Speaker 1: What is up? Mets fans, Welcome back to another episode of the Mets Up Podcast. A series win against the Pittsburgh Pirates. I said we were gonna have to do it. I mentioned to sweep two of three. Not gonna get greedy, but the Mets are playing unbelievably good baseball, coming out of the trade deadline where they actively made their team worse by getting rid of Major League Baseball players. And here we are, we're playing good baseball. Looking forward to the twenty twenty seven Mets. That's gonna be a big theme of today's episode, talking about the future, cause the young guns are just absolutely dominating right now. Before we get going into it, make sure you guys subscribe to the Mets Up podcast over here on YouTube, and if you're listening to us in the car, shout out to you guys, Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Google drops the rain Drops a review, download and subscribe, And also big shout to all the members who get access to this episode early. We got an early ender. James, it's fantastic. We're recording at five forty one. I'm gonna be done with this by eight o'clock.
Speaker 2: I know for us this is this is a miracle, and again this Mets team continues to play good baseball. It's do these six games out of the break. Let us side the the blowout on Saturday.
Speaker 3: Whatever.
Speaker 2: Neither here nor there, but it's fun to watch this team play. The lineup was rolling on Friday and Sunday. Great starting pitching on Friday and Sunday.
Speaker 4: I almost want to lead with Sean Manyax.
Speaker 2: I think he's especially if we're going to focus the conversation on what's going to happen twenty twenty seven, who's going to be here, who's not going to be here, what's the path to competitive? Being competitive baseball? Team A Shawn and I has a high three Zra or like he's had for the last three months now.
Speaker 4: A low three is a high two.
Speaker 2: Zra is a starting pitcher who's throwing ninety four miles per hour, who's striking out eleven bathers, a Mets season high. No Mets pitcher struck out more batters in the game this year than Sean and I did on Sunday. This is a wonderful development and one that I wish was happening as this team was trying to keep their head above water rather than just again looking towards the next season.
Speaker 1: Yes, but again building towards twenty twenty seven. We know that Scott McClain and Thornton are definitely going to be a part of this rotation right now, which is a hilarious sentences say out loud. And Mania is too, but he's kind of the guy that everyone's going under the radar with because it's always more exciting to talk about the great young arms that the Mets have right now in the rotation. But we're going on what almost two months now with Shawn and I being not just a Cape three pitcher, yeah, being a solid, solid pitcher. And for him, like you said, to have an era that could float in the low fours, high threes, you have that as your four or five starter. All of a sudden, this Mets team feels so much different. And what do you know, the Mets have been winning more baseball games when they get actual capable starting pitching on a day and day basis. I can't believe that some way, somehow, Sham and I is making more of an impact for the twenty twenty six Mets than Freddy Peralta ever. Did I mean?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's not even a question. It does suck now when you look back that it took Sean and Ia six weeks to get himself totally back together, when there's all the nonsense about his ramp up coming.
Speaker 1: Through himself seat of spring training.
Speaker 2: Really frustrating how this all has gone down. But again, the fact that he's here I pack. Now. Do you want to hear some other pitchers in Major League Baseball who Shaan and I and even after all the nonsense early in the season, with at least one hundred innings pitched, who have a higher than Shamanaia's four point one to three er.
Speaker 1: Yes, give me, give me some names.
Speaker 2: Okay, Franbervaldez, Will Warren and Davis Martin who were world beaters for the first two months of the season. Trevor Rodgers, who people thought should have been considered the top twenty pitcher coming into the season. He's been really good for two months now. Nathan Yuvaldi, Kevin Gosman, Dustin May who just traded for two top hundred prospects, Brian Wu. People can say the top five pitcher in baseball coming here, guys, So let's still think it's all good there. But it's just it's kind of amazing, how really Freddy Pearl to David Peterson, two other ones, two old friends over there all the way with the back of the era leaderboard is just it's really nice to see and the most encouraging I think about Manaya, as Gary and Ron talked about today, as they have for his last few starts. This fastball is just on another level right now. Yeah, his confidence to beat hitters with it in the zone, his confidence to elevate that thing at the leathers, to throw the pitch sixty percent of the time. We're going on like four starts in a row now, to get that thing up to ninety five a few times, to sit ninety three harder than he's even sad any of the last few starts, and then bust the sweepers off that showing two different kinds of sweepers too.
Speaker 4: You saw today there was a faster one, a slower one.
Speaker 2: He broke off one that was like really for one of the strikeouts, and like the fifth or sixth ending, he's just he very comfortably looks like a mid rotation.
Speaker 4: Guys, we had to next year, which is all we ever could have asked.
Speaker 1: Yeah, again, like we are looking forward to twenty twenty seven because this season is over. I do see some Mets fans doing like the hopium right now of like, if we just play like the Red Sox did for the last month and a half, we could make the playoffs. I'm like, think about what you just said. Could. It's still not even a guarantee. The season's over. They're not doing anything in twenty twenty six. But it is super encouraging to see because a lot of who is doing the good play are guys who are very much gonna be here in twenty twenty seven and are expected to be a part of the core past the twenty twenty seven season. Even even just.
Speaker 2: Give a sense of like what actually I hope you and Mets have to do they get in for the Mets to end the season, five hundred will not happen, no chance whatsoever. They have to go thirty and fifteen, which they have to play. They have to play six six sixty seven ball. The rest this season of course not going to happen. And the other part of this conversation is kind of funny, is there are a lot of Mets fans and this isn't even like logically speaking, that I won't like Chastis someone for this, but that are really upset that the Mets are blowing their tank because the Mets have so much more to gain than every single other and at least not every most other baseball teams. Just by finishing the season with a bottom six or even a bottom four record, because of our draft pick doesn't fall within the top six, it gets pushed back ten.
