2: You me.
Speaker 3: I can't wait to discuss it.
Speaker 4: They have an amazing story about how this film came about, let's let's just bring them and let's start talking with them.
Speaker 3: Oh it's like deja vu? Oh my god, Shall we tell people what happened?
Speaker 4: I almost feel like we should share this story. It's just kind of a funny. Not funny, guys.
Speaker 2: I know, we had Selena and then come over to here to the podcast from We were so excited we were gonna have somebody in person. It was the studio in studio, we talked for like an hour. We had such a laugh, We covered everything. It was one of my favorite favorite episodes ever. Then I get a text from our producers saying there.
Speaker 3: Is a problem.
Speaker 2: There's a and I'm going I don't care, then fix it and they're like no, we're trying to do everything. And they're like, no, I don't think you understand it. We have done everything. It doesn't work. I'm going to I don't think you understand me.
Speaker 3: Her whole day was ruined.
Speaker 4: It was like it was like calling somebody about a breakup and you're just hoping the breakup's gonna go like smooth. And I said, well, it's not gonna get any better. You just gotta let them know. So we have to redo this can magically appear that we have audio and then all this, Oh.
Speaker 3: My god, guys. I was so embarrassed.
Speaker 2: And I was texting with Selena back and forth because they were flying going to a screening that I did from my movie, and there their flight got delayed and we're going back and forth and everything is wonderful, and she's asking me when is the episode gonna come out? And I'm going I'm about to answer, I get the TEGs. My heart dropped. I was like, I'm gonna cry. So I'm telling Eric, Eric, the episode doesn't work. There's a problem with the sound, and he's I didn't tell her. I'm going, no, you tell her that.
Speaker 4: I'm telling the pros, well, listen, cham welcome back again.
Speaker 3: We we really.
Speaker 1: And I just want to say to you, it's so funny because that dynamic that you just described is me and Dan all the time. Fix it. I'm gonna person and they're gonna sure it out and it doesn't work like that.
Speaker 2: I was so fun with the producers, going this is embarrassing, and they're like, Russ, it happens all the time. I'm sure they're gonna understand now, and I don't understand it.
Speaker 3: Was like the worst breakup phone call. I mean, it wasn't a breakup, obviously.
Speaker 2: It was together and you were so grateful. So I ended up saying, Selena, I have a problem. So I told her, and you were so fantastic saying, you know what, it's okay, We'll do it again.
Speaker 3: I understand and we'll create. Thank you for that. Thank you for that, because if you listening to uh It's it's so great.
Speaker 4: We got our press box for you, me and her in the mail, which was so incredible. I just posted about the you know, the trailer for this movie that we both love. We we saw at the premiere, which was a festival premiere.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: First off, I just want you guys to dive right.
Speaker 4: In to the origin story of this movie because to me, it is one of the most fascinating origin stories and I think one of the main reasons everybody should see this movie because it's based on real events.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thank you us about that.
Speaker 1: So well. Me and Dan went on a trip to Vegas. It was one of the first trips that we had taken without our son after we had had a kid. And we were at this club in Las Vegas and this woman who was very beautiful, started hitting on me, which is something that had never really happened to me because I hadn't really been hit on by a woman. But what I realized was that I found myself attracted to her, and I found myself very curious about her, and so she really wanted to kiss me. So I asked Stan. I was like, I kind of want to kiss her too, like is that okay? And he was like, uh, yeah, that's okay, and.
Speaker 6: I was like okay, well, don't hesitate or anything. So anyway, we shared this like very beautiful kiss and then this woman was like, you know, well I would really love to see you later.
Speaker 1: Can I get your phone number? And I was like, oh, okay, I don't know. So then I asked it.
Speaker 7: I was like, hey, give her my phone number, like she kind of wants to see me later, and he was like, yeah, give her your phone number. I was like okay, So I gave her my phone number and then we spent like the next forty eight hours in Vegas just talking about like what was allowed, what wasn't, what would make me feel safe, what would make him feel.
