Speaker 1: What's going on. Rich DeMuro here, Rich on tech Live. Welcome to the show. This is where we talk about technology and getting the most out of your gadgets. My name is Rich Dmuro. I am your host. I'll be leading you through the next forty five minutes to an hour of tech questions and answers. We'll talk technology. Lots of cool stuff happening in the tech world, like SpaceX launching its first space Internet satellites. We've got what to expect from the big mobile cell phone show that's gonna happen this weekend in Barcelona. We've got the tragic the tragic decision of iPhone versus Pixel. Amazon and Apple is upgrading their AirPods. Lots of stuff going on. There's always so many things happening in the tech world. We'll get to hopefully all those stories. But most importantly, I will be taking your phone phone calls at the phone number you see three one zero five to nine four three zero zero three three one zero five nine four three zero zero three. If this is the first time you're seeing me, well that's a surprise because I don't know how you found me. But welcome to everyone watching on Facebook Live. If you've done this before. Thanks so much for joining me once again. You know that this is all done by me, So I'm I'm like, I got a lot of stuff going on here, so sometimes there's little glitches, but most of the time it does work. And primarily I'm here for you. I just want to answer your tech question. So if you have one, go ahead and dial me up on the phone line and I will get to you to answer your tech questions. And of course you can also leave a chat on the Facebook Live and I will get to some of those questions as well. So let's talk real quick, because I find this so fascinating that SpaceX launched the first of many many satellites. It launched two Space Internet satellites, the first of nearly twelve thousand, So twelve thousand satellites they're going to launch. And here's the thing we all complain about our Internet, you know, Well, this is the best part is that they want to blanket the entire United States with Space Internet. So this would just be amazing. They would have a set of satellites, twelve thousand satellites orbiting the Earth. And here's the thing. They're not stationary satellites. These satellites would move, so four thousand of them would sit about seven hundred miles up, seventy five hundred of them would sit about two hundred miles up, and they have to move around at all times. And the Wall Street Journal says that in twenty seventeen, the company expects to have more than forty million subscribers to the service by twenty twenty five, amounting to thirty billion dollars in revenue. So this is a this is something big that's happening in our world. So when we think about our internet, one of the common complaints I get is I'm paying too much and I'm not getting the best speed. And if you have Internet that comes over like satellite already, you know that it's painfully slow if you live out in rural areas well. This is going to change all that. Apparently, they're not going to put up satellites that put super slow internet. This is gonna be fast Internet. I call it laser internet because it just sounds so awesome. But think about it. When you could blanket the entire Earth and have a signal theoretically anywhere you go, what kind of implications does that have for our technology, for our world, and Elon Musk is really really killing it with all his things that he's doing. So if you were in LA, they did the second launch today, but obviously you might be listening to this a little bit later, so this is just the first of twelve thousand. Wow, that's so crazy to think about. But here's the thing. Obviously this is probably going to be pretty expensive at the beginning, but the prices will come down over time, or maybe it won't be that expensive. I remember when Sirius XM launched and it was such a big deal because it was the first time you could have a coast to coast radio. Do you remember that was like in two thousand or two thousand and one. They had billboards all over LA when that happened. But now we're gonna see the same thing with internet. So just imagine serious XM radio but Internet anywhere you go. And yeah, there's some dropouts here and there, but for the most part, the reality of this is going to be amazing Internet everywhere you go. I can't wait. Let's see what you guys are saying on the Facebook Live. Joe says very cool, Dominic says SpaceX great launch. Let's see what else we have here. Let's see. Joe Anne says, I did not know SpaceX was about the Internet, so cool, though I'm worried about the lack of net neutrality though, yeah, I hear you, the lack of net neutrality. This is a private enterprise, so you know, we'll see what happens with this. But I have good feelings for Elon. I feel like he does the right thing and I think he's looking out for us. And Chris says Serious was like eight bucks a month, so yeah, that's the funny thing about Serious XM. It started out really cheap, and it just keeps getting more and more expensive. So yeah, I don't know about that one. We'll see. We'll see how expensive satellite internet is, all right. Phone lines open three one zero five nine four three zero zero three three one zero five nine four three zero zero three. Michael says it's going to be a big boon to autonomous driving, and Kat says, I love the idea of internet everywhere, especially for my husband. All right, let's get to our ope. We had our first caller that got a little little shy there, so they hung up there they are, all right, first caller five five nine, you're on with Rich. Who am I speaking with?
Speaker 2: Hey Rich, this is Wayne from Presde California. Hey Wayne, how's it going.
Speaker 1: I'm doing great? How are you doing good?
Speaker 3: Good?
Speaker 2: Thanks thanks for taking my call. Watch you on KTLA whenever I can get in the LA area.
Speaker 1: So awesome.
Speaker 2: Thanks for doing the show.
Speaker 1: Thanks for.
Speaker 2: I am looking into getting a Wi Fi router because my Apple expressions are pretty much fight in the dust. I'm looking at the Eero. Okay, what do you think about the Euro? I know it's very expensive.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's very expensive. Here's the deal. That's the one that I have. It is the best, in my opinion. I've tried a couple of them. I love the Euro because, first off, they invented the category. So basically, while everyone else was doing these extenders and boosters, Ero was like, you know what, let's just do something totally different. And it's been around for a couple of years. Like I used to see that sees. The problem was it was prohibitively expensive. Now it's just expensive. But I will tell you the setup is simple, the service is amazing. The actual devices are super clean. They fit in. If you're an Apple guy, you had an airport extreme you clearly like design. These things are well designed. And I will tell you I pay for one hundred Internet all around my house. You know, that's what comes in at the source, and I get one hundred down every single corner of my house. My father in law, who has a larger home than I do, we install this in his place. And he used to have spotty, spotty internet everywhere. We used to have all kinds of extenders and all stuff going on. In his place. We put euro in. He's gotten four or five of those things in every corner. And I'm telling you, he gets a hundred in every corner of his house. It is unbelievable. The only other one that now here's the downside, Wayne, is that Eero is a startup. You heard that they just laid off a bunch of people a couple of weeks ago. So there's always yeah, so there's always the risk of Euroo going under. And if they go under, then you know, it doesn't bode very well for the system because it is it is a Wi Fi system. Now, it probably would rely on their back end servers and things like that to operate like your standard Wi Fi router or your standard router. I guess I should say that would still pretty much work. Now there's a couple other ones out there. Let's see what's the other one that people like. I think it's called Orby is the other one that people like as well, and this is Netgear. Now, Netgear's been around forever and Orby is their big brand. So you can kind of compare those and see which one you like. But personally, I love my hero. I think it's fantastic and I would go with it for sure, And you're gonna love.
