Speaker 1: Look, may oh, I see you my own look over there is that culture. Yes, Goodness loves culture, ding Dum loves Cultureesa's calling. How do you feel when we're in this setup doing it. I feel like we're recording this on a Monday, and it's way PM for me on the West Coast, and I feel like this was always when we recorded it during the pandemic. So it's a little sentiment for me in a way that's.
Speaker 2: Like a little smoky. What's coming up? What is surfacing?
Speaker 1: I don't know. I'm just like that was a vibe when we were recording it like that era, the pandemic. Lost Culture recordings were a different moment in last culture history.
Speaker 2: For those of y'all that are endeavoring for whatever reason to go back and listen all the way through. First of all, we commend you and applaud you. I can't imagine that is mentally medically advisable. No, but I hope that those episodes don't feel too capsuley in the moment, But of course they are, because like what else would they be. I do feel like every now and then throughout the year we have these zoom episodes. I mean, what feels different about it this time. But it's it's.
Speaker 1: Literally at the end of day. It's it's literally like the I'm looking outside and in the darkness is descended and I'm sitting there. You know what, Really this comes back to again, it's I'm sitting in this same room, yep, that I've been in since February twenty twenty in LA and must leave.
Speaker 2: That sounds like a u problem.
Speaker 1: It's oh, it's a major problem. And everything I'm bringing here especially and here's the thing is, it's like, I've been so excited to record all day because when you talk about culture catchups, you hope you can recap some culture that's as good as the stuff we've gotten in the last even twenty four hours, even twenty four hours, but for us the last seventy two hours of course, ninety six even ninety six.
Speaker 2: But how's this for a throwback? You want to talk throwback? Yeah, we're gonna be talking about the Grammys, yep. Say say this part, which was the topic of conversation for the first ever episode of Lost Culture restas.
Speaker 1: And that's why it saddens us to say this is the last episode. Culture is just kidding you absolute freaks.
Speaker 2: The Kyles came in and stormed the castle and ruined it.
Speaker 1: All were throwing themselves onto the freeway. Jesays, geez, sorry guys.
Speaker 2: Death to all of them.
Speaker 1: Jesus ten and two everyone or twelve and the hand on your hip if you like me driving on the roads, because we're cruising into culch. The Grammys were last night. We were in Vegas this weekend, and Lady Gaga has hit us with it hard. Sorry, Billy, Wow, the colch lately, Bo, the coach lately, Bo, the.
Speaker 2: Cult Lately, Matt. Can we outline chart the course of how we want to discuss this brought up Billy. We can talk about snubs, which there were. There's always a few, even for a night that I thought was as great as it was last night. It's just it's so rare that it's Grammys and we're happy.
Speaker 1: Can we say, best Grammys in our lifetime? Maybe since ninety nine? Maybe I don't know, best Grammys in our recent lifetime for sure. I mean this was fun from the beginning. Oh you know, it moved. I loved the winners. I have little qualms here and there, but the wealth was being spread. I think we got some moments that were kind of live TV unforgettable. Every like that entire Let's start here that entire Best New Artist section loved that was a great TV moment. Dochi's performance, How about that.
Speaker 2: Katish into denials of river, phenomenal conveyor belt, ripping the Tom Brown off, all of it. I mean, just her fucking being held in the splits. The training this girl has. Yeah, I think I showed you when Crazy first came out. This My first exposure to Doti was a couple of year years ago, this video called Crazy Love.
Speaker 1: This video, this video went really hard.
Speaker 2: Kind of reminds me of Aberka Dabra, which we will get to. Don't you worry freak, Don't you worry freak? I don't know this is she is first of all historic Grammy win. But she sees that energy and god, I mean this is this is so gratifying for her where it's the sobriety journey that she's been on. This album is about that journey and for it to be held up in that way is so cool to see. What an inspiration. We love Doci in this house, the only girl that Azalia is afraid of now. Oh, because Azielia tried it with her and dot you is like, please don't do this, you will regret it.
Speaker 1: This girl is a bazooka on stage. I mean it is everything at ten top quality. I mean the precision, the vision, the just degree of difficulty that she's doing things at and it for it to look this easy. This is exactly what excellence is. I thought there was a second there after that performance, and you know, when she had won Best Rap Album and I had thought this when you know her new stuff was coming out a little early, right in the voting period, she had that insane performance on I believe it was Colbert. Colbert h Yeah, I was like, this girl could take Best New Artists. And let's not forget Tiny Dusk. Absolutely, Oh the Tiny Desk was crazy. The Tiny Dusk was out of this world. But she is somebody that is gonna be talked about the rest of her life. If she wants and plays it right, she's forever. That's a really big, bright superstar.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we love Doughci to go back to the Best New Artist Block loved it. I mean really stacked.
Speaker 1: Ear Ray Ray.
Speaker 2: I think is if anyone besides Billy has a snub narrative around her, I think it's Ray, but it's purely because and I think this is maybe a thing that we can talk about in terms of indie artists, Like Ray does not have the same things at our disposal that the other nominees and Best New Artists didn't necessarily, Like the reason maybe that she is still being known is because she's working with what she has and we need to give her more because she is such a talent.
Speaker 1: Yeah, my god.
Speaker 2: Because between Ray and I think, and I want to say Clara, like, these are the indie girls and the indie artists that like was like the last little crack in the in the China for me where it's like, oh, this is the thing that we can look at in the future maybe where it's like, let's give indie artists a little bit more of an apparatus to succeed in this space.
Speaker 1: The way that Ray opens up her vocal when she's build thing like because it's so dexterous and it's so cool, and it's her albums are like and her music is like a Rubik's cube to me sometimes where I'm like I do sometimes I wish you're just were a little bit more streamlined.
Speaker 2: It's slippery it's slippery.
Speaker 1: But my thing is like watching her and I got to see her at Coachella two last year and live, she's crazy. Like watching her perform is almost more interesting the way that it's had that because cause you get to the experience of watching it live and really sitting in it. Like I think one of my favorite songs for her and don't read me for this is black Mescara, just because it is a little bit more straight forward, but sure, I'm so blown away with how dynamic she is. And my favorite part of her voice is when she's belting. I mean, she's got the healthiest belt in that room. I think, well, that's that's what. You can't say that because Cynthia Rivo is maybe the best singer in the world.
Speaker 2: You and I had said this and then I obnoxiously I'm going to say this to reader's Kath' Publicis finalist Kyle's. I did text her while she was singing, and I said, I think you are unequivocally one of the best vocalists of all time.
Speaker 1: Everything about that performance with that one was crazy, crazy the amount of people that went up there and just completely demolished and created a feeling of euphoria in that room.
Speaker 2: Yes, it was an entrancing night. Yeah, we were all enthralled. We were in a literal thrall. We were going crazy watching the TV together. It was a moment after moment I got my life watching all of it.
Speaker 1: My experience, like I think, reached you remember that moment. This is also an a Worshow moment. It was actually number one on the top two hundred moment of culture. That feeling of adult deseime happening and you just feel a pure euphoria in your chest watching one of these shows. I had that like three times. I had that. When Chapel performed at the end, when she's belting her tits off while they're running the choreo of everyone running on stage, I was up out of my share, screaming, throwing hands when the entire crowd it has to feel awful, bea drake. When the entire crowd said, am that that was so crazy?
Speaker 2: That's the industry being on one side of that beef in the craziest, most cruel but perhaps justified way.
Speaker 1: It really is over huh like that that's wild. It's hard to I would imagine it's hard to feel good or be able to come back to a good place anytime soon after that one. And then the third moment I had was I guess a time. Maybe it's one moment that feels like two moments. It feels like one rather is Beyonce's country album Win Reaction and then Album of the Year, which one of our long national nightmares is over at least Beyonce's an album of that.
Speaker 2: You're Winner. Do you have a vessel of for a beverage in front of you?
Speaker 1: You know what.
Speaker 2: Engineer moo is joining is raising the glass? Okay? This is four self titled for four yeah, four lend. It's for I Am Sasha Fair, It's for I Am Sasha Fears. It's for renaissance, of course, renaissance. And let's even say b DA, let's even say dangerously in love.
Speaker 1: Let's say it's all. It's the full discography. This goes out to the writings on the wall. The writing has been on the wall. This goes out to Survivor. This is twenty five years in the making Beyonce Album of the Year Winner, and it feels good and it was when the world needed it the most.
Speaker 2: Cheers. We'll see you at the Rodeo Chitlin Circuit tour last night was this crazy reminder to me, I guess. I mean, unless some people have this tidbit at the back of their head, I'm like, oh my god, not since the Miseducation of Lauren Hill.
