Speaker 1: Hi, I'm Slum. I'm fifteen years old and I love basketball. Today on the show, we have Chanay Aguo mackay Toanay is a two time WNBA All Star, ESPN analyst and social justice advocate.
Speaker 2: She was also the.
Speaker 1: Number one overall pick in the twenty fourteen WNBA draft and since has become one of the most recognizable faces in women's basketball. We'll find out what she was like when she was fifteen and see if she has any tips for me as a new and up and coming broadcaster. Okay Toay, So here's where I want to start off. Like when I do anything with my brother, and I mean anything, play Monopoly, play like FIFA, play like football in our backyard, Like we can't go a second without getting in a fight a second. I don't understand how you are on a professional sports team with your sister. I mean, you guys went to college together, you played high school together, and both of you still are able to shine.
Speaker 3: How is that possible?
Speaker 4: So it's funny because I think the bigger testament is that we've never even gotten into fights from being competitive, meaning like we learned to play basketball together. It wasn't like those I feel like we're the only siblings that had the non backyard battle, meaning like, oh, let me teach you how to dribble, let me teach you how to shoot, so that when we go and play together we can kill these fos. This was like a teacher student because my sister, Okay, this is a crazy story hunting. So the first time I ever played basketball, they put us in there because my mom heard from a friend that, oh, why do you have your fworker. She was like, you guys are too tall for basketball. I mean, you guys are too tall for gymnastics. Put them into basketball. So we went to the basketball That first practice was trauma because I only like, and this is probably very similar to you, I only like doing things that I know I'm good at, So like, that's why I don't all That's why exactly, that's why I don't play video games that much because I don't have the time to perfect it. So going out there and playing basketball is like I don't want to go out there and shoot air balls and and like not be great. Yeah, and my sister, she's a curious one. She's the oldest child and we always say she's a guinea pig. So she went out there and did it, and so she really taught us everything she knew because she started finding a love for the game and was like, we do everything together. Yeah, So it's always been like about sisterhood, about love. It's never been like, oh, I'm trying to cross you up and score and say I'm the better player. It's just naturally happened where that mindset has taken us to new heights, like literally riding her coat tails has made all of us great.
Speaker 1: And I guess also because you guys have been on the same team so many times, that's different. But like I love watching Steph and Seth go at it, but they've never been on the same team, so I guess it's maybe a little different. Whereas for you, well, we were on different teams for a little yea, yes, but more a little lot of experience. We've had a lot of Yeah, like my whole life high school, AAU college, which was awesome. The first time we were on different teams, it was still cool, like it was literally a circus.
Speaker 2: The first time we played against each other.
Speaker 4: I will never forget twenty fourteen, So this is when I graduated from Stanford, I got drafted, and our first matchup. The league was blowing it out because they're like, to our siblings, you made history the only other siblings to go number one in major sports, Peyton and Eli.
Speaker 1: So they built up this game and it was cool because Peyton and who's Eli?
Speaker 4: Oh, who's Peyton. I'm totally Eli. But the problem is she has a championship, so like she's got like the states ship. But I, you know, and like I'm the personality, you know what I'm saying, So you'll get a ring.
Speaker 3: I'm long please Lord.
Speaker 4: But yeah, so when we, uh, when we faced off for the first time, it was madness, like family members, media, all this stuff. The game was actually our piece. We're like, oh, it's just us two together, like, let's just go out there. That's when things calmed down. We didn't have to think about all this circus around it. I'll never forget jump all happened. And of course, like I don't even think I was supposed to be guarding Mecca that first possession. But like the least script, the script.
Speaker 3: You're doing the jump balls, like, Okay, let's see what.
Speaker 2: Y'all are doing.
Speaker 4: I knew she was gonna get the jump because has higher bounce to me, I have longer reached. She has higher bound both six to no, so I'm taller than Thatka. A lot of people don't realize that I'm the all this of us for siblings, I'm like six three.
Speaker 2: Was like, yeah, I'm barefoot six two.
Speaker 3: Actually, you don't know.
Speaker 4: Some crazy I listed myself at six four in college just because I wanted to see more into me.
Speaker 1: I'm a big platform shoe girl, like I don't wearthot, so I feel like also is a little bit of a different situation than like going from.
Speaker 2: Exactly.
Speaker 4: So that first matchup, we did the jump ball and Neka got it, so I knew I was anticipating it, and we were running back and I looked at her and I was like, oh my gosh, I can't believe we're like playing against each other for the first time. She did not see me, she did not hear me. She proceeded to get that first possession, which they knew what they were doing. The Sparks had Necka get the ball in the mid post. She hit me with the jab mid range Swiss. And at that moment, when I saw that shot go up and I was guarding her.
Speaker 3: I was like, I gotta go, Okay, So I got I had this sibling fight, but it.
Speaker 4: Has been contained to gain and I took a lot of ls until actually, like you know, we got a couple wins versus the sparks, and then I joined.
