Speaker 1: It's podcast. Welcome to Meet Eater Trivia, the only game show where conservation always wins. I'm your host, Spencer Newhart, and today we're joined by Jannis Putellis, Rody Henderson, Randall Williams, Christine Sawicki, Ryan Callahan and Hillary Burn.
Speaker 2: Now, Hillary, this is your first.
Speaker 1: Time on the show, So tell folks what you do here at Meat Eater?
Speaker 2: Nickname Field the Burn.
Speaker 3: And Chester Floyd.
Speaker 2: Oh, and Chester Chester.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry you were a late addition to the show because we had someone else drop out. We're also joined by Chester Floyd. But now we're gonna hear from Hillary. Hey what she does here at meat Eater?
Speaker 2: Hi? Everyone, Hillary here? Okay, feel the Burn. I am the director of post production here at Meat Eater. So it's fun.
Speaker 1: Hillary. I don't want to put any extra pressure on you, but you're like the most requested media employee who had to be on the show. Jiannis texted me about it a few weeks ago. He brought it up again this morning. He says, Hey, when is Hillary gonna play? I also got an Instagram DM from your neighbor saying why hasn't Hillary been on the show now?
Speaker 2: So here we are well. Ah, that is because I know I will not be very good at this. You don't think so, come on, crush it all right now, Hillary.
Speaker 1: This is a ten round quiz show with questions for meat Eater's four verticals, which are hunting, fishing, conservation, and cooking, and there is a prize. Meat Eater will donate five hundred dollars to the conservation organization of the winners choosing and for the stat of the week this week, we're looking at the number six hundred. Honest, you know why the number six hundred might be significant, not at all. Six hundred is the number of questions that the suits here at Meat Eater asked me to make for the Meat Eater Trivia board game. And I said, suits, I don't think that's enough. So I didn't make six hundred. I didn't make seven hundred. I made eight hundred questions for the meat Eater Trivia board game. Wow, that's right, going the extra miles, extra mile listen. And I was actually going to go up to one thousand questions, but the factory finally stepped in and told me they couldn't fit another card in the box, so we settled that eight hundred and that's what you'll get when the board game comes out this.
Speaker 2: Fall, So that would be eighty games.
Speaker 1: Eighty games we have seven hundred and fifty are regular questions and fifty are tie breaker questions, so it could support seventy five games with fifty of those going to a tiebreaker.
Speaker 3: Are any of the questions in the board game ones that, like you're asking us now some board game?
Speaker 1: Some of them have been on the show, and some of them are brand new. And here's my vow to people who buy the game. I will not use any of the brand new questions on the show. Ever, So when you buy this and you get these hundreds of questions that you've never heard before on the show, they will stay in there. That's just for you ask for those questions that have been on the show. You know, we've learned chester doing this zero Percenter Question of the Week that people don't retain a lot of this information after the show is over, So I think they'll find it even fun to hear some of those again.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it's a good mix. It's a good strategy. Spencer, thank you.
Speaker 1: Now Here is our zero Percenter Question of the Week, which tests how much our players have retained from previous games. This question was from episode three seventy. The topic was woodsmanship, and nobody got it right.
Speaker 2: What is the.
Speaker 1: Phenomenon related to hypothermia victims in which bodies are found either partially or paradix dressing? Now, Brody, why didn't you have that answer the day we played?
Speaker 4: Because it just like I knew it, but it was not breaking through the wall.
Speaker 1: It came to you so cleanly today. Yeah, not last time. Now, the correct answer, you'll never forget it again, was paradoxical addressing. The incorrect answers given were tripping, hysteria and hyper hot tripping.
Speaker 5: Interesting stat for you too, the Montana Hunter safety video that they still play that involves paradoxical undressing, say a fly fishing guy going up.
Speaker 4: So if they'd find people and think they were victims of sexual abuse, they couldn't figure it out, you know.
Speaker 2: They found as much of a fun fact from Brody.
Speaker 4: I'm just telling you, like they didn't know what it was. There was a time when they didn't know what was going on.
Speaker 2: That key you said, they still play this video.
Speaker 1: Is it the one you think you watched when you were like eleven years old?
Speaker 2: Absolutely?
