Speaker 1: Good morning, peeps, and welcome to look app Daily with Meet your Girl. Daniel Moody back recording from the Home Bunker, folks.
Speaker 2: Happy New Year to all of you.
Speaker 1: I hope that you were able to get some much needed rest, restoration, relaxation, joy over the holiday break. I hope that you were able to take a break over the holiday as I am so grateful that I was able to do so. And I hope that you enjoyed the shows that we had pre recorded and left for you. That I am happy to be back, well, let me be honest, I'm happy to be back in conversation with you all. I'm not happy to be back in the news cycle. Let me start off by just sharing some personal news which has really colored my perspective as of late. A really good friend of mine, a very dear friend who if you have been listening to my show throughout the years, Rissy kat Iabo Okaday, passed away from cancer. And she was young and an amazing and beautiful friend that I was very fortunate to have in my life for over a decade and I am still very much reeling from the grief of that loss. Why do I bring that up for all of you, because what I have experienced personally and what we are seeing just on such a hat eclysmic stage, is that life is really fucking fleeting, right, whether it is lost through disease, through accident, through war, We're not promised time. And I think that what reorients us during death, whether it is individual or in mass like we are experiencing in Gaza, is a sense of real instability, real shake up, but also like a reorienting around what is exactly what exactly is important? Right? And what I can tell you all is that I am in a place of struggle, and I'm gonna be very honest about that. I am in a place of struggle in terms of reconciling the absolute fucking bullshit that I'm seeing with you know, Republicans, let me impeach this person and force this person to resign. And you know how very wealthy white conservatives are so fucking aggrieved that they can't have open conversation or people of color in any positions of power. So they will force them out right. They will do away with diversity, equity and inclusion. They will come out as the Lulaman founder did and say, you know, we don't want certain people in our stores, and just this depravity, right, this fucking greed, this gross sense of entitlement, and the purposeful miseducation under education of people, and the celebration of ignorance, of violence and of lives. And when I lost my friend who spent her life in so many different facets as an African American studies professor, as an English professor, as a cultural architect, managing many different artists and DJs and just musicians and brilliant Black creatives that she was, and just putting out beauty and creating community, right, particularly for black people, because we know that anytime that Black people have found themselves throughout history trying to create community, advocate, build, you know, white supremacy destroys it.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: And so when I'm looking at these people now who find themselves in a space of being so fucking aggrieved, why because you didn't build the skills necessary in order to compete, and everyone else who didn't have a clear pathway have more skills than you do, that you look for any little bit of flaw, as they did with Claudine Gay, to say, oh, well, there's plagiarism in a fucking thesis that wasn't like a bound book to go out for publishing. So we're fucking serious here. It's like every time that people from marginalized communities learn the game, win at the game, they fucking changed the rules. And what I have found is that I'm just exhausted, right Like I'm exhausted by it all. I'm just emotionally spent, right like I am tired of trying to find ways to wake up people's consciousness, to wake people up to their power, right to want to find ways in your lives to resist against oppressive forces. I'm tired, right And when I look around and I see that my friend is now gone at the age of fifty one, I think to myself, how do I want to spend my time and my days. It's sure as fuck is not banging my head against the wall, stuck inside of a system that I've entered into twenty some odd years ago because I wanted to be a change maker, because I wanted to help government, this antiquated system of government that was never built for people like me, like many of you listening. I wanted to help expand opportunities, expand the table, create room in this multiracial democracy, and I got to tell you that, you know, I was naive because I believe that everything was just about moving forward, that we would never in a million years find ourselves just hanging on for dear life.
Speaker 2: You see, I.
Speaker 1: Come back and in one no cycle shooting, high school shooting, Supreme Court allowing for there to be one of the most egregious abortion band laws to take effect, disallowing right for doctors to perform abortions in the case of an emergency. This was never about life because you're willing to kill women because the Republican Party only sees people with uteruses as fucking incubators right for their future maca supremacy clan. That's what they give a fuck about. They don't care about women. They don't even care about their own white women. Right. This is what I tell white women all the time who are linked up with their white conservative husbands and boyfriends and fathers, right, is what the fuck up? Your proximity to their perceived power is not going to save you. As a matter of fact, they are put you on the butcher block. They're having you weight out in parking lots. They see you as nothing more right than being an incubator for their MAGA movement because you see it when white, straight, cisc Christian fascist men here that demographics are shifting, what comes up for them is that we need.
