Speaker 1: Welcome to another edition of the Dave Pash Podcast. I'm your host ESPN and Arizona Cardinals play by play announcer Dave Pash. My guest this week is Ohio State head football coach Ryan Day. Ryan and the Buckeyes are ranked number two in the country. They play Akron this weekend. With a new quarterback, Will Howard, transferred from Kansas State. We'll talk about him. We'll also talk about the new playoff format, and we'll get detailed on Marvin Harrison junior Harris Johnson junior. Both of them played for coach Day at Ohio State. We'll get specific on the professionalism of Marvin Harrison junior and when Ryan Day knew he was going to be great.
Speaker 2: Quickly when he got here his freshman year, he started to recognize and I think he took that big step in the Rose Bowl as freshman year. You know, that was kind of when we realized we had something special.
Speaker 1: We'll also talk with Coach Day about C. J. Stroud and Chip Kelly. He played for way back when in New Hampshire and also worked with in Theena Fell with the Eagles and Niners. Chip is now Ryan's offensive coordinator in Columbus. We are presented by Healer River Resorts and Casinos. Let's go red seat get closer to the game with Healer River Resorts and Casinos, proud partner of the Arizona Cardinals. Okay, time now for our conversation with Ohio State football coach Ryan Day coach. First of all, great scene, you thanks for the time. Let's jump right in on Marvin because one of the things that I noticed really early, and I had your Cotton Bowl last year, so saw him there and got a chance to chat a little bit. He is a pro. It's like you forget he's twenty two, just turned twenty two a week ago. How quickly did you figure out how professional he is and buttoned up and detail oriented?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: It started when he first got here. He and a Mecca book of both they were in a facility all the time. And they were in the facility, you know, working on you know, the playbook and what to do and watching film. But they would just wear out the jugs and to the point where you know, we got this one machine where you can just wear it on your belt and press the button and the balls just keep coming. So you could be there by yourself and then finally our strength coach mc murraty made a rule that you know, Marvin had to bring somebody with him. He couldn't just do it on his own. But he always from you know, when he first got here, showed up prepared, practiced at a high level, and and played that way. And you know, I think, you know, certainly it's well documented. You know that his dad prepared at a high level, and I think he instilled that in him. But you still have to do it, and you know he really did when he was here. He's the thing I say a lot of times is that, you know, for somebody who's very, very talented, typically they don't always have the discipline or skill that you need.
Speaker 3: He had both.
Speaker 1: When you were recruiting him, was pretty clear that he was going to be a Buck guy immediately or did it did it take a long time, because obviously he had great interest around the country.
Speaker 2: Well when he was he was actually at Lesalles freshman year and I was recruiting Philly at the time, and I think he would tell you I was the first one to start recruiting him. You know, at that time, you know, we didn't know what he could be, but certainly had the pedigree and but but then quickly saw him grow. But for a long receiver, sometimes it takes a little time to grow into your body. And I remember watching him in the IMG game when they played them, and you could see him come into his own and you could see he was growing into his body. But to say even at that time we knew that he would become the player that he is today, you know that would be a stretch. But but quickly when he got here his freshman year, he started to recognize and I think he took that that big step in the Rose Bowl as freshman year, and you know that was kind of when when we realized we had something special.
Speaker 1: Do you feel like his skill set is perfect for this level. You've coached at this level, You've been around it, You've been around great receivers at Ohio State. So it is his skill set setting up for early success here with the Cardinals.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: His route running is very, very precise. He understands how to leverage defenders. He can play on contact. You know, makes contested catches, run after catches is very good, has the length and the catch radius that you need. You know, his quickness and when you look at him. He's tall, but what you notice is his torsos low to the ground, so.
Speaker 3: His ability to change direction.
Speaker 2: Sometimes the taller guys, like their torsos are high, their their legs are longer, so they have a harder time getting it out of cuts. Now with him, you you know, just you see, like the way he's built, it's his torso is a little bit lower, so he gets in and out of breaks faster, can trans should create contact when needed. But yeah, I think he's going to be a next one pro. I think his skill set really does translate.
Speaker 1: Well, it's interesting you mentioned that on the torso. I was sitting or standing on the field before the preseason game against the Colts. I do the games with Ron Wolfley, and he and I are watching and we said the same thing. He almost looks like his dad from like torso down, but then he's three four inches taller. Yeah, that his dad.
