Speaker 1: You're listening to Comedy centralow.
Speaker 2: From the most trusted journalists at Comedy Central's America's only source for news. This is The Daily Show with your homes Jazzy line.
Speaker 3: Welcome to the Daily Show. I'm Hetty Lydenk. We've got so much to talk about tonight. Trump is a total idiom corporation sachet away from Pride Month? And does America have a military a parade? This weekend might finally give us the answer. So let's get into the headline. Let's kick things off with mean coin entrepreneur Donald Trump, who also moonlights as President of the United States. Yesterday he went to Fort Braggs. He gave a speech to his favorite men in uniform who aren't in the village people. He was there to commemorate the two hundred and fiftieth anniversary of the Army, So of course he ended up discussing Joe Biden.
Speaker 4: We had a grossly, grossly unfit president. And by the way, I've known this guy for a long time. He was never the sharpest.
Speaker 3: Bulb, sharpest bulb, what a wordsmith. See, most people would have gone with brightest bulb or sharpest tool, but Donald Trump took half of both and slushed them together. That is what makes him the cream of the litter, well brovo, But again, Trump wasn't there to talk about Joe Biden. He was there to talk about America's proud military history and that went great too.
Speaker 4: Recently, other countries celebrated the victory of World War One. France was celebrating. Really, we're all celebrating. The only one that doesn't celebrate is the USA and with the ones that won the war without us, you'd all be speaking German right now, maybe a little Japanese thrown in.
Speaker 3: Okay. I know what you're thinking. Why would we be speaking Japanese when they were on our side in World War One? Well, I think it's because he said world War one, but what he meant was lightbel But just for the record, I'd love to speak German and a little Japanese because that would help me understand like ninety five percent of the porn I watch, does anyone know what Aina Kline megachode means? I don't like it. But what got the most attention wasn't what Donald Trump said, but how much the troops enjoyed it.
Speaker 5: President Trump's rally style speech yesterday at Fort Bragg in North Carolina.
Speaker 6: He had active duty troops booing, the media booing his political opponents.
Speaker 4: Do you think this crowd would have showed up for Biden? I don't think so.
Speaker 7: I don't think I don't think so.
Speaker 4: The fake news ladies and gentlemen, look at him, look at them all. Oh, what I have to put up with? Fake news? What I have to put up with in Los Angeles, the governor of California, the mayor of Los Angeles.
Speaker 3: Oh, those boos are very upsetting, and not just because they remind me of my fifth grade talent show. And looking back, I probably shouldn't have performed the entirety of Eddie Murphy's raw. I gotta say, I gotta say. This is not a good look for the military. The military is supposed to be a political.
Speaker 8: Graphic is still.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry, Oh, I gotta say. I gotta say this is not a good look for the military. The military is supposed to be a political They don't serve Democrats or Republicans. They protect all of us, even Jill Stein voters. For some reason, but maybe the reason these troops seems so maggat is because the non Trumpers didn't want to be there.
Speaker 6: According to Military dot Com, memos from Fort Bragg reveal a tightly orchestrated effort to curate the optics of Trump's recent visit, including hand picking soldiers for the audience based on political leanings. Other rules for troops appearing on camera included no fat soldiers.
Speaker 3: Wow, that really sums up the two principles of Donald Trump, doesn't it? Number one? Total loyalty? Number two? No faddies, keep in mind that before Trump turned the military into his own personal Maga cheer squad, He's started the week by sending marines into America's most bangable city. And this is all just the warm up before the main event this weekend. President Trump's highly anticipated military parade kicks off this Saturday. The parade marks the armies two hundred and fiftieth anniversary. Oh my god, give these troops a break. Already, they have to sit through your show, they have to invade Los Angeles, and now they have to parade for you. America doesn't do military parade, so why is this one so important?
Speaker 6: The parade just so happens to also fall on President Trump's seventy ninth birthday.
