Speaker 1: Als media.
Speaker 2: Oh oh oh oh oh oh oh.
Speaker 3: If Robert can do his a tonal shreeks, then I can sing off key yo, I'm back. Help me all up in your feed. Wast these rap gus get all up in your feed. That's a wu tang reference again to the Black delegation, shout out y'all showing up on the in the subreddit. You feel me, Black folks showing up and showing out. I appreciate y'all.
Speaker 4: I was wrong. It's more than five of us. I shout out to you, man. I love y'all.
Speaker 3: Thanks for showing up, and shout out all the Latinos who tapped into and le puez. Hey gontodo MI hint ben at gay when valivo listen.
Speaker 5: We gotta really invite our Latino brothers and sisters, our Theos and diaz and also our Asian black people, the penoise and Penis, our Athes and Quias.
Speaker 4: You're all a part of our delegation here, all of our USO. We love y'all.
Speaker 3: The whole diaspora of people who seizon their chicken and wash their legs. I love y'all, And to this whole delegation once we add it all together is about twenty of us to you. I say, y'all want something from the gas station. I got you so today. I don't want to ruin your breakfast. I don't want to ruin your coffee. I'm just gonna ruin your music. This is about the death of the music festival. It already happened here all right now, y'all know I'll be playing. I'm playing about all this like I'm only talking to the melanated folks. Y'all.
Speaker 4: Y'all know I'm playing, right.
Speaker 3: I mean, this is why while I slowly wink at the brown folk, I'm just playing, y'all. I'm sorry, I'm messing around. It's called opening. You know, you guys got a great sit to humor here. All right, let's get to it. Festivals like, am I right? You know, if you're anywhere within a five to ten mile radius of my age, I mean.
Speaker 4: Festivals is like these are like a write of passage.
Speaker 3: You know, I am not only a festival goer, but a festival performer and as an artist. It was like festivals were kind of in a lot of ways how I marked the years. There were people that I really only saw like once a year, when I was at that festival, whether it was other acts, other bands, or even a lot of times the volunteers or the people that like put the event together, like you believe it or not, you kind of make friends, you know, and he's again, these are people You're like, Dang, I can't believe it was a whole year, you know, And it was a good way to make sure as an artist that you were making new music and had something new to perform. Oh, and make sure you had some new merch because you know, if you played your cards right, if you've listened to my show, I've talked a lot about, like, you know, the science of festivals and as a performer of like this could either be a complete waste of time and money if you're on at like the main stage at like twelve noon when it's like a trillion degrees outside, you know, but if you can get that right as the sun set, like if you're not the headliner, if you could get that right at sunset, right where the sun just breaks the horizon line coming down that.
Speaker 4: That golden hour set.
Speaker 3: The crowd isn't shitfaced yet, you know, they're at the top of their molly.
Speaker 4: You feel you're riding the high.
Speaker 3: It is just settled in or whatever drugs that these people are on, they've kind of just settled in right there. They're relaxed, they're willing to sing along. Nobody's getting trample jet. It's not like the frenzy that kind of happens at the headliner situation, where like somebody might die. Shout out, astro world. I say that not as a joke. I'm saying things can go wrong, but oh the experience. Man, Like, I don't know how old you are, and obviously you can't answer me. Do you remember the last like big festival you went to, you know, back when your knees were good and it was okay for you to stand for twelve hours And there's somebody you know, having sexual intercourse in the porter potty. You know, you're stepping over barf right, and you just paid thirty dollars for a bottle of water, you know that you could stuff into your clear backpack because you weren't allowed to bring anything else in there. But man, that's probably a euphoria, especially if it's a group or a band that you really like that you saved up all year to go see. You know, some people were like festival operas, Like that's their thing. They spend their summer going to music festivals. Since twenty twelve up to twenty fourteen, like the music fest has been guys, we've.
Speaker 4: Kind of been on borrow time.
Speaker 3: We've we lived through a music festival renaissance. According to NPR, since twenty thirteen, everything sold out, the four mega giants, right, so, Coachello, Bataru, Lolla Palooza in Chicago, Austin City Limits Music Festival in Texas. It was like this never ending flow of amazing, amazing events, and you know what, they were kind of affordable. In the next five years, you had things taken forth like Pitchfork in Chicago, Hangout Music Festival on the Beach and the Gulf Shore outside Lands, Bali Music, Mount Oasis, Electronic Music.