Speaker 1: Safe, Like what are safe? Woard would be like all these different things and we were laughing so much. We were feeling so connected over this, like and sure that we could maybe go on. And this bitch never texted me. I was ghosted, which made me feel like I was in high school again. It's been a minute since I'm ghosted by someone because I've been married for ten years anyway, so I uh. But by the time we were leaving Vegas, we were actually already outlining the script because we were like, Wow, that up like a lot of stuff for us, and we feel like it's so interesting and there's so many dynamics to kind of explore in what this means and what it brings up and and what it is to be in a long term committed marriage and keep a spark and all these other things.
Speaker 4: I want to back up for one second, Dan, what was going through your mind? Was it like, let me just make sure my wife is happy or that, and what's in it for me?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Well that behind with you know, there's a male fantasy and that maybe I share a little bit of, so you know, there was there there. There are those two things going on. And what's so interesting is when this print was presented to us and Selena was interested, there's almost like this relationship loophole if you're both on board. So there. So it's this fantasy, it's this fantasy dynamic that was at play, and it was really interesting.
Speaker 1: Well, and the other thing I will say about Dan, I'm gonna give him credit here, is that if he had been pushy at all, like even like one inch, if he had been like, dude, I would do it. I don't want to do it anymore, back off. But because he was so good at like walking the line of like, honey, whatever you need, well, whatever you feel, well, what would feel good to you? And I was like, oh fun, no good to me.
Speaker 3: You know, well played, well played. Flipped the table here.
Speaker 4: What if the woman had approached Dan and said, hey, I'm into you, babe.
Speaker 3: Are you cool with the three of us?
Speaker 8: No?
Speaker 3: Come on, come on? Oh my so I mean, let me ask Eric.
Speaker 2: So Eric, we are at a club and this beautiful woman comes over and says like, oh my god, you're so pretty, and I'm going, oh my god, thank you. And she's like I really want to kiss you. And I look at you and I go, Eric, what do I do?
Speaker 3: And we kiss? And then she said they didn't kiss. They didn't kiss yes, they did, Yes they did. Oh you did? You did? Kiss?
Speaker 2: So they kissed, and then she asked for my number, and she goes, what, I want to see you later.
Speaker 3: I don't care. Your husband can come.
Speaker 2: And I go to you and I say, Eric, this really hot chick wants to hang out with us, but she likes me first.
Speaker 3: Here's what I know.
Speaker 4: In this fantasy world, I would have grabbed the popcorn out the gate, because I don't see a world in which this one would have engaged in the kiss. It would have been so fun to watch how awkward she would have been in that situation.
Speaker 3: I don't think.
Speaker 4: I imagine Selena, you probably played it with a bit.
Speaker 3: More swag and cool.
Speaker 4: I think, I don't know, you would have had panic on your face of what's happening right now?
Speaker 3: What is this woman doing?
Speaker 2: Eric?
Speaker 3: Oh my god, get me. I don't know what to do. It would have been a totally I just more shocked. I think if you were fully in I don't know, but you think you would have been fully I have no idea.
Speaker 2: I've never been in that situation. I have no idea.
Speaker 3: I'm actually maybe she's gorgeous. You know what's going to happen.
Speaker 4: One of our listeners is going to have heard this and they we're gonna be out somewhere and some chick's gonna make a move on her, and.
Speaker 3: We're gonna find out. Maybe that will be your sequel, that you me her sequel.
Speaker 2: Anyway, So you guys, okay, so the girl, that's funny. So the girl ghosted you guys, you're flying. You're already thinking about, oh my god, this is a movie. You start writing right, and I want everybody to know Selena stars she You guys co wrote it together.
Speaker 1: So yes, we we kind of do. I wrote it, but we outlined together. He goes through everything I write, he adds his own.
Speaker 3: We're very like a team exactly. And this couple guys, so they shoot it.