Speaker 2: It fantastic, thank you very much. Yeah, it's my expresses and my extremes are slowly as taking a dive. And since Apple's that gonna supported anymore, I need to move on as something else.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think I think you'll be really happy with it. It's just great how you can manage it too. It's all from your phone. The way you set them up is all through your smartphone. It actually tells you, like, hey, you need to put this in a little bit further away or a little bit closer, and you can add onto your system as you go along. So I told this story last show, but basically I was at my brother in law's house and his internet was pretty spotty. And I said, look, we got to go out and get you Eero. And we went to best Buy and I kind of talked to the best Buy guy because I love euro and he said, well, Orby's also selling pretty hot. But you know, I decided on the Ero at the end of the day because that's the one I have, and he just loves it. So he and he has more stuff than I do. He's got all kinds of cameras and all kinds of stuff set up in his place, Chrome Cast Sonos, and it's handling it like a champ. So you'll be very happy.
Speaker 2: All right, Thank you so much for your time.
Speaker 1: All right, Wayne, thanks for calling in. I appreciate it. Phone number is three one zero five nine four three zero zero three. Let's just go right to seven one four seven one four. You're on with Rich. Who might I speaking with Rich?
Speaker 4: It's Debbie and I'm calling you back from last show because you did recommend to be getting the Orby and I purchased it.
Speaker 1: Love it and you love it? Okay, So how was it to set up? How much was it? First?
Speaker 4: Super easy on Amazon?
Speaker 2: It was about two hundred and fifty.
Speaker 1: Bucks okay for what that's a two packs the.
Speaker 4: Two pack, but it covers five thousand square feet, so it's more than enough. And the setup was super easy. It was literally plug it in and it walked you through on the app on your phone how to do it. And I can't even say enough about it. I'm getting great speeds. I'm getting over one hundred speed, which is bizark, So I'm not paying for over one hundred.
Speaker 1: Yeah, mine will go up to one twenty sometimes and I pay for one hundred. I think it's just the way the networks are set up. They you know, they can regulate them only I'm sure there's a plus or minus a little bit on each side. And so what are you able to do now? So what were you not able to do before? And what can you do now?
Speaker 4: I had just a ton of dead spots throughout my house and I work from home. My speeds were really slow. I was dropping calls on my phone. So now I hook up Wi Fi, you know, call on my phone too, no issues, and we can you know, we can. I can use my laptop, somebody else can be on the computer and we just don't have any issues with any connection. Connectivity.
Speaker 1: Isn't that Isn't that amazing? Because for so many years. Okay, so here's how Wi Fi this was like the progression of Wi Fi. First off, we get Wi Fi and we're just like amazed that it works right. And then all of a sudden we start to do all this stuff and Wi Fi can't really keep up, and now we hate Wi Fi because it never works right. And now we're back to this world with these new systems where Wi Fi is actually amazing. And when you have one of these systems and you see how great your internet connection can be everywhere, it really does open up your mind again because you're like, oh, wait a second, I can use my computer outside a little bit, you know, outside my back door, or I can use this there. I'm also looking at the ORB website and I like how it has the ports on the back too. That's something that you need to look at because when you're.
Speaker 4: Shopping for we have our TV put plugged directly into that too for that piece of it. So when we use our smart TV, yeah, it runs much faster hardwire. Oh yeah, it's awesome.
Speaker 1: That is one benefit. Because the new some of the on my eurosystem, they have these things called beacons, and they actually ditched the Ethernet jacks on the back of those, which I don't like because the original eros all had them. So that is something to look out for if you're if you're buying one of these systems, you know, think about that you want to have an Ethernet port on the back of these things, or at least some of them, because you want to have that option. Like here in my office, I do want a wired ethernet because sometimes I need to plug in like a server or right now my computer is plugged in hardwire. So that's just one consideration to have. But the more you know about these things, the better. So I'm glad to hear that you like it. And did you set it up all by yourself or what.
Speaker 4: I did it all by myself?
Speaker 1: How long did that take?
Speaker 4: And it's like probably fifteen twenty minutes and it was up.
Speaker 1: And running, Debbie, I'd love to hear it. Well, I'm glad that you called me and said you liked what I recommended, and not not to call me and tell me you hated what I recommended.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, thanks for your help and our family much easier.
