Speaker 1: Wind Down with Jana Kramer and I'm Heart Radio Podcast.
Speaker 2: All Right, this week's adult education, We've got Lisa Moskovitz coming on. She is the CEO of New York Nutrition Group, found in twenty thirteen. She's the author of the Core three Healthy Eating Plan, a simple and scientific solution to finding your healthiest, happiest body. She is a diet neutral dietician who believes diets can be helpful for some and harmful for others. She believes in intuitive eating principles, but can also assist with healthy weight loss using evidence based research for certain individuals where weight loss is appropriate. Let's get her own. Hi, Hi, how are you?
Speaker 3: Dude? Okay? Now? After not?
Speaker 1: I have a newborn and she's just like not she has a cold, so she's not sleeping at all.
Speaker 3: So I feel like I'm just running on no sleep.
Speaker 1: And you know how sometimes you have more energy when you don't sleep somehow, like we have that adrenaline.
Speaker 3: That's my life lately.
Speaker 2: How old is your newborn?
Speaker 3: She's just three months. So I have two older kids.
Speaker 1: This is our third, and you know, we're always kind of a little bit more laid back with the third. But she's she's definitely a diva. Yeah, she's a drama queen.
Speaker 2: What are the ages that you have?
Speaker 3: So a twin six year old? Boys?
Speaker 2: Wow?
Speaker 3: And then and then Reagan who's three months.
Speaker 2: Oh it's so sweet. So I have three two? Can I ask how old you are? I'm thirty eight, you're thirty eight. Okay. I'm curious for you because I had mine right before my fortieth birthday. I mean, like my due date was my fortieth birthday, but I had him a couple of weeks before just because of a little some complications. But I'm curious, was this pregnancy harder for you? This go around.
Speaker 3: One hundred thousand percent? It was, Yeah.
Speaker 1: The I like, I was sick of hearing myself complain when people would say, because you know, everybody asks how are you feeling?
Speaker 2: Yeah, how are you feeling?
Speaker 1: How are you feeling? And I would just be like, pregnant, pregnant? But it was night and day. It was a one eighty. And my first pregnancy, which was a twin see by the way, crazy, I remember loving it. I was like joined the bump and the you know, everything was just great and rainbows and butterflies, and I was feeling and this one was. I was miserable, and it's almost like a depression. I was depressed, Yeah, for the entire time, Like chemically, it wasn't you know, obviously there's you. You sort of also know what you're getting into. You know what's to come, so you know, Okay, it's not like, Okay, once I'm done being pregnant, I'll be able to sleep and I'll be able to relax. It's like, no, It'll only get harder. But it wasn't even that. It was something hormonal chemical, So that's how I felt.
Speaker 3: What the same with you?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean same I had. I mean I didn't, I was. I was always sick with my first two, but this one it wasn't. Yes, I was sick with my third as well, but it was more. It was more again hormonally, where I've never I my postpartum was the worst it's ever been this go around. I mean I was. I mean, I'm still I'm ten months postpartum and I still am like battling to get my levels right and I'm constantly going in for like blood work and figuring out, Okay, why am I feeling this? And Yeah, but through that though, I feel like from my postpartum journey. This go around, I've really dug into the nutrition side of things because I'm like, Okay, you know, why am I so tired? Well, let's go to the gut. Let's or why am I anxious? R Let's see if there's gut stuff happening. And then I'm taking you know, food sensitivity tests, and you know, I found out so many things that I didn't even know that I was, you know, getting inflame from. So I feel like the gift of this last pregnancy gave me a lot more information about what's working for my body and what's not. And you know, finding out that you know, I can't have soy and you know, dairy and gluten and all those things. So it's like, you know, just trying to and then again balancing the hormones has been a thing, but it's it's just so interesting because a lot of it does go back to nutrition. And it's for me now too. I'm such a different mom than I was when I had my daughter, Like this is it pains me to say, but like I was giving her lucky charms, you know, and fruit loops and frosted flakes because that's what I grew up with from Michigan, and now I'm like I've had to have like really like hard talks with my ex husband because I'm like, please do not bring this into your house, like you do not know what, Like this is so bad and these color dies and like and it's the more that I've been informed, the more I was like, I'm like, oh my god, I was like poisoning my children with all this like awful things, but also my body too. I'm like downing cheese it, so I'm like, what was I doing? Like we're in.