Speaker 2: They go to Mexico, they shoot this beautiful movie and then he directed it, and then you edit the movie as well.
Speaker 3: Correct that.
Speaker 1: Well, we had editors.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I did a first crazy cut past like that was done ten days after production.
Speaker 8: That got us in a huge fight.
Speaker 1: Mainly it's well, i'll tell you why. I'll tell you why. So he's we're cutting the movie because he's trying to understand what the movie's like. Because we first we shot in La and then we were shooting in Mexico. So what he was trying to do was understand what did we get in La, so that he knows what he wants.
Speaker 8: To like matching the look.
Speaker 1: Okay, but here's what he did. Here's what he did.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 1: That was so much more from the male perspective, and so then it was like all these introspective moments with like the male and like how hard it is for him, and I'm like, wait a minute, I love and this movie is like it is a dual protagonist movie. I will say that we wanted that, but it's like a little more female skewed and.
Speaker 5: If you hold on a shot just like a little longer, that changes everything.
Speaker 4: Of course, yeah, we've seen this, and you guys did a beautiful job of telling the story because it's it's so funny and interesting and complex all at the same time.
Speaker 3: Because it's true like.
Speaker 4: If you were ever in that situation, we just imagined it talking about it, but it would not be the same way for everybody being in this situation, for sure.
Speaker 2: It's it's tricky and like with this cost already, if it would have happened to Dan. It would have been a completely different dynamic. It would have been a completely different movie. Imagine happening to that. Okay, let's write about that experience and about how a woman in a loving, respectful relationship will freak out and say, absolutely enough.
Speaker 4: Some girls hitting on me on the dance floor and even started to lean in. This one would have had like a hand in the back of the head where then probably to me, probably to hit me.
Speaker 3: I said, I didn't do anything on meose.
Speaker 2: Because she's very disrespectful. Listen, I'll never forget that. We're at a and I'm listening. I'm not like the jealous type, but like I, well am I not? Well, I'm not anyway, So were I never forget where in the Atlanta and we're with some friends healthy jealous, that's healthy jealous. So we're at this restaurant, both are and I just don't like disrespect.
Speaker 3: This is the problem with me.
Speaker 2: If a girl is looking at him because he's not myering, oh my god, he's hot, he's a good looking guy or whatever. But I acknowledge and knowledges me right. Like we went to Disney and this woman came over. He was at a ride. I was waiting outside. She came over, Can I take a picture with yourself? Of course, I'm not gonna love you so much. And then at the end she goes and I love your husband too, And I go, oh my god, he's having he's with the kids, doing this right, But I didn't do it. Then like an hour later, she wants a picture with him now and she comes over to me and I said, oh my god, do you mind I you know what I mean. That's a classy lady. That was That's classic. So I was like, oh, of course I'll take the picture myself. What I don't like is the disrespect that they just act like, you know, you're not even there, and they're being flirt flirty and trying it on and completely dismissed that they dismiss you.
Speaker 3: I can't start.
Speaker 2: I have a big issue with this year all the time. But it doesn't by the way, with the guy girls, it doesn't don't be.
Speaker 3: Taggy, don't be tagging.
Speaker 2: Wait at a restaurant and this girl there's there's two girls having dinner. It's a bunch of us, right, and and I see the girl looking at him and just but like just nasty, right, like she was just being disrespectful.
Speaker 3: He doesn't even know what's happening.
Speaker 2: And the girl keeps looking and I'm looking right at her, and she just like, I'm not there, and I'm going I'm gonna see how long this is gonna play out? So nobody I don't say anything, nobody knows anything. And then there's for a moment, I look at her right and I go.
Speaker 3: What did I say? I said, you got a problem? You have problem? What are you looking at?
Speaker 2: Everybody like the entire table because they did.
Speaker 3: They didn't know that this whole thing was played out right. All our friends are like, oh my god, what's going on?