Speaker 3: That's right, That's exactly. That's probably the best way to put it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you know, it's it's funny though, but that's you know, proportionally, that's how he's built.
Speaker 3: And I do think that matters.
Speaker 2: I do I think that you know, the quickness has as you know, a big part of that.
Speaker 1: I want to ask you about another Cardinal who play for you, Paris Johnson junior. He played multiple positions in Columbus. He was the Cardinals right tackle last year. He's switching to left tackle this year. How do you think the experience there with you moving around on the offensive line will help him make this transition here in twenty twenty four.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, he started when he was here at tackle, but then we moved him to guard and he played, you know, his his sophomore year mostly at guard, and then we were able to transition to tackle his third year, which, by the way, you know, it'd be nice to have some of these guys for our fourth year, you know, just for their record. But but you know, you saw him play his best football, you know, really the second half of his third year, and he started to get comfortable at left tackle. But he was at right guard there again for a good portion of his career at Ohio State as he was transitioning out because you know, we had some some elder tackles here at the time, but he wanted to get on the field and that and that's a tribute to him. It's a tribute to you know his mom and the way that she raised him that you know, really have a growth mindset because that is going to pay And you don't know why, because you know, you're one of the top recruited guys in the country, and you know a lot of guys would say, well, no, I'm only playing tackle, I'm only at tackle.
Speaker 3: I'm not going to put that on film, not gonna to do these types of that. He didn't care. He just wanted to compete. He wanted to be a buck guy, wanted to.
Speaker 2: Win games, and those those experiences I believe really helped him. And you know, playing on the right side of the line there for a whole year, you know he had to have helped him last year playing playing at right tackle. But the versatility and you know, understanding, you know, how to leverage guys inside is different and when you're playing outside now it's the length in the space. So he can do both and I think that experience helped him.
Speaker 1: What were your interactions with him, Like, he's such an interesting guy. He's incredibly smart and has a lot of off the field interests, whether it's running for the school newspaper there, all the different languages that he studied, but he's still nasty on the field, Like he still loves football. So what were some of your conversations like over the years with him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I remember the first time, you know, watching his film, he was always nasty, like you said, but then watching him play.
Speaker 3: He played at.
Speaker 2: Played at Princeton his senior year and Planet Sean X leading up to that, and he just always had that like you said that, you know, off the field, you know, he was a gentle giant, but on the field he was nasty. And I went to see him play live at one point and he was just getting after guys, you know, just finishing play. He's playing physical, So you knew that. And then when he got here, you know, he was like, that's going to be a part of my identity. That's gonna be who I am, and that's what I want to put on film. And so you know, that was you know, something that you know, he wanted to make sure that you brought to to the NFL when he left here, and.
Speaker 3: He's gonna play very, very physical.
Speaker 2: He's going to finish, he's gonna play all the way to the whistle, and so you know, but that that's his makeup and like you said, he's he's a well rounded person, and I think that, you know, I said this when he got to Arizona, that you know, he was gonna have a major impact on the culture there, and you know, I believe he will.
Speaker 1: He has already. It's it's remarkable in fact, Uh, you know, he and Marvin very similarly, even though marginal quieter, they both had an impact just with the way they carry themselves in their professionalism. Another guy that's had a big impact here as the head coach, Jonathan Gannon'm not sure if you guys have ever crossed paths, but he's in year two and I just had him on the pod and we were talking about, you know, some of the challenges that you face in year one and how you grow from year one to year two. Can you think back to, you know, when you take over full time at Ohio State year one to year two. What what did you learn and how do you think that could you know some advice maybe for JG in terms of handling the challenges of going from year one to year two and the growth that you go through.
