Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: Men's bids last night, McNee State, American University, and Montana no bids tonight. We are bidless tonight Thursday night, Thursday afternoon. A couple other items here. Mac Jones is going to the forty nine ers. So that was the Patriots to Jacksonville to now the forty nine ers. Still awaiting what the number is going to be for brock Perty It'll start with a five. I was told this yesterday that Geno Smith going to the Raiders. Gino Smith is going to get a new contract or at least an extension where Geno Smith might be making at least forty five million dollars. So while we look at this where the Raiders did well, they got Geno Smith, they got some stability, it's going to cost them. Now we look at what Sam Darnold signed for. Now that's a bargain because fifty five million guaranteed out of a three or one hundred million dollar deal, you might have him for twenty seven and a half million dollars. I'll take that. You can start to rebuild your roster.
Speaker 3: There.
Speaker 2: As for the Raiders, because the franchise tag is around forty one million dollars. Geno Smith is probably going to get a forty five million. You know, maybe it's two years ninety million, but Gino Smith's gonna get paid by the Raiders from what I'm told. All Right, Well, come up with a poll question, Play of the day, stat of the day. Watch some basketball. Last night, the Thunder beat the Celtics. They're now fifty four and twelve. And this is one of those games where you couple that with Denver losing at home to Minnesota SGA once again strengthening that MVP resume. The NBA find the Utah Jazz. Now I'm watching this story and I'm going I'm curious about this because Laurie Markinen, who is an All Star, he has sat out nine games. The NBA officially announced yesterday a one hundred thousand dollars fine for the Utah Jazz for sitting him out of the team's games. Now, like I said, being an All Star, now you're the focus of the NBA. They want to make sure that you're going to be playing, and they call them star players. Teams can be fined for star players, defined as any player who made an NBA All Star game over the course of the last three seasons. And if you miss games, let's say you miss games nationally televised the NBA Cup games, or if a team representative says one thing about a player's absence while the official injury report says another. I was curious if Laurie Markinen was injured, Well, apparently he's not. Long term star players shut down or near shut down, which is defined as a star player stops playing or, in the judgment of the league office, begins to play in a materially reduced role, and this would affect the integrity of the game Marketan has missed the Jazz last nine games due to a lower back injury, but is generally understood to be healthy and ready to play. Okay, he's got aw who's the one who determined that he has a lower back injury. How do you prove that he doesn't have a lower back injury? And then who's the person who said, no, he's healthy and ready to play. If the league were to find the Jazz guilty of violating the policy a second time, it would be two hundred and fifty thousand dollars. A third offense would be one point two five million dollars. Each subsequent offense increases by a million dollars. After the fine was announced, Larie Markinen was made available to play in the Jazz game against the Medicals. They're obviously tanking. They would love to get Cooper flag in Utah, But I don't know how that works. If somebody says, hey, we want you to sit down, like the competitor, I would I would be like, no, hey, we really need you to sit down. Yeah, but I'm healthy. Yeah, but for the good of the team, Can you sit out nine games with a lower back injury? And do they use the air quotes when they tell him You've got what's wrong with me? You've got a lower back injury? I do, Yes, You're gonna sit out for nine games.
Speaker 4: That's the stomach ache of school. You can't prove your stomach.
Speaker 5: Then yeah, yes, don And what goes into and or who's the panel in the league office that in the judgment of the league office and generally understood to be helping ready to play? Those are very vague terms that could use some more explanation.
Speaker 2: We did ask the League office, who's the one investigating this? Do you have an independent physician who flies all over the country like all right, Lebron, bring out the groin, let me see it, yes, Bowen.
Speaker 6: The Jazz are fifteen to fifty one. Since they started not starting Lari market In, they've lost nine of their last ten games, and their odds are increasing every day. When you look at this rule, don't you think it's the don't push it rule? Lari marketIn set nine straight games. If he set three games, played played a gun, and then set another three. I don't think they'll find them.
Speaker 2: I don't.
Speaker 1: I have no idea.
Speaker 2: I didn't know that they had somebody who is kind of in a clandestine role scene if something's nefarious going on. Wait a minute, let me look at you know, this is where somebody wins like a class action suit against somebody, Oh I was in a car accident. And then they have those you know cameras, those investigators that they see some guy where he's out there swinging the golf club or you know, he's changing tires on a semi and then they go, ah, we got you. I don't know if they're doing that with Lari Marketing, where they visit his home and I took out the garbage. There's nothing wrong with his bag. Is this a good thing? I guess. I just the shocking part is that Laurie Marketing would go okay if he did, because I think you have to go to him and say you're not healthy. I'm not No, you've got a lower back injury. I do, Yes, you do, and we want you to sit out. We want to make sure you're healthy for next season when hopefully we get Cooper flag.
Speaker 5: Yes, Todd, it's well intended by the league, and I could certainly appreciate that with all the load management and stuff.
Speaker 3: But I still don't understand how you fully can approve something like that.
Speaker 5: But he does somehow have a legitimate problem that doesn't show up in an X ray or the average physician report.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna guess he doesn't have a legitimate injury. I'm guessing he might still have a lower back injury, but he's not allowed to sit out. Although didn't the Mavericks say with Anthony Davis with his injury, with Kyrie injured, and they may shut him down, Well, why are you allowed to shut down Anthony Davis just because Kyrie got hurt? You need you need to uphold the competitive balance of the league. That Dallas can't go. Eh, we're just going to roll some guys out there. You still, if Anthony Davis is healthy, you need to put him in the lineup here, because what are you doing tanking? Ah, we'll just shut him down. We got nothing to play for, but teams playing you or teams hoping that you put up a good fight against the team they're competing for with a playoff spot. That's the competitive integrity of the game. Yes, Pom, do you think we need a name for this rule? I looked on the NBA's website. It's called the Player Participation Policy, and you know I don't like thelliteration PPP. No, my name is Paul Pabst. How about the Kohi rule? We name it after a player? Is that mean spirited to name it the rule? Well? How many times have the Clippers been fined for? I mean, Kawhi feels like he's always injured, But when he's healthy is when they need to investigate.