Speaker 4: Festival, Forecastle Festival. Right, and I'm even.
Speaker 3: Gonna add in this, before all this for hip hop stuff, dude, we had rock the bells. Like we lived in a time where you could see all of your favorite artists in the most epic locations. You'd see people who if you were to try to buy their tour ticket, it would cost the same amount if they were headlining the thing but you could see all your favorite acts. Part of this was because we listened to radio, you were exposed to more things and it was probably the fun part about a lot of times about music festival is because you probably saw that act, your favorite band, your favorite rapper, you saw them at a hole in the wall five years ago, which was like ten bucks to get in, and you might have snuck in or got on the list because you knew somebody that knew the DJ. And now you're like, I followed this crew from when they were like playing a whole in a wall with ten people, where there was more staff at the bar than on this and now you're like, dude, you feel like you were a part of their evolution. Like you saw Chance at the Subterranean, Now he's headline at Bonaru. What a feeling you're part of the story. Well, that's probably a relic of the past, and let's talk about it. So festivals for most of the last decade have been everywhere like whatever type of music you like, whatever subgenre, whatever part of the world you want to go to, there's a music festival that you can show up at. Now, in twenty twenty four, more than half of them across the world were canceled.
Speaker 4: I lost count on this page.
Speaker 3: I'm about to read to y'all from Musicfestival Wizard dot Com. Festival's canceled so far in twenty twenty four. Okay you ready for this? Shindig twenty twenty four, Melt twenty twenty four, Sideways Festival, No Stock Field, Maneuvers, Tower z The Quintinin Big Slap, Electric Zoo Peach twenty twenty four. All the Music Festival Life Is Beautiful Festival, Country Thunder Florida, Swanee Roots Festival, edc China, Lucidity Festival in Santa Barbara, Desert Days in Lake Paris, Pinefest in the UK, Good Vibes Festival in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, Sierra Nevada World Music Festival in Booneville, El Dorado Music Festival in the UK, Sudden Little Thrills in Pittsburgh, Big Ridge Rock Fest in Virginia, Lollapalooza Paris Music Midtown Atlanta, Lovers and Friends Fest in Las Vegas, which I was really sad about. Riverside Festival, Glasgow in where Glasgow, Soul Bloom Sacramento tw Classic twenty twenty four, in Belgium, Kaylamijas in Kaylamijas, Spain, Caldoora music festival in Queensland, Made An America Festival Philadelphia, Oblivion Access Austin Texas, Meadows in the Mountains twenty twenty four in Bulgaria, Imagine Festival in Rome, Georgia, Splendor on the Grass in Byron By Australia, Body and Soul Festival in Ireland, Moon Rose Festival. I'm tired of I'm not even done yet, I'm not even halfway through this thing.
Speaker 4: Festivals died in twenty twenty four.
Speaker 3: Digital News reports that sixty festivals in the UK alone canceled. Ashley King wrote this article on August twenty third, twenty twenty four, for Digital Music News, and in that she says the United Kingdom has lost one hundred and ninety two music festivals since twenty nineteen, according to the Association of Independent Festivals the AIF, which is a not for profit trade festival association that represents the interest of over two hundred independent UK music festivals that range from five hundred to eighty thousand people. The AIF estimates that the UK lost ninety six events during the COVID pandemic thirty six festivals and in twenty twenty three, more than sixty to date in twenty twenty four. That brings the total number of festival closures either due to cancelation or post pullment up to one hundred and ninety two since twenty nineteen, one hundred and ninety two festivals. Some may argue that, well, damn, you shouldn't have had that many festivals, Coachella, Lollapalooza, and of course the infamous burning Man with the most on brand people that go that call themselves burners. Now, I don't want to sit here and make fun of you burners, because I'm pretty sure.
Speaker 4: A lot of y'all listen to this show number one and number two.
Speaker 3: I don't know if there's anybody more free, anybody more comfortable in their own skin.
Speaker 4: Listen.
