Speaker 1: The tech world is going nuts over a new chat GPT feature that can edit images like never before. Facebook is bringing back the Friends Feed. A security expert falls for a scam and he's not the only one. Plus your tech questions answered? What's going on on rich dmiro And this is Rich on Tech. This is the show where I talk about the tech stuff I think you should know about. It's also the place where I answer your questions about technology. I believe that tech should be interesting, useful, and fun. Let's open up those phone lines at triple eight Rich one oh one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Give me a call if you have a question about technology. Email is also open. Just go to richon tech dot tv and hit contact. We've got some great guests this week. Colin Walkee, a cybersecurity and data privacy expert, will join us to explain what twenty three in mes bankruptcy means for your genetic data, plus what you can do to protect your privacy and Later in the show, Mark Vina is a CEO and principal analyst at Smart Tech Research. He's going to share why he ditched the iPhone Yes to switch to the Galaxy S twenty five Ultra, and he's been using the iPhone for a very long time. Well, speaking of a very long time, I did something this week that I have not done in a really long time. I wrote a letter and sent it through the post office. Now I probably sent one hundred and fifty emails this week, but a letter that does not happen very often. I took pen to paper and I sat there at a desk and I actually used my horrific handwriting to write a letter to my dad. I was staying at a hotel and they had this inviting desk. It was an old school desk, and it had one of those nice writing mats, you know, the kind that you like the pen kind of sinks into it a little bit as you write, and they had the letter letterhead all laid out there with an envelope, and I said, you know what, I am going to write a letter. We were staying at a place called the fest Parker Inn, which my dad is a big fan of fest Parker. Now it's a little bit before my time, but as I understand, he was a very famous actor back in the day. And I know you're probably laughing at me saying rich. Come on, we know who fest Parker is. But you know that was a little bit before my time. And so I said, I got to write a letter to my dad on Fest Parker letterhead, tell him how the inn still had all the inklings of Fest Parker lingering in the hallways, and of course telling about our weekend we spent up in Wine Country for my wife's birthday. And then I went to the post office the tiny little town we were in called Losa Livos. I stood in line and I bought a stamp. And by the way, that stamp was seventy three cents. Now I know why people don't write letters as much, because that is expensive. But I got the stamp, I put it on the letter, I sent it out, and I still haven't heard from my dad if he got it, but I hope he did. I'm curious how long it takes to get a letter these days. Anyway, it was kind of fun. And you know, me as someone who loves tech, but I think I've realized something about myself. I also love low tech, and I also love how tech helps us unlock things in our world. So as much as I love technology, it's just kind of fun to go back to the times when we were not connected in a bazillion different ways. Now, the other lesson I have this week is that tech is only as secure as the people using it, namely us. So let me tell you about a guy who knows security like This guy has been on our show, Troy Hunt. He runs a website called Have I Been Poned? That's pwned dot com. You basically pop in your email address, it'll tell you all the places your information has gotten hacked and is out there in the world. He also teaches people how to avoid scams. That's what he talked about on our very show. And guess what he got phished this week. If you're not familiar with what phishing is, it's when you get one of those emails and it says, hey, click here, your account has been compromised. Click there, You type in your name your password, and you realize shortly after, oh no, what did I just do?
Speaker 2: I just handed over my information to the bad guys.
Speaker 1: So he got an email that looked like it was from Mailchimp, which is his newsletter provider. He said his account was suspended because of a spam complaint. He clicked the link, he entered his credentials and even the one time passcode. So we even had his account protected with that two factor authentication, and he realized instantly it was a fake site. The hackers immediately went to work. They took his entire email list sixteen thousand plus addresses, they exported it, and of course those are probably going to be used to spam those folks. He realized what he did was wrong immediately, but the damage was already done and the red flag he mentioned. He detailed all of this in his blog post about it. His password manager which he was using, so he had a good password, he had two factor authentication, but as a human, he bypassed all of those those privacy and protections. His password manager did not auto fill the website, but he ignored it. He just did it himself. He copied and pasted his password into there. Why he said, jet Lag, You know, all this stuff can't beat the human error that we bring to the table.
Speaker 2: And that's what happened with him.
Speaker 1: Just as I sat down to write my newsletter yesterday, I got an email from Microsoft saying, hey, we noticed some suspicious login activity on your account. Click here to confirm it. I said, suspicious log in activity what are you talking about? Microsoft? And they wanted me to click that link that took me to this area that would let me check to see the recent logins on my account.
Speaker 2: And I said, no, not so fast. I'm not going to that page.
Speaker 1: So I googled the Microsoft Account Suspicious login page, which is account dot live dot com slash activity. I went there directly, I logged in and I said, we want to confirm this is you, and I confirmed it was me, and sure enough, I look at that page and guess what. I see a laundry list of bogus logins from all over the world. And I pasted this into my newsletter this week. United Kingdom, South Africa, Brazil, Columbia, Ukraine, France, Pakistan, Cutter, Venezuela. No, these are not stamps on my passport. These are the places that were trying to log into my Microsoft account all weekend long. They didn't get in because I had two factor authentication enabled on my account, so I did change my login. I guess somehow my password was compromised somewhere along the way. But again, I'm not the only one. So many people and Troy, by the way, now, I didn't fall for it, but Troy did, He's not the only one. According to the FTC twenty twenty four, so I record twelve point five billion dollars in scam losses. That's up two point five billion from the year before. One in three people who reported scams said they lost money. Remember the guy we had on last week, Colin said he fell victim to one of those tech scams. Scams that start online cost US three billion dollars, more than phone calls, more than texts, more than emails combined. The most money per person phone scams median loss fifteen hundred. Biggest overall losses bank transfers, followed by crypto Yes, people are transferring money or having money transferred out of their bank accounts. This is happening all the time. Investment scams are the worst. Seventy nine percent of people targeted loss money nine thousand dollars median loss there. Job scams. How many times have you gotten those job scams to your text? And you say who falls for these things? I get them every single day. Hey, we have a job opportunity for you. Losses there jump from ninety million to over five hundred million in the past four years. So you're talking people fall for these scams all the time, younger people. This is the thing, There is a disconnect. Younger people fall for scams more often, according to the FTC, but seniors lose the most money when they fall to the scams. Why is that seniors have the most to lose. They've saved up money their entire lives, or at least some of them have. Young people fall for these scams. People think young people don't fall for this stuff. Yes they do. It's the young people and the old people, the people in the middle. You know, they've kind of you know, they're the people that are a little bit more aware of this stuff. They don't fall for it as often. Now, imagine this. You've got a super secure app, a messaging app. It's end to end ENCRYPTID. You think you're doing the right thing. It's recommended by privacy privacy experts. Yes, I'm talking about Signal. You think that's safe and secure, Well it is unless you add the wrong person to the group chat. How many times have you texted someone quickly responded to a text quickly and you realize, oh no, that's the wrong person. We've all done it. We're human again, we are all human, but not when the stakes are this high. You heard the story. I don't have to go over it. The government officials using Signal reportedly for war planning. They added a journalist accidentally to the group. Now I get it. We've all done this. We've added accidental people to a group text, we've applied to a group text, we've added people to a group email that maybe shouldn't be on there. So when you think about this Signal app, it is very secure. In fact, most security experts recommend that you use Signal if you want the most secure messaging. It's one of only two apps that I know that end to end encrypt messages by default. The other is WhatsApp. Now, WhatsApp brings a laundry list of issues with it because it's owned by Meta Right, and that has its whole issues with privacy and security. But Signal, this is an independent app, and there was no hacking here, There's no breach. Someone put in a bad contact. Now here's the thing. This is not supposed to be on government devices. They don't allow Signal. But again, think about you at your work. How many regulations and rules do you have at your work about what you can use and what you can't use Oh we want you to use teams, but you probably text folks at your work using I message, Oh we want you to use Google Drive. Well, maybe you uploaded something to Dropbox and shared a link. We are human and this is where the mistakes happen, human error. So be careful, whether it's phishing, whether it's scams, whether it's military level messaging. Technology can only go so far to protect us. The weakest link isn't always the software. Most of the time it is us, So stay skeptical, double check everything, use a password manager, and if something fills off even for a second, you have to slow down, take a breath, double check, don't click, make sure what you're doing is the right thing. That is how we get taken in this day and age. I get emails every day from folks saying I got hacked on Facebook. Ninety nine percent of the time it is some sort of mistake they made on their account. They fell for something, they click something. Be careful, all right? Coming up Facebook brings back the friend feed and your calls At triple eight Rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. You are listening to Rich on Tech Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich Demiro here hanging out with you talking technology at Triple A Rich one O one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two four to one zero one. The website is richon tech dot TV. You can go there for the show notes. This is episode one hundred and fifteen. You can get links to anything I talk about right there. And if you're not signed up for my newsletter, go ahead pop in your email address. It comes out every weekend filled with all kinds of tech tips and tricks and reviews and the stories I do on TV. Let's go to Susan in Santa Monica. Susan, you're on with Rich.
Speaker 3: I Rich, thank you, and you are wonderful. And the woman that answers the phone, she's absolutely wonderful too.
Speaker 2: Thank you. It's Kim and she is awesome, and so is Bobo. Wonderful. We've got a wonderful crew here.
Speaker 3: You certainly do.
Speaker 2: What can I help you with?
Speaker 3: Okay, So I have an elderly friend, quite elderly. He'd like to get the he wants the computer. I'd like to get it at costco. It has to have a good customer service on the phone, because nobody's available. He doesn't want anybody to help him. It's got to be really easy. He's never used a computer, he's got no email, doesn't want it, no financials on there. He just wants to be able to get on the internet like podcasts, research, whatever. Money's not an issue. But and he hates his iPhone. It's way too much for him. And he doesn't want the iPhone to be talking to the computer. Exfinity is his internet provider.
Speaker 1: Okay, well I was going to recommend I think the best customer service is Apple for sure.
Speaker 2: Does he not want a MacBook?
Speaker 3: Well, I mean he's not going to be talking to his phone.
Speaker 1: It does, okay, so you can make sure it doesn't. But yes it does. You know, there are some synergies there, but you can turn those off, so if you don't want that to happen, you don't need it to happen. But as he gets a little bit better with the computer, he may enjoy that. But I think that the beauty of Apple is that he can bring it in to the Apple store if he if he ever needs help, and they will walk him through whatever.
Speaker 3: Can them.
Speaker 1: Oh absolutely, you can call them too, So they've got great customer service.
Speaker 2: Great.
Speaker 3: Customers call them for the iPhone, Oh won't they're not very good?
Speaker 1: Well, I mean they're the best, so I mean other than I mean, after that, it's going to fall off pretty quickly. I mean there are some other you know, manufacturers like Lenovo that are known for having good customer service as well, but they're definitely not going to be as good as Apple. So I would say, look, I think when you go to Costco, they only stock a few computers, so I would steer towards the MacBook Air. I think that's going to be the absolute cream of the crop for him. The thing about the MacBook Air is it's going to last for him ten years, so he's not gonna have to worry about a new computer for a long time.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: If he gets another computer, write down these specs. But I would recommend any computer there that you know, if you if you see the laptops there, does.
