Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys.
Speaker 1: This is nick shot streaming live on dallascowboys dot Com and the official Dallas Cowboys apt now Here are Bill Jones, Savannah Humohler, Everson Wolves, and Mickey Spagnola.
Speaker 3: Go Dallas Cowboy, I'm gonna stamped you.
Speaker 4: Mickey Spagnola conducting the Orchestra's right as we get started on a short week, a very short week of mixed shots, and Mickey is just beaming ear to ear. Why do you think Mickey is in such a good mood today? What do you think what could possibly.
Speaker 5: Be the better? Because the victory Monday.
Speaker 4: Victory Monday for him though Monday, it's yeah, victories at plural. Okay, you had the Cowboys winning a game, you had Jimmy going into the Ring of honor. The most importantly in Mickey's mind, he probably landed in Charlotte just in time to see Missoo beat Florida?
Speaker 6: Was it Florida, Florida? That's right, walk off field goal?
Speaker 7: Well, with the five seconds to.
Speaker 4: Go that counts as a walk off. That's that kicker that won that game. Earlier this year.
Speaker 6: Thicker Kicker, the thicker kickers spelled by the way, th h I C c e R.
Speaker 4: That's his name.
Speaker 6: Thicker thicker is his name.
Speaker 4: No, oh, he just looks thicker he is.
Speaker 7: He may be the heaviest kicker in college football.
Speaker 8: So wait, what's the thicker thicker? He's big, so they didn't spell it, but that's not his name.
Speaker 4: No, no, okay.
Speaker 9: So they kicked a field goal to win the game. There was like, what twelve seconds.
Speaker 6: Left right five after it went through.
Speaker 4: Move your mic up a little bit closer. Five here you glow.
Speaker 7: Five after it went through, by the way.
Speaker 6: And there just happened to be in the hotel lobby where they had the game on the big screen when Florida kicked their field goal to take the lead. All of a sudden, I found out there were some Florida fans there, and they started doing that gator chomp in my face right, and then there were some Ku fans that were celebrating, And all I did was point at the screen and let him know that there was a minute thirty to go, and our kickers are they hit a sixty one yard field goal, so we ain't got to go very far right and so I so I just smiled. I just smiled, didn't say anything, And after they made the field goal, I just smiled and went over there and told him, you didn't know you were dealing with the number nine ranked team in the country.
Speaker 4: My trash is that the highest they've ever been ranked. Back in, Chase Daniel had him ranked number one in the nation. Did one in the nation, that's right, Okay, number.
Speaker 6: Two, and then went to the SEC title game in twenty twelve and thirteen.
Speaker 4: South Lake Carol's Chase Daniel had him number one of the in the nation. By the way they play Highland Park speaking of walk off field goals, as we bring it back to the Jones family, although I don't think there's a member of the family playing for Highland Park now. They had the walk off field goal to beat McKinny on Friday night. I saw that, which brings us to Sunday and what will complete Mickey's weekend on Monday night is a Philadelphia loss in Kansas City tonight. That's why I'm I'm decked out in red today. That's right. Can we play Stampede the victory song tomorrow morning? If the Cheeps beat the Eagles.
Speaker 10: And the Cowboy within a game, not how it goes Producer.
Speaker 4: All right, Savannah, how is your week?
Speaker 5: Oh my gosh, it was just amazing, it really was.
Speaker 9: I'm happy to be back today, but I am switching my brain from beach mode to football mode.
Speaker 5: So got to get back and you.
Speaker 7: Got to do it quick because I got another one coming up.
Speaker 5: On Thursday, exactly exactly. But we're back. It was very fun. But I'm happy to be back in the studio with you guys. Did we hold down the fort last week?
Speaker 4: Well kind of sort of.
Speaker 7: We muddled through it.
Speaker 10: Yeah, we really muddled through that show. Oh my god.
Speaker 7: And then Everson deserts us.
Speaker 10: It's pretty bad.
Speaker 7: That's way to New Mexico, Retthew, Mexico.
Speaker 10: I'm breaking I'm breaking bad.
Speaker 4: Okay. So so you know, I think it's interesting. We're going to start with the big story of the weekend if you want, which is the big story of the weekend. Well, that the Cowboys are now seven and three and what six games this season in which they won by twenty or more points, which is one away from the club record and set in nineteen sixty eight, or is it some other story.
Speaker 6: Well, let's do first things first, because the other story is big. But getting that win too straight now and pulling within a game and a half of the Eagles, who if they get beat tonight, it would only be one game back and you still get to play them, and they.
Speaker 4: Still have to play a resurgent Buffalo team that beat the Jets yesterday in San Francisco, which really is a resurgent And.
Speaker 7: The Cowboys and Seattle.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think that basically the Cowboys did what they should have done in Carolina. It took a little bit longer to.
Speaker 7: Materialize than they probably hoped for. But again, a win is a win on the road.
Speaker 6: And as Bill said, they beat another team by twenty plus points. Last time that happened. I'm not sure Everson was born.
