Speaker 1: The volume.
Speaker 2: All right, forget what the calendar says. The football season actually to me, starts Saturday. The Baltimore Ravens open their camp for the rookies. DraftKings has a Best Ball Millionaire contest. It is the biggest fantasy contest ever. We're talking fifteen million guaranteed dollars in the prize pool. Fifteen million from DraftKings. That's a big number. With two two millionaires being crowned for first and second place. That is life changing. If you're a set it and forget it type, then Best Ball is for you. No waiver wires, no roster management, bigger rosters, so injuries won't end your season. Only the draft and that's it. You are set for the season. I like that right, So you can play it and have a life too. Check it out this year DraftKings offering everyone a Draft one get one special. Everybody gets this. Your twenty dollars entry fee that's at twenty bucks scores you a bonus ticket. So get ready for the Best Ball Week at DraftKings. Download the DraftKings app. You know takes ninety seconds. Put in the code column that's me col I n All customers who enter the NFL Best Ball fifteen million Millionaire Contest get a bonus ticket only during Best Ball Week only on DraftKings.
Speaker 3: Gambling problem called one eight hundred gambler in New York call eight seven seven eight, open wire, text hope and Wyatt four six seven three six nine. In Connecticut, help is available for problem gambling called eight eight eight seven eight nine seven seven seven seven or visit CCPG dot org eighteen and over in most eligible states, but age varies by jurisdiction. Eligibility restrictions apply. One per customer enter the Best Ball fifteen million dollar Contest by nine to five twenty four to get one bonus entry. Twenty dollars entry fee required. Reward expires at contestlock on nine five, twenty four. See terms at DraftKings dot com slash dfs.
Speaker 4: Well he filled in for me last week.
Speaker 2: Popular talk show host in Chicago, really talented guy, Danny Parkins. I never wanted to be an eighty percent NFL show. And as I've done this, the longer I've done this, the NFL now has so separated, for a variety of reasons from every other sport that there was a point about a year or two ago when college football was still very Bama dominated that I wasn't talking college football, and I thought, God, you could put my show, it feels like, on the NFL network, And that's not a goal of mine. I actually the WNBA to me has been such a breath of fresh air, not because I'm woke or not because I feel that women deserve attention in sports, because it's good. It's polarizing, it's kind of tribal, it's captivating, and it allows me to get out of the NFL bubble. Do you ever feel a little bit sometimes like God, I'm doing seventy five percent NFL talk and I can do more more than that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, it was funny filling in for you. You know, I'm in that pitch meeting and I'm I'm pitching people the your terrific staff takes and I had you know, his NFL Team USA things like that, a little bit of Caitlin Clark, Angel Reese, Rokie of the Year, and so I had all the takes that I wanted to do. And then I said, so, but you guys are the experts on like how Colin would structure a show, what should be like the lead, what's what's the a block because it was July eighth. There's nothing going on, which is why you were on vacation, and and they're like, oh, well, your DAC take should be the lead. I'm like, but nothing's happening with the like They're like, they're like, say that he took off his.
Speaker 4: Boot and then do your DAC take.
Speaker 1: I'm like, okay, so that's like, that's like enough, and I and of course there's a reason for it. Everybody cares about it. Huge team, huge fan base and all of that. But yeah, it's definitely something that if and when I'm doing more stuff in your world in orbit, I'll feel that way. But local radio baseball still matters a lot, Yes, so I do a lot on the Cubs. The White Socks are historically bad, and that's actually kind of interesting. Either be great or be awful. Don't be a seventy six win team. So the White Socks are historically bad and that's providing a little bit of humor. And then the Cubs are really interesting with a huge fan base that's super engaged, and we air the games so there's a new baseball game every day and so there is at least something there. So locally I am not as starved for topics sometimes that have mass appeal. But Angel Reese is in our backyard here in Chicago's like I do think while I am not watching games first quarter to fourth quarter and like completely locked in, people are more interesting than teams. Yeah, and these people are interesting stories that people have a lot of opinions about. So I'm all for it, and we have been doing some and frankly, we're probably gonna end up doing more.