Speaker 1: It's just like it's not even about just like her not deserving it. It's about like, it's about so much more. You could just tell everyone in the room was feeling, not even just a wrong being righted, but just like that is the person that is the bar for everyone in the room, and she should be up there at the at the finale of that evening. M Finally, and the way that she was genuinely surprised about country album. You knew that was a that was a meme coming like the asteroid and don't look up. It was headed our way. And I've seen so many great artists online do things with that, and great meaning artistry happening from these Grammys. I have to say, lots of visuals. We have a very visual pop star crowd right now. They're they're giving us a lot to look at. Yeah, it feels nice. M hmm.
Speaker 2: I do want to shout out the heroes and as they call themselves heroes who were the firefighters, and especially Miss Mama who weeks ago was engulfed in flames, saving lives, rest, you know, trying to put out these fires.
Speaker 1: Was this the one who actually said the name of the album?
Speaker 2: She said the name of the album, but she she was giving me something close to an adel Deza moment. Yeah, because she with her full chest and conviction, a hero, a hero hiro. I clapped in my room alone when she so confidently.
Speaker 1: Said this was the moment we were waiting for.
Speaker 2: At the end of this huge, touching, amazing culmination of the night which was to help rebuild La after these fires. They passed it on to her and she goes and she's about to roll out the nominees. Go to that package. She goes, and now the nominee, nominee for album of the year. And I said, Miss Mama, the nominee for album of the year.
Speaker 1: Because she knew only one really mattered. It's that and then the only one would ultimately be the winner. And that's something that she was thinking about that we weren't are there even nominees when one's gonna win? Think about that.
Speaker 2: Think about that? And she opens up that envelope, she gasps, holds it to her chest, holds it to her chest, then says the words cardboard cut, cowboy carter, cardboard carter carboock cowboy carter.
Speaker 1: This wi woman had not corrected. I wish we had gotten cardboard counter, carbockkouder cardboard counter. Title of that cardboard counter, cardboard counter.
Speaker 2: That is the title that I'm not being I'm not being facetious here. She was incredible.
Speaker 1: No, she had the star energy that everyone in the room wishes they had.
Speaker 2: This woman was saying goodbye to her family every day to fight these fucking fires. Yep, we just need to put that on TV more. That's all at Award shows bring out real people.
Speaker 1: In a real way. The entire night was a perfect balance of acknowledging obviously the trauma that everyone has been through and the fear that people have, but also the little moments of levity, like I loved when I mean it's it's obviously devastating, this is the reality that we even have to have this. But the fact is, like there was a couple of mons where they show people going through rubbish and like finding wedding rings or those little moments of hope. I mean they probably raised a lot of money. They said seven million. At that one point in the show, I was moved to donate. Everyone should donate. I mean, it was, it was. It was a really well balanced evening in a time that feels so fucking messed up. And obviously so much has been going on in the past couple weeks, and we, by the way, just want to affirm our solidarity with the trans community and just make sure that everyone knows that we got there back because what's going on is so fucked up. But it was great to see so many people standing up using their voices in a time that feels weird because it feels like we're letting one person control everything. And I'm not talking about Trump. I'm talking about Elon fucking Musk. I just watched like this crazy YouTube video with Jasmine Crockett before I got on here. The vibes are so all over the place because Beyonce's album of the Year, but Elon's taking over the world. It's at a fever pitch right now.
Speaker 2: It's just crazy easy that you have a Best New Artist winner say something, speak so cogently and directly to this like real issue that so many people, not even just musicians, so many people understand. And meanwhile it's all these headlines being like the Democrats don't have a message. It's like, yeah, what the fuck, what the fuck are you do? It's right there. It's crazy. Then, like this queer girl is reading from her mole skeine or from her life term or whatever. Yeah, speaking to the people in a way that like is so invigorating and so validating and tragic and dark and all of these things. But meanwhile there's like a messaging issue for like this horrible, horrible, dysfunctional party. It's it's so crazy. I mean, yes, like there was something about last night the Grammys that was life and beautiful and communal and all these things, but it also sadly felt like ensconced in that space, yes only, and like we just need we need to sort of let that out, We need to ventilate that that whole vibe. I don't know how I sound like a fucking idiot saying this, but like, no, I agree, I mean that's what that's what I want.
Speaker 1: That's what I was thinking about the entire time. I was just like, it's so crazy to hear these attacks on DEI whish. I can't even believe, like is an acronym that we're like discussing in this in this way like.
Speaker 2: A slur, Just say any slur.
Speaker 1: It's like a given that obviously diversity strengthens everything, period, our country, our world, period. You're watching this night, it's like even on a vibe check alone, if you're at home watching that, you're not you're not questioning things a little bit. Like I'm so happy that they didn't make explicit mention of you know, Trump or whatever, because then he would have felt the need to like pick on people or getting to fight with this you know, award show as it were. He'll like he loves to just like feud with him as if they're individuals. But it's just crazy that we can hold both right now. It's wild that people can't see that there is a truth in a light. I don't know, it is wild.
Speaker 2: I went a little crazy as the night went on, as they were wrapping the evening around the fires, Yeah, which they should have and I think they executed that beautifully and the objective was met, which was money was raised. The other piece of that that was missing I thought was why aren't you acknowledging that this is climate change. Yeah, like why are we afraid to acknowledge this? Which is why when Gaga finally says trans people are not invisible, I burst into tears because I just I was just holding this. There was just this tension the entire time of like, so we're just not going to like talk about any of this, We're not going to acknowledge how everything is fucking is the bleakest it's been in a long time. Yeah, there are all these different forces at play and all these different whims and so many things that like are beyond comprehension. But there was just something like fine, like finally some valve was like yeah, and a little bit when someone acknowledges like the way that the industry is so fucking crazy in terms of developing artists, the way our current attitude towards transgender people is unacceptable, inhumane, is inhumane, just full stop, Like yes, Gaga, thank you, like truly, this is why this is why I'm like we energized on Gaga, not just because of Abracadabra, but because it's like, wow, she's at an award show. She is like using this platform in the way that is has always been true.
Speaker 1: To her as a leader, as a real leader, as a true leader and a true ally and a true icon to the queer community. And she knew that this was I mean, not that she needs an opportunity, she knews, This is no, she knew this was her duty to do that, and it is so real. And then for her to release that song and it's not meaningful because of this, because it's meaningful on its own merits, because the song is so great and it's just so exciting and it's so Gaga, but also it does call back to a time in her career which felt like we didn't have to worry about the world hugging us back, you know what I mean, Like it was giving that born this way vibe, that those kinds of sounds like it was so it was like a hug. It was like a sweaty, euphoric molly hug from Lady Gaga towards the queer community. And we fucking needed that. And I again was this is I guess another moment from the telecast, which I guess we're considering it a part of it. But like I was up out of my chair, I could not sit down last night watching these Grammys. I really couldn't. It was just it's so fitting too, to come at the end of a musical year that was so honestly important because it was a one constant throughout this year was that music, you know, popular music. While we can have problems with the industry aspects of it, it really was a salve all year. And it felt like you saw the people in that room getting the credit and having some fun together that had really been there in our ears all year. And to put it, like in super simple terms, but it just felt good and for her to do that was yes, a moment that was so necessary.
Speaker 2: Thankful for the cuts into the audience, like, whoever's in the control room, Bravo, bravo, jam you were jamming, you were jamming. The cuts to Taylor were not too excessive. Let that girl dance in pe.
Speaker 1: I love Taylor Swift at that award show because you know what, she's kicking back those champagne flutes she is putting on Janelle monae'st keeping it on all night. She's dancing around because I guess for her, it's like she might as well have fucking fun. Of course, she knows the entire world is gonna judge her anyway. Sure, I'll be the only one standing up good. I hope I can get to a place in my life where I can go anywhere and I want to dance. I do it. That's what I'll say. I hope I dance. In the words of Leanne Womack, I'm repurposing the Queen. But I hope I dance.
Speaker 2: Or how about you flip it and go you hope I dance? Make it a command?
Speaker 1: How about we flip it and reverse it. We hope we dance, waite, that's the title of app We hope.
Speaker 2: We hope we dance.
Speaker 1: That's actually good. We hope we did. For Gaga, the category is dance or die.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, But we just have to give a shout out to miss cardboard powder.
Speaker 1: Cardboard powder, is it? I mean, that was a great moment in time and the fact that like no one, no, there was no little titters, there was no little after we're the only idiots that are making an issue of it. But Beyonce just clean one cardboard cardier.
