Speaker 1: What us up. Mets fans, Welcome back to another episode of the Mets Stuff podcast series went out of the All Star Break in Philly, first time since twenty twenty two, I believe, yep, wild crazy. We're gonna talk about it as well as all the trade rumors, all the noise going around with the New York Mets. Francisco Lindoor is at the top of everybody's list to talk about. If you want clicks, you gotta put Francisco Lindor in the title, which is why we did it, because we're getting in on our clicks now. Thank you guys for clicking on us. Thank you for watching. If you're listening to us on Apple, Spotify, Google, appreciate you, download, subscribe, give us a rating. We do appreciate it. Without further Ado James talk about this nice little series. Honestly, out of the All Star break.
Speaker 2: This was a great series. This was a nice moment to kind of appreciate where like the positive parts this Mets team are. We saw a great scar from Christian Scott, saw a great star from Miillan McLain. On Sunday specifically, we saw the lineup really lean on Alan Ronhelle as now we get that name correct, and we saw the top of the other guy on base at will. We saw Francisco Lindor go a triple away from the cycle. Don't say too loud, don't say too loud. We saw Tyron Taylor, Luis Terrenz, the bombing other get in on the action as well, Francisco Alvarez, every single person set. Marcus Emian had at least moments of a very good series in Philadelphia.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean ending the series with what an over five and four ks on today, little Golden Sombrero, a.
Speaker 2: Couple of runs competitions as well.
Speaker 1: I do feel like we're probably gonna see less and less of him as the season goes on. He's just He's really not any better than Brett Bady, and Brett Batty's not particularly good right now either.
Speaker 2: At least it's worth giving Brett bay At back to see what you have. I was almost shocked that Semion came off the injured list to start games this weekend.
Speaker 1: I could did we get told six to eight weeks with it is what it is. Let's talk about positive things. Positive Christian Scott. Let's start with him.
Speaker 2: Oh, Christian Scott's so good. Christian Scott is a I'm gonna start calling him. I'm gonna start doing this for a couple of pitchers in the league who I have this distinction for.
Speaker 1: He's a rocket ship pitcher. Okay, rocket ship explain.
Speaker 2: He's very good. He has a very solid foundation. But he has a clear thing that's still stopping him from getting to the next level, and that's having weapons for left handed batters. We saw in this game as effective as he was just breezing through the first five innings, running into trouble in the sixth the kyleege Schwarber double left. He's coming up. You take him out, you bring lefty in to face the lefties. Christian Scott to me is a rocket ship pitcher because once there are enough weapons to actually get the lefties, and it seems like based on what he has and the kind of pitcher he is and just the way that he pitches, those will come.
Speaker 1: The color look good.
Speaker 2: The curve ball had some moments of flashing. We haven't seen the splither really ever in a while, but I think all these things have a chance of coming together eventually. Once he has two pitches to get lefties out, he's to me, he's closing in up being close to a front line like top two to three pitcher instead of right now still stuck out of four or five.
Speaker 1: I mean, the whole thing about it is that that fastball is so ridiculously good. It's an awesome fastball, and the fact that he throws it so much up in the zone and we're now seeing Nolan McClain do that, which is something Nolan McLain out a lot love to see that. And the sweeper is unbelievable from him. Like, those two pitches are absolute dynamite. Blake, you said that is against righty's. If he can get that pitch against the lefties, you're right, he does just become a frontline starter. That is the difference. But here's the great thing about Christian Scott is that the difference between those two I feel like is not crazy. Where Like he still has a two point eight seven era and he still doesn't have that pitch like it's crazy. That's what's nuts about this is that I feel like the version that we're seeing of him right now, while there can be improvement. If you told me that Christian Scott was like this for the Mets, for the rest of his career in his time here, I'd be thrilled. I'd be over the moon.
Speaker 3: Dude.
Speaker 2: We open the season a lot of time ago, a lot of the very different thoughts that are my the go and Christian Scott wasn't even a guaranteed part of this rotation. We didn't even see him as that. And now we're through this part of the season catastrophe as it may be, and he's been the second most consistent pitcher in this entire staff. Like even this game, like shrouded in smoke in a game that probably shouldn't have been played. Whoever, ESPN was like, we have to play this game.
Speaker 1: Whatever. Friday night was worse than Philly. Did you see that there there's smoke levels higher on Friday. No, yeah, the next day was actually worse. All right, credit to them. Then back to that.
Speaker 2: But like he he was nasty, Like that fastball was in the zone, it was missing bats unstoppably. The sweeper he had perfect command of it. Think like the frisbee and I think this start more than the last few. Like he got that color and on the lefties really really well, Like he got a really ugly swing and missed some Schwarber, he got a couple of uncomfortable swings from Marsh like it was just he got it to a point where it was close enough where those guys were offering at it, and then by the time it got to them, they were looking ugly swinging at it. Like he he has everything, Like when I watched Christian Scott and just filled with joy of him one being back on the mound and two seeing the weapons that are there. They're ready to take the next step forward.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if he gets that next pitch, it's gonna be crazy. Just he looked. He's a very very fun pitcher to watch, something that you know, like you said, coming into the season, the expectations were pretty low. Absolutely, whatever he gets is great. Well, low expectations are just like pitch health. That was kind of what we had coming into the year. Be healthy. Still is. But with the performances that he's giving us and the fact that the Mets seemingly win every time he's on the mound, that's his role this year. It is nice to watch.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's nice to watch and he's amazing and that game as well, Francis Guilfors two home runs off the break just gets to see him get confidence. Things we have to hold on to.
Speaker 1: Only hit him ninety only. He plays so much better anecdotally hitting ninth than when they hit him up in the order. And I do think a possible theory behind that is because the top of the order for the Mets, whether Mets fans at home want to believe it or not, it's very strong right now. It's a strong top of the order. Shockingly, Francisco Alvarez has to get pitches in the zone. One of the things that's sold him down a little bit this year is he's chasing, He's doing some of that stuff. He's getting pitches in the zone now because the guys behind him can hit, they want to face him instead, and he's absolutely doing damage, which I love to.
Speaker 2: Say, again, this is very small sample bullshit. I'll tell you guys to play the appearances as I read out the ops plus of Francisco Alvarez in different spots in this in the order. So if Francisc galvers hits thirds happened five games, twenty one play appearances, it is where's ops so one ninety five ops?
Speaker 1: Like just ops, not ops plus? No, it was TP.
Speaker 2: I didn't realize it was advanced all Baseball Reference stuffs one ninety five ops, fourth, two fifty eight and twelve twelve play appearance still nothing, fifth thirty four play appearances eight fifty six great five all good spot for him. Sixth forty three, five forty three, seventh, uh yeah, seventh twenty eight played appearances. That's nine to seventy again great for some reason. Eight thirty three played appearance is six forty six, ninth sixty eight played appearances over eleven hundred.
Speaker 1: I knew it was so good. I knew it anecdotically, right, I love it. But it's just there is something with him, I believe though, Like when he gets lower in the order, because we've talked about it before, when you get moved up, he gets very very very aggressive, Like you're aggressive than he ever is. He tries to hit the twelve twelve run home run every single time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think that, like that's kind of adorable and when you're a first, second, third year player, But like now it's like it's time for to become a piece of the corps. And I still think with the bat specifically, he will be and can be a piece of the corps. But yeah, continuing struggling defensively, continuing to basically split time there with Luis Torenz because he's so poor there.
Speaker 1: You have to hit your you have to hit a lot.
Speaker 2: Yes, become worth it now because there was discourse of Bant francisc whoever is changing his position this weekend and went around I don't know mes's played. They had the day off on Friday, and then there was a lot the ranked de lan on Saturday. The conversations began. We'll get some more of those conversations like this. They got out of control. But he doesn't really have another position because he's like five ft ten.
Speaker 1: I don't think he'd be particularly good at first base, if there's anywhere he's gonna play. I'm not even kidding. Based on our interview all those years back with the cycle and he's talking about his youth days, I think his best options are playing second base or Maurfield.
Speaker 2: Third base like that.
Speaker 1: That is really it.
Speaker 2: But realistically, if you want to be a really, really good defensive team in this league, he probably will not do that. So a lot of the rest of the season will be about him taking strides on both sides of the ball. WI have to watch defensively, but nice out of the break, starting the right foot, starting style.
Speaker 1: Two big home runs. Yes, that's kind of it right for this game. Shout out Bret Baty hitting well again. Yeah, but he's still as well. I just wish you.