Speaker 2: So I always kind of roll my eyes, you know, I'm kind of I am numb to kind of criticism.
Speaker 4: I think, you know, I work hard, I do what I do.
Speaker 2: I got a great staff, my staff, we just don't really you know, we do content. We don't have time to look back. My rule has always been I have opinions. You can have opinions on my opinions. I'm not going to have an opinion on your opinion of my opinion. Like I got three hours to fill tomorrow. But I like and I see it infrequently. I think sometimes the Internet has scared away a lot of sports hosts. Not political hosts, they don't care, but sports hosts are either more insecure are more defensive, you know, Sean Hannity, Rachel Maddow, Oberman. They don't care like I, but a lot of sports guys are bothered by getting picked on by, you know, whatever the site is, and so nobody wants to be told you have a hot take.
Speaker 4: But the truth is, I like sportscasters who are.
Speaker 2: Like, I wanna lay it out here, like I don't get this, And about two years ago, this was my hot take, and I'm gonna ask for your hottest take, and my hot take was Luca is just a much.
Speaker 4: Better version of Carmelo.
Speaker 2: Anthony not in great shape, and after about four years, you're never going to be Steve Prefontaine, Okay, I can come to terms with it. A prodigy offensively therefore never really had to be engaged defensively to matter. In the end, his teams will be lobsided and he'll go through teammates, he'll work with some, never ideally with any. But he's a better version of Carmelo. And I don't think it's a hot take because Mellow did not complain to the officials as much as Luca. Luca is much more like Magic Johnson, like it's just a constant chatter. But my take is that he's better than Mellow. I'm not, I'm and both their first belt Hall of famers. I mean Mello for his lack of postseason success. As an all time score, He's way up the list.
Speaker 4: Right, is that Luca is.
Speaker 2: A better version of Mellow. He's never going to be in great shape. He was such a prodigy, like being a pianist, a prodigy at seven, you're probably not going to be great at sports. You're not going to be great at other things because you're just going to lean into your artistry on the piano. Right, And I think they're so gifted offensively, where Lebron never had a great jumper early, he was just he was gifted physically, but he wasn't a pretty offensive player.
Speaker 4: He really had to work at it.
Speaker 2: Mellow at twelve could hit an eighteen foot and it looked like art.
Speaker 4: It was a monet.
Speaker 2: And that that's my hot take, is that Luca we're gonna look back. He's going to be a top five score. He may get a ring. He's never in great shape, that really engaged defensively, and he'll he'll go through a series of teammates. Somebody gets along with many, he doesn't. That's my hot take, where's yours?
Speaker 1: It's a good one. It's a good one. Luca a better passer than Mellow, so I even like more complete all around the game.
Speaker 4: Like Mellow. Mellow up your score, Lucas Man.
Speaker 1: I mean, I have so many that like age poorly and like immediately like you do this for a lot, for long enough you do. Like if people like pick on me or get mad at me for like me just being wrong, I'm like, Okay, then you document twenty hours of.
Speaker 4: Opinions a week and won't see how you like?
Speaker 1: You know what actually like first to sensitized me to not caring about being wrong. Gambling like I've been. I've been gambling on sports longer than I've been hosting radio shows professionally. I started gambling on sports when I was recovering from back surgery in high school. I was fifteen or sixteen years old. It was like, yeah, you're wrong sometimes on your prediction. I mean, I said it was there was a zero percent chance that Tony Laruss was going to get hired as the manager of the White Sox. He was hired four days later. I said John Baldwin was going to be a Hall of Famer. He was an incredible bust. There are so many that are Listen. I said that I would trade my dog for Deshaun Watson for him to be the quarterback of the Bears, and five days later there were sixty five accounts of sexual.
Speaker 4: Misconducts that came out of it. Oh God, I've I've had some real ones that blow up my face. But it's funny.
Speaker 1: You know the one from your from the six hours of doing your show that I'm getting killed for the most in my group chat with like my friends, Nick has gotten on me. You think Justin Herbert's the third best quarterback in the world to start a franchise with.
