Speaker 1: Welcome into the Ravens Press Pass Podcast. Training Camp practice continued today in Owings Mills for the Baltimore Ravens, and after practice, we had the chance to hear from head coach John Harbaugh, quarterbacks coach Tea Martin, and quarterback Josh Johnson. We'll get things started today with head coach John Harbaugh.
Speaker 2: You see that death about that.
Speaker 3: A lot of excitement about that. I mean we have gone against each other. We've probably done that about enough for now. We'll get back at it next week, but then we have the commanders coming in, so we're looking forward to those practices in that game.
Speaker 2: But the next step is.
Speaker 3: To get on the field and play a game with the guys that are gonna play and see how they do.
Speaker 4: How good is good to have a good naber back on the field daycap your head and what it's just what they have about hearing in trot to look play.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean he's doing a great job. I think we'll see as we go, but it's very promising right now. You look good to be and I'm excited to see him out there. Obviously big for us, gratifying rock drafted late and you got he really is to see him become the player he's become, person, the leader he's become.
Speaker 2: Then they get to get rewarded for like that.
Speaker 3: It's it's a it's just it's great for him his family. Obviously, it's also great as a message. It's great as a message in terms of what it takes to be successful in this league, in terms.
Speaker 2: Of him good really good question.
Speaker 3: You know, how how's the offense reacted to the growing page of a new offense going in?
Speaker 2: You know, I think they've done great. We're better every day. It becomes sharp and crisper every day. We will find out when we play games.
Speaker 3: I mean, obviously that's more of a of a of a telltale than practices, but I feel good about where we're in practice, and I am looking forward to seeing what it looks like this.
Speaker 5: I mean, Odell walks.
Speaker 6: Out, it's soon the reaction that kids have to hit like you know.
Speaker 2: There's been stars in a scene, but O'Dell.
Speaker 3: Gets up the massive It's just exciting for the hold, for the guys. I mean, every player that walks up there does a great job. You saw Tucker, you know Lamar obviously, all the other guys working working down here, so many kids here. I just it's amazing to me how many kids come to our training camp. I mean it's gotta be kids like four to one, five to one. You know, it's really fun and they're into it. Man, it's I'd love that.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 3: You have to love Ravens flock, you know, the flock, Ravens Nation, all the different things that we call it. I heard Ray, we we're doing the Ravens. Uh, we're our a v e n s Ravens.
Speaker 2: Now, we're doing that now? Huh, I like it.
Speaker 7: I like it.
Speaker 2: We'll take it, will you?
Speaker 7: Is it?
Speaker 3: The Eagles can have their e A g l e s, We'll take our r a v n s. Right, two different words.
Speaker 8: That's pork Anderson.
Speaker 7: He's always so.
Speaker 5: Competitive one against the thirteen then and he's still heavily involved catching gasses. Can share in frustration and he doesn't make it play. How do you celebrate that? And jeams that will wrangle it in when you know it's fourteen days again and he's still going a million miles an.
Speaker 3: Now what you said speaks volumes. I think that really obviously honestly says it all.
Speaker 2: That's who he is.
Speaker 3: He wants to make plays. He wants the ball, he wants to be perfect in his routes, he wants to block people. That's just who Mark is. I think he sets a tone for a whole team.
Speaker 6: Camarat quarterback camps can be a little bit difficult because we thoughts are going to give him the margin if you get a.
Speaker 7: Lot of rocks in.
Speaker 2: No, no, Omaro's not gonna play any.
Speaker 3: Game, you know, but he it's it's an issue, there's no question. But we've had those guys who been kind of just been in and out. You know, Peppy's coming back, so you know it's it's not a new injury or anything like that, but he's got he's got to bring it back and get up to speed. And then these little tweaky things that are happening to the guys are you know, they're annoying, there's no doubt about it. And they're and the players are annoyed by it too, you know. So uh yeah, we've got we got to look at that for sure.
Speaker 7: A couple of talking about.
Speaker 6: You talk about and play and after coming.
