Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys Let's go.
Speaker 3: Are you ready for a break?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 3: Are you ready for a break?
Speaker 5: Absolutely ready for a break?
Speaker 1: Yeah, and so much for that. It's time for The Break on Dallas Cowboys dot Com with Ambar Garcia, Brian brought Us, Nick Harris, and Derek Eagleton.
Speaker 6: It is twos that July thirtieth, twenty twenty four, Season twenty, episode number eleven.
Speaker 5: Welcome to the latest.
Speaker 6: Edition of The Break, live from uh On, California. Yeah, as soon as we start up then they want to do the blowers. Anyway, we got a great show planned for you guys today. We're brought to you by LG. LG is the world's number one OLED TV brand for seven years and counting. See why at LG dot Com, Forward, slash O, led Evo.
Speaker 3: There you go today.
Speaker 6: Yeah, good to be back of you guys. It was an off day for the players on yesterday. Today they crank it up, and they really crank it up.
Speaker 5: Today.
Speaker 6: Pats come on for the first time, so it should be a lot of fun. A lot of things to look out for before we get into that though obviously the news that came from the weekend Sam Williams, mcl and ACL tear. What does this mean for Sam Williams Because this was a year where I feel like most observers, even those in the front office, looked at this as a year where I think they were expecting Sam to take that next step.
Speaker 5: What do you think is next for him?
Speaker 4: Yeah, this is tough for him. It was like you said, I think a lot of people were expecting him to take that next step because of the opportunity that was in front of him. You saw Dorn's Armstrong and Dante Fowler Junior leave over the offseason and go to Washington, and that just completely opened the floodgates for Sam Williams to be able to take on both of their snaps, both A Day productions. I mean, Dorren's Armstrong was a guy that was second in sacks only behind Micah Parsons on this team for the last two seasons, and the expectation was that Sam Williams could probably be Micah Parson's running mate as that athletic presence off the edge, whether he rotates in for Mico or they come off on both edges with each of those guys. I mean, that could have been a deadly little duo. But now he's gonna have to sit a whole season and that puts a lot of pressure here on this edge depth, which I'm sure we'll dive into as well. But for Sam Williams, it's super tough because he had the best opportunity of his career going into twenty twenty four, going into his third season, and now unfortunately he's gonna have to watch from the sidelines.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it really sucks.
Speaker 7: And I mean we did that campaign out show the night before, we talked quite a bit about him and what we were looking for this season. He was in such a great spirit, his energy. I mean, he's one of the best, and I get it. A lot of people criticize him, and obviously, yes, we see all the penalties he draws on the field. Sometimes he doesn't think ahead too well. But at the same time, he's a guy that has the drive and that has the competitive competitive ness to put in the work and I was very, very excited to look forward to see what he was gonna be able to do this training camp. Like you mentioned, Nick, the opportunities that he had in front of him and it's just it's devastating. He was in so much pain when he got injured. He laid on the ground for quite a few minutes there in pure pain. So it's just it's it sucks to see such a young guy at a key moment in his career get the year taken away. But now, I mean, we know next man up type of situation. Now it's the younger guys. Marshall Neelan, he's a guy that everyone's looking to next now that he got drafted, and that's a lot of pressure for for a rookie. But let's see what h and also what the Cowboys are gonna do if they're gonna end up signing some free agent guy.
Speaker 8: Yeah, there's it is a very difficult loss, but especially considering with armstrong fouther guys going out the door and you're losing some depth there. And then the thought was, okay, here's a guy that we really thought enough of. You know when you look at where he was selected, and you know, there's I'll challenge anybody to find plays where he plays a low number of plays but has productive snaps. Now he'll have some where he'll go low into a quarterback's knees or he'll hit hands to the face and you know, and you're trying to get off the field on third down, but he's also a guy that could get you off the field on third down. And visit with Mike Zimmer about that they had a plan for him, like seventy seventy five percent of the snaps, we're going to be some packages and things that they were going to do with him, And so this is a big loss, am Bar. You mentioned Marshawn Kneelan. He's shown up really well in the early part of the camp. We'll have pads out here today. I'm interested to see how that goes for him. But he's showing some quickness off the ball. I anticipate him getting a lot more work. He has been getting a lot work, but now it'll be even more prevalent.
Speaker 3: Out there, I think, with the opportunities that he'll get.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think the interesting part about that is I think there are two things. One, I think it was interesting to me that he got hurt on a special teams type drill, which I've always wondered, like I'd much rather see him out there on defense and on special teams because special teams is where it seemed like there was some of those moments that would show up that were like what was that? You know, it's just but again, these are just you can't really predict them.
Speaker 5: These things happen. But even beyond that, I think.
Speaker 6: One of the most interesting things for me about where they go from here is my expectation is they probably went into this camp thinking that Sam was definitely going to be a part of the rotation, and they were probably gonna get some from from Nyland as well hopefully, Yeah, and that was going to be there for man kind of in rotation. Now the question becomes it's not simple enough just to say well Neeland pushes up.
