Speaker 1: From Kaleidoscope and iHeart Podcasts. I'm Chris Guyamali This is Superhuman. I did a ton of interviews over the course of this series, and one that really informed how I think about this whole world was my conversation with doctor Mike Isertel. Mike has a PhD in sports physiology, co founded the fitness company ARP Strength, and is a competitive bodybuilder and Brazilian jiu jitsu black belt. He's also one of the most candid voices on the Internet when it comes to what performance enhancement actually feels like from the inside. We didn't talk about whether steroids are good or bad. We had a conversation about what steroids do to your body, to your mind, your recovery, your mood, your relationships, and your judgment. We also get into where he thinks all of this is heading, and his answer might surprise you. He's not a cheerleader for the status quo. He thinks the entire category of anabolic steroids may be obsolete within a decade, and he makes a pretty interesting case for why.
Speaker 2: Hey, guys, my name is doctor my Chisratel. I have a PhD in sport physiology. I've been a professor at several major institutions and talk courses like nutrition, exercise science courses or some training courses. I'm a co founder of the company RB Strength, and I regularly produce content for social media that attempts to educate people about how to get more jacked, more lean, and have a little bit of farm while we're.
Speaker 1: Doing in, Mike, thanks so much for doing this. Man, So little background on us for both martial arts bros. So you have taken over both of our algorithms in very powerful ways online.
Speaker 2: That sucks. I'm sorry, No, it's.
Speaker 1: Good shit, man. Yeah, if you don't mind, can you tell us a little bit about your basic athletic background.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So, I was born in Moscow, Russia, in nineteen eighty four, and my first involvement with sport was playing soccer indoors in Russia. When I was younger, I really liked to wrestle my friends and stuff, and eventually that led me to start wrestling. In high school, I played basketball recreationally, but at three intersections of Jewish, five foot six and on athletic basketball didn't really work for me. I had aspirations of a career, and so I took to wrestling pretty decently. Wrestled in high school, and then I started lifting for wrestling, fell in love with lifting, powerlifted competitively in college, and then started bodybuilding competitively when I was in my PhD program, and then after a PhD, got my first professor job at the University of Central Missouri, where during the interview process I met a future would be a great friend of mine, doctor Jen Case, and she was already highly competitive of jiu jitsu. And so I started my jiu jitsu journey when I was twenty nine years old something like that. Wow, And two years ago ish I got promoted to black belt in jiu jitsu. And so wrestling, powerlifting, bodybuilding, and britiller jiu jitsu that I think is most of my athletic competitive careers.
Speaker 1: How did you get into powerlifting in the first place?
Speaker 2: I was bench pressing at the Jewish Community Center in metropolitan Detroit and there was a local gentleman named Bill who was a competitive powerlifter. Once he saw me bench and he was like, hey, like, you know, if you have talent, he could actually like learn to bench press. And I was like, teach me, please, and he just taught me how to arch and retract, which is like the two things most people don't know about bench pressing, and that unlocks like fifty pounds on your bench within a few weeks. And he's like, I'm going to teach you how to do this. Here are all the principles. Took five minutes, and he's like, it's your The bench is going to go down at first, and it's going to go way, way way up. And I was like, okay, cool. I bit the bullet and then I learned how to bench, and my bench went down and then it went up, up, up, up, up up. I looked up some Federation records and I realized it could break like a Federation world record with my bench press when I was nineteen that was benching like three sixty three seventy raw at look one hundred and eighty ish pounds. So I went competed in bench press only competition, broke that Federation record and it was really fun and I was really jealously that the other guys got to squad and deadlift to two. I was full send into powerlifting for like four years after that.
Speaker 1: Holy shit, man, what's your pr now for the bench?
Speaker 2: My PR for the bench is three hundred and eighty pounds Jesus Graze.
Speaker 1: Wow, yeah, amazing.
Speaker 2: It's not amazing at all for my size and the amounto of steroids. But I do like that you say that I had chest injury when I was powerlifting and it prevented me from really getting as good at benching as I would have liked.
Speaker 1: Were the injuries sort of your entry point to being curious about steroids and peds?
Speaker 2: It was really the fact that when my friends and I were coming up and being fans of bodybuilding, before we ever did any bodybuilding, the predominant media around bodybuilding was of enhanced bodybuilders. And that's just something we thought, like, you just get some point, you just become enhanced. That's just what you do, and so that's just what we did. It was as body simple as that. You know. It's like, you know, Michael Jordan wears basketball shoes. Eventually you have enough money, you buy basketball shoes.