Speaker 3: Up to that, right well, Tailand and James, you know, those guys are having a great both having great camps, making.
Speaker 2: A lot of plays.
Speaker 3: And and I would also add, you know, Tread has done a great job, made a bunch of plays. Tree Black has made a bunch of plays. Shamar made a nice play out there today. Young receivers are doing a great job. I mean really, all the way through the group, those guys have really showed up, you know, not just the top five guys. You know we talked about, but the top five guys have done well too. I mean, Duvernet Dove had a couple of big plays today.
Speaker 2: So I was to see the.
Speaker 3: Deep balls today. You know, we connected on a number of deep balls there, which was good to see. So happy with those guys.
Speaker 8: As the water of the.
Speaker 2: Melphin say no, Lamartha se John, did you get a chance? Oh yeah, I think so.
Speaker 3: I mean I haven't heard otherwise, you know, and you know, so you're saying we still got a chance, you know, we've we've got a chance. And uh, and then we're looking at we're looking at other guys too, you know, visit in the past.
Speaker 2: So I don't think the doors closed on any of those guys.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 2: He had a really good visit.
Speaker 3: So as far as the game kind of your question, you won't be seeing any of the established starters in this game, some of the young If guys a real young starter, maybe he'll get a few reps, but none of the established starters.
Speaker 2: Johnny, this isn't a Harrison question, but it's interesting to say, Like Billy, I don't think they have back with that practices more than once in the first couple of weeks.
Speaker 7: I did. You guys have kind of have that defense years.
Speaker 5: But how much do you think it's the volume the practices had, reality that you guys teach, and just like the drafted has contributed in any ways the pass that you guys want.
Speaker 2: You know, it's a great question. Do we do believe in our process?
Speaker 7: We do trust it.
Speaker 2: It has evolved over the years to your point.
Speaker 3: You know, it's different than it was fifteen years ago, ten years ago, five years ago, and it'll probably change in the next five years as well.
Speaker 2: And I don't mean to say it's just becoming to be less.
Speaker 3: I think a lot of it's smart. I mean, you talk to these guys and you look at the analytics on it. They're expending a lot of energy out there, They're working hard. They try to do it in ways to keep them safe, but also getting ready to play as best we can. You know, those aren't I don't think conflicting necessarily conflicting goals. You know, you wanted to go together as much as you can make it happen, and they've done a great job. Plus, our guys have taken care of each other within the plays really well. So I'm really proud of that. I mean, I expect us to be in really good shape.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 3: Now, they're not coming off a much rest. You know, they're gonna go into that game a little bit not completely recovered, because that's how training camp is. So I'm looking forward to seeing how we play and how we execute Saturday night, got it.
Speaker 7: I think.
Speaker 3: If you have a you could help decide that absolutely after the games will go a long way in deciding that, you know, that order, that pecking order there. I would say this, all those guys have shown that they're capable of being that guy. You know, everybody, all the three quarterbacks after Lamar have proven that they're capable of being the backup quarterback here.
Speaker 2: And doing a great job. Now we'll just see who separates you. Is that a guy you'd like to see see? It's a possibility. Yeah, it's a possibility. You'd like to see him. You'd like to see him out there.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 2: In terms of just having a sense in the game.
Speaker 3: Before the first regular season game, well, I'll have to see how healthy is and where we're at.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Ravens Press Past podcast. That was head coach John Harbaugh talking to the media after today's training camp practice. Now let's hear from the Ravens quarterbacks coach t marked.
Speaker 7: What's everybody doing? A get it ready?
Speaker 4: He's developed so much and progressed in our system from being here uh during the off season football school ota SUH. From learning everything that we talk about in the playbook, operating at the line of scrimmage, UH, taking control and command at the line of scrimmage when he's changing plays, UH, doctoring protections. And then from a technique standpoint, he's come a long way. There were some things that we want to focus on in terms of his throwing motion, in terms of his base, uh when he gets moved in the pocket to allow him to be more accurate downfill. A lot of him have more you know, steam on throws or intermediate throws, and accuracy on short throws. That he took it upon himself to listen and take the individual work that we do onto the field, and we've seen a tremendous amount of growth in him. So I'm happy about how far he's come from where we started. The narrow the base, shortened the stride, and kind of quick enough to release a little bit. A lot of it has to do with knowing where you're going with the ball pre and post snap, as well to where you can get a line to anticipate things.