Speaker 3: This might sound like a joke, Okay, I'm dead serious. It's like the white guy with dreadlocks. I mean, white people with dreads are just most of the time, Okay, Like this may sound like a joke, I'm deadly serious. They be so okay with themselves and will do whatever they got to do to continue to stay present and be cool with themselves, no notes. It's the guy doing hypostatic breath work, freestyling for way too long in the dig redoce section. You know what I'm saying, Like he's super okay with himself anyway. Burning Man for the first time since twenty eleven, did not sell out for the first time, And the tickets are usually released in tears and some go on sale in the beginning of the year, and then this part I'm getting from the Guardian, but the main starting in April, right, which typically gets snapped up in minutes, like Burning Man sells out in minutes. Seventy three thousand people are able to attend Burning Man, but this first time since twenty eleven, they did not sell out. Coachella saying they saw a fifteen percent decline in tickets. It's the biggest festival in North America. Coachella is fifteen percent ticket decline. Festivals were a way for you to discover new music, to meet new friends.
Speaker 4: It's like camp for like your twenties.
Speaker 3: You know, you get to wear your dumb ass outfits, right, you get to stand out in the sun, you get to drink, you get to day drink, and you get to just lose your mind for a little bit.
Speaker 4: This might be the end, the endling.
Speaker 3: You may have attended your last music festival as we know it. So the question is why who killed the music festival? Why is the festival not festiving it? Why is it not festive? Why can't y'all sell no tickets? Do we not like music anymore? Do you like music?
Speaker 4: Still? I thought, I still like? Do you like music? Still? What the hell happened in y'all?
Speaker 2: Oh? Oh oh oh oh?
Speaker 4: We'd back back back back, yack back uh erh.
Speaker 3: To understand the future as to what the hell happened, we have to ask ourselves how we even.
Speaker 4: Got here such a nerd I am.
Speaker 3: I don't think I need to tell you what a music festival is, because I mean, I think you know what it is. It's an incredibly overpriced concert that features maybe four groups that you like, where you are going to stand outdoors somewhere brave the weather day, drink and then get to lose your mind for the last like three hours and just really enjoy, you know, a moment that you'll really never forget. Depending on how nasty and ratchet you are, how outside you are, you might look up. You know what I'm saying, I don't. Look, it's none of my business. I suggest you don't. That's just me being an old head. But either way, man, they're a great time. But please understand that festivals, music festivals go like back to get this, five eighty two b C. At least according to white people's history, because you know, silly you, nothing happened anywhere else.
Speaker 4: Except for Europe.
Speaker 3: That was music festivals in Africa, Central South America, Asia, no nowhere else.
Speaker 4: It don't.
Speaker 3: History started in Greece. We were too busy building pyramids.
Speaker 6: Right anyway, I'm gonna lead out put oh, but every cracking you up. They'd be like the first music festival on record in ancient Greece during the Pytheon Games, which is fine, it's it's fine, it's fine, but understand, at the way the world just the only one.
Speaker 3: That ever happened anyway, So five eighty two BC, right, And like the Olympic Games, the Pytheon Games took place every four years and included poetry reading, a speech, right, and other musical game like competitions. People gathered to enjoy, like hymns and instruments instrumental performances at the Apollo at the Apollo I'm So Black dedicated to Apollo, which was the god of arts and music. Now fast forward to the seventeenth century, where you have like classical music festivals and like the type of like exclusivity right where like when in the seventeenth century when like classical music just basically ate Europe and music festivals originally were like supposed to be a gathering where people could, like what you think, gather and celebrate music.
Speaker 4: However, here's where it starts coming into focus.