Speaker 3: Yes, there it is, there it is the parade just so happens to be on his birthday, But that's not why he's doing it. This parade is for the army and the fudgi the whale cake is for the army, but he gets to bloom out the candles. So how much is the doge President I'm going to spend on this Army birthday extravaganza.
Speaker 6: The total cost to taxpayers up to forty five million dollars.
Speaker 9: The Army said it expects minimal damage to DC roads from the seventy ton tanks rolling down, but they've budgeted sixteen million of your dollars to repair those roads once the parade is over.
Speaker 3: Forty five million dollars and a third of that is just you ripping up the roads. People don't usually throw down that hard unless they're moving out the next day. Wait is Trump moving out the next day? But hey, at least they're budgeting for the road damage in advance, because, as Donald Trump always says, a penny saved is a bird in the hand. The more on Trump's military parade slash birthday celebration. Let's go live to Washington, d C. With Ronnie Chang.
Speaker 7: Thank you, Thank you, Deasi Desi, Hi, I'm embedded here with the military parade. I'm we're ready to go for the long haul.
Speaker 3: Wait, the long haul isn't the paraded one day event?
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's what they always say, But you know the US military one day in the Capitol, it turns into a twenty year quag.
Speaker 3: My real quick, Ronnie, it's a parade. I think they're just driving down a street while people wave.
Speaker 7: At them, all right, and I bet they'll be greeted as liberators too, right, when have I heard that before? Next thing, you know, we're paying off tribal leaders in Georgetown and creating dc isis. I know my history, Deisi. They're gonna spend us like Japan did in World War One?
Speaker 3: So you agree the whole parade is a terrible idea.
Speaker 7: No, I love it. Usually only Brown nations get to see American military hardware, and that's outside that window at very high speeds. It'll be nice for Americans to get court side seats for once. I mean there are shepherds and Yemen who can fact check this parade. I mean they'll be looking at a TV like Nady got a newer model of that drone.
Speaker 3: Trust me, But Ronnie, that's not a good thing. This is what dictators do, display their military strength to intimidate everyone.
Speaker 7: Okay, okay, man, this is clearly bothering you. But look, okay, this is actually a win win for both sides. Mega gets a cool parade and for the liberals, having the whole military and all our weapons in one place means the rest of America is unguarded, which gives a saner nation the chance to come in and take over.
Speaker 3: What are you saying?
Speaker 7: Hold on, sorry, I got, I got. Let's make a call real quick.
Speaker 8: Sure.
Speaker 7: Hey Canada, Hey, what are you doing Saturday? I mean, how would you like America to be your fifty first day?
Speaker 3: Ronnie Chang? Everyone, we come back, we find out which company aren't feeling proud that here for don't.
Speaker 5: Welcome back to.
Speaker 3: The Daily Show. June is Pride Month, where we celebrate the LGBTQ community and stores roll out their pride merch to rake in some of that sweet gay cash, as it's known in the gay community money. But this year things are different.
Speaker 6: Pride Month is here and some big brands have gone conspicuously quiet.
Speaker 8: Corporate America is scaling back.
Speaker 2: It's marketing that includes selling Pride themed merchandise or posting supportive messages on social media.
Speaker 3: Walmart, MasterCard, Comcast, Pepsi, and Moore have either stopped or scaled back Pride events.
Speaker 10: Anniser Busch not sponsoring Pride Saint Louis after a thirty year partnership. Target's once bold Pride displaced, now stripped.
Speaker 3: Bear absolutely despicable. Target has completely abandoned its role as the number one destination for gay people with horrible fashion sense. But the question is why are these companies suddenly retreating back into the closet.
Speaker 10: More than sixty percent of more than two hundred executives say they fear backlash from the Trump administration and its actions against diversity, equity, and inclusion efforts by company.
Speaker 2: Our country will be work no longer.