Speaker 4: Yet the last time they had six more oh more more than six straight or six between nineteen sixty eight, and yes, Everson was born prior to that.
Speaker 7: I was born before this.
Speaker 10: That's I don't look like it, but that's right. So hey, so picks to click. What happened?
Speaker 4: I thought, Oh, when he said pick, I thought he was going right to the cornerback.
Speaker 6: Yeah, right, which, by the way, he's after.
Speaker 8: You man, this guy's amazing. Is that crazy? He's leading the team right in testdouse?
Speaker 11: That was his CS got five touchdowns a late serge, So that dies a single season NFL record four in one season.
Speaker 10: That's crazy, man, it's crazy.
Speaker 6: I mean, how many you have one one period in your career?
Speaker 7: In your career?
Speaker 10: Here?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 8: Yeah, really yeah, I gets all those in all those inters.
Speaker 10: I've heard it before. Thank you, I've heard it before.
Speaker 6: And did you do a forward role after you caught the ball and then got up and Rand.
Speaker 4: Man, don't you know as soon as he got that, well, anytime he picks it off, he's thinking in zone. Well, you know, in this case, in particular your book, Man, if you could read a person's mind, he knew exactly he's headed next.
Speaker 9: In his postgame interview, he was just saying how he thought back to his days when he was playing receiver in high school and how he just used to just.
Speaker 5: Read the ball and be able to have that in his hands.
Speaker 9: And he said, after especially breaking the record, like or I'm sorry tying the record, all he wants to do is break it at this point.
Speaker 10: So who's he tied with?
Speaker 4: There's three guys.
Speaker 9: Eric Allen most recently three nice ninety.
Speaker 4: Three for Eric Allen. And we're all getting old.
Speaker 5: Jim Kearnie, Kearney, Kearney.
Speaker 4: You know what you got me on him.
Speaker 5: Nineteen seventy two.
Speaker 4: And Ken you'll have to ask Mickey about him. Ken Houston though, Ken Houston, he's a big time player. Yeah, so Jim Carney, Kearney, you know, I think it's Kearnie.
Speaker 6: Okay, he said this morning, somebody asked him did he know about the record, and he goes, oh, yeah, I heard about it. And he said, so when I got the interception, I said to myself, I better get up and go get it.
Speaker 8: So he got so fair the wide receivers right there. Yeah, if he's alert, he's got just touch him. But I mean he wasn't alert.
Speaker 6: Well, you know what the weird thing was, Just before that happened, I was thinking in my head watching the game, I'm saying, have they thrown to another wide receiver other than theeling?
Speaker 10: Yeah?
Speaker 7: And they had Chenault had I.
Speaker 4: Think then out of the backfield a couple of he had a couple of catches, but he's used more.
Speaker 6: But they didn't throw the ball at Gilmore or at Bland. All those theling catches were uh Lewis or at the Finally the second half they put Thomas on him jan Ye Thomas. But they didn't throw any at Bland and Eddie at Gilmour the whole game. And the one time they did, I think it was Tomingo. Uh he picks it, it goes for a touchdown.
Speaker 4: Well, the last time they played at home, he had two pick sixes thrown right. Ryce Young didn't, so maybe they're was a reason they weren't throwing to the outside corners.
Speaker 8: Wide receivers need to turn into dbs. Obviously they picked.
Speaker 6: Sixes well, and then they did a very good job of putting pressure on poor Bryce Young.
Speaker 7: Seven sacks.
Speaker 6: Michaeh Parsons sets the tone with a third down sack on each of their first two possessions.
Speaker 7: Yes, both of us. By the way, well, well who had the.
Speaker 6: I want to know where well goes?
Speaker 4: It was before Savannah joined the show, so Savannah could pick Micah right ever since time Everson didn't we have a rule the first week of the season that you could pick Michael one time. Once this was special, Mickey decided he's because Micah didn't make this last night.
Speaker 10: That he could pick.
Speaker 7: He was going to be motivated.
Speaker 5: So we only have one one pick for Micah this year.
Speaker 10: One you get one one pig perpot.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so you picked a good week for We had special dispensation for it, special dispensation after he didn't get anything last week, not even a tackle.
Speaker 4: He changes the rules and like the Big twelve show.
Speaker 9: By the way, see I texted Mickey my clicks to pick on Friday morning and he just he responds, he goes, you keep stealing mine?
Speaker 5: What are you doing?
Speaker 7: She's reading my mind?
Speaker 10: And who had who had the White school? Who had clicked? I did?
Speaker 7: Oh?
Speaker 4: Which was I had forty two to thirteen?
Speaker 6: I think Savannah and I had thirty eight ten or thirty eight thirteen?
Speaker 12: I had?
Speaker 5: Yep, you had thirty eight twenty eight seventeen.
Speaker 10: Didn't I have thirty something?
Speaker 4: So thirty three to ten?
Speaker 7: So I was closest. Huh, I was closest thirty eight.
Speaker 4: Who is my pick to click? I think it was Deron Bland? Maybe was it?
Speaker 7: Somebody wrote somebody wrote it down.