Speaker 5: The question becomes who's.
Speaker 6: That fourth guy, and you start throwing out names like tyrus Weet who popped up last year and kind of did some decent things at camp. You got Junior free Jolko, Like, who steps up to be that fourth guy?
Speaker 5: I think is the bigger question at this point.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you have Villiami Fojoco Junior, a fourth round pick from a year ago, and he didn't see the field at all last year, So I think there's an expectation that he has to be the guy to be able to step up and make an impact. But also, whenever dan Quinn was here, he was a guy that was maybe sliding in and playing in a little three tag and then pushing back out to five. So how does his versatility kind of play into that. He's definitely not a Sam Williams clone, if that's what you're looking for, But that Sam Williams clone is not on this roster. Right. You also have Durrell Johnson. He's a twenty twenty three undrafted free agent who was on the practice squad last year out of Liberty. He's a guy that Will McLay had mentioned almost immediately as somebody who would have at least an opportunity going into this week. And then you mentioned Tyrus Weed. He played a lot with the linebackers last year, and then whenever he found his active roster spot about halfway through the season, he was kind of rotating in with the edge group as well, but mainly just a special teams guy at the end of the day. But I think those three guys are going to have the first shot, and it's probably gonna be a shot that lasts, you know, however long into training camp, however, long into the preseason and then I think the Cowboys are going to have to make a decision probably going into that third preseason game or coming out of it saying, hey, how do we feel about this edge depth? Do we need to add a body here? I mean, there's still a couple of veterans out on the market right now. Cause I mentioned a couple of veterans out on the market as long as they're free agency, okay, Carl Carl Lawson and Yunique and Gacway. I mean those are two guys who have been super productive at different stops in their career. I mean, in Goakway he's been with six different teams in the last five years, which is kind of crazy. So you know, heyme come bring the journey along. Maybe.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 8: I feel like and you mentioned some really good names. Had a chance to look at four different guys free agency wise, and the guy I liked the best was Charles Harris, who was with the Detroit Lions. I felt like, though, I if I'm Will McLay or I'm in the pro department here with the Cowboys and I'm bringing names, I'm trying to find somebody that has similar traits to the guy lost. And I think that when you mentioned the Carl Lawson's and then Gackways and stuff like that, similar traits. But I think Charles Harris, when you watched him with the Lions, and even watching him play against the Cowboys last year, you could kind of pick up some stuff. The initial quickness off the ball, the explosiveness, the ability might play the run better than even what you had with Sam Williams. So you know, a guy that can hold the edge has some power but has some pass rushability. So if you're into that market, all these guys are kind of twenty nine years old, and can you say, all right, we can get them on a deal. Maybe they're looking for a little bit more money than probably you're willing to.
Speaker 3: Give. I looked at a Tyres Bowser this morning.
Speaker 8: He was a guy that had hurt his knee in twenty twenty three with the Ravens. Was more of a stand up three to four outside linebacker. See you didn't see him put his hand on the ground. But if you're looking for a position, it has some depth to it. As you look at your emergency board, the edges seem to have more quality. And so that's kind of where I think, like, you know, if you're going to have something happen. Maybe there's four or five guys there that you could take a peek at.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I think there's probably a decision there from the personnel department as far as a type of edge that they could bring in. You mentioned probably wanting to bring in a guy that has similar traits to what Sam Williams now leaves in the void, right, But there also could be a decision there. You look at all the edges that are on the team right now. Obviously you have Micah Parsons, who is this a specimen. He's a special te that you could put anywhere on the line and kind of isolate him with an offensive lineman. But if you look at the rest of the group and it's power guys. It's Marcus Lawrence, it's it's Marshawn Kneeland. And even if you do look at that depth group of Illiami Fojoko Drel Johnson, Tyras Sweet, you have a lot of power guys. So hey, do you want to just push all your chips into the table and say, hey, let's bring in another power guy just so we can overwhelm the offensive tackles and wear him down by the end of the game, or do you want to give Michael Parsons a running mate similar to what Sam Williams could have been as an athletic presence off the edge. I think that's probably some of the questions that they're asking themselves right now, and that they will.
Speaker 2: Be asking a case, well, what would you guys rather have?
Speaker 3: I you know, I'm trying to get.
Speaker 8: I think I'm going to get more of a guy that can can rush than the power. And I say this because Nick, when we watched kneel and play at Western Michigan for the Draft show and stuff like that, I think he's showing that he has more quickness and pass rush ability then maybe he even showed it at Western Michigan. I you know, we were talking to Will McClay on one O five three the Fan yesterday and I was asking Will about that I didn't think he was a particularly explosive or bendy kind of guy, and He's like, no, he's really not the bendy. But the quickness is better than they even thought, you know, as they were looking at at him and they're like, there's some things about him, so there might be some pass rush quickness, but along with that power that that that we were talking about with him. So that's something. But if I was to answer your question, Ambar, I would try and get a guy that's got some upfield and grab that shoulder and get around and like I say, Charles Harris would be that guy for me. As I look at as I look at these veteran.