Speaker 4: I'm like, yeah, I do. Like you know, he has no playoff wins. Yeah, but there has to be an eye test.
Speaker 1: I have to be able to say that, yes, he has no playoff wins, he has a horrendous blown lead. He's there have been multiple coaches that have been there. But I have to be able to trust myself that no matter what a grave looks like from a scouting service, or a yards per attempt or a win loss record, I have to say that when I watched these games, when I watch eleven hours of football, start to finish on a Sunday. Who's more physically talented than that dude throwing a football.
Speaker 4: Josh Allen and Patrick Mahomes.
Speaker 2: That's it.
Speaker 1: That's the list, and my list was Mahomes won, Allen two, Herbert three, Stroud four.
Speaker 4: People like, how do you not have Stroud in front of him. I'm like, well, Stroud was amazing, but he's done it. One time.
Speaker 1: He had twenty three passing touchdowns like it was. It was an incredible year. Five interceptions over four thousand yards. It's a rookie. No one thought Nico Collins and Tank Dell were going to be things. And now he's you know, made him into great players.
Speaker 4: But like he did it once.
Speaker 1: No one's thrown for more yards through the first five years of a career than Justin Herbert. And I know Anthony Lynn was terrible at clock management, and I know the Chargers have been cursed with injuries, and I know he's had three different play callers or four different play callers now since he's been into the league. I'm like, at some point, I just have to trust my eyes. And there's no doubt in my mind that Harball and him are gonna win big so I haven't sold a share of Justin Herbert stock. Like I if the Bears would have traded the rights to Caleb Williams for Justin Herbert, I would been like, I get it, I get it. I It'd be hard for me to pound the table because Caleb is so much cheaper. But I just think that that dude's so unbelievably talented that I'm willing to go down with the ship.
Speaker 2: Now, is there a hot take that you're proud of? I'll throw one out. I said, Johnny manziel And Zach Wilson can't play a lit.
Speaker 1: Oh good for you.
Speaker 2: I was like, nope, Johnny manziel And, by the way, I've met Johnny. There's qualities about Johnny that I think are great. I think he's probably a great hang and a great friend. If you had to pick NFL quarterbacks to go party within a Friday night, he'd be a blast. He'd be funny, he's cocky, he's smart, probably tells great stories. I just I said, I don't care what Nick Saban says. That is not an NFL quarterback. He's not disciplined enough, his shoulders, his waist, he's too tiny, he's small. People think Baker Mayfield, but I always said Baker's overdrafted, but he can play. He's a franchise quarterback. People think I hated Baker. It's like, no, no, no, he's draftable. I just wouldn't draft him as a GM. I don't like his temperament as a twenty year old. I also said Zach Wilson, and I think Joe Douglas is a good GM. I'm like, guys, go to the three best teams he played in college. He won during a COVID season.
Speaker 4: He can't.
Speaker 2: This is not an NFL starting quarterback. So pat myself in the back. Do you have one you took shit for? But in retrospect, you're like, I'm kind of proud of that one because I was on an island.
Speaker 1: You know, it's so funny.
Speaker 4: I mean, like, again, there's a hundred of them, because you know what I mean, I'm so right.
Speaker 1: About so many things and so wrong about so many things. Then I don't even really like think about it in those terms. But so my wife went to Clemson and we were in Mexico and Clemson was playing Georgia and there was like a twenty inch TV on in like the sports bar and the all inclusive resort that we were at, and Clemson in their first game of the season. They were starting fifth year senior Cole Stout. Yeah, and I was like, Okay, I don't really. We were just like dating at the time. It's like one of our first trips we took together. So I'm like trying to I'm watching more college football because of her. She's super into it, Like, all right, let's check out this Clemson team, Like, oh, cole Stout, this guy stinks. Three possessions into the game, they bring in a true freshman by the name of Deshaun Watson, and this guy throws a ball sixty yards in the air and it's.
Speaker 4: I'm just like, who is that?
Speaker 1: And she's like, she's like, I don't know, but she's a fan, but she doesn't know that, like she's not following like recruiting. I'm like, who is that.