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, and I met the dude who's in it, and it was I think a University of Montana project, like collaboration with FWP. But I think that video is like in a lot of curriculum still, but it's I think somebody's fly fishing up and they fall in, they fill their waiters. It's like a nice spring summer ish day, and the more they walk, the more they get disoriented.
Speaker 2: And Hi Jinks and Sue.
Speaker 1: So when you watch that video and Hunter Safety, know that Cal watched the same one. That's right now for the housekeeping portion of today's show, I'm going to throw it to Phil, who has a PSA for us about show glitches. Phil sometimes get feedback from people saying the show skipped or cut off a few minutes early, and it doesn't seem to be limited to just Meat Eater Trivia or just one platform.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so I think this kind of started happening when we switch to a different ad sort of process and production called dynamic ad insertion, which is something that a lot of podcasts use these days, where you'll the ads will update and refresh based on your location or how many times a certain ad has played, or what the network thinks you might be interested in. And because of that, the file that we put online is constantly being there's different ads being plugged in and taken out and removed. So when you're listening to a podcast and it skips ahead fifteen seconds or skips back twenty seconds, and you're thinking, oh, it must be you, send me or Spencer an angry DM saying get your shit together.
Speaker 1: Mat at phil at it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that's right.
Speaker 6: That's just because I think the file will sometimes just change in the middle, and it'll change the length of the file, and your player doesn't really know how to react to that, so it just kind of jumps around. The way to fix that is is to download the file. So if you're just the kind of person who just hits the play button on your podcast player and listens to it without downloading the file onto your phone's hard drive, that'll open it up to maybe skipping around. But if you just download the file, every podcast player has an option to download it. That audio file is baked onto your phone or your computer high drive or whatever and can't change, and it won't skip around anymore.
Speaker 5: So you're saying user error. If you hit play, you're signing up for convenience, not quality.
Speaker 6: That's right, thank you, Cal.
Speaker 1: And we've tested this on a number of phones. It seems to always fix the problem.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: The iHeart download icon is a cloud with a down arrow. The Spotify download icon is a circle with a down arrow. For iTunes, you hit the three little buttons that trigger a drop down menu and then the first result is download episode. Should solve any show glitch problems. Now, the Shelby Index for today's round is a four, so our winner should get eight correct answers. And with that we're onto the game of trivia.
Speaker 2: Play the drop fill.
Speaker 1: Look, I need to know what I stand to win everything? How's that?
Speaker 2: Just tend to win everything?
Speaker 1: Demon Suckers? Question one? The topic is hunting. Which of these states killed the most white tails between twenty fourteen and twenty eighteen? Is it Missouri, Illinois, Oklahoma, or Nebraska? Which of these states killed the most white tails between twenty fourteen and twenty eighteen. Your four choices are Missouri, Illinois, Oklahoma, and Nebraska. Yanni, how many of those places? Four choices? Missouri, Illinois, Oklahoma, Nebraska. How many those places have you hunted?
Speaker 7: Deer?
Speaker 1: Yanni?
Speaker 2: I've hunted water in one of those places.
Speaker 1: Nebraska, Missouri, Illinois, Oklahoma, Nebraska. Does everybody have an answer?
Speaker 7: No?
Speaker 2: Who's doing artwork on the back of these things?
Speaker 1: It's a it's a mix of a lot of folks. My wife and I did a lot.
Speaker 5: We had had arts and crafts time I did, took them home at the new Hearth home, took them.
Speaker 1: Home, got not sober, and then we doodled on the back for an evening.
Speaker 2: Nice. That's awesome.
Speaker 1: Still a pizza, that would be my wife. Wow, that artwork, cal You're going to see that artwork in Meat Eater Trivia board game. Uh. The game comes with seven white boards and we wanted them to look like they came straight from the Meat Eater studio. So our graphics guy, Hunter Spencer, pulled these graphics literally from the back of our white boards that we play on, and they're I'm now on the back of the whiteboards that you'll get in the board game.
Speaker 5: Is this board game going to be available anywhere? Can I purchase that?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Meat Eater's store coming this fall. The go ahead and reveal your answer. We have Christine saying Illinois, Chester saying Illinois, Brody sang Missouri. Hillary sang Nebraska, cal saying Missouri, Randall saying Illinois, Giannis saying Illinois.
Speaker 2: I feel like they're all good answers.