Speaker 6: Okay, then, if you want to go back, the origin of this rule is twenty ten, the Spurs and Popovich were fined two hundred and fifty thousand dollars. It was precedent setting because it hadn't been done before he set Duncan, Jenobili, Parker, and Danny Green in a nationally televised game against the Heat. That's the genesis of this entire Yea.
Speaker 2: He told him to stay home now the game was in Miami. He's like, no, stay home. And then all of a sudden, it's like David Stern goes, oh, that's gonna cost you. Maybe we call it the pop rule, but that's another p Yeah before peace, Yes, Seaton.
Speaker 4: I definitely didn't see it coming where.
Speaker 7: You know, the Utah Jazz they need to tank, so they're like, all right, better get market In out of there.
Speaker 2: Then sit them, sit them. We got to lose these games. It's not like you go, boy, if we don't sit him, we're going to be winning a ton of games. We're just going to be through the rest of the league if I don't sit him.
Speaker 7: Yeah, you know, it's kind of like when I'm looking at this one article and they say Marketing is a quote star player.
Speaker 4: He has quotes around star player.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh my god, I don't. I don't know if a star players should have quotes around it.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 4: He was an All Star in twenty twenty three. Okay, it say is star player air quotes?
Speaker 6: In this case, it has to have quotes because it's a designation, not an opinion.
Speaker 2: Yes, Tom, what if.
Speaker 5: A player has incentive clauses about how many games they played or when they're averaging?
Speaker 3: So like, what if Llowie marketing.
Speaker 5: I don't know what his contract is, but what if he's getting affected financially by them telling him to sit?
Speaker 2: Well, he's not going to be an All Star or our first team, second team, third team. That's where you have to have sixty five games. But I was just kind of surprised that you think the opposition goes is marketing plan? I don't think so. Now we have a chance. You're the Utah Jazz, Yes, Marvin, and.
Speaker 3: They're doing all this just to get the eighth pick in the draft.
Speaker 2: M maybe maybe higher than that. Where do they stand with the Wizards in New Orleans?
Speaker 3: Or maybe a message is saying, well.
Speaker 2: They got fifteen wins, they got fifteen.
Speaker 3: Wins the lottery. You never know.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Yes, Paul Washington has thirteen wins, Utah has fifteen, Charlotte sixteen, and New Orleans eighteen. Washington, Utah, and Charlotte as of right now weld each have a fourteen percent chance.
Speaker 2: Okay, number one overall, So you're saying we got a chance. But if you said to Cooper Flag, where do you want to go? He's from Maine, not going to the Celtics. If it's Washington, Utah, maybe Charlotte because you've been at Duke. Maybe get to play with Alonzo Ball not Lonzo Lamela LaMelo. I can't keep it straight, even though I should, because there's only one that's really good. Do you want to go to DC?
Speaker 3: No? No, it's almost like going to the Jets.
Speaker 2: I think it's worse than the Jets.
Speaker 3: Oh, yes it is, yes for sure. Yeah, because I don't think the Wizards have won fifty games in my lifetime.
Speaker 2: You mean in a season, not total in your lifetime, Well.
Speaker 3: In a season, yes, I don't think they've won fifty games in my life.
Speaker 2: Well, hear from Josh Allen coming up Seaton. What's pole question for hour one?
Speaker 4: It would be great if we I don't know if we have enough options for it.
Speaker 7: But the new name for that rule that you were just talking about, that would be a lot of fun.
Speaker 4: Maybe we can populate that a bit.
Speaker 2: Okay, pop.
Speaker 4: Should say it's so funny. We're like a bunch of seals in here. I said pop in the front row, and.
Speaker 2: We all saw the same pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop?
Speaker 4: Did you just say pop pop?
Speaker 3: You pay us for this, twelve year olds?
Speaker 2: What other pole question might you have?
Speaker 7: Well, we haven't gotten into some of the quote situations in the mac Jones going to the forty nine ers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he is.
Speaker 4: A more interesting fella than I think it appears on the surf.
Speaker 2: Do you think there'll be a thirty for thirty on mac Jones one day? This could be a chapter of it. This could be he is.
Speaker 4: He is a wonderful case study and how luck and timing play into a successful career.
Speaker 2: At that position. Absolutely.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 9: Hey Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together we're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio. You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app. Why should you listen to Covino and Rich. We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world. We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss. And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together. I mean that says.
Speaker 2: Something, right, So check us out.
Speaker 9: We like to get you involved too, Take your phone calls, chop it up. As they say, I'd say, the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the.
Speaker 2: Most interactive show on planetar.
Speaker 9: Be sure to check out Cavino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific, And if you miss any of the live show, just search Covin on Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media.
Speaker 2: That's Covino and Rich. Tom Pelsero, NFL Network insider busy man the last few days here, Tom, let me start with the winners and losers. If you were picking out one team where you go clearly did better than everybody else. And then if I said give me the loser, who would you pick the.