Speaker 10: Some also fear of falling prey to conservative activists and customers becoming the next bud Light. Some companies writing checks but asking that their names and logos not be included. It's just it's a strange time for Pride this year.
Speaker 3: Come on secretly paying gays because you're ashamed your major corporations not Lindsey Graham for more an Alex. If we turn now to our senior gay business correspondent, Troy, I wanna.
Speaker 5: Thank you so much. DESI yes, I am the senior gay business correspondent.
Speaker 3: Just to clarify, are you a correspondent on gay business or a business correspondent.
Speaker 8: Who is gay? Yes?
Speaker 1: Cool?
Speaker 8: Cool, cool cool.
Speaker 3: So what do you make of corporations pulling back from Pride Month?
Speaker 5: You know what, I'd get it, big corporations.
Speaker 1: I'd get it.
Speaker 5: You were only into jumping all over Pride a few years ago because it was trendy and cool and so Obama and you wanted all that gay cash.
Speaker 1: But we have a lot of it, you know, I get it. Most of us don't have kids.
Speaker 3: Ugh, right, totally, you don't do that boring breeding thing that we do.
Speaker 5: Yeah, totally, you know, but I get it. The vibes have shifted. You know, Maga's ascended. Trump is president, Obama is dead. But I you know, one day the pendulum is going to swing back toward the gays. And when it does, a little rainbow flag isn't going to cut it. If they want our business again, they're going to have to do something that shows their commitment.
Speaker 3: Sure, like discounts, or they could donate to LGBTQ causes they're going to have to bottom oh bottom, yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Hey, corporations, you want to prove that you have commitment, Find your most homophobic executive. Change his fiber intake day one of the act. Make him eat light mostly greens. Okay, he needs to douche because sometimes you can't just trust your body. And then he needs lubricamp. Okay, you can't just pull a heath ledger and spit on it.
Speaker 1: Rip.
Speaker 8: Wow.
Speaker 3: Bottoming does take a lot of commitment.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it does.
Speaker 5: I know even some gig guys won't do it.
Speaker 1: Brian.
Speaker 3: That demand is detailed.
Speaker 5: Yeah, sorry, is that too much? Too much detail for you? Does mail love make you cringe?
Speaker 3: Oh my god? No, no, oh god, no, it's so beautiful, like it was so beautiful. I mean, in fact, I wish I couldn't be there with you in the room, just like celebrate.
Speaker 8: It all, you know.
Speaker 1: All right, calm down.
Speaker 3: Sorry, I just I want to be an ally. So do you think bottoming will be enough to satisfy them?
Speaker 1: Well, you know it depends on the angle.
Speaker 3: And no, I mean to satisfy the gay community.
Speaker 5: Oh oh right, okay, no, no, no, no, there's there's all sorts of ways companies can embrace gay culture. They can they can show their appreciation of Megan Hilty. They can find out who Megan Hilty is. They can open their marriages, then close their marriages, then open their marriages again.
Speaker 8: AMC.
Speaker 5: You can put Nicole Kidman in charge of the company. She's basically the only reason gays go to the movies.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, Oh, and they can give gold Mian sacks to Katy Perry.
Speaker 1: I love that You're trying, but you don't.
Speaker 5: You don't get it.
Speaker 3: They can watch drag Race. I love drag Race a true ally. Yeah, thank you. That really means a lot. I feel so seen and that is what Pride Month is all about.
Speaker 1: That's not true, But okay, so us this.
Speaker 3: The next time the pendulum swings to the right. What if corporations abandon your community.
Speaker 1: Again, Well, that will be difficult.
Speaker 5: And if they come crawling back a third time, they'll need to go above and beyond to regain our trust. And you know there is something they can do, and I think we both know what it is. Yes, equal hiring practices.
Speaker 1: Wow, did you you just said full on fisting?
Speaker 9: No?
Speaker 3: No, I said what you said, drag queen. Yes, Queen, I'll see no shame. Join from back, hot, go join.