Speaker 2: Just to finally put appeared on this. We need to say, Captain Sheila Keller Herberkoh, you are truly a legend. You were perfect and now the nominee for Album of the Year. It just brings me joy. I'm truly I just have to make myself clear. I'm not making fun of this person. No, I just that brought me joy. I'm like, this is this is who we need to uplift to me.
Speaker 1: I was like, my whole thing was like this feels like Central Casting, La Firefighters. I'm like, this woman is everything. She's holding the space.
Speaker 2: Her hair.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the hair was perfect. It was kind of giving a throwback. It was kind of giving you know, late eighties, early nineties country woman.
Speaker 2: It was giving jud It's giving Judd and I was saying, it's giving Judd meets Ava Max on even sides.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Or do I just just had one one side of the hair over the shoulder and the other behind. But I did think of my girl Ava.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I don't know why I thought it was giving jud But you know what I'm saying, It's.
Speaker 2: Like, no, it is Jud And no, I totally know what you're saying.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there was a nod here. I mean, I think not only were most of the musical acts album of the Year agoing country. I think so was La firefightress Hiro Hiero.
Speaker 2: I do want to talk about this idea of righting wrongs because I agree with that, and I also think did we overcorrect by having these poor people from the academy be forced to apologize publicly to the weekend.
Speaker 1: I think that if they felt they needed to do that, then it's good that they did that, because clearly there was something wrong. I mean clearly, yeah, I mean, come on, we have to give credit. Also, Sabrina took home too, and I was confronted a little bit in some group chats about people being like really espresso for pop vocal performance. Let me tell you something about that tasty little cookie voice you hop on the track. That song is a hit because of her vocal. It is a warm little summer coup. And just because a vocal is not rangy does not mean it doesn't have artistic value.
Speaker 2: It is an artistic choice to whisper like this on a song.
Speaker 1: Yes, that is performance.
Speaker 2: So I guess you can't stand Lana anymore if you took issue with this this one. A coup is a choice.
Speaker 1: A coup is a choice that's actually real. Culture number six is a choice and you know that one will be in the book, and now after every rule of culture, we're gonna have to signify whether or not it's going to be in the book, which is officially.
Speaker 2: Happening absolutely, Sabrina. I thought I did not know the reference until the next day that it was Goldie Han.
Speaker 1: It was a Goldie reference.
Speaker 2: Love that actually she is. That's the thing. I'm like, the death beca thing, like it's all coming together.
Speaker 1: Really telegenic doesn't really cover it, huh, because it's another thing to hit the spot where you're supposed to stand, have the light hit you and bring joy to the world. It's another thing too. How do I put this so much control over the movement in her eyes? Like beep beep, She's like a little cartoon cookie.
Speaker 2: I want to buy it out quite frankly, Well, you know, there is this thing going on where people are commenting on a wheel and maybe a TikTok as well of miss Adie Bryan on Seth Myers recently, and a lot of the comments blowing up saying, oh my god, she looks just like Sabrina Carpenter. And I think it's in the eyes, it's in the nose, it's in the beautiful lips. But the eyes really do have it. As they say, if you, if you are someone who has control over wherey eyes beep in boop, you are made in the shade.
Speaker 1: You're made in the shade, and you're made for TV and film. And what I love to about Sabrina's performance I love this. She comes out does espresso, does please, please please, and then goes back to espresso espresso, like as if to comment on No, the song's never over. This is never over. This is a movement, not a moment.
Speaker 2: This was an earworm, a monoculture song when people said that those weren't possible anymore.
Speaker 1: What do you think was in her flask all night?
Speaker 2: Hard to say. I mean, she was really loving sipping from it and I wanna set, but she kept her composure in the in a way that makes me go, maybe she's just doing a fun little performance.
Speaker 1: I think it was a Jennifer Piedranti Malibu and Diet.
Speaker 2: Not Jennifer Pedranti.
Speaker 1: You heard what I said, My girl gives Jennifer Pedranti. Okay, Sabrina and Jennifer Pandranti. I want to see that actors on actors.
Speaker 2: I want to say, speaking of Sabrina, let's tie this into producer that you're non classical goes to Dan Nigro yep, who is apparently working with Sabrina.
Speaker 1: Oh, I love that.
Speaker 2: Does that maybe add something explanatory to this little bit of gossip that Sabrina and Olivia were chit chatting last.
Speaker 1: I mean, first of all, if you don't think I scrutinized the video of them hugging, you'd be deeply mistaken. Was there a hug, There is a big hug. There was happy chatter. Because I'll tell you what the recording Academy, the literal actual recording Academy does is they put those reaction shots up, like the crowd footage. No one's safe, like Bruno Mars reacts to Doci's performance, you know what I mean, like this, this, that, And I was like, this is so funny of them to just dive in in this way and double dip in, not just like a you know, we're officially like giving quality honors and then we're also dipping into the celebrity aspect of it. But they had me and I will say can confirm it seems good between Sabrina and Olivia and I think they might do Lost Coach together. Just kidding. Let's start the rumor.
Speaker 2: Well, the end game of this is collab. Absolutely.
Speaker 1: The endgame is they take this podcast from us. Yes, yeah, they would be better and we can be pop Asian in a blonde, Asian in a blonde. Wait, we really are Olivia and Sabrina in a way and Asian in a blond.
Speaker 2: I want to say that. On the note of the Grammys, the Recording Academy kind of putting grists for the mill out there.
Speaker 1: Oh you ate that grist for the mill girl, Where does that have its origins?
Speaker 2: I think from mills. I think from mill work.
Speaker 1: Do you hear just hear my Vegas laugh horn. We haven't even touched on Vegas. Guys.
Speaker 2: We will get to it because there's a couple more big things we need to talk about. We need We visited Aberkadabra first of all. Yeah, we're not done with Abracadaboro.
Speaker 1: We haven't even picked up the wand don't oh the hat costuous mom night. Are you fucking kidding me?
Speaker 2: Oh my god, christoer the mill real quick.
Speaker 1: It's like the Academy like Opra, are you fucking kidding me. I'm sorry, I'm gonna jumping ahead. Go say what you need to say to the Recording Academy.
Speaker 2: Remember like when they were tweeting the day before, like this person sitting with this person. Yeah, like that huge list of like oh why are they doing this because it's getting us excited because they knew that the night would be hugely eventful and interesting, and I thank them.
Speaker 1: There was a photo and it's going around as the Powerpuff Girls of Sabrina Carvert's chapelone and Billie Eilish all together looking like a three legends and slaves. And I just wanted Olivia in there. I wanted to get my girl in there. I wanted four. I wanted that picture of Kesha, Nicki Minaj, Katy Perry, Yeah, and Rihanna redone right.
Speaker 2: It is also giving Charlie's angels and it does does that make Olivia the Demi Moore?
Speaker 1: You know what I just all I'm saying is I it seemed united in there, even like, oh my god, I can't believe I screwinized these videos so much, but the Recording Academy posted them like even just sort of you know, the girls walking by each other. It seemed civil in there, and they knew they knew the world needed to see harmony.
Speaker 2: I'm just gonna put this out there, okay, And I think this is somewhat responsible of me. And I think this this, this speaks to something and a subsession that we have around these narratives that we form around these people. Yes, I'm gonna tell you firsthand, these people like each other. Okay, yeah, they just they just like each other. And I can tell you primary sources. I'm not gonna tell you which, but you can get us. At the end of the day, these people respect and love each other and they're all in this together, all right.
Speaker 1: And the same is true with podcasters. Put your weapons down, put your weapons down. Put you and because let me say something, stop with all this feud about podcasters. Stop with this stuff, with the feud about Matt bow Kat Pat Joel Kim, Stop with Dak Shepherd. Y'all are always putting us in a feud with Dak Sheppard. And can we just say we love the man and we all know each other, Okay, we hang out, We respect each other as artists.
Speaker 2: Wait, Dan I Grew, I'm just saying that is I mean that's like an anointing that I think is really really cool and I liked his earring. Yes, and Amy Allen Songwriting of the Year, A Songwriter of the Year classical, this woman Short and Sweet, all the big tracks on Short and Sweet along with Hillie Michaels. Yeah, we love Julie Michaels. I think she was. She was there last night, looked so happy, looked just so proud to represent all the work that she's done, but especially in Short and Sweet. But Amy Allen Apata with Rose and Bruno behind that and was on sky Riley Smile too. She wrote all the Smile two tracks.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, Yeah, people are really living for that.
Speaker 2: Like this girl is one to watch.
Speaker 1: She's there. I mean, she's the Grammy winner first somewhere end of the year. And also another thing, the Billie of it all. Somebody in this situation was gonna have like a off night in terms of taking things totally. But the good news is for Billie Eilish she has nine nine, She has two Academy Awards, and I think that isn't she a When she was a nominee for Most Awards Award for Most Awards with the Culture Award.