Speaker 1: In the house, beautiful. Thanks so much for watching and calling in again for the update. I do appreciate it. Debbie, thanks so much. Wow, that's so cool. I love hearing this stuff. So Wayne says that the euro Pro has Ethernet jacks, which is good. Dominic says, what about Luma? Okay, So here's the deal with Luma. That's the first one that I purchased, and I bought it because Amazon backed the company, and so I said, well, clearly they're going to be around forever. And I haven't heard anything about them ever since. So I had them for two years or so and it was great. The system is great. In fact, I've got it in a box and I'm gonna bring it to my dad's place and I'm gonna set it up at his house because he really needs the internet connection there. So it is working. It's just I just don't know what the deal is with Luma. I haven't really heard much about that. So this weekend is the big Mobile World Congress, which is happening in Barcelona, Spain. I've actually never been to this show. I've been to so many of these little tech shows all over the world. Mobile World Congress I have not been to, which is crazy. But it is one of these big tech shows and they show off a lot of new phones. But here's the thing. The problem with all of these tech shows at this point is that Number one, a lot of these tech companies will have meetings with you before, they call them pre briefings, so I can meet with them early and get the same information as going to Barcelona without the trip. Now, don't get me wrong, I want to go to Barcelona. It just so happened that this trip, you know, kind of springs up on me. At KTLA, there's certain times in the year when I don't like to take any time to travel because we're in special like right now, it's called SWEEPS, which means you kind of want all hands on deck because it's a ratings period at KTLA, so you want to be there every day. So if I'm out traveling, that means that I'm not in studio, and they don't like that, and neither do I. That's just kind of the rule of thumb with SWEEPS. So anyway, I'm not going. But here's the thing. We're gonna see new cell phones in the next week or so from Samsung, LG, Sony, Motorola, and perhaps BlackBerry, So you got to keep an eye out for that news. I know that I'm gonna have some news with Samsung with their new phones, if you can believe it, their new devices. We're already due for an upgrade on those, so we've seen a lot of rumors online about that. But we're supposed to hear I think they said it's a twenty fifth is when we're gonna hear about Samsung. Yeah, that's Sunday. So Sunday the twenty fifth is when we'll hear about the Galaxy S nine, and I'm assuming S nine plus LG they're gonna have a new phone. The problem is, man, when it comes to phones, it has really become a two horse race, like Apple and Samsung commands so much to the market and everyone else is just trying to get the scraps. But if I had to recommend other phones that I'm really loving these days outside of those two big powerhouse devices. Obviously, the Google Pixel is great, but it's a very small device. It only appeals to a certain amount of people. It's got the best camera. But Motorola is doing really nice stuff with their lineup of it's like the Z four or something like that. They've got some really nice devices there. And then LG I really we got to figure out what's going on with them, because I was really disappointed with their last phone, the G six, And hopefully they will upgrade their camera and make things a little bit better. I love the design of it. It's just other than that, it was not that great. All right, phone line, it is open three one zero five to nine four three zero zero three three one zero five to nine four three zero zero three. And Allison says, I loved my BlackBerry. Yes, we all loved our Blackberries back in the day. MJ says, wow, BlackBerry is making a comeback. And yes, they do have a BlackBerry. It's called the key one that they came out with last year, and I think they're gonna come up with something this year again. And MJ says, wow, is BlackBerry making a comeback? And Alison said, is pixel really that great? Yes, it is great. It is. Here's the deal, and this leads me to my next story. Actually, the pixel is not just great. It is phenomenal, Like I'm talking leaps and bounds ahead of any device that I've ever tested when it comes to their camera. But here's the secret of it. The camera is really not that good. It's actually what Google is doing in the background of processing your pictures, so I call them fake pictures because they're so Google is actually using artificial intelligence to affect them. So that's really what's happening with your picture. So these other companies really have to catch up with that. And I'm really talking about the low light pictures. That's where it counts. All right, eight and eight you're on with rich Who am I speaking with?
Speaker 3: Hey?
Speaker 1: Richard?
Speaker 5: Steve? How you doing?
Speaker 1: Oh Steve, I'm doing fantastic. Where are you calling from?
Speaker 5: Calling from the San Fernanda Valley up here North Hills?
Speaker 1: All right, awesome? What's on your Lineah?
Speaker 5: A few things. I mean, you've been talking to the a couple folks about the the routers and modems. I guess those are combined units. I assume yes, they received the signal from the ISP and then do the do the sharing throughout the house without having two devices, right?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean you still need the you still need kind of the modem, the cable modem that comes in your house, so I mean you connect to that and then yes, the router wireless can it handles everything else from there?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 5: And I'm actually myself a Google pixel user.
Speaker 1: I mean, they know when I'm on the phone, how good are the pictures?
Speaker 3: Off?
Speaker 5: The pixel pictures are fantastic. I come from using Samsung S three and then S five, and then I didn't upgrade because I know S five was so good at what it did, and then it just became time. The S five was just you know, taking a dump and decided, okay, well let's go see what's out there. And everybody was going to USB three, so I had to make the switch anyways, and or USBC, I mean the new charging thing. So we went ahead and went with the Pixel. My wife and I both have the same phone, and it took you know, took me about ten minutes. And then you know, learn that there's a couple of little different things, but it's still an Android interface, so I'm used to that, having never had an iPhone. And yeah, but I'm trying to think about switching to either an integrated modem router setup or because I don't want to pay the ISP to lease or rent whatever it is the modem and I have dead spots like you're talking about. I have an extender in my living room because the router's back in the office and my house is not that big. But I'm trying to think, what's what's my next step to upgrade my service? So I can, you know, stream and watch videos and do hangouts from my garage which is just on the other side of the kitchen wall.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, these systems that we're talking about are definitely going to help you do that. But now, who do you have for your internet provider?
Speaker 5: Just Spectrum?
Speaker 1: Okay? Now, they don't charge a rental fee anymore for their modems.
Speaker 5: They don't. I haven't looked at my bill lately because they don't send me one. It's just digital.
Speaker 1: Yeah, as far as I know, and you may want to check. Maybe you're on an old plan. I don't know how long you've had it, but I've got Spectrum. I switched last year from you Verse Verse. I did pay a rental fee. This one. I do not pay a rental fee, and as far as I know, they've kind of mixed that into the price. So that's the number one.
Speaker 5: Well, yeah, and my price went up too, so I don't know what they what they're getting me for now.
Speaker 1: Well, see what they're getting. I mean, I pay forty five dollars a month. I signed up on a promotion which is probably ending any day now because I signed up about a year ago, so I think they want it to go up to sixty five a month, which I'll call them back and I'll just kind of ask, you know, hey, can I get this promotion again? Because where I live, right, you have a couple of providers that I can choose from, so I can always switch to a different one if the price is better, you know, right.
