Speaker 1: You were listening to Ruthie's Table four in partnership with Montclair.
Speaker 2: I'm Ruthie's Table four.
Speaker 1: We're always getting people to talk about their memories of food, how food has affected their lives, how they think of food as comfort, of sharing, of joy, pleasure, and from us, how does it happen, How does a restaurant work? What are the concerns that we have as chefs, as managers, as waiters, as suppliers. The sun has come out, there are holidays, Wimbledon's going to be coming soon, and we're doing parties, and we're doing a wedding, and so every day is a different day, and so we thought today we would talk to you, Sean, Joseph and myself about the River Cafe and what we're thinking about and doing right now over to you. So tell me.
Speaker 2: We had a pretty intense weekend.
Speaker 3: So I'm reeling off the back of yesterday lunch, which was a Sunday our two hundred and eighty cover lunch in the in the main restaurant, and feeling like it probably run a small marathon, maybe a little mini marathon.
Speaker 1: When you say two hundred and eighty, what does that feel like? Because would you say, if it had only been two hundred and twenty, or if it had been one eighty, what do you balance that? Again?
Speaker 3: Probably it's not a number, is it When you're looking at the number of people you cook for. It's more about how that number rolls through the day. And I think, I, on reflection, if this is the therapist culture, I would say that I probably wrote too difficult menu.
Speaker 2: I'll be introspective here.
Speaker 3: So I thought, because it was Father's Day, I thought I'd try and do some dishes for families. I thought there'll be a lot of families coming out. So I did one dish, which was the beasteak of Fiorantina. It takes you to Tuscany. It's a really class sick dish that I think is fun because you basically get a whole a beef steak off Charantina is a tea bone, but it's thick cut it.
Speaker 2: It's cut as if it.
Speaker 3: Was a double thickness, and it has surloin on one side and fill it on the other, and we charg grill it and then would roast it to finish it off, and then we serve it on a massive plate and you can share it for two or three people, and I thought, that's going to be amazing, all the fathers out there having their steak. Specific I thought, what would be really nice would be some tuscan and roasted potatoes, some little potatoes, rosemary and garlic and olive oil, another plate of some green bit of green vegetables.
Speaker 2: Some checoria with olive oil.
Speaker 3: And then I thought it would be really nice with two sauces, horseradish fresh, horse readish your crome fresh, and salsa verde. That all sounds like dreamy, But what I hadn't really thought through was the fact that you need for that one dish, you need one plate with a beef on, one plate with potatoes on, one plate with greens on, one plate with sauces on, and the plates for the people. So the person who's taking the food out had to basically go back to the table several times with all these extra accoutrement, which was just people were in a lather taking the food out. It was just like for every steak there was six plates, rather than someone having a steak and having one plate. It was like a feast arriving.
Speaker 1: We had it. So I came as a guest yesterday and Noah always we love a beef and it was incredible. It was incredible, It was so it was just so great to have this piece of beef brought to the table and actually the sides looked beautiful on the separate plates, and you could choose. The potatoes are dark and crisp, and the greens were just kind of juicing the sauces. So as you were describing it, it doesn't sound like the easiest thing.
Speaker 2: But did a lot of people order it?
Speaker 3: We had We had sixteen whole fiorantinas to sell, and we sold all of them. We could have sold more. So that's about thirty two people forty people having that and the other dish. I'll tell you about the other dish. I decided to totally stitch up the kitchen early on in the day by doing another dish that I thought would be really family focused, which was in a roster mysto. I don't know why I thought of doing that on such a busy day. So I sent a note to the kitchen when I woke up in the morning, but I was up earlier, but I sent a note saying I wanted to debone three rabbits and then so we need to debone the rabbits. That's already quite a skillful job. Then we wanted to stuff them with bread crumbs, livers, rosemary panchetta, roll it up and then wrap it in presciutto then tie it and then that would be roasted as one dish.
Speaker 4: That's what I'm ordering.
Speaker 3: It was, and then that was going to be served with a live a Crostino, slow cook peas and a half a pigeon. And so in theory for a nice fifty to one hundred cover lunch, that's manageable, but for that many people it was really cardgoing.