Speaker 2: He need a laptop?
Speaker 3: Yeah, a laptop all right?
Speaker 1: So if he needs a laptop, I would say, you know, they only stock a few of him. Stay away from the gaming laptops. He does not need that. But I would say an Intel Core I five or an AMD rise in five, So those are the Those are the processors that you want. Then you want sixteen gigs of memory, that's the RAM, and then you want for the hard drive at least a five twelve a one terabyte would be the best. And then graphics I wouldn't really worry about. If he's just doing you know, web searches and stuff like that, integrated graphics are going to be just fine. So and of course you want you know, the Windows. The latest Windows is Windows eleven. I think most of the computers come with that at this point. But that's I I'd stick towards the Apple MacBook Air for sure. I think that's gonna be his best choice. After that, I would just look at one of the computers there the you know that they sell, and I think they're all gonna be a great value. And usually at costco you get a little bit more for your money than you would anywhere else. But I think when it comes to calling tech support, you know, you got to stick with the big brands. So I think, you know, Dell has good tech support. I do like as US as well. Uh, those are the main companies in Lenovo, Like I mentioned, so anyone that's doing business PCs like a Dell or a Lenovo. You know you're gonna get pretty good customer support because that's part of their game. Thanks for the call, Susan. Hopefully he finds a nice computer he likes.
Speaker 4: There.
Speaker 1: Let me tell you about Facebook before we go to break here. Facebook is bringing back the friends only feed. This is how it all started, and now they're realizing people are sick of all the nonsense on Facebook that they're encountering on a daily basis, all the influencers, the brands, the AI driven slop. So now they're going to add this new friends to to the Facebook app, and this will be a dedicated feed with posts only from friends and family. That means you can see their photos, their videos, their birthdays, their friends requests. This is rolling out right now. This is going to replace the old tab that showed your friend requests. That'll still be there somewhere else, but it'll be a little bit more hidden than before. So I tried finding this on my Facebook app. It's not there just yet, but if you tap the little friends right now, it just shows your friend requests. Soon that will show a feed of just stuff from your friends. You know what it's all about. Engagement. People are kind of getting sick of all this nonsense that's populating their feeds. So if they can make social media feel social again, that I think will be a good thing because people want that. We want more of our friends in our lives, less of this nonsense from AI, which, by the way, I've been sharing a ton of because shat GBT is doing this great new thing with the photos. I will tell you about that when we come back. Eight eight to eight rich one oh one eight eight seven four to two, four to one zero one. More of your calls right here on rich on Tech right after this, Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich Demiro here hanging out with you, talking technology at triple eight rich one oh one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two, four one zero one. The website for the show Richontech dot TV. Get a lot of emails every week. Uh, deb from Agora Hills Rights in. My son is planning to get his twelve year old daughter a phone through Verizon, probably an iPhone. I remember you telling callers not to fall for the free phone deals and calling them a ripoff because of the thirty six month contracts. He's wondering what you recommend for a cheap iPhone if that even exists, and what's the best way to add her to his Verizon plan. She doesn't need the latest and greatest. He's also considering just buying a phone out right to avoid all the sales pitches and hassles preteens yikes, yikes, is right for twelve year old. Now here's my guidance on those deals, the free phone deals. Number One, they're not free. You're beholden to that carrier for the next thirty six months because you're basically, while you're not signing a contract, you're financing that phone, and by them giving you that phone for free, they're giving you the equivalent in a credit over the next thirty six months. So let's say that the phone is six hundred dollars. They'll take that divided by thirty six months. You'll get the phone for free up front, but basically you are getting the thirty six months divided by the six or the six hundred divided by the thirty six months, and so they'll charge you for that, and then they'll give you a credit for that. So yes, you are getting it for free. But here's the thing, you're sticking with that carrier and I have nothing against Verizon or any other carrier, and my guidance on this always stays the same if you do not plan on leaving your carrier, If you're going to stick with Verizon for the next three years, anyway, it's not a bad deal. You're just paying a little bit more for your service. Because what I would recommend to your son is to buy the iPhone sixteen E outright for six hundred bucks and then go to something like Visible, which charges twenty five dollars a month to forty five for the phone and for unlimited service. So that would be, if you do the math, much cheaper than probably adding the twelve year old to the Verizon plan. But it's also what's easy. It's also what you already have. Most people don't want to deal with having two different cell phone services, two different bills, all that stuff. But if you want to save the most money, the easiest way is just buy the phone outright and get an mv and O. Whether it's Mint Mobile, whether it is Visible, those are two good mv and o's that will save you. Mv and o's Mobile Virtual Network Operator Visible runs on the Verizon network, and Mint Mobile is actually owned by T Mobile and it runs on the T Mobile network. So again, Dev, just you know, do what's best for your situation. I have nothing against those deals, They're just not a free phone. You can't walk away the next day and with that free phone. Eighty eight Rich one oh one eight eight eight seven four to two four to one zero one.
Speaker 2: Emma in San Bernardino, you're on with Rich.
Speaker 5: I wish. I am going through a family emergency. I am trying to book a lass manpula to Wahaka, and I was wondering what search engines do you recommend. I mean, I've been looking for a day or so and then they go up to go down, obviously, but I looked at what was it called my Trip, and it seems too good.
Speaker 6: To be true.
Speaker 1: It probably is to be too good to be true. I've not heard of that website my Trip, Yes, I've not heard of that one. So the only place that I look for fares is Google Flights. So that is the absolute best way to look for flights. If you are right up against date of a flight, you're gonna be paying a lot no matter what. There is no such thing as a discounted fare when it comes to right up against the time of the flight. So the best way to do this a couple of things. If you have miles, that could be the best way to buy the flight. So a website like points yeah dot com if you maybe have a credit card with Points, or you can even see there's two websites I recommend points dot com and point dot me. And they may have some paid services. You might be able to get a flight a search for free. But the beauty of those is that they figure out ways of using your miles in ways that you might not think of. So I know you said you had to go to a certain destination. You may find that the miles on the main airline. Let's say that Jet blueflies there. You may find that on sorry, let's say Delta. You have your miles with Delta, but yet Blue also flies there. But maybe you can transfer your miles into Jet Blue using your credit card. So those websites will help you unearth those sorts of things that you may not think of yourself.
Speaker 2: So first off, I check that.
Speaker 1: The second thing I would check is if this is sort of a bereavement fair, you may be able to call the airline directly and ask them if they offer that may not be much cheaper, but you might get you know, like some airlines may offer up to ten percent off, so you might be able to figure that out by calling the airline directly. But what I would do is, I think your best bet right now is going to be finding the cheapest data fly and the cheapest combination of places to fly from. So on Google Flights, which is flights dot Google dot com. Instead of choosing a specific airport, like, for instance, you're in San Bernardino, I would type in is Ontario close to there? I would think so right, so I would put like Ontario, or or I would put Los Angeles right, and instead of choosing LAX, choose the city of Los Angeles, and that will choose all of the airports nearby. Actually it's not choosing Ontario, so I guess they don't consider that. So let's say let's just type in Ontario O nta Rio Ontario, California. Okay, So if you choose Ontario, California, that will choose Ontario airport and also LAX, which is going to give you a much wider swath. But I would even open it up further to Burbank as well. So now you've got three airports that you're looking for flights from. And then the city that you said, what was the city, Wahakah, So you put that in as your destination and see if there's any airports that are nearby. And then also the thing you want to do is just look one way at a time, So choose each flight one way at a time instead of that round trip, and that will help you sort of come up with the cheapest possible option. And I will tell you my experience, fares jump up seven days before you have to fly. And the reason for that is because business travelers have money to burn, and that's where the airlines really make their money. They don't make it on the leisure travelers that are booking, you know, sixty ninety one hundred and eighty days in advance. They know those people are going to book because they're booking for their kids, they're booking for spring break, they're booking when they have vacation. Where airlines really make their money is on that last minute travel, and so they know seven days before. When you work for a big company, you don't care what that airfare is because you've got to get to that business meeting. You've got to get to that event. You've got to get to that conference, whatever it is. They know they've got you, and so that is what I recommend. I book airfares all day, every day, and believe me, at any given moment, I am searching for I've got my tracked fares on let's see right now, I've got one, two, three, four tracked fares and I watch those prices go up down around all over the place. Thanks for the call, Emma. Hopefully you can find a flight that fits your chat gbt. This week, you might have noticed people are tweeting and sharing on social media all kinds of images from chat GBT. Chat Ebt did a major upgrade to their image generation tool, which is now built right into chat ebt. You can access chat gibt by going to chat dot com. By the way, they opened it up for free and paid users, but people started using this so much it was melting the servers at chatbt and they had to limit it to just paid users. Now thankfully, I'm a paid user and I have been using the heck out of this. I absolutely love it. So they used to have this image generation tool called Dolly three, but now they are replacing that with just this default image generation inside chat gibt, so in the regular chat you can just say, generate me an image that looks like this or whatever you want. It's more lifelike, it has logos, you can make transparent backgrounds. The text, for the first time ever, is readable. So it used to be that AI had a real problem with generating text. This time it is perfect every single time. And the other thing you can do is upload an image and ask it to modify that image in any style you want. So a lot of people are doing this Jibli style. This is like a Japanese animation art house. So people were generating images like that and they're amazing. I mean, it's quite incredible. And of course, yes, there's this whole debate over AI and copyrighted images and images in the style of things and how artists are going to fare because now chat gbt can make such great images and it's all very much a concern, And yes, people will be losing jobs. Entry level jobs in generation of images will be lost because of this, because you no longer need to know how to use Canva or even Photoshop to make an amazing image. And so yeah, this changes the dynamic of our world. But it's incredible. It's amazing, and I think you shall play with it because you can't hide from this stuff. It is happening, it is changing, and we have to adapt. And I do feel sorry for the artists that have made their living making images like this, because now you can literally, in plain text, generate something that is quite incredible. And I know because I was doing it all weekend. So take an image, upload it and say make this in the style of whatever you want a muppet. You can turn yourself into a muppet. Yes, that's what I did this weekend. You can turn well, I mean on chat ebt and become a muppet. I mean, you could really have fun. I said, make make a an old timey newspaper poster style advertising my newsletter. It did that and it gets everything really really good. You can turn any image into a Dolly Renaissance portrait. Whatever you can think of, any famous artist, it will make an image in that style.
Speaker 2: It is quite incredible.
Speaker 1: Anyway, if you're on the free chatchibt, you gotta wait a bit until the paid people have their turn, but eventually it'll make its way to you. Eight eight eight rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two, four to one zero one. My name is Rich d'miro. You are listening to Rich on Tech. Welcome to rich Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich Demiro here hanging out with you talking technology at triple eight Rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. This is the show where I talk about the tech stuff I think you should know about. It's also the place where I answer your questions about technology. Phone lines are open, website also open Richontech dot TV. Hit contact if you'd like to email me. We'll get some of your emails and calls on as well. Let's go to Richard in Bell, California.