Speaker 5: And I kind of had that too, where my price was about fifty bucks and I was getting fifty megabits or whatever it is, and that was cool, and then they tried to jump it up like double the price. So I called and they said, okay, well we can do one hundred for sixty or sixty five. And then I ran that for a year and now I'm up to ninety bucks and I don't I don't know if I'm still getting one hundred or if I'm also getting charged for the for the Router modem unit or I don't know what's going on, but I got to take a look at it, and, like you said, just call them and say, hey, you know what happened to my promotional price? What you got going today? Yes, exactly because usually they do, right.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, and you know, and I did read an article that said Spectrum was going to try to do away with a lot of the promotions, like they're trying to get a you know, because everyone knows as long as I've had cable internet for you know, many many years now, every year you call up and you get a new deal. And I think Spectrum they had a stat that like people were on like eighty thousand different plans or something insane across the US. Oh geez. So they did do a good job of kind of streamlining the plans. So I do know that, like if you call Spectrum, they have like one hundred or three hundred available, that's basically it. But then the prices, they're trying to make them so that they're pretty streamlined. So just call them up and see what they say. That's that's what i'd say. But yeah, when it comes to your cable modem, you probably don't pay for that. But I would definitely look into the Euros of the world or the Orbi's of the world and see which one works for you. And also just go on Amazon, read some of the reviews, read some of the pros, and cons and see what people like. But you're going to see a world of difference with the Internet that you have. Like I say to people, you're actually getting the Internet that you pay for when you get one of these services. So Steve, yeah, oh I lose you. So Steve, I think that that's really where you're at. I think I've lost you. But you got the gist there. John Gris says, is Google Fiber worth it? Absolutely? If you can get Google Fiber where you are, go for Google Fiber. As far as I know, it's about seventy dollars seventy five dollars to get that, but you get a gig down which is ten times faster than what I have at home, which is one hundred. Anastasia says, I pay over two hundred for Cox TV and Internet. That sounds pretty typical for you know, if you're if you're bundling products and services. The problem is that like I found out with my mom when I unbundled her Internet when I cut the cord for her a couple of weeks ago, you know, they wanted to charge me an astronomical rate for the Internet alone, and I said, oh, come on, I'm not doing that. That's insane. So you know, you got to really really convince these people to give you the good price because they're just gonna want to charge you a lot. All right, Uh eight on eight you're on with Rich for Oh Hi, Hey, who am I speaking with?
Speaker 3: Brian?
Speaker 6: Understand?
Speaker 1: Hey Brian, where are you calling from?
Speaker 6: I'm calling from Terminoaks, California?
Speaker 1: All right, what's on your mind?
Speaker 6: I just wanted to see what his opinion is on some of the tech hardware or apps out there that are good for stuff on TVs, for social media, for like nonprofits, promoting school events, stuff like that.
Speaker 5: Oh.
Speaker 1: Interesting, Well you're talking to me, so you're not. You're it sounded like you were asking the call screener. There there is none, it's just this is Rich.
Speaker 6: Oh not cool? Hi Rich?
Speaker 1: So Brian, you're okay. So you're saying you want to know what social apps are best for, like promoting school.
Speaker 6: Things, apps or even stuff like I used to use and I name a brand, a company or a product things.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is so.
Speaker 6: I've used the mebo camera before, okay, and I ran into more problems than I did discover like positive uses for it.
Speaker 3: So I'm not quite sure.
Speaker 6: Things like that things that I can use at live events to promote things that happen on school campuses, et cetera.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, two things. So first off, the program that I'm using is is called ECAM Live. And I don't know if you see what I've got going on here, but this is a one man show here, and I've got graphics on screen. I have the ability to bring in video if I want, so if I press this, let's see what happens here? Come on, resume last or here we go. So you see that. If you're watching on the Facebook live stream, you can see that I just brought in a video. And you guys that are listening to obviously hear that as well. Let me stop that point get back to where I am here. So anyway, so that's one of the features I can bring in my computer screen here. So if I want to show you guys something on the web, I can do that. And there's other things like I can bring in comments from people live, which is really cool too. So that's one thing that's called ECAM Live. I believe it's forty dollars. They gave me a copy of the program I asked them for. I said, hey, I'd love to use this for my podcast. Can you give me a product of you a copy to try? And they said sure, So that's number one. Number two, I'd really recommend that you use the Facebook Creator app on iPhone because here's the thing. I've tried Mevo and Mivo's was cool. But Mivo is good for like if you're doing a concert or if you're just you kind of like a camera that's all in one to broadcast something. But I'm using a webcam along with this ECAM program. But the Mevo, I agree, it was a little complicated for my use and hooking things up to it, like external mics and stuff is a little bit. It's just a little bit tricky for me. It was a little bit more than I wanted. But I would really recommend the Facebook Creator app. And I'll tell you why. So right now, when you go live through the Facebook Creator app, because they're trying to promote it. I've noticed that when I go live through there, I get more viewers. So that's one thing to think about if you want to get the maximum exposure. The other thing is that you can create graphics inside that program. A lot of people don't know that, but you can go into your Facebook page and create some graphics that will show on screen when you go live from that. So if you want to put your school logo or something like that on there, you can have that built right into your phone, which is really cool. You don't have to do anything extra and with the iPhone, and with the iPhone you can use external mics and stuff like that pretty pretty easily.
Speaker 6: And that's all accessed through Facebook or do I need to do one of the apps notes.
