Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, Radio News.
Speaker 2: Good morning, I'm Nathan Hager and I'm Alexis Christophers.
Speaker 3: Here are the stories we're following today.
Speaker 4: Alex As we begin with the new trade war for the US with its northern neighbor. The US has slapped fifty percent tariffs on around twenty billion dollars of Canadian goods after talks collapsed late Friday. Now Canada is preparing retaliatory tariffs, and Prime Minister Mark Karney says he's also preparing a domestic aid package for businesses affected by the spat. Transportation Secretary Sean Duffy says this.
Speaker 5: Won't end well for Canada.
Speaker 6: But I think that they're going to go to war with Donald Trump and actually win that war with the US.
Speaker 5: I think it's foolish on their part.
Speaker 6: I think you're going to see Mark Karney come to the table very very quickly, because it's going to be devastating forest Country.
Speaker 4: Transportation Secretary Sean Duffy appeared on Fox New Sunday, Heard Every Sunday on Bloomberg Radio. Bloomberg Global Trade Editor Brendan Murray reports Canada sees little chance, though of zooming talks with the US before the November midterms.
Speaker 7: It looks like the calculus from Ottawa's perspective to some extent, is that the political costs here for Donald Trump to engage with Canada in a trade war, to slap tariffs on each other, it might be detrimental to the Republican Party heading into the midterm elections.
Speaker 4: Here in Bloomberg's Brendan Murray reports, Canada's retaliatory tariffs won't take effect until September eighth, but sources tell Bloomberg News Canada's domesticate package could remain in place through the rest of President Trump's term if need be.
Speaker 3: And Treasury Secretary Scott Bessant is preparing to announce an economic d day for Tehran. We get more from Bloomberg Middle East correspondent Abira Boulamar in Dubai.
Speaker 8: We have to a wait, of course, the details of what Scott's best in trual layout in this press conference, but what is widely expected is an announcement of some kind of secondary sanctions against countries that continue or choose to continue to do deals or trade deals with Ron out of course, includes countries in the Gulf, namely the United Arab Emirates that of course includes India and the big one, China, which why is about ninety percent of Iranian oil. China actually came out over the weekend and said that it will continue to support the diplomatic route between the United States and Iran. Any kind of secondary measure against China will bring out a bigger conversation about tariff or trade wars between the United States and other countries.
Speaker 3: Bloomberg's Abira bu Omar reports. Secretary Bessent previewed the effort and a Financial Times opinion piece, writing that the objective is to quote sever every economic lifeline that sustains the tyrannical regime until Tehran stands alone. Ahead of the announcement, Iran's currency weakened to an all time low against the dollar, falling four and a half percent since President Trump announced the crushing economic Operation Alexis.
Speaker 4: World leaders have gathered in Kiev to mark thirty five years since Ukraine declared independence, and the dignitaries include UK Prime Minister Andy Burnham. Let's go to London and get the latest from Bloomberg's James Wilcock.
Speaker 2: Good Morning James, Good morning Nathan, and Alexis, many of Europe's leaders took the overnight train into Kiev for love with fresh pledges of cash for the war effort. It's become a familiar trip for the likes of the EU's Antonio Costa, but it's the first for the UK's relatively new lead. To Andy Burnham, who's chairing a meeting of Kiev's allies to mark the thirty fifth anniversary of Ukraine declaring independence, it's the independence they've guarded now for more than four years of war with Russia. But it's a war with no clear end insight in London, James Wilcock, Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 5: Thanks James.
Speaker 3: Meantime, the US military has scrapped an amphibious landing exercise with South Korea due to shortages related to deployments to the Middle East. That's according to a spokesperson for South Korea's Marine Corps. The postponement comes after President Trump recently ordered the scaling back of a separate joint military exercise with South Korea. The president cited his desire to maintain his relationship with North Korean dictator Kim Jong un and Soul's purported refuse US to help Washington with its conflict against Iran.