Speaker 1: Winners and losers are always tough because a lot of the time the biggest free agent signings are the guys you see cut two years later, and some of those value type signings are the ones that work out the best. Look at the Eagles last year with Zach Bond. Nobody was talking about that. That was as impactful as anything, but he's had a bunch of under the radar signings. I would say I think that the teams that were active that certly at least made an impact on their teams this year. Look at the Patriots defensively, Geiney Milton Williams. They had to pay a lot to get him, but a game record type. They're playing new defensive scheme with Mike Vrabel. They also brought it in Harold Landy who got released by the Titans. He's got familiarity with Mike Vrabel, Robert Spalane the linebacker, Carlton Davis the corner. I mean, again, you'll see, we'll see what because these are all big money types of signings, But in terms of the instantaneous impact, I think that you're going to see it there. I also would say I like at least the philosophy of what Seattle is doing, and they've got some more moves that they're going to need to make. But in essence, you know, they've been going along with Geno Smithy. He had wanted a contract redo last year. They don't do that with two years left, just organizational philosophy. This year, they came to them. They offered him a raise, they offered him a deal. Gino didn't like it, did not respond well to their offer. At some point they went wait to say, we can trade him for a third round pick, and then signed Sam Darnold, who's a decade younger coming off a Pro Bowl, for a little bit less money. We're just gonna we're gonna do that, you know. And then DK Metcalf you get you get a second round pick out of that deal. They're kind of rebooting, you know, year two from Mike McDonald. What I like about it is they were ten and seven and they didn't go, hey, we're close, we just need it a little bit more. Was you know what, ten and seven's not the goal. Let's try to go win a championship with the coach who's the youngest in the league that we think could be really special. Here you know, again, they still need wide receiver help. We'll see if they get some more here in the coming days as well as through the draft. But I thought that the way that Seattle looked at this, the way they attacked it, I thought, really said something about the focus of their front office.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Denver stood out to me quietly, Chicago, did you know Washington did? And then you have the other end of the spectrum, the team that made you go hmm.
Speaker 1: Well, once again, I think that just anybody looking at this says the Cowboys are just so generally inactive that it just makes you wonder what's their plan. You know, obviously they've got a new coaching staff in there. Brian Shot and I were getting promoted to head coach, Matt Eberflus coming in as the defensive coordinator. We've seen them make some, you know, relatively smaller moves. They traded yesterday for a couple of former high draft picks, Kenneth Murray and Kyrie Elam. But you know, Murray had been a fine player, but that was a salary dump for Tennessee and Kyrie Elam it started like twelve games over three years. You know, that's kind of like the Jonathan Mingo trade they made last year from Carolina, where you know, they give up a fourth per a guy that they thought was a really top wide receiver in the draft, but he hadn't had any you know, he hadn't had a lot of productivity, and so you know, their biggest free agent sidings at this point. I might be forgetting somebody off the top of my head, but you know, Javonte Williams, a running back who I was at the game in Dallas a couple of years ago when he had the best gay of his career, but he had an injury. He's not quite at the same level of productivity. You had to be sitting there and going when Washington's making all these moves, right. They did it the deadline last year with the Marshall and Lattimore trade. They did it with the Deebo Samuel trade. This year, a Laramie Tunsell trade. They're going on in said, hey, we got to catch up to the Eagles. We're going to cash in right now on a rookie quarterback contract for the Cowboys. They're locked in with DAK, they're locked in with CD. They got to figure out the Miket thing and they're operating like a team, whether it's right or wrong. It doesn't have a whole lot of flexibility, and you just wonder. I'm not saying what they're doing is wrong, but you do wonder, Okay, what's their plan for catching up in a really, really competitive division.
Speaker 2: And I don't know if this is true, though, Tom, but it feels like Jerry Jones wants to prove how smart they are. He is in the draft free agency. Okay, I signed checks, but they don't go after free agents. And they have done well on the draft, but I don't know why. It's like a college coach who doesn't believe in the transfer portal. Well, you got Dabo Sweeney at Clemson. He doesn't believe in the trent and you're like, you better get up to speed. But Jerry is never They've never spent money. Who is in Greg Hardy is their big free agent signing a decade ago.
Speaker 1: That was a wild while. I saw that stat that's the last one they signed to a contract above what like eight million dollars per years in free agency. That feels like a lifetime ago. And there's a whole Greg Hardy side story. We don't need to get into there. But yeah, they've not been super active. They've been in most cases slower to get their long term contracts done. And the problem with that, we see it over and over is when you wait on these deals, all that does is give more leverage to the player. Whether it's because of Dak playing out a franchise tag. It's like, why does Dak make sixty million? I see people say it all the time, Dak make sixty Josh allension for fifty five. It's about leverage. Yeah, Dak played out a franchise tag. They were at risk of having to tag him a second time, which they did until the paperwork went through, and then he played toward the end to that deal that he had all the leverage in this case. You know the same thing with CD last year where Justin Jefferson resets the market. Now you're seeing them with Michah Parsons. If the Cowboys jumped out, you know, whether it was you know, forget about last year, you jump out in March and just say, you know what, we're gonna get this deal done with Mikah. You know you're Troie probably talking about, hey, we get that about what the MASX Crosby number was right, which is like thirty five thirty five and a half million dollars a year. Now Miles Garrett gets forty you know, Michael Parsons agents are sitting there going, great, we'll s sit back and wait and see if we get forty one. And now you potentially have another off season where it's dominated by what's gonna happen with Micah. You know, it will give me the indication that they're at least open to exploring whether or not they would trade him. I know they've had internal discussions about, Okay, what's the right thing to do when if you sign him for forty million plus, that's going to give you a super top heavy type of roster here. It's just that's that's kind of the Cowboys way of doing business. And I definitely understand the frustration of fans who are just going, what's the plan to get better again? When you're chasing literally the Super Bowl champs who arguably have the best roster in football.