Speaker 2: Yeah, now, you know I wouldn't give the advice. I wouldn't go on record doing that. But my experience would be that, man, you do you learn every single year, I mean, and you learn a lot. The number one thing for me is making sure you have the right people in the right seats. And that's a lot easier said than done. Making sure that you know you have the right players there that are going to embrace your culture, and then having the right coaches in line for the alignment and to teach your players exactly what what you know your messaging is, and then doing a really good job of making sure you're clear about what the mission is, what the expectation is, what the standard is on a daily basis, and holding guys accountable, you know. And that's the first few years, like those are the things that I really learned a lot. And then you know, as you get into your five and six, you start to learn more and more about, you know, how the season goes. You kind of you know, try to document what you've you've learned from the years previously and try to go back and fix those and make them better. But ultimately the job of a leader is to look around along the horizon and figure out what's coming next. You know, what's what's coming down the road here in September. What's coming down the road here as we head into the playoffs? What's you know those types of things and the more experience you have, the more you remember those as opposed to learn them, just like anything else, just like players are doing in their first couple of years.
Speaker 1: JG is a DB's guy, who's the decoordinator you know in Philly, and safeties are his passion. You're a quarterback guy, and I don't think you've gotten enough credit. I know you're not looking for credit, but I don't think you've got enough credit for CJ. Stroud and the success that he's had in terms of being the head coach and the CEO and having to oversee everything but also kind of still be attached to your passion and your strength. Has that been something that took time for you because you've got to oversee it all, but you know there's still an area of what you do that has gotten you to where you are.
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, it's it's probably an hour conversation that exact thing that you're talking about. But ultimately, like this year, you know, I just had to grab on and embrace the fact that when you move up, you got to give up, Like you when you go from you know, quarterback coach, the offensive coordinator, offensive coordinator, a head coach, like you need to do the job that only the head coach can do. You know, if you're doing a job of somebody else, then you're taking away from what your job responsibilities are. Now that being said, in the game of football, you're still gonna have an impact, You're still gonna have say, You're still gonna be around that part of it and hold the guys accountable. But but that that was a challenge as well, and that's still something even to this year now as you know Chip has become the offense coordinator here that you here are the things we've done, here are the things that have gone well, and then you know he's going to integrate some of his things as we go along during the season.
Speaker 3: So I, like you said, I'll still be a part of it. I'll still have my hands.
Speaker 2: And it's just like when you look at some of the great coaches that have been there, whether in college or in the NFL, you know they're not just strictly CEO and not having their hands on the football part of it. I think if that happens, then you lose touch on what's exactly going on on the ground level. So there is that balance there that you know, as time goes on, you get a better feel for.
Speaker 1: You mentioned Chip Kelly, and he and I were texting after he got the job. Uh, and I know it was hard for him to leave the beautiful weather in Los Angeles, but he loves you and you're his guy, and you guys obviously go way back. What's it like having him around? How is it different in you know, because you used to work for him and then you played for him before that. What's it like now where he you know essentially he's working for you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, it's it's it's been great. I think the thing you have is you have trust there, you know, and I think both of us want nothing more than to have a great season this year and you know, be able to look back on, you know, on on a you know, a long time friendship and you know, have a great season this year and put together a great run here at Ohio State, you know, personally, but also for the players here at Ohio State. I think in a short time he's got an opportunity to see there they're special group here. But I you know, for me, it's trust that you know you can go into a room, you can have honest conversation and leave the room knowing that you know there's there's a tight bond there and I think the guys in a room feel that as well. But for me, it's also knowing somebody who has such an unbelievable experience and one of the best offensive minds in the game of football in the last twenty years. So that's a huge opportunity for me to step away and know this is going to be well done.
Speaker 3: We're gonna have a great offense.
Speaker 2: You know it's going to be put together the right way, and then allow me an opportunity to, you know, get in some different areas.
Speaker 1: A couple of cook ones on the buck. Guys, Ryan will get you out of here. I mentioned I had your bowl game last year. Obviously, you guys are in a tough spot and it's unfortunately the reality of college football with your starting quarterback decides to transfer for the bowl game and then the guy that replaces him gets hurt. You guys are in, you know, a position that's almost impossible. Now you have Will Howard, who is very successful at Kansas State. How's he made the transition in terms of what you're looking for and your expectations for him, you know, starting here soon against.
Speaker 2: A great Yeah, he's he's learning a new offense. And I think it was you know, all happening pretty fast in the spring. It slowed down for him in the preseason. He's you know, really got a better grasp of what we're looking to do. He you know, we named him starter last week. We felt like he separated himself. He took command of the the offense, he took command of the team. I feel like at times, the thing about Will is Will can't beat you with his feet.
