Speaker 1: I miss a green, for example, I'm already upset. When I find my ball in the bunker, I'm really upset.
Speaker 2: And when I find my ball in a bride egg Friday egg, the dreaded Frida egg, Frida Egg, Frida egg Egg Frida egg, bride egg Lie, I'm.
Speaker 1: About ready to run off of thelf course game.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the Frida Egg Golf Podcast. I'm Garrett Morrison, and today we are talking about how to build a golf course affordably, and maybe more important, what's preventing people from building golf courses affordably right now? This has been a big theme in my recent conversations with architects and superintendents. It's something people in the industry are talking about a lot. How much is being spent on golf course construction and renovation, some truly eye popping numbers out there, and it's a problem because those costs get passed down to you, the golfer. So I thought it was just time to have a conversation purely focused on that theme. What is the nitty gritty of how you actually build affordable golf? And this is a question that's not just relevant for industry people, for architects and superintendents. This is something that every golfer should know at least a little about, because you pay green fees, you pay member dues. Ultimately you are funding all of this in the end. And if you're empowered with some knowledge, you can start to say things like, hey, that super expensive method of green construction or bunker construction might not be necessary for my personal enjoyment of golf, and you can start to push back on some of the things that make the game more expensive right now. So my guest for this podcast is Mike Young. Mike is a golf course architect and really one of the pioneers of modern minimalism in golf course construction. He designed the Fields golf course in Georgia in nineteen eighty six, and at that time the Fields was really different from most of the golf getting built in America. It was much more scaled down and natural, and it really predicted the direction that architects like Corn Crenshaw and Tom Doak ended up going. Mike is now the owner of the Fields and the course is still very affordable to play, so that gives him an extra special perspective on the topic of the podcast today because Not only does he know how to build affordable golf, economical golf, but he also knows the realities that owners face after a golf course gets built. So in addition to doing all of that designing the fields the fields, Mike has done design work at a number of other courses, mostly in the Southeast, but also in Central America, and currently he's working on a very exciting municipal project in Vidalia, Georgia. This course is called Warmouth Sands and the plan is for it to open this year. So we'll talk a bit about that, but mainly, I just wanted to dig into some of Mike's concerns about rising costs in the golf course industry and some of the forces that he thinks are driving those costs up beyond what they should be. I also want to talk about his vision for what should be done. How is it possible in this day and age to build everyday golf courses for everyday players, or, as he puts it, mom and pop golf courses. Really excited about this conversation. Mike is one of my favorite voices in the game, and I always get a lot out of going back and forth with him. So a word about health. And now I'm not talking about the health of the golf course industry. I'm talking about bodily personal health. Taking care of your health isn't always easy, but it should at least be simple. That's why for the last year and a half or so, I've been drinking ag one every day, no exceptions. It's just one scoop mixed in water, once a day, every day, and it makes me feel energized and nourished. That's because each serving of ag one delivers my daily dose of vitamins, minerals, pre and probiotics and more. It's a powerful healthy habit that's also powerfully simple. I like to drink ag one first thing in the morning, right before I take my kids to the bus stop. It's really easy to do it that way, It's easy to remember, it's part of my routine, and it's also recommended for optimal nutrient absorption. So I just fill up my shaker with cold water, one scoop of ag one, shake it up, and I'm pretty much ready to go. Now, if I'm on the road, which I often am, if I'm traveling seeing golf courses and I can't bring my full set up with me, then I'll just bring some AG one travel packs. These are really convenient. I know exactly how many I need to bring for each trip, it's just the number of days that I'm gone. And each one. Each travel pack is an individual serving of AG one that's super easy to mix on the go, which helps ensure that I get my daily nutrients no matter where I might be in the world. If there's one product I had to recommend to elevate your health, it's AG one and that's why we've partnered with them for so long at Frida Egg Golf. So if you want to take ownership of your health, start with AG one. Try AG one and get a free one year supply of Vitamin D three plus K two and five free AG one travel packs with your first purchase, exclusively at drinkag one dot com slash the Frida Egg. That's drink ag one dot com slash the Frida Egg. Check it out. All right, Mike Young, Welcome to the podcast. Thank you for being here.
Speaker 1: Thanks looking forward to it.
Speaker 2: So a little bit of backstory here for people. You know, we've done a couple of episodes in the past about building affordable golf courses and you sent me an email not long ago saying that you know, there's more to discuss here. There's more meat on this bone, essentially, is what you were telling me. And you said, I would like to discuss how you actually build the ten thousand dollars green or the five hundred thousand dollars irrigation system or bunkers. And I thought to myself, yes, please, let's get into that. Let's get into detail about that. So maybe we could just take this one piece at a time. Say you're building a new green on a new site. How do you do that as cheaply as possible? Can you take me through that.