Speaker 3: The wealthcap was widening across Europe, so festivals gradually became kind of like how they are where they're a little bit exclusive, catering primarily to more higher educated upper class. And the shift became apparent as events became more exclusive and had increasingly restricted access. This is from ndlbeast dot com. They have a whole section on like the history of music festivals. One could argue, like this like the prototype of like the VIP section. You know, I'm saying, like, you know, you can get the pit tickets or you can stand outside with the pores and just listen from the outside. So this trend kind of continued for centuries where like a lead class. I think almost like was the beginning of the breaking of music in general. They were control the access to culture. I have a friend that wrote a book called Don't Be Precious. Now, me and this friend differ in a lot of ways, but he's just a punk rock dude, and his approach to making art is like, you can't have this like restricting access, right because it becomes it just like upper class art is this creation of the leisure class, because one they have the patron to pay for them to be able to sit down and contemplate the stars, like you got all precious about it, you feel me. So some of that has to do with again, the wealth gap. So when you restrict access to hearing music, it draws deeper into the divides between like the educated upper class and then the traveling folk musicians who performed for the commoners. And that's like this stuff you see on you know, corny little movies. Then the world wars come, right, and there's like a music revival, right. So when the First World War broke out, obviously change of lifestyle meaning everything went to like you know, war effort. So this is a really interesting quote. It says, I'm the same MDL beast. As society focused on wartime efforts and staying safe, the exclusivity of music festivals to the upper class disappeared. In a turn of events, the working class population was now turning to music more than ever. Jazz and folk emerged as popular genres right to avoid the scrutiny of the elite. Groups of musicians with similar tastes would gathering diede bars and underground clubs. By the time the war had ended, jazz has cemented itself as the genre of the era. So now we're talking Harlem Renaissance, juke joints, and the emergence of like again this where black people come in a lot of times the role that just the all out anti black racism has unintentionally because of it, created some of the most dopest things, some of the most dopest American experiences. Or I just read up on how with HBCUs which are historic black colleges that now white people trying to attend. They like your school of fund well, because we wasn't allowed it yours anyway, So let me continue. So, World War two played a pivotal role in creating the Newport Folk Festival, organized by Lewis and Elaine Lauryland, a couple met during World War Two and came together to revolutionized Rhode Island's music artistic community by promoting jazz with the foundation in as in blues, in country and pop music. They expanded to attract over eleven thousand people in nineteen fifty four. Then the sixties the birth of the modern music festival. Right obviously Woodstock, which was the invention Monterey International Pop Music Festival. This is the rock festival as we know it, Jimmy Hendrix, Janis Joplin who it was the place to be a cultural experience as we know it. Again is that then you got like the Berlin Wall in the music revolution. This is where festivals become political and cultural. They become a statement and a big one was in the nineties when they did the Berlin Wall tearing Down Music Festival, which was an amazing thing, right where underground stations, power plants, World War Two bunkers and abandoned buildings all started to serve as makeshift concert halls. This is why Europe became such a place for music festivals. It became a sign of freedom and solidarity. And then the music festival took a shit. They just died in the nineties after this all can be explained in when they tried to redo Woodstock just a shit show with like Limp Biscuit.
Speaker 4: And all them you a shit show.
Speaker 3: There's a documentary on Netflix about the absolute disaster that that new Woodstock was, y'all. I'm talking like y'all thought Astro World was bad where them kids was raising so much and people die. You talking about understaffed. Y'all think Firefest was a disaster, my nigger, Well, nah, I don't think anything was worse than firefests so far a good thing.
Speaker 4: It didn't happen like y'all remember Firefest?
Speaker 3: Oh lord, honestly, I can't believe I made it almost twenty minutes into this and then mentioned Firefest because it is the perfect example of what went wrong in the music festival world. Because, like I said, this disaster in the nineties to two thousands, if you were able to survive like I said earlier, like the Bonnarous Coachella's Austin City limits, if you were able to survive Lollapalooza, then you came out the other end and became the go to places.
Speaker 4: Right, tell your ride for folk music.
Speaker 3: You became the go to places that if you were going to try to have a career.
Speaker 4: As an artist, you have to play one of these festivals.
Speaker 3: No matter how much money you don't make at these things, you have to do it because this is where not only do you get the necessary co sign, you also get discovered. Like as far as fans like, you make new fans, you se merge people, walk away with the T shirt. You're on this T shirt that says Bonnarou twenty twenty one, and your name is so like even if you're way down on the bottom, Grab your little screenshots, take your little Instagram photos, because now you're in the game.
Speaker 4: And the game it.
Speaker 3: Was, which leads us to what went wrong because this was not only a money making endeavor. This was a money making endeavor in twenty fourteen, are y'all ready for this? I don't think you ready for this? In the boom years, according to an analysis done by a Finance Buzz, in twenty fourteen, general emission prices for major and music festivals increased by fifty five percent that outpaced just inflation period, y'all jacked up the price. So listen, So if your ja rule head ass, of course I'm gonna build a festival. You're looking at Burning Man, You're looking at Bonnarou, You're looking at all these things.
Speaker 4: You're like, bro, let's just get an island and make a festival. There's so much money to be made.
Speaker 3: But you know what, capitalism being capitalism, it's gonna keep capitalism.
Speaker 4: Let's talk about what killed the festival.