Speaker 2: Tom Pellisero, NFL Network insider, the Aaron Rodgers situation. I'm curious about this from the Minnesota standpoint, Why don't they just come out and say we're not interested in Aaron Rodgers. You've already said to JJ McCarthy, we're moving on from Sam Darnold. We believe in you if you truly believe in JJ McCarthy. Unless they do, they're curious about Aaron Rodgers.
Speaker 1: Listen, if the Vikings called Aaron Rodgers today and said, hey, what do you think about coming and playing Minnesota, Aaron Rodgers would be off that beach with the shawl around his shoulders and be on a plane to Minnesota instantly. I mean, that's the truth. Kevin O'Connell and Aaron Rodgers have a relationship. They're about the same age. Believe it or not. They are both California guys. They've known each other for years. They talk, they text. But you drafted JJ McCarthy last year tenth overall with the philosophy of exactly what I was talking about with Washington, where you got a young guy on a cost controlled contract, you can spend all this money elsewhere, you can use draft picks, you can go. We're going to try to win right now by taking advantage of the fact that we've got the quarterback on the cheap. Aaron Rodgers I believe would come and play for not very much money at all in Minnesota. But you're still changing the path for JJ McCarthy at that point. It would be different if Sam Darnold were coming back off the year he had, they made him an offer, Seattle offered a way more money. He's gone. Daniel Jones they tried to bring back. They give themselves an option here just because JJ McCarthy is in a very rare position where not only did he not play as a working he didn't take a rep the whole season, and there's no precedent for that. But once those two options went away, my understanding has been the most likely scenario, highly likely, is that JJ McCarthy is going to be the starting quarterback and they'll pursue a backup option. Why have they not ruled it out publicly? I would say the Vikings philosophically just don't rule anything out publicly. Is there some scenario here where, I mean, think about this. Did JJ McCarthy has a setback in rehab. I'm not saying he has, saying if that were to happen right in may Or he tweaked something in OTAs and Aaron's sitting out there still wandering in the sand, maybe you go, hey, this is exactly the type of opportunity here, you know, and I think that you know from Aaron's perspective, and listen, there's only one person inside his head. Aaron's deep inside there.
Speaker 10: You know.
Speaker 1: He's got to make up his decision about what he wants to do. Does he really want to play? And at some point some of the options that he's got right now potentially are going to go away. I mean because right now Russell Wilson's in Cleveland today. If all of a sudden, the Browns and I don't know that this is going to happen, but let's say the Browns decide we'd like to make you an offer, we'd like to bring you in. And now all of a sudden, the Steelers are in a situation of all right, we can either keep waiting for Aaron, who learned a lot from Brett Farvre, and when Brett Favre went from the Jets to the Vikings, he signed on August eighteenth in two thousand and nine. We can't sit here and just wait. We don't want to lose Russell Wilson would be playing c because Justin Fields has planning. We don't want to go from A to B to C to whatever is D. We need to do something right now. That's where the teams at some point might need to move forward. Hasn't happened yet, but that time is coming here. And as much as Aaron might feel like he needs to meditate on this and really get in touch with all the different factors in his life, at some point it's you got to make a decision, and time will tell how much how much lease the teams are willing to give him to do that.
Speaker 2: I don't let Russell Wilson out of the building. If I'm Cleveland, I just say, hey, Russ, let's make this work. You can show Pittsburgh. We'll come back and haunt Pittsburgh here and you know whatever your reclamation tour. And I wonder if the Steelers could be kind of like, let's say Aaron Rodgers says, hey, you know what I'm gonna play for the Giants, Like Pittsburgh could be Duck Devlin or whoever, like, don't I don't know what Plant Gardner, Minshew or Drew Long, like they could be down to plan D here.
Speaker 1: I love a good Devlin Duck Hodges reference in the morning. Dan, Yeah, I mean listen, they're they're there are some other things out there. But yeah, let's let's game this out. Let's game out the situation that you just did, which I talked through with some people this morning. Let's say, and I don't know what's going to happen, Let's say the Browns signed Russell Wilson today. Now the Giants and the Steelers are waiting on one guy who may or may not even decide that he ultimately wants to play football in twenty twenty five. Your other options beyond that are you try to get Kirk Cousins out of Atlanta, where that's still an evolving situation there. He's do twenty seven point five fully guaranteed another ten million or twenty twenty six vess if he's on the roster comes Sunday. The Falcons don't seem concerned about that at all, because they figure, hey, another ten million invest two years from now, he'll probably make that and it'll be offset anyway, so not a big deal. They're gonna wait. But Kirk also has no trade clause. He might not want to go to certain teams that might have an interest in him, so that's one option. Then after that, you're into. Is Joe Flacco a starter in the NFL somewhere this season, Jamis Winston, Drew Locke is still out there. You try to make something out of Trey Lance, I mean your option, your list of options are getting shorter here. I don't know, frankly, if any of these options down they're big names. I don't know if any of these options are stuff that fans are going to, you know, blow up the phone lines or get online and buy tickets to go see forty one year old old Aaron Rodgers, thirty six year old Russell Wilson, forty forty one year old Joe Flackball. I don't know that any of these are, you know, the options that are going to like spur you, not the way it did when the Jets traded for Rodgers a couple of years ago. But they are competent quarterbacks, and in a quarterback draft where there is very little certainty beyond cam Ward probably be in the first quarterback and quite possibly the number one overall pick. You know, at least locking in somebody who you know can go out and function an offense and get the ball to your playmakers. It gives you a little bit more options. Can they afford the next week?