Speaker 2: So she's nominated for a Nowcca, she's good on the hardware, She's really good on the Harvard.
Speaker 1: But it is she's got hardware, you know, coming out of her booty.
Speaker 2: It's just because that is perhaps her best album and to have no, I get it, I totally get it. No, but you're right, it's like, what would we have traded? You know what I mean?
Speaker 1: I would have made a trade. I can picture trade. Here's what I'll say, Song of the Year, song of the year, give it to Billie Eilish if she's gonna go home empty handed everywhere else.
Speaker 2: No, No, no Record of the Year, because song of the Year is definitely not like us.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm one of them. I mean so if you're looking at it in terms of songwriting, yeah, I guess the reason why not like us is as high impact is because of the writing.
Speaker 2: But Record of the Year I'm just saying, like, just production wise, so come on.
Speaker 1: That would be my trade just And that's just in a world where it's less fun when those awards are won by one.
Speaker 2: Song totally, and also in categories filled with these amazing we're stacked with these women like it all gets split and Kendrick doesn'tmerge out of that victorious which sligh.
Speaker 1: I was a little worried for Chapel there when somebody looked like it was gonna be a Sabrina sweep, I was like, I mean, as much as I live and die for Sabrina, I was like, we can't. We have to have Chapel up there getting something, especially after that performance. Best New Artist is the perfect award for her to win, because not only is she the most high impact, you know, exciting new star of the year critically and commercially, I would you know, wager to say, but also the way that she changes the way we talk about mm hmm them, and the way that the just the way she's demanded respect. The way that she commanded the room last night. She you know, it's almost like she was being given, not licensed, but the fact that everyone in that room was down to stand up and applot and she had Taylor fucking Swift standing up and applauding that sentiment that is huge.
Speaker 2: It's a major Taylor's always gonna ride for. Like the work. Yeah, what Chapa was saying was the work should not devastate us in this and it's because of the rect It's because of the industry. Yeah, like this girl got fucking drop Like it's that's another like slight similarity to Gaga, where it's like, oh, these are both huge visionary artists, queer artists who were fucked over by this business.
Speaker 1: The insight into the music industry that I do have, I will say, it's shocking when you realize how hard it is to make money, When you realize how much work goes into this stuff, it would shock you. It is so much harder. It's incomparable to any other section of the entertainment industry that I could see, you know what I mean, Like speaking of someone who's written, acted and done the music and touring thing, like you would have to be huge to make even a little bit of money just doing recorded music. It is a harsh reality of that, and for her to get up there and do that, especially with the narrative that she's had, they should take it seriously. They should take it very seriously.
Speaker 2: It's just a class issue that she spoke to.
Speaker 1: You are so right when you said that, because of course, people who work hard four systems that can reward them with basic human dignity should be given that dignity.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's crazy speaking of people who put in the work to change something, hopefully institutionally. Charlie XCX finally a Grammy winner. Yeah, so incredible to think because she literally has a song about how she goes to the Grammys to be a terrorist. Basically, yeah, like incredible. This is someone who like carved her own path, had her own vision for what she was gonna do, dabbles between being a quote unquote mainstream pop artist, and then has like swung the pendulum in such a crazy incredible way that to see her finally get rewarded in this way and to see her have this celebratory victory lap at the Grammys in a way that's like a little bit like gratuitous, a little bit like I even was clutching my pearls a little bit like, oh, this is a lot, But like by the end of it, I was like, that's exactly what it should have been.
Speaker 1: It was uncompromising, which is what's been so incredible about her. It was brat it was it was the last, not the last, because who's who's the fucking say, But it was an exclamation point on that whole fucking album cycle because guess what, even if you're still even if you're one of those people out there who's like, oh, I'm so over brat, like blah blah blah.
Speaker 2: She makes drug you seem uncool. That's kind of built into her her view on this, which is this is gonna rub someone the wrong way no matter what, no matter what time in the cycle of and the development of this era. For me, quote unquote, it's kind of bulletproof. And I think it's brilliant absolutely. I mean, I still stand that it was the album of the year culturally. I will always think that, Yes, yes, I agree. I agree.
Speaker 1: If the trade is that Beyonce gets that moment for what is essentially a career of greatness, then everything is right with the world. But they knew it too, that that was the thing that we would want to end the show on because it was the last performance. And even if Beyonce took the award, Charlie XCIX punched us in the fucking face and that's exactly what should have happened, and her say maybe at the end of it, Happy birthday, Julia Fox on the Grammy Awards. I love it. That was Yeah, great programming, great programming. When are we like this about any award show when.
Speaker 2: No, I know, truly this is this is a rare moment and we should see it and we should live in this for as long as possible. Charlie is the fourth woman, fourth solo female artist who win Best Dance Electronic Album after Madonna, Gaga, Beyonce. Crazy. She joins those people. It's crazily a category dominated by like by men apx twin or male acts, daftpun chemical brothers, girle xpread again which love to those people, but it is so weird that it's like you would think that women would dominate that. But let's see if it shifts at all, like that seems to be like a fertile ground. Even still, I'm I will never tire of a of a girly pop or even a Kia putting out a dance electronic album.
Speaker 1: No, I mean the first of all, can I just say, Charlie and Gaga are gonna be a Coachella. It's good, and that's just that's it's so soon and it's gonna be so fucking good. Like now, let's talk about Africa, dabber, because I was texting you guys, we were in the group chat text thing and I had, you know, walked away from the TV for a second because I figured, you know, commercial break, and I just remember looking over and seeing her in that fucking red spiked get up and knowing that mother Monster was present and speaking. She tapped on that mic and I just texted, you guys, guys, look at the TV and.
Speaker 2: We trust me. I was already looking, but I'd like you. I turned away for a second and then I heard her say the category is dance or Die, and I was like, something's happening, Well, you know.
Speaker 1: What is I know Jared, and I know Jared had muted the TV because he does that during commercials Now. I just needed everyone to be on the same page that she was. I thought it was just going to be a clip. I thought it was just going to be you know, maybe fifteen seconds and it to announce that there was a new single. It was the entire video and then presented by MasterCard at the end. Was my laugh. I did actually collapse with laughter. But wow, the visuals they were exciting the entire time. She looks insane, the post chorus bo the post chorus bruh are you? And now it's making me love disease even more, and we said this way it came out that we could not wait to hear it in context. It is going to be so good in contact with the way that song starts. When you hear this other song, It's just it's gonna breathe. It's gonna really feel very good live. This is gonna be very good. Mayhem is going to be extremely canon.
Speaker 2: She does a thirty minute extended interview with Rolling Stone about just with all the stems of disease she's playing you the snare, the kick, the bass, the all the vocals, all the everything in the stack. It's like, go and listen to this because it will open up the entire world of disease for you, and you will understand it to be one of the best Gaga songs. Just trust not.
Speaker 1: Since the BTS feature out on the Substance has there been a thirty minute explainer that's yes, so necessary. We haven't seen this in weeks. It's been weeks since we've seen this.
Speaker 2: I just think Mayhem is gonna be a gaggy time for many reasons. That's all we can say.
Speaker 1: I mean, she said, she said, I have long dreamed of a time, a week day of hosting a dance party in the desert. I have long dreamed, and then you do hear that dream in this music. I was like, this is this is meant to be amongst the stars, the skies and the sands.
Speaker 2: This is what's going on in my life. I tragically can only make it to Sunday night of weekend one. I am now extending my stay in California so that I can so that I cannot possibly miss Friday Weekend two when Gaga goes up.
Speaker 1: I think it's worth it. I think you have to absolutely.
Speaker 2: No, are you kidding me? I have to see her, I ask what.
Speaker 1: She's my favorite.
Speaker 2: I love her so much. I burst into your last night. I burst into here's when you said trans people are not invisible. I was like, this, this this woman, this woman has been so important to us. To understand you of course you do.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's just we need to thank her. It's not to be missed. This is not going to be And also just her getting carried in her goofy face when she's like what how do you even describe? It's when she sent her frame in the video and there she's seated and she's in her chair, just like having a spasm. I'm like, yeah, this is the Gaga that It's funny because she did come back with Chromatica. She gave dance pop again and all this stuff about like, you know, her return to the dance war. We we've talked about it, like we've been like, excuse me, knock knock. We just got back from our long trip to Chromatica. It we got on a spaceship and went to Chromatica. I don't understand why you don't remember this. You threw up Mark. You threw up on the spaceship Mark. Mark is not Kyle.
