Speaker 1: Wanted to cook at soul.
Speaker 2: Good morning, everybody, Welcome back. It is Tuesday, August eleventh, and the Yankees will open up a series with the Mariners tonight. Honestly, this episode might come off a little bit as negative. I want to get you guys a look at my hoodie right here. Summer of George.
Speaker 3: Summer of George.
Speaker 2: Anyway, this episode might come off a little bit as negative. Just from looking at my own notes, I was just like, man, that's pretty damn negative. But you know, whatever I think of and whatever you know comes in my head is what I talk to you guys about. And when the Titanic was sinking, you know, the band kept playing. They were pretty optimistic, right, or maybe they were just trying to entertain people. But I'm sure there were some people who were like, Ah, the band's playing, it can't be that bad. But I'm sure there are some people, and I would fall into this category, who are like, let me see if I can find something to float on, because this doesn't look good. And right now, even when the Yankees win a series, they are losing ground. And that's a sign that the team ahead of them is taking care of business. And that is the Tampa Bay Rays, who now lead the American League East by six games, and the Yankees have essentially been putting all of their energy and effort into staying above water, and by the time the SS judge arrives to pick up the lifeboats, I'm not sure that there's gonna be much energy left.
Speaker 3: To fight for the division.
Speaker 2: And I don't know about you guys, but after that loss on Sunday, I think he's got one run in extra innings again. I just needed a break from the strikeouts. I was glad that we had the day off yesterday. It was a rare, just like a mental reset, and I watched the Rays game against the Athletics and they were down, I believe it was six to two in the eighth inning, and they scored eight runs in the eighth inning to come back and win. And when I saw that, I realized the Yankees don't have that fight in them. They can't compete with the Rays right now. They're not as good, just flat out not as good. They don't hit as good, they don't play defense as well, and if they match up in the playoffs, I think it's gonna go a lot like the series with the Blue Jays went last year. We're probably looking at a wild card series, and if the Yankees don't get right, they're probably looking at a wild card series on the road against the Red Sacks. Now, the reds or Red Sox have slowed down the last couple of days, they've lost a.
Speaker 3: Couple in a row. But Yanke's got to get their act together. So let's talk about the Rays and what they.
Speaker 2: Are proving, because it is, honestly, it's time to stop looking up at them in the standings and start paying attention to the wild card. It doesn't mean the season is over. The Yankees currently own the top wild card spot and they're like six and a half games from falling out of a playoff spot entirely, but we've seen it enough now to know plainly that without Aaron Judge and Cody Bellinger and to a certain degree John Carlos Stanton. They're used to playing without Stanton, but without their three big monsters, the lineup just is not good enough to win the American League East. I mean, and there's nothing wrong with just calling a spade a spade. It might be good enough to survive and win a wild card because of the Yankees pitching, but surviving and winning the division are different things, different things. Brian Cashman likes to say that pitching is the key, and he said that many times pitching is the key to winning, and he's not wrong. Pitching is very important, and the Yankees have the best era in baseball at three point three zero. But pitching isn't the only key. It's not a skeleton key. You also need an offense. More importantly, you need an offensive philosophy that continues to function when your best players disappear, even if they're out of the lineup for one day, you should be able to compete. This one doesn't judge got hurt. The Yankees are hitting two nineteen. They two eighty three on base percentage.
Speaker 3: Guys, that's pitiful. That is absolutely pitiful.
Speaker 2: And over their last forty four games they're hitting two oh three. I'm gonna repeat that, over their last forty four games, the Yankees are hitting two oh three.
Speaker 3: As a team.