Speaker 1: And now you just can't beat him, join him, right, exactly, right, Yeah, I won't.
Speaker 3: Be doing that with my brother.
Speaker 1: I don't foresee that for you, especially well for multiple reasons. But so as you know, I'm fifteen and I'm ninth grade. Sometimes fifteen year olds are in tenth grade. I'm just setting the senior for you. But I like to start off asking about you when you were fifteen, So I just want to know, first off.
Speaker 3: Who were you, what were your interests everything?
Speaker 4: When I was fifteen years old, I was a nerd. I did not have all of this like down, I did not have this together. Thank you Lord for the glow ups.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 4: I was probably the so freshman or sophomore class president. I was founding the civil rights member my school. Yeah okay, cool, yeah, civil Rights Club, student council, honor society. Heavy nerd okay, but then also heavy hooper. So it's like hard to those two like don't really class exactly, but I was like the tallest girl in my class. And this is when I just transitioned. So I went from private school to public school. Okay, so private school, I was the only black girl in my class. Like it was a different experience. I wasn't like getting picked to dance and the dance. And then I go to public school. I'm like, it's a whole new world, Like, let's go.
Speaker 3: This is where the glow up happens.
Speaker 2: This is where well, no, the glow up didn't happen till like a couple of years ago.
Speaker 3: So okay. I mean I feel like.
Speaker 2: You kids are built different. You're built different.
Speaker 4: You have access to the internet, you have all those things we just had our parents saying you look amazing, sweetie, no trauma.
Speaker 3: Yeah well no, I was saying.
Speaker 1: There's this thing on TikTok where you can if you press the share button, apparently you'll get a glow up. It's like this thing where people like basically gaslight you into liking their videos. But like I, of course, every day I'm like, no you, okay, thank you.
Speaker 3: I love you.
Speaker 4: You look natural, cute, like appropriate age, like you've got it all together.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 4: Some people look way too far at their age. Yes, but you are You've got it all. You've got it all.
Speaker 3: I appreciate the left. So what's your dream college?
Speaker 1: Stanford before your sister had gone, because I know you'd turned down you know, Yukon and noted Dame but from Texas, Like that's sort of a long way to go to be like I'm going to go to Stanford, you know.
Speaker 4: So I turned down Yukon because I and it was a crazy official recruiting visit. So all these girls went on this one big Yukon visit. They all came with their parents and at that time, Yukon was the destination for all top players, Like it doesn't matter how many they had. Everyone said yes to coach Gino. I will never forget I was a last recruit going into his office. All the other women that went in there like came out crying and happy, like I'm coming to Yukon. You know what that means. I'm going to be a national champion, I'm gonna get drafted. And I was the only one without my parents on that trip. And so I went in there and I saw coach Gino and he had by myself and all those trophies behind him, and all he said when I came in was are you coming dang?
Speaker 3: Like scene set like bam.
Speaker 4: And I never can make a decision without my parents without telling them, like, hey, this is how I'm just that type of person. I just wanted my family involved, and so I had to, you know, maneuver my way out of there and just say like I really like I saw him eye to eye. I loved this competitive fire. He understood the aspect of me. But I was like, I don't think you know this is going to work out. I didn't tell him then, but I was like, I need to go talk to my family. So no, yukon. I knew I wasn't going to Notre Dame. Right when I landed. I landed in South Bend, a whole bunch of snow Texas girl, yes African girl.
Speaker 3: I was like, hold up, what is this where am I?
Speaker 4: I love the school, I love the university, but I just was like, this is different. And then Stanford was just a dream, you know, he was a dream come true. So I never thought like I didn't really have this idea of dream schools. I just thought that Stanford was a fit for everything I wanted academically, and athletically, and the only other school that I really wanted to go to was Harvard. For Harvard, they have a different you know, scholarship setup. Yes, and so it's like okay, financially exactly and it's a little bit more complicated. I was like, you know, what if I can make it easier on my parents who could pay, But I'm like, I don't want to put my position, you know, my parents in that position.
Speaker 3: I was like, Stanford just it's a bazy and basketball.
Speaker 4: Course had the name, but like the name, but like you know, coming from like African family that like academics is king to say you went to Harvard is like.
Speaker 3: At this point, it's ultimate flex. It's just like Stanford now.
Speaker 2: Is like top two for sure.
Speaker 3: That works.
Speaker 1: So who were your idols at fifteen? Basketball and non basketball?
Speaker 4: Dang, Flash is like this is blast from the past. My idols at fifteen?
Speaker 2: WHOA?
Speaker 4: I'm trying to think of like what I was watching on television. I was like, probably watching I mean we had a very lockdown house. I was like, probably still watching Disney Channel and all that stuff.
Speaker 1: I don't know what y'all Disney Channel, Okay, I love Disney I'm employed by Disney, so I guess it all worked out.