Speaker 1: Survival mode, right, It's just anything that's around that we can eat at that time.
Speaker 3: It's understandable, and I don't. And I think it is hard in.
Speaker 1: The society because there's a lot of there's a lot of shaming with everything, but especially around parenthood and being a mom. And it's like either you're too strict with your children or you're not strict enough. Right, there's no like, no one can just be good enough. It's either you're being too restrictive and an almond mom now is the term, right, or you're letting your kids have whatever you want, And what's wrong with you? How could you put that in their body? How are responsible of you. So it's a really difficult, you know, dichotomous world that we live in with.
Speaker 2: Diet well, and I think it's something too where we had parent teacher conferences this past week and my kind of philosophy now is this where it's you know, when they have their games at their sports, you know, you're going to see the goldfish, You're going to see some of the snacks that we don't have in our house, right, And so a lot of times they're like, Mommy, why can't we have this? And I'm like, yeah, because that's just not but you can have this now, just know it's not coming into our house. So I've kind of and then at the parent teacher conferences, the teacher was like, oh my goodness. You know, he just gets so many skittles for being so good. And I'm like, okay, it's funny.
Speaker 1: They don't ask, right, Like they just give the children without asking the parents. It's okay, but that's something I noticed and we might say, oh, yeah, it's fine, but it's just weird not to be asked.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, I know. And she's like, I know that's probably not good. I was like, well, again, we don't have them in a house. But I'm also not going to be like, you know, Jac, you can't have like I don't want to be that but much because I'm like I do want balance. I'm like, I know they're going to get outside of the house, so let me at least control what I can get inside the house, you know for sure. And you know, also trying to be like pleased to the ex husband, like can we can we be aligned on some of these like and stuff. It's really really tough.
Speaker 1: Consistent messaging is hard, like you said, when our children are in so many different environments, with so many different authority figures, it's hard to have that clear, consistent message.
Speaker 3: But I would say at.
Speaker 1: The very least, if they're getting it from one person, you know, one solid person most of the time, then it will still have that impact and you know, hopefully they'll take it with them wherever they are.
Speaker 3: And what you're doing is also good.
Speaker 1: You're not saying it's off limits because you know if you did, they would go to their friend's house and they would then eat it anyway. And because we've said it's off limits are bad, they're.
Speaker 3: Going to want it even more.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I usually try to say, I'm curious like the wording, because usually I just say it's not the healthy choice. But I don't even know if if you're like to say healthy now, like I don't know what is like. It's just I'm like, I don't even know, like say this to my own child.
Speaker 3: I like to use the word, I think nutritious.
Speaker 2: Nutritious, Okay, that's the new word to use.
Speaker 3: That's okay to use.
Speaker 1: I think you know, this will give you more energy or better energy is good with children. So that's kind of the way that I phrase it.
Speaker 3: But to each its own.
Speaker 1: I never would come into anyone, even as a dietician. I would never say like, this is the best way to do it and this is how you should do it, because I just don't think that helps. And I think that's bs. I think we all have our different dynamics as parents, as adults, as kids, and I just think it's your choice, it's your house, it's your choice. But I certainly can give suggestions for that, and that's the way that I do it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, And I think too, it's I was just having I was just at my uh. I don't even know kind of doctors they are. They're it's invigorate health. But it's just when she does like my panel like blood panic, functional a doctor, integration doctor, Yeah, I integrat with Yeah. And we were kind of going because I had no idea that I had this thing called like EBV, and so it was flaring up and it was super high, and so we were kind of just talking about it. But then it led me into the kid talk where my daughter was diagnosed with dyslexia, And for me, I'm like, okay, so my verse is right, what are the foods that can help with this? What are some things that you know can be helpful or things you know? So again, it just seems to always go back to food. So I would say what is the or I'll ask like what is what are the foods that you think are the best for your body, just in for your overall health.