Speaker 7: Yes, I got all those apps installed on all my devices that let you know when the phone is charged up to night percent or drains down to twenty percent. The problem is those things go off at three in the morning and wipe me up, you know, because the device is drained down.
Speaker 1: Is it really sound like my house? My wife gives me issues every day. She's like, there's so many things going off in the middle of the night. I'm like, yeah, that's all the gadgets I'm testing. Can't can't silence them all?
Speaker 7: Is it necessary to you know, not charge up to one hundred percent. They say it damages the battery, and why can't they make the phones where we could just leave it plugged in all the time while we're at home.
Speaker 1: Well, a lot of people do. And so Richard, what do you have an iPhone or an Android?
Speaker 7: I got an Android and some tablets and some a lot of old phones I use.
Speaker 2: Well, here here's my guidance on this.
Speaker 1: So I mean, you know, look, if you're keeping your phone for seven years, yeah, you got to think about the battery, right, But I think most of the modern phones that we have, the batteries they're good, and yes, charging and decharging and you know, draining the battery definitely has an effect on the phone. But now both iPhone and Android natively. And I think you can ditch the apps that you have. By the way, Richard, I think you can uninstall those because that's a nuisance. You don't need to wake up, you don't need to disrupt your sleep in the middle of the night to unplug your phone. Now, I test every phone in the world. I leave them plugged in, I charge them up. Yes, it does have a bit of an impact on the battery life. So if you're worried and you're trying to keep your phone for a very long time, I would be concerned. But if you have an iPhone or a Samsung, they have battery optimization and health features built right into the phone. You probably never even noticed. But if you go into the iPhone, look for battery and then tap go into settings battery and then tap charging, and you'll see there's a charge limit, so you can do eighty eighty five, ninety ninety five or one hundred, and your iPhone software will actually recommend a charge limit for you. And so, for instance, mine is saying, based on your iPhone habits, a charge limit of ninety percent is recommended to help preserve your battery and so I can tap that and my phone will automatically optimize the battery charging on its own, So you can do that and just leave that there, okay, and if you need more, you can always just override that at any time. If you're on Samsung, if you go into your settings, Settings and then battery, you will notice they also have a section labeled battery protection. Now this is on the latest software, which may or may not be on your phone, but it is rolling out to some of the older devices. But if you tap that and tap battery protection, turn it on, you've got basic battery protection. When your battery is charged to one hundred percent, charging will stop until the battery drops down to ninety five percent and we'll start charging again. So that way your battery is not constantly being charged all day long at one hundred percent. It'll wait until it drops down, then it'll trigger again to charge. Then you've got adaptive stop charging at eighty percent while you're asleep, and switch to basic before you wake. Sleep time is estimated used on your phone is estimated based on your phone usage patterns, and then you've got the maximum protection, which is your battery will stop charging when it reaches eighty percent. So my advice in general is if you're a person that swaps your phone out every three years, you probably don't have to worry about the battery and how you're charging it. It's probably going to be fine for those three years. If you're keeping it for a very long time, then yes, I would go into some of these settings and be more aware of how you charge your phone and how you're charging it. If you don't have access to these battery optimization features in your software. Then I would say you probably want to charge your phone up, maybe up to one hundred percent, and then let it get down to about twenty five percent. Don't ride it all the way to zero before you charge it up again. Really, from what I understand, batteries when they get down to under twenty percent, that's when it really strains them. And so if you're going down, if you're going up to one hundred and down to zero every single time, that's putting a lot of strain on your battery. And so what I'd recommend is that eighty that twenty to eighty percent is the sweet spot for today's modern batteries. That's where you kind of want to keep your phone, and you can use that software built into your devices Richard to help make that happen.
Speaker 2: But good question.
Speaker 1: But if yeah, if you're exchanging your phone all the time, trading it in, not giving it to a family member, when you're done, sure, ride the heck out of the battery.
Speaker 2: You'll be just fine.
Speaker 1: By the way, if you have let me get this piece of news here. If you have Spectrum TV, which I know a lot of folks do, they are rebundling cable. This is so interesting. They just keep adding streaming services to the mix. So if you are a spec Trum TV Select subscriber, you now have access to Peacock at no extra charge. So you're getting Peacock Premium. Now, that's interesting. It's Peacock Premium, but it says it's the ADS supported. So let me see what that means. Peacock plans, because I have Peacock. Mine is not I thought it was premium was the one? Oh okay, well this is a this is a funny way to name something. Peacock Premium still has ADS, but Peacock Premium plus say that three times.
Speaker 2: Fast does not have ads.
Speaker 1: So Peacock Premium is eight bucks a month, but you're getting that for free now. If you have Spectrum TV, this is happening right now, available immediately, and this is an addition to all the other streaming services they're giving you Max Disney plus, ESPN plus, Paramount plus Vix and the Tennis channel. I know, Bobo, you're excited about the tennis channel. Oh no, Venus and Serena aren't planned anymore.
Speaker 2: So it's kind of you're over it. You're done, You're done. Watching.
Speaker 1: I know people were into tennis last week. They had that big tournament in Indian Wells. I know people were excited about that.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 1: And I used to play tennis as a kid, so I do. I do have a soft spot for tennis. I know there's a big war, you know between the pickleball lovers and the tennis lovers. Why because they're converting tennis courts into pickleball courts and the tennis people hate that. Oh, don't send me the angry emails. I'm not converting your courts anyway. Available right now, So if you have Spectrum TV Select, you now have Peacock Premium eight eight eight rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. More rich on Tech right after this. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich Demiro here hanging out with you talking technology at Triple eight Rich one oh one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. I hope you're having a great day. The website for the show is Richontech dot tv. If you're just finding me for the first time, I know we're recently on WOAR in New York City. Thanks for finding us. I'm getting the emails from you folks, and I absolutely love the fact that you're finding us and enjoying the show. It makes my day when I get an email that says, hey, Rich, I like what you're doing because it's very validating. We all need to be validated in this world, right, and so my validation comes from your emails.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much.
Speaker 1: Let's go to Let's go to Ace, Ace and pear Blossom.
Speaker 6: Rich.
Speaker 8: I like your show, dude, Thank you.
Speaker 6: And I'm a longtime listener back to Jeff Levy and Leo Laporte, and I think you're the best replacement so far.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, well thank you.
Speaker 6: You know, I got really a big problem. I'm an old senior seventy eight years old on low income Social Security, and I live alone, and I don't have good vision anymore. I've use the magnifier all the time, which really is a pain in the button. And today when I went to go on Amazon, I found up my cash was full, so I had to go empty the cash. That was a big pain. And then when I came back to Amazon, they went, oh, hey, you need to sign in again. And when I signed in again, well, you need to go and get this secret number from your Yahoo email. So when I go to my Yahoo email to get the secret number, I'm signed out of Yahoo too now and I'm signed out of my Gmail and Gmail, which I'm trying to do all morning. When they got rid of the HTML easy fast Gmail, they screwed everybody that our old people on dial up ISP. It takes me a fast way to get into the Gmail. Now. My Gmail account is two hours of reload, reload, sit and wait. It took me seven days one time.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, seven days. So you might as well send a letter.
Speaker 6: Well, yeah, I mean it makes it. And all the time, I can't get onto Amazon to buy my food. I can't drive anywhere. I got to get most of my food from Amazon.
Speaker 2: What kind of dial up? Are you on?
Speaker 6: The cheapest one out there?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: Man, I mean that's yeah, that's that's rough because it's slow. What are they charge for dial up these days?
Speaker 6: It's like around one hundred bucks a month.
Speaker 1: A hundred year, one hundred bucks a year something like that. Okay, I was gonna say, a hundred bucks a month. You might as well switch. Do you not have access to faster internet in your area?
Speaker 2: For that?
Speaker 6: I kind of like having this line, Okay, you know, it's a lot clearer when you talk to people. And I used to call talk radio a lot and you need a landline to get through clearly.
Speaker 2: And you sound great.
Speaker 6: For years and I have grandsons, and.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you do sound good. So this is the landline. Yeah, yeah, I don't even know where Pear Blossom is, but it sounds like in the middle of nowhere.
Speaker 6: It's on the way to Las Vegas. It's out by Little Rock.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, I don't know where that is either. We're not talking Arkansas.
Speaker 6: Well, there's it's cool, there's no crime. We have a weather window here. There's hardly any hell lying around at night.
Speaker 2: Oh my, no helicopters. He's off the eight.
Speaker 9: I'm looking at going between Palm del Lancaster on the way to the fifteen.
Speaker 1: Between between Little Rock and Lano Lano with two l's and then Black Butte Airfield.
Speaker 6: I know it's not you have an airfield out there. It's like a little glider airport.
Speaker 1: I know you pronounced it Butte not but uh, we were just talking last night. My kids fall asleep, there's a helicopter over the house.
Speaker 2: We love, you know.
Speaker 1: We live in La Proper and my kids are like helicopters all night every night.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is I go.
Speaker 1: I I remember when I moved to La going to USC that's the first time I heard a helicopter. I mean, I was like, this is this is the reality of living in a big city. I said, do you want to live in the middle of nowhere where there's more you know, no one around you? I don't know, I mean, pick your poison anyway. To answer your question, Ace, You're right, So a Gmail got rid of what's called the basic HTML view right in January. So this was a couple of months ago. Uh, and so it does slow down things because what's happening on Gmail is they're loading a whole bunch of stuff. So I think what you can do to try to make that a little bit easier on your connection is I would recommend that you probably want to download if you can. I mean, I don't know if you can even download an app on dial up. But what what about using on your computer something like Outlook or thunder or you know, Apple Mail built into a to an Apple computer or Thunderbird from Mozilla just to get you know, just to get your email. It'll it'll die, It'll get the email quicker, it'll pull it from the server and put it, you know, at least put on your computer. So I think that's probably number one what you want to do. Number two, you might want to go into your settings on Gmail and just see what you can do to you know, kind of lessen the load on the internet, because it sounds like there's a lot going on. It's trying to load a lot of things, and I think maybe having you know, the view on Gmail optimized a bit more for a slower connection might help. So you might want to you know, there's maybe turn on compact view inside Gmail, and also maybe try a different browser. So maybe the problem is downloading any of this stuff on a slow connection is going to be tricky. So I think that's what you're up against. I mean, I think that the dial up service is really tricky because not a lot of things are optimized for dial up, and even people that live in rural areas now with the addition of Starlink and all these satellite connectivity services that are getting better, you know, the speeds are just getting faster everywhere. So it's a tough thing. But ace I think you can. I think you can figure it out. I really do. I think you got to try to switch to an email client and that way your emails are downloaded all day instead of just when you try to log on. Or I would just try to optimize the view inside Gmail and there might even be a Chrome extension that can kind of simplify Gmail or maybe bring back that HTML basic view. But yeah, Google removed that in January because they said that most people. I think they said back then that like not a lot of people were using it, like they had some sort of number they gave that said, you know, there's only a handful of people. I think they mentioned you by name, and they said there was only like one or two people using it. Great question, Ace, Thanks for the call today. I do appreciate out there in a pair, Blossom. Do we have time for another question before the break?