Speaker 10: That's right, it wasn't. No, I can say he didn't.
Speaker 4: Have We did mention last week that Dern Bland slash Stefan Gilmore would be licking their chops this week because of the two picks, because he went your guy was Gilmour.
Speaker 7: What do we do for?
Speaker 4: Well, you have to be thrown at in order to do something right.
Speaker 6: We gave Chris our pod picks. I forgot what the question.
Speaker 10: Was Chris about this stuff.
Speaker 4: I don't remember either. Nick Eatman came in here and asked us after the show. Oh, that's right, and I don't even remember what it was now.
Speaker 6: It was first sack, No, it wast touchdown, defensive touchdown, defensive touchdown.
Speaker 10: Second, I'll pull up.
Speaker 4: I might have got one. This is where I might have picked band. I think I might have picked Bland on that we're gonna find out.
Speaker 10: I think.
Speaker 4: Okay, he goes producer supreme.
Speaker 2: Let's see. I have it right here.
Speaker 4: And I tried to cover the whole thing.
Speaker 7: This is last week. Well think about it.
Speaker 4: I try to cover myself on all picks. So we're going to save the other news for the next secon.
Speaker 7: Next sevement. Yeah, because we got special videos.
Speaker 13: All right, Savannah did not have a pad, right, she was still picked Bland, Yes, yes, he was one of it.
Speaker 4: Looks like about ten.
Speaker 2: You can patch yourself on the back.
Speaker 4: But yeah, urgeous age, I got something right. And then are we gonna make Are we gonna make it where Doron Blaine can't be picked anymore? Just like Micah and I had defensive the pod pic pod pick really stepped.
Speaker 7: Well, he might have had it one of those sacks.
Speaker 2: Nate said his but I did not send his end, okay, because he said Ferguson, I said he doesn't play. He kept saying Ferguson, Ferguson. I'm like, all right, oh, there.
Speaker 4: Was a Ferguson. He played in the defensive line.
Speaker 7: Here there was.
Speaker 2: He doesn't play it currently.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 6: So the win gets the Cowboys to seven and three, and they're halfway to my four game winning streak mandate that they have to be on before they play the Eagles.
Speaker 7: And now they get you.
Speaker 4: Know what, my mandate was five games Philadelphia.
Speaker 6: Too, Well, get to Philadelphia. But uh, and now they play three and seven Washington, who they've lost three of their last Is it three.
Speaker 7: And seven or four? No, they're not.
Speaker 11: They are.
Speaker 7: Four and seven. They haven't had it yet.
Speaker 4: Washington's now for four and seven.
Speaker 10: They losses though they lost.
Speaker 7: Not this lost one.
Speaker 5: They lost.
Speaker 4: They lost to the Giants.
Speaker 5: The Giants.
Speaker 6: Despite despite regism nine sacks of Tommy Brito, they they sacked nine times.
Speaker 4: Nine sacks, but they turned it over six times.
Speaker 6: But they turned the ball over, that's what happened.
Speaker 4: They had three interceptions and three fumbles lost. You know, after last week's game, I thought there's no way you can find a worst team in the NFL than the New York Giants. And then the New York Giants went to Washington and found the worst team at least on that day.
Speaker 10: That wasn't the worst.
Speaker 4: That wasn't the worst part of that day.
Speaker 10: By the way, for Washington, they lose.
Speaker 2: Somebody, did you hear what happened after the game?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 2: No, the hot water didn't work in either dressing room in in Washington.
Speaker 6: Well that's the old trick they used to play on the Cowboys.
Speaker 4: No, there was both locker rooms. They were both not working, both out of hot water. Out of hot water, so filled a lot colder for Washington.
Speaker 6: But they let Tommy DeVito throw for like two hundred and forty yards and three touchdowns.
Speaker 4: Told you you looked like Brock Purdy to me.
Speaker 10: That's right.
Speaker 6: Watch out for Tommy Devitop, which, by the way, at old RFK, Walt Garrison told me the story about how the Redskins would turn the hot water off in the Cowboys locker room after a game in one year it was cold outside and the water was not hot, and he basically wore his uniform on the charter flight back holder.
Speaker 7: He didn't even bother showering.
Speaker 6: He just took his helmet off, his pads and wore whatever else he had on.
Speaker 4: I don't blame him dirt and all. All right, we've got a video we're going to play when we come back here, as we will get to the top story of the weekend when mix shots get continues in a moment.
Speaker 14: I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys, and they.
Speaker 15: Snapped the fresh down. Who looks white, it's not there. He escaped left. He'll run full a punch down.
Speaker 10: Just like football.
Speaker 14: When it comes to crypto, it's important to have a team you can trust. With blockchain dot Com, I know I'm in good hands, says twenty eleven. They've been trusted by millions around the world to buy, sell, and trade crypto currency.
Speaker 15: Prescott's gonna run this himself, run it up the middle, and he scores.
Speaker 14: Whether you're new to crypto or an active trader, they've got you covered.
Speaker 10: What are you waiting for?
Speaker 14: Get started at blockchain dot com.