Speaker 2: I said, no, I wanted to say something, you know, And the girl got so uncomfortable and freaked out.
Speaker 4: Everybody in the restaurant got company. What we probably give you, guys a great sequel to this movie. And he's like, Ross, what are you doing?
Speaker 3: What are you doing?
Speaker 2: And I'm going, I don't like disrespects. If see what If she finds you cute, it's fine, I would love it. If she goes, no, your husband is hot, I'll be like, yeah, he is, you know, I just don't like it.
Speaker 4: I don't like if a guy disrespects me. She's like, Babe, babe, don't ever react, don't ever react.
Speaker 3: It's okay. I mean, it's fine, I got this.
Speaker 4: Don't worry all right.
Speaker 3: Back to the movie. We're trying to work on your sequel. Yes, I love it, so the movie.
Speaker 4: What I want to also talk about is, because I think we get asked this a lot. How do you get in this business? How do you start something? How do you become a writer, how do you become an actor? How do you become a director? I mean, there's so many things people don't understand what it takes to make a movie, to put something together.
Speaker 3: Share a bit.
Speaker 4: I mean, you both come from an extensive background with studying film and studying all that, and you guys met together, I know.
Speaker 3: In school.
Speaker 4: So even with all the talents and all the knowledge, it's still not easy. There's no there's no linear path to success. Tell us a little bit the journey for this movie.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm gonna let's sland that ticket because I have to grab something important.
Speaker 1: So yeah, no, I would say, I mean, I think so much of what it takes or what it's taken for us is just really be thinking outside the box. Because I think it's almost like, strangely, not enough to have a good story. It's not enough to be a good actor, it's not enough to be a good writer. It's like that's how it's felt for me. That doesn't mean that there isn't another journey for someone else, but I think that so much of what it's taken for us is to like really really think outside the box and be like, how do we find our audience, how do we do things that are innovative, how do we become like a marketing machine besides making the movie, Like, we partnered with this new platform called attend, and our movie is going to come to two hundred and fifty theaters nationwide. Wow, which is enormous.
Speaker 3: Yeah, which is huge.
Speaker 4: People don't understand that's huge for an independent movie just coming out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and our move to our movie was done for a little under a million dollars. Okay, we usually would be in theaters is between twenty and one hundred million. That's like what you're watching in theaters so and eighty to ninety percent of everything you see in theaters is owned by the studios. So for an independent film to really get a shot at a theatrical is like slim to none. You usually have to four wall, you go to LA and New York, you last one week, you die. So this is like enormous, But what it took to get here was also enormous because it was like, first of all, Dan messaged the ex president of the National Association of Theater Owners on LinkedIn okaysage message, whole message and basically saw that he was building something. So it took a Dan being informed that he was building something b him sending that message, which I think a lot of people would be like why would I send this message. I'm not going to get a response, you know. Then it took a lot of follow up. So like first we had a call with them. They were like, oh my god, you guys are so fun and enthusiastic. Keep us posting. And we were like, okay, I'll keep you out. And then we followed up again, and then we followed up again, and then and then we finally they were like, you know, we really if we don't really like watching movies and links, we need to see movies in theaters. So we rented out a theater. We were like, you tell us the day and the time, we'll rent out the theater, we will be there. So then we show it to them in theaters and they go, wow, we're really surprised. This is like a very thoughtful, good film. They're like, all right, well, stay in touch. Anyway, this was literally like a six month process, and it all came down to like this one lunch. We just kept following up and following up. But we had other deals on the table, but they weren't good deals.
Speaker 8: And we really.