Speaker 4: Guys, Yeah, I think there's a couple of guys that maybe have a combination of the two as well. But yeah, I'm probably with you, Brian. I'd want to find that athletic guy who can get up field and kind of attack the attack the backfield in a different way than maybe what's on the roster are.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this you know, this is it's a it's a position that's always you know, you're always kind of struggling to find. You know.
Speaker 8: Do you have those tweener guys you know, and and and you know some good players for them went on. They you know, Armstrong and Fowler, those guys were legitimate pass rush type of guys.
Speaker 3: But you know, maybe with Neil and they've.
Speaker 8: Got a guy that does have the combination that they're that they're looking for. I'll tell you what I think they're trying to make sure they protect themselves at three technique, And so you talk about would you move Golston, you know, would you move And I'm like, I don't know if Hooko has been playing more tackle than he has been playing edge, so it might be one of those situations where they're forced to put him on the outside as well.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I wonder how much this this injury And it's weird to say when you're talking about a guy that was not going to be necessarily a starter, but how much this injury really impacts them because of what they lost in the offseason? Do they have enough of as Jerry calls him, the war Daddy's the guys that really can go get after the quarterback after losing Armstrong and Fowler, who are two guys that could come in in.
Speaker 5: Rotation and get after the quarterback? And even have enough those guys.
Speaker 7: Left even then they were still struggling a little bit last year, you know, getting to the quarterback towards the second half of the season.
Speaker 2: So it's a it's a big yeah.
Speaker 6: And one thing I do like about it is Zimmer is a coordinator that tends to use his linebackers in the in the in the rush game and so there'll be some of that as well that I think could be helpful.
Speaker 5: But this is gonna be a challenge for them.
Speaker 6: I think this is a probably one of the one of the players that they probably would have said, we don't want to if we had to choose what players we lose, we wouldn't want to lose a player at this position. I think that's a that's a big one for him.
Speaker 4: That's an interesting point because as somebody asked me on Twitter I think it was last night, Hey can Demarvey and over show them be a guy that they isolate off the edge at times? That's an opportunity that I mean, that's an option that that could possibly work.
Speaker 5: He did it at Texas.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, absolutely. And you also have Maris Lui Foul who was kind of a third down specialty pass rusher at times last year for Notre Dame. He's a guy who would show pre snap like, hey he's going to cover the middle of the field and he just b lines for the quarterback as soon as the ball was snapped and he was able to get there and hurry. So yes, that that position group I think could kind of help this this depth problem out. But at the end of the day. You lost three bodies now this offseason, and you only added one. So there's gonna have to be some sort of coming together as far as the talent that's already on this roster adding another piece from outside.
Speaker 5: All right, personal guy, get to work.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's the thing about.
Speaker 8: You know, the thing you come to camp with is a list of like I say, an emergency board, you know, in there in the personnel trailer.
Speaker 3: The names are up all on the wall.
Speaker 8: And then you know, Will and the staff probably sat down and looked at that, you know, looked at that list and said, okay, if we had to, And then then it turns into next thing. You know, you ask God in pacifica, then okay, Adam, go sign the guy. So once you determine who that guy is, then you got to go make sure you sign that guy. You know, maybe bring him in, work him out here, you know, between practices and kind of find out really what kind of shape they're in as well.
Speaker 5: All right, we're gonna take our first break, we'll come back.
Speaker 6: We'll get some observations from the last couple of practices, and I want to hear from you guys as we're getting ready for this next practice. Who are the guys that you are particularly wanting to see when the pats come on to see if they can maybe continue what they've sell shown them so far in some of those first practices.
Speaker 5: We'll do that when we come back down. Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 9: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the cheetah Savannah. Todd believed the big cat repellent he bought online was reliable, and now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has AT and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At and T five G. Fast, reliable, Secure five G.
Speaker 10: Requires compatible plan and device five G may not be available in your area.
Speaker 3: See add dot com slash five G for you for dtails.
Speaker 11: If you can't be at the stadium, there's no better way to watch your Cowboys than on an lg ole led Evo TV. That's because everything you see is more lifelike, every play, every hit. I mean, you might just will be on the sidelines.
Speaker 5: That's how clear it is.
Speaker 11: It's all thanks to LG's legendary technology, perfect black over eight point three million self lit pixels.
Speaker 4: No one comes close.
Speaker 11: Lg ole led Evo is the best TV in the game for a reason. See for yourself at LG com slash Oh let evil.
Speaker 12: Don't put off getting your oil change.
Speaker 4: Dallas.
Speaker 12: Take five Oil Change, a proud partner of the Cowboys, is faster than you think. There's no appointment needed and no waiting room.
Speaker 3: Yep, you hurt that correctly.