Speaker 1: Let's call it not cheap, but let's call it efficient. There you go. You know, it might be that if I'm having to build a bent grass product, it might be a complete USGA green. Let me let me say one thing before I do that. Though, in this entire discussion, everything we talk about most of the time on the internet, and that's why I listened to Friday Egg and always we're talking about for practical purposes, we're talking about the top five hundred golf courses. There were five hundred and thirty million rounds played last year. If you took twenty thousand rounds for those top five hundred, that's ten million rounds. They use five hundred and twenty million rounds that are played somewhere, and those are not played on courses with one hundred and fifty dollars and above green face. It's a different product. In most cases, it's not a product where people are signing the back of the check with the people that run those things, or signed in the front of the check. They're not able to use GoF as a amenity for housing anything else. They're trying to run golf courses, and so they look for a way that allows them to make a profit, and most cases make a living because, in my opinion, most of God in this country is mom and pop. It's just that you don't it doesn't bring the attention and you don't hear of it like you do the top five hundred. So let's just forget those top five hundred today and let's talk about the rest of the five hundred and twenty million rounds that are played. And with that, if I'm building in Georgia, let's just say, in Georgia, if I'm building a green for tiff eagle grass.
Speaker 2: This is a Bermuda grass right tiff Eagle is.
Speaker 1: The ultra door permuda grass that is probably the number one being used now. And I'm in a smaller course that's that can't afford the luxuries. I'm going to go with twelve inches of river sand. I've learned the hard way not to in the cavity. In the low areas of the cavity, I try to open it up my feather the sand out into the chipping areas so that I don't have a capture any moisture or anything in those low ends. Number moodagrass is looking for moisture in the top two inches. So we just put the sand up, floated out the way we need it and build it. And that green is much more considerably cheaper than building a USGA green. Where I've got to build a cavity, I've got to make sure all the layers are parallel. I'm going through. I'm probably at fifteen dollars a square foot now, and this way i might be at three dollars now. The thing about all that is the way it gets marketed is there's a cheap ass over there building this stuff that way. But the thing is my guy's making a profit, the other guy might not be.
Speaker 2: Right, and that has to be the argument, right, how can you actually make a living owning a golf course if you spend as much as people sometimes spend. So what you're describing here with the river sand in just this very it's kind of simple method of building, but time tested. This is, as I understand it, a fairly old fashioned way of building greens, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I think if you look up until recently, Marion's green, Oakmont's greens, all of those were extremely old greens, and they were push up and you know, if you might have had a foot of top dressing from over the years, it's just pushed up. It's just sands pushed up. And I can read and listen to all the hype on the USGA green, and back when I was starting, man, you were a bad boy if you didn't build a USGA green. But there were several big boys that didn't build USGA greens, and there were several that would say they did. But if you went and measured it, there might be thirty inches of sand in one puck spot and ten inches in the other. But they had that gravel on the bottom, and they preached the USGA green. So if you're going strictly by the specifications, not the recommendation, but the specification, you have to have your layers parallel, and I think you're allowed a half inch of variation. So if you get outside at half inch of variation, did you really build a USGA green? I don't know.
Speaker 2: So, you know, when it comes to deciding whether to build a USGA green, for instance, or a green after a more old fashioned method, you know, a push up green basically made out of sand that's available. How do people go about making that decision, do you think? And why is it that they might go for the more expensive option.
Speaker 1: I think that a lot of golf courses, especially in the nineties, people say, you know, though there was a golf boom in the nineties, there wasn't a golf boom. It was people wanted to buy junk land put a golf course on it so they could sell forty houses per hole. Now you've actually got a real golf boom, but might not be as big. But they're building the golf for golf. And when they build it for golf, they're finding land that allows you to go out there and in many cases just build a green on the land that's there. When you're in a place that shouldn't have a golf course, but some dude wants to put it there so he can have his houses. You might have to build a USGA green to make it work. If you come into a sandy site, you've got plenty of sunlight, you've got ways to move the water and get it off the green. You might can put ten twelve inches of sand down there and build a hell out of it and be and have something that works. And again it goes back to your superintendent. You're a good superintendent that's going to grow that grass on concrete, so it's Bermuda grass not vin grass. Right.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean there's a couple of factors here, right. There's the quality of the land, as you say, if you're building on a swamp, then you might need to build more expensively. But if you're building on a good piece of land, as many golf courses are now that we're more focused on core golf, then you might not need the extra bells and whistles. And then the other factor, as you say, is the superintendent and what they're able to do. And it's pretty amazing what superintendents are able to do these days right.
Speaker 1: It is by far the best golf course owners are superintendents. And I've i sold one of my golf courses. I had one of the first ones I did to a guy that had worked at Augusta Nationally became the director of golf at Rentals Plantation. He called one dancing Mike. It's they start getting rid of superintendents at fifty I got to find a course. Well, it's funny the budget he had down there and the budget he created when he got his own, I would give him hell about it. It was one tenth. He says, well, hell, I know what to do on this end. But it's you know, knowing how to do it for the right price. And he knew how to do it for the right price, ground driven reels, right applications of fertilizer, how to. And that's what's funny, the really good superintendents that know how to do it for that price. And for me, my superintendent of the year is always going to be that dude that can get that three hundred thousand dollars budget looking jam up, versus the dude that's got ten ribbons and five assistants And I don't mean anything against the dude the other dude. I'm just saying there's a hell a lot to be said for that.
Speaker 2: It takes a certain confidence to say I don't need that extra stuff to help me. I as a superintendent can deal with what I'm given here on a low budget. But you understand the perspective of the superintendents who ask for the extra stuff, who asked for the USBA spack and the precision era and all that. You understand that because their jobs depend on having good grass and all that stuff gives them a little bit more room for error.