Speaker 1: Sure, So I wouldn't say there's one specific food or one group of food even that's the best for our body, because the reality is we are all very individual and we have to respect that bio individuality.
Speaker 3: But I would say, if I could sum.
Speaker 1: It up and keep it simple, all of our calories are coming from three places carbs, proteins, and that's that's it. Anything that you're eating, anything that has a calorie in it, it's going to have a combination or maybe one of the three or two of the three carb, protein, and fat. So when we look at it that way, what we want to be looking for is higher fiber carps, lean and plant proteins, and anti inflammatory fats. So now we have this wider umbrella, and then you can kind of take it down from there and start to look at the groups of foods that are high fiber carps. So that's fruits, vegetables, beans, whole grains, things like that that are giving our body fiber that are good for our gut health. And we know a lot of people gut health is a very big topic right now, and a lot of the reason is because we see that it's the.
Speaker 3: Center of our body.
Speaker 1: It's connected to all these different pathways anything from metabolism to immune health to mental health. So it's just these branches are so strong and prominent that we're just focusing on more than ever as healthcare industry, but especially as dieticians and nutritionists. So fiber, a lot of people spend so much money and time with probiotics and Probiotics are great because it's the good bacteria that we want in our intestines. We want them to be diverse, we want them to proliferate and continue to grow and multiply. But taking supplements and eating probiotic foods, we're not sure how much that does for our body. Because our stomach is very acidic. It's going to destroy most of what you're putting in your mouth. And they're just not regulated right. Supplements are not regulated. We don't know what you're getting in there. They can pretty much slap anything on there and say they can put sugar in a pill and tell you it's going to cure you know, cancer. That's how poorly regulated this supplement industry is. So fiber instead is looking at it from a ground up approach. It's basically getting right to the source of what's going to feed our good bacteria, regulate digestion, keep it running smoothly. And it also helps with blood sugar support, so keeping our blood sugar stable, which can also help with hormonal harmony.
Speaker 3: So there's so many.
Speaker 1: Things that just high fiber diet alone can do that it's always going to be the biggest recommendation from any dietician is eat more fiber, and mostly because Americans just don't consume enough.
Speaker 3: So that's number one.
Speaker 1: Number two is the lean plant proteins is also equally important, and I find it more challenging with some of my female clients and just people who are busy, because it takes time to prepare and buy good quality protein sources. It just does, and that for that reason, I often recommend protein bars, protein shakes.
Speaker 3: There's nothing wrong with those. You do.
Speaker 1: Some are a little better than others, and we can get into that if you want. But there's a ton of options out there to help fill in the gaps to make protein more accessible and for some even more affordable because it could be really expensive too getting all that protein. And then with fats, people shy away from it. But anti inflammatory fats so many benefits, especially important for fighting inflammation. And so what are the anti inflammatory fats. It's mostly I like to call it the Mediterranean style fats, right, so olive oil, extra virgin olive oil, avocado avocado oil, nuts, seeds, fish oil, MAGA three. So those are the that's kind of the larger I know that wasn't a very specific answer, but that's the larger answer that anyone listening this would.
Speaker 3: Apply to because after that it's just individual.
Speaker 2: When I look at things, because I do a lot of shopping at whole foods. When it comes to the meats and the proteins and then some of my cereals and grains, I get there. But when it says organic high or it's the organic high ex expressed sunflower oil like it, So it's the is that because I also heard now sunflower oil isn't good for you? So but if it's the high whatever something. If there's like another word in between the express sunflower oil in that, is that still bad or alia it's like o l EI something like yeah olaic yeah, Okay.
Speaker 1: So when it comes to oils, the biggest thing, off the bat is how we're using it and the temperature we're cooking with it. If we're cooking with it, the biggest concern is the smoke point.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 1: So it depends on what you're using it for, how often you're using it, that's going to determine the best oil to use.
Speaker 3: So there is no bad oil, right.
Speaker 1: A lot of people like to demonize the canola oil and the corn oil and these just oils that are more mass produced, that are of course cheaper to you know, put in our food supply, cheaper to combai, and they can have more omega six, which is also a very big topic right now, a little controversial, you know, is it really bad for us? Some people believe omega six is the worst thing ever as far as inflammation goes.