Speaker 1: Do you remember what the first ped that you tried was.
Speaker 2: Yeah, testosterone and anthete at five hundred milligrams per week.
Speaker 1: Oh wow? And what did that do to your body and your mind? After a week or so of trying it?
Speaker 2: After a week or so, it did absolutely nothing. Yeah, several weeks in the first thing I felt was that my work capacity was really substantially higher. My recovery ability was higher, both acutely and chronically. So I have a distinct memory of doing I think it was like bent over rose, and typically, like after four or five sets of rows, I would just be like systemically very tired, like ugh that feeling. And then I remember that a few weeks of maybe a month or two on steroids, I had done multiple sets of bent rows, and I was like, I feel fine, I could just keep going, and I did, and so I was like, whoa, Okay, that's different. And then the next thing I felt was right clinical grade health anxiety. So I would hear my own heartbeat as I was falling asleep, and I was like, this is for sure like my last heartbeat. Ever, so the anxiety was like, look insane and has persisted for a long time.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh. And then what did sort of like layering on new like treatments look like after that for you?
Speaker 2: So I got into some eq equipoise. I think that was like an extra three hundred milligrams on top of that, so it's eight hundred total and I had done a fat loss phase during that time when I lost zero strength during the fat loss phase, and at the end of that phase, it was like the first time in my life I had ever seen a semblance of abdominal musculature and I was like, WHOA, that's neat. That never happened before. And then a little bit after that, I tried some Trend because I was hanging out mostly with powerlifters and they just had really prepread simple way of doing things. The first time I tried TRENT, I did seventy five milligrams of Trend in one injection because that's just what you did every other day. It was kind of starting dose and I had unbelievable maybe panic attack is how you could call it. Like I was very aware of it's going on, but I remember feeling a sensation of imminent death, like I knew I was going to die real soon. I didn't know it logically, but I felt that I was going to die really soon. And this happened like twenty four hours injecting. So I actually went home and got my laptop open and just started journaling my thoughts. I was like, whoa, this is this is a neat don't want to feel like this for much longer. And I talked to a friend of mine who was a neuroscientist, and I was like, dude, it's crazy. Seventy five is the starter dose, but for me it's nuts. I was like, I should maybe cut it in half, and he goes, why don't you cut it in a quarter? I was like, eighteen seventy five are not so nobody does that. He's like, try it. I tried it. I was able to do eventually. So I did that for two weeks, and then I did another week and a half or so at thirty seven five. That really eased me in and I remember losing like a like a visible amount of body fat while on trend in just three three and a half weeks. I was like, WHOA, Holy shit. And I felt very, very different strength wise. There's lots I can talk about how the sensation of being on PDS feels a little different. I had another experience with anavar a little bit later, which was similar as far as how strength feels when you're on drugs, and so that to me, it was like, holy crap. And so I messed around with test and NPP adrelum FENL propionate and trend and EQ. For several years with I was putting on plenty of muscle, but I didn't really know what I was doing drug wise, and I would absolutely not recommend taking that specific path for people who want to enhancemen.
Speaker 1: Why where are you getting your information from? Was it from online or from people that you knew a.
Speaker 2: Little bit online, a little bit people that I knew prior combination of the two, and a lot of internal reasoning to see what ideas had coherence and what ideas didn't. As a either online or in person, when you talk to any one source or read any one source, you can take sort of two things from it. At least one is the actual literal information, and the other is the degree at which that information has two kinds of coherence. One is internal coherence and the other is external coherence. So internal coherence means, like, somebody gives you a paragraph about drugs, here's how train works. If the internal coherence is low, you're like, there are parts of this paragraph that contradict other parts, and actually the whole thing's largely fucking not. And so you're like, okay that I'm going to heavily discount this source because it doesn't seem like this person is somebody who's making any sense. If it high eternal coherence, you're like, well, okay, so in this little paragraph everything blidens up. And then external coherence would be like, what about like how this lines up with other things I've heard? Low external coherence would be like it just really contradicts other things that I've heard. High external coherence would be like, ah, actually makes a lot of sense in the brand scheme. And then a kind of applied coherence, and the last one is real world coherence is like, actually does this match my own experience in how things work? Because once you do drugs for long enough, you like start to know how things feel and how things react. You get a really really good sense of like in the real world, though, is this going to work? Because people say all kinds of things about enhancement, and a bunch of them are like super spot on, and a bunch of them are like that this person is hypothesizing or had a very rare case and it does not generalize. And so based on kind of judging coherence and taking information from real humans and from four on people and reading like a blog post and websites like meso rx dot com. Back in the day, they had like article entries for each kind of steroids. So I consumed a lot of that, and I was kind of building my world model of like what do steroids do, what do they not do? How to properly use them? And that's kind of how I went about it.