Speaker 12: You know that sound anywhere. It's the crisp crunch, that first nacho chip with its perfect cheese to sour cream ratio sitting atop a layer of delicious beans. It's a sip away from perfection.
Speaker 5: That's what we're looking for.
Speaker 12: Add a delicious, refreshing pepsi, and we've achieved absolute nacho nirvana. Because while you can pile those nachos high with every spicy, cheesy, savory topping, there's no topping of school pepsi. Finish nachos better with pepsi.
Speaker 4: That's what I like.
Speaker 16: The Medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for valor in combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the Civil War. Fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. It's being built right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest heroes. Learn more and get involved at mohmuseum dot org.
Speaker 17: Cowboys Football and Miller Lite would a pairing can cracks, a kickoff tailgates going way past postgame Sunday night overtimes, followed by Monday Morning Swag Brisky and the Smoker, Miller Lte and the two America's team playing America's Greatest spool Miller Lyte, the only beer of the Dallas Cowboys. Dallas Cowboys Football tastes like Miller Time, Celebrate Responsibly twenty twenty three Miliberal Company, Fort Worth, Texas.
Speaker 4: Dem shots.
Speaker 9: K Postproofing and Waterproofing, the official roofer of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 4: All right, very good. It's so nice to have Savannah back.
Speaker 5: Happy to be back, guys.
Speaker 4: You know, I was thinking, with the announcement just prior to kickoff yesterday that Jimmy is going into the Ring of Honor that you might have to be over the age of fifty, forty five or fifty to fully understand the whole. Jimmy and Jerry, I mean, we're approaching.
Speaker 10: It doesn't matter how old you are. Hard to understand. I mean, Jimmy and Jerry's thing.
Speaker 5: So like for me, I'm longer than forty five.
Speaker 4: Yes, yeah, but.
Speaker 5: I'm well aware of it. But give me a little contentt.
Speaker 4: Just to fully that's why I was thanking me exactly, you know. And it's thirty years ago this coming spring. As a matter of fact, it was March of nineteen ninety four when they parted ways after two straight Super Bowl wins. So we're approaching the thirty year mark on.
Speaker 7: That, which is amazing.
Speaker 4: So if let's think about it, when did you come into sports consciousness? Myself, I was about six or seven years old, probably before I really understood things about you know, NFL or whatever, and so you would have to be born in earlier than nineteen eighty eight to really understand what was going on when Jimmy and Jerry parted ways in nineteen ninety four, So that would put you at what thirty five years old?
Speaker 10: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Right, yeah, So yeah, it's been so I was exaggerate a little bit, so you have to be over the age of thirty five that fully understood. But really nineteen eighty nine is the start date on it as far as the Cowboys are concerned. So you'd have to be over the age of forty to have a really good comprehension of it, right, Vicky.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and I do have a very good consciousness of it. So funny thing that happened. I was walking down onto the field during warm ups and some guy. The Cowboy fans were all over the place. As a matter of fact, there was a parking lot that we drove past on the bus going to the stadium and it was specifically for Cowboy fans. They had tents up. It was just amazing how many Cowboy fans were there. So I'm walking down probably an hour and a half hour forty five before the game, to go down for watch warm ups, and some guy stops me, and you know the chat and the last thing he asked me, he goes, so, when's Jerry gonna put Jimmy into the ring of bottom? And I said, don't worry, it's gonna happen. It will happen at some point. Well, what did I know about as soon as I got the other side of the field that Jimmy it was about to happen.
Speaker 7: Because Jimmy was there, he was talking to Jerry.
Speaker 6: Everything was upbeat, and there was a lady in the middle there talking with him while I found out she was a reproducer for Fox. Okay, and they had this whole thing already coordinated for like two weeks, that this was what's gonna happen at this game.
Speaker 7: Because when I saw Jimmy, I'm going, well, what's he doing here?
Speaker 6: Yeah, they have a pregame show to do.
Speaker 4: I found out during our pregame show live on CBS eleven, which starts at ten thirty on Sunday morning, and they said during our break, they said that they've got a shot at Jimmy and Jerry talking to each other. That's what we're gonna show coming out of this next break. I'm like, why is Jimmy Fox? Why would Fox do their pregame show at Carolina?
Speaker 6: And I had already watched so clueless.
Speaker 4: And so I immediately thought, well, Jimmy must be there because Jerry's gonna induct him into the Carolina Panthers Ring of Honor.
Speaker 6: Right, So he's smart alec right, And then that was my first thought. And then it was like everything was so upbeat, and I'm thinking, oh, I know.
Speaker 7: What's getting ready to happen.
Speaker 6: But I didn't know they had it coordinated with at the time with Fox to show it live on their pregame show.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 6: And so that's why that lady was talking to him on and on and I see Scott Purcell, he's got the boom pole and Jimmy and Jerry are talking and he's got it up over their heads and I'm.
Speaker 7: Going, well, why is he doing that?
Speaker 6: You know exactly, They already knew, but they.
Speaker 4: Got did a good job of keeping keeping a secret.