Speaker 2: I'm trying to think who are my idols?
Speaker 4: And I mean I always had a distant idol who has become my real life mentor at least a lessons wow, Because when I started playing basketball, I was like, Hey, this woman embodies everything that I want to be.
Speaker 3: Fierce, feminine, entrepreneur.
Speaker 4: Broadcaster, mom, wife, sister, like literally everything she has done. Yeah, And so I was like she set the template for what and also being like a dark skinned black woman achieving and she was a model, you know what I mean, like all those things I never even thought were possible once you put on a jersey, and she put on a jersey and she did them all. So I think seeing her, I didn't even process it back then what that meant to me until I met her later, and I was like, oh my god.
Speaker 3: What was that?
Speaker 4: Like, what what went through your head? Okay, So meeting her, I was like, oh, this is unreal. So I met her when I was playing at Stanford. She called she were playing usc and she is, you know, based in LA at the time, and she called my sister and I over and was like, you girls are special.
Speaker 2: Keep going, which was amazing.
Speaker 4: And then ever since then, I stayed in touch and my agent is actually her agent, and so we've really built a family relationship.
Speaker 3: But you know what I love about Lisa Leslie. Forget the hoops.
Speaker 4: She needs her own talk show on relationships and love. She has literally helped you know when your parents tell you something like oh no no, not not cupid, but more like eanla, like fix my life, like relationship advice. It's like that type of stuff, personal growth stuff like go to Lisa Leslie, tell you tell her your personal life situation and she will give you good ways to go through it.
Speaker 2: So ever since I've been a rookie in the w BA, I go to her.
Speaker 4: I hang out with her, and I never ever talk who and it's like, literally been one of the most meaningful relations.
Speaker 1: But I'm sure that's also amazing because so much of your life is talking basketball, so having that moment is just you know, I got to I'm saying this as we're talking about you, know, right, So now we've heard about you when you were fifteen, I feel.
Speaker 3: Like we would vibe. I don't know, maybe maybe I was just like a little cooler than you.
Speaker 4: Maybe you were you probably were, but we would have maybe just a lite. No, look, we would have we would have been friends because I was like very much most popular athlete. I just was not like I'll put together you know what I'm saying. I would have like, yeah, you would have helped You would have helped me with that.
Speaker 3: Okay, we could like go back in time.
Speaker 2: We could shop together.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I could.
Speaker 1: Announce for you like wal you yes, you know so now I think we should go onto you now because like fifteen, good age, but you grow up.
Speaker 3: No, So, what was the most memorable play of your career?
Speaker 4: WHOA the most memorable play of my career. That's a great question. I let me think. I'm trying to think, so I think probably the most memorable play. I've had some really big moments, Like winning a state championship when I was in high school was a big moment because I proved to myself that I can do it on my own too, because I did it with my sister and then she left and they're like, how good is her little sister?
Speaker 2: And I was like, we want a state championship.
Speaker 4: The second half of my final game at home when I was at Stamford was huge. We played UNC that got us to the final four. I had a horrible first half and then my big sister Meca came and found me at Stanford as I was about.
Speaker 2: To warm up for the second half and was like.
Speaker 3: What are you doing?
Speaker 4: Just played basketball, don't overthink it. Had a great second half. That was my final game at Maples Pavilion at Stamford and we got to go to the final four my senior year, which was huge. And then I think of I hit a game winner verse my sister and the Sparks when I was on the Connecticut Sun. I think it was an O board or something like that, and like I put it off like bank shot. Maybe they had won, like a couple seconds left to try to heave something, but it didn't work out. And that was fire because that was at Staples at the time, LA those games are rocking. It was against my sister Candas Parker playing against them, and to have that game winner earlier in my career, like I was like, okay, and this.
Speaker 1: Parker was actually the perfect segue into the next question. Because so my next question is what is the most memorable game you've called? But when I said that, I asked this question to candas, I said, what was the most memorable called your career, and she goes, oh, I called Barack Obama and I was like, no, no, not if you can answer both ways.
Speaker 3: But I mean, like when you were on air and you actually but you know what I'd like to hear about.
Speaker 4: I got the Obama tweet after work the election in twenty twenty, which to me was like probably one of the coolest things, like, hey.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was that was up there.
Speaker 3: Hmm.
Speaker 4: I would say the most the game that ooh, I'm trying to think I've had, so I don't I called games.
Speaker 3: But I say the game I was working.
Speaker 2: I'm trying to think of which game I was working.
Speaker 4: Honestly, I don't even know specifically because technically I and now you know, I provide analysis for a lot of games. Yeah, my favorite game ever, I don't know if you're too young for this. Twenty sixteen obviously, well no, you know this, But I was gonna say, Christmas twenty sixteen, Kyrie hit a game winner, which was great.
Speaker 1: Of course, I mean I'm an NBA podcast host, of course, Yes, that Christmas Day game or those Christmas Day jerseys fire.