Speaker 2: If an individual player hits two oh three, the fans want that player demoted. They want that player traded shipped to space, launched into the sun. Pick your metaphor. But if the whole team hits two hundred for a month and a half. You just sit there and take it and be grumpy. There's nothing you can do. This is a lineup constructed to hit the ball over the fence, and when home runs disappear, the entire operation shuts down. They don't string together hits, they don't consistently take the extra base, they don't manufacture enough runs. They wait for somebody to hit a three run home erw and half the time there aren't even two runners on base anyway. The irony is that the Yankees last sustained championship run. The last time the Yankees were really successful and had a sustained championship run, it was because they were a complete team. They were built by Gene Michael, and they can beat you in every conceivable way. They would take advantage of errors and mistakes. They played tight defense, they stole bases, they hit with runners in scoring position. They still hit home runs, but they weren't dependent on them. The ninety eight Yankees, best team in my lifetime, had ten players reached double digits in homers, but nobody hit more than twenty eight. Tino led that team with twenty eight home runs. They also hit to eighty eight as a team, and they led baseball with a three to sixty four on base percentage and constantly forced pitchers to work. You get guys on base, you knock them in. Now, maybe the Yankees of the modern era, we'll look at velocity and shifting and specialized bullpens and all of the other difficulties in generating offense, and they'll say, the path of least resistance is power. You can hit the ball over everyone and skip all of that. And so they think that if you collect enough home run hitters and pair it up with a good pitching staff, you can do damage and you can win, and it will usually get you to the playoffs if everyone's healthy. And then it's a crap shoot, right, That's what Cashman and company like to say. It's crapshoot. I disagree. I reject that premise, that premise completely. The Astros proved it wasn't by having repeated and sustained success. The Dodgers have proved it isn't. And when your power gets limited and your offense disappears, it taxes you're pitching. That's the thing that nobody talks about, that nobody looks at. Every base runner becomes an emergency. Every mistake can lose you in the game, and that wears down your pitcher more than pitch counts and all that stuff. The stress. Every pitching coach will tell you that. So let's take a look at what the Rays are doing. Because they lead the American League handily. They are hitting two fifty nine as a team, that is second and Major League Baseball. They've got a three point seven zero ERA that's.
Speaker 3: Sixth the in baseball.
Speaker 2: They have created a team that can win baseball games in more than one way. They have four qualified hitters that are batting at least two to seventy seven. Chandler Simpson's at three h five, Yanni Diez is at three h two, Jonathan rond is at two eighty eight, and junior cameronero is at two to seventy seven. Liam Hicks not gonna recount him because he came in from a trade, but he's hitting over to eighty. Also, the Yankees have one player on their active roster hitting that well for the season, Luis Garcia Junior two seventy nine, and he's only been on the team for five minutes. The only qualified hits which is three point one played appearances per game, per team game that are hitting above two forty two are Cody Balinger, who is on the injured list, and ben Rice Ballenger's hitting two fifty nine. Rice is hitting two fifty seven now. Batting average has been treated like an embarrassing stat for about fifteen years, and I'm sick of it. I'm sick of it. You mentioned it around the analytics guys and they act like you're trying to show them highlights on a VCR, right, they laugh at you. Oh yea unk boomer, all that shit. Walks are valuable. On base percentage is valuable. Nobody is saying they're not. But a hit can score somebody from second, It can send somebody first to third. It could force the defense to make a play, to make a throw, to execute under pressure. And we've seen in an era built around exit velocity and all that stuff that a lot of teams struggle with fundamentals and defense. So the Yankees have valued on base percentage for a long time because it helps you when you hit the ball out of the ballpark, But it only helps if you do something with it, and when you're not hitting the ball out of the ballpark, you end up stranding a lot of runners because you walk or you get one hit four bats, five at bats and you leave them on base. The Rays also close games. They have a major league best forty eight saves. And then there's the question that nobody wants to talk about, and that is the money question. The Yankees are carrying a pay roll over three hundred million dollars. Tampa Bay is roughly a third of that. And I don't believe that being wealthy inherently makes someone lazy or automatically makes them stop trying. But there's something something too guaranteed money, in my opinion that I don't know. It disrupts things, right, Guaranteed money and guaranteed status can kind of create less competition. Guys become comfortable. It's like, well, I'm struggling, but they're not going to get rid of me because I'm making ten million dollars like Jazz Chisholm making eleven million dollars. He doesn't give a shit about baseball right now, The Rais can't afford to operate that way. Their players are constantly fighting for roles, playing time, and their next contract. And maybe that urgency matter is just as much as batting average does so we take a look at the division snapshot. Yankees now six games back in the American League East, two games ahead of the Boston Red Sox.
Speaker 3: Will take a look, now uncomfortably at the wild card.
Speaker 2: Let's see here, we pull that up and we can take a closer look at how the wild card standings are going. American League Wildcard Yankees are currently holding the top spot, the Boston Red Sox the number two spot, Texas Rangers, the number three spot, Twins number four.
Speaker 3: So the Yankees are in.
Speaker 2: A good position to make the playoffs and maybe that's all they care about, getting a couple of you know, revenues, revenue gates from the postseason, but not gonna work out if you have two games in Boston and you're going home, all right. So tonight the Yankees will take on the Seattle Mariners. Ryan weathers on the mound. He's been throwing the ball exceptionally well. You would think his record would be five and seven, but better than five and seven with a three point seven to nine er, but it is what it is. Brian Will one of my favorite pitchers to watch. Not having a great year, but he pitches the exact way that the Braves pitcher pitched on Sunday that shut them down, mixes pitches, spots his pitches, throws a lot of breaking balls, got a good fastball too, and so tonight it's gonna be difficult for the Yankees. Although Seattle has lost four straight and they're fifty six and sixty three, they I think their urgency is out the door a little bit, but anyway, we'll see.