Speaker 1: Right, That's right. And that's basically what I'm saying is I can appreciate that, understand it. But if those guys have a chance to own their own golf course and they're having to pay for it, it's amazing what they can get done with their knowledge for numbers that they can't they can't do it otherwise. Like my son told him, Superintendent, that's one of the new sand based courses going, that's in going in Georgia. Now. He asked him one day, said how did you get all that poe out of that permuter grass down there? And he said, look, says you can't do what I did, said you'd be fired. And because he said, what do you mean, he said, well, I own the place. I can spray round up. You can't. And that's you know, those are the kind of things that can't. I don't blame those guys. I'm just saying that's the difference. Yeah. You know.
Speaker 2: One of my favorite stories about affordable golf getting built is that Diamond Springs in Michigan. It's a course outside of Grand Rapids. The best known architect behind it was Mike Devrees, but there were two architects behind this course. The other was named k is named Chris Shoemaker, and he was a superintendent who had previously been at another golf course in Michigan, and he was also the owner, the initial owner of Diamond Springs, and so he came in and the whole place was one cut, one fairway cut. And then you have the greens. There's single row irrigation, very simple bunkers, very simple green construction. And you look at that and say, well, if more golf courses were built like that, more golf courses would be affordable. And so you're absolutely right that superintendents know what they can do to make a place affordable. It just you know, if they're in the position of owning the course, that's when they're really going to act on that knowledge, I suppose.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you see some really good affordable golf courses owned by superintendents.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I mean to an extent including you know, your ownership of the fields. You're not a superintendent exactly, but you have been in the in the industry of constructing and growing grass for years.
Speaker 1: And my son, my son does all the agronomy and he basically his degrees in finance, and he basically got on the internet and read everything he could and talked to superintendents and he loves doing it. Right.
Speaker 2: All right, let's let's talk about bunkers. Let's go on to the next component here. How do you build bunkers to use your term with economic efficiency.
Speaker 1: Well, it's a bunker. It's like it's not a green And I can appreciate the technology and the the inventive ways that have come I'm about but I think if you throw the sand pro away and don't put a sandpro in a bunker, and put six inches of sand in a bunker, that'll drain and it won't let water come into it except verticant, except from the air, not from the edges. And you rake that bunker two or three times a week, it'll last long enough to take that sand out and put new sand in it in a few years. You might hose out your drain from the other end to make sure there's not a gopher or something in it every two or three years. But I do that. And the coolest thing I've been I've been doing it late lately, and I'm doing it in warm Mouth, is I'm side an entire bunker. I like that. I like that, And it might be we're going to see, but so far I've had no issues. I like that, But I just think that it's it's the other thing is if you try to make your golf course indigenous to the location, you you don't have the freely age, you don't have the bunker you would find in sand hills in Georgia where are clay based. In most cases were clay, and that that bunker's artificial at best, and so you're throwing sand in the cavity, So you just got to make sure nothing else goes in it, and you don't need to use that many bunkers on golf courses that you're that are affordable golf courses I'm trying to keep the budget.
Speaker 2: Then well, okay, so there are two sides of this issue that I'm curious about with bunkers. One is this technology that you talked about, the different ways of kind of building the bottom of the bunker, I suppose or they're like the structure of the bunker. You mentioned that you're using SOD right now at Warmouth Sands, and that's that's one way that maybe isn't as common anymore. The other the other aspect that I'm interested in is style, and we can address that later. But right now, you know a lot of what's available for structuring a bunker, for making sure it drains. That that has changed.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: We've got these liners now that are new and that a lot of older courses are starting to put in, and these are supposedly going to just make the bunkers better over time. So you know, what do you make and they're expensive, right, There's there's a cost that comes with putting these liners in bunkers. What do you say about that method of structuring a bunker and does it provide more assurance that the bunker is going to keep its shape or you know, be better quality over the long term. Or do you think that that's for the most part in unnecessary expenditure.
Speaker 1: I think for guys that can afford that luxury and they want to do it, I think the main two methods better billy bunker and the capillary concrete, then it's okay to do it. I think that from what I've seen, not being an expert on those two methods, but I've used. I've used the capillary concrete a few times. I don't have any problem with it. I can't afford it on my golf course and on courses where guys are saying, hey, what can we do. I'm gonna go with the grass because we can afford that. But the number one thing I think to keep a bunker working is keep enough sand in it. Every problem I've seen with these bunkers is where the sand gets so shallow. If it's capillary concrete, if it's better billy, if it's no liner, it's where some dude kept raking it in a circle with a sand pro And finally you just get down to where there's nothing but a liner and you grab the liner. One day, or you hit the gravel, or you do whatever. But if you've got a guy where he probes that sand and keeps that sand consistently at five or six inches, I think a lot of your problems go away, no matter what you've got in it. Now me as a you know, I'm a seventy one year old, grumpy, old white dude. And so much of our golf today is subsidized. And by that, I mean you'll have a guy that has the money to build a golf course that's forty million dollars golf course, and I think that's great. I think more power to it. He doesn't have to make that money back when he's just playing with it, so he can afford to do that. And if he's charging you fifteen hundred dollars a day to play golf or something like that, that's fine. He's still subsidizing you. You're not making a profit for him at that. And so much of this golf we see at those levels. You ask yourself what happens if he gets tired of it and the next guy comes along. What if somebody had to make a profit, how do they do it? And that's my whole thing, is you know, Kayser's really the only ones that have really figured this thing out as far as building this thing and making a numbers work. There's a lot of this these hotels and all. Often it's just to sell rooms and they're they're there. You build a golf course for them, and they don't know about the golf. They just want to it's an amenity to sell rooms, right.