Speaker 2: Could play more instead of other guys who are getting those reps.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Game two was not particularly great. Sham and I on the mound just kind of got smacked around. Didn't really have his best stuff. Mets couldn't touch Hazes, Sozardo really wasn't much of this game. It was kind of a quick breeze over and of course Code I Sanga came in and stunk it up again. I floated this on my channel, James, let me get your opinion. Two guys that we think got nothing left, nothing left in the tank. Would you make a Code I sangle for Christian Javier swap just? I mean, just change it. Why not. We'll take your bag guy, you take our bad guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but definitely, but I feel like Code I feel the money, do more money, so the Astros would never do that.
Speaker 1: Look at Javier's contract right now, he like, weirdly, I think signed one of those extensions. I think he's due, like I think Senga probably is due a little bit more money, So okay, you even it out, you pay whatever it would be to even it out. Would you make that switch? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Probably, But I also feel like at that point, oh my god, Christian, yeah the big he got sixty four million guarantee. Christian Xavier is making twenty one million this year, in twenty one million next year.
Speaker 1: That's what I'm saying. I think that's a good moment.
Speaker 2: For everyone out there who always thinks those arbitration avoid their contracts always win.
Speaker 1: This one did not.
Speaker 2: No, there's a good few that do not, So it's a good reminder right there. I actually would not do that. I would not pick Christianavier more money next year than go that Saanga.
Speaker 1: What if they evened it with they what if they gave us money?
Speaker 2: The astros are giving us money?
Speaker 1: Yeah, in this fairy tale world.
Speaker 2: Theoretically, yeah, sure, why not? Because I feel like it's just so broken here, but there's no way that would ever happen.
Speaker 1: All right, just worth the shop, that's worth the shop.
Speaker 2: That's I can't believe he's making twenty one million dollars next year.
Speaker 1: I know when I was doing my one player for every team that's going to get traded. I was like, Oh my god, they've got to be dying to get rid of him at any cost.
Speaker 2: No this, but uh sad they Manaya has a very unique opportunity against the Phillies. That's a very left handed heavy lineup that doesn't platoon as much as most teams of baseball, where you can't pitch well. And I feel like the first time and a half around the lineup like he actually was on top of it. I thought the sweeper looked nasty.
Speaker 1: Early.
Speaker 2: He started missing a lot with the sinker late, especially against the Riighties, and the Philly started scoring runs this and that happens.
Speaker 1: You're not We weren't gonna sweep them. We could win a series in Philadelphia and we sweep them.
Speaker 2: But the issues again came and came into this game because the guy has nothing like that. He got Manaia out of the fifth inning, and then he came up in the sixth. The first pitch of the inning, Bryson Scott hits a laser beam off the wall first.
Speaker 1: Which says a lot because that guy doesn't hit laser beams off of anybody almost.
Speaker 2: I think it more so said, and Ron and Gary were talking about this in the booth that it seemed like it really got in Code's head. It seemed like he got tried to be much more precise after that, I tried to be a little bit more just careful of about the way he was pitching. And then when that was happening afterwards, everything fell apart. Like directly after that triple, it was two consecutive walks to Trey Turner and kyleesh Warburn. In those two consecutive walks, neither of them swunk the bat. They were both very ready to get pitches out of the strikes from Code, I Sanga and then after that Bress Harper hit a single and then Koli and the Mets events did well besides for an error from the door to actually keep more runs off the board. But like you could just see it in his eyes, in his body language, once that triple was hit, he didn't really have anything to get through that.
Speaker 4: If you're watching us, you already know we're wearing Mack Weldon right now, as we talk about a great brand that makes things so comfortable and easy to wear. But if you're listening to the show, let me tell you a little bit more about Mack Weldon with my friend Eric Kratz.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's comfortable, it's light. It's summertime right now for me though. They cater to what I need tall clothes. Normally, when I buy tall clothes it's like something that's cumbersome and boxy. It still fits incredibly well, super light, perfect for the summertime. They got me all covered.
Speaker 4: Comfortable performance material can be yours. Mack Weldon is the spot. Don't sweat the heat this summer. Feel as effortlessly cool as you look. With Mack Weldon. Go to Mackweldon dot com and get twenty percent off your first order of one hundred and twenty five bucks or more with promo code foul. That's m ackw e l d o N dot com code foul.
Speaker 1: No, he's He pitches like a skittish cat, which I guess is just every cat. They're skittish. They like they see what they can do. If it doesn't work, they back away again, like they just completely get away from it. They stay disted. It feels like code is Sanga is just he's scared to be on the mound. It doesn't feel like he's a guy who wants the ball, which is, you know, like bullshit speak, but it also feels evident.
Speaker 2: I think it could be bullshit speak sometimes when it's about the bullshit situation, but I think this situation where it's complete fucking correct, like he might even.
Speaker 1: Tell you that.
Speaker 2: I feel it like he threw forty five pitches, he got four outs.
Speaker 1: That's like difficult to do well.
Speaker 2: And again in the middle of the Phillies line up good lineup right there, tough to get through them all. But it was a complete slog watching him in that sixth inning, and it just felt like he didn't really trust any of the stuff in the zone. He kept trying to throw ghost forks to get guys to chase they weren't chasing, and then he kind of don't have anything less after that.
Speaker 1: If you know that the pitches aren't going to be in the zone to begin with, it's really easy to not swing at those pitches when they're not in the zone.
Speaker 2: And it's a shame, Like he's one of the guys that I feel like is an interesting conversation this trade deadline, maybe just for us, because maybe every single other team in the league circled him like we're not trading for him as possible, but it's it's just unbelievable to watch where this has devolved to in the last three years. That's the guy, how how incredible he was with philosophy and cothers in the zone and ripping the ghost fork off of that, whether it was just the league getting used to one of the most unique pitches in it, he's so far away from being effective right now. It's a horrible to watch.
Speaker 1: The drop off is faster than I could have ever predicted. For a guy who looked like he was getting better as the year went on, which is not something that you normally see. He is an absolute shell of himself. And again, if the Mets were playing any sort of competitive possible postseason baseball, there's a zero percent chance he'd be on this roster.
Speaker 2: He'd be in Syracuse. No, And I think this was a moment. Again, these have happened over the last few months, but Gary keithan Ron doing this weekend together, it's almost sad when these guys are in the booth together now for such a bad team. It is because they just feel a little slugs isn't the word, but they just feel a little downtrodden because of how much the team has destroyed them over the year, and there he happened. I was like, oh man, they just seemed really tired of watching not even this guy pitched this team play. Lindor made another few errors in this game, Like it just was a it was a bad vibe watching this team on Saturday.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and we've seen this before with this team. There's there's bad vibes in many of games throughout the entire season, throughout last year. I don't want to say body language is not the right word, but the energy sometimes is just so lacking, and the focus is so lacking. And I do think part of it is like when you see a guy like code I Sanga go on the mound and that dude doesn't have any focus. How do you stay sharp in the game when you know the picture on the mound is not even giving you an opportunity to do anything. It's like it's a little like basic what I'm saying here, but like when you see shit on the field, it kind of causes you to also lose focus. And also the situation where.
Speaker 2: The Mets made more errors in this game, benchmin and Error Semi made a misplay that wasn't ruled to error like it just was another game with it is very uneven.
Speaker 1: Was this the throw down to first base two that went past and the throw to third base so that went past and that's.
Speaker 2: Where to run the double era out of play with Bryce Sharper and.
Speaker 1: The basis it's it's unbelievable.