Speaker 1: The correct answer is Missouri. Brody got it right, Calad right at sixth in the nation, Missouri is the only state from that list that's in the top ten for whitetail harvest. The five ahead of Missouri are Texas, Georgia, Michigan, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin. Those other three states, Illinois, Oklahoma, and Nebraska are places you can watch the Element crew chase white tails on their new show Buck Truck. New episodes are on Meat Eaters YouTube channel.
Speaker 5: Right now, we gotta talk about what's going on here right now, Like I feel Randall Williams and this like downward spirals just gonna say, and he just he he's been such a consistent winner. He's got one loss here and it's crushing him.
Speaker 1: I wish you could see his face right now. Randall started off the last game five for five and then I think he ended how many do you have? Right seven? At the eight eight. Yeah, couldn't quite pull it off, but.
Speaker 3: I mean I he had such a disappointed look on his face after that last question. I smiled at him and there was no emotion.
Speaker 8: As the stats prove, it's hard to recover from that important question.
Speaker 1: That first question, it's been done though, it's been done, I'm sure very recently by yours, truly. Yours question to the topic is conservation. This next great question comes to us via Adele Tabor. Adele asked for a shout out to the Mississippi State Wildlife Society Club. They won the Southeastern Conclave this year. Some big congrats to them. Here is Adele's question, what does see r P stand for? What does see r P stand for? Looks like Randall, Brody and Jannie are going to get this one right. Brody looks confident. Chester looks like he has a chance.
Speaker 2: Are there hints in this game? Okay?
Speaker 1: Yeah? The topic is conservation. This came to us via a Mississippi State Wildlife Society Club member. If that helps you at all? What does c r P stand for?
Speaker 2: Chester? Your family have cr I can't say anything more's gonna get.
Speaker 1: Hillary. How you doing over there? You have a chance?
Speaker 2: Chester?
Speaker 1: Are you good? No?
Speaker 3: I'm I'm so upset.
Speaker 1: The last time I saw you this upset was when we had the stop aquatic hitchhikers acronym.
Speaker 2: That really tore you up.
Speaker 1: Chester, We're looking for a clean, drained drive. You were quite bombed.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what do you Christine?
Speaker 2: Are you ready?
Speaker 7: Yep?
Speaker 1: Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Christine without an answer. Chester saying conservation restoration project. Brody's saying conservation reserve program. Hillary's saying conservation research program. Ryan saying conservation reserve program. Randall saying conservation reserve program. Jannis saying the same thing. They got it right. The correct answer is Conservation Reserve Program. Congress introduced CRP in nineteen eighty five when it passed the Farm Bill. It was created because of concerns about decreased wildlife habitat and increased soil erosion. There are about twenty million acres enrolled in CRP, making it one of the largest private land conservation programs in America.
Speaker 2: Doesn't that including some of Chester's families.
Speaker 1: It does. I think they keep the cap like right now it's around thirty million, and they're not at their camp. In the early days the cap was like forty million and they never hit.
Speaker 8: But it has a lot to do with like enrollment enrollment and doesn't like grain prices.
Speaker 1: I think crop rices are a big part.
Speaker 5: Yeah, commodities are are a big deal, right, because folks are trying to get cash out of the ground, and as those commodities swing, it becomes more tempting to swing into like a corn or a grain or whatever. But the CRP program, which is redundant. CRP is in the farm bill. Another great example as to why the farm bill matters to you hunters.
Speaker 1: Question three, the topic is cooking bone appetite defines this liquid as what you get when you simmer bones that still have meat on them in water. Again, the topic is cooking bone appetite defines this liquid as what you get when you simmer bones that still have meat on them in water.
Speaker 2: For the first time ever, I was asked this question just last week.
Speaker 1: Weird, yeh, did you get it right?
Speaker 2: You know? Okay?
Speaker 1: So so you don't think it's even going to help you here, No, not at all. Again, bone appetite defines this liquid as what you get when you simmer bones that still have meat on them in water. Is anybody confident in their answer?
Speaker 2: I'm leaving mine the way it is.
Speaker 1: Most folks look like they have a shot, but nobody is like, yep, I got this one.
Speaker 2: Literally, So what's the difference.
Speaker 6: I'm like, you're helping some folks out.
Speaker 2: It's all right. I mean, it's just a game.
Speaker 1: It's right, you know, Yanny, how we doing not?
Speaker 4: For Randall, it's not just a game.