Speaker 4: She's like, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I'm like googling it, like that guy's your quarterback, that guy's gonna win a Heisman Trophy, that guy's going to the NFL. He's gonna be the first pick.
Speaker 4: In the draft. And he wasn't.
Speaker 1: Uh, But I ended up watching every game that he played in college. We went to Arizona to watch him in the title game against Alabama when he had four passing touchdowns a rushing touchdown, and they lost because Nick Saban on sidekicked to kick the to keep the ball out of his hands. So it's not like the hottest take in the world because he was obviously a big time recruit. But I pride myself on actually watching the games same. I'd like, I'm going to watch the games, and I try not to be terribly on Twitter during the games. I try not to see everyone else's opinion on things while I'm watching the I try to watch the game, have an opinion, and then see if I'm in the majority of the minority or I'm alone on an island. And so I felt like with him. So the Bears had the third pick in the draft. They traded up, and I was like, I don't understand this. I was like, I don't get the Mahomes thing. I don't get the Trubisky thing. Mahomes is from the Big twelve. They've never put a good quarterback into the NFL. It's the air raid. There's no way that'll work. Mitch Drubisky he's in the ACC with DeShawn Watson. He's started for one year, and you're telling me that a guy who played Bama in back to back title games one to one, lost one and the first four thousand and one thousand yard guy in college football history, you're telling me that's not the number one pick in the draft. And so I was just banging the drum for the Bears to take to Sean Watson, and obviously he goes third. He would have been much better than Trubisky. The personal off the field stuff. Who could have known that aged very poorly. But when he had that five thousand yard forty eight hundred yard season with Bill O'Brien at twenty three years old, I was.
Speaker 4: Like, I told you.
Speaker 1: I was like, I told you this better than Mitchy. I'm like, I shuld be the GM of the Bears. So, and honestly, isn't that an obvious point? Like what do these guys get paid for it to do twenty hours a week of work? To say that a one year starter at North Carolina is? How does that happen?
Speaker 5: So you have an upcoming fantasy football draft, well, then you need to check you out the fantasy Pros Draft Wizard. When you sink your fantasy football league with draft Wizard, you'll get an instant report that shows you how the rest of your league drafts. You'll see who overdrafts rookies in early rounds, who's gonna be the person to take that first QB off the board, and which manager is going to always reach for that hometown player every single time. And then you can take those patterns directly into the draft simulator and make your mock draft feel like the real thing. When your real draft comes around, you're gonna be ready and the draft assistant will be there for you to give you live pick by pick insights and expert recommendations of who to draft and when to draft them. You can see all of this and more at fantasypros dot com slash volume Today.
Speaker 2: Well, I only get the opportunity a couple times a year because he's the hardest working man in print journalism in America. You know, Connor, my friend, He's got a book. I cannot wait to read it. I've already had several shots at several chapters, and it's so in depth. It's called Out of the Darkness, The Mystery of Aaron Rodgers. It comes out next month. You know, as she written this book, it helped me to laugh. But Aaron's like a story a week guy. At I keep thinking, do you have to keep doing updates for the book?
Speaker 6: I did, actually, Colin, and thank you very much for the kind words I handed in the book in January. And at that point, after asking to get him for months and getting no response or being told he's he's thinking about it. Assuming at that point he's not going to talk to me, and generally my biographies they've been unauthorized with limited or no cooperation from the main subject. So then in February I got a message from the Jets, well, he's actually now willing to talk to you. And it wasn't going to be a ten hour sit down where he told me his life story, but it was more a fact checking hour or two. So I got two hours with him and great. So he answered him questions, he made the book better. And then after that you had the RFK Junior story drop. After that you had the Sandy Hook conspiracy story drop, and then some podcasts he did after my access to him, where more conspiracies were talked about. And so listen Aaron Rodgers. He was a very difficult subject to get your arms around. I thought Belichick was tough, but compared to Rogers, I think Belichick was a walk in the park because he was a mystery that I felt like there was the same to it at the same time, and he was right in front of me. And I always felt that Rogers was a moving target, and so it was a challenge and hopefully I conquered it. I guess the readers will will let me know if I did.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think, you know, complex people are interesting, and I've said Aaron's really good content for me. There are parts of Aaron that I've said on the show before. My theory on Aaron. One of them is he just pushes back on authority. His family was very religious. He pushed back on it. He pushed back on the Packers, He's pushed back on the media. He's pushed back on the government vaccines. Whether that's a good quality or not, it can be unsettling to people covering him. But my belief is he's a non conformist. Many of the people in our lives, musicians and artists, we have celebrated our non conformists.