Speaker 2: I miss those days and those commercials too, and the.
Speaker 3: Long sleeve jerseys. I also loved them, even though wait, wasn't it Bron that like ripped off?
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's definitely it's definitely hard to plan, but like the look it looks.
Speaker 3: It looks good.
Speaker 4: It's very aesthetic for the vibes, bringing back for the vibes. Let them tear it up.
Speaker 2: It's all good. We're gonna be fine.
Speaker 4: I would say my favorite game ever is the twenty sixteen NBA Finals Games seven Lebron James Warriors. You know, you have the stop, the block, the shot, all those things, so that sequence was huge and then getting to break that down after it was huge.
Speaker 1: But like as a Warriors fan there that wasn't huge for me. But I get I get where you're coming from.
Speaker 4: I'll be that, like most of the moments last ten or so years, well they deserve it fine.
Speaker 3: I mean or rings in the last ten years, I've already got.
Speaker 2: To you can't.
Speaker 1: Okay, So what from being a player do you think has helped you most with your announcing? Because I feel like for me, I play soccer not basketball, and like I think I know basketball pretty well, but then there's always that thing where It's like I stopped playing basketball when I was in fourth grade, you know, and a little bit of me is like, I don't feel like I can necessarily connect as well on that, but obviously you can't.
Speaker 3: So what has happened.
Speaker 4: So the thing that has helped me as an athlete to transition to broadcasting is the game mentality. So like when the lights go on and you have to go out there and perform sort of have a routine and you have a mindset and how to approach yourself being as successful as possible. It's like I wake up, I, you know, have my breakfast. I go, I do my treatment, I go, have a great shoot around, I get my nap. I mean nothing, I don't eat. I don't know why I said breakfast, because I'm like, I'm a hot Like this is a very controversial take. I think breakfast is overrated.
Speaker 3: Oh it's disgusting.
Speaker 4: I don't like break not I skip it almost every day. But I do smoothies because like my trainers like, yes, yes, strawberry strawberry, gray's orange and it's a really sweet orange one.
Speaker 2: What is sunrise? It's not sunrise?
Speaker 3: Well, I'm a coconut cloud girl. I'm interesting.
Speaker 1: I know it's like coconut, it doesn't really taste like coconut, it's more okay, so maybe I'll be open minded because I always think coconut if you put it in anything, it takes over.
Speaker 3: So I'm like, okay, no, this is not the way. Okay.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm like an orange sunrise one from Arawon and also like their hot foods by her Oh my.
Speaker 3: God, Buffalo Colie flower from Arawonfo. They have these chickens teqitos too, now like bier.
Speaker 1: By the way, for those of you listening who don't know what aeronin is, areon they know what it is.
Speaker 3: Actually, let's get l knows what aon is, but just in case, let's be inclusive.
Speaker 1: Here arewon is a grocery store just in LA because that's where it's at and they it's very trendy and.
Speaker 3: They girl, it's viral viral bab.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's the one that's all over the internet because someone's like the most expensive grocery store in America. Come inside with me. It's like got a hatley, you know, but it's worth.
Speaker 1: You know who Alex Earl is, No, okay, so shout out Alex Earl if you want to be on. I know it's not basketball, but like love to have you. And anyway, she's an influencer, okay. And I saw her outside of Arawond having a meal with her ex boyfriend and it was very problematic, and I did you report on this?
Speaker 3: I didn't report on it, but I feel like I just did you? Just sorry, Alex.
Speaker 1: But we took a little selfie and it went viral, so it was like, hey, anyway, so I keep.
Speaker 4: Going where we were talking about how payer has helped you out being exactly so yeah, I think that honestly, just having that mindset of preparation, even though I don't eat breakfast, but I get to the gym, I have my smoothie, and then I go and rest, and then I follow up on Scout and I feel I watch a lot of video and then I feel like I'm as prepared as I can't go and yep, the same thing, you know. I watch the games, I text with our producers. I get there earlier than any other analyst gets there. I am like a video of Richard on up Late.
Speaker 2: Richard is not.
Speaker 4: Richard is freaking trauma, but I love him like he's so lovable.
Speaker 2: But he's just like Richard, why do you like?
Speaker 4: Literally he's the rock in everyone's show everywhere, but it's like a rock that you love, right, Okay, so it's all good.
Speaker 3: And his bald head, Oh my gosh.
Speaker 4: And you know what's so weird about Richard's bald head, which some of us know about. It's like when it starts getting hair, it's like it gets little stubble, it gets like stubble, and I'm like, what is that gray thing on your head? Yeah, it's like disturbing. It's very disturbing. Like sometimes so like not you know, he'll have stubble around. I'm like, Richard, no, don't do that.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I know I get there early.
Speaker 2: I talk a lot to the producers, and I feel like I'm.