Speaker 4: Spots, as it has every other year.
Speaker 2: Really really negatively impacted our draft pool and our MLB draft strategy.
Speaker 4: And for odds wise.
Speaker 2: You have an eighty eight percent chance if to get a top six pick if you have one of the three worst records, eighty two if you have one of the four worst records, then sixty three. One of the five worst, which is where the Mets are right now, then six tors fifty one, seven thirty nine, eight twenty nine. It's very flat odds, not like the NBA where they right now, it is like the new NBA.
Speaker 4: Actually yeah, it is where they're a new NBA where they're reflattening the odds.
Speaker 2: But there's it would have been really beneficial for the Mets draft next year to have a bottom three record. It doesn't seem like that's going to happen anymore.
Speaker 1: No, especially because like you look at the A's, you look at the Angels, you look at the Rockies, even the Giants, those teams are just yeah, the Royals, those what I name four or five teams right there, theres are better than us. Still, I don't think that's even true. What are you talking The Giants have less than fifty wins? What are you talking about?
Speaker 2: Giants are Oh wait this this Tecathon is very very far behind.
Speaker 3: Then.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was like, what are you saying the Giants? The Giants are done?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're correct on that that we do not have the fifth worst record in the league.
Speaker 1: Still, No, we definitely don't. And the Mets are gonna get cold again. This team is still not good. I want that to be very very clear. But again, the players that are making the impacts right now. I love that we can look for guys, even like when we're talking about the chaos bullpen right now, I love that we're finding dudes that feel like not just gonna stick around this year, but like will be part of this bullpen next year too. Yeah, definitely, And I do wonder everyone wants to hear about Joan. I can't believe you've got seven minutes say without talking about Jeffrey. I can great moment on Friday Night one coming into a game in big time trouble. For some reason, it was the ghost of Carls. Mendoza returns to the Mets, stuck out and after.
Speaker 2: Daniel Nunis got through with clean six sitting, it'll be like, nice, get Danielle out here, head held high. Now comes back out for the seventh, doesn't get a single out. Jeffrey Yon enters the game as a left handed pitcher, making his second major league appearance with I think three ridies do up the bases, loaded, nobody out, and he kept it to one run on a sack fly. Really good work Byon and the biggest play of which the one that closed the inning a ball in the dirt because he was throwing some dirt balls. That's right, Oh yeah, and Terrence was really doing well to block a lot of those. It got like seven feet away, ten feet away, Terrentz slid down Yon like a lightning ballt covers home plate the second the ball was in the dirt and it makes a tag.
Speaker 4: Was Alon Reynolds?
Speaker 1: Was it Triolo might been Triolo. Honestly, I think might have been Triolo Triolos. They mentioned something, you know, realized Triolo and Baty same high school, did not know that. I think Trio might be a bit older. But that's both both Lake Travis guys. But Jared Triolo also a generational Mets killer.
Speaker 4: Like they were in high school, same time, two year difference.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, that's pretty good man. They were the same baseball team, pretty talented. But like we always joke about how like Jared Triollo was, like he was so pesky, and then like last year he kind of became my guy a little bit, like I started buying into it. And he's not played well this year, but he still shows up every single time against the Mets.
Speaker 4: And he's still good defense. Yeah, he loves playing this Mets team.
Speaker 2: But again, y'all on to enter a game like that in a situation where it was not not a good situation at all, but to get himself out of it in that situation and to make the big play and then to keep showing his emotion after it, like it's I don't know, I truthfully don't know if he's going to be in this bullpen next year. But yes, he has six years of team controlling three options, so I'm assuming he'll still be in the organization no matter. Watch, we're gonna have a lot more jeffani in the future. But he's I really like watching.
Speaker 1: The pitch and company. Yeah, how many left handed pitchers throw one hundred and one miles an hour?
Speaker 4: Why didn't he have a job yet then? Guy?
Speaker 1: Because because major League Baseball is being the old man crankiness of the celebrations, the antics. When you shove one on one, I think every team in baseball probably when they saw that, even though they had this data, probably went shit one oh one with options, he'll never play for another team. The Mets never have to get rid of him.
Speaker 4: I think it's also the fact that he does not know where the ball's going.
Speaker 2: Hundred and one is great, but it's when he was throwing those dirtballs and he threw three of them in a row, all right.
Speaker 1: That's just him being juice up. There were curve balls. He was trying to make him nasty. He had the adrenaline going. He's got to get that a little more under control. But I actually I don't think the control has been as bad as it's being let on.
Speaker 4: I think it's been really bad.
Speaker 1: No stop. I think he's missing spots by feet. But again, it doesn't matter. He's getting Chatman treatment. Just throw it down the middle.
Speaker 2: He's getting a lot of ground balls too. I also like that Mets social media's leaning into the Yon stuff. I think I think he either saw you like it you sent me inster Graham Rail because we're both unks of mister match is doing things and just yawning afterwards, Oh and trash. Yeah, like this is something that as we're doing right now. It's not a lot of excitement going on with this Mets team right now, which is funny because they're actually paying well winning baseball games. But he's he's kind of worth the price of admission.
Speaker 1: No, I can't wait to get into city Field and watch that guy pitch for the Mets, because I mean I bought a Jeffrey on Jersey. Once I saw that he had the options and the years of control, I was like, David CERTs is never letting this guy go. He will be on this Mets roster, forty man roster, as long as David Sterns still has this job. So if you hate Jeffrey on. That means you're rooting again the Mets, which means we'll actually rooting against David Stearns, which then means you're rooting against the Mets success. So just keep that in mind if you want, if you want Jeffrey on Gohan, it's actually because you don't want the Mets to win any games.