Speaker 1: Tell me a little bit more about the strength you were feeling. Did you feel like a superhero, Like what did your body sort of feel like?
Speaker 2: I would say more like a supervillain than a superhero. I was on Alexandra Loan an of Ar, and I was doing the hack squats and it was nearing what I thought was failure, and then I realized, like with gear. Funny enough, it's called gear, I had like a second gear I could switch into, and I just started pushing harder. And I realized two things. One I could just keep going, so I just kept doing reps. And the other was the degree of perceptive tension I felt in my muscles, Like the tension in my quads got to be so high that I instantly had a realization of, ooh, this is how people tear muscles off bones when they're on steroids, Because like The amount of tension I was feeling was like nothing I had ever willfully imposed on myself. And I'd competed in powerlifting, I'd squad of five hundred for reps by then, and I still never fought my quads contract that hard. And so I stopped the set because I was like, it's dumb. This could be really bad. And so from then on I really started to respect the amount of OO you can get out of your muscles if you're enhanced. From then on, I capped my relative effort pretty decently how hard you work in anyone's set, because I realized that it's those tail end two or three reps that have a much higher chance of injuring you if you're enhanced, and you can just flip that switch and just go crazy.
Speaker 1: Are muscle tears pretty common if you're on steroids.
Speaker 2: Much more common than they are when all of steroids. There are two factors largely that account for that. One factor is that when you're stronger, your muscles are stronger, and they're pulling on your attendance, and they can just pull a higher force, and so they have of like a higher probability of breaking those other structures anytime anyone stronger, the probability of injury goes up if they're pushing themselves. The probability of injury going goes down in all of like standard life tasks, because those have a certain level of strength requisite that's just stable. So like probability you get hurt falling goes down exponentially as you get stronger, you're just the same you and you fall the same distance, and then your muscles are stronger, tendons are stronger, But the probability you get hurt bench pressing exponentially skyrockets when you go from three hundred pound bench to four one pound bench to five hundred pound bench. Every six hundred pound bench is testing the limits of am I going to pop my packs today? And the other reason is the steroids can radically increase the strength and size of your muscles, but they don't increase the strength and size of your connective tissues like your tendons, nearly as fast. And so especially if you're early into a steroid cycho, you're going very heavy, it's just been a few weeks and your strength is escalating really fast. That probability that your muscles are now so much stronger than your tendons and so absolutely strong, and it multiplies together and forms a little perfect storm for evulsion injury where your muscles tear, come off the bone and all that other stuff. I mean, one gentleman at a gym UM's training in North Carolina, he took his bench from three point fifteen for one rep max to four h five for one rep max in one month, which is an outlier even for a trend, but possible. If I were him, I would have never attempted four o five after a month, because that is like the exact case, Chris, where like that's how you tear your shit, because think about it, your tendons adapt on months and years of timescale in not weeks. And so he's roughly the same tendon strength as he had a month ago, but his muscles were exhibiting a strength that was twenty five thirty percent higher. You're asking for it. He didn't get hurt, but everyone who doesn't get hurt is a testament to the fact that absolute risk of injury and the gym is very low. The relative risk when you're on a shipload of drugs is much much higher.
Speaker 1: Is there a story that comes to top of mind for you? About feeling more aggressive or particularly anxious after you've been taking this stuff.
Speaker 2: It was headed to the gym quite recently and just taken long oral anavar or alexandrium, and I was driving to the gym, and the var hits pretty fast, especially if the tablet dissolves in your mouth, and so it was kind of like a like a little rocket ride you go on. And I was listening to a podcast and it got me thinking about somebody totally unrelated, and that totally unrelated thought process made me angry, and I just spent like twenty minutes in a car fuming, super fucking pissed. And I was aware, very very coherently at the time that this was pharmacologically induced, but the thought stream of angry thoughts just kept going nonetheless and was very uncomfortable. And so at the same time that I'm experiencing this anger, I'm experiencing a tremendous amount of anxiety about the lift I have coming up. I was hurt the time, like had a back injury, and so I didn't even know if like the libror god I was driving to was even gonna happen, or if I was going to discover like oh shit, like I can't train for a little while because of myron shift fucked up. So it was just absolutely nothing fun about that whatsoever. That's how it felt. Sometimes.
