Speaker 1: I know I'm getting old.
Speaker 2: There the things I'm getting excited about.
Speaker 3: We're getting Labory lamer I.
Speaker 1: Welcome to the Rosery Star.
Speaker 2: And that's when I shout hooray. Let'st on sale today, all rights on sale today.
Speaker 1: And good morning swimmerl and welcome to the No Dungs Podcast on the Athletic Network. It's Friday, February twelfth. This is the drop.
Speaker 4: I'm j E.
Speaker 1: Skeets, and alongside me we got mister what you need to Know Pass Mellis. Hey everybody, Hey Tessie, we got the bass Master, Rippin em Lips, Trey Kirby. Hey, hey, we've got the international Man of Mystery to the max giggling over a sparagus, Lee Ellis.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And last but not least, making the magic happen once again with those cold opens, It's JD.
Speaker 5: Hello.
Speaker 1: There he is, and here we are. Shout out to the stream team on a Friday, joining us live right now on YouTube. Guys, please like and comment and subscribe, share the show. Appreciate all of you that joined us last night for our NBA Happy Hour, especially our guest a Mere Blumenfeld. He rolled through, he stood for the entire time It took me back to the starter's days where Trey was just staying for the entire show. But we had a lot of fun. So if you haven't watched that yet or listened to it, it's up on YouTube. Of course. We went about two hours hanging out last night. Talked a lot about towels at the end and the towel strategy that you have, the towel rotation. JD. Nora was watching a little bit. She actually was like, I feel so bad for what's going on in that house with these towels and the animals that you're living with and the way they treat a towel. She felt legit bad.
Speaker 6: Yeah. Thanks, are those socks? Are those socks still sitting on the living room floor? Six days now?
Speaker 5: They're gone?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 1: Maybe someone was watching happy.
Speaker 5: I think so. I think they heard me.
Speaker 1: Interesting. Yeah, so go check that out. A lot of fun with the mirror, and we'll probably be doing that next Thursday as well. We'll let you know for sure though later on. Okay, keep your questions in your comments coming for the next beach Step in podcast No dunks at the Athletic dot Com. And you guys know this immaculate items always available at No dunks dot com. Lots of No Dunks merch hoodies and crew necks and T shirts, some shorts, and we've of course got the coffee mug too, so we'll grab that. Okay, fun drop. We got Worse of the Week nominees. We've got maybe uh, we haven't never really decided who was doing tweeted the nights. We'll figure that out as the show goes on. We've got some second returns in the fan voting that we can address, but just sort of quickly with the games last night, there were some entertaining games. So some tekaways from these ones. Steph Curry going off again, Ley ten threes, I mean, this is stupid at this point. Ten threes, forty points, Warriors hold off to Magic. What's the big takeaway, Lely.
Speaker 7: Well, we're going to talk about the game or do we want to get to the juicy stuff about whether or not Steph Curry has got himself a seat at the MVP table? Is he in the conversation for MVP because he's kind of been on the periphery there for a while. But I think right now, as Keets the other day, when you asked the question on the show to myself and Trey, you said, you know, let's say the season ended today, would Joel Embiid be the MVP?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 7: But I think for this question, I'm going to project out for the remainder of the season, because if the season ended today, I don't think Steph Curry would or could win MVP, but I think there is a path for him to get there if things go a certain way throughout the season. There's a few factors, a few criteria there.
Speaker 1: Obviously.
Speaker 7: The first one and the most important is that he keeps playing at this high level and the Warrior keep winning, because Steph can't win the MVP in my opinion, if he has a Russell Westbrook like MVP season where the team only won forty five games, I think Steph has to get.
Speaker 3: His Warrior, you know.
Speaker 7: I mean, so it's a little bit short of course this season with seventy two games only, but I think Steph has to get the Warriors up to sort of third or fourth in the Western Conference at best.
Speaker 1: I think you don't think he can do what Westbrook did.
Speaker 7: No, because the Steph's already won two MVPs, he's a three time chap He's already done those accomplishments. Russell Westbrook hadn't done those at the time, and it was like that triple double, thirty point season that sort of like Durance gone, oh my god, Westbrook's done something we've never seen before. I think Steph Curry has to have the Warriors winning. Then you have to look at a couple of other guys who is competing against. And the first one of the biggest one I think is Joel Embiid who's having by far his best season. But can he maintain it, can he stay on the floor, and can the Sixers keep winning? Because Embiid is a guy who has had significant injuries in the past, and hopefully he stays healthy, but let's say he doesn't, then that could seriously affect his CA and which I think he's ahead of Steph Curry right now, and he's kind to kind of get the narrative vote, the storyline voted, like, you know, he's really living up to his potential if he stays healthy and the Warriors at the Sixers keep winning, and then you've course got Lebron out there as well.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 7: Lebron I think is the early season favorite. I picked him as the early season favorite. A lot of booking, betting websites, and even media votes sort of have Lebron as the leader right now. But well, this may be almost count against Lebron at some point if he just sort of stays at this incredibly consistent level. But if the Lakers cruise a little bit and maybe don't have that best record in the Western Conference, let's say they drop back to second or third, well that may be count against Lebron. Where it's like, well, you've got a better team, we expected like great results from you, Whereas the Warriors came into the season without Klay Thompson, and I think a lot of people immediately said, well, the Warriors can't win it now without Clay because he's such an important player for their team. So, you know, will those sorts of things, And then you've got the other guys like Yannis Nikolae, Jokich, Luka, Doncic, those sort of guys like where well their seasons end up. Yarnis, we've kind of just dismissed him from contention this season. I think a lot of people it's almost like it doesn't matter what numbers he puts up because he's won the last two but the Bucks haven't done so well in the playoffs. And then you've got someone like Jokich who's playing fantastic basketball, but the Nuggets aren't playing great basketball right now. So I think that affects him and Doncic. Everything about what the Mavericks does comes down to Doncic and can the Mavericks get up high enough in the Western Conference. I don't think they can right now, but if they could, Doncic is going to get all the credits. So I think there's a lot of factors in play. But I think if Steph Curry continues this incredible hot streak, scoring, shooting, doing just amazing things, really taking his back to that second MVP season where he led the league in scoring when the seventy three and nine Warriors were unbelievable, you know, then Steph's going to force himself into contention. But as we sit here today, I don't think he can. But if all those things happen throughout the course of the season, then there's no reason why he can't be a third a three time MVP winner.
Speaker 1: Yeah, tass. If he keeps averaging thirty five point three points per game and you know, shooting basically fifty percent from distance, like eight nine, ten threes a game, and they win, Like Lee saying, this is what he's been doing basically over his last eight game. Steph Curry, Yeah, he's in the conversation right, He's at the table. And maybe, maybe, like Lee saying, if he continues this rampant pace, he could pull this off and win a third. I think it's still unlikely because I agree with Lee on the wins, Like I think the Warriors have to have a shocking amount of wins, especially in comparison to what we thought they might sort of follow when we came into the season with no Clay.
Speaker 6: But what do you think, Well, I don't know how high that win total has to be. I think the expectations have dropped after the way the Warriors started this season, and so everybody understands that it's Steph and not much else offensively as far as scoring the ball. So he has to do a ton. So I don't think he has to win. They have to win really, you know, forty five games out of their seventy two. I don't think it has to be that high. I think it's all about the narrative you want to choose with the MVP vote, and I know that's kind of what happens every year, but there's so many good candidates this year and it's such a weird season. I think it's just which path do you want to pick with your winner? And I think Lebron is sort of the default winner because there are too many freaking storylines right now, like Joel Embiid, Yeah, he's playing his best, Yeah, Nicole Okic, Steph obviously, there's so many sort of on a very high level. And then I think people will just say, when they get their ballot, you know, why not give it to a guy who's doing something at thirty six that no one has ever done. He's won four MVPs, he's kind of got close to the last couple of seasons, especially last season. Why don't we just give it to him? So I think he could be the default winner. But I think Steph is totally legitimate, and you know, there's the storyline there like where would the team be without him? So that's that's obviously strong. There's obviously going to be some nice headlines with that lead. But I think also part of it is just the numbers man. That's why Steph I think is kind of overlooks sometimes we talk about the best in NBA history because it's about numbers and it's not about taking over, you know, physically being dominant. But yeah, he had ten threes last night. Hohum. He's done it seventeen times in his career. The next highest player to do that is Clay with five. Like it's just stuff that, you know, the points go and they keep ticking up on the board because he's a freaking master, but it's not you know, it's not done like previous MVP. So I think it's kind of overlooked still, even though we talk about him a lot. But he's he's tucked in at that table. You know, he's got he's on that chair and he's he's ready, knife fork up, ready to go until the end of the season. I don't see how he's gone from the table at any point. But there's just so many dudes at that table. I think the King is just going to be flick the MVP at the end of the season because they all have real, real cases, and I think they're all going to be there till the end because everybody's really resting and chilling out, like Joel Embiid they've gotten smart and they rest him. And it's totally accepted in this year's NBA that everybody rests. Angel Russell rests every five games. It seems like there's an injury, but he rests like everybody's resting. And I think Lebron's sketch of the season. No, yeah, that's true, that's true. He'll find some rest.