Speaker 1: To get into that, you've got to download a special app called Facebook Creator. So it's a brand new app. They just came out that it's only for iPhone right now, but it will come out on Android hopefully soon. I mean it's Android always seems to lag the iPhone apps, but that's a that's a good one as well, so great. Yeah, I would recommend those two things. If you're looking at Facebook Live, there's a lot of other things out there that kind of let you. I mean, if you want, you can go YouTube live. The problem is everyone's on Facebook, so that's really the best way to go live out of all these services. There was one that my friend Jefferson Graham from USA Today used and I got to remember what it was smile Facebook Live. Let me see what it was called. I don't know if I can find it. Yeah, there was like a live streaming app, but I can't remember what it was called anyway, So there's another. There's a couple of that I've seen him try, and you know, none of them are as good as the I think the original app has just gotten so good that it kind of like does everything you need without having external apps. But this ECAM Live, I really recommend you just run it off a MacBook and you're good to go and you can do a lot of great stuff with it, so perfect hopefully. Thank you answer your question all right, Brian, thanks so much for calling in. I appreciate it. Full line open three one zero five nine four three zero zero three and uh, let's see g And Carlos says, Hey, Rich, what app do I use to pick someone in an Instagram giveaway on my company's Instagram account? Thanks, that's a good question. I know how to do it with my Facebook, but I'm not sure. Oh yeah, it does it with Instagram, So the site that I use, and you'll notice later on when I do my giveaway. If you're watching on the live show I use a site called wu box woo Box wu Box, and that will help you choose a winner on Instagram. I have not done that personally, but I see it as an option in my behind the scenes kind of in my tool deck whatever you want to call it. Here, I see that, So that's another way to do it. And Steven says the TV behind me has turned off. I know, and I can turn it back on, but it's not really going to do anything, because yeah, it's just it's I had the graphic. I got to figure out how to get my graphic to stay up on there for some reason. Let's talk about pixel versus iPhone. So this is a great article. This was written on the Verge, and basically the author is saying how he is gripped by a constant fear of choosing the iPhone ten versus the Google Pixel two xcel. And I really identify with this because I feel the same way. I absolutely love my Pixel to xcel, but I also love the iPhone ten. And I'm telling you it's really a problem because when you're a tech reviewer, you get access to a lot of different things, so you get exposed to them, and it's just he wrote all about it, like the pros and cons of each one, basically saying how beautiful the iPhone is, which it is, and the notch is a non issue, but the pixels, camera, and battery life are just unbelievable, which I agree. Battery I never think of on the pixel, and the camera is just phenomenal. But when I think about the two devices, it really comes down to this. Here's what I've decided. And number two, I love the Apple Watch as well, and that's a nice companion to iPhone. But here's what I've realized. The iPhone is better as a creator's device and as a casual user's device. So it does everything you need, but it's very casual. It's super simple, everything works. You don't even need to download apps if you don't want to, because it's got so many great things built in, editing and all that stuff. But when it comes to the pixel, it really comes down to the camera. And it's a great personal assistant because Google Assistant is so amazing at voice commands, and also the information that surfaces using Google Feed is really amazing. I agree, I'm right with you there. The Verge I have the same anxiety, but I love it He calls it the tragic anxiety of having to choose, and I agree. We live in an amazing time right now, because we are in a time where smartphones have gotten so good that you're choosing between two amazing devices. And if you don't even want to spend that much on a pixel Orn iPhone ten, I can give you five other devices that are just as good, like the one plus five T. That device is not even that expensive when you look at it compared to Let's see, let's see how much that is when you look at it compared to some of these big devices. This device is a lot cheaper. And let's see how much that is. Five hundred and fifty nine bucks, So five hundred dollars if you want for six gigs a RAM and sixty four storage. Five point fifty nine for one hundred and twenty eight gigs of RAM and eight gigs of storage, and that phone is amazing. So that is a fantastic device as well. Jim says, I love the delayed double TI from Rich. Uh oh, what does that mean? Am I? Are you hearing me? Double? That's not good? What are the qualities Jamie says for a good laptop, just for at home use. If you're getting a laptop just for home, don't get a laptop, get a desktop, Get an all in one. Go to Costco. Usually they have one for about five hundred bucks. That is phenomenal. It's totally specked out. You do not need a laptop if your computer is gonna sit on a desk at home all the time. Guess what. Laptops are super expensive for what you get. Yes, you can buy one for three four hundred bucks two hundred and fifty dollars. But the reality is you don't want to use that as your everyday computer unless you have a use case for a laptop. A laptop is meant to go out in the world. So if you're just getting a computer for your desk to sit right here, don't get yourself a laptop. You're spending way too much money and not getting enough device for that money. So, yeah, Debbie says, I like to take my laptop with me. I take my laptop everywhere. And if you've listened to this show, you know that my kid recently threw a toy at my laptop and cracked the screen. It costs me five hundred dollars to get it repair. But I will say Apple did the repair very fast. Sam from Pomona. You're on with Rich what's up? Sam? Hey?
Speaker 3: How's it going good?
Speaker 1: How are you doing? How are those Porsche is treating you? Hey?
Speaker 3: No complaints? Always a good time. Earlier, you guys were talking about, you know, like the spectrum is changing, they're not charging for the modems and things like that. I've been with them for a long time, and when my program ran out, basically you know when Charter Bottom, you guys on KTLA mentioned that they wouldn't be you know, like giving you the deals that Time Warner Cable used to, and they didn't, and I cut the cable and so I was down to home phone and the internet, and they had me paying sixty five for internet and twenty bucks for phone. And I recently called them to disconnect the phone because I now have a cell phone that I don't need the home phone. And now they're making deals, but you got to ask for the retention department to get them.
Speaker 1: So you're saying ask, Okay, you know that's a good point, Sam, because that's funny. You say that because when I called to cancel my mom's cable just because she had the She had internet, cable TV, and phone line.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: She hasn't used the phone line in ten years since I got our cell phone. The cable TV, she had literally twelve channels plus Showtime, which they gave her showtime for free. I was like, Mom, how many movies are you watching on Showtime? Not many, but she had channels two through twelve. She lives out in New Jersey, so it was a little different than here, but she had basic cable. And then when I called to cancel, you're absolutely right, they said, this is the price. It was like eighty five dollars for just the internet, when she was paying eighty for all three of these things, right, And so I said, all right, well, transferming to the person that cancels it. And she said, okay, transferming to the person that cancels. That first question was, hey, we can do everything for forty five bucks a month. I'm like, why didn't you say that before? So you're right, you do have to ask for the retention department. Sam. That is a great point because the customer service reps really don't have the power. And I'm not saying that as a knock on them. They're physically not empowered to do the things the retention department does because that's their job and that's how they keep people there. So they are empowered with better deals and better codes to get people to stay.