Speaker 1: Believe that this movie deserved more, and we had put so much of ourselves into it. It was so personal and we cared so much about what we're trying to say because it's not just about a threesome. It's about the dynamics of a long term, committed relationship. It's about how we stop seeing each other, how we start taking each other for granted, about how sometimes we're not curious about the other person and therefore we don't know how they're growing or how they're changing, and that disconnect is the end of a marriage. And so we really wanted to talk about all of that. Anyway, long story short, we go to this lunch. This is my proudest moment of my life. So we're at this lunch and they're basically talking about how they're raising money to do this thing, and they're starting their beta phase in like the next year, where they're going to choose fifteen movies to kind of launch this platform with. But they already have their chech partners, they already know what they're building. They're already really excited about this whole thing. And I go, well, what if you had an alpha test? And they're like okay, Like well what do you mean? And I'm like, well, what if you actually used a movie like that actually helps you build the tools that you're doing for the platform, So it's like you're getting information as you're doing it with an alpha And they were like, Okay, well I guess that's an interesting idea. And I was like, well I think it should be with our movie. Wow, And they were like real ballsy I am. Anyway, they were like so they go, well, if we're gonna do an alpha test, why would we do it with you guys? Like, you know, no offense, You guys have a great movie. But like we're talking to like really famous people, like we have all these relationships, like we're you know, I just don't know why we would choose you guys as the first thing we put out and we were like, I was like, you know, everything you're saying is that the audience wants more independent films. If you choose someone like Scarlett Johansson or whoever, right, some famous filmmaker, people are always going to come back and go, well, yeah, it worked because of Scarlett Johansson, right, people showed up for her. But if you choose us and we're nobody, which we will be, we will be big deals very soon.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes you will.
Speaker 1: If you choose us then and it works, then you're proving your point, which is that a good independent film can actually find its audience. And you're also never going to meet two people who are going to work harder to make this. And they literally looked at me, and they literally looked at me like in that table, like in the lunch they looked at each other and then looked at me and went, Okay, oh my.
Speaker 2: God, amazing, Oh my god, Selena is so inspiring to hear that isn't because we're have a production company as well as you know, I'm directing now, I have aspiration, so continue directing and stories like that. What you guys are living at the moment is that you walk in testaments of the way it should be done. You know, It's it's a longer journey. It's it's more. It takes a lot of thinking outside the box. It's a lot of betting on yourself and what you can bring to the table. And when when when your vision is so crystal clear and you sit down with people that are clear, that a position of power. But when listen, when you taste that honey, and when you go into those meetings and you have that twinkle in your eye and that desire that they I'm sure they haven't seen for a long time, you know what I mean, A young couple putting things together, talking the talk, walking the walk, you know, and and it's probably incredibly refreshing to them. It's amusing, you know, but it's refreshing. And and it took that that energy you know, magnetic.
Speaker 3: That's how I see you. I see you.
Speaker 2: You're so magnetic in terms of the way you sell things, the way you speak, and just knowing that it's a couple doing it together that went to school with a common goal. It's incredible. It's incredible to hear you, guys speak. It's incredible to hear you, guys, and tell the story, because it's like it is going to be such a it's like a playbook for all the younger ones.
Speaker 3: You know that I'm behind us saying it's possible.
Speaker 4: Exactly what I say, let's talk about the playbook that I was going to just say that. It's a great segue into it, because again going back to what a lot of our listeners ask for is help.
Speaker 3: How do we get how do we succeed?
Speaker 4: How do we you know, chalk, you strike out the first goal and get to the next goal, and you have a little bit of a playbook there you've written.
Speaker 3: Talk to us about that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so this is the book is called Be the Train, The mindset and Tools you need to make your first feature film. But I really think that it's actually a book about any creative field. And I think so much of what I focus on is kind of like the mindset you need to empower yourself to keep pushing forward. I think there's so much we've been told about, like waiting for the train, waiting for the opportunity, waiting to get discovered. If you just go to class and you work on your thing, someone's going to come and they're going to see you and then it's all going to happen. And that has just not been my experience. And I am so happy for the people who get to live through that route, but mine has been much tougher, and I've had to fight every step of the way, and I have had to write my own roles, and we have had to make our own movies, and we have had to figure out our own marketing campaign.
Speaker 3: I mean we literally our.
