Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news.
Speaker 2: I'm Stephanie Flanders, head of Government and Economics at Bloomberg, and this is Trumpnomics, the podcast that looks broadly at the economic world of Donald Trump, how he's shaking up the global economy and what on earth is going to happen next. And we do talk a lot about AI on this podcast. In fact, on or off this show, I'm finding most conversations end up there sooner or later. More often than not, the focus is on how many jobs AI will replace and how quickly, also who the winners and losers will be. But there's another worry about AI that I'm hearing more and more and is vividly described in a new book by the always brilliant FT columnist Sarah O'Connor. It's the fear that not so much that AI will put humans out of work, but it will make people's jobs worse than they were before, even when they were pretty bad jobs to begin with. What if by making our jobs much easier they actually take away everything that made them interesting or rewarding. The book I'm talking about is we Are Not Machines. The Fight for the Future of Work, and Sarah is with me, Sarah. Welcome to Trump and Norman. Thank you for having me, and thank you for your columns which I'm often sending to the team, And thank you for your book, which I think does introduce, as often you do with your columns, a whole different element. Your title isn't exactly employment correspondent, but I wonder whether it should be more kind of humanity correspondent these days. That was kind of the sense I got from the book. You were focused on the human part of jobs and what might happen and in some cases, as you describe, has happened when robots take over.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's right. I think the reason I wrote the book was that I was becoming a bit frustrated with the sort of the lack of humanity somehow in this discussion that even though it is all about us, and indeed we humans are the ones who've invented AI, it seemed as if the technology was being portrayed as the protagonist here, and that much of the debate was being driven either by the chief executives of those big technology companies and they're big predictions, the utopian ones and the dystopian ones, or by economists who have been doing lots of very careful studies, as you say, trying to map, you know, what are the particular abilities of these new AI systems. And if we break apart every single job in the economy into its constituent tasks, then can we work out which jobs are most exposed. I think that's fine as far as it goes, but it doesn't really get to the heart of things, which is how might it actually feel to be in the position of someone who is suddenly presented with this new technology? How does it actually change work on the ground. And I'm the sort of journalist who likes to get out of the office, get my notebook, get my company boots on, and go and meet people. So that's what I decided to do. So rather than the spreadsheet approach, I wanted to take the shoe leather approach. Here went to meet software developers, translators. I went down a deep mine in Sweden which is now falling with kind of autonomous vehicles, a brand new Amazon warehouse which is also full of robots, and I just wanted to find out how is this actually going and to talk to the people that it's actually happening too.
Speaker 2: And the big picture was you say that you have ended up more optimistic than at the start. I don't know whether everyone reading the book will feel more optimistic, but what were you gloomy about at the beginning and how did you change your view?
Speaker 1: I feel like I've been on a real journey with this one. I mean I used to be a real techno optimist before I even started the book. I basically because I've worked at the ETT for a long time. I've written a lot about the world of work over the last decade decade and a half, and I felt like over that time, I'd talked to a lot of people who were in jobs which weren't really that good, you know, quite boring, quite repetitive, quite physically arduous. Sometimes I wrote about the first generation of Amazon warehouses, where people were walking around for ten or fifteen miles a day, paced by algorithms, tracked by algorithms. They're getting blisters on their feet. And I used to think, like, you know, this is exactly why we need more automation. You know, we should be automating away bad jobs. We should be automating away the kind of the dull, the dirty, the dangerous stuff, and so you know, bring them on and then, of course, the robots did arrive, and so did generative AI, and that started to impact all kinds of white collar jobs as well. What I started to realize from talking to people was that it wasn't necessarily happening the way I thought it was, as you said in the introduction, rather than being a kind of force for liberation in some workplaces and in some professions, it was sort of crunching people into systems that were now kind of paced by machines, and also where people were kind of having to plug the inadequacies of the machines because they're not necessarily capable of doing everything that a person can do, but they can do certain things. And then you're starting to see jobs being redesigned around those sorts of strengths and weaknesses in which the humans are now sort of in but they're not necessarily in the loop in a way that's particularly enjoyable and sometimes was sort of more intense. So that made me quite depressed about the future. In the end, the reason that I felt more optimistic was because I realized, through the course of talking to all these people that the idea that this is an inevitability, that this is just sort of coming at us and that some people will sink and some people will swim, or as you say, you know, they'll be winners and losers. I realized that that's not actually the case. None of the people I met could be sort of slotted into a winner or a loser category and an economist's spreadsheet. They were all responding to this new technology in various ways. Some were trying to take advantage of what was useful about it. Others were sort of pivoting away from risks. Some people had just decided to leave their profession altogether and to create something new for themselves. And it made me think that actually we all have more agency in this than we're sometimes giving ourselves credit for, and that fundamentally people are unbelievably adaptable and they will find their ways through, but that we need to all kind of be aware that this is a story in which we're the protagonists rather than the technologies.