Speaker 2: I've had a catastrophic eraser failure over here.
Speaker 5: Here's the conservation always went on. Sawm a happy camper in this room.
Speaker 1: Yanny, how we doing not great?
Speaker 2: I think we're kind of running out of time.
Speaker 1: Well it looks like the answer.
Speaker 4: I think, Sorry, just go a little longer.
Speaker 2: Now, I got Brody's ahead by one.
Speaker 1: I'm trying to well, this is question three.
Speaker 2: I need it.
Speaker 4: I feel like everyone needs a little extra time now.
Speaker 3: And then being a nice guy today.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, son of a buck.
Speaker 4: All right, now he's running out of times.
Speaker 2: All right, let's go.
Speaker 1: Let's go go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Chris say bone broth, Chester saying bone broth, Brody saying come, Hillary saying stock, Ryan saying bone broth, Randall saying broth. Yanni saying, as the correct answer is broth. If you said bone broth, we'll give it to you. Oh, you can have that.
Speaker 3: I thought for.
Speaker 1: The key difference between a stock and broth is that stock is made with bones, while broth is made with bones and meat. Both can include other ingredients like veggies, mushrooms, and herbs and spices, but a broth is the only one that has meat in it. They say that for most recipes that call for stock or broth, the two are interchangeable.
Speaker 2: Here's why the bull apetite.
Speaker 5: Where do you go to find completely meatless bones?
Speaker 1: It's tough if you wanted to argue that there's no argument.
Speaker 2: Where do you go? Name one place I want completely meatless bones?
Speaker 1: All off? So broth question four. The topic is fishing. This is our listener question of the week, which was won by Don Hansburger for sending this great question. Don is going to win a book signed by Steve. This was declared America's founding fish because it fed George Washington's army while they were camped on a Delaware River tributary. Okay, this was declared America's founding fish because it fed George Washington's army while they were camped on a Delaware River tributary.
Speaker 2: I know exactly to be specific.
Speaker 1: If you think the answer is their black lab you could just say labrador.
Speaker 2: That's not a fish. I don't that's a hint.
Speaker 1: So this was declared America's founding fish because it had George Washington's army while they were camped on a Delaware River tributary. Do you still have a problem with more?
Speaker 3: See the fire in his eyes?
Speaker 2: This might be Spencer's last game.
Speaker 1: The last time we had a big fallout was the Marlins salefish.
Speaker 4: Uh ye think that kind of directions direction.
Speaker 3: The fish questions coming?
Speaker 1: Does everybody have an answer?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I like to just leave them all on there and cross out your previous Go ahead and reveal your answer.
Speaker 1: We have Christine saying catfish, Chester saying Shad, Brody saying Shad, Hillary saying perch, Ryan saying Shad, Randall saying Shadd, Giannis saying Shad. They got it. The correct answer is shadd. There's a very specific type of Shad that fed his army. So American Shad is what they say. But if you read some accounts, they'll all say that that's also when Hickory Shad would have been running the river. So when they called something, when they call something, America's founding fish. They're talking about American shad, But as for the shad run that happened, some say they were probably Hickory shad as well. Washington's army was camped at Valley Forge in the winter of seventeen seventy eight during a food shortage. Soldiers would often go days without eating, leaving the army on the brink of starvation. But that all changed when shad started migrating up the Delaware River in biblical proportions. According to legend, the soldiers netted thousands of pounds of shad, which got them through their winter famine.
Speaker 2: Excavated shad bones at Valley Forge. Yep, that's fun.
Speaker 1: They got a lot of those those shad.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a lot of bones.
Speaker 1: Question five. The topic is woodsmanship. Name one of the three states with the most fatal snake bites since the year two thousand. Name one of the three states with the most fatal snake bites since the year two thousand.
Speaker 2: Fatal Wow.
Speaker 1: Room is slow to answer this one. Look torn again. Topic is woodsmanship. Name one of the three states with the most fatal snake bites since the year two thousand. Hillary with the quickest answer Hillary, are you going to get this one out of how many? Do you say? One out of three states?
Speaker 2: Forty eight states?
Speaker 3: In contention to the probably can't answer this. Humans are like it's like dogs humans.
Speaker 1: It's not ye not cottontail rabbits would change your answer.
Speaker 2: No, I'm just curious kangaroo rats.