Speaker 4: The breakdowns, Like I watch the game, I look at the numbers and I really want to break down something so that anyone that comes and watches our show feels like they learned something new, but something fun and something that they can go and say hey and tell their friends, like, oh, did you know that guy is the best defender in the NBA under like these other top two? Oh do you know that guy shooting the most percentage. Do you know eighty is successful because he's shooting the most twos this year, midias since twenty fifteen. Like, I have all these numbers catalogs, and so when people watch the game, they have something to watch for.
Speaker 2: And that's what I love.
Speaker 3: I love that. So now we're moving on to my favorite segment.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we all know the NBA is a league a very talented men, also very very beautiful men.
Speaker 4: I saw your bio on your podcast and I was like, takes hotter than Kelly.
Speaker 3: Uver was like, oh, I was like, we're gonna have to do this. Takes hotter than Kelly.
Speaker 1: You reginor so like I said, I mean, they're they're really really hot. Takes green eyes, had twos, sometimes bleached blonde, Harriet depends, he goes back and forth.
Speaker 3: You know what I mean. The best fits on league fits like this is is.
Speaker 1: Hey, I'm telling you, so, let's start off with this.
Speaker 3: But you gotta you gotta get hot.
Speaker 1: Okay, Okay, I'll get because not a lot of things are hard than this is a safe space.
Speaker 2: Okay, even though it's going out, it's the world.
Speaker 1: It's a safe space, safe space for all of us other than you and your sister. Who is the best athlete with Nigerian descent?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: Snap?
Speaker 4: So I mean the answer is wow, I don't want to do any disservice because like Nigerians are like now taking over as superhuman athletes like period. I mean, you can't watch a college football game without seeing multiple Nigerians. Yeah, you can't watch a basketball game these days without seeing Nigerians everywhere. And so I don't want to do a disservice. I feel like the obvious answer is Jannis on to Kombo just because of his trans transformation.
Speaker 3: If you see that rookie picture of Yannis, oh my god.
Speaker 4: And you see him now, it's so only Goosey and NIGERIANUU will do that for you.
Speaker 2: Wow, okay, that's you gotta eat it. I'll take you there. I do get cuisine here?
Speaker 3: Do you do an episodisode? You've seen that?
Speaker 4: I feel like you've seen that Lori Harvey TikTok of her going to the Nigerian restaurant and eating the goosie with their hands in the Yeah, you gotta try that.
Speaker 3: Riy Harvey's X also pretty hot.
Speaker 1: So you know, we gotta wait, hold on hold on, Michael we Geordan, I mean, okay, them.
Speaker 4: Like Michael Oh wait, fun fact she's now dating in Nigerian speaking of Nigerian.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, damn.
Speaker 3: Running the world I know. Right.
Speaker 1: So, Actually, because we're just on this, I have a privial question for you. Okay, So do you know out of all NBA players who were born in Nigeria not of Nigerian descent, who has the highest two K rating currently?
Speaker 2: I mean two K. It's obvious because Giannis is the best player in the league, right.
Speaker 3: Well, the only it's born in Nigeria. Oh, born in Nigerian? Was he born in Nigeria?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 4: No, he was born in I think I think he was born in Nigerian and then they went to Greece.
Speaker 2: But that was.
Speaker 3: With his brother.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: Well well TK Rodnie will discuss at a later time, but just for now, let's take the brothers.
Speaker 4: Okay, okay, okay, okay. I don't think Bam was born there. I don't think Victor was born there. Nigerians in the league.
Speaker 1: I'd give you a hint. Sure his name is an adjective. Okay, this is precious, Yes, precious that you are? Yeah, look at that. That was tough, but I feel like but also like another fun fact because no one else's name.
Speaker 2: That was a very good hint.
Speaker 4: By the way, like half of Nigerian's names are adjectives really yeah okay, or titles interesting okay.
Speaker 1: Learn something new every day other than you and your sister? Who are the best sibling duos in basketball? Also it's national like sibling Day or something. And I was looking at ESPN and I was like scrolling, you and your sister were on there, So I'll tell you about you guys and the other people.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so best siblings in basketball? Yeah, I mean obviously us the antiotic Gupos are great, great of the lope. And I say us because we're four. I know a lot of people talk. I was going to go into the multiples. I love the Lopez brothers. They're so different, but they are phenomenal. We actually had them on the show today and they were they were they were on brand.
Speaker 3: Also they went to Stanford.
Speaker 4: Yes, Chris, I love the holidays classic, The holidays are nice.
Speaker 2: Am I missing some siblings?
Speaker 3: I mean the curries Oh well duh, did you?
Speaker 1: I don't think you said the Autobos curries, Marcus and Marquis Oh my gosh, how do you share a bank account?
Speaker 3: That's my quint. They share a bank account.
Speaker 2: Yeah, apparently they share a bank account.
Speaker 4: I mean maybe they've transitioned to they're way older now, but at one point, yeah, you know they have the same tats.
Speaker 3: No, no, it's no.