Speaker 8: That has a lot to do with it. But those were some of the things that we focused on.
Speaker 7: As as the other guys.
Speaker 4: It's been a healthy competition, you know, with three guys behind Lamar with Anthony, Josh and Snoop, they're all having good days and uh, you know, it's good to say, well, we have four guys who are competing and playing at a high level. You know, we're still not there yet in terms of deciding on who will be to that'll continue on through our camp, but I think Snoop has come along with Josh being a veteran that he is, there's things that he has in his game where you're going, yeah, I see why he's played sixteen years in the league. And then Anthony's super talented as well and had an opportunity to play some last year on the road in Pittsburgh, had a good performance at Cincinnati, so we know that he can play in games as well.
Speaker 8: So we have a really good room. They're competing right now and doing a good job. See what are you see specifically yall jobs.
Speaker 7: And then tying the serf specific si the city, the pay.
Speaker 4: I think that both of them are running our system the way we wanted to be ran. I think Todd and myself we're doing a good job of allowing them to have freedom at the line of scrimmens to change things and when they do, to know why they're doing it and doing it for the right reasons.
Speaker 8: I think they're both making great decisions within the system.
Speaker 4: Outside of that, I think Josh with his leadership and experience, you know, his anticipation and knowing what's coming, reading defenses and things of that nature, that's kind of where he's at and that's where his experience kind of shows. And then Snoop is doing the same. He's played a lot of football around here and his athleticism shows as we all know. But the both of them are kind of neck and neck in terms of what they're doing for us within the system, and we'll just continue on with the competition.
Speaker 8: But I just want them to stay consistent.
Speaker 4: I want Johnson continue to be consistent of the things that he's doing, and Snoop consistently doing the things that he's doing, taking care of the football, making good decisions, and putting the balls in the hands of the guys that we have so many weapons around us now to distribute the ball to.
Speaker 5: With example and Day.
Speaker 2: And Nelson, Lamar's got like three guys.
Speaker 7: Never thought.
Speaker 6: Where do you see like now like a proper and he getting to know where you want to and Grado how that's going.
Speaker 8: It's got really good.
Speaker 4: And what's great about him is they're communicating and talking so much with Lamar and talking about what they like, what they don't like. Lamar is talking about how he thinks and where he's gonna place the ball, a lot of it. You know, you catch up with guys who haven't been around all of them together during the offseason. They did get together some you know, on their own before they came to training camp. But what we've seen and what I've seen is the communication when they're in. When they're not in, you know they missed one, they get right to it and talk about what happened. And uh, that's that's improvement from the years I've been here and having coach the wide receivers. That speaks to the veteran leadership of Odell Nelson. You know, Zay being young and kind of watching those guys, that's a good room to come into as a rookie wide receiver. And there Rashad, you know all those guys right, So I think Lamar is doing a better job of communicating and talking about what he thinks and how he sees things to them. Uh, and that that's that's a that's a step up from years past. I think the US as building. You know, when you have someone as talented as he is, some guys may get covered in certain situations where he has a little nuanced at the top of his route to where he can still win. And even when he's covered, his catch radius and the strength of his hands allows you as a quarterback to still trust him. And you may hang on that route a little longer with Odell, and you may get off of it with someone else. And that's what I've seen with just his skill set of strong hands in and out of breaks, strength, jumping ability. You know, he's unique in terms of his size, but how explosive he can still play. Let me see, it's just his anticipation of coverage blitzes, and his understanding of the concepts and playing within our system and not getting bored, not getting bored with being disciplined, not getting bored with being disciplined. Sometimes it could be bored to check it down to the back right, but that's better than throwing a pick right.