Speaker 2: There's so much there, and I want to get quite a lot of it. There's a piece of it that I thought that you start talking about because you focus on what happened to translation and sort of the creativity involved in translating subtitles, which I think if anyone's actually been a translator or knows a translator, they know there is a real art to it. There's a sort of classic model, which is the sort of white collar version of what you were describing. You know, you have the sort of drudgery, and the drudgery is taken away and you're just making someone's job easier. The version of that in white collar work, which also applies to kind of editors and journalists, is the AI does eighty percent of the job and then the human gets to spend less time just sort of tweaking it, making a bit better. And I suspect a lot of newsrooms and anywhere that is involved in translation and other things. That's been the way they've introduced AI, and they've said, isn't it nice for these people? They don't have to do like the first nine yards, They just perfect it and you kind of capture that that actually takes away most of what was rewarding about that job. It really made me think about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, one of the things that were so lovely about doing the reporting for the book is talking to people in depth about what they actually do. And it's only when you do that that you realize how much kind of care and craft and complicated sort of knowledge and skill goes into all kinds of things that we often take for granted. So I quite often watch TV with the subtitles on it, even in English, just because I don't know why my attention span is obviously collapsing. But when I talk to these translators of subtitles, they talked about what a remarkably creative and enjoyable job it is, particularly if you're watching a TV show in English and you have to translate it into say, check, which is what one of my interviews have to do. You have to make so many decisions, you know, like in English, there's just one way of saying you, but actually in lots of other languages, particularly European languages, there's the formal you and there's the informal you, And so you, as the translator, have to decide in any given scene, would these people be talking in the informal or the formal and sometimes that might change as their relationship sort of shifts. And those are the sorts of decisions that you have to make. And then there's like how do you translate a joke that might play really well on the West coast of America, so that it still is funny for people in the Czech Republic, you know, and all of those things are actually a really great creative challenge.
Speaker 2: But you have that great example from Asterisks of Obelisks's dog is called Dogmatics, but in French it's Ed Fichs, which I just is a fantastic example exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so Dave Fichs was the original name of the dog, and then the English translators came up with Dogmatics, which is even a better pun. Right. It was so fun to talk to those translators about what they love about their job. But yeah, what's changing for them isn't necessarily that they're being completely cut out of the equation, because these subtitles are still not kind of perfect if they're done by miss but as you say, they're being left to They call it now machine translation post editing, so you're given the machine translation that you're expected to tidy it up to check that it's accurate. And what they said was that actually this is no longer creative, and also it's cognitively quite challenging actually because you're sort of checking one thing against the other. But it's lost the sort of the joy and the meaning and the pleasure. And also they're being paid half the price, and so they have to do it twice the pace, and so there's been a sort of intensification of their work as well, and so some of them said that it felt a bit more like being on a production line compared to what it used to be. I mean, I would say to people who are starting to feel quite depressed. I did also go and visit some much more interesting, optimistic workplaces where I think AI and other kinds of automation technologies are sort of living up to that promise that we all had, which was that it would free us up to be more human. And then the key question, I think is like, what do you do with that. I didn't really want to write a book that concludes, well, there's a opportunities and dangers. You know, there's winners and losers. I've read a lot of books like that, as I'm sure you have as well. And it's not that that's not true, but I think.