Speaker 1: Have any of those episodes hit you while you were training jiu jitsu?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: What was that like?
Speaker 2: Better? Because jiu jitsu allows you to express some of that better but also sometimes worse. The degree of impatience than I have rises when on steroids, and the degree anxiety rises, and I remember drilling and just just kind of wanting everything to be over, like I just don't want to fucking be here at me anywhere. And that's like not really a good attitude to have for training sport. And then one time I was peeking for a bodybuilding show and I was taking in a steroid called floximesterone Halo testom aka halo Halo's not something else ever take again very likely because it makes me really really angry, but not anxiously angry, righteously angry. And so I remember I had I was a white belt, and I had passed somebody's guard in the gee and went to me on belly. My first thought that I had was, oh, I should reach down and open up their rib cage like that was actually like a thought that entered into my mind that you should do that. And obviously, as I had that thought, I was like, what the why why it's not a jiu jitsu move. It's wildly and realistic. It would kill this person. Everything's wrong with that. They can be wrong with it, And I was like, holy shit, that's a that's an interesting thought. But the amount of like dedication and energy for passing guard that I got from Halo was like monumental. Like you ever rolled with someone and they're like trying to pass your guard and you're like, can't they just give up? Like can't they just get tired? And with Halo, you don't really feel like giving up or getting tired. You're just like a door jam, just blood them to the fucking door. And you know, there's a reason that lots of people in the tasteteroids, you know, enough steroids will give you kind of confidence to some extent, like you know, some people get like precomic anxiety, like they'll see the other guy across the way and you know, like you're registering at your table or whatever in competition, because you know, people will get some thoughts about doubt and stuff like that, like, oh, I'm that guy, Like he's got old team and he's got a bunch of stripes on his belt and what the same belt ring. Maybe he's a killer, you know that thought like that, maybe he's a killer thought or whatever. And like, if you're on enough steroids and you have pretty decent sports psychology, it's easy to get in the mind frame of like, dude, this fucking chump made a stupid decision signing up for my bracket, and I'm gonna show him why. It's really offensive to me that he decided to come here like he shouldn't have and he's going to be in a real nasty, nasty world as soon as possible. And so if you have that kind of mindset, if you're also good, it can help. So however good you are, that kind of confidence mindset of like fuck this chump, that helps, and you know that's like, uh, that's cool. I guess it's not fun, but it works.
Speaker 1: So Wow, when you had that thought about wanting to rip, you know, your training partner's rib cage open, what was your reaction in that moment? Did you pause and bow out or did you keep going?
Speaker 2: I just went chest to chest and went north south and started asserting kee chokes. It's like, know what I'm doing, But I was kind of giggling in my head like whoa, that was weird. It was like surreal, you know, like holy fuck. It's like, you know, if you're on mushrooms and you're at a gas station getting a drink and the person the band encounter looks like their head looks like the sun or something, you're unlikely to just be like, oh, oh sorry, I don't want to drink from the sun. Your pie is still like, oh, here's my credit card, while you're like, oh my god, I just don't say anything, and you walk out and you're like, oh, like I just see that guy's face and just yeah, it look crazy, and you like just laugh about it, like that's kind of how it felt. It wasn't like it didn't throw me off or anything like that, and it's just like a little blip in the radar, like, oh that's interesting.
Speaker 1: So, you know, the sort of stuff is becoming a little bit more normalized throughout the fitness wellness industry in no small part like thanks to your influence and your curiosity and willingness to experiment where are you sort of hoping to see usage like this take the industry as a whole.
Speaker 2: I hope it's going to end within a few years, and I think it will. I think it's a high probability it will. Steroids are a hammer when you need tweezers. What we want from steroids typically maybe an enormous faction of what we wanted as steroids is muscle growth, just skeletal muscle hypertrophy. What we get from them is a hormone that wasn't simply designed to enhance scale of a muscle hypertrophy.
Speaker 1: Can you briefly explain how hypertrophy works?