Speaker 4: Let's turn to the markets in the economy now. Alexis investors are looking ahead to Finchcher Kevin Warsh's comments in Jackson Hole, Wyoming this week for clues on the path for interest rates. Jack Manley, Global Market Strategistic JP Morgan Asset Management does not expect Warsh to say much.
Speaker 9: I think we're going to hear a whole lot of nothing, you know, to probably oversimplify things. I mean, Warsh has made it extremely clear that he wants to hold the cards, closes his chest as close to his chest as he possibly can. He is not particularly interested in forward guidance. I think it's going to be a lot of cryptic talking. I think we'll probably get an update on where those task forces are and how that progress or how those things are progressing. But don't expect a whole lot of clarity on what the Fed's going to be doing over the next twelve to eighteen months.
Speaker 5: That is not Warsh's story.
Speaker 4: It's JP Morgan Asset Management's Jack Manley. We invite you to join us this Friday for a special edition of Bloomberg Surveillance Live from the Jackson Hole Economic Symposium, Tom Kean, Lisa Bramoay, and Michael McKee speak with FED experts on the path forward starting Friday, nine am, Wall Street Time on Bloomberg Radio, Bloomberg Television, and the Bloomberg Business app.
Speaker 3: We'll be there looking forward to it. Meantime, treasury yields are trading your multi year highs ahead of that Jackson Home meeting, and hedge funds are increasing bearished dollar bets as they await details on Treasury Secretary Scott Besson's new fiscal plan to address high borrowing costs. Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis President Neil Kashkari is downplaying concerns over rising US treasury yields. He spoke on CBS's Face the Nation, there's.
Speaker 6: Every indication that the US treasury market is functioning as it should. Kind of trades are taking place, that there's liquidity in the market, and so that enables us to focus on the federal funds rate as our primary policy tool to get inflation back down. And so I think we have the freedom to do what we need to do to achieve our goals that Congress has assigned US.
Speaker 3: Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis President Neil Kashkari also express concerns that inflation won't cool anytime soon, but he stops short of saying whether he'd call for a rate hike in September.
Speaker 4: As for equities, Alexis tech stocks are leading futures mostly lower as we begin this new trading week, and as investors await Nvidia's earnings. On Wednesday, The Information is reporting the chip makers discussing investing in Perplexity in Equity Round, valuing that AI startup at more than thirty billion dollars.
Speaker 3: And Nathan In Asia, South Korea's COSTPE index dropped more than three percent. It was led lower by Samsung Electronics. That stock dropped more than four percent as investors were disappointed by a new shareholder return package that favors dividends. Sk Heinex also dropped more than four percent.
Speaker 4: The shares of Aali Baba fell almost nine percent Alexis after that company raised more than ten billion dollars in Hong Kong's biggest secondary share sale on record. Alibaba plans to use the proceeds to invest in AI.
Speaker 3: And SoftBank is planning a record six point three billion dollar retail bond sale that's the biggest by any issuer in Japan. The conglomerate is raising funds for its investment commitments to open ai SoftBank has committed more than sixty billion dollars to invest in the chat GPT developer.
Speaker 5: I'm looking at cryptocurrencies now.
Speaker 4: Alexis Spot Bitcoin exchange traded funds had their strongest weekly inflow in ten months last week, as the original cryptocurrency surged. The thirteen US listed funds drew in a net one point nine billion dollars. The inflow came as bitcoin gained about twenty three percent last week.
Speaker 3: And Nathan California's Attorney general has reportedly canceled a scheduled meeting today with Paramount to begin discussing a settlement of the state's lawsuit to block the media giant's acquisition of Warner Brothers Discovery. The New York Times reports at California's attorney general accused Paramount of leaking and misrepresenting earlier settlement talks. California and eleven other states aursuing Paramount to block the deal, arguing it would create a company with outsize market power and cable TV and movie studios. Five HT nine on Wall Street time now for a look at some of the other stories making news in New York and around the world. For that were joined by Bloomberg's Michael bar Good Morning, Michael.