Speaker 5: I know this is a busy time of year for many of you, including AJ. When you're home, you need everything to get done fast with quality.
Speaker 6: Absolutely That's why Factor Meals are perfect for me. Ready in two minutes, healthy, pre made protein, all the things I like, vegetables, They're all mixed into one and it's quick, easy cleanup. Don boom, I'm full, Move on to the.
Speaker 5: Next task, No prep, no cleanup. Every week, you'll find over one hundred nutrient dense menu items to choose from and new options like salmon burgers, shredded pork, and much more. Plus add on Jill crave like pumpkin flavored cheesecake and protein shakes. Let's eat real. Head to Factor Meals dot com. Slash Foul fifty off and use code Foul five zero off to get fifty percent off and one free breakfast item per for one year, while supplies last until ten thirty one, twenty six. That's code foul fifty off at factor meals dot com. Foul fifty off factor meals dot com. See website for more details.
Speaker 2: Here's a good stat from sny Mets get back to Manaia Shaman. I have thrown thirteen pitch at least ninety four miles per hour since joining the rotation in mid June. All thirteen have come in the.
Speaker 4: Last two starts.
Speaker 1: Hell, yeah, let's go Shaan Mania.
Speaker 2: If n I did this a month earlier, do you think I think that with trade the one hundred, I think if Sean and Iyah pitched like he has the last two starts or I guess last three because in between one of them he kind of gave.
Speaker 1: Up some runs.
Speaker 4: But I still look nice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he still look nice. I how could you not be going after him. It's like, if you get this version of him, that price really isn't insane at all.
Speaker 2: No next year him being twenty mil fine, great, yeah, and it seems will be like cool, done something. We're really just going to be happy not to have to think about other things that we want to pull as we get to the next year's version of the Mets. Zach Thorton's going to be a big hot button issue as we get down the stretch this year, because.
Speaker 4: This was another start where I thought he was good.
Speaker 2: And the way that he fought through that rain delay, calling raindelay like right in the middle of an inning was like, I think, in the middle of an a bad technically too, was annoying. And on the other side of this game, carbon Leginski did not handle it well.
Speaker 4: Maginsky Maginsky.
Speaker 1: Damn, Yeah, there's no donn't the l's useless. I'm ignoring the L silon L Maginsky. Car He's also someone that he hadn't actually started the game in about three months. He made a big stink about when he got pushed to the bullpen for Jared Jones, who we also live up on Sunday, which is kind of funny here he's got an affinity for lighting up the really really talented Pirates pitchers.
Speaker 4: Not pupa Chandler Well.
Speaker 2: Crushed him wet and Jones Yeah, but then he seemed to this Rangelay didn't rely hit him well when he came back out for that third inning. Marcus sent me hitting missiles off here definitely definitely didn't handle the rain delay well, but we got all over him, and Thorton got through that rain delay well.
Speaker 4: The reason he only went five innings with.
Speaker 2: Sixty pitches because it just felt like they were trying to be careful with him. But that color, when he's just using that color and he's barren down the righties like that. The rest of this stuff I still think needs work. I thought it was one of the better sliders we've seen him so far. I also still want to see more for seemers. I need to see more changeups. A few he threw we're just so they were feet off the plate. But it's good, and I do I do caution about like what you just said, like breading him in pen for next year's rotation. I don't even think the Mets will go into next season doing that, But I do think he's going to be You go into next season where he's the first alternate.
Speaker 1: I think you go into next season if he's the five. That's okay. I really do the fact that he just doesn't walk anybody alone is very much worth a major league rotation spot. And again, I think there's gonna be a lot of people in the Mets World and Mets fans that are gonna think that Zach Thornton is on the same level as Christian Scott and Olan McLain because he's a young pitcher and the era is very low right now. And this is not to talk down about Zach Thornton. Don't put the h there is the ac it's more so like we're hoping that he's just Johnnie David Peterson of the last couple of years. Yeah, Johnnie dogg because John Nice was a dog. There's no doubt about that. David Peterson in terms of your the five every single year, and you're gonna give us some spurts where you are pitching at a really high level because like, that's truthfully what he is. That's what he's probably going to be expected to be. Don't put like any sort of frontline starter shine on him just yet. There's a lot of development still in his game. But I do love that he's getting these reps right now. This is a great time for him to learn these things, figure it out. There's no pressure. This is your spot for the rest of the season.
Speaker 2: Young Blood definitely another big development from this year. If you guys didn't we did our top ten Prospects on Saturday. A big thing is that he's jumped basically all the pitchers that are in the upper miners on that list, Like he jumped Jonah Toll this year, he jumped Jack Wenninger this year. Even still John at Santucci just got started that TRIPLEA. Will Watson just started making rehab starts back like he is. He's become the guy of the young controllable pitchers besides Scott and Nolan. McClain is going to continue to get chances. Again, he's above all of these guys. For me, just thinking about twenty twenty seven, I am curious how they how they view him going into a full regular season rotation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right now, right now, the guaranteed guys it is McLain, Scott, Imaniyah. I think Thornton will be there just because again with the amount of money that the Mets are gonna spend and need to spend next season, like and the free agent market besides Terrek School, I think is quite weak in terms of starting pitchers that the Mets will actually be able to get. I would love for them to get better. I would love better than Zach Thornton and that's not because he's bad. I would just want this rotation to be as good as it can. But this is something that we've talked about to off air with a bunch of different people. Every major league team is going to have spots of weakness. It is pretty much impossible to build a team that doesn't have that. Especially over the one sixty two guys are gonna get hurt. Depth is gonna be called into question. You're trying to build the best team possible. But a guy like Zach Thornton is such a good floor razer for this Mets team rather than a ceiling guy. Yeah, again, you need a full team and Zach. You can't take away from Zach Thornton and his first four the innings guy's got two five vra fantastic. He's been so effective just with that color specifically. And that doesn't mean there's no development left on Zach Thorton, of course not. He's he's thinking about how much he's developed already.