Speaker 3: Right, Well, I think they're finally feeling the pressure of all the competition.
Speaker 1: Well I know, but you say that, but really, what is the competition out there? I mean it's tough because with cable TV, I get it, you got the streaming services breathing down their back. But when it comes to Internet, most people only have one, maybe two different service providers, and one of them is usually pretty bad because it's DSL or it's just not as fast. And so of course the internet companies that are the cable companies that are providing Internet always have the advantage because they have the fastest speeds, so they kind of know, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: I was gonna move over to Frontier because they have the old horizon of FiOS. And what happened was is they scheduled, you know, to make the switch. But unlike I guess, you know, like Spectrum now, somebody has to leave their system to make room for you to get on. So you know, they had me all scheduled. Everything was supposed to happen. But then I called up and I said, Hey, what's going on. They go, oh, we don't have any room.
Speaker 1: Really, yeah, that's interesting.
Speaker 3: I couldn't believe it's.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it could be a capacity thing, because here's the deal. They they spent many years building out those systems, like you're talking about FiOS. But the problem is they only built them out so far. And you're probably right, they literally because each one of those is connected to a home. So if they have the if they don't have the capacity in the neighborhood. Like let's say there's thirty nodes and thirty people are signed up, you're right, they don't have the capacity. That's interesting. I didn't realize that they actually turned people away, but that's fascinating.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I was pretty upset, you know, And so I'm stuck with the you know, a spectrum because there's really nobody else in my neighborhood.
Speaker 1: And how much you're paying now when all the dust has come.
Speaker 3: Well, like I say, I called up and I'm getting the one hundred speed internet and I'm getting the home phone for sixty five bucks, which is okay, Yeah, that's pretty good.
Speaker 1: I mean, like I said, I'm paying forty five on my just for one hundred, but I don't have a phone line and amount of promotion, and they want to jump it up to sixty five. So you're basically getting the phone line free, depending on how you look at it. But for everyone that's listening, you know, if you're paying, if you haven't called your cable company in the past year, you gotta call him up and just say, hey, look, I'm ready to jump ship here, what can you do for me? And ask for that retention department.
Speaker 3: I went to a friend's house who also has what I had, and I looked at him and go, let's get him on the phone. And I did the same thing for him.
Speaker 1: And now, yeah, that's your good friend, Sam, you are a good friend. All right. Listen, I've got a couple questions to answer here on the on the live chat, but thanks so much for calling in. I appreciate it as you as always good talking dude. All right, Sam, take care and keep those porsches. Sam collects cars, so he sent me a couple of pictures of them, and he keeps me pretty shiny, all right. Kathy says, is it possible to edit a video I've taken on my iPad or iPhone and if so, how do I do it? Absolutely, that is, Kathy, one of the best features of the iPhone and iPad. You do not need a computer. In fact, a lot of the stuff that you see me post to Facebook, I am editing right on my smartphone or not so much my iPad, but you can do it there, but right on my iPhone. And sometimes I'm i Android. Android, Wait, just doesn't you can do it. It's just not as good as iPhone when it comes to editing stuff. And I'm not trying to knock Android. I love Android, but it's just not there. And I'll tell you why. There's a thousand different Android models out there that these developers have to make their app work with, and that's really tough to do, so it ends up not being that good. But Apple, there's literally like one set of standards and it works on all these devices and so they don't have to think about tweaking their app for all these different scenarios. And that's why apps usually function better on iOS. Now, I know there's gonna be some of you Android nerds out there that will debate me on that. Yes, I think that sometimes Android apps work better in a let's see, how can I say this in a performance way where you can share things easier and it can integrate with the operating system better when it comes to pure functionality. A lot of times, that's why you see the updates on iOS first. But a couple options for you, I'll tell you what I like. Yeah, And we have some people chiming in on the live saying that you can use iMovie. That's one way. I find iMovie to be very complicated, especially on the smartphone, so I don't use that one. I actually use an app called video Shop, which is really good. But my favorite app for editing is Adobe Clip. So you can download that for free and you will be amazed what you can do on Adobe Clip. I'm trying to find my iPhone here it is to look at my apps I use. But Adobe Clip is amazing and that's the one that I use almost all the time. But Video Shop is really good, and I think that one's like one or two dollars, And I'm trying to see what else I have on here that I use. But that's it, I mean, that's really what you need are those two apps. You will get through a lot of stuff. But yeah, fantastic question, Kathy, that is a good one. Let's see here, we've got a lot of Manny says, what pair of headphones are the best that you've had or think are the best when getting a new phone. Oh man, you know what, I'll be honest, I'm just not a headphones guy, so I will just use the Apple ones or the ones that come in the package. I love. These are from a Samsung device. I love these, and I love the Apple the Apple earbuds, those to me are the best. Now, if you want Bluetooth, I'll tell you which ones I like. Their JLab Epic two. I'm typing this in and I'm gonna show you guys here. But these j lab Epic twos are fantastic. And let's see if they even know they have new ones. I guess, but these are these are my favorite. They're just so I tested so many of them and these were really really good. So if you go to j lab Epic two is there are a hundred bucks. You can get them for cheaper online, I think. But those are the ones that I love. They the battery last forever, they stayin in your ears. They're Bluetooth wireless, So check those out on Amazon. Let's see how much they're going for on Amazon. Let's see Epic Amazon. Let's see how much they are Epic two on Amazon are Oh, they're not available anymore. Oh no, that means that they've changed them up, so there must be a new version. Let's see what it says. It doesn't say anything about a new version. Interesting, so I don't know. Maybe they've done away with those, so I don't know. You're gonna have to find something else. But when it comes to wireless for expensive, definitely, the AirPods are my favorite. Don't go with the pixel buds from Google. I don't really like them as much. All right, let's see. Oh my gosh, you guys have a lot of questions here. Let's see. Yolini says, Yeah, Lanni says, just check my spectrum bill. They're charging me for the modem lease. I will be calling the retention department