Speaker 1: How do you feel about your answer? Chester? You have a chance, Yeah, I probably have a chance.
Speaker 3: It's a gas.
Speaker 1: But are you satisfied with your answer?
Speaker 2: No, I'm not playing math.
Speaker 1: Christine, are you ready go ahead and reveal your answer? We have Christine saying Texas. Chester, You're saying Florida. Brody's saying Arizona. Hillary sang New Mexico, cal saying Texas, Randall saying Texas. Giannis San Texas. The three states are Georgia, Texas, and Florida.
Speaker 7: Ooh.
Speaker 1: Chester.
Speaker 2: Georgia is first.
Speaker 1: In America with six fatal snake bites in the last twenty three years. That's followed by Texas with five and Florida with four. Kentucky actually led the nation in fatal snake bites in the nineteen nineties with three such events. In each instance, the victim was handling the snake during a religious service. Melinda Brown was killed by a rattlesnake during a snake handling service in nineteen ninety five. Her husband, John Wayne Brown died the same exact way three years later.
Speaker 4: You're talking about single digits. It's so low that's not really that significant no matter what state it is.
Speaker 3: Just goes to show you.
Speaker 1: Mexico, Bill, we are halfway through the game of trivia. Give us a scoreboard update.
Speaker 2: But it's like one of the least populated states. So that's it feel to burn.
Speaker 6: You've got Hillary with zero points in the last place right in the caboose. We've got Christine coming up next with two points. Jannis, Chester and Brody all have three points. Randall has four. Ryan Callahan is in first place with the perfect game five.
Speaker 1: It's happened last game to question six. The topic is public land. This next great question comes to is via Nathan Ron. If you have a question you think is right for med Eater Trivia, you can send it to trivia at the medeater dot com. What federal agency manages national seashores and national lake shores? What federal agency manages national seashores and national lake shores? Brody with the quickest answer in the room, Brody, are you confident?
Speaker 4: Kind of yeah?
Speaker 1: I just had a gut feeling. Didn't know it though? Again, what federal agency manages national seashores and national lake shores? Randall? You also had a quick answer. Do you think you have this one? Have it too in mind? Has anybody visited a national seashore or national lakeshore that they're aware of?
Speaker 4: I think there's one on Padre Island in Texas.
Speaker 1: I think that's gonna help you.
Speaker 4: It's not gonna change my answer.
Speaker 2: Chincatigue Island?
Speaker 1: Is that one?
Speaker 2: A lot of wild horses there, gonna have a good guess?
Speaker 1: Does everybody have an answer?
Speaker 7: No?
Speaker 1: I do not.
Speaker 2: You know that we have a lot of dog food? Say that again, cal if wishes were ponies, we'd have a lot of dog food. Do we not have a lot of dog food? Well, we have more, we would have more.
Speaker 1: Okay, Chester, how we doing?
Speaker 3: Not good?
Speaker 1: Charine?
Speaker 2: Terrible?
Speaker 1: Are we ready?
Speaker 2: What's terrible is unregulated wild horses? Described? Hillary?
Speaker 1: How we doing?
Speaker 2: I'm good? I just there's I don't know. Go ahead and reveal your answers.
Speaker 1: We have Christine saying d N R. Chester saying, Department of Natural Resources, go to you, saying National Park Service. Hiller saying National Park Service, Cal saying bo R. Randall saying National Park Service. Jannis saying BLM. The correct answer is National Park Service. Throws Cal's perfect game out the window. The National Seashore System was established in the nineteen thirties, and the National Lakeshore System became an extension of that in the nineteen sixties. There are ten National Seashores and four National Lakeshores. The goal of these areas is to create places for public recreation and protect them from development. Question seven, the topic is wildlife. This is a visual question. If you want to see what the room is seeing, then go to Instagram and check out at Spencer Newhart. I'll make it my most recent post. Now, I am going to show the room a thirty second clip that was used to promote a nineteen ninety six documentary. Here's the prompt. The suit this man is wearing was designed to withstand an attack from what animal.
Speaker 7: To prove his theory that the suit does in fact work hurt you, bees risked his life and put it through test after test. First, he shot the suit with a twelve gage shotgun. Then he launched a three hundred pound log dead center towards his chest.
Speaker 2: Is that dedication or is he simply nuts? And if that's not.