Speaker 2: Right and think about how again, I'm not saying again how easy it would be developed, But like when these other pitches do come together, at some point when you can better locate that fastball still has an adequate shape on it if a changeup ever comes and he winds up getting all of these weapons to get these righties out, like there is a worldhere. Zach Thornton can assent to being a three yes going in text seasons we think is a five sex but his story is not read and he's twenty four years old, and we're really really thrilled about in terms.
Speaker 4: Of good things that have happened.
Speaker 2: That's the theme this episode of the last few months that we can take us twenty twenty seven. Zach Thornon's a big, flashing, beautiful, great, amazing thing.
Speaker 1: And Daniel Duarte, this is a Daniel Duarte podcast. The guy keeps shoving he's so good. And again we talked about like the indie ball wins that the Mets have weirdly had with guys like from these weird leagues like Duarte again Mexican League. He had been in professional baseball before an affiliated ball and I think he's even made major league appearances before the Mets. But like Dwarte, came from the Mexican League. The Weisenberger guy. He was playing for the Geimer Weisenheimer as Gary was calling him. He was playing for like the Hagars Town, whatever they're called in the Independent League. We've talked about Pintaro like there's a bunch of guys, even finding Jared Young, who's turned into a really really nice piece. And if it wasn't for Pete Alonso having a massive date that I was really excited to start the countdown of how close their ops was. It was gonna be within like fifteen, which kind of layers. But Jared Young as a only play against right handed pitching, play first base, He's turned into a really really good player for this team.
Speaker 2: I also really like how glowingly the Booth has talked about Jared Young over the last few weeks. Specifically they did it. I remember Keith doing it this week in Cleveland and garyon Ronerd both doing it now on Sunday in Pittsburgh where they did paint it like it's it's a shame in this season a guy like Jared Young kind of going into a guy a little escapegoat that is being.
Speaker 4: And again it wasn't even him. He was like the third string Pilanzo replacement.
Speaker 2: He thought about it, but and he's case sadly by some Mets fans will still be compared to Pilonza because he's not Pilonzo. He's playing Plans's position, but he's He's such a resounding win for this season and someone you can go into next season again. I'm not banking on Jared Young to hit fourth no and play every single day, but for Jared Young to hit sixth or seventh against right handed pitchers and then to figure out what you're going to do there against lefties, or he just becomes a right handed guy off the bench if you aren't able to pull in a big first base that could play every single day like him with team control. Somebody just said with Tawarte, like these are looking for silver linings, wins and what's been a catastrophic, miserable season. Jared Young is such an unbelievably massive one, someone that looks like they're going to be fifteen to twenty percent better than the garbage at the plate against righty's for a few years to come.
Speaker 1: Now and then, of course we have viewing and bench. We know those guys aren't going anywhere. They had also great weekends. Ewing was making some really nice plays in center field, plays that looked really easy that I don't think many center fielders actually end up getting to love watching him play the outfield. Carson Bench. That catch where he heard his wrist was unbelievable. That was a fantastic catch with the way that the wall juts out and crashing into the wall. He continues to just keep getting hits all the time. I love that I'm seeing him now. It feels like and maybe you can get some stats on this, maybe for the next episode. I feel like we're starting to see A and B swing even more from Carson Bench.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: There was a three to one pitch today. I don't remember if from Jared Jones maybe early on the game or Dovall that he he took a daddy hack, a daddy hack, and I'm like, I love to see that, Like that's the spot where you should be going for the defenses there.
Speaker 2: So I don't know if it's a little bit messed with how Carson Bench had a little bit of different swing to start the season. But if you do look on his battracking page on Baseball savon so we'll show you is a distribution graph, and usually the way to see if there's a B swings that a player has inside of their arsenal is if you see like humps in different parts of the graph, or like a long line at the top and bench does have things that I'll try to split out this data for the next episode. It does look like he has a few different swings that he's ready to do, and it seems like that might be one of the new pillars of Mets player development because we saw that as a big thing with aj Ewing coming to the major leagues. I feel like they're gonna try and do that with our guy, Emilian Petre. Probably feel like Sammy Steffer is another one who like an A and B swing. He already has the A one, so maybe it's about finding the B one or maybe it's just going Daddy hacks all the time. It does feel like this is the philosophy that the Mets internal hitting development is working with and these players are taking to and is helping them be productive Weekend.
Speaker 1: Also for the underwhelming guys this year too, Bobachett, I've come to the conclusion that he is the most inconsistent baseball player I've ever watched, and I'm pretty confident that he's been like a near three hundred hitter in his career because he will have moments where he goes over fifteen, and then he'll have moments where he is thirteen for fifteen. He doesn't really do the whole like get a hit every game kind of thing. He's not a hitch streak guy in my opinion, because this weekend he had some crazy games. Of course, but then the five for five to end it, I'm like, oh yeah, that will boost your batting average, no matter what part of the season is, like twenty points.
Speaker 2: It boosted up eight points in one game when he's already played one hundred and seventeen baseball.
Speaker 1: It's crazy.
Speaker 2: And he got guys on base percentage over three hundred mark. That's we're looking at here for that's.
Speaker 1: Twenty twenty seven. Bo's gonna be here.