Speaker 1: It's finally because I was here the Saturday night and I saw that it was on Saturday night, I think it was Carlotta, and she was laying out the menu, you know, just saying what was available, what we're going to have, and I saw a rosta misto and I thought, whow okay, I thought it was Joseph's idea. I thought it was Joseph. Yeah, I said it was Joseph on and he thought that would be a nice thing for Sean to do on Sunday lunch. And no, the message came back it was Shann's idea. So I thought, okay, it's a Shan's idea and she's doing it.
Speaker 2: That's okay.
Speaker 1: And I did notice a few antinas, but both of them were you know, was it fun?
Speaker 2: It was? It was fun.
Speaker 3: And the fact that it was a busy day and we sort of spend the whole year knowing that in this week, the next few weeks we've got Queen's Tennis, Wimbledon, there's Henry. It's a London season. People come to London for art, people come to London for parties, don't they actually, And so the River Cafe over the next two months is full throttle, and so all the chefs know that. So people they're kind of pumped. I guess they kind of know what's expected of them.
Speaker 2: And because a few times and you don't usually you see.
Speaker 1: And the thing that scares me is when you go in there, when I'm working in there, was so you just have a build up of tickets and you see the whole line of tickets. But I never saw more than like four or five on each level of the dett Gravidge tables. I think, yeah, maybe, oh yes, did it and then took a table down.
Speaker 3: I think there were lots of bigger tables, so there were sixes and eights rather than like so you could have a whole order board full of tables of two, or you could have a smaller order board but with bigger tables. I think maybe that was it. But never has the staff drink at the end of the day. Taste is so good.
Speaker 2: That was a fun part. Decompress what you've been cooking to.
Speaker 4: What have we been cooking a lot this week? Been thinking about the pizzas this week that we've been serving and looking at the types of flour and the recipe for our pizza. Though. I like the way in the River Cafe is so it's this combination of like what chance be talking about things you do in the moment that are just you know, could be just In fact, Keith mcnaledge was just asking us about the menu, were saying, is that when do you try out stuff? You know, we can just have a go at doing something and then we might not do it again, which is really lovely. But aside that kind of incredible freedom, really there's also these things that we constantly do, like pizza and squid and it's really nice. Actually, I quite like the just digging a bit more down into We've got a new baker here who's making the dough for us, and I've been talking to him this week about making some adjustments.
Speaker 1: I think the great thing is that we've been having lately is the pesta. You know that we're doing pesta right now, and we've been waiting for pesta to start, and still I don't know how you feel about the basil, whether it's sort of that really green peppery that you get more in July. We do have a way of making it that is quite light. Now let's talk to the people who are listening about pesto. I mean, what is your idea of pesta.
Speaker 3: I would start with the basil, because we already have a situation in the kitchen with the basil, how it's prepped. Because we get this basil, which is the op basil.
Speaker 1: From described to listener what dop is?
Speaker 2: Will you describe the op basl?
Speaker 4: So it's not often it's used for wine or for things that it's come it's protected, are protected, comes from the specific place. So the basil that they grow in Liguria, I've always been told, doesn't grow anywhere else. You know, you can't. They try and take the same seeds south and it doesn't work. So the daguri and basil that we buy comes in these little light green leaves in a bunch that is protected in a box and is so delicate. As soon as you open the box and start using it, the basil starts to you know, will to go away. I'm not going to talk about how much it costs, but it's phenomenal.
Speaker 1: And because somebody listening and they might want to get this basil, can they find it?
Speaker 4: Well, we buy this basil sometimes as much as seven pounds a bunch of basil, and that's you know, bringing mind with buying boxes of it. It's very expensive.
Speaker 2: It almost looks like a bridal bouquet.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so beautiful and then a great big thing. You should see the box. It really is beautiful. Yeah, yeah, And so you're right. Over the last few years, I think we've really perfected this kind of like kind of light green paint emulsion paint type kind of pesto that is absolutely beautiful and is so and it's really useful here on days obviously days like today when it's sunny and bright, but also you know, like you get in London, you get bad weather in the summer, and I always think putting this beautiful pesta on the menu brings this brings the sun in, you know. It's a lovely way we can we can use the menu. And at the same time, sometimes when you just need a tiny bit of pesto, might make it old fashioned innner mortar and pestle, you know, putting leaf by leaf, you know, and crushing leaf by leaf and getting a slightly more rustic sort of dark green pesto, which I don't mind so much to put like a doll up in the middle of the soup or something.
Speaker 1: And I had the soup, I had the ministrooney with the in the middle. And also we do the peace soup pesta. I like pesta in soups, you know, just to a little dark what is your.