Speaker 3: Not that we can avoid omega.
Speaker 1: Six, but by eating more omega three, we can have a more optimal ratio of three to six that can help keep inflammation down.
Speaker 3: So that's the school thought there.
Speaker 1: When it comes to cooking, I usually just recommend especially higher heat cooking, so this could be even roasting vegetables. If you're going to turn the oven over four hundred degrees fahrenheit. I usually stop at four hundred myself, but some people like to turn it higher or using an air fryer. Then I would recommend avocado oil. It's just a higher smoke point. You can also use coconut oil, but coconut oil is gonna taste funny and a lot of foods I don't really like to use it, And also it has saturate fat. So for people that have high cholesterol yourself to be careful of coconut oil, even though it's considered a very healthy oil for a lot of reasons. It's anti viral, anti microbial, so I would use more avocado oil. Extra virgin olive oil is still the king of the plant oils. It's still the king. It rains supreme the extra virgin olive oil, and an extra virgin just means that it's more pure and clean, whereas regular oil olive oil can be you know, denatured and adult. You know, it could just have more I don't like to use our contaminants, but it can have a little bit more cooking contaminants in it.
Speaker 3: You're not getting the pure olive oil.
Speaker 1: So extra version olive oil I would use for lower heat cooking, sauteg salad dressings. You can also use flax oil. You're not gonna cook with flax oil. You're gonna you could put that in your salad dressings though. So it's just it depends. And I always joke, I'm like, if you ask me a nutrition question, I'm gonna tell you it depends.
Speaker 3: But that's just the reality.
Speaker 1: Like, so I wouldn't say sunflower oil and safflower any of those are bad.
Speaker 3: It just depends how you're using it. You want to make sure that if you're.
Speaker 1: Cooking with it and you see that it's smoking, that you realize, like you recognize, Okay, I took it a little too far. I cooked too long or too high of a temperature, and that's where it's We want to be careful because of the it can become carcinogenic cancer causing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what is one of your least favorite diet fads out there?
Speaker 3: Oof?
Speaker 1: You know, I'm really not a fan of Some of the biggest ones are still still going strong, which is the Keto. I'm really not a fan of the Keto diet. I think it glorifies and promotes, you know, eating a lot of fatty meats, which is okay in moderation, but to the extent that Keto promotes it, I just don't like it. I don't think it's balanced. I think it's very low fiber, which I mentioned is very important. I don't love intermittent fasting.
Speaker 3: I don't especially for my.
Speaker 1: Female clients who are in those reproductive years let's say adults, you know, between the age of eighteen and basically forty five, when we're still menstruating and we still have cycles our bodies are so sensitive. We don't realize how sensitive we are. Every month, just if you have a normal period, which not everyone does, but if you have a normal cycle, that just in a month, we can go through so many different changes. And I love that whole area of looking at women's hormones. And I'm a very big believer that a lot of the issues we complain about as women, especially postparts them, have so much to do with hormone fluctuations, and getting that figured out is really key for everything from again weight management, to mental health, to immune support to gut health. So I just think there's so many links there as well. But that's probably not my favorite because then a lot of people, especially people who don't like eating breakfast, they're like, oh, I never liked eating breakfast, so I'll just call it intermittent fasting and I'll skip breakfast. But then they end up often eating more later in the day. Those are my clients who snack more, struggle more with portions, struggle more with digestion. Maybe they're more constipated because their body isn't getting a regular intake of food to push things through their body, and constipation isn't good for a lot of reasons. Again, a full other topic for a whole other day. But that's a whole other thing you have to be aware of and a lot of people struggle with. So those are probably my two least favorite, and it's it's probably also because of the most popular, and people ask me about it all.
Speaker 3: The time and they're just tempted. They're tempted to go down that route.
Speaker 2: It's tough because there's so when you see all the fads, they're like, okay, like the internet fasting. I'm like, all right, I'm gonna I'm gonna try this, you know, And I thought I felt good. But also during that kind of doing the blood work, I found out it was hypoglycemic. So I'm like, I can't not have something.