Speaker 2: It's just it's just sloppy baseball. And again it's funny to I don't want to focus on this because the Mets won this series, which positive for the first you know, fifteen twenty minutes this episode, and when you came out on Sunday, the team played great, like especially fantastic, fueled by Nolan McLain, who came out ripping Francisco Lindora from his first place appearance, ripping because he's a good baseball player who hits the ball really well, and we will talk a lot more about that. He's played twenty thirty bad games this year. Oh no, can't believe that. But McClain, it's funny thing has happened to him this year, where as he's had some spurts of not trusting or having just inconsistent breaking balls, which is the thing that got him to the major League. He's got so much more confidence, so much better at blazing his fastball at the leathers, Yeah, which is something he didn't have. He probably had his whole life. But when he got to the upper miners and we got to the Major's last year, she's not a pitcher really relied us I pitched, used them as bats and watching him do that today when again the sweeper wasn't really there, the slider was kind of hit their mits, the curveball had some nice whifts, but you know, not every single time, same as last few starts, the fastball was there, and he has just he's so much ways to get guys out, Like I don't think.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: It's a lost season, so it sucks, but I don't It's a really, really impressive rookie season we're watching right out from Nolan McLain and one that should be really really appreciated by Mets fans.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I need the Mets fans to stop doing the flip flops so quickly, because I know even on this podcast, we talked about Noel McClain struggles this season at the point where he was struggling, but we did not ever switch the thought even on the type of player that we thought Noel McClain could be, even for the rest of the year, our biggest concern was hurt. Is he hurt because the stuff just doesn't really seem to make sense. But you saw people on tour, Oh, you thought this guy was gonna be a frontline starter. You thought he was gonna be your ace. You thought this and that. It's like, I mean, you look and all of a sudden, it's July nineteenth. He has a three three era as a rookie. It's gonna be he's gonna be fighting for that Rookie of Year with J. J. Weatherholt if he keeps it up on this bank. You keep saying that's crazy, but like he is ridiculously good. It might not have been the way that, you know, the simpletons that say these stupid comments had expected it. But also at the same time, that's why you're an idiot and you don't actually know baseball, Like you have to give these guys some patients. You're allowed to have bad weeks, You're allowed to have bad starts. He had what like five bad starts. If you have a thirty three start, that's a really, really good season.
Speaker 2: Of every pitcher with at least one hundred innings this season, Nolan mclaan is the twentieth lowest ERA. It's fantastic just right there, and the conversation, this is one of the few best pitchers in the league, which and he's still.
Speaker 1: A guy who's relatively new to pitching.
Speaker 2: And it's a guy that's still kind of learning started then to start out what he's doing in terms of striking minds walk right, he's the thirteenth best in terms of eight terms, Sierra, we're getting early on you guys right now.
Speaker 1: He is.
Speaker 2: I feel like he's probably pretty good. He's a fourteenth best. Like wow, he's It's a fantastic rookie season. It's one that it sucks that it's going so under the radar. I think another reason why it is because when the Mets were really flailing and totally falling apart of the seams, he was pitching poorly as well. But yes, by all accounts, in every single measure, no two ways about it, he's having an unbelievable season right now, one that in terms of rookie starting pitchers, could wind up in the pantheon rookie starting pitching seasons completely missed.
Speaker 1: What if I told you that he was doing this all in games that don't matter anymore because the Mets season's over. Does that change your opinion? What does that have to do with him? He can't hit, He actually can't hit. Maybe he should hit, but like, well, that's what I was told about Francisco Indoor today is that he got He got hits against a minor league pitcher. So I guess that's now what we're gonna start doing is we're gonna move the goldpost and talk look at quality of opponents only for him, not any other player in the league.
Speaker 2: All right, we're basically twenty minutes right now. I just I have one more comment then we'll go right to Francisco.
Speaker 1: And okay, okay, fine, fine, fine.
Speaker 2: I'll save it last comment. Like a month ago, we were doing the thing where we were just playing all of our guys and hitting him in the same spots against lefties. Right, Yes, very annoying Saturday that we called out a lefty lineup, a lefty lineup with a bunch of blatunes that have not really hit all season. I know, objectively, Eric Wagoman should be able to hit left handed pitching, and I was grateful that Mark Fiancees was not in that lineup against injured right now. So it's just that that's forever, whatever that may be. Franciscoal Indor, the lead of spot was terrible from the right side. Bobashett was terrible against left handed pitcher for Sis Squavers in the fourth spot. Like we said, just because his eyes got really big marks. Sambion makes my eyes bleed, but it just I would I'd liked for these young players to have a modicum of consent.
Speaker 1: Bench wasn't the line up.
Speaker 2: Again, he didn't hit well, But like at this point what happens game by game doesn't matter much winner loss, No, it's a getting it to given Lindora some repste off, fine, whatever, but just let these guys have a little bit more consistency in what they're doing day and day out with appletudes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just I don't think we need to really force the envelope for a lot of the guys on the Mets roster to get into games, especially where they're either not gonna be a part of the future plan or shouldn't be a part of the future plan. So like, unless you want to get way.
Speaker 2: I cam in some more reps to see if he is the future.
Speaker 1: But I can tell I got an answer for you, James, I've got a good one. I don't think he is as much as I know what we're both believing in, which is those crazy high barrel rates still to this day. But I just no club can make it work. So it's probably just not gonna work. And I want to see the young kids play as much as possible. Watching Marcus in me and play on Sunday was it looked like it hurt to play.
Speaker 2: It hurt me to watch him play, like both sides of the ball. I'm like, I don't know what you're doing. There were multiple strikeouts in the scoring position. It looked like he was behind on fastballs. Again tells us sign that he's old.
Speaker 1: Blown by from the Phillies bullpen. You know you had a ron Hell was his first name, Allen Alan Alan ron Hell, who is not particularly good? Tim Maza who you should hit? You're alrighty, Max Lazarre, Seth Johnson, Like these are the guys that you were struggling against. You didn't strike out against Iran, So like this, what's what's up? What's going on here. Also, why didn't he rehab?
Speaker 2: There was not at all two games right, that was a really serious injury. There was also a post I was up by Master Flip the Goat on on Twitter about how the Phillies post game guys who are electric, they are bizarro Mets like.
Speaker 1: Us and them.
Speaker 2: We're living in the same world on different sides of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's incredible to be in the Phillies situation and then see their reactions and be like, what would they do if they were Mets fans and they had to talk about the Mets every day.
Speaker 2: And a lot of very bad losing seasons executively easy to forget. But even after everything Nolan McClain de did to them last year, they were very reluctant to as Ater Flip said, give them give him his flowers after the game, which a.
Speaker 1: Really good three three. It's incredible, I know.
Speaker 2: But Price Harper at the World Baseball Classic keithrad mentioned I listened to part of this game on the radio that at that game he told Nolan McLain you're the best pitcher I saw last year.
Speaker 1: WHOA, Yes, that's a sick comment.
Speaker 2: Oh, unbelievable. Yeah, and remember that game pitched against them September that the best game still. Nolan McLain's ever pitched.
Speaker 1: Pounded my chest and the Mets were out of it.
Speaker 2: But no, that's we're so very much in it then. But those guys are basically saying the Phillies a swinging a bad pitch is they have to be more like aware of the breaking balls coming in. And he's he was completely unbelievably nasty. Again, We're gonna tell you, keep keep telling you, guys, this is Mets fans. A couple things we're gonna hold on to, giving Nolan McLain in the mound, Christian Scott Carson bench a j ewing Lindor So though.
Speaker 1: Shit, I guess, but that's just that.
Speaker 2: That's what we're Those are our guys right now, that's our core, and we're moving forward with them.
Speaker 6: This episode is brought to you by fan Duel Baseball Fans. The MLB season is in full swing and fan Duel is giving you a chance to call your shot with daily dingers. Joining the action is easy. Just make your free pick on who's hitting a home run in their game, and if you're right, you'll get a profit boost to use on your next bet for a chance at extra winnings. It's just another reason why FanDuel is the home of home runs. So are you ready to play your game? Head over to FanDuel dot com slash podcast to get started. That's FanDuel dot com slash Podcast. To opt in for daily dingers and make your free pick on who's hitting a homer, playball and swing for the fences on FanDuel, an official partner of Major League Baseball. No purchase necessary, opt in required. Bonus issued as non withdrawable profit boost tokens. Restrictions apply, including any token expiration and max wager amount. See terms at sportsbook dot FanDuel dot com. Gambling problem call or text one eight hundred gambler.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which I guess. Now we'll talk about that core conversation code God Forbid. A day goes by where fre ciscool indoor trade conversation doesn't exist, because it feels like every single day, every single hour, after every single game, he's getting asked questions about being traded. And I mean Will Salmon and Ken Rosenthal, those of the guys that are gonna trust the most, they have no inclination that is gonna be traded at the deadline. They didn't make any sort of comment about the off season. That still seems very much up in the air, which I think would still be stupid. But we're getting to like conflicting reports, and it just it feels like there's a witch hunt out and it kind of feels like Francisco Lindor feels like there's a witch hunt out too.
Speaker 2: And it kind of feels like, with Francisco Lindor having his no trade clause as we start to have a brother conversation here, if you wanted him to be more willing to waive that, you make this more of a witch hunt. You make this uncomfortable for him, because of course, the guy's been here for six years now, who's played some of the best baseball in the history of this franchise, who's an absolute bona fide Hall of Famer.
Speaker 1: I don't think mests fans want to hear that, and he is. Yeah, I know, nobody.