Speaker 12: Take five is so fast you don't even have to get out of your car. You can take advantage of Take five's fast, friendly and simple service at any of their locations across the Dallas area. And remember at Take five you stay in your car because they're faster than you think. Take five the official oil change of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 13: If you shout how about them Cowboys, you have that undeniable passion that's the heart of Cowboys Nation. And if you like to drink Doctor Pepper, you love the unique blend of its twenty three flavors. Together, you are one of a kind fandom paired with the one of a kind taste of a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper is the game day lineup that can't be beat better yet. Gather your cowboys and Doctor Pepper fan friends to watch the next game and crack open a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper for everyone. The wins will be even tastier.
Speaker 4: It's a pepper thing.
Speaker 10: Life doesn't stop when the economy is uncertain. The market might not care you have a wedding to plan or a kid to put through school, and inflation doesn't know you've got a family to feed. But Bank of America does, and it's here to help. With digital tools to help you save and local experts nearby, you can keep life moving forward the way you need it to. Bank of America. What would you like the power to do? Learn more at Bank of America dot com, Bank of America NA member After I see equal Credit Opportunity lender back to the break.
Speaker 7: LGO led Evil is the best TV in the game, But don't take her word for it. Digital Trends said that the LG O led G four has the best picture quality they've ever seen.
Speaker 2: Wow, yep, see it for yourself. Brian at LG dot com slash O led.
Speaker 3: Evil man that that's a tough read. That's maybe the toughest one.
Speaker 4: I've ever It didn't butcher her as much as it didn't you.
Speaker 3: No, Oh gosh, that was so reels off. That was terrible.
Speaker 5: Welcome back.
Speaker 6: We were in the second segment live from ox Nod, California. Today is the most exciting day of training camp in my opinion, the day the pads come on for the first time. So there's gonna be some popping out here. So finally looking forward to that.
Speaker 3: It's also terrifying all the same.
Speaker 6: Yeah, exactly right, exactly. But before we as we get into that, let's start first. I want you guys to take me back to the previous two practices. Give me an observation, just one observation of a player or a group of players that really stood out to you one way or the other.
Speaker 5: Uh, in these last couple practices.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'll start Tyron Billy Johnson. How about that. It feels like there's a different receiver every year out here that kind of catches our eye as far as a name that not necessarily that we didn't know or a it's just a name that kind of popped up from under the radar to being a guy who's you know, starting to threaten for a spot now saying that there's gonna be a pretty tough competition to get that final ross your spot at the receiver position. And you also have a draft pick that's factored into that equation too, that we haven't even had an opportunity to really see on the field as a result of injury. But if you had to ask me who has been the most consistent receiver here every single day, you take the names off their jerseys and just tell me which one. It's number thirteen tying Billy Johnson. I mean, he's a guy who's been super impactful in the short, intermediate, and long range. He's had the deep balls from Cooper Rush that he hauled in for a touchdown in the final practice on Sunday. He's had this short and intermediate stuff with Trey Lance and Dak Prescott. He's looked awesome. I mean, he was a speed guy coming out of Oklahoma State and he's kind of developed as this possession guys his career has gone on, and hey man, he's a guy that's just kind of hung around on practice squads for the last four or five seasons. He's starting to build some experience and we see that experience paying.
Speaker 7: Off a guy that I would say, and this is more an observation as far as like just the dynamics of it rather than plays that I've seen. But Ezekiel Elliott and his his comeback and what that group looks like. You know, it's very different than the time that he was here. During the time that he was here, you know, we always would see the dynamic between him and Dak and very close and he's a very happy and active guy. Right now it's completely different, Like if you didn't tell me that was Zeke, I wouldn't know that that was him because of the way he's carrying himself. He's like and not that he was ever obnoxious at all. It's more he's low key at the moment. He's focused, focused on what he needs to do. He's doing his work with the running back group. He's not like taking over completely.
Speaker 14: He he.
Speaker 7: I'm trying to perfectly describe it as like, you know, it's Zeke when he was here, that's the main guy, and he's the leader of the crowd. Now he's just part of the group and just doing like working his way back up. I should say, so, I thought that was very interesting and completely different than what I've been used to seeing when he was here prior. But I'm curious to see just how the running back group develops. Right now, there's nobody that really is taking over. Everyone's doing kind of the same type of work and the same type of the same amount of work.
Speaker 2: And I'm still.
Speaker 7: Wanting to see what the keeping my eye on that running back group and see if anyone actually takes the leader.
Speaker 3: Eric Kendricks is as good as advertised. Yeah, and you watch him play.
Speaker 8: His ability to be at the right place at the right time. He baited Dak into an interception the other day in practice where we haven't seen a linebacker I believe since Sean Lee. When you start to talk about playing past defense, getting in throwing lanes, getting interceptions, knocking balls down, you know we're going to see what the pads come on. You'll see that part where these linebackers step up, they thump. They don't bring the running backs or ball carriers to the ground. But you'll see number fifty a lot probably in your clips. Probably Nick Harris will have a bunch of clips where you'll see number fifty. He's at the ball he's at the ball. He's at the ball the way he's knocking the ball down. So he's just been as good as advertised when you look at his the veteran presence he has and his ability to be at the right place at the right time when the defense is called for.