Speaker 2: Can they afford another nine and eight season? Can Mike Tomlin afford another nine and eight? Maybe you make the playoffs and you bowl out again in the first round.
Speaker 1: I think Mike Comlin has a very unique situation Pittsburgh, and I've talked with ur Rooney for it before. Ur Rooney's belief, and he got this from his father and his grandfather was as long as the coach's voice is still resonating in the locker room, you feel like people believe in him. They're not gonna move. But I would say the Steelers are not standing pat They just traded a second round pick to go get DK Metcalf and gave him the biggest contract for a non quarterback in franchise history. So the Steelers are being proactive here. If I'm George Pickens and I'm DK Metcalf right now, I definitely want to know who's throwing me the football. Russell Wilson. Listen, he's thirty six. He doesn't move as well. He doesn't throw the ball as well in the middle of the field as he used to is he doesn't have the same escapability. If there's one thing he does it's throw the ball to the perimeter, fifty to fifty balls, let your big receivers go and get it. Well, the Steelers have the biggest outside receivers in the game right now with Pickens and Metcalf here. I know that people are going to look at that and say it's not a really alluring option. But for the Steelers, if that's where this ends up, it does make some sense to give it one more shot. Hope Russ is healthy and could find you know, seventeen games like he found about those first four or five he played last year.
Speaker 2: Any chance, Well, I guess the Niners are going to sign rock Party, right, That's not in doubt.
Speaker 1: They're negotiating, They have had negotiations exchange bargaining proposals. I would anticipate that they are going to get Brock purty side. As for mac Jones, because I know that's where you're going. They obviously there was a lot of discussions about them taking him in the draft in twenty twenty one. They ultimately opted for Trey Lance. They actually tried to trade for mac Jones last year when he got traded to Jacksonville, but they offered a really low pick. The Patriots decided to send them to the Jaguars instead. So this is like the third swing to Kyle Shanahan and company have made at bringing in mac Jones. And let's say something were to happen to brock Purty if he were to get banged up. I think they feel good about mac Jones going in, but this is not there. From my understanding on the brock Purty negotiations, they still want to get him locked up for the long haul. If you look at the numbers, even in a quote unquote down year for him last year, he's still one of the most efficient quarterbacks in football. The key is going to be what's that number at a time that we think about this, And the highest paid quarterback two years ago in the NFL for a brief moment was Jalen Hurts at fifty one million a year. He is now the tenth highest paid quarterback. You wonder where's all those cap dollars go? The caps it's loaded by twenty five percent. Most of that's gone to the quarterbacks.
Speaker 2: Thanks for spending time, and I know you're busy. Thank you again, Tom, you got it do It's Tom Pelsero, NFL Network insider.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: He's the Hall of Famer, three time Super Bowl champ of the Niners. Steve Young back on the program. Steve, we were wondering, did you ever have a full time job aside from being a football player when you got out of high school and you went to BYU, did you ever have a job like you know some of ninety nine percent of the rest of Americans, where maybe you wash dishes or something. So Todd, let me start with you, Steve Young. Did he have a job and what job was it?
Speaker 5: I think he did have a was some kind of paralegal or something with a loan or something along.
Speaker 2: Okay, I know, hold on, hold on, hold on, I got to go round the room. Everybody gets a guess here. But you know, keep in mind, he grew up in Greenwich, Connecticut Street Street, the other side of the tracks in Greenwich.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 4: See, oh boy, yeah, that really changes things, doesn't it. I think he has had a job. I think it was more like working at someone's store store.
Speaker 2: Okay, Marvin.
Speaker 3: The Great One worked at a car dealership, card dealership, Paul.
Speaker 6: Real specific when he's young, a caddie in Greenwich, and when he was in college, probably like an internship with a hedge fund or something.
Speaker 2: I'm going to say probably had a paper route. And I'm going to say that he worked. I'm gonna say he worked for his father, Steve.
Speaker 8: All right, So uh, the young family had the famous paper and I started it for you that's when we were little. That doesn't really count, but I'm giving you the credit for it because I got to tell you the story that my brother the worst day of the paper out was when you had to go collect the money and knock on the door and ask for the dollar thirty for the Granwich.
Speaker 10: Times, you know, as a pain. And one day my brother told my mom I'm not doing it, and I'm not.
Speaker 8: She got so sick of it. And this is great like story when my mom punches my brother as hard as it puts them back against the wall, and we laugh about it today that my mom, who is the greatest peacemaker of all time, who would never like her to fleet, somehow got so enraged.
Speaker 10: Because my brother would not go collect for the Greenwich dunch. She punched him.
Speaker 8: So anyway, I was in high school and in college, I worked all summers with landscape company bucket Lands, her own man in Grantwich, Connecticut, and I ran a whole truck of guys. And a funny thing about Greenwich is you pull up to these big places, these biggest states, you know, to go cut their lawn, and all the moms like, come inside, the landscapers are here.
Speaker 10: We don't want to mix company. And I was like, you know, I was.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 10: It was rough and tumble back then. Yeah, that was my job. That hedge fun thing is great. Yeah that works.
Speaker 9: Sure.
Speaker 2: Okay, if you're Aaron Rodgers, I'm gonna make you Aaron Rodgers, and I'm gonna give you the opportunity for Pittsburgh and New York with maybe the possibility of the Vikings. What would you do.
Speaker 10: I'd sprint to the Vikings if possible.