Speaker 3: And if you work out in the morning, it's not good for you.
Speaker 2: So yes, right, so what so yeah, what do I do? Because wait, you just said don't work out in the morning, because that's all the only time I work out.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, So I was saying, and you can work out whenever, whenever you have energy.
Speaker 3: I usually work out the day at the time of the day you have the most energy.
Speaker 1: I was saying, if you're intermittent fasting and you're doing the sixteen eight where you only eat between out eight hours, which is the most popular twelve to eight pm, you're skipping breakfast. But if you're working out in the morning, the most important meal of the day is right after you work out. That is the most if you're an active person, right after you work out is when our body is most not only it's the most effective time to take everything you're eating and distribute it where it needs to go in terms of muscle preservation, in terms of like the Gin repletion, in terms of replenishing electrolytes.
Speaker 3: That's the prime time.
Speaker 1: But and if you don't eat right away, if you kind of let it go, which some people do, they're not hungry after they work out, or maybe they're working out to burn calories and lose weight and they feel like eating is counterproductive. So they're feeling that lower appetite effect from working out right away and they're just running with that, and unfortunately, your hunger builds. Then you're gonna get hungrier later in the day. Then you're gonna end up eating more. So my favorite phrase is eat a little bit more now, or you're gonna eat a lot more later. And that's what I tell anyone that struggles with nighttime eating or restricting during the day. So bottom line, first thing in the morning, if you work out, you should be eating something right after.
Speaker 3: Because your body needs it.
Speaker 1: It needs that for recovery and repair or else your work that's an't a productive.
Speaker 2: So usually I do my Usually I do a smoothie afterwards, I have my protein powder. I put a banana and a scoop of peanut butter in it.
Speaker 3: Perfect. So ideally it depends, right, It depends. There's my word.
Speaker 2: It depends, because I feel like you need to write a book and just have it beat. It depends, and that's I love that.
Speaker 1: Actually, you just gave me a really good idea, so I'll make sure to credit you for it. So after workout, the most important nutrients are carbs and protein. Those are the two things we need.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because you're right, y yeah yeah, yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: Protein for muscle recovery and carbs for the glycogen repletion because our body is using gluecoaster in the workout. But also the carbs help carry the protein to our muscle.
Speaker 3: Even if you eat a little bit of that before, it still will help after.
Speaker 1: So I don't want to say like, oh my god, someone tell people eat before the workout, and then they kind of wait an hour or two and then they have lunch and they might be saying, oh my god, I'm doing it all wrong.
Speaker 3: And I've been, you know, with.
Speaker 1: Just like all that working out was for nothing, which is not true. But I I still always push the eat within thirty two an hour at most if you can after workout, whatever you can get. And for a lot of people, a smoothie is the most accessible comedient. Maybe they have a smoothie bar in their gym, maybe they only have a few minutes before they have to shower and hop on a meeting.
Speaker 3: So I love smoothies. I think they're a great hack.
Speaker 1: And I even like to say add a vegetable in there too, especially that bag of spinach we all have that's been sitting in the fridge for forties that's about to wild and be thrown in the garbage.
Speaker 3: Just throw it into the smoothie. Even rockli and cauliflower. It might sound horrible when.
Speaker 2: You add it to a smooth It sounds so bad.
Speaker 1: It sounds so bad that I promise you, I promise you when you add to a smoothing with a good tasting protein powder and some ice.
Speaker 3: You're not tasting it. You're not tasting it, and it's filling you up.
Speaker 1: It's getting so much staying power from the fiber you won't even realize it's there.
Speaker 2: I will always try anything.
Speaker 1: Frozen cauliflower is what I would recommend those because it doubles as ice.
Speaker 3: So it's like it's ice.
Speaker 2: Good idea. I'm writing on this down.
Speaker 1: Yep, yep. And then you get the fighter, get the anti accidents, you get so you're getting.
Speaker 2: All of the benefits, you get the parts, you get all of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you get the gap, you get them. Bloating just come for but no, so that's that's good. But carbs and protein are ideal. Anything after that. And look, if you're like I'm just I just go to a yoga class or I do a light jog or you know, I just kind of work out for my mental health, than anything you eat after it is going to be helpful.