Speaker 6: So, as you guys are looking at those guys you've watched through these first three practices as they get ready to put on the paths today, what guys are you going to be looking particularly for, because now with the pads on, you can get a better evaluation on them.
Speaker 4: I don't want to see anybody's answer. I don't want to keep going first, Go ahead, Okay, I'm looking at the trenches. You know, this is a group that I think has got a big spotlight on them going into Give me a guy one name Tyler guy easily looking at him at left tackle. I mean, he was able to do some things last week lining up against Michael Parsons where he was able to account for whatever Michael Parsons was throwing at him as far as what he has on his path rush toolbag. But but the pads aren't on. That's always the caveat see now the pads are on. So he's gonna have to be able to account for the full force that is Michael Parsons, the full force that is the Marcus Lawrence and Marshawn neland so how can he account for that? Whenever the Pads come on today, Man, that's gonna be what I'm looking for. I think it's gonna be a fascinating journey that Tyler Guidon will have out here in Oxnard and in the preseason. It's gonna be really big for him.
Speaker 7: Well, my favorite period that I'm so excited to see today, well it's when the O lineman go against the defensive line and yes, the one on ones and one of the main guys, i mean, Mazzie Smith. Huge, huge year for him before the Pads coming on and all that we saw or did we talk about it when he had his little argument or five.
Speaker 6: Talked about We talked about it on the on the show the other night in.
Speaker 7: Between the other truble, Well, he had some beef with somebody. I'm still trying to figure out who the person was. Apparently nobody saw it, but again, if the fire was there during early that earlier on in practice, I'm waiting to see.
Speaker 2: I'm excited to see how he looks, how quick he looks.
Speaker 7: We talked about how his body has started to change a little bit, so I'm curious just to see how he actually looks in action.
Speaker 8: Can I say overshown, Yes, just because I feel like though that he The last memory I had at him was in a preseason game and I think he had six plays and three tackles. And I'm interested to see how now with the pads on the movement looks good. He looks confident out there playing. I guarantee he's going to get to every single ball today. He's that type of player. And talking to Mike Zimmer, I'll give you another guy real quick too, is Damone Clark.
Speaker 3: Mike really likes Damon Clark.
Speaker 8: And if you when you dig into with Damon Clark, the physical ability is there, the athletic of ability is there.
Speaker 3: Mike has got to work with him though on that awareness and then also his.
Speaker 8: Ability to read and to react, because once he's able to do that, he can make plays. This lineback and crew is so much better than where they were last year at this time, and so as a whole, if you want to watch a position today, and I mentioned Kendricks. Watch this linebacker crew today, and like Damber's talking about, there's probably gonna be some one on one stuff, you know, with maybe we'll see the linebackers working against running backs and tight ends throwing the football.
Speaker 3: Maybe you'll see a little bit of that. You'll see some.
Speaker 8: Nine on seven where there's a run period. You know, you'll see them fit in the runs and how they go, and then you'll see some team period as well. But I have a feeling at the end of the day, to quote Stephen Jones, how he says that in the end of the day, uh, the you're gonna look at this lineback and crew and say, as a whole, they probably had a pretty damn good day.
Speaker 4: Monk Clark is a fascinating if I could, Mike, it's a fascinating thing. Really. You look at what he was asked to do last year. He was asked to do everything in the middle of that defense. And I think it might be unfair for some to say that, you know, DeMont Clark probably won't be what everyone expected. But I think you kind of have to throw twenty twenty three out of the out of the picture because I understand games like Buffalo where he was just in the wrong place at the wrong time at all times, but exactly he was asked to do so much last year whenever late Vandresh went down. But now that those responsibilities are kind of being taken off his plate, he has a veteran in the room and Eric Kendricks. He has a guy that can rush the pass or step back into coverage next to him into Marven and Overshonamris, a little foul demon. Clark is going to be able to be DeMont Clark this year, and I'm very excited to see what that looks like.
Speaker 6: I'll throw out another position group that I'm really excited to see. I've in some of the conversations I've had with folks around here, I think there is a real belief that they have something special in the tight end room. And so one of the things I want to see once the pacts come on is who starts to separate themselves when you start blocking. Yeah, can school Maker take that step? Because that's what we saw from him in college at Michigan. We thought that's the part he would be able to come in and immediately be able to be an upgrade there.
Speaker 5: But I don't know if they got that out of him last year.
Speaker 3: They sure.
Speaker 6: The question is now is he ready to take that step? Are some of those other guys who are really looking good when they're running, you know, in shorts and and and and and shells, but when you put on the pads, how do they look when they're having to block some of those defensive ends, some of those linebackers. I think that's going to be the tele tape for the tight ends.