Speaker 8: I'm you know why Sam would leave a place where he knows you're gonna thrive me because they had to.
Speaker 10: They told me what he'd have a spot.
Speaker 8: But you've got to find Dan in today's game, You've got to find a place where someone has left. Kyle Shanahan Sean McVay or Andy Reid and understands the new kind of run to the future that is necessary to be great for quarterbacks.
Speaker 10: And then you got to run to those teams.
Speaker 8: And that's what Sam found in San Francisco briefly as a backup and then as a starter in Minnesota.
Speaker 10: So I'd run McConnell's fast as any of them, because.
Speaker 8: That's what you if you're gonna have, if you're gonna thrive in today's game, especially with what all that Aaron knows he was, he was born and raised in a more sophisticated era of the NFL.
Speaker 10: He can take advantage of him.
Speaker 8: That's why Tom Brady, I think we've talked about this before, towards the end of his career, ran into him in a money night game and I go, what's the difference between the old before the rule changes and now he goes, well, now the flats are always open, the middle of the field is unpatrolled, and no one can hit me. And so Aaron understands that, Like, that's why people can play in their forties, because we know we learned at a more sophisticated time. So get to a place that understands the future and go dominate.
Speaker 10: I don't. I look, if you that's to me, that's an obvious one. If that's a chance.
Speaker 2: Okay, but does Pittsburgh make sense for him if they want him?
Speaker 8: No, we had to go win some games. Yeah, but they're not built. They don't they have him not run to the future as far as the quarterback position. And those are the teams that are in the Super Bowl year, they're in the Championship game. Every year they're they go deep in the playoffs. And so I would say, yeah, go on with your bad stuff. If you don't want to play, you know, you don't want to retire.
Speaker 3: I'm not.
Speaker 10: I'm not done.
Speaker 8: Look at playing playing Pittsburgh's amazing. I mean it's you know, they're gonna win a lot of games. They always do, and he can help me win more. But I just I think the way I see the game today, the way the NFL is built. You know, you got to you know New York Giants.
Speaker 2: No, No, okay, but are the Eagles in that same blueprint that you're talking about, because yeah.
Speaker 8: I look, Dan, I know you're trying to trick me here and try to catch me on my my little theory. Yes, because they have a quarterback that's still, you know, is gonna threaten the line of scrimmage every play. They've got a unique way to run the football, just like the forty nine ers did, and I give them credit for that, But the idea that you're now gonna go win super Bowls by playing great defense in a running game is just not the way that it's gonna get done. You have a very dynamic quarterback position, which they do have, and I think that's where they are a team of the future in that way. They have a unique way to do it with Saquon, which I give them as an anomaly. But you know, the idea that today's game, you can throw together a number one defense and a great running game and go wing the Super Bowl doesn't happen.
Speaker 2: But if I gave you Saquon Barkley or Justin Jefferson.
Speaker 8: It's these stupid bar fights, like you know, yeah, I in today's game, Justin Jefferson with a great, renovative offensive mind and and a quarterback that understands the position that can really thrive, those are the guys that go. So I'd go that way.
Speaker 2: Did you call it a stupid bar fight? That well, Let's what is this I do for a living?
Speaker 8: I know, but sometimes you just gotta you gotta admire and and just stand back and just say, look, people are great, and I don't want to have to pick you know, you know how hard it is to be great, and then you want to pick between great like I don't know's.
Speaker 10: It's a bar fight.
Speaker 2: It's just a fun philosophical question. As a quarterback, who do you want the guy right behind me?
Speaker 8: Let's let's do more of it. Let what can we talk about Mohammed Ali versus what do you want to do?
Speaker 2: You call it better quarterback? You were Montana.
Speaker 10: I didn't even have to. I was just sitting here going I know, I know, listen, you made me do that. It's good. I was at Tomam and Ali, I was trying to get you off traps.
Speaker 2: Do you get a Christmas card from Joe Montana's family?
Speaker 10: Uh No, but I don't. I mean, look, don't try to. We never fought. We didn't, we never had a fight, we never had a disagreement, we never I.
Speaker 2: Just asked Hi about a Christmas card.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 8: No, I'm just trying to say, I'm trying to get ahead of you now because I'm trying to get you off, but I'm trying to get ahead of you.
Speaker 2: Steve Young, the Hall of Famer joining us on the show. You are on record, I think beginning of February where you talked about the Niners need to make or not make. Maybe that sounds strong rock Party take advantage of his legs. He's not Jayden Daniels, but I think your quote was he could be eighty percent of Jayden daniel Right, you truly believe that.
Speaker 9: I do.
Speaker 10: I think he's nifty right.
Speaker 8: You saw him in the pocket, He move around, he can carry the football out of the huddle. Look, I don't want to go back over it again. But because the field has gotten bigger, essentially because of the rule changes, you can't launch your body at defenders can't patrol the field as well as they can.
Speaker 10: It's the game is.
Speaker 8: Quarterback position has to threaten the line of scrimmage every play. They don't need to go do it, but the threat needs to be there. It's too powerful and the players that the quarterbacks that are doing that every play are the ones that are thriving.
Speaker 10: And so for Brock, he can threaten the line of scrimmage.
Speaker 8: Essentially, as fast or as strong or all the stuff that other guys do, but he can't do it. And I think you have to lead into it, because if you don't threaten the line of scrimmage, all you're going to do is be a processing, a phenomenal processing quarterback, and every play is out of the huddle, and we're going to just complete lots of passes.
Speaker 10: Then you're gonna have to go the retail way, right, you have to go the long way in today's game.