Speaker 2: Wanted five best shortstops. I think in the history of the sport. Out of doubt, he's for some reason, he wants to be run out of town. I understand if you want to look at this from a purely analytical standpoint, when you look at the rest of Francisco endorsed contract, sure, he will probably give negative value for the rest of the contract, probably.
Speaker 1: And negative value meaning that when he's thirty seven years old and he's getting paid thirty four million dollars, he is not going to play to the level of a thirty four million dollar contract. But this is also that like stupid conversation that we have now in sports two where it's like, well, then you'll never have any players because you have to pay these good players these big contracts, which again not a problem for me. I don't care. It's not my fucking money. It doesn't matter to me whatsoever. But like then Francisco Indoor never would have been here, so you never would have had the good years. His best years are behind him, but that doesn't mean that he is not still one of the best shortstops in baseball. And I think that is also very much getting lost in the conversation people here that he's never gonna be as good as he once was, and that means he's bad now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean last year was basically one of the best he's in his career, and like maybe after the calf, like of course, over the last few years we've seen Francisco Indoor's defense the taser rate at a regular amount for a guy in his early thirties, Like, there's not many we say this is one.
Speaker 1: Of the best defensive short stops. To now, he is a good defensive shortstop.
Speaker 2: He had one of the best five year stretches for a defensive player in the history of the sport. Yeah, and again that's not where he is right now.
Speaker 1: That's fair.
Speaker 2: We have to say that. So the agent curve for a guy who started that high usually is a little bit kinder. The agent curve is very, very It hurts, and it comes for every single person. But usually the guys who are this type of Inner Circle Hall of Famer it comes from a bit more slowly. Right now, you guys, look at for Cisco Indoor stats. He got his fifteenth RBI today. It looks bad when you look at the stats, but like he's played forty three games. He had and I was really proud of Kai Creator for matching this with Chelsea James after the game that Francisco Indoor had it with shoulder elbow surgery in the offseason and god spring training broke his handmade bone and right when he got to the season, Bold's calf muscle. He hasn't played consistent baseball, had consistent reps up until the end of last season, which was awful, and then the team traded his friends, which is a weird thing that I think a lot of people who are on the wrong side of this take that wrong side of this. However, you wanted this for some reason, they think that Francisclendor was behind trading the guys in this team.
Speaker 1: Not sure it all doesn't seem like that's true at all.
Speaker 2: I actually think probably the opposite is true. I'm sure he was actually upset about losing, especially a guy like Pio Alonso, who he's been with forever, who he very openly was really close with. Same with brand Nemo, who's been his guy since he was on the team. Neither here nor there mentioning those names, but just been tough seasons so far.
Speaker 1: Team suck.
Speaker 2: He's been hurt a lot for the last six months. It's really really unbecoming to see how sharply Mets fans have turned on a guy that is such an unbelievable player, so good in the community. Whatever you want to say about the locker room. That's probably the one thing you can actually get on him with the most. But it's honestly, it's kind of cringe what Mets fans are doing to him.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: No, it's embarrassing. It's worse. I mean, that's exactly why it is cringe, because you're now having Mets fans fighting with Mets fans. I'm fighting with people on Twitter because of course I have to defend my boy, and people are getting every day. Yeah, like I'm gonna fight for the dude. It was a year ago that people were like, borderline gonna revolt against the team because he wasn't named captain. After twenty twenty four, people were talking about retiring his number, and then those same people are now the ones who are like, ship him out. He's getting old, he's not playing well. I can't even believe that people have seen less than a COVID season sample this year and think that that's the player he is literally going to be the rest of the year. I don't know how that's even possible.
Speaker 2: No, I honestly have no idea.
Speaker 1: Is like, where's it coming from? Like how how have we gotten to this point? Because I really did think that the greater, like, we'll just talk about baseball fans as a whole. I did think we are getting smarter as a whole, like the group of baseball fans. But then, for all, for some reason, Francisco Lindor has broken certain Mets fans brains. And you look around and you try and find what the pieces are, and really none of it particularly adds up. No, it's not, it's weird.
Speaker 2: And then people bring up comments like again him and his wife got rid of the players in the locker room. Not true, why would they have that power? Obviously you have psychosas or some other deeper mental issue. Not true. Then people bring up again the thumbs down that was five years ago, and he apologized that was twenty twenty one. What were you guys doing in twenty twenty one that should be held against you right now, like, truthfully and honestly right now, and a lot the question is right now about just Francisco Indoor, purely objectively, what the next few years of Francisco Indoor look like. And for the next five years after this one, he's due thirty two million dollars a year, thirty two and a half, So it comes out to one hundred and seventy million dollars one hundred and sixty hundred seventy I think it's like one hundred and sixty one hundred sixty hundred and sixty three whatever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, four or five years.
Speaker 2: Thirty two million, thirty two point four to.
Speaker 1: Seven yea, Yeah, that's gonna come out to like one sixty two Yeah.
Speaker 2: So yeah, at the end of that, probably he's underwater in this contract in terms of what he's going to produce wins above replace.
Speaker 1: Probably.
Speaker 2: I think he probably has if he's a complete perfect health, which we don't know because calf injuries are fickled.
Speaker 1: They're weird.
Speaker 2: A four or five win season, then another four win season, like going down to half win a year, a five, a four and a half, a four, a three, you know, a three and a half to three, a two and a half.
Speaker 1: Like he's still gonna give us around like fifteen fifteen war in the next five years, most likely. It seems she pretty easy, pretty easy. It's pretty good.
Speaker 2: It's a good contract. It's a contract that you're really not upset paying on the back half when a guy's been so productive over the first half. And that's the best part about when we traded for Cisco Lindor and we signed Francisco Lindor. It feels like there's this combination of will Pond psychosis where Mets fancy a big contract of a player is not one of the best players in the league anymore, which is fine, and you feel like you have to trade them, but also it's the idea of the Mets didn't pay Pete, they dumped Nemo, so now you have to do the same to Lindor when he's Those two guys aren't even in the same.
Speaker 1: Stratosphere as him. If we as a baseball player, if we as a fan base can't differentiate the difference between Pete, Alonzo Brandonimo, I'll group them together as a player, those that archetype of player, or those archet types of players, and what Francisco Lindor is will be was all that kind of stuff. I think we've completely lost the point. It doesn't. It's like it's actually like comparing apples and oranges. They're not the same. They do very very different things.
Speaker 2: And if you had to pick one of those guys that was most similar to Lindor, especially that Nemo hasn't played center field multiple Years's probably pe Alonzo because.
Speaker 1: Which is crazy bad.
Speaker 2: Sure, and let's say at the end of this season, Francisco Lindor's contract was up and he was demanding a five year, one hundred and seventy million dollar contract, different conversation. You probably don't ink that at the moment.
Speaker 1: You probably don't ink that, and you probably see I'll be honest, you probably see close to that five for one fifty like Peede Alonso just got five for one to fifty five. And everyone in baseball knew or knows that Francisco Lindor is going to be a more valuable player over the next five years than Pete Alonzo given health and nothing.
Speaker 2: Against pi Alonzo, friend baseball. No, it's only one team was even close to offering that level of a contract.
Speaker 1: Like it's it's just crazy that we have to have these conversations, and I have a feeling we're going to have them until the trade dead and then probably even after the trade deadline, because Sason, because every fucking piece of content now is just about Francisco indoor trades except for the big names that I actually care about.
Speaker 2: Truthfully, I mean, what's your actual take on that? Why do you think this has become so pervasive in national media and within some of the small Mets media members.
Speaker 1: Okay, so that's wrong.
Speaker 2: Word some of the less nationally connected Mets media members.
Speaker 1: I think there's like it's a three things have happened. One, Steve Cohen opening his mouth and saying the ship he did on the John Hayman and Joel Sherman podcast stirred all this shit back up again. The fact that he publicly acknowledged that Lindor and Soto might have had an issue last season with each other at the start of the year. That was really, really, really fucking stupid. That was like an all time Mets pr so tight. How did that happen? How does that? How does that happen? How do you not see the video and tell them to edit it out? Whatever it is. Second, I'll save my crazy theory for the end. Second, we're in the same relative, same world as all these people. Their jobs are relying on getting clicks. People clicking their articles, people clicking their videos, people clicking their tweets. Does generate revenue. The more eyes that get on something, the better it is. And there is nothing hotter right now, especially in what is a dead trade deadline than talking about one of the best shortstops in Major League Baseball history or at the absolute worst in last twenty years that didn't take steroids, being on the move from a big market team that everybody loves to absolutely dumb on. So it's a perfect storm that Steve Cohen said this. You can now have the Francisco indoor trade rumors, bring up all the other bullshit, lie to the people that you're talking about, sometimes even about what the deterioration of Francisco Lindor could look like. And then three, a lot of this is being propagated by S and Y. S and Y is pushing this shit like crazy. Couple different things with them. One, S and Y knows that their numbers are going to plummet very very soon once the trade deadline happens and the Mets are officially giving up on the season. When you see the good players no longer exist on the team that we're once here. They will still yeah, but the viewership is going to plummet. They've got a cash in big time right now. This is their moment. You I'm watching Sports Night at S and Y at night because I want to, unfortunately see what people say get angry and then yell at my TV like a crazy person. But it's working. That's what's getting me in there, so people are watching. It's getting clicks to generating revenue. Two. Can I throw out a really fucking insane theory?