Speaker 3: There's a lot of us.
Speaker 8: Here that have thrown dirt on on hindershot, you know, and all of a sudden, you know he's made a couple of plays in camp, and you know they they run the way they get the tight ends. It seems the ball it's either the seam for the waggles where they move. They send the defense one way and come back the other with the tight end. So I'm looking forward. I'm with you on this. Can you know, can you see Luke scoon Maker and others?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 3: Span forward?
Speaker 8: These guys they're supposed to be blockers, big blocking guys, and if you and they're going to run the football, they've got to be better as point of attack blockers at tight end.
Speaker 4: Quick question I would have for you guys, as far as the tight end position goes is you have Schoonmaker. Obviously it was this blocking guy you bring in, Brevin span Ford, who his specialty coming out of the Big Ten as well was the blocking aspect of things. The schoonmaker's roster spot is safe. So that's not what I'm asking here. But do you think there's a little bit more pressure on Schoonmaker, Yes, to be able to produce knowing that you have another Big Ten guys span Ford who's ready to do the same thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you got to figure out too.
Speaker 8: And like with John Stevens, I mean, are they if they go long at a position When we break camp and we're all packing this thing up and we're starting to think about what positions, how's this fifty three man roster gonna look? These tight ends can make you feel about going long, and I mean going long like carrying an extra guy, you know, And so that's that's you know, these training camp practice to you'll cut yourself. If you don't perform, you will cut yourself. And eight everyone's like, oh, well that the coach has got no you cut yourself because you didn't do I think there's a lot of pressure on Luke's schoonmaker. And I know he's a second round and all that, but there are some guys on this roster right now that if they show better and they you know, Luke Schoomaker, I'm not gonna say safe. I'm gonna say consideration if he doesn't perform well enough. And they've got three other guys and plus what they got. You know, Will McClay was talking to us about Hunter Lipkey, you know, and there's another guy that Okay, you're gonna keep a full back, that's gonna keep what's gonna happen at running back?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 3: WHOA Does that affect the tight ends? Does that affect the offensive line?
Speaker 4: They did line up Loopkey on some Titans.
Speaker 3: Yes, exactly exactly.
Speaker 2: So you saw Hendershan. He needs to This is a.
Speaker 4: Step it off.
Speaker 2: I have to step it up because last year was not good. And we'll see.
Speaker 7: So far, I haven't seen him do a whole lot yet in this I don't know if you guys have noticed anything from him.
Speaker 8: Caught a couple of passes and stuff like that on those boots and waggles things like that, but that's kind of where.
Speaker 3: You've seen the group. You've seen Hi.
Speaker 8: You've seen him catch passes and that Scoonmakers even caught passes. But to Derek's point, this group, if they are going to run the football better, they have got to be better as point of attack blockers.
Speaker 3: And it starts out here today.
Speaker 6: And to that point, there were two names. I've been having some conversation with different people around here. They are two names that keep coming up, Hunter lip Key and John Stevens. Those two names keep coming up, and everybody keep saying, man, these guys are and.
Speaker 5: They but they have but they have. The people I've talked to just they have a it seems like they have a mental plan.
Speaker 6: You always talk about this, Brian, you have a vision for the player, and it seems like everybody that I've talked to has like they see the vision for these two players and they're excited about what they can be in this offense.
Speaker 8: Everybody wants Kyle Huescheck from the forty nine ers. See if you've ever seen Kyle Hughescheck play. He's one of the reasons why all of a sudden, Christian McCaffrey has space because they got wide receivers that block, they got a tight end at blocks and then they got a full back that they bring in motion that sets us the edge and then just hammers people to get the so if they You know Hunter Lipkey last year, but during the season he was what I call a half man blocker.
Speaker 3: He was only hitting half the defender and the defender was getting off.
Speaker 8: Towards the end of the year, he was hitting more square and he was staying with guys and he was kind of figuring out how to dig guys out of a hole, which is a skill that's a hard still to do something. I mean, Darryl Johnston was a master at it in the nineties for the Super Bowl teams here of going in there and digging guys. As a full back, you can't be indecisive. You can't go in there like and just kind of stop and shut her around in there, because that makes the backstop. And what happens when the backstops all of a sudden, everybody's getting there. You've got to get that thing going downhill. And Hunter Lipkey got better at that last year.
Speaker 4: You could kind of see the McCarthy wants to have another John Coon in his offense. As you can you can see.
Speaker 6: That we're going to take our final break, we will come back. We'll continue our conversation on camp storyline. Let's talk a little bit about the running back position. I think there's so much intrigue in this position. We teed it up there with a little talk on lipkey, but there's some other guys we should mention as well that when we come back.
Speaker 5: Dallas Cowboys dot.
Speaker 14: Com radio it's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black and right now Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order plus Because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy lipball. Make a play for the playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP.