Speaker 1: Though he may. Well, where do you have Curry? Is he's at the table for you, Trey? I assume a small or big table. He's at this conversation. Yeah, we need to.
Speaker 4: Officially figure out how many people are allowed at this table, because I mean four is a nice double date dinner reservation.
Speaker 1: No doubt about it. Is Curry in the top four.
Speaker 4: I think he's getting close at the very least, Embiid Lebron for sure are there. Jokic and Durant probably are in the mix. And then Curry, I think, is really knocking on the door with those guys because the Nuggets have started to struggle, and you know, Kevin Durant.
Speaker 1: Has missed a few games for the Nets.
Speaker 4: So certainly Curry is right there, especially when you consider that people are excited to put Damian Lillard into the MVP conversation as well. And what Steph Curry is doing is what Damian Lillard is doing with the Blazers. Their team that's been kind of their depth has been taken away by injuries, similar to the Warriors have, but Curry has just in Right now he's looking like the unanimous MVP Curry of old. It's pretty funny to think that at the start of the season people were saying, can this guy carry a team by himself anymore?
Speaker 1: Yes, obviously he can.
Speaker 4: He's still money from three, like Task was saying, seventeen times with ten or more threes, incredible stuff. Feels like it's going to happen a few more times this year. He could make a run at leading the league in scoring, I would imagine as well. And if that's the case, he's for sure going to be a top five, top four, maybe a top three candidate, depending on how many people are at the table. He's definitely coming to dinner. But it does feel like Lebron is going to be the one picking up the check at the end of the year, considering his coach is saying, yeah, don't worry, Lebron's got this order what you want.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we'll see. I mean last night's shots too. I know this is nothing new with Curry, but it's always nice to be reminded. And Steve Curra after the game, Lee was like, Steph hits these threes there where there's nothing happened happening offensively, and then he just uses his dribble because he's got some of the best handles in the game to free himself up, gets that little bit of space just some inches there, right, and then rises up and you expect them to go in and when he's feeling it, and that's what was happening against this magic team. By the way, the Warriors needed all forty of these points. They needed all of these threes to win the game. And I think that helps, you know, the the MVP case for a guy like Curry when he's on the floor Warriors or plus sixty seven when he's off their minus twelve. And I saw, you know, Nick Fridella tweeting that one out. I think it was Tom Haberstrow actually, so like, yeah, we know, you know, we get into the what's the what's its stand for MVP Most valuable? Well, is there anyone more valuable to their team than then curry. That's what people are going to start saying here if they haven't already.
Speaker 7: Right, Yeah, he's knocking on the door to have a seat at the table, to get join the conversation.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's just let's just let's just clarify this. I thought we've done this before. I think we're going more than four at the table. Though I agree one hundred percent with you, Trey. I'm thinking it's a round table though. That's a nut. You go out for you get the round table on a nice restaurant.
Speaker 3: That's great.
Speaker 1: You know, the conversation is flowing, you're not just stuck talking to the person next to you. Yeah, I think it's I feel comfortable with six or seven even I'll go six. Seven man reservation, yell, I'll go six. Well, you know, you go a couple, You've got a couple of couples, and then you got the one friend maybe in town you come out. I'll go six. Does anyone have any objection against that? Six are at the MVP table conversation, the six sharing me.
Speaker 7: Six Six are at the table and someone says, well, if someone else turns up, we can just squeeze another one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, right, right, it's easy.
Speaker 7: I think it's easier to do that on a round table than a square.
Speaker 1: Now, sometimes you're gonna like your your leg's gonna hit like a table leg, right, you have to pick a side. We have to straddle it. That can be uncomfortable, but you're I'm with you, Lee, It's a little easier to squeeze it. Okay, six is the reservation, but you can always slip in a seventh. All right, That's where we're at. So Curry is one hundred percent there.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, yeah, Just one thing though, talking about the way that they execute those plays, Like, because I'm scouring now every game for very solid plays, I get to watch tons of the Warriors because Draymond Green is an incredible pass of the ball, And the way that some of those other players for the Warriors, like Wigans and like Ubre, a good couple of dams setting really good screens for Steph is really helping him as well, because he only needs a split second to get that ball and he gets off with such a clean look. So you know, the Warriors are sort of making that offense. Like listen, I'm not sure how much you can rely on those other guys. Although Wiggins was a good again for them last night in the fourth quarter, but it's a little bit less predictable, whereas with Steph, it's like, just get him the ball, set some good screens, and we'll take our chances that he's most likely going to knock down those shots. And that's what he's been doing. And then you saw the magic, like, all right, someone else has got to beat to see you guys, someone else, anyone else, So they put a little bit more defensive pressure on him, but then other guys do step up. So that's kind of what the Warriors need, is like, we know Steph can take us home, but let's see Wiggins and let's see Ubre come up and hit some big shots for themselves because they're getting paid big bucks as well. Ubra's on eighty two million this year, Isn't it exactly?
Speaker 1: Sure? Would you bet tass on Curry having another sixty plus game in them season? And I was even going to go as far to say, because I know Tray threw it out there, I think a couple of shows ago, like is seventy in play with him the way he's shooting right now? Obviously the three ball, like what is it? That far fetch to think like you could do that.
Speaker 6: The booker like number, what's on bet? MGM, I imagine sixty plus. You know the smart defenses are taking him away a lot of the time, like the Spurs two games in a row they allowed thirty two points with four to six eyeballs on him at all times. Right, but you know you're going to play some bad defenses in the NBA. So I could see sixty. I could. If there's a line out there, you know, it's probably like a plus one thousand or something for a sixty point game.
Speaker 1: Oh no, not that high. I wouldn't think. I mean it's almost like sixties a lot. Yeah, yeah, sixties a lot. I don't be about seven seventy. Yeah, we're definite.
Speaker 6: Sixty is likely.
Speaker 1: Well I'm saying it's not plus one thousand, Yeah, yes, I mean it's Leah, would you bet on it?
Speaker 3: Take that bet?
Speaker 7: If he's getting out the spot game this season? For sure, I feel.
Speaker 1: Like, yeah, will he beat his own record of threes made in a game? Yeah, he's right, fourteen, that's Clay. Oh will he get it back?
Speaker 3: Is what I think?
Speaker 7: Steph is thirteen? I think yeah, But I think he's got another sixteen name for sure.
Speaker 1: All right, let's hear from the stream team tweet at us at no dunk sink. If you were a betting man or woman, would you be putting some coin down on Steph going for sixty plus again in the season because he is on fire right now, fifty three for a one hundred and one from beyond the arc in his last eight games. One hundred and one threes he's taken in his last eat games. And it's like, okay, you don't even blink at it. Really incredible.
Speaker 4: It's like fifteen minutes before an episode of the Starters for Leellis though.
Speaker 1: One hundred and one threes, No problem, no problem, that is true. Our next game, you know, he was his name got thrown around there. I couldn't really determine whether he's at the table or maybe he is squeezing in. But it's Damian Lillard, guys, uh not Mellow, But Damian Lillard scored thirty. Mellow caught fire and the Blazers beat seventy six ers, really really entertaining late game. I stayed up for this one one eighteen one fourteen. Mellow is the story from it. It was fun. It was vintage Mellow. I think Scotts called him twenty four points off the bench, including sixteen in the fourth. But the the back and forth a fair late in this one was really really entertaining. You had Gary Trent Junior breaking the tie at one oh nine, so he put the Blazers up three. Lillard then added a basket, they're up five. They look like they're in the driver's seat. Well, here come the Sixers. Embiid, we'll pull up, We'll pull up around the free throw line. Splash it goes. Then Ben Simmons, who had an unbelievable game. He played really good defense on Lillard, got them in transition, pushed the ball. Ben found Seth Curry, Yeah, the other Curry. He hit a three to tie it at one fourteen, twenty two seconds ago. Then Mellow gets tripped, like bumped by Tobias Harris. He goes to the line, hits his free throws three seconds remaining, and then the Sixers. I did not love what they were running here at the end. I don't know what Harris was doing either. He like stops midway coming to the ball, but Sir Robert Covington sort of jumps the passingly and gets the deflection, gets the steal, and game is over after Lillard ices it out with the free throws fun one and you got a bunch of like MVP candidates right there, Trey with Lillard way he was playing in this with the thirty. Like I said, Embiide was a monster, and Ben Simmons playing great. Now he's an MVP, but good stuff there for Mellow. Always fun to see him catch fire, I'll tell you that. Yeah, no doubt about it.
Speaker 4: Vintage Mellow is fun to watch and much needed for the Blazers, especially on a night like you're saying, Ben Simmons was doing a great job of kind of taking Damian Lillard out of the game. With CJ McCollum out with injury, the Blazers just need somebody that can fill it up from time to time. That was Gary Trent Junior a little bit last night, and then Mellow obviously was awesome. I felt bad last night on the Happy Hour. You asked me, He just asked me off the cuff, which two players would you like to see switch faces? And they ever mad at me that I didn't have an answer. No, You're like, how dare you how dare you not have a face off switch?