Speaker 10: Me on the Welcome to Day.
Speaker 3: My guest to night is a comedian whose new blue stand up special is called Father. Please Welcome, Let's go go Queen, a comedy and queen of fashion, always bringing it.
Speaker 8: Oh my goodness, thank you. I feel like I'm giving a little Ronald McDonald today.
Speaker 3: Come Ronald McDonald. But make it fashion.
Speaker 8: Make it fashion and girl. That's right, that's our, you know, that's our. Make a girl, make a girl.
Speaker 3: I am such a fan of your special. It was so funny you it's called Father, and you say it came because your fans call you mother, but you identify more as father.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Is that because you're not a fan of unpaid labor?
Speaker 8: Does he? You know now that I'm in father's position, I'm not right? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 8: Yeah? I mean because well, I mean fathers do less and I wasn't aware of that. I maybe I am a fan of unpaid labor. Maybe I'm like, okay, yeah, you keep laboring. Wyah, I sit.
Speaker 3: Back, I'm father now. Yeah, yeah, it all makes sense. You're talking to your special about how your husband does all the laundry.
Speaker 8: You do none of it. You do none of it.
Speaker 3: He does all the labor in the house.
Speaker 8: It was a devastating day when we found that out. We weren't it wasn't we weren't trying to do it that way, by the way, like I wasn't trying not to do the laundry. I truly did not know. I hadn't been contributing for seven years.
Speaker 3: Seven years.
Speaker 8: And he didn't know either, Like we were both. I asked him. I was like, hey, which setting is the best? When I went to try to do laundry, and that's when he was like, wait, wait, hold on, have you have you not been doing the laundry this whole time? And I was shocked too. I was like, oh my god, it has been you. So it was you know, it wasn't on purpose? Sure, no, of course not.
Speaker 3: I respect it. I fully respect it. And I will tell you I have always identified more with the father side of parenting. I always say, if the world could look at me like a working dad, I'm an excellent father.
Speaker 8: Yes i am. I am a mid mother.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's very mediocre mother.
Speaker 3: So I appreciate what.
Speaker 8: This is.
Speaker 3: This is exactly right. Your special, however, is excellent. One of the things that I appreciate so much about it, there's this it's so beautiful and colorful. Between the fashion that you're wearing and the set decoration, there's like a whimsical feeling to it, but you go deep. You tell these really deeply emotional stories. Was it was it fun for you to get to play with that juxtaposian Yeah.
Speaker 8: I mean, you know, comedians we have also like we have a duality, right, Like to get to levity, there was sadness, you know, and so yeah, I wear bright colors and things like that, and same with my set. Right it's like, you know, it's a sunflower, you know, because what you wear during the day. I realized, like you know, you don't see actually for most of the day, it's other people seeing it, right, And it's kind of what I want to That's that's why I got into performing too, you know, is I want other people to feel good. And so yeah, yeah, it's definitely a duality that exists, you know for a reason.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you feel that watching your special, you your total open book about your family dynamic. You talk about, uh, your grandmother kidnapping you as a child, You talk about your mother's mental health struggles. You talk about being an undocumented immigrant in LA as a child.
Speaker 8: Just look at real, just super super.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 8: Well every day that go real easy read if it were a book, Yeah yeah, crazy true?
Speaker 9: Did you?
Speaker 3: Was it hard to have those conversations with your family about being that open?
Speaker 8: Well you know they not that they owe it to me, but when you put it out like that, I've told my family, I said, look undocumented, we lived in a garage for seven years and hiding. Mom has schizophrenia. You kidnapped me, grandma, I said, if you want it to be, if you wanted me to be a comedian.
Speaker 9: You.
Speaker 8: You you should have just told me. You could have just told me. I would be like, are you kidding? Yes? This was on purpose, right, Like my grandma's secretly my manager. She's like, she's like, this is a good story. She'll get on. It'll be perfect for Daily Show, This American Life. This is how you get on MPR.