Speaker 3: But if you're somebody that has really specific.
Speaker 1: I want to gain muscle, I want to improve my performance, then I would get more, you know, with them. I would sort of push towards a ratio of carb to protein. We usually say like two to one, So if you're doing thirty grams of carbs, it's fifteen grams of protein. Because ideal for most people, for real athletes, professional athletes, we do four to one, forty grams of carbs to ten grams of protein because they really need that.
Speaker 2: Is that the macro counting thing? Yes, because that's a big thing too. I have a girlfriend that does does that count macros? And it's for me. It's always hard because whenever I was doing the macros, my fat was always really high. Yeah, because I'm like, I like the salmon, and I do eggs, and I do peanut butter and I do you know, so it's my my The fat was always super high. But I feel like I and then I had a tough time I getting the carbs into because I'm I don't like bread. I don't. The only time I really got carbs and was fruit, which I know not to eat those alone, right, You're supposed to eat it with something.
Speaker 1: It's better for digestion and blood sugar. But you know, and I would challenge, like, if you were in a session right now and you were one of my clients, I would probably challenge you and say, is it because you don't like carbs? Or is because part of that the ideas that we get yeah, that carbs are bad or carbs are unhealthy or you know.
Speaker 2: So I always kind of challenge that, So give me a carb. So let's challenge r I know what, because it's bread. It makes me so bloated. So now, but if you put me in Italy and I had the fattest stomach of my entire life, I bread three times a.
Speaker 3: Day, isn't that something everyone says that.
Speaker 2: Like breakfast, lunch, and dinner, I had facaca and and that's like and then I'm like, you know what, Okay, I'm gonna come home and I'm gonna try some bread when I get home from the honeymoon. It's so bloated, so painful. And then my my test too said not to have not to have gluten, so okay.
Speaker 1: And that's also a thing, by the way, So some people there is such a thing as a non celiac as Celiac is the diagnosis the disease where it's an autumn new condition where a body literally attacks itself if it detects even the slightest bit of gluten. So it's really dangerous. But outside of that, it's people go and they get it and they're like, Okay, I don't have celiac, but there is such a thing as gluten non celia gluten sensitivity, and it's real, and I have clients who have full body reactions vomiting everything.
Speaker 2: Wow, that's definitely does that. I mean, I'll have a piece of bread when look, if I'm cheating, I'm just gonna cheat the whole day, you know what I mean, Like if.
Speaker 3: It's people are subtle and my I'm having a.
Speaker 2: Glass of wine, like I'm just going for all the bad things.
Speaker 1: That's the case of the efforts or like screw f it, we had this one piece or this one glass, I might as well game going.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let me fill me about the French fries, the everything. But no, I mean, so I'll go like every meal, I have a sweet potato that's carbs.
Speaker 3: Right, sweet potatoes are carbs. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So like I'll have those that did for dinner with a protein and then a vegetable is usually how I round out, and that's writing. I've got like my granola, which is the carbs, and then my usually i'll add in fruit somewhere in there.
Speaker 1: And for people who are confused too, like how do we label a food as carb, protein, and fat, what I have to say is wherever most of the calories are coming from, that's how we categorize it. So for example, nuts, nuts like almonds, have fat, and they have protein, and they also have carbs because they have fiber fibers a carp But most of the calories are coming from fat in almonds, which is why we consider it more of a fat source than a protein source. You get protein from it, but you're getting way more fat from it, and fat is not a bad thing. And the fact that you said you're die it always runs a little high in the fat category. I believe that higher fat diets people do tend to feel better, They feel more stable energy levels, and a lot of that could be related to more stable blood sugar patterns that we detect. So I promote higher fat diets, especially when that fat is sourced for more of the Mediterranean type. That's the anti inflammatory fats, which is nuts, seeds, olive oil, avocado, hummus, fish oil, things like that.
Speaker 2: Don't you dare tell me? It depends on this next one that is the worst thing that I can put into my body two bodies.
Speaker 3: Something that's expired or spoiled.
Speaker 1: Though, if you drop sandwich on the street and a car came and ran it.