Speaker 3: Oh oh, oh, oh, you see, I just did my own fade out and fade in music. Y'all see that. No, don't ask me what note that was. So what killed the festival? There one number of things. First of all, yo, ask for not going I'm just kidding. I'm just kidding. We're not blaming the victims here. Some of these answers are pretty obvious, like again, you know astra World like, but astral World is just a good picture of everything that went wrong in the concept of a music festival. So the first problem is, yeah, capitalism, sometimes you are led to believe that what is will always be right. That's what a stable economy lulls you into believing. But anybody that knows how money works, it's booms and busts, the bubble will pop, and how a bubble pops is almost always our own fault in this sense, the housing bubble, you know of two thousand and eight when your mama and him lost their house because the reality was they shouldn't have never got that loan in the first place. These people knew good and well that you was not able to keep up with that mortgage. But we were selling too many houses. It was going too good. So the thing was for almost the you know, almost a decade, you couldn't make enough festivals. The industry couldn't keep up with the demand. And yo, this the blog error. This the two Doe Boys. Yeah, Pitchfork like this the blog error.
Speaker 4: You know what I'm saying. When Fader was like a thing that you would want to go soon.
Speaker 3: So like it all kind of worked together around this time before all these spots got bought out hip hop DX, like all these pages got bought out. Like I said before, it was like this boom in twenty fourteen of a trillion festivals that started happening. Now what happened was ticket prices. This's the first one. We're making so much money. You realize, Dang, if I charge one hundred, I bet you I could charge to hundred if I charged doing it, I bet you I could charge foe hundred because if you charge foe hun and then I could argue I'm getting bigger acts. So in the boom years, according to this analysis by Finance, buzz ticket prices since twenty fourteen for most music festivals increased by fifty five percent. Like that's super outpacing even inflation in the same time period. This isn't like cost the living type shit type beat.
Speaker 4: No oh, I'm raping y'all.
Speaker 3: Do you know that Burning Man cost five hundred and seventy five dollars to go to If you was going, you was probably gonna make some sort of like art installation to destroy you doing that all your own money, which meant what.
Speaker 4: Same thing happened in the seventeenth century.
Speaker 3: It just becomes a place for the elite because can't nobody else afford to go. You know what else happened to a lot of festivals is corporation's bottom. You know who bought complex BuzzFeed and you know who bought it from buzzfeedn't work.
Speaker 4: Nt WRK, It's an investment firm.
Speaker 3: You know who owns the Pitchfork Festival, Condy nast a media company. They bought the blog and folded it into GQ. It's just a corporation. Capitalism. Capitalism broke the festivals under the banner of capitalism, not so much the cost of the ticket and the soaring cost of living.
Speaker 4: It also costs too much to make the festival.
Speaker 3: To John Roston, he's the CEO that AIF, the Independent Association of Festivals.
Speaker 4: He says, the toilet higher, I just need to buy porter potties.
Speaker 3: In twenty twenty one was twenty eight thousand dollars for the exact same amount of toilets at twenty twenty four is fifty four thousand dollars. That's just the toilets. You know what happened at Astro World. He ain't have enough security. It costs so much you honestly cannot afford to put together a festival that will be alluring enough to consumers to justify spending that much money. So what do you get? A gang of corporate sponsors? And you know what a gang of corporate sponsors at a music festival is whack. It's a horrible ass experience because you're just watching a gang of commercials. Sometimes it just be labels who be putting on these artists that they trying to bring, and then the artists be trash. They don't be trash because they trash. They be trash because they're not ready for this size stage. They ain't put in the work. They didn't do the Gurney, Illinois experience that I think I've told before. What is the most terrifying experience I've ever had on tour? You don't had him experiences. You ain't played shows when it's more people at the bar, or there's more people that work there then come to see you. You're not ready for no festival stage, so it's just not fun for the concer. So I'm not gonna buy it. You can't justify this price. If I'm gonna spend that much money, I need to really, really, really really.
Speaker 4: Like this band. This need to be my favorite artist.
Speaker 3: I'm not finna stand around twelve hours pay this much money to really only see one act I like.
Speaker 4: That don't make no damn sense.
Speaker 3: And we'll talk about why they only like that one artist a little bit later, So remember this point I'm making. The second and most obvious one is COVID, which leads into the third and fourth, you had to cancel stuff.
Speaker 4: Nobody knew this was coming. Like the el's companies took.