Speaker 1: Ready?
Speaker 4: The answer is Carmelo Anthony and LaMelo Ball. Somebody tweeted it to us earlier today because I love to see it.
Speaker 1: You know, we're already talking about is LaMelo the new Mellow.
Speaker 4: He's stealing the celebration. But Carmelo said, no, I'm still Mellow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, still here. I'm still making threes, still hitting it to the head.
Speaker 4: So yeah, yes, wow, yeah, well done. But yeah, watching Mellow get hot, it's a throwback. It's fun to see. And you know, if there's gonna be two good Mellows in the league, I'm here for it. They're on completely opposite sides of the country. I don't think we're gonna have to deal with Mellow versus Mellow all too often. And when they get together, we'll probably you know, read it the dome it together.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's nice that one's super young, one's very you know old in his NBA career. I like the timing of that JD. You actually have that photo that Tray is alluding to from Yannick, because that was gonna be my tweet of the night, the face off photo. I don't know if you want to pop it up there, but yeah, there it is. Do not get at all.
Speaker 4: I like Carmelo's face on Lamello's head more than the other way around.
Speaker 1: I'll say, God, it's so weird when you look at that, very weird. Yeah, we're showing for those listening. Yannick tweeting in a photo of literally just swapping faces with Carmela Anthony and LaMelo Ball. It's as creepy as you think it would look. Anyway, anything to add to this game, tass orly.
Speaker 6: I just like when the Blazers win. When Dammi Lillard doesn't have a really good game, that's just means that they're deep enough. Like he had you know, six of twenty one from the floor. Ben Simmons was awesome guarding him and taking away his looks, but he got to the free throw line a ton. Basically half his points were from the free throw line. But the Yeah, when the Blazers can win, I mean this, this is the kind of thing you didn't expect When CJ mccallumood out. He's having a career year and now he's out. But Carmela Anthony to step in and be old, classic mellow for a quarter where yeah, everything was going down, even when he thought he was drawing a folly, just crazy, hit the glass and go down. He's going to finish top ten in scoring. And I know, we know, I have numbers battering around in my head all day and they sometimes don't mean anything. But when you get top ten all time in NBA in scoring, that's pretty neat, and he should get there. It could be this season, there's a chance, but probably next season he'll he'll stuck around. He'll still be around hitting some shots. And I love those jerseys too.
Speaker 1: I oh, yeah, they look good.
Speaker 6: They do look good on the court. I know everything looks good in Portland. That court is perfect. There's somebody on on YouTube that said it looks like a Cleveland Browns jersey, which okay, it does. It's kind of, you know, that sort of neutral gray brown. But everybody kind of loves the Browns. I said, you know, I know you feel sorry for the Browns.
Speaker 1: Hold on, let me go, let me go get my plunger. As we're talking about all that, Lee, you know, we had the conversation about the MVP seas the teable. How many people are at it is Ben Simmons at the defensive Player of the Year Barrail. That's why we're gonna set them up.
Speaker 7: Okay, I mean, if he's not all first team defense this season, then I don't know what he has to do to do it. He's incredibly he had that great block last night that led to transition three there from the sixers. He's incredibly quick and athletic, and because of his size and the position he plays, he's very, very rarely outmatched, you know, and you can switch him on to other defenders as well. He can defend the biggest guy or the smallest guy on a team because he's got that agility. So yeah, I think his defense is still somewhat overlooked, But for me, he's easily one of the best defenders on ball, perimeter, wherever you want to put him in the game. He's as good as anybody just denying his opponent because he's so big and strong as well. Like guys just can't beat him off the dribble. I mean, I think I think Lili it was last night sort of shook him to get one shot off. But that's different as far as if you go into the body and then try to body a guy, you just can't do it, you can't move him. So yeah, I think I think he's great and I think he deserves certainly. I think Rudy Gobe is the favorite for that award, and I think it's he's to lose from now given everything going on with the Jazz. But Simmons has to get a little bit more recognition than he's gotten in the past.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: The only obstacle for Simmons getting a Defensive Player of the Year is that he's a perimeter player, and it seems.
Speaker 1: To go to big guys.
Speaker 4: But on a night in, night out basis, he's the most impactful perimeter defender in the league for me, because, like Lee saying, he can do it all. He can be an inside guy, he can be an outside guy Kawhi Leonard. If you need a one on one, lockdown situation, that's probably still the guy you're taking. But every single night Simmons is bringing it defensively. And Skeetz, yeah, you're right. They had a bit of a water we running here moment there at the end of the game. But I do like the look of the Sixers in the crunch time a little bit more than they have in the past. They can get Embiid the ball in the post, which is a huge improvement that was not always the case. He's making quick decisions. You saw him hit Ben Simmons in the lane for a lamup and I think that's big too, that Ben Simmons is there in the lane ready to finish at the rim in the fourth quarter, cause you know, we've seen so many times where he's just happy to get the ball away for his hands so he doesn't get fouled and go to the free throw line. He had another post move finish that I thought was nice. Joel Embiid is being a little bit more patient. You know, it's not just gonna be a three from the top of the key off one hundred pump fakes. He's being real patient getting to that mid range jumper. Very weird to think that Darryl Morey is the GM on this team and saying, oh man, all we're gonna do is see Simmons and Embiid shooting all these threes. Meanwhile, Embiid is a mid range monster right now. He's shooting fifty percent from the mid range, and you see it every single time. He just takes his time, gets the pump fake. The guy bought bumps off him. He's got a little bit of space, takes a dribble a fifteen footer and it's money. Sixers crunch time offense is gonna be or has been an issue at least in the past couple of seasons. But they look a little bit more organized right now. They lost last night, but I don't think it was because they were doing dumb stuff until maybe that last one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just that last play was weird. Again. I don't know why Harris just straight up stops and looked like him and Beid we're gonna collide too. There's just like whoever was throwing I forget who was on the inbounce pass, but like, yeah, just throwing it into traffic there, Like just way too many bodies there. I didn't love that, But you're right, really entertaining game, especially for the nightcap there. So go check out the highlights at the very least quality win from the Blazers, maybe one of their best wins I think of the season. All Right, the other games, I'll just throw them at you, guys, and if there's anything you want to address, feel free. Jimmy Butler triple double leads the Heat past the Rockets, Semi Ojelai and Peyton Pritchard held in the Celtics take down this the Raptors one twenty one oh six. My god, if it's not Brad Wanamaker, now it's Pritchard. They just, you know, they most of those guys hit six threes. It was unbelievab shooting performance from them. They beat the Raps, and then the Pacers snapped a four game skid with the one eleven ninety five win over the Pistons. Anything jump out at you there, Trey Well.
Speaker 4: I think all these games kind of run together for me a little bit because Philadelphia and Milwaukee and Brooklyn kind of have separated themselves in the Eastern Conference. So the question is going to be who gets the fourth seed in the East, and we saw four contenders for it last night. Miami is definitely rounding into form as expected, you know, five and two since Jimmy Butler returned. They're now ninth in defense. The offense, it's still a work in progress, but it's going to be three point and it's gonna be free throws. Jimmy shot eleven three throws last night. The pressure he puts on the rim opens up the Drive and Kick game. Fifteen threes for Miami last night, five for Duncan Robinson, five for Illinois boy Max Strus, who might be the next Duncan Robinson, also might be the next Test Melus.
Speaker 1: He's got a similar look.
Speaker 4: Yeah like MAXI Yeah, And honestly, Max Streuce is more handsome than Hito Turculeu and Test Melus is more handsome than Hio Turculeus. So I'm willing to call Tests and Max the same guy. Anyways, you look at this other game. Raptors lost last night to Fast Peepe and the Bean Town Boys, but they've recovered well after a two and eight start. Don't forget they are playing all of their games away from home in a different country. I think we can give them some credit for surviving the first ten games of the season because obviously they're playing a little bit better right now. The Celtics, they got two All Stars Kemba Walker. He struggled so far. They've had depth issues. I think that's going to continue, but they will probably make some sort of move, so you imagine the.
Speaker 1: Celtics will be there. We got the Pacers.
Speaker 4: They look like they had a chance to be that fourth team in the East early in the season, they've had a rough patch. In twenty and twenty one they are nine and twelve. You're seeing the limitations, no doubt. If Sabonis in Brogden, they don't always have an advantage every night, But on the nights when Sabonus is able to really bully somebody, they look great. They are missing TJ.
Speaker 3: Warren.
Speaker 4: They need somebody who can just go out and get a basket. But I don't know a nice win for the Pace or somebody. Question to you, guys, if you were guessing who's getting that four seed in the Eastern Conference come playoff time.
Speaker 1: Of those of those teams specifically, Yeah, because I think that's the next tier. Yeah, Yeah, I think you're right. I think I go Celtics.
Speaker 6: I do.
