Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio News.
Speaker 2: The Stock Movers Report, your roundup of companies making moves in the stock market. Harnessing the power of Bloomberg Data. Let's take a look at some stocks on the move today. I'm Tom Keen with Paul Sweeney and Bloomberg's Alexis Christopher's what do you have?
Speaker 3: Well, we have to talk about Comcast. It's really the stock story of the day. It is up twenty three percent in the pre market and it's been having a tough time, down seventeen percent year. Data took a look at its one year return, down thirty four percent. So today the company announced plans to separate its media business from its cable TV and internet operations. It's going to spin off NBC Universal and Sky, which is of course based in England, into a new publicly traded company in a bid to increase value. To unlock value, this pure play media company is going to be led by Mike Cavanaugh, who's currently Comcast's co CEO, and the former chief financial officer, Michael Angelocis is going to return to run Comcast. So here's how it's going to break down. NBC Universal going to include universals, film and TV studios. It's growing Theme parks division. I haven't been to that park in a while over on the West coast, but that's a lot of fun. I have to say, the NBC and Telemundow networks, Bravo, Peacock streaming service, and like we said, the European business Sky. The remaining Comcast business is going to consist of the company's broadband, wireless, cable TV operations. Comcast also has been working to you know, prevent people from cutting the cord, which I think all of the cable companies are trying to deal with. This is going to be a tax free spin off expected to happen in about a year's time, and Comcast shareholders will own shares in both Comcast and NBC Universal when the deal is done.
Speaker 1: Discuss yep, So there we go. It's you know, create values. KEITHA. Rounganath and Bloomberg intelligence that NBC Universal today is greatly under as part of Comcasts per her analysis. So you split them apart, you highlight the value, and then number two, maybe you set up an exit strategy for one of these companies to consolidate. Maybe an exit strategy for some of the Roberts founder. That's my thought.
Speaker 2: Well, for example, off our radar, Telemundo mince money, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean some of the networks are still driving cash, but they're just their rate of growth is declining pretty dramatically because of cord cutting. When you say consolidation, what do you mean, Well, if you have a standalone cable company, maybe that you can do something with that. With a Charter for example, which is up twenty five percent per marketry, that's another one of my stocks to watch, an NBC Universal. Maybe they can be part of another media company. We don't have time here, but buried this weekend was an article on CNN and CBS are really in the same family? Now, yep?
Speaker 3: Do we understand a paramount Sky downs? Yeah, that's in the zeitgeist, but not really. It's all getting really messy, really exactly Charter Community. Why don't we jump to Charter Communications since you mentioned it, Paul, because the stock is up twenty four four percent here It had been down thirty six percent a year to date, so a few things going on. I can't believe this is the only reason why the stock is rallying, But it's discussed partnering with SpaceX on a consumer mobile phone offering, where Charter might run some of SpaceX's phone traffic through its ground based internet infrastructure. This is according to sources being reported by Bloomberg. Even so, we've got City lowering the firm's price target on Charter to one ninety from two thirty, keeping a buy rating there. And I just want to also mention SpaceX up nearly two percent. It's going to be added to the Nasdaq one hundred beginning July seventh. And I know people are going, well, wait a minute, Alexis. You told me it's not going to be added to an index for twelve months and until it consistently turns a profit. True only with regards to the s and P five hundred still has to wait on that. Do we have time for one more quick?
Speaker 2: Sure?
Speaker 3: Iridium up twenty one and a half percent. Rocket Lab is going to buy the satellite communications company. It's a cash and stock deal that values shares of Iridium at fifty four dollars a share, giving it an enterprise value of about eight billion dollars. What's it going to do for rocket Lab? Give a control over a satellite fleet and access to wireless resources that it can use to compete with SpaceX.
Speaker 2: The Stockmover's report from Bloomberg Radio. Check back with us throughout the day for the latest roundup of companies making news on Wall Street and for the latest market moving headlines. Listen to Bloomberg Radio Live, catch us on YouTube, Bloomberg dot com, and on Applecarplay and Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business app.