Speaker 7: That's right, he did.
Speaker 6: And then when I finally found out, then it was like, and you can't tweet it out. That's going live, And I think somebody probably did there.
Speaker 4: He can't keep it. I think people started putting to it and two together.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 9: So I saw Jimmy and Jerry and the Jones family at the Chargers game, so he was there on the sidelines during that game, but they were just having a normal conversation. So I'm honestly curious how far this has been planned.
Speaker 4: I heard I actually heard this morning that Jimmy. I heard this from Pat Jones, former Oklahoma State head coach and assistant coach with Jimmy with the Dolphins and with Jimmy at Oklahoma State when Jimmy was a head coach there. He said on his radio show this morning. They had an Oklahoma state reunion two weeks ago and Jimmy flew here. His wife had friends here who stayed in Dallas that weekend while Jimmy went up to Stillwater for the reunion. And that's when Jimmy met with Jerry, which was two.
Speaker 6: Weeks ago back and I was told it came too furish. And two weeks ago so this thing had been.
Speaker 4: Pat said he had to keep it a secret for two weeks.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 6: So anyway, so I'm standing there and I don't know if Chris found the video that Alex shot, but I'm standing there watching this, and Jimmy looks up and sees me, and he kind of gives me a little wave, and then Jerry had walked away.
Speaker 7: And next thing, I know, if Chris has the video, do you have it?
Speaker 2: Chris?
Speaker 10: There?
Speaker 7: It is watched this and for folks listening, and.
Speaker 4: Guess what he guess what we need to explain for people who aren't watching.
Speaker 10: Jimmy came over and shook my head.
Speaker 4: He looked like he shouted something yet someone over there, and he went over and shook Mickey's hands. Are you going next?
Speaker 6: So what he said what he said was he goes, it feels like we should be doing the radio show again.
Speaker 7: Because when he.
Speaker 6: Was the beginning of eighty nine ninety ninety one, somewhere in there, he was doing his radio show at the at the ranch from a closet and me and the producer Rich Pumenko would sit there with him during that hour radio show that they were hosting back at KLD, right, and so every week uh Rich would bring a cooler of Heineken. And so when he said that, I said, so do I need to go get some Heineken?
Speaker 7: And he goes, it's now Heineken white.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 7: But afterwards, so this is hilarious.
Speaker 6: So were they finished the press conference, and the press conference went past the kickoff, and so we're walking to the elevator to the press box sweep level, and they were kind of walking with us, and so they all get in the entourage and everybody else gets in the elevator and we were going to have to wait. Well, somebody in the elevator starts doing this like motioning, come on in, come on in, And I didn't know they were motioning somebody behind me.
Speaker 7: I thought they were saying.
Speaker 18: For me to come in.
Speaker 6: There was room, so I just walked.
Speaker 18: He Jimmy said to me, Well, the funny thing was, so I go in and somebody follows in after me, right, and Jimmy looks at me and he goes, you know, he goes, when we did that radio show, he goes, I thought, you know, when we first got here, I used.
Speaker 6: To do the radio show at the University of Miami on location, he goes. But when we got here and things were going so bad, I figured I didn't need to be out in the public for this. So we did it in a closet across across from a hallway at at Valley Ranch, and we'd sit there and Jimmy would drink his Heinekens during the break and you know, and I got to hear the best part was in the breaks, right, because now he was telling me stuff that he couldn't say on the air. So it was pretty smad, and I couldn't believe after all these years, that's what he remembered, right, not the time he got in the elevator before a preseason game at the hotel and I was with my family members and he looks at like eight or ten year old daughter and goes, boy, you need to tell your dad he needs to be nicer to me.
Speaker 10: What'd you do? What'd you do?
Speaker 6: I said, oh, nice, No, because he thought we were all criticizing him because they were losing all the time.
Speaker 7: Hey it was one in fifteen.
Speaker 10: Yeah, we were losing all the time.
Speaker 6: So anyway, it was you know what, and the whole thing when they did the press conference, and I just wrote about it in my column. Part of my column, they were up on the podium together, and it sorta reminded me short of the Super Bowl Trophy when they were on podiums together yucking it up and having a good time after winning the Super Bowls, and just to see them both up there now in their eighties, it just seemed right. And it finally, as Jerry and and Jimmy both said, if we weren't so stubborn, this probably would have happened a long time ago, or what happened would not have happened if we weren't young and stubborn.
Speaker 10: If we weren't young.
Speaker 6: They said both they were, yeah, and both of them, they were both part of it. It wasn't just Jerry, it was Jimmy because he was looking for or an out, because he wanted to go coach somewhere else where there was water, and he had already flirted with Jacksonville the Giants, and then was looking at Miami too, by the way, which he ended up with two years later.
Speaker 4: Right, there was not enough water at Lake Grapevine.
Speaker 12: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Well, here here's the other party, at the spot where you win the Super Bowl.
Speaker 7: Here's the other part of it.
Speaker 6: When he was doing that radio show, technically he was under contract that whatever he got paid for it had to go to the Cowboys.