Speaker 1: I mean, I think ken Bay. I believe still in kemb I know some Celtics fans like trade Kemba, Trade Kemba, do all that. He's he's gonna be fine, He's gonna round into form. Guy was coming back from an injury. And then you've got like last night was a great example. The Raptors wisely, you know, try and take away Brown, try and take away Tatum with no og By the way without their best defender, and they did a pretty good job on those guys. But man, those guys like they're not afraid to pass the ball. There's some playmakers in them. And these guys were just Semi, Ojele and Pritchard. You know, they're getting a lot of good open looks and they're in the NBA and they can knock them down. But I go Celtics. As much as that pains me to say, I think I think of those teams we're talking about, I believe in them the most has agreed disagree.
Speaker 6: I'm fine with the Celtics. They also lost Jayson Tatum for several weeks already this season, and yeah, Kempa does not look like himself and Nick Nurse loves taking away the stars from the other team. Yeah, they did a great job. And Payton Pritchard is, hey, he's capable. Yeah, he's bang home those shots. He's obviously very very confident. Uh. And then yeah, Chemi, I mean, what the heck are you going to do a second start of the season. He just bangs home shot after shott shot, and the reps were tired. It's fine. I'm fine saying that. It's an excuse, but I don't care. I mean, they're hitting the front rim a ton in this game, and so they lose. But yeah, the Celtics have got off to a better start than the Reps and the Heat. You know, the Pacers have slowed down. They need carosel Vert as well. You mentioned teacher warn. I mean they're super banged up as well. But it's good to see the Heat alive and the Raps alive. At least, all these teams are rounding into form. It's been a freaking weird year, guys coming in and out of the lineup, but I felt right to see some guy no one's ever heard of in Max Strus weird spelling of his name is sixteenth game of his season or said of his career, I should say, and has this monstrous game where he has just dropping shot after shot after shot. Did you guys see the line zero everything zero boards assists first guy to do that since Katino MOBILEI fourteen years ago. Twenty one points and nothing across the board. Wow, Max proces, Yeah, to do very hard.
Speaker 1: For a rebound not to fall into your hand, for just passing the ball to someone who hits a three.
Speaker 7: It's what counts as an assist that these diuys as well. You basically just have to let go of the ball and the other guy has to grab it and score it, and that counts as an assist.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he just runs corner to corner that guy and shots. But the Heat know what they're doing and it was ugly. It was super ugly. But it's good to see the Heat, you know, be like themselves. Like the end of the game, Trey mentioned their end of game execution. It's ugly. They miss shots and then they just go get the rebound. But they're out fighting teams and that's what they're going to do the rest of the season.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Leley, Just to finish this conversation, do you agree with tastinize the Celtics of that bunch because it is weird to think all those teams that Trey is saying there that were playing last night, three of these teams might lose in the first round. You know that's going to be a blow, right, you know it's possible when I'm getting out, very possible, I think. So what do you which team of those for do you pick?
Speaker 7: Yeah, the Celtics for sure. I mean between Brown and titum last night, they had twenty seven shots for twenty nine points. Any other game, especially against a good team like the Raptors, you would say, well, the Celtics is going to lose that game if they can't get that's what a production out of the stars. But all the gests did step up, and you know that's just that's a good song for the Celtics. They got some depth, but they will have two old stars, so they've got that superstar talent. It's just that that their only problem for me is in the middle. They've got a little bit of a problem there at the center. And will Danny Ainge make a move or will he be reported to make a move? What will happen come trade deadline? But I think, well, Jason Tatum's on the court the Celtics, you know that they're as good as anyone else pretty much in the Eastern Conference. I think he's that good. He wasn't that good last night, but he's shown that this heat. Where is he at the table? We haven't talked about him being at the table.
Speaker 1: He missed too much. He made show up. He might be late to the diner.
Speaker 7: When he was playing, though when he was playing he was in that conversation, but he missed some time there. So But yeah, and the Heat, I mean, you know, you guys are pretty much covered it there. But they're just winning, ugly and dirty and grind four.
Speaker 3: Straight wins for the Heat. That's all. That's all they do.
Speaker 7: They just know how it doesn't matter how close the game is, the Heat seemed to always be ahead when it counts.
Speaker 1: One more thing with Pretturan this nickname fast pp What am I missing with this? Like, I mean, I know it's a weird Celtics twitter and all that, but obviously it stands for his initials, I assume, But like it is so bad. That's one of the worst nicknames of all time. Crazy. It's pretty brutal.
Speaker 4: Because you know, the Celtics fans, the Bean town boys, they want you to say fast peepee, nice, slow, nice and slow you're separating the peepee. But if you say it like a like a fool and you say fast peepee, it's really meant. So that's why I say fast. But he is fast. He is he's fast, and his initials are peepee. So I mean, clearly that's the only possible nickname for it.
Speaker 1: That's just I mean again, like where they were calling him eight mile right for a while too, or that was in play because he's because he's looking like eminem White. Yeah, because it's white too. Yeah, But I mean both are not great, but fast peepee. I just hate out it looks I hate saying it. It's I mean, but hey, I think it's I think it's all so bad now that people are tough. But you know, what can I say? The Bean Town Boys, they destroyed the raps there is right. They had an excuse, they were tired. It was back to back. I think it was their fifth game in seven nights, wasn't it in five different cities or something like that.
Speaker 6: And it was just announced that they're going to stay the rest of the season in Tampa and and they're not moving back to Toronto because that was the hope that things would be better. And now Kyle Lowry says, now we can all get settled in a little bit, which is you know, it's just it's it is a tough season for them, but I'm sure they'll be fine, and I'm sure Peyton Pritchard will be fine. Although he was doing his postgame zoom in a car after Yah, Yeah, was he driving. I mean, you can't.
Speaker 1: You can't do that had a driver.
Speaker 6: I don't think fast. PP wants anybody to think I think he's driving his own car. Let me throw up this photo of Max Struce here because I just googled Max Strews, because I've look how handsome it is.
Speaker 1: It is a handsome man.
Speaker 6: This is his DePaul days. He's got to go back to this. Look, he's far more handsome than me. This long hair. Now he's got a short hair. Look.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's got the shorter vibe. All right, that's who we were talking about.
Speaker 6: Say that for later, JD.
Speaker 1: Yeah, come back to that.
Speaker 4: From three right now. Though he literally could be the next Duncan Robinson, a guy that they just found who is nowhere, who can shoot threes. That's all that the heat look for, right, compete on defense, be in the right spot, and jack the threes. He's doing it so far. He played at a tiny school in Illinois, Lewis University Division two before going to DePaul. Shout out to the Illinois boys.
Speaker 3: It's paying for the Illinois boys. Yeah, he'll get them on your teams every show.
Speaker 7: There's someone else this is bowling out from Illinois you got.
Speaker 1: To start collecting the Illinois boys on top. Shot. He get a nice showcase going. Maybe that's right, that's right.
Speaker 4: I got got the Fred van Vliet, the star of the collection so far. I mean, a Anthony Davis would be huge. But I hear Skeets talking about every single Canadian player, Like, are you kidding me?
Speaker 1: There's more players from one state. I got to bring up these Illinois boys.
Speaker 6: I love it. You can showcase guys from wherever, like you just put him in a Yeah.
Speaker 1: It's basically the equivalent of what you were doing with your sexy cards there taking your binder, like, hell, here's all my Calgary flames.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's like yapper labs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, man, reallyant they're not so smart.
Speaker 6: They are so smart making the user generated content.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's right, that's right. We're gonna get to the second All Star Vote returns, But first quick break here from our sponsor all Right, second All Star Vote returns. Lakers Lebron James and the Nets Kevin Durant continue to lead their respective conferences in the second fan returns for All Star voting twenty twenty one dropped yesterday. Let's take a look at the West votes not a whole lot has changed if we were just going by this, and we're not because it's only fifty percent of the vote. In determining the starters, we got Lebron the Joker and Kawhi Leonard as your front court guys in the West, and then Steph Curry and Luka Doncic ekeing out Damian Lillard there for the second spot at the guard spot. Biggest surprise task from our second returns of note to.
Speaker 6: You, well, I guess that no one cares about more than three guards in the West. Just looking at the numbers, you know, Steph over four million, Luca near two and a half, Damian Lillard over two at the top of the Western Conference cards. Then fourth, it's a mere four hundred and seventy nine thousand votes for Donovan Mitchell. That's less than a quarter of the votes of the third guy there. And to top it all off, Clay Thompson, the guy hasn't played, is in eighth right, So nobody cares about beyond Steph Curry, Luka Doncic and Damian Lillard, and my eyes focusing primarily on Donovan Mitchell, who's got the best record in the freaking NBA leading that team, and then Booker and Chris Paul a bunch of guys below him. But just shocking that only those three guys because it seems like there's you know, as far as the voting goes, it's pretty accurate, but as far as who the best players have been this season, but you know, Donald definitely deserves a little bit of love. I guess that's just it's just the media markets not talking about for the media, mainstream media, I guess I should say not talking about the Utah Jazz. I think that's the biggest thing to take away from it, because the Jazz are very, very good, and we're trying to talk about them more here, but no one's listening.
Speaker 1: I guess Lee just went on a Utah Jazz podcast. He's trying to talk up Donna, aren't you. Are you just talking ingles the entire time?