Speaker 2: One more question?
Speaker 1: Okay, let's see, let's go to Leslie and Coda Dekasa, California.
Speaker 2: Leslie, you're on with rich Leslie. Hey, what's up? Welcome?
Speaker 10: Oh?
Speaker 11: Thanks, Actually driving the USC right now, and yes, the helicopters are still overhead all right.
Speaker 1: Well, hey, I don't know what they're doing, but they're doing something. What can I help you?
Speaker 6: With.
Speaker 11: My question is related to cell phones and international travel. It's been a minute since I've been anywhere internationally, and we're taking the family to Europe this summer.
Speaker 1: Okay, congratulations, work Thanks, Okay, things work automatically.
Speaker 11: Do we need to plan, prepare all? Verizon, et cetera.
Speaker 1: You're reading my mind, Leslie. This is actually the story that I'm doing for KTLA this week. So I just did my story on this. We're shooting it this week and we're going to air it. But because so many people are asking me, I guess Europe is very popular. But here's the deal. So here are my uh, here's all of my steps for if you're going overseas. Number one easiest option, keep your current plan. So most of the service providers like AT and T, Verizon, T Mobile, they will charge you a daily rate so you can keep your same number and your data plan. AT and T twelve bucks a day, Verizon ten dollars a day. Many of the T Mobile plans actually include international roaming, but you can pay for faster speeds. I think it's like five bucks a day. So that's number one. Call your carrier and ask what's included on your plan. So sometimes if you have an expensive plan, Verizon might give you a travel past day every month, so if you haven't traveled in the last year, you may have twelve days banked up, so call them first. That's number one. So if you don't have free and your plan might include free international roaming, like if you're on T Mobile, so that's number one. Even if you're on a secondary carrier like a virtual carrier visible Mint Mobile, they also have international options. They used to, not a lot of them have added that. So the second thing to consider is what's called an eSIM. This is temporary wireless service that you buy from an app and you activate it right on your phone. And you said you had a combination of iPhones. iPhone has had the eSIM for many years now, so your phone should be compatible. Of course, you want to go on Apple's website, pop in your model number and eSIM and see if it has an eSIM.
Speaker 2: I believe it's iPhone eleven and.
Speaker 1: Up, but don't quote me on that, but that is an app like erlo ai r A l O. You go on the app, you buy the eSIM and you can activate it right from your phone. That's very cost effective because it's gonna be a lot cheaper than your carrier. There's even an eSIM from a company called Gigsky, which I tested. They give you a hundred megabytes for free. You're not gonna get more than a minute in another country using one hundred megabytes, But keep in mind eSIMs are usually data only, so when you leave the US, make sure you turn on Wi Fi calling and texting if you're using anything other than your main carrier. Turn off roaming, of course, to avoid those unexpected charges.
Speaker 2: Now, if you just.
Speaker 1: Want the cheapest option leslie, which just sounds like you don't, but I'm just gonna tell you because other people might be wondering, put your phone phone in airplane mode and then turn the Wi Fi only back on when you get to that country, and just hunt for hot spots.
Speaker 2: They are in a lot of places.
Speaker 1: They're not gonna be everywhere, but if you don't want to spend a nickel, just hunt for the hotspots. There's an app called Wi fimap dot Io which can help you find the networks.
Speaker 2: But no matter which route you go.
Speaker 1: Before you leave, turn off those automatic backups and uploads on apps like photo backups, Google Photos cloud storage. Make sure they're set to Wi Fi only, so you don't use up your entire plan.
Speaker 2: I actually have something else.
Speaker 9: Yes, when you do call your provider, Yes, make sure you ask them how to turn on that feature on your phone. Because when I went to Tokyo, I didn't know that I have to turn it on. So I was in Tokyo for like three days with no signal. Yes, because I didn't know that they're on my Samsung. You have to hit something to turn on international call, so yeah, ask you before you do that.
Speaker 1: You may have roaming and international turned off in your settings because of course that's the default. You don't want to international or Rome, so yes, and a lot of times, especially with Wi Fi calling and all that stuff, you want to set it up before you have to leave. And by the way, Japan is still one of the trickiest places for international calls out of all the different countries. They do have some different rules about their cellular networks, but in the for the most part, roaming is almost universal. Every you know, used to be five ten years ago, it was much tricker than it is now. But I've gone to most places now and it's quite easy to find hotspots and also do that international rooming. Great question, Leslie, thanks for the call eight eight eight rich one O one.
Speaker 2: Eight eight eight.
Speaker 1: Uh seven four to two, four to one zero And sorry I was taking notes. I'm taking notes about where Leslie is from so I can put it in the show notes, and I was blanking there. Coming up, I'll tell you how Nintendo is helping you lend your games to friends much easier. Now, this is rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich DeMuro here hanging out with you, talking technology at Triple eight rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two, four to one zero one website for the show rich on Tech dot TV. Coming up this hour. We we've got Colin Walkee, a cybersecurity and data privacy expert, to talk about that whole twenty three and me thing. I'm sure you've seen the news that they filed for bankruptcy and folks are trying to get their DNA data out of there, and so he will speak to that and whether you should do that delete your information. A lot of you probably already did you know? That's probably what the reality is here. I mean I posted on my Instagram. People are really eager to get their info out Dave from Joshua Tree Rights in Hey Rich, Greetings from the High Desert. I love the show and catch it both on my local radio station and the podcast through Spotify. Here's a question I think a lot of listeners might have. Is it safe to store documents with sensitive or PII personally identifiable information on Google Drive. Well, that is a great question, and I think we take for granted the fact that we store all kinds of data in the cloud, whether it's iCloud, whether it's Google Drive, whether it's one Drive. And I think the main thing to understand is if this information is encrypted. And so Google Drive does encrypt data, both in transit and at rest, so that means when you're uploading something to Google Drive, it is encrypted, and when it's sitting in Google Drive, it's encrypted. So if someone came across those files, they'd find it tough to figure out what's in them.
Speaker 2: So that's good.
Speaker 1: But this is linked to your Google account, and as we know, accounts get hacked all the time, so you have to be careful with phishing, weak passwords or any This is what I think is the most dangerous third party apps that request access to your Google Drive. So my main concern is, you know, someone getting access to your Google account and then of course getting into your Drive account. Now, I do think that Google takes a lot of precautions because they're one of the biggest out there. Even if you don't have two factor on, they've sort of turned it on anyway, because they will send a notification to a different device if they don't recognize a log in to get you to you know, authenticate that log in and make sure it's you. Does it happen? Do people get in of course every day, I'm sure, but that is the biggest thing is make sure that you're protecting your Google account. And this is why I really you know, in a pinch, I will use that sign in with Google thing, but try not to use that because even though it's easy, you know, it just links up all of these different places now, especially Google drives. So there's two ways that apps might ask for access to Google Drive. So for instance, I recommend an app called SMS Backup and Restore. So if you're on Android, you can download this app and it will back up your your text messages to us. You know, you can export them whatever you want to do, but it can also back them up to Google Drive. And the way that this app works, I really like it because it says, hey, we would like access to your Google Drive, but we would only like to be able to act says information that we create, So a folder inside Google Drive we will carve out and only that folder will we access. And that is the right way to do it. When you go to an app and it says, hey, can we access your Google Drive and it says, see read and delete all files in your Google Drive, you do not want to allow access to that unless you really really trust that particular service provider. Now, this also happens for Gmail, and again, anytime an app asks for full access to your account, you have to be careful. Now, there are some legitimate apps that do this, like I recommend a ward wallet, and for a ward wallet to really work, it kind of finds all my itineraries and dinner reservations and things. They want to scan your Gmail because they're looking for any sort of reservations you've made. Trip it. Same thing, if you give full access to trip it, they want to ask for access to your Gmail because they want to be able to scan for itinerary. So you better trust these companies that you are giving full access to your Gmail. The place I want you to look third party apps and services on Google. So go to my account dot Google dot com slash connections, and you will see all of the third party apps and services you have connected to your Google account, the ones you know, the signing with Google whatever linked account. But the ones you really want to take a strong look at is the ones that says access to And I've got sixteen you can see. Seven have access to my calendar, seven have access to my contacts, eight have access to my Google Drive, nine have access to my Gmail. And you want to go through there and make sure look at every one of those things that are connected, make sure they are legitimate. If you don't use that app or service anymore, get rid of it, disconnect that connection to your Google account. Eight eight eight rich one o one eight eight eight seven four two four one zero one. I'll link up that Gmail or that Google account connections on my website. Rich on tech dot TV coming up, we're talking twenty three and me. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich DeMuro here hanging out with you, talking technology at triple eight rich one oh one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one big news this week that twenty three and meters declaring bankruptcy. This is a company that went from like six billion dollars in market cap to uh think their stock was trading under a buck at one point, and uh the problem is, you know, you take one of these DNA tests, which are always a top seller during Amazon Prime days, and that's it.
Speaker 2: What more you going to do?
Speaker 1: I'm sure they tried to sell subscriptions and things like that, but probably wasn't much they can do with all this information unless they were selling it, which hopefully they were not. Uh here to talk about what you should do because of this information being on their website. Is Colin Walkee, a cyber security and data privacy expert.
Speaker 2: Colin, Welcome to the show.
Speaker 1: Good After which, So what was your immediate thought when you heard that twenty three and mes was declaring bankruptcy Because a lot of people have their DNA in this data bank, My.
Speaker 12: First thought was this can't be good. I would be extremely concerned if my data were sitting there and about to be sold into bankruptcy proceeding to somebody I didn't agree to give my data to.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, so that's the thing I mean twenty three and me. If you go on there, you know, data protection kind of facts, it's like, oh, yeah, we protect your data. We you know, hold this in high regard. But the problem is the new company that comes in there, just by nature of wanting to buy this distressed company, is going to want to make money on it.
Speaker 2: And how do they do that.
Speaker 1: They monetize the stuff that this company has, which is DNA data.
Speaker 12: That's right, And you know the point that you just made their rich was if you look at their terms and service they do speak proudly about how well they try and protect your information, but they also say in there that our terms of service may change at any time. So even twenty three and me still Bill and has the power to do essentially whatever they want with your data, save and except for any potential state level laws that really are applicable. And so, yeah, it is a concerning situation because there's very limited options for individuals to have control over this data at this point.
Speaker 1: So what happens to sensitive health data when a company like this goes bankrupt?