Speaker 7: Crazy enough, he had a three ton truck ram right into him at a speed of thirty miles per hour. Well, he was having so much fun he decided to toss himself down a ravine.
Speaker 2: All this without a scratch.
Speaker 1: Oh that's great.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, that hadn't hurt jew for sure.
Speaker 2: You're live. Wait till you hear the little follow up. Yeah, it's very interesting.
Speaker 1: Again the prompt here is the suit this man is wearing was designed to withstand an attack from what animal? Yanna? You know this one? Yes, Randall, you know this one? Cal you know this one?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 1: Yes, sir Oka, Brody you know this one? Who has seen this documentary? Randall, Cal and Brody. Okay, it's everybody ready, go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Christine saying grizzly chess. You're saying grizzly, Brody's saying grizzly, grizzly, grizzly. Everybody said grizzly bear, and everybody got it right, Well done. I had no idea, But that man was Troy Hurt You Beast, and he was filming the documentary Project Grizzly. His goal was to make a grizzly proof suit, which he modeled after RoboCop and spent one hundred and fifty thousand dollars building. Hurt You Beat doesn't test it on a bear in the film, but did get a chance five years later when he locked himself in a cage with a Grizzly. The bear was actually too scared to attack, bringing him to the conclusion that the suit needed to look more human. Well, didn't he try to get attack, but he was to get into places where bears were. Yeah, so I think his uh, his biggest issue was they went to the Rockies in October to try to find a bear to attack him, and they never found a bear.
Speaker 4: And wasn't my correction, wasn't his inspiration for building the suit the fact that he had gotten attacked by a bear.
Speaker 1: It was that he wanted to be study bear. He wanted to study them up close, and so that was the whole deal with the suit.
Speaker 4: And then he couldn't get one to attack, couldn't get one.
Speaker 5: But he had one scary night in a tent that's written about in Night of the Grizzly where he has a twenty two on him and he fills his tent full of twenty two holes perforates his tent rather and.
Speaker 2: It has done that.
Speaker 8: The point of the whole point of the documentary thing is like he thought. I think he believed that this was a very serious documentary. Yes, him, and I don't think the people who are filming it felt the same way.
Speaker 1: Now he was. He was very upset that he was made to look like the silly Canadian who built the robocopsuit to get attacked.
Speaker 2: But I just don't go outside.
Speaker 1: That was his whole shtick as an inventor, Like he wanted to invent a suit that he begged them to drop him in the middle of Afghanistan during the war and was like, just let let me do it like I'll it's uh, my ass is on the line, and I want to prove to you how uh you know warproof this suit is that he built. And I think he went bankrupt multiple times with these crazy inventions.
Speaker 2: Sounds fun though.
Speaker 1: Question eight the topic is biology. This next great question comes to is via Kelsey Blaha. If you have a question you think is right for meat Eater Trivia. You can send it to trivia at the meadeater dot com. It'd be fun to drive that truck.
Speaker 2: Why then be scared? That's your takeaway from that?
Speaker 1: What continent is the venus fly trap native to? Again? The topic is biology. What continent is the venus fly trap native to? Randall? You look the most confident, but not even very confident. Are you gonna get this one right? How many are there to choose from?
Speaker 2: See it still seven?
Speaker 1: Okay? Again? What continent is the venus fly trap native to?
Speaker 2: My mom bought me one of these when I was a kid.
Speaker 1: How'd that go? And?
Speaker 2: I think we were in Billings at the time. Oh they're sweet, man, They're super cool.
Speaker 1: Brody, how are we doing?
Speaker 4: I haven't written anything down yet.
Speaker 1: This is question eight. We will get a scoreboard update from Phil after this is everybody ready, go ahead and reveal your answer. We have Christine saying South America. Chest you're saying South America, Brody saying South America, Hillary saying South America, cal and Randall saying South America. Yannis sang North America.
Speaker 2: Because we have pitcher plants and fly traps in Florida. Correct.
Speaker 1: The correct answer is North America.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: Most don't realize that the exotic looking venus flytrap is actually native to North America. Although they're cultivated around the world, their native range is just a small area in North and South Carolina. The plants are heavily protected, and in twenty fourteen it became a felony to poach them. Their populations have been in decline due to habitat loss and fire suppression.