Speaker 8: And we saw that last Saturday. We had nine of them right, but since then we've only had one.
Speaker 4: And that just speaks to those guys making corrections and knowing I kind of got out of the system a little bit. Let's get back within the system. Sometimes my competitive nature can take over, but this is not the time. And that's where I've seen him grow. He's very competitive, very competitive, and he's so skilled and sometimes he can he can make those plays, but within the confines of what we're trying to do situationally and what we're asking of that play.
Speaker 7: He just got in town like diagnationship put.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but that's something that we talked about, like after the first, after each week, I go over stats and where we've been accurate and where we can improve as a group, and then individually. And we spoke of that after the first week and uh and he was like okay, And you know, in Lamar's getting motivated about something. He kind of lookten to this guys like, all right, we're gonna see about that. And so he spends the time with the guys to do it. And we stress it as coaches about ball placement, about trust, about why it else being at their spot and us trusting him to be there and putting the ball there.
Speaker 8: So it's a two way street.
Speaker 4: But I think that the main thing about it was he took it to pun himself to really focus on that part the last week or so to be better at it. And you saw a throw yesterday. We really looked the safeties off, didn't see Odell at all and threw it to a spot and it was perfect throw.
Speaker 8: We got a PI.
Speaker 4: But that's that's growth. That's growth, and we want to continue to do that throughout camping throughout the season.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Ravens Press Past podcast. You just heard from coach t Martin and now last but not least. Here's what QB Josh Johnson said to the media after today's practice.
Speaker 7: Wow, so Ba mean you've had a lot of experience, know about playing.
Speaker 6: The quarter It's been going well. Uh it's a process. Uh for me, just enjoying uh, one day at a time, Like you know, the the order I get. I guess you could said the more wiser I've gotten. You know, it's truly a one day journey. It's a one period journey, a one play journey.
Speaker 7: And that's for me.
Speaker 6: I just try to focus on, you know, going out there and you know, being right for that right play. It's uh, you know, always not gonna be. It's gonna be things you gotta work on daily. There's been a lot of good for us, you know, considering we all learn a new language, all getting to know each other and getting to know coach monkeys offense.
Speaker 8: I would say, you all again sit for another two jobs. So it's going to.
Speaker 6: I mean, swoops a hell of a quarterback, you know, I'm you know, I feel like I'm a hell of a quarterback. Anthony's a hell of a quarterback. Obviously, Lamar is proven to be, you know, the top quarterback in the league. Uh, And for us, it's just about you know, getting better each day and making each other better each day. We got a great caaraderie in the room. We don't really worry about, you know, competition. From that standpoint, we compete against the defense, you know. I think that's the most important thing for us, to just go out there and try to execute and move to offense and put up points on the boards.
Speaker 2: Pretty season winning.
Speaker 5: Is that anything that you're aware of.
Speaker 2: I'm got to keep that in mind, Like, all right, I'm gonna be a quarterback. I wanna keep this thing rolling.
Speaker 7: The goal is to win every game you step on the field.
Speaker 6: So, uh, I'm aware of it because I've been a part of preseason here, but also you know, I've also been in other places. Uh, to my knowledge, is a pretty long winning streak. But the focus is, you know, when you go out and step on the field, no matter what the situation is, is to is to win football games.
Speaker 7: That's what we all evaluated upon.
Speaker 6: You know, that's the most important thing, you know, and that's what makes this organization great because you know, everything is about winning gold.
Speaker 1: You were here not too long ago.
Speaker 3: This offense.
Speaker 6: More quoted, you know, it's just it's a different approach. Uh, you know how we're going about the game. You know, lamarren Snoop was a lot younger than the approach now, you know, is to put more on us on the quarterback. And I feel like all the guys are handling the whill. Coach Monkin has been great. Tea's been great.
Speaker 7: Carry's been great, just and communicating to us, you know.