Speaker 4: I actually don't think so all.
Speaker 1: That'd be so amazing.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, please, I think I mean, he gave I don't remember who wrote the article, but he was giving an interview about you know those guys. You know, he's more saying done than us in terms of twenty twenty seventeen. I think this is a great chance, a very very very high chance out. But then, please, I would I would take ball opting back in at this point if I have to be honest.
Speaker 4: I think next not.
Speaker 1: Fifty million dollars or whatever his contract's gonna be. I know it's not our money, but I realize it was your money. Yeah, we can definitely spend that. I want that fifty million spent anywhere else.
Speaker 4: So then you go into next season and we'll talk about the other guy.
Speaker 2: Now, the one guy who didn't get it on the hip parade on Sunday is Brett Baity third basement?
Speaker 1: Then the fuck No, not Brett, He's he's our bench guy.
Speaker 4: Well, then who's the third basement?
Speaker 1: You don't want to should know. I'm gonna find you somebody. Hold on, let me look at let me look at who the free agents are.
Speaker 2: I said, you're gonna You're gonna be sorely. I think it's the whole reason why Bobache is going to opt out, because how bad that list is.
Speaker 4: You're about to pull up.
Speaker 1: Good good, But Paige, you know who's gonna be it? Jefferson Rojas.
Speaker 4: Yeah he might be.
Speaker 2: He actually might be the third basement season next year. Else, do you want to give Brett some credit?
Speaker 4: Again?
Speaker 2: I can't believe that every single person got a hit on Sunday except for him, but he made a big throw in one of the bad things that happened for someone who will be hearing twenty twenty seven on Friday night, really bailed out Devin Williams with a wonderful outfield assist and that was on that Jacob Gonzalez on a pinch at Dult like have been pitching double off the wall, gunned down to drive her front at second base.
Speaker 4: Bristol has that arm.
Speaker 2: He has looked better in the few starts he's gotten over the last few weeks in the outfield. I think that's something that are desperately going to continue to try to in the rest.
Speaker 4: Of the season, is get Brett Baby better in the outfield.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean they're gonna desperately try to get him better at anything possible. They're trying to extract it. Think it would be nice, but we can't yeah any sort of value out of him so that they can keep him on this team because next year is a big decision whether or not that you tender Brett Batty I think, I.
Speaker 2: Think, But that's also the difference between I think of Brett Baby and Mark Viento. So having this conversation in circles for four years. Yeah, and now we're at the point where all the people are like dollg just so when we're gonna non tender one of these.
Speaker 1: Guys, it's gonna be Mark Viento's I promise you, yeah.
Speaker 4: Probably see.
Speaker 2: He will have another chance when he comes back, though, But that's that's kind of something else to pull. I guess in a negative way that he's It's just hard. It's going to be really difficult to find his role on the team. But I still think he will maintain it.
Speaker 5: Science experiment for the one minute, we have to tell you about why we love Quint's electrolytes, including watermelon salt, raspberry salt. And I'm holding a citrus salt, just opened it and pour some powder into my water, shake it up, and AJ, why do you love it?
Speaker 6: I love Quints because after a long night out and a long day at the gym, a long walk in this Florida humidity, it tastes great and it gives me all the electrolytes I need. Why sugar free, stevia free, keto approve and taste sweet because of that delicious fermented rice.
Speaker 5: It does taste really good. I'm drinking it right now while we talking about it. It's also made in the USA, rigorously third party tested. Give your body what it really needs to stay hydrated. Go to quints dot com slash foul for free shipping on your order and three sixty five day returns. That's q u i ncee dot com slash fu l for free shipping and three sixty five day returns quints dot com slash foul. These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
Speaker 1: Shot Marcus Simeon again. I proclaimed him dead, and he has been playing really good baseball since I've said that. He goes on some streaks as well. The one thing I do want to bring up here, maybe put a bow on this whole Pittsburgh Pirates series before we go into our series preview for the Braves. The Mets are what one game under five hundred since Andy Green took over.
Speaker 2: Two I think two or three games on their fel okay eighteen and twenty.
Speaker 1: I believe it does make me very frustrated. It just stick with me, everybody, stick with me. It's gonna be a really convoluted way to get here. It makes me so frustrated, more so that the Mets held on to Mendoza for as long as they did. I think it is very very clear that whatever was going on with the Mets, there's a lot of fault to blame with Carlos Mendoza. This team has actively gotten worse since Carlos Mendoza has left, and they're playing better baseball. And this team was so bad with Carlos Mendoza, so so bad that even the Mets playing two or three games under five hundred baseball feels like they're playing some of the best baseball in Major League Baseball, which is an insane sentence to say. And I guess like technically these last six games they have been playing some of the best baseball in the league. But the fact that it was so bad under him, and it feels like, again the guys are really loose. It feels like everybody's like playing baseball. They still are not a very good team in the in the current standpoint, but that's how bad it was when Mendy was here that we think that this version of the Mets, like to the average person, like there's playing good baseball right here.
Speaker 2: And there is some degree to it where it's like it's not like it was necessarily his fault, but like we were kind of clamming for at a time when there was still a teeny tiny bit of a murmur of a heart beyond the season. Yeah, it was just that is the button that team's press, and we have.
Speaker 1: Seen it's worked for everybody.
Speaker 2: The two other teams who fired ahead of time rather than late having I mean, we'll see what happens with the Phillies next few months here, but the Boston Red Sox are whatever, if there's a word for more than inspired baseball, so that the Red Sox have done.
Speaker 1: I mean you had them ranked as your number two team in the league on your power regu They're the best team in the American League.