Speaker 7: A little bit of both, Yeah, Yeah, there was plenty of talk there about the Jazz on the Jazz podcast, as you would expect that it would come out later today check my socials for details.
Speaker 4: Ah.
Speaker 7: But it is kind of funny though that the team with the best record, you know, great defense, great offense, and I think they are going to have two All Stars in Mitchell and Gobert, and Gobert isn't even closed. I mean, that's not a huge surprise that he's not in that top ten because centers, you know, tend to not you.
Speaker 3: Know, do all that well in the voting.
Speaker 6: Surprising that he's not top ten, like not above Carmelo Anthony.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean that's you know, he just doesn't get that sort of fan love. But I'd be very very surprised if the Jazz way things stand that I don't have two roll stars. I think the coach is Mitchell, absolutely certain, and I mean I think Garber's too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think you're right. I don't think they get a third in Conley maybe right now a little bit too, But I know you would like to get him in there.
Speaker 6: Lee.
Speaker 1: It's fine, he's played great. I just don't think he will ultimately make it. He'll continue his streak of never making an All Star Game. And I say that's even better for his legacy, to be the best player of all time to never make an All Star Game. Exactly, We'll remember it. He'll always come up. Well, we would always be talking about him. I actually think it hurts his you know, legacy, a little bit of you actually just snuck in one because then we wouldn't talk about him as much. Yeah, I mean, I'm being truthful there. But yeah, the race is here in the West. It's really like all that's left to decide is the third forward? Is it Kawir Anthony Davis? Because that's a somewhat of a close race, though of course the players are going to have a bit of a say and and who else they always forget. The media will have a bit of a say, so I think it will be Kawhi as the third guy, and then Luca or Lillard. That one's a little more intriguing. Even if Luca has the fifty percent of the fan vote. I think the players would lean towards Lillard. My gut says that, and the media that one's that one's probably a toss up. That one. I have no idea which way it would go. I guess it could be there for the taking. Still, if somebody goes on a little hot streak here, still have a bit of time before those votes are cast, so we'll ultimately see. Okay, let's move over to the East Trey, same question. As we take a look I'll just let you know if you're listening, it's Katie, Jannis and dwell embiid. Those are your bigs. Majority of the votes in the front court, Tatum a distant fourth, and then the guards Bradley Beal still in first, and then Kyrie Irving in second, and Harden sort of on his heels there. But biggest surprise from the second fan returns, Trey.
Speaker 4: I don't think these changed at all from the first return. So to me, the biggest question of this is where's Lamello. I wonder if it's just the case of being behind a week. You know, Lamello kind of finished his first full week of starting in the middle of last week, so I don't know when they actually call the data, like we're chopping it off here for the returns, but him not being in the top ten I think is a little bit surprising. He's obviously got a huge social media following, a lot of this voting is taking place online, and he's been a major story in the NBA for this entire week. So maybe when we're talking third returns, we'll see Lamello, you know, down at the bottom near Fred van Vliet and Russell Westbrook because at the very least, he's been more impressive than Russell Westbrook. He's been more impressive than Derek Rose. Colin Sexton had a nice start to the season. But LaMelo is a guy that's obviously in the news a lot right now. He is at least competing with Gordon Hayward to see which of the Charlotte Hornets might be an All Star.
Speaker 1: Pick during during the game.
Speaker 4: And so yeah, I was a little surprised to not see LaMelo, though not really because.
Speaker 1: Because I don't know when when the timeline is with this thing.
Speaker 4: But I assume he will make it to the top ten by the time we actually get to the All Star Game.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, well it's coming up soon. I think they announced the starters next week, next Thursday, and then I know the reserves come pretty quickly after that, I think early then the next week. So we'll have to actually make our selections here on the show after we you know what, we'll just wait. I mean, I know people get so excited about making their All Star picks. You know, Zilla's already done it, More has already done it. Zach Lowe just did it with Kevin Arnovitz. Like people just can't wait.
Speaker 6: To do it. Relax.
Speaker 1: I mean, I started to get worried toasts. I'm like, Jesus, should we have already done this? Like what's going on? But it's like thirty we're doing our picks after the game?
Speaker 6: Yeah no we All Star game is three weeks away.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, Well they're announcing this stuff though pretty soon. I think what we should do though, is let's just wait. At this point, they'll announce the starters on Thursday on TNT, like coming up here, we'll probably have a watch party going on, and then on Friday, so a week from today on the Drop podcast, we'll make our picks for the reserves, because and then we'll at least know who the starters are and that we can make our fill out the rest of the rosters and have our debates. Then makes sense?
Speaker 3: Why not, right?
Speaker 1: Because then I think they announced them actually early next week, like I said on the Tuesday. So all right, anything to add there, Leary from these returns.
Speaker 7: Just that I'm happy that Bradley Beal has held onto his lead there as the leading guard by a big margin too, over Kyrie Irving, because Beal is having a great season, but it's on the Washington Wizards, and that just is not a market that usually gets any sort of national traction, and I'm so happy to see him there. I think he's going to hold that lead. And yeah, so that doesn't automatically mean he'll start, though, he's still got to get thee the.
Speaker 1: Other I think his chances would be high though, Yeah, because the players are gonna I don't see why they would hold Bradley Beal's crap team against them. Yeah, personally, maybe the media does a little bit more, but.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and I think Harden will suffer a little bit from the media vote because of the start of the season. So I think Beal's in a pretty good spot here to be the starter alongside How are.
Speaker 1: You I agree? Okay, let's get two worst of the week ladies and gentlemen, the worst of the.
Speaker 6: Week three nominees for you. Let's start off with Golden State Warriors Draymond Green. You know where I'm going with this one. It's an on court play against the Spurs, nine seconds left down three Steph is hot like fire. Draymond gets the inbound and decides to chuck it up basically from mid court. When you see it, Ah, what is happening. He thought he was getting fouled, but I mentioned nine seconds because he had time to dribble, have a quick sip of coffee, and then pass to Curry who could take his shot. But Draymond decided to go for it. And while he's also the nominee, not just the on court play, but he didn't cop to it. Postgame he was asked about it, he said it was the smartest dumb play in NBA history. What does that mean? I mean you're trying to draw a foul. I guess, yeah, so that's the smart place. But being smart, yeah, yeah, yeah, but you're not gonna draw foul back out there. You got the IQ man, you are the smartest player on the floor. But yeah, you're not gonna And you just missed two free throws.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say what, that's my favorite part. It's like you were gonna knock down three free throws? Were you? They gotta be betty against that. I think the odds are unlikely. But yeah, okay, how often does this work at all?
Speaker 4: Where you chuck up the forty footer because you think you're gonna get fouled. I remember Chris Paul, another notable high IQ guy trying it in the playoffs, chucking up a forty footer because they thought he was gonna get fouled.
Speaker 1: Don't do it, just actually get fouled. I would say, it's the smart play.
Speaker 4: I mean, you're only taking two free throws, but at least you're taking free throws.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, No, it doesn't. It doesn't work often. Definitely not Draymond Green from thirty five feet I would say either.
Speaker 4: Which is why to me, no matter what, it's a dumb play. The odds of it working, it's not gonna happen.
Speaker 6: Man. Yeah, yeah, that.
Speaker 3: Surprised me just with the time.
Speaker 7: If there was one second to go, it was like, okay, there's not really much he could do, but he still had plenty of tons of time just to get it to carry. De Jontay Mary is doing a good job trying to deny Steph, but big time. You know, I think Draymond, just knowing how good he's basketball like you is, you would hold it. Look out, Okay, I've got two or three seconds here to make some sort of play to get it to Steph. Because Steph, Steph needs less than a second to get that shot off. It doesn't matter where he is, it could go in. So that surprised me about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and Trey wroughte it up on the Daily Show after that game. Pop doesn't usually foul too, Like he doesn't do when we're when you're we're up three and you have the ball, we'll play the foul game and we'll do that. He does not do that, So, you know, Draymond should have known that really that it was like sort of unlikely that a guy would come in there and try and just take the quick fellow and maybe you could go to him into the shot and get the ref to give you three. But yeah, not Pop. But anyway, that's a good one.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and it made me think of their last season in Golden State together Draymond and Kevin Durant, where you know, they had the fallout Draymond Green brought the ball up, they didn't give it to Kevin Durant and seemed to be the last moment where they I don't know, it kind of just you know, it was the beginning of the Yeah, for sure, and they play on Saturday ABC.
Speaker 1: Do they really wow?
Speaker 4: I's how people on the stream team were saying, Uh, Steph could go for sixty against the Nets. That's maybe, but it's also a national TV game against the good team, so the Nets are playing defense.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 6: That's also a good point. Yeah, they don't want to play defense, but when it's a good team, don't play defense. Next nominee. Here the Charlotte Hornets because they allowed Kyle Anderson of the Memphis Grizzlies to hit four threes in two minutes in the exact same spot. He's on the far corner, bang all from the exact same spot. This is not a joke. There's five possessions in a row. Kyle Anderson missed on one of them, and he had all the time in the world to chill out. This is a third quarter to start the quarter, and the Charlotte Hornets came out of looking good.