Speaker 3: Over and I grew up on it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, one of the things that was the worst thing to put in your body that they've since made illegal in the state.
Speaker 2: No, not was, don't tell me was right?
Speaker 1: It was? It was trans fat and that was a big fat note. You know, I would just say that there is a lie, will say this. There's still a lot in our food supply. That's very suspect, that's very dubious that you know, why do we, like you said before, why do we need the coloring agents and the dyes and the red forty and the glyco state and the which is like normally in round up, which is like wead killer, and like why do we need all these things? And the answer unfortunately, and I'm not like one of those people that's like, screw the government, but a lot of times and screw big, big companies. But a lot of times it is coming down to the to the bottom line, to the dollar signs for these big companies where we get our food from, and they're putting things in our food that's healthier for their bank accounts, but unfortunately very unhealthy for our bodies.
Speaker 3: And we are all.
Speaker 1: Victims of that. And the best I can do is a couple of things. Educate people on things to look out for, to be aware of, but also not fear monger and not scare people, and not overworry everybody either, because our bodies can tolerate a little bit of that. It's not like you're going to eat one oreo that has all these preservatives in it and you're gonna die, God forbid.
Speaker 3: Like that's not how this works. It's the bigger picture.
Speaker 1: How much of your diet is coming from these ultra processed food not processed because a slice of spreaded green bread is processed, right. Canned beans, which are very are still processed. So most of our food is being processed a little bit. We're talking about ultra ultra processed food where it's really broken down and run through different you know, equipment, and we're taking out the fiber, we're taking out the nutrients, we're adding preservatives, we're adding sugar, adding all these chemicals.
Speaker 3: That's the kind of food we're talking about.
Speaker 1: Things that would come out of a vending machine, things that would come out of a vending machine, things that would come out of a you know, not all box food, but a lot of box food, a lot of snack foods, a lot of stuff that's eye level in the grocery store for our children. And that is not a coincidence, that's intentional. They keep a lot of that less nutritious, more sugar laden foods lower in the grocery store so that kids can see it and they will annoy the crap at and video until you buy it for them. So those are the type of ultra process which we want to be cautious of. Like you said before, we decide what comes in the house, and our kids can decide how much they eat. We can let them still decide how much importions, but we can decide what. So ultimately, if you can get most of your food from fresh, whole foods and go to a farmer's market and buy organic and buy wild fish and buy things out of a package and out of a box, then amazing. But it's okay to occasionally say, you know what, I had no time today, I'm exhausted, we didn't sleep well, I'm sick this and that I'm just gonna, you know, whip up this box of mac and cheese and throw some chicken nuggets in the oven.
Speaker 3: And that's what I'm giving.
Speaker 1: My kids, or you know what, even yourself, you know, even if that's which how you have to eat once in a while.
Speaker 2: I've had that many times with the kids when I was single.
Speaker 3: Mom in it one hundred percent. I do it all the time. I've taken my kids.
Speaker 1: People are shock I've taken my kids to McDonald's before they do have McDonald's.
Speaker 3: They love McDonald's. How dare I do that? What is wrong with me?
Speaker 1: Because I know they are going to see that food and find the only thing I'm strict about with my kids, just because it's like so unnecessary is soda.
Speaker 3: And even juice.
Speaker 1: That's it, Yeah, soda and juice, because there's really nothing redeeming in their juice. Yes, they're getting some vidamin sea, but soda zero redeeming.
Speaker 2: Bald, What is redeeming in a McDonald's. I need to know from a nutraitionalist.
Speaker 3: Protein at least from chicken nuggets, and is it even real meat?
Speaker 1: Who knows? But you know what, in my head, I'm gonna tell myself. We have no time and we have to drive for two hours. That is signing they're getting some protein.
Speaker 3: It comes with apples.
Speaker 1: They eat the apples, and I do with my kids. I give them both, you know, give your kids and give ourselves. The way we talk to our kids is how we should talk to ourselves.
Speaker 3: With food.