Speaker 12: Well, it's a very good question. I mean, in this particular circumstance, that data is in fact an asset, right I mean it's worth money. For example, Facebook after the Apple Store went into their opt in methodology, claim that it cost them ten billion dollars a year in revenue. So your data is an asset. It's being bought and sold on an open market. And so in this particular case, a buyer can come in and buy the entity as a whole, or alternatively, if that doesn't happen, the assets themselves can be sold off. That obviously, that then does beg a question. So, for example, in Tol, their state privacy law says that if you have sensitive information, you have to get permission before you can collect and process that information. So if somebody else buys the company as a whole, I don't know that you have to regain their permission. If you buy just the assets, it may be the case, so that whoever that buyer is then has to get further permission. At least for Colorado residents, it's a further process their information. But somebody like me in Oklahoma, we don't have a data privacy law. They can do whatever the heck they want with my data.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so it sounds like it's very mixed depending on where you live. And also how this bankruptcy proceeds, how this company buys this what they label it as.
Speaker 2: So, I mean, what's the recommendation? I mean, do you think so?
Speaker 1: I know a lot of attorney generals, at least in California. I know they issued a consumer alert saying, hey, you should get your stuff out of this database. And by the way, it's not just the genetic data, it's also the test sample as well.
Speaker 12: Right, that's right, that's right, it's both of those. And I mean, you know a couple of things. So, first of all, to your question about what should individuals do, Yes, absolutely they should try and call or submit forms through twenty three meters to get their data deleted as well as their samples deleted as quickly as possible. One of the questions that I have that I don't know if there's an answer to this, because this is a unique situation. Once a bankruptcy preceding occurs, there's what's called the automatic stay, which prevents anybody from going after any of the assets of the debtor. Well, if I call in the middle of a bankruptcy proceeding and I asked for them to delete my data, while I'm not a creditor, I do have the right to do that. I'm deleting assets from the bankruptcy.
Speaker 1: Estate, right because think about it, that's the thing that's valuable about twenty three meters is this DNA data? So are they And I know people flooded the website because it was slow to respond and all this stuff, and you know, people were asking to have their data deleted. We don't actually know if twenty three and me is honoring those deletion requests right now.
Speaker 12: That's right, and perhaps more concerning, an FTC report came out just last year that said many tech companies like Facebook, Google, maybe twenty three and Me, they weren't specifically identified, don't even know what all data they have on you or who they share it with. So to your point, yeah, they may or may not honor those requests, and we don't know because it's a black wall behind there now.
Speaker 1: I would imagine in today's age of AI, having the DNA of millions of people might be pretty valuable to an AI company.
Speaker 12: Oh, not just to an AI company, but to bad actors as well. I mean, certainly to AI companies, especially if they're good actors looking to do healthcare services, but even bad actors. I mean, for example, twenty three and me just settled a data breach hack from a few years ago in which six million of their twenty five million records were accessed. And the concerning part is is that those six million records were predominantly Oshkenazi, Jews or Chinese individuals, meaning this was a targeted hack. And so your genetic and data and information like that is sensitive and unlike your social Security number or your name, you can't change that. So for both good and bad actors, there's a ton of value in this type of information.
Speaker 1: It just sounds scary to have now your DNA info out there and your I mean, we know our social and all the personal information is out there because of all these data breaches. Link that up with the data with the DNA information. It's like, I mean, what more is there about us that we can secretly protect?
Speaker 12: That's right, and that's just it is. I don't think people truly appreciate and realize how much their privacy is being pilfered through all of the apps and everything that they're downloading. Because now not only do I know your location, your geolocation from your phone, not only do I know your credit card information, but now I know who your second and third cousins are, and so that helps exploit individuals and deep fake attacks and synthetic fraud.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, I mean, yeah, that's the thing.
Speaker 1: It's like, the more they can up this information, the more they have to to try to defraud us in various ways that, by the way, some of these ways we haven't thought of yet. And that's what these scammers spend their whole day try to figure out, is hey, hold on, now we know Rich's cousin, Let's use that name to target him in some sort of attack.
Speaker 12: That's right, and then tell the technology developed sufficiently you can't predict. So just like in twenty fourteen, twenty fifteen, when everybody was walking around playing Pokemon Go, Yeah, even then there were nefarious, you know, issues with that, such as geolocation data being sold, et cetera. But now fast forward ten years later, we're dealing with AI and robots who need to learn how to navigate the real world, and they're doing that through everybody's use of Pokemon Go because it helped map a three D world that individuals were going through.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I've talked about that. The business behind some of these companies is the data collection, not like Pokemon Go is a fun game. But I mean, look at how much that company just sold for. So I mean it's or the company or the game. I guess the you know, scopely bought it, and they bought parts of that. I don't know if they bought all the data. I guess they must have. But the point is, all of these services that we use for free, if we are not paying for them, we are the.
Speaker 12: Product, absolutely absolutely, And that's what's so just disturbing to me is that not only are we voluntarily allowing this to happen, but our legislators and those individuals who are supposed to be our leaders are permitting this to happen.
Speaker 1: Well, that's the thing. It's like this tech is moving very quickly. So what's your recommendation for the twenty three meter? Do you think people submit that form that says delete my information.
Speaker 12: Yes, I mean, as I've spoken to other individuals about this, listen, you absolutely should go ahead and try and do everything possible that you can to get that information deleted.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 12: The good news is is that they should honor those requests at this time, again, absent the bankruptcy law preventing them from doing that. But the problem is is that it doesn't necessarily eliminate the problem because I don't don't know how they handle their DNA. But you could imagine a scenario in which they then copy whatever data they have of yours and then de identify it so that your personal identifiers address, email name, or whatever are removed. And in theory, you're like, well, okay, then they can't identify me. But the problem is is you note, Rich, I just have to find one more data set sitting out there on the internet, and if I can find a few data points that link back up to the twenty three and meters data set, I can reidentify whoever I want to.
Speaker 1: Oh, mysh, Colin, I am so happy you said this, because people do not realize that just because your information is d sort of like decoupled from you in a personal way, it doesn't mean that these companies are not recoupling it up on the back end with other databases. And so when you give your email address or phone number at a grocery store right for the discount, that information is merged with other databases from a whole different variety of places, and they come up with this full picture of who you are, and it's very crystal clear.
Speaker 12: And I don't know if anybody's ever looked into companies like Axiom or others that do these types of data brokerage services. But they then label you into categories as though are you an influencer or an influenced individual? And that's how granularized they can get to who you are as an individual to determine how easily you can be manipulated. And it's very concerning because they know everything about you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's it's these companies love to say like, hey, we're not personally identifying you, but they conveniently leave out the fact that, oh, on the back end, we're mixing like six or seven databases with a lot of information about you, and yes, we know exactly where you are, we know what you're watching on TV, we know the commercials we saw, and that's we're also going to target and add to you on Facebook based on all that stuff. So I mean, this just goes on and on. Colin Walke, We're gonna leave it there. Do you have a website?
Speaker 12: Folks can visit, yes, and just search them a named Colin Walkee.
Speaker 1: All right, great, conversation. Hopefully you're going to have you on again to talk about some of this privacy stuff.
Speaker 2: Because it is wild absolutely.
Speaker 1: Rich thanks for joining me today eight eight eight rich one on one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. I'll link up the directions on how to delete your twenty three and meters genetic data on the website rich on tech dot tv. Back after this, Welcome back to rich on tech. Rich DeMuro here talking technology with you. The website is rich on tech dot tv. If you want to sign up for my newsletter, please do that. It is uh informative. Every weekend I send it out. I've also got the show notes there as well. This is episode one fifteen, So if you want the link to uh anything I mentioned here on the show. So I mentioned earlier the permissions for your Google account if you want to review those, I've got the link there, the instructions on how to delete your genetic data, how to activate that Peacock premium if you're a Spectrum customer, A whole bunch of stuff, all the travel stuff, I recommend it. It's all on the website rich on tech dot TV. Nintendo is working on virtual game cards for the switch to. This means it'll be much easier to lend your games to family members. I remember when my kids got switches a couple of years ago. I was like, wait a second, do I have to buy two copies of the same game so they can play them?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: You did, But now they're going to make digital downloads work more like physical cartridges, So you can basically send one game, buy it once, and send it to another Switch on your account, and basically you'll be able to lend that game for two weeks. It'll happen over local Wi Fi, and after two weeks, the game automatically returns the original owner. Of course, you can only lend it out to one person at a time, but from everything I can see about this, the response online has been incredible. People are like, wait a second, is this real a company doing something the way that they should have done it, Like, we actually liked this idea, and yeah, this is going to happen starting late April, So if you've been frustrated with lending out your games to family members on the Nintendo devices, it will get much easier. And by the way, Nintendo Switch to coming out this year, It's been many years since the Switch has come out, it's time for an update. Nintendo keeps hinting, and they showed us what it's going to look like, but they keep dropping little details. The next amount of details are going to come out on April second.
Speaker 2: Get it.
Speaker 1: Switch to April second, okay, and a day after April Fool's Day, which is smart because if they did on April Fool's Day, we would not believe them. But the Switch to of course, you know it's gonna be out in time for the holidays. That's going to be a banana seller and people are gonna buy those things like hotcakes. Because even if you had a Switch, you've probably had it for a couple of years. Now you're ready for an update. And you know, Nintendo devices are never as high powered, you know as the xboxes of the world or the PlayStations of the world. But they're just fun and they're great for the family. And the games, I mean the IP they have with all the Mario stuff and zell they just keep regurgitating kind of new games with their familiar IP that people just love. Let's go to Mary in Los Angeles. Mary, you're on with Rich.
Speaker 4: Mary.
Speaker 2: Are you there?
Speaker 1: Mary had a little call Mary you on. Nope, okay, no Mary. Let's see here. How do I drop a call? It's been so long since I dropped call. Do I just press this button?
Speaker 2: Did I do it?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 1: Bobo's like, no, you did not. All right, let's see here. Let's go to Eduardo in Tampa. Eduardo, you're on with Rich?
Speaker 2: Are you there?
Speaker 4: Thank you very much?
Speaker 10: Rich, Good afternoon.
Speaker 2: Hey.
Speaker 10: So this has to do with logging in, in particular my financial institution. Now I do the delead browsing history, the cachet, and you're supposed to get a hex cold which you put in there too, acts as your accounts.
Speaker 2: Sure, when you first log in, a couple of times.
Speaker 10: It's worked, but like today, I tried it and I called customer service, which this is a good institution because they're there every day, so if you get locked out, you can call them and they can unlock you.
Speaker 2: Well, what happened.
Speaker 10: I did what I was supposed to do. I deleted the browsing history, the cache is and all that. And I mean, the last couple of times it worked, and today it didn't work. So them and he had unlocked me and I was able to get in.
Speaker 1: Okay, So here's the deal. So a lot of times with these one time codes, especially with banks, when they sense that there's any sort of unusual activity, they are going to stop that code from going out. And so I've gotten some messages from folks about this Amazon, and sometimes what they'll do is on your account, they'll do like a lockout time period. So if you've tried, let's say you press that button like three times right to get that code, They're like, something's not right here. We're just going to pause that delivery of that code for a while. So I don't know what the secret sauce is and they don't really reveal it, and every company in bank is different, but it's these fraud systems that they're using to try to make sure that nobody's getting access to your account. So that's what I'm guessing happen. Did they give you any sort of explanation.