Speaker 2: So basically like, you have a variety of mechanisms in your muscles that sends a few things and respond by telling the muscle to grow more of itself. The number one of these mechanisms is mechanical tension detectors. Your body detects that there's a lot of mechanical tension and a given muscle, it kind of gives the signal to the rest of the cell, different parts like the nucleus, like hey, yeah, let's start growing some more muscle. And if you get this in a high signal like not just one rep, but multiple reps, not just one step, with multiple sets, and when you're recovered enough halfway through the week to do another multiple sets again, you get this repeated, consistent signal grow Grow, Grow, Grow, and then all of a sudden, you're getting more jacked. And that's kind of a core of how I purchase it works. So you resistant strain, lift heavy things, impose mechanical tension, and then if you eat enough protein and calories, then you get more jacked over several months, and then if you keep going several years and so on, so forth. The testosterone hormone is designed to do one very specific things to masculinize an entire organism, and that means grow hair, increase the amount of oil secreted by the skin, deep in the voice, give you more male like thoughts, aggression, lower verbal fluency, all these things that just have absolutely nothing to do with muscle growth. And so what we're looking at now, who's a very different environment where aipowered drug discovery is going to be like the big story of the late twenty twenties. And so we're also in this world where we have this incredible constant proof of concept with the weight loss drugs that have recently come up, so like ozenpic and Manjaro and all those other drugs, and so it was possible to get drugs that does like a really really good job of promoting fat loss and it just doesn't have a ton of side effects compared to steroids via long shot, and so because of that principle, the pharmaceutical aspect of the medical field is kind of starting to turn its eye of sauron towards non androgenic anabolics, which are drugs that would increase scalt and muscle like pertrop fee, but have a very few side effects, very specific targeting, and they're going to crack that. They've probably already cracked it in the lab, and it's just a matter of getting through animal trials and then human trials, and these non androgenic anabolics are going to be an unbelievable revolution for athletes and for people who just want to be more jacked, because then I suspect most people that are thinking it through will end up being on testosterone replacement therapy, So just just enough testosterume to make you feel better and be healthier, which is like a much an arrow arrange that people take for enhancement, and then the rest of your anabolic drive will come from these drugs that will have ten times fewer side effects then steroids. And I think these drugs are going to hit the gray market. I would say, if I had to guess, slash Hope, maybe twenty twenty eight or so. Kind of the real golden fleece would be an oral, small molecule, non rogenic anabolic, which means you could just take a pill, means it survives the digestion process, it doesn't screw up your liver or something, and it just grows muscle and does almost nothing else. The medical incentive and the pharmaceutical profit incentive for discovering such drugs is not only massive, but it's been well described in the literature. Because now we have older people that are using these weight loss drugs, and they're amazing for their health, but they're losing tons of muscle. And you can tell them to lift weights and eat more protein. That absolutely helps, But they're already using a drug to help them lose weight. Might as well use a drug to help them keep the muscle on. And so I think these drugs are inevitable, and I think they could do an unbelievable thing for the sport community because they're going to make people stop or curtail their use of steroids that are fucking poisonous and destroying your body and your mind and replace the most drugs that are just categorically better. I think that's coming really soon. They are likely to have probably zero psychological effects. They probably won't have any effects on cardiac tissue. It's probably not going to be much involvement with heart, there's probably going to be no involvement or minimal involvement with liver and kidneys, and probably not going to be neurodegenerative, like many steroids are in high amounts. I predict in the late twenty twenties, you leve older folks taking a combination of them most advanced weight loss drugs of the time and in combination with the most advanced or available non entergamic kindabolic charities at the time, and like over the course of like six months to a year, you'll see lots of people drop twenty to thirty pounds of fat and add ten to fifteen pounds of muscle at the same time. I mean, that's just like a total transformation, and health wise, it's just going to be a total renaissance.