Speaker 3: I canceled a tour. Not only I canceled a tour, I released the poetry book that I couldn't tour. I mean I personally lost tens of thousands, maybe even hundreds of thousands of dollars in touring revenue, in book sales, in merch sales, and all of it. Like, I lost so much because you just had to, and I'm still trying to get that money back. A lot of festivals just have never been able to make their money back from what they lost, so there's not enough money now. Obviously, when the pandemic ended, there was a lot of pent up.
Speaker 4: Energy to be like, I need to go outside.
Speaker 3: But that's because me and you didn't spend two years of our high school experience, our two first years of college stuck at home. Remember that's the time when you get the taste to go outside, when you start finding your drinking buddies, yo outside friends, your music friends. You have to remember those years, dude, did Those years are when you're discovering All research says it's like your taste in music happens in those years. Right, If I were to ask you what your favorite area of music, most likely it's not always, but most likely it was like the music you listened to in the eleventh grade, it's probably your favorite era. Whatever you was listening to the n is probably still your favorite era. Now, obviously that's not true for everybody. But hey, if you were seventeen you were discovering new music, you want to go to like the Cornerhouse of Blues, right, you know this is obviously I'm California centric.
Speaker 4: You wanted to hit the Glasshouse. Man?
Speaker 3: Could you just heard about this new band? Little stings like that, the Dragonfly, Whiskey of Go Go, the Viper Room, all these like smaller spots that when for us out of La these were like rights a passage. This is how you get to say I saw them win. I knew who Will I Am was for the Black Eyed Peas because I saw him at the Little Temple which is now called the Virgil when he did a beat battle. They were at the corner, you know what I'm saying, And it was fun. I knew Foster of the people. They're in San Diego.
Speaker 4: You would just drive down like just at the gas lamp like Leon bridges Hell. He opened for us. You know what I'm saying, Like.
Speaker 3: Again, like we said in the earlier these these bands that you was passionate about. You was seventeen with your little Emo hare swooped over your eyes this or you was crying over you understand what I'm saying, Like hugging onto your little iPad, you know, doing that MySpace picture when you looking down. You know it's the white people think like this is when you went to go see them. If that era for you was a pandemic, you didn't acquire a taste for going out like that.
Speaker 4: You saw concerts inside a fortnite.
Speaker 3: So what I'm saying is one of the biggest things about gen Z is they don't go out.
Speaker 4: It's just it's just the reality. Not only do it ain't got no money.
Speaker 3: They ain't got no money because again inflation and fine, the cost of living is insane. But look it, gen Z don't drink like we used to drink. They do fewer drugs, they have less sex. Part of that is because one they hella anxious and.
Speaker 4: I don't blame them.
Speaker 3: I'm looking at my daughter now and I'm like, I'm sorry, baby, you probably not gonna buy no house ever. I don't even know when you're gonna move out. I don't know what to tell you. I'm not mad. I ain't gonna push you out of this house, because where you're gonna go, you're gonna get seven roommates.
Speaker 4: I don't know what to tell you. I'm sorry.
Speaker 3: They do fewer drugs, they drink less, and they don't go nowhere because one, they anxious as hell. They nervous around being around that many people. And if they are gonna go out, if you ask them, the number one thing they say is like, I ain't got nobody to go with I mean I could go. I ain't got nobody to go with you, cause you ain't got no friends. You don't go nowhere, right. I've been looking at my own child, like why you here?
Speaker 4: Cuz, like don't you you're a go nowhere.
Speaker 3: She's starting to now, but listen, you gotta really really, really really.
Speaker 4: Really want to see this person that you're going to see.
Speaker 3: She bought Billie Eilis tickets in February the concert next month. She decided, if I'm gonna spend this money this one, I'm gonna spend it on right, because it's.
Speaker 4: Worth her money.
Speaker 3: She loves them, she loves her, she got the album, she went to the listening party, She's like, this is who I'm gonna go see. They don't look and see who's playing, or just pull up at adult music spot and just be like, oh, one, who's playing. I'm gonna discover new music. Now that don't happen. You can't put on no festival if people ain't willing to come, which leads me to one of the other problems they did, which is the music industry itself. It is shocked themselves in the foot because the big dogs, just like I said happened in the seventeen hundreds, are doing fine. If Live Nation and ticket Master own every venue, they only gonna put the artists that they won't own their it costs too much.
Speaker 4: So they're like, I understand what's going on with y'all festivals.
Speaker 3: I know we doing all right, because if you are an industry artist with the machine behind you, number one, you don't need a festival.