Speaker 2: To have more of us. How do you have more of us?
Speaker 1: Well, especially when you have created an economic climate that doesn't actually you know, worried people wanting to have more kids, or people being able to afford houses or do any of these types of things. And why is that. It's not because of Joe Biden's policies. It's because of the ways that Republicans, particularly the last president, provided more tax cuts to the fucking wealthy so that they can hoard power and wealth at the top. So, when you've created the economic conditions for a scarcity mindset, and then you think that what people, women in particular, are gonna just have a bunch of babies. No, you have to find a way to force them to do so. So you overturn Roe v.
Speaker 2: Wade.
Speaker 1: This has been about doing a killing two birds with one stone. Right, you can criminalize abortion and put a bunch of black and brown women away. The wealthy white ones for the time being will be able to fly to New York or to other abortions sanctuary places until right, the Republicans take control of the executive branch in this next election and win back the White House and the House and the Senate, and then there will be no safe space for women or people with uteruses in this country. But on one hand, they get to criminalize black and brown women and throw them in jail, which they just did in Ohio, right, and then on the other hand they get to kill a bunch of women and then the other ones they force into motherhood. Folks, when you look at everything as I have to on a daily basis, I got to tell you, I'm like, fuck it. You know, it isn't about taking a vacation to be honest, right, because there is no amount of vacation that is going to provide me with the energy and the clarity that is necessary to move forward over the next ten months. Like, we are in a bad place and I can't lie to you and say like, oh, things will get better.
Speaker 2: All you have to do is vote. Yeah, voting is important.
Speaker 1: But also I understand that there are people that don't want to vote for Joe Biden. Why because he's aiding in a bedding Right, the murder, the mass murder of tens of thousands of people in Gaza, tens of thousands of Palestinians. How do you justify that? How do you come out and say that you're fighting for American democracy while you are funding murder? I don't fucking know, folks, the mental gymnastics that I am being forced to do on a regular basis, I can't justify this shit. So that's not what I'm going to do. Right, I'm not going to justify what I know in my heart and all of you that listen to me know is absolutely and fundamentally wrong. The only thing that I can say in this moment in time is that as bad as things are, I want you to understand that they can always get fucking worse. Right, we're looking at the overturning not only of affirmative action check Roe v. Wade, Check right? What about Brown versus the Board of Education? Because they completely want to defund education anyway. So what will be left behind will be the wealthy whites that can afford to put their kids in private school and get private tutors, so you don't have to worry about their education. You just have to worry about the ninety percent that they want to force. Right, into an economic cast system that they'll never be able to move out of because education has always been the way that people do that. So if we go a head, right and we say that, well, Brown versus the Board of Education was really going against parents' rights, you think that this sixty three court isn't going to overturn it.
Speaker 2: Think about consumer.
Speaker 1: Protection laws that have happened, right, you think that they won't overturn those? What about Obamacare? What about the ability folks to absolutely and totally decide not to hire people because you don't like them, because you don't like the way they look, because you're uncomfortable. Right, again, these are all things that prior to a number of court cases over the last sixty years, have fundamentally changed our society and created more access and more opportunity to black people, to people of color, to women, to queer people, right to people of different religious affiliations. We're looking at sixty years right where rapid progress took place, and in oh, I don't know, in eight they have rolled back a number of them that will completely and totally change the direction of this country. So I can't tell you, folks that Biden is your guy or to be enthusiastic and jump up and down. What I can say is that as bad as things are, they can absolutely get worse, with absolutely no hope whatsoever of being able to turn it around. Not in your lifetime and not in your child's lifetime. That's what I can say. And for those people that will tell me to stop fearmongering, and why don't I go do this? And why do I go do that? Go with God. I don't give a fuck. If your mind is already made up, I'm not trying to convince you. But if you, like me, are lacking the energy and the enthusiasm it takes right now to want to fight for this country that you are seeing go down the tubes, just know you are not alone. I came back from break. I turned on the news for thirty minutes on my first day back, and I wanted to throw my remote control through the fucking screen. I wanted to pack my bags, circle a fucking country on the globe and pack and get the fuck out of here, because what's in front of us honestly seems insurmountable.