Speaker 10: No, I mean I did it a couple of times. I don't think I ever did it three times. I did it twice in night thought and I.
Speaker 1: Called them okay, So that I mean, who knows what triggered it? I mean, but the fact is it was triggered after you cleared out your browser, which means typically typically when you log into your bank or any sort of online account, they're keeping a little bit of data on your computer, like a cookie, and so that that cookie usually has information about your last log in, whether you've already been sort of pre authorized on that account. So that's why your username may be saved there. Sometimes you use your name on your password and you just have to log in and then it gives you that code.
Speaker 2: But there's a.
Speaker 1: Whole, you know, a variety of ways that companies will sort of authorize you. Someplaces, you know, like your Gmail, it'll just stay logged in forever until something changes, or you log out. With your bank, it'll log out automatically. But the level of security kind of varies based on the account. But if you are clearing your browser history, typically it is clearing out those cookies and that cash and that is what's making that new login trigger, and so if you don't want that to happen, sometimes there are ways to clear your just your browsing history, but not all the cookies, not all the other stuff, so that you can still stay logged in. But in general, Eduardo, I think it's a good thing that your bank locked you out because that means that they're on top of things, and hopefully that means your account safer.
Speaker 10: Yeah, well, I'm glad I have them for a call in, so thank you very much.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thank you for the call today, and I'm glad that bank is there on a Saturday. You know, it's like you don't even want to call these companies anymore because you're just like, I don't even know. I mean, it used to be you could call any big company and they'd have someone there twenty four to seven. Now it's like, no, I've called certain companies that I do business with, and you cannot believe you call early. They're like, oh, our representatives start at eight am or nine am. You're like, wait, what this used to be a twenty four to seven service. So I think we're paying more these days for things and we're getting less and these companies just continue to find efficiencies with technology that sometimes bug us eighty eight rich one on one eight eight eight seven four to two, four to one zero one. More of your calls coming up right after this. Welcome back to rich On Tech. Rich Demiro here hanging out with you talking technology at triple eight rich one oh one. That's eight eight eight, seven, four to two, four one zero one. Coming up this hour, we've got Mark Vena. He is going to talk about the Samsung Galaxy S twenty five and how it lured him away from the iPhone. Yeah, after seventeen years of using it. And I got to say, the reason why I want it to have him on the show is because it's kind of doing the same thing to me. I mean, I get the Samsung every year, I play with it and it's great, but there was always something that kept me from wanting to use it full time. And now it's the opposite. I have to force myself to use the iPhone because you know, if I start texting people with those green bubbles, they get all annoyed at me. Even though it's gotten a lot better with RCS, I was texting someone the other day and it's like the RCS stuff is just perfect. It really is, because you can see when they get the message, you can see when they've read it, you can see when they're typing. You can send big photos and videos and they don't look all pixelated anymore. So, I mean, I feel like that issue is gone, Like, choose the phone that you want, don't just choose the one that forces you to stick to it because you know you can't get I message anywhere else.
Speaker 2: Oh wait, who's doing that? On my Instagram?
Speaker 1: At richon Tech, guys are having a field day with my post.
Speaker 2: It was my wife's birthday.
Speaker 1: We went to Los Alevos, California has some beautiful areas just north of la and Losa Levos Wine Country is one of them. So anyway, I posted our whole itinerary what we did and just how much fun we had, and we have literally not been We can't stop talking about it because we had such a nice time. Because we parked once and we never drove again the whole weekend. And to me, that's like when you can do that and just walk to all the places you want to go and have dinner and wine tasting and all this stuff. It's just so fun. So anyway, if we want to see that, it's at rich On Tech. Give me a follow. Let's go to Stanley in Bettsville, Ohio.
Speaker 2: Stanley, you're on.
Speaker 4: With rich Hello rich love your show. And I wanted to ask a question that's perplexed me for months. Okay, on our company's website, well, actually, any website that I go to if there's a YouTube video. When I click on it, that YouTube video mini window reappears with the message sign in to confirm you're not a bot. This helps us protect our community. I cannot figure out how to get that YouTube video to play, how to sign in to confirm with someone I don't even know who to confirm that I'm not a bot.
Speaker 1: So when you help, you said, this is on your company computer.
Speaker 4: Well, no, sir, any computer that I use, and on any website I access. But it frustates me because on our company website for our new startup, if people click on that, they won't well I don't know if they see the message to confirm they're not a bot or not.
Speaker 1: Okay, couple things. So typically when you see this message, now we see these messages all the time on our computers. You know, it says please confirm, and it makes you do all those silly puzzles right where you're sitting there. It's like only humans can solve this. You're like, wait a second, I can't even solve this thing. It's like drag the shape that most closely resembles a fish onto the other fish.
Speaker 2: You're like, what, what? Hold on?
Speaker 1: Let me read this thing, and then you've got all those things to say verify you're not a rope. So websites are using all kinds of ways to avoid bots on their sites, to you know, to keep the resources down from being overloaded, and also malicious content. I mean, there's so many reasons why websites want to verify who we are, that we are actually human and really going there for a reason, right, not just like scraping or using some sort of automated software to buy tickets. So there's a lot of reasons why these companies and websites make you verify who you are and that you're an actual human. Typically, what you're describing is when you are using some sort of VPN or a proxy.
Speaker 2: So a lot of.
Speaker 1: Folks, especially on the iPhone, they've got this like proxy service built in, like this iCloud Private Browsing and so it's like some sort of like thing that shields your IP address, and a lot of times it's activated if you pay for iCloud Plus or something like that. And so if you go to a website on your iPhone, you might encounter this message that says we have detected suspicious activity on your account. You know, we got to wait a minute, or you got to refresh to proceed or whatever it is. And the reason they're saying that is because they're seeing a bunch of requests coming from the same IP address, which is Apple servers, right, because they're all everything is funneling through this server to try to like clear or you know, hide everyone's personal information from this website or their IP address, whatever it is. So typically Stanley, that is the reason. So if you're running a VPN, I would try turning that off. If you're running some sort of proxy, turn that off. And so there are some web browsers like Opera, we'll have like a proxy built in, and so you will, you know, if you can disable that, try reloading that website without that proxy turned on or without that VPN turned on. So and also I would do what we talked about earlier with Eduardo and Tampa is clear the the browser history and cash and see if that helps. So go into your settings on Chrome or whatever you're doing, and just clear out your delete browsing data. And once you delete that, that may help reset things and make it so that you don't see that notification every time you go to a YouTube video It's interesting that it's happening on no matter what computer or account you're on. That tells me that it's at a very network level. So that could be also a feature on your router that you have toggled on, some sort of proxy. I'm thinking it's some sort of proxy or VPN feature, so I would check that for sure. A good question. Thanks for the question. Let's look at the emails here. We got a question from Mark in San Diego. He says, Hey, Rich, I really enjoy your show. I live in San Diego and MeTV is no longer over the air and free. I tried your suggestion to use over the air apps on my rokup, but they don't offer me TV. They do offer a handful of local stations on a per city basis, but no MeTV. So in San Diego, the only way to get it is to subscribe to an expensive stream. So for just MeTV and that's all I want, this is not practical. Can you offer any suggestions to get me TV for free? I've heard of MeTV. I'm not fully familiar with it, but I'm looking at their website and it's basically looks like a website. It looks like a like sort of a station that shows older programming. So I'm looking at the Yeah, Alfred Hitchcock, Adam twelve, Andy Griffith. So it looks like these like dot two stations, Like if you have a station in your area, they subscribe to this MeTV to sort of air and broadcast using one of their secondary channels, so you know, like a four dot two four dot three, four dot four and it's just basically to use up the airwaves and have some sort of programming on there. I checked in San Diego, putting into the zip code, and it looks like it is not available over the air anymore in San Diego, so it looks like it's only on the cable services cox AT and tu Verse Direct TV. But they do have it on Friendly TV, So I'm not sure. If you checked. You said expensive streaming. Friendly TV is like the cheapest streaming service you can get out there. It starts at six dollars and ninety nine cents a month. Now, I know you didn't want to pay anything, but I'd say seven bucks a month. If you really enjoy this MeTV, that might be a decent way of getting it, and you can at least try seven days for free, so I would at least investigate that, But that's really your only way as far as I can tell. It must have been that whatever TV station had this MeTV dropped it and they switched to something else, or they just air their own programming, whatever it is, but you're not gonna be able to get it with an antenna as far as I can tell down in San Diego, so I would check out the Friendly TV. It's also where a lot of people go for Hallmark programming over the holidays because it's one of the cheapest ways to get the Hallmark channel. But I have a feeling MeTV doesn't do its own streaming app because its whole play is to sell its programming to these cable providers and also the channels that then broadcasted over the air. And so if they had their own service, like their own streaming app that they charged three four dollars a month for, they sort of be cutting into their own business, which is selling this channel to these broadcasters.
Speaker 2: So that's probably what's happening there.
Speaker 1: Thanks for the email, Rich on tech dot TV, Diane writes in good morning, good morning. I always want to say thank you for your help. Whenever I've emailed, You've always responded quickly. Your answers are very helpful. I have lots and lots of pictures on my Facebook account. Is there any way to back them up? Especially in case my account gets hacked?
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: So a lot of these major services have what's called the takeout and so Facebook has a tool where you can go and you can download a full copy of your entire account, which includes your photos, your videos, and your other content. So if you go to your settings, click your profile picture in the top right corner, click settings in privacy, then click settings again, then click account center, then click your Information and Permission, then click download your information, then click download or transfer your information, and that's all you have to do. That's it, Diane, Very easy.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: There's not a direct link, so I mean you're gonna have to Maybe there is, but I will link it up in my in my show notes. But basically you can go to is it see A lot of them would be like Facebook dot com. Facebook dot com slash takeout would be like the easiest way to do it. Let's see if that brings you to know it. Let's see Facebook dot com slash takeout. No, that does not bring you to it. Don't do not go to that. Don't go there. Oh yeah, do not go there. Oh my gosh, now I'm getting spammed. But yes, so you do have to go to your Facebook settings and you can download your information. But the good news is it is pretty simple, and I will link up the instructions in the website. But Facebook, for some reason doesn't like all of their like settings and things always involve so many steps, and I think they do that on purpose, just to make life a little bit tougher. The only easy Facebook url I know is Facebook dot com slash hacked, and that's because so many people get hacked on Facebook that they have to have an easy URL where you can go and try to regain.
Speaker 2: The security of your account.
Speaker 1: And by the way, when I say people get hacked on Facebook, a lot of times it's not necessarily hackers. It's really people get tricked into giving up their Facebook login information. And they do that through these notifications as say, hey, there's a copyright infringement on your account or some sort of problem, and you log in real quick and you've just given up your account. So Rich on tech dot tv for instructions on how to back up your Facebook photos eight eight eight rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Let's go to uh Mark, Mark and Tarzana Mark.