Speaker 2: I mean the devil magic right now, like they're the Mets two years ago, the Bluejays last, the Red Sox right.
Speaker 1: Now, and they're even better than both of those.
Speaker 2: And you still look at their line of every single lame like this, guys suck, but it just doesn't matter.
Speaker 4: They win baseball games.
Speaker 2: I also think there is something about and bo how comments about this after the game.
Speaker 4: I want to find it. He said, we have a lot of baseball in front of us. Not necessarily true.
Speaker 2: It's in everybody's best interest and desire to play hard, win games, find the best versions of themselves, and finish strong. And I do know we talked about a bit at the top that there has been this section of the Mets fan base, and I.
Speaker 4: Don't think you guys are wrong logically that.
Speaker 2: They're upset that this teams winning games because are hurting their tank and will almost undoubtedly ruin their draft pick for next season. Yes, when it seems like we're going to get a gift, possibly get a top three pick, get a new blue chip prospect and the system and probably be much better off for two years from now. But at the same time, I can never be really, like in my heart of hearts, mad about the Mets playing good baseball.
Speaker 1: This is no never never. I'm never gonna root against this team. We're gonna go to games still the rest of the year, and I'm going to be very much celebrating every time the Mets do something well.
Speaker 4: Shout Andrew. I'm at a party this weekend.
Speaker 2: He's in favor of the retistery chicken idea that was definitely the leader in the clubhouse right now for them that weren't meat up.
Speaker 1: I think we are due in August to do a little row Tissary chicken night.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: But at the same time, like this Mets season, I think was a real return to like some of these Mets seasons that we dealt with as kids and teenagers. I think about two thousand and five. I think about like twenty thirteen and fourteen, oh mark years, but those are even leaner than I think these years were. Like two thousand and one was like the first one was like, oh no, I mean mix years old?
Speaker 3: Was it?
Speaker 1: Seventeen? Was Collins last year? That that was tough?
Speaker 2: But that was just bad the whole way through. It wasn't It wasn't there were not this many interesting young players.
Speaker 1: Oh Okay, I understand what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: There's actual in my mind, and I don't think I think a lot.
Speaker 2: I think a lot of Mets fans are upset about the non tang game because they don't believe them about to say, but this team is monster building blocks.
Speaker 1: But I think so, like you, we talked about this outfield, the outfield set for six years, Mets do not have to think about anybody coming in to play the outfield for the next half a decade.
Speaker 2: And we very confidently have a starting pitcher who is going to be on the one two line, and another starting pitcher is probably a firm three with the ability to do more. And those guys are also going to be here five more years each. And that's those are four six spots in play, and then also under contract, we'll still have next year one of the five or so six speci shortstops in baseball, even as he continues to regress a top four the line up.
Speaker 1: Hither we have a catcher that's locked in. I know he plays dogshit defense behind there, but in terms about the plate, as long as we hit him nineties, an elite power hitting.
Speaker 2: Catcher and once so though so again at the same time people say the culture stuff's bullshit. Playing winning baseball's bullshit. Just get the pick and get out of the season. It would be I think more disastrous for the next few years of the Mets, which still might not be good. I won't tell you, won't lie to you and tell you they're I guarantee they're gonna be great. But there's just something about a team playing good baseball and like enjoying themselves. Scott and and McLain talked about in separate interviews how they really needed some energy and that God brought it to the club. Again, to your comment about Mendoza War, it's like something was lacking and the other thing, I'm gonna football's a little bit on the mind right now we're getting into August. Something like this happened three years ago, the last game of the season. It was I believe the Lions against the Texans and the vas some bullshit like that. But the Lions were locked in to get a number on overall pick. They wanted a number one overall picks. They were tanking hard. But over the last like seven weeks that season, they started playing good football for the first time in like almost the entire history of that franchise. And people were talking, Yeah, tw people were talking Dan Campbell and players about tanking. He's like, fuck this, Like it's just like, this is football. You guys are playing for their jobs, they're playing for their lives. You can't tell professional athletes to lose on purpose. And again, which you can do is trade your entire bullpen and hope that makes you lose games on accident, but he'd neither here nor there, and the Lions wound up winning their final game this season, getting the second pick. People were up in arms about it, but.
Speaker 1: They got lucky.
Speaker 2: The team that was drafting first, the Jacksonville Jaguars, they made the worst pick. They took Trayvon Walker, who's now become a very good player. But the Lions got their guy, Aiden Hudgerson at two. They built the culture and they've become one of the more fears in the bad season last year, but they've now become like a real franchise, real organization, real real ball club.
Speaker 4: That's kind of the hope for this Met's team.
Speaker 2: We keep talking about how there's not been in consistency, They've not been able to get over the hump team bare. They fucking had two straight playoff season history of the franchise, at least not too that I'll count. So you still need to build something sustainable. It's been the whole fucking point this year disaster. It doesn't feel like we're closer to that, But I just I can never be upset about watching this team enjoy playing baseball and playing it.
Speaker 1: Well, No, there's there definitely is if a culture aspect, people like to only bring up the culture when it fits their narrative. That's a very fun thing that Mets fans like to do, Like the culture of Francisco lindor being in the clubhouse fits their narrative. They can run with that. But then as soon as the Mets start playing too good of baseball in a season where the culture was a problem and the culture seems to be getting better crickets, nobody cares about that anymore.
Speaker 2: And even the last thing to talk about before we go to the Brave series, Jeff Passon has done so much media in the last ten days.
Speaker 1: A shocking amount of ESPN throwing them out there.
Speaker 4: I can be credit for doing it well. Passing is great on the camera. His podcast he's done this year has been great. Trying to Richard Staff for being a rather on it.