Speaker 2: It's a lot a lost leader as they as they put it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I think when you get down to, you know, a superintendent, and this is going to sound like, oh, here's here's the seventy one year old grumpio white dude bitching at superintendent's guy comes in, tells his owner, Man, I need capillary concrete or I need this. I can save this. I can save you this many dollars over the next five years. Well, okay, maybe you can, but but you're starting off putting three hundred thousand dollars in the bunkers. And for example, of course I did in a town on the coast in Georgia. I find out they're putting capillary concrete in the bunkers. They went to the show, saw the capillary concrete, and the parks and rec directions, Oh, let's do this. Didn't ask anything about it. He just had somebody to come in put the concrete in there. It's it's not a good, very good product, but not everybody can afford those things. And that's alid, isn't I don't know that I make my money back on any of that. I want to be cash flowing each year. I don't want to be dreaming about how much I'm going to save over the next five years. Cash flows the game, it's a mom and golf in the United States is mom and pop for five hundred million rounds, and mom and pop know how to do.
Speaker 2: It, and you know, a lot of this it seems to me comes down to anxiety about the future. I guess because if you're if you're an affordable municipal course, you don't have capillary concrete or better billy, and somebody comes to you and says your bunkers are under threat because they don't have this product. It takes a little bit of knowledge and a little bit of guts to say, you know what, actually, I think I think our bunkers are fine. Is that just the point that people have to get to where they say I'm confident that I can keep these bunkers hanging together with the construction that they have.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I think that's a personality deal. I think it's ay, we can be x rated for a second, right sure. Like it's like it's sometimes it's a wiener measuring contests and and the you know, the course down the street. It just got better, billy or whatever. So I'm going to do it. And it's it's not when you the old method. If if a guy gives you a budget and you don't spend all the budget, then then next year all you're going to get is what you spent this year. I think that's very true with a lot of places, and superintendents know that. So for a lot of superintendents, in order to in order to progress and move forward and get better jobs and all the object is to get the best budget and give it the best product you can give it. I have no problem with that, no problem with anybody doing that. But when it comes to making a profit, when it comes to working for mom and pop, there's a lot of superintendents that can make pretty good money on an incentive basis working for these small families. Knowing when to call bullshit, and that's does that. I hope that doesn't offend anybody, but it's I appreciate the guy at the two and a half million dollar budget course and the same guy to quarter million dollar budget course.
Speaker 2: I don't think it offends anybody. I think everybody can relate with this where they hear about some new, great product and they think, wait a minute, do I need that? Is that actually going to save me money in the long run? And at some point you just got to have the confidence of saying, this is an expenditure that I'm not necessarily going to make it back. It's going to cost me a lot right now, and I don't think it's going to save me that much in the long run. So that's an interesting issue. And I mean, obviously this is also site specific. I'm sure that some sites are are you know, demand more of this kind of technology.
Speaker 1: Oh, it's very, very very site specific. It it's very siche specific specific.
Speaker 2: Let's get into irrigation systems, all right. So we've talked about greens, We've talked about bunkers. Irrigation systems are a big issue right now when it comes to the costs of golf construction. I think a big factor is that a lot of the irrigation contractors are booked out to you know, twenty forty five or whatever, and so supply and demand is all out of whack and a whack, and it just it just causes the situation where the irrigation contractors can kind of charge what they want to charge. So would you say it's even possible at this moment to do irrigation on a budget.
Speaker 1: Oh, it's possible, but you need to know how to do that. I mean today I went to buy some six inch PBC putt. It was twelve dollars and twenty five cents of foot. That's two hundred and fifty dollars for a twenty foot piece of pipe. PVC is now higher than HDPE, and the HDPE product is a really good product for putting in irrigation.
Speaker 2: Can you tell me what these things are, Give me some context for what you're talking about here.