Speaker 1: I'm curious about when you first heard about the Enhanced Games and what they were trying to do, and what your first impression of, you know, this whole experiment was.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it's wonderful. I was really really pleased somebody's trying to do this sort of thing, because I remember we had like a seminar class in my master's program where it was to kind of debate format, and I took the position that there should be an enhanced Olympics or a non tested Olympics and a tested Olympics. I thought it was just split into two, but I think it's At some points I was the only person in a class of like thirty people who is our being my position, and I thought I had made some pretty compelling points, at least in my own head, and so I thought it was kind of an open and shutcase that enhanced competition was not just better for the overall state of competition, but it was actually better for natural competition because you no longer had to do this pretend like so currently the Olympics is mostly pretend. We pretend that the athletes are drug free. They pretend they're drug free. The testing committee pretends it's ahead of the curve. It's almost never ahead of the curve. If you had an untested federation all the Olympics, you could just be like, look checks out, you get popped for drugs in the natural, are cheating? You get caught cheating. We have one of two things we could do. One idea is, let's say you get popped on the drug free, every single record of yours is completely stripped, and you are allowed now to compete in the enhanced version if you'd like. So it's like accounts for tests being false positives, you know, because like sometimes you fail a test, but you never really were anything like Statistically, it has to happen to sub fraction of tests. It's a low fraction, but you're testing thousands of athletes five or six every year are going to be popped for drugs and just never took. And so that's like a very nice way to do it. The other way to do it is everyone signs the contract beforehand to say, if you ever get popped for drugs in the natural, your records get stripped. You're never allowed to compete in that sport or in any sport associated Olympics ever again, enhanced or not, So just don't fucking lie and you're good to go. And so that right, there is a model that's similar to what they do in natural versus enhanced bodybuilding and powerlifting today, and the rate of drug cheating in those sports is phenomenally lower than it is at the Olympics, because if you want to take drugs, there's a place where you can do it and just compete against the best guys. And since the best guys compete in the drug version anyway, the probability that people cheat to win a local natural bodybuilding title it was just like way, way smaller. But if there was just one bodybuilding show and it had to be drug free and if national pride was on the line, then yeah, everyone would cheat like they do currently in the Olympics. So that was kind of my thought process at the time. And then when I saw that the enhance games were happening, I was like, whoa, this is cool. Someone's actually doing some version of this. So I got really good.
Speaker 1: But what do you make of the argument that USADA and WADA and other governing bodies make sports more fair?
Speaker 2: It's good argument, It's marginally true, except the margins who will be small. You know, the mistake I think a lot of people make, a very very honest mistake, is assuming that testing is a guarantee or near guarantee that people don't cheat, and it's not. It's just a certain level of effect, right. It's like if you're a super rich, famous person and you just have no security, and then you have a security apparatus in place, like you hire bodyguards. The bodyguards do not guarantee that you're not going to die. Some of them could just take a sniper shot for really far off And even if you have the Secret Service, as we clearly saw with President Trump recently, people still say shots at you. So there's no guarantee. All effects are mardrone. And I think a lot of people think like, oh, like there's testing in the Olympics, that means it's drug free. It's like no, no, no, no, no no no. That just means the probability it's drug free goes up. That there's a very big difference between more fair and totally fair, like huge difference, and I think that gets lost a little bit.
Speaker 1: Do you have any sort of concerns about what they enhanced games are going to do in terms of normalizing PD use in the future of sports.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, for sure, they could hit younger demographics and normalize PD use and give them heroes to look up to, and people don't want to run the kitchen sink, and that's definitely a thing. So again that effect is going to be marginal. An effect is highly modified by messaging. The thing is, this is nothing new. We you know, when Billy the eight year old who loves baseball finds out that, you know, a lot of talented athletes also go to strip clubs often, and some of them are very disrespectful to the opposite sex, even physical at times. Some of them drink alcohol, I know, it's crazy, and use recreational marijuana and even cocaine. You know, it's typically quite easy for mom and dad to be like now, so when older people or adults they do some adult stuff and you've got to do kids stuff. It's a great athlete, just don't look up to him for that stuff that he does outside of sport. It's hypothetically, roughly as easy to tell the kid, Look, these guys use steroids and all this crazy stuff because they're adults, and it doesn't screw up their young bodies, and that's true, like a few stereos are you're younger, it screws you up like way way worse, totally different ways too, And so I think that normalization should be put into context of it's absolutely a thing and could absolutely raise rates marginally, but an honest discussion about that this is an adult thing and an honest declaration about the system for everyone and has side effects could have an effect of both normalizing, contextualizing, and making the use less extreme. Here's another really trippy thing that happens with teenagers that I think a lot of people don't account for. When you make something forbidden and cool and you lie about it, the teens just want to do it. When you make it a technical quality that advanced athletes like compose on themselves, and you make it nuanced and you make it acceptable, but like it's gnarly, and you talk about all the side effects openly, all of a sudden, they're like, I don't any I guess I'll use that when it comes time to it, but I'm not rushing into it because it's not even like it's not forbidden. You look at like what's happened with weed since it became mostly legal in the US, and most teenagers are like someone's like, hey, do you want to do weed? My dad does weed. No, I'm fine, and you're like, right, okay. So if you normalize use of various compounds for adults, it does take the edge off, which actually could drive more responsible use potentially in some cases.