Speaker 1: Own We've had to figure out We've had to get our own investors, like we've had to make ceratives. It's like you have to be almost like a business person.
Speaker 3: It is a business, like you guys are the brand. You're building your own business.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I literally, I mean I have a whole chapter here on cold emails because I have gotten so much through cold emails, just like really thoughtful, strategic researched cold emails. We got twenty brand partners for the marketing campaign of this movie, Like once the movie was finished, none of these brands are in the movie, And we got twenty brands to come on in the aftermath to help us. And literally I did the math and I got around one hundred thousand dollars worth of in kind from these twenty brands, which is insane.
Speaker 2: That's insane. I'm gonna get into your minds for a second.
Speaker 3: How do you deal?
Speaker 2: And I'm sure you talk about it in the book which I'm about to start reading. And Male Robbins, I want to say, these guys and everybody that loves emotional intelligence, you know, and and self talk. And she's one of the best motivational speakers.
Speaker 3: It's a brilliant mind.
Speaker 2: And she read the book and she has a commos quote quote unquote, which is a really an incredible accomplishment that you have somebody at that caliber. You know, that is so smart, you know, saying guys, you need you need to read this. You know it's very valuable, it's great. But how do you guys approach because as creative people, you know, we put together all these ideas, you know TV shows, you know we have this and we have You've seen my stuff, I've seen your stuff, Selena.
Speaker 3: Rather you'll get you let me look at your deck. Oh my god. And to us, the.
Speaker 2: Creator is undeniable, right you read it, You're behind it, you see it.
Speaker 3: It's like everybody's gonna get it.
Speaker 2: This is a no brainer, and then it's time for you to hit the market and then you go and you start pitching. Yeah, And because it's so subjective, you know, what you think is brilliant, somebody else might go, I didn't get it. And it happens every single day to people that are trying to create content like us, and it is very deflating, you know, when you go into a room and you have something that you have worked so hard and put so much airport and thought into it and they read it and they just, oh, we just didn't respond or we don't think it's our mandate, or we have heard this so many times before, you know, and it's the constant no that is so easy for them for them to say, and it's crushing because you leave that room or you hang up that phone going am I wrong?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 2: You know, like I thought this was a slam dunk. Is like I think it's timely, I think is smart. I think is what people want to consume.
Speaker 3: And then you have.
Speaker 2: Somebody saying no, no, thank you. How do you guys? It's crushing. How do you guys deal with that? And just go Okay, let's go back to the drawing board next, let's move on.
Speaker 5: I think one thing we do is we have a really diverse slate of a lot of different projects. So instead of having all our eggs in one basket, we look at it as like a chessboard. So we're moving things as far as we can with the different ones, and then we also have our personal project where we're just the train, and those are the ones we've succeeded at the most so far. We've got our slates, so shout out our.
Speaker 8: Slate of amazing projects.
Speaker 5: But you know, we're pitching those and then we're figuring out what we're going to make next, proactively doing that well.
Speaker 1: And I think also, so I think, yes, that's all true, And I think that like obviously our independent ones have been smaller budget than some of our other ones. Right, it's harder to get more money, so like so, but when you have something that requires less money, kind of easier to just at least keep it moving while you're trying to get the bigger stuff going.
Speaker 5: One thing Selena talks about in her book a Lot is working with what's around you. Because if you're working with what's around you, you inherently have built in production design, you have you know, locations, you can work with your friends and it all feels very organic to the story and process.
Speaker 8: So that's a great way to get started.
Speaker 1: And then also Roslyn like we get super sad sometimes not like there's no denying, Like it is tough. It is tough out there, and you put your heart out. I mean, we just did a video right now, by the way with the skin Deep, this very very intent you're gonna watch it. You're gonna text me and be like, are you guys okay? But which in a very very vulnerable conversation about the inner dynamics of our marriage that are tough, and they're things that I think are really important to speak about, and things that are also spoken about in the movie. And we put our like heart like just on the line, you know, and this guy comments divorce in three years, Oh my.