Speaker 3: He's tough, you know. I think it's throwing.
Speaker 2: His accuracy has really improved this preseason, coming out of the spring, really making some good throws and making good decisions, and so you know, he can come at you a bunch of different ways. He's also you know, played a lot of football and has experience and and any time again that you're remembering as opposed to learning, and that that bodes well. And you know, I think the more he can take the meetings to the field, take some of these new concepts that we're going to continue to throw at him, and put it in the field at a high level. You know, he can be as good as he wants. So he's got the weapons around him. He's got to take care of football, make through a team plays routinely and when it comes to third down, red zone in two minute, and that's what he's going to beat his best.
Speaker 1: How do you feel over all you guys have kind of handled this new world of portal ni l as interesting. I saw Mike Gundy say something about the other day at a Oklahoma State the head coach there that hey, players, tell your agents stop calling me. Call me in December after the season's over. The money has been sent out. If your contracts aren't signed, that's it, We're done. How have you guys kind of managed this this crazy world we're in.
Speaker 3: Well, the proof will be in the pudding.
Speaker 2: I think that you know, how do you gauge that you gauge how you know the type of season you have and then what type of culture you have. And I feel strong about the guys we have on this team. You know that you know we did add seven guys in the portal. You know, there's a combination of filling holes and then the fact that you know when coach save and retired. You know, there was an opportunity in some guys that were available, and so you know, we took it. You know, it took that as a as an opportunity to add bolster our roster. So but but it wasn't like, you know, we added ten to twenty guys. Because at Ohio State, you know, you come in to get developed, and so we want to recruit young men and develop them here and keep them in the program and and keep that culture very very strong. So I think it's those two things. And to say it's day to day, it's not true week to week now month to month getting closer, but I mean it's kind of that way right now. It's it's definitely a year to year, that's for sure, and so we have to you know, continually adapt with what's going on. But we feel like we have adapted well. I think that we've you know, put the right staff together, the right team together. But again, the proof will be in the putting as we get going this fall.
Speaker 1: Finally, Ryan, I know you're not going to coach any different obviously with this new playoff format, but in terms of you know, do you think coaches will have a different outlook in general, just because obviously the Gold Ohio State is always a winter national championship, but with this new playoff format, you could be the eleven seed and win the national championship. So, like, do you think coaches in general, depending on how things go, of course, over the course of the year, will kind of look at the big picture differently going forward.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they may.
Speaker 2: They may, you know, based on how everything's shaking out. But when you look at look at our conference, you know you have eighteen teams in there now, and so you know you can't afford, you know, a bad day. You know, you've got to do everything you can to get into that that Big Ten Championship game. And the first goal was to get that buy. So it's not like, you know, you're going to sit around and say, well, we're going to afford to lose it or have a bad week or anything like that, and it's just not going to be the way it is.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: The one thing that is significant, like when you look at our schedule is you know you'll play the rivalry game the last week, you know, and no November, and then you have the Big Ten Championship game and then you have the playoffs. So I mean you're going to have you know, five to six, you know, strong opponents in big games back to back to back. You know, if you make the run all the way to the end, and so I think you know, as always, you have to be playing your best football at the end of the season.
Speaker 3: But that's going to be a little bit different. The lead time between each games will be different.
Speaker 2: So all things that you know, we're preparing for, you know, and the justice as time goes on based on how the season shakes.
Speaker 1: Coach, great scene, you thanks so much for the time. Please tell Chip I said, hey, and best of luck Ryan the season man.
Speaker 3: Now you got it, absolutely no problem.
Speaker 1: Love the details from coach day on Marvin Harrison junior and Paris Johnson Junior. There's a culture that is at Ohio State. Those guys were a big part of it. They're now a big part of it with the Cardinals. Plus, I just loved his perspective on what Jonathan Gannon is going through as a young coach moving from year one to year two. Best of luck to the buck Eyes they play Akron this weekend. Ohio State certainly would be a factor, as they always are in the college football Playoff picture. We are presented by Helo River Resorts and Casinos achieve legendary status, so you do you at Helo River Resorts and Casinos. You can follow me on Twitter at Dave Past. You can also follow the team at a Z Cardinals or thanks to Ohio State coach Ryan Day. Thanks to you for listening to another edition of the Dave Patch Podcast