Speaker 1: PVC is polyvil chloride pipe that we've always used, has a bell housing on it. You slip it together in twenty foot links put the system together. The HDPE is a thick walled, high density poly ethylene pipe. You can pull it in the ground with a vibratory plow. Some of them pull in the four inch and the six inch so you can weld it all together. You don't have to slip it together and put it in a ditch like that. You can weld it all together, pull it down a fairway. You can pop a saddle on wherever you need it, put the swing joints in, put the heads in. But it doesn't have a free style cycle like PVC. You don't have to have a frost line on it. It can bend, you don't have to drain it, it can expand there's so much you can do with it, and so but it's always been more expensive up until recently, and now PBC's gotten where it's more expensive than that pipe. But irrigation is a very frustrating thing for those of us that have that. Try to build a four and a half to six million dollar golf course, and mean, I mean new right now, and you know that you can still easily do that, but there's things like this past year, pump stations were one hundred and eighty two hundred thousand dollars. I was looking for one. I couldn't wait a year. I called them pump station. I got an irrigation guy up in Wisconsin. I said, man, I need to find a good pump station that's out there. And he said, well, you know, Blue Mound just got a new one. I've got one that's seven years old or something. Said, I think you can get it for ten thousand dollars. Okay, So we take the ten thousand dollars station, we put thirty thousand dollars into it, and it's a it's a very good pump station. Those kind of things are out there. There's there's several goth superintendents that have gotten innovative. There's one guy in Florida who Jeff Cooors his name. I mean, I can give him that, I guess, and Jeff will go out to Arizona or wherever, and some of these places that have the jack will be changing heads and all every few years, and he'll take all that and buy that stuff. And I can call Jeff and buy a controller that's rebuilt for maybe a thousand bucks where it might be eight or nine thousand dollars new. I can say, hey, I need some heads that are this type of Toro head or this type of hunter head or this kind of Yeah, I've got those. I just I've just rebuilt these and put new soloonoids in them, and I'll buy them for one third of what they cost me. And so somebody in one of those meanies right now saying that son of a bitch is on the air saying about you stuff. Well, for most of us does. Five hundred and twenty million rounds are played on courses that cannot afford to buy what's being offered to them in the market today. That's no different than if nobody was offering a camera or a Honda or a Nissan, whatever you call the comparable cars in those lenses, and everybody was having to drive a Mercedes. You so many of these courses have to find another product and they can't buy that. They can't make it work. And that's what you're saying. That irrigation system. You just have to say, Hey, you know what, I'm fine with center line irrigation. I'm fine with in and out heads. I mean, just heads that are in or full circle heads on my greens. Those I can live with that. You figure those things out and you make it work. I mean at the fields, everybody likes our firm and fast conditions. They don't understand is I hadn't we had water fairways in six years, so it's like we let we let terrain do it. So you know, we water at greens and teas and if we had the water fairways, I don't know that all the heads work. So it's it's not that we're giving them an inferior product. It's just that that's what we do for our price range and it works, right.
Speaker 2: I mean, there's there's a few different domains of cost. I guess when it comes to irrigation. There's the equipment, which you're talking about, where there is kind of this maybe secondhand market, black market or whatever you want to call it. You have to know people in order to in order to find stuff. So there's the equipment side of it. Then there's the then there's labor. The labor side of it. Right there are irrigation contractors out there right now. They can charge a lot because they're very busy. What does it take for a mom and pop golf course to be able to kind of handle its irrigation little bit more in house? What kind of skill set do you need in order to do that?
Speaker 1: Well? If a guy's got a good Mini X and got a superintendent that's been around for a while you can. You can keep an irrigation system up and running, and mainly you're just trying to put water on your greens and your teas, and you fairways when you need it, and you've got to have some basic skill sets. But it's just it's nothing that the average superintendent doesn't have. It's just it's just whether or not you have to do it or not you take I say all the time, if a guy a million dollar cost, whether it's irrigation or whatnot at a club with five hundred members, is really a two thousand dollars cost because they divide that by five hundred. If it's one owner, that's a million dollar cost. And that's that's what people don't see sometimes, so they think they're playing golf for their dews or whatnot. But they just got tossess two million dollars. They just got assess a couple thousand bucks igation system. All of those things are either divided out by a membership or they paid for by an owner who has to turn around make a profit. And I think that the average golfer, if it's green and he likes it and the grains are good, he doesn't know what kind of irrigation system you have, and it's it's to get a little scientific on you. So many people now they like the window the water window, and a water window is basically this. It's where if a superintendent says I can water my entire golf course in four hours, and I say, well, it takes me nine hours. Well, here's the deal. Let's say you have five hundred heads, and let's say those heads use fifty gallons a minute, and you want a water in ten minute cycle. So you say, okay, I've got a pump station over here. That's a thousand gallon pump station, and I run that at eighty percent, so I can throw out eight hundred gallons a minute. So I divide that fifty and eight hundred, and I get what sixteen heads that I can water at one time. So I divide that sixteen in ten minute cycles. That's gonna give me six cycles every hour. So that's ninety six heads an hour. Right, So at ninety six heads an hour, if I had five hundred heads in five and a half hours, I could water the golf course. I've got a thousand heads that take me eleven hours. Well, for most of us, it doesn't matter but if you get into some of these bigger places that you don't want the irrigation going while they're playing golf or something like that, they've got to have a bigger pump station. They've got to have the capacity to throw this thing out in four hours. We don't, and I think most mom and pumps. You look at these new pump stations. A lot of guys out there just got one pump coming up out of the ground and they're watering the golf course. And you can go over here and go to the superintendent show and get a pumps is big time. That's a quarter million bucks somebody had buying them, But it's not the five hundred and twenty million rounds. All right.
Speaker 2: Hey, I wanted to take a quick break here to talk about Club TFE. CLUBTF is Frida Egg Golf's membership. Just go to the Frida Egg dot com slash membership and you can see everything that we're offering through CLUBTFE. So a couple of things that we've been up to lately in CLUBTF As far as our exclusive content goes, there's a recent edition of our weekly Featured Design Notebook where I have an in depth interview with a superintendent and a GM at Grable, which is planning to open up later this year. So the big thing that happened to Grabil recently is that they almost got absolutely nailed by a wildfire. Wildfires are pretty common in the Nebraska sand hills where Gray Bowl is located, and it was a scary situation that the fire was approaching. It was basically on the property, and the people there, including Superintendent Michael Sheeley and a couple of his employees, decided to just make a stand, decided to try to fight the fire, and it is really an amazing story. Thankfully, nobody was hurt, so we can talk about it as a happy story, but the account of it that I got from Michael Sheeley as well as the GM of the facility, Tyler Hadden, was just super compelling and that is a big part of the most recent edition of Design Notebooks. So that's just an example of the kind of content you get in Club TFE. Club TF is so important to Friday Golf. It really allows us to do the kind of in depth content that we love to do that we think our audience likes from us, and that's why we have this subscription there's a lot of other things that go with Club TFE. You have access to exclusive Club TFE member events, you have early access to registration for all Frida Egg golf events and things like that, ongoing discounting, the pro shop, yearly member gift, all sorts of perks like that. So if you're interested, go to the Frida egg dot com slash membership and join us in the club. All right, So we have talked about greens, We've talked about bunkers, touched on irrigation. Are there any other big cost factors we haven't discussed yet that you think we should we should get into.