Speaker 1: Well you obviously know the conspiracy that they switch at halftime, right what? Okay, Apparently there was this thing where like I forget what teams they both were on at this point, but apparently they were like, Okay, this may not be real because like now that I think about this, this is like a little like apparently they because like you know, when you're like, oh, I have a twin.
Speaker 4: Sister and we like switched in like to like ma store have a store like that, so people can't tell me and my older sister, Neka apart. And so when we're at Stanford, there was a point where I was like, hey, I'm not feeling great. Can you go and you know, go to this orientation for me.
Speaker 2: She went in.
Speaker 4: No one noticed. And so we've done that before. I mean not saying that I did her whole degree or she did my whole degree, but for one class where we need to be a tenant stand.
Speaker 3: No one be like never they owe me a check for what I've done.
Speaker 4: They owe me a check, quean, But yeah, we did a whole like O cay, you like help me and go attend this class, and no one ever blinked, Like no one knows.
Speaker 3: Well, I guess maybe in a game, you guys like put on each other.
Speaker 4: So this is what my sister hates. In the games, I tend to get a lot of her stats. I don't know why lucky. So like sometimes like I'll get an extra rebound like it was, you know, or I get a steal like that.
Speaker 3: One rebound away from a triple double, and you just like get that.
Speaker 4: If she had were to get a triple double, I would be the one like the volleyball, you know, passing tapping her.
Speaker 3: Thanks to dream work.
Speaker 1: Ye. So I was just gonna get into this about you having four sisters and then Joannis has four brothers, four on four.
Speaker 4: What I would like to take our odds just because we've got shooters.
Speaker 1: Yeah that's not necessarily what the other Yeah, but they're very talented.
Speaker 3: But I'll be like, okay, let's all just like fire it, yeah, just fire.
Speaker 1: But like you know, if we play, I'd love to see the like tunnel walk ins in that game.
Speaker 3: Like all of you guys have some fire fits, so that exciting.
Speaker 1: Next up, Okay, I actually feel like you're doing a good job of doing really hot takes like they're right now.
Speaker 3: I feel like they're at like a Jailing Green level. Okay, so that's pretty hot.
Speaker 2: But like we need to just now I'm understanding.
Speaker 3: Now you get what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: How did you feel about his haircut? By the way, I didn't.
Speaker 1: Okay, so right now you're at a Jailen Green three haircut?
Speaker 3: Oh I'm done. So it's fine. You're in a good a good space.
Speaker 2: That's so funny. You like you like the old haircut?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, like respect, I would take him anyway, but of course, you know, we just.
Speaker 2: Need that interesting.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: I love like Houston Rockets, so like that.
Speaker 1: That's why, because like, also I could say, well, maybe it's like Daling Green level Jordan Poole level.
Speaker 3: Like wait, where's your high? So is Jordan above deal?
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm a.
Speaker 1: Warriors girl, so like for me is actually, well, it's sort of funny because I love Jordan, but god does he pissed me off sometimes why because of.
Speaker 3: The games or like what are you doing? Like there is he's been better lately.
Speaker 1: He has been better lately, and I talked to him like I'm his mom, which is probably really bad and it's not gonna help my case either.
Speaker 3: So Jordan, close your ears on this one. But I'm like you doing.
Speaker 4: So, I think to his defense, it's not easy. It's always in and out.
Speaker 3: It's not which is auditioning Clay all that stuff, but it's just hard.
Speaker 1: Because I'm like, you're just turning it over in a moment where there's fourteen seconds left on the shocolking.
Speaker 3: Yes, I don't know what you're.
Speaker 4: He's it feels like he's got all that out of a system in the regular season.
Speaker 3: Baby Eve been doing great lately. I'm so faud of.
Speaker 2: You're doing amazing.
Speaker 3: Sweedene. I'm the mom with the recorder.
Speaker 1: She could be whoever you was girlfriend in like ten years exactly. Okay, So now let's get to the Kelly I'm sorry, Okay, now let's get to Now let's get to the Kelly Ray junior level of hot. So other than seven Clay, who would you say is the best backcourt in the NBA.
Speaker 4: Oh right now, Jalen Brown, Jason Tatum, like for what they've been doing. Jason Tatum just made history the first Celtic player ever to average thirty points. I think it was like thirty point one. He got it by like a nail. Those two have been just in a tier of their own. I love them.
Speaker 3: And then let's see who else duo.
Speaker 4: I mean, people had a lot of high, you know, ambitions for Luca and Kyrie, and I've all thought that I was going to be that that that well, it's not their fault. I think they they're too offensive players.
Speaker 1: They can't work together. Both of them want the ball. I mean, it just doesn't they can't work together. They're just gonna have to retool everything else.
Speaker 3: I don't.
Speaker 1: I don't as long as I mean one of the one of them needs to make a decision and be like I am going to play a different game, and I don't think.