Speaker 9: God, And that's just the world. Like anyway, the point is like there's you know, there is a reality of just like the more vulnerable you are, the more haters you're gonna get because people are very uncomfortable with the fact that you're being vulnerable. People get very uncomfortable with honesty. People get very uncomfortable with like how come.
Speaker 1: You feel comfortable saying your truth when I don't feel comfortable even telling my mother about this thing I did last week, you know what I'm saying. So there's a lot of that, and there's gonna be friction, and I think that's really tough, and I think it's really tough to get knows and I think it's really valid to be like today, I'm just gonna feel bad, Like I'm just gonna feel bad today and then tomorrow I'm gonna wake up and figure out what I do about it to keep moving forward.
Speaker 4: But yeah, it's that's every aspect of being a creative. I don't care if you're on the acting side, directing, writing, when you're putting something out there that's so subjective, right, like anybody could love it, anybody could hate it. There's no rhyme or reason why somebody wins an Oscar and somebody doesn't, or somebody gets nominated, and there's hundreds of others that deserve to be nominated.
Speaker 3: It's all opinion based.
Speaker 4: And that's one of the most difficult things that I even tell Like my daughter who had times she's like I think I want to go into your business. I'm like, no, you don't, please you don't want to go into our business is that if you can in any anything, it's hard. Being a professional athlete is hard. Being a CEO of a company is hard. But if you work hard, there's often a result that will prove your work right.
Speaker 3: Being a creative, I don't care how would you work.
Speaker 4: I don't care how many hours you put in, with the time, the effort, I don't care if you're sweating.
Speaker 3: I don't give me what you've done.
Speaker 4: There's no guaranteed proof of your work because somebody else could say I don't like it. It's not for me, And it's something that we all have to accept. That's part of being in this business. But I think what's important, like in going back to your book, is you got to just keep the train moving.
Speaker 3: You got to jump on.
Speaker 4: You got to believe in your business, whatever it is, whether it's just an actor, whether it's a full production company, whether it's a writer or.
Speaker 3: Whatever, it's your business.
Speaker 4: And I like something you spoke about even before, which is people need to believe your business is real and it's moving no matter what it's like. We're making this so you're welcome to come in and jump on the train and be involved. And if it's not for you, it's not for you. But we're making this happen. And I think that's so important in honestly, in all aspects of business in general, not just ours. It's just you have to show people I'm all in. This is going to happen with or without you. So it's up to you if you want to miss.
Speaker 3: I'm going to tell you something.
Speaker 2: The title of your book has affected me so deeply, Selena and people that have followed.
Speaker 3: My career. I've been going at this for almost thirty years.
Speaker 2: It's been pretty consistent, you know, I have worked consistently for so long.
Speaker 3: But it doesn't mean that that is it's.
Speaker 2: Been easy easy, you know. I am, I am, I look the way I look. I have an accent. So it's been up and down and and people often see me and they go, you inspire me, Oh my god, how do you do it? And and it's crazy you know that you're still going at it and successfully, and I.
Speaker 3: Go, it's it's a trip. It's a trip.
Speaker 2: And since you showed me your book, because we've been talking about it for a bit, right, and I have the word train. I'm not kidding you what I'm telling you that I visualize myself as a literal train. Oh, I show to you and I just go, I'm a train, you know, like I swaw to you and I just I'm a train. Either you jump in or you don't. It's that simple. And I'm in the middle. And I know you guys relate because you know, I directed my movie and I'm now in the process of getting distribution, which is brutal, you know. And I'm trying to do all these things to think outside the box. And how am I going to do in music videos with the leading ladies, And I'm doing all this stuff that usually people don't do is called it costs a lot of effort, time, money, you know, because I'm betting on me. Yeah, it's a lot of people doubting is it necessary? Is it necessary? And I said, listen, I don't know what I'm doing, but I do know what I'm doing. Yeah, And I'm a train. I'm a train, you know, And I'm not going to stop. Either you jump or you don't. And and the way that that my cast views me and they're like, oh my god, you're crazy, but let's do it. Yeah, Oh my god, you inspire you inspire me. You're out of your mind.