Speaker 1: You know, well, the grassing right now is a pretty big deal. It's always said in the South and been said for years that people maintain bent grass, but they grow bermuda grass because in the summertime you can't grow it. You have to maintain it. And a lot of good superintendents go crazy trying to do that down there. And so in the fairways, we've gotten to where people they're putting down tiff grand this year, they're putting down to home of thirty one or something. The next year, they're putting down tiff tough. This year at the end of the day, if I go to Scotland or somewhere to play golf, they don't know what a mono stand is. And basically a monostand is one grass. Everything else sprayed out. Americans love that monostan stuff. Well, give me like a four to nineteen permuta grass in the south and let me cut it down to a half inch. And when I cut it, I'm gonna kill half the I'm gonna cut kill most of the weeds. You'll never know the difference. And there could be three different grasses in there, and most people are gonna go play golf and not know the difference. But we have gotten so complicated with some of this stuff that we are spending so much money on some of these grasses. And it's when I first started. We spread everything except for around the greens and the bunker faces. Now they sot an entire golf course. You know, I was looking at sod on a project today and it was dollars and ten cents a foot installed and buy carpet for that, I mean, I buy cheap carpet.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, it has become sort of a radical idea, even to to sprig a golf course, it's not really something that people do anymore because, as I understand it, it just takes a little bit longer, right, and it's a little bit less reliable. You know, when you're when you saw the whole thing, you know when it's going to be ready a little bit better you.
Speaker 1: Do, and you might not have the you know, that's where they say, you all, you're going to save this much on erosion and all this odd You might, but what if you don't have the money to do it? It just I mean, how long did it take the old old dead guys. Some of the courses took two years, three years to get ready to play, right, and.
Speaker 2: And they sometimes weren't very good when they were supposed to or they or they weren't completely grassed when they were supposed to open. Sometimes it took like a decade for those courses to come together.
Speaker 1: That's right, and it's it's I know a prominent superintendent in Atlanta that a few years ago, I remember a guy telling me and I put down some of the first tiff eagle on a golf course in Natchez, Mississippi in nineteen ninety eight or ninety seven, and the guy with the USGA told me. He said, Mike said, this is one of the first products that's going to go from the bottom up. And I said, what are you talking about. He said, well, most products in golf, they start out at the elite clubs, and people find out about them and bring them back to their clubs, and they work their way down through the business, you know, and get down to the bottom of the clubs. He said, but these new Ultra Dwarf permuter grasses, you can lay these things on a green without doing anything. Spray them out, femigate them, put the grass no till method. You just lay it on the green that's there, and eight weeks later you've got a new surface and you're playing. And he said that's people think that's cheap and they would never do it at their elite club. But he said, that's the way it's going to go. It's starting down here. And that turned out to be true, and it's where so many clubs in Atlanta now are Ultra Dwarf. And one of the guys that is a very good bent Grass superintendent converted to Ultra Dwarf and he told his members said, okay, I'm only going to be now in five or six weeks, and they said, what do you mean. He said, well, I'm going to put the grass on the greens. He said, when I open them back up in five or six weeks, you're not going to hurt anything. But you're going to be putting on grass it's a quarter inch high, he said, So you can go play golf. The greens aren't perfect, but it hasn't it hasn't hurt you, and in ten weeks they'll be ready. But but you're only going to have to quit playing for four or five weeks. And so there's just how you think about it. It's just everybody's different with that stuff.
Speaker 2: So, as I understand it, your concern with a lot of this stuff is not necessarcessarily the high end courses are doing what they're doing. You're saying, go ahead, do your high end stuff. It's more that it's become harder to build affordable courses and to run mom and pop golf courses. So what do you think are some of the main forces in the golf industry right now that are preventing people from building golf courses affordably and maintaining them economically.