Speaker 2: But now now does it? Does it do anything for you that there are these visuals that are I mean absolutely.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because I don't know, like Chromatica was actually speaking to art pop a little bit in a way that I kind of loved. It was more it was living in a more r poppy space for me. I don't know how to describe it other than like brighter. Like when you saw Stupid Love you were like, Okay, you know this is but this is dark, spooky, haunted house. Gaga. I've wanted to go back to this haunted house. I liked it.
Speaker 2: You've long wanted to go back to this haunted house.
Speaker 1: I'd like the drama, and the Chromatica had drama of course. I mean those instrumentals that Chromatica won two and three like that broke up the album. It was there. But there's a vocal drama in what she's doing here, and there is a lot of characterization that is new, which is really exciting to hear from her, like this this vocal fry that she is using, but it's like placed differently, you know what I'm talking about? Right like that? Absolutely, no, he's made discoveries vocally.
Speaker 2: Well, it's interesting that you say Chromatica is in dialogue with art pop, because I am getting the sense that Mayhem is in many ways also in dialogue with art pop because Abraca Dabra does remind me, does seem to be a child between Aura and Venus.
Speaker 1: Okay, I can definitely feel that. For me, it's just it's it's more like but it is giving fame Monster, not Sisa. It's some Swine. But Swine was also art pop.
Speaker 2: So you are right, interesting, very interesting. I think what gave me chills to think about was if this is hearkening back to the darker tracks of Born this way and The Fame Monster. I thought, well, The Fame Monster wasn't even a full length fucking album, and if we're about to get that, and I think I love that it's ending on Die with a smile, by the way. Personally, I think it will fit, it will work in the sequence. I just think this is, this is, this is going to be a hugely important album for us, for many people. Just just I just have a feeling. She is having fun, she is confident, she's doing stuff. She's gonna be at the SNL February fourteenth show at Radio City. I cannot wait to see her.
Speaker 1: That's gonna be amazing. Last time we saw her radio City was the Tony Bennett Show, that iconic Tony bentche.
Speaker 2: Iconic Tony Bent show. I have some intel on what she might be doing at this show. And it's gonna be fun. It's gonna be fun. That's all I can say.
Speaker 1: March seventh, I mean that's two days half my birthday. This is the birthday gift. This is Piscy season. Gaga you know doesn't feel Pisces. It's not giving that, but just know that it will it will be meaningful.
Speaker 2: Well, it's it's Pisc's Season for You, and it's a Scorpio album for me. Perhaps I would say not not to center ourselves in this.
Speaker 1: But I would agree with that deeply.
Speaker 2: Paris Gerbels Bethany Vargas co directing this video with Gaga Bravo. I thought it was gonna be a return to Nick Knight because it felt very fame the o de Parthas commercial. I don't know if you remember that where she is I do in a dark space and all these muscular men are climbing a giant version of herself. There was just a lot of parallels. But the narrative of this video I think so beautiful to me. It's just her and Red. It's a battle between light and dark and guess what the light winds, the light winds.
Speaker 1: And also I mean just the fact that like her and the dancers are just gathered there so Mother Monster can order them to play her little game. Category is dance ar Die. They dance for it, and they dance. We see the routine, we see the passion, we see the dance, and then at the end they look up and Mother Monster is looking away, and then she looks at the camera as if to say yes, acceptable. And the last shot of the video is Gaga on the floor looking up like and it's like she's you know, she's done her job. She's won.
Speaker 2: She has not died.
Speaker 1: Please mother monster, she can continue on today.
Speaker 2: Well. Gaga has said in the last twenty four hours since this video came out that this video is about a path forward. Wow, and the only path forward, the only alternative to dying is to what dance.
Speaker 1: Category is dance or die.
Speaker 2: I don't care that I'm reading too much into this. I really don't care. There is something that is healing about me being obsessed with a Lady Gaga song like this that we are all obsessed with because she's given it to us so many times before. I feel like Rain on Me was like one of the only bright spots in that lockdown period, Yeah, where we were all listening to this song at the same time and it felt incredible. I just I can't thank her enough. I can't thank this woman enough.
Speaker 1: It's just coming from a very commanding place, and I think that's all we really want to do is take orders from Gaga, you know.
Speaker 2: What I mean?
Speaker 1: That's ultimately what I the only leader that I believe in as of right now is Lady Gaga. Yeah, and she says dance or die. So that's an easy choice for me right personally. But I'm not a nihilist. I'm an optimist. You're an optimist, the opposite of a nihilist.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about another Let's talk about Vegas.
Speaker 1: We had fun.
Speaker 2: We had a lot of fun, didn't we.
Speaker 1: We had Shanaia on Friday, we had Mariah on Saturday, and we had destruction on Sunday. How did you feel getting on the plane from Vegas to New York? Because my plane ride from Vegas to LA was.
Speaker 2: Tough and famously that's a quick one.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, that it's It's really no big deal in the eyes of God, right think about this five hour flight for me. Willing to think about it, willing to.
Speaker 2: But I do feel comfortable sharing this because it did gag me. Okay, and I told you this already.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Oh, okay, good. I think I think this. I think this is definitely fair game.
Speaker 2: I get on my plane, I have my I have my blinders on. Then I see it my foot at the foot of my seat, a little bottle of like hand sanitizer or something. And I was like, oh, that's not mine. I take it up. I go to my seat partner next to me, lovely man named Michael. We got to chatting. I said, is this excuse me?
Speaker 1: Is this yours?
Speaker 2: He goes no, I turn around, excuse me, is this Marishka Hargitay.
Speaker 1: NBC icons on the plane?
Speaker 2: She said, oh, that's my perfume and we shared a laugh. She was making jokes with me, does she.
Speaker 1: Reckoni is the queen?
Speaker 2: I did not want to bother her. I think she was with her wonderful daughter. And then upon de planing, we just exchanged pleasant trees. She was there to see me barghetzy Ah, and I was very vulnerable and trade with her that I was there too. She was like, this is gonna work week. I was like, I was there to see Shania Maria and she goes, oh, well, of course, so glad I got to share that with There.
Speaker 1: Were like two crowds in Vegas. There was the Nate Bargatzi stand up crowd, and there was the Shanaia Mariah crowd.
Speaker 2: There was the Sharia law Sharia lat well, there was the Sharia crowd and there what's the Barghetzie pund that we can come up with now we can't really Barghetzi, barghetsie, Bargetzi laughing, Bargetzi, pargett Te.
Speaker 1: This is why we are not Nate Bargozzi and making the pilgrimage to Vegas to see.
Speaker 2: Us, and we can even be clean comics. We gotta put dirty words and say hole and.
Speaker 1: Cough and we're saying and cock for laughs. We're out here begging on the street. We're destitute comedically saying hole and cock for laughs. That we are destatic, comedically pathetic wastes.
Speaker 2: That's true.
Speaker 1: Anyway, we sus Shania on Friday. Here's what I'm gonna say about the Shania show. Incredible energy from Shanaya. We need to get her in a better outfit, guys, she's my girl. Was wearing a negligible. She was comfortable, but can we get an outfit on her in Vegas? Please dazzle us with the outfits. Come on, don't do Shanaya like that in a peach negligee.
Speaker 2: Totally.
Speaker 1: She sang, honey, I'm home and I had a hard day.
Speaker 2: But you know, also up up up, can only go up from here.
Speaker 1: How is she gonna get us good? How is she gonna get you good in a peach neglige and a top hat. Get that woman in a better out fit. I'm serious, hm hmm. And that's gonna be my brave take today. Okay, but because she she gave us a performance and the songs are songing, but she was in she was in that off but I didn't like for too long. And now if it's got a little bit better. But this is Las Vegas, this is the boxed theater at Planet Hollywood.
Speaker 2: Right, I will say one of the great great songs is man I feel like a woman.
Speaker 1: There's no disputing I would have started with it, she ended with it. I do think man I feel like women at the top would have really got us going.
Speaker 2: But man, I feel like a woman is the defining gravity of songs. I would say it is that.
Speaker 1: Man, I feel like woman is the defining gravity of songs.
Speaker 2: It's a war cry. It is that.
Speaker 1: Don't impress me much. I just feel like I can never get over the d heightened between Okay, so he's got a car. Oh so, okay, so you're a rocket scientist. Okay, okay, so you got a car doesn't work comedically. We need Shanaia and UCB sketch one on one.
Speaker 2: So you're saying car rocket scientists, Brad Pitt or car this.
Speaker 1: Here's what I would rather. Here's what I would rather in order, I would rather the guy I'm fucking have a car. Well, first thing, I would say, even baseline living in LA have a car.
Speaker 2: And I don't relate to that because I live in New York and most of us take public transportation.