Speaker 4: You booked the Greek theater yourself.
Speaker 3: Why would I allow myself as an artist for you to pay me?
Speaker 4: Guess who turned down Coachella next year? Rihanna and Kendrick.
Speaker 3: Why would either of them play that when they know they can be the only artist and sell just as many tickets. Kendrick played Staples. I'm calling his Staples because I'm from LA. I know it's just a corporation. He played Staples four nights in a row where the Lakers played, but that was after doing four nights at the Honda Center in Orange County. These are eight Southern California shows, sold them all out. Why the hell would I give that money to Coachella when I could do it myself. Live Nation already taking a huge ass cut. Ticketmaster already taking a huge ass cut. Scalper's already taking a huge ass cut. There's no reason for me to give my time and my ticket draw to you when they can all go to myself. You did this to yourself music industry by locking out all the small venues. You know what else the music industry did to itself streaming the algorithm that also killed the festival. You know why, because you're fed the same music. Algorithm says you like this, you probably don't like that, which means.
Speaker 4: We know all people be like music all sound the same, because.
Speaker 3: It does because The goal is to play music that feeds the algorithm. You create music that gets your streaming numbers up. This is the point I was making earlier. While you like, I don't know nobody else on this thing, and I'm only really concerned about the headliner. This is the point I was making earlier. Algorithm, you create music that works on TikTok. So music has this formula. They did the same thing with coffee shops. You know why coffee shops look like brutaliss mid century, all of them Instagram. We're all looking at the same aesthetic. So therefore all coffee shops look the same. The same thing happened with music the algorithm. So you have these entire very specific niches. But can everyone in your weird niche. Are there thirty artists in your very weird niche that can bring ten thousand people out to a field? No, because there's only forty of y'all that like this music that's online streaming. There's no human editorial, there's no DJ that's saying, yo, dude, long, look at this.
Speaker 4: No, look at this.
Speaker 3: You're stuck to doing it yourself, and hopefully you can climb out your algorithm, right J McDonald says, a genre unfocused festival poster lineup starts to just look like a playlist that has been made and personalized for somebody else. Okay, you want to do a genre specific one, let's just say, okay, kpop fly on and acts from Korea? How much you're gonna sell all these tickets for? How many k pop acts do you get?
Speaker 4: You don't book nobody local? Do you how much money that would cost? Or you say I'm gonna do a k pop day? All right?
Speaker 3: So you do a three day festival. One day's k pop, one day's EDM, one day's hip hop.
Speaker 4: Uh, nobody's bout a three day pass.
Speaker 3: So one day might be trash And how do you build it? What does the flyer look like? I don't know half of these people. I ain't never even heard of that. No single act can sell a festival, and if you try to do a multi different act thing, it's just gonna confuse the consumer. So if you're putting on the festival, your only option is to just go big. This has to do with money, So you are going to overspend, right, because it's like, how are you gonna get people here? You get Taylor Swift. Do you know how much money you gotta offer somebody like a Taylor Swift for her to give her performance to your festival rather than just to do her own show.
Speaker 4: And the consumer says, again, is this worth my money?
Speaker 3: I'm willing to throw this money at this big act because that's what the Alcali, that's.
Speaker 4: Who I know.
Speaker 3: They're not gonna risk no more because music discovery is now algorithmic. You're not just gonna go pull up at a spot and be like, who's this open or they're dope. The industry did it to itself. You killed your own performance market. And because Live Nation brought up all the small venues where artists really get their chops and really create fan bases and really you get to discover and make connections with it, there's no places for them to play. All that's left are the big industry artists and why again would they give their ticket sales to a festival? And lastly, climate change. It's hot as hell. The last two burning bands poured rain and flooded. Before that, it was like one hundred and twenty nine million degrees.
Speaker 4: It's hot.
Speaker 3: It's too hot to be out there like this climate y'all, and enough water. It's hot as hell. It's hot as hell, or it's floody. It's hot or it's floody. Ain't no more nice days outside. I find the stand outside all day. You crazy?
Speaker 4: You gonna make me pay extra for shade. It's an extra one hundred dollars so I can have a humbrother. I'm good. Just hold on, we're staying home. Staying home.