Speaker 6: Giving us that freedom to be able to operate, you know how we see the game, and we all got different skill sets and it's just been a you know, a you know, a fun process that we all collective we have been taking on daily as a group, and we're enjoying it.
Speaker 2: We got a chance to seek out a lot of teams in training camp.
Speaker 7: But put success for you about free. Coach Charbag gives everybody opportunity.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 6: And you know, I would say, like a player that if you don't like the work, you're gonna see it as it's a hard training camp. But if you appreciate the work and understand, you know, what reps do for you, you know, you'd be very grateful for that. That's what I remembered the last time I was here for training camp, same situation here. We all get opportunity and we all uh you know, in each rep, you know, you bank them and when you bank them, you know, that's the opportunity for you to see where you're at in the system, so you can.
Speaker 7: Go out there and play as comfortably as possible. Mark different rest the basic practice. No, I don't see it as hard.
Speaker 6: And I'm thirty seven, Uh, one of the other guys on the team, and just for me, it's uh, it's more of a testament to where you know, my routine is, you know my mental you know forty to two, you know, the grind of it all. For me, I played, I went through a season last year, went to the NFC Championship, so I understand what it takes. And uh, I think all this stuff is just building that process to where you know, we want you to get in the season. It's on autopilot, which I think as an organization, we want to be on that because we got big aspirations.
Speaker 7: So I'm keeping out here that of trying out to slay a lot of training caps.
Speaker 2: It keeps you moutidated.
Speaker 7: I mean personally, you know, I have goals.
Speaker 6: You know, I said goals, just like any other player, and uh, you know, until I accomplished those goes, I'm gonna I'm gonna pursue them.
Speaker 7: But for me, it's just you know, you know, grated.
Speaker 6: I'm very grateful, you know, to be able to do something that most people get the dream of. You know, I've been on the outside looking in in some of my years. You know, I've been I've been in the team that went to the MC Championship. I've been on team for two games. You know, my journey is my journey, and it's very unique. But one thing that's consistent. You know, I feel like it's like it's just a representation of what life is for most of us.
Speaker 7: You know, I think it's hard for all of us. We can respectively say that.
Speaker 6: But I think for me, it's about, you know, how do I appreciate what I've had and what I've been given and being able to try to continue to maximize that and as long as you know, God gives me the physical ability to continue to go out here.
Speaker 7: I love to play football. I want to continue to pursue it. One or two you can share, you know, I keep those to the chest, you know what I mean.
Speaker 6: I'm not I'm not. I feel like, you know, where I'm at in my career. It's not about talking about it. You know, I just got to go out there and prove it. And that's to me, what I focus on is just going out there and just you know, getting a job done, because what I say doesn't really matter if we don't take care of business. And then if we go take care of business, you know, you know, it'll be speak for yourself job far to your wins.
Speaker 7: Twenty two persould take out a little bit of that, uh said.
Speaker 6: It speaks a lot, you know to you know, how they how they developed the developed the team and uh just what I know about you know, preseason and how you never you planning for your team that you own, but you know, obviously it's only fifty three spots, and you always planning for another team as well. And you know the goal is, you know, for us to all go out to perform well, to make it hard on this organization, and then obviously the people that you know can't make it here, they're gonna make it somewhere and then be able to have a career. And I think that's you know, that's what it's about. In the NFL, just being able to make sure you get to that next opportunity.
Speaker 5: Yeah, somewhere from hanging around, you can stick around.
Speaker 7: Yeah yeah, I think so, Yeah, I think so. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Thank you for listening to the Ravens Press Past podcast. As always, please subscribe and don't forget to leave a rating and a review.
Speaker 5: Here.
Speaker 1: On Raven's Press Pass, you can hear all the Ravens media availabilities from players and coaches all throughout training camp, so if you missed an episode, feel free to go back and check it out. And if you haven't already, please subscribe to the Lounge podcast, as Garrett and Ryan give their training camp takeaways and sit down with players to get their thoughts on camp as well. You can find the Lounge and Raven's Press Pass wherever you get your podcasts. Thank you for listening and we'll talk to you again soon