Speaker 1: First off, I think really all these guys that are jacking it up are really good for mom and pop courses because we've got an excuse. And if you can buy a mom and pop course, right, it's a lot better deal for most people than going out and building one. The problem is people that just want to get in golf don't know what they're doing, and they hire a lot of people that want to jack it around and tell them they've got to have this and this and this, and they borrow the money and then they got a problem. I respect most of all the architects. There's only a couple of knuckleheads, and I have the utmost respect for those that determine to decide their career is going to be building the elite courses. That's a you have to admire those guys. That's a hard road. You're gone, you have to commit to it at early age. You have to get out there. You can't do with your family, you can't do any of that. So we're power to them. But it's sort of like, you know, you ever get on a magazine and see who the top ten plastic surgeons in the world are. When you open up page and it says, here's the top ten plastic surgeons. I think sometimes we get to where the goth architecture worlds that way. I think there's all over the country. I think there's some pretty good architects that people don't know about. But the average country club member only knows what he's been fed. And so he walks in and he says, I got to have this or I got to have that. He's not even going to consider talking to anyone that's not here. And when he does that, it's not a question of can the other guy build that or something. It's a question of, here's what my budget's going to be. I remember not that long ago when guys like Nicholas and Fasia were like, well, look I don't build anything for less than this, I need this much budget. That's fine, they can get that, but it doesn't mean that you can't build a product that works. And so it's a totally different outlook from people when they're dealing with the average architect in America versus the ten guys that everybody knows about, or the five guys everybody knows about. It is that if one of the grains has got too much slope on it they can't put then you're no good and they never want to use you again. If I'm one of the top dudes, then it's like, hey, will you come back and fix this? And it's two different things, so you got to be careful in those ways. The problem is so many people just don't want to build the affordable course. They don't know. It's not the architects that don't want to build it. I mean, it's like it's it's it's that these clubs and all are being bsd into spending money that just doesn't need to be spent. And you see it every day. And I've had to learn the hard way just to get it out of my mind and let don't let it worry me. I want to I want to go play golf or something. I'm not going to worry about it anymorening. But it's you see it and you say, how did you come up with that? And it's and and then you realize, hey, I got sold. And that's that's what's happening, is is the industry ends up it it knows where it can sell itself.
Speaker 2: Well, So where do you think the movement will come from to push back against this jacking up of the costs at golf courses? And the jacking up of green fees that happens as a result. Who needs to push back primarily? And what do they what do they need to do?
Speaker 1: Well? I think I don't know your age exactly, but I think your age group. When I see the little millennial dude coming through my place with his leather bag and his dog and those true golf shoes on, you know, he he's uh, he's fine, He's gonna push it back. He's not into having the widescreen TV over the urinal or anything, and he can. I just think that generation might do it. They're not into the what I call the edges. They want to go so many clubs, the money they spend on the edges, you know, fairway and flower beds, all that stuff. And these younger guys they understand that and they get it and they would rather go out. They're not after perfect conditions. And that's a battle that nobody's gonna win, because we're gonna continue, and we're gonna continue, and we're gonna take it, and they're gonna roll the ball back, and some clown's gonna come along and cut his fairways down to three sixteenth of then and everything they roll back is going to roll right back out there. So I think I think it's an age thing. I think that group appreciates golf in a different way than my age appreciated GoF For so many of my buddies, it was a had to be at the club thing, wanted to They married these Stepford wife type ladies that want to be at the club. It was wan it was a social thing. These guys, it's social, but they actually like playing golf. I don't think a lot of the guys my age played really loved the sport that much. You had some, but you had a lot of them that felt they needed to do it for business. Your group doesn't seem to care.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, it's funny like and it's it's understandable. I don't want to put a value judgment on how different generations approach golf at all, or say that say that the way that you know, millennials or my generation approaches that is better necessarily, but it's just different. I think that it's not as important for business or social life life anymore. No, it used to be. It used to be the center of a certain social class's social life, and it used to be extremely important for certain kinds of businesses. I don't think it's that way anymore. And so the people who get into golf are into it because they want to play golf. They're they're into the game.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: The thing that is, the thing that I find weird about this whole deal is that it does seem like there's a market for affordable core golf experiences where the edges are roughed up a little bit, the course blends into its environment nicely. Things don't have to be perfect, you don't need a lot of amenities at the facility. I think there's a market for that, an audience for that, but it seems like the it seems like the supply of those places is low. And so I know that, you know, you can't possibly have the definitive answer to this question, since it's an unanswerable question, But how do we get to a place where the golf course industry is supplying more of those experiences for the people who seem to want them.
Speaker 1: I've thought about that. I think that you if everybody that goes into my business, the architecture business, is looking for the glamour and wants to get one of the top one hundred, that's a hard road, but there's plenty of money to be made if they will just be like the top builder in your town, I don't know his name. For houses, you don't know the name of the top builder in my town. The same thing goes for golf courses in certain regions. You don't know who they are, but just go build them and don't You've got to have a personality where when the dude comes in and tells everybody you don't know what you're doing because you didn't do it this way or that way. You've got to just be able to roll with it. Because if your owners are happy and they understand why you did things a certain way, and they're they're making money, then you're fine. And I think a lot of young guys haven't gotten to that point. You know, they haven't figured that out yet, but I think they will. You know, you've got to be able to call bullshit. It's almost like an underground market. I mean, the mom and pop golf course just doesn't tell everybody how they do it. Once you get in that market, you can do okay in that market. And uh, those guys are they can they know how to call bullshit and and your age group is figuring that out well.
Speaker 2: As as tricky as it is to build affordable golf, to run affordable golf, you were, you are doing it right now. You have a new project that I'm very interested in in Vidalia, Georgia, of sweet Onion fame. So there's a municipal golf course going in in this in this town, and you are the architect behind it. Could you just give me the baby six of what this project is all about.
Speaker 1: I've built i think four municipal courses in Georgia and a few others around the southeast. And the mayor called one day. The guy had me come in there and look at his course that he was closing. I wanted to know what to do with it. And mayor called and he said, what do you think we could do with that course? And we looked at it and played with it for a month or two, and I said, Mayor, I said, look, by the time you get through with all this, you'd be much better off to go over to the airport where you've got six hundred acres of basically sandland and build your own golf course. He said, that's what I want to hear. That's what I want to do. And then he came to tell me that they had been watching o'hoopie and that their fuel at the airport had just jumped because all the G four's and the Challenger six fiftieses everything that were coming in there. And you know, you go over to the airport afternoon, you got kid rock any logging sitting there, Eli and Peyton, all these guys sitting there waiting on their planes.