Speaker 8: There's shortcuts everywhere, and you got to take advantage of them. And and and so I think he can do more of that. And I think that and as they try to iterate, Look, when the world changes happen, there's three guys that ran into the future, Andy Reid, Kyle Shan and Sean McVay, and every coach that come out that's been thriving in the NFL's come from those guys, and they've all kind of they had a tactical advantage for six, seven to eight years.
Speaker 10: That tactical advantage has gone.
Speaker 8: Now there's too many guys out they're teaching the same thing. So there's got to be a new iteration of it, a new you know, uh real, you know, kind of reinvent yourself. And so for Kyle and Brock, to me, it's leaning into threatening the line of scrimmage with him carrying the football. I know that sounds scary to people and that's how he gets hurt and all that kind of stuff. But in today's game, you have to do it or if you're going to be championship football.
Speaker 2: It's look at the amount of money that the quarterbacks make and they defer, you know, they restructure their deals. At what point do you think a quarterback should have a say in what is done with the money that they're freeing up like Mahomes Josh Allen yep? Should they be able to have input in free agency?
Speaker 8: Look, given enough time, in a million years, all sports leagues will be owned by the players, right because they're the ones that are on the field. They'll they'll be the equity owners. It's inevitable over a million years. It's just that football is going to be a really long time. But I think that in that sense, players, especially the ones that you've invested to be the you know, the pillars of your of your of your team, should be included, should be included those personnel conversations should be included in the draft.
Speaker 10: The biggest mistake, And I told Aaron Rodd, I told Tom, I took pay.
Speaker 8: I told anyone I could that the biggest mistake I made was not Look, I don't want to say that. I did not wanted to do unnatural things and walk in and tell him you better draft that guy, or you better take care of me, or you better No. But I wish that I would have gone into them, into the room and and and how to say, and had the conversation and talk through it and try to make sure that we were, you know, as a as a quarterback, trying to advocate for what felt like we needed to try to take care of. And I encourage players to do it with the right spirit, with the right you know, the way to do it it with tactically, that's appropriate, that kind of thing. But but absolutely, Dan, if you're going to do a quarterback a team friendly deal over many, many years, you better you got to tell me you're going to be part of those conversations.
Speaker 10: Absolutely well.
Speaker 2: You can only imagine what Aaron Rodgers felt when he's watching the draft and they decided to take Jordan Love and they gave him a five minute there's tough moments.
Speaker 8: I look, I'm not I'm not even trying to avoid that or like, oh don't I you know, I'm gonna go and advocate.
Speaker 6: You better not do.
Speaker 8: I'm not talking about threatening. What I'm trying to do is is build a partnership in personnel. Because what I what my experience was, and I'm sure it's still the same. We watched every player, every draft class come in the first OTA, and we as players were all look at the guys that they drafted and like, yeah, he's pretty good or oh he sucks, you know right away, and like, as players, if we have that sense in fifteen minutes, I'm overstating it, but in a very short amount of time, why would we not be invited into at least give an opinion about what we see in a certain player, a certain thing. I can think of Geno Carmazi or I mean, like, we had lots of draft guys at quarterback, Like what did you maybe let me work the guy out? Why when you have the quarterback Like that's to me, that's a big mistake that the league continues to make and not you know, kind of getting the opinion of the players that are.
Speaker 10: On the field.
Speaker 2: I don't know how much you saw them should or Sanders the past two seasons, but it feels like, you know, we get to this point of leading up to the draft and then you start to get opinions like we build you up and then we tear you down. And it certainly happens at that position. And I don't know how much of a role or factor in Deon Sanders with Shador Sanders or maybe teams are, you know, saying negative things so he'll slide a little bit, which I always find amazing that Wow, we're not going to take him now. They said, you know some bad things about him. What do you think of Shudoor Sanders as an NFL quarterback?
Speaker 8: I feel like we better talk about Dion for a second because it's so much a part of the conversation. And I think I've I shared this with you, but if I haven't, I'll do it really quick. When he joined the forty nine Ers, he pulled me aside and said, Steve, I am the best teammate you'll ever have. I show up every day, I'm ready to practice, I'm ready to play. I'll always be there and I have your back. That's set.
Speaker 10: Now.
Speaker 8: The rest of it is a parade that I want you to just get some popcorn and enjoy because it's gonna be a good time, you know. And that's exactly what he did. So I take that and it's exactly who he was and who I think he is today. It's it's there's a parade, and get your popcorn and enjoy the prein I think Shador is part of that, part of that same philosophy, right, It's like there's a prey to enjoy and the popcorn everything.
Speaker 10: But is he ready to play football? Is he going to do the hard work?
Speaker 8: Is going to be in the classroom, studying and memorizing and getting ready to I think those are all things that his dad would say, Hey, buddy, you better, you better be ready to play ball.
Speaker 10: And so in that way, I'm not going to listen to the noise I think that should. It's gonna be a The question is about that the pure rock talent.
Speaker 8: It's not going to be about his work ethic, his ability to you know, put the time into all that kind of stuff.
Speaker 10: I have no I have no worries about that.
Speaker 2: But you know, we used to say you had to be six four. You know, we're looking for that guy who's six four or sometype.
Speaker 8: The prototype Dan was in the pocket deliver the football. That was because the game was different. The game is now like if you how many teams are still in the past, Like it is now a time where the quarterback has to leave the huddle every day down with a threat to with to attack the line of scrimmage and make the defense worry. They're getting up free first downs and free touchdowns. And every great quarterback today the prototype is a guy that can run around, throw it all over the field, but yet can still do the traditional job of sitting in the pocket delivering the football. That's the That's Matt Patrick, Mahomes, that's the guy. And Shador he definitely fits the prototype. It might not be size and weight exactly, but absolutely a prototype.