Speaker 4: Is there a bit of.
Speaker 2: Artistry to his personality. That's probably the wrong word, but in my life we have often celebrated there's a construct of football that we want organizational, dependable, reliable personalities. And is it arguable or debatable he's more of an artist in a structured sport.
Speaker 6: And that's a great question. And I'm used to Eli Manning, that model that Eli Manning Derek Jeter model in New York and Aaron is the complete opposite of that. And so, but there there is an art to creating a news cycle rolling out of bed, and that's what he can do. He can do that better than anyone else, maybe in all sports. He can create a news cycle like that. So, and we've seen that over the years. And I think he loves being interesting. I think he loves being talked about, he loves being analyzed. Don't think he loves the way the news media has treated him in recent years. I think his viewpoints politically generally are in contrast with what he believes is the liberal media, largely liberal media, and he's right for the most part. And you look at him, though, what's interesting is his life. His public life. Colin changed with COVID because before COVID and the I've been immunized press conference in August of twenty one. He was not considered a villain. He was a guy who was very socially aware. He backed Colin Kaepernick and the right to kneel in protest. He actually rebuked the fan who screened out or shouted out an anti Muslim slur in the middle of the national anthem I think it was right after the Paris terrorist attacks, and got a letter of congrat congratulations or thanks or appreciation from President Obama. Mina Cones had that, and so he was sort of known as as an athlete who was socially aware and engaged the issues and really on the right side of the issues. And all of a sudden, COVID and his stance against vaccines changed everything for him in terms of his public image.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna throw this out and you can latch onto this, and if there's any story in the book that corroborates or refutes this, go ahead. But I've said one of the statistics with Aaron that doesn't make a lot of sense on the surface is his lack of come from behind wins in the NFL twenty one playoff games. He has won that would be low for a bad quarterback. He's an all time great. And I've often used, you know, maybe it's fright, a little glib. He's more of a Baylor than a baller. Is that when he plays poorly early he quits that he's not a fox hole guy. He's just brilliantly gifted. Jeter was more of a leader, a Rod was more talented. Brady's more of a leader. Aaron's just more talent. And that I look at him that there's a lack of fundamental lack of trust in a process, and when he struggles early in games, his body language shifts. When he trails latent games, there's a lack of trust for the play calling. And that's part of his personality. It's the only thing I can figure out and decipher why a gifted quarterback in twenty one playoff games has only one come from behind win. Does any of this line up with some of his unique personality quirks or his fundamental base personality.