Speaker 3: I just don't think Lucra and Kyrie are the types of people to do that. But they can prove me wrong.
Speaker 4: I think that the problem is is that I think they're both locked in, so they have to They're going to be forced to make it to work, and it's going to be more important for the front office to figure out how to make them work better, to.
Speaker 3: Get sure which w NBA player is the best dressed.
Speaker 4: Oh so I love Besides, my sister was steps her style game up as well as you know. She has a stylist, Christina Negwa, who's a WMB player, and like, I feel like she's always giving people looks I have to go with. I love Izzy Harrison Isabelle Harrison like tall but owns it. Whereas whether it's like jerseys that are customed bringing back jersey dresses to like the sneakers and the pants like she has a good eclectic mix of looks.
Speaker 3: So I like to give yourself on a scale of one. So I didn't.
Speaker 2: I'm not gonna lie.
Speaker 4: I've never really tried with my fits having the air I try because we had so many bigger fish to fry than what do I look like coming into arena the last few years, Like I just give up. And I remember there's this one girl that commented, like, Tana, are you gonna keep giving us basic Adida's looks? I was like, honey, yes, because all I care about is whooping And like when I go out there and play. That's all I care about it. You gotta get you got to get that. But I did get it.
Speaker 2: One of my mottos is I don't take things personal. I take notes.
Speaker 4: So I took notes and I was like, you know what, I can actually invest a little bit more because Christina Negway, she was like, you look good. You bring that confidence into the locker room, and that's what you translate to the quarters, Like all right, instead of being in survival mode like I don't care what I look like, I'm gonna actually like come in with some heat this year.
Speaker 3: Okay, shout me out, like little well, you're gonna be there.
Speaker 2: You better be walking together.
Speaker 3: Okay, we'll do o action.
Speaker 1: So I usually ask which NBA player has the best shoe game, but I feel like everyone just says PJ.
Speaker 3: Tucker like it's sort of an awe, Like it's pretty obvious this.
Speaker 1: So my new question is which NBA player has the best shoe custom shoe?
Speaker 4: Oh, I mean, I'm a three striped life girl, So I go with Dida. So I'm gonna have to pick someone I've always loved.
Speaker 2: Dame.
Speaker 4: His shoes are just comfortable and the functional and they also like are flexes. Oh I score seventy one points, Bam new shoe. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh, I'm the all time leading scorer with the Trailblazers.
Speaker 3: Bam new shoe.
Speaker 2: Oh I just beat you in the playoffs.
Speaker 3: But damnit, Trailblazers are sort of a low bar.
Speaker 4: But I mean, look, this is true, but that man, my guy Dame. At this point, I love my guy Dame like I love him.
Speaker 1: You know what last night really showed how much an impact he has, the fact that the Warriors had one hundred and fifty seven points, not that he's a defensive player at all, but.
Speaker 3: Just he yeah him.
Speaker 4: As a Warriors fan, you should know what Dame does whenever he plays against the Warriors.
Speaker 3: He goes crazy. Oh, he goes off. You know who goes even more off?
Speaker 2: Who?
Speaker 3: My boy Stuffy?
Speaker 4: Well that is fair, but then Steph has a whole system around him, David by himself. But I'm just saying, your shoes. I'm not talking about stuff. Carry Do you want to talk about your boy's shoes?
Speaker 2: STEP's?
Speaker 3: Oh I thought you were saying, Kelly. I'm like, no, I know my husband doesn't have it.
Speaker 2: I know they were talking about ok.
Speaker 3: Yes, he does. I'm so sorry, Kelly, I'm so sorry. He has shoes with converse.
Speaker 1: I'm not sure if they still take them, but he did have few correct correct Yes, stepses are fire.
Speaker 3: Okay, I think I liked it, but like, look, you know, I'm always worry that I like that.
Speaker 1: Okay, So next segment, So think of Muggsy Muggsy Bogues and manouple really tall, really.
Speaker 3: Short hemates at one point. So it's sort of like this or that type situation. We have to go fast, like we just gotta like fire.
Speaker 1: Like to be honest, I'm just gonna guess where both of us are gonna give an explanation, but let's just pretend like we're gonna be productive and go, I got you last shot MJ or Kobe?
Speaker 2: Why are you doing this?
Speaker 1: I can't you can pass, you can pass both.
Speaker 2: This is on brand for me.
Speaker 3: W CBA or w n B A w NBA. Why you scored like fifty two in the w c H Yeah that is true.
Speaker 4: And like I look, before I tore my achilles in China, which was trauma. Bro, we were everybody in China. I forgot I scored fifty two? Yeah, you come fact I forgot I scored fifty two.
Speaker 2: Don't hold on.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, I'm just like I think you they're reminding me.
Speaker 3: Of course, you know I've scrolled on that Wikipedia. I did drop it.
Speaker 1: That is okay, keep going, okay, sorry, yeah, oh god, okay, last shot superd or Diana Trossi Diana.