Speaker 2: One hundred percent?
Speaker 1: All right, crazy galaxy brain, I'm obsessed the will Ponds still own s and Y. Wouldn't they love to just fuck with the Mets right now and just be like, you know what, fuck it? Why not let's put out some information that is just going to drive people insane. We don't have this team anymore. Why not they can? They own s and Y. I would hope there's journalistic integrity to not do that, But at the same time, why not that's a theory If they're gonna make the same ridiculous claims, I will too.
Speaker 2: No, that's kind of feels like where it is, because it feels like every single day there's ridiculous lanes being thrown left and right about Francisco Indoor in the New York Mets.
Speaker 1: And then especially on Twitter, if you're an account that's like any sort of generic chatchy BT name that you got where you're like, give me a baseball Twitter account name. You'll see like a fast pitch down the middle or at whatever it is, Francisco Indoor doesn't actually want to stay in your who's telling you this is made up? The funny thing is that's definitely the opposite. What like that.
Speaker 2: Francisco Indoor, with a full not trade clause in his contract, definitely wants to stay in New York the duration of his contract and probably sign another small one after that.
Speaker 1: Notice how it's been glazed over. How I don't remember who broke the news on this one that someone close to Francisco Indoor says he wants to stay in Queens. He's going to stay in Queens.
Speaker 2: He wants to win at the solution winning not being talked about though.
Speaker 1: You can't talk about that.
Speaker 2: I mean after the game, Franciscal Indoor had a nice long interview with Chelsea James from SNY and he talked about the fact that he's at least not bothered by some of these because he knows they're all coming from outside sources. Yes, and he was saying if it was from inside, that would bother me. That is the part that is sticking with me a little bit, because again, if you were trying if you truthfully, and I don't think this is true. I'm saying purely in the world if you were trying, if you were trying to make a player possibly waive a no trade clause, which you would do is alienate them, make them feel uncomfortable, and make them feel like shit, And that would be what would happen with this media firestorm is going on and again in a purely theoretical world, like we said before, the rest of reciscal, Francisco Indoor contract is definitely a bit underwater, like you're probably not getting surplus value for the next five years from Francisco Indoor at thirty two million dollars a year.
Speaker 1: And also, I think it's worth noting too the reason you're not getting that surplus values because the value is so high. It doesn't mean that he won't be a valuable player. It just means that's not going to align with the money that thirty five million dollars worth. He's going to pay play like a twenty million dollar player as he gets older, rather than thirty five million dollars.
Speaker 2: And theoretically, in terms of shortstops in baseball, you'd want him to be like a five to six win player, which he has been consistently so far over length that contract to make that contract worthwhile. Again, neither here nor there, but maybe there probably was some kind of signal to the league, which again a big part of why the start up was the other day when it was like the same Chelsea James article where he was not listed as an untouchable, Yes, with a clearly underwater contract, as a guy who's aging out of the shortstop position. If somebody wants to, just similar to Rafael Devers last year, take the entire contract. Davis turns the mess. Front office probably listened to the conversation. Yes, that's definitely part of this. But as we got again more updates the last few days, Ken Rosenthal, well Samon Chelsea James, Bob Nightingale, that's are not going to pay down for the Mets, are not paying Franciscal indoors to.
Speaker 1: Play against them.
Speaker 2: No, it was probably a thing where there were hairs of trade conversations, teeny tiny little crumbs around the league.
Speaker 1: Yeah, take this whole deal. No, okay, no worries we keep paying it.
Speaker 2: Then that's the conversations probably ended right there, and it's it's the uh, it's the.
Speaker 1: Fun conversation we used to have where it was like so and so it was interested. I'm like, yeah, breaking news. I'm interested too. I would love to have him on the team. Can I say we're the Mets. What's Rihanna doing tomorrow?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm interested one hundred percent of course not, but like that's kind of weird. Probably this was it was probably very small conversations in the league that everyone knows in the league.
Speaker 1: Happened all the time. No big deal, you have them, they move on.
Speaker 2: The one time it was except it was raffaeld Evers, which which.
Speaker 1: Work out for anybody. It turned out to be a catastrophe, worked up for the Dodgers.
Speaker 2: I mean, rest socks around fire still, but it's just become this weird media firestick, and it's frustrating from Mets fans perspective that people want to run a guy out of town who's been nothing but great to the organization. Great on the field. Again, the one thing you want to knacker out Francisco Lindoor if you can, is definitely locker room stuff. He's been a star player who's been here for five complete seasons, and the clubhouse always seemed kind of weird, Yes, for sure, with everyone to say that's the truth right there, Some.
Speaker 1: People aren't leaders that way, and he's still a great baseball player.
Speaker 2: It's just really weird the way people want to run a guy out of the town who has been this good.
Speaker 1: It really doesn't feel right in my stomach. No's it feels like there's like it will behind this stuff. It's very bizarre. And then hearing him talk about like his family and stuff too, and how like they are affected by this news he is. Notice, it's like, yeah, I mean, we're in a world, unfortunately, where no one gives a shit because once you're online you can say stuff behind a fake user name and a fake picture. No one can know who you are. And I can guarantee you that his wife is getting just the most vile messages ever.
Speaker 2: And all of you guys who are gonna comment negatively on this, you're also gonna be commenting from a fake user name of the fake picture saying all these horrible things that are completely unsubstantiated about Francisco indor about politics or about personality, and none of them are true.
Speaker 1: No, as a baseball player, that's where we look at him, and he's a damn good one. Has he played at the same level this year? No, it's been forty games. Check what happens at the end of the year. If he has a six twenty ops, then we'll have a different conversation. But I'm not going to count out Francisco Indoor from a less than COVID season sample size. Luke Voyd hit the most home runs in Major League Baseball. It doesn't fucking matter.
Speaker 2: Tom Smith, I think he might have got MVP votes.
Speaker 1: Tom Smith definitely got MVP vote. Tom Smith played so well at the Mets thought that he could be their outfielder the next season.
Speaker 2: I was in screw chests being like, you know, if you want to trade Pete right now, get max value.
Speaker 1: You got Tom Smith forever. Crazy. Take that back, But.
Speaker 2: That's just again, small baseball sample sizes don't matter. Especially. Yeah, Tom Smith got MVP vos thirteenth in the MVP voting in twenty twenty on a fifty game sample.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's really Doris only played forty three so far. If Shae Lewis won the Rookie the year, he was out of baseball two years later.
Speaker 2: It's just disgusting the way some Mets fans right now are talking about Francisco Lindors doesn't get said it's spoiled.
Speaker 1: It's like it's not a place that I thought, actually Mets fans would get.
Speaker 2: But again, you could also, like you could be completely fourth right understanding about where Francisclendor is in his career. He's a superstar on the back nine. Yes, I don't know how many more years he's going to be a plus value shortstop. I truthfully don't that's fair. If if next year the Mets bring up moving to second and he's really ornery about it, maybe this conversation should become more of a conversation. But we're not there. It's not happening right now, and the Mets don't even have something that looks like a shortstop within two levels in the organization.
Speaker 1: That was my favorite thing, shout Joliov, who was just replying to everybody on Twitter when they're saying to replace me, He's like, with who name one guy? They're like, find a stop gap. He's like, name them, say the name and the name that people were listening. You saw Hasung Kim, you saw Mauricio Dubon, you saw Jorge Matteo, you Sawhi Sung Kim as well. Throw him in there, Luiski, your may was thrown around, thrown around, Jose Glaciers was thrown around.
Speaker 2: Fuck why not sack short See see if he can get out there one hundred percent, he got cup.
Speaker 1: We can bring it right back, right back? Why not? Finding shortstops is easy? Don't you remember the rich history of shortstops in the Mets history? James, like you do?