Speaker 2: So this is this is, by the way, a Hoopie match club, private destination golf club that is about twenty minutes from Vidalia, or.
Speaker 1: So fifteen twenty minutes, it's right. But all the planes land there.
Speaker 2: Did all the planes go into Videlia. And that's and this membership is high flying kind of kind of folks. That's that's what this golf club is like.
Speaker 1: But it's a lot of young guys that have made their money early. It's it's you know, it's a lot of guys that I don't know how the membership works there, but I know the guys that come to play are guys that you just see so many guys coming in there. So the Mayor's like, you know what, this is an economic engine, and he says I want to build this golf course as an economic engine from this area because I never understood what the sand could do to golf or what sand was to golf, and I had explained that to it and the demand that sold the land for a hoop. He had sold all of his onion farms to Bill Gates family farms. Bill Gates wanted the water. He wanted to aquifer this down under there, and he was big and Vadia and they had helped him out. But anyway, they were raised all the money and we started building a golf course. And we started to clear over a year ago. And then the highway US Highway won was being built to Miami and there was a bypass and some of the land that was being donated for the course was on the highway and on and the highway bid didn't didn't let when they think it thought it would, so everything got postponed. We had to adjust some of the holes out and go to the wetland committee, go to so we went through everything and then we cleared and grub it. Grubbed it last month and we started shaping a month ago. So we're we're building it again now and it's a it'll be. It won't be a long CA course. It'll be probably sixty seven sixty six sixty seven hundred. I'm going to keep less than fifteen bunkers on it, and it'll be a good municipal golf course. It's you know, the new thing is to get into the simulators on the range and get more of a fire pit hang out place where people can come out and do the top golf experience in the evenings, that kind of stuff. So we're doing that at the clubhouse. They've they've got a lot of that going. But it's it's it's interesting what what one guy coming in and building a course that nobody would ever expect to be built there could do as far as growing golf in that area and how people have picked up on it and are behind it, and that town now said, you know, they understand they've got sand there and so that that's what that's what we've got and that's what we're doing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it sounds and looks like a really fun project. What are some of the ways that you're keeping costs under control there? Like, you know, when you're thinking this through as an architect approaching building an affordable golf course, I already heard you mentioned the number of bunkers, which is low for you know, an eighteen hole golf course, and that's perhaps one way that you do it. How do you think through building affordably from the very beginning.
Speaker 1: The city about the irrigation system, and then we'll bid it out to irrigation contractors and negotiate a price on having that done. We've got to have some cart path. I don't I'm not a big cart path fan, and I don't think most people are, so our cart path is going to be mainly teasing greens. I don't want to use concrete or asphalts. You know some of the guys, Oh, you've got to use concrete and asphalt, like if we can find a crusher of a shell or something that works. So we're still playing with that. The committee is very open to that. It's it's a state of the art irrigation system that we've got at the right price. We bit it out and got everything at the right price, and it'll it'll be it'll be me and bucks, and that's that's pretty good. Today. We're gonna mow it at one height to cut. We'll mow it with the gang Wars it's it's interesting to interview superintendents and and you know you've got one that gets it when he's been at a prominent club and you're like, okay, dude, what the hell are you doing here? And he's like, well, I grew up twenty miles from here, I've been there, I've seen that I know how to do what you're talking about doing. I'm like, you know what you're giving up. I mean, you're you're on the climb. Do you want to come back and do this? And those are the kind of guys. You find your guy like that that can actually be the superintendent and run the place, be over the golf pro and the whole deal, and you you're on your way. And so I hope we've found on one but just a country public golf course that the numbers will be watched and it's got a lot of people behind it.
Speaker 2: And then what are the plans for opening right now? I know things shifted around because of the highway and that kind of stuff, but when when do you plan to be open?
Speaker 1: I'm hoping we can open in October, but if we do, it won't be ultimate conditions, but it would be where we could get it open greens would be fine, but I don't know that the fairways at all be the way I want them, So probably late in May, early June.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm looking forward to seeing it. I think I think it does sound like a really cool project.
Speaker 1: And you got to come to the fields. You got to come down eat a pig at the fields.
Speaker 2: I do need to. I'm going to be out in the Southeast fairly soon, like a lot of like a lot of people in the golf media industry.
Speaker 1: If you're down that way, I'll get mister Bob Crosby, who wants to meet you, and we'll do something. You know.
Speaker 2: It's funny. Bob and I have never met in person, but we are pretty good for ends because of all of our conversations over the years on the podcast and off. One of my favorite people in golf. So as are you, Mike. Thank you so much for being on the podcast. Really enjoy always talking to you and we'll have to have you back again soon.
Speaker 1: Well that was fun.
Speaker 2: This episode of the Friday Golf Podcast was produced by Matt Rusius. Thank you, Matt. A quick thing that you can do to support the fridayg Golf podcast is to go to wherever you're listening to us and leave a rating, or if there's an opportunity, leave a review. Tell us how we're doing. That's it, Thank you so much for listening, and we'll be back again soon