Speaker 2: You're on with Rich.
Speaker 8: Yeah, Hi, Rich, I've been listening a long time. It's my first time calling it. Great to have you after Leo Laporte.
Speaker 2: Oh well, thank you.
Speaker 8: I'm in the market for a new computer, looking for all in one or a desktop perfectly and all in one with at least a two terabyte hard drive. You have any suggestion.
Speaker 1: Do you have a preference Mac or PC? Windows Windows? Okay, So a couple of things. First off, I always recommend folks look at Costco because they typically stock one to two all in one computers and they are a very good deal every time, and the specs you get there are usually better than what you would get anywhere else. Now, the thing that you're asking about is a two terabyte hard drive. Most of the time when I go there, I most of the time I'm seeing a one terabyte hard drive. That could be different these days, but that's the main downside of getting it from a place like Costco is that they're probably not going to have that two terabyte hard drive unless they do. If they do, then great, That's where I start if you have a costco membership. Otherwise I would look at some highly rated systems like an HP Envy all in one. So I think that's a great system and you can get it with a two terabyte hard drive, or I would just go to I mean, if you want to build it yourself, you can go to somewhere like Dell dot com and get the two terabyte hard drive. The thing is most of the computers, a lot of.
Speaker 2: Them have where are you. You're in Tarzana.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say there's a great place called Microcenter down in Tustin, but that's too far from you to go. But I would recommend. I mean, I think the iMac all in one is a great computer. But you did want a Windows PC. But I'm looking at some of the recent reviews and the HP comes up pretty high. Let's see if you want something that's on Amazon, Yeah, the hps score very high. Yeah, Acers, I'll a sus. I don't know if they make let me see if they make it. I like the asuses recently. I think they're doing great on laptops. Yeah, I don't see as many as the ace US and the all in one. They probably have them. But I think what it really comes down to, Mark is when you go to best Buy or wherever you go, you're looking for the specs that are going to make sure this computer lasts for a bit. So again, I think that's depending on what you're doing. Since you want that two terabyte drive, maybe you want a better processor, So I would say at least an Intel five seven is going to give you a much faster speed, and then same thing with the AMD. If you go five or seven, that's really what you want. You don't want anything below a five at this point. And then with the memory, I always say sixteen gigs a RAM minimum, But if you're really outfitting this thing like I went thirty two last time, it just gets very expensive. That's the unfortunate side of memory. When you're getting it the day that you buy the computer, and then the hard drive two terabytes, it's very reasonable. That's what I did on my last computer. So the higher you go with these specs, the more you're gonna spend. That's that's basically what's going on, because most people are getting that. You know that simple, simple, processor, hard drive at five twelve or maybe a terrorbyte, and the memory at sixteen gigs, so good luck. Feel free to email me if you you know. Some people will email me if they're trying to decide between two things. But that's what I would do, is start at Costco. That's usually the best place to start.
Speaker 2: Thanks for the call. Mark. Pixel nine A.
Speaker 1: We talked about this. Google's like mid range phone. I would call it their budget phone. It's under five hundred dollars. They announced it last week, but there was a delay because of some sort of issue with a component quality situation, and so now they have said, okay, I guess that's figured out. They got back to the drawing board, they figured out what was happening, and the release date is April tenth. So this is a phone that is pretty fantastic. Even though I haven't played with it just yet, I can just tell. Because it's a Pixel, it's gonna have great software. It's got a decent chip inside, It's got eight gigs a RAM up to two hundred and fifty fifty six gigs of storage, got a nice big screen, brighter than before, great refresh rate, big battery, good IP rating, so IP sixty eight, which means gonna be water and dust resistant, and it's got that great Google software that's, by the way, updated for seven years. So if you're looking for a budget phone, you want a great Android you don't really necessarily care about the iPhone side of things, go with the Pixel nine A I mean five hundred bucks launching April tenth. This is their answer to the iPhone sixteen E that's five ninety nine, which is also great if you are on the iPhone side of things. And Disney Plus, by the way, getting a feature users have been asking for for a while, the ability to remove shows and movies from the continue watching row. I know it sounds silly, but you weren't able to do this, so if you started watching a movie or a show, it would just linger there forever. So this is helpful if you started something or didn't finish something and you just want to get it away from your screen.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: So this is rolling out. It's starting on Apple TV, mobile and Web. So on Apple TV can press and hold the center button on a title, then select remove. On mobile or web, tap the three dots next to a title and choose remove. So more devices will get this feature soon I mean, can you believe they didn't have this for a while. I mean if you started watching like some silly movie on Disney Plus and you're like, ah, that movie's bad, it'll just linger there forever, and it's like it just haunts you. Now you can finally get rid of the ghosts on your Disney Plus screen. All right, I'll put links to all of these things on my website rich on Tech dot tv, also the Instagram at rich on Tech. Coming up, we're gonna talk Samsung versus iPhone. Mark Vina is going to talk about why he has ditched his iPhone in favor of Samsung. Right here on rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich DeMuro here hanging out with you, talking technology. The website for the show rich on Tech dot tv.
Speaker 2: That's real.
Speaker 1: Find links to everything I mentioned here on the show. I got an email about callers or I guess listeners looking for my Wine Country recommendations. That's on my instagram at rich on Tech. You got to go there. Like I said, I spent the weekend last weekend, b lined it after the show and went up to Wine Country at my wife.
Speaker 2: So I've got my recommendations there.
Speaker 1: Feel free to steal at itinerary if you're ever going to visit California or if you're in the area. All right, my next guest is Mark Vena. He is the CEO and principal analyst at smart Tech Research. He ditched his iPhone recently for the Samsung Galaxy S twenty five.
Speaker 2: He's going to talk about it. Welcome to the show.
Speaker 13: Mark Rich, How are you this afternoon?
Speaker 2: Good?
Speaker 1: I typically see you, you know, somewhere in the world, depending on where we are, but it's good to hear your voice. And you know you're always making the rounds because you're an analyst. To explain what an analyst does, by the way.
Speaker 13: Well, technology we really have great jobs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you do.
Speaker 13: That's what you're doing.
Speaker 14: You're looking at the landscape, the technology landscape, and you try to make call balls and strikes and what companies are doing right, what are they operating in interesting markets? You know, what is the market looks like from a tailwind standpoint or a headwind standpoint.
Speaker 13: One of the great parts of the job.
Speaker 14: And you know, even though you're not an analyst, you know you're you are in the.
Speaker 13: Technology coverage area.
Speaker 14: We get lots of free stuff, you know, and you're you're constantly getting samples somethink my house looks like Best Buy sometimes, and but it gives you an opportunity to play with the technology and evaluated. And it's, you know, one of the most exciting things I've done in my career.
Speaker 1: Because if an analyst says, oh, this is great, this is the next best thing, it's kind of like a journalist giving a good review.
Speaker 2: It's like, oh, this is something want So I hate to use.
Speaker 14: That word influencer, but I guess I am an influencer. I hate that, but because it's too it's just twenty twenty five ish. But you know, I am sure.
Speaker 13: You know, you get a lot.
Speaker 14: Of inquiries from from your listeners, from your TV appearances.
Speaker 13: I get every time I do something on.
Speaker 14: ABC News or a network news channel, or I'm sure I'll get, you know, emails appearing on your radio show.
Speaker 13: Mark, you know, do you really mean what you wrote about?
Speaker 8: Is it?
Speaker 13: Are you really giving up your Apple iPhone?
Speaker 14: And in this particular case, you know, the the publication I wrote on Tech Newsworld, it is a great, great publication. The editor there why we're very close relationship with he encourages me to write on things that are a bit controversial, and I try.
Speaker 13: To be fair, I try to be balanced.
Speaker 14: And this one was a hard one for me, rich because I've been in the Apple ecosystem for more than a decade, you know. I mean, I bought the first Apple iPhone that came out in two thousand and seven, and I you know, I drank the kool aid, so to speak, and I really fell in love with it.
Speaker 13: And it was hard.
Speaker 14: You know, you you excited some things earlier before I came on your show that you know, you know, I've been getting these Samsung phones regularly, and you know, what is it going to take for me to you know, to move off the schneid, so to speak. And you know, the the S twenty five Ultra and the S twenty five Standard one, but I'm the one I'm I compared.
Speaker 13: It to is the Ultra.
Speaker 14: It's a great phone, you know, and and it's it's i mean harder and harder to find reasons that well, why do why do I want to stay in the Apple ecosystem?
Speaker 13: And we'll we'll talk about that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well that that's the thing, is like there's always some little thing that kind of kept me back. And this year is really the first year where I'm like, I'm turning to the Samsung much more than the iPhone because it's just it's kind of fun. I mean, Samsung has always thrown a lot of features at the wall and and kind of some stick, some don't. But what was sort of the main thing for you? What was the thing that, like you started using the Samsung, You're like, no, I want to stick with this.
Speaker 13: Yeah.
Speaker 14: Really, the main thing is is that the camera capability, both video and image photography is is stunning.
Speaker 13: You know.
Speaker 14: Not to say that the Apple iPhone sixteen Pro isn't it isn't a very solid phone, Apple, I'm sorry. Samsung has always had a pretty good lever in that space because of their technology with sensors and uh, They've got this great relationship with Qualcomm. I think I saw you at the Qualcom event last time I saw you, and they are really the magic the technology ingreading behind the scenes. And and not to say that Apple Silicon isn't great. Qualcomm has done a fantastic job of really you know, rising to the occasion with its latest Snapdragon technology. They're playing a great role now as you know, in PCs kind of you know, reshaping that category.
Speaker 13: But for me, it was really the camera capability, uh, the RCS cable. It's funny that you reference that.
Speaker 14: Now, there is a downside of of going through the using a a Android phone when you're using a I'm sorry, a Apple iPhone when you're using it with a Windows PC and we'll talk.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the thing is. It's like, I mean, that's a bummer.
Speaker 13: Practically, that's a big bummer for me. It's a big bump.
Speaker 1: Well, here's look, at the end of the day, Apple doesn't really do anything to make their products easier to use with any other products, whereas in the tech world, and you know this, the whole beauty of tech is like interoperability, right, Like the whole thing is like things should work together. And that's the problem is like Apple is amazing if you have a MacBook or an iPad and an iPhone, it's an incredible cohesive ecosystem AirPods. But as soon as you try to like mix and match, it's like, oh, that doesn't work.
Speaker 13: Oh that great is exactly the problem.
Speaker 14: And the problem is is for that joy of operating the Apple ecosystem, they extract the premium and when you go out and buy a MacBook Pro or a MacBook Air, you know, let's face it. I mean I regularly get a MacBook Pro every time they rev v models because I use it for video editing and things like that. And you're paying for the five thousand dollars where you can get a comparable Windows PC gel and a p and a number of others make very very fine qualcom Snapdragon based PCs and others. I had mentioned Intel, but that's a different story.
Speaker 2: That's a whole other story.
Speaker 14: Yeah, but the fact of the matter is you can get into into the Windows.