Speaker 6: Well, when he was younger, he was a fearless postseason player, and I think he what He won four of his first five postseason games, and the throw he made to beat Pittsburgh in the Super Bowl. The third down throw over the middle to Jennings is one of the great throws in Super Bowl history on third down. If that passes incomplete, I think the Steelers win that Super Bowl. And so he makes that play and other plays in that game and in that postseason run. If you go back Colin as I did, of course, and looked at particularly the game against at Land and the playoffs that year that he wonted, you cannot play the position at a higher level than that, right. He had some Alan Irison type ankle breaking moves to escape guys in the pocket that were just unbelievable, and the throws he made and just the way he played in that game was it was art. It was just hard to believe somebody could play at that level. And after watching that game and seeing him win the Super Bowl, it is really hard still after studying his career in his life, to come to grips with the fact that the Packers could not figure out a way to win a second ring with this guy. It's just unbelievable. One thing I'll point out, so this doesn't really relate to his upbringing or character traits, but he listen, if they recover an onside kick. He's in the second Super Bowl. They don't recover it onside kick, and didn't do six other things in the final minutes of that game. And by the way, and by the way, that comeback drive to tie and send it into overtime against Seattle is totally forgotten. Was an amazing drive by Aaron Rodgers to get that game into overtime after the team and really the coaching staff around him fell apart. So that doesn't count because they lost, but just in that building, the loudest building in the NFL, after the rest of the team really folded around him to drive that team down the field to force overtime and lose it basically on a coin toss. So that's a tough one. Because they get to the Super Bowl that year. They had beaten New England in the regular season, so they would have a lot of confidence against Brady in the Super Bowl that year. But he did not have Belichick. Okay, Mike McCarthy was not a bad coach, but he's not even close to Belichick. Tom Brady also had the best offensive coordinator of his generation, and Brady had this great system that Belichick created, right, and Aaron Rodgers had had a slightly better than average head coach and didn't have that system or offensive coordinator a lot of times, didn't have a great defense, and so I think that's that. Hey, it's there, and it's part of his legacy. The lack of comeback victory certainly is right there on his record. But he very easily, in a different situation would have the multiple rings that he doesn't have right now that everybody holds against him, and he has a part in that too. There were postseason victories that he left on the field that he could have made a play to overcome somebody else, and he didn't do that, and certainly that is part of his record as well.
Speaker 2: Now, I always thought there was such a unique, interesting contrast between this great looking hipster it went to Burke that ends up in Green Bay, Wisconsin, the smallest talking about the loneliest places in the NFL. Do you think Aaron on a social level, what was Green Bay like for him? That's always been fascinating. I know he goes to Malibu in the offseason, but for about twenty weeks you live in Green Bay, Wisconsent.
Speaker 4: Didn't you think he liked it? Appreciated it?
Speaker 6: He did and it's funny because after he got drafted, of course, he's very disappointed that he plunged in the first round. He was supposed to a lot of people thought he should have gone number one to his childhood team San Francisco. That was his dream. The Niners pick Alex Smith instead, so he falls to twenty four to Green Bay and Thomas Weatherspoon, former NCAA champion sprinter, was a trainer for Aaron Rodgers. A guy made him faster, and he said to him, this is great. This is like Chico with snow and the green Bay Quarterbacks. In green Bay, they're gonna build a statue for you and they're gonna love you to death, and there's no better place to be. So this plunge in the first round is really a blessing in disguise, and I think Aaron saw that. And now I don't think the Green Bay community embraced him like it embraced Brett Farr, because they saw Farv as one of us, even though he was from the South. Yes, right, hunter fisherman, hanging out with the boys in the bar, high fiving fans over a beer by everyone around in the bar, until, of course he went into until he got sober and and then that changed a little bit. But yeah, they saw he is one of us, and I don't think they ever saw Rogers as one of us. But I think it was a really good fit for him, coming from a small market being overlooked, coming a Juco guy, and then he ends up in Green Bay and it really was a great marriage, even though it wasn't the same relationship with the fans that Farv had. And it just can't believe that they only won one championship with him when you look at the talent, and some of it is his fault, but it's a shame. And really, at the end for John Elway, he got a second ring, got his first ring and a second ring at the end of his career, and Peyton Manning got that second ring right at the end of his career. And I think that it would be a good thing, really to see Aaron Rodgers get that second ring before he retires, because he's too good to retire with one ring. Thankfully he's got one and not zero, because we'd be really destroying him for that, but he really should retire with multiple rings. And hey, listen, the Jet fan base is the most fatalistic fan base I've ever encountered, and at some point it's going to happen. Entering the two thousand and four season, the Red Sox fan base thought it would never happen, and it did. Entering twenty sixteen, the Cubs fan base thought it would never happen, and it did. New York Ranger fan base in ninety four thought it would never happen, and it did so at some point it will happen for the Jets. Hopefully it'll be the this year.
Speaker 1: The volume.
Speaker 2: Thanks so much for listening. If you've enjoyed the podcast, take a moment rate and review