Speaker 3: What do we have to do. I'm gonna use sing.
Speaker 2: This is gonna have a girl right now recording a song and she's like, well, I don't even sing, oh you sing, Just go and do it.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna make you sing. So so thank you for that.
Speaker 2: Thank you for that, because I swear to you, I I literally I have become a train.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you. That literally made me cry. And I'm having kind of like an anxious day today because our movie is out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the movie's out. It's a huge accomplishment, two hundred and fifty theaters, I'm assuming guys. So after you do the theatrical play, then is you the goal is is going to go to a streamer?
Speaker 1: Yes, so we're in conversation with streaming platforms right now.
Speaker 3: Perfect.
Speaker 8: So that's yeah.
Speaker 1: But I want to say you are a huge inspiration, and you are a train, and you've always been a train and I've known you. That's something I've always felt about you. And just so you know, one of the chapters in my book is actually called Surround Yourself with Other Trains, because I think it's so important when you are the train. And now I'm getting really emotional, but it's actually really hard because most people are going to think you're crazy. That's what it feels like to be a trained So you have to be surrounded by other trains. You have to be surrounded by other trains who understand what it takes to put yourself out there constantly, even when things get hard, to keep pushing forward, to keep doing things, even if we don't know what we're doing. We obviously don't always know what we're doing. It's like being creative is insane. It's like an insane process, but it's also so exciting and it brings so much joy to be in that process of figuring it out and figuring out who your audience is and what works and what doesn't work, and you're learning and growing. And I think that that's so valuable in life. And I think that when you surround yourself with other people like that, you level each other up, you inspire each other correct.
Speaker 2: It's like when you get to do scenes with people that are really really great actors, it elevates you. Yeah, that's why you have like average actors doing surprising everybody with fantastic work. And what you have to look is who's around them, who's acting with them. It elevates you, you know, and that's what we have to aim in life.
Speaker 3: This is amazing.
Speaker 2: I love I love you guys, and I wish you incredible success and very important people that love independent filmmaking, that appreciate the work that it takes to do to be an independent filmmaker. Go support you know, check your your listenings, check what the movie is playing. It's it's nationwide, right, two hundred and fifteen nationwide, So I'm sure.
Speaker 5: There's a theater.
Speaker 4: I'm telling you people, please trust us on this one. We've seen it. Jump on this train, you me and her in theaters now, you don't want to miss it.
Speaker 2: And you know what's cool about it when you leave a theater and there's conversation, because it's gonna make you think a lot, especially marry couples or just couples that they go in and they're going to leave the theater now, go to dinner, go have a drink and talk about what you just saw and what would be your reaction if it happened to you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thank you guys so much, love, thank you so much for having us and for making the time to do take you.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry about that.
Speaker 2: It was such a good episode, but this one is a great episode.
Speaker 1: Took bye bye, Well.
Speaker 4: That was still a great, great to redo episode. Yes, yes, awesome couple, just powerhouses and and you know again we get asked a lot, so this is a perfect episode to help answer those questions about being in this business. How do you do it? How do you go about it? And it's really just be your own train and believe in yourself and do whatever it takes, you know, send those cold emails, reach out to whoever can help.
Speaker 3: Just try.
Speaker 4: You gotta try, try and try again. And they're a great example of that, so wish them all the success.
Speaker 3: Yes, all right, love you, thanks for listening. Don't forget to write us a review and tell us what you think.
Speaker 2: If you want to follow us on Instagram, check us out at he said, is that email Eric and Ross at iHeartRadio dot com. He said, is part of iHeart Radio's Mike Will Do That podcast network.
Speaker 3: See you next time.
Speaker 1: Bye,