Speaker 1: You can have the chocolate and the candy and the ice cream, but it can't replace the fruit and the vegetables and the whole grains and the protein. So we can have both. It's just and when you give kind of both options. I do fine that, especially with my kids. Even with myself. I'll eat both. You know, if I make things allowed and give myself permission to eat certain things, I will crave salads just as.
Speaker 3: Much as I crave ice cream. You know you will.
Speaker 1: Your body will want to eat healthy when you don't make it a requirement. When it's not like if you're not eating healthy, you're the worst person in the world. We don't attach it to moral virtual and make ourselves feel like a good or bad person based on what we eat. So that's just how I see it, and that's from my own experience being a dietitian.
Speaker 3: For fifteen years.
Speaker 1: My empirical evidence, my anecdotal evidence shows me that when we demonize foods or we say things are bad, it backfires. And I just see that from working with clients one on one for so long it never works that way.
Speaker 2: Are you taking new clients? I am yes, okay, so how can our listeners or is it only New York based?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: So then the one good thing that came out of the pandemic for my practice was that we were able to access people virtually and telehealth was covered through insurance. So I have a large GERP practice. We have twenty five dietitians. We take health insurance. Health insurance typically covers one hundred percent because it's considered a preventative service, so a lot of our clients see us for virtually nothing or a small cope, and we can see clients in different states around the country. Some states are a little strict with license laws, but I have at least one or two dieticians that have licenses in almost every state in the country, and there are castaates that don't require it, so we can basically serve everyone. I've again a large group practice. We do one on one counseling meal planning. Sometimes people come to us just for the accountability. Sometimes people come to us just to hear they're not crazy. To get rid of the food noise that like they just that circulates, that infects us and makes it hard to just listen to our body. And I always say, the number one reason you're struggling with your weight, or you feel like you're out of control, you feel like you're overeating, it's because of the noise.
Speaker 3: It's because of either you're.
Speaker 1: Restricting too much or you have you're listening too much to outside sources and it's made you disconnected and not trusting your own innate ques.
Speaker 2: So I love that so much. Okay, And then one thing, just because I love I love a good supplement. Is there one supplement that is your go to, that your that's your favorite, that you would recommend.
Speaker 1: I'm very into magnesium these days. I do believe that it's well. The belief is that it's depleted in our soil. So even if we're eating magnesium rich foods avocado, nuts, spinach, chocolate, dark chocolate, we're not getting as much magnesium and we're not being exposed and absorbing as much.
Speaker 3: As we used to. And magnesium.
Speaker 1: It's primarily for nerve and muscle function, but we also see that it's so helpful for hormonal health, for blood sugar support, mental health, sleep, So it ends up being one of my top recommendations. I also will tell people, you know what a good probiotic. It can help you know, it's not going to hurt.
Speaker 3: Put it that way.
Speaker 1: It can be a little bit of an insurance policy, and same with a multi vitamin. It's like an insurance policy. You're not getting a lot of anything, so you don't have to risk worry about toxicity, but it's going to fill in some of the gaps, like an insurance policy in case you're missing something.
Speaker 3: In case something happens, you have that as a backup plan.
Speaker 1: So I always say a good multi vitamin, maybe with methylated methyl foliate, so we know that we're getting that foliate it it's more absorbable in the body.
Speaker 3: I do like a few brands.
Speaker 1: I like Thorn, like Peering CAPSULEA, I like Yep, Garden of Life, I like New Chapter. So I usually recommend those are my top go tos. Maybe a good probiotic just in case, but focus more on a high fiber diet. And magnesium is just a favorite.
Speaker 2: I just ordered triple mag the other day because I've been having this like weird eye twitch and my guy was like, get some, get some magnesium.
Speaker 3: It's good for.
Speaker 1: Eye twitching, stress management, and migraines and headaches. So it just there's so many benefits to taking it, and you can take and I would just say always be careful, always consult with a doctor or dietician before taking anything new to make sure there's all interactions. But you could take three hundred, four hundred milligrams a day of magnesium. It's not toxic, and it really people feel so much better on it.
Speaker 3: So I'm a big fan.
Speaker 2: Love that. All right, Well, thank you so much for coming on. This was very informative all around.
Speaker 3: Very good. Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Lisa. I appreciate you, of course. All Right, bye,