Speaker 1: Right, But okay, so you have a I mean for me, it's like car is one thing you can get from place to place, like it's not going to be tough to see you. Next, I would say, okay, rocket scientists then for me, because it's like you're clearly successful, you know what I mean. I don't know that we can talk about a lot of things because I don't know anything about rocket science, right, but I like that you're engaged in what you do, you know what I mean, Because I don't think you're a rocket scientist by accident. I think if you're a rocket scientist, you love rockets and everything there about. You applied yourself in this way and congratulations. Would rather fuck you than someone that just had a car. And then, even though I'm concerned about like a high probability of narcissism. I can't deny Brad Pitt would be the most desirable thing for me Matt Rogers out of those things. So that's the order I think it should go, because I think the dick would be so good that the narcissism wouldn't matter that much. And I'm also not positive that Brad Pitt is a narcissist, But it's just that he's Brad Pitt, right.
Speaker 2: I mean that woman in France or whatever gave away so much money because she thought this guy was him.
Speaker 1: Sure, and I mean people have given away a lot more and less. My thing with Brad Pitt is it's like we can go there. Yeah, but that would be the natural progression for me, And I just think I don't think it would be too tough to do it. We'd have to look at the verse, but you know, we could do it. I imagine we rewrite that don't impress Me much, a hugely successful song on this episode. We just rewrite it and restructure it. Pitched to her, she says.
Speaker 2: No, which she has every right to do.
Speaker 1: Now she trust me. I hope whatever never has to know about us. I hope the only word she ever says to me is no. I hope I'm starting to go shit and I I love it. I hope I just hear no, Yeah, that will be fine totally. I would say.
Speaker 2: Car, but again I don't relate because need them to have a car. Though, I'm going to say something crazy. Okay, my order Brad Pitt, because you don't care he's had. Of course I care. She's an amazing actor, a talent and I looking.
Speaker 1: Guy, A great looking guy, but troubled. I would say too much for me, girl, trouble. Let's let's fuck once. You know what I mean.
Speaker 2: And it do impress me much that it's him, but it would be more. It would be more impressive if I met you and after you look like Brad Pitt. You also have a car in New York City. I say, wow, this guy, this guy's is one to watch.
Speaker 1: Okay, so there's Brad Pitt, there's then car.
Speaker 2: Car.
Speaker 1: You're saying, rocket scientist is your most desirable the greatest heighten.
Speaker 2: You gotta be really smart?
Speaker 1: Doesn't it mean you have good stroke game?
Speaker 2: I don't know. I think maybe I'm a sapio sexual.
Speaker 1: I don't think you are. Hmm, can I say something about you. I've never thought you were a sapio sexual for one night.
Speaker 2: Now I'm kidding, girl, I am shallow. Really.
Speaker 1: If you are fucking a rocket scientist and the stroke game is on ten, we want you to be on an episode of Lost Coach. We'll do the voice change thing on you. But if you're fucking a rocket scientist, who is the best sext of your life or anything close to it, please contact us somehow, some way. You'll find a way, I'm sure, and don't play games. Don't mess around. We don''t fake that you're fucking a rocket scientist, and don't try to find someone that is. I'm talking to people, and Bowen, I'm sure you agree with me. Here we cut the bullshit. If you're fucking a rocket scientist and the stroke game is looking like what Dylan O'Brien does in the Sun Dance movie. He's in that he just won that award for Did you see that?
Speaker 2: Give?
Speaker 1: I did not? Uh, stroke game has to be on Dylan O'Brien rocket scientist, then contact Lost Coach. We want you to come on now for a full episode. We'll do ten minutes.
Speaker 2: I will say if it is the triple crown of rocket scientist car Brad Pitt. It's happening if it's all if you're all.
Speaker 1: Three oh period. If you're a Brad Pitt, you're a rocket scientist, and you have a car, you could fuck lost coach.
Speaker 2: Maybe the order doesn't matter at the end of the day.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, because in a world where the thing I'm thinking about is song structure, it matters deeply. Of course, of course, fine, but it don't impress on me much that I have a little sigh come out of my body every time. So you got a car happens at the end of that song. I mean going into that final chorus as excited as I could be, because I feel I don't know, I'm waiting.
Speaker 2: Brad Pitt is you're right on a songwriting level, on a heightened level. Absolutely, Brad Pitt is the last one I agree with you. I think you were just I think I thought we were just sharing our personal values and priorities.
Speaker 1: No, I mean listen, and I think it's important that we did because I think it'll affect the songs that we write. And I think that now the audience knows what to expect from us a little bit better and listen if Shanaia's whole thing. And remember she's from like a place in Canada that I think think her town doesn't.
Speaker 2: Even have a name.
Speaker 1: Mm if for her, having the car is the number one thing. Look, I don't know what the Canadian reality is. I don't know what the country. Canadian reality is of having a car is huge to her. Maybe she's really excited. Maybe she's I don't know, what are we you an autophiliac? Maybe Shaniah wants to Maybe she has a thing with cars.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sure, Mariah Carey. And there's one more, and remind me to go back to one more thing about the Grammys that we did a huge thing that we missed. But let's let's before I don't want break up here.
Speaker 1: I knew there was gonna be something. I knew there was gonna be something that we had missed, and I had a panic attack about it.
Speaker 2: Simply your you'rrejs, gonn drop. Let's talk about Marie. I do want top Mariah, do want to go back to Grammy's.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about Mariah.
Speaker 2: Okay, Mariah Carey, you are such a legend. I mean not that we need to tell you. We already have to your face. But seeing you live, seeing you sing these songs in chronological order of release, and for you to end at Mimi is both cruel and also a testament to your genius as a songwriter and an artist and a vocalist, because there's so many other hits after that that you could have put into this that list, but you chose not to because you wanted to be what a celebration of me?
Speaker 1: Me? I just feel like you can't really name anyone else who can only do forty seconds of every single one of her songs because there's so many and there's only so much time in a night, and then there's still shit. You're leaving being like, oh, she didn't do this, she didn't do this, she didn't do this, she didn't do this. But the fact is, next residency. How about that?
Speaker 2: For her to mash up Honey and Heartbreaker, that was tough, one song that was tough, But then you go, I get it, she wants to get get out of there. But those are two standalone, perfect pop songs that yes, maybe have similarity structurally or chord wise, but come on, give them their own moment. Those are so per We're We're not telling you how to do your job. Mariah, Oh please, we love you so much.
Speaker 1: Literal only thing with the whole show is she mashes up Honey Heartbreaker, and I was like, oh, those are both. There's literally my two favorites. But I'll say the songs that she did do full lengths of always be My Baby, dream Lover, which, by the way, this was my one thing. I'm kicking myself that I didn't say to Arianna on the episode we had her. I think that when Mariah eventually has her Kennedy Center Honors, Arianna should sing dream Lover. I think she would crush that. Dream Lover is so good, so good. It's so good, I mean, And yeah, that was a real It was a real trip down memory lane, and you could tell that everyone there, the lamily was just very strong. There was that guy was there by himself, and I kept turning around making eye contact with it because I knew that we were having the same moment, like, yeah, it's it was joy, I mean, Mariah is it's just those songs that take you back home. Really, if you're a LAMB, that's a show you have to go to because it's only going I think till at least this leg of it February fifteenth or something.
Speaker 2: H please go see it.
Speaker 1: It's like a tiny little run this time. I don't know what she's doing with it. I probably should, but you gotta go see Mariah do the show. Come on, it's so good. She sounds great too.
Speaker 2: She sounds great. She's having fun. She's taking tiny ass steps to the piano or to across the stage. She cannot be focused or bothered to do anything else but give you a perfect vocal. Give her, let her walk, let her cook, let her do whatever, because guess what, her voice in every sense is a comfort with what you just said, but also with her spoken word, in her sicials. I really was moved by the end when she was just saying that as an artist, the thing in life that she has learned, the biggest thing in life that she has learned as an artist, is to never give up on your dreams. That nobody, no mother, father, and she just lists people who might try to take and drain that from you. Never give that up. And that is a perfect, simple, succinct message to give to anybody and to have it feel universal, have it land universally. That's what songwriting is at the end of the day, and she guess what, she's the best at it.
Speaker 1: So there was that moment at the end where she was like and nothing and nobody, no ex husband, no husband, no boss, no boyfriend, no landlord, no dentist, no clown, no president. She went so far and listed so many names of people who could potentially hold a position of power over you, and she said that none of them can hold you back from your destiny. I mean for your dream, because I'm your dream. I had forgotten.
Speaker 2: We've both forgotten. And it's thank you, Mariah for the reminder. We just thank you for all the ways you've enriched her life, our lives. And I want to bring it back to Gramas unless there's anythinglse you want to say about.