Speaker 3: Sorry, so I love you, but last past superb easy.
Speaker 1: Lakers are Clippers, Nike or Deez? What talked enough about thispers.
Speaker 3: I love you too, Clippers, but I don't hate me.
Speaker 4: Well, I mean, we'll see what gatory I mean I want money from both, so both.
Speaker 2: I'll drink either.
Speaker 3: Okay, love both. What is your favorite flavor gatory?
Speaker 4: Oh I'm oh. I don't like any of the funky stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, cucumber, la moone or whatever.
Speaker 4: So I'm going like, there's always the white, red, orange blue light No, I know white, No.
Speaker 1: Get what it's called the light blue. Isn't it like glacier free? Yeah, Almo's not bad, but it's like too light. I think a solid red. Oh god, no, too much red forty that's like that's like not I didn't have the problem of being those kids that drink it and then you know they drink it because they ran out and like everything is like their mouths to be honest, like the yellow one's good, Like it's not like good, it's underrated.
Speaker 4: I think the blue is a little too. No, I think it comes like I read an orange freeze it freeze the blue one and eat it with a spoon.
Speaker 3: Oh, like, oh that makes sense. I'm trying to think of what my favorite flavor was.
Speaker 4: I think they only give us like red and oranges in our practice cooler or maybe.
Speaker 3: You Oh that was so dumb. I would say, how can you tell? But I guess you're not like drinking from this spout you put it. No, they give it to us individually.
Speaker 4: I mean, you know, you got to survive these COVID days, so Instagram or TikTok Instagram, out on the town or Netflix and chill Netflix and chill Zion or jaw.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 1: I was like thinking, I say, it's like okay in New York or La La rinaldo or messy.
Speaker 4: Oh now my dad's going to watch this podcast with your dad, Peter him.
Speaker 3: Peter, thanks for I have this is really great. Thank you. Yeah, maybe you could become friends with my dad.
Speaker 4: They would like literally hit it off. My dad is the coolest ever. Oh yeah, MESSI.
Speaker 3: Is that because Peter told you that.
Speaker 2: I know this is know this is.
Speaker 4: Because he won the World Cup and like is one of the most well rounded athletes ever in the history of mankind.
Speaker 3: And like, which is insane because he's five times you watched I am Georgina, I have Do you like it?
Speaker 2: I don't really have.
Speaker 3: Anything opinion on it?
Speaker 1: Like, I mean, yeah, I mean, like Loki, I would, I mean, I guess look why.
Speaker 3: I don't care. Yeah, And I don't say that disrespectfully.
Speaker 4: You are a woman in yourself. You are Georgina, but like a queen in her own right. Yes, But like I know, I was, I was like, this looks interesting. I just saw on Netflix the other day. I was like, oh should I watch this?
Speaker 1: I was like, get that birl, look do the same thing if I was sitting there as well.
Speaker 3: That was a Gucci employee, you right, But also like, I know she does amazing things.
Speaker 4: So do.
Speaker 3: We stand? Sam Kerr, Alex Morgan, whoa that think them? Wow? Okay, oh I'm saying Crystal done love, Yes Thorne's queen.
Speaker 1: Yes, Okay, you or your sister Neka, I mean what, let's just be real here, but.
Speaker 3: You can still come on the show. Okay, have a different answer.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm here. But next time we'll do it. We'll do a sibling pod.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, maybe we can invite like the Nasais and stuff.
Speaker 4: Yes, and then we can play one on one after and we'll all fire a whole bunch of se you'll rough and announce definitely not rough.
Speaker 3: But I'm just like you.
Speaker 1: I feel like that would be like too problematic, but I wouldn't want you get definitely save.
Speaker 2: All fouls on them and we would win.
Speaker 4: I would like, totally depends unless you there's someone there that's Jordan Poole or Kelly Uber there, and then we'd lose because I mean, she's a home.
Speaker 3: If Quentin Grin is there, who I love the name, Oh Lord help us.
Speaker 1: Quenting Grimes is there? I think Okay, last question, Okay, announcing right here.
Speaker 2: You I mean, this is a layup.
Speaker 1: I'm just gonna say me and then we'll just sign off, end of the podcast.
Speaker 2: How about this.
Speaker 3: In a couple of years, I'm gonna say you.
Speaker 1: Now, fine, fine, you right now now.
Speaker 4: Your time will end and I will never the bags won't. Maybe my time will end, but the bags won't.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: I see you. Same with Georgina. Hey, the bags never ends. That's all we have to get to. That's all we have to get to. Thanks for listening to Slow Notes.
Speaker 1: To check out all the fun Tonay and I had after the show, make sure to follow me on TikTok and Instagram at Sloan Notes.
Speaker 3: Sloan has me, by the way.
Speaker 1: Plus, you can see the full show and catch clips on YouTube.
Speaker 3: Links are in the show notes