Speaker 7: But after the.
Speaker 6: Ninety three Super Bowl, Carol d had a sponsor and they gave him a boat, and he went on vacation.
Speaker 7: For two weeks in March.
Speaker 6: Or no, January of ninety three, after the Super Bowl, so probably February. And he got back to the ranch and I ran into him, and I go, where the hell you been?
Speaker 7: He goes, I went on vacation.
Speaker 6: I go vacation, just like that, He goes, it's the first vacation I've taken since I took the job at Oklahoma State. And that was nineteen seventy.
Speaker 7: Eight, if I remember, I think that's right.
Speaker 6: And I said to myself, Oh, no, he's found out there's life beyond football. This is not a good sign, right, And by God, three months later or two months later, the breakup happened well.
Speaker 4: And then after he retired from coaching after the Dolphin stint, he figured out there's life beyond football. He really truly found out there's life beyond football. Now what I was struck by. I did a zoom interview with him about when his book came out, maybe last year at this time Swagger his book came out, and even just via zoom, I was amazed at at how relaxed he is now compared to what he was thirty years ago, and just now he was selling a book. But how genuine really, And I'd heard these stories about him from all the TV producers and people who work with him at Fox and Stuff. Funnest guy ever, yeah, ever, just as nice as could be.
Speaker 6: So two quick stories and then we'll move on. One year in training camp in Austin, And it was after Tony Wise and Dave Wantstat left for Chicago, so it had been after the ninety two Super Bowl and wants That got the head coaching job. So we're at training camp and all of a sudden, Rich Dell Rymple, the Cowboys PR guy, comes around to a couple of us and said, hey, Jimmy wants to have a little happy hour with you guys. Well, what was happening is his guys weren't there and he needed to go and talk, right. So we go to this Mexican restaurant in Austin and.
Speaker 7: Having beers and nachos or whatever.
Speaker 6: And the mariachi band is playing and they kept coming playing by us, right, and we couldn't hear each other. There was no talking. So Jimmy finally gets up and goes.
Speaker 7: Hands the guy.
Speaker 6: It was the head of the mariachi band. Here's one hundred dollars if you'll just quit play. I think they do that on purpose, right, And he just wanted to shoot the bull with people, right, to just talk. And he was just talking football, was all off the record and just having a really good time.
Speaker 7: But that was him.
Speaker 6: He would he would he if you could get him away from football. And then I remember Daryl Johnson. Johnston told me this. They were in that nineteen three season. They were seven and four and they had lost the first two games of the season and they had lost the two games Sunday Thursday and seven and four, and he basically went and told the team, if we're going to win the NFC East, if we're gonna get home field advantage for the playoffs, we got to win the final five games. And he, Darryl told me he just grinded and grinded and grinded during those five games to win, and they eventually did. But it was overtime Eddie Murray field goal. And what everybody forgets, it was the second possession of overtime because they stopped him on The Giants had the ball first, and they win the game on an overtime field goal.
Speaker 7: They go to twelve and twelve.
Speaker 6: And four and get home field advantage, and you know, the rest is history. Darryl said, I don't think he could have coached us any harder the next year, that he had used every trick in the trade to get him to win five straight and he didn't have to coach him the next year. But yeah, he could be intense, but he also could be a heck of a lot of fun.
Speaker 4: I just think it's funny this whole time, ever since sitting here listening to all.
Speaker 8: This stuff, Hey, I'm just trying to be a good guy. Yeah, I just nod in my head.
Speaker 10: Yeah, yeah, good guy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he said the texting sitting there texted this whole time, texting my friends.
Speaker 7: Jimmy and the.
Speaker 18: Sud.
Speaker 8: Somebody gets spags and knacking.
Speaker 4: We continue with more mick shots in just a moment.
Speaker 16: The Medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for valor in combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces into the Civil War. Fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. It's being built right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest heroes. Learn more and get involved at mohmuseum dot org.
Speaker 17: Cowboys Football and Miller Lite. What a pairing can cracks A kickoff tailgates going way past postgame Sunday night overtimes, followed by Monday Morning Swagger, Brisky and the Smoker, Miller Lte and the Creek, America's team playing America's Greatest school. Miller Lyte, the only beer of the Dallas Cowboys. Dallas Cowboys Football taste like Miller Time, Celebrate Responsibly twenty twenty three, Miller Brown Company, Fort Worth, Texas.
Speaker 14: I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 15: As they snapper the Presscott who looks right, it's not there. He escapes left. You'll love full a post down.
Speaker 4: Just like football.
Speaker 14: When it crypto, it's important to have a team you can trust. With blockchain dot Com, I know I'm in good hands. Since twenty eleven, they've been trusted by millions around the world to buy, sell, and trade crypto currency.
Speaker 15: Prescott's gonna run thish in show, run it up the middle and he scores.
Speaker 14: Whether you're new to crypto or an active trader, They've got you covered.
Speaker 10: What are you waiting for?
Speaker 14: Get started at blockchain dot Com.