Speaker 10: Good Morning, Alexis. Days ahead of the twenty fifth commemoration of the nine eleven attacks, there is a continuing effort to formally identify all of the nearly three thousand people killed at the World Trade Center. For the first time, the Medical Examiner's Office and the NYPD have identified a nine to eleven victim using genetic genealogy, combining DNA testing with family trees. Doctor Jennifer Udian is a forensic anthropologist in the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner for New York City.
Speaker 4: It's amazing when we get a possible new idea and then when we are able to confirm it and know that now another family is going to have that information.
Speaker 10: Officials say an adult female is the newly identified victim. Officials say a fast growing wildfire in Reno, Nevada, was human caused. The hawk fire grew Sunday and is uncontained. Authority is confirmed several structures have been destroyed, and that six people have been Heard about forty two thousand residents have been ordered evacuated, including this woman Gabor I could.
Speaker 2: I can't really see anything because there's no lights snow power.
Speaker 10: Evana. Governor Joe Lombardo declared a state of emergency in Washall County. Shelley Fabray, who starred in several TV series such as The Donna Reed Show and Coach, has died.
Speaker 5: So far, no word on the cause of death.
Speaker 10: Shelley Fabray was eighty two Tennis fans tight securities plan for today's start of the US Open. The New York City Police have new authority from DHS to counter unauthorized drones. The NYPD will deploy a mobile surveillance center to track drones and use sophisticated technology to hack into their guidance systems. Global news twenty four hours a day and whenever you want it with Bloomberg News Now. Michael Baron, This is Bloomberg.
Speaker 5: Thanks Michael.
Speaker 4: Time now for our Bloomberg Sports update, and for that we bring in Dan Schwartzman baseball scoreboard.
Speaker 11: The Yankees beat the Blue Jays eight to three, while the Mets give up a walkoff homer to loose to the White Sox two to one. Elsewhere, the Red Sox lip past the Giants five to four. The Orioles loose to the race three to one, while the Nationals are beaten by the Marlins six to two. Meanwhile, the Braves doubloped the Brewers four to two, Cubs dominate the Mariners nineteen to two, while the Phillies done the Cardinals six to four, scoring all six runs in the bottom of the ninth inning. NFL preseason Sunday Night football saw the Texans outlast the Seahawks nineteen to sixteen. In the NBA. After waiting to clear waivers, Clay Thompson officially signing a two year deal to join the Miami Heat. A golf Wyndham Clark wins the BMW Championship in Saint Louis by three strokes over Patrick Cantley. That's your Bloomberg Sports update.
Speaker 4: Stay with us more from Bloomberg Daybreak coming up after.
Speaker 1: This Coast to coast on Bloomberg Radio, nationwide on Sirius XM, and around the world on Bloomberg dot Com and the Bloomberg Business app. This is Bloomberg Daybreak.
Speaker 5: Good morning.
Speaker 4: The US as gary up for economic war on multiple fronts, now a trade war with Canada and an economic d day on Iran. Canada is preparing retaliatory tariffs on the US after the collapse of trade talks, but former Deputy Canadian Prime Minister Christia Freeland says her country does not see trade as a zero sum game.
Speaker 12: I think at heart that is not President Trump's view, and that is a real problem, and it's a problem not only for Canada, it's a problem for the United States.
Speaker 4: Former Canadian Deputy Prime Minister Christia Freeland was on Bloomberg this weekend. Joining us now is Julie Norman, Associate fellow at Chathamhouse. Julie, it's great to speak with you this morning. Who has the bigger problem now with the US and Canada apparently headed for trade war?
Speaker 5: Good morning, Yeah, good morning, Nathan.