Speaker 1: But that was a quick rely saw that one.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and then he goes slow for the final one, the fourth one. Four straight threes.
Speaker 1: Has some words time out the old Chevy tracks. You got to guard me out here tracks.
Speaker 6: The game was over at that point. They really they couldn't come back after that. And yeah, when a guy hits fourth reach from the exact same spot, that's a good one. Got the final one here. It's a fan of the show who gets Worse of the Week nominee Sam you know No, And he should have, you know, noted a lot better. He's been a fan of the show for a long, long, long, long time and he saw this TBT that I put up. We've shown it a couple of times on the show. Now, ye Sex, it's me hanging out with my sports cards, sorting them out.
Speaker 1: As to my sports cards cards, it's a seductive look for sure.
Speaker 6: I was hanging out there for a long time. This is the TVTS several years ago, and I finally got to sorting them out. And there's a lot of hockey logos in there. There's a Calgary Flames logo very prominent. There's there's other sports cards. But Samuel no No writes hockey cards. Really yeah, I'm Canadian.
Speaker 1: Yeah you know that.
Speaker 6: The show originated in Canada, Sam, you know No. So I understand people don't know what hockey cards are like, they just don't get that people trade hockey cards. But that's my home country where they put the skates on their feet and they skate around and they play the hockey game. And even though I wasn't much of a hockey player. Of course, I loved hockey. Who doesn't love hockey growing up in Canada? Not too many people. Basketball I love more, but samue, no, no, you should have no, not a lot a lot.
Speaker 7: He's usually watching. I can't see him in the stream team here, but.
Speaker 1: Hopefully he's or may we lost a fan.
Speaker 3: Hopefully he would have a retort, but I hope.
Speaker 1: So yeah, what's his possible retort. I guess he's just saying, oh, man, I thought better of you. Tasks. I can't believe you were when they were twelve years old.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, those are those are prime years. Those are good hockey collecting years when I was that young as well, and that's what peak sports cards.
Speaker 1: M Yeah. Oh, I don't remember Tasks when, you know, because we're basically the same age. Like when we were young in Canada especially, I don't really remember buying or wanting basketball cards or baseball cards. It was all hockey cards. I remember, oh, Peache baby.
Speaker 6: Not where I lived. Yeah, I mean it wasn't America. I guess America. Like, yeah, skybox were around in the US, but they weren't. They weren't baseball cards, I guess in the in terms of the rankings, and what are the American cards rankings in the in the nineties, right.
Speaker 4: Like baseball baseball, right, yeah, Baseball cards, and then I would say basketball cards, the upper deck and the skybox sets.
Speaker 1: Particularly for me. For me, it was baseball until.
Speaker 4: Like ninety ninety one, and that's when they started out with the cool skybox and then it was game over.
Speaker 1: I remember I got into a fight with my next door neighbor, Dwayne Kelly over cards. I think, who knows what we're arguing about. We were like ten, but a Grand Furor card got ripped up. I'm furious. Yeah, that was don't worry. We were best friends the next day. It's like, we're next door neighbors. What are we gonna do. We gotta be friends.
Speaker 7: You didn't ever get into a fight with all the sneaky.
Speaker 1: Stinky came later in life. Man, Oh, Grant Fury, he's a Hall of Famer. Huh Yeah, I mean I think it was actually a good card at the time. Yeah, I wish we could take that one back. I think it was like the classic, like we're both holding it, like give it. Yikes, that's a nice one.
Speaker 6: Yeah, rare goalies that caught with their right hand. I don't see too many of those, thank Anyways. Back in my day when I went hockey. It's been been a while since I watch hockey, but yeah, I had thousands of cards and I still have a decent amount. I love when I you know, I shuffle through them and I find a football card. There's a random NFL card in there? What the heck is this?
Speaker 1: What you do?
Speaker 6: People collected NFL cards?
Speaker 1: I get Steve Tasker, shobble Helm Beabie. Did you what was like when you went through it? If you can remember a task like, was there anything where you're like, oh, this might be of some value, like this is a good card or a rookie card for anyone in particular or.
Speaker 6: Not not that one that went that I didn't know prior. Like I have, I've got some a lot of Calgary flames and screw down cases like oh that if you got a fight with Dwayne Kelly and you want to use a screwed down case against them, you could do some serious right right, hurt somebody with that, yeah, serious concussion. But and nothing that popped up like oh this guy was a scrub. And I mean it's been so long that Uh, you know, just I would have already gone through right right you.
Speaker 1: I'm bling upon like a Ken Griffy Junior card.
Speaker 2: I have it.
Speaker 6: I have a Ken Griffy. I had the whole set. I went, there you go. I collected that one through eight hundred.
Speaker 1: There you go, the whole set.
Speaker 6: Yeah, not buying a box.
Speaker 1: You know this guy talks. When this guy talks cards, it's always shirt off. Let's get sexy. Let's talk cars.
Speaker 6: I might I might wear my John Oldrude hard hat, but nothing else on yours.
Speaker 1: The little uh, the little cup you would get ice cream and that's what you're talking about. Okay, great stuff. Sorry Sam for being one of the worst of the week nominees. Let's get to tweet of the night. And like I said, uh, it's up in the air. Who's even gonna take this? But JAD hit the music, tweet the.
Speaker 6: Night, tweet out the night.
Speaker 1: Wow, we left it on Happy Hour last night. I mean there was some like negotiations going on, like task is asking Lee and then we were like, hey, what about JD hasn't done it, And I'm like, you know what, technically I did a top five and should I do it? Anyway? We left it. I think at saying, hey, everybody, come with a good tweet and we'll just figure it out on the fly. So does anyone want to get started a tasked? Like, do you want to just like jump in with your your tweet of the night and then we will determine whether we just leave it or somebody else will try and one up you.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, yeah, let's start us off. First of all, I asked Lee on Twitter yesterday, you know what Twitter needs? I'm not Twitter on slacks sorry, Yeah, you know what slack needs. It needs a red feature like this man has red slack mass. Because I said that, Lee just went radio silence on me. He didn't want to respond because he didn't want to do it. I understand, No, no, no, you sent it. Let me see what time you sent it. Let me see what time it was early It was coot, just to check, so.
Speaker 7: You sent it thirty one. I was horizontal ride into the barren steam beds at that time, so I didn't say it until I came down.
Speaker 6: I saw a red dot on your on your on your name. I think you're around.
Speaker 3: I guess you're but that Yeah, my laptop was open.
Speaker 1: My computer. Well, next time pull down the little thing read reading Berenstein Bears as your status.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean you know I had to because I know I was coming straight back down to help stride into the stream. So I had the computer, I had the laptop, but you know I wasn't around.
Speaker 6: All right, that's why it needs a red feature on Slack. All right, tweeted and Night. I'll start us off. If you saw the Warriors want to Scano Anderson a ridiculous celebration Classic Warriors, Steph Curry hitting a shot but once to skin. Anderson celebrates way before Steph Curry puts it up. He goes, He goes like full Chris Douhan with the you know, the the arm. Yeah, full rotation on the floor. So that's awesome for him. Then Bleacher Report tweeted out the video, which was their caption was sta Curry's teammate very excited, So want Ton Anderson said, Hello, I've got a name. He got to Twitter and he retweeted Bleach Report said, Hi, I'm Steph's teammate. My name's one So I just like that with the emoji with the hand raised.
Speaker 1: It's me.
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: His Twitter handle is one on one.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: It is incredible. I wish it's It's strange. I don't know why he went with ten yea his number. He's wearing fifty eight right on the floor.
Speaker 1: Ninety five.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's a real benbri with it, is he.
Speaker 6: It's a defensive alignment out there with the y I wish it was one on one ninety five. Who cares? One on one is great? Yeah, I want to point that out too. So just a great little exchange there from one. Hi. I'm STEP's teammate.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's that's good. That's a great tweet. I mean, I'm going to sit this one out. I already played my card anyway with that weird mellow mellow face swap thing from Yennick. But lead you want to try and one upcast or do you want to let it lie?
Speaker 7: Well I'm happy to let it lie. I did have one, but it's not as good as that.
Speaker 3: Oh wow, okay, perfect.
Speaker 1: Okay, Trey, what do you want? What you want?
Speaker 6: One?
Speaker 1: Skits?
Speaker 5: Do you want?
Speaker 2: Want?
Speaker 1: You tell me?
Speaker 6: Man?
Speaker 1: You know the tweets all right here we go.
Speaker 4: Oh wow, this tweet comes to you from no dump Sinc. Which NBA player would you at least want to fall on you. We asked that question on our Twitter, a lot of great responses. We nailed the majority of responsors. You see a lot of people we're voting for Zion, a lot of people coming through for Boban yep. But my favorite answer was somebody who shouted out an old Illinois boy, Thomas Hamilton, who they said the Rockets broadcast used to call Thomas handle Hamilton two sandwiches.
Speaker 1: This was a massive man.