Speaker 3: You're you are famous, but your grandma might rival your fame. Oh yeah, with your TikTok videos and your Instagram stories. Yeah, it's is family.
Speaker 8: Come on, she's a star. Oh yeah, yeah, I mean I mean also, you said she rapple with me. But can she throw vegetables into a cart with her butt? I don't know. I mean, I don't know.
Speaker 3: Is she the person you got your funny from?
Speaker 8: She is not. She's not. Honestly, I feel like I'm raising a kid in that she's learning funny is from me. Actually yeah, yeah, I mean she's silly, she's you know, I feel like she felt like she got the permission to finally be silly later in her life because she was always a caretaker. You know, she raised me. She looks after my mom still too, who has schizophrenia. And so, you know, when I was like, can we do these videos? Would you want to join? She's like, yes, are you serious? Really for real? Like, you know, and to see her like lightening up for the first time in her life that it's really cool, you know, like yeah, being like we could do this at a grocery store. Yeah, I can dance.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we should all be doing that at a grocery store. Yes, yes, yeah, actually my husband should be doing that at the grocery store because he's the one who does.
Speaker 8: All the shop.
Speaker 3: That's right, you should go get it on her.
Speaker 8: That's right. Give mother, Yeah, give mother a moment to have fun too.
Speaker 3: That's right, that's right. You you spoke about getting into comedy through watching Margaret Show DVDs as a kid, and then she crowned you as her heir recently, right right, New York Times Magazine. How did that feel?
Speaker 8: Oh my, oh it's great. I grew up watching her and now we're friends. And then now she's like, if you if someone were to replace me, you said, with this bull cut, So I feel like, I mean, it's kind of like a crown already, you know. I was like, I'm ready, I'm ready to girl, exactly right. You deserve it.
Speaker 3: I want to talk about your bowl cut, though, because you did it. I don't think you should change a thing. But you did talk about wanting to change your haircut, but that you can't because this is now your brand.
Speaker 8: Is that true? I mean yeah, kind of. I mean, does Dora the Explorer change her?
Speaker 9: You know what I mean?
Speaker 8: Does?
Speaker 3: I think? For the record, I think this suits you beautifully. But we did ask our graphics team to mock up a few just to spitball some ideas. So this is your gorgeous look as is.
Speaker 8: Okay, this beautiful bowl cut. Okay, okay, it scares.
Speaker 3: This is the Rachel cut.
Speaker 8: That that's scary. That is scary. Who is she?
Speaker 9: Uh?
Speaker 3: The Leslie Bibb White Lotus box that's giving.
Speaker 8: The only thing is so much forehead. I'm so shy.
Speaker 3: I'm so sure Rocket.
Speaker 8: I do think you forgot to join my third eye.
Speaker 3: This is my personal favorite. The Princess Leiah.
Speaker 8: Oh yes, oh my god, very much.
Speaker 3: I think you can. I think you're can pull any of them off. But I will tell you I I think you're what you're, what you've got going on right now is perfect.
Speaker 8: Should change a thing.
Speaker 3: Oh, you can think about anything. Major, congratulation everything. I'm so happy for you. Thank you for being here. Father premieres on Hulu June thirteenth.
Speaker 8: And for Morning.
Speaker 1: Rank right back up here.
Speaker 5: Did you ever play an instrument?
Speaker 4: I played, like very short periods of time, the flute.
Speaker 8: Would you believe it? Did you like it? I had flute lessons.
Speaker 4: That's the first person that ever asked me that crazy question.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I had flute, Could you believe it?
Speaker 4: I could have been a flutist.
Speaker 2: Explore more shows from the Daily Show podcast universe by searching the Daily Show wherever you get your podcasts Watch the Daily show weeknights at eleven ten Central on Comedy Central, and stream full episodes anytime on Paramount Plus.
Speaker 8: This has been a Comedy Central podcast