Speaker 1: Wow, is there like a general like baseline age one should be if they're curious about enhancing themselves.
Speaker 2: They are like physiological developmental landmarks. So you hit and I would say by your mid to late twenties, your brain has matured in macrostructural ways that probably steroids won't reverse or inhibit. So I'd say, like after age twenty five, I think it's a fine time to get on. Before aage twenty five, I just wouldn't do it. The other thing is, before age twenty five you are in the prime of your life physically and getting incredible gains anyway, and so might as well build a huge natural base and really milk out everything you can out of your like your natural physique, natural abilities, and then have a really fun time enhancing over the course of the next ten years. Rather than shooting your load early enhancing when you're eighteen, and then by twenty four year out of the spot, the torn pack, torn bicep, and I'd like shitload of kidney problems.
Speaker 1: How does like the current state of steroid use, how does that affect sex drive?
Speaker 2: You can have fact sex drive in a few different ways, and it depends on what you're taking, what doses, how you respond to it. And the classic, most common way is it increases sex drive. It's not just a quantity difference, it's a quality difference. The other two ways of that are common. There's a bunch of different ways that are not. One is like they reduced sex drive. So, for example, if you take some kinds of steroids that don't convert into estrogen, some of who can block estertyperversion, and if you're not replacing the testosterone, end up having a very low estrogen state. It actually turns out that a decent amount of estrogen is required for high sex drive, as if you don't have high estrogen, in fact, very low estrogen. You just like look at people's bodies and you're like, oh, she's really hot, and someone's like do you want it? And you're like, I have no desire to do anything with that. Person at all, like or you don't feel anything. It's weird. So that's the thing. And then the other one is some steroids in particular class, the nandrolones, so decaduraboland nandrolone to cannolate causes something called Decca dick, which is like a good old eighties slaying and basically means that you lose a large fraction of very rectile function and there's nothing wrong with you, it's just the chemical pathway there that the drug interacts with makes you just not have boners anymore, but you have commentanthing, really really horny because Decca like radically escalates your astronic exposure and so you just really want it. And then the time comes and you're like tada, your boys like a fucking tube sock baby, ain't none happening. And so I think some people are like, man, I can't wait to take stare it's get super high sex drive, and they run into one of those two other effects and they're like what the fuck is going on? But for the most part, yea sex drive is increased, so like the number of times you randomly drift to thinking about sex through the day can go up a lot. It can alter or broad on your range of people that you find attractive. The depth of emotion and sexual emotion in the interaction can escalate wildly. Your degree of risk taking and sexual interactions you probably should avoid goes up. It can go up if you're not like cognitively gating your decision made.
Speaker 1: Does the sex drive thing apply to women as well?
Speaker 2: From my experience, it applies more to women than it does to that. Wow, the amount of testosterone or testosterone like androgenic steroids that women typically have is like almost zero. It's like a rounding air, and then they take even really small doses it like twenty or forty axes their andron exposure right away. That huge of a difference is you gotta feel. Whereas if a guy produces normal testosteron holes naturally, then he gets some pretty decent cycle. I think maybe you're five xing in the amount that he's experiencing. At a five x versus forty, it's a very different psychological experiencing.
Speaker 1: Do you see a connection between sort of like the desire for young men to experiment with injectables right now and sort of like where the state of modern manhood is at all?