Speaker 4: He was like listed at seven to three hundred and thirty pounds. They called this guy two sandwiches on the broadcast. We were talking about having six or five six inch subs on Happy Hour, but two sandwiches.
Speaker 1: I would not like to have that enough? All right, what was this good? What was his real name again? You said something Thomas Hamilton, Thomas Hamilton was on Broadway. My name is Thomas two sandwiches. That's good. Yeah. We had a lot of great responses that. There was a lot of fackle falls too, I saw, oh yeah, yeah, just a lot of course big dudes that you wouldn't want falling on you.
Speaker 6: G D.
Speaker 1: I want to bring in here. I know, uh, you might have a tweet too, any anything.
Speaker 5: Oh, I'm is prepared. I try to be prepared. But first of all, Lee, did you really have a tweet because you didn't send me one? That's yeah, I was.
Speaker 7: My mine was Mine was a verbal one because it was Bill Russell. Like you've seen them. They're going around lately, the Jordan and Tom Brady, you know, with their rings. And then you just have Bill Russell's great on Twitter and he he just tweeted at that picture of him, you know where he's like that just says you're you're getting closer.
Speaker 3: That's all.
Speaker 1: That's good. It's his birthday, I believe today.
Speaker 3: I think that's right. Yeah it was.
Speaker 1: I think it's yesterday today. But I saw the photo of him with like a million candles on it, so happytato the great Bill Russell. Okay, but you didn't send the tweet in.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I sort of thought, I know someone else is going to have a better one, and I can just say mine because we've all seen that part.
Speaker 5: We've all seen the photo. A visual tweet.
Speaker 7: Well's listen, I'm thinking about our audio listeners as well.
Speaker 1: I'm like that does oh yeah, now you are yes.
Speaker 6: Interesting if you want to add me to the Worst of the Week nominees because I brought this upon you. Oh no, I could have easily just done tweeted the week.
Speaker 3: Now I'm making So who's doing tweet on Monday?
Speaker 7: Then let's let's get this settled right now. I know well JD likes to have the whole weekend to get once.
Speaker 3: I do you want it on.
Speaker 5: My because I'm about to do one now, so I need some ber So.
Speaker 1: I'll do Monday. I'll do Monday. I'll do money right, all right?
Speaker 5: So my tweet comes from, uh, Terry was taken? At Terry was taken, and it's he tweeted he or she tweeted. No ducks, you have to bring back the mellow drop for tomorrow. Okay. So we get these all the time, and then specifically at me, please please bring it. It's fine, it's fine.
Speaker 4: But.
Speaker 6: It's polite.
Speaker 5: It's polite, it's it's it's people love it here it is. But I have to confess something. I hate that drop. I've always hated it. What I don't know what it is. I just don't like it.
Speaker 1: It's oh, I disagree that everybody loves it.
Speaker 5: I get it, but there's certain things I think I just where it comes from. I didn't like I didn't like the parody song, you know, and it just it just bugs me. It just gets on me, you know how sometimes things get under your skin, and it's just every time it comes up and like huge eye roll from me, and then.
Speaker 1: And then yeah, people are gonna be so excited to hear that again though.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, they're They're going crazy in the in the chad when I I was just like, okay, it's a drop. I don't know.
Speaker 1: Can you can you go get a swim up bar looking good?
Speaker 5: I really like that and I get it, I mean I can, well, yeah it's possible, can I not?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 1: No, I don't mean right this second. I'll tweet at you and ask and say please.
Speaker 5: But perfect. That will be my tweet of the night next week. So so wait, wait and then I'll create one and then that'll be that's that's perfect.
Speaker 1: Maybe we can reach out to Cam Stuart and get a photo of him out of swim up which has to exist. Yeah right, it's got it out there a last Gabe too. Maybe he has it.
Speaker 6: You know. You know, Cam had a waterproof camera that was strapped to his wrist hold up to the swim up bar with oh yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we'll try and get the photo of cam if it exists at a swim up bar, add the element, the video element to the the photo element to the audio drop, and then there we go pop. Yeah, okay, great, Yeah, that was a really convoluted tweet of the night. Let's not do that again.
Speaker 3: It's just you're on Monday. I'm lucky, I know right now, you're on Monday. All right, all right, what about this tweet?
Speaker 1: What about this tweet? Pigum results. It was the Raptor Celtics game. Celtics were favored by three and a half. We talked a little bit about this game. They got the victory, Ojelai and Pritchard catching fire. So Lee, you swerved. You had the Celtics, you had the Beantown boys. You're marching with them right now. So you got the victory. Your four and five lost for everybody else. Drops tass to night at four and five and trays right behind us at three and six. So not the greatest start here for your boys in February. Like to see us get over five hundred or at least a couple of us. So let's try and do that tonight tasks what's the game? Where are we going? There's like twenty six games on this weekend, but obviously focusing on Friday night to night. Where do you want to go?
Speaker 6: Big battle tonight, Battle of the two best teams? No one really wants to talk about Bucks versus the Jazz. Jazz are one in the West and a team that's getting pretty close to number one in the East. I believe they're one and a half back the Philadelphia seventy six ers in Utah, which is important. The Bucks are traveling, they are on their road swing, but played pretty well until that loss on Wednesday night against the Phoenix Suns when Yannis had forty seven and almost won them the game at the end. So Bucks versus the Jazz trace start us up.
Speaker 4: I think I'm gonna go with the Jazz here. They've been playing really well and they're at home. Maybe the Bucks are tired.
Speaker 6: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I don't know if that's actually going to be the case, but I really like what I've been seeing from the Jazz lately. They went on a huge win streak, lost the game, started in another huge win streak.
Speaker 1: Great stuff. I am locking in the Jazz for sure. Isn't this like a no brainer? It's a Friday night. The Utah Jazz will dominate the Bucks tonight, and we will not be here to talk about it because we won't have a podcast tomorrow. This one. I'm going Utah one and a half. That's it. Yeah, that's what's gonna happen here, Lely, Are you going with us?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 7: No, Drew Holiday, but no Mike Conley for the Jazz kind of cancels each other out. The Jazz has just been playing pretty convincing basketball lately.
Speaker 3: I think they've got what is it, one and a half points?
Speaker 7: You said, Testy, I think they got two points in I'm sorry yet, Jazz tassy.
Speaker 1: I swerve.
Speaker 6: I just don't like I don't like a four man. Yeah, so I think I like the four man Yeah, who knows? Who the heck knows? But the Bucks have been playing very well. But yeah, Drew Holiday not being able to guard don Van Mitchell hurt the other night when he couldn't guard to perspone them book or but maybe they've learned.
Speaker 1: Maybe the Bucks have learned, okay, task taking the Bucks, task taking a walk? Everybody else has you taught to win by two or more. Good luck. Okay, let's add with a little rapid fire fun. I'll ask the questions. This week, after it was reported that the Mavericks had not played the national anthem this season, the NBA issued a statement basically saying, uh f that noise, you're all playing it, and Mark Cuban's response was Okay, Now, this is obviously a somewhat serious issue, and many people have strong opinions about whether we should keep or as the tradition of playing the anthem. But let's have some fun with it. This is rapid fire after all. Guys, if you were in church and we got to replace the national anthem with any song you want, what song are you picking? And why leave?
Speaker 7: Yeah? Well, people didn't even know the anthem wasn't being played in Dallas. They quite a few people got upset. They all got horny for the anthem again. So if you want to get horny before a game, let's get real horny. Let's go with I Want Your Sex by George Michael. Let's get everyone up there dancing and jivick.
Speaker 3: I don't get people in.
Speaker 1: The mood for a game of basketball. Okay, Yeah, we'll take our shirts off open some cards. Yeah, all right, to ask, where are you going?
Speaker 6: I'm not going sexy. I'm gonna go, you know, excited. I'm going a little off the board for me. Enter Sandman by Metallica. Oh wow, okay, Like it's it's kind of like Trey's Big Beef bit. At first you're into it and I'm but the intro lasts a little bit too long, so maybe you might you might just you know, drop out for a secon. But then it comes back with a vengeance and you can't stop. It's a slow build, but not too slow a build, and before you know you're banging bodies with everybody around you ready to watch some basketball. So I think that's a it's a good pump up.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, Trey, I have a wild guess where you're gonna go with this one. But what's the song you're picking to replace the anthem with? And why?
Speaker 4: I don't think you're gonna guess what I am picked? What do you think it was gonna be?
Speaker 7: Well?
Speaker 1: I thought you might just go like classic nineties high school basketball warm up song, like a rough Rider's anthem, my national anthem, Yeah, rough Rider's anthem. Yeah stop dropped, shut them down, Open up shop. That's a great choice.
Speaker 4: I actually wish I would have picked that now, but I think I have one that has universal approval, which is tough to find these days.
Speaker 1: American Girl by Tom Petty.
Speaker 4: Okay, it's about America, about somebody from America, and it would have a great sing along part, you know, once you get to the part where I assume the anthem performer would be doing the part that goes, oh yeah, all right, take an easy baby, make it last all night, and then the rest of the audience chimes in with them, make at.