Speaker 1: Mariah Bowen learned the rules of baccarat.
Speaker 2: I learned the rules of background. I'm not get a chance to play because the buying is so high. But and I did have fun at the blackjack table with our friends Cliff and Gustin Marie and.
Speaker 1: We had a wonderful unit. We had a family unit.
Speaker 2: We had a family unit. Was a very nice that we had to karaoke. I had a blast and then of course we were doing we were part of a larger group that was also there as well, lovely celebrating Sharia law. We know it's we know it's Sharia. We just pronounced it sharia.
Speaker 1: Shariah was just you know, it's it's it's a little fun thing you can do with words. It's called wordplay. If you're a Mariah fan, you know all about it. But I digress.
Speaker 2: You said that in a very Mariah way.
Speaker 1: I know, what can I say? Sometimes a little Mariah it's a moment.
Speaker 2: Okay, this is what we forgot to talk about. Okay, what did we literally miss Megan two point zero?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, to femininomenon the Megan two point oho trailer. That's cinema.
Speaker 2: And have you done any research at all into the plot details? No?
Speaker 1: Is Alison Williams not around in this one?
Speaker 2: You get ready?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 2: Gemma which is the character name, which is Alison Williams's character Gemma is now a writer, okay, who is criticizing the dysregulation of AI. And she's a prominent voice in the sort of like we should we should be careful about AI.
Speaker 1: She knows better than anyone. She survived the events of Meghan one zero.
Speaker 2: She survived Meghan when barely.
Speaker 1: If you saw Meghan, you know that Alison Williams barely leaves with her life. Sorry, Jemma the character that Alice Williams plays, because when it's Alison Williams up there, you completely forget about Alison Willims. You just see Gemma.
Speaker 2: Absolutely so, Jemma is now a prominent voice in this movement. Yes, somehow, Oh my god, the technology and the sort of recursive model that Megan represented, because Megan has been discontinued, well, certainly a defense or military contractor. I want to say, I might be a drink these details, but I these details are really actually crazy, and I'm gagged and I cannot wait for this movie. Someone with sinister motives has gotten their hands on the model, the Megan AI model, and is now putting it into their into a new AI named Amelia Perez. No no, no, no, no, don't say that name. I don't want to hear that name while I'm talking about Meghan or ever. Frankly, Amelia is the new girl who will be used in an army of Amelias to basically be a weapon of war. Gemma in an effort to stop this and stop Amelia has to go back, reboot Meghan and join forces with her.
Speaker 1: You are kidding? Gemma and Megan are gonna team up against Amelia? Like?
Speaker 2: Are you like?
Speaker 1: This is an amazing three dolls?
Speaker 2: I'm so excited for this movie.
Speaker 1: No, you know what, I have to disagree with you. We have to get Amelia Perez in there. What do you mean we need these cinemas to cross over. We need this cinematic No needs to combine with Megan.
Speaker 2: That bitch had her fingers chopped off. She is not gonna be involved in the Megan cinematic universe. Okay, you're right, Amelia Perez. I want no Amelia with an A. Yeah, and it's.
Speaker 1: Gonna Amelia a m E l I A like de.
Speaker 2: Moldenburg, Amelia de Moldenberg. It's an army of Amelias and the only people that can stop them are Megan and Gemma.
Speaker 1: If I was in a spelling bee and the word was Amelia, I would say can you use that in a sentence? And one thing that they could do was Chicken Shop date is hosted by Amelia. And what's the gag about that is? Demoldenburg isn't even the word you'd have to spell. You would have to spell Amelia, because that was the question to begin with. So my question to you Bowen is can you spell de Moldenburg the Mouldenberg?
Speaker 2: You're you gonna pull it up? Yes, yes, go Demuldenberg. D I am O L D E N B E r G de Moldenberg.
Speaker 1: That is correct. Aquila and the Bee more like Bowen and the Bee.
Speaker 2: Now, just so I have the details right, and just so I don't want to like mislead anybody. I'm just gonna read what I have found on the internet. Set two years after the original film, Gemma Parentheses, Williams becomes author and advocate for the regulation of artificial intelligence. When a defense contractor steals the technology behind Megan and creates their own evil AI powered robot called Amelia, who is intent on taking over the world, Gemma reboots an updated Megan to destroy Amelia. Are you not so excited for this movie?
Speaker 1: That's gonna be a mussy? When is it coming?
Speaker 2: It is coming out June twenty seventh, the end of Pride Month. They know the market will be are butt certain seeds.
Speaker 1: The gays are going to be so exhausted for Pride They're gonna need to sit down and watch a movie that's actually so that's really smart. They're gonna put that movie in theaters where it's traditionally seated, because the gays are going to need to be seated, right, The gays are going to be seated for Megan in terms of internet slang, and they're also going to be seated out of necessity because they're so tired from pride. This is so smart.
Speaker 2: Bo, This is Meghan level genius in the way that Megan the Doll is a genius.
Speaker 1: But I never bet against Alison Williams. Oh never, When have we ever? I literally never have. We have the Alison Williams Cool Girl Award for a reason at the LCCUS Okay, which.
Speaker 2: Is now henceforth known as the Alison Williams Cool Girl a World. In the words of Anti Katsenavis.
Speaker 1: Yes, cool Girls the world, cool girl the world. Have we reached out to Alison Williams not being on this podcast, I think we got to know.
Speaker 2: We got to know, well, we we've certainly reached out. We have certainly reached out. All is all I can say. We love her, We want you to love get on the show.
Speaker 1: On the show fun and and we know you can hang and Allison, you think you should be on the show. Come on, come in June, come on Lost Coach for Megan two point zero, Alison Williams challenge. That wouldn't be fair if she didn't do a lot culture restays from Megan two point zero. That wouldn't be fair to the game. Come on, Allison, I would hate for you to disappoint the entire gay community. That's all. I'm just gonna leave that hanging there.
Speaker 2: She won't do that. She already isn't.
Speaker 1: Hinges on this.
Speaker 2: Just kidding girl, Just kidding girl, cool girl, world girl.
Speaker 1: I hope the only word she ever says to me, like Shania Twain, is no.
Speaker 2: Mmmm you would why? I think you guys would get along?
Speaker 1: No, I think would be great. I think we'd be best friends. I think I think that we Well, she's already married, so we can't be in each other's weddings.
Speaker 2: I'll think about it, me and yours. For sure.
Speaker 1: She should give a speech.
Speaker 2: All right, it's time for I don't think so money. This is our one minute segment where we oh, are you okay?
Speaker 1: I'm never getting married. I have a total learning moment, we can stop the podcast. I'm never getting married.
Speaker 2: Marnie gave us permission to be to be ourselves whatever we want.
Speaker 1: Really, if you want to be a music artist, you can. You think I'm not Marnie Michaels.
Speaker 2: The name that Marnie Michaels invents when she's at the Plosa Hotel when that couple thinks she's a sex.
Speaker 1: Worker, say it, say it.
Speaker 2: Mcgita, Mergita Petezita.
Speaker 1: Whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa Mcgita Petez walked so Amelia Petez could run. That's actually rule of culture number fifty six. Mag walked, so.
Speaker 2: Run stupid. Oh my god, this is this show. Cancel us.
Speaker 1: Okay, I think I have ann't think so money.
Speaker 2: Okay, this is Matt Rogers's I don't think so honey, and his time starts now.
Speaker 1: I don't think so honey. Carlos Sophia, I think you got a can it hunt?
Speaker 2: You got a man?
Speaker 1: Missy. You gotta sit down at this point. Don't go on CNN and be pointing the fingers. You gotta sit down. When Zoe Sela Donia is a Q and A is now having to shoulder this question and calling herself saddened. Let me tell you something to anyone out there listening, if you ever do anything that results in Zoe Cela Donia at a Q and A saying she's saddened, I don't think, Sonny, you saddened, Zoe? And how dare you? You said in Selena, I'm sure and you know the troubles. How could you do this? But Carlo Sophia, I think what we could learn from this, and imagine I had anything to learn from it. We can't all be trolled, and I think if this proves anything, it's that anyone can be a troll and everyone shall be off the computer. I don't think so, honey, Emelia Petez, this is the weirdest moment of culture ever. I don't think so, honey.
Speaker 2: And that's one minute we've we've really never seen anything quite like this. And Carlo Sofia Gascone, why did you No one on the movie or at Netflix told her to do this interview?