Speaker 3: Okay, now again, let's rebuild the world. What can we do better? That's in our control. So festivals might be done, but it doesn't mean we don't still love music. If you're a music lover, here are some suggestions I can give you that would keep your favorite bands in the game. The first is the easiest one for you, which of course, is buying or streaming their music. If you're gonna stream, here's the thing, dude, I'm not an old guy to say that, like your release Radar or your New Music Friday, that algorithmic playlist that's like customized just for you, it's great. My request that I think would help is this. If a song pops on and you dig it, save it number one, and then too, go to the album, go to that artist's page and give them a follow and listen to the album. You heard the song, the song was dope, and if it really resonate, I'm not begging you to do something that you don't like, listen to that album, you know the whole Like artists blowing up on TikTok. That's why Universal was just like man tried to dead all that, you know, So if the artist blows up on TikTok, you you really like that, it's not like yo, like go to that artist page, go to their music like, you know.
Speaker 4: Instead of just like shooting a video like that. Stuff's short lived.
Speaker 3: If you're artists, like obviously you hope that one day that happens, but that's not sustainable. You can't tour off that. That's what happened to a lot of ours. Why I Spice cancel half for tour dates is because there's not songs.
Speaker 4: There's TikTok audios. You feel me.
Speaker 3: That helps the artists know when they try to go get a show that they can prove that, like, hey, listen, these are listeners. When you go to my Spotify page, we go to any Spotify page, the first number you see is monthly listeners but that don't mean followers. I have this weird upside down thing. Most people have more monthly listeners than followers. I'm the opposite. I have three times more followers than monthly listeners, which means these people are going to be alerted when I drop music. Why I have that is because I toured so hard. I played every possible dumb, ugly venue I possibly could, like, gotted out the mud, shook hands, stayed after, stayed at the merch table, took pictures, got email addresses, got phone numbers, came back, you know, signed everything. I would stay after the show for an extra hour until everybody got their picture and everybody got their stuff signed, hard fought so that way, You're right, I'm not cranking out music that feeds the algorithm.
Speaker 4: You're right. But when I drop an album, they no.
Speaker 3: So my request as the consumer is follow that artist like close to the album. And secondly, the most obvious one is like dude by merch. Oh my god, y'all, I'm saying like merch has been the difference between car insurance and not. For me, merch has been the difference between can my daughter stay in her you know, dance class her after school, like ballet class. Merch Like merch is how we paid for our daughters. So during the pandemic, hell merch it paid our rent because all he had. Now, as an artist, you need to have dope merch.
Speaker 4: That's what I mean.
Speaker 3: If your merch sucks, that I mean, it is what it is. I can't ask you to, you know, purchase something that's trash. Artists make dope merch. You know, I have vinyl. Vinyl costs a lot, but you can go to my website there's vinyl like that stuff.
Speaker 4: Those make a difference.
Speaker 3: And then I'd also ask, like, if you really dig an artist, this is on the artist's job to like sign up for their newsletter, find out when they're touring, and just and go to their shows. And when you get there like another game. I think I told this on the Politics podcast too, where it's like most of the time as the artist, I keep the door like meaning the ticket sales, and then the venue keeps the bar.
Speaker 4: So their thing is like, well, they're going to make a ton of money on the bar.
Speaker 3: But that's how I get to come back is if this venue says, oh, yeah, he brought you know, three hundred people here, they respected my staff, they bought drink and me as an artist, my team, I'd be silly on stage, but we're very, very professional. I take my reputation very serious. We make sure that like the talent buyer, the venues, everybody taken care of.
Speaker 4: We're not yelling at the sound man. You know, we keep a clean green room.
Speaker 5: Like.
Speaker 3: Those are things you could do as an artist, but as a consumer, like I know the algorithm's fighting against you, but like, if you really like a group, go out of your way, even if it's on the discovery things. Again, the big people is easy. Beyonce's tickets are gonna come find you. You ain't gotta go find them. But Johnny Swim but the hot shakes, right, that's what they call go find them because at the end of the day, it's your presence. If you're gonna stay in music, you have to get butts in seats. Is this for us to save music festivals? I don't care they did that to themselves. I'm just trying to save live music because truly, truly, there is nothing like it.
Speaker 1: Oh oh oh oh oh oh, it could happen.
Speaker 7: Here is a production of cool Zone Media. For more podcasts, from cool Zone Media. Visit our website folzonmedia dot com, or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcasts, or wherever you listen to podcasts. You can now find sources for it could happen here, listed directly in episode descriptions. Thanks for listening.