Speaker 2: So reason North Carolina connection comes through.
Speaker 1: So you knew that one for certain.
Speaker 2: I've seen him in the wild and really and so I just thought that probably that was right.
Speaker 1: It's amazing. I love that they're native to you still fingers mm hmm, Phil. We have two questions left. Where does the scoreboard stand?
Speaker 6: It's a pretty good game, I think. Okay, so Hillary and Christine are the only two who are technically out, but please continue to play. Then we have Chester with four points, Brody and Giannis with five, and Callen Randall are tied up with six points in first place.
Speaker 1: Two questions left.
Speaker 2: To take a big swing here.
Speaker 1: The topic is cooking. Southern Living declared this the official sandwich of Louisiana, which can be made with red meat, white meat, or seafood. Change Southern Living declared this the official sandwich of Louisiana, which can be made with red meat, white meat, or seafood.
Speaker 2: Hillary, I already have.
Speaker 1: Confident room except for Yanni and Christine.
Speaker 2: My track coach called me burner really sweet. That's great. Different connotations as you get older, Yes, yeah, yeah, depending on where.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yanni, how we doing over here?
Speaker 2: I'm gonna go with my gut.
Speaker 1: Everybody ready, go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Christine without an answer. The rest of the room said po boy, and they got it right. The correct answer was po boy. The po Boy sandwich was invented in Louisiana in the nineteen twenties. The original version was made with fried potatoes and sliced roast beef, but other iterations use chicken, shrimp, oysters, and more. Cross If you want to learn how to make one, then go to the mediater dot com and check out our recipe called catfish pole Boy.
Speaker 2: Phil, how are we doing on the scores? Cal you gotta take that spencer.
Speaker 1: I'm perfectly happy with it.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 6: Well, now it's Strandle and col still in first place with seven points, and Jannis and Brody have six.
Speaker 2: We're still playing.
Speaker 1: Chance tiebreaker.
Speaker 2: Question ten.
Speaker 1: The topic is conservation. Game Ardens from two states are the focus of Animal Planets Show, north Woods Law name one of those states.
Speaker 2: That ain't gonna change anything.
Speaker 6: Game.
Speaker 1: Ardans from two states are the focus of Animal Planets Show, north Woods Law. Name one of those states. Brody, you're very confident in your answer.
Speaker 2: Have you seen this show?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: But I'm like, you're just going You're just going by north Woods the cat Glory's television conservation You're so, I think, so.
Speaker 1: Cal do you have this?
Speaker 2: I have no idea.
Speaker 5: I've never never seen the show, but I do I am aware of several states where these shows have been filmed.
Speaker 2: Tell the question again?
Speaker 1: Is the question again? Game? Wardens from two states are the focus of Animal Planets Show, north Woods Law name one of those states.
Speaker 2: Randall has seen several films on the subject. I know episodes.
Speaker 1: You watched the show, rand Same, Yeah, not, I mean not recently. It's not a favorite, Janny, how do you feel about your an.
Speaker 2: Educated guests?
Speaker 1: Spencer, is everybody ready? Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Christine saying Texas, Chester saying Montana, Brody saying Maine, Hillardy Say saying Montana, Cal sang Maine, Randall sayg Maine. Jannis sang Maine. The two states are New Hampshire and Maine, which means we're going to a tiebreaker. Cal and Randall are tied at eight points a piece.
Speaker 3: So they used to have it with a lot of Montana game.
Speaker 1: Well, no, that's a different show that's on the Outdoor Network. I believe it's called Wardens, which is in Montana.
Speaker 2: And then they're troopers up in Alaska.
Speaker 1: Right, It's like Alaska State Troopers, and that's that's that's beyond the scope of just hunting and fishing violations. But yeah, it's similar kind.
Speaker 5: When I went out to Shiloh Pond for our land Access initiative, I met with Warden out there, who was featured on north Woods Law.
Speaker 3: Were you featured on the show?
Speaker 2: No, you can't see my hands in my back.
Speaker 1: The north Woods Law started in twenty twelve and completed its sixteenth season in twenty twenty one. The beginning of the series focuses on Maine, while the latter half is shown in New Hampshire. It also inspired a spin off show called Lone Star Law, which was filmed in Texas from twenty sixteen to twenty twenty.
Speaker 4: I wonder do those fishing game departments get compensated for doing those shows, like you'd think they would have to.