Speaker 12: You know that sound anywhere. It's the crisp crunch, that first nacho chip with its perfect cheese to sour cream ratio sitting atop a layer of delicious beans. It's a sip away from perfection.
Speaker 5: That's what we're looking for.
Speaker 12: Add a delicious, refreshing pepsi, and we've achieved absolute nacho nirvana. Because while you can pile those nachos high with every spicy, cheesy, savory topping. There's no topping of cool PEPSI finish nachos better with PEPSI.
Speaker 10: That's what I like.
Speaker 1: To mixed shots.
Speaker 9: The Salvation Armies twenty seventh annual Red Kettle Kickoff for T turns to AT and T Stadium this Thanksgiving. Get excited to watch the one and only Dolly Parton rock the stage.
Speaker 5: During the halftime show. When You're Dallas Cowboys go head to head with the Washington Commanders.
Speaker 9: Tune in at three point thirty pm on CBS this Thursday.
Speaker 4: Did you happen to see Dolli in Knoxville on Saturday? I did singing her version of Rocky Top.
Speaker 7: And she couldn't hear her ifp was at work. And then it was too loud and she's singing it and she's going, I hope this is good guy.
Speaker 6: And then they interviewed They interviewed her in the tunnel afterwards while the game.
Speaker 10: Was going on.
Speaker 7: She looked, good man, Oh yes, it sounded good, right.
Speaker 6: So DA's I got to find out where he got the T shirt. He wore a T shirt to the on the charter and then after the game, and it was a big Dolly.
Speaker 7: It said, kind of a kind of a picture drawing.
Speaker 5: So she has her own collection. I think of merch.
Speaker 9: I believe that they're putting it somewhere here this week. I'm not sure if it's at the Star or the stadium for those merch sales, but I know I think our pro shop is doing a line.
Speaker 7: Well, you need to get on that.
Speaker 5: I'll see what we can do.
Speaker 7: See what you can do.
Speaker 6: Tell them we'll get four dollies here for yeah, Tuesday and Wednesday. There we go.
Speaker 7: Absolutely.
Speaker 2: Dak was wearing the line, by the way this press conference.
Speaker 5: Hey, what it was the Dolly line.
Speaker 2: Dak Prescott was wearing the Dolly parting line at the Prescott That's what it was.
Speaker 6: Okay, Well I just said it was a T shirt. Know where he got it.
Speaker 4: Dolly will turn seventy eight in January.
Speaker 10: Wow.
Speaker 4: Peyton Manning escorted or out in Knoxville. So who's going to do the escort this on Thursday? Jerry, of course I do.
Speaker 7: I mean, I can't remember what year it was, if you were still there or not. He escorted Elizabeth Taylor tried for the coin toss.
Speaker 4: I believe it was something like that.
Speaker 9: Well, the Cowboys were ten and a half point favorites going into Thursday already, already.
Speaker 6: I wonder if well Washington will get up for it just because it's the Cowboys, right.
Speaker 10: I don't trust them at all. I don't trust the commanders.
Speaker 4: It was actually play well, yeah, to play badly.
Speaker 6: Oh, to play bad, yeah, to play badly.
Speaker 10: But I don't trust him to do that.
Speaker 8: No, you're right, Yeah, these rivalry games, I just don't even.
Speaker 6: Though none of those people playing on the team know anything about the rival.
Speaker 4: All right, to get a little story on the Elizabeth Taylor, it was nineteen eighty nine. It was it was nineteen eighty nine, and it was Washington and it was Joe Gibbs. Joe Gibbs spewed, first time have ever gotten mad at the coin flip because Jerry had Elizabeth Taylor there for the She was making an appearance to promote her perfume in Dallas when Jerry got the idea of having her do the coin toss before the Washington Dallas game, which was won by Washington thirty to seven. Cowboys won at Washington that year, their only win of that nineteen eighty.
Speaker 10: Nine sients, so my only interception that year.
Speaker 4: Jones escorted her onto the field like a prom queen and her bow. The referee was unnerved. She seems somewhat unfamiliar with the workings of the coin flip, and frankly, Dexter Manley wanted nothing to do with her or Jones.
Speaker 8: What is the problem. I don't understand what the lady came out to flip. To give us some respect, man, it's a damn game. You know we're gonna lose. Well one, if you know one in fifteen year, you could see what was going on. They're coming out that wagon, that stuff around break.
Speaker 7: Did they screw up the coin flip?
Speaker 4: Well, here's what the story. And then this is a story of the Washington Post from twenty eleven. Dexter manually wanted nothing to do with Elizabeth Taylor or Jones. To hell with Elizabeth Taylor. That new owner, Jim Jones, what's his name? He was gonna let her call the coin toss like we were some kind of idiots that tried to make this out to be some big Hollywood thing. This is Dallas, Texas country.
Speaker 8: Folks, Jim Zim Jones, this is coin toss.
Speaker 10: You know, didn't it didn't hold anything up.