later. Yeah. I think you're on an old plan, so definitely call them up. Noel says, is the Ring Home security a good investment? Yes? I love the Ring. Definitely put it by your front door, and if you can hardwire it, that's the best. But if you can use it on a battery. That's fine as well. It will work just as well. And gen Carlo says Adobe Premier Clip is also availab on Android. Yes it is. I do use it on Android as well. John says, thanks for the recommendation, and Anthony says, is it okay for me to use my old Samsung wireless charging for my iPhone X? Yes? The wireless chargers are gonna work pretty much with all the different devices at this point. It may not be the optimized charge for your device, but it's not gonna ruin your device, so yes, you can use it. As long as it charges up, it will be okay. Nora says, I love your helpful information. Is iPhone SE two worth the wait? Or should I get the first version? I probably wait for the new one. The first one has been around, although let me think about that. They just came out with the new version recently at the event where they launched the iPhone. I think they refreshed the specs on it. So whenever that's happening, I always go to mac rumors. There's a thing called Buyer's Guide dot MacRumors dot com and s iPhone SE. It's been three hundred and thirty eight days since they last released one. Yes, that's almost a year. In Apple cycles, that's when they usually like to release a new one. But yeah, that's that's it. So Robert says, what's your take on magnetic charging cables? You know, I don't know. I mean, if they it's great if you if it works and you have it, but I don't. I don't seek them out. They did away with it on my MacBook, which was really annoying because I loved my my mag safe all right, phone lines open three one zero five to nine four three zero zero three three one zero five nine four three zero zero three. According to Recode, Amazon is opening up to six more of their Amazon Go cashier list stores in the next year or so. I don't know, but one of them apparently is gonna be in Los Angeles and so they don't really have many details. This is all rumors, but they are saying that this is going to be at the Grove, which if you live in LA you know where the Grove is. It's kind of in the middle of town. Well would you call that downtown? I don't know. It's in the middle of Hollywood. It's it's south of Hollywood. I guess you can say, but it's kind of this grand outdoor shopping area. But the weird thing is, I don't really understand why they put an Amazon Go there, that this is basically a grocery store, and I don't really see that being a grocery store now. What I do see is them Okay, so the grocery by the way, if you're not familiar, how this works, the Amazon Go store. You go inside, you scan a QR code at the entrance with your Amazon app, and it links you up into the store, and then whenever you pull off the shelf, it somehow registers that and then you walk out of the store and it charges your Amazon account. Pretty brilliant, right, people are They already have this in Seattle. This is not a far fetched idea. It's literally happening in Seattle as we speak. But they want to open a bunch more of these. These are convenience stores, grocery stores, whatever you want to call them. But I just don't understand and why they would put this at the Grove. They don't really have a grocery store there. You don't really go grocery shopping at the Grove, So I don't really see this working now, I do see an Amazon bookstore, and I can understand maybe they're going to open up in Amazon Books that has this go technology, but I'm not sure because they already have a Barnes and Noble at the Grove unless it's closed. Last I checked. I mean, let's see if it's still there the Grove. So it seems like the Grove Barnes and Noble is still open, so that's good news. I noticed a couple weeks ago they closed the Barnes and Noble that was at the Third Street Promenade in Santa Monica. That was a big one, So I don't know, kind of a weird location. I definitely would not go grocery shopping at the Grove if you've ever been in that area. The traffic around there is absolutely horrendous. Ever since the Grove opened, it's really done phenomenal for that area of Los Angeles. I guess you'd called Central La, but it is. It is somewhere you don't want to be hanging out, and if you bunch of groceries to lug, you do not want to be there. Three one zero five nine four three zero zero three. If you have a question, I'll take probably one more before I go, So get your phone call in. Now we're talking about headphones, and it looks like apparently Apple is going to upgrade the AirPods. And air pods are absolutely one of my favorite gadget inventions ever because they are the first wireless headphones that just sort of work every single time. I've had these things for about a year and I don't even think I've ever charged them, like maybe twice, because the battery just lasts forever. And here's the deal. So the rumor is, according to Bloomberg, this is Mark German. He has all the inside scoob on everything Apple. I mean, he's got some kind of good contacts there that tell him everything. So that Bloomberg actually hired this guy. He used to work at a blog and they hired him because he knows so much at Apple. So he's got some good friends there. He says that they're going to upgrade the AirPods this year with an upgraded wireless chip. So the upgraded wireless chip would give you one key feature, and that is Hey Siri, So that would allow you to basically like, for me, while I'm running, I've got to tap the side of the headphones to you know, say, can you increase the volume by ten percent or skip to the next song. This would just let you say, hey, Siri, increase the volume by ten percent, and it would, which is really cool. It's very useful. That's what the pixel No, the pixel buds don't do that. You gotta tap them, you know what. I gotta check on that actually. Anyway, Now, a new version later on, not this year, is gonna be waterproof or water resistant, I should say survive splashes of water and rain. They will not be submerged in water. So if you've been following what Apple has been doing, the iPhone is water resistant, which means it can get splashed, it can be out in the rain, will be just fine. But the Apple Watch is water proof, which means you can take it in the pool and it will handle it like a champ and you're gonna be okay, which is pretty pretty phenomenal because basically you are pushing your hands into the water, which forces water into the device. Which all these devices when they say they're water resistant, they say that for a reason because there's still open ports on them. And if you push this thing into water like that, that means that you're forcing water into the device, and it's gonna get in there, whether it's water resistant or not. Now with the Apple Watch, they made it water proof, which means they did a lot of testing to make sure that they can still have some open ports on it, notably the speaker grill, and still have it basically locked up tight with the water. All right, Kathy says, I'm looking for Adobe Chip on my iPhone and I can't find it. That's because it's Adobe clip. Adobe Chip sounds very tasty, but that is not an app that you can edit video on. It is Adobe Clip, so if you type in Adobe clip, you can get it. And Cindy says, do you know when the new EarPods are coming out? The article does not say it, just says