Speaker 1: By the way, Oh no, this seemed very of her own volition. If you don't know, no, you know, Carlos Sophia, it's been unearthed, has has said some tough, very bigoted, racist stuff in the past. Claims are arising from her camp that a lot of it is fake, but I don't know because she's like half contrite and half blaming everyone else. All I'm saying is Emilia Petes has brought so much chaos, and I'll say I'll say this, I hope it doesn't if she was gonna win that Oscar Zoe, I hope this didn't mess it up for her, right, because that would be a huge bummer. Obviously we have got a friend in the category, but you know, like it looks like she was gonna finally get this huge moment in her career, and it would be a shame.
Speaker 2: It would be shame. It's just a shame that one person can really fuck up a whole movies campaign.
Speaker 1: Well, when you go that far, I know. But I'm so crazy the stuff that's out there. I mean, it's like endless too, and I don't even my god, I have nothing really that trenchon to say. I'm just like, it's just mean. It's not even it's just mean. It's not like someone being like, hey, let me use my voice in this like you know, chaotic way and that's also gonna make people think it's just kind of lazy, mean, run of the mill, racist stuff and doesn't feel good.
Speaker 2: But what you're saying and you're I don't think so money is interesting. It's like anyone can be a troll, and any troll can be an Oscar nominee. It seems like, let's just like, if there's a pill that can turn off that part of your brain, that thing that makes you want to tweet something insane, let's invent it. Because well, it's like.
Speaker 1: This weird thing where this movie is like all things. It's kind of an interesting microcosm when you think about like internet culture and like also combining with this awards culture, because the trans community hates this movie. The Mexican community hates this movie, and it's the film. It's like the prestige film community and the industry community that loves this movie. And it's kind of like those things are at odds and yet also now this person is being canceled for saying these things, and so weirdly the right is like rallying for her, but she's trans, and it's just this very odd convergence of hot button things all around this movie that is I will say again bad nuts. This movie is d wackoed nuts. And yes there is like something interesting there being said. And like I do think it's well performed. I think it's always great. I think Selena is great. I thought Carlo Sophia's performance was pretty great too. But it's just it's so bizarre, like as a film and as a movie going experience that it leaves you scratching your head. And now all this extra stuff and now it's gonna go into the Oscars, and I'll tell you what, vibes are not gonna be as high as the Grammys. The Oscars vibes. M it's amounting to be like one of the most bizarre wackle years in Oscar history.
Speaker 2: We think mister Michael Schulman will write another chapter in his book.
Speaker 1: And also, wait, one more thing, speaking of bad vibes at the Oscars. That extended part with Will Smith last night at the Grammys. I'm sorry, who's watching that guy on television and not thinking about how he assaulted a man on TV? Who are is anyone out there? Just like are we just forgetting this? Also, Chris Brown one R and B album, like all I can make is Noises?
Speaker 2: Who's watching Will Smith go on about Quincy Jones to introduce the celebratory moment for Quincy Jones by telling a fully boring anecdote about about himself about himself at Quincy Jones at a snack table at Crafty, being like, this should be better food. That's not That is not meaningful. That is not a meaningful Quincy Jones contribution to the culture. I'm sorry, mister Smith. Quincy Jones telling you to get better craft services is not one of his most is not worth sharing to millions of people.
Speaker 1: Because he took care of people. And then Will Smith is like, and that's what I've striven to do my entire career, Like making it about him, Dude, this is extra disrespectful and I'm gonna mind my business. But I'm just gonna say, I don't know who out there is not thinking about him hitting Chris Rock on stage when he's on television at an award show, like in the round, in that same style that wasn't in the round, but you know what I mean. It was just it was reminiscent in a way that didn't make me comfortable. And I don't know who's hearing Chris around as a Grammy winner's name, and not thinking about those pictures of Rihanna when he beat her up. But anyway, apparently there's you know, maybe the vibes in that room were a little too good.
Speaker 2: Hmm. That's just that's all I have. Yeah, I've got something.
Speaker 1: Okay, everyone, Bowen Yang's got something, and I'm excited about that because he's gonna show off his I don't think so, honey, skills right now, this is Boonen Yang's.
Speaker 2: I don't think so, honey. His time starts now. I don't think so, honey. Las Vegas, I love you. You're such a beautiful city. There is something in the air about the casinos not understanding or knowing how they feel about theming towards Asians. Where you have beautiful, lunar neiar things out, but also you have slot machines. Half of your slot machines are something called the China Mystery with someone in like a little a little straw hat or some such like a rice patty hat, like let's meet in the middle. At least, those seem to be an opposite end of the orientalism spectrum. And I'm not saying we have to like clean up every weird slot machine. Like, of course that is part of the imagination of Asian people in this country. But let's pick one or the other. Either be like crazy in the depiction or celebrate the year of the wood Snake. I think those things coexisting is a little dissonant.
Speaker 1: And that's a minute. Yeah. And then there was that one slot machine with the Buddha on it, and credit me if I'm wrong. It was rubbing. He was rubbing his tits together and shaking his titties, which is not what Buddha does. I didn't feel like part of buddhast thing.
Speaker 2: You know, Buddha is not gonna shimmy. Buddha is gonna sit there and be perfect. I don't mind the buddhis sloti. I don't mind the Asian slot machines. I'm not saying take take every Asian slot machine. I love like what we were talking about rush Hour too, and I ever since that movie, it was like, I want there to be like a hugely bombastically Asian casino in Vegas. Unfortunately, I think the one that comes closest is the win honestly, but it's like one or the other, you know what I mean, Like you can't have the China mystery.
Speaker 1: And exactly that one saw machine where Buda was slipping it and reversing it. I didn't know about that one. So but right if you're noticing it, I think there's a huge problem. But I think we need to raise all of them to the ground. I'm sorry, no, no, leave only the vander Pumps standing.
Speaker 2: And Beauchamp.
Speaker 1: We had the best time at Bouchamp. Shout out to Beauchamp. We love Beauchamp. And we didn't wonder iful stay at the Encore. Yeah, we had a fabulous time.
Speaker 2: My first time in Vegas since I was a teenager. I could finally drink, I could find the gamble. I had a great time and we did and we did. We only bet with like small numbers, but like we were up. I think I was up like one hundred and sixty bucks. You were up. Our friend Cliff was up, up.
Speaker 1: Up.
Speaker 2: We commend you, Cliff. You really made a killing. Well he knows what he's doing, he really does.
Speaker 1: At the blackjack table, I kind of just look out in the corner of my eye and he just like shakes his head or he or he taps the table and I do what he says, and I'm up one sixty.
Speaker 2: Well, Cliff made me realize that some of these dealers, you forget you're playing against them in blackjacks, and some of these dealers don't have your best drists in mind. So anytime I ask what the dealer recommends, I have to go Wait a minute, I'm gonna ask Cliff, because Cliff knows. We love you. Cliff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, King Daddy his shirt said the whole time, yes, and he was right. He was right about that. Here's what I'll say. We're gonna end the episode. This was a culture catch up for the Ages, so much to catch up on. Really does hearken back to episode one? I gotta say, I'm saying this was the the Grammys. It was the Grammys again.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I want to apologize if our voices sound a little nasal and cowfish. We were in Vegas saying mine is no, no, no, you know what. I'm so sorry. I shouldn't have done that.
Speaker 2: I shouldn't have done that. I didn't mean for you to No.
Speaker 1: I was being a bitch.
Speaker 2: No, No, I was, I was. I was.
Speaker 1: I don't want to ascribe this to Bowen, as it's not the case I will say my voice sounds a little bit nasal and coffish because I've been in Vegas for three days and I'm as sick as I'm sure everyone is listening to this, because everyone in America is currently sick. I also want to implore you not to touch birds.
Speaker 2: I implore you not to touch birds. And I implore you to clean your nails, because somehow I got a staph infection. Last week, you got put ravage I got. I guess they're poopy nails or child's poopy nails.
Speaker 1: Well, Bowen wipes his ass with Justice hand.
Speaker 2: Well with my with my Oh god, how did we get here?
Speaker 1: But I didn't know that about my sister. He wipes his butt with Justice hands, no paper, He goes, I'm ricking Ray hands. Anyway. I guess that's how this episode is going to end with the poopy hands joke, and.
Speaker 2: We had in every episode with the song I'm breaking.
Speaker 1: I'm not yet off book. It's really it cos Jos fam not. We're gonna go stream it right now. We're leaving. Bye.
Speaker 2: Last Culture Eatis is the production by Will Ferrell's Big Money Players and My Heart Radio podcasts.
Speaker 1: Created and hosted by Matt Rogers and Bowen Yang Executive produced by Anna Hasnia and produced by Becker Ramos, Editing mixed by Doug Bamimnik for board and our music is by Henry Murski