Speaker 2: You have to talk about uncertainty as well. There's the winners and losers, and it's all very answering.
Speaker 1: And it's all terribly uncertain exactly. But that's not very helpful, is it to say there'll be winners and losers. The kind of more difficult question is the next one, which is, well, what makes the difference? Why are some people winning and why are some people losing? Why is this exact same set of technologies playing out so differently in different people's work. And I think unless you try and challenge yourself to ask that question, we're not really going to get much further in terms of shaping this the way we would quite like it to go.
Speaker 2: And I think also you get a little bit into even when someone might be a winner in economic terms because they're in a well prayed profession where they have quite a lot of autonomy over the use you mentioned that, you know, that's part of the thing is do you have control over how it's used. You're voluntarily adopting these tools and they are making you much more productive, often in sort of coding or in any of those kind of areas. But as you highlight, and you know people have written about in real time that intensification thing, people end up feeling they're working much harder. And of course we've seen that in a kind of macro sense for the last hundred years. Famously, Canes had said productivity is going to be increased, you know, quintuple in the next hundred years, and so we'll all have lots of leisure time. Of course, it turns out, yes, the people who've become much more productive, many of them are also quite well off, but they feel like they're working harder than never and they're worried about how many hours sleep. So I think even that definition of winners and losers, once you start thinking about the quality of life and the quality of your job, it becomes a bit harder to tell which is which.
Speaker 1: Definitely, it's very much the case that you can win something and lose something at the same time, and I think that we sometimes don't notice necessarily what we're losing until it's too late, or until we sort of look back and think, huh, something about the quality of my work doesn't feel quite the same anymore, But I can't put my finger on exactly what it is. Software developers are really an interesting example because in many ways it's sort of the opposite of those translators. If anything, I think those jobs are becoming more human in the sense that there's less sitting there typing out code by hand. I mean no, no software developers that I know are writing code by hand anymore, and so what is now demanded of them is actually more kind of managerial skills, those sort of more people skills. They've got to coordinate between different AI agents and different humans, They've got to think about the big picture a bit more, and so it's starting to put a premium on those more thoughtful judgment taste, all of those sorts of things, which does sound more enjoyable, and I think a lot of software developers are enjoying it and are kind of certainly a bit intoxicated by it, But as you say, they're not sort of banking that productivity and going. You know, it's interesting that both the sort of the utopian and the dystopian narratives about AI envisit just doing less work. Right in the utopian story, we're all sitting in our hammocks and working two hours a day in writing poetry to each other. And in the dystopian story, there's like ten people who've become multi billionaires and everyone else's mass unemployed. But actually, as you say, what is seems to be happening is that we're just finding more and more stuff to do with our time, which is often the way it goes. Well.
Speaker 2: Another thing I felt was sort of in the back of my mind as I was reading the book, and it's you know, one of those tweets that went viral a couple of years ago along the lines of I wanted AI to do my laundry and dishes so I could write a novel, but it seems to be working the other way around. There is that sort of concern. I think your point is the novels are not very good. You get a lot of management consultants now saying because it's so easy to do AI written reports and research, the premium will be on interaction with humans and being able to prove that you've had humans involved using their judgments and other things. I mean, that would be great if it's true, but at least some of the examples in your book, it suggests that what's produced by AI may be objectively less good than what humans do, but it'll still end up replacing the humans.