Speaker 2: You guys really want to trade all of our prospect capital and get Mason win with a six fifty oh ps.
Speaker 1: You could, because I promise you you will dislike Mason Win way more than you ever dislike Francisco Indoor for a second.
Speaker 2: I mean maybe for a reason, possibly it was a relative similarity, but.
Speaker 1: Well that same reason like dislike both.
Speaker 2: So you again, you're training for Cisco indor getting off the salary for nothing, just to get off salary because we apparently we don't have enough money. You're trading some of your best prospects from a Mason Winn who's entering arbitration, who's going to be at best a league average bat.
Speaker 1: We can't be the fraand base that bragged about giving one sort of the most money in sports history, and then say, Francisco endor it's a little too much money, a little too rich for our for our liking.
Speaker 2: The second Francisco Indoors signed that contract years ago one, I was so grateful that this good of a player was going to be on the Mets, chose to be on the Mets. If you guys don't remember, there was a really long road between David Right and Versisco Indoor of like genuine superstar major league players who were on this team. And then past that, I was like, you know what the last four years of that deal when he was so good for the first four Yeah, an eight year contract, but who actually was.
Speaker 1: It was ten for no? It was ten for three forty one, wasn't it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, ten for three forty one.
Speaker 1: Because Tatis was ten for three forty you had to get one.
Speaker 2: That's kind of the biggest bullshit that Tatis fucked this whole thing for us, fucking A J Preller and the Sidlers. But I was like, he's gonna be such a funky second basement for the last few years. That's going that's fun to watch a leged age out with our team.
Speaker 1: I think in one of our first episodes after signed that contract extension. That is the little conversation that we had was you bringing up how, for instance, you can't wait to watch Francisco Indoor be a plus second basement, And I think I.
Speaker 2: Said at the time, I was like, the contract ends at thirty seven. All these other mega contracts are ending it forthy, I was like, he's not going to be underwater at thirty seven.
Speaker 1: There's no job.
Speaker 2: He's still going to be an above average either in above average second basement.
Speaker 1: Defensively, we're treat him like he's Dansby Swanson.
Speaker 2: It's fucking bullshit. The white Mets fans are treating him right now. It makes me really mad at the day to day basis how people are acting and talking about Francisco Indoor. It's fucking ungrateful bullshit.
Speaker 1: No, it's frustrating. It's it's a group of fans that, honestly like, it's just I can't believe that we've gotten there as the New York Mets for a team that shouldn't be Uh what is was the right word enticing that kind of fans. We don't win, So why are you here if you're gonna be a spoiled.
Speaker 2: Brat can I talk about another thing that I really don't wish we were talking about, which wasn't it didn't exist?
Speaker 1: Oh please do what is that?
Speaker 2: I feel like the Mets got dingd for some AI usage.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, interesting, the Met's pitched well this weekend into that.
Speaker 2: But yea, so those report that came through a good reporting but you know, say and the Athletic that a couple of Major League Baseball teams were not out costs not the right word, but just called out for using generative AI models for pitch calling.
Speaker 1: Can't get caught if it's not illegal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then Major League Baseball said that kind of granular for a second, But we've had tablets in the dug guts for a long time now, yes, probably a decade honestly. But there's always a certain amount of tabs that every single team has, and it's a lot of the same public facing stack has information that we all have in watch games at home. If you want to be granular and dig deep like that pitch movement velocity, you know, sometimes even like swing path like good video cops bats, Yeah, yes, you could see exactly how you swung your mechanics. All the stuff aside view which is beautiful. There was always a custom tab on these tablets, which was kind of teams to free wheel with whatever information they felt necessarily deemed important to them. They could put in that custom tab, and it came out that certain teams had built and purchased had people outside people build generative AI models to predict pitch or which pitches their pitchers should throw and shout out them on the Vino yeah for calling out the fact that the Mets were at the forefront of this. The Mets were a team that really a generative AI model to call pitches for them. And it's kind of funny because we had these tiny stories going through the beginning of the season that the Mets were a team that we're going to call.
Speaker 1: Pitchers from the doughouse.
Speaker 2: Yes, but it didn't really go past that the Marlins were doing it openly, proudly, and I'm sure that yeah, and it didn't those stories never came about the Mets. Like we said before, people loved talking about the Mets. Mets go into every single National store whenever they can, so it's weird that those stories never progressed. And then we got this from out of Vino on his YouTube channel this weekend.
Speaker 7: Did you see the story and m willb banning the custom tab on the n dugout iPad any thoughts, Yes, I knew about this for a while.
Speaker 2: The Mets were actually the team, the main team.
Speaker 1: That got cracked down on.
Speaker 7: They had an AI program that was very expensive apparently, and they were bragging about it a little bit early on in this in the year. Some of the coaches that I know were talking about it from around the league and they basically an AI program helping them pick pitches and I think some other stuff. But MLB got wind of it and nipped that right in the butt. So apparently they weren't the only team. But I knew about it from the Mets angle, which you know, they try to throw some money out the situation. Steve ponied up for I think this program, from what I heard, was several hundred thousand dollars to have.
Speaker 2: But when none of the big report there's none of the big outlets played out there and it went mega violand to wear their shadow lazy Mary on there. Good to other account Mets fan.
Speaker 1: But that was that was bad. That was that was something that went out. It was like, oh jeez, what's going on here? That gave me what I first saw and it went hey yao, was like that was not something that I had hoped to have ever read or seen. Like as good as AI has been for things in the world right now, bad, whatever your take is, we don't need to have that conversation. But like, the way that AI is now being used in our world is more than ever. I do think one of the things that maybe it shouldn't have been used for is calling pitches from the dugout is because when you think about how many times this year me and you were like, weird pitch call, Like why did they go with that? And I do think that like, yes, if a guy struggles with fastballs, hopefully that would be able to pick up always throw up and into this guy, right, But we also know how shitty sometimes AI can be and how wrong it can be and definitely not the most accurate or most perfect even though there's tons and tons of data and stuff like that at its disposal. It's pitching is so so so feel oriented. You should feel smart, you should do smart things. But in terms of sequencing and stuff like that, a lot of time I do think you have to go with the vibe. It's one of the few times where I'm gonna go old school and say the computers for telling you what pitch to throw and what count and where I think that's a little too far.
Speaker 2: I think so too. And I think a big part about baseball is the feel and the game. I'm just saying the pitcher on the mound versus the strengths of the bat. I think it's one of the best things about baseball is that's determining whether as a pitcher you're going to use your strengths, you're gonna attack about his weakness mouse to beauty this entire game. Great tweet from gap re paya g paana underscore and yhy chat gubt which pitch I throw your on Alvarez Chatchy between honestly forcing fastball down in the middle should do the trick and dash. It's often the last location discipline power hitter expects in a big spot. Attacking zone can work to a picture's advantage. And it's a video of yourn Alveras hitting a five hundred foot home run.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and of course they're not using chat Gypt Apparently one hundreds of thousands of dollars of generative AI model apparently a model.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we paid one hundred thousand dollars, hundreds of thousand dollars, so.
Speaker 1: That person surely got fired hopefully. That's that's a really bad if you if you perpetuated that, that's tough.
Speaker 2: Do you want to do it for like a few minutes right now? Just go into the fantasy ether and talk about this.
Speaker 1: Yes, let's talk about it.
Speaker 2: Do you think, like, do you think possibly from the finance hedge fund background, this with Steve com being like, we have to find ways to add AI into this. Do you think this was David Stearns being trying to be in the cunning edge? Do you think over this year specifically it was Justin Willard as a new Kire doing this, Like, how do you think this actually came to be? Because it's embarrassing.
Speaker 1: I like to think that David Searns has as little impact on in game decisions as physically possible. Yeah, if there was ever a world where I could see his hands getting in on in game decisions, I see this more than I did with the lineup. I think he would have perpetuated this, maybe more than he would have like, we need to get Andy Abanya's at bats. At worst, he would have had to have approved it. Yes, there is no doubt that David Stearns was very aware of what was going on and whether it was his idea or not. There wasn't approval in place, and that is like, that's a stamp of approval that means you're okay with it, you agree with the theory behind it. I do think that probably Justin Willard is someone who was super forward thinking on this as the young kind of trying to break into the game before getting to the Mets pitching guy, and one of the things that he talked about a lot was like being nasty in the zone, using pitches and attacking batters in ways that was a little bit different than we've heard a lot of pitching coaches talk about pitching recently. It was interesting that being said, I don't think and it's I think it's been proven too. I don't think the Mets are alone in this. I'd actually I actually think it's probably not Steve Cohen. I think that you can get him with the buzzwords to pay for that. Hey, Steve, we're gonna use a couple hundred thousand dollars to do his new generative AI thing, and because he's a finance brofit hedge fund guy goes, oh, yeah, AI great, we're using that all the time. It's gotta be good.