Speaker 13: The Windows ecosystem is a lot more affordable.
Speaker 14: And that frustrates me because to your point, Apple, it doesn't have to be that way. But remember which everything that Apple does, and I suspect I'm an old marketing guy. If I was Greg Joswiak or one of the big scene of leaders at Apple, I probably would do everything I can to keep you in the ecosystem.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's been on record.
Speaker 1: That's you know, that's why I Message is not available as an app on any other platform. You know, it's like people stick to Apple because they've got their eye messages in there. And again, yes, it's gotten easier with RCS, but it's still you know, it's a blue bubble thing, it's an ecosystem thing.
Speaker 13: But still that's the same thing.
Speaker 14: And truth be told because I'm sure there will be people that will email Mark there.
Speaker 13: There are solutions to.
Speaker 14: Allow you to use text message Apple text messaging on a Windows PC. The reality is they're all kluegy, They're all they all attached to Bluetooth.
Speaker 13: You got to sink it and everything.
Speaker 14: It's not as clean and seamless as the Apple experienced.
Speaker 1: But you said you miss eye mess in your article. You said you miss eye message, you missed air drop.
Speaker 13: Yes, that is true. That is true.
Speaker 14: And anybody who uses large video files like you and I do, that air drop features a very cool feature. You know, you could just be you could be a hotel room and as long as it recognizes that Apple device in your room, you can transfer that file very very quickly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what about this the low key perk you mentioned, the wireless power share.
Speaker 14: I think that's an I think that's an interesting benefit and I and it's interesting because you know, the challenge that Apples had with iPhones has been battery life now I've gotten Obviously, if you get the if you get the Pro Max, that has the larger battery, and you're going to get really really good battery life. But if you use these sixteen the non either the sixteen or the sixteen Pro, the smaller format, that's going to have a smaller battery, and you're probably not going to get the battery life that you'd like. Now, Samsung I think has done I mean, what's your point of view. I think Samsung has done a really good job in the battery life department.
Speaker 1: I mean, look, I think that the the S twenty five I gave a glowing review this year. I mean I really said, like, the only thing keeping people from this phone is really if they are just an iPhone die hard. And let's be honest. You know, it used to be the whole thing was like should I go iPhone or Android? And now it's the market has matured so much that I don't see as many people wanting to switch because they're so heavily invested and in one ecosystem or the other. And so I think it's really tough for these companies to even get people to switch at this point. And I think both have their pros and cons.
Speaker 2: I mean, they really do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I think you know, you said that the one UI was excellent. It's more customizable. But Apple, you know, they have all the apps, they have all the accessories that are just you know, everywhere.
Speaker 14: Yeah, I mean, I mean, I mean from that perspective, I mean, that was kind of the joyous thing when I made the transfer. When I made the transfer, you know, Samsung does a pretty good job of moving your data from an iPhone to the new Samsung.
Speaker 13: I was delighted with that.
Speaker 14: I couldn't find an app that I was using on the iPhone that was not available on the on the Samsung Android platform. Now, I will point out something that it's a little bit of an inside baseball thing.
Speaker 13: You know, I've got a significant other who lives in.
Speaker 14: Northern LA area, and she's got a couple of teenage daughters. You know, I don't think I could extract an iPhone from a private iPhone from her because she probably provides tech support for her kids, and she does, and she does not want to have to deal with well how do you do this? And an A on a Samsung phone or a non Samsung Samsung Android phone.
Speaker 13: So there is some.
Speaker 14: Benefit to that. There always has been. But I would say that if you do want to make the plunge, you know, and make that transfer and jump into the non Apple ecosystem that is Samsung, I would recommend people stay with all Samsung phones because even though Android phones in theory rich as you know, are supposed to have a somewhat common look and feel.
Speaker 13: You know, if you buy an Android phone from Huawei, you buy.
Speaker 14: A phone, a phone, a not a Samsung phone, but a non Samsung Android phone.
Speaker 13: All those phone OEMs.
Speaker 14: Are going to try to add their a little you know, secret sauce to make the interface a little bit different and a little bit you know, more compelling, and that creates confusion, you know, that's happens.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I agree, and I and I do tell people that. I say, look, if your friends and family have one, it's an easy way to ask for help, is you know, if they already know what they're doing on it. All right, Mark, We're gonna have to leave it there. The website for Mark is smart tech research dot net, smart tech research dot net. Real quick, I got thirty seconds. Has anyone giving you a little bit of issue at your green bubbles?
Speaker 13: Yes, I do that. But the reality is I think people do understand. I mean, but there is a thing out there. As you know, when.
Speaker 14: People see the bubbles you automatically, well, you know that you're not You're not an Apple US.
Speaker 13: There's kind of a how it feels in the McCoy's by default.
Speaker 1: Apple did that on purpose. That's that's the thing. Just send them the article. Just send them the link to the article.
Speaker 13: Mark, but it's a good world.
Speaker 1: Mark Vina smart techresearch dot net. Thanks for joining me today talk about iPhone versus Samsung.
Speaker 13: Hey, thank you.
Speaker 1: Rich All right, coming up, we are going to open up the feedbag. It is overflowing this week. We'll see how many of these messages from you we can get to.
Speaker 2: Right here, I'm rich on Tech.
Speaker 6: Than you.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to rich on Tech. Time for the feedbag segment. This is your feedback plus the mail bag, the emails, the comments, and the questions I get from you. If you want to submit yours, just go to rich on Tech dot tv hit contact and yes you do that many many times per week. I do read all of your emails. I may not be able to respawn to all of them or share all of them. Here, but believe me, it gets to me for better or for worse. Leo from the Laptop Elf Project writes in great show, I think it's helpful to separate voice typing, dictation, and transcription. They each serve different needs for most basic tasks like email or filling in text fields. The built in dictation tools in Windows, Mac and Chrome are simple and work great. On Windows, Press Win plus h to launch voice access. On Mac, go to System Settings Keyboard dictation to turn it on and set a shortcut. And on Chrome go to Settings Accessibility, Keyboard and text Input toggle on dictation. These don't have those fancy AI features you were talking about, but they get the job done without needing any extra software. Keep up the good work, thank you, Leo. Tony from Oshkosh writes in after listening on WTAQ, when you were mentioning Fax machines, you missed the mark a bit when they came into use. The US Army was using them regularly in the late nineteen seventies. Massive machines impractical for most civilians unless you had serious mind honey. Fun fact, Fax technology actually started in eighteen forty three, and by eighteen eighty eight you could fax the signature. This will be on the test, so make a note of it. Thanks Tony. I was saying all that tech when I did the nostalgia tech when I came across it, not when it started.
Speaker 2: But thank you.
Speaker 1: Scott from Battlecreek, Michigan. Listening on thirteen twenty Wils writes in, I was listening to your show and I heard your discussion about saving bank or credit union statements. I'm low tech. I still get my mailed to me. I once asked how far bank how far back I could access statements if needed. They told me only three years. I've had to check statements older than that, so I'm glad I kept the paper copies. Your listeners might want to ask their banks or credit unions how far back they can go. It might surprise them. And yes, Scott, great, Yes, great tip. Because my one of my bank accounts only goes back like one hundred and eighty days or something. It's very short. Again, I guess it's less for them to keep. Diane writes in, I'm listening to your pot cast for the second time. I don't want to miss a thing. I wanted to share how I back up my credit cards in case they're lost or stolen. I make a copy of the front and the back of each card, especially since the back has the important phone numbers to call. I keep that paper in a safe place just in case. Diane, that is a great tip I do that. I actually used to do this once a year. Photo copy everything in your wallet, so all of your cards front and back, and your driver's license and your passport, and that way, if anything ever gets lost or stolen, you have an easy way to recover it, or at least start on the path of recovery. But great, great thing to do, also very smart to do before you go on a big trip. Photocopy your wallet. Put a copy of that, maybe in your suitcase, obviously somewhere safe. Andrew from Oakland writes in I've been a tech listener on KFI, going all the way back to Jeff Levy, and I can't tell you how much I enjoy your show. You strike the right balance of tech info and nostalgia. How it all fits into our lives is what really makes your show stand out. During today's show, I guess this was last week your story about the evolution of how we consume media, from Walkman's to CDs really hit home. I live for music and work in entertainment, and it instantly brought back memories of my own tech milestones, my first portable CD player, the Rio, which I also had I forgot to mention that last week, and eventually the iPod. I even have a little museum of all those devices. And yes, I still have that very first CD player. It doesn't work, and I'm glad I kept it.
Speaker 2: Great show.
Speaker 1: Thank you from an avid listener. Well, thank you, Andrew. That means a lot. Stephen Marsha writ in my rich my wife and I watch you each morning on TV. We have learned so much. Thank you well, Steven Marsha, thank you for watching. It sounds like I'm doing what I set out to do. And Aaron writes in do you noticees get nicer as they go along?
Speaker 2: I order them that way.
Speaker 1: Bud about to say that, yeah, they get nicer as we go along. Aaron writes in, I've learned a lot from listening to your program and find you much more enjoyable to listen to, much more enjoyable than what I don't know. Maybe the competition everything from knowledge about the newest and greatest gadget to the nitty gritty of how to fix something. You walk people through a situation, giving them a confidence that they can do it, when on the other side, we're afraid to make a move for fear of messing things up. Even more, thank you again, Erin Erin. That is my goal is to give you that confidence. You're not going to break something, You're not gonna mess something up. So many people are afraid of just like using their technology, because something is gonna break or get broke, just whatever. So many things that people are scared of. And my whole job is to make this stuff seem fun and enjoyable. And so if you're not trying to break stuff, you're not using your gadgets enough. So definitely try to break things. Um, okay, we oh, we have one more. Let's see here. Victor from Ermont. I just discovered your show on wo and I'm hooked. Thank you, Victor, I love it. We just added an affiliate in New York City, as you know WR seven ten, and people have been finding us there on Sunday nights and we do appreciate it because that is where I'm from. I'm from New Jersey and so being on in New York City has been a lifelong dream of mine and I'm glad that we're resonating with the show there. We've got so much more on the website rich on tech dot tv. If you're not subscribed to my newsletter, please find me there. Subscribe to the newsletter. We've got almost forty five thousand of you getting the newsletter every weekend and just enjoying that version. It's kind of a version of this show. You can find links everything I mentioned on my website. Just go to rich on tech dot tv. You can find me on social media. I am at you guessed it. Rich on tech Next week we're going to talk to Joel Santo Domingo of The Wirecutter. He's going to break down mesh networking, what it is, why it matters, and the best systems to buy. If you want better Wi Fi in your home.
Speaker 2: That's going to do it.
Speaker 1: Thanks so much for listening. I know there are so many ways you can spend your time. I really do appreciate you spending it right here with me. Thanks to everyone who makes this show possible. We've got Bobo on the board, We've got Kim on the phones, We've got you listening, and me of course.
Speaker 2: My name is rich Demiro. I will talk to you real soon. We'll do it again next week, all right,