Speaker 13: I mean, obviously for Canada, this is a bold move. With about seventy percent of Canadian exports going to the US, this is going to hit Canada hard, and Carney, I think knows that. But this is a bigger thing also for the US's style of negotiating and Trump's style of negotiating these tariffs not only with Canada, but with other countries as well, and seeing a country like Canada that does rely so much on this trade relationship. Taking this move, I think it's very important. It shows that countries can and will stand up to Trump if they are being essentially bullied into deals that are not in their interests.
Speaker 4: We saw Canada say that they are going to impose retaliatory tariffs on the US in fifteen days September eighth.
Speaker 5: Does that leave enough room for negotiation at this point?
Speaker 13: I think we can assume that there will be some talks resuming at some point. I'm not sure exactly when those will be, but certainly that window does allow for some wiggle room. And I would say, you know, Carnie, I think this was a strategic move from them to very abruptly walk away from these talks, say these weren't working for Canada and essentially put the US unusually on the back foot. And how they're going to respond to this, And so I think, again, because of the economic relationship between these two countries that's very well known, there will be talked to the resume at some point. But again, the political statement I think is just as important, if not more so, than the economic one at this point.
Speaker 4: In terms of that political statement, do you see a desire on the US side to get this resolved before the November mid terms, given some of the comments you've heard, in particular from the likes of Republican Senator Susan Collins saying the impact that tariffs could have on her state.
Speaker 13: Sure, I mean, a lot of northern states rely on this trade relationship with Canada, and a lot of them rely on energy relationships with Canada as well. And energy sector we know is already feeling the squeeze from the Iran war and whatnot. So even though not all these sectors are immediately implicated in this first round, if this does escalate further and deepen, these Northern states and the US more broadly is going to feel the impacts of this at a time when, you know, when that economics is already coming from what's happening other parts.
Speaker 5: Of the world.
Speaker 4: Speaking of other parts of the world, let's talk about Iran and the economic d day that Treasury Secretary Besson says he's going to be announcing this afternoon. Do you see further sanctions having an impact to get Iran back to the negotiating table, You.
Speaker 13: Know, Nathan, it's hard to say if that will have an impact right now, largely because the US and many other countries have had long standing strong sanctions against Iran for years now. There were sanctions prior to the twenty fifteen nuclear deal. Trump famously withdrew from that deal in twenty eighteen and reimposed those sanctions. Countries like the UK where Iron based, have very strong sanctions against Iran, and so that sanctions regen has been in place for a while, and that in itself is notable, but also that means that Iran has found many ways to work around those sanctions for years, whether through shadow fleets or through front firms or what have you. I think what the US is going to be trying to push forward this time is pressuring other states that still do do business with Iran to cease that. But even they're the countries that do the most business with Iran, China, Turkey, Iraq, the US's other interests with those countries that it would be unlikely and just very difficult for them to somehow, you know, do something drastic with China at this point to pressure on that particular front. So my guess is this is a way that Trump and the administration want to show they are doing something on Iran. They're trying to move this into an economic war, but even that, it's going to be a long slog.
Speaker 3: This is Bloomberg Daybreak, your morning podcast on the stories making news from Wall Street to Washington and beyond.
Speaker 4: Look for us on your podcast feed by six am Eastern each morning, on Apple, Spotify, or anywhere else you listen.
Speaker 3: You can also listen live each morning starting at five am Wall Street Time on Bloomberg eleven three to zero in New York, Bloomberg ninety nine to one in Washington, Bloomberg ninety two to nine in Boston, and nationwide on Sirius XM Channel one twenty.
Speaker 4: One plus coast to coast on the Bloomberg Business App now with Apple CarPlay and Android auto interfaces.
Speaker 3: And don't forget to subscribe to Bloomberg News Now. It's the latest news whenever you want it in five minutes or less. Search Bloomberg News Now on your favorite podcast platform to stay informed all day long. I'm Alexis Christophers.
Speaker 5: And I'm Nathan Hager.
Speaker 4: Join us again tomorrow morning for all the news you need to start your day right here on Bloomberg Day Rank