Speaker 15: They say champions are remembered, but legends are never forgotten. United Agen Turf offers a winning lineup of John Deere equipment built to tackle any challenge on and off the field. Legendary John Deere tractors, combines residential mowers, commercial mowers, compact construction equipment, cater utility vehicles, and a full line of golf and sports turf equipment. United Agon Turf the official Lagonturf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit Unitedagonturf dot com to find a location near you.
Speaker 5: If you can't be at the stadium.
Speaker 11: There's no better way to watch your Cowboys than on an lg oh lead Evo TV. That's because everything you see is more lifelike, every play, every hit. I mean, you might just will be on the sidelines, that's how clear it is. It's all thanks to LG's legendary technology, perfect black, over eight point three million self lit pixels.
Speaker 4: No one comes close.
Speaker 11: LGO led Evo is the best TV in the game for a reason.
Speaker 5: See for yourself at LG dot com.
Speaker 3: Slash O leadevo.
Speaker 16: From the field of the festivities, lu Casey embodies the essence of luxury and tradition. Handcrafted with meticulous precision, each pair offers unmatched comfort and style.
Speaker 3: Stand tall while.
Speaker 16: You're tailgating or cheering in the stands with the Dallas Cowboys Collection by Lucasey. Shop the collection today at the Luksey store at the Star in Frisco, or online at lucase dot com. Lu Casey the official boot of the Dallas Cowboys and Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders.
Speaker 9: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the Cheetah Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable. And now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has AT and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At and T five G. Fast, reliable, Secure.
Speaker 3: Five G requires compatible plan and device. Five G may not be available in your area.
Speaker 15: See add dot com slash five G for you for details.
Speaker 3: Back to the.
Speaker 2: Break Atant, official sponsor of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 3: Welcome back.
Speaker 5: It is the final segment of the mortgage. We're not fly from this WBC mortgage California.
Speaker 6: I'm gonna do that all the way through camp until we get back to That's how it always goes This segment brought to you by blockchain dot Com. Thank you, mister producer, Man Chris beIN. All right, so let's let's talk a little bit about storylines. Not the storylines, but storylines, some storylines from camp.
Speaker 5: I want to talk about the running back stop member.
Speaker 6: I want to talk about the running back position, and I want to talk about it from the standpoint of I'm gonna throw out some different uh, some different options, and I'm gonna ask you, guys, which of these options is most concerning to you?
Speaker 5: Most concerning to.
Speaker 6: You Zeke's ability to be a lead back, Rico Dowdle's ability to stay healthy, Induce Vaughan Size, or Hunter Lipkey's real true position?
Speaker 5: Is he a running back or fullback? What's more concerning?
Speaker 4: Hm hmm. I would have to go with Zeke's ability to be a lead back, just because those other three, those are other three areas. If they don't pan out, I think there's a somewhere else where you could kind of fill in and make something happen with it. Uh, run me back. It was Rico's where if that were to falter, you still have other bodies in that room. Deuce Van Size. Yes, it's a concern, but I don't think he's going to be asked what everybody else in that running back room is going to be asked to do. And then Hunter Lipke's positional you know, where does he go? I think that's more speaks to his versatility. Yes, I factor him into that running back room, but I also kind of see him as a guy off on an island a little bit. But Zeke's ability to be a lead back. If he can't be a lead back, I don't know who can in that room. So I would have to go with that option.
Speaker 2: But what are you calling a lead back?
Speaker 6: A guy that if you get into a game and you need to run him twenty times in that game, he can do it.
Speaker 5: And the question is is that Zeke at this point his career.
Speaker 6: I do think in the second half of the season last year he had some games where you're like, Okay, that's that's vintage Zeke.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I think you can run him twenty times, but it might be for sixty one yards. Yeah, That's that's kind of where you're.
Speaker 3: At right now.
Speaker 8: I mean it's the tough yards and stuff like that. I think every point that you just went through is an absolute concern, And I mean the Hunter Lipkey one. I think Hunter Lipkey, we've kind of got him figured out as being is the full back, the h the tight end, maybe a short yardage back if he doesn't fumble against the Dolphins. I think everybody's super happy about Hunter Lipkey and what he's done. And you know, but to me, this is where if I'm Will McClay, I'm telling my pro department, my guys, I'm like, listen, let's keep an eye on all these teams that have surplus at running back. I don't know, I'm not gonna let this scene get into the season like they did the one year with the wide receivers. Remember when we're out here and they went wide receiver by committee, then all of a sudden it said we need Amari Cooper. You know, I don't think it's gonna be week five, week six. I think if they get through a couple of weeks of practice here, maybe a preseason game, and it doesn't look like it's like listen, our line is blocking, but we're not getting anywhere, then I could very well see them taking any surplus that they do have at a position and maybe making a swap or taking a compensatory pick and sending it to somebody, because there's teams that do have starting callible running backs that aren't going to be starters for that team, and maybe you can determine that you can get that guy and it can help you get to where you need to be.
Speaker 2: See to me, I think.