Speaker 2: But he did a show with Matt Barnes all the smoke baseball we didn't know existed, but he gave. They asked very specifically about the Wanso, the Francisco Lidoor feud. The fact has permeated regular culture so.
Speaker 1: Much that asking Matt Barnes Matt Barnes like what's coming on to the Francisco Lindor and thought Passing handled it really, really, really well, very diplomatically, where he was like, you know, the team and the players have all said they've never they've never forgot the words to use specifically, like they've never really admitted that there was a beef, but they all said they squashed it, so you could take that however you guys want to take that. But thought it was He then went on a die try about how it's fine, they just have to they don't have to be best friends, they don't have to be friends at all. You just have to disbeg clubhouses that have one World.
Speaker 2: Series that haven't been like super tight homies like that there, Jeter, you just gotta play ball together and you have to be cool, and they seem cool right now. And again, it's just funny this stuff keeps coming up.
Speaker 4: I liked. I really liked how Jeff Passon answered that question.
Speaker 1: No, I appreciate that because it really is, again so easy for the national media to just absolutely lay it on the Mets every single chance that they get, and they really don't. And that was a good time for Passing to honestly stir the pod even more. But good reporting, that's what journalism is supposed to be, not this fucking speculation nonsense. Instead tell you what's actually going on. And that's that's why Passing's in the circle of trust. We haven't talked about the circle of trust in a while. Passon's the leader of it.
Speaker 2: Circle trusts been going up and down a lot. We also lost Tim Healy, who was like our shining member of it.
Speaker 1: But shout out to him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, of course, politics broke up the Mets clubhouse last year. Whatever happened who again? We still don't you know what's going to happen with that in the off season. We're going to clear when we get there.
Speaker 1: Big question all the guys that the Mets got rid of this year. Surely their teams are crushing it this year, right, just a quick check in.
Speaker 2: Something that's funny is that well won those things. But also all the guys that we traded away. We got a top hundred prospect off the Cubs. Clay Holmes looked horrible in this Cub's day.
Speaker 1: Look really, every trade deadline acquisition was horrible.
Speaker 4: I mean, holmes velocity was down.
Speaker 2: He wasn't throwing the curve balls anymore, which might have been a Cubs idea. He didn't get a single swing and miss on his sweeper on Saturday night. Freddie Paul is going to make another start outside the chorus field. Still hope for the best for Freddy, thank you for He hasn't pitched again. Still, it feels like he's It feels like he's been a fucking week.
Speaker 4: I think that was Wednesday.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this feels like forever ago.
Speaker 4: It's been a long week. But it is interesting.
Speaker 2: I think Brasabon also, I mean, it wasn't necessarily his fault, but he gave up some runs in his first day.
Speaker 4: He came out and inherited the Runners. We know Brasubon loves that ship.
Speaker 1: But we've looked great for the Pirates.
Speaker 4: We've to look great for the Pirates. Diana was like, let's just take him back with.
Speaker 1: Us, the bounce back trade. That's what it is. You set them out on loan.
Speaker 2: He's not gonna make the playoffs anyway, who cares, But it's it's watching this game, watching this team. The rest of the season is definitely going to be a labor of love. But we're happy to do it with you, guys, or if you don't want to do it, we're happy to do it for you.
Speaker 1: No, this is a real Met fan check right now. What do you think about this team and watching it moving forward and again?
Speaker 2: Because I think so many Mets fans caught the fire between twenty twenty two and twenty twenty four and it was like Steve Cohen all this momentum one so though, oh my god, the Mets did at the Metro over the hump. And then now we're like comparing this to you know, two thousand and five and twenty ten, and you're like, these weres lean.
Speaker 1: Years, windows open and closed very quickly. Got to open this window again one more time.
Speaker 2: That's why it is nice sees a lot of these teams actually be very aggressive the trade deadline.
Speaker 4: But I think that's all I got.
Speaker 1: But time for us to do a little serious preview here. Of course, you know how much you guys love the series previews, We're not gonna skip one.
Speaker 4: As we go forward to the rest of the season.
Speaker 2: I was on Mark but against the Braves in Atlanta, and in Atlanta, no off days Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday off days going to be Thursday, back to seven and fifteen starts. Antha likes to do it late down there. Let everyone have the everyone have their drinks and food in the battery, and no day game get the way here. So Wednesday, Wednesday night, fuck Wednesday night when I have a late shift at NBC.
Speaker 4: We got to lay podcasts after that.
Speaker 2: So Monday night fun one here Christian Scott versus Bryce Elder asof I was gonna give the next one the ASoft Tuesday seven to fifteen. Nolan mcclainan versus Martin Perez, who like a cat so many lives, who will not leave this Brave's rotation. I think he's even defad by them this year. Now he's making it starts down the stretch and then Wednesday evening again Zach thor In for his Tyler Moley, who had a great, great Brave's debut, the one guy who actually had a great trade deadline debut, the.
Speaker 1: One who were like he's dead exactly, he's the one.
Speaker 2: But this Braves team just played one of I think the most fun three game series we've seen this whole season this weekend against the Yankees. There were multiple extra inning games, tight games.
Speaker 1: There was a box dispute where Chris Dale was so mad he was chirping the umpire guy. He got ejected as the last night's pitcher on Sunday before the game even started. It felt like playoff ball when they played the Yankees weekend. This Brave's team is humming right now too. Yeah, And if Ronald Cutney played for the Mets, there would be articles written about how lazy he is in right field.
Speaker 2: Got to talk about that for a second, I tweeted out, not even I didn't even call him lazy.
Speaker 4: I just says, see, okay, what's he doing?