Speaker 1: I think it's definitely the case that you can't just take what the AI can do, or what any kind of automation technology can do, compare it to what a human does, and then say, well, This is how the job will change, because so much of it depends, as you say, on what will managers be satisfied with, what will consumers be satisfied with. So it's very possible that we might accept subtitles that are objectively worse but far far cheaper. Now. Translation is actually a really good example, because it's really hard to know if you're on the receiving end of a translation whether the quality has got worse or not. The whole point is that you don't know what the original language was. And there have been some studies of the quality of subtitles, for example, over time, and since this new kind of machine translation post editing system has come in, the quality has dropped quite substantially. The language is less rich, less varied. Everything is becoming sort of a bit thinner. There's sort of odd punctuation, it's all a bit less human. But as you say, from the studios point of view, if that's much much cheaper and no one is really going to be in a position to know, then that might happen anyway, even if the humans are still superior. I'm hopeful that ultimately there will be a sort of pushback, and I think we're already starting to see that. There are a lot of people who are saying, I don't want music that is made by AI. I don't want to read a book that is written with the help of AI. And there are lots of people trying to come up with like labeling schemes, you know, made by humans, all of that sort of thing. I think the tricky thing is that the way AI integrates into people's creative process, it's quite subtle and quite messy, and there's a sort of huge gradient between how much did you use AI, whether you're a writer or a researcher, particularly, you know, if you're working in something like TV, if it's used in post production, does that count? Does that not count? And so I'm not sure that this labeling idea is going to be the thing, but it's definitely I think there is a demand from humans for stuff made by other humans, and so I'm hopeful that in some way the market and capitalism will figure out a way to associate that demand.
Speaker 2: I should say we're recording this on the sixteenth of June. I'm not entirely sure when you'll be hearing it, but one of the columns you wrote was asking why is it so controversial what the impact of the Industrial Revolution is, why after all these years, we suddenly fighting with renewed vigor about how the Industrial Revolution affected the economy in society. And the point you made there, I guess was people were looking in the wrong place when they were just looking at the numbers. And I think we've also had that actually on the show from people like Simon Johnson and Darrenis and Moglu. If you read the historians or the novelists of that nineteenth century, it was about how it changed people's lives as well as the jobs and people out of work exactly.
Speaker 1: And also if you look at the kind of fights that broke out politically and even on the streets and certainly inside workplaces during the Industrial Revolution, often they were not about real wages and whether real wages have ticked up point five percent or point seven percent. They were about things like craftsmanship, dignity, health and safety, the role of children in the workplace. You know, all of these things are actually much more fundamental to kind of who we are and how we relate to our work. And I think we're beginning to see all of those same debates now and none of them are really going to be captured in these questions about where the productivity has gone up by zero point seven or point nine in the US in the last quarter, So.
Speaker 2: You talking about the nineteenth century. It's funny because I did a story a long time ago at the BBC about how housekeepers in Las Vegas, all the hotels in Las Vegas, the people cleaning the rooms and the hotels are all unionized, which is kind of surprising, but that was from a very conscious effort by the service sector. Union leader had said to me, Look, these great jobs, the manufacturing jobs that people are now trying of fighting to keep in cars industry, for example, that have great benefits and people can have pensions and they can send their kids to college. They didn't just become out of thin air. Those jobs were terrible one hundred and twenty years ago, and it was unions that made them better. And of course, in these kind of very human centric jobs, we've tended to think that they were very hard to unionize. And this is one of the not very many examples the housekeepers in Las Vegas, is that part of the answer that these jobs that definitely won't be automated need to become sort of good blue collar jobs in the way that say, being a plumber or even working in a car factory are good jobs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that would be a good outcome. I mean it's tricky, I think because if you look at something like care work, for example, and I spend a whole chapter with these amazing community nurses in the Netherlands. The reason that it's difficult to sort of raise wages in the care sector is partly because they're not unionized, but there's some other things going on there as well. One of them is that often the people who are paying for that are taxpayers in one form or another, and we have struggled to put aside enough money really to pay for good quality jobs in those sectors, partly because the economies in many places are aging and so the costs are just going