Speaker 1: There's more than one way to skin the cat of etymology, it's one more thing. I'm strong, and one more thing. So first, Joe used the disgusting phrase more than one way to skin a cat, which we got off on wondering where that comes from, and a whole bunch of people texted, it's catfish, it's the way to skin catfish. That mayn't be true. That may not be I even looked it up. And even if I look it up and find it, that doesn't mean it's accurate because some other website will say something different. That's it within a week anyway, Right, That's been my history of these things. But Joe also used the phrase screwed and tattooed, which I was actually wondering about somewhat and apparently the actual phrases, and I've heard this before screwed, ballued, and tattooed.
Speaker 2: Please tell me this is not horrifying because I used it, you know on the r it can be any of it.
Speaker 1: At least three things. Where this came from? This this.
Speaker 3: So blued, that's grammatically incorrect.
Speaker 1: Well on this one, it's it came from ship's mechanics, tighten all parts and screws use bluing to stain the metal, which is something you do, put an inspection mark through the blue paint with a tool, and to tattoo the part to show that it has been taken care of.
Speaker 3: Screwed blue, its completely taken.
Speaker 1: Care of, right, or it could be this. Before shipping out from a foreign port, call a sailor would see a local working girl. That would be the screwed portion of the conversation. After that he'd dress in his navy blue uniform to head back to the ship. Then he'd get another tattoo to remember where he had been.
Speaker 2: Okay, bullshit on that one, but it's charming anyway.
Speaker 1: I don't know if I believe that one. And then also the one.
Speaker 2: Tane charming, you know, including the hooker and everything, but at least I don't know.
Speaker 1: So apparently back in the day, and again this is yet another version of this. Back in the day in the Navy, you would take a mercury pill, which was a blue pill, to treat the syphilis you got while you were in you know, in town, while you're doctor or whatever. So you got screwed, you got syphilis, you got blued. With the medicine to treat the syphilis, and then you'd show your ship's tattoo to avoid being pressed into service on another ship to get out of town.
Speaker 3: Huh. I feel like it almost feels like a game show, Katie, doesn't it.
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm gonna go with answer A. I think the first one sounds the most legit out of those three.
Speaker 1: Uh i uh. I find it interesting that there are all kinds of words and phrases that we use because we know what we know what you're trying to say with them. But like the origin will turn out to be very very different or whatever. It doesn't make any difference. It just doesn't make any difference. If it's being it's been used for the last fifty years to communicate a certain thing, what difference does the origin make at that point? Does it make any difference?
Speaker 2: It's it's interesting, I'm charming, but no, it means what it means currently. Yeah, it's like the whole idiotic BLM. And again you have to remember all of that crap was fake. It was designed to overthrow the powers that be in Western civilization. So the idea that you couldn't use the term picnic, it was just an effort to get you to obey them anyway, just to they are calling the shots. They will tell you what you can say and what you can't say. The idea was to get you on your heels anyway. I came across another list of.
Speaker 3: Possibilities of what it might mean.
Speaker 1: Well, it's like funny, a common one we got. We spent a lot of time on this. Some politician used the term, I think balls to the walls, and then people were horrified about it, and then everybody got into the etymology of that, and then some of them it was, you know, sexual, and some of them it was mechanical. Mare. It's all kinds of different, had to do with trains or planes or whatever. It wasn't sexual at all, right.
Speaker 2: Or yeah, I can't remember what it was, but it wasn't.
Speaker 3: It was completely not sexual.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Do you have any look on skinning a cat there, Katie, Now not yet. Well, we got a bunch of texts on that pole cat, which is a raccoon, is often referred to as a cat, and you did skin raccoons because the fur trade was a really big deal. Yeah, so that could Yeah, that's probably where it came from, probably eighteen hundreds, you know, of fur traders.
Speaker 2: But again to your point, using that expression doesn't mean you're soft on raccoon skinning or fur in general, or.
Speaker 1: Know anything about the multiple ways to get the hide off of raccoon, right exactly.
Speaker 2: It's it's irrelevant to say, you know, that's actually an expression that means, you know, that's interesting, but just quit with It's that weird presentism thing, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's another form of that.
Speaker 2: It's just a fake, annoying way to show moral superiority.
Speaker 1: So there was an editor's note on one of these that said sybilist is actually incurable and mercury will not help. But it was believed at the time that it was well certainly still incurable.
Speaker 2: No, no, you can cure it with antibiotics unless it goes too far.
Speaker 1: Why does Katie? Why does Joon know so much about I'm kind of curious myself there, Joe. I don't actually know if syphilis is like a common current one or if it's an old timy one. Is it a common one? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Absolutely? Yeah, Yeah, I don't.
Speaker 1: Know for all yours.
Speaker 3: I'm telling you. I tell you what.
Speaker 2: By the third time I got the treatment, I could have done it myself.
Speaker 1: I said, I can give me the needle, had your miroscope, and you'd put a little sample under there. A lot looks like simphle, it's again, diy, Oh my goodness, hey.
Speaker 3: Honey, syphiliss again.
Speaker 2: I used to work the venereal disease desk the Armstrong and Getdy Show. I remember, especially when we were just a local show in northern California. The statistics would come out every year, and you know, upsurges in gonna rhea and syphilis or whatever in the state of California. Some department put out a report and I'd always bring it.
Speaker 3: Up, see how the state's doing. Hey, gotta rea down, but syphilis up?
Speaker 1: Folks?
Speaker 3: Where that condom? Come on?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 1: I've never understood how old time the Old West prostitution worked. It's just I don't know. It's pre condom. I just what was going on there?
Speaker 3: Well, they had condoms preest before the modern.
Speaker 1: Using them.
Speaker 3: I don't know. I wasn't there they were.
Speaker 1: I don't actually know. But like when you watch those old timey Westerns and everybody's kind of just joking about going upstairs with the local harlet, it's gotta be disgusting.
Speaker 2: Nobody shower abortions, abortions, and and and VD.
Speaker 1: Well and just just being grossly dirty. In addition to all that, it's just ah.
Speaker 3: Well, they had water. You could take a bath. You've seen the Westerns where you lay there in the.
Speaker 1: Like once a month after a cattle drive or something.
Speaker 3: Put as long as it's before the sex.
Speaker 1: And how long since? When did she take her the most recent bath?
Speaker 3: I don't know, ask her. Besides, we did a syphilis soon, don't worry about it.
Speaker 4: Here's a fun fact. In the late eighteenth cent made out of sheep guts, condoms were soaked for a couple of hours and then made to have them be pliable afterwards, and then they would put a ribbon at the end of.
Speaker 1: Its especially for the holidays.
Speaker 3: Santa hat. Another possibility
Speaker 2: Old timey condoms like great stocking stuff for well, I guess that's it.