Speaker 3: Let's take a look at what to watch.
Speaker 2: Grisham has been swinging the bat slowly, a little bit better. He had a home run on Sunday, a couple of hits a day before that. Austin Wells has gotten it going a little bit over the last ten games to ninety two average, nine to twelve ops in the last ten games.
Speaker 3: And Jazz Chisholm.
Speaker 2: I don't know if I've seen worst body language on a player since Aaron Hicks right before he got released. It's pitiful to watch, all right, So let's do our nostra Derek prediction. I'm taking Ben Rice and I am taking Austin Wells. How about that. I picked Austin Wells once this year and he came through with a home run. So we're going for we're going for a second time. All right, let's take some voicemails here, John from Florida.
Speaker 4: Hey, Derrek, John from Florida's got a question. Yeah, he's looking like they're doing for a wildcard spot. Based on how the Red Sox are playing, and based on how there, he's probably already put this thing away. In the two game set, we know Splitzler's going game one. Who would you have go go game two? Would you have Cole? Or would you have free go to game two?
Speaker 1: So you got you got Splitler?
Speaker 4: Who else would you have for that wildcard game?
Speaker 2: Me on, that's a great question. I mean, there's no question. If you're going three games, those are your three guys. And I think the number two, honestly, I think the number two honestly might be Schlitler because he's going to be tired by that point. You know, he's never thrown this deep into a season before, especially at the major league level. I think that Freed and Cole are both going to be a lot more fresh. I think one of them might get the game when start, So I think you go with whoever's throwing the ball. Well, you go with Cam in the pivotal game too. And hope that you have a third ace in waiting to go in in game three or in game one of the following series.
Speaker 3: But that's a great question. Here's Tabor talk.
Speaker 5: Hey, Derek cow are you Tavorite talk from the Tascos Yankees all today they took two out of three from Atlanta, both as we all know, wasted pitching. What a gym by Schlickler. The Yankees are not scoring the last what is it twenty game for something averaging under three runs a game. It's really pathetic. Anyway, I'm listening to the Michael Kay Show. I catch his show every day, and a lot of calls about how the Oldzheimer's Day was not good, kind of the blackluster, like like twenty thousand people half the stadium was empty during the also a game, a lot of guys didn't show up. Andy pettit wasn't there. Gooding wasn't there, Strawberry, A bunch of other guys didn'tows. Dereck Cheeter wasn't there. Michael Kay said that was one of his favorite as growing up as a kid, the old Teimer's Day, And he says nostalgia. I'm the opposite, and I think you agree with me. I don't like it at all. It's very depressed. Even as a kid, I didn't like it. It's just seeing these great athletes who could barely run and throw the boy It's like, it's like it just reminds me of death. I'm sorry that.
Speaker 2: I appreciate the call reminds you of death.
Speaker 3: I don't think we need to say anymore. Willie called in about the same topics.
Speaker 2: I want to let Willy have this moment that I'll address it.
Speaker 1: Hey, Derek talking about Old time as Day? What happened to Sabati, the Sina, will Petty Cleming, Jeeter good Strawberry? What what?
Speaker 5: What?
Speaker 1: What happened to all them players? How come they was the old time game? That's pub with me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if I were the Yankees, I would feel embarrassed about that. I think it has something to do with Cashman. Cashman, the Ruins a lot of relationships with people. We've heard a lot of players talk about this. They just don't like the guy, okay, and I don't blame them, and so they're not inclined to go worship this organization. Also, you know, twenty years ago when you were having Old Timers Day, you.
Speaker 3: Were getting.
Speaker 2: You know, championship teams from the seventies, right, and then now you're getting those early two thousands teams that didn't win anything. They won a couple of penance one to oh three, but nine their only championship. You really should have better representation from the nine team. You really should have CC there. And look Jeter not being there as just it's like if Joe Tomagio Mickey Mannel didn't show up. It just didn't happen. Okay, maddeningly still managing. So I agree with you. It is lackluster and it reminds us of death. All right, guys, I'll see you after the game tonight.
Speaker 3: Enjoy your day. I'll see you next time. Hey, thanks for watching.
Speaker 2: If you're new to the channel, do all the YouTube stuff like and subscribe. Also, we've got a store Nyy Designs dot shop. It's got all sorts of fun t shirts, mugs, hats. You can also get podcast merch at pinstripe territoryshop dot com. We're also on every podcast platform, so go ahead and subscribe to the audio version as well, and give us five stars if you don't mind, if we earned it.
Speaker 3: We'll see you next time.