Speaker 3: We went what was the name of that restaurant we went to in Liguria? We went together where they put the bibs around an x and then they made us this super smooth pesta, and we got the feeling they were making it like literally to.
Speaker 1: Order to margarita. They give you that that very well, what's your technique for making?
Speaker 3: So there's the there's like various house styles, aren't there so since then we were like, how do they make this pesto? It's so pale green, you not like what you might imagine you can buy in a deli. It's almost I we really think farm Ball should make a paint color called the River Cave pisto.
Speaker 4: Maybe it could be a pain that sort of will go khaki quickly.
Speaker 2: Well, how would you describe the green?
Speaker 3: It's almost like it's pale, pale green.
Speaker 1: There was no pale and that comes from I mean when I was in you know, Todd in the kitchen. They put it in a vertical blender. They don't put it in the neither in the queisin, nor do they pounded or you know. Yeah, it's that verticalness which really wizards it up almost, you know, and.
Speaker 3: You're trying to avoid the basil oxidizing, really, aren't you.
Speaker 2: I think they're trying to retain the green.
Speaker 1: So tell somebody listening.
Speaker 3: So we used to think, oh do we how do they get it this pail? Then we found that with a little bunch of basil packed I found that you don't want to pick the basil pick the leaves because the stalks are so delicate that you can just.
Speaker 2: Use a stalk as well.
Speaker 3: So I would fill a large bowl of water, dip the basil head in it, and swish it around. But then any of the water that's left I think helps with thermossifying.
Speaker 2: Of the oil and water, because you need a bit of water in it.
Speaker 3: And then you have, you know, for one bunch of basil, probably fifty grams of pine nuts and maybe half a clove of garlic, probably about fifty grams of parmesan, and then we put it all in the liquidizer with a probably about one hundred fifty mili olive oil, give or take, and then switch on and the water and the oil and all of that washes up, and then it becomes this green, pale green paste which is just so you think, I wonder what that's going to taste like, and then you taste it and it's literally like all the flavors in the pesto in this smooth liquid amazing.
Speaker 2: So it's so beautiful on the plain.
Speaker 1: Also, I think, especially you know the pesta that you have in Liguria, you often have with Lasagnetti. It's very thin sheets of a pasta, and I used to watch the woman and she just would spoon it over and it was just so so thin and yet so strong. But I think you do need something liquid. You need a bit of water or something other than the olive oil and the pine nuts, because it just doesn't whizz up.
Speaker 2: You need some something.
Speaker 4: I remember a Lagurian chef who worked here, Lorenzos, Yes, Lorenzo long Ago, and I remember making pesto with him when I was, you know, a chef in the back of the kitchen with him and him asking me what the ingredients were, the classic kind of so what do you think guys did a pesta pie that's you know, cheese whatever, And he said, you've missed an ingredient now and I was like, what have I missed out? And what's your Is that water? Yeah? That was that was It was like, you need to have a little bit of water to make so good.
Speaker 1: We are now officially expecting a heat wave, okay this week, and so we've got to think about what when we order what what are we thinking about.
Speaker 3: When it gets hot and I know that we're gonna it'll be hot in the kitchen, you sort of think about the well being of the team because it's kind of I remember a few summers ago where we had a proper mega heat wave in London and we ran a sweep steak on how hot it was going to get above the grill and the person who got the temperature.
Speaker 4: Right and we bought we bought big blocks of ice and we brought these people buy to like calve, just to have them like hanging around.
Speaker 2: We don't have air conditioning.
Speaker 3: No, probably try and do the cooking early on in the morning when it's cool, and then turn the ovens off. So you like you guys say like we do, like the wild trout cooked in sea salt, or turbert in sea salt, and do vitello tonato, seabast cupacchos cold longestings with ioli.
Speaker 4: I really like fish Cookbook one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and think about I always think about the customer sitting outside with a cold glass of rose that always looks so appetizing, and then like what food goes with what?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 3: That kind of thing, isn't it. You kind of think do you want to eat finely chopped up raw veal on a boiling hot day? I don't know, you sort of think maybe not, so you probably don't be careful with rosottos on hot days. We don't often serve rosotto just because of the rice being a bit something you might not fancy on a hot day, although.
Speaker 4: There's tomato rosottos sometimes. Summary this is thank you, thank you for listening to Ruthie's Table four in partnership with Montclair