Speaker 10: Kind of player.
Speaker 2: To give me the guy, the guy who was successful as a quarterback where you go it didn't make sense, but he made it work. Like Drew Brees always amazed me because I go, yeah, how does he do this? And you know he was always had his head up. I mean he was always looking downfield, all around always. But is there somebody that you played with or against, and you go, I don't know how he does it because it's just at his size, it's unique.
Speaker 8: Uh well, yeah, I mean when I when I met Russell Wilson and I was like, oh my gosh, that dude. I mean, I didn't realize how much taller I was. That made me feel good like I was dominating here. But it's anyone. But I I admire people that are shorter that can play the game because you know, there is an element of you know, kind of visibility.
Speaker 2: But Drew Brees doesn't make sense because he's not fast, he's not quick.
Speaker 10: But but but but he lived in it.
Speaker 8: He lived in an era where processing was the king, it was the only king. And and in today's game, processing is vital, but it's it doesn't It's not all you have to have. You have to have the ability to run around threat in the line of scribage. That's why IM trying to tell you is it's different if you talk about a you know, a player that stood in one place his whole career back in the prototype days, a previous prototype.
Speaker 10: I don't know that that person would thrive in today's game. It's just that different.
Speaker 2: Would you be a Hall of Famer in today's game.
Speaker 8: This is Dan, come on, this is my game. I mean I was an audity back in the day. I was the guy who's like, he's a scrambler.
Speaker 9: Yeah, you know.
Speaker 8: Bill Watsh was the only one that I remember, and luckily I was close to him that looked at me in the eye and said, look, because you can run, you're going to be better. I believe it makes you more powerful, it makes you like the other one else was like, this is an oddity. Tie his legs up, you can't move. It's stupid. We don't need any It's crazy scrambling, crazy guy like I was. I was absolutely an audity in today's game.
Speaker 10: It is I am. I am the prototype, Dad, I am. I am ready to go. Just give me a call and I'll.
Speaker 2: Are you better than Lamar Jackson in today's game?
Speaker 10: Still? What is okay? I can't help? But can you? It's like it's like you're drawing like a like a fly to the to.
Speaker 2: The point, why are you? You're fired up today?
Speaker 6: Like you?
Speaker 2: We want to test you a little bit here. I mean, that's all I'm doing.
Speaker 8: But I would say, while we're on with Lamar, you know he's one of my favorites, and I think that he is the absolute prototype and his his greatness is not still yet found because he hasn't found them to be great and needed lots of help innovative minds and offense today with lots of talent around you that can run all over the field, like they're getting closer. B Baltemarre finally capitulated a couple of years ago and said, Okay, we're in. We're gonna get out of the sophisticated running game.
Speaker 10: We're gonna come. We're commit. We're gonna get you some some some uh, you.
Speaker 8: Know, offensive minds that are gonna help you thrive as a quarterback and if and get some talent out of the wide receiver and really kind of down they're half what there's sixty percent of the way there of who Lamar Jackson could be. And if you want to compare, uh, he's if we raced my peek in his peak, he's quicker.
Speaker 10: There's no doubt. Man. He can make people miss. I can make people miss. Not like him, but if we raced, I don't know, I don't know, I.
Speaker 2: Don't know, you mean like a forty or one hundred.
Speaker 10: I think like a forty or even a thirty. You know what I mean, like ra like top end speed. You know what I mean. I don't know. We'll see I was. I was sneaky. I was sneaky. I ran down a lot of interceptors and then I.
Speaker 3: Cleaned up my pass.
Speaker 10: I have Tom look it up. No one ever I picked six was unheard of with me.
Speaker 1: Never who would be?
Speaker 10: I think I was cleaning it up. But I could chase him down, and I dragged down.
Speaker 2: A lot of guys who would be better at delivering papers. It would be faster.
Speaker 10: You were.
Speaker 2: Lamar Jackson'd be tight.
Speaker 10: Man close the collection day. He had to be on the door. Who knows you taking people at the door.
Speaker 8: The kid can't find his mom, they don't have the money, and then they could get really fucked up.
Speaker 2: I hope I didn't set the tone for your day or ruin your day, because you know, this is therapy for me, Dad.
Speaker 10: Someone wants to talk football at my house.
Speaker 2: This is like, oh God, you're surrounded by women.
Speaker 8: I know, it's just uh, they love they love the game because they you know, like Taylor Swift said, it was okay, So.
Speaker 10: They're like.
Speaker 2: Yes, Todd Steve Young during his NFL career, Dodd, No, no.
Speaker 10: No, the number off and fight out. There was a pick six.
Speaker 9: No, not doing that.
Speaker 3: I have the number of pick sixes.
Speaker 2: I thought, we need, no, we need He brought it up.
Speaker 5: What is it? Eleven interceptions returned for touchdown?
Speaker 4: Wow?
Speaker 10: Wow, Wow, it's impossible. Wow, that is impossible.
Speaker 2: You know what.
Speaker 8: That's what scares me a little bit, Dan, is that when you live in your own little private Idaho and.
Speaker 10: You think, you know what this is, how great.
Speaker 2: You were right until you got on this over in the corner.
Speaker 10: He just wants to just, you know, tear you down.
Speaker 2: One interceptions, Todd, can you see how many Montana through pick sixes? Here? We gotta go, we have to go.
Speaker 10: That's the best.
Speaker 2: Thank you, buddy,