Speaker 2: Because any game of the Braves are winning two nothing, and the ninth inning on Friday, ronaldy kuneya lollygag got the multiple balls and then he threw lollipops in to relay man. No extra bases were taken, but it was him really just you know, like sauntering around out there. And then I think he's been instructed too. I think he probably has too. I don't even think he has any functional needs at this point. And then when the Yankees hit their walk off sackfly rhyme m command after real nice walk from George Lombard.
Speaker 4: Really impressive first week for the kid.
Speaker 1: Rolly Cuney Junior took a big step and just weld one up the third base line, like what's going on right now? But yeah, the opinion pieces if he was playing for the Mets Yankees would be would be a big time right now. Yeah, which is kind of hilarious. It's nice that the Braves don't ever have to deal with any of the nonsense, it seems like, despite their ownership being awful.
Speaker 2: And the funny thing is too So we beat the Braves two out of three in City Field a few weeks ago, then they swept the Nationals for four, swept the Marlins for three, and then they just lost the series to the Yankees. So this this is big for the Braves to break their New York juju because even before that with US they beat the Worlds in the series. They went three out of four against the Padres, and they beat the Rangers in the series.
Speaker 1: Lucky for them, they won't have to face New York in the playoffs because they're not going to play the Yankees because they're not making the World Series and the Mets suck.
Speaker 2: So the last time the Braves lost the series against a team not from New York, was the first half when they lost against the Cardinals. Right before that they lost to the Mets. Holy shit, nout tied the Mets to two against the Mets.
Speaker 1: That's absolutely insane. Yeah, it's it's been a weird season. Mets Braves go figure the year. We think we have the Braves number. But hey, let's play spoiler again. That's kind of what we're doing. Let's keep winning baseball games. I don't care about the draft pick, as much as it would probably help this organization in the long run.
Speaker 2: No, I just I want to see some positive momentum going to next year. And I selfish, I just I would love to crush Bryce Elder of course, Yeah, because just just for the takes of knowing ball while this offense is rolling, please just let's get let's get one over on.
Speaker 1: Which means he is going to pitch a beautiful game tomorrow night.
Speaker 2: We'll see he does that sometimes. But we also got Frankie Peppers to close it out.
Speaker 1: I can't wait for his hot take.
Speaker 2: Yeah know, I love gets a nice five minutes end of the podcast. Whatever Frankie asks his nice element, Frankie adapting, growing, developing.
Speaker 4: Here comes Frankie.
Speaker 3: Gentlemen, this is Frankie Peppers hanging Dylan. It's a very polarizing team right now.
Speaker 1: Huh.
Speaker 3: You win a million to one, you don't score, and then you have a game like you did he on Sunday. It's almost like how my teeth are treating me right now. One moment, I can't feel my mouth at all. In the next moment, all of my teeth are attacking my gums. So the recovery process is on the up and up. Gentleman, I wish I had any sort of texture. There's no texture meaning to slop the past few days, gentlemen, So.
Speaker 1: Power low power mode you So the bitch frank was rolling my heart.
Speaker 3: Take is that texture is more important than food than you realize. And what's your favorite texture when you eat food? All right, gentlemen, take care. We'll be doing well. Let's go ment I'll talk to you soon.
Speaker 1: As a big, big protection I'm a big texture guy. I hate bananas, love the flavor, hate the texture.
Speaker 4: That's insane.
Speaker 1: They start off like firm and then it becomes loogie consistency as you start to chew on it. That is a disturbing texture. So yes, I agree with Frankie. Texture is one of the most important things in food, and the best texture on the planet is always crispy.
Speaker 4: It was funny. I'm so not a texture guy with food. I really don't care. I'm a taste a guy through and through. Give me taste, that was all it matters.
Speaker 2: I gotta share the worst food texture I've ever had, the one time where texture made me freak.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, give me that.
Speaker 2: It was two years ago, traveling in Thailand. Was my first night there, went to a night market. I was like, I want to eat the craziest thing I can find.
Speaker 1: Did you have ballute?
Speaker 4: I did not.
Speaker 1: I ripped grilled jellyfish with chili sauce. Absolutely by far, the worst texture of any food ever. It was texture to the point where it was like chewy but also like a tough bite thrip. Oh, so it was like and a little crunch at the beginning. Yeah, it was that was That was the one time.
Speaker 2: Texture really got a hold on me. But like favorite food texture, I do love a crispy but also like that when there's a crispy also like with a softer element is really nice.
Speaker 1: French fries are the best texture on the planet.
Speaker 2: Do you ever do like leftover pasta in the pan with like high heat oil.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, get a little crisp on the outside of the pasta.
Speaker 2: A little bit a little burnt that saying, like a red sauce with a little bit of meat and like get that right, you get that rick that crisp on it or you're not pay a guy, are you?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: I like I like when they do and they get that crispy ass rice on the bottom.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh that's called a.
Speaker 2: Nice get call there the culture the guys. But that's that's Those are some of my favorite food textures. We get like a crisp and like a soft together.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think I think we can agree that is probably the top tier. We did a tier list of food textures. That might be the third episode this week. Yeah, we'll see.
Speaker 4: We'll see where the season gets to. But if we have to do a tear list of food.
Speaker 1: But yeah, that's it. Thank you guys for listening, Thank you for watching. Make sure you're subscribe to mess Up over on YouTube. Big Shot to all the members who are getting access to this one early. If you're listening to us, Apple podcast, Spotify, Google drops a ring drops a review download and subscribe. You can follow James on social media at James Shianna. I'm draftnick Mark. We'll catch you guys all on the next one. Peace out past.
Speaker 4: It's called Mates.