Speaker 4: Evidently, referee Pat Haggarty considered her more important than the Cowboys players. Here are his opening words. Captains from Dallas meet the captains from Washington. Captains from Washington meet Liz Taylor and Jerry Jhons. Haggarty then flipped the coin. Liz, who was supposed to flip it, instead called it heads. She said, and it heads up. But one of the Redskins process is that the visiting team is supposed to make the call. It's our ball man, said Tidy End Terry Orr. That's what said Haggarty to Liz. You've got me all shook up. He flipped it again. Washington called heads and won. Liz and Jones they went to his luxury box to watch Washington win thirty to seven, and.
Speaker 6: He called him Jim Jones. Wasn't that the kool aid guy?
Speaker 10: Yeah that's true. I wasn't going to say that. Yeah.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Well that's more history that no.
Speaker 10: One knows him home.
Speaker 4: Okay, we continue our trip down memory. Well, we got a minute left. You got another mix shot. What are you writing down?
Speaker 6: I'm writing down the title for our for Oh, it just came into my head.
Speaker 10: I don't want to.
Speaker 4: Eversince hasn't had a chance to say much in this show. Everson, would you like to give a mix? Shunt?
Speaker 6: Hey, you should be happy you want to?
Speaker 8: No, no, no, really. When I came in last night, my wife was was around. She's like, hey, Jimmy made it like, man, it's about time. That's about That's basically all you could say, right, And you know you would think that, you know, Jerry would take that all you know, all the way you know, and take that that that you know, negativity, you know, all the way to the end. I'm glad he didn't because you just don't want to, you know, you don't want to. Well what he let something like that just fester? It's already faster, too long.
Speaker 6: And infester is a good word because part of him knew that if he didn't do it, or he hadn't done it, it kept the conversation going right, And then I think it realized when DeMarcus Ware went in. That's when I thought that now the question was, well what about Jimmy.
Speaker 7: So anybody else.
Speaker 6: Goes in, it almost diminished their day because now what about Jimmy?
Speaker 8: It always well, I mean, every year it's been what about Jimmy? But yeah, you know, I think when you, yeah, holding things so personal against someone to where it all it eats away at you. You know, that's when you have to start looking at this a whole other way. I've always said, there's a lot of people out there on light, but they still deserve better. And I said last night to my wife, Jimmy deserves better. You know, I could care less what I think about him. It's about you know, obviously, it's about more than just our relationship.
Speaker 9: And he'll get his moment on December thirtieth, correct the.
Speaker 10: Play, Yeah, came in with that one.
Speaker 7: And the reason for picking that game.
Speaker 4: Saturday night game on ESPN, and who broadcasts on ESPN, Now that would be one Troy Oh boy. That was also part of the plan and part of the plan on out for instance, Thursday's games on CBS okay, and then the following Thursday is on Prime game and then the Eagles game NBC. This was like the last Fox game that had Fox Cowboy game at least for a while, and so that was why they picked the Carolina.
Speaker 7: Right so Troy could be there.
Speaker 4: And I think, oh, you meant picked to make the naw they wanted They wanted it to be a part of the Fox pre game show.
Speaker 10: Right, imagine doing it apt Buffalo.
Speaker 2: The Buffalo people were like, no, you can't do a press conference about.
Speaker 10: Going to your ring vans. At that time of year, nobody wants to be in Buffalo.
Speaker 6: I will withhold the story, but there was some Carolina people that weren't happy with us after the game either.
Speaker 7: But I'll tell you that.
Speaker 2: Can you hear another funny story about that? What is uh but the starting quarterback for Buffalo the year that uh? Jerry right, Frank Wright, who's on the other sideline right?
Speaker 7: Well, guess who else?
Speaker 3: Was it?
Speaker 7: The press box? Bill Pollian?
Speaker 4: Oh that's right, Yeah, yeah, he lives in Carolina, right, I.
Speaker 7: Saw him after the game.
Speaker 6: Yeah, because he was the GM there when they beat the Cowboys. That eliminade him from the playoffs the ninety sixth season. So not only did he have to suffer through the ninety two Super Bowl, which would have been the third Super Bowl in a row Buffalo lost under his jurisdiction.
Speaker 10: But yeah, so.
Speaker 7: When I saw that, I said, there's no way he's here for this. They have to go through this again.
Speaker 4: Yes, way, all right, that does it for a Monday edition of Mick Shane's in Savannah. You learned a lot about Jimmy and Jerry in the last forty five minutes, didn't you.
Speaker 5: I did.
Speaker 9: I'm actually looking forward to December thirtieth and Jimmy's speech.
Speaker 5: On that day.
Speaker 7: Yep, that'll be a good one.
Speaker 6: And we expect you for what your real job is. Okay, this is your real job too. Get us Dolly's autograph or something.
Speaker 5: We'll see what we can do.
Speaker 10: All right.
Speaker 4: No, let's get Dolly as a guest here.
Speaker 7: That's right.
Speaker 4: Let's bring around and then we can get Jimmy as a guest on the show when he's in town and.
Speaker 10: Mexico.
Speaker 4: All right, we'll shout at you again tomorrow here on Mick Shots Go Cowboys.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.