this year. But if you think about it, let's go back to that website. I don't know if it. I'm not sure. Let's see if that website has the AirPods. Let's see if they have accessories, they have HomePod. I don't see the accessories. Let's see. Let's see watch other Now they don't have the AirPods on there. But it's been a while. They've been out, I think for about almost a year and a half now two years, so they're definitely due for an upgrade. Let's see, and Al says, is the iPhone ten getting discontinued? Are they coming out with a new version? How many new iPhones is Apple going to release at their next event? You know, here's the thing. When they say discontinued, what does that really mean? I mean, they're not going to discontinue it. The iPhone ten is the iPhone ten, So will it be replaced with a new model eventually? Yes? Are they making less of them? Apparently if you believe everything you read. But the reality is the design of the iPhone I don't think is going to change with the next iPhone. It's going to be very similar to what we have with the iPhone ten. They might do away with a notch, but I think that that's gonna be the design of the iPhone. Yes, the ten might be. I don't really understand what we discontinued means, because they've discontinued things like when they came out with the Apple Watch three, they discontinued Apple Watch two. That just means they stopped making it and now they have the three, But they did keep making the one. And Apple's known to do that all the time kind of forces you to choose between something that's kind of less or lesser or the best. They kind of don't have stuff in the middle. It's kind of weird now they have the most phones ever to choose from, though there's so many to choose from. All right, I think that's gonna do it for the show. So yes, MJ says I can't find Adobe Clip, but there's Premiere Clip. Yes, that's the name of the app. When you download it, it just says clip, but yes, Adobe Premiere Clip is the full name of the app. Sorry for not being more clear on that, but that will definitely do it. So all right, Angie says I'm dying. Oh no, what are you dying about? What I say? Wrong? Maybe I messed up on something, but there you go. That's what it is. Oh you're dying because I said chip not clip. I don't know. And finally, Anthony says, what do you think about the DJI mave Air. It looks pretty cool. I have not played with it, but I played with the Mavick and it was very nice. DGI is really killing it when it comes to kind of like their products and their drones and their camera gear. They're doing a good job, given GoPro a run for their money. In fact, you know, GoPro closed down their drone division, so the DGI definitely took over in that. And I love the DJI. I've got it over here on my shelf here. But my company gave me their mount, which is a gyro mount for the iPhone so you can get your iPhone really steady. It's called the DGI Osmo, and they just came out the Osmo two, and that one's supposed to be even better because you can now have your phone up and down instead of just this way. But anyway, all right, Jim says, what kind of antivirus do you have on your computer? I use a VAST and I love it. I recommend a VAST. I have a Mac. I'm I don't really have any antivirus on there, so I know I'm kind of crazy like that. I used to have a VAST on there when I did. In fact, I just need to. I did have to format my computer recently, so I'll probably put that back on. But AVG and a VAST, there's one I liked better. I can't remember which one it is, but they're both the same company anyway, So but one I like slightly better. Yenni says, how can I keep Windows PC safe if I don't buy antivirus? The good news is antivirus is built into the new version of Windows. So if you have Windows ten, just make sure that Windows Defender is up to date, and I'll show you this Windows Defender that is that's built in. It's built into Windows ten, so you don't need anything else. You actually don't need to spend any money on antivirus. As long as you have this turned on and up to date, you're good. Your device is protected. So a lot of people don't realize that when it comes to Windows ten, but antivirus and malware is malware. Defender is built right into the computer, So just make sure that you have that kind of up to date. Go ahead and search for Windows Defender on your search bar and you can find it and check out the settings on there. All right, Yes, Max are susceptible to viruses, but they don't have as many. And I'm kind of I know kind of what I'm doing online when I'm when I'm downloading stuff and all that, so I kind of know where I would get a virus. I use all my emails all web based, so I can't really get a virus there, so you just have to be smart about it. But i'd probably recommend I can't really say I recommend you have antivirus on if you have a Mac, but it's probably good to have if you're a casual user and you know you're surfing the web and downloading stuff once in a while. But on a Windows computer, you've got it. If you've got Windows ten, all right, that's gonna do it for the show. Thanks so much for listening. I do appreciate it. A couple of things I'd like you guys to do. If you tell your friends and family about the Rich on Tech Live show, that'd be awesome. Usually I'm here about Thursday's one o'clock. If you catch me on Facebook Live, this is where I am. You've noticed that some of you have figured out the pattern. Otherwise, I love it if you listen to this as a podcast, or just share this right now on face Book. If you press that share button, that's really awesome because it gets it into more people's feeds. They see it and they say, oh my gosh, this is so cool. Let me watch next time. If you're listening on the podcast, just go ahead and screenshot your phone and send that out on your social network so that people know. Screenshot on the iPhone makes a great Instagram story and you can tell people you're listening to rich on Tech. This is how I got smart about tech. And the most important thing you can do, of course, is twofold. You can subscribe to it. All you have to do is search rich on Tech in your favorite podcasting app. Just hit that subscribe button and you will get every episode. So Monday through Friday, now I'm doing a tech update, so just a little tech story or a couple little quick tech stories, usually under five minutes, super fast. You can listen to it on your commute or whenever throughout the day, keep up to date. And then on the weekends, I put out this show so you can listen to a longer form question and answer. And the other most important thing you can do is rate and review the show on iTunes. That is the big primary place where people still find podcasts. So go on to Apple Podcasts or iTunes and rate and review the show. If you just give it a star, that's awesome. About five stars, I should say, But if you write something that really helps because basically, the more people that Apple sees reviewing the show, the more people they show that to in their little trending lists, in the top lists and all that stuff. So that's where I want to be because then all of a sudden, people start discovering you that don't see me on TV, that don't know me, and then the magic really happens. Thanks so much for listening. Hope you enjoyed the show. I'm Richidimiro richon tech dot TV. If you want links to some of the stuff I mentioned. Otherwise, have a fantastic day. I will talk to you next time about it.