Speaker 7: I think Zeke with that role of having just a split work between Rico, I think that could still be successful. Then they could be better off playing that way. And in certain tough scenarios like closer to the end zone, you can now lean more towards a guy like Leapke, like we've seen him do some of that. I mean, he had that one mistake in that game where he dolphins chair drop the ball or something, but I think he can be that weapon that you bring in at certain times at unique times. But the combination of Rico and Zeke, I think I have my hopes and hopefully, I mean we haven't seen it just yet, but I think that could work. So to me, I would say just having Rico's health more important. And I'll give you just a funny observation that you know the little thing the machine where you put the ball and he goes and he goes.
Speaker 2: To whatever it's called, what is it called machine.
Speaker 7: After practice, you know how they do that with some of the players and they getting some extra work just catching the ball right there. Well, they had a few of the running backs and you know, everyone's waiting their turn, and Lipky he's doing his thing, and then Zeke is waiting off to the side and he's just waiting. Okay, Well it looked like was done with the work, and then Zeke started going in and then he's like, oh no, no, no, hold on, I'm still not done, and like just get in the stiff arm. And then Zeke is like, it's all good man, he took your find. But then Zike just walked off and took his helmet off and it's like, all right, I'm done. It wasn't It wasn't anything like I'm not causing drama or anything.
Speaker 2: It wasn't anything.
Speaker 7: But it was just like something surprising that you see that you don't tend to see younger players kind of be like that with a veteran guy. So with all that being said, I'm just saying Leaky is a guy to look for, and I think he has the the personality, the drive, and we've seen it last year on the field, how he was playing, and I think he will be very, very effective this year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I agree with you.
Speaker 2: Yeah you know, Oh yeah, I have a picture of the guy on your desk.
Speaker 8: I'll say this though, this is a really important position for this team because and this is nothing against.
Speaker 3: Dak Prescott, but I don't think I want Dak Prescott.
Speaker 8: Throwing the ball forty five times a game if they have no running game, you know, all of a sudden, and you know, interceptions happen. It's not all Dak's fault on interceptions, but the more you throw, the more the possibility of a ball clanging off somebody or somebody not running the right route or somebody you know, and then all of a sudden, it turns into turnovers.
Speaker 3: They have got to have They don't have to be the San Francisco.
Speaker 8: Forty nine ers running the football. They don't have to be the Baltimore Ravens running the football. But they don't need to be the thirty second ranked team running the football. And I think that that puts so much pressure on Dak and these receivers and tight ends if in fact they don't have a running game, and it might even put more pressure on their offensive line too to have to protect so and if, especially if you're dealing with a rookie left tackle, you know, how much do you really want to put him in harm's way early? So figuring out this running back room quickly before it, you know, goes into the point where, hell, the only way they can move the ball is throwing it. And that's not a problem. Sometimes with Dak, it's not a problem. Dak can throw the football and be just fine. We saw him finish second as the MVP. But throwing the football could also lead to more turnovers.
Speaker 4: That's a really good point. That's a really good point. You look at early in the season at Cleveland week one home and gets Baltimore week three, Homan gets Detroit week six at San Francisco. You need to win the time of possession battle on those games. And it's it's probably not a situation like the Amari Cooper situation was where maybe you can get five six weeks into the season and maybe address it. You gotta address that thing on the right of it, right, So that's gonna be an interesting factor in this whole whole equation.
Speaker 3: Final cutdowns will be big for them.
Speaker 8: Because maybe somebody will put a running back out there that they said, Okay, this guy is better than or maybe they just don't want to they don't want to chance it. And they could they could flip a pick and go get a guy and then say okay, let's plug him in and go.
Speaker 4: One of you got that. I would be interested to start talking to some folks about his molikue. I mean, if you're looking for a guy who could maybe bring some athletic presence to to marry with zek style. I mean, Malin Davis was a guy I think we were coming into camp last year as a guy like, hey, he could compete for an RB two type of role, and he ended up staying on the practice squad and just kind of fell off. And we haven't seen a whole lot of him out here yet, but I would like to see what he can bring from an athletic standpoint every season.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if you remember the playoff game against San Francisco when Pollard got hurt.
Speaker 5: Yeah he was.
Speaker 8: They didn't put him in, they went they went totally different direction there, So you wonder, but that was a previous regime in some in some ways with the running back coach and things like that, So you know, maybe it was a doghouse situation and now he's trying to kind of find his way out of that dog.
Speaker 6: It certainly felt like he fell out of favor with someone at some point, because there was a point where you thought he was kind of working himself into the mix, and then all of a sudden, it just seemed like he wasn't a part of the plans. All right, we appreciate you guys. John's will be back on Thursday and we'll get more and too. We'll go to tell you guys what's going on out here with these pads that'll be coming up today, So make sure you check out all the coverage on Dallas Cowboys dot Com till the End for Brian brought us Amber Garcia, Dick Harris.
Speaker 5: I'm Derek Eagleton. This has been the Break live on Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.