Speaker 2: I'm not gonna bullshit you.
Speaker 1: I'm not I'm not gonna tell you it's gonna be easy. I'm not gonna tell you that everything is gonna be okay. I'm not going to tell you that Donald Trump is going to be convicted before any of this happens, because I don't believe any of that to be true. I believe that if, by the grace of fucking God and the universe, Biden is able to squeak out a fucking win, that will absolutely be adjudicated a thousand fucking times, because the only election that those motherfuckers will believe in is the one that Donald Trump wins. That if, by the grace of fucking God, we are able to hold on to democracy, then we can talk about what is next. But also know that by the time that we get to November, there may be a million fucking people in Gaza that are dead. I don't know what to say. I don't know what to say about that. It makes me sick to my fucking stomach.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I am struggling as a human being to rationalize any of the fucking madness that is going on, any of it. All I keep telling myself is that Donald Trump becomes president, I am gone off the air because I am not going to continue. I will tell you this right now, right like, because I've been wondering, I've been wanting to ask myself this question. I've been reflecting, I've been journaling, I've been meditating and praying. I will do whatever it takes to get myself and my family out of this country. This country will not be safe, and nor is any worse safe. Right people say safety is an illusion, blah blahlah blah, But I can tell you that the illusion has worked for many of us for quite some time. Why because we're still here. Do I know that every time that there is a hashtag a person that has turned into a hashtag because they had a phone that the cop thought was a gun, or they were eleven in playing but the cop thought there were twenty one and killed them, or you know any of those things. Do I know how fucking dangerous this country is for black people, for queer people, for anybody that is not white, siss straight and Christian fascists? Yes, I do absolutely fucking know that, and I also know that it will get one hundred and fifty thousand times worse. And I'm not going to be willing to stay here on the front lines.
Speaker 2: No, I am not. So we have ten months.
Speaker 1: We have ten months to decide if twenty twenty four is going to be our last selection.
Speaker 2: You have ten months to decide.
Speaker 1: If you have kids, if you have grandkids, if you have you know, cousins, nieces, nephews, right, if you're voting for their future, right, their possibility, or you're voting against it, or not voting at all, or voting third party, which might as well be voting against it. I am not telling you to vote for Joe Biden. I'm telling you to vote for your safety, for yourself, right.
Speaker 2: That's it. That's it. So you know, it is.
Speaker 1: Day ten of this new year, and I will tell you that I'm absolutely grateful for you all that continue to rock with me, you know, shout out to my patrons that continue to support me. What I will say as a way to put out more joy into the world is that I am reworking the tears at Patreon to offer you more ways to build community with me and with each other. So that information will be coming out in the next couple of weeks. I'm also working on merchandise. I know it's a long time overdue. T shirts, toats, you know, all of that type of stuff. Let me know what you guys would like to see. If you're on Patreon and watching this video, let me know in the comment section. Otherwise, hit me up on threads on Instagram. But that will be coming out because folks, you know, community matters, taking care of each other matters, and I just don't want to be the consistent bearer of bad news. I also want to offer you food for thought. I also want to offer you moments of joy and reflection. I don't want to just be the rage machine. It's not good for me and it's not good for you. So you know we will get through these months together, and it will not be easy, right, and so I'm going to find ways to also make it joyful. I am also finishing a book proposal this month, and you know, God willing, this time next year, you will be cracking open a book with my name on it. So I'm excited about that. Hold fast to your joy, create moments of ease, love each other right because the time that you have very short, very very short. That is it for me today, dear friends, on woke a f as always Power to the people and to all the people.
Speaker 2: Power, get woke and stay woke as fuck.