Speaker 1: All night, being magical perform I'm so happy I asked that question. Great answers, guys. Next one, The Raptors announced Thursday, tests slipped this into the show that they will finish the twenty twenty twenty one season in Tampa, Florida. Because of ongoing border restrictions due to the pandemic, and mindful of public safety measures in Canada, team has decided they will just continue to play their home games down south. So we all miss home. We haven't been home in a long time. I say home. I know trays in Illinois, boy, but you lived in Toronto for a long time. We obviously all did. Guys, what will be the first thing you do when you are allowed to safely travel to Toronto again? And I don't want like, you know, see friends and family, that's a no brain early. I want something, you know, something maybe specific to the city. What are you doing?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 7: First off, I hope I'm a lad back into the country because my current visa has expired, so I'm going to have to get that taken care of. Okay, I'm going to the dam forth. I'm going to Libretto Pizza. I'm having the Duck on Feet pizza and if that's not open, I'm going to Bomb me Boys and I'm getting the duck little bomb visa I have there.
Speaker 3: I just come like, this guy.
Speaker 1: Just wants some duck, big duck.
Speaker 7: As soon as as soon as I get my passport stamp, I'm just ordering straight away and saying the text he just take me straight to Libretto's. I'll go to the hotel of a house where I'm saying afterwards, those pizzas are amazing.
Speaker 1: All right, this guy getting me hungry here lately. I love it, Tas. What are you doing? First thing you're doing in Toronto? Once we can go back.
Speaker 6: I'll join you on the dance fourth Lee. I'm gonna have myself a night. I probably won't go to librettos, but I'll go to Mazes for some good Greek food, because we struggle for that here in Atlanta. Sometimes you go to a little zaid Zekie pump for what you think would be a Zizekie pump, and all you get is ranch sat us. Here there's a there's so many mistakes being made here in Atlanta when it comes to Greek food. So I'm going to Missess. That's a Zekie pump. Yeah, Like there's like a there's a restaurant here with a full vat of what you would believe would be to Zekie, like one of those what you think is a ketchup punk Like there's so much of that white, creamy sauce in there. It's so popular, but it's freaking ranch at a Greek restaurant Saint mid Middle of America, where everybody loves the ranch. We're in a Greek restaurant, right, and you get ranch anyway. So I'm going to massess all right.
Speaker 1: I can't believe the da Zekie pump didn't come up during our splooge talk on NBA Happy Hour last night.
Speaker 6: It almost said, and then I'm going for a for a pet at Athens Bakery with it cispy, and then we'll break some glasses as we drink uzo into one am. That's that's when they call it on dan Forth, it's going home world.
Speaker 1: That's late for us.
Speaker 6: That's pretty good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, that's a great one, Trey. What are you doing first thing in Toronto? I'm getting food too.
Speaker 4: I just want to be walking down the street three am in the morning, stop in for a shwarma somewhere.
Speaker 1: Oh oh, man, shwarma.
Speaker 4: You don't have a quick shwarma place around here. The last time I had shwarma was making it myself out of Danielle's cookbook. An incredible recipe, turned out great, but I had.
Speaker 1: To make it.
Speaker 4: And you know, I don't got the pickling vegetables skills that you're getting inside of Ali Bab is a good one. I suppose there's a bunch of different shwarma shops, but uh oh yeah, the various sauces. You know, they tend to have more of a vat rather than a pump. But different sauces for different pluses like I say, give me a schwarma.
Speaker 1: Ah right, great answers. Final one, The Daily Dings daved to four introduced the concept of the Athletic podcast Universe this week, and Trey said that I was Thanos because I threatened to snap my fingers and destroy the NBA Happy Hour if we didn't reach thirty thousand subscribers. Now, luckily we did, Happy Hour went off without a hitch again how to blast go check it out. But if that makes if I'm Thinos and that makes me the super villain, I want to know that makes you guys in the of course Marvel universe. So we're doing this a little differently, Lee, which Marvel character is Tass?
Speaker 7: You know, I'm going all visual with this one because of the tvt that task posted yesterday and I found the absorbing Man all the Crusher what I googled? I googled Marvel characters and I thought, I'm not just going to go with one of the obvious ones. I want to dig a little deeper. And I thought, based on what we saw yesterday from Tassy, I think this is him.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, the Crusher.
Speaker 1: Can you fill in the blank here on this guy? Is this a real character? Who is it?
Speaker 5: I have never never heard of him.
Speaker 1: It's real.
Speaker 5: When I saw this, I thought it was Samman for some reason.
Speaker 1: But now that's the Absorbing Man.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 7: He appeared in Marvel Agents of Shield season two, episode one. Maybe this is like egg Candy Batman with I just racha, isn't it like?
Speaker 6: All right?
Speaker 3: Yeah, let's just get it.
Speaker 1: That guy absorbs old nineties hockey cards strong. That's just superow. I see there's em one. Okay, Hey, it's your answer now.
Speaker 3: Task.
Speaker 1: Which Marvel character is Trey?
Speaker 6: Vacillated between two options here? Captain America the classic being the only American on this show. It makes sense, but it doesn't really put the personality I think.
Speaker 1: So I don't always do the right thing right he.
Speaker 6: Does personality wise, This isn't a perfect match, but more Root's big, he's woodsy. You know you could get a car Heart sponsorship.
Speaker 4: Voiced by Vin Diesel catch phrases, it's perfect. I am car Heart.
Speaker 1: That's a good answer. He likes it too, so he's all I love it all right. Finishes off here tray. Which Marvel character is Lee?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 4: Same team as tassies Lee. According to myself, and Joe Khindos says that Lee is Drags the Destroyer, the Dave Bautista character from Guardians at the Galaxy. He sees the world his way and then he states it plainly, and it is always hilarious and just like Task and the Absorbing Man are both obviously jacked, same with Lee and Drags the Destroyer.
Speaker 3: Right killing it.
Speaker 1: Man, it's so good. I guess we'll end this off by asking the stream team or anyone listening you can tweet at us, who does that make JD? In the Marvel universe? JD? Does ayone come to mind? Anyone you would love to be associated with?
Speaker 5: Who I am? Yeah, I'm I'm sure.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, just with the the giant beard.
Speaker 5: Well, I've been I got a big beard or gained some weight, and I've been gained a little bit of weight over this pandemic. So I'm incredibly sexy. I'm I'm from a far away land that you literally have to cross a rainbow bridge to get to.
Speaker 1: So nice, done, nice.
Speaker 5: I don't know so, and I You're like.
Speaker 1: Sort of you're pretty blunt, but I feel like thor is like just gets to the point, right.
Speaker 5: Yep, Yeah, I'm pretty pretty good with a hammer. Yep, all right, not really, but I enjoy holding a hammer.
Speaker 4: That counts. All right, you do have godlike powers of production, I would say, as well, you actually have skills compared to the rest of us running around with crossbows, bows and arrows and a knife.
Speaker 1: And yeah, I know he was only saying it because I was threatening to get rid of happy hoard. I am definitely not fanos. I'm a man. Apparently, as people were saying the last three, what's sure he's the funniest. Yeah, I like man. Oh he does get huge too, doesn't he.
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I forgot about that part. Oh that's cool. All right, Uh, that's it. Let's wrap it up there, Rapid Fire Fun. Thanks so much for joining us again for another drop podcast. New No Dunks items, well somewhat new. We always got new items coming, so keep your eye on it. No dunks dot Com got hoodies, t shirts, shorts, mugs, gotta wrap the brand, and if you do, take a photo, ad us on Instagram or Twitter and we'll hit you at the reteet retweet. We'll share it for sure. Treat yourself to an Athletic subscription. Go to the Athletic dot Com Slash No Dunks three ninety nine a month for the best damn sports running in the world. Be a part of the podcast uh Athletic Podcast Universe, as Dave de four has called it. I love it. Who's Dave defour that great question? Yeah, I'll have to think on that one over the weekend.
Speaker 3: He's a defender of the galaxy.
Speaker 1: Okay, sure, sure, sure, other than absorbing man.
Speaker 5: Kind of.
Speaker 6: As Dave Bautista's character.
Speaker 1: Right right, Okay, So yeah, go get that subscription the Athletic dot Com Slash No Duck so they know that we sent you three ninety nine a month. Again, continue to like and comment and subscribe and share the YouTube, show the channel with all of your friends. We really appreciate it. Nice to be over thirty thousand. Now we make our march to forty thousand. Thanks for joining us. Clipper Rose, you heard it here first. Have a great time turn up. Love you guys awesome.
Speaker 6: Thanks for joining us. And remember, Dave Bautista's first name is Dave. I just had to google that because he goes by Bautista. Now it just seems like he doesn't have another name. You know. He's one of those one of those guys now, but he used to be Dave Bautista. Am I right? Wwe guys, I guess see you went Bautista there too.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, I mean people called him at times Dave Batista. I guess yeah. Happy International Dave Day. Everyone, embrace the weekend. People you say.
Speaker 6: Every day, happy every Nameame.
Speaker 1: It's been so long that you're the one I've wait for.
Speaker 6: Its happened already. It's going to be good.