Speaker 2: My first caveat is a absolute no idea. So the following speculation. One intellectual trait that I've tried to impose on myself over the years is that double check that the phenomenon you are discussing is an extant phenomenon before you begin to discs And so when people talk about the masculinity crisis, I just I'm not sure if that's true. Is there a well defined, clearly articulated metric compared over the cohorts ten to fifteen years back in perpetuity a masculinity crisis of any kind they could withstand rigorous empirical cross checking for confounders. I don't know if that's the case. I think the vast, vast majority people that will tell you we have a mascinity crisis and be like, can you explicitly and specifically define what that means and compared to Cohort analysis from ten to fifty years ago, back back back back back like that to show like both kind of the ideology of how it's happening. And you're gonna lose them real quick because they just have like notions, like ideas that there is a masculinated crisis and it looks like this, and you go, well, actually, in the following ways, men are better than I ever been before, and are like, oh fuck, But some people on the internet are upset. I guess now, are there some people, some sub demographics, in some age groups and some races that are struggling in ways they have I haven't struggled before. Absolutely does that have anything to do with people's and embracing of steroids and stuff? And I don't know. I suspect the answer is probably not. You know, the people that are that have in masculinity crises, I don't know if they're less likely to use steroids, they are more likely to use steroids. Stereoids are like a reassertion and an enhancement of masculinity, and you've like lost touch with your masculinity. You may get a lot out of steroids to get you back in touch with it, but you're also may be way less likely to even try them because you're like, fuck, what do they need with that? You know, like a lot of your kids today they have like the broccoli haircuts and the hoodie sweatshirts, and they do like weed and xanax a lot. And you're like, do you want to like become jacked and vainye and be good at sports And I'm like, no, that's fucking lame, and you're like, right, okay, well that didn't work. So my best answer there is that I'm just not sure. I'm not sure if any connection is there whatsoever. It would be cool if there was a clean connection that it may very well be. I just would be like really reserved about being like, yes, of course, that's how it works. As TRT is a response to the masculinity crisis, and it's like, but but there is a masculinatory.
Speaker 1: But what do you make of the argument between fairness something that can help an athlete versus something that would make sports more fair?
Speaker 2: Fairness is a trip. People have fairness. They usually have a concept of what economist and philosopher Thomas Soul call a notion. So to say, idea you have in your hand is very poorly defined. If you try to explain it specifically, you usually run around and you're like, I actually, I don't even know what I'm saying. So fairness is like a vibe, you know, But like, what's fair about me playing basketball against Lebron James? What's fair about anyone playing basketball against Lebron, he was born perfect. Like, what's fair about having better genetics than someone At the end of the day, sport is a huge test of genetics. Absolutely nothing fair about that whatsoever. And so if someone has allowed to open season on enhancements, everything's fair as I use whatever you want hit. I really like that the enhanced game seems to be going in the direction of the going to monitor health, including like the day of competition, and if you don't have the right biomarkers and stuff, they just won't let you compete because they're like, you're not going to croak on fucking watch, and that's important. I think that's really good. So I think you just need to set like reasonable health parameters and then test your athlete pool to make sure they're not exceeding those, and if they are, you retire them or tell them, look, come back in six months. You're not gonna be able to compete for six months. And if you come back with better blood work, well you can bet a lot of enhancements have health trade offs. It's not just true for enhancements for example, like downhill skiing. It just doesn't take a lot of creativity to imagine how that could go wrong, and most sports themselves are not healthy for you to be doing. The number of people that die in skiing accidents makes anabolic steroids look like the safest fucking thing in the world, and so people make trade offs, and so that's kind of my perspective on that health versus what's too much but it's not enough. It's really up to the sport government body to decide, and the athletes to decide, and the fans to decide, because there's a bit of a not hypocrisy, but a bit of a contradiction a lot of people have in a sport. If you believe in any kind of modicum of freedom, any kind of philosophy that spreads out to the rest of the world, you have to believe that people that are adults own themselves. If I own myself, I should be able to do anything I want with myself that just doesn't hurt other people. So if I want to take a bunch of drugs and ski downhill and see the competition Chris is whose blood splatter can go the furthest after you hit a tree? You know what I'm saying. If that's a sport, if the payouts are good enough and then the glory is good enough. Fuck it, Mike, let's rip.
Speaker 1: Oh man, Mike, You've You've been phenomenal. You are the Goat. Thank you so much for for all of this. Superhuman is a Kaleidoscope production in partnership with iHeart Podcasts. The series is produced, reported, and co hosted by Sam Egan. The Name is Zizzi's Mental is our senior producer. Production support from Dara luck Potts, Edited by Kate Osborne, Editorial consulting by Adiza Egan, original composition by Hannis Brown, mixing by Pran Bandy, Reported and hosted by me Chris Guyamali. From Kaleidoscope, Our executive producers are Kate Osborne, Ozwa Oshan Mangeshatikador and kosisnos Julia Nutter is the head of Studio for Kaleidoscope, and from My Heart. Our executive produces our Katrina Norval and Nikki Etur. If you like what you're hearing, subscribe to the feed now so you don't miss our next drop.