up. There are lots of other kind of competing demands on taxpayers money. And then the other thing, of course, is that with manufacturing, it's definitely true that unions helped workers get a share of the pie, but also automation did enable productivity to go up, so there was a growing pie to be divided, and these very labor intensive sectors, it's not very easy to use technology to boost productivity, and some people are looking at things like the shortage of care workers and saying, well, we're going to have to put robots in here, like what else can we do? Like, you know, there's just not enough people willing to do these jobs. What was great about the is that I met in the Netherlands is actually they'd come to another solution that wasn't really about technology at all, which was more about just redesigning the job and the system entirely. So I went to an organization called Birdsorg, which some of your listeners might have heard of, where basically they run themselves. These nurses are sort of semi autonomous teams with no layers of management above. What that does is that it means that they can form kind of quite close relationships with a small ish number of clients in their local neighborhood. They actually give them less care in terms of the hours of care, but they're all highly trained and they bring in sort of local support networks to help, so that it turns out to be a cheaper way of providing care, but it's sort of better quality and that's what all of the sort of metrics suggests, and also it's cheaper, you know, for the insurance companies and the government because there aren't all these massive sort of overheads, and for the nurses themselves. They really like this way of working because they're not being treated like machines that have to rattle through all of these clients go from place to place and not form any human relationships. They're making all of the decisions themselves. They've got a lot more autonomy, and so a job that in many countries, including the UK, is a really hard job and quite thankless, becomes quite a meaningful and enjoyable job, and actually they're paid better those nurses because of all of these things about the business model. So I think there are ways to make these jobs better quality and therefore to enable more people to do them and to want to do them. But it won't necessarily be by applying technology.
Speaker 2: You mentioned some of the examples in Manchester, and you're from near there, and of course there's lots of focus on Manchester at the moment, at least in the UK, because you have a potential future Prime minister having been mayor there. But one of the examples that I had one of the times I was there was around this visits but also because they gave the care worker an extra fifteen minutes to talk to I think it was even half an hour. They said, you can you know, you have half an hour to really get to know and interview this person about what their situation is, what they need. And in one case, it turned out there was a kind of older woman who was in an area which she was surrounded by people who weren't from her own age. They were sort of, you know, young professionals who were never there during the day, so she felt kind of lonely. But when they sort of talked to people in the community, they realized they were all people who struggled to have their packages delivered because they were always out during the day. And so she became this person who was delivering people's packages. But then when people came around, they would have a chat and they have a cup of tea and whatever else, and it became and to your point, she needed fewer visits because she developed this then a network of people who for whom she was providing a service. But then they all kind of got to know her and she became part of the community. I worried a little bit when I was reading the book that certainly in most capitalist economies now there isn't the space to have that kind of policy experimentation because to your point, people would be rushing to the cheaper option, even when it's a bit crap. There will be more all pressure to do that than to find the more inventive thing that in the end might have saved you money.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, in a way, that's kind of one of the hard to remind you.
Speaker 2: That you ended up more optimistic at the end.
Speaker 1: Of the One of the themes that I kept thinking about when I was writing the book was about efficiency. There's a sort of short term's way to think about efficiency, and often it involves treating systems and even people like machines and driving more and more out of them. But actually, because people are not machines and we don't work that way, that's often in the long run inefficient and causes lots of other externalities as an economist would call it, or like problems as a normal person would call it. And I think that's definitely the case with things like care. Yes, it might seem more efficient that rather than have one very skilled expert relatively expensive nurse go and visit a patient and do everything for them, whether that's helping them in the shower or whether that's tending to the wound on their knee. It might see more efficient to have a lower paid person go and do the shower and then someone with a middle skill do that middle skilled role, and then someone else do that bit. But then what happens is for the person who's receiving that care, they're seeing five or ten different people in a week, and this happens all the time in the UK, whereas actually it can be more efficient if you have one person who goes and really gets.