Speaker 2: I bet I think would have to think some way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're onto our tiebreaker. Play the tiebreaker, drop phil type breaker last.
Speaker 6: I think just cut it at if you ain't first your last, and then like going to other stuff.
Speaker 1: It's funny.
Speaker 2: I never liked it a Phil off man.
Speaker 4: Are we did the communist rule get tossed out.
Speaker 1: So here's what we determined we're going to do. Everyone in the room should still play along, and if somebody hits it right on the nose, we will add an extra hundred dollars donation at the end of the show.
Speaker 2: Here's the question again.
Speaker 1: We're down to Cal and Randall. The topic is fishing. This will be a numerical question. Whoever is closest between the two will be declared the winner.
Speaker 2: I've gotten zero percent of name this fishing lure questions?
Speaker 1: What percentage of I g f A records have been caught by women who what percentage ultiple IGF A records have been caught by women?
Speaker 2: Decimal point?
Speaker 1: Go to a decimal point. What percentage of I g f A records have been caught by women? Again, we're down to Cal and Randall. The rest of the room is going to play along to see if we can add an extra hundred dollars to this donation.
Speaker 2: This is a real, real pr issue right here is what's what's the problem? Cal?
Speaker 5: Well, I mean, I'm gonna be like, oh, I know many damn fine female anglers out there.
Speaker 1: I noticed you have to come up with Cal. Are your answer from Cal quite visible?
Speaker 2: Neither of them thinking in our own separate ways. If neither of us answer refused, can we get.
Speaker 1: Another percentage of I g f A records have been caught by women?
Speaker 2: They don't have gender specific cat like a men's large mouth and a women's large mouth.
Speaker 1: Not giving any hints about this, questions what percentage of I g f A records have been caught by women?
Speaker 2: Well? How up to date is this?
Speaker 5: Because I just saw something with a lady with a giant bass from Texas today?
Speaker 1: You think that might sway it?
Speaker 4: New world record potential, new world record.
Speaker 2: Lake trout got caught in Colorado, So I guess those two. So that is out. These two players have still not came up with an answer.
Speaker 1: Let's just my math, Randal, how are we doing?
Speaker 2: Randall thinks it's a trick question. No, I just I don't even know where to start.
Speaker 4: Does anybody know how start a number between one and one hundred?
Speaker 2: What's today's date?
Speaker 5: Good question, Cal, how's your answer? Okay, yeah, based off of what I know. Meat eaters metrics are.
Speaker 1: Randall? Do you have an answer? Yes, go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Christine saying three percent, Chester is saying twenty two point seven percent, Brody saying nine point four percent, Hillary saying twenty three point three, Jannis saying ten point one, and the two competitors left. We have Cal saying eleven point five, Randall saying twenty nine point eight. One of you is within one percentage point of the correct The winner is Randall. The correct answer was twenty nine percent.
Speaker 2: God, you have no idea how much it means to me.
Speaker 1: That number is in alignment with what you'd expect. Given that about thirty one percent of anglers are women, that's just a two percent difference between the representation on the water and in the record book.
Speaker 5: I was at a conservation fundraiser deal last weekend and a fella came up to me. I was like, you gotta start doing better at trivia, and I said, man, you just don't understand that there's people in the room who have a noticeable palpable physical need to win. Who at one of those people?
Speaker 1: Who are those people? Cal?
Speaker 2: Well, they reveal themselves from Come on, Cal time to time.
Speaker 3: Steve Brody and Randall?
Speaker 1: Randall, you get to choose where the five hundred dollars donation goes. So what's it going to be?
Speaker 2: How about the land access to initiative?
Speaker 1: Okay, we haven't given to them in a while. Yeah, Cal, how is the LAI doing in twenty twenty three?
Speaker 5: We still got some cash in the pot, which is sweet. And yeah, there's there's plenty of projects so also have access to a bunch of matching funds, which is really interesting.
Speaker 1: So it's great.
Speaker 2: Fine, we can turn our seventy into a couple million, probably.
Speaker 1: Projects in Maine and Montana. So far we'll have a third project what at the end of this year, beginning of next year? Yeah, yeah, more on that soon. Join us next time for more meat Eatter Trivia, the only game show where conservation always wins.
Speaker 2: Thanks Spencer, good game, Randall,