Speaker 2: Too many how many stupid CEOs are doing the same thing and hurting their own companies with less capital behind them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there are a lot of people. I mean, we get emails about this on our own personal thing in our email like all the time from people clearly using AI. It's like it's it's an empademic a little bit how much it's being used. But that's problem. At the same time, the Mets obviously used it, that's that's clear. But I bet you the Tampa bay Rays are using I bet you the Miami Marlins are using I bet you the Dodgers are using it, the Milwaukee Brewers. I've got a really good feeling that all the teams that you would expect are also using It's just that the Mets, which would also make sense, probably didn't use it in the best way.
Speaker 2: In the common from Alaveno, they were bragging the people about how good their model was.
Speaker 1: I also, yeah, that's interesting. I also do think that I'm getting a little bit of scorn from Adam out of you know, about how his tenure ended a little bit just a little bit, a little bit scorn yeah, you know, but it does feel like there's there is an agenda.
Speaker 2: No, definitely, it's just it also just plays with how Mets this season has been to add this little cherry on top when this news came out, just peak behind the curtain for you guys. On Friday, Mark and I were talking about thumb nailing headline this episode with this, so much other bullshit happened with the door that we're like, ah, whatever, we're gonna we're gonna squeeze it into the end. But like my question again is where were it the beat about this?
Speaker 1: Well, each you understand, the beat is not about reporting anymore or doing any journalistic finding. It's about creating rumors, gossip. It's it's tabloids. Now. The beat is not shout out Will Salmon because he's not like that, shout out the legit beat writers. But a lot of people now because it is more competitive than ever, they're fighting for clicks, they're fighting for this and that would have taken a lot of research and doing a lot of work on the side and probably taking it home when you could just like I think the metsagre and trade Francisco indoor. Someone in the organization told me it was the security guard, but someone in the organization.
Speaker 2: Told me it even took the Associated Press to report on this and talked to Andy Green about it, and we still didn't get so much firm stuff from the Beat, which is crazy if this thing was happening, which again plays into the idea that we had that a lot of the team's doing this section not that big of a deal. It's just good for clicks right now. And again, it's a scoring to Adam Alavino being out with a bat, but this is just it's just another thing on top of this whole thing. And weird that the story about the Mets calling pictures from the dugout wasn't more so through spring training.
Speaker 1: Early in this season, we get to ask more questions, James, you just make up a trade rumor.
Speaker 2: The context of this organization is so it has to be so fascinating.
Speaker 1: It's it's got to be exhausting. David Surns has got to feel like not only shit because his job has not been he hasn't done a great job, but he's got to be like, holy fuck, I would I sign myself up for It's just.
Speaker 2: I mean, I get high for running a baseball team, which is a great job.
Speaker 1: Moon Soto feels.
Speaker 2: I think WANs goes out there every single day and has great at bats.
Speaker 1: He really does. He's so good, dude. On Sunday him version, I want to ran.
Speaker 2: I'm watching it on my phone while watching the World Cup five cinema. This is great baseball right here, Like watching him buzz fastballs, like watching the layoff some tough breaking balls outside his own, Like this is what it's all about. And for sadly, it's not what's all about with this Mets team.
Speaker 1: Won Soda. Not a top fifty player though in Major League Baseball right now?
Speaker 2: Who would have ever said that?
Speaker 1: Wait, you didn't see this, no, oh. CBS Sports dropped in an article ranking the top fifty players in baseball right now, Wansda was forty ninth, So stupid he was behind a bunch of dhs. They cited the fact that he doesn't play particularly great in the field and he's just a bat.
Speaker 2: I would say right now, he's probably closer to first than.
Speaker 1: He is forty ninth.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, saying I think by a lot. I think there's an argument that he's still the best player in baseball at this moment because the Varon Judge is being injured. Ohio Tian not pitching.
Speaker 1: That PCA MVP calls looking pretty good right now.
Speaker 2: See it looks nice right at PC looks good.
Speaker 1: I'm excited for the rest of the season.
Speaker 2: Besides the mest dude.
Speaker 1: Friday night.
Speaker 2: Every Friday, I have my recap shift for NBC where I get assigned four games. I recap all of them.
Speaker 1: What a blessing to not have the Mets. It's so nice, and I was now Mets.
Speaker 2: On Friday, I was ripping Marlin's Brewers talk about game, A game so good, Garrett Mitchell, multiple amazing catches ninth and tenth in and then ripping the winning single with two strikes. I was like, this is why the games to be played, not just the horrible pig me team in Quenten.
Speaker 1: Such such good baseball. I sent you so many things. Also, I'm realizing over the last few days some media marvels that we didn't get a chance to talk about a lot of stuff coming out of from fanatics Fest, hex Fest, that place that that that feels like Hell of Earth. Truthfully, if you guys pay two hundred dollars to go finic Fest, if you think you got what you want out.
Speaker 2: Of it, great, I will not ship on the hobby. It's a good hobby, I think. But there's so much weird stuff that it's a fanavics fest.
Speaker 1: Derek Jeter chirping Mets fans about Pete Alonzo is super super interesting. Shout out, I think master Flip retweeted a video from January twenty first, where Steve Gelbs was saying that the Mets are true World Series contenders with the true race of Freddy Peralta, very different than his tone was after Carlos Mendoza got fired. It's crazy how two faced everybody is. And then I mean, just like the back and forth stuff. Oh, this has nothing to do with the Mets. I forgot about this one. The Lebron James comment about the MLP salary cap. It's one of the craziest I've ever seen in my life on Twitter.
Speaker 2: I do think like it's one of my favorite sinks ever. Like I just learned about recency bias is my favorite thing in the world.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like for nice.
Speaker 2: For thirty years, basically between the Yankees and the Dodgers, baseball was absolutely the most pair of the of any sport in the league. Yeah, like that, though we didn't have a repeat champion in twenty twenty five years.
Speaker 1: Well, what you don't know, James, is the NBA hasn't had one in eight years. But definitely don't look at the teams that made the finals.
Speaker 2: It also definitely don't look what happened in ten years before that. And again, the NBA changed their entire system. And something that a lot of people who really are rallying for the salary cap right now is that the teams that develop their own players can keep their homegrown players. So don't look what happened in the offseason in the NBA when Jalen Brown got traded because Brad Steven said, yeah, we just can't afford both the guys were drafted.
Speaker 1: Jana to Kumbo with the organization that even gave him a chance, was like, I want to get the fuck out of here.
Speaker 2: If there's the league right now, if I was Rob Manford and I didn't want to become it would definitely be the NBA.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they got absolutely bailed out by the fact that Wemby, who's a super super superstar, got to go up against the most popular team arguably in the world in the New York Knicks and basketball. It's great self yeah, and embarrass himself.
Speaker 5: It was.
Speaker 1: It was great TV.
Speaker 2: No, but it's just well, well we got we're gonna have a lot of time. If she wanted to talk about time, talk about labor negotiations.
Speaker 1: And it's guys like Francisco Indoor who are ruining the game because they're getting paid too much money and they're gonna turn old.
Speaker 2: God, so fucking stupid. It's so far it makes me so fucking all right, quickly playing the Brewers preview, The Brewers series is coming week series. Oh nice, really really fun. We almost had the matchup everybody was waiting for. It's still might depending on how the match Jack and Mizerowski, No, Freddy Pelter Brandon is sprote Oh God. As of right now, the way it has been rescheduled out is that Mislerowski is going to pitch after his bat with fatigue for the Brewers on Monday seven for the Bit of an a Saft Freddy Peraltavus Jacob Mizerowski Tuesday seven for they him versus her Zach Thorton for Brandon Sprote and Wednesday matinee Christian Scott and Logan Henderson. But Logan Henderson also had a forearm cramp, so we'll still see about him on Wednesday as well.
Speaker 1: He's got a very fragile body, Logan Henderson.
Speaker 2: I really wish it wasn't so, because he's such a fun pitcher of the watch and off how hurt.
Speaker 1: He gets, it's like he's he's got a fragile body. That being said, do you see the rumors about Freddy Pulta The Brewers really might want him back. I got a great idea for trade back Brandon Sprote. Brandon, just Brandon, bro you can still keep Jet, keep Jet.