Speaker 2: To know them.
Speaker 1: This nurse gave me an example of a client that she had where she saw that the sandwich that she'd made for her was in the bin sort of three days in a row, and she said, if there have been different people coming in every day, they wouldn't have noticed that, or they might not have thought anything more about it. But she sort of had noticed and so she could have a conversation about it. But she said, actually, losing your appetite can be a sign that you're dying. You know, that appetite is the first thing to go. Or it could be that she hates that kind of cheese, but actually if you don't have some continuity, then you lose all of that, and fundamentally those things do matter. That's why we often end up sort of running faster and faster in these systems because we're chasing after efficiency in one way, but actually we're just sort of causing many other inefficiencies that we're not quite capable of counting.
Speaker 2: Pushback that sort of somewhat pessimistic slant on your book is just you know that you and many others, but you in particularly because you really have got your feet and hands dirty in the workplace, have been talking about the dehumanization of work for a long time, and you had gone to that Amazon factory, and you also highlighted other ways in which people's jobs had just got worse, particularly in the lower half of the income distribution. So given that it's been going this way for a long time, it does seem at least possible that AI could make some of these things better. And actually you described someone who was in a very dehumanizing job nearly killed him, and then thanks to the Internet age was able to develop a whole new business that couldn't have been a thriving business. I think ten or twenty years ago.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I think this goes back to the point that people fundamentally have more agency in this than we give them credit for, and often people don't really wait for policymakers or trade unions or tech entrepreneurs to solve their problems for them. So this guy was a truck driver and he was working around the clock, particularly during COVID during the lockdowns, obviously truck drivers were designated as key workers. There was a massive shortage of them, and so it became a really intense job. Had a very scary moment where he was sort of suffering from exhaustion and realized that he just wasn't safe to drive anymore, and so he decided he'd sort of developed this quite unusual hobby which he was doing in his spare time when he wasn't driving trucks, which was there's a website called findergrave dot com where you can go and find graves on behalf of people who might be in a different country and are trying to find their ancestors, and they'll say, hey, can anyone find this person? I think they're buried in this graveyard. So it's a bit like a treasure hunt for him. It was just nice to get out into the fresh air do something a bit different. But he decided along his travels, he realized that a lot of these graves were just looking really sad, you know, bedraggled, not cared for. And so he had a week off from work and he's set up a website and became a gravetender, and he has done phenomenally well. You know, he has amazing reviews on his Facebook page. And I went and spent a day with him in a graveyard watching him work. And he has to developed like such a kind of pride and craft in this job. He's figured out all the best tools for it. His favorite thing he takes like a before photo and an after photo, and then at night he just sits and like flicks through his photos and just feels kind of proud of what he's done. And so, yeah, he himself without the help of anyone, but certainly, as you say with I guess the help of the fact that the Internet exists, and it's.
Speaker 2: Now finegrave dot com exists, knows how you found that originally.
Speaker 1: And also, let's face it, he set up his business in a week. It's much easier to do that. And even now with these new AI tools, it will become even easier to become a one band or an entrepreneur, being able to code a website, to create marketing materials. All of that is now much much cheaper, and so, you know, I do think one of the kind of hopeful outcomes could be that a lot of people can become more entrepreneurial and just start things for themselves that they want to do.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm determined to end an AI focused episode on an upbeat note. So, Sarah O'Connor, thank you so.
Speaker 1: Much, Thank you for having me, Thanks for listening.
Speaker 2: To Trumpnomics from Bloomberg. It was hosted by me, Stephanie Flanders, and I was joined by Sarah O'Connor, author, columnist and associate editor at The Financial Times. Trumponomics was produced by Moses Ander and Samma Sadi with help from Amy Kean, and sound design was by Blake Maples and Kelly Garry. And to help others find us, please rate and review it highly wherever you listen.