Speaker 2: Well, we're fine if you want arbitralgy off us. But like it's again, you know what, that's all's us.
Speaker 1: There's a market, There is a market, and that's really good for the Mets.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: This Brewers team is an absolute, complete fucking wagon.
Speaker 1: This is the best version of them that they've had.
Speaker 2: They swept the Marlins this weekend, My Miami Marlins. They really sunned them, and all three games was bullpen bullshit for the Marlins. The Martins had losses from believers in all three of the games, the Sunday which was the worst of all. Pete Fairbanks blowing another day. We're talking talking about the Mars, I should be talking about the Brewers. This Brewis team is completely relentless, like they had relievers, starters, position players, guys at the bottom and lineup. Joey Ortiz, You want to talk about a guy that would have like ended his baseball career if he was in New York, Joey your team, he'd.
Speaker 1: Be Anthony Bolby.
Speaker 2: He came up from about in the minor leagues and he's now playing third base. He got relegated off of shortstop for Cooper Pratt. Now he's playing thirty. He made a little swing change to.
Speaker 1: Get some more power.
Speaker 2: He's still is baciscently one of the worst hit theres in baseball in two years. By last two years, by far, Bruce fans chances name. When he comes to the play, Brewers are gonna play him every single day. He's gonna be one of the most played players in baseball.
Speaker 1: Over the last two years.
Speaker 2: The Brewers were dying for a depth infielder and they've been rotating between all these guys year and Joe Williams still hasn't gotten a shot at the major leagues. But the team is just absolutely unstoppable. It felt like they kind of hit this jet stream after that sweep with the Mets last year. Yes, when the Mets made tons of defensive miss cues and all the nonsense they did in that series last year in Milwaukee.
Speaker 1: Yeah. No, the Brewers are just so ridiculously good. Keep an eye for Luis Laara. He's their new prospect that's came up. They paid him already, so he's gonna be there for a while. He is one of the best pure athletes in the entire sport. He runs like absolute fucking lightning. He's fast, he's a great defender.
Speaker 2: He made a bad playing in the outfield one of his first few games, but he's still a tremendous defender. And the Brewers do this thing where they have three center fielders playing in the outfield. He's one of them.
Speaker 1: They just have guys, guys, guys, guys, guys. That never ends. It is impressive to see how well of a how well built of an organization they have, and they they imagine if they spent another forty fifty million dollars, they would be legit World Series contenders, and I think they are legit World Series contenders right now. I think they're gonna give the Dodgers a good run for their money, and especially if they get Freddy.
Speaker 2: Peralta, especially to get Freddy Berlta, especially if Misserreski's a hundred percentality, especially if if what's his name Kyle Harrison comes back from injury. Just a few guys want to shout out one of our favorites, Garrett Mitchell. Oh yeah, For the last thirty days, he has been one of the best citys in baseball with the nine hundred ohps and playing tremendous defense in center field. We talked about Cooper Pratt. He hasn't really gotten it together yet at big league level, but he's a complete fucking pest in the box. He can't strike him out. Jackson Turios taking a step forward offensively, Jake Bowers. The Brewers nurse Jake Bowers long for three years, and now all of a sudden, Jake Bowers isn't the leite hither. I can't believe that should happen. Like Chad Patrick has gotten relegated from being a starter into a swingman role. He just shows up for forty pitchers. He throws non stop fastballs and he blights people up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, he's the fastball's electric guy of the Bends. Real it's come annoying to watch how good they are. No, they jealous of them except for their money. Except for their money?
Speaker 2: Got anything else fun about the Brewers?
Speaker 1: What else could have fun about the Brewers? I love Abner Yuibe. It's one of my favorite players to watch pitch in the entire league. He is going to shoot a fake gun at the New York Mets when he strikes them out. And just be prepared Mets fans, because he is going to absolutely embarrass us when he's on the mound.
Speaker 2: And the Brewers have a very underwater contract right now. Christianelich, he can't play the field, he's got a bad back, can't really hit right now.
Speaker 1: No, but uh, I said no rumors of trading him? Huh?
Speaker 2: I mean, I guess I'm only someone was gonna take the contract day? Would that if we offered franciscoundor for Christian Elich? They take that in a heartbeat?
Speaker 1: Do you think he voted for though that's really important. Christian Elich proba kamala.
Speaker 2: Maybe I guess, but Frankie Pepper sends his home. Yeah, Frankie Peppers is in his own Here comes Franky.
Speaker 3: This is Frankie Peppers.
Speaker 1: It's been a minute.
Speaker 3: I hope you had a nice, nice old star break. We didn't have to watch this baseball team. But I think they also did not mind having to watch that baseball team because these Mets played pretty good. This series. Can't complain. Mister Nolan McLean looked wonderful, beautiful game for j a ewing the day on Sunday, really good. I'm sick, so it was a nice game to feel a little bit better. So what I, uh, my hot take is that you shouldn't get sick because it sucks. Uh tell me, tell me about your favorite time you got sick, like when you stayed home from school? What's the price is? Right? All right? Geentle them, I hope you're doing well. We'll talk to you soon. Let's go, Mets.
Speaker 1: I I actually do have a favorite time.
Speaker 2: I do as well home from school. I had such a bad flu. I want to say it was my sophomore year of high school. I got sick from It was a freshman or sophomore. I got really sick from the Patriots pick kicking the shit out of the Jets on Monday. It's like fifty to nothing, it was. I went to school the next day. I was like, something is wrong and I developed like a hundred whatever fever. I went Wednesday, Thursday, Friday out of school. Both my parents were at work. When I was always playing video games, I was I was relegated to the downstairs TV. I said relegated like nine times this podcast for the word that's like twelve so the where as I say every time every podcast, I was like, fuck it brought. I brought the PlayStation day and I played two K my player. I built a career in three days in front of that television on the big TV, and it was it was a treat.
Speaker 1: That's a good one. I remember. I think I was like maybe ten eleven twelve. My PS two broke on my birthday and I was sick home from school and being at school. When you're in elementary school on your birthday, you're the king of the world. That's like the best day on the entire planet. And I remember being sick and then my dad just like going out and being like, for your birthday, I got you a new PlayStation two, and I was like, I can be home all day and play my new PlayStation two. And it went from the big fat one to the real thin, slim one. I was like, this is this is an all time day. I'll never forget it. I was just some funny tweets I want to read. I just we're an hour in, go in till your camera dies. I we're good at the windows open. It is a beatiful night.
Speaker 2: Actually, that's what I'm saying. We're chilling. I put the funny tweet on Friday Night about Pe the Lonzo chasing a foul ball and just running into the umpire ball in the Mother of Them picking.
Speaker 1: I miss him a lot. I miss him. I really missed him every day.
Speaker 2: Someone my capture was sometimes I really miss him, and an angory Mets Giants Knicks fan replied to me, sometimes the reclamation points I miss him every day in my life. It's a whole in my life that will never be filled. They will never forget David Serenus for it. There's no logic and have the franchise homegrown guy with for the home runs. Just twenty RBIs leave. You were scared to give him long term contract?
Speaker 1: Is this so funny? How when Pete declined the extension that was offered to him years ago, everyone hated his fucking guts. Now when the Mets didn't pay him more money over a shorter period of time, everyone hates the Mets guts. You kind of just can't win, It seems like in this city, which is why hopefully the players just tune everything out. Just don't listen to anybody.
Speaker 2: I have a Tweetedbuck calls to Montgomery for the weekend.
Speaker 1: It was derogatory.
Speaker 2: I was just saying, like, I was crazy, he's for the home runs and only eight hundred ops and white Sox fans are in my applause. Yeah, well you think about versus Glundor right now. I was like, I didn't know that was part of the conversation.
Speaker 1: Well, don't you know you can't have an opinion on anything else because you are a Mets fan. James the cap conversation with me, I was like, I'm sorry, Pirates fans, your owner sucks, so you fucking suck. I'm like, what, what how did I get to become the problem here? That's fun though.
Speaker 2: It's nice. It's a nice it's a nice life. Besides for the Mets sucking ass.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was great, no complaints, and we're gonna wrap up the podcast now because I want to enjoy the rest of the night. Thank you, guys for listening, Thank you for watching. Subscribe to met Stuff over on YouTube. If you're listening to US Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Google drops a ring, drops a review, download and subscribe. You can follow James on social media at James Shianna. I'm Draftnick Mark. We'll catch you guys